User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control

Reviews for Skyla

csteuwer June 15, 2021

“Insertion of Skyla was painful so I took day off work. I drove myself. Insertion compared to EXTREME contraction lasted about 10 minutes. 4 months in I stopped having a periods. I haven't had a period for almost a year. Which is problematic after doing some research because you can develop a hormone belly or ill symptoms because your body never has the ability to expel the extra hormones. I'm extra bloated and have the WORST pain of my life with cramps that can be all day for an entire week. I've gained about 15lbs. I'm always puffy feeling and bloated. Especially around my uterus/lower belly. You can see the change in my face. Go all day without eating and still lots of bloat. I'm very tired all the time no energy no motivation. Full of anxiety. I believe deeply that this IUD is making me sick. For that reason my partner and I have looked into more permanent options and I will be getting off synthetic hormones all together. Synthetic hormones literally break my body down and make me sick.”

Malay24 June 8, 2021

For Birth Control: “Im typing this in TEARS! I developed endometriosis after this birth control. When this BC was placed I started having cramps like contractions. The pain was so bad I would vomit. I kept going to the doctor and they would tell me it was normal. I DEMANDED they do an ultrasound and they did and found a cyst on my left ovary they needed to remove. This was nearly 2 years ago and I still feel pain on that side... unusual pain, not the dull pain or the sharp pain but its very unusual. I even had a miscarriage. I didn’t want this but at the time I was living with my mom I ended up having to be on it. Idk whats going on in my body because I haven’t been to the doctor... doctors don't help! They make everything worse. I’ve been trying to take pills to get rid of the extra estrogen in my body. I still suffer from cramps but they’re not as bad as they were. I just want to be normal again. Don't get this if you care about your reproductive . I’m 24 with no kids and suffering!”

Kay · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 10, 2021

For Birth Control: “I had Skyla 2.5 years. The insertion pain was quick and about a 4/10 but then cramps lasted for about a week or two after. It wasn't bad just uncomfortable. I didn't have a period while on it. I was on birth control 4 years before and got Skyla at age 20. Instantly I felt relief from birth control symptoms I didn't even know I was having!!!!! My mind was more clear, my energy was increased, my libido increased, and sex felt even better. Unfortunately, I had NEVER in my life had a pimple and suddenly my face was covered in acne with absolutely nothing able to fix it. I got on Spironolactone which didn't help the acne but anyone looking to lose weight I 100% suggest taking it. Anyways, after trying everything to get rid of the acne I finally decided to get it taken out. It's been a while and I still haven't been able to get my acne back in check. I wish I had never gotten it but if it wasn't for the acne I would have loved it.”

Kmdance · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got my Skyla placed yesterday. I read every single review I could and worked myself up so much that I was shaking and crying when my OBGYN came in. I wanted to share my positive experience. Let me say, it is not the worst pain I’ve ever had (I am 30 and do not have kids) It felt like an average period cramp at best when she did the first thing in and again when she placed the IUD. I was SO relieved afterwards. I took Motrin the morning of and an hour before the procedure. I was on day two of my period which I think helped tremendously. My doctor prescribed cytotec but, upon research of my own, cytotec is not shown to assist any more than just being on your period... plus it causes more pain during and after. If you’re thinking about getting one, try not to panic. I’m usually low pain tolerance and had no issues with the insertion. Afterward, I had some mild cramping which was relieved by a heating pad and ibuprofen. Just remember that everyone’s experience is different. :)”

skye · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2020

For Birth Control: “Hello my ladies! well is my story very strange! I got my Skyla October of 2019 and have had no bad side effects from it, only good ones... until my period was late last week. Help, turns out I’m 6 weeks pregnant today. My husband and I are extremely fertile as we did get pregnant last year from BC pills! Well, here’s to my second baby❤️”

Gemma · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2020

For Birth Control: “I am VERY pleasantly surprised at my Skyla IUD experience. I'm a small woman (5' 100 lbs) & previously partially expelled a Paragard IUD due to the small size of my uterus. I always wanted to avoid ANY sort of hormonal BC out of fear of side effects. When the Paragard was taken out, I decided to take a chance on Skyla (smallest IUD size, lowest hormone dosage). My next form of BC was going to be FAM, that's how much I wanted to avoid hormones. Well, after insertion (which felt awful, but that's not surprising), I've been GREAT. I felt virtually no cramps post-insertion. I've had zero hair loss, acne, or mood swings whatsoever (and trust me, I've been paying close attention.) My first period post-Skyla was normal but with ~2 weeks of light brown spotting afterwards. I'm guessing this will diminish with time, since the uterine lining will continue to thin. A recent ultrasound confirmed everything looks great. If things stay the way they are, I'd happily get another Skyla in 3 years. Yay!”

Kia January 25, 2021

For Birth Control: “I suffer from endometriosis, ovarian cysts heavy cramps/ periods for about the past 8 years. The Skyla IUD the first year for me made me have brown discharge, BV and yeast infections. The string felt like hard sharp plastic, and it did in fact cut my partner during intercourse!! I had horrible acne and weight gain. The second year as my body still adjusted my periods did become lighter, the strings were still very much like a fishing line, and my ovarian cyst pain was bad. Third year, it started to no longer agree with my body, and all symptoms returned. I had to get it removed three months before its expiration date. I am so glad I had it removed. Heres another interesting thing, Skyla is a bright pink color when inserted and when it comes out, mine was white... So now have i absorbed harmful dyes into my body? Why make it a pretty color? ... I think more research needs to be done on IUD's. More power to you and the women it works for. As for myself- NEVER AGAIN!”

Claire · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

For Birth Control: “Best decision I’ve ever made! Please don’t let the horror stories scare you from trying the Sklya IUD. I let the negative reviews get into my head, and it caused me to put off getting my IUD for two years. Finally 5 months ago, I got the Skyla inserted. The insertion didn’t hurt at all! Just a slight cramp that lasted maybe 5 seconds. I went home and used a heating pad, but never cramped. My first period was light, right off the bat. I still get monthly periods. However, they are so light I can get away with just wearing a pantie liner. I love the freedom my IUD gives me. Not having to take a pill everyday is wonderful. It’s sooo much better than I pill. I was in the rare percent of women, who lost a lot hair while using the pill (tri nessa) the IUD never caused any hair loss, or weight gain. The first month I got a few more zits than normal. But now my skin is clear again. It’s worth a try, and remember you can always remove it.”

chiu · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 21, 2021

For Birth Control: “I had it in for a year and a half, I gained 50 lbs and even when I tried to lose weight, I could only lose 5 lbs from a month of working out. I also had prolonged and heavier menstruations. I was told it would regulate after a few months but that never happened and I even started getting cramps and back aches which I never had before the IUD. I took it out March 4th 2021 and I have lose 7 lbs already! This was a nightmare of an IUD and I will definitely never get an IUD again.”

T T · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 19, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got pregnant after 7 months of use - while it was still in, no other medications. My pregnancy was very complicated in the beginning due to having an IUD in my uterus and the baby at the same time. They have to remove the IUD hope to not interrupt the pregnancy. 50/50 change of miscarriage. It was very traumatic and stressful.”

Meeeeeeee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “At first it was fine on Skyla but then I began having acne (to be expected, but it was bad) and it worsened my anxiety. I ended up with high blood pressure (no history of this) and chronic high anxiety. My doctors thought the IUD couldn't cause these symptoms but once it was removed by anxiety lessened and my BP returned to normal. Can't tell me it's not related! It worked great for birth control but I ended up getting it removed because I could not stand the side effects. I'm sure some people do fine with it, but this is my personal experience. Would NOT do it again.”

bluerose88 · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 18, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had the Skyla in for 6 years: I replaced it once after 3 years. After reading all the horrible reviews of IUDs, I hesitated getting one for a full year. I eventually took the plunge, out of fear of becoming pregnant. Insertion was uncomfortable, but bearable. The majority of the time, I forgot I had the thing in. No cramps, no bleeding, no acne, no weight gain--zero side effects. I know my experience is in the minority, but I wanted to leave this review so others could see that not every person has issues with IUD. My experience was overwhelmingly positive.”

Miss Manderson May 22, 2020

For Birth Control: “First of all, the insertion procedure with Skyla was excruciating for me. I had severe cramping, worse than anything I've ever experienced, and they help me for observation for almost an hour because I was extremely lightheaded. I had 1 week of severe cramping and was bedridden. An ultrasound confirmed that the IUD was correctly positioned. I've had mild-moderate cramping and spotting almost everyday since then, no sex drive, and gained 15 pounds in 3.5 months despite dieting and working out 6X/ wk (P90X). I am only 5'3" so 15lbs is a lot on my frame. Dieting has not helped. My blood pressure has gone up, I'm bloated all the time, and have developed some facial hair. I have decided to have the IUD removed, because I'd rather be pregnant than feel like this all the time.”

RNgirl January 15, 2020

For Birth Control: “WARNING! If your body hasn’t responded well to hormonal birth control in the past, think twice about having the Skyla inserted. I had tried the pill in the past and it made me feel crazy. My gynecologist assured me that the Skyla IUD only released a very small amount of hormones locally into the uterus and wouldn’t manifest any systemic side effects. After having it placed in March 2018, I had my first panic attack in October. I became overly weepy and by the end of my time on it (I finally had it removed yesterday) I was sobbing every day for no reason, experiencing super dark thoughts, and I would lay in bed at night having panic attacks focused on my heart and breathing, chest pain, and shooting cramps. I stopped getting my period altogether. My sex drive was completely gone. Sex was painful and unenjoyable. I found myself almost completely unable to become aroused. My blood pressure skyrocketed, doctors prescribed me antidepressants and anxiety medications. Just had it removed.”

Cha · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had nothing be issues with this Skyla IUD. The insertion was fine and wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle. But the cramps and heavy bleeding I got the whole time was crazy. I couldn’t even go to work without being in pain. My periods were worse then being on nothing. I have had Skyla for 7 months and just found out yesterday that I got pregnant while on it. It is a complete nightmare. I would not recommend this IUD to anyone”

Positive experience so far! February 16, 2020

For Birth Control: “Had Skyla inserted 3 months ago. Side effects: first 2 months I had the annoying spotting every day. After that I started to finally have clear days in a row. Had periods lighter but longer than usual (7-11-12d), but they should shorten now. Some PMS, nothing serious (breast soreness, mild to moderate cramps). Haven’t had any other side effects! Sex: My partner didn’t feel the strings, so I’m relieved. I didn’t have any pain during or after, no bleeding (I was scared that an “accident” might happen). Sex drive is just as high as usual. But I spotted the day after. Gym: I do CrossFit and I was scared I might get cramps or it might move, but so far so good (just minor cramping after gym in the first month). Sometimes I spot over the next hours after gym due to increased blood flow. I’m trying to be patient with all this “shedding”. Bio: 32 yrs., NP, first form of BC. I read and watched all reviews until I drove myself crazy, but decided I will give it a try! Best luck, ladies!”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have had my Skyla IUD placed about a month and a half ago... with that being said I want to warn you guys. The insertion wasn’t bad for me it was just like a bad period cramp. I just want to warn everyone about the symptoms that I wasn’t told about that I have experienced I have been loosing my hair, very bad mood swings, bad back pain, and so so much more.”

BH · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 30, 2021

For Birth Control: “I would not recommend Skyla. I had it in for less than a year and I kept getting reoccurring yeast infections which I never had before. In addition, I believe it has led to my recent miscarriage. My doctor couldn’t understand why I had so much scar tissue and was never pregnant prior to my miscarriage, which we attribute to this. I believe Skyla made my lining thin which it says it does. Consequently, it thus created a lot of scar tissue on the my lining and it was never able to get thick, which is needed for a healthy pregnancy, because of the scarring it caused. As a result, I miscarried and have now had three hysteroscopy surgeries to remove excess scar tissue which couldn’t be from an early miscarriage. So one DNC and three surgeries later my husband and I are still trying to get pregnant. So if you plan on becoming pregnant in the future I urge women not to take this as it could greatly impact your chances like it has mine.”

Lislis · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

For Birth Control: “Just wanted to address something, for those who say don’t listen to the negative comments. Everyone’s body will react different to the IUD’s do not dismiss these reviews; because they are being used for guidance for women, who are not sure how they will react to it especially if they’re bodies are more sensitive to hormones.”

Yes008 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2021

For Birth Control: “Someone else mentioned this and it’s what pushed me to share my experience using SKYLA IUD. I had my son 2019. Got the SKYLA implanted right away after giving birth. It’s been great at preventing pregnancies. My partner and I don’t use any protection (condoms) and til today I’m not pregnant. NOW, the cons..... ladies. My periods last 12 days. Lately, I get two periods within a month. Randomly spotting in between periods + cramps. Depression and anxiety never been a thing for me prior to my baby and the IUD, but when I am on my period everything just comes over me. My moods are 10x worse. Like someone else here said, there was this strong odor after period I’d get and every time my partner and I would have sex. This is really bad if we are in the mood every time and it just sucks. I might get it removed but now I have no idea what other birth control to try - Skyla has been everything I’ve ever used”

Britt · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2021

For Birth Control: “Began Skyla at end of July 2020. Two and half months of a regular period; bleeding EVERY day, some days light, some days extremely heavy. Cramps often brought tears to my eyes and I couldn't move from the fetal position on the couch. They were the worst cramps and close to the worst pain in general I have experienced in my life. After two and a half months, the bleeding subsided a little to bleeding every OTHER day. I'm now on month 5. I have a period once a month now, for about 3 days; very light. I have gained about 10 lbs. If you can manage the possibility that you have this experience that a lot of us do from Skyla, get it. It has served its purpose so far, but I have to wonder if there was an easier and painless alternative. Do I recommend this? No way.”

Kldstyle12 September 25, 2018

For Birth Control: “HORRIBLE. The only thing that was great was It didn’t get my pregnant. I’m thankfully getting it out tomorrow. I’m PRAYING and HOPING that my mood, depression, anxiousness, and sadness goes away after it is removed. IUD’s work different for everyone. However I have never ever experienced something like this. Has anyone else had major issues like this?!”

t_adams15 December 14, 2015

For Birth Control: “I got my Skyla IUD 5 months ago. I am 18 and have never had a child. I liked the idea of the IUD because I didn't have to remember to take it, it was there for three years, it was the most effective, and because there was an option to have an IUD without hormones. I struggle with depression and anxiety and I was afraid that hormonal birth control would only make matters worse. However, because of all of the terrible period stories I had heard about it, at the last minute I had my OBGYN switch to Skyla. The insertion did not take long at all and amid horror stories, the pain wasn't unbearable. It didn't feel great, but it was well worth it. If the fear of insertion is what drives you away from this option, don't let that happen! Before my IUD my periods were like clockwork, every four weeks, five days, no cramps- perfect. Afterward, I still don't get cramps, some periods have been really light, but I have had a period that was over a week late and one that was two weeks long. This is to be expected in the first few months. I do not believe that it has had any influence on my depression/anxiety, at least not monumental. I haven't gained weight, lost my sex drive or any other negative symptoms. My partner has finished inside of me multiple times and nothing has happened. Also, he cannot feel the strings. I would highly recommend this form of birth control, I understand every body is different, but if you're spending hours reading horror stories like I was, don't let that stop you.”

ACE · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 17, 2018

For Birth Control: “I’ve had Skyla inserted for a year now and for the last couple months I’ve debated getting it taken out. I love how convenient and effective it is but I feel like it’s slowly making me crazy. I already suffer with depression but the mood swings I’ve had with Skyla are insane. I haven’t had any issues with spotting...or cramps. I barely have a period at this point. My skin isn’t terrible but I already have super oily skin and this definitely hasn’t made it any better. But mood swings and the depression is definitely a major con and I’d rather have my sanity back than leave it in. Anyone else suffer with crazy mood swings?”

thistlesandthorns · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2014

For Birth Control: “I had my Skyla IUD inserted 04 Sep 2014 so I am only commenting on my first month after having it inserted. I am a 33 year old woman, no children, and hormonal birth control was no longer agreeing with my body (mood swings, heavy bleeding, large clots, periods lasting 2 weeks, etc.) My doctor and I agreed to the Skyla IUD (I had already done research.) So far so good. I haven't had any mood or sex drive changes and feel 100% better than I did on oral contraceptives. Out of pocket, my IUD would have cost $1400. My insurance covered 100% of it. Update: Month #4 and still no issues. No side effects. I keep track of everything so I know what to expect and when until my body fully adjusts.”

Cristi · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2021

For Birth Control: “I started using Skyla 4 years ago after I took out my nexplanon (which really didn't agree with me) and it’s been the best birth control for my body. Everyone’s body reacts different but this is a good option for women who haven’t had children. Insertion is painful but Tylenol before and after help, I don’t notice any symptoms other than really short periods and mild cramps. No acne or mood swings. Def recommend.”

Erinrich98 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2020

For Birth Control: “I really wanted to like the skyla, but I had a horrible experience. Getting an iud was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made. My best friend loves her skyla, has no side effects, and got another placed after 3 years, so take my comments with a grain of salt. First, insertion was the worst pain I’ve ever felt (and I’ve fractured my back in 2 places..) I threw up immediately after. Second, this gave me cystic acne. I had panic attacks before leaving my house because I was so disgusted with my face. Third, I had ovarian cysts and severe cramps. The kind of cramps that make you black out upon standing up and throw up. Fourth, I could hardly stand to have sex. If my boyfriend hit the iud, the pain was paralyzing. One pro is its efficacy. Knowing that I was virtually protected from pregnancy was empowering. It did not inherently decrease my libido, but the fear of pain and low self-esteem due to my skin made me too anxious to have sex. I did not gain weight.”

Amanda March 12, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’m 27 w/ 0 pregnancies & always had a normal period cycle & light flow yet I have the worst period cramps. I got my IUD placed 06/20 by a specialty gynecologist (I have a tilted cervix/uterus). It took 2 drs 2.5 hours to place the IUD after numerous numbing shots, it was absolutely excruciating. I was bedridden for 3 weeks with the worst cramps all day everyday. I spotted every day for the first 3 months. My period started to lighten drastically & I only have 1-2 “real period days” per month now. My partner can’t feel the strings nor have I had any pregnancy scares. Ever since getting Skyla, my cramps feel sharper but less intense. My nausea has increased a ton. My sex drive is all over the place, as are my moods. I feel the best way to put it is I’m always PMS-ing. Always! It has increased my IBS symptoms as well. I have been heavily debating having it removed as I don’t feel like my personal experience & symptoms outweighs the fact that I barely have any periods.”