User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.1

Summary of Mirena reviews 6.5 1,947 reviews

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the IUD done on Friday. Before this I had been having abnormal bleeding for a month non stop, but dealing with bleeding problems for 6 months and now since I got the Mirena I have stopped bleeding in 2 days."

Tina (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2019

For Birth Control "I had a Mirena inserted in August of 2016, from that time I began steadily gaining weight without a real change in my diet or exercise. I had eventually had it taken out in March and stopped gaining weight. At that time I had a copper IUD put in its place but that was having heavy bleeding so I also wanted it out. The doctor swore up and down the progesterone in the Mirena was not high enough for it to cause weight gain so she suggested I try it again once I had the copper IUD out. I did, that would have been in October of 2017. Since then I’ve gained about 15lbs. None of my clothes fit my anymore. I was in denial that it was the Mirena, I liked the Mirena because it stopped my periods but I’m so over it now."

Ranchdubois33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2019

For Birth Control " Very bad experience for me. Very painful to get in, I should have listened to my mom's warnings about getting it and should have done more research. I got it out after less than a week due to bad anxiety and strange numbness in my arm that would wake me up every night that I'd never had before. Do happy I made this decision."

girl (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I just had a baby and wanted to get on a birth control. I wanted something other than the pill so I decided on an IUD. Unfortunately, the IUD (Mirena) was inserted in my uterine wall! I had heavy bleeding for 6 weeks and the doc said that was normal for some women. The doc didn't do an ultrasound to see if anything was wrong. There were several visits to try to remove it with no luck. Now I have to go in for surgery to remove it! It's going to cost me over $3300 and several weeks to heal from a doctor's mistake!"

Angry (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Mirena for 2.5 years - I am 45 and only got it from a friend's advice to not get pregnant and hassle free due to my hectic job and lifestyle (always travelling for work). I had mine out 1 week ago and I can report feeling better - almost instant - energy level increased, not bloated (or looking/feeling 3 months pregnant) anymore, lust for life back, not depressed. Today, a manager I work said "you look so skinny - what have you done?" Wow - I did nothing at all - no change to diet, exercise or eating patterns - yes the reduction in weight and bloat had dramatically reduced my size literally in a few days. I knew hormone BC is not for me as per my past but I thought I'd give this a go based on all the medical info telling me it's so low dose you cannot put on weight - well in my case - I did and it affected my mood and energy levels. I feel like I am back to my happy, healthier self and will never go back on this. It might be right for some but not for me at all - I guess it's all trial and error !"

Reuben March 25, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "So far mirena works pretty good. I'm 19 got it as a contraceptive- heard so many stories about it hurting like hell- it really didn't hurt that bad for me just an unusual kind of pain, a pinch- I can't really describe it. Afterwards though I was very nauseous and thought I would vomit that lasted about 30 minutes then I pooped and I was fine- ALSO. They didn't tell me that mirena is for women who have already had children until after insertion and I didn't take any advice until 5 minutes prior. I have a very high pain tolerance as well as I'm very tall (5'11) with wide hips. But I love it- I actually am diagnosed with clinical depression so the mood swings haven't gotten any worse with it- haven't gained any weight- I've had it two months now and haven't stopped spotting though- for 2 weeks I had more blood which I assume to have been a period lol but so far I really like it."

Weslie March 25, 2019

For Birth Control "I've been on MIrena for 2 years now and love it. I was super nervous about getting it because of all the horror stories I've read but I'm so glad I decided to try it!! The first 2-3 months were rough while my body was adjusting to the hormones and I almost got it taken out but I'm glad my Dr. suggested I needed to try it for 6 months before I made a decision. I had bad mood swings and thought I was going crazy in those first couple of months. Now I have zero issues! I haven't had a period in over a year which is awesome of course. My husband says he can feel it during sex sometimes but it's not a uncomfortable at all. My advice if you're thinking about trying it is go for it!! If it doesn't work for you just have to taken out. I've been on several pills, depo, the patch, and nuvaring and the mirena is my favorite! Nuvaring would be my second. I HATED all the others! Hope this helps!"

Allison (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2019

For Birth Control "I did a lot of research online and talked to many women for months before I decided to get the IUD. I chose the Mirena because it had the most positive reviews and would last the exact number of years I need. I haven’t had any pregnancies and have tried birth control pills before. Took my body 8 months to adjust fully and has been great ever since. The biggest benefit for me is I no longer have painful ovarian cysts. No other birth control has helped me with that except my IUD. My advice, take pain pills before insertion. Wait out the side effects because they are not as bad as the pill."

Byrdie (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena inserted about 9 months ago, and to start off the insertion was extremely painful (my back caved in as I was getting it inserted and almost passed out; (I can tolerate pain very well) after that I have been bleeding immensely since I’ve got it inserted with the exception of maybe 5 days within a month. I’ve always been extremely happy. With this Mirena, I’ve felt extremely depressed, Tons of bloating, pelvic pain, sharp pains in my back and uterus to where I just want to hunch my back, awful migraines, feet swelling, and get really bad thoughts in my head. Sometimes, my husband will want to have intercourse and I won’t because I know the aftermath is going to leave me in so much pain and It’s honestly one of the worst feelings a wife could have is telling them no (especially when they’re in the military so away a lot of the time so want to "catch up") :( it’s been such a bad experience and I just can’t wait to get this thing removed in a few days because all I want to do is be my old self again."

Faleesh March 20, 2019

For Birth Control "It is the worst birth control I have ever used. I have tried Mirena 2 times. The first time I had it inserted a little after giving birth to my first and only child. I had it removed after experiencing severe depression, lethargy, mood swings, and thinning of my hair. I initially chalked it up as post-partum, however I just had Mirena inserted again for birth control and I of course am not pregnant or nor have I recently given birth and I have the same exact side effects. I am generally energetic and happy but this birth control has made me into a mad woman and I am having it removed tomorrow, thank goodness! I will just continue to use the pill - oh and I gained about 13 pounds after having it for only 3 weeks. I went from 115 to 128."

ac (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

For Birth Control "So it’s my 5th day on it. The lady told me to give it some time like 6 months but I’m all out of time. 1st day slightly bleeding.. second day till now... worst cramps I’ve ever experienced in my whole entire life. My acne on my face is horrible. My hair is falling out and I’m black and mexican my hair hardly falls out! I’ll wake up 2/3 times in the middle of the night with the worse cramps I’ve ever had. Even when I have my period I hardly cramp. I’ll be in class I’ll start cramping I’ll have to look down and start breathing through my nose out my mouth because this pain is horrible. I'm bloating so bad it makes me feel self conscious about myself. I’ll be sad out of no where then I’ll get mad. It’s crazy! This IUD is the worse and it’s only my first time using it on the 5th day!!! I’m getting it removed tomorrow. Maybe people won’t experience what I had. I’ve never been on birth control so this was quite the experience."

J9 March 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Mirena for about a year and a half. For the first 6 months I spotted every day but had no periods/pain. After 6 months I had zero symptoms!!! It felt so perfect. I didn’t get my period until about a year in. At this time, I had my period 3 months in a row, very light and virtually painless. After that though it stopped. I still had bloating/cramps/ mood swings. Then the worst part. I had cramps every day randomly for about 2 months. I just recently had it removed because I couldn’t take it anymore. Altogether though, Mirena worked for me really well for about a year."

Bc (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2019

For Birth Control "The mirena is effective in the aspects of not getting pregnant, but the side effects are NOT good. Significant hair loss , depression, mood swings, loss in sex drive , pain during sex and after . I’m at the 2 year mark I can’t even believe how drastic the side effects are, the depression is the worst and sex drive is at zero, the pain from sex is on a scale 1-10 a hard 10 . Please consider alternative"

Comingunbiased (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I had my first mirena coil fitted just yesterday. I'm not due a period for a week so not the ideal time to fit. The Dr fitting it couldn't do anything at first because my cervix was spasming. I tried my hardest to relax it stopped spasming quickly and she was able to get on with it. I was concentrating on my breathing in anticipation of pain, I was still waiting for something to happen when they told me they were all done. I'd only felt a little cramping, it was totally painless. I have had two babies both straight forward deliveries which would have helped I'm sure. I was a little lightheaded immediately after and was told to take my time getting off the bed. I was soon feeling less wobbly and got dressed, took my paperwork etc and went home. I have had cramps, with occasional strong cramps that feel a lot like early labour pains, but they don't last long. I've had a small amount of spotting, pink and brown but only when wiping. Review for fitting and first few days only."

Mom02 (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I switched from the ring to an IUD due to the length of my periods. I had my IUD in for a year and a half and chose to get it removed due to it making my skin break out with cystic zits, acne, and scarring. The IUD also didn’t help me with the length of my periods, it still was 9-12 days for me. My doctor then prescribed me to a pill (Sprintec) that was a mixture of progesterone and estrogen to assist with the break outs and length and for four months now, my skin and length of cycle have changed drastically and now I can finally say I found a winner."

NotforMirEna (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena inserted today after putting it off for 2 years due to fear of the insertion pain. I have been through hell on 10-15 different BC pills. I took 800mg ibuprofen and 5mg of the anti-anxiety med Ambien (which my Dr. prescribed) 45 minutes before the insertion. My Dr. decided to insert it under sonogram guidance to ensure it was fit perfectly. The actual insertion pain lasted 45 seconds to 60 seconds tops. I would describe the pain as a 3-4 because it is so fast! It’s no worse than a muscle cramp, stubbing your toe, or any sort of pain we women endure often. After the insertion my Dr. did an internal sonogram to confirm it was fit perfectly. I have literally had no pain or cramping at all since insertion and feel as if it never even happened. I believe my success has to do with the medicines/sonogram guidance: so if you are nervous ask if your Dr. is open to these things! Just know everyone’s pain will be different and you never know until you try!"

*Insertion Only* March 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I had the IUD inserted 8 weeks after I had my second baby (10/2015) and had it in for 2 yrs (12/2017). The procedure lasted about 1/2 hr and I went to work on that same day right after that. My periods normally lasted about 4 days and sometimes there was some spotting after my periods. I didn’t lose or gained weight. I did lose so much hair but I don’t know if it was due to postpartum. It was about almost 2 yrs and definitely constantly losing hair made me think the IUD was the cause of it. Crampings were not so bad. I only got it removed because I was losing hair and since I had no partner there was no need to have it. I’m gonna give it another try and see what happens."

givingitanotherchance (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2019

For Birth Control "It stopped my periods all together but aged me by 20 years by EXTREME itchy skin and in 14 months I looked like Quasimodo. Eyes were swelling up and skin was crawling off my upper body and scalp. I don't know if the damage sustained on my eyes is reversible."

Dancing with Birds March 7, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena inserted JAN 2015 (I was 35) for endometriosis. POSITIVES: No unexpected pregnancies, my period stopped completely within 6 months and cramping from my endometriosis virtually ceased to exist *AMAZING!!* NEGATIVES: 1) Complete and utter exhaustion (bed by 9pm and by 6am I literally DRAG myself to the shower cuz I'm still tired) 2) Depression 3) Mood swings 4) Sjogren's Syndrome diagnosis 5) SIGNIFICANT joint pain 6) Constant headaches 7) Constant bloating 7) Auto immune disorder 8) WEIGHT GAIN! I've always been an obsessively health conscious individual. Spinning, lifting daily because I'm vain, let's be honest. At the time I had my IUD inserted, I had visible abs... Now, I have a pot belly, "thick thighs" some back fat and my calves have gotten bigger (WTF?!). My routines have not changed & I've weighed my food since I was 25 eating the same thing for BL&D. The ONLY change that's occurred since IS THE MIRENA!"

Unimpressed March 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I wanted to leave something positive in case others wanted to test Mirena out. Insertion didn't hurt me but the next day I had pretty big cramps. I had my period for a month straight after that. It wasn't painful just weird but they said its a normal side effect. Now I get light periods and some spotting. I don't think I have any mood swings, they were worse on the pill (for me at least) and I tried 3 different types of pills before the IUD. All I can say is I did have a cyst on my ovary which hurt a lot but I heard it’s normal and my 2 of my friends have had it and they don't have the IUD, the doc said sometimes your follicles become enlarged. I do still get cramps on my period though. No weight gain at all for me either. Only reason I didn' give a 10 is because of the long period at the beginning. I like the IUD, especially since I hate the pill."

Ashley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Mirena for 2 years. I had to get it removed today because it perforated by cervix. Very scary experience. The removal was slightly complicated but quick. I liked it because I did not have to take a pill everyday, however, this birth control made me gain 50 lbs in 2 years. I have been active but I would only gain not lose. Even when cutting my calorie count to 700 cals a day. I also, I do not like that my future fertility is in danger due to the perforation of my cervix. I do not think the ease of it was worth it. Additionally, I hardly ever had a period. That was a positive through out use."

stop233 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2019

For Birth Control "Had it almost 3 years. Insertion was the worse pain imaginable, I honestly almost passed out. Afterwards, I was on bed rest for the rest of the day with cramps that lasted a week. The first 3months I had some strange side effects. I would constantly get urinary tract infections and had to take cranberry/preventive pills to avoid them. My gums were always bleeding. Had brain fog, I would often forget what I was doing. And the first time I tried to have sex, approx a month after insertion, I actually started crying because it was so painful. So why didn't I remove it right away, well because getting put in was so awful I couldn't bare the idea of removing it. So I stayed on it, and the UTIs went away, so did the gum bleeding. And about 1year later I finally had sex again and it didn't hurt. A side effect I forgot to mention, was weight gain/bloating. In the 3 years I had gained approx 25lbs. When I removed it within a month I had lost 25lbs."

Socalgirl19 March 4, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had two Mirena IUDs. After two years of my first Mirena, my moods stabilized and I stopped menstruating completely. I had a second one put in place in 2017 and a month later, I had my first panic attack. I went to the ER thinking that I was dying from a heart attack. From there, I suffered monthly panic attacks and anxiety. Headaches, chest pain and pressure, nausea, and many other symptoms I blame on my Mirena IUD. Doctors need to stop believing all the research done by Pharma and start looking at the lawsuits. Mirena is fine for some women. It can also damage a significant percentage of those who try it. There needs to be more unbiased research done on Mirena side effects."

Momof4 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2019

For Birth Control "When I got mirena, I was supposed to get my period within a few days, but it just never came. It’s been a little over a year now and I still don’t have my period. Which is amazing. But, is that normal?"

Stacy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 3, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my IUD placed around 2 years ago and best decision ever! There's a bit of hate on the internet for the IUD but as someone who was depressed and anxious on the pill, the IUD has changed my life. I no longer get my period and have had no weird hormonal side effects from my Mirena. Only reason not 10 stars is because I did spot (very lightly but very consistently for like 8 months). I also am part of a sports team and thus have done a small scale study (lol) and of 20 of us, 3 have gotten the Mirena and have all had really good experiences with it."

l (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2019