User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 732 reviews 283 medications

7.2
Summary of Skyla reviews 732 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I have had Skyla for over a year. The insertion was not as bad as I was expecting, however, I had a child a month prior. The only complaints that I have are the terrible acne and the difficulty I have had losing weight. I have not gained any weight, however, I have had a hard time losing the weight that I wanted to (only about 10lbs). Overall, the reason that this is available is for birth control. It has been extremely effective for what it was meant for."

Jrathke September 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I want to start out by saying everyone's going to have different experiences! For example I read reviews and everyone was saying it's really painful and yadyadya but my experience was completely painless ! A little cramping but nothing out of the ordinary ! Take some pills and keep kicking ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

For Birth Control "This was the first IUD I've ever tried, no kids and wasn't planning on getting it so I didn't take any ibuprofen. I had it placed in June, cramps from insertion lasted a full 2 weeks with spotting everyday. Spotting later turned into daily bleeding and following up with OBGYN, I've now been bleeding a straight 3 months and go in next week for another ultrasound and plan on having it removed. Terrible experience hurt really bad getting it in and now I'm sure will hurt to get it removed. The strings like fishing line so I could feel them as well which was sort of annoying"

Quartwelve (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Scale of 1 to 10 for pain... 7ish. Cervix was cleaned with iodine 3 times and then they measured. That was a large cramping feeling and pinched (I have a very sensitive cervix... paps hurt me, for perspective). Insertion of Skyla - didn't notice a change in pain, just the same as the measurement. This time, I could feel my doctor moving it into place. Then it was done. I spotted a couple times this evening - been 12 hours since I got it. Just have some slight cramping which ibuprofen helped. Also found out my uterus is very small - 5cm vs the normal 7 cm. If I can do it, you can too."

DanniSaur (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Caused hair loss"

DON'T GET THIS HORRIBLE IUD - September 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I got skyla on August 23. The doctor gave me Ibuprofen about 10 mintues before. So she went in with 1 swab of numbing cream and 2 shots. It took her awhile to insert it because I wasn't dilated all the way. It didn't hurt that bad during the procedure. When the procedure was done they had me lay on my side and I was turning pale and cramping alot afterwards. I asked if I could get up and go to the restroom. So I got up and the doctor asked if I was okay. I said no I feel like I'm going to faint. Next thing I know I'm on the ground with the doctor beside me. When I came back into the room a laid down somemore until my mom got in the room. I was begging to leave that instant but they wouldn't let me go. Because the cramps were so bad I couldn't go to school for the rest of the day. It's September 22 and I've been cramping and bleeding everyday since. I've been hot all the time and I've been eating more than usual."

Veronica b16 September 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I love the Skyla! I'm 19 and have had it in almost a year and I love it. The only down side is the cramping and bloating. I hardly ever have a period, which I only had a 3 day period before the birth control. My sex drive is extremely high. Over all I love it. The cramping is just the worst part. Insertion took all of 10 minutes with my doctor explaining and talking and then inserting it. I cramped afterwards but nothing out of the norm. I'm covered for 3 years and I love it"

Michellealmand117 September 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I just got skyla yesterday. The pill was not working for me and I mentioned maybe wanting skyla. Before I knew it my gyno was in the room with the kit read to insert it. So I was not prepared so I didn't take any pain killers. My cervix is very far up so she had to clamp it to pull it down. The insertion was the worst pain I have ever felt down there. Felt like knives turning as she inserted it. After I was unclamped the pressure started to go away. I went home and took some tylonal and a nap. I woke up and went to work for 12 hours. Worst decision of my life. I recomend staying home the day you get it done.It's day 2 and cramps aren't horrible but still are there and I'm spotting. I'm to afraid to put a tampon in or try having sex"

Bobbi Jo O September 22, 2016

For Birth Control "Absolutely love skyla! I had only used pills before, never had any terrible side effects from those, but I wasn't happy with them, so I decided to switch. My experience with getting it inserted was pretty much just heavy-period like cramps that day and randomly for the next 2 week (I have never had children too and did not find the insertion painful, just crampy). My period was longer (but lighter) for the first 6 months, but now I just spot for a couple of days every other month, which is fantastic. I also love the freedom of not having to remember to do anything for my birth control! The only down side for me is that it only lasts 3 years."

Annie88275 September 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the skyla implant about a month ago. It hurt to have it inserted and I had cramps for the rest of the day, but then I was golden! No more cramps! My sexual partners can't feel a thing and weirdly enough.... My sex drive is OUT OF CONTROL! I feel like it has really increased my sex drive. Never experienced that before. My period was a little lighter and I have not had any weight gain as of yet."

Hola_Maudie September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 20 years old and have tried multiple birth control methods (pills, Nuvaring, and Depo shot). I have always had heavy bleeding and intense cramps during my menstrual cycle. After talking with my OBGYN, we decided on Skyla. I was so nervous after reading reviews, but I followed through with my appointment. My Dr. advised me to take 800mg of Ibuprofen 30 minutes before my appointment, and I did. Insertion was not fun and hurt more than anything I've ever felt, however, it was over quickly. Cramping lasted for about 1 minute after insertion but stopped. I drove myself home and don't feel too awful as of one hour after insertion. As of now, 30 seconds of pain was worth it for 3 years of protection!"

kdavis26 September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "When reading reviews on the skyla I got very nervous and doubted if I wanted to get it. The next day I told my doctor my concerns but still ended up getting it... because of course I was reading up on it on google. The insertion was just a lot of pressure. The actual skyla did not hurt it was opening of the uterus and etc. I would definitely recommend it. The first day you do have cramping but nothing tylenol cannot fix."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm writing my experience due to the fact when I was researching skyla I couldn't find very many reviews....my experience wasn't horrible yet wasn't the best I decided to get skyla in Oct of 2014 it was newly out I decided on it rather then mirena since skyla was lower dosed and smaller I haven't had any kids initially the insertion did hurt but wouldn't say excruciating Dr wrote for a valium before hand so that helped I'm sure after insertion felt fine went to work didn't have any crazy cramps or bleeding all was good up until about 4 months in I started getting crazy cystic acne on my face and back never had acne before and started getting really bad sharp pains here and there so I waited skyla out for about 7 months then had it removed"

Meggy22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 18, and I've had it for about a week now. The insertion was fine -- they had to do it without the cervix dilation medication, however, because they forgot to tell me to get it, and as a result i think it was a little more painful than usual. I took deep breaths and it was over in 5 seconds after some pretty intense contractions. After laying down for 20 minutes, I was fine to walk around. I highly reccommend just taking the day off. Cramps got pretty bad and i slept all day when i got home. Since then, I haven't noted any physical or emotional side effects aside from the constant light bleeding. There are occasional cramps, but they never last for longer than five minutes and occur maybe 3 times a day, so yeah, that's totally manageable"

amayalon September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had skyla for about 5 months now and I have to say I don't love it. The insertion process was not as bad as I thought, despite the crazy reviews. Once I got it however I had pretty intense cramps, lower back pain, & other period symptoms for at least a month. I am used to very painful cramps and I can usually handle them but it was honestly a nightmare. My immediate reaction to this was to get it removed but I thought I was being a bit rash and I would just leave it in and give it a fair shot. As time went on the cramps did subside and my body felt better but still not back to normal. I also noticed I was beginning to break out a lot and I've had clear skin my entire life. Not only was I breaking out but it was also painful to have sex"

Rebecca255555 September 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Skyla placed in May. I have gained about 20lbs since then, which sucks. I'm not good with birth control pills so I guess I'm stuck with the weight gain."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Hi everyone! I had Skyla put in at the end of May this year & I am very happy with the results. The insertion process was painful, but seriously only for 3 seconds. Very quick & I was able to drive right after. I felt some cramping that day but it was nothing a little Tylenol couldn't fix. I would highly recommend this type of birth control to everyone, now that I have had it for a little while I can't believe that I was taking regular birth control pills for years before. I can just get up and go now! Don't let the bad reviews scare you, because Skyla is so worth it! You should expect some cramping while your body becomes accustomed to it, remember the uterus is a flat cavity so there's gonna be some getting used too. Give it a chance!"

Katelyn F. September 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I got Skyla placed early Aug. The insertion hurt pretty bad. I jumped & wanted to cry. 3 days later, I was still extremely crampy, nasueous & dizzy. I figured I just needed to get used to it due to the fact that I have endometriosis so it may just be more uncomfortable for me at first. But then, about 2 or so weeks later, I got extremely severe sharp cramps 2 days before I started my period. The day before I started my period, I was fine. I started & it was pretty bad cramps, but bearable. Then about a week and a half into my period, (I usually last no more than 6-7 days.) I started getting severe cramps again, only 5x worse. For 3 days I couldn't do anything and I'm currently still on it. (Aug 30th-Sept 15th) I got it removed yesterday."

Fal September 16, 2016

For Birth Control "So it'should been about a year since I've had my Skyla inserted. I did have some major cramps the day of insertion,but since then A BREEZE!!! I did not have to have any adjustmentsuggestions since the intial insertion. No complications that I am aware. My period last have been predictable, regular, and even shorter (dare I say). Loving it!!! Also, since it was consider preventative medication it for was FREE ...thank you PRESIDENT OBAMA!!"

Tifa Valentine 7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2016

For Birth Control "First off I want to say that the insertion of the birth-control wasn't bad. There was severe cramping about an hour after it was inserted for the first time. The thing that I hate most about the birth control is I cramp all the time even when I'm not on my The thing that I hate most about the birth control is I cramp all the time even when I'm not on my period , I have it a period All the time sometimes it's heavy sometimes a spotting. The absolute worst thing about this birth-control with the Moodswings I can't control . I have severe Moodswings sometimes I cry for days depression I now have low self-esteem and get angry very quick . This birth-control completely changed who I am ."

MoodYWoman September 14, 2016

For Birth Control "This was absolutely horrible. Terrible acne, abdominal swellings, and feeling very isolated and depressed. Kept it for 6 weeks. My doctor wanted me to keep it for another 6 weeks but I couldn't take it anymore. After removal I felt almost immediate relief and mentally much better."

NotaFan September 14, 2016

For Birth Control "Got Skyla about a year and a half ago. Insertion was probably the worst pain in my life. I have no kids so they had me take pills to dialate my cervix. After insertion I cried hysterically for 15 minutes and threw up once. I then had a period for about 6 weeks. Then my gyno said they put it in there crooked and they couldn't feel the strings. I get spotting once a month. My cramps are insane to the point that I've schduled to get Skyla removed. Litterally get them randomly all the time and it's unbearable. I have also gotten a cervix infection and a cyst on my left ovarie. Before I had no history of cystS or health problems related to my downstairs before. I'm getting mine removed, not everyone reacts the same though."

Regretfully Yours (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 26 and have had 2 kids via c-section. My youngest child is 2 and I have never been on birth control before. I got the Skyla put in about an hour ago. It took all of 5 minutes. Before my appointment, I read all these bad reviews and freaked myself out. The insertion was a little uncomfortable, especially since my c-sections caused my cervix to sit really high so the doctor had to grab it and pull it down. Got it put in during menstruation, as it makes it more comfortable for you. Sharp period-like pain, I said "Oh my goodness" and the doctor said "That was the IUD going in". The end. Don't let the bad reviews scare you. No extra bleeding or cramping, and I feel fine."

missmandy4290 (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 17 and I got the skyla put in almost a month ago. Insertion didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. But I have been in A LOT of pain since then and I have been none stop bleeding. Since insertion I'm asleep constantly but I'm not sure if the skyla has anything to do with it"

A6 September 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 22 years old and I got the skyla inserted on Aug12th. The insertion part didn;t hurt at ALL!! I had bleeding a day or 2 and then nothing still cramped but not bad. My boyfriend and I tried to have sex at day 3 but he was getting stabbed pretty hard. We kept trying on from there and he was still getting stabbed, I told my doctors but all they said was just wait the string probably haven't softened so we tried once a week sadly still nothing. We were finally able to have sex beginning of Sept. Then I started bleeding after. I went to get my IUD checked out because I could feel it and the docs Couldn't find it. Had ultrasound it was fine. Now we are still unable to have sex again.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016