User Reviews for Dronabinol

Also known as: Marinol, Syndros

Dronabinol has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 49 ratings on Drugs.com. 83% of those users who reviewed Dronabinol reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced
7.3
Summary of Dronabinol reviews 8.4 49 reviews

Reviews for Dronabinol

MommaBunny3 · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

For Anorexia: “Since day 1 on this I have eaten more than I have in years. Before I was only able to take a few small bite than felt sick as if I was going to vomit. Now I'm eating lunch and dinner and I clear my plate. I do feel bloated after eating but I'm not use to eating 2 meals a day more or less a few bites. Now I don't feel bad when my husband takes me out to eat because I can actually eat that 30 dollar plate of food without wasting money and food.”

A mom March 18, 2021

For Anorexia: “This medication has been life changing. I’ve been battling this disease for over 25 years, and this is the only medication that actually worked and allowed me to eat.”

ETEQ · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 24, 2021

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “In terms of PTSD, Dronabinol has been an absolute game-changer for me. From having constant terrible nightmares and flashbacks I now dream about happy unicorns.”

sweet leaf · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2018

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “My father who has cancer was wilting away from the pain meds and associated nausea and vomiting. No water either. Mentally he was in a real bad place. CBD/THC 4:1 oil and marinol have completely turned him around. He is now is only on one prescribed medication versus before three all of which caused drowsiness. Gaining weight and cracking jokes. Ridiculous how a substance that doesnt cause death by overdose, gives you an appetite and makes you happy is not available over the counter. Especially when alcohol which is much worse is not only legal but glorified. Legalize it. Don't criticize it.”

B · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2019

Marinol (dronabinol) for Anorexia: “My father was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma that had spread to his spinal fluid and put pressure on his brain. He was nauseous and unable to eat (and sometimes drink) for weeks before the final diagnosis. Once they figured it out and started heavy steroids, he wasn’t particularly nauseous but he wouldn’t eat. Since there is no effective treatment for the cancer, we were looking for quality of life. Marinol got rid of the last of his queasiness and stimulated his appetite, allowing him to start eating again. Although we’ll lose him soon, at least he has more energy to sit with his friends and occasionally play the piano. It has made a big, positive difference.”

Madden28 June 20, 2016

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “My boyfriend has cancer and was receiving two kinds of chemotherapy. Along with blood clots and a drain in his leg he was in alot of pain. When receiving chemo we would stay in the hospital for three days and even with the neulasta shot and all the IV anti nausea meds he still was sick. Finally he was prescribed marinol and it changed everything. The day we came home from the hospital after taking it he was well enough to go Frisbee golfing even with a drain in his leg! He never vomited again, and he actually got kinda chubby! The drug changed his attitude and I belive it gave him the strength he needed to fight his sarcoma. He's now in remission!”

Barjohn_89 September 26, 2016

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “After debilitating nausea and vomitting from radiation and chemotherapy and after trying all the normal drugs like zofran and some others I tried marinol. It was by the far the most effective for treating nausea and vomitting of any pharmaceutical. It gives a nice pleasant buzz as well. The problem for me was the over-stimulation of my appetite. I've never felt hunger like this in my entire life. Anyway, people who need this drug could probably use the extra appetite anyway.”

MooMooMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2017

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “I am surprised this isn't oncologists "go to" drug. After my first A/C infusion for breast cancer, I had severe nausea and vomiting immediately. The doctor prescribed 25 mg promethazine orally and rectally(in case I couldn't hold down the pill). All it did was make me sleep for hours, induce a migraine status headache, severe stomach pain/cramping, and I would still wake up vomiting. Then my doctor prescribed Dronabinol 5mg. It was a miracle drug. The stomach pain, nausea and vomiting completely stopped. It made me slightly tired in the beginning, but the feeling was more relaxed than tired therefore I could continue to function normally. It also stimulated my appetite which is very important for chemotherapy patient”

krbsshguy August 16, 2013

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “Ask you doctor to prescribe Marinol(dronainol) to cure you of your MAJOR Nausea problem. If you are taking large doses of medicines for CANCER OR HIV/AIDS then you probably get nauseous A LOT! We all know that its hard to get anything done when you are nauseated all day. This medicine is a game changer and a life saver. I would go as far as to say that this is a miracle. I'm still in shock how well it is helping my nausea since nothing I ever took before helped as much as this medicine!”

MikeM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 1, 2018

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “Marinol medication was given to me for extreme nausea due to gastroparesis. It has been a godsend. It loses some efficacy if you overuse it but very effective for nausea relief when others haven’t helped. I highly recommend this medication.”

Anonymous March 16, 2010

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “My Doctor prescribed Marinol after I had adverse reactions to most antiemetics given to me during chemotherapy. Converting from IV to oral cytotoxins, nausea made my quality of life poor. Marinol made such a positive change for me. Taking between 2.5 and 5 mgs, there is only about 20 minutes of silliness, which my family welcomes, then relief from vomiting for 6 to 8 hours. It has been a life saver for me and for my family.”

9INCHRODD August 22, 2009

Marinol (dronabinol) for Anorexia: “I suffer from appetite suppression as a result of medication which I take for narcolepsy(Amphetamine-based). Although the medicine works wonderfully, the only negative side effect that kills me is appetite suppression. Hence, my introduction to Marinol! I would like to clarify a common myth that Marinol is a form of prescription "medical marijuana". My doctor explained it is a synthetic cannabinoid, a distant chemical cousin of marijuana that lacks recreational effects at therapeutic doses. It works by activating the endocannabinoid system of the brain, which regulates appetite. When I first tried it, it started working by the end of the next day! ”

Mic B July 24, 2015

Marinol (dronabinol) for Anorexia: “ I have common variable immunodeficiency which causes anorexia. I found Marinol 5mg taken a couple hours before meals makes a huge difference. If I do not want to eat, ulcers etc, I found it easier with Marinol and have actually gained around 10lbs in the initial month or two..... I would recommend it for any patient with weight loss issues!”

mysunshinesummer122 April 7, 2015

Marinol (dronabinol) for Anorexia: “Amazing! My stress after my tonsilectomy led me to relapse into anorexia. This medication saved my life allowing me to enjoy flavors of food & gain 10 needed pounds. Amazing life changer and my depression is less chronic.”

Injuriedvet08 · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2014

Marinol (dronabinol) for Anorexia: “I am disabled veteran with spinal injury. The opioid med was all I knew for my back. I have since been amazed at the pain reliving ability of this medicine. It helps me eat and allows for a more positive day.”

Anonymous March 19, 2012

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “I have never personally taken this medication. However, my mother recently was prescribed to Marinol after other medications provided no relief from chemo induced nausea. Her first dose took about 3 hours to kick in (which is a long time when you're nauseated) but after that she's been a brand new person. I'm guessing it takes those first few hours to get fully in your system. She takes it twice a day and has had little to no nausea.”

Gensanwil · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2012

Marinol (dronabinol) for Anorexia: “I lost my appetite when I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis. I take 5mg twice a day. My stomach has to be completely empty in order to feel the effects of the pill. Even with a bowl of ice cream or a milkshake in my system I will not get anything from the pill. You have to time it right because the effects kick in an hour (or later) after taking it. It's hit or miss but when it hits it allows to me eat for 3 hours straight.”

TylerD'Este · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2014

Marinol (dronabinol) for Anorexia: “I have severe Gastroparesis at as very young age as a male. I have exhausted every single option other than surgery and nothing seemed to be working. My doctor recommended Marinol. At the time I did not know what the drug consisted of. He told me and I accepted it over the experimental surgeries they wanted to perform as the only other option. I began taking the medication for increasing my appetite, nausea, vomiting, and the pains associated with Gastroparesis. It has worked wonders for me and it doesn't have the same severe side effects like Phenergan, Reglan, Domperidone, etc,etc”

lucas1828 · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2014

Marinol (dronabinol): “I've had chronic pancreatitis for about 7 years. I've struggled with nausea and vomiting for so long. Reglan, Scopolamine, Phenargan, Zofran I've been on all of them. Yes they worked at first but Marinol is best for me. For the first time in years I'm not sick! I don't have appetite like some do, it does make me giddy for an hour or 2 but I'm finally not sick at my stomach!”

Bear Croft · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2017

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I have PTSD, 2 double lung transplants, bronchomalacia, gastroparesis, nissen fundoplication. A-Fib, A-Flutter, vertigo, pulmonary artery stent, cardiac arrest, sternal wires, artificial right hip. extruded and mangled L4 and L5. two back surgeries, smashed thoracic vertebrae, broken toes. broken ribs, CMV, donor specific antibodies. Blah blah blah. a lot more to go, but marinol has been a savior. Keeps me from puking daily, knocks out most of my pain, and does wonders for my anxiety. Screw taking klonopin, norco, and zofran. This covers most of the bases very well.”

S · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “My doctor prescribed dronabinol off-label for PTSD-related anxiety and insomnia while I wait for my medical cannabis card to come. I’ve never used marijuana or THC before. I was instructed to take 1-2 before bed as needed. I started with 1. Nothing happened. No tiredness, no groggy feeling, no munchies and definitely no high. Next, I tried 2, as prescribed. It was horrid. I tossed and turned trying to fall asleep. I woke up after 90 minutes feeling dizzy, nauseous, confused, paranoid, sweaty and anxious. The muscles in the bottoms of my eyes felt like they were spasming when they were fully open (they weren’t.) I felt disconnected from my body, in spite of the fact that I was feeling very ill. I was sick to my stomach, dizzy and had no appetite the following day. This drug made me very sick. I hope the full plant has better therapeutic effects, once I am eligible.”

Ty March 12, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “Since my doctor prescribed me dronabinol I no longer have nightmares and greatly reduced my anxiety attacks as a result from my PTSD. With absolutely no high, my dose I am taking is 10mg 3 times a day.”

skypuppy · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 17, 2012

Marinol (dronabinol) for Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “I have the 2.5 version. It works well about 90% of the time, while Zofran, works about 50% of the time for me. However, I don't like taking even one because of the hangover the next day. Further, it enhances the chronic pain, making the pain worse, sometimes. Never know when that will happen. ”

Tonnie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “I have advanced small cell lung cancer. I'm currently now up to 104 lbs thanks to dronabinol. I have an increased appetite and overall sense of relaxation with the drug. I think it's wonderful. It does what it says and just enjoy the feeling it gives you and relax and EAT! I've gained weight and it relaxes me. Same high as weed just takes longer to kick in. I think people are waiting on euphoria because it's made in a lab. Same thing just give it time. It's pure THC! Chill out , relax and enjoy!”

Anonymous September 13, 2009

Marinol (dronabinol) for Anorexia: “My grandmother was given this in the hospital for anorexia and nausea. She began having tremors after the first dose. It was discontinued, and we are on the second full day post discontinuation, and she is still shaking, severe hallucinations, and mental status changes. ”

mobuckner21 · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “I have gastroparesis and a pacemaker for it in my stomach. I've been on every nausea medicine and this is the only one that worked!! I felt so relaxed and my mood went up and my appetite is better than it was.”

what · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 31, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “I've been on Marinol for about 2 years for nausea, appetite, pain and anxiety. I've had 12 surgery's on my stomach and close by areas I've lost 50lbs in the past couple years and it would of been a lot worse without Marinol. It works on multiple areas yet now my insurance won't pay for it after 2 years and its $300 a month so I'm not sure what to do besides the old fashion way but I would rather the Marinol thank you.”

Tennessee75 September 13, 2014

For Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced: “My mother was given dronabinol almost 3 weeks ago before starting chemo. She was so weak from not eating much in 3 months. I ask the doctor to start her on it a few days before she started chemo to see if it helped her to eat. I was afraid she wouldn't make it through chemo because she was already so weak. Monday will be her third week. So far she has not been sick, not one day and she has also gained 5 lbs. Thanks to God and my mothers miracle pill I really believe she will be able to beat this thing. I just wish it wasn't so hard to get insurance companies to pay for this.”