User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 288 reviews 169 medications

5.7
Summary of Mirena reviews 1546 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I've had Mirena for exactly 6 days and I'm still experiencing minor cramping. The spotting only lasted for a day and a half. I've gotten used to the cramping but if it gets too annoying I just pop a Motrin. The process itself was extremely painful because I'd never experienced cramps before hand. I'd say the part that was painful though was the dilation of my cervix. The second day was much better. I didn't have a sex drive for the first 3 days but on the 4th day I was ready to go. My face is clearer than ever. No regrets. Results may vary guys. Make your GYN your bestie just to stay on top of things. Good luck!"

Whitney M. (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I have had Mirena for about 3 years now and the only good thing about it is that it's pretty much 100% effective and I don't have periods anymore. BUT sex is sometimes extremely painful, my boyfriend can sometimes feel the strings poking him and it's uncomfortable to him. I cramp on and off all the time. I feel that I have become moodier and I have developed a bad attitude because of this IUD, but I could be wrong. I had Mirena put in when I was 16, told my mom it was to help my irregular periods but truthfully I wanted it for birth control. The procedure was one of the most painful things I had ever experienced in my entire life. I bled for four months straight afterward. I am considering having it removed soon."

rosieluke7 February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I just had my first baby in November. I knew I wanted to wait at least 3 years for the next. I was on the patch before and loved it but I didn't like having to remember to switch it. My Dr recommended Mirena. 10 weeks after my son was born I had it put in. I actually didn't feel anything. Didn't hurt and no cramping. I have had it in for about a month now. I have spotting on and off but not a big deal. No cramping. No weight gain. Sex drive unaffected. I love not having to worry about it. For those complaining about insertion if you haven't had a kid try Skyla instead. It's smaller and you should have less insertion pain. For those who just had a kid get it in as soon as you can while your cervix is still "loose" don't wait."

LovingthisIUD (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "My body reacted to implanon I have a face full of pus pimples. Took it out and Dr. Adviced to use mirena as it has lowest dosage of hormonal influences. 6 months later Inserted the mirena, I cramped for 1 day.. and started spotting from 28/7/2016 until yesterday decided to take it off. I have been spotting for more than 6 months.. sex drive decrease to 0. Dry vagina. Due to spotting for 6+months needed iron supplement."

Suffermum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I have had my mirena for 15 mo - I got it at my one month appt after having my daughter. Worst decision I ever made. I have had cramps since, including back cramps every day that feel like I am in early labor all Over again. Zero sex drive. Terrible acne and I am in my mid 30s- every time I try to have sex or other stimulation I start bleeding and cramping. My Dr wouldn't take it out. I hate it more than anything else And wish I never got one."

Mary J Mo February 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "This is only related to the insertion, it was easy and I felt absolutely nothing. It felt like a Pap smear honest to god truth."

Bethany kay February 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "This is the worst thing. Have had nothing but horrible pain since getting it 12 months ago . Have had it removed today after being hospitalised for excruciating pain. They could not find any reason as to why and I have always thought it was this horrible device. A medical Professional also told me hers was removed due to issues and she had met many others who have suffered. Do not do it !"

KAzza233 February 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I love my IUD for many reasons. A lot of these reviews are just based off of the initial side effects and insertion. While I admit it was mildly painful for the first 24 hours and the spotting lasted 1-2 months, I am now 3 years in, and couldn't be happier. My period is 95% lighter and lasts only an hour, I never get cramps anymore, and I am comforted by the fact that it is so reliable! No weight gain or mood changes and my skin is still clear. Some people say these cause infertility but that is not true. IUDs have undergone many many clinical studies which show that is not the case! Don't let people on here scare you :) If you want the facts, go to a credible source. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0010782485900484"

AubreyNicole1989 February 8, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "wow the side effects! I have never experienced acne like this before....I seriously break out all the time and I'm 31 years old I wanted the 5 year plan but I'm breaking out like I remember 7th grade"

acne cystic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I've had he Mirena for about a month now. I still have the spotting nearly everyday but it's not terrible. It's annoying im hoping that stops soon. Insertion was painful but I've had two kids so it really felt like a moderate labor contraction. It wasn't unbearable. I'm glad I did it! But my partner did say he could feel it during sex which I was a little disappointed to hear. Overall though, so far I'm happy with it!! I had two babies with the Nuva ring so I'm hoping this is 100% more effective "

Trisha 20 February 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I just got the Mirena put in today and I have a low threshold for pain with certain things. I would advise everyone to take a good pain pill bc the pressure and cramping is pretty heavy. It's temporary but its painful...I kept tensing up and the Dr had to pause until I was ready lol...I hope all goes well but I will report back with results."

PacquitasMamacita February 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I got it inserted on 10/12/14. The pain of having it inserted was horrible. The reason I went the Mirena route was because I used to take the pill and then the NuvaRing ( I either got sick or gained 45lbs), after I didn't use anything at all. I got very serious with my, now, fiancé and decided that this would be a good option for BC. I got an appt with my OBGYN and discussed it. She spoke highly of it. Initially I had little pain... fast forward 1.5 years and I have almost every side effect out there. weight gain, depression, back pain, abdominal pain, skin issues, tired, bloating, mood swings etc. I just don't feel like myself anymore. I am getting it removed 2/17/17. I am DONE! LADIES... DONT DO IT! Hopefully I am able to have children....."

518NYWoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I got this IUD two days ago and I feel the need to post a review after reading all of the negative ones. Insertion isn't as painful as what I read. It does hurt, I jumped a little, but the whole procedure took less than 2 minutes. What was more annoying was cramping the rest of the day and the next day. After my appointment I had the rest of the day off of work. Your heating pad is your bff. I could have used another day off work but on the second day I went to work with a Thermacare pad on under my shirt. That helped a lot. I have a desk job so I was really aware of all of the cramping. If I had a job where I had to move around a lot I don't think I would have noticed the cramping. I would do it all over again, don't be afraid of the pain!"

Jessj21 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had my mirena in about a week ago and I love it!!! So many negative things about the mirena, but everyone is different! It was uncomfortable getting it inserted but not unbearable! My doctor was amazing! I didn't bleed at all... no cramps... or any other bad side affects!!! Everyone takes time to "warn" people of the bad side affects but many fail to acknowledge the positives! I would truly recommend this to any other female that has had a baby!!! I suffer from migraines so I couldn't take the pill, this was the next alternative and boy am I glad this was it!!!!"

The Girl (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I've only had it a week, so what I can say is that the insertion was pretty painless for me personally. I'm 22, have never had kids, and I was not on my period at the moment of insertion. The process itself took about 5 min, and then I was ready to go. I spotted throughout the day, but had no cramps. In fact, I was out riding my bicycle through town in the next few hours or so."

Anjayuree February 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I only had the iud put in yesterday so my review is only regarding insertion because I seem to have had a very different experience than other women here. I may have a low pain threshold but my word it was absolutely horrendous. I was given heavy ibuprofen about 10 mins before and was in a jolly mood, excited to finally get this and dump the pill, but found the entire process painful. My doctor was incredible and so were the nurses but I reacted like a mad woman, screaming and crying like I never have before really. When I apologized to the dr for my actions she said I wasn't even on the list of the 'screamers' she had seen that day. So just a warning- this is NOT a 'bearable' experience for everyone. Still glad I did it."

California23 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had Mirena for almost 4 years. I've had no luck with oral birth control. Low estrogen and progesterone only pills kill my sex drive. Higher estrogen pills make my breasts too sore. Unfortunately, I have stage 4 endometriosis and heavy, extremely painful periods due to cysts. I decided to try Mirena after surgery to prevent any further cysts. I've stuck it out for 4 years, but Mirena is in the category of hormones that have killed my sex drive. I haven't had sex in 4 years for lack of interest. I've realized that, although I never want to go through the pain of endometriosis and ovarian cysts again, giving up any chance at a relationship and being a sexual person is probably not worth it. But its so much easier to use than bc pills."

6431 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had the Mirena since March of 2015. It was a painful insertion. Since then, I've had migraines on a regular basis, acne, and decreased sex drive. I don't know if I should call them periods, but for weeks at a time since the insertion, there's the old super dark brown blood discharge. My OB-GYN put me on some medication for the bleeding, but it hasn't worked. I plan on getting it removed within the next couple of weeks."

Browneyes37 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I inserted the Mirena 5 month ago. Since I inserted the Mirena I am in a cycle of continuous bleeding. I bleed every single day. I will remove this nightmare on my next visit to the OBG."

holy789 ytt January 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I definitely can't say my experience with Mirena has been anything but crappy. The initial insertion of the IUD wasn't as bad as I imagined, didn't take more then 20 minutes. I was crampy for about a day and was already bleeding as I was on my period so I wouldn't have known the difference from spotting and my period. But its been over 4 months now n I'm still spotting. Mainly that brown end of the period kind of junk, can't really tell whats my actual period anymore. I do lighty bleed for a few days then it'll just go back to that brown spotting. Doctor said 3 months for spotting but the actual Mirena site said up to 6 months so well see here in a month or so. I don't know how much longer I'll keep it after 6 months..a year seems unlikely."

Blondie1205252 January 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "Just got it put in today. I am 19 and never had a baby so it was rough getting past my cervix. Honestly the most painful experience. Really don't recommend. We will see in the next few days as to if this was a good choice for me."

Liv998 January 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "The whole thing is absolutely worthless. What people don't share is how to become pregnant after that. Seems to be a serious problem. I won't even mention this madness with spotting, constant cramps and bleeding for 2 weeks. Also the pain that comes with the procedure. I've had a PID( get educated on it before waving it) right 2 months after insert. I was aware But refused to believe. Fallopian tube inflammatory as a result. Got that thing out 4 years ago. Still no kids. A woman that advised me Mirena ended up with endometriosis that appeared due to IUD after being taken out. They've been trying to have kids for years. She is officially infertile now. Everything worked out perfect though for my best friend until they decided on a baby. I regret it"

Anonim (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I love it. The insertion was not nearly as horrible as I had expected. Of course, it was uncomfortable, but totally bearable and quick. Afterwards, I cramped and bled (lightly) for the rest of the day. I recommend spending the day in bed with a heating pad like I did. For about a week after insertion, I experienced light to moderate cramping but now (a few months later), I experience no cramping and no period. I also haven't had any issue with the IUD strings. My partner hasn't "felt" them at all, which was another concern. Overall, it's great. No more worrying about taking a pill every day and remembering to take my birth control with me on trips, out camping, etc. I haven't had a period at all, and it's long term. I love it"

Olivia_P (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I'm 24 and have never had kids so had the mirena inserted under sedation. Mild cramping and spotting after the procedure but nothing a little naproxen couldn't fix. Previously on the pill but had terrible hormonal symptoms, depression, no sex drive and severe migraines. 2 weeks in to having the mirena and feeling 90% better. No migraines since having it put in ( previously having them almost daily)! Still have a little spotting but I use a menstural cup normally so it doesn't really bother me. Hopefully things will just improve from here! Very happy so far :) would really encourage people not to be put off if you haven't had kids, there are ways of doing it without the pain!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Birth Control "I was going to get this procedure done!!!!! Thanks to reading everyone's comments I am now not. So now I have one still in a box that it came in."

Freaked out by comments January 18, 2017