User Reviews for Skyla

7.2

1,268 reviews 313 medications
Summary of Skyla reviews 7.1 1,268 reviews

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I’ve had Skyla for about a week now, insertion was the worst pain I’ve ever felt like really bad cramps I came out crying. Through out that day I had horrific pain I couldn’t move I just laid in bed all day and even not doing anything the pelvic pain wouldn’t stop (took Tylenol 1,000) still nothing next day still random pelvic and back pain but I could go on with my day and go to work. Through out this whole week I’ve had random pelvic pain it feels like you’re bloated with cramps. I was on the Nuvaring before and had no side effects like these (just killed my sex drive which is why I changed it to this) I will be scheduling an appt to see If there’s anything wrong with it or me."

Alma (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

For Birth Control "August 2018 marks 1 year of having the Skyla IUD. I have an appointment later this month to have a check. 4 out of 7 days of the week I have pain. Sometimes it feels as if I had inserted a tampon sideways and my body is trying to push it out but it is stuck, causing stabbing pain. Other days I have pain towards my ovaries which I have a feeling might be cysts (common side effect of IUD). I frequently find myself holding my lady bits because they just hurt. I have moderate depression since insertion. Have had acne still well into my 24 year life and have not noticed any change, good or bad."

cbk94 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2018

For Birth Control "After having my daughter I've tried two other birth control methods, before trying the IUD skyla. Did the shot it was terrible, tried the pill it made it worse. I kept losing weight with both until I got on the skyla, people tell me that it hurts when they put it in. I felt a quick pinch and I was done I made a joke out of it. ( at least it was not as bad pushing a baby out of me) and they all laughed. The first 6 months I was bleeding non stop it was terrible but then it went away. I never got cramps or anything. I did gain 20 pounds , but thats about it other then them not finding my string when I got it checked out. I had get and ultrasound and they found it. But everyone is different and sorry to hear women go through that. I know because nothing else worked for me if this didn't work then I had to do the implant .. I hope this is helpful to somebody that needed it"

Birth Control good/bad (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had Skyla BC for about 8 months now. IT HAS BEEN HORRIBLE. Such a painful process to get inserted as I was 20 and had never had a pap done or had a child. Almost passed out after. I figured I would give it some time thinking that the horrible cramps (that felt like knives in my uterus) would go away, but they haven't. I have developed PMDD since being on this BC and I get extremely depressed before my period....like, its bad. Have had to switch depression meds and keep getting the dosage upped. My husband and I have had issues in our marriage cause I have had NO SEX DRIVE since getting it. Also I have never weighed this much in my life. Have put on 20 pounds since then. I can't get rid of it either. All the doctors say that none of these things are a side affect of the BC. They say my depression is just a part of my "mood" and same with the sex drive."

yaskween August 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I am SO happy with the Skyla. Hardly any side effects and no more period!"

Alex July 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Update on my skyla (inserted 3/21/17): 4 months in, I hardly have a "period"! When I do, it is very light bleeding. I have noted a slight increase in acne, but nothing horrific. Keep it clean, treated & under control! Sex is spontaneous and i never need to worry about a certain time to take my pill! Very to little cramps. I use pantiliners only or light tampons. I have maintained my "average" weight so I have no issues with weight gain. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!"

Chunkthemunk (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had Skyla inserted for a year now and for the last couple months I’ve debated getting it taken out. I love how convenient and effective it is but I feel like it’s slowly making me crazy. I already suffer with depression but the mood swings I’ve had with Skyla are insane. I haven’t had any issues with spotting...or cramps. I barely have a period at this point. My skin isn’t terrible but I already have super oily skin and this definitely hasn’t made it any better. But mood swings and the depression is definitely a major con and I’d rather have my sanity back than leave it in. Anyone else suffer with crazy mood swings?"

ACE (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2018

For Birth Control "This was a horrifying experience with birth control. The insertion was so painful that I had thrown up immediately after the procedure and cried all night until I finally fell asleep from exhaustion. From then on I began having periodic pain that felt soul crushing and debilitating once a month. Went to four different OBGYN docs and got the “your strings look fine” speech every time. Exactly 1 year later after removal I found out that one of the arms of my IUD was bent upon insertion and had been digging into my uterus ever since. Only good thing about this BC is that I never ended up pregnant."

X July 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I only had Skyla placed for about 4 months, which isn't that long to have your body adjust to the hormones. I switched to this IUD after having taken birth control pills for about a year and 3 months. I wasn't a fan of this IUD's side effects. My skin isn't perfect, but I never used to have major break outs. With skyla, I started breaking out in areas that I never used to break out in around the time of my periods. I was spotting sporadically for the first couple of months, so my skin would just continue to break out. Also, I never used to get terrible cramps, but they just went from a 2/10 to an 7/10 on the pain scale (10 being unbearable). I also experienced intense cravings around the time of my period, and vaginal dryness. Lastly, my periods went from lasting 4-5 days to lasting 11 days, but they were light periods. Because my periods were so close together, all of these side effects would just essentially continue throughout the whole four months I was on it."

Maren July 11, 2018

For Birth Control "When I first got skylar I had about a month of pretty intense cramping and then after that I would cramp each month when I ovulated and then on my period. I had a lot of break-through bleeding and spent about half of each month spotting. I also found myself having pretty severe anxiety while using skylar. It actually got to the point where I got the device out after about a year. My mood began to improve about a week after removing the device and I lost about 10 pounds in the first month after stopping use. I would not recommend this device, it was a nightmare and caused quite a bit of unnecessary pain and cramping."

Ama (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Although it's worked well for a couple of my friends I had a bad experience. I had horrible cramps. A shooting pain down my right leg and a bacterial infection. I had it checked out and all seemed okay but was told that it sometimes happened. Something I didn't anticipate was bleeding gums. Although I have never seen it listed as a side effect I didn't have a problem with my gums until using Skyla. I'd be at work and my mouth would fill with blood. It was awful. The doctor assured me that it wouldn't cause that but once I got Skyla removed it was no longer an issue. Be careful. It's not for everyone and get a good doctor. Mine pretty much laughed my problems off."

VictoriaQueen (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I tried this form of birth control as it was highly recommended by my doctor. The first month my bf complained about feeling it. Went back and had it trimmed by the doctor. The very next month I couldn’t feel it so I went back to the doctor. Turns out it turned sideways and I actually became pregnant. They had to pull it out as it prevent my cervix from fully closing."

Tlr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I love caffeine and alcohol, I never had an issue with it until I started being on skyla. Apparently the drug also increases your hypertension and cholesterol so I had to get rid of this birth control. I was having a-fib after only drinking one bottle of light beer which is 12 Oz. And whenever I ate a small piece of chocolate or drank my favorite Starbucks, I started having palpitations. Caffeine and alcohol never effected me before until now. Plus it messed with my heart and I'm only in my mid-20's. If you can't tolerate alcohol or caffeine anymore, or if your cholesterol levels got high, drop this drug immediately."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2018

For Birth Control "So I'm a little over year 2 of having my skyla inserted. I have birthed 4 boys my youngest being 3 now. I loved this IUD but in the beginning my husband would complain that he could feel something poking him which kind of killed our sex vibe. I had them trimmed by my OB and his complaints didn't happen as often. One thing that I realized which after reading some comments on the skyla is that, I don't want to say I've gained an excessive amount of weight since my last kid but I find that I'm having a hard time losing weight. I've been going to the gym almost 5x a week for 1 hour and changed my eating habits and I expected to lose a little bit of weight and I haven't. I'm really thinking about going to have it removed and just plan on getting my tubes tied. I still have my period but some months its super light and only a few days and others its normal. Has anyone found since having the Skyla that losing weight is hard?"

JeNnIe (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2018

For Birth Control "Insertion was painless and quick for me did not feel a thing but, keep in mind all woman are different because my cousin said she felt extreme cramps. The recovery was terrible for me. I had irregular bleeding for 6 months and pelvic/ cramp pain. Meanwhile my cousin had no irregular bleeding and her period stopped. After recovery my period was back to normal came on time every month and they were lighter and I notice no more cramps like I use to get with my period before the IUD. I do sometimes get mild pelvic pain and that’s because a foreign object is inside the body. It just reminds me oh yea I got an IUD haha. Sex is the same only thing different is my partner can feel the strings depending on the position. Skyla must be doing it’s job though b/c I’m not pregnant! Skyla for me was worth it after the recovery."

Brinao (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2018

For Birth Control "This IUD, sadly, didn't work out for me. I had it taken out 2 days ago. The only reason I give it a 2/10 is because it did prevent pregnancy, which was nice not to have to worry about. However, it wreaked havoc on my body in almost every other aspect. I got terrible acne, random sharp pains in my abdomen, periods that lasted up to 2 weeks, severe mood swings, gained weight, and had absolutely no sex drive. Look, don't get me wrong, I think IUDs are a birth control option worth exploring, but if you are at all sensitive to hormones in birth control like I am, I'd steer far away of this and look into the copper IUD."

Sabina711 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had my Sklya for almost 9 months. I love it. My experience with Skyla has been great. Insertion was not bad at all (24, no kids). It went very quick, was slightly crampy and then it was over. The months following were also not bad. I get a regular period, but it is VERY light, to the point where I am using panty liners or light tampons. It comes at the same time every month and lasts for 4-5 days. The reason I gave Sklya 9/10 is for a couple reasons. 1) Acne. I notice I struggle with acne more often than I ever have. 2) Cramping. Even with a light period, I still cramp way more than I ever have. Sometimes they are deep cramps that I have to pause and breathe through. Occasionally, I get cramping in between periods, but for the most part the cramping is either the week before my period or during my period. However, those two things don't keep me from loving Skyla. I love the convenience of it. I also love that I don't feel hormonal, or moody as I have on other birth controls."

Anonymous June 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Skyla wasn't for me. I will say though, you should give it a try if you are looking to switch birth control methods. I had my Skyla in for a little over two years before I decided to have it removed. The insertion process was extremely painful to the point I almost passed out. After it was inserted I experienced cramping like never before in the weeks to come. Super sharp localized pain in my uterus that I would have to lay down with ice packs and take Advil. My periods went from always being 3 days to literally 7-9 days. Cramps were unbearable for nearly 2 weeks of the month. Sex eventually started to hurt and it's like I could feel the IUD inside me. I didn't experience other symptoms such as weight gain or acne. For me, the intense cramps, long periods and painful sex finally made me decide to get rid of it. Removal process was also a bit painful and I felt so much relief once it was out."

Marcy (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla IUD inserted in late June 2017. I have mild PCOS and irregular periods. I went on Skyla because my period was lasting sometimes 14 days at a time. It was light, but it still felt too long. I chose Skyla because I wanted a low-dose hormonal birth control. I've done at least 4 or 5 different oral contraceptives in the past and Nuva Ring. I had not been on birth control for over a year before Skyla. The insertion wasn't bad. I felt nauseous because of the local anesthetic and had some cramping the first month after, but it was easily controlled with ibuprofen. I started spotting frequently and sporadically only to realize that those were my new "periods" that have lasted sometimes 23 days. I kept waiting for it to normalize but it didn't. The spotting continued. I am switching to Kyleena today, and I don't know if it will be any better than Skyla, but I hope it will. It has been a year and is showing no signs of regularity."

endless spotting June 14, 2018

For Birth Control "Don’t do it. I can’t believe I let the doctor talk me into getting Skyla; I originally went in for the copper but she talked me out of it because I’m 17 and I haven’t had any kids. It has the same hormones as the nexplanon basically: progestin. When I had the arm implant a year ago, I had it for 7 months and attempted suicide, had hair loss, and my acne returned (even after being on accutane for 6 months), and I gained 15 pounds. I took a break from birth control and switched up to Skyla and it is the dumbest decision I have ever made. It’s only been a month and I’m always crying as I can feel the depression already sneaking its way back, whenever I comb my hair or run my fingers through I get about a dozen strands coming out and my acne is, once again, horrific. If you are already on Skyla and going through this, you are not alone."

Lace (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla for 2.5 years before I finally had it taken out. The insertion/ removal were both fairly painful. After insertion, I spotted for a month & felt generally uncomfortable. The random cramping and bloated feeling never went away. Sometimes I would cramp really badly and be doubled over in pain- but this would pass in a few minutes so it wasn’t a deal breaker. I dealt with all this because I loved having a birth control that didn’t make me nauseous for once. The deal breaker was that I gained 10 pounds. I work out 5 times/week, follow a healthy diet, and no matter what I did, I kept gaining weight. My doctor denied this had anything to do with the IUD and instead blamed my getting older. Well, I listened to instinct and got it removed on Wednesday. It is now Saturday. I have lost 5 POUNDS in 3 days. I’m not saying everyone’s experience will be the same, but listen to your instincts and remember you have a continuous medicine in your body. I am SO THANKFUL I finally did."

Zou June 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Hate this IUD. Got it put in almost 3 years ago. The pain from insertion was bad but not the worst thing I have experienced. However, I now have terrible cramps every time I have my period (never had cramps before) and my periods have gotten progressively longer and longer. I'm currently on day 11 and I'm ready to rip my hair out. The only upside is that I haven't gotten pregnant, but part of that could be because for 2-3 weeks of every month I'm on my period and don't have sex."

Katara567 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 18, I was a virgin, I had acne and horrible mood swings WAY before I got the skyla IUD, I got it because of a natural hormonal imbalance. So I got the skyla and it wasn’t painful at all, no kids nothing, I didn’t bleed the first 2 weeks, I was due for my period and only spotted lightly (not even enough for a pad or tampon I would just put a little piece of toilet paper in my underwear it was that little) and that was it. So far I’ve had it for 3 and a half weeks and I’ve only “spotted” for like 2ish days, sex was fine he couldn’t feel it we did however wear protection (we’ve been together 2 years both of us were virgins and we made sure we were both tested and safe, and literally waited 2 years to have sex in case someone wants to judge). Anyway so far I love this I’ve had a tiny bit of cramping, nothing serious at all. I haven’t had it for long but so far I really like it a lot."

laurenashley (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I decided to try Skyla because I was sick of having my period and can't get pregnant. Getting pregnant could seriously could kill me with my high intracranial pressure and small veins in my brain. I have been so pleased since insertion. I have had it in for 8 months now. I had spotting at first and my Ob Dr told me to go back on the pill for 1-2 months and it helped all the spotting to go away. I have not had a single period in the 8 months I have had it in place. I am planning on keeping Skyla in place for the full 3 years. I may even opt for another one since I have no symptoms. Insertion was painless but I have had 2 children already so that is probably why."

kimmieh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Non stop bleeding with Sklya!!!! Interfering with my sex life. Random painful cramps. It gets the job done though soo I guess it's ok."

Dee May 22, 2018