User Reviews for Megestrol (Page 4)

Also known as: Megace ES

Megestrol has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 111 ratings on Drugs.com. 66% of those users who reviewed Megestrol reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
Cachexia
Summary of Megestrol reviews 7.5 111 reviews

Reviews for Megestrol

Gemini March 25, 2018

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “I was diagnosed with complex endometrial hyperplasia about 2 weeks ago. I actually ended up in the ER from bloodloss. I almost died. Had to have 4 blood transfusions. Had an emergency D&C and test came back complex endometrial hyperplasia. I've been on this medication 40 mg twice a day now for 2 weeks. The only things I'm experiencing are constipation, insomnia, mood changes. My dr wants me back in 3 months to do a biopsy and also get an IUD. In 3 months we will see how I'm doing. I hope it goes away because my fiance and I want to have a baby but everything has been put on hold until the dr gives is the 'okay'. I only gave 7 stars because I haven't been on it long enough or had a check up yet to see how its working. But for me its been pretty mild. -Gemini”

D'Ann December 9, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I am 46yrs old having my period 34 days and for over two weeks with extremely heavy bleeding , going through ultra tampon every hour. I also had clots the size muchin hole donuts. So My doctor put me on Megestrol 40mg once a day on 12-4 and by that evening the bleeding slowed down so much that I only had to use a panty liner for spotting. I have been taking it for only four days. I am grateful for this medication. Hopefully when I return to my doctor surgery is not an issue anymore. And this stops my period for good.”

P.A. July 29, 2020

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “I have been struggling with endometrial hyperplasia for about 5 years now. This is my first time sticking to my recommended dosage because my husband and I are trying to conceive. I definitely have cravings and find myself eating and not even hungry so it has been important for me to really get a grip on it and try intermittent fasting. My weight is a main cause of my condition I believe. Other symptoms I have experienced are very light, mild vaginal cramping. Usually like a throbbing feeling. This may happen randomly for a moment and then I might not feel anything for days. Some pelvic and abdominal cramping but again faint and not often. I have a few days of old blood discharge after my first month, 1 day of spotting into the 2nd month. Going into month 3 now. Im taking 40mg 2x a day and have a D&C at the end of Aug to follow up.”

Katydid22 August 6, 2016

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “Began taking this medication in April and still on it in August. I was bleeding heavily for 5 months. A biopsy revealed Hyperplasia with atypia. This medication stopped my period but gave me intense night sweats, headaches, breast pain and weight gain. I'll be having a hysterectomy in September.”

QUETPYE June 16, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was prescribed the medication for relief of heavy bleeding during my period due to fibroids and adenomyosis. The 1st and 2nd months were wonderful! I took it the first day of my cycle until the end of my cycle. It actually stopped the bleeding completely. After the 2nd month, I had some spotting and my blood pressure elevated. I stopped taking it after my cycle and my pressure went to normal. I started spotting that increased over time and resumed but had to stop because I realized it raised my blood pressure. I've now been bleeding for 2 weeks and had to go on amlodipine to lower my blood pressure because it has not gone down.”

Amber234 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after D&C. I started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger. Even my hair started falling out..very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !”

TammyByrd September 24, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was bleeding very heavy, I could soak through a super plus tampon and a huge after pregnancy pad within minutes. I was passing clots so big they wouldn’t fit down the shower drain. My doctor put me on 40mg of Megestrol 1x a day over 3 months ago, so far I had 2 days in a row of light spotting. I love this stuff!!!! I’m actually taking this instead of getting a full hysterectomy. My only concern is I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery about a week ago and I’ve had some pretty intense uterine pain with heavy bleeding and blood clots since. I stopped taking the Megestrol for a few days thinking nature would run it’s course, I started taking it again and the uterine pain started back up. I hope this surgery didn’t wreck Megestrol for me.”

skinnim · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2018

For Anorexia: “I have always been a small girl, never weighing over 100lbs even in my early twenties. Two years ago I went through a depression and lost so much weight and barely had an appetite. My primary care doctor prescribed this medication and It really helped. My appetite picked back up. I went from eating one meal a day to eating all 3 meals a day plus snacks. I went from 100 to 125 in about two months. After I finished the bottle I went back down, but was able to maintain a fair weight of 115lbs. It's good for any person struggling to have an appetite and to gain weight. However, side effects for me included: no period, too many bathroom runs(especially during the night), and gas! Other than that I am happy.”

Still fighting precancer · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2017

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “I was diagnosed with complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia on 8/9/17 and began megestrol on 8/12/17. I slowly began experiencing common symptoms such as weight gain and increased appetite, but then I slowly started experiencing increased mood swings, irritability, insomnia, itchy body, and shortness of breath. What made me finally call the doctor on 9/19/17, was me being up at 3am with the inability to breath. I was informed to discontinue due to allergic reactions. On 9/21/17 I began with joint pain and swelling on my hands and wrists. By Friday, 9/22/17, I couldn't function for myself at all. My entire left arm and both hands were useless and I ended up in the ER where I learned this is all allergic reactions as well.”

Pee · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2018

Megace ES (megestrol) for Anorexia: “I have picked up some weight, not as fast and I hoped and I don't really see the results in my body weight, but the scales read different. I have increased my appetite but is very full feeling and bloated”

RayJM1936 November 29, 2016

For Weight Loss: “After stopping the megestrol yesterday after 2 months due to loss of weight during suspected lung cancer I have had continual very loose bowel movements so far all day the following day. Is this a side effect of coming off the medicine.. If anyone else has had this experience I would like to know about it as I didn't see this as a side effect in the literature”

Oncologist + Obesity Medicine August 13, 2018

For Weight Loss: “Megace is a medication that is similar to progesterone. It is given to people who keep to losing weight relating to Aids or other illness eg anorexia. So it is used to help these people increase there appetite and weight and NOT to treat people with obesity and overweight!”

Luna · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2020

For Endometrial Cancer: “I had an oophorectomy due to a tumor on one ovary and had lost so much weight and could not eat or function properly. I had increased anxiety, insomnia, and no appetite. Megace helps me sleep and I eat normally while I'm on it. It has helped me gain almost 15 pounds in three months of being on it with regular sleep and no cysts/tumors! Truly saved me!”

Mommy43 · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2020

For Weight Loss: “So I started taking Megestrol 40mg 5 mls one time a day to gain weight. No I dont have cancer/AIDS/Anorexia I simply wanted to gain weight. So my OBGYN prescribed this horrible drug with all of these chemicals/side affects and I've been bleeding every since. Before taking it my periods were normal and on time. Now I might have to get a blood transfusion because I've been bleeding for 10 days straight. I hate that I ever took this drug. I'm going to have a talk with her tomorrow and it's not going to be pretty..”

SNicole82 March 15, 2021

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “I have been taking this for about 2 weeks for hyperplasia with atypia. I had not really had any side effects until last night when I begin to have these awful leg cramps that made my legs feel tight and weak. My heart begin to race, I couldn't sleep (insomnia), and I just started feeling overall bad. I sent my doctor a message and awaiting a response. If these are the side effects, I don't know if I can continue these meds. I am supposed to take 40mg once per day for 3 months.”

Anonymous November 14, 2008

Megace (megestrol) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “For abnormal bleeding with no known cause this medicine has been a God send for me. Instead of having my period 365 days a year, I don't get any now.”

Eldest daughter June 9, 2012

Megace (megestrol) for Weight Loss: “Oncologist ordered it for mom's stage 4 lung cancer symptoms. It did an amazing job increasing her appetite which helped her keep weight on.”

Iron Man Rob P September 6, 2015

For Weight Loss: “Was losing weight like crazy, too much weight. Doc put me on megestrol , gained 25lbs in a month!! Still gaining weight. Love it.”

Anonymous April 11, 2012

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: “Had an elderly aunt that lost her appetite and was down to 82 pounds. Doctor told her if she loses anymore weight, she will need to be hospitalized. After 3 months, she is now up to 100lbs.”

mark58 November 16, 2009

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: “I've used Megace to help with lack of feeling hungry which results in poor protein intake. Megace keeps my hunger level at a point where I want to eat and can keep my weight and nutrition up.”

Anonymous December 28, 2008

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: “My mum has leukemia. This medicine helped her when she wasn't eating.”

Jen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 7, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Was on 20mg twice a day after bleeding for 18 months and it stopped it Until I was told to stop taking it”

Yanick · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Excessive bleeding due to fibroids for 14 days. Went to my doctor he gave me this medication. My bleeding stop in 2 hours. I love this medication.”

Niecie · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 21, 2015

Megace ES (megestrol) for Anorexia: “Very thin woman age 58 my first experience with this medicine was excellent. Now the generic Megestrol Does nothing for me. Went through 9 bottles with no weight gain. ”

mycal August 17, 2010

Megace ES (megestrol) for Anorexia: “Medication works great for SHORT TERM usage. Long term usage can suppress your adrenal glands and suppress your Hypothalmic-pituitary-adrenal axis.”