User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
4.9

Reviews for Mirena

Umhoneybear June 21, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have had mirena for one month and a week… genuinely I thought I would be happy with Mirena but I am not. Every single day is bright red bleeding. I have simply given up and bought in bulk period products from costco maxi pads and tampons. I’ve never spent this much money on period products. I know exactly what my OB is going to say “give it the whole 3 months” just like what she said about the copper IUD… so I am going to get my hemoglobin checked and wait this stupidity out a month or two more. I guess Mirena is doing her duty 100% because I am not having sex with my husband thus cannot get pregnant which is the whole point! No acne, no cramps, no sex. No cramps is nice I guess but I just get surprise bleeding yay. I’ve bled on 3/4ths of my panties and leaked on my bed like 5x just because that’s how heavy the blood is.”

Vladavere · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2021

For Birth Control: “I had the Mirena IUD as part of HRT. I didn't really do a lot of research before I had it fitted. Glad I didn't because most reviews online are negative. So the insertion was horrible and the 3 weeks after that I bled. 4 weeks in now I'm feeling good and my Menopause symptoms have now reduced greatly, I actually feel normal again !”

Hmcarr09 June 15, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have had the Mirena IUD for 5 years and it was the best decision I ever made! I had very long and heavy periods and the Mirena IUD has helped calm my period symptoms and allow me to skip the period all together! It was easy to have placed and didn’t hurt other than some slight cramping afterward, no worse than a regular period cramp. I highly recommend this IUD for anyone considering it!”

Mirena IUD April 1, 2009

For Birth Control: “I have had my IUD for over a year now and I think it's the best thing ever. When I first got it put in I only bled for about a week with a little cramping. After that nothing at all. I haven't had a period for about 8months until I finally got one, and its not bad at all. It's light, no cramping, no headache, nothing. I haven't gained weight, my acne is gone, and my moods are fine. I know all women are different, but I just hear all these horror stories and I just wanted to tell my story, which is a good one. Hope it calms some of your fears.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I know I have not had Mirena in long. First day was Dec 15th. This is horrible. I always had the worst cramps along with heavy heavy bleeding. Every month it felt like contractions. Since having the IUD put in I have bleed everyday. Yes some lighter than others. Most days had to wear a regular pad. Cramps are just as bad if not worse. I can't wait 3 months or longer to see if this will work. I'm miserable, my husband is miserable. I think I would prefer the 7 days of heavy bleeding than this. At least I knew it was gonna stop. This everyday bleeding has to go. I can't deal with it.”

lisalor1 December 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I wanted to come back here and write a review because before I got the Mirena I was reading all of these, although aware that people are more inclined to write about their horror stories rather than their happy stories. So here is my happy story! I was using the ring for a couple years before I tried Mirena. The ring made me miserable, hormonal, moody, irregular. I was very depressed from the fluctuating hormones. In comes Mirena. The Mirena has been the best choice I have ever made for myself. It is true what all my friends and reviewers say. I do not feel hormonal or moody. In fact I feel much more balanced! My skin does break out at times but I will happily take that over what I was experiencing before. My periods have stopped and I sometimes pms about a week before what WOULD be my period, but it is very mild and manageable. Sooo happy with my Mirena!!! I was scared just like you and it was the best choice I made for myself.”

Busy Mum September 3, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was recently diagnosed with adeymeosis due to heavy, painful, irregular periods and cysts. My consultant gave me the option to have a Mirena coil which he said will help my lining of my womb, stop heavy bleeding into my uterus and having it inserted would feel similar to a smear test. So I booked my appointment based on his recommendation. As the alternative was a hysterectomy. I got it fitted July 2020 which was the most horrendous pain I've ever experience felt like a stabbing contraction and I was in tears pain and I had a little spotting few days later with some severe cramps. The cramps stopped and then a two weeks later I started to get brown jelly like spotting which wasn't very nice and also I don't feel very clean because of it I spotted for two weeks, then came the heavy period which hasn't stopped and it's constant. I don't like the way it's made me feel and I've only had it in for five weeks it's worse than I had before.”

Lotus · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Mirena was inserted a month back, I got it cause apparently it stops bleeding and thus helps with endometriosis Symptoms, but it’s proving other wise as I’m experiencing completely opposite and I have been bleeding continuously from past one month with out a break . I never imagined I would be on period for a whole month and it still haven’t stopped”

Miserable · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had my first Mirena removed in July of 2020 and never had any problems with it. Then I had a new one put in January 29th, 2021. This is March 13th and I've been on my period since getting the new one. Somedays it's normal bleeding, other days it's spotting but the menstrual fluid is dark, almost brown, and thick to the point of almost being sticky. It's ruining my sex life and relationship. My boyfriend thinks I'm pretending to be on my period because I don't want to have sex. I mean, it makes sense. Who has their period for over a month straight? Me. And I'm over it. I feel like I should rate it's effectiveness at a 10 because I definitely won't be having sex with the thing in.”

Sarah January 30, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I'm 47 and got the Mirena because I have very heavy bleeding during my periods. After insertion I bled 44 days. Then none for 11 days, then my on my next period I started bleeding again for (as of writing this) 27 days. Overall I have been bleeding for 71 days out of the 82 (almost 3 months) that I have had the Mirena. While I appreciate the medium/lighter bleeding, the non-stop has been miserable. It has also been very brown and jelly like (like the end or start of a normal period). I tried to wait it out, but it just isn't stopping, so I have an appointment in 2 days to have it removed. On a side note, I had bloating and cramping/pinching feeling for the first 3 weeks. I almost had it taken out after the first month, but my doctor said to give it 3 months. The bloating and pinching did subside. I did feel fine emotionally, no depression, and didn't have any weight gain or skin problems with Mirena. Just removing it because of the non-stop bleeding.”

Nikki · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 26, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “So, this is my second round with the Mirena IUD. June 2020 will be 5 years (this is my second one) Recently I got spotting Sat, Sun, Mon then stopped Tuesday and back Wednesday? I do not remember this happening my last Mirena, and a bit thrown off as to how it’s spotting then stop then back? Anyone else have this happen?”

Romy · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I’m peri menopausal 49 year old and have had very heavy bleeding for the past few years which got progressively worse until last year when I had an ablation and Mirena inserted December 2020. We’re now in May 2021. I bleed 20+ days with a break of maybe 8/9 days. Starts with spotting for a few days followed by a period then more spotting. My sex life with my partner is non existent. I get PMS symptoms, sore breasts, bloating, constipation. I don’t bleed as heavily as I used to but it’s just so prolonged I’m sick of it. I’m calling my GP this week to arrange removal.”

Anonymous May 7, 2010

For Birth Control: “I have had this for about 5 months now.. I had NO IDEA others were going through the same things I am... I am tired, moody and have gained about 25 lbs.. I have been working out more and couldn't figure out what was going on until now. I am dry during sex, not in the mood most of the time. Acne has been pretty bad, didn't know why that was either (don't usually have acne). For a few weeks now my body feels like it is pregnant. The moods, tired, etc.... but all tests say not pregnant. It makes me uncomfortable to have so many things going on.”

CoffeeCatz · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

For Birth Control: “Hi sisters. This is my review only of the insertion, as I just had the Mirena put in 2 hours ago. Before the appointment, I took the recommended Motrin, Ativan (to calm my nerves) and the medication that softens your cervix, which my gyno was kind enough to prescribe for me to hopefully make the insertion process smoother. The entire process took no more than 5 minutes. It felt like a slightly longer pap exam, with more pressure than usual. I didn’t cramp, I didn’t yelp in pain, and I didn’t pass out or feel sick. What got me through my anxiety was taking deep breaths. It was not excruciating as I expected it to be, since I have never given birth (I’m 40, btw). Here’s hoping this device works for me and agrees with my body. I had been on the pill for over 20 years, and I look forward to not having to take them every day. I’ll report back in a few months with an update. Good luck to all of you ladies. Do what is best for you.”

Rose · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 6, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had Mirena inserted Feb 2020 to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding due to fibroids. For first 2 mths I was bleeding non stop. 8 mths later I still have heavy bleeding. Don't think it is working for me, but my Dr said to give it a year.”

Anonymous October 1, 2008

For Birth Control: “I love my Mirena. I've recommended it to several friends. I'm 43 and have 2 kids and wanted something to simplify my life. Insertion was not at all painful or even uncomfortable. I had some spoting continuously for about 3 weeks, but since then I haven't had my period (2 years). I have no side effects at all, and I love NOT getting my period. No cramping, mood swings, PMS, heavy bleeding, not to mention all the dollars saved on NOT buying outrageously expensive tampons and pads. I have never been so happy with a product of this nature. Much better than the pill and that awful sponge, messy diaphragm and horrid condoms!”

Justjessica · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have issues with hormones any time I have been pregnant or been on birth control I get every bad side effect possible. I was hopeful for this one. I had it in for a month and had severe headaches, cystic acne (literally all over my face & no wash would make it go away) constantly felt light headed/dizzy, nauseous, zero sex drive, horrible mood swings, my period lasted 12 days and I was constantly bleeding, horrible stomach pains randomly when I moved certain ways. This medication made my anxiety & depression worse. So bad that I couldn’t be around my 4 year old son because I’d get so anxious if have a panic attack. One day at three weeks of having it in I had such a bad panic attack over literally nothing I had to lay down in a dark room with a fan on me, got so worked up I passed out. Do your research there are a lot of harmful things that can happen when being on the Mirena IUD that they don’t tell you at the doctor. Do your research!!!”

OB Nurse October 22, 2009

For Birth Control: “I am an OB nurse, married with two children ages six and three. I chose the Mirena after suffering severe migraines on the pill. I interviewed several OB doctors at my job and my pregnant patients about their form of birth control prior to their pregnancy and decided to give the Mirena a try.I had the Mirena inserted in early May. Insertion process was very painful.It reminded me much of mild labor contractions. After the insertion, I had mild cramps for the remainder of the day. For three weeks thereafter, I experience light spotting and wore a pantyliner. For the next four months, I would spot beginning the same day each month for a week followed by a regular light period two weeks after the spotting subsided. It is now five months after insertion and I did spot for less time but no period came. Rather, I experience symptoms of bloating and increased appetite as if my period is going to start but without the period. I am most happy to report NO migraines and I lost weight! My mood and libido has remained the same. I cannot feel the string I was instructed to check for monthly, and no complaints from my husband. I did experience some hair loss and noticed my complexion is not as clear, but overall, I am satisfied with the Mirena and recommend woman to try it especially if you want a low maintenance birth control method.”

Shell June 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got the Mirena IUD placed 7 weeks after my second son was born. I heard good things about it from the girls I worked with. They told me they loved it. Placement was pretty painful, even though I just have birth 7 weeks Prior to it. I bled constantly for 2 in a half months After that the bleeding only happened when my monthly flow was coming. When it came it was pretty heavy and would last 7-8 days. My periods were right on schedule monthly . Then I started feeling fatigue, anxiety, massive mood swings, depression, insomnia. I had to push myself to get out of bed and take care of my children. Around month 9 I started getting blurred vision. I had blurred vision when I was on the pill after my first child was born. I knew it was the IUD causing all this. I had it removed 2 days ago. Spotted a little after removal. But now have a full on heavy flow. My mood has changed a lot already. I’m calmer like I used to be. Not 100% back to myself yet, but removing it was the best thing I did.”

Anonymous June 21, 2009

For Birth Control: “I'm 22 years old and have two little boys. My husband says he hopes to one day have a girl so I figured 5 years should be enough time to decide. I got the Mirena last year and the only side effect I had was hair loss but I'm not quite sure if it was the Mirena or from just having another baby. But other than that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I have been reading all these reviews and they were almost all negative I was wondering if something was wrong with me. Since I got the Mirena last year I lost weight, no more cramps, lightened periods, and a better sex drive (probably because I don't have to worry if I'm going to get pregnant), I feel safe. So would I recommend the Mirena, YES.”

S · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 7, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “At 47, after 2+ years of embarrassing and isolating hemorrhaging blood loss I got a Mirena. Life has greatly changed- while still anemic I’ve had no more iron infusions or blood transfusions. I am willing to take overnight trips. I occasionally experience spotting so still wear pads but nothing like the clots of 3 years ago. It has proved an absolute positive for me!!”

JM August 20, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have had the Mirena in for for nearly 2 years. Was ok for first few months odd cramp here and there. 6 months after insertion got my first (of many) bacterial infections. Cramps, pain during sex, brown smelly discharge. Always cleared up with flagyl and cream. I can’t even count how many I have had since then. It’s awful. I have 0 sex drive which makes my partner and me feel awful. Every time I get spotting always puts fear in me that it could be something more sinister which always escalates my anxiety. Have made an appointment to get it removed, as I can't live like this anymore.”

Freebird1877 February 8, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I got the Mirena inserted on Nov 23rd 2020. I have already had a tubal ligation, so I didn't need birth control. This was supposed to help reduce severe menstrual cramps and heavy bleeding. One week after insertion, I developed edema in my legs. I thought this was normal and would go away once my body adjusted to the Mirena. It is now Feb 8th, 2021 and my whole lymph system is swollen. I've gained 11lbs in fluids. I'm exhausted and out of breath all the time. Before, I was in decent shape and worked out 5-6 days a week. I've bled every single day since it was inserted. The stomach cramps are terrible. Just a general feeling of malaise. Diagnosis is lymphadenopathy but the cause isn't determined yet, as they haven't been able to schedule my tests, due to COVID I guess. I had no issues until a week after it was put in. Now I'm falling apart and want it out ASAP. Terrible, I wish I had never gotten it.”

Anonymous April 2, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had Mirena in January 2021 for heavy bleeding . I’m still bleeding. Most of the first 50 days of bleeding was light. Then I had about a week of no bleeding and thought ohh maybe this thing is going to work . Nope I am bleeding again but heavier and clots . Bad headaches from it too I think. I scheduled to have an ablation. Has anyone else tried that? I feel like I’m going to end up having a hysterectomy . I’m definitely not liking mirena .”

S · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2020

For Birth Control: “The Mirena seemed like a great option for me as I had negative experiences with other forms of birth control. Insertion was fine but I had severe cramping for a few days after. My moods were up and down for the first few months and I wanted to have it removed but my doctor recommended to try it for 6 months. It has now been 6 months and my mental health is the worst it has ever been. I'm constantly on the verge of tears and cannot cope with everyday life. I have a history of anxiety but I've never felt this low. I would not recommend the Mirena if you are sensitive to other birth controls (pill, implanon). I still have bad cramps on the Mirena and my periods are heavier. Can't wait to have it removed!”

Endo345 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started Mirena in 2016 for Endometriosis causing ovarian cysts. As far as birth control, I use it as a secondary method, but it's been effective. I've had no periods and maybe 10 episodes of light spotting in almost 5 years, none of which lasted more than one day. I've had a few noticeable cysts in that time (some abdominal tenderness), but nothing like the pain I would have prior to insertion. For treating my endometriosis, it works as it is meant to do. The bad: within 2 months of insertion, I gained over 20 lbs. I've steadily gained weight around my abdomen since. Not all has been related to Mirena, but I have gained about 50 lbs in 4 1/2 years and I know that Mirena is a huge factor. My cystic acne had also gotten worse, but I'm not sure if it's related. I'm due to get Mirena taken out in a few months and am looking into alternative treatments as I don't want to continue to gain weight.”

Dentine · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had the Mirena IUD inserted on Feb 4th. It took 5 mins to insert and they used an ultrasound machine to ensure it was done correctly. I have an extremely high pain tolerance, but must the insertion was probably the worst 5 mins of my entire life. The pain was ridiculous! After that, I had mild cramping for 24 hrs and light brown bleeding for 3 days. On the 4th day out of no where , I felt sick to my stomach and had horrible cramping pains. Lasted for 30 minutes, I was almost in tears, but subsided with 800 mg of Advil and a hot water bottle. My period was suppose to start Feb 14th, but I had brown spotting 3 days prior and am still menstruating!! Its been 11 days straight; its light but enough to need a panty liner or tampon. I'm exhausted, cranky and frustrated. My next dr appt is Mar 7th to check that the IUD is still in the same position. I'm thinking if I bleed all of March, I'm getting this thing taken out. I had no idea I'd bleed for this many days in a row.”

M. · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Mirena gave me my life back. It’s not perfect but I gave it time and it has been good for me. I tried controlling my endometriosis with oral contraceptives with nasty side effects and little success. I was really scared to try the mirena IUD because it’s invasive and I was so tired of side effects but I had few options left. I spotted a lot for 3 months with some cramping but now at the 6 month mark I have very little bleeding and hence very little pain. This is a huge improvement. In terms of side effects, my skin isn’t great but it’s a trade off I’m willing to make. Without this IUD I would have no quality of life.”