Generic Name: Dronabinol Capsules (droe NAB i nol)
Brand Name: Marinol
Uses of Dronabinol Capsules:
- It is used to help you eat more.
- It is used to treat upset stomach and throwing up.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Dronabinol Capsules?
- If you have an allergy to this medicine (dronabinol capsules) or any part of this medicine.
- If you have an allergy to sesame oil.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with this medicine (dronabinol capsules) like certain cough or cold remedies, diet pills, drugs for mental or mood problems, or stimulants like amphetamine. There are many drugs that must not be taken with this drug.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take this medicine (dronabinol capsules). You may also need to avoid breast-feeding for some time after your last dose. Talk with your doctor to see if you need to avoid breast-feeding after your last dose.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (dronabinol capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Dronabinol Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (dronabinol capsules) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- High or low blood pressure can happen after this medicine is started or after the dose is raised. Changes in blood pressure may raise the chance of falling. Older people and people with heart problems may have a higher chance of changes in blood pressure and falling. Talk with the doctor.
- Check blood pressure and heart rate as the doctor has told you. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine (dronabinol capsules).
- Do not smoke or use other forms of cannabis (marijuana) while taking this medicine. Talk with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may cause mood changes when you start taking it. Be sure there is someone you can trust to help you if needed when you take this drug.
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had drug abuse, alcohol abuse, or mental or mood problems.
- If you stop taking this medicine (dronabinol capsules) all of a sudden, you may have signs of withdrawal. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. However, the doctor may decide the benefits of taking this medicine outweigh the risks. If your child has been given this medicine (dronabinol capsules), ask the doctor for information about the benefits and risks. Talk with the doctor if you have questions about giving this medicine to your child.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (dronabinol capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking this medicine, call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Dronabinol Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (dronabinol capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- If you are using this medicine to help you eat more, take this medicine (dronabinol capsules) 1 hour before lunch and dinner or as your doctor has told you.
- If you are using this medicine to treat upset stomach and throwing up, follow what your doctor has told you to do about taking this medicine (dronabinol capsules) with or without food.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, change in eyesight.
- Mental, mood, or behavior changes that are new or worse.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- A fast heartbeat.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Not able to focus.
- Change in balance.
- Feeling very sleepy.
- Feeling confused.
- Stomach pain, upset stomach, or throwing up that is new or worse.
- Mouth sores.
What are some other side effects of Dronabinol Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling high (easy laughing and feeling good).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Dronabinol Capsules?
- Store at a cool temperature of 46°F to 59°F (8°C to 15°C) or in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine (dronabinol capsules) or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine (dronabinol capsules). This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
Review Date: December 6, 2017
More about dronabinol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 38 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous antiemetics