User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.2

Summary of Mirena reviews 6.5 1,846 reviews

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I just had my 2nd IUD removed today and a new one placed. I had 3 children before the first was placed and have found placement and removal to be no big deal. Just quick cramping feeling. I had no adverse side effects and love having no periods. Good luck to anyone trying it, hope your experience is like mine"

Lizaef (taken for 10 years or more) June 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had the mirena IUD for nearly 5 years now. Due to be removed in 10 days time and looking forward to the end of this chapter in my life! Here are some issues I have had with the Mirena IUD. I've gained over 20kgs since having the mirena IUD. My self confidence is at rock bottom. Lethargy. Zero energy and cannot get enough sleep. On top of looking frumpy, and feeling tired - I developed horrible cystic acne. As a teenager my skin wasn't even this bad. The acne began around the 2 year mark, and got consistently worse over time. I tried remedial facial products, healthy eating, lots of fluid - unable to clear the acne, get the weight to budge. Only recently have I linked it to having the Mirena IUD. I haven't had a period which has been great, but not worth the side effects that slowly creep up on you. Cannot wait to get this out!"

Cat (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2018

For Birth Control "INSERTION STORY: I got Mirena inserted yesterday at my local Planned Parenthood. The insertion was VERY painful. I would rate it an 8/10, with 10 being "pass out" pain. Luckily, it lasted for about 3 minutes total. I admittedly cried and broke out in a cold sweat uncontrollably on the table, but remembered to breathe which saved me...remember to breathe!! I had to stay laying on the table for about 5 minutes after it was done because I felt dizzy. Honestly, I think my reaction was both a combination of pain and nerves. I read A LOT of horror reviews online before that appointment. Word to the wise: Don't psyche yourself out for an experience that could be drastically different from someone else's. For a few hours post insertion, I experienced a couple dizzy spells, and for the past 36 hours I've been spotting and cramping mildly. Would I do it again? I'll update at the three-month mark to tell you how it's going!"

Anonymous June 15, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have yet to decide whether this form of birth control is worth it. I have been bleeding for 55 days now and it has yet to stop, I hope it stops soon. The bleeding hasn't stopped my sex life - sex sponges (buy them at sex shops) are life savers - but it has made it inconvenient I don't like having to use a sponge secretly every time I get frisky. I'm really just hoping the bleeding will stop soon. On the other hand, the comfort of knowing I'm not going to get pregnant is incredibly satisfying."

asdfghjkl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "My doctor decided to put me on mirena for my endometriosis. I told her that every birth control that I have ever used has interacted poorly with me psychologically. She assured me there would be no side effects "

Shesarevolution (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had a Mirena inserted 10 years ago by a very competent doctor. Because I had never had kids, it was not the easiest to get in. She put in a cervical block (numbs the cervix) and had to spend 30 min getting it in. It did not hurt at all because of the cervical block and I had 5 years of easy peasy. A weird cramp every now and then but periods stopped after a few months and life was great but you all have to understand, I had not been on a birth control pill for years. I think some of the acne/depression/weight gain some experience with it is because the BC pill was keeping a lot of that at bay and suddenly you quit taking the pill and your hormones go crazy."

CindyC (taken for 10 years or more) May 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve always had really thick hair so the first and second year my hair was thinning I really didn’t mind, till about the 3-4year I noticed a front bald spot. Losing all my hairline fuzz. And not to mention the acne. And finally the worst 5cm cyst."

Hair thinning, acne,cyst (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I LOVED IT!!! Best decision I ever made. I’m young, very active, involved in sports & go away a lot. So taking the pill was always bad for me. The insertion only felt a little crampy. Then they gave me a shot to ease the pain. I went in for 2 different check ups & everything was perfect! Most days I forget it’s there. No reason to worry about the pill. I haven’t experienced any weight gain or acne. Which is great!!! My last periods have been GREAT! No cramps, less flow. The only thing I would warn is you WILL spot quite a bit for the following 2 months after insertion. That is TOTALLY normal. And then it goes away. I feel so great & love having painless periods. I would recommend this to anyone! Young or old. Whether you've had kids or not. It’s the best ever!!! Plus it last 5 years! The best thing!"

Jkay (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena inserted on recommendation of my gynae after years of different pills to address hormonal imbalance which turned into months of heavy bleeding and extreme emotional rollercoasters. I stopped bleeding the day they inserted it and have only bled slightly the days it was replaced. I was happy for the first 10 years of having it in but with the last replacement it was different; cramps and spotting periodically from the beginning and we are now at pain. I must mention that the last gynae was a different one to the previous ones so I don't know whether it is the insertion or my body causing the pain. I am having it removed on Monday."

Antie (taken for 10 years or more) May 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I just had my mirena 2 and half hours ago for the first time. I didn't search or had no idea that I will be in such pain while inserting it. Up to now as I am writing this I still feel cramps and bit numbness on my arms. It is a weird and painful feeling. After couple of hours I will have ultra sound as the doctor recommended. We will see how it goes. Hopefully my body will get use to this because I'm freaking out about all the side effects that I have just read."

Jheng May 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I LOVE my Mirena IUD. It honestly has been such a relief to me. Before I had gotten it, my periods were extremely irregular since I started when I was thirteen. I wouldn't get periods for two to three months at a time. So I tried the pill but I had to get taken off of it due to my migraines. I was seventeen when I first got my IUD. Now I have a high tolerance for pain so getting the Mirena placed was a breeze. They used ultrasound and were finished in less than five minutes! About a half hour after I left the office I had extreme cramping. Most painful thing I have ever felt, but it only lasted about two to three hours. After that for about three months I had light spotting. Now I don't have any bleeding after having it close to two years, but I do get the occasional cramps here and there, but nothing significant. It really just depends on the person and what is right for them, but I always suggest the Mirena to all of my friends and family members!"

Hannah Banana May 10, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I visited this site just like you and promised I would come back after enough time on mirena. I got on it 2 yrs ago due to massive bleeding during periods when I would pass blood clots, one after another. First of all the insertion was a breeze. I did have spotting right after and for about 6 months. After about 3 months I wanted to get it out. I contemplated the heavy clots over this constant drip but my dr said it does stop so I kept at it. I sometimes feel twinges or pain there but nothing major. No cramps. No weight gain. No mental issues. It’s been two years now and I love it. I can wear tampons and panty liners. Took about a year to even out my periods to normal but I am so grateful to not have to hide out at home, change sheets, and bring extra clothes on heavy days. My periods are about 7 days but super light. So worth it."

Angie C (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2018

For Birth Control "The insertion was really painful. I was in pain the whole day. The next day I was better but I was cramping and felt lazy and dizzy. The day after that I was back to normal until I had sex. The first time he didn't feel it as much to where it bothered him. The 2nd time he hollered because it pinched him. I'm getting it removed this week and get the pill"

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I am on my third mirena (12 years since first insertion). I just love it! Haven’t had a period since one month after my first insertion. No cramps, no mood swings. Insertion is not a pleasant experience but totally worth it for five years of care free bliss."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 5, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was on Mirena for 4.5 years. It worked great. Prior to it, I had really heavy periods, causing anemia. This was the alternative for a hysterectomy or ablation. I had no side effects, and only had three very light periods over the course of the 4.5 years. After the 4th year, I noticed I became easily agitated and moody. I began to cramp and have PMS, but without the period. My Dr said this was the tapering off the hormones. I had to have the Mirena surgically removed after it shifted and somewhat embedded.( I only ached 1 day after removal, and did not need pain medicine after the surgery) other than the hassle with the removal, I was satisfied with the Mirena. My Dr has now put me on BC pills until I have the hysterectomy."

Lu (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I had been on the Nuvaring for 5yrs before deciding to pursue getting an IUD.I have been using Mirena for 1yr now and I love it. I wanted something that was care free. I had read many reviews b4 getting the mirena, I was so scared of how much it would hurt. The day I went in for the insertion I was in the room for a total of 5 mins. It hurts for the second that it passes through the cervix. The following few hours and days, you get period cramps periodically, just like a regular period.Then through out the next few months I would have cramping randomly (mostly b/c my body needs to get used to the hormones and stuff).The first few months I needed to use day liners for about 1-2 days,no divacups, or tampons needed. I now don't even need to use liners at all. I still get some spotting that may need a liner for 1 day but that is all. I haven't had any weight gain, acne at all. I would recommend the IUD to anyone who forgets about pills or just wants to not have to worry about taking pills on a regular basis."

Kye1 April 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Oh boy, I would rate this zero if I could. I had mirena for 8 months. I started to get heavier bleeding and worse cramps around 5 months in and thought my body was still struggling to adjust. I finally got into my doctor and an ultrasound and now I have two ovarian cysts that are 6cm and 3cm in size. I am now back on my old birth control pill. It’s not worth having to get laparoscopic surgery."

chels (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena IUD inserted in 2013 when I was 20 years old. I had 3 months of light spotting on and off while my body was adjusting to the hormones. This was the first and only method of birth control I have had. I kept it in for the entire 5 years. I gave it a rating of 8/10 because it did its job in preventing pregnancy. However I developed acne, depression/anxiety, gained weight (went from 128 at time of insertion to 158). I was able to lose weight this final year with the IUD and currently weigh 143. However this was not easy at all! I had a strict diet and hiked 3.5 miles 4x per week. I felt like I had to work twice as hard in order to lose some weight. I had continued to get a monthly period for the entire 5 years with Mirena. Doctors just said that I was part of a small percentage of women who continue to have normal periods. Insertion and removal were both very painful as I had never given birth"

MirenaFreeee April 23, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my first child and decided I did not want another one any time soon after so I choose to go with Mirena. I had suffered from some vaginal ph imbalance prior to my pregnancy. During my pregnancy the pH imbalance and 3/4 months after giving birth it was gone! But as soon as I started using the Mirena, BV started taking over my life. The method was effective for birth control but also I was not having much sex due to the constant BV. I would treat it and it would come right back within a few days! I tried several different treatments but then I finally found other reviews from women with the same horrible issues. It’s something about the string that created the bacteria and creates a biofilm. So Mirena is not a good method for women who have sensitive pH systems."

Buggz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2018

For Birth Control "I love Mirena! After having my daughter, I went back on Alesse that I had used for years before and started experiencing a bunch of side effects such as mood swings and weight gain. My doctor suggested Mirena and I absolutely love it. The insertion wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought (a couple of minutes of discomfort, plus a couple of hours of light cramping afterwards), and I have had zero side effects on Mirena. Love not having to remember to take a pill every day!"

Laura (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I really wanted to love the Mirena. I was nonstop spotting for about 2 months, but my period stopped after that. It did a great job preventing pregnancy and I loved how I didn't have to worry about it. What caused me to remove the Mirena was that it made me break out extremely badly and my boyfriend always felt the string (I even got it trimmed twice). I do have hormonal acne, so maybe that's why this made it so bad. Other than those two problems, the Mirena did do a very good job, but I think I'll stick to the pill."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I had 3 children in 4 years. After the last child was born in December 2009 we decided that 3 was enough to handle. So I had the Mirena put in around December 2010. I don't ever remember any head aches or bleeding or irregular periods. I had it for 5 years and it was great. I didn't attributes any major weight gain to the IUD. Since the 5 years was up in 2015 I had it removed. Since I was over 42 the time, we decided to give my body a break from the hormones. I also thought it less likely would get pregnant due to my advanced maternal age. Well I got pregnant within a year and had a miscarriage. I got pregnant again and had another miscarriage. At 45 I didn't think the pregnancies and DNC was good for me. I got another IUD March 2018. So far, I'm experiencing heavier periods, spotting and cramps. I did not have this experience previously. I'm told to wait it out at least 4 months. I'm waiting it out, but I'm hesitant and thing of having it removed. I don't like how I feel now."

Baby momma *3 April 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I suffer from ovarian cysts which is why I started taking birth control. My cysts became so large my doctor was worried about my ovary collapsing. I had at least 3 cysts burst which is VERY painful. During the time I had the IUD, I was increasingly becoming more depressed, I had no interest in my friends or family and I just didn't feel right. My family doctor prescribed an anti-depressant and recommended follow up with a psychiatrist. After speaking with a nurse at the office she helped me realize it was the IUD that had changed my behavior. Like every medicine, every patient will be affected differently. If something doesn’t feel right. If you just feel off. Make sure you talk with your doctor, they might be able to help."

Fe April 12, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "For many years I have had to take the pill to control my super super heavy periods. About 6 months ago I started bleeding every single day of every month even while taking the pill. All tests have come back normal so my dr recommended trying Mirena as last ditch effort to control the bleeding. Had it put in about 3 weeks ago. My bleeding has stopped and I've had zero side effects! So far I am super happy with Mirena"

SarahN (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "It's been 3 months since I got mirena inserted and I've bled nonstop, with symptoms of cramping, contraction like pains, and its affected what once was a very healthy sex life with my husband. I will be getting it removed next week. I don't recommend this to anyone."

Krystal (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2018