User Reviews for Megestrol systemic

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Megestrol Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Weight Loss.

Reviews for Megestrol to treat Weight Loss

"I'm 65 yr old female, for about a year I've been losing weight, no appetite, a couple bites and I'm full I never get hungry, I went a week ago to my primary care doctor I weighed 88 lbs my doctor wrote me a prescription for megestrol acet its been a week, I weighed myself after one week now I went from 88 lbs to 94 pounds my appetite is better . Wish I could heard of this medicine sooner, my goal is 120.00 thank god for my doc"

anna October 16, 2018

"I dropped from 114 lbs in February to 97 lbs July. My new doctor realized from my charts that I had went from 110 to 97 in a week because of "stress"; I am 39. Anyhow doc gave me Megastrol 20 mg 4 a day to help me gain weight and I went from 97 lbs to 123 lbs!! Its a miracle! Although the weight goes to my butt and thighs, my belly is huge also!! I am happy about my weight gain I am 5`6. Soon I am going to have to start toning up because this belly is not attractive. But this medicine does work! It took about 2 week for me to see weight gain and after that it didn't stop. I eat everything and stay hungry. Also I've dropped the dose to 2-3 a day."

justbe78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

"From time to time in the past 15 yrs I just start losing weight fast. Had a lot of test done and doctors find no reason why but this has been the only medicine that keeps my weight on and in control. I love this medicine. I only use it for 2 months straight out of the year every year."

Mariamer (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

"Megace is a medication that is similar to progesterone. It is given to people who keep to losing weight relating to Aids or other illness eg anorexia. So it is used to help these people increase there appetite and weight and NOT to treat people with obesity and overweight!"

Oncologist + Obesity Medicine August 13, 2018

"Today will be my first day to be on this medication. I am a healthy female, but need to gain weight. I will post my results soon. Weight today (05/19/2017) is 145lbs........to be continued (goal...160lbs)"

Wanna gain weight (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

"Always been 80 lbs since high school. No appetite, always ate in small portions. Taken this medication before but the 1st time I took in 2011 I gained weigh but also gained esophagus spasms from all the gorging I did so it's now permanently a side effect, yay. I started taking it again Feb 22, 2017 weighed in at 80.6 lbs, as of today, March 23, 2017, I'm weighing in at 100.4. I haven't taken it in 3 days to see if I can keep the appetite and use when needed. It's a great weight gain but there are side effects. Mine include no period, no sex drive, severe cold night sweats, hot flashes, the esophagus spasms, & swelling of arms & legs when active. These are the pros that some may consider cons- constantly hyper."

AidnAizMommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

"I have been skinny all my life , but due some medical issues i lost some more weight and ended up at 95lbs (5'4). During my hospital stay a Nutritionist told me about Megace and said i can try it and see if it helps me. After I got out of the hospital I went to pick up the Medication and started it right away. I started by the end of November 2017 and gained over 27 lbs so far. I cant be happier.No side effects at all beside not getting my period. I definitely recommend MEGACE."

Jeylady (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2017

"After stopping the megestrol yesterday after 2 months due to loss of weight during suspected lung cancer I have had continual very loose bowel movements so far all day the following day. Is this a side effect of coming off the medicine.. If anyone else has had this experience I would like to know about it as I didn't see this as a side effect in the literature"

RayJM1936 November 29, 2016

Megace ES (megestrol): "My insurance will not cover this medication for what I'm being treated for. I was prescribed this medicine for extreme weight loss."

Betty Appleton November 17, 2016

"I had lost about 40 pounds before I started taking megestrol. I am a big eater, my body just never gained the weight. The drs had tried other medications, but none of them worked. On Oct 13, 2016, I went to the Dr and she prescribed me the megestrol. I had lost too much weight. About 3 weeks later, I had a drs appointment & had gained about 10 pounds !!! I was so happy. I finished up the rest of my prescription and went for the checkup I was to have a month after taking it. The Dr was very pleased with the results. She wrote out another prescription with refills and I plan to keep taking it. It is the only thing that has worked for me & is the generic form. Try it"

Dj2016 October 21, 2016

Megace ES (megestrol): "I took this drug for 6 months due to weight loss-no appetite-down to 75 pounds. My old insurance covered--then when new insurance was started in jan 2014, no coverage available. This was WONDERFUL!!! For the first time in my life, I was hungry, enjoyed food and was always looking forward to my next meal. I would purchase if I could afford because this was the BEST thing that could happen to me--someone who has NO appetite!! No side effects for me."

bghutch (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2016

"My Father is elderly, disabled, debilitated & has leukemia. He was given a Rx for the liquid form of this drug by his Hematology/Oncology P.A. Off & on, this Rx was used to stimulate his appetite. We were never told of the significant risks for use by the elderly, especially for those with cancer. We were told by the P.A. that this Rx could be used as needed, intermittently, without worry. A month ago, Dad had a life-threatening event which required an ambulance ride, a week in the hospital, and now long-term use of a blood thinner. Initial evaluation in the ER & subsequent conversations with the Hospitalist, indicated the reason for the blood clots in both lungs, both legs & throughout the body was linked to this Rx."

Daddy's child (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2015

"Was losing weight like crazy, too much weight. Doc put me on megestrol , gained 25lbs in a month!! Still gaining weight. Love it."

Iron Man Rob P September 6, 2015

"I took this for weight gain. In the beginning I took it everyday for a month. I went from 80lbs to 115lbs in one month. I overdid it. So I stopped taking it and would only take it when my appetite would subside and just take it for a week and when I was hungry again I would stop. I would keep the appetite (a normal one) for about a month before needing more. However, I am going to stop taking it. I have NO sex life with hubby. I have almost NO desire. I don't know If its from the medicines. It also gives me chills pretty bad. I think it makes me very fatigued as well but not 100 percent. From all I have read is this medicine stops the production of testosterone which is why."

katem95799 May 8, 2014

"Been very thin all my life (high metabolism). I'm 40 & 5'5 weighing at 92 lbs. I was too thin and wanting to gain weight. A friend suggested Megace. I took 1 teaspoon 3 times a day. I gained 7 lbs in the first week. After 3 weeks I am up to 117lbs where I wanted to be. I feel and look much healthier. Con was my appetite was insatiable. I only wanted to eat ALL DAY. I always had food with me if I went out. I ended up with a food baby (that's what I call it) belly. I looked pregnant. That went away when I stopped taking it. It did stop my periods but when I'd stop taking it the periods would always return. It did make me very thirsty all the time as well. Other than that I love it! Take 1 tsp every other 2-3 days now to maintain the weight."

Too Thin (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2012

Megace (megestrol): "Oncologist ordered it for mom's stage 4 lung cancer symptoms. It did an amazing job increasing her appetite which helped her keep weight on."

Eldest daughter June 9, 2012

Megace ES (megestrol): "Had an elderly aunt that lost her appetite and was down to 82 pounds. Doctor told her if she loses anymore weight, she will need to be hospitalized. After 3 months, she is now up to 100lbs."

Anonymous April 11, 2012

"I had a lung infection (emphysema and an abscess) and I had always had very low weight. I have had appetite problems all my life. During my illness I was down to 104 lbs, after taking megestrol I am now up to 154lbs and am doing fine. I credit megestrol with saving my life. I still take 20mg everyday to keep my appetite going. What a great medicine."

Chuck Wyo February 10, 2011

Megace ES (megestrol): "I've used Megace to help with lack of feeling hungry which results in poor protein intake. Megace keeps my hunger level at a point where I want to eat and can keep my weight and nutrition up."

mark58 November 16, 2009

Megace ES (megestrol): "My mum has leukemia. This medicine helped her when she wasn't eating."

Anonymous December 28, 2008