User Reviews for Megestrol (Page 2)

Also known as: Megace ES

Megestrol has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 111 ratings on Drugs.com. 66% of those users who reviewed Megestrol reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
Cachexia
Summary of Megestrol reviews 7.5 111 reviews

Reviews for Megestrol

Jeylady February 3, 2017

For Anorexia: “I have been taking Megace now since end if November 2016 and gained 34lbs so far . Never in my life did I thought I would be able to to gain that much. I look and feel so much healthier. Megace gives me appetite all day. I m able to eat my whole plate in restaurants now and eat tons of snacks throughout the day .... If you want or need to gain weight then Megace is the best.”

LindaJBU · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2012

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: “Took 20mgs. of Megase for 4 months then 10mgs. for another 3 months and had NO side effects whatsoever. (I actually managed to lose some weight while taking this medicine.) It took some time for my complex hyperplasia without atypia to clear up, but my latest biopsy was clear from all hyperplasias and now on a regime of 10mgs. of Provera and will go back for a follow up in another 2 months. (I was actually kind of worried to change to Provera as I did so well and had no negative side effects while taking the Megace.)”

bghutch · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2016

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: “I took this drug for 6 months due to weight loss-no appetite-down to 75 pounds. My old insurance covered--then when new insurance was started in jan 2014, no coverage available. This was WONDERFUL!!! For the first time in my life, I was hungry, enjoyed food and was always looking forward to my next meal. I would purchase if I could afford because this was the BEST thing that could happen to me--someone who has NO appetite!! No side effects for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2012

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “This medication has taken me on a roller coaster ride. I am over sensitive, moody, hypersensitive. I can't sleep and I have gained 8lbs in 30 days. It does control the bleeding but it is not worth putting up with the side effects.”

Chuck Wyo February 10, 2011

For Weight Loss: “I had a lung infection (emphysema and an abscess) and I had always had very low weight. I have had appetite problems all my life. During my illness I was down to 104 lbs, after taking megestrol I am now up to 154lbs and am doing fine. I credit megestrol with saving my life. I still take 20mg everyday to keep my appetite going. What a great medicine.”

Lady85 January 8, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I usually never write reviews, but this medicine was great!!! I had been bleeding for two months, heavy bleeding and clotting!!! Thought I was dying! Prior to the day I was prescribed this medicine I woke up in a pool of blood, I ran to the bathroom to clean myself up and blood clots stated coming out. My boyfriend rushed me to emergency. I was weak and exhausted from loosing so much blood over those two months. My blood levels were very low. Of course they kept me. They started on Megestrol and my bleeding slowed down that day!! After going home my bleeding was completely gone by day three. And didn't return. I just seen my OB and was inserted an IUD (Mirena) So far it sucks!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 12, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “For several years, I have been experiencing very heavy and clot filled periods, sometimes lasting as long as 21 days (the heavy part would occur from day 2-4) and I was bleeding past super large tampons and pads every 30 minutes (I would wear both). I was also experiencing chest pains and shortness of breath, which forced me to the hospital a few times. There were no heart issues, however, I was severely anemic and received several blood transfusions, my lowest blood level being 5.4. An ultrasound determined that I have fibroids and was prescribed megastrol acetate and although I have light daily spotting and headaches, this is the best thing that has ever happened to me. When I do have a period, it's just slightly more than spotting.”

Caren · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started this drug exactly 4 weeks ago for stage 1 endometrial cancer. I’ve gained 17 pounds, mostly water. Trouble breathing, wheezing terribly. 4 doctors agreed this was the only option, now they are pushing me off of the other since my side effects started. Vision is blurred and headaches are terrible. I was healthier with the cancer. This drug is horrible. It can cause scar tissue in your lungs on top of so many other things. It’s a very dangerous drug. Be careful. Pulmonologist in 2 days to go for a cat scan with contrast. This drug should be taken very seriously. The ER Dr said it could very well be a blood clot but still wouldn’t do the cat scan. Ugh! It’s frustrating. Good luck.”

Cherry · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 3, 2019

For Weight Loss: “I was on megace for over a year. Worked well for me at first. Gained a lot of weight rapidly. I ended up having the side effects after long term use and my adrenal glands became suppressed. I was sick for a few months after that and lost some of the weight I gained.”

Rebecca · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Prescribed for heavy bleeding with large clots. Bleeding went on for 15 days lowering my hemoglobin. I went to E.R. and was administered 3 units of blood. Megace was only thing to work to stop bleeding. That being said it has lowered my blood pressure significantly, caused stomach pain, insomnia, gas, and constipation. I am not comfortable using megace but it has stopped the bleeding. I do not like the medication and wish I could take something else”

surfergal · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2017

For Endometrial Cancer: “320mg total of megace daily taken in 4 doses. No side effects after first few days. Want to avoid major surgery - hysterectomy. My tip is eat before you take it so you are not hungry. Eat clean food - mostly alkaline plant based. No sugar or caffeine. I feel great! Saying a prayer that each of you (and me!) can avoid major surgery and keep our female organs!”

I highly recommend · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2016

For Anorexia: “I have been skinny all my life. My normal weight was always around 99lbs. But in 2014 I started gaining weight while I was on mirtazipine . I reached 127 lbs on my highest and I was more than happy. Unfortunately I lost the weight again after being always sick. 2 month ago I started getting really sick again and got hospitalized like a month ago with 6 different diagnosises. My weight went under 96lbs. I spoke to a nutritionist and she told me about megace and told me to ask my primary care doctor for it. After I got out of the hospital ,I went to see my doctor and prescribed it for me. Best thing ever. I been on it now for like 2 weeks and my appetite great. I m now at 110 and want 20 lbs more. It works!!!!!”

AidnAizMommy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2017

For Weight Loss: “Always been 80 lbs since high school. No appetite, always ate in small portions. Taken this medication before but the 1st time I took in 2011 I gained weigh but also gained esophagus spasms from all the gorging I did so it's now permanently a side effect, yay. I started taking it again Feb 22, 2017 weighed in at 80.6 lbs, as of today, March 23, 2017, I'm weighing in at 100.4. I haven't taken it in 3 days to see if I can keep the appetite and use when needed. It's a great weight gain but there are side effects. Mine include no period, no sex drive, severe cold night sweats, hot flashes, the esophagus spasms, & swelling of arms & legs when active. These are the pros that some may consider cons- constantly hyper.”

justbe78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2018

For Weight Loss: “I dropped from 114 lbs in February to 97 lbs July. My new doctor realized from my charts that I had went from 110 to 97 in a week because of "stress"; I am 39. Anyhow doc gave me Megastrol 20 mg 4 a day to help me gain weight and I went from 97 lbs to 123 lbs!! Its a miracle! Although the weight goes to my butt and thighs, my belly is huge also!! I am happy about my weight gain I am 5`6. Soon I am going to have to start toning up because this belly is not attractive. But this medicine does work! It took about 2 week for me to see weight gain and after that it didn't stop. I eat everything and stay hungry. Also I've dropped the dose to 2-3 a day.”

Dj2016 October 21, 2016

For Weight Loss: “I had lost about 40 pounds before I started taking megestrol. I am a big eater, my body just never gained the weight. The drs had tried other medications, but none of them worked. On Oct 13, 2016, I went to the Dr and she prescribed me the megestrol. I had lost too much weight. About 3 weeks later, I had a drs appointment & had gained about 10 pounds !!! I was so happy. I finished up the rest of my prescription and went for the checkup I was to have a month after taking it. The Dr was very pleased with the results. She wrote out another prescription with refills and I plan to keep taking it. It is the only thing that has worked for me & is the generic form. Try it”

katem95799 May 8, 2014

For Weight Loss: “I took this for weight gain. In the beginning I took it everyday for a month. I went from 80lbs to 115lbs in one month. I overdid it. So I stopped taking it and would only take it when my appetite would subside and just take it for a week and when I was hungry again I would stop. I would keep the appetite (a normal one) for about a month before needing more. However, I am going to stop taking it. I have NO sex life with hubby. I have almost NO desire. I don't know If its from the medicines. It also gives me chills pretty bad. I think it makes me very fatigued as well but not 100 percent. From all I have read is this medicine stops the production of testosterone which is why.”

bluequeen January 15, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Got to say that this medicine was worth it so much. I was put on megestrol 20 mg for 20 days and I had no side effect to this medicine. I started taking it and by the 5th day the heavy bleeding had stop. This is the second time being put on megestrol 20mg. I know everybody has a different opinion on this medication, and for what's it worth I'm happy with the outcome every single time.”

maryland lisa March 2, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was prescribed 20mg. Megestrol tables by my gynecologist for heavy uterine bleeding. I was to take 2 tablets a day. By the finish of the fisrt day I had slowed down to almost nothing. I took one pill the next day and my bleeding stopped. It did it's job, but not without causing me chest pains and making me feel awful. After the three pills I stopped taking it and my bleeding has not returned nearly a week later. Chest pains stopped after I stopped taking it. My dr told me to resume use if bleeding starts up again, pending testing to see why I'm bleeding.”

Aaliyah · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “After heavy bleeding for 3 weeks, doctor prescribed 40mg megestrol, once a day, for 7 days. Bleeding did not fully stop, but it was light enough to resume daily activities comfortably. I experienced increased appetite, but I have been actually losing weight. Energy levels were fine - probably better since the bleeding decreased. I also experienced some restlessness and trouble sleeping, but that could be attributed to other medical concerns on my mind.”

Lilbit · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 23, 2019

For Weight Loss: “I was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic colon cancer 8/7/2017. Surgery was performed 8/25/2017 to remove the large cancerous mass. The cancer has spread to my liver. After completing chemotherapy 2/2018, I went into remission 3/2018. I was having problems gaining weight due to my lack of appetite after chemotherapy. I wanted help to find a way to increase my appetite. Megestrol was the answer to my prayers. I weighed 108lb in July 2018. I spoke with my oncologist and he agreed and called in a prescription. As of 3/23/2019, I currently weigh 140 pounds. I have eliminated white bread and white rice. I have decreased the amount of Megestrol I take. I am fortunate to not have issues with blood clots or heart problems. If you do please consult with your Doctor about the side effects from taking Megestrol.”

mrsjaxon · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “After the second week on this medication, I ER from having a 7-10 day cycle to bleeding every day with clots. The doctor increase dosage and I got worse. I stop taking it and now I'm almost always hurting. The bleeding hasn't stopped and I'm miserable. The worse thing ever was taking this medication.”

charleneo August 12, 2018

“Okay so my doctor put me on megestrol only after putting me on progesterone for bleeding the progesterone made me bleed like a stuck pig so she moved me to Progesterone or rather megestrol. The bleeding stopped for 2 to 3 weeks so "hello love life I'm a happy girl" just have to wait to see how much it has worked as far as my hyperplasia situation. Hopefully, I won't need a hysterectomy, anyway, for the past couple weeks the bleeding came back like a light. So "goodbye love life" and with it came heavy period pain it was almost like I was ready to give birth that's how bad the cramping is. My doctor said she has "no idea why" I'm cramping because this is not a side effect. I know there's more women out there who have the same experience I have had. Does anybody else feel like a goddamn guinea pig?”

60 year old October 8, 2013

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “I have endometrial hyperplasia without atypia and my insurance refuses a hysterectomy. I have been on megestrol now for over 2 1/2 months. 40mgs twice a day. Hot flashes, insomnia and bleeding, BUT I have been shedding the excess tissue of my hyperplasia. I go back in 2 weeks for yet another biopsy and will see if the hyperplasia is gone. One other effect is very strong urine from this medicine. I had tried regular progesterone and I could not tolerate it. Major bleeding and egg sized clots. So far megesterol is working for me. Time will tell, but I am hopeful of being able to stop taking it.”

PorJami · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “About two weeks ago I had to be hospitalized because I was bleeding severely and my blood level (which I may be saying that wrong) dropped down to 5.4. I had to have a blood transfusion and they gave me several rounds of medication within two days to see what would stop the bleeding. The one that worked was the Megestrol 40 mg. It says to take 4 times daily and my doctor wants me to take the medication until my next appointment which is 04/04/2017. I stopped bleeding the day that they gave it to me and for about two days I took as instructed and now I take one pill every other day from fear that if I stop completely that the bleeding may come again. So far I have not had any issues and I've been taking for about 2 weeks now.”

Daddy's child · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 5, 2015

For Weight Loss: “My Father is elderly, disabled, debilitated & has leukemia. He was given a Rx for the liquid form of this drug by his Hematology/Oncology P.A. Off & on, this Rx was used to stimulate his appetite. We were never told of the significant risks for use by the elderly, especially for those with cancer. We were told by the P.A. that this Rx could be used as needed, intermittently, without worry. A month ago, Dad had a life-threatening event which required an ambulance ride, a week in the hospital, and now long-term use of a blood thinner. Initial evaluation in the ER & subsequent conversations with the Hospitalist, indicated the reason for the blood clots in both lungs, both legs & throughout the body was linked to this Rx.”