User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 298 reviews 169 medications

5.6
Summary of Mirena reviews 1586 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I chose to get the Mirena to help with the symptoms of my period and naturally having 5-7 years of birth control was also attractive. I found the pain of insertion was not unlike some of the cramping I usually experience during my period, except it was one big one versus twenty minutes of painful contractions. Following the procedure, I had very mild cramping. I have had some mild spotting, but nothing a panty liner can't handle. I am now on my period and my flow has already seemed to have lightened and my cramping is less severe. I am not currently sexually active, so I can't say much about effectiveness as birth control, but stats say over 99% effective, and condoms can only get it closer to 100%. Very pleased so far."

cbeau17 March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I'm 20 years old and I've been on various forms of birth control since I was 16 due to horrible cramps, among other things. I could never find one that worked quite right with minimal side effects. I was nervous about an IUD at first, but 8 months later and I absolutely love it. I haven't had a period in 5 months, and have had none of the typical negative effects that I got from the pill. I would recommend this to anyone, and the insertion procedure is nowhere near as bad as the reviews say!"

collegegirl649448532798428954 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the mirena fitted on the 13th Feb, having it fitted wasn't to bad, just felt a little uncomfortable. But after, it was fitted I did experience the worse cramps ever, it was so painful - I've never had children so I don't know if it was because of that. I bled consecutively for 4 weeks, heavy bleeding for 1 then really light, spotting for 3. However I didn't have a single cramp. Soon after that, I've had no bleeding, no pains. No periods since so it seems to be doing the job, I think you've just got to persevere with it and let it get use to your body before you start criticising it. However it doesn't work for everyone :)"

LauraLynch_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the mirena after giving birth about 7 weeks post partum. I bleed terribly almost every day. Terrible back pains and no energy. Sex went out the window. My doc said to give it three months to regulate but this sucks. I'm bloated all the time and can't loose any weight. So far I'm thinking its not worth it. Obviously, its doing its job but this is not fun and its ruining my sex life !! Also been getting headaches that won't go away."

softangel12 March 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the Mirena almost 5 years now. I no longer have periods. This saves me a week of pain a month. Also if you have endometriosis it helps stop the growth. I highly recommend."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I'm 23 no children. It didn't really hurt that much going it. A few hours later I had bad cramps which were painful. My periods stopped only little spotting which was brill as I had heavy periods before. This is brilliant. But it's the cramps. They only last 2 mins but they are so intense and its nearly had me crying. But then I haven't had no cramps for 2 weeks but now I've got them again. If it lasted longer I would of had it out by now cause the pain is unreal. I am happy about no periods hopefully it will settle. I'll give it another few months and if I still have these cramps it's coming out."

Anonymous March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I'm on my second placement of mirena, due to be changed out in Nov. 2017. I had it inserted after the birth of my third child so insertion wasn't to bad. I never had severe cramping or heavy bleeding during my period and after insertion I stopped getting periods. The second insertion has been very similar, however the past year and a half I've dealt with weight game, migraines, mild lower abdominal pains and change in mood. I'm thinking it's my body changing with age, will be 30 in September, so it's affecting me differently. I've also had random spotting but usually only when I wipe and only for a max of one day. I've been very happy with this birth control. I will more than likely have a third implant due to not wanting any more babies."

Mrs.T March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had my mirena since Tuesday (4 days). I have never had kids. I was not on my cycle. I have horrible periods so my doctor recommended this. In my mind I was thinking this is going to be horrible as I had other exams that had me in horrendous pain. Insertion took about 2 minutes. Only pain I felt was when he was measuring the uterus. Felt like cramps. I did not even feel it going in. The Dr said ok that's it. I had no idea it was over. Afterwards I went to lunch. Little cramps after I got home, through the night and the next day. Just took tylenol. Only spotted the day that I got it. So far so good."

Shawndb1981 March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "So far so good! Had it put in today under anaesthetic. No pain, no cramping and no bleeding. Fingers crossed my perfect experience continues. Will keep you all posted."

Mands4321 March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had mirena inserted on 24/2/17 for abnormal uterine bleeding which started 24/1/17. Also prescribed 10mg provera 3 times a day. Well been bleeding ever since and sick of it. Bright red blood 2-3 pads a day. Pelvic pain, acne, feel fat, no energy, tired. See GYN on 4/4/17 and have to get blood tests beforehand. Have no iron so been on iron tablets since January. Think I want this out, don't know if I can handle another 5 months of bleeding."

RS6800 March 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I went for a scan as my periods were heavy and not letting up. Whilst getting the scan the Dr said I recommend the Mirena implant to stop the bleeding and get me through the next 5 years. I am 47. So in it went, I didn't really know what it was. OMG insertion was very painful and cramps afterwards for 3 days were horrendous. More than I have ever experienced in my life. I had slight bleeding at the start then OMG heavy periods are back and I need to change every 2 hours. I have hd constant needing for 10 continuous days now and I cannot go on like this. I will be visiting my Dr on Monday. I wish I had read the reviews as I would not have got this fitted!"

Anonymous March 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I wish I never got this. 3 months after insertion I began to get extreme abdominal pain once a month due to new ovarian cysts. Now, 8 months after starting and 1 month after removal, I might need surgery due to an 8cm cyst on my ovaries. Doesn't mean that it'll happen to you but be aware that the risk is there! I thought it would never happen and that it was unlikely but here I am today."

Gabbi7298 March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had to stop the combined pill (Yasmin) after 3 years as I had started getting migraines. I am lucky my mother works at a family planning clinic so if I have any questions I just ask her. I chose the Mirena coil as the copper coil has a high chance of heavy periods and cramp (which I already suffered from). My periods seemed to last slight longer, but after around six months they have get become very very light. During the 6 months I had bad cramps when due on my period which last days, but now have really settled. My acne came back from pre-combined pill, but I manage this with antibiotics I have had no weight gain, but I do have a healthy lifestyle. Everyone is different, but I am glad that I perservered with the mirena."

Abbey1290 March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "So I had mine put in about a week ago and I had it put in right before I got my other birth control taken out.. the one that looks like a match stick in your arm ( can't spell it right now) and omg did it hurt.. My sister had it and told me it wouldn't hurt but she didn't tell me that it was a lot worse to insert if you haven't had kids - which I haven't.. but it was bearable. We got some ibuprofen and I was fine. I even went shopping after. I still feel like I've got cramps and my back hurts a little more then usual but other then that it's been going pretty great. All though my nipples hurt but I'm not sure what's going on with that....."

Anonymous March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena placed a month ago while I was under general anesthesia for an endometrial polyp removal. So, I can't review anything on the pain of insertion because I was peacefully sleeping:) I was told to expect bleeding after my procedure, and that I may have prolonged bleeding/spotting due to the Mirena. I had light period like bleeding for a week followed by two days of spotting. I have not had a single thing since the. I was due for my period last week, and it didn't show up. (Took a test to make sure there's not a bun in the oven.) I was a little worried about how my body would react to the Mirena after reading so many horror stories about it. But for me it has been great!! No period, no weight gain, and no acne."

Stina77 March 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the the Mirena since 2008, second insert now and it works fine for me. Insertion the first time was a bit uncomfortable, but removing it was mildly painful. I spotted for about two days with very little cramping. Some months I spot for a day and some months not at all. I will have it again in 2018. No problems for me."

Katherine M. March 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've just turned 40. I have 3 children all by caesarean (19,16 and 9 yrs). I've had very heavy bleeding for a few years so after having blood tests and a biopsy of my uterus they found nothing wrong with me , so suggested the coil. I've had it in now for 15 months which at first was annoying as I bleed heavy for 92 continuous days! But since that its brilliant no side effects not even one. I haven't bleed again since . No headaches, pain, nothing. So when it's ready to come out I'll have another put in."

Emma - Lou March 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "It's been a month now and I'm still spotting so don't be surprised ladies. That part is the worst, other than that no issues. It does make intimacy issues due to the spotting. No significant acne changes or weight gain. Spotting and cramps seemed to have decreased so I'm waiting for the day it stops altogether. So far really enjoying it and knowing I'm protected."

Callmelynne March 14, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have 5 children I am 27 I got the Mirena inserted after my last child like a year ago. Having it inserted was okay. 1 year of having it. This is my review I lost a lot of hair. I am now very non social, not happy, not amazed or amused by anything. I have been with my husband for 4 years and I wasn't this way until I got this IUD I hate it i feel alone at times and very depressed. I had to get it because they would not tie my tubes. I don't recommend this at ALL. I hate it so much. I was happy and enjoy life and loved seeing new thing and just being apart of something. Now I don't want to do anything and I'm not happy with anything and its been every since I got this IUD. I hope this helps some one."

DESIREE Reyes 1 March 13, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had no difference in bleeding since inserted 8 months ago. Time to get it removed,over it!"

No difference (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Reason for getting Mirena: I am 40 yrs old, have endometriosis & terrible periods (the kind that kept me home 1-2 days a month in bed with cramps and bleeding), & no plans to have kids. On paper, I am the perfect candidate for the IUD. Insertion was THE WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE. Fortunately, it lasted only a few minutes. My legs got pretty tired during the procedure and started shaking some. My Dr encouraged me to relax more, so I literally let my legs fall open in the stirrups (imagine knees falling to the sides, towards the floor). THAT HELPED HUGELY. Once I let my legs fall open and to the sides, my inner thighs released, and my pelvic floor relaxed. If you've never given birth it will probably hurt!!!"

Bloodyhell March 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Chose the Mirena after heavy menstrual bleeding from Paragard. I loved my Paragard and mainly had it removed because it was ten years old. A couple days after insertion of mirena panic attacks began, also dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite. I had sharp, stabbing pains in my pelvic/abdomen, head, and chest. Upon removal symptoms resolved. Insertion was easy with cervical softening meds. Mild cramping and some spotting after. Wish it hadn't made me feel so sick!"

JCK0417 March 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted in 2011.I loved it! I stop having my period almost immediately. No cramps! I just got it replace. Pain is tolerable . I took Ibuprofen an hour before. It helped tremendously. I'm slightly bleeding. But not like a period! Just spots."

Maggie19871 March 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have inserted mirena 5 month ago and have twice a month bleeding,i dont know what should I do? It seems that its not going to adjust with my body :,("

Parisa.s March 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "In a matter of 3 years gained 44 lbs and had numerous softball size ovarian cysts. I ran and ate healthy, no change in diet (trained for marathon) and continued to gain weight. Breast pain and acne."

llauder4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2017