User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 636 reviews 280 medications

7.3
Summary of Skyla reviews 636 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "Only posting to provide a positive experience with skyla. I'm 24 and had skyla inserted about 8 months ago. Insertion was definitely uncomfortable/painful (I was NOT on my period and they say that helps) but it was very quick and you'll get through it. I drove myself home and had the WORST cramps I've ever experienced just for a day or so. Heating pads and midol were my best friends. I spotted a little bit right after it was inserted and that was it! No more spotting, and then 2 weeks later I got my period like normal. I NEVER went through the weeks and months of spotting like some other girls did. My period has been like clockwork the past 8 months, and are light and last about 4 days, with little to no cramping at all. never been happier!"

HappyIUDuser (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my IUD put in 2 days ago. It hurt more than I thought it would, like being stabbed twice with the measuring and insertion but was over before I knew it. I wasn't told to take any painkillers beforehand but wish I had. I couldn't help but cry as I felt cramping and felt the T seem to open up inside my uterus. An abortion hurt less than this. I haven't been able to do all that much in 2 days. I can feel it in there & it doesn't feel right, inflaming the uterus so nothing attaches. Woke up today with my belly swollen, 1.5 in. bigger than before & had diarrhea for 2 days. Got online & read about more side effects. Fiancé felt bad for me and we are discussing him getting a vasectomy now since this doesn't feel right. Removing it asap."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had my skyla inserted for about 2 months already. It is very affective when it comes to preventing pregnancy. When I first got it inserted it was a bit painful, I was bleeding for 2 weeks straight and the cramps were horrible ! When I start my period I don't stop bleeding for 2-3 weeks (very light bleeding) and then my period comes back in less than a week. Overall skyla is very affective and I don't regret getting it inserted."

Jasminee July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "The insertion isn't at all painful, it's just minorly uncomfortable. It itched a bit after for the rest of the day, however, that went away after a day. Otherwise, I've haven't had any of the side effects people have mentioned. You just have to be aware of what your body is doing. If it's uncomfortable, you should go to your doctor."

Astoria L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my Skyla IUD placed yesterday at about noon. I am 18. 5/7 and 105lbs. The insertion for me was SOO painful! I cried my eyes out:( The opening of my uturus was so small that it took 4 tries inorder for the Skyla to fit. Luckily it did but the cramping and gas afterwards was bad.. Pain relievers and a heating pad and tums helped for a while but this morning they are back. So far I have had no bleeding hopefully all this pain will be worth it."

Teeara July 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had skyla for 3 days and I'm experiencing some pain in my right leg and discomfort in my pelvic area I don't know if this is normal. This is my first time trying Skyla"

Ellie2194 July 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Update 3: So I've had Skyla for about 3-4 months now and I HATE IT!! After about the first month I loved it! But now I am having bad cystic acne, I've gained 12 pounds since being on it, and bad itchy bacteria infections "down there". I want to get this out so bad!!!"

18 no kids (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 31 years old, no children ever and recently got the skyla. Prior to getting skyla inserted, I came on here to read the reviews and wish I didn't because it definitely scared me, but thankfully, my obgyn was great and explained everything to me. Not to mention, she numbed me prior to inserting the skyla and informed me when I would feel the most amount of pressure which helped A LOT! There was some mild cramps during the first month but since the month has passed, I've been feeling great - no nausea and no weight gain. There's some mild cramping, which I never had before but no periods. So for me, it's working out great and realized only your body can tell you if it's good or not- and not by others experience."

Christy83 July 19, 2016

For Birth Control "so, I just got out of getting my skyla placed about an hour ago. I'm 18, 5'0, and 93 lbs if that gives you a better image. I read reviews online saying it was the worst pain and it hurts forever but honestly... It wasn't that bad! I cramped for maybe 30 seconds while inserting some tools but it was bad. It took about 8 minutes for the whole procedure and about 6 seconds for the actual placement. I'm up and going with only small cramps so if you have any doubts I say go for it."

Teen1997 July 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla for 9 months now. (26 no kids). I have a mixed opinion of it. Insertion was uncomfortable but not painful. Cramps were bad for 30 min/1hour. I menstrated regularly for about 2 months then stopped pretty much altogether (I spot here and there). One major change for me was a huge decrease in libido for the first 4 to 5 months. Fortunately it has since gone back to normal. Even though I do not menstrate I do often still get the cramps during that time and they can be rough. I do not plan to be on it the full 3 years but it does what I need it to do for now."

Bnic2567 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 23, no children, and very petite. I was on the birth control patch before the Skyla and enjoyed it but wanted something more long term. Going into the appointment I was anxious but my doctor was very gentle. To be honest, yes it hurt but was over quickly. I had a great experience and think it's great for people who are looking for more protection and less hassle"

Dee47994 July 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 22 years old and I got the skyla 2 months after I had my baby 1/28/2016. It is now 7/17/2016 and I'm starting finger dissatisfied. So for the first 4 months I was literally bleeding everyday. And it wasnt just light bleeding it was excessive bleeding. I had to wear 2 big overnight pads and a ultra tampon. And I was changing it alost every 2-3 hours. I never knew when my period was in because I was bleeding everyday. So the beginning of June I stopped bleeding for 2 weeks but I started back 6/18/2016 and I've been bleeding since then. I often get the big clots of blood. I brought it to my doctors attention and she said because of so much blood loss my iron is low. I now have to take iron pills. I will be getting it removed."

Shawnee113 July 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my skyla put in in September of 2015. As many of you I had cramping after it was in but mine went away after a DAT or two. Since then I haven't had problems. My period has gotten lighter as the months pass. I still get my period but I'll get it for about 1.5-2 weeks with only 1 heavy day and then all the other days are light. But the bonus is I won't get my period for 2 months after that. I don't get cramping nearly as much anymore maybe once or twice in a few months. Every once in a while I feel like I can feel,it inside me which is weird but it only last for a minute. I will be getting the skyla again once this one needs to be replaced! I love it!"

Caitlin S (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 22, no kids and I got skyla inserted 5 days ago. They told me to come in while I was on my period. My doctor made me feel very comfortable during the process. It wasn't painful, but it was slight discomfort and I felt a little light headed like I was about to pass out. I think it was from whatever he put in my cervix to numb it. I went home fine but later that night I had the worst cramps, I thought I was going to die. But after that night I was fine until 3 days later I got more bad cramps I couldn't even go to work. But it went away shortly. It's been past 7 days of being on my period and I'm still bleeding but it's light . i didn't rate a 10 because I have to see how this go for another couple months"

Domo.p July 17, 2016

For Birth Control "When it was put in I had major cramping right after and it lasted for a few hours. I had spotting off and on for a week then it stopped. I had a period a few weeks later then it all started going downhill. I was constantly in pain, spotting all the time, and never felt good. So 3 months in I decided to have it removed. My doctor argued with me telling me that I hadn't let my body adjust long enough and she told me she could prescribe me something for the discomfort. I continued to tell her that something wasn't right and I wanted it out. She then went to take it out and immediately said she knew why I was experiencing so much discomfort; my body was rejecting it and it was already half way out. So my only advise is know your own body."

Kswizzle July 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the skyla for about 8 months now and I highly recommend it. At first it was unconftorable and I spotted for 3 months. But so worth it. I would rather be safe than sorry."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I did what everyone else did and read all the negative comments. I just got mine put in last week and as most women say... Yes it is painful. The doctor even said it was going to be painful. I felt probably the worst cramp I've ever felt in my life for about two minutes and breathing very heavy as if I were going into labor. It's very quick and then pretty bad cramping for the next 30 minutes to an hour. I was able to drive home just fine and the next day there were still cramps but definitely not as bad as it was the previous day. Yes it's painful, but very quick! In 6 weeks I go back to get an ultrasound to make sure that it's still in there properly. I would say it's definitely worth getting it done because it's good for three years!"

Ktraz (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I just got the Skyla today. So far I'vE had horrible cramps, but I guess that's just my body getting used to something different....the procedure was okay the dr told me everything he was doing. I felt ALOT of pressure. When I jumped the Dr told me it waS him touching a nerve. That hurt like a anything. Especially when he was measuring me. Never felt pain like that in my life. He told me to not use tampons or have sex after the first 7 days.. he said if I do have sex he can't guarantee I wouldn't get pregnant. Didn't go into detail about the tampon tho...wonder why?"

Anonymous July 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I have written on here twice before in the beginning of when I first got it inserted. If I could go back and not do it, I would. I've had the Skyla for 6 MONTHS now and I am miserable. I have severe cystic acne EVERYWHERE (even tho I never have), crazy bad cramps, insane mood swings, and weight gain. I'm 23, no kids, nothing. I've tried the pill and I hoped this would work but I am getting it out. Don't do it, your relationships and health aren't worth it and it's a painful process."

Tcm722 July 15, 2016

For Birth Control "My time with skyla has been an absolute breeze. Ms. Skyla and i have been together since late october 2015 and it has been great. I must admit that the insertion is a bit painful,but you will soon forget. I got cramps for about a weekafter insertion. Nothing that a littlw ibuprofen couldnt tackle. I urge anyone who is thinking about skyla to just do it. I promise it is worth it. Please remember that pain is subjective. Meaning it just depends on the person. "

Skyladiva July 14, 2016

For Birth Control "Had Skyla inserted a year ago when I was 18 and remember the pain being awful . Bled for about 5 weeks after and still get a 5-7 day period every month with terrible cramps for a week before my period comes . In the past 6-7 months I've bled and had bad cramps after having sex . Don't recommend this as it seems there's many complications ."

Anonymous July 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 18, and not sexually active. My mom recommended it just in case I was to need it, and I got the Skyla inserted today. After reading all the reviews on here I was scared to death. I went in and they did a normal pelvic exam, and then started. The insertion was NOT as bad as all of the comments. There was a lot of pressure, and 1 small pinch, from the clamp they use to keep your cervix open. The only painful part for me was trying to open the cervix. They had to take several tries to get up there. The pain is like a severe period cramp. That's all. It wasn't the worst pain ever for me, very bearable! It's been about 6 hours since the insertion and I have no cramps, and a small amount of sporting. It wasn't bad at all!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

For Birth Control "Just had this inserted after using the depo shot for two years. I read the reviews beforehand and was prepared for cramping and possible dizziness. The procedure took only a minute or two and my doctor explained what she was doing throughout. The contraction/cramps during the procedure were pretty bad for me- never had anything like that before- but they were over quick. I thought I was okay, but then I got dizzy and my blood pressure dropped really low; I had to stay at the office for a bit. Drove home 2 hours later. Felt a little 'off' the rest of the day, had cramps, and some spotting. Also felt 'off' the following day. Two days after the procedure, I felt back to normal. I've had occasional cramping since the procedure, but no spotting."

OrangeTiger July 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 23. I have had the Skyla now for the 2nd time.Every birth control is different for everyone, but my experience was amazing. Yes the first 6 weeks you cramp like a regular period and the getting it put in sucks. All in all though its not going to end your life like some people are posting that they pasted out. Thats probably from overwhelming yourself. I would recommend this birth control to anyone that doesnt want to take the pill everyday, has bad periods, mood swings, bad ache, and doesnt want to have childern. It stays local so you dont have the crazy hormone change like the pill and the arm insert give you since it has to go through your whole body. The skyla is right there ready to fight!"

Jesaica (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I had my IUD put in in the beginning of March 2016. It hurt, but it wasn't THAT bad. I would say 7 on a 10 scale and it was over in less than a minute. I was really freaking out over nothing. I had high hopes because cramping that day was minimal. However, I spotted for 2 full months, almost 3. I cramped horribly for about 6 weeks; but it wasn't continuous. It was a lot of random ouch ouch ouch! cramps and then it would be over just like that. I cramped and bled after exercise and sex for the first 6 weeks. Doing SO much better now! No cramping ever, periods are lighter. PMS seems bad though (mood swings, irritability, appetite increase). Glad I did it."

Beeninenine July 10, 2016