User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 314 reviews 169 medications

5.5
Summary of Mirena reviews 1633 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena inserted on 5/1/17, before been suggested by my doctor I was on a lupron injection, which was throwing my body into menopause , being I'm only 38. My doctor highly suggested Mirena . It wasn't a bad experience having it placed. I spotted at insertion, no cramps. However the next day and every day since I've had the worst cramps, I started spotting a week after insertion and haven't stopped, I've also noticed I'm starting to get acne . I see my doctor in three weeks, I'm seriously considering getting it removed. I got it to keep from having the surgery of having the lining of my uterus abolished. Really considering the lupron injection again, no pain or bleeding with it. I don't want the surgery , due to I'm getting married"

Mek38NC May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had mirena inserted in December 2016 due to very heavy periods. I have no children and do not intend to. I'm 45 years old and my periods have not been lighter and my cramps are still awful. For at least 2 full days on my period I can not sleep through the night. I have to change my clothes, tampons pad and sometimes the bed sheets. I was hoping this would work but I am losing all hope. I'm giving it one more month and then going to the doctor again"

Ldisanto May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I see a lot of reviews about the initial placement being painful, but I honestly did not a feel a thing! My doc talked me through it, counted 3 potential cramps. But I didn't feel any until immediately after & it felt no worse than period cramps. They lasted for about an hour. Then had a migraine for the rest of the day. Bled lightly. Day 2 & I have no complaints. Bleeding even ceased. I'm gonna do my best to push through any side effects, better than being pregnant again! Will post updates."

3kidzforNow May 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had it 5 months now, and I am getting it out next week. I've had some CRAZY side effects on this thing, the doctor swears it's local hormone release so Mirena can't be the problem, but its the only thing that's changed in my life. Insertion sucked but it wasn't unbearable, I had severe cramping after insertion. Since I've been on it I've had a decrease/change in libido, continual spotting, almost constant cramping, headaches every day, mood swings, increased levels of depression, a ridiculous flare up in acne, lower back pain, and achy/dry eyes (I wear contact lenses and I've never had this problem until the IUD). Doctor did not discuss any potential side effects with me before inserting."

vicnick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Age 23. I had my 1st Mirena at age 18 due to very heavy and painful periods. The first 3 years my period had stopped (can't remember after what month) with just a few days of spotting here and there. During the last 2 year of my Mirena insertion, my period returned. They were normal when compared to my periods before the insertion. So I had a new Mirena inserted 12/14/16. It's been 5 months and I have had very heavy periods every month with painful cramps. I have to empty my menstrual cup every 3 hours (when nomal periods can go 12hrs without emptying). I'm going to wait another month to see what happens but I might switch to the pill if this continues. Has anyone's period stopped after 6 months or a year?"

When will period end? May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "My experience has been horrible I've had it in for 5 months and haven't stopped​ bleeding I wouldn't recommend anyone to ever get the mirena and the cramps hurt so bad in my stomach and in my back"

Andrea2017 May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "First one worked fine, no periods and no pregnancys! 2nd one fitted!!! OMG I felt like I was losing it! I eventually worked out that my anxiety was linked to it! Had it taken out and ended up having 12 months of counselling. Always been a bit of a worrier but the mirena sent it to a whole new level!! Never again. I now know of 2 other people who experienced similar issues."

Fjb58 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had a horrific experience with the mirena. The insertion was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. It was absolutely horrific. I was covered in sweat and I almost lost consciousness from the pain. The following 2 days, I took 3 ibuprofen every 6 hours and I was still in so much pain that I could hardly bear to eat. I knew I needed a stronger pain med but had no confidence I could drive myself to the doctor's office. 3 months later, I had my first panic attack completely unprovoked. I've had anxiety since then, and horrific, severe acne unlike anything I've ever had. Removal was just as painful. The strings were cut too short so I need to get it surgically removed under general anesthesia next week. I can't wait. I've had it for 5 mo"

Clarac123 May 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I was 45 when I had the mirena coil inserted. I'd never had children so it was painful but bearable. Everyone is different so just make sure you talk any concerns through with your GP. I had a very light period for first three months and occasional cramping but no worse than before I had the mirena inserted, after that I've had 4 and a half years period/cramp free. No side effects whatsoever. My 5 years are up so I'm due to have it removed. Have been told I'll experience the same level of discomfort in the removal so at least I know what to expect and it literally does only take a few minutes."

Alyn19 May 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "After third marina.....heavy bleeding.... normal??"

Bdavies May 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had mirena for about 2 years before I decided enough was enough. I was bleeding for the first 2 weeks straight, but after that I never had any bleeding at all. It wasn't until after 6 months that I had severe acne, anxiety/depression, and had gained 20lbs when I had not changed my exercise routine or eating habits. I'm an Aesthetician and none of my remedies and practices could get rid of my acne. I had zero history of anxiety or depression. It became so bad I started to disconnect completely with my circle of friends. When I removed it, my doctor immediately put me on the pill again and Doctor was very annoyed that I had it removed. I immediately started to feel like myself again as soon as she pulled the strings out! Avoid this IUD."

hlightyear (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my Mirena inserted in November 2016. Since then, I've been bleeding nearly every day, with heavier cycles of bleeding approximately every two weeks. I have no clue what's my actual period and what's not. My doctor said that if bleeding doesn't stop by 6 months it likely never will so I'm not sure where to go from here? Has anyone ever had an IUD in for 6+ months with constant bleeding and then it all of a sudden slowed or stopped? I really don't want to get it removed because it is nice not having to worry about other forms of birth control, I can't take the pill for other medical reasons so this was my next best option. Just extremely frustrated"

FrustratedPerson2017 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Hi there, I wanted to post a comment regarding this IUD due to the horror stories I have heard. First off, I gave birth 3 months ago to my first child and would love to have more someday but at the moment my husband and I are enjoying the 3 of us. I felt this form of birth control was ideal and worth while For our situation, however, I was not looking forward to the placement! Honestly, it was a bit uncomfortable, definitely the first 5 minutes or so after, 800 mg of ibuprofen and there is no more pain or acheyness... it wasn't that bad, no bleeding, cramping subsided 3 hrs later. All is good... so, fear not, it's not that bad- you can do it!"

Maeday May 3, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I was excited to get it, but the insertion was very, VERY painful, even with local anesthesia. I bled for a long time and it was very uncomfortable to sit in certain positions. My periods were very different, with prolonged bleeding (not the short, sweet periods the advertisements promise). I also noticed that I had started to smell badly down there. I kept going to the doctor for it (the other doctor who cared for IUD patients, not MY doctor) and he kept telling me that it was a "bacterial imbalance" and not related to my IUD. It most certainly was because my cervix was always open from the string. This ceased after removal. Also, it does not prevent conception. It causes fertilized eggs to be discharged because they can't implant."

McHeidi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had the mirena in for a little over 5 years. I spotted every now and then the first couple months but my doctor prescribed me estrogen to take for about a week to stop the bleeding. After that I was ok. I've never had problems with depression untIl about two years ago. I was low in energy, didn't want to do much and I gained 25lbs in the last year. My hair also started coming out. At first I thought the depression, hair loss, and weight gain was just me but after reading other comments I see that it wasn't. I just got mine removed today and it's such a relief. I'm going to give my body a rest to normalize itself before I opt for the pill which is what I had my doctor prescribe me."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 43yo and had the Mirena inserted a month/half ago. I have to say I have gained weight excessively (12lbs) but I DO eat a lot and have not been to the gym as I usually do on a regular basis, so in time I will be able to factor in the cause/effect appropriately. Insertion was "uncomfortable" but bearable. I have read many of the reviews and have to say it is definitely dependent on the person. You will always hear the bad, but for anyone contemplating the Mirena I would do my research on the pros /cons and know you that there are chances of it not giving you the results you want (outside of the bc); i.e. weight gain, acne, etc. I have not had any bleeding or spotting and I get a bloated feeling every now but nothing painful."

DGee May 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the mirena placed in March 2014 6 weeks after my second child. Insertion was easy ( I had just had a baby) I spotted for about a month off and on but after that I would have light spotting for a day so light a pad or tampon would have been no use. Bled only about 3 or 4 times a year. Mirena was incredibly effective, loved the light/less periods I would almost say non existent BUT the mirena hated me. Horrible chin acne, constant bloating, couldn't lose weight at all and developed anxiety and depression to the point I hated myself. I had it removed yesterday and they couldn't find the strings, had to get an ultrasound and the IUD was at the fundus of my uterus so they had to shove a hook instrument through my cervix to top of my uterus"

Ncag (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Got the mirena a few months ago and so happy I did. I can't take birth control pills due to my medication, so my doctor said to get this. I had some cramps and spotted for almost 2 weeks and was nervous, but reading other people's sounded normal because your body isn't use to it yet. After that it's been good, no pain and really small periods. I know sometimes the symptoms can really suck but I'd rather those then be pregnant so I recommend to all."

Sara H (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got Mirena inserted 2.5 years ago. The insertion was slightly painful but I'm good with pain. It wasn't till I left my doctors that I felt sharp cramps, which only lasted a day. At first I loved Mirena. I honestly can't take anyone's experience with Mirena less than a year seriously. That's because the first year of me having it I too thought it was amazing. No having to worry about the pill everyday, no bleeding, no pregnancy ! It was amazing, until about 9 months in. I started to get severe hormonal chin acne, mood swings, hair loss and dryness. I got my first BV infections, and the worst yeast infections. My sex drive is non existing anymore so that birth control within it own! Biggest factor was how crazy it's made me."

Lizard lady April 25, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had the mirena for 9 months. I was super nervous About having it inserted but it wasn't bad at all. A little uncomfortable but not awful. I bled for about 3 months as expected before beginning to lighten and eventually didn't bleed at all. It was wonderful and I have loved my mirena ever since. However I started bleeding heavily again about a week ago and I'm a little concerned. Hesitant to go to my doctor about what seems like a period but I think I need to."

KyrannosaurusRex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "My doc highly recommended the IUD. Said it was the next best thing to sliced bread. I had it inserted Aug 2016. After 8 months of constant bleeding/spotting, I went back to see my doc and she has put me on birth control (Lolo) for the next three months to stop the bleeding. After two weeks of adding the pill to the IUD, I started spotting again. I just want to cry! I really don't want to have the IUD taken out as I have lasted this long. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future. I don't know what to do. Help!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I'm almost 23 I've had one child he was born at 27 weeks almost two years ago I got the IUD put in on the last day of my period (3 day periods) so I spotted for the next 4 days after that I spotted every other day one time a day for 6 days and now I've had it in for 16 days and no spotting. So I had 10 days of spotting (on and off) and so far I love it :)"

Tiffandnate April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "The Mirena works great for most people. I am not one of them. My hair came out in clumps in the shower. I had the Mirena for 2 years and gained 15lbs. I've never had an issue with weight and always have had a very fast metabolism. I figured my metabolism was slowing down (Mid-twenties), and that I would need to eat better and exercise. I got my Mirena removed exactly one week ago and have lost 6lbs and have changed absolutely nothing! All the weight I gained with Mirena seemed to go to my stomach. I looked 3-4 months pregnant everyday. My depression got worse. I was so out of energy everyday. I was itching my skin off everyday - pretty sure I had a combo of hives and eczema. Feeling better, skin's clearing and weight's down."

bmoran2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This Friday will be 5 weeks since I've gotten my Mirena. When I got it put in I had been off my period for 5 days. It was crampy getting it placed but was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was a little light headed after wards and had to sit for a minute before driving home. I spotted very lightly for about two days and then on the third day I started what seemed like a heavy period. I've been bleeding heavy since then with a few light spotting days. I'd go almost a whole day without bleeding thinking it was about to stop but then I would start again. The cramps would get so bad that T3s didn't even help much. These last 3 days I've started to notice small tissue clots in the blood and the smell is bad. I see my OB Friday."

Kaylynne88 April 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Hi, I need some advice. I'm 20 years old and I've never been pregnant, I had the mirena coil fitted about 3 weeks ago, the procedure didn't go so well and the doctor had to dilate my cervix as she wasn't able to place the coil. It's been 3 weeks now and me and my partner are starting to have sex again but I'm feeling slight discomfort and a little pain, has anyone else felt this and if so is it normal?"

Mikaela b (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017