User Reviews for Skyla

7.1

1,300 reviews 314 medications
Summary of Skyla reviews 7.1 1,300 reviews

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla for 2 Yrs and 1st I was VERY PAINFUL. The Dr. told me it wasn't painful but I nearly passed out on the table while getting it inserted. I survived that pain and the next year I had NO ISSUES. I went to my OB for my yearly check up and to our surprise the birth control couldn't be found . My Dr then used a camera and saw that it had wrapped around my cervix which was a reason why my legs went numb and I would have weird pains in my side, and as well I had start having blackout spells. I had been to a cardiologist thinking it was a heart issue and he could never find anything. OB discovered the IUD was wrapped around my cervix and I had to have it surgically cut out. I was no longer having numbness to the legs, heart paps and black out spells stopped and my body feels normal again. My Dr said that since Its smaller than all other IUDs it wouldn't migrate and It doesn't hurt during insertion but fact of the matter is she was wrong. I would make this my LAST CHOICE !"

Amelia October 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Skyla and it’s great. I was so scared because so many reviews said it was the most painful experience, but it wasn’t that bad, and I haven’t had any kids. I think the worst part was literally right after they were done putting it in and my body didn’t know what was in it, but after a couple hours I felt like nothing happened. I hardly have a period."

Melissa October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the skyla IUD inserted 6-7 weeks after my cesarean. I previously had the Mirena and the paraguard. Let me tell you! The skyla is supposed to be smaller but it was the worst pain I've ever experience in my life, keep in mind that I've had the other IUD inserted which hurt but nothing like this one. I was in tears the whole time! I was sweating and for the fact I had jumped up when my cervix was being measured they had to remeasure again and the process took longer. Almost 8 1/2 months later my periods last 2 weeks every month. I gained 6 pounds right after the insertion and I workout like crazy. If I can go back on the paraguard I would but since I got pregnant 2 x in a 8 month period after 5 years of being on it I can't. Goodluck!"

Anonymous October 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had the skyla for about a year and 8 months now. Everyone I spoke to who had an IUD said that the insertion was the most painful experience of their lives, so I was terrified going into my appointment. Fortunately, I didn’t find it to be terribly painful at all, and I haven’t had any kids. The cramps afterwards were pretty bad but stopped by the end of the night. It’s a very convenient form of birth control and I don’t regret getting it, but it took about 6 months for my body to adjust. I experienced ridiculous mood swings during the adjustment, as well as intermittent cramps and irregular periods (my cycle was pretty regular before getting the skyla). I spotted every day for the first month as well, very lightly though. Once I adjusted, however, I found my emotional PMS symptoms actually improved. Now I get pretty much regular, very light periods. Overall effective and convenient and I’m happy with it now...but the adjustment was truly terrible for me I must say."

R (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 19, & 115 lbs. Got Skyla in February 2018, was super painful getting put in but pain lasted only about 30 minutes. Everything was great for the first 4 months no period cycle just slight spotting, no pain... starting in June I began noticing my (almost always perfect) skin start to develop very large bumps. It was cystic acne. It snowballed from there my skin only got worse. My face was producing an abnormal amount of oil and the acne never seemed to let up. I tried many differenent acne solutions and changed my diet to more clean eating but nothing seemed to help. I just ignored it and thought maybe college is causing stress breakouts & it eventually will go away. I was wrong. In August I started experiencing severe cramping in my lower stomach. It came about every 5-10 minutes and was nearly everyday until I decided to get Skyla take out which was on Oct. 5. The cramps immediately stopped. My acne is still bad considering it’s only been a couple of days."

Paige October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Just got it yesterday, didn't feel a thing and didn't even feel cramps. It doesn't even feel like it's there. Walked out the office like nothing happened. But my doctor is great also. Everyone's experience will be different. Looking to see what the next 3 years would be like now. Good luck everyone!"

Ann (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla put in and a week later it had to be removed due to PID. I’ve never had vaginal issues (BV, yeast, STD) or anything before this was inserted. Day of insertion I had terrible cramps and nausea that did not let up. By day two I had no appetite, cried about everything (I’m a very happy positive person) and felt so uncomfortable in my own skin. My belly was bloated to the point where I looked pregnant. Day four I check my strings and my vagina is so swollen and sore I can barely get a finger in. Call OB next day and she says it’s probably an infection and to go to urgent care. Urgent care couldn't find the strings and sent me to ER. ER did an ultra sound and found that it was further up in my uterus than it should have been but they managed to get it out without too many issues. I’m now being treated for PID. Doc isn’t sure what caused it since I was tested for infections before insertion."

Max October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I decided to get Skyla almost 5 months ago. The insertion was painful but nothing like what the reviews and stories online made it out to be. It was overall not a bad experience. I cramped pretty bad the day after but that was it. I have been spotting & cramping frequently and randomly since getting it but it is now starting to slow down. My acne just started flaring up this month though. Going to give it a couple more months to see if the spotting and acne become less of a problem. Overall I am happy about it though."

H (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had my skyla for about a month I have the worst uterus pains non stop spotting but I was already having issues with my bleeding so the bleeding is not a big concern it's the headaches and uterus pain that is the worst. Also lately I noticed I get agitated so quick but the headache and uterus pain might be one of the major keys to that makes me get this out."

Bee (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I LOVE it had it for about 6 years now, so yes once my third year was up I got a second one. I had the Mirena birth control first had a lot of pains with that one until my doctor recommended the skyla hardly get my period and myself haven't notice weight gain all though I do take care of myself, so get the skyla!!!!"

Anonymous September 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I absolutely loved it! The insertion was painful but that was expected. Immediately following the insertion was bad cramping but I took some Advil which helped. It was so worth it though seeing as it lasts 3 years! Before Skyla, my periods were extremely heavy and I always experienced horrible cramping. But literally after a couple months with the IUD I only spot when I’m on my period and I have no cramps at all. My mood swings were pretty bad the first couple of months of Skyla but they eventually went away after while. And not to mention this birth control is definitely effective!!! I’m not trying another IUD that lasts 5 years:)"

Danny (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I normally don’t review products online but I found that there isn’t a lot of information on this product and it is not very well known outside the US ( I’m in Australia ) . The insertion was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced ( worse than broken bones and dislocated joints ) it lasted for about a week then I was fine for about 6 -10 months . I experience severe cramping and my periods were almost non existent ( doctor re assured me that I will continue to have normal periods ). After a year of having this IUD I developed severe anxiety that wouldn’t go away with anything !! Before this I never experienced a panic attack in my life . After 2 days I had it removed I started to feel somewhat normal again . I’m not here to bash this product simply to share my experience . It did it’s job and I didn’t get pregnant but it is not for everyone. Please get informed before you make any decisions."

Bcruiz (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2018

For Birth Control "HORRIBLE. The only thing that was great was It didn’t get my pregnant. I’m thankfully getting it out tomorrow. I’m PRAYING and HOPING that my mood, depression, anxiousness, and sadness goes away after it is removed. IUD’s work different for everyone. However I have never ever experienced something like this. Has anyone else had major issues like this?!"

Kldstyle12 September 25, 2018

Kldstyle12 September 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Skyla has been great. I tried many oral contraceptives and had a lot of side effects from all of them ( low sex drive, vaginal dryness, hair loss, weight gain, acne ). Skyla has given me no side effects and my sex drive is back to normal. Every woman is different and hormones will react differently for everyone but this has been a great option for me!"

Sue D (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla for 2 years now and I absolutely love it! Although the initial insertion was painful, for me it's been totally worth it! The first 2 months were spotty and somewhat crampy, but then my body adjusted to it and has had no bad symptoms at all! My body expelled two Copper IUDs before, and Skyla was a last ditch effort to use an IUD and boy, am I happy it works for me! Not looking forward to getting it replaced, but in a year when I need a new one I will be choosing Skyla again!"

HappySklyaUser (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2018

For Birth Control "So I have had an interesting experience so far. I had skyla placed about 7-8 months ago. I use birth control for obvious reasons, however also for heavy long periods. Skyla caused lots of spotting for me. Periods have gotten lighter, however spotting did not ease up. Going in again in a month to look into other options because I bleed more days out of the month than not. wouldn’t be my first choice in birth control."

Shelby (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I have used Skyla since April of 2018 . The insertion process was not as bad as I had read from other blogs. Just felt like a bad cramp and it was quickly done. I got it during my cycle and bled for a few weeks after that. I had mild cramps for the week after insertion. I haven’t had major side effects - just dry skin for most of the past for which I have found a good moisturizer. I have gained 4 lbs since insertion. Overall this has been a good journey and I love my Skyla"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had my Skyla for almost the three years now and I am absolutely replacing it in just a couple months. Insertion was actually a miserable process for me personally-took 3 appointments (your cervix has to measure a certain size and that's the painful part...measuring). However, before the 3rd appointment, I was given a cervix dilator and that made the 3rd attempt take all of 5 minutes. I advise some ibuprofen/tylenol beforehand because you might have some cramping afterward. I've never had miserable periods anyway so I can't say it affected it too much other than they are a bit lighter now. Also, cost can be an issue because its not cheap; I was very fortunate to be in nursing school at the time so it was completely free..but it is a long term solution if it works for you. Finding birth control is tricky and I was fortunate to find the perfect one for my body on the first try"

Mick (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Got Sklya inserted on 7/27/18. Wow, that was painful. I have a pretty high tolerance to pain AND I was prescribed something to soften my cervix, but it still hurt like anything! The pain lasted until 5 seconds after it was inserted and I was fine. Minor cramping and spotting. I have been spotting off and on since but I expected that. Sometimes I get contraction like cramps but nothing a little Ibuprofen can't fix. So far I like it a lot. I forget I have it most of the time. My bf felt it the first time we were intimate after insertion but hasn't since. Overall I think Skyla is and will be a good fit for me! We will see in the next few months!"

JV (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Birth Control "It’s been almost a month since insertion— super uncomfortable feeling, but took no more than 5 mins to do. First week and a half I had no spotting or bleeding, but now I’m wearing a pad or sometimes a light tampon as my doctor predicted I would. Cramps were never an issue as I took pain meds the first 48 hours after the procedure. No side effects, wondering how it’ll affect my attempts at weight loss."

GG September 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I had been using an oral birth control for about 9 years and decided to switch to skyla because I had been forgetting to take the pill. A couple weeks in I started experiencing significant hair thinning and hormonal breakouts on my otherwise clear skin. Needless to say, the experience has been pretty awful so I scheduled an appointment to get it removed next week."

Kay (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been using the IUD for almost 9 months now I’m 24 years old I got it inserted 01/2018. My c oworker has the Mirena and said the insertion was not bad at all, although I read up on it and people said it was very painful... I went in for my appointment expecting for the worse and it was the worse pain I felt , I ended up flinching and asking to stop but my doctor said “almost done “ and has soon as she was finished I immediately felt light headed and nauseated. I had a few tears lol I did cramp for a few days and spotted for a few weeks to a month. Fast forward to late August I’ve noticed when I’m ovulating I get sharp cramps to the point it literally feels like a contraction and I have to hold onto something/ hold my breath. My periods are regular and before I had it they were irregular and lasted 7 days moderate bleeding. Now I would say about 5 days maybe and light- moderate. I will say the IUD is convenient but I’m contemplating if the cramping is worth it..."

N/a (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had Skyla for 3 years. It has been amazing. My periods stopped almost completely except for one or two days of spotting that occurred maybe two times a year. I recently had it replaced. Yes it hurts like the worst thing but if you have an experienced gyno, it should only take 5 mins or less. It’s very bad concentrated pain but that only lasts during insertion for me. I cramp for a day following and then it stops and no more periods or pregnancy. I highly recommend but all women react to it in different ways. My experience has been amazing though."

Sue (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had Skyla for 18 months now. Getting Skyla inserted was very uncomfortable but the procedure lasted less than 10 minutes. Skyla was recommended because I have never been pregnant. I went back to work right after the appointment. I had moderate cramping for the first week which gradually lessened and went away. Initially my partner reported being able to feel the stings poking him but that also went away after about a month. My periods have stopped completely. In the past I have used the pills and Depo for several years and Skyla is the best birth control I have been on."

Sky (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...