User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 979 reviews 299 medications

7.2
Summary of Skyla reviews 979 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "Getting Skyla inserted was a breeze. From the moment she started insertion to the moment she was done was probably around 90 seconds, with 30 seconds of that having any sort of pain. If you've ever had bad period cramps, you know what it'll feel like. There's about 3 very intense, but bearable, cramps that feel just like a bad period cramp. As long as you breathe through them and stay relaxed, they are no biggie. After she was done I sat up slowly and felt 100% fine. I drove 2 hours back to school with no issue. For the first 48 hours I have VERY mild cramping that easily went away with Advil and some spotting. Its been a week and I feel great. I am experiencing a small breakout, but that could also be due to stress and eating like crap."

gorilla8 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Effectiveness.. well I was the 1% of the population to get pregnant from the IUD. I ended up in the ER because of moderate to severe abdominal pain, bloating, and bleeding. I had weird symptoms and I didn't think it was time for my period so I called my gyno and she said I was probably fine but just take a pregnancy test (I was concerned my IUD shifted). The pregnancy test was positive so we knew something was very wrong so ended up in ER with an ectopic pregnancy and a huge ovarian cyst. I had emergency surgery to remove my Fallopian tube. I had the IUD for 5 months and it was not a pleasant experience, I had cramping that was severe even months after I got it put in, to the point I was hurled over. But it may have been the cyst growing."

Pg on the iud April 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla inserted exactly 2 weeks ago, I'm not going to lie the insertion was painful, but not unbearable. The procedure itself lasted no more than 5 minutes. I took 4 Advil and ate breakfast as directed. As soon as my doctor was done I did experience cramps but nothing like I was expecting. It just felt like I was having period cramps. However I did alternate medicine every 2 hours with Advil and Tylenol after the procedure that entire day. I have not had ANY spotting at all.. although I continue to experience "period cramps" almost everyday now. I will say it is 100% percent worth it.. not having to worry about pregnancy."

Anonymous April 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had Skyla put in about 2 weeks ago so this is more about the insertion as my body's still adjusting. I did the ultimate "do not do" and read all the online experiences and horrific outcomes the night before my appointment. I was so anxious I almost cancelled as I'm not good with pain. I took 500mg ibuprofen an hour before and ate breakfast as instructed. My doctor didn't use numbing cream or anything. Having the Skyla put in was no walk in the park, its way less painful than kidney stones and gallbladder attacks I've had. Do recommend taking the day off work since the cramping, while not unbearable, was pretty intense. Spotted for 2-3 days after and am just now stopping random cramps. So far I'm extremely happy with it"

Kater1010 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Like many others, I spent time reading A LOT of reviews because I was so scared of the pain during insertion. The actual insertion felt like a really quick, sharp jab (enough to make me say "ow" out loud but not unbearable.) It wasn't until right after insertion that I started having severe cramps. I had to lay there while she removed my Nexplanon (I was switching from Nexplanon to Skyla.) And afterwards, it took me awhile to even get up. The severe cramps lasted about an hour for me, and then were just mild for a few more hours. It's now been a few days and no cramps, no bleeding!! I truly believe it is worth it."

halessleigh April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "So I went to get mine today and from what I've seen everyone has said that the worst part is the insertion. I will admit, the insertion is painful and it made me break into a sweat within seconds and it was very uncomfortable. But the insertion lasted not even a minute. The worst part to me is the CRAMPS AFTERWARDS. It's been over six hours and I even took before I went two ibuprofen and then afterwards I took two Advil. None of the above helped! I still am feeling absolute pain and discomfort and very groggy. I hope that my experience is not like others and that this goes away after the first 48 hours. If not, I don't know if this will be worth it and I'll have to go back on the pill."

Loganalyse12 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am a 22 yr old virgin, so I've never experienced child birth and don't want to anytime soon. I just got the Skyla iud inserted today at about 1pm and before getting it inserted I did my research to make sure it was the best and safest option for me. My overall experience with the insertion was not bad to be honest I know everyone has a different pain tolerance and honestly I'm a wimp with pain but if you remember to take ibuprophen before hand and stay calm and positive, the worst part is the part where they measure the size of your uterus to be honest it felt like a piercing pain near my stomach and I felt cramping it lasted for less than a minute and then it was done you may feel light cramping afterwards but honestly it wasn't bad"

Emilylaurenb April 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla inserted on Friday the 14th. I took 2 ibuprofen before hand and in my opinion that didn't help! Insertion hurt pretty bad I broke out into a sweat fast. Pain was not unbearable and it only lasted a couple minutes. I had some cramps that night but not too bad. All in all everything went good a few minutes of pain is worth the 3 years piece of mind. I have not had any spotting but I have also been on birth control pills for almost 10 years so I don't really get a period anyway."

Irapax April 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "After being on the pill for 8 months, the side effects were too much for me to handle, so I gave up on all birth control and went back to just using condoms. After a recent condom scare, I started looking into other forms of BC, and my doctor recommended skyla, as I have never given birth before. The insertion is definitely an uncomfortable and painful experience, but the initial pain itself only lasts for maybe 2 minutes. The night afterwards I had terrible cramps, and my heating pad was my best friend. I have now had it in for a month, and I will say that I absolutely love it. VERY light spotting a fews days, and a few cramps here and there, but nothing I couldn't handle. My period is almost nonexistant now too! Definitely suggest it!"

Teengirl123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted in early January. The insertion was bothersome. I had Paragard years ago and I didn't feel anything when I had the Paragard inserted. I thought I would have the same experience with Skyla but I didn't. The insertion was a bit painful and bothersome. I had a mild cramp after I was done with the insertion but that went away within hours. I like that I stopped having periods about six weeks ago but I don't like that I'm bloated and my hands get swollen from time to time. I want to conceive again within a year so I'll schedule a removal for around November of this year."

Joyce17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I'm deciding to comment because I read so many painful reviews on here. I just got mine inserted yesterday. It was honestly not bad at all. The reason I think maybe my experience was different is because I was instructed to come in and have it inserted DURING my period. When you are menstruating, your cervix is more open so the procedure is easier and less painful. My period is almost over and honestly my cramps have been no different than any other period I've had. If you are deciding on Skyla as a birth control method, schedule your appointment during the heaviest day of your period when your cervix is nice and open. Just a tip."

SpedChica05 April 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Every persons experience is different and let me tell you reader I am super sensitive and I don't like medicine at all. It took me 3 YEARS to actually have an IUD and my original reason was anemia but I also want birth control. I took my time and visited my doc several times making sure my body was ready. I eat all organic and I exercise regularly. The day of my procedure I took 1 Advil and 1 shot whisky. Procedure lasted less than 1 min and my pain level was about a 5. I took the rest of my day lying in bed with a hot pad and bled for 2 days (spotting) 5 days after zero pain zero bleeding and sex! So glad I did it !! I'm 48 with a small frame and my procedure was 4/5/17 I'd do it again !!!"

Therese59 April 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had no preparation Never had kids It hurt so terribly and if I had known I would have demanded pain killer And tranquilizer before AND for after! Don't care if it's 3 minutes It's traumatizing and betrayal of doc Plus nausea and after affects last 2 days Plus I should not have driven I have had surgery broken bones and not a wuss- I have endometriosis so maybe it affects it- who knows- I was sweating nauseous and cramping for 48 hours I've always had a bad period - so it's a little better pain wise and not as heavy but I bled weekly till recently ( spotting whatever) All I can say - the pain was bad enough to teach u that childbirth sucks -"

Beprepared (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got Skyla exactly a week ago today. ( never had kids) I'm a very anxious person and was SO nervous/anxious for insertion. She gave me a shot in my cervix to numb it, this I did NOT feel. But after that HOLY CRAP worst pain in my life. It was so incredibly weird and cramps in an area I've NEVER felt before. I had two of these which lasted about 10 seconds each. After I sat up and was sweating and so nauseous ( stupid me didn't eat beforehand) and literally almost passed out. My ears went numb and I couldn't see, this was prob from all the anxiety I worked up. Anyways, had bad cramps the rest of the day to where I had to lay in bed all night. Woke up and felt like a brand new woman. Haven't had ANY issues since!! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

VicVac (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla since September 30, 2016. The insertion process was quick and VERY painful for me. I almost blacked out. My period came around the same time each month, normally lasts a week. Which was dreadful because without birth control I'm only on for 3 days and it's light lol. But here's why I am getting it removed next Thursday; these early labor contraction like cramps are HORRIBLE! The pain is so bad it makes me feel like I'm about to throw up. I get the cramps every month for a week before my period, and I cry (actual tears) every time. It literally puts me in ball. Heating pad and pain medicine works somewhat. Skyla did it's job at preventing pregnancy, but the side effects just aren't worth it. I stayed on as long I could."

Mia Rodriguez (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "So I got Skyla inserted today (4/7/17). I'm 24 yrs, 5'7", 120 lbs, been thin all my life, never had a child. I read so many reviews and got so scared about insertion. Day of insertion I was having major anxiety, so I took have of a Xanax bar (1mg). It helped SOOOOO much. The less tense you are for insertion the less painful it is. I would highly recommend asking your doctor for a prescription for anti anxiety medication, even if it's just one pill for the procedure. The procedure itself lasted at most 5 mins and the pain was less than a minute. It feels like a cramp but more pressure and pinch. Totally doable you will be fine! I'm hoping Skyla will help with my sex drive. Just worried about gaining weight or acne. I will update again soon."

allibeeeeee (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "So I had the Skyla placed right after having a C-Section, so I didn't actually feel any pain during the insertion as everyone else seems to be describing. I had the device placed 2 months ago and haven't had any side effects so far. My doctor checked to make sure it was still in place at my 6 weeks postpartum visit and it was. Like I said it's only been 2 months and I noticed I have spotted a couple times. So far I am extremely pleased with the device."

Ciara R (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "After the IUD was inserted I felt some mild cramping and was spotting for a couple of hours. Its only been a week and I have had bad cramps and I have been light headed almost everyday since the insertion. Besides the cramping Skyla does its job!"

Jehnay (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I just had mine put in today, I realize every experience is personal so take my review with a gain of salt. This was the absolute worst pain I have ever experienced. I passed out, and the moment I woke up, I threw up from pain. Mind you, my pain tolerance is such that I didn't even cry when I broke my pelvis. I couldn't even drive myself home from the procedure, my husband had to leave work and pick me up. When I got home I was on Advil AND tylonal, still 10/10 pain. 8 hours later I'm at about a 6/10."

Becccccccccaaaaaa April 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been off skyla for almost 6 months, and my periods are just starting to regulate again so I know this is a sign of my body starting to regulate again also from not being on this birth control anymore. I am also losing weight since gaining almost 15 lbs in the 3 months I was on skyla, and my acne is under control again and I am no longer depressed. I am birth control free and feeling 100%. This birth control did not work for me but it doesn't mean it can't work for you. Everyone is different!"

18nokids (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted back in January, and the doctor gave me Cytotec (1 the night before and the morning of procedure), she also gave me Norco to take an hour before the procedure. During the procedure she also put a bit of numbing medication onto my cervix, the whole actual insertion process probably took 30 seconds, and the overall procedure, MAYBE 5 minutes if that. It wasn't exactly a walk in the park with the pain, but it was definitely tolerable. I've had a few cramps each month, but nothing crazy and 2 periods since the insertion. So far, I absolutely love it and would recommend it to everyone! No scares and my hormones are normal! I am planning on getting it once this one expires. Don't let the reviews scare you!"

Adriana G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Before I got my IUD I researched a ton about what to expect during and after the procedure. All the reviews had me terrified of the procedure, saying it was the most pain they've ever had, that they fainted, that they were bleeding for months afterwards, etc. DO NOT listen to these. Every experience is incredibly personal and will be different for every single person! The procedure itself felt like a slightly more extreme period cramp, and then for the next few days I had mild cramps that were on and off, nothing different from a normal period. I have some spotting but it is very tolerable and manageable. Overall, this has been an extremely effective contraceptive for me."

MK123456789 April 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "The insertion for me was painful. On a scale from one to ten it was an eight and a half. My periods were pretty heavy and I kept bleeding for about 5 months straight just light bleeding and spotting until I started my period. Which got kind of irritating but I just used a panty liner. So far my boyfriend and I have loved it sometimes he feels the string but not to often. In the last three months I haven't been spotting at all which has been nice! Also I lost weight on this.. every body is different but I was stoked about that! Anyways it's a good one to get I recommend it!"

Sydssssss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the Skyla almost 2 years ago. So far, everything has gone great with the IUD. I get my period maybe every 3-4 months (light spotting for about 2 days tops). I do get cramps every month for about one entire day. It's not anything crazy or out of the ordinary (beats having periods and having kids!) I definitely recommend it. The insertion process was a bit painful and I had cramps for about 3 hours, but with some ibuprofen and a heating pad, it can sure be tolerable. I used to be on the pill and shot for a while but both of those made me really depressed and I gained a ton of weight. Which is why I switched to the IUD. Skyla releases a smaller dose of hormones so that really helps to "feel normal". good luck ladies!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am 26 years old with no children and this is my first IUD. I was previously on the pill never had any issues with that just wanted to try something different. I got skyla put in 3-23-17 so almost 2 weeks ago. The procedure took about 5 minutes wasn't bad just felt like I really hard menstrual cramp. I felt fine when I left my appointment. About 30 minutes later I experienced really painful cramps that lasted about 4 hours I took some aleve at the onset of the bad cramps. The next day I felt normal I had some light cramping and very light spotting. The cramping lasted exactly 7 days. I've not had anymore cramps since but I'm still spotting on and off very minimal which is expected. So far so good! Doing an update review 4-23-17 & 6/23/17"

Kay0217 April 3, 2017