User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 841 reviews 293 medications

7.2
Summary of Skyla reviews 841 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I had Skyla placed just over month ago. I read the reviews and was expecting some really bad cramps during and after insertion. The cramping during insertion was minor and after insertion I experienced cramps for a day. These cramps was comparable to a bad period. As for the bleeding some people experienced, I still have yet to bleed or have my period. My doctor told me that this is can happen and I may not experience bleeding while on Skyla. Overall, I am so far pleased that I have had minor if any side effects and would recommend this to people."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm 22 years-old and switched from the Depo to Skyla about 4 months ago. The pain was awful, I had false labor pains for about two days. Once the false labor pain stopped, I had to be rushed to the hospital due to abdominal cramping so intense that I could barely move. I was then told that the hormones being released was "irritating" the cyst on my ovaries. A few months later (last week to be exact) the same issue happened again. I went to a different hospital where they said that I developed a kidney infection. I have had a series of problems with this since it was inserted including UTI daily, massive cramping, blood in my stool (recently since the kidney infection), painful sex, and even lost interest in sex."

Torrie Lasher January 12, 2017

For Birth Control "Got the Skyla inserted today. My doctor did a sonogram and a physical measurement to be the most safe to not puncture anything (which was an extra cost, not covered by my insurance). The insertion of the IUD was about as painful as a cramp. It was like a sudden pressure on my uterus. I have yet to experience terrible cramps after the initial insertion. Not a terrible experience. I had my boyfriend hold my hand through it. So far, I rate it a 10 out of 10."

Adrienna January 11, 2017

For Birth Control "I had Skyla put in a few days ago and so far it has not been painful at all. I expected the procedure to hurt, but honestly I was just uncomfortable. I took cylotec before the procedure so that my cervix would be dilated, so I think it helped a lot. I would rate my pain level a 2 immediately after the procedure because it was not bad at all. Its been a few days and I feel nothing!! I am so happy I tried this birth control honestly the Depo shot hurt more. I am so happy with the IUD so far. I would definitely recommend."

Puerto Rican Princess (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

For Birth Control "Oh God. Had mine put in 8 months ago. It will keep you from getting pregnant, but lordy! Have had serious cramps, been physically sick, no sex drive, 20lb weight gain.. Decided to have it removed. They said that it had expelled and it had came out of the uterus prior to the visit. I'm still cramping 3 days later. I feel like I've been kicked in the uterus. Don't do it."

FeliciaLynn15 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2017

For Birth Control "I got the skyla IUD about 3 months ago and there are definitely pros and cons. the insertation was painful for maybe a minute then I had constant cramping for about a week but nothing ibuprofen and a heating pad couldn't take care of. I had spotting for about a month (until after my first period with skyla). My boyfriend and I have not have any problems with it during sex so far. For the last few weeks i have been experiencing major fluctuations with my moods. I'm not 100% sure if it's related to the iud but it's been awful with a lot of crying randomly over dumb things and going from angry to happy and vice versa in a split second, I'm hoping this will resolve and go away soon!"

Ally.Kipp16 January 11, 2017

For Birth Control "I've had the Skyla IUD for 2yrs now and it's been a fantastic experience. I will admit the insertion was very painful. I took 600mg of advil about an hour beforehand and it was still very painful (an 8.5 out of 10 pain wise). The rest of the day I had to stay home because the cramps would come in waves and were severe. After 2-3 days the pain was gone, but I did have bleeding/spotting for about 1-2 months afterward. However, I was on depo provera prior to the IUD and it caused my uterine lining to really thicken up, so there's no telling whether the bleeding was from the IUD or from the depo. Since then my periods come every 2 months or so, and only last about 3-4 days, and I've never once worried about being pregnant. Highly recommend!"

Annon123321 January 10, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm 15 and I got the Skyla IUD yesterday. I was on the Depo shot for about 2 years but my doctor recommended I find another BC, as they don't like teens on the shot more than 2 years. I decided on Skyla for multiple reasons. . I can say the procedure was the worst pain EVER and I've had brain surgery. I felt sick/dizzy for about 15 min after. I continued to have very BAD cramps for the rest of the day and up to the next morning, and could barely walk (still having small cramps 24h after) I never had periods on the shot, so maybe others used to cramps would take to it better. I had brown spotting after (doctor said this is normal). My advice: don't plan this on a day you need to go somewhere, and bring pantyliners and pain meds."

Anonymous. (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

For Birth Control "I just got mine done about 3 hours ago and I did not realize how bad it actually hurt so now the cramps are really bad, overall I'm very excited because I hated the pill, it made me depressed. I've heard some horror stories about this but I hope none of it happens to me. I suggest taking ibuprofen or something before. I cried after which is common because it was very uncomfortable. I'll come back in a week and tell how I'm feeling! Glad I'm not alone"

Stephanie S January 9, 2017

For Birth Control "I got the implant in September and the insertion was very uncomfortable, but only for a few mins. I had a little bit of spotting, but I was also on my period. I spotted for maybe a month to two months afterwards but have not had any periods since. I don't even get the cramps from when I am suppose to start. I would recommend this to any one"

katydc January 9, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm 21 years old and got the Skyla IUD put in four months ago. Worst pain I've ever felt. I don't get a period at all, but I randomly get crampy/moody. My doctor told me if wasn't supposed to affect my mood because the hormones only release throughout the uterus. I recently started researching common side effects (something I should have done before) and discovered that depression is common. I'm more depressed than I've ever been -- no appetite, often tired/lathargic, etc. Additionally I have absolutely no interest in having sex. The past four months have been really rough. I'm looking to get this thing removed. :("

super bad experience January 9, 2017

For Birth Control "Hello! I am 21 and I had my Skyla put in over 6 months ago. I took two ibuprofen before going to the doctor. The insertion was painful for about 30 seconds (really bad cramping). About an hour later I had some bleeding then some heavy cramps, but after taking Midol they went away. I bled for about 4 weeks straight and had some pretty bad cramps during that time. After that, my period became normal (only once a month for 4-5 days with light to normal bleeding). I do experience some bad cramping from time to time, mostly before my period and a few days after it stops, but after taking Midol or Aleve, it goes away. I also have a history of ovarian cysts and endometriosis but have not had any problems with that since my Skyla! I recommend this!"

CollegeGirl01 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2017

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla for 8 days now. I didn't take any painkillers, and I'd say my insertion was the most bizarre pain I've ever felt. However, I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance in general, so I was able to suck it up with only a few squeaks of discomfort. The first day, my cramps were moderately painful. The next day, I felt great. The rest of the week, I would have a cramp or two, but they were light and subsided pretty quickly. I spotted on the first day and a few other non-consecutive days thoughout the week. Nothing too terrible. I got my IUD inserted before my period was due, but since insertion, I haven't gotten it. It's 4 days late, but Skyla makes periods irregular, so I'll just have to wait to find out when it gets here!"

Jay F. January 7, 2017

For Birth Control "I've had skyla for about 2 years and it's had its ups and downs. But I don't entirely blame the contraception itself; my doctor is an idiot. Anyway, I still get my period but it's just spotting, almost like when you're period is ending. I never need a tampon because it isn't heavy enough. There are times where I will randomly feel pain under my belly button when I stretch, and my fianc"

Futureknight January 7, 2017

For Birth Control "I got Skyla around August 2016- during insertion the pain felt like really bad cramping, my eyes did water near the end (I took a good amount of Ibuprofen) and I had SEVERE cramping/shooting paints after mostly on my left side. It was so bad I went to the Dr to make sure it was done correctly/didn't move. They gave me a higher dose of medicine and I went home to my heating pad. Since then I've gone back twice because of the string - got it shortened after an incident & then again since it was still causing problems. I'm not completely period free- random spotting, seems like I have random PMS, and cramping but different than my usual cramps. Biggest issue is the string still. Not 100% comfortable with Skyla, however I could live with it."

SarCen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

For Birth Control "I received skyla 24hrs ago. I was super anxious about the pain because of how badly my experience was with the Copper IUD. I must tell you, DO NOT read dozens of reviews and allow them to implant fear into you. We are women, we are designed to withstand pain. You CAN do it! its literally 30 sec of OH CRAP, then done. Im not down playing anyone else's experience by any means. However, if you go in strong minded and you are sure its what you want, you will be fine. I do recommend taking Tylenol at least 20min before insertion( it will help). B.C pills were terrible on my mind and body, so I'm glad I chose to go back to the IUD. Remember, if you don't end up liking it, it can always be removed. You Got This!"

Love Marie January 4, 2017

For Birth Control "Had it for six months. VERY reliable. Insertation is highly uncomfortable but I sucked it up in the end bc I knew it'll be well worth it for my boyfriend and I in the end. Two long (1 1/2 weeks) HEAVY periods in the same MONTH back in August. Two months later had a short ( 3 days) super light period. My periods are now starting to regulate and so far no pregnancy scares. (Despite sex daily AND not using any other form of contraception)"

Jazzyy January 4, 2017

For Birth Control "I had skyla inserted a month ago. It was slightly painful and I spotted for an hour. If you have had a child skyla procedure is a breeze. I had my daughter 3 months ago all natural and once you experience that pain NOTHING else can hurt you. My boyfriend felt the strings for a few minutes and then no longer. My cycle lasted a week with very light cramps."

Nikki8701 December 31, 2016

For Birth Control "Just had it "uploaded" about 3 days ago and so far, I have no complaints. While the procedure wasn't super fun, it wasn't the worst pain I've ever experienced. I took 800mg of Advil about an hour before going to the appt. My CNP who did the procedure was great and really knew what she was doing. She talked me through the whole procedure and let me know when it was time to focus on my breathing because the super uncomfortable part was about to happen.The whole thing only took about 15 minutes. The only thing I've really experienced so far is slight lower back stiffness but it's nothing 400mg of Advil can't handle. I'm interested to see how it effects my period which I am due for in about a week. So far so good! I am mid 30's, no children"

LabGirl2016 December 30, 2016

For Birth Control "Fixing to get this thing out next week and I've had it for a year . I get the sharpest pain I've ever been in at least once a month and sometimes it makes me throw up . I would not recommend the Skyla AT ALL !!!!"

Brooke10291029 December 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted 6 months ago. I would describe insertion as the most uncomfortable I've ever been. It was extreme pressure in a place deep inside my body – nothing I've felt before, but also not exactly pain. It lasted maybe 20 seconds before subsiding into the feeling of menstrual cramps. Those cramps lasted 3-4 days after insertion, and I spotted for the first month. Since then, Skyla has been pretty good. The only time I notice Skyla is during my period. My bleeding is light, but WOW do I get horrible cramps. I rarely got cramps prior to using Skyla, and these feel similar to the ones I had post-insertion. However my friends have not had this issue – every body is different. Overall I do recommend Skyla!"

KathyK9 December 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted in October 2016, and so far, everything has been great! I won't lie, the insertion process was incredibly painful. I took a cervix dilator the night before yet failed to eat breakfast or take any other pain relievers the morning of so this may have contributed to the pain. Horrible cramps followed for the rest of the day, but by the next morning I was already back at work! I spotted a little bit the day of insertion and two weeks later began a period that lasted for about two weeks. In the time after the first period, I have had zero negative side effects! I have just started my second period since insertion, and it is incredibly light with no cramps! I would fully recommend Skyla to anyone considering it!"

Happy happy happy December 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Skyla for almost a year, and I got pregnant. And passed the IUD. The strings came out first. This birth control sucks. My periods were heavy, and irregular, even after the 6 month trial time... My daughter is happy and healthy though!"

CourtneyH05 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had my skyla for three years. Its soon to come out and I probably will never get it again. My periods are STILL so so irregular. Some times I don't get my period for months and then I'll get my period for 15 days or longer with days in-between I don't bleed at all. I never know when its finished or when its coming."

Anonymous December 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 23 and have never had kids. I was on the DEPO shot for about 6 years and just got on the Skyla in August 2016. The insertion process was painful and extremely uncomfortable. I almost passed out and I usually have a high pain tolerance. I thought I was okay to drive home but the whole time I was hurling over my steering wheel in pain. I was in bed with medicine and a heating pad the rest of the day and honestly two days after. I'm on month 4 almost 5 now and I've had TERRIBLE cramps but no periods. They are basically contraction like pains. I get them almost everyday. I don't know if I should get the Skyla removed or not. These cramps are unbearable. Only a heating pad and laying down helps."

Molly M December 24, 2016