User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.2

Summary of Mirena reviews 6.5 1,909 reviews

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I am extremely happy with Mirena. I had it inserted after having my baby as birth control. There was inconsistent spotting in the beginning and cramping that would come and go. But all of the pain stopped after 3 months. My periods are very light now and no pain during periods. Because there is no pain, my mood stays good overall."

Prachi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "I am so glad I have read this forum. I have been suffering for months and thinking I was going round the bend with my mental health. Suffering from awful panic attacks, anxiety, arm and shoulder pain, sickness, headaches, heavy bleeding and more. I had my mirena coil inserted May 2018. After he contraceptive injection and pill failed to work for me. Since then I really haven't been the same person. I can not wait to have it removed."

Day (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had mirena for 3 months. I felt no pain during insertion and had no cramps or bleeding immediately afterward. Then one week later I started cramping and spotting and that has lasted on and off to this day. I get breakouts on my face that I never got before. I have gained 4 pounds and dieting isn't getting it off. Before I could just clean up my eating a bit and the weight would come off and that's not the case now. I have absolutely NO interest in sex anymore whatsoever. But other than that I haven't had any real problems with it. I'm hopeful everything will even out in the next few months and my body will get used to it and these side effects will go away because other than that it has been a great birth control"

Boymom (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had long, heavy, irregular bleeding since I first started menstruating. By the time I had my second child, they had become more regular, about every 31 days and lasting 7-10 days. 3 of those days were extremely heavy, bleeding 12-20 oz per day for those three days! (Was able to measure with my menstrual cup) I was unable to take most hormonal birth control, as it caused my blood pressure to spike. Had the Mirena inserted in May 2018. 7 months later and I'm doing my best not to pull the damn thing out myself!!! I bled pretty much daily for 5 months. The last 2 months, I've bled for 21 days, stop for 5-7 days, and then bled another 21 days!! I hate it, and even if my body figures things out, it hasn't been worth it. While my bleeding isn't as heavy, it's been almost non-stop. I'm giving it a couple of more months to see if the number of bleeding days lessens and if not will have it removed and get an ablation."

Mandy December 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for 2 years. The insertion was very painful (I won’t even lie) I came off the table I was on - it was so bad. I also had a vasovagal syncope attack after (which is normal for me) I cramped badly after for about a week. But after two months my periods were super normal/ light. My acne was nearly GONE! I did gain about 15 pounds, but other than that I felt very protected and secure and happy. That is, til I read it can make it harder to have kids. I read sooooo many people saying that so out of fear I had it removed. I wish I hadn’t , but the weight did come off immediately within a week. Now I’m on the hunt for something that won’t make me depressed or anxious and will help my periods. So far mirena has been the best aside from the extreme pain to get it!"

Sam (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had Mirena for over one year, this year is the most awful year that I've experienced as a married woman. During this year I've had the chance for having sex just for 10 or 12 times at all, because I have heavy bleeding after inserting Mirena and till now after one year and one month!!! The insertion was very painful, I needed my husband to take me home, and I needed to rest for one day after insertion. I had terrible cramp in my abdomen and pain in my bones, legs and hip, irregular mc and longer than usual for 14 or 20 days. Doctors told me that it gonna be alright after a year and be patient, but there is no sign of adaptation on me... Now that I review the users experiments I want to get this thing removed from me and back to usual life."

Elim (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 19, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am writing this review from the perspective of a Biomedical scientist rather than a user/ "victim". I would not recommend this product to anyone, not even to my worst enemy! Unfortunately, I believed in the professional advice from my Gyn as he suggested this as a treatment for the minor fibroids. I screamed halfway through the procedure and the doctor paused it until I feel a bit relaxed. After 3 days, I felt faintish, was vomiting, bleeding, pain and I was taken in an ambulance to A&E. Despite I showed an overreaction to the coil, they insisted me to give the body sometime to adapt. The symptoms got worse. For the last 5 days I felt itchy and pricky. Finally, a few hours ago it was removed. The itchiness disappeared straight after and now I feel better than ever. I would like to thank everyone who posted their experience on the web. It may be different to individuals but my experience is with the majority of the reviews. This is nothing more than a pharmaceutical mafia."

Dr Kannangara (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2018

For Birth Control "Hello everyone, Just wanted to leave a good review because prior to getting Mirena I nearly let all the bad scare me out of getting it! I got Mirena on Nov 27/18. I was on Day 3 of my period. The insertion was quick but pretty uncomfortable "

Liz (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I had two mirenas over ten years. Age 23-33. As far as effective birth control it was perfect. Never had one pregnancy scare. I already had two kids. I stopped having a period after the third month, had normal cramps the first year off and on. My husband said he noticed it at first, but after awhile he got used to it. Those were my positives. The bad side was painful insertion the first time and some mild weight gain. The worst part was the acne!!!! It took me awhile to realize it was the birth control. I got cystic acne badly. It started after the first year. I tried everything and I do mean everything nothing helped. So when it was time to get a third IUD, I switched to Skyla. It has less hormones and my doctor said it might help. She was right it did. My acne cleared up in the first month. I still get an occasional zit but nothing life altering like with the mirena. Overall it's an effective birth control with one side effect I could not live with."

Lastminutelady (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Mirena for five years. I did not get pregnant while on it however I did experience many side effects. For the first year my period was normal and by year two my period became extremely light and lasted for only three days. By year three, my period completed stopped. I experienced a 70 lb weight gain, severe mood swings, insomnia. anxiety and also was diagnosed with severe depression. This lasted until I took the IUD out. Immediately I experienced a 25 lb weight loss and thankfully am no longer suffering from depression, mood swings or depression. I am a south Asian woman in her late twenties."

fyouthanks (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 30, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena done under general anesthetic, after a fibroid removal/d&c, My periods had become so heavy I could not function. When the pre-surgical MRI was done, it was found that I had adenomyosis, so I could not have the ablation done that I wanted.. I lasted a month. Severe lower right quadrant pain. I had a pelvic ultrasound done..ovaries were just fine and dandy, and the Mirena was positioned correctly..however..my gyne told me that sometimes these things just don’t “fit” correctly, even thought they are the right size. I opted to have it removed. Hopefully the pain will resolve soon."

Rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2018

For Birth Control "Insertion of the IUD was the worst pain I’ve ever felt! I am shocked by how many women have said it wasn’t that bad....but maybe it’s because I have never had kids. The doctor says you will feel two pinches the first one will be a little pinch followed by a bigger pinch, then it’s over. The first pinch hurt but wasn’t terrible. Then came the bigger pinch and I pulled up on the table cringing from the pain. It’s like when you get a piercing and they say take a deep breath and as they push you feel the needle punch through the skin except in your ovaries. I almost passed out and an had really bad cramps after. My period never returned, I had frequent yeast infections, my breast were extremely sore and had terrible acne. My doctor prescribed me Spironolactone which didn’t work for me :/ IUD removal was a breeze felt a little more uncomfortable then removing a tampon. I’m going to try the mini pill next."

BriBurd November 28, 2018

For Birth Control "29 yo female, no kids. I have been on progestin only pills for the past several years. I had Mirena inserted a week ago and I am very happy with it so far. I didn’t have a ton of pain with insertion but I took 3 ibuprofen before the procedure, I also had stopped my period about 5 days before. The cervical clamp was less uncomfortable than a Pap, and the only pain I felt was when my uterus was measured and when the Mirena was inserted. Both times felt like a strong period cramp, a little sharper but it was over in 10 seconds. After that it just felt like normal cramps that came and went. I had my husband drive me and I was glad I did because I almost passed out during the drive! Not because of pain, I have a history of vasovagal syncope after invasive procedures. A heating pad and ibuprofen were essential over the next few days but I was ready to go back to work after the weekend. It’s been a week and I feel totally normal, so far so good!"

Mogon (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This product fixed my awful bleeding-but at what cost. I went from 70kg to 85kg within 10 months, I’m vegan and very active. Weight gain, overwhelming sadness /unmotivated for the first time in 32yrs. Very foggy. With my BMI now very high I have to get it out as the weight is increasing with a lot of diet restrictions and heavy exercise but unable to shift it. Never had an issues dropping baby weight either. Tread careful with this!!! Do you research from people who have had it not from what the drug companies want you to believe."

Lauren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I found that the mirena was not a good drug for me to use. I only had it in for about 5 months before I had it taken out. I suffer for chronic migraines but the migraines I got while on it were the worst I ever had in my whole life. I could not function I was in so much pain. With in 4 days of it being removed all my symptoms were gone and have not returned. I do not recommend it."

B (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I had mirena for 1 year. After having the device put in I had mild cramping etc. side effects that came after were terrible, I had extremely bad mood swings, depressed and my hair became brittle and falling out! I have always been a good weight but in a year gained. I was 120lb and by the end 140lb ... I couldn’t get the weight off. I also had terrible pain in my uterus, fever and chills and very tired. I then got it removed and feel way better!"

Sarah (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my mirena inserted in 2008. The first couple months I had bad cramping . The cramping and bleeding subsided after a few months. I had my IUD in for a total of 9yrs before having it removed in 2017( yes the same one) I had no period the majority of time while it was inserted.I have been trying to conceive for a year with no success. My period came back 2 weeks after having my IUD removed. I have a regular cycle every month about 26/27 days long. Fertility may come back for some right away but not all. If you are planning on trying for a baby in the near future please consider how long you had your IUD inserted and your age. I'm in my late 30’s so this can be playing a role in my fertility. I wish I would of had it removed at least 3 yrs ago , my chances of pregnancy would be greater. I have always suffered from acne so I don’t really know how much of a role mirena played in my break outs. Now that I had it removed my face is 90% clearer."

Nancy (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been using the mirena as contraception since 2003. I am about to have my fourth one. It is the best thing I have ever done. I fell pregnant three times on contraceptive pill (tried many different ones). I have not had a period since the first insertion and my hormones are well under control. The only issue I have is weight gain. I did put on about 15 kg but am slowly loosing it with exercise and diet control, however, I was overweight when I started using the mirena. I think it is something definitely worth considering, especially if you have completed your family. I think it is something that you have to try in order to make an informed decision about it."

MJ (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I just had the IUD inserted a few days ago.. and the pain during insertion was WAY more than I had anticipated. It was much more severe than some mild cramping like I had read online. I almost fainted 3 times during my visit and I have a high pain tolerance. But I have never given birth which could be a reason it was so painful for me. But be prepared and definitely ask for a prescribed pain killer that you can take before hand. If I could do it all over again I would have."

Kk (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had mirena for 6 months now and I'm starting to lose my patience with this thing. First 3 months I bled/ spotted continuously with little breaks in between, now although the spotting has stopped Auntie Flow has gone from my normal 5 days of bleeding to 14 days of bleeding. I am so miserable I've talked to my doc and she says to give it some time but I was hoping for things to have gotten a little better by now. My mood swings are very bad as I find myself angry for no reason. I have gained a few pounds and at times I feel depressed. I just don't know what to do anymore, I want this to work so bad but I'm afraid I will just be wasting my time."

Angie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena May 1, 2017. I felt pressure during insertion, but no pain. In the first couple of months, I had a lot of spotting, which was unusual for me. Eventually I stopped getting periods. However, I gained 30lbs in the 10 months I had it. That was my reason for getting it removed. My weight was stable before, and stable after. My biggest complaint now is that I've only had 1 period since it was removed 7 months ago."

Gloria (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I have endometriosis so my doctor suggested switching from Nexplenon to Mirena so that the hormone will be directly released in my uterus and alleviate the awful cramping I get maybe 3-4 times a year. The insertion was really painful for me. They said I would feel instant cramping three times but after the last, it just persisted all day. They had to monitor me for about an hour because I got very dizzy, nauseated, and weak. I was given a pill for the nausea and a shot for the pain. Was told to not take ibuprofen for the next 8 hours after the shot. I was in awful pain all day. It’s been a week now and I still get waves of serious cramping. I have to take 2-3 pills of ibuprofen (200 mg) and use a heating pad. I’m considering getting it removed soon because instead of helping, it just induced more pain for me. That could just be because I have endometriosis and an prone to more painful periods."

Julie (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Mirena at my Drs who recommended it to help my period symptoms that were Extreme cramps that had me on the floor, Very heavy flow and large blood clots, and my period would last 8-10 days. From initially having it placed to my 6-week check-up I gained 15lbs. My dr took note of it but said it was due to my lifestyle, though nothing had changed. I continued to get my period at my normal cycle of 24-26 days but instead of it being awfulness before, it got shorter and lighter. It evened out around 4-5 days that were very light. After being pretty ok with everything, despite the now 30lb weight gain, and severe occasional cramps, I am coming up on my 2- year with the Mirena, but it started going downhill for me a few months ago. For 5 months now, I have been getting severe headaches at the start of each period and they have been gradually increasing in intensity with each period. On top of this, my period is getting longer again and heavier than they were before the mirena."

AstroGirl October 16, 2018

For Birth Control "The Mirena made me go crazy after only a month I got depressed severe anxiety and panic attacks. I was paranoid then ended up in a mental hospital. I had weird thoughts and felt like they would turn into actions. No dr helped except psychiatrist in the hospital told me it was the Mirena also the Zoloft they used to try to treat these symptoms that the doctor said was postpartum depression. It was my first time on any type of birth control, first time seeing a psychiatrist or taking any antidepressants. I asked every dr can it be the Mirena? They all said no or I doubt it even though these are all listed side effects. I had the Mirena taken out stopped taking Zoloft, now on no other meds now and my life is back to normal. Thank goodness I was smart enough to listen to my body. The psychiatrist said they get a lot of women in there for the Mirena. I could have lost my husband and 4 children my job my house all because the drs want to encourage you to keep it!!!"

Anna October 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I had mirena inserted May 4th 2018. Insertion itself wasn't bad but I did have some severe cramping for a few hours afterwards (to the point my uterus was sore for 3 days). If my body continues to adjustment well I plan on to keep using mirena until menopause but I'm going to give it a full year before making that call and I'm 35 years old now. Pre-IUD period was for 4 to 5 days with no spotting in between. With IUD up till 3 months each period decreased by half but spotting for 14 to 16 days. Month 4 thru now is spotting for 14-16 days At this point the only thing is for duration to shorten or vanish to make this any easier. But so far I'm pleased especially since I don't have to remember anything other than to check the stings."

Meze October 6, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...