User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 1116 reviews 300 medications

7.3
Summary of Skyla reviews 1116 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I got Skyla inserted two years ago. I still had periods on Skyla but they were much heavier and I had awful cramps. Skyla also caused me to have terrible acne. It wasn’t until recently that I started to have more issues. My periods began lasting more than a week and a half and were only two weeks apart. I’ve been suffering from headaches daily, no energy, dizziness, and nausea. I just don’t feel like myself. I called my doctor and he seemed to think removing Skyla would solve the problems. I went this morning to have it removed (which is pain-free!!!) so hopefully things will get better!"

Kristenh90 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "The only warning my gyno gave me was that I would be spotting for about 15 days after having the IUD inserted, which was a damn lie. I spotted for a whole four weeks after the procedure. My uterus chilled for two weeks before I started spotting again. I then became frustrated because this irregular spotting was now interfering with my sex life. Panty liners, something I never sought to buy, will become your most prized possession. During the first 3! months, your period will be irregular. Mine became lighter but the duration lasted longer. I went from a 5-day cycle to a 10- 13-day cycle."

Niec3y Part1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Skyla was the first form of birth control medication I have experienced. The insertion was extremely painful and since the IUD was inserted I have been in debilitating pain. The type of cramps I have received since the IUD was inserted are the type of cramps that hindered me with walking and even speaking. I was told to give the IUD a try for at least a month and it was horrible. I have had to wear tampons every day because I have had brown bloody discharge for 30 days straight. I’m getting this IUD removed this week, and I cannot wait to have a pain free life again. Oh, and I started my period today and the pain is even worse, although I’m not gushing blood, the pain is preventing me from having a normal life."

Alexmarieduffy (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "For me, the insertion pain was a 9/10. It's similar to a mild contraction. I've had it in for over four weeks now. In those four weeks, I've had a constant, heavy period, cramps, migraines, bloating, moodiness, worsened acne, and overall tiredness. I'm not saying I didn't have acne or was never tired before, but the last four weeks have made me not want to leave the house. I have to take ibuprofen every 4 hours to relieve the cramps. Everyone's body reacts differently, but at this point, I may get it removed. It's really affected my day to day life."

A1234567890 October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I’ve tried birth control pills twice before, and each time I gained approx. 10 lbs and had mood swings, SO I decided to try an IUD. The insertion was pretty uncomfortable, and for the rest of the day I had bad cramps, but besides the first day it has been painless. I’ve had it for almost 7 months and I still get periods (lasting about a week) but they’re much lighter. I do have to wear panty liners more (especially during the first couple months you will spot a lot). The only negative side effects I have experienced have been slight moodiness/random sadness, and my eyes have developed a sensitivity to contacts, which just might be my body’s reaction to any birth control. But overall, I think it’s a great option!"

Rach1234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm 24 and just had Skyla inserted yesterday afternoon. This is my first birth control ever so I went in with absolutely no idea of what to expect pain-wise. I had been told I would feel some cramping during the procedure so I expected some pressure. It ended up being more painful than I thought. I would rate the pain a 7/10. I should add I was on the 4th day of my period. I didn't take anything before but did take two Ibuprofel tablets as soon as I got home. It helped a lot but this morning at work (8am), I was miserable. I couldn't even move. I ended up taking Ibuprofen again and it made work tolerable. Still cramping now (7pm). Hoping it gets better. *heating pads help*"

CMR24 October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "OK so it has been exactly 2 weeks and 2 days since I had the Skyla put in. I have read multiple reviews before going with this procedure and wish I would have read more. You definitely want to take at least a day off of work. After I had it done I was ok for about 2 hours then it just got worse. Your body really needs to relax afterwards, Think of it, you are having a device/drug put into your uterus for 3 to 6 years permanently?! Any ways I figured after a couple days cramping would stop. I had it put in on my last day of my period FYI. On the 5th day (I'm traveling for a wedding so I'm on a plane) I started cramping so bad"

I would rather get pregnant October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I posted when I first got skyla (almost 6 months ago April 27,2017) and wanted to share my experience. I spotted for a little over 3 months which wasn't fun since it was summer. Usually wore just a panty liner. My periods definitely are a lot longer close to 10-11 days but lighter than they used to be. My bf can feel the strings in certain positions but says it just feels like scratching. (He can suck it up since I'm the one who has it inside them). Other than that I've had a positive experience. I've been on the pill twice and gained significant weight both times. Haven't gained weight or had acne appear since getting skyla."

Sammiek5008 October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So its been about a month and a half now since I had gotten my IUD inserted. Now the pain for the insertion was about a 5 out of 10. I have never been pregnant and certainly don't intend to. So I was debating whether or not to do this for almost a year. I knew all the side effects and I went along with it. Probably the best decision I have made. I don't have to take a pill anymore. I was reading some reviews and it scared me on the pain tolerance but everyone is different! Anyways I've had mine in for about a month and a half I am spotting but so far I lOVE IT!!! DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED"

Jay veasy October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is just about the insertion because I feel it's my duty to quell the fears of other women out there after I let myself go way overboard in reading horror stories online and freaking myself out... I was prepared for the worst pain of my life based on what everyone was saying, and I can't believe how completely fine it was. Seriously, I would describe it as discomfort. I squeezed the nurse's hand really hard for a second and then it was over. Barely had any cramping afterwards. I know this isn't true for everyone, but it is probably way more likely that you will have an experience like mine, so don't freak out, please! It's a non-issue, don't waste energy getting stressed over this like I stupidly did."

Jordynjulie September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got my IUD inserted about two hours ago. I'm not going to lie, the insertion hurts. It isn't unbearable but it does really hurt. This was the first time I have ever even received an pelvic exam, which probably made it worse. The aftermath of the cramps can be handled with a heating pad and some advil. Reviews can be scary- but you gotta look at it this way. A couple days of pain is worth not having to worry about it for next three years. Don't let negative reviews steer you away from it. The aftermath is painful but can be controlled."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just got my Skyla IUD put in an hour ago, so my review will be on insertion. I'm 23, never had children, and have been struggling to find an birth control option that works for me. Like most of you reading this, I was scared of IUD insertion due to the horror stories I've read in reviews. Honestly I felt a light flutter of a cramp and it was done. No pain at all. Then again, I have REALLY heavy periods and deal with terrible cramps all the time, so for me it was nothing. My doctor also numbed my cervix with some aerosol stuff, called Hurricane? That may have helped. I also took 500mg of Naproxen 30 minutes before the procedure, and was taking deep calm breaths the whole time. I feel great right now, no complaints!"

Pdxgirl2017 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had 2 children so the insertion could be described as a mild contraction feeling. Got through it. Take pain mess before and after insertion and plan to take a few days off. Bad cramps and spotting for about 6 weeks but then I've not even had a period now and it's been almost 6 months. So happy with it and acne a bit more but no horrible side effects and it's been wonderful to know I'm not going to get pregnant unplanned again. Takes the worry away and no periods really rocks!"

Kira d (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "It’s a love hate relationship. Effectiveness I love it. I’m 26 no kids and I would say it does the job. Like any bc there are pros and cons. Pros my periods are super light, cramps are minimal, not pregnant, you don’t have to remember to take a pill, and it was $35 for 3 years. Cons I got super depressed the first 3 months of being on it, I never had acne until now and it’s embarrassing it’s cystic acne and I have acne scars and no acne meds help, I have my period on an off for 2 weeks out of the month, I snap a lot at my husband, hair loss the first 4 months on it, and now I have intense back pain to the point I can’t sit or stand. I love it but I’m really considering taking it out in 2 months."

Crutchb September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got my skyla today, so my opinion will be on the procedure. I am 18 and I have never had a kid before. The whole experience was extremely painful. Probably one of the worst I have ever experienced. 9/10. I have been on the depo shot for 2 years and decided to go off of it due to weight gain. With being on depo I didn't get my period and I have never had period cramps before. After the procedure I could hardly get up. I was shaking and felt like I might throw up. I looked at my face in the mirror and I was as pale as a ghost. It is 6 hours later and I am still experiencing cramps and bleeding (slightly). I just hope all that pain was worth what I have heard about Skyla. I will update you in a few months."

Ally101216 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So I was extremely nervous to get an IUD because I heard it was horrible pain to get inserted.... then at my appointment they said I was too small for Mirena and offered to do skyla which I hadn't had a chance to Google or anything so I was a little skeptical. I had psyched myself up for the appointment... so I ended up going ahead with Skyla. The pain of insertion was maybe 8 out of 10 and lasted for 10 seconds. I had horrendous cramps and bleeding the first 5 days after implantation. I recommend taking time off work and wish I had taken more than 2 days off. I had light spotting for about a month and have not had a single period or spotting since. It's been 6 months I lost 15 lbs just from switching off oral pills. I LOVE SKYLA."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I read so many horror stories about the skyla and completely scared myself stupid. Finally, yesterday I went and got it. My obgyn recommended 800 of ibuprofen before hand and even offered a torodal shot (highly recommend) I was also on the last day of my period so this made the insertion easier. The doctor informed me there would be 3 cramps pinches and we be done. The pinches were like mild period cramps to me and lasted less than 3 seconds. After it was over I cramped for 2-3 minutes and it is now almost 48 hours later and I have had no pain or cramping. I've checked for the strings and my period continued as normal and have no extra bleeding today. The little pain to me is well worth not worrying about getting pregnant the next 3 years."

Skyla birth control (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm a mother of 1 and have been on Skyla the past 6 months. Absolutely love it so far."

PhoebeC292 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just got the Skyla inserted today so my review is based purely on the insertion process. My nurse practitioner wanted to measure my uterus before deciding if it was big enough for the mirena, but after an ultrasound they saw my uterus was tilted backward and was pretty small so we chose to go with the Skyla instead. They inserted the speculum, then she did something that cause a pinch (not bad), she measured the uterus and that brought on a bad cramp but it was bearable, and then when they inserted the IUD it felt like a few strong cramps- I flinched but after that initial flinch I held it together. It hurt but it was just like having a bad period with intense cramps and after a few minutes I felt fine and drove myself home."

Mfran September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got pregnant after 6 months of using it. The IUD was removed and I had a miscarriage."

Irenedpf September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I love my Skyla! Someone recommended it to me and I am very happy with my experience. I went to the gyno to discuss the option, did not think I could get it inserted same day ( I read a lot of people get it done while on their period, I was not). It was painful, not going to sugar coat it! But I left the office, took some ibprofin and went to work. Had I known I would feel the way I did, I would have taken the day off. My acne cleared up (I assume that was caused by my BC pills). I spotted on and off for 3 months but since then I have not gotten my period at all. It is amazing!"

smc1229 September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Don't let scary reviews scare you away from protecting yourself! I was so nervous to get the Skyla because I was afraid of a painful procedure but it was not painfully unbearable like I expected, just a little uncomfortable for literally 10 seconds, Then I was done! The procedure is so fast! Plus my doctor was amazing, she explain to me what to expect and she made me feel comfortable. The "worst' part was the cramping I experienced only for the first day. Very light spotting until my second day already having it. I would do it again rather than actually give birth any time soon. Lets just pray the Hormones works best with my body!"

Kehualani12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Getting the skyla inserted was not painful at all. It was just uncomfortable and there was a lot of cramping and pressure but it was over in five minutes. After, I experienced very minor cramping and bleeding. Overall, it was a great experience and I would recommend to anyone who is considering this type of birth control!"

Lauren Lo September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got my Skyla put in today. So initially I assumed I would have a check up before I even got it put in so I haven't taken any pain medicine before. The Dr. putting some numbing stuff and then gave me a PAP. After she stuck a clamp and tried to stick the IUD In but my cervix needed to be dilated because it wouldn't go in. That pain of the dilation definitely hurt and putting the actual IUD hurt. But not like intolerable pain. It felt like the worst period cramp I've ever gotten +1 for like 30 seconds. And I usually get pretty bad period cramps so it wasn't anything new to me. (If you don't get bad period cramps it will definitely hurt) Walked out on my own and went home and took ibuprofen. I'm slightly cramping and no bleeding yet."

Kendraaahhh September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had the Skyla for six months now and love it! I always wanted an IUD because I'm terrible about remembering to take a pill, but I was worried about using an IUD with my small size (5'2 105lbs never had children). Turns out I had no reason to be worried! The procedure went really smoothly only mildly uncomfortable for like 3 minutes. I had cramps and bleeding for two days (no worse than a rough period cycle) then I was back to normal. Bonus: my periods went away a month after insertion! No more buying tampons!"

Jestone22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017