User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.2

Summary of Mirena reviews 6.5 1,895 reviews

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This product fixed my awful bleeding-but at what cost. I went from 70kg to 85kg within 10 months, I’m vegan and very active. Weight gain, overwhelming sadness /unmotivated for the first time in 32yrs. Very foggy. With my BMI now very high I have to get it out as the weight is increasing with a lot of diet restrictions and heavy exercise but unable to shift it. Never had an issues dropping baby weight either. Tread careful with this!!! Do you research from people who have had it not from what the drug companies want you to believe."

Lauren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I found that the mirena was not a good drug for me to use. I only had it in for about 5 months before I had it taken out. I suffer for chronic migraines but the migraines I got while on it were the worst I ever had in my whole life. I could not function I was in so much pain. With in 4 days of it being removed all my symptoms were gone and have not returned. I do not recommend it."

B (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my mirena inserted in 2008. The first couple months I had bad cramping . The cramping and bleeding subsided after a few months. I had my IUD in for a total of 9yrs before having it removed in 2017( yes the same one) I had no period the majority of time while it was inserted.I have been trying to conceive for a year with no success. My period came back 2 weeks after having my IUD removed. I have a regular cycle every month about 26/27 days long. Fertility may come back for some right away but not all. If you are planning on trying for a baby in the near future please consider how long you had your IUD inserted and your age. I'm in my late 30’s so this can be playing a role in my fertility. I wish I would of had it removed at least 3 yrs ago , my chances of pregnancy would be greater. I have always suffered from acne so I don’t really know how much of a role mirena played in my break outs. Now that I had it removed my face is 90% clearer."

Nancy (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been using the mirena as contraception since 2003. I am about to have my fourth one. It is the best thing I have ever done. I fell pregnant three times on contraceptive pill (tried many different ones). I have not had a period since the first insertion and my hormones are well under control. The only issue I have is weight gain. I did put on about 15 kg but am slowly loosing it with exercise and diet control, however, I was overweight when I started using the mirena. I think it is something definitely worth considering, especially if you have completed your family. I think it is something that you have to try in order to make an informed decision about it."

MJ (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I just had the IUD inserted a few days ago.. and the pain during insertion was WAY more than I had anticipated. It was much more severe than some mild cramping like I had read online. I almost fainted 3 times during my visit and I have a high pain tolerance. But I have never given birth which could be a reason it was so painful for me. But be prepared and definitely ask for a prescribed pain killer that you can take before hand. If I could do it all over again I would have."

Kk (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had mirena for 6 months now and I'm starting to lose my patience with this thing. First 3 months I bled/ spotted continuously with little breaks in between, now although the spotting has stopped Auntie Flow has gone from my normal 5 days of bleeding to 14 days of bleeding. I am so miserable I've talked to my doc and she says to give it some time but I was hoping for things to have gotten a little better by now. My mood swings are very bad as I find myself angry for no reason. I have gained a few pounds and at times I feel depressed. I just don't know what to do anymore, I want this to work so bad but I'm afraid I will just be wasting my time."

Angie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena May 1, 2017. I felt pressure during insertion, but no pain. In the first couple of months, I had a lot of spotting, which was unusual for me. Eventually I stopped getting periods. However, I gained 30lbs in the 10 months I had it. That was my reason for getting it removed. My weight was stable before, and stable after. My biggest complaint now is that I've only had 1 period since it was removed 7 months ago."

Gloria (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I have endometriosis so my doctor suggested switching from Nexplenon to Mirena so that the hormone will be directly released in my uterus and alleviate the awful cramping I get maybe 3-4 times a year. The insertion was really painful for me. They said I would feel instant cramping three times but after the last, it just persisted all day. They had to monitor me for about an hour because I got very dizzy, nauseated, and weak. I was given a pill for the nausea and a shot for the pain. Was told to not take ibuprofen for the next 8 hours after the shot. I was in awful pain all day. It’s been a week now and I still get waves of serious cramping. I have to take 2-3 pills of ibuprofen (200 mg) and use a heating pad. I’m considering getting it removed soon because instead of helping, it just induced more pain for me. That could just be because I have endometriosis and an prone to more painful periods."

Julie (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Mirena at my Drs who recommended it to help my period symptoms that were Extreme cramps that had me on the floor, Very heavy flow and large blood clots, and my period would last 8-10 days. From initially having it placed to my 6-week check-up I gained 15lbs. My dr took note of it but said it was due to my lifestyle, though nothing had changed. I continued to get my period at my normal cycle of 24-26 days but instead of it being awfulness before, it got shorter and lighter. It evened out around 4-5 days that were very light. After being pretty ok with everything, despite the now 30lb weight gain, and severe occasional cramps, I am coming up on my 2- year with the Mirena, but it started going downhill for me a few months ago. For 5 months now, I have been getting severe headaches at the start of each period and they have been gradually increasing in intensity with each period. On top of this, my period is getting longer again and heavier than they were before the mirena."

AstroGirl October 16, 2018

For Birth Control "The Mirena made me go crazy after only a month I got depressed severe anxiety and panic attacks. I was paranoid then ended up in a mental hospital. I had weird thoughts and felt like they would turn into actions. No dr helped except psychiatrist in the hospital told me it was the Mirena also the Zoloft they used to try to treat these symptoms that the doctor said was postpartum depression. It was my first time on any type of birth control, first time seeing a psychiatrist or taking any antidepressants. I asked every dr can it be the Mirena? They all said no or I doubt it even though these are all listed side effects. I had the Mirena taken out stopped taking Zoloft, now on no other meds now and my life is back to normal. Thank goodness I was smart enough to listen to my body. The psychiatrist said they get a lot of women in there for the Mirena. I could have lost my husband and 4 children my job my house all because the drs want to encourage you to keep it!!!"

Anna October 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I had mirena inserted May 4th 2018. Insertion itself wasn't bad but I did have some severe cramping for a few hours afterwards (to the point my uterus was sore for 3 days). If my body continues to adjustment well I plan on to keep using mirena until menopause but I'm going to give it a full year before making that call and I'm 35 years old now. Pre-IUD period was for 4 to 5 days with no spotting in between. With IUD up till 3 months each period decreased by half but spotting for 14 to 16 days. Month 4 thru now is spotting for 14-16 days At this point the only thing is for duration to shorten or vanish to make this any easier. But so far I'm pleased especially since I don't have to remember anything other than to check the stings."

Meze October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been a size 8 all my life, never putting weight on however after getting the Mirena Coil, I put on 3 stone that I could not lose despite belonging to a gym and eating very healthy. Other side effects included terrible mood swings , debilitating migraines, depression and anxiety, hair loss and some spots . I had never suffered with any of these conditions before the coil. Blood test show my hormones are totally out of whack which certainly explains my symptoms. When I had the coil out, the strings had been cut too short meaning I had to have an instrument pushing through my cervix into my womb, the pain was so bad I cried. I was NEVER told or advised about possible side effects/removal issues. I think health care professionals push these things on to women without giving them all the objective information needed to make informed decisions over their own bodies!!!!"

Annie September 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I had mirena inserted about 9 weeks after having my first child. It was an awful experience. The first attempt my dr spent 30 mins trying to insert it before she had us move to ultrasound dept where we spent another 45 mins trying with no luck. Apparently I have a "curvy cervix ". I went back 4 days later with a full bladder and pain meds and NSAID on board. We went straight to ultrasound this time and she spent 45 minutes to successfully implant it. Pain on day 2 was not so bad since I had pain meds in me. It's been 4 weeks now and I've bleed every day of that....some days heavy other days spotty. I hope it evens out soon however when I was on the depo shot I bled for 7 months straight before my period disappeared. I'm happy I have it because it's one less thing to worry a out but I do want to caution people out there that the insertion process may not be as quick and easier as others have experienced."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2018

For Birth Control "Not impressed to find this IUD is no longer where it should be and has started to work its way out, meaning my contraception I thought was reliable has been useless. One pregnancy test ( negative, thank goodness) and a lot of unnecessary stress I was asked if I would like another...NO WAY. Back to the depo injection for now."

Lolly J (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2018

For Birth Control "So I got the Mirena coil in after I had my daughter and everything was going ok until I found out I was pregnant again. I was taken straight in to hospital to have it removed and it couldn’t be found then I was told it had fallen out and to continue things as normal. Then I started bleeding really badly and sadly had a miscarriage. Had to go in for a scan to confirm this and they found the coil in my uterus. 3 attempts to try and catch the string through my cervix which was the most uncomfortable feeling. I now have to go back for an x-ray tomorrow and it looks like it is going to be surgery to remove it. I would never recommend this to anyone after my experience. I know nothings 100% but this has been a nightmare"

Rmsd (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Ok, so I know it is only early as I have only had it fitted about an hour ok but I just wanted to review the experience of having it fitted. Having read horror stories on here I am surprised I went through with it so I want to give my opinion. Honestly it was not that bad. The most uncomfortable part was when they insert the tool (can't remember what it's called) to widen for insertion, pressure made me want to pee. Had a slight cramping feeling in my side but it was over then. I did take 2 ibuppofen half an hour before appt so I reckon that helped. Otherwise I feel fine and walked home."

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted almost 7 years ago for birth control. I have to have it taken out soon and am kind of dreading it. I’ve gotten so used to not having my period and not having to worry about being pregnant! I had mild cramping for a day after insertion, my biggest complaint was that I had some minor spotting for 4-6 months afterwards. Fortunately it wasn’t ever much to be concerned with- And gradually got less frequent to the point that the last 6 1/2 years I have not had my period except occasionally (like maybe twice a year) I’d spot for a day or two, I’d hardly even call it a period it was so little. Mirena is marketed as being effective for 5 years but the physicians assistant I saw maybe a year after said that research has shown it to be good for up to 7 and in Europe it’s marketed as 7. Overall I have been extremely satisfied."

Stella (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2018

For Birth Control "Insertion wasn't exactly painful. The measuring of my uterus felt extremely weird. It was inserted on the first day of my cycle (August 31st) and I have been bleeding/spotting since. Cramps started about an hour after insertion. Took 800mg ibuprofen for the next two days. Random cramping every now and then, but its not horrible."

KeToSo (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had the mirena for about 4 months. Insertion was fine just some cramps. Period has always been predictable and on time, not too heavy either. Still normal period after insertion. Random cramps stronger than usual but nothing too bad. Had random contraction type back pain that was breath taking but still it wasn't constant and didn't happen often. Now month 4 the right side of my pelvis has been cramping so bad that my kids will ask if I'm okay. I still ignored it. Now I'm having very sharp/pinching pain next to bottom of my hip bone. It comes in waves every few minutes and if I move wrong. My period came on time (more like spotting). It was only when I wiped and then next day was thick black when I wiped and in the toilet and then a mucusy glob tinged with blood and then nothing. 3rd day no blood at all but lots of tissue looking stuff and 4th day same again. I tried to check for the strings but can't feel them and the pain is getting to me. It's the weekend so haven't been seen by doctor."

Mommy23 September 9, 2018

For Birth Control "21y old. 5'11". 160lbs I got Mirena to start a job in a pharmacy. I didn't feel like asking my coworkers for my sprintec monthly. Remembering back, insertion was a very deep pain felt intensely for 4 seconds, light headedness for 15-20 minutes, and BAD cramping for 2 hours. Periods: STOPPED as soon as inserted. Weight : I LOST 25 lbs in the few months after. That could have also been due to my new job. My job included standing and no time for eating. My mood: Haven't had swings like I would with sprintec and when I was getting periods. So how about 11 months in now? I have ACNE again. Like 5-8 pimples at a time. That has started in last 2 months. So that is my 11 month update. Worse complexion is my biggest complaint. Having my one year check up in 2 weeks. Think I'll get a Rx to fight acne. I have had a different experience than most of the women on here so that's why I felt like sharing. Finding the right BC is HARD, but I think you can do it. I did. Good luck sister."

Marigold gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted a little over a year ago only as a birth control option. Before I got it I had never had a single cramp as a result of my period. I had never had any PMS symptoms at all up until I got the mirena. It was incredibly uncomfortable to get it inserted, and I bled for 3 months straight after with little to no breaks. After this ended, the following months were fine...however whenever my period came I would get excruciating cramps that lasted 1-2 days non stop. Not to mention my period occurs every 2 weeks now and lasts 2 weeks long as well, so I only have 2 weeks in between every period and it’s absolutely miserable for me. I have also almost completely lost my sex drive (keep in mind I am 20 years old). I have tried libido supplements for women of many brands but nothing seems to work. I cannot get turned on whatsoever and I really do believe it’s the mirena acting adversely with my body. I’m calling to get it taken out as soon as possible."

Anon September 3, 2018

For Birth Control "inserted May 4th 2018. Insertion itself wasn't bad but had some severe cramping for a few hours after (was sore for 3 days). If it continues to well I plan on to keep using until menopause but I'm going to give it a full year before making that call and I'm 35 yrs old now. I haven't seen any reviews that show a month by month account. I will share and maybe that will help someone in adjusting of 3 to 6 months if they aren't one of the instant no period group. Pre-IUD - 6 to 8 o.n. pads for 4 to 5 days with no spotting in between 1st cycle with 4 to 5 overnight pads for 4 days with 16 days of spotting. 2nd cycle 2 to3 overnight pads for 4 days with 14 days of spotting. 3rd cycle 1 overnight pad a day for 4 days with 14 days of spotting . 4th cycle 1 pad for 1 day with 12 days of spotting 5th cycle on currently- pantyliners only 6 days of spotting so far. At this point the only thing is for duration to make this any easier. But so far I'm pleased especially since I don't have to remember anything"

Meme616 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst decision ever!!!! I bleed pretty much every single day and have for over 6 months. I've been back to the Dr twice and they've checked it out and sent me for an ultrasound and everything looked fine. It's taken a huge mental toll on my life and has taken a toll on my relationship as well. Clearly not having sex if you're bleeding all the time! Beyond frustrating, I'm over it, it's coming out next week."

Elle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena in July of this year 2018. My experience with it has been great. The insertion process to me wasn't painful at all. I experienced mild cramps afterwards but nothing unbearable, I even went back to work to finish my shift and felt fine. I haven't had any complications with the Mirena at all."

Tootise (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

For Birth Control "First, I got this inserted 6 weeks AFTER I had my son so the insertion process was not hard or painful for me. I will not be able to share my experience on that because it was painless. After I got this IUD inserted, I gained almost all of the weight back that I was losing. My weight rose from 200lbs to 235 lbs... AWFUL. I have had depression and anxiety ever since this was inserted. I have felt like a psycho woman and my fiance has noticed it too. This has been the worst birth control ever and I would never recommend to anyone but everyone's body is different so, to each their own. The only good thing that has come out of this birth control is not getting pregnant but honestly I would have rather gotten pregnant again then experience what I have with this BC. I got it removed about a week ago (also painless to get it removed) because of this experience I have had with it and already feeling better. Giving it a 4 because it did actually prevent me from getting pregnant with unprotected sex."

Sydney Australia August 29, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...