User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 322 reviews 169 medications

5.5
Summary of Mirena reviews 1668 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "-The Mirena IUD insertion was about an 8/10 on pain scale. After I left the procedure, I had zero pain that night and wasn't limited in any way. In the weeks following I had minor cramping. I had my period for about two straight months following insertion. -I had my mirena inserted in March, and it is now mid-July. I get my period at least once month, sometimes with heavy cramping on day 1. -My biggest word of caution is regarding weight gain. Post insertion I've had a lot of issues maintaining my weight and I am truly consistent with what I eat. I've gained 10 pounds w/o changing my diet. It is VERY hard to the lose weight. I'm now 3 mo. Post insertion and my weight has suddenly levelled back out, with no changes to my diet. Super weird."

Veronica89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I decided to share my experience to add a positive review about the Mirena IUD. I had my IUD inserted about a week ago. Going in for the insertion I was terrified based on all the reviews I read online referring to the pain. An hour before my appointment I took 800mg of ibuprofen, my gyno didn’t recommend anything else before the insertion. When the insertion started, I kept waiting for the worst pain of my life to come but it didn't. The pain was about 4/10, but I wouldn’t even consider it pain, uncomfortable may be a better word (sharp cramping but bearable) My period is already much lighter than usual to the point that I’m only wearing panty liners (I never had very heavy periods previously and I’ve been on the pill for about 5 years)"

Chlo93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I put off getting the IUD for a few months because of all the reviews that I've read about them. Well I bit the bullet and got it because how am I supposed to know if I'll have all the problems that other ladies have had if I don't try it? Having it put in was easy, maybe 2 minutes. After though I did get sweaty, shaky and I did throw up a few times. I had a friend drive me as I had horrid cramps. I went home, took a Tylenol and slept it off! Day 2 was the odd cramp. I'm a week in and no cramps. still spotting here and there but that's normal Don't be scared. Try it out and if it's not for you, you can have it removed. I made an appointment to talk to the obgyn about the IUD before I was even positive on getting it. Don't worry :)"

Leafy.Bitch (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Yes it definitely worked as a birth control but completely changed my personality in the meantime. The 14 day periods, tender breasts and stabbing pains, I could have coped with until it settled; but the anger out of nowhere, falling out with family and my partner, irrational crying, feeling totally emotionally unbalanced and actually hating who I'd become were horrific. I'd be very careful when choosing this contraception and look out for these signs and get it removed asap."

L0uc July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Had the copper coil for 10 years with no probs just my periods slightly heavier. Convinced by doctor to have mirena as it was so great ( even though I had no probs with the copper and no probs with heavy periods) I was sold. Anyways all was fine for the first week then exactly 1 week later ( and nothing else in my life changed) I started to get manic, anxious and felt like I was running away from danger all the time. I wanted to cry as I felt so out of control and powerless. My blood pressure went up and I have a leaky heart valve and this is not good. So cross I was fooled. My hormones do affect my mood. Some women like it I hate it with a passion!"

LAMBLong July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had IUD PUT IN IN April and continued on pill with this for two months. Started spotting during my last week of pills and then received the period from hell and it pretty much has NOT stopped! I went on this for heavy bleeding and long periods and was told it would more than likely eliminate my period.....however, just the opposite! We are in July amd I have had a period, light bleeding or spotting EVERY day? Wish I had have just endured the heavy periods for 9 or so days as this is ridiculous. Thought about having it removed but read that some people bleed for months after removal. STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT USING Mirena IUD."

cyberjaxz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My #1 prayer is that someone will read this BEFORE they put this poison in their body referred to as Mirena. I had the IUD put in after my Implanon was removed (btw, Implanon was incredible, for me. But my OB insisted I got Mirena). I had it in for about 5 years, yes my periods were light but sex sucked; it was painful during and after, I was never "in the mood". I gained about 50 pounds, grew depressed obviously. Usually athletic and excited to work out, I became super tired and lazy all of the time. It took a toll on my relationship, I don't even see why he stayed with me (but he's amazing ☺️)! About a month ago I got the IUD removed. It was a short, sweet procedure and I instantly felt better (just knowing it was out of me gave me so much satisfaction). I was on a light period when it was removed and it eventually ended as normal.... one month later I started my period again (normal). But I have been bleeding since, it's been about 3.5-4 weeks. And if I'm not "bleeding" I have brown discharge (looks like dried up blood). I feel crummy and I long for normalness! I felt as if I have taken 5 steps forward, getting it removed, just to take ten steps back! Don't do it! At this point I wouldn't advise bc at all but obviously people use it for other reasons besides getting pregnant. Nevertheless, the hormonal imbalance and emotional toll is not worth it! I pray after all of this I can even conceive another child. I don't know this for a fact: but I feel like there's got to be some kind of extra financial gain for OBs when they insert Mirena. Do what is best for you and don't be afraid to say no, or ask every question you need to... I wish I would've. Best wishes, ladies!"

Anti-Mirena (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My Ob suggest Mirena only because it wouldn't make me gain weight. It went in on Nov 2016 and the procedure was quick and not painful. I am 29 with two kids, c section both. I bled for almost 3 months. I kept calling the nurses and they kept telling to give it more time for my body to adjust. After 6 month I kept spotting randomly, finally 8 month into it decide to take it out, come to find out my uterus was inflamed and reject it and that why I was bleeding too much. I hope there is no permanent damage to my uterus."

JayJoe87 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I used the Mirena as a contraception and as a way to control my uterine bleeding. Was an effective contraception however it did have intolerable side effects. On a positive note I was less mood swingy and weight loss. On the more negative side I felt gradually mildly depressed had a severely reduced energy. Six weeks after I had the coil inserted I began to have upper back pain, muscle tension which got increasingly worse. I was getting by by popping pain killers and attending physio, nothing helped. I finally realised I only ever had a bad back since the coil and muscle tension and bad back are listed as side effects, after 7 months I had it removed within 4 weeks my back pan had gone, I felt so relieved. Never again. I have my energy back as well."

Claire_cat July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 18 years old, I have no children, and I'm not sexually active. Ever since I was 11 I've had extensive issues with my period. After trying a number of different methods that didn't work to control the bleeding and pain, my doctor suggested mirena. I had it inserted under general anesthetic, the first few days I was crampy but the cramps were nothing compared to the accidental rip from the speculum (ouch!). I started bleeding immediately after insertion, and in 3 months it still hasn't stopped. It's gone down to a back and forth between light to medium bleeding and spotting. I can usually get by with a thick pantyliner. I've had some awful cramps while ovulating and on heavier days. Helpful with lessening blood loss, not cramps."

CrampyButBleedingLess (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I only have a review on the insertion and the 2 days after, It was so much better then I expected. Coming on here and reading all the reviews about how painful it is really made me over concerned. The insertion was a breeze I didn't feel much, I just had light cramping during the procedure. (I have had one baby 5 years ago so that might be why my pain was less then other women's) About 10 min - 2 hours after I have fairly painful cramps but nothing unlike my period. I have been spotting very lightly since. So far so good!"

LaurenBem June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm 22, have no children, and had my Mirena inserted about 3 months ago. I was first on Skyla for 3 years, then the second time around chose Mirena as it lasts longer and because of the current political climate. The insertion was very easy for me, however that may have been because I already had an IUD in the past. The insertion of my first IUD was terrible, VERY painful, but the benefits outweighed the few minutes of pain. Since having the Mirena IUD I've only had 1 period that lasted 1-2 days. I've never once had the slightest concern about being pregnant, and have experienced no side effects besides a few days of spotting after the insertion. Highly highly recommend."

Bec10_1 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been bleeding non stop before Mirena and after. I am so frustrated . I keep worrying and looking things up thinking I might have a tumor or some other deadly illness! My Dr.keeps saying to wait. I am beginning to think these doctors get a kick back on these devices ! I have started clotting now with it. My body has betrayed me. If this works for any one for bleeding I have yet to read one review saying so. Use caution when making the choice. It's like the drug company knows we are desperate for a cure to the excessive bleeding and will try any thing to get it to stop....some one is making a killing on these lame devices !!!!"

Lorrieb4nafter June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm 24 years old with 2 children. I wasn't 100% sold on getting a tubal being so young, but I'm sure I want one now. Mirena was NOT a good idea. I've gained 20 pounds in 6 months, and have acne so bad you'd think I never washed my face/neck. I have ZERO sex drive and I'm constantly tired. Not to mention a raging women. Not good for having a 6 month old and a toddler... I have an appointment to schedule a tubal, and I cannot wait to get this toxic hormone pumping piece of plastic out of my body. Let's hope I return to my normal self...."

Geen (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am 26 years old and got the Mirena IUD 6 months ago. I do not have any children. Getting the IUD inserted was the most pain I have ever experienced, it felt like my uterus was getting electrocuted!! After getting it inserted, I had severe cramps that lasted for at least 3 months along with constant bleeding and/or spotting. These cramps were significantly more painful than my normal cramps. I had to take t3's and at times couldn't even move. Since then I have also gained 20 lbs and got acne on my chin/neck/chest. I have also got random skin rashes. I was really hoping this would work out for me, but I am thinking about getting it removed if nothing changes in the next few months - I don't feel like myself anymore."

Mirandee09 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So I had a horrible experience, but it was because I was not given anything to soften my cervix the night before. Also I did not take any ibuprofen, but I was really uninformed about the procedure. I was 18 and never had a baby, so when she clamped my cervix it felt like a horrible cramp and a sharp pain. It wasn't too bad and definitely tolerable; however, my gyn could not get the Mirena into my cervix. So the clamping pain never stopped, for about 5 min she tried and I was becoming faint from the pain. We stopped, but since I know what the pain was like and how it should've only been 30 seconds of it. I am going back a year later next week, to get the Kyleena. Which is a smaller IUD, and I also will be getting something to soften cervix."

Anonymous June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Had the Skyla placed at my 6wk postpartum check up. It was slightly uncomfortable but no different than when I had my Para guard placed 8yrs before. My Dr. recommended giving Skyla a try because I have a heart shaped uterus and had experienced problems with the Para guard. The skyla is a smaller IUD. Her belief was if I really wanted to try an IUD the smaller style of device could be the ticket due to the shape of my uterus. Yes I cramped a little that day, and off and on the next day. I spotted constantly for the first 3 months. I have noticed losing weight to be difficult but who knows if its the device or some other cause. I have noticed I am more irritable and I have decreased sex drive. Anyone else experience these problems?"

questioning mommy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "It was all going well until 6 months into it a sudden burst of laughter dislodged the Mirena and it eventually perforated the uterus and ended up on the outside. After 2 lots of ultrasounds it has to be removed by laparoscopic surgery. Not a good option if you live outside the city as many appointments to get it sorted plus the expense of it all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just had Mirena inserted a few days ago. The insertion was not as painful as I had expected, mainly uncomfortable. I had it put in as a reliable contraceptive after my first baby was born. My OB told me numerous times that the mirena is recommended for women who have already had children. I have no complaints about it so far. There was some pretty bad cramping after it was first inserted for maybe 10 minutes. But that's kind of a given considering something is being placed into your cirvix hole.."

Jaaayzz (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am 27 and have never been on BC. No kids. I decided to try BC. I didn't want to try pills because I hate the "trial and error" part of it and I am terrified of acne or weight gain and also I'm just not responsible enough to take it daily. I read sooo many mixed reviews about Mirena but I figured, what the hell, let's try. I love that the hormones are IN your uterus and not in your blood stream so minimal effects on mood. Your mood swings are in your head. No appetite change, no more acne than usual. INSERTION: I was soo scared of the pain I read about. I have a LOW tolerance. I took two Advil an hour before hand and my Doctor told me when the cramps were coming. You won't cry, you won't faint. 6/10 on cramp pain, lasted 5 mins. RECOMMEND!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 35 years old mother of 2 with extremely heavy, long cycles. On the pill prior to children. Decided not to go back on the pill after because I felt mentally better without mood swings. 6 years after 2nd child I had enough of the heavy, long cycles which have given me anemia. I decided it was time to dive right in and give the Mirena a try. I have heard women who love it and those who hate it. It was worth the try to me. But try to stick it out for the first 3 months as your body needs time to adjust. I took Advil prior to procedure. I experienced absolutely NO pain. I was aware my OBGYN was in there, swab, measure and insert but that's it. I did spot afterwards for a couple of days but no complaints. I believe an OBGYN should perform the insertion"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "All I can say about this is, I'm not pregnant. I got this terrible concoction put in less than 6 months ago. The insertion was excruciating. I cramped for days. My menstrual cramps are different, worse than ever. I never had periods before, Which was great. But now I get them monthly. I want it out due to pain, mostly."

Jenrenken (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got Mirena because I had abnormal cells found in my uterus. I had always been regular as clockwork and beginning March I started bleeding heavy enough to fill the overnight extra long/absorbent incontinence pads! Did that for month of March and April pending Dr. appt. Mirena supposed to get rid of "bad" abnormal cells with progestin hormone only. Between biopsy and insertion of IUD (no kids) most painful experience ever! Have had light pink and brown discharge since insertion but had sex for first time with my husband in 5 months due to all this and now I'm cramping, bleeding again at slower rate - filling a light pantyliner, but when going to restroom pee to red water and blood when wiping. Feel like I'm starting over."

Unsure about me (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena on November 16th, 2017 and just got it removed today (June 8th, 2017). The insertion was extremely painful. In November when I first got it I weighed in at 116 lbs at 5'3, after 6 months I weighed in today at 131.4 lbs. This was without a doubt a result of the Mirena. In addition, I experienced horrible cramps for 3 weeks every month, my digestion was off all of the time, worsening acne, water retention, increased appetite, extreme bloating, a rash/hives all over my chest, lowered sex drive, sex was very painful and would restart my period, the skin on my nipples started to peel and I could feel it poking inside of me 24/7. I hated it, I won't recommend this to anyone."

Megannnn26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had 2 mirenas in the past, one before my first child, one after, and have just had my 3rd inserted today, 6 weeks after my second child. It has worked very well for me, completely takes my period away after the first couple spotty months. I do not experience any significant side effects, and was happy to switch to this from being on the pill for 15 years. I have depression and it has not worsened my symptoms, and actually has improved my sex drive. The first one my husband couldn't feel at all, the second one poked him a few times depending on position but we both agreed the benefits far outweighed the negatives for both of us - no period, no moods swings, no cysts on my ovaries, better libido, all of which were a problem on the pill"

Morganica (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2017