User Reviews for Megestrol (Page 3)

Also known as: Megace ES

Megestrol has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 111 ratings on Drugs.com. 66% of those users who reviewed Megestrol reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
Cachexia
Summary of Megestrol reviews 7.5 111 reviews

Reviews for Megestrol

Reenee August 1, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started spotting in May or June. Eventually it got heavier and heavier to the point I could not wear tampons and I had to double up on pads. I started to pass blood clots like I have never seen before. This is disgusting but it was to the point where when I was standing up I could feel something trying to exit my body and would have to run to the bathroom. I went to my OB had an ultra sound and was diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia. I also had a biopsy that came back normal (no cancer). Praise the lord. I took megestrol 40mg 1x per day. It did almost work immediately however it made me soooo tired that all I wanted to do was sleep. Once the bleeding stopped I took it for about 1 more week and stopped the meds. Well here we are 3 weeks later back to same old. Taking the med again. I decided ablation may be best for me and will talk to my OB in 4 days. Hopefully it works the 2nd time. I don't want to take this anymore.”

Anonymous August 8, 2011

For Anorexia: “I have been under weight throughout my life and I was recommended to take this medication, after two weeks I can literally feel my appetite is off the roof, and I have gained more than 5lbs, that's amazing. I was put on 400mg/daily, initially. Only down side is the medication is very expensive. Highly recommended.”

Wanna gain weight · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2017

For Weight Loss: “Today will be my first day to be on this medication. I am a healthy female, but need to gain weight. I will post my results soon. Weight today (05/19/2017) is 145lbs........to be continued (goal...160lbs)”

Cheeks October 7, 2020

For Anorexia: “I am a 29 year old female. I have been quite petite after having two kids (I nursed both). My metabolism is extraordinarily fast. Fast forward to a couple years later, a doctor finally found something to help me— Megastrol! The year is 2020. I started taking this medicine in August. I was weighing 97 pounds and I’m 5’2. It’s now October and I’ve already gained 10 pounds. I’m 107! I also do weight training with my husband, so my weight isn’t fat— it’s lean muscle mass! This medication gives you a huge appetite, so eat in moderation and healthy. I encourage working out if you’re able. I may not appear “thick” like most women my age but I have a very nice and toned body! The results are amazing! I notice the changes in my thighs, glutes, and arms. When I first started this, I did get occasional hot flashes and a slight feeling of nausea. Both subsided after a couple of weeks. Nothing unbearable. *My doctor gave me 1Ml dosage, twice a day.*”

jademoe125 · Taken for 10 years or more August 19, 2013

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “I've been on Megestrol for a little over 10 years. Started with 40mg at first for about 6 years now down to 20mg. This medication worked great for the endometrial hyperplasia, however there are side effects. The side effects I noticed were my hair was falling out, I have a weaker stomach, low sexual desire (dosage was changed to 20mg). My hair came back but the others are still there. Comparing the side effects to it's effectiveness, I still take Megestrol as of today.”

mackka December 3, 2014

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: “I took this after I had surgery on my ovaries. It gave me bad insomnia, hot flashes and really bad weight gain. Once I was off of it I was ok. I am once again on Megace for Hyperplasia and I am experiencing hot flashes and weight gain once again, but now within the month that I have been taking it my blood sugar is going up and I am fatigued all the time.”

Amber234 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after Dand C.i started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger Also even hair a started falling out. Very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !”

NaTasha · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started the medication June 20 on my Day 2 which is normally about 150 ml or more of blood, it stopped for 12 hrs. Day 3 I took and it stopped but then came back. I stopped taking meds. By Day 12 of bleeding went to see ob and he said I wasn't taking meds right. (I only wanted to take a couple of days since I was traveling to NC and would not be able to stop every hour). Anyways, I went back to taking 40 mg a day, no more bleeding and my period is 7 days late. I figure I have 9 days of meds left maybe it will start then. Side Effects: severe stomach pains, blurred vision, dizziness, leg cramps). Good thing it has helped I was scheduled to either do ablation or hysterectomy. I normally loose 242-300 ml of blood a cycle, I use the diva cup, plus have to wear a diaper.”

Ayse · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 5, 2016

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Cancer: “I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer (very early stage) at age 40. As an alternative to hysterectomy, I tried hormone therapy: 160 mg Megace every day. endometrial thickness dropped from approximately 2 cm to a few mm in 6 months. No change in appetite. Skin oil production in the face dropped, which was great as I normally have oily skin. I had small uterine fibroids before Megace, which started to grow big and fast, which was the worst side effect.”

Fayelace · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started this medication for abnormally heavy bleeding and I took it before bed. It made me drowsy but by morning no more bleeding which feels great. I noticed a little pink once after using bathroom and now that’s it’s been a week and a half I’m using regular size tampons. It’s not filling them at all. It’s like am I starting my period or just spotting, is it going to get heavy or stop? Not sure what to expect. I was so happy it was working so not sure it is now. Been thinking about ablation or hysterectomy. Just love being women yay”

Mariamer · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2018

For Weight Loss: “From time to time in the past 15 yrs I just start losing weight fast. Had a lot of test done and doctors find no reason why but this has been the only medicine that keeps my weight on and in control. I love this medicine. I only use it for 2 months straight out of the year every year.”

T-oski July 30, 2009

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: “At the six week point I began bleeding and have been bleeding heavily for two weeks. Also swelling of feet and ankles as well as a weird 'whooshing' sound in my ear. I think the Megestrol turned on me.”

Ash · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Today is day 2 taking the medicine, I have Von Willebrand Disease & I’ve been bleeding & passing clots since Feb 5th non stop. In the last year my cycle was regular up until now. The bleeding has stopped, but I’m still weak from all the bleeding. I had a iron treatment on Thursday so hopefully it help soon. For as the pill goes everything have stopped hopefully I can get back regular & the doctor can figure what what’s going on with me. This is so scary.”

Pepperdoggie November 6, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “58 years old and still having a period with heavy bleeding and clots due to fibroids. FSH and estrogen test results show no sign of menopause happening soon. Starting this medication, 3 days 3 pills each day then, 2 days 2 pills each day , then next 7 days/1 pill per day. Just finished this pill cycle and no bleeding. I have a second prescription but I always want to eat on this medication and fighting not to eat all day is just wearing me out, along with chest pains and tired. And oh did I mention eating.....gained 5 pounds. Adominal Hysterectomy in 2 months.”

Lioness1769 October 30, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started taking this medication for heavy bleeding. I was having periods that lasted 9 - 10 days it went to 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, now a month and counting. I noticed that when I skipped a dose or 2 the bleeding decreased. So I did some research and found that one of the side effects was increased bleeding. I also had night sweats and felt thirsty all the time like I was dehydrated. An ablation has been recommended but now I'm not sure if it's needed due to the side effects.”

Slim · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2020

For Weight Loss: “I’m 45 years old and weight sits between 114- 120 I’ve always been slim it runs in my family. I was diagnosed with AIDS in 2011 & put on my meds. I know I’m suppose to be 140 so I asked my pain management dr for megace. My first month I went from 118 to 140 then after 3 months I’m 161 with the weight in my thighs & butt. Only side effect is no period. ”

Coinman · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2018

For Anorexia: “I'm a male in my 30s. I've always been skinny but when I got down to 104 lbs (at 6 foot tall), I started getting scared. My doctor prescribed Megace to help give me an appetite. After about 3 months, I was up to 120 lbs. It doesn't give me cravings; I simply find myself eating more. In my case, there's only been one real side effect and that's been night sweats which can get fairly bad at times. They don't happen every night, but sometimes it will happen multiple times & wake me up during the night. For males, it can affect sex drive, but that hasn't really been an issue for me thankfully.”

kapla · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2017

For Endometrial Cancer: “Gained over 25 lbs. On it for uterine cancer. It helped stopped horrible bleeding before my surgery and also gave me back my appetite. Since then weight loss had been very stubborn and I became "thick" all over, the kind of fat you see on Santa's belly. My mood swings were bad, I was constantly irritated and lost my filter when it came to reacting. I was constantly tired as well, but that could have been cancer-related fatigue. It's been 8 months now since taking megestrol and I have lost maybe 10 lbs.”

Cece904 October 18, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was put on Meagace 40mg tab twice a day for 60 days to stop abnormal bleeding. It worked for the first 45 days but I then began to bleed again. My doctor put me back on the medication but I am still bleeding. It no longer works. I wonder if I should increase my dose.”

Brina · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started this medication upon finding out I had PCOS. My OB prescribes progesterone for heavy bleeding but it did not work. I ended up going to the ER for low hemoglobin due to constant bleeding and was giving megestrol. It worked immediately but was told to stop taking if trying to have a baby. My husband and I want to try but 2 weeks after stopping my period started again. I tried taking it again to see if it would stop and 2 weeks later it hasn’t. Seems like it works the first round, after that it isn’t effective. I did gain 12 pounds very fast while on it.”

SaraHobs December 11, 2015

For Anorexia: “I always have been 85 pounds even when I passed my teen mark. When I went to see my Gastro doctor he prescribed this. The first month, I was finally able to eat snacks. I ate and ate. And at times I would eat too much I couldn't eat for the next meal. I gained 20 pounds, but since I didn't fill out much, my stomach got bigger instead. The side effects I had was not having a period. After my medication ran out, in 3-4 weeks. My period came but it came twice, one week skip after the other. Then I experienced servere headaches for weeks. After that came a strong depression that I could finally feel, it made me want to cry. Then I got the refill and it stopped the depression. But after I finished taking it,a daily small depression came back”

Reenee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “UPDATE....I went to visit my OB because as you can see in my other comment from 2019-08-01 under Reenee, I started bleeding again once I stopped and started the medicine for a 2nd time. My Dr told me to start taking 2 per day. It did stop the clotting but I still bled for a full week before it finally stopped. So it did work the 2nd time just with an extra dose and it took longer than the 1st time. The side effect were a little different the 2nd time. I was not as tired but I did have some chest pain, gas, frequent urination, maybe a UTI and I was super thirsty. End result is that I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday. I am getting the Nova sure (abalation) done. My OB said its very effective and I should experience light or no bleeding at all. Fingers crossed!!!!”

Nogains · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

For Weight Loss: “I was put in 40 mg of megestrol a day for being underweight and having no appetite. I desperately wanted to gain weight (I’m 5’2” and 85 lb) today is day 18 of taking this drug and I have experienced no change in my appetite whatsoever. I’m still giving it 10 stars because technically weight gain is not the purpose of the drug. My side effects were headache and chest pain the first week which went away and extreme thirst at night and some light gas. Really bummed I couldn’t gain any weight on it though.”

LMD · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2019

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “This is my story, had failed IVF. Abnormal uterine bleeding from the last miscarriage, on and off menstrual period, not heavy at all. I technically not ovulating and rarely menstruate. June 2019, I went to see RE for water ultrasound to R/U polyps, and yes my suspicious was right. Polyps removed, found advanced hyperplasia grade 1, placed on Megace 160mg daily. First month, October 2019, no bleeding, second month November, started spotting, and I called my doctors and was told it was normal. Until today, 12/9/2019, I am spotting. No heavy flow or clots. I read an article that this medication regulates period of there was amenorrhea but for those who are menopausal. So, now I am unsure at my age of 42, I am menopausal. I am very confused”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2018

For Anorexia: “I’ve been skinny all my life.. I’ve tried different supplements and medications to try to gain weight. Most of them put me to sleep and I didn’t want that. My physician prescribed me 40mg megestrol.. when I first went to the doctor I weighted in at 100lbs even. After 3 weeks I’m already 8lbs heavier. I want 22 more pounds though. Haven’t had many side effects so I’m going to rate it at a 9 until I gain my full 30lbs.”