User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 251 reviews 162 medications

5.8
Summary of Mirena reviews 1429 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 25 and got my Minera a little over a month ago. I have a very high pain tolerance, but I won't lie to insertion hurt a lot, but I also haven't had children. I spotted bad for two weeks, and then that stopped, now I just get random cramps sometimes, but nothing compared to the disabling cramps I got while on the pill. My random back pain has also almost completely gone away. I feel like I have come out of a brain fog and can think better. I am no longer crying at everything and feel much more myself--even my husband has mentioned I seem more myself. I also have much more of a libido now--my husband loves it. We aren't ready for kids yet, so not having to remember to take a pill every days has really helped me not stress over sex."

JumpyPanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena iud put in on June 23. I had spotting afterwards for a few days then my regular period at the time it was supposed to be. But then had my 6week check up. She said the strings were curled up around my cervix. So she got these long tweezers things cause she said she had to check the strings. She unfurled them and said "ohhh yes there they are" then said okay I'm done everything looks good. BUT since August 4th I've been non stop spotting and everyday for about 3hours it's more then spotting but not period amount, and lots of pain full cramping. I don't know what to think anymore. Before the 6week check up I loved it but I don't know what happened when she uncurled the strings."

Jesy85 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

For Birth Control "My friend and I, both 18, got Mirena as birth control. She loves hers. The insertion was painful, but manageable- the side effects are what's really bad. Before, my period was short, light, and I have NEVER cramped. Since getting my IUD, I have consistantly bled heavily. Daily, I have crippling cramps to where I can no longer continue to drive or walk. I often wake up moaning in pain and crying. I got an ultrasound yesterday and everything looked fine. I'm not saying not to get Mirena, but I strongly recommend considering other options or being okay with dealing with the side effects. This has been a terrible experience for me, and a great experience for my friend so you can never really be sure how it will be for you."

sarahdelayne (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 25 years old and have never been pregnant. Due to having migraines with aura, I needed an estrogen-free form of BC. I was on Depo Provera ('the shot') for 1.5 years and HATED it. I gained 20lb without changing my diet, spotted for a year straight with no breaks, and was an overall mess. Mirena was the obvious choice for me. Insertion was not fun (<5 min.) and the 2 hours after insertion I had awful period-like cramps. However, they subsided and by the end of the night, I was okay. The next morning, no pain! My spotting from the Depo even lifted. I have only been on Mirena less than a week, but so far I love it. My anxiety definitely made the insertion process worse, so try to relax."

Formerly on Depo August 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the mirena in Jan 2015 and had remove it by July 2015. As a contraceptive it worked. I used to be on the pill and I put on 20kg with it. I came off it and got the mirena and couldn't lose weight whilst on it. So although I didn't put weight on whilst on mirena, I feel like if I hadn't taken the pill before, the mirena prob would've been the culprit to make me put on weight. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, don't do it. The side effects I experienced: - spotting everyday/random periods completely irregular overall - bad headaches - extremely bloated - couldn't lose weight - moodiness and emotional - periods never went back to normal after mirena- they've been irregular for past year despite being hormone free!"

Alishab August 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I first started birth control around 2004, age 22. I tried the Pill, and all it did was make me spot and have periods that lasted for weeks- so I stopped using it. Then I tried the NuvaRing- that worked for about 3 months then the spotting started again. I then had no birth control until August of 2010. I wasn't sexually active- so didn't worry about it. I had been told when I first tried to get the IUD in 2004 that you can't have one unless you've had at least one child, so I gave up. It was either between Mirena or Paragard-since I have heavy menstrual cycles and cramps and PMS, I chose the Mirena. I had the first one in August of 2010 and my second one in September of 2015. I have had no bad experience with it- my periods are light"

Da5 August 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Ladies!!! Do yourself a favor and stop reading these. Everybody is different and we all have different insertion experiences. I just got mirena inserted this morning. I am 24 years old and I've never had a baby. I was extremely nervous, as this was my second attempt at inserting mirena. I went last week and my cervix was too tight so they sent me home with a prescription that was to be put in my vagina the next week before I go in again. The second time (this morning) was a lot easier. Yes, it does hurt a bit but nothing I couldn't handle. Honestly the worst part for me was the cramps afterwards. I had bad cramps for about 5 minutes and ended up throwing up. After that I felt much better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Just got marina inserted today. Was on bc for years tried pill patch etc. Hubby then got snip which failed but we are delighted with our little bundle of joy. Really did not know what to expect and was very nervous about insertion. I took ponston before hand and it did not hurt. Measurement went fine then when inserted felt something but very mild. Not like some reviews. So far so good but dont have it long enough to comment on side effects. Insertion not as bad as i expected. Will update in a few months time"

emma d August 17, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 49 & have had heavy bleeding, big clots, terrible cramping ALL my life. With the heavy blood loss i had very low heamaglobin & anemia. Twice I had to have a course of iron vaccines in my butt leaving stains for years. Had Mirena put in by gyno when I was 45. She said to give it so least a year to settle & it will be worth it. She was right. First 10 months my periods were all over the place compared to before regular 28day cycle all my life but the flow got less & less. Cramping reduced couple months after insertion of Mirena. Definitely by 1 year my periods had stopped "

AussieNT August 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Got the iud for heavy periods. Has helped so much, very light periods now, some spotting. should've gotten the iud years ago!"

Krisgirl August 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted one week ago today. My family doctor, as well as a very rude OBGYN, were both not able to get it in. I went to a women's clinic and had it inserted by someone who does this all day every day. I was surprised by how quick and relatively painless it was - a small twinge of pain on insertion, not much else. The next day, 24 hours after insertion (almost to the minute) I had horrible, debilitating pain on my left side, down my leg and up my back. It's a foreign object in your body, so your body is going to try to expel it. I took Advil but eventually needed T3's to get rid of the pain. After a few days, the daily pains went away. I am still bleeding (had it inserted on day 2 of my period). Otherwise I feel great!"

CheeryCherry August 17, 2016

For Birth Control "For the most part I liked the mirena. The only problem I had with it that I see no one mentioning is that I had heavy discharge to the point of having to wear a pantiliner everyday or it looked like I wet myself. On the pill now and the discharge is normal again."

Trinia 85 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started the mirena in Jan 2016. Now August. Still spotting or bleeding 20 days a month although the bleeding is light, still annoying that I bleed so long. Libido absent. Debating taking it out and getting the ablation."

Mj7851 August 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I´ve had my Mirena removed, after a year and a half with it, for almost a year now. From the beginning to the end it was a nightmare. My periods were endlessly, I was getting the shape of a balloon, my breasts were huge, I´ve had daily hives for a period, my fingers developped arthritis, it felt like my body was collapsing, always tired and in a weird mood. Nowadays, I am much better, my period is back to its normality....but the extra weight is still a problem...almost there!"

LetíciaMAL August 15, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had experienced heavy bleeding for years resulting in anemia and just difficulties doing my normal routine.(It's tough to go to work when you are changing a heavy duty overnight pad every hour.) Finally on May 20, 2015 at the suggestion of my GP and gynecologist I had a Mirena placed. The next few months I saw the benefit of decreased bleeding, but I gained 15 lbs, my blood pressure went up 20 points systolic, 10 diastolic, and the worst was my severe bouts with anxiety and panic. Had it removed January 4, 2016. Everything has been getting gradually better. Doc said the bleeding would return, I've had one light period in March, none since. I'm 52."

Amaeb August 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the IUD a little over two months ago after searching forever for a birth control that has good side affects and doesn't make you gain weight. I haven't gained a single pound from being on it. My periods are have still come but they are super light and last about 3 days, they are also sporadic but I don't blame it too much since before my periods used to last 7 days and were sporadic anyways.I have little to no cramping and when I do cramp it lasts about 3 days and usually the 3 days I lightly bleed. Also every now and then I check for the strings and they are always there in place. The reason I am giving it 9/10 is because how many stories I hear about having to have surgery and it makes me stress about what if."

nic2154 August 14, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have always controlled my periods and the heaviness of them with the pill. When the pill no longer worked to Control my heavy bleeding and huge clots, the mirena was suggested to try , otherwise I would need a hysterectomy. I have to say the mirena is the best thing I have ever done. I wish I done it years earlier. Once inserted , I had a light period every second week, for about 6 weeks. Then nothing, no period at all. I do get slight spotting maybe every 3 months . Honestly this is the best thing for my health. I feel so much better , no more pain, heavy bleeding, clots or anemia and I have much more energy."

Maree Victoria (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 13, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena IUD inserted January 2016 due to heavy periods. With the IUD my periods were lighter but lasted 2 weeks. My moods changed severely and I had cramping everyday during my 2 week periods. I have developed acne cyst on my face, sex had become painful and I began to bleed after sex. I had become miserable. Four days ago I had my IUD removed. The string had coiled and my doctor had great difficulty getting it out. Since its removal, I started with very light spotting. I am in day four and I have heavy bleeding and I am passing HUGE clots. I am experiencing gushing which causes me to fill up pads within and hour. I'm dizzy, have no energy, bloated and a constant headache. NEVER AGAIN!!!"

UGH!!! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2016

For Birth Control "Had the mirena in 5 months now, okay so before I got that, periods would last sometimes 3 weeks at a time, and I'd be in pain most of the month .. so early days. . I had my mirena inserted at the same time as having a laparoscopy for endometriosis. . So I wasn't walking much that week anyway, and then my first two cycles (months) with the mirena the cramping was so bad it felt like I was being sawn in half with a chainsaw (no joke) but no blood or spotting whatsoever .. 5 months down the track.. no pain at all and no spotting and has been like that for the past 3 months.. reason for not giving mirena a perfect 10 is because I've definitely noticed extra hair growth.. but nothing tweezers can't fix.. but it is noticeable to me"

Izibella (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the birth control IUD mirena placed just after my six month check up after having my baby! No problem having it inserted but I do NOT recommend this to any breastfeeding mother! (Yes, every body and hormones are different for everyone) however, this almost completely dried up my milk not even a month into having it inserted! Thankfully I realized it in time and had it removed immediately and was able to get my milk supply back! Anyone who breastfeeds knows how hard it is in the first six weeks so I didn't want to give up what I worked so hard to get! Also, I felt it made me very moody and irritable all the time! Having it taken out was an extremely quick process and I never felt a thing! Always trust what your body is telling you!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2016

For Birth Control "Don't let all the negative comments scare you away, bad experience are much more likey to reported than good, everyone's body will react in their own unique way, and this is a great product if it works well with your body. Due to a family history of breast cancer I was given the choice between mirena and implanon which do not rely on estrogen. I have never had children so while the measuring of my uterus and placement of the IUD were near painless, the 2-3 days after were full of sever cramping. Before Mirena I had fairly heavy periods and these slowly became occasional spotting. I've had this for 4.5 years with no side effects that I've read about on here and I still have middle pain and all the symptoms of a period without the mess."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena for 2 months now I been bleeding the whole 2 months. It finally starting to lighten up. I have gain 15lbs and it makes me eat a lot. I had really good eating habits before I got this. I was thinking of another contraception but my doc told me give it sometime. I had pains in the beginning not anymore. If I could stop the weight I would be OK."

Lee86lee August 10, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was put on blood thinners due to a PE and had heavy periods that were leading to anemia. I needed something non-hormonal to stop the blood. Mirena was reco'd as it contains the hormone in your uterus rather than bloodstream. The first month, my period lasted a while, but was overall lighter. 2nd month, I had a super light period. 3rd month...unexpected heavy bleeding, but I wasn't clotting, so I didn't think anything of it. 4th day in...clots between golf ball and baseball size. Doc couldn't find strings. I had to get a depo provera shot because it was assumed it came out in a clot. Ultrasound today revealed it is still in there, but strings are not visible. I will probably have it taken out because as others have mentioned, the sciatica."

Jess12345678 August 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena IUD in for 5 years now, so it's time to get it removed. I have LOVED using this form of birth control......once it's in, you're set for 5 years. I've had virtually no periods the whole time, except for an occasional light day. I would totally get another one if I wasn't contemplating having kids. I highly recommend this birth control method."

Hazel Roni (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2016

For Birth Control "Hello everyone, I got Mirena inserted 4 years ago as of this Nov 2016. It's been great. My period before Mirena was 9 days, set to a stopwatch, heavy, with cramping that made me vomit and pass out for several hours on a 28 day cycle. It was impending doom and very easy to track. Now my period is very sporadic. I just started a "cycle" 2 days ago with terror cramps and heavy flow, but last time i had this kind of period was 8 months ago. In between has been spotting or nothing. The negative reviews are really negative and the positive reviews are really positive. Everyone has a different body and it's hard to go off of reviews and see how yours will respond. Do your research and understand the risks. It was the best choice I've made %u263A"

Tazrazzimo289 August 7, 2016