User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 337 reviews 109 medications

5.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 1717 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "OMG! I'm scheduled to have an IUD inserted in 2 weeks. I'm having second thoughts after reading all of your experiences w/ it. I'm 48 and have constant bleeding, anywhere from very light & only when I wipe to very heavy w/ clots. My doctor swears this will help w/ the constant bleeding. I almost wish he'd just do a hysterectomy."

Chris2299 September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena placed in April of 2015. I have had long, irregular periods ever since I got it. At first I just dealt with the bleeding because I felt better than being on the pill, but things quickly changed in May of this year. From May 2015 to January of 2017 my periods were: The first was 8 weeks, 2nd was 6 weeks, periods 3 -7 were 3 weeks long. Then in May of 2017 I started having MONTHLY 3+week periods with a few days of breast tenderness then it starts back up. I have had two ovarian cysts with it. I have extreme breast tenderness a few days before the start of every period. I have zero sex drive. This does nothing for my skin and I have issues with hidradenitis. I have very low energy levels. I am just ready to have it removed"

Veryunhappyliz (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had been on the pill since I was 14yrs old for excruciating period cramps along with extremely heavy bleeding (I could go through a super plus tampon in 20min!) Now, at 23, on May 9th I had the Mirena inserted. The procedure was extremely painful to the point that I felt like I was going to pass out, my hands were clammy, and I had a death grip on the sides on the exam table. (I don't have any kids). To date, I have gained 30 pounds and nothing I have done to lose it has worked. I've lost 40+ pounds twice in my life, so I know how to lose it. I'm also tired ALL the time. I can literally nap at any point in the day. And I have painful ovarian cysts (which I knew was a side effect prior). Seriously considering taking it out."

Ashr22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Ugh I wish I had found these reviews before I had it I'm so angry I had it because I was having two week periods heavy each month .. I've now had this six weeks haven't stopped bleeding once I'm cramping badly gained 10 pounds tired all the time irritable skin looks horrible with acne and no end to the bleeding it's horrible my sex drive is gone and I'm usually very sexual After reading this I am not sure I want to keep it in because dr keeps saying give it time but most people here say even after six months it's the same so I've swapped a bad problem for a much worse one! Ugh so frustrated I'm 46 so they won't give me the pill so this seemed the next best choice! I wish the dr could be more honest or informed about so many people having"

Sonnjazzy September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Soon to be 51 and had the mirena inserted 7 years ago for endometrial hyperplasia. My Dr (whom I love) said it would likely make my periods stop (hurray) and would protect my uterus. Well it DID NOT make my periods stop - and it took well over two years for me to start feeling "normal". I have had pH issues and flares of Bacterial Vaginosis ever since. I've tried everything on the market for it only to be told by my Dr to "use Luvena" every time I brought it up during my annual. Anyway, I stuck it out the entire seven years and am due to have it removed in a few weeks. I honestly cannot wait. I've always been very sensitive to progesterone- too much makes me feel like a depressed lead balloon."

Boterosmom (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have suffered from incredibly heavy periods since having my two kids (I'm 38). After having the Mirena inserted (which hurt, but was quick and no worse than a labour pain) I spotted for approx 3 months. During this time, I also experienced some depression, drop in sex drive (which my dr. insisted is not related), breast tenderness and subtle weight gain. Its now been 5 months. I've decided to have it removed. The spotting has stopped, aside from after sex-not so sexy; I am having fairly regular cramping which I can only liken to the feeling of an ovarian cyst. I've never carried weight around my middle; I'm a very active runner with a healthy diet but I swear this thing has given me a very doughy tummy. I just want it gone."

jesterina (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena IUD for 5 months now and so far I've loved it!! I haven't had any weight gain or acne symptoms that everyone talks about in their reviews. I bled for maybe three days after the procedure and haven't had a period since. The procedure sucks but its bearable. It felt like intense cramping for maybe a minute then it's over. I suggest taking 800mg of ibuprofen before and after because I did have cramps and dizziness for the whole day. I switched to mirena from oral BC because oral BC made me absolutely crazy (crying at every little thing, irrational, emotional, blowing up at people for no reason, ect) ladies DON'T LET THE REVIEWS SCARE YOU because every body reacts differently.. you truly have to try it out for yourself!!"

Sami Jo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had hair loss and lack of appetite when I had Mirena. I always felt sick. When I got it out I had delayed return of fertility for 3.5 years."

Heybaby458 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My Mirena caused severe cramping 4 days a week, an inflamed cervix, and caused weight gain. Doc kept saying I was just adjusting. After 1.5 years I got it out and feel so much better. Seriously consider how this can affect your health."

Notforme September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had mirena inserted March 2016 and had a horrible month of cramps and bleeding. Things subsided for a couple of months but now I have heavy bleeding 2-3 weeks a month. Even though it is just coming up on 6 months I emotionally don't know how much longer I can take this and it is wrecking my intimacy with my fiancé. My Periods much worse and much less predictable than before :("

CMSB September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was really excited for Mirena because I suffer from seveer cramps and a very heavy period. This definitely helps that. But my period was irregular, showed up for 2 weeks at a time sometimes, every other week, after sex....there was no rhyme or reason and incredibly annoying. I also had other symptoms that I did not link to Mirena initially until I started doing research and it all made sense. Depression and anger slowly crept in. I chalked it up to being exhausted all the time (another symptom) and not having patience now that I had 2 kids instead of 1. Terrible mood swings. I gained 30 pounds. I always had acne on my chin. My hair thinned terribly. Again, I thought these were from having another baby, but 2 1/2 years later & its the same"

Lyn31 September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Yes, it was quite painful to insert even with two Tyleno-3 tablets and a numbing gel, however totally worth it as birth control. But... I've gained 60 pounds in 8 months! I'm eating very clean - no sugar, no junk food, barely any carbs and I'm a heifer now!!! Going to my gynecologist tomorrow and getting it removed, I can't deal with this anymore!"

SmithandCult August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "DON'T GET THE MIRENA IUD. I wanted to love the Mirena, I really did. I'm 23, no kids & wanted a low maintaince birth control. Insertion & initial cramping were pretty bad but thats normal. I liked my IUD for the first year or so. Didn't gain weight like I did on the pill & no real side effects. But my love for the IUD turned to hatred when I discovered it had given me an OVARIAN CYST. I started having an excruciating pain deep in my abdomen. The pain was right next to my hip bone and was unlike ANY pain I've ever had. It would radiate down my leg & up my back. Some days I couldn't even stand up or go to work. Finally got an ultrasound and discovered it was a cyst so now its out and I feel SO much better. Please don't get the Mirena!!"

lizzlee56 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My mirena was inserted less than a month ago. The side effects were okay initially with the cramping. I did have spasms in my rectal area. I had a follow up to check for the strings and the strings could not be found. An ultrasound was completed and the IUD was found out of place. I had to get an x-ray as well to confirm the position. Now I have to have outpatient surgery to get it removed. I hoped that I wouldn't have to go through this. But I guess that I may have been at a higher risk since I'm nursing. I will not use this again."

Elaine C (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I used to suffer from extremely heavy periods and cramping that interfered with my daily life. I would have to take time off work, rearrange my entire schedule and in general have an awful time with PMS before my period. Since getting my Mirena, I have had NONE of those symptoms. I finally can live my life without worry that my period will interrupt it. I do not get a period and I do not have any PMS symptoms. It's clear to me that Mirena changed my life for the better."

valhallasdoor August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "After having my first child, I decided to try a long-term method of birth control. I was open to the IUD but very scared about the insertion. I went to planned parenthood and loved their customer service. They gave me pain medicine before insertion which I was VERY happy about! I felt only a little pressure when the nurse inserted it and no pain at all afterwards. It has now been almost 5 months since the insertion and I have yet to get a period. Do not know what to expect but am so far very pleased with my decision! Would definitely recommend! STOP reading reviews! I did and I got super scared and almost didn't go through with it. Every body is different but recommend you carry pain meds w you if worried about pain during procedure"

Karina, 18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena in for only a month- I seemed to be adjusting fine with normal spotting 3 weeks after, cramping only the first 42 hours it was in (until my next period came) BUT I happened to go to the eye Dr. Where they diagnosed me with early stages of papilledimia, or swelling of the optic nerves due to excess cerebral spinal fluid built up in my brain. I have been experiencing all of the symptoms of a large brain tumor, while slowing going blind for the last month. I now need to see a brain specialist to make sure I'm not continuing to be effected even though I got the IUD removed- when caught early, the damage can be reversible. My Dr. Was not aware of this as a possible side effect."

Mrs Ray (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am on my second Mirena. I had my first one fitted at my Post partum check up in 2007. I had it for 6 years. That's right, a year over the recommended and approved time frame. The first time insertion was not painful. Periods stopped after a year. When I had it removed, my doctor at the time refused to give me another one (different doctor than the one who inserted the first) and instead talked me into the Depo shot. After a miscarriage and extremely heavy periods and a doctor change I just had another Mirena placed a week ago. Insertion wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. I had no bleeding or spotting. Absolutely none. I cramped a little the first day, but none since. The Mirena isn't for everyone, but it has been a life saver for me!"

Eureka D August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Insertion was incredibly painful even with meds before hand. But it was quick. I have PCOS, I'm 41 and have been off balance hormonally and now I am feeling pretty great after a week with these hormones balancing me out. As for me, cramping, bloating and back pain are still there, although not as strong. Cervix is still a little raw but nothing some Motrin can't alleviate."

TRCS August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Mirena has been the best birth control I've tried and I've tried them all! Yes insertion was painful and I did have a decently long time (about 3 months) where I would spot or bleed but after having it for 4 years now, I can honestly say it's so worth it. I have had no weight or mood changes, period completely stopped after the three month bleeding and ever since I've nearly forgot about it. My skin has always been oily so I can't blame it for that and I haven't experienced cramping, my ex said he could feel it but I think it was just because I had it inserted partway into our relationship and he was paranoid because my current boyfriend says he doesn't notice anything abnormal. I can't wait to get my new one!"

Klineb (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had the mirena for about 1 and 1/2 years now. I bleed more days than not. I have weird pains I have never had until this was inserted. My hip hurts during ovulation and during my cycle. My bleeding is down to a light tampon amount which is a big change. I could go thru a super plus sometimes in 20 minutes. Overall it has helped make it lighter but it lasts a lot longer. Not sure if it is worth it or just find out the reason your periods are so out of control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am 18 and have never gave birth and was previously on the pill. I got mirena almost a month ago. My gynecologist gave me misoprostol to take 3 hours before the procedure and 600 mg of ibuprofen. The insertion was extremely painful for me, but the procedure only took about 10 minutes. After the procedure I had some cramping and a brown discharge for the rest of the day. The next day I woke up and felt great. Ever since I have not had any problems except for some bleeding the first 2 weeks which is normal and easily controlled by using a light pad. The insertion was very painful, but SO worth not worrying and about getting pregnant and taking the pill perfectly. If you can take a day of pain I recommend this full heartily. Mirena is awesome"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was so desperate to put an end to months of heavy and almost non-stop bleeding (I'm 54) that I had a Mirena inserted. It did stop the continuous heavy bleeding but now I have light continuous bleeding and have gained over 10 kg in weight, and am ALWAYS tired. I am having mine removed this afternoon and can't wait. If the heavy bleeding returns I'll deal with it some other way."

Wendy Mc August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Spectulum was hugely painful, one of the worst pains I have ever felt to be honest. Insertion was not comparable to that for me but was quite uncomfortable. So far bleeding was for the first two days only, no cramps, no discomfort. A lot of checking there to figure out whether there was too much or too little wire sticking out so that has been a frightening thing. Breasts hurt like anything but so far definitely worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is my 3rd device & I have had the mirena for over 13years. On my 3rd insert my gynaecologist asked if I have been depressed and I said yes thinking it was because I was working full time single mum and was tired. I finally had counselling and felt good again but after a few weeks I was drained. However during these years, I was deeply depressed and severe anxiety issues, on medication and after speaking to my female doctor we worked out it was the bloody MIRENA, all those years of feeling awful. Use Condoms instead, trust me it's not worth it. I am 41 & love being myself again."

Sparkles014568 August 16, 2017