User Reviews for Mirena

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control

1,410 reviews 303 medications
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.2

Summary of Mirena reviews 6.1 1,778 reviews

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "Hi All, I have been reading reviews like crazy when I had to get it done, I was all scared and not comfortable before the insertions. However, I still got it done because I was having really heavy periods before (I inserted the Copper coil before) because of that I started to get anemic and depressed. Hated Copper coil!! Now I got Mirena and happy with the results but the only really bad side effect of Mirena is that my belly is gone bigger (understandable because I don't get periods anymore) also acne issue on my forehead! Bu good contraceptive method."

Sameera Ahmed January 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had my mirena in for nearly a year and I love it. I'm only 23 and have no children. Inserting it was a bit painful but it's over in 2 seconds and my periods stopped straight away. Did get really bad cramps but that was one of the main reasons having the coil was to help with unbearably painful cramps and heavy bleeding. Once you get past 2 months you will start loving it. No more heavy periods and no more pain. Do not always listen to the reviews on here. Especially the bad ones. The reviews put me off having it done and I was petrified lying on the bed but I'm a big baby and cry at any type of pain. And I got through it. Was walking around within minutes of having it inserted."

Lucyhwales123 January 15, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Mother of two, in my late 30s, & suffer from heavy periods & severe anemia. Doctor inserted Mirena IUD to control bleeding. Had it for 9 months and have heavy periods each month lasting 7 days long w/ heavy clotting for the entire 9 months. I've also had BV's and a UTI. I feel like I'm always on antibiotics. I also experienced slight weight gain. Doctor said it's time for it to come out but when she tried to pull it, she couldn't find the strings! Had an ultrasound which said it's still in place but strings are probably curled up & twisted so high up. Now they say they will have to remove it surgically. I can't believe I agreed to put my body through this! I DON'T recommend Mirena IUD, its not worth the risks and side effects."

C Celina January 12, 2018

For Birth Control "So I just got the mirena placed about 3 days ago so I’m not exactly sure how my body is going to react to it BUT you all have to stop reading reviews you see online and just do it. I got so worked up about getting it done and it was no where near as bad as the reviews I read. I’m 22 years old and I’ve never given birth, the insertion literally felt like period cramps. Afterwards the cramping did get a lot worse but subsided after a few hours. I will update my review after a few months but please stop reading bad reviews and just go for it!"

Shadykindoflady January 10, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena coil 1 and half years ago. Twice a month period and irregular spots in between. So I am free of pads only about a week in a month. Also have back pain and acne problems. But I used to have a painful cramps when I had period before the coil is put. For me , Mirena coil is 50-50 ."

Chitthamee January 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 27. I have had mirena for four years now and I’m going to get it removed. I have been having hot flashes every day for years now. I never put two and two together, until I recently saw my endocrine specialist who told me to get it removed. I have terrible back pain, right ovary pain, acne, can’t loose weight, extreme excessive sweating, pain with sex, and headaches. I just learned to deal with it until recently I started sweating more and got longer hot flashes. I can’t wait to feel better. I really think it can work for some people but just be careful. I’m upset I went this long without even thinking this could be the mirena."

Rodeo4390 December 29, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was going well but have now been bleeding two and a half weeks. I feel like I have permanent PMS! I also have Fibromyalgia so extended bleeding/spotting just causes constant pain. I am nearly fifty and would just like a hysterectomy to be honest!!"

Michw December 28, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have fibroids I bleed very heavy with my period for three days. My doc suggested the mirena. He's been trying to get me to get it for several years. Finally Dec 4,2017 I decided to get it has been going on three weeks of bleeding. I got this to avoid a period. Now I rather suffer through three days than to bleed everyday."

Want it out (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2017

For Birth Control "First of all, before you get mirena, know your body. My body always reacted strongly to toxins and different changes. Like bloating, constipation or acne after eating to much sugar/salt/lipids... you will know of that is your case. So the first month with Mirena was really painful. Uterine cramps at every end of the day and some spotting. From the first month I completely lost my period. I also completely lost my libido, which has never been so strong as I had always took hormones as birth control (previously on pills) For the past 2 years I had mild acne like 3-4 pimples every month. But with Mirena, my face was covered with it. Mostly around my mouth and on my forehead (but then it spread to my cheeks) I lost all my self confidence. I removed mirena after 6 months and my doctor gave me minocycline 500mg 2x a day + topical/acid cream. I am now on IUD Mona Lisa (copper IUD) and I didn't have a single cramp after its insertion + my libido has never been this strong ​​it's 100% natural, no hormones, and cost pennies comparatevly to Mirena! "

Florencelec3 December 22, 2017

For Birth Control "27 years old and never had children. I was deciding between the kyleena and mirena and decided to go with the mirena based on my providers recommendation. I’ve tried all different types of birth control pills and all have given me bad side effects (weight gain, depression, low libido, acne, etc.). I was so nervous about my upcoming IUD insertion and after reading so many HORROR stories, including here on this site. However, so far, I have had the BEST experience! The pinching of the cervix during the insertion hurt a little but afterwards, I felt fine. Barely had cramps the rest of the day. And I have low pain tolerance too! So happy I got the IUD! Will update in a few months about my progression with it."

Nobabiesforjenny December 22, 2017

For Birth Control "Love the MIrena! Yes inserting it was like 3 seconds of hell if you’ve never had a child before and it caused a month-long monster period and 3 moths of excessive cramping, but almost 3 years down the road now, it’s easily one of the best decisions I ever made. I no longer fear pregnancy scares like my other young twenties friends and has saved me a small fortune on period products. I have super light periods only lasting a few days every 3-5 months which are very tolerable. I was unable to continue BC pills because even on the lowest dose I was experiencing eye-blinding migraines. (While driving, yikes!) so my doctor recommended and IUD and my parents insurance covered it too so it didn’t cost me a dime! Overall, very happy with my mirena"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Gave me depression and had to have it removed because it was affecting my life so badly. Time off work, mood swings, pain, spotting... Worst decision of my life."

GeorgieAnna December 17, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 45 and had been experiencing heavy bleeding (no other issues) for a few years, resulting in anemia. After undergoing treatment for that, the high dose of iron that I need to keep my anemia under control was causing severe acid reflux. So, my GP recommended an ablation. When I went to my gyne, she suggested Mirena first as a less invasive option, that should result in no period. Well, I had it inserted Oct 25, 2017, and have been bleeding since a week after insertion. Pretty much a 2 month long period. I have symptoms like I'm pregnant, acne, bloating, headaches, fatigue and strong cramps like I'm a teenager again. I go into the gyne next week to check on the placement, but I am going to request it removed."

kel123456789 December 15, 2017

For Birth Control "I got an IUD in because I didn't want to have to worry about my birth control anymore. The first few months (3-6) weren't great and I had light bleeding on and off. My acne did get a little worse and has stayed like that until getting it treated. So I did have side effects but I would still 100% do it all over again and will once my 5 years are up. Now, I will either not have a period or it will be very light for just a few days. Getting it in was uncomfortable but after that you don't notice it at all. When I was on the pill, I was still so worried about getting pregnant that we still used condoms. I can finally have sex without constantly worrying since it is one of the most effective forms of birth control."

Rich7111 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 14, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been using this birth control for over 10 years and I love it! I've had zero issues and zero blood since I've been using the Mirena. I will admit it's not fun getting it inserted if you haven't had a baby come through your cervix but it is definitely worth it!"

Mm18 December 14, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 12 years old and endometriosis at 24 years old, the mirena was inserted in Jan 2017 to alleviate debilitating symptoms. I was in excruciating pain for 10 months, nausea, vomiting, mood changes and continuous bleeding from month 4 onward. Around month 1, I noticed the weight gain starting so I adapted a healthier diet and exercise regime. I follow a strict 1000-1200 calories/day diet (veg, fruit, chicken/fish, no bread/pastas/potatoes/junk food) and gym 5/wk, 2 h/day with 1h cardio/day. In spite of my efforts, I have gained 13 kgs. My aunt also has it and experienced the same side effects at 50 y/o. I strongly advise against the mirena and will be removing it in Jan 2018."

LTPS (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 37 and I will say it works as birth control because you are always bleeding; Therefore, I don't want to have sex. I have had this thing in for over a month. It has been non stop bleeding and constant discomfort. When my uterus contracts I get a light stabbing pain. It is madening. My doctor keeps telling me it will get better give it time..."

Diyami December 10, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've only been on the IUD for little over 3 weeks now. I've started my period on the 30th of November, it is now the 9th of December. I normally have heavy flows which is why I chose to go on the IUD because I have friends who say it stopped their periods or they'd just spot, it's just making my period last longer then usual. 10 days is a long time and it doesn't seem to be stopping. If it continues within this week, I will get it removed."

Nivee1 December 9, 2017

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena 3 days ago and am very pleased with it. Previously I had Paragard Copper IUD and it was so horrendously irritating with uncomfortable acidic brown copper smelling discharge for the three months I had it in, and brought on severe panic attacks, anxiety, depression, and mood swings. I had my boyfriend take it out for me because it was so horrible I couldn't wait for the dr office to open Monday. My emotional symptoms were gone almost immediately and the stinging acidic copper odor brown discharge went away within a few days. Awful experience having gross copper coils rust away in you're uterus. I just got Mirena & no pain during procedure, no cramping after, barely a brown tinge in clear mucous after...heavenly!!"

Sarah2018 December 8, 2017

For Birth Control "Okay this is strictly based on my IUD experiences till date. I'm an almost 28 year old, quite active with normal pain threshold female. Exactly 16 days ago, I went to my gyno's for an IUD and ended up getting the paragard inserted because It was my first ever birth control, and I really did not want hormones because of an incident I had with plan B the one and only time I took it. I went during my lunch break, and honestly, didn't feel much pain just little cramping during the insertion BUT my doctor used numbing medicine so I guess that helped. Fast forward 14 days later still bleeding, I had paragard removed during my period to be replaced by mirena, and insertion was more painful than with the numbing medicine. So ask to be numbed!!"

Just looking to stop my period (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

For Birth Control "35 yo w/1 child. Mirena was inserted 2.5 y ago. Procedure was not a big deal, cramping & bleeding wasn't an issue. No regular periods but do have spotting here and there. Nice to not have periods, seems to be effective as birth control. Issues: My always clear skin (I've never had acne) is oily and dry at same time & breaking out non stop. Face, hair line, neck, back. They leave scars. I've always been optimistic, easygoing, up to anything and happy and now I am extremely depressed, unhappy & moody. Sad commercials make me cry. I don't want to do anything, go anywhere, no matter how I motivate myself. Constant tiredness. Weight gain in belly, looks like a pouch. Pain in joints. Only recently put 2+2 together to figure out it started after Mirena. Removing!"

Nikitira (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2017

For Birth Control "Extremely effective birth control that makes me feel confident and safe as a single young woman. My friends have had pregnancy scares while taking the pill so it is nice that Mirena removes all that fear since I don't risk pregnancy by forgetting to take a pill. However, the insertion was excruciating and an absolutely horrible experience. I don't regret it though because it has completely stopped my menstruation saving me so much money on period products."

nyc2017 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Wow. Thank you for all your stories. I thought I was alone on this insanity. I'm 41 years old now, I was 39 years when I got the Mirena. Suggested to me by they gyno. I was referred to by the hospital as I went in with such agony and after a few months of bleeding, fed up. Always had ovarian cysts, normal, they tell me. I bleed all the time, like, my time of the month is when I don't bleed, which if I am a lucky gal, 2, 3 days in a row! Had to get a polyp removed from my uterus, because, again, that seems normal. Oh yeah, Mirena is so great, you might not even have a period. I'm thinking this is too much to be true. I could have no sex life before, you know bleeding all the time. So, I'm over a year with Mirena and still bleeding more than ever."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the mirena coil inserted against my better judgment. Had it for 2 years now for heavy frequent periods. Although it mostly became lighter I still get a period every 10 days which lasted 9 days. Nightmare! Every few months I get a very heavy bleed which lasts for 2 weeks with clotting. Have asked my doctor to take it out but I kept getting told that it would settle down. Last straw was when I started bleeding 3 weeks ago non stop. Some days so heavy I can't leave the house. I went to doctor and demanded it be taken out. She tried and couldn't get it out. She has referred me to a gynacologist which may take a while to get an appointment. Meanwhile I keep bleeding heavily. Would never recommend this product."

Angiey 100 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "After speaking with my Doctor and doing my research, I decided to try this Mirena to control my long heavy periods. Big mistake after 6 months of constant bleeding and depression I've decided to have it removed. I would rather have 5 days of heavy periods than to go 2 to 3 weeks and experience mood swings.."

Diamond's November 24, 2017