User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 255 reviews 162 medications

5.8
Summary of Mirena reviews 1444 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have issues with heavy bleeding as result Mirena IUD was inserted 18 months ago. My bleeding issue has completed been gone. I get a very light period every month and am very happy with that. Since my bleeding was so heavy, my other option would be hysterectomy. My frustration is the weight gain, I've gained 15pounds since this was placed. I'm only 5-2 and workout every single day and watch my carbs and take a very low calorie diet. In spite of this, I still continue to gain weight. I have constant bloating and terrible water retention. All my weight is in my stomach and thighs. I have an appointment this week to get it removed, however I'm scared of having the heavy bleeding again."

I'm 46 year old woman September 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I can't take oral hormones due to migraines. I have also never had children. Had the copper IUD inserted when I was 25. Had no problems with it. Switched to Mirena after 5 years. My periods are always between 28 and 32 days. I did not have any troubles with insertion and only took Advil before the appointment. I have had no weight gain, no negative effects at all. I did not have any coverage and have spent over $1000 on IUD's...completely worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Switched from combination pill to mirena after 5 years on the pill. I'm 27 and have never been pregnant. The insertion was. the worst thing I've ever experienced ! Almost fainted. The following 8 hours I had really bad cramps (never really had them before), I'd say a 8/10. Also threw up six times and got diarrhoea. Strange! The following 5 days light spotting, then light period (as planned) for about a week. It's now been almost 8 weeks since insertion, got my second period which was very light compared to being on the pill. Apart from the horrible insertion I'm very content with mirena, absolutely worth it! Also much cheaper as my pill cost around $10 each month and the mirena only $70 for five years, perk of living in Sweden."

Christina046 September 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my mirena placed today and while time will tell what happens my insertion experience was nothing like the majority of reviews I've read. I am 31 years old and have 2 daughters, youngest being 19mo. I had absolutely no problem with insertion. I share bc i saw so many posts about pain and cramps, and while everyone is different, it's not that scary. I will follow up, but i will say this was nothing more than a pap to me. Mom's, i feel great, happy and I'm not gushing like I've heard happens. It's been most of the day and I'm barely spotting. Much luck, be safe, but don't be turned off by everything you read ☺"

Justwanttohelp September 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Today I went in for my IUD Mirena insertion, and I have to say it was a bad experience for me. HOWEVER, here's my situation, I have only had ever light and short periods. I have never experienced cramps or sharp pains during my period. During the procedure I had insane cramping right away and I felt like I was going to be sick from both ends at any minute. I had trouble waking and was in crippling pain for 5hrs, and am still in slight discomfort. But from what my mom and the doctors all said apparently that's just what bad period cramps feel like. Ie if your use to bad periods this may be easier for you, but if not you may have a bad time like I did. I suggest bringing a friend with you in case."

pom419 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I felt like I was pressured into getting Mirena by my doctor. Pills are easy to forget and I would still get nervous about pregnancy while taking them. This experience has been a nightmare. I am on month 4. At first it was bleeding and cramping for a month straight. Then I started getting very mild yeast infections. They would get worse and I would have to either get treatment or try to use home remedies (lots of probiotics). Every time I talk to my doctor she tells me to wait it out. This is my 3rd yeast infection in a month, maybe 5th or 6th since May. I have only had yeast infections in the past while on antibiotics and they would go away without treatment. Too good to be true for me :/"

BummerMirena September 22, 2016

For Birth Control "Jumping in here to mention a symptom I don't see listed. Backstory quickly: I had the Mirena IUD inserted a little over 3 months ago. Insertion and cramping not that bad and everything was great up until my first period came about two weeks after insertion (this is where the strange symptom came into play). On top of bad cramping and heavy bleeding, I had terrible colon and rectal spasms (Sorry for the TMI). It ranged from uncomfortable to extremely unpleasant, like lightening bolts going through my body. The period lasted for almost three weeks but the rectal spams lasted consistently for another month and still happen every few days (on top of almost constant brown discharge). Overall, not happy but also not pregnant. Win some, lose some?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the Mirena for almost 3 years now. Insertion wasn't a problem. However, at my next annual exam my doctor told me he didn't see the string anymore but assured me it's not a problem. I had spotting each month in the beginning. Very light and would last about 3 days. I also experienced heavy discharge in the beginning. Now I have no spotting, no discharge. I did gain weight from it. Lately I have been experiencing severe cramping which I can only describe as almost feeling like contractions when you're about to give birth. They're that bad! Needless to say, I have scheduled an appointment with my OBGYN and I may have it removed. But overall, it's an effective birth control."

KaiLeysMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 21, 2016

For Birth Control "No periods, no major side effects(only a little weight gain). I had it for over a year before my 1st and only child in may 2014, and after giving birth, in total 3yrs and I love it. I'm 25yrs old."

Anonymous September 19, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Wow. This was a Life saver. I've had the mirena for 2 years now. After years of getting worse with heavy embarrassing bleeding that literally held me captive to the bathroom and laundry all over. Anemia. Clots. Pain. My quality of life was awful. After mirena, periods stopped. Altogether. I have had some spotting now for The last 16 days but it's so light I don't even need a Pad. Just shows up when I wipe. A bit of cramping and some breast tenderness But the anemia is gone and I don't even buy pads any longer."

Christy Blaze (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena inserted 9 months ago, it is now September and boy do I REGRET it! I got it to treat menorrhagia and polyps because I was getting my period every other week and I would have to double up on super tampons and pads. So my doctor recommended the Mirena, well I got it inserted and for the first few months I was bleeding very heavily for 17 days straight and finally when I thought my body got adjust it just didn't, it goes from bleeding past 31 days! To at least 9 days, it's honestly terrible. I've had horrible back pain and crampin it's the worst thing I've ever experienced, But the worst part is that I'm bleed so much I have become so very anemic . The polyps are gone so I'm going to try to stick it out a little longer."

As768 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

For Birth Control "First off, remember this is a long term birth control so you have to give your body time to adjust effectively. This device stays in for years! The insertion process was painful for me being I've never had kids so the dr. manually opening my cervix to insert the iud was the worst part. Following the procedure, a friend took me home because of the cramping it caused but after a couple hours I felt okay to drive. There was spotting for a month and slowed down to the point I now spot maybee 2 days a month. I've now had it for 5 months and get cramps from time to time but they arent bad ones. I think my body is still adjusting some. I would overall suggest it to those who are preventing pregnancy more than preventing periods and cramps."

Kelsey53 September 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "At the end of the first month my period was very heavy. My bleeding was still very heavy after day six of my period. I am now very worried and if my period continues l will remove the device when l go for my six weeks check up. This is an unexpected experience and l am not happy with the Mirena device at this stage. As l type this message l am still bleeding. What an awful experience."

An41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

For Birth Control "After my last child and not being comfortable on the pill I had the Mirena inserted under mild sedation. I felt nothing when I woke and only had slight bleeding for the first month. Thereafter nothing. I had it in for 8 years - no problems and no bleeding. I am now menopausal and on Estrogen patches. My Mirena has been replaced with a new one - it's been 3 months now and Ivé only had a day or two of very light spotting. The best thing ever."

Kazkay September 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena placed a month ago and I have to say I really like it. No effort besides the panty liners from the never ending spotting/clot like blood spots. I am a breastfeeding mother this or the estrogen free pill was my only choice and knowing me having a 8 month old I would NEVER get around to taking that pill. The insertion was not fun but since I breastfeed I finally got my period back 6 months postp and they disappeared again so my Dr. Decided to put in the Mirena without me being on my period. very painful with serious contractions then 2hrs later my period came back tooksome T3 this passed all together in one night. I would recommend!! I didn't give it a higher score because I have only had it for a month. Happy!"

Haleyglaze August 31, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 25 and got my Minera a little over a month ago. I have a very high pain tolerance, but I won't lie to insertion hurt a lot, but I also haven't had children. I spotted bad for two weeks, and then that stopped, now I just get random cramps sometimes, but nothing compared to the disabling cramps I got while on the pill. My random back pain has also almost completely gone away. I feel like I have come out of a brain fog and can think better. I am no longer crying at everything and feel much more myself--even my husband has mentioned I seem more myself. I also have much more of a libido now--my husband loves it. We aren't ready for kids yet, so not having to remember to take a pill every days has really helped me not stress over sex."

JumpyPanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena iud put in on June 23. I had spotting afterwards for a few days then my regular period at the time it was supposed to be. But then had my 6week check up. She said the strings were curled up around my cervix. So she got these long tweezers things cause she said she had to check the strings. She unfurled them and said "ohhh yes there they are" then said okay I'm done everything looks good. BUT since August 4th I've been non stop spotting and everyday for about 3hours it's more then spotting but not period amount, and lots of pain full cramping. I don't know what to think anymore. Before the 6week check up I loved it but I don't know what happened when she uncurled the strings."

Jesy85 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

For Birth Control "My friend and I, both 18, got Mirena as birth control. She loves hers. The insertion was painful, but manageable- the side effects are what's really bad. Before, my period was short, light, and I have NEVER cramped. Since getting my IUD, I have consistantly bled heavily. Daily, I have crippling cramps to where I can no longer continue to drive or walk. I often wake up moaning in pain and crying. I got an ultrasound yesterday and everything looked fine. I'm not saying not to get Mirena, but I strongly recommend considering other options or being okay with dealing with the side effects. This has been a terrible experience for me, and a great experience for my friend so you can never really be sure how it will be for you."

sarahdelayne (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 25 years old and have never been pregnant. Due to having migraines with aura, I needed an estrogen-free form of BC. I was on Depo Provera ('the shot') for 1.5 years and HATED it. I gained 20lb without changing my diet, spotted for a year straight with no breaks, and was an overall mess. Mirena was the obvious choice for me. Insertion was not fun (<5 min.) and the 2 hours after insertion I had awful period-like cramps. However, they subsided and by the end of the night, I was okay. The next morning, no pain! My spotting from the Depo even lifted. I have only been on Mirena less than a week, but so far I love it. My anxiety definitely made the insertion process worse, so try to relax."

Formerly on Depo August 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the mirena in Jan 2015 and had remove it by July 2015. As a contraceptive it worked. I used to be on the pill and I put on 20kg with it. I came off it and got the mirena and couldn't lose weight whilst on it. So although I didn't put weight on whilst on mirena, I feel like if I hadn't taken the pill before, the mirena prob would've been the culprit to make me put on weight. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, don't do it. The side effects I experienced: - spotting everyday/random periods completely irregular overall - bad headaches - extremely bloated - couldn't lose weight - moodiness and emotional - periods never went back to normal after mirena- they've been irregular for past year despite being hormone free!"

Alishab August 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I first started birth control around 2004, age 22. I tried the Pill, and all it did was make me spot and have periods that lasted for weeks- so I stopped using it. Then I tried the NuvaRing- that worked for about 3 months then the spotting started again. I then had no birth control until August of 2010. I wasn't sexually active- so didn't worry about it. I had been told when I first tried to get the IUD in 2004 that you can't have one unless you've had at least one child, so I gave up. It was either between Mirena or Paragard-since I have heavy menstrual cycles and cramps and PMS, I chose the Mirena. I had the first one in August of 2010 and my second one in September of 2015. I have had no bad experience with it- my periods are light"

Da5 August 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Ladies!!! Do yourself a favor and stop reading these. Everybody is different and we all have different insertion experiences. I just got mirena inserted this morning. I am 24 years old and I've never had a baby. I was extremely nervous, as this was my second attempt at inserting mirena. I went last week and my cervix was too tight so they sent me home with a prescription that was to be put in my vagina the next week before I go in again. The second time (this morning) was a lot easier. Yes, it does hurt a bit but nothing I couldn't handle. Honestly the worst part for me was the cramps afterwards. I had bad cramps for about 5 minutes and ended up throwing up. After that I felt much better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Just got marina inserted today. Was on bc for years tried pill patch etc. Hubby then got snip which failed but we are delighted with our little bundle of joy. Really did not know what to expect and was very nervous about insertion. I took ponston before hand and it did not hurt. Measurement went fine then when inserted felt something but very mild. Not like some reviews. So far so good but dont have it long enough to comment on side effects. Insertion not as bad as i expected. Will update in a few months time"

emma d August 17, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 49 & have had heavy bleeding, big clots, terrible cramping ALL my life. With the heavy blood loss i had very low heamaglobin & anemia. Twice I had to have a course of iron vaccines in my butt leaving stains for years. Had Mirena put in by gyno when I was 45. She said to give it so least a year to settle & it will be worth it. She was right. First 10 months my periods were all over the place compared to before regular 28day cycle all my life but the flow got less & less. Cramping reduced couple months after insertion of Mirena. Definitely by 1 year my periods had stopped "

AussieNT August 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Got the iud for heavy periods. Has helped so much, very light periods now, some spotting. should've gotten the iud years ago!"

Krisgirl August 17, 2016