User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.2

Summary of Mirena reviews 6.5 1,880 reviews

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Ok, so I know it is only early as I have only had it fitted about an hour ok but I just wanted to review the experience of having it fitted. Having read horror stories on here I am surprised I went through with it so I want to give my opinion. Honestly it was not that bad. The most uncomfortable part was when they insert the tool (can't remember what it's called) to widen for insertion, pressure made me want to pee. Had a slight cramping feeling in my side but it was over then. I did take 2 ibuppofen half an hour before appt so I reckon that helped. Otherwise I feel fine and walked home."

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted almost 7 years ago for birth control. I have to have it taken out soon and am kind of dreading it. I’ve gotten so used to not having my period and not having to worry about being pregnant! I had mild cramping for a day after insertion, my biggest complaint was that I had some minor spotting for 4-6 months afterwards. Fortunately it wasn’t ever much to be concerned with- And gradually got less frequent to the point that the last 6 1/2 years I have not had my period except occasionally (like maybe twice a year) I’d spot for a day or two, I’d hardly even call it a period it was so little. Mirena is marketed as being effective for 5 years but the physicians assistant I saw maybe a year after said that research has shown it to be good for up to 7 and in Europe it’s marketed as 7. Overall I have been extremely satisfied."

Stella (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2018

For Birth Control "Insertion wasn't exactly painful. The measuring of my uterus felt extremely weird. It was inserted on the first day of my cycle (August 31st) and I have been bleeding/spotting since. Cramps started about an hour after insertion. Took 800mg ibuprofen for the next two days. Random cramping every now and then, but its not horrible."

KeToSo (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had the mirena for about 4 months. Insertion was fine just some cramps. Period has always been predictable and on time, not too heavy either. Still normal period after insertion. Random cramps stronger than usual but nothing too bad. Had random contraction type back pain that was breath taking but still it wasn't constant and didn't happen often. Now month 4 the right side of my pelvis has been cramping so bad that my kids will ask if I'm okay. I still ignored it. Now I'm having very sharp/pinching pain next to bottom of my hip bone. It comes in waves every few minutes and if I move wrong. My period came on time (more like spotting). It was only when I wiped and then next day was thick black when I wiped and in the toilet and then a mucusy glob tinged with blood and then nothing. 3rd day no blood at all but lots of tissue looking stuff and 4th day same again. I tried to check for the strings but can't feel them and the pain is getting to me. It's the weekend so haven't been seen by doctor."

Mommy23 September 9, 2018

For Birth Control "21y old. 5'11". 160lbs I got Mirena to start a job in a pharmacy. I didn't feel like asking my coworkers for my sprintec monthly. Remembering back, insertion was a very deep pain felt intensely for 4 seconds, light headedness for 15-20 minutes, and BAD cramping for 2 hours. Periods: STOPPED as soon as inserted. Weight : I LOST 25 lbs in the few months after. That could have also been due to my new job. My job included standing and no time for eating. My mood: Haven't had swings like I would with sprintec and when I was getting periods. So how about 11 months in now? I have ACNE again. Like 5-8 pimples at a time. That has started in last 2 months. So that is my 11 month update. Worse complexion is my biggest complaint. Having my one year check up in 2 weeks. Think I'll get a Rx to fight acne. I have had a different experience than most of the women on here so that's why I felt like sharing. Finding the right BC is HARD, but I think you can do it. I did. Good luck sister."

Marigold gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted a little over a year ago only as a birth control option. Before I got it I had never had a single cramp as a result of my period. I had never had any PMS symptoms at all up until I got the mirena. It was incredibly uncomfortable to get it inserted, and I bled for 3 months straight after with little to no breaks. After this ended, the following months were fine...however whenever my period came I would get excruciating cramps that lasted 1-2 days non stop. Not to mention my period occurs every 2 weeks now and lasts 2 weeks long as well, so I only have 2 weeks in between every period and it’s absolutely miserable for me. I have also almost completely lost my sex drive (keep in mind I am 20 years old). I have tried libido supplements for women of many brands but nothing seems to work. I cannot get turned on whatsoever and I really do believe it’s the mirena acting adversely with my body. I’m calling to get it taken out as soon as possible."

Anon September 3, 2018

For Birth Control "inserted May 4th 2018. Insertion itself wasn't bad but had some severe cramping for a few hours after (was sore for 3 days). If it continues to well I plan on to keep using until menopause but I'm going to give it a full year before making that call and I'm 35 yrs old now. I haven't seen any reviews that show a month by month account. I will share and maybe that will help someone in adjusting of 3 to 6 months if they aren't one of the instant no period group. Pre-IUD - 6 to 8 o.n. pads for 4 to 5 days with no spotting in between 1st cycle with 4 to 5 overnight pads for 4 days with 16 days of spotting. 2nd cycle 2 to3 overnight pads for 4 days with 14 days of spotting. 3rd cycle 1 overnight pad a day for 4 days with 14 days of spotting . 4th cycle 1 pad for 1 day with 12 days of spotting 5th cycle on currently- pantyliners only 6 days of spotting so far. At this point the only thing is for duration to make this any easier. But so far I'm pleased especially since I don't have to remember anything"

Meme616 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst decision ever!!!! I bleed pretty much every single day and have for over 6 months. I've been back to the Dr twice and they've checked it out and sent me for an ultrasound and everything looked fine. It's taken a huge mental toll on my life and has taken a toll on my relationship as well. Clearly not having sex if you're bleeding all the time! Beyond frustrating, I'm over it, it's coming out next week."

Elle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena in July of this year 2018. My experience with it has been great. The insertion process to me wasn't painful at all. I experienced mild cramps afterwards but nothing unbearable, I even went back to work to finish my shift and felt fine. I haven't had any complications with the Mirena at all."

Tootise (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

For Birth Control "First, I got this inserted 6 weeks AFTER I had my son so the insertion process was not hard or painful for me. I will not be able to share my experience on that because it was painless. After I got this IUD inserted, I gained almost all of the weight back that I was losing. My weight rose from 200lbs to 235 lbs... AWFUL. I have had depression and anxiety ever since this was inserted. I have felt like a psycho woman and my fiance has noticed it too. This has been the worst birth control ever and I would never recommend to anyone but everyone's body is different so, to each their own. The only good thing that has come out of this birth control is not getting pregnant but honestly I would have rather gotten pregnant again then experience what I have with this BC. I got it removed about a week ago (also painless to get it removed) because of this experience I have had with it and already feeling better. Giving it a 4 because it did actually prevent me from getting pregnant with unprotected sex."

Sydney Australia August 29, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had Mirena for 3 years now. Got it 3 months after giving birth. Bled for about 4-6 weeks initially and then period free for 6 months... I thought oh this is great! Yeah... but then she came back. My periods were sporadic at first. A few days, some times a week and no schedule whatsoever. Then I reached the end of year 2... and my period lasted for a month and I'd get 2 weeks of freedom and then another 2-3 week period and it's been like that ever since. I'm getting the damn thing removed in two weeks. Convenient simply for the sake of not having to take a pill and that's about the only positive. Side note: I've never had cramps and they weren't affected by Mirena... still no cramps."

JaneDoe (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted after birth it was a C Section so I went back to my Gyno one month after birth for the procedure to be honest it did not hurt and I did not even feel cramps. But it’s been two months now and am bleeding nonstop which is of great concern to me because am anemic from birth and it is so hard having to take care of myself, my baby, the extended family work and school is a big challenge for me. Am thinking of calling my gynecologist tomorrow already so frustrated."

Nikke (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my IUD 4 months ago and I have been spotting for 90% of the time since. It’s very frustrating and am trying to wait it out till the 6 month mark to see if it will level out, also because I’ve tried other hormonal birth control and it made me very irritable. The procedure itself was one of the most painful things I’ve experienced and I cramped occasionally for about a month after. My sister has one too and stopped bleeding very soon after so it depends on the person but I’m too scared to get it taken out because of how terrible it was to get in. Hopefully I can wait 2 more months and it will pay off."

Unhappy Mirena user (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I have gained 35 pounds in the years of using this product in the first six months I gained 15. I finally don't have periods. It is extremely hard to lose weight and when I do I can never lose more then ten pounds without gaining them back. I have been working out and eating well and nothing helps. At this point I would rather be pregnant then keep gaining weight that won't leave"

michelle August 23, 2018

For Birth Control "So I'm 34. Had it inserted 5 months ago. Never had kids. Most painful experience ever almost passed out. Heavy bleeding for 3 months off and on. Now my period is lighter. Cramps not any better and I get spotting and random cramps. Personally when my 5 years are up (or before) its coming out especially if things get worse. Random cramping in between and mood swings. Very annoying."

Lin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had Mirena for almost 2 years now. The insertation was quite painful for me. I had serious cramps for a couple days and a heavy period that lasted about 2 weeks. After that, it wasn’t too terrible. I’m 28 and no kids so it’s purpose is working. I haven’t noticed much difference in weight, sex drive, emotions, etc although I do still have anxiety. The past 6 months I’ve been getting regular periods but slightly less cramps than before I had it. My acne has been TERRIBLE so I had to go on medication to keep that at bay. I’ve also had bad GI issues including passing blood that comes and go every few weeks. I had a colonoscopy and all sorts of blood work but they have not discovered the cause. I’m removing my Mirena soon so I’m hoping some of the issues clear up. Overall, it was ok. I didn’t get pregnant, but between the regular periods and other issues I’m having I just want it gone to rule out this as a cause."

Kay (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I've talked to some women that love Mirena and others like myself that had horrible side effects. There were no side effects initially but after 5 months of having it I started having the following symptoms: Mood swings, irritability, anxiety, heart palpulations, cystic acne on face, arms & back None of these systoms are normal for me. I had the IUD removed and instantly felt better. I will not get Mirena again."

MamaK (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the mirena as for me it sounded like the best option, not having to worry about it for 5 years and it has less hormones than the pill. Before I went in I had 2 ibuprofen and an oxy. I got it in just as my period was ending as the cervix is generally a bit more dilated and to minimise bleeding. For background I am 21 with no kids. The procedure was fairly painless and just felt some slight cramping as the doctor put it in the cervix. The day I got it in (Monday) I couldn't get out of bed for around 5 hours after as it was just serious cramping which is normal and is your body adjusting, Day two was normal period like cramps and slight discharge. Day three (Today) no cramping and no discharge and feeling great. Don't be discouraged by one persons negative experience always try it out for yourself, you may love it and its not really a big deal to get it taken out if you don't."

Evie August 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had the implant for 10 yrs but started getting more frequent heavier bleeding. GP recommended the Mirena as I'm 99% sure I'm not having any more kids plus they work better than the implant in older women (30+). I've had 2 kids but by c-section so was warned that insertion could be difficult. GP referred me to a gyno since I had to have a colposcopy and biopsy anyway so asked if he could do it all together. GP also prescribed me diazapam to take the night before and morning of to help relax my cervix. Insertion was uncomfortable and felt like a sharp cramp but no worse than getting the implant. Gyno was lovely and we chatted through the whole thing. I did flinch when the clampy thing to open my cervix went in! 4-5 hrs post-insertion and I've still got some period-like cramping. Had very light bleeding, which has since stopped. I'll wait to see how it goes over the next few weeks/months but so far not as bad as some of the experiences I've read about on here, thankfully!"

L August 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena inserted less than 48 hours ago (Tuesday morning... it is now Wednesday night), so I can only review insertion. I wasn’t on my period but it was so easy! I am 22, never given birth. I took 800mg ibuprofen about 2 hours before insertion. The anticipation was the worst part! Once I got into the room, it took no longer than 5 minutes. The doctor gave me an injection in my cervix, which was only a small pinch. She wasted no time getting the IUD in and it was over before I knew it! The insertion was quick and relatively painless, felt like a short, intense cramp for about 2 seconds. I got up and felt completely pain free. I had some bleeding for the rest of the day, not super heavy but I had to wear a pad. Only started feeling period-like cramps about 2 hours later, but nothing too bad. I haven’t felt any pain for over 8 hours now and bleeding is basically gone. I can confirm that insertion is NOT painful for everyone, so don’t freak yourself out for nothing!"

grumbling-bear (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the IUD placed in January of this year. During the procedure, I was told I will feel mild cramping and experience light bleeding after. It ended with me having diarrhea immediately after, then my feet went numb. I wasn’t not able to get off the toilet and get out of the bathroom. The doctors literally had to break into the bathroom, the lifted me off the toilet, and had to wipe me. I couldn’t do it myself. I ended being dizzy, having a headache, and vomiting everywhere. I couldn’t even drive home afterwards. My husband had to leave his job to come get me and our daughter. I have experienced headaches everyday and cramping almost everyday. My mood has gotten worse and so has my depression and anxiety. No weight gain, or weight loss. I’ve been the same. I have been trying to have this thing removed but my doctors keep pushing back my appointment. I have seen so many sad stories about this thing and I want it too be removed. I would like to avoid any further issues and warn others."

Anna August 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my IUD inserted about 1 month ago. I've never had kids, so I had to be dilated and that PLUS the actual insertion of the IUD was dizzying and super painful. I was spotting and cramping for the next two days consistently then after that, spotting and cramping every other day for the next two weeks. 1 month later I don't have any spotting or cramping and the strings have softened so my bf doesn't feel them anymore. I used to be on Levora for 3 years and switched because it was making me extremely moody and sensitive so I thought the Mirena IUD would be a better alternative and I was right. I am completely balanced in mood, no weight gain, and no acne outburst to date."

appleseed (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2018

For Birth Control "So I've had my mirena coil in for 5 years and is due to come out. This is my second one. I've developed an infection from it as and I am on antibiotics. I'm just wondering has this happened to anyone else"

Rosyposy August 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I got this because I was going back to Uni out of state and didn't want to worry about being on the pill. Getting the IUD inserted was the worst possible thing. It hurt so much because I've never had kids. I was in a lot of pain for about a week or so but once that past it was only slightly painful. That being said, I would get random bursts of pain for about 2-3 weeks. After that though, I was completely fine. Its been about 3 months and I haven't had any complications thus far. The only thing that's come up is that my boyfriend could feel it during sex but as time went on, the strings have softened."

C37251 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "After suffering from debilitating cramping and super-heavy bleeding naturally (without birth control intervention of any kind) for ten years, a doctor finally convinced me to try birth control for the problem. Inserting the thing was excruciating. The debilitating cramping following the procedure lasted for six weeks before it faded to about a 6 on the scale... and stayed there for two years. After two years, one particularly "rough" menstrual cycle resulted in literally level 10 cramping (passing out) and bleeding for three straight month's. Considering the huge weight gain, acne and other side effects actually listed for the drug made me feel so unattractive that sex was out of the question, I decided that that must be why mirena was so effective as a birth control. I had the thing yanked after two years and I opted to have the problem organ removed completely. Women! We need to fight for better treatment for extreme menstrual problems. How many pills do they have for ED now?"

Oppressed Female August 1, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...