User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.1

Summary of Mirena reviews 6.4 1,984 reviews

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I had a bit of spotting after I got it. That spotting continued for three days. On forth day my period came as expected. It was longer than usual- around a week and a half. But when my period ended, I started experiencing weird things. It all started feeling lightheaded on Monday evening. The next morning I woke up feeling really nauseous, very dizzy and tired. All I wanted to do is sleep, I didn’t have much appetite. The symptoms kept getting worse and on Thursday I went to see a doctor. Their reaction to my story really surprised me. “You’re probably pregnant” the doctor said as she asked asked me to pee in a cup and took out pregnancy test. I told her “how can that be if I have a IUD?!” That test came back negative. Doctor also told me that if I’m not pregnant it’s probably just my body getting used to the hormones inside IUD. I suffered for few more days.I would just sleep and felt like puking all day long. Exactly one week later I felt like myself again."

Alex June 21, 2019

For Birth Control "The IUD was a nightmare! For starters getting it in hurt like a #### it felt like mini contractions for 5 days and even after the initial pain from getting it in I always felt fullness in my abdomen and like something was there. Secondly it made me irritable like I wanted to snap at everyone around me. Worst of all, after having the Mirena in for 3 months I started my period and had the worst cramps of my life and the heaviest bleeding I had ever seen. The bleeding was so bad I went to the ER because I was afraid I was loosing too much blood. I bled heavily everyday for an entire month and I ended up bleeding out the IUD because it got dislodged. Fast forward to now when I want to conceive after having 6 early miscarriages I found out that embryos aren't able to implant in my uterus properly because I have scarring on my uterus from the IUD"

GingerLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2019

"After having the IUD inserted I noticed heavy bleeding still to the point of changing pads 6 times a day along with a bloated face, weight gain, itchy skin, swollen feet and ankles, migraines and not being able to sleep. 7 months into it I was still experiencing itchy skin, migraines, weight gain, bloating with heavy non stop bleeding. After 7 months I’d had enough it was removed There was no pain, just a slight tug and I have felt better since, After 4 days of removing it the bleeding stopped, migraines went, itchy skin has disappeared and my bloating, weight gain has returned to normal, I’m actually losing weight and returning to my pre insertion weight again. Although I’d experienced various symptoms, the IUD Mirena is neither good or bad, it varies from person to person, my experience wasn’t the best I will admit, but with other readers it may be perfect. I just wanted to share my experience and hope that it was helpful."

Umbrella Academy June 19, 2019

For Birth Control "Got the Mirena in November of 2018. Worst pain ever. Think of a cramp but 10x that cramp. Felt nauseous/dizzy but after 2 minutes I was okay & shuffled my feet back to my car and then to work. Not kidding. The first 2 days after insertion felt like I had hella cramps from a period... anyways I am mainly writing this review because I was happy about the Mirena in the beginning... bc at the time I was in a relationship and I was not taking my pills on time. So after the IUD I was so happy and didn’t have a worry at all!! But my cravings of SWEETS / powder donuts increased like something terrible. I had gained 10 pounds within the NEXT month of getting it. How annoying right !? Well I still continued to exercise as normal and gained 5 more pounds... it is now June and I am ready to just go back on the pills again. Just so unhappy with my weight now. I’m hoping things will go back to normal when I get it out."

Paigee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2019

For Birth Control "I just got my IUD and went it expecting it to hurt but also assuming most comments may have been over exaggerated. I cannot explain the amount of pain the insertion process was. I thought it would be less than my expectations but it surely surpassed all of them. I would rate the pain 9/10 since it was the most painful experience in my life. However, it was extremely fast and the whole procedure took less than 2 mins. Would I do it again ? Ask me in a few weeks but right not the answer is NO. I felt a wave of intense cramps (uncomfortable but fine) and then a stabbing and sensation that caused me to scream and cry in pain. After my appointment I didn’t have bad cramps at all and went on with my day. Note: I have not given birth before. I was not on my period. I took 3 aleve before but this did not help."

Just got it (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2019

For Birth Control "I'm on my second Mirena IUD now. It hurt just a tiny bit getting it inserted each time. I've never had any cramping nor side effects of any kind. The best part is NO PERIOD since getting the first Mirena!"

Sue (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 15, 2019

For Birth Control "Just got my Mirena today and nobody told me that it would hurt this bad - I can't even walk or sit comfortable and once it was inserted I tried to sit up and almost passed out had to sit there for 30 minutes before I could get up and still was weak once I got up but we will see how good it is in a few months will update y'all"

Bonitalex June 14, 2019

For Birth Control "First few months with Mirena seemed great with minimal (although sporadic) bleeding. HAIR LOSS: after the first few months my hair began to fall out. I don't have bald patches or anything but over 9 months I believe my hair has thinned down to 50 % (and it wasn't very dense to begin with). Then came the ACNE - cystic acne on jawline and cheeks and on my back, which I've NEVER had before in my life!!! At 37yrs this was a BIG set back. I could have dealt with the pain of insertion if the effects of Mirena were good but they were not. In the last month I had every gynaecological problem you could think of, again, never had before in my life. This also meant that my GP could not remove it until things settled down, which led to an expensive visit to the gyno to have it taken out. Don't try it unless your current contraception is failing you on serious, MULTIPLE levels."

Ro (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2019

For Birth Control "People really over hype things in the reviews which made my anxiety go thru the roof. My Dr. was great and I didn’t know the Mirena was in and there was no cramping thus far but the worst part and most painful part is pulling the cervix down - I hated that but everything was great honestly."

Whit (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 12, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got Mirena for abnormal bleeding due to a large fibroid. While it helped with the amount of bleeding, which had in the past made me severely anemic, I have had some awful side effects: - migraines - one every week or two - bacterial vaginosis-constant discharge requiring pads when not on period - still have lengthy period of 2+ weeks - my fibroid 5cm grew larger and is located below where Mirena is, so I was told if/when I want Mirena removed, it will require surgery because dr cannot get to the strings I got it 3 months ago and am now considering surgery to get it removed. It has caused a lot of problems and these complications were a high price to pay for helping the bleeding issue. My situation is probably a rare case, but if you have a large fibroid be aware this can happen...."

skb (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I had my son in 2015 and got my Mirena 1 month after, I’m 4 years in and yes I loved it til I starting to realize things, I should have picked up on a long time ago. The process was smooth and easy for me to say but I’ve noticed 1. I’m consistently overwhelmed about everything. 2. Easy frustrated or angry 3. Really bad sweet addiction 4. Consistently wanting to eat like binge eating 5. Possible depression 6. Up and down in weight but I work out six days a week so i didn’t think it effected me just thought it was me.. I started to notice more change When I started prepping a women’s bikini contest and I realize things were gettin worse. I was in a dark place and I couldn’t snap out of it. After talking with a gym partner I thought that maybe it was just me and I realized a lot of what I’ve been going thru she had similar effect! once she was off it took her a few months to feel normal but I can say one minute I'm normal and then I’m not."

IG: unotbae June 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had the Mirena for almost 6 years. Last Aug was the 5 year mark and they told me it “should” continue to work up to 7 years. The insertion was the worst pain I’ve ever felt. I lost a lot of blood, 10/10 pain, and I immediately felt dizzy/nauseous. I had to stay in the doctors office for an hour until I felt better. I had cramping for a day or two. Over the next 6 months, I spotted constantly (annoying!). But I also lost some stubborn weight, and I felt more energetic. Fast forward to a 1 yr later and I was the leanest and happiest I’ve ever been. I know this contradicts other people’s experiences, but my body adjusted after a few months. I did also get one ruptured cyst at year 2 (not nearly as painful). I am now thinking about having it removed as I have a feeling that it is wearing off (PMS returning - cramping, breast tenderness, mood swings, weight gain)."

Monique June 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I received the Mirena on February 11, 2019 and it have been causing me issues since I received it. Mirena is extremely painful going in and cause bleeding with terrible cramping. I have been experiencing terrible migraines, nausea, abdominal cramping, sore breast, and vomiting. However I am scheduled to get it removed in a week and I am excited."

Queen Zola (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I am 41, have had two vaginal births. The insertion took about 3 minutes. There were two flashes of pain, a pinching, cramping feeling, and it was done. I had been terrified of the procedure, and it was genuinely fine - and I don’t have particularly high pain threshold or anything. I took deep breaths, told myself to remain calm, and it was done extremely quickly. I had cramps afterwards for about 3 minutes - pain was completely gone within minutes, and I drove home. Not a drop of pain after, but some mild (almost invisible) spotting, which stopped by the next morning. So far so good - I wonder why I didn’t do this years - decades - ago. I live in a country with universal health care so I didn’t have to pay a cent. Had I not had a prescription the IUD would have cost 100 Euros. I'm blown away at the costs I’m seeing listed above."

41 in Europe and Canada (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I love Mirena as a birth control! Absolute best. Wish I had tried it along time ago and not been so weirded out by it. Insertion was a breeze, felt no pain, but let’s be honest, nothing compares to labor. I got it inserted after I had my son. No pill to remember, no nasty side effects like cramps or moodiness. Best part is that I’m actually in the mood for sex! Pills always made me feel so “blah.” I’ve had it inserted for 6 months and very happy. I can still tell when I ovulate but I do not get a period. Haven’t had one since insertion. Spotting after insertion but disappeared. Strongly recommend."

Mirenasupporter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have only had it for a few weeks so who knows how it will be later. The insertion was painful but it just felt like bad period cramps for about 24 hours after and now I feel nothing. I have been spotting every day since I got it but I got it because I usually bleed 3 weeks out of the month. I'm hoping this will get rid of my period completely in a few months. I have the white hormonal implant, not the copper one. I have had no side effects besides minor daily spotting. One panty liner lasts all day."

Livingston (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had serious depression and anxiety. I had it removed and immediately felt better."

BEANIE (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2019

For Birth Control "I had a horrible experience with the Miren IUD. I had always been on the pill and after baby I tried the IUD. Shortly after I became overwhelmed with anxiety and depression. I was a new mom and couldn’t perform my duties. I was in a dark place. My digestion was so messed up I was in so much pain trying to go to the bathroom I would come close to passing out. I have been Mirena free for 3 months and I’m working so hard to get my body back. The depression and anxiety are gone. My body is very sick still. I have mild digestion issues. I take many supplements to balance it out. I have daily headaches. I’m always tired no matter how much sleep I get. I have a lot of pressure in my head. I still do not know the extent of the damage caused, but I was healthy before Mirena and I can say it has ruined my life and robbed me of my child’s first 7 months. I do not recommend anybody to get this kind of birth control. The risks and side effects are to severe when there are other options out there."

Kaylee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2019

For Birth Control "So I’ve had my Mirena IUD for about a year now I have weight gain which was surprising because I do eat healthy and work out so my weight usually stays the same. Since I’ve been on the IUD I have gained about 25-30 pounds that I can’t loose. My breast hurts for at least 3 weeks out of a month I have spotting and brown discharge I had strong cramps for the first 7 months. I have had my hair falling out too. As far as birth control it has worked for me but these side effects have been hard on how I see my self and I’m not confident anymore. (If you don’t have horrible side effects I’m sure I would love it. )"

Nickname. (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 5, 2019

For Birth Control "After insertion, which was much more painful than they said it would be, I gained back 50 lbs I had lost 2 yrs before. Over 6 yrs I'd asked 2-3 times about removal due to side affects, Drs convinced me it was not Mirena. Finally, after 6th year and having horrible night sweats, panic attacks, headaches and basically the worst year ever, I demanded removal. They still tried to convince me to get another. Afterwards things got MUCH worse. I was probably entering perimenopause and my hormones were so messed up by then. I am now on HRT which has helped a lot but I am still having a lot of problems as I try to get back to normal and will attempt to balance hormones with seed cycling. Haven't started yet. Since removal of Mirena I've lost 35 lbs. I will tell everyone I know not to use that thing."

Posie June 4, 2019

For Birth Control "Mirena gave me the worst acne and my hair started falling out."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 4, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena IUD for 6 months and am pleased with my choice. Upon getting it, I was sore the next day but functional. I had mild side effects for the first 2 months including spotting, cramps, back acne and general blah feeling. The side effects were mild and intermittent. Within 2 months, the side effects never returned. I stopped getting my period, which became less and less each time until I stopped having one after 2 months. My first period on mirena was heavy and painful lasting about 5 days. My second lasted 3 days and was mild. My third was light spotting and then nothing since. I have not gained weight but I haven't lost any either. My weight seems pretty fixed on this IUD. Once the mild side effects were gone, I truly forgot I even have an IUD. Very happy with this choice and glad I stuck it out the first few months. So, no periods, no lasting side effects, no pregnancy and no need to remember to take a pill... Worth the 2 months it took my body to adjust."

CObb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 4, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had the Mirena in since 2015 I was 18 and no previous pregnancies. After I got it, it was very painful but I didn’t pass out or cry. I had a flight to Florida immediately after so that was the worst! In the beginning I had a period that lasted about 2 months, but It was very light. I’ve always had cramps with my period so the Mirena didn’t make it much worse. Up until now 2019 I started getting a lot of pain and full aches daily and painful sex. Possible increase in my depression & anxiety at the beginning of this year. I'm getting it replaced with the Kyleena which is much smaller and lower dosage so I’m hoping it helps!"

Lila B May 30, 2019

For Birth Control "Worked great for 3 years then while going through a divorce I ended up conceiving twins!! Turning my 3 kids into 5. Ruined my life. Yes you can get pregnant with Mirena and even conceive twins, Thank you Mirena."

Sp (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena in for 2 years exactly. I found it better and easier on my body & mood compared to the contraceptive pill, but definitely not a cake walk. The insertion was quick but very alarming to my body as I broke out in a major sweat and got dizzy. My doc had to run and get me a cold washcloth for my forehead to calm me down. I was able to drive home, but had major cramping for about 2-3 days. At the 3 month mark, I noticed my mood was very apathetic all the time. I had no highs or lows, which is pretty infuriating. I gained 8-10lbs without any diet change, my hair thinned/broke easily, I broke out on my back and chin/neck and my sex drive lessened. To feel like myself, I had to get acupuncture every month to level out my hormones. It helped a little. The only plus is that my period mostly disappeared after 2 months. I would spot once in a while, but only for a day or so. I got it removed (no pain at all & easy) and got pregnant with my first baby easily 3 months later with zero complications."

A.L. May 20, 2019