User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 1081 reviews 299 medications

7.2
Summary of Skyla reviews 1081 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I have had the skyla in for over 3 months now and getting it taken out in a few days. Ever since getting it put in, I've gotten very sick. At first I thought I had Lyme disease (achey joints, vertigo, dizziness, severe fatigue, inability to lose weight, headaches, cramping) but now realize all these symptoms started after I got it put in. The fatigue, joint pain, and general weakness are what I am suffering from the most and I pray to God my symptoms get better once it's out. I didn't think such a low hormone dose could affect me as much as it has, but I've already gained 20 lbs and ready to get my life back."

Mf1988 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla for almost 3 months now. The first month was bad with pain and cramping, constipation, and diarrhea alternating, and constant nausea and fatigue. The second month my period barely showed up but I was stuck with all the cramping and spotting randomly. My sleeping has gotten much worse. I've been on ambien and lunesta and doxepin, nothing really keeps me asleep. I find that when anything goes wrong I slip into a prolonged depressive state that includes me being on the verge of tears all day every day. The cystic acne comes at all times of the month. I'm getting this thing taken out. Not worth it."

marmstro (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had the skyla insterted last May. It was great my cycles we only about 4 days no heavy bleeding, light cramps. The insert wasn't bad just cramps. After a year and 2 months I got pregnant.. my OBGYN was in disbelief so was I. Of course it was a Ectopic pregnancy. The IUD was removed ASAP. My OBGYN gave me 2 shots to stop the pregnancy from growing. I made 5 visits after and during to have my HCG level checked."

BCwwwwwww August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm going to college in a week and thought Skyla would be easier than keeping up with the pills. I got it inserted yesterday, about a month before my period so my cervix wasn't open AT ALL. I'm not going to lie it was the worst pain I've ever felt. Even the 30 minutes after it when I felt sick, like I was going to faint & was sweating was horrible. I had constant killer cramps for the rest of the day, but today they have settled down and they aren't so bad. Over all, the insertion was unbearable, but I'm definitely glad that I got it. Honestly we're women and we're strong enough to get through anything so don't let this post throw you off. Everyone's body is different & we all react differently."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got this inserted this past January (2017) and overall I love it. The insertion was very painful despite taking 800MG of iBProfin like my OBGYN said but the procedure was only a couple of minutes. I had some residual pain for the rest of the night but nothing a little more ibuprofen and a heating pad didn't fix. I woke up feeling fine. No other pain. My sex drive returned (had issues with taking estrogen with drive) in just two weeks and my periods have gotten shorter and lighter each month and currently I am only spotting. I have had no other issues with it so far but maybe next time I'll ask for a prescription strength pain med for the procedure."

Anonymous August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm 23 y/o and have endometriosis. I got this birth control put in a week ago. Getting skyla inserted was the most painful thing I've experienced. It feels like period cramps but 30x stronger and constant (for an hour during & after insertion). After almost passing out and throwing up all over the parking lot of the hospital I went to get it, I started feeling better. Haven't had any bleeding at all. Not even after insertion. Right now the only thing thats really bugging me is cramping only when I'm trying to sleep. I'm hoping eventually everything will get better, if not I'll be getting it removed."

Ratherhaveakid August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had my Skyla IUD inserted December of 2016. The insertion process was about 30 seconds and it was painful for me, but not completely unbearable. My first two months with the IUD were fine. After a couple of months, I started to get yeast infections twice a month and sex became painful. I began noticing that I was really dry down there. I also noticed that every morning I would wake up and feel EXTREMELY tired. Needless to say, it was difficult to get through the day. My OBGYN attempted to find solutions to my problems to no avail. I had my IUD removed July of 2017. Within two weeks, all of my symptoms went away. The IUD was great at preventing pregnancy, and I am sure this BC option is great for other women, but it took a toll on me."

Jxta August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Got Skylar inserted yesterday, the pain wasn't too bad, stopped pains within a minute after it was inserted, was strong enough to get up and walk out afterward, since it's in the bleeding stopped immediately after the procedure, since then I've gotten no bleeding what so ever, but I can feel cramping but not to bad, I am happy I got Skylar :)"

Renique (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Had my insertion yesterday afternoon. Extremely painful. I have a very small cervix that is way high up. The Dr. had to make many attempts just to grasp it. Light bleeding and bad cramps throughout the night. I took midol and used a heating pad. I'm starting to feel like myself today. Still occasionally cramping, but better."

Hgty August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had my Skyla placed about 2 hours ago. I know before I went in I was very nervous about how painful insertion would be after reading reviews. To put the women reading this at ease...it wasn't that bad at all. The whole process took maybe 2-3 minutes tops. To describe it in one word: uncomfortable. But when she inserted it, it hurt for maybe 3 seconds and it was done. I took 4 ibuprofen beforehand and got it done on my period like suggested, and now I only have what I would consider light cramping. Don't let the scary reviews stop you!"

magicallydelicious (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have noticed acne pick up, no weight gain. I also have noticed mood swings more. Periods are really light. Just seem more emotional. Overall it's better than taking a pill everyday. I have had mine for about a year now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had my IUD for about 2 months and I love it. The only negative thing for myself is the spotting. I'm 21 and do not have children. This is also my first form of birth control. I had skyla inserted on the 5th day of my period and the pain was very minimal. I did cramp slightly but I was able to drive myself home. A few days after insertion I had a slight breakout, which is odd for me because I generally have very clear skin, but my skin went back to normal a couple days later. I have noticed some slight mood swings but nothing too extreme. I also have been spotting a lot but I know it's normal and will probably stop within the next few months. My boy friend says he can't feel it either. I definitely recommend this IUD."

AlliB96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My OB suggested a Skyla for me after Mononessa threw me into some depression and fatigue around August 2016 (exactly a year, now). Had no issues up until the last couple months of having it. Sure, the painful acne started up quickly: My face has been a mess of grease no matter how many times I washed it, what soap I used, etc. I was willing to put up with the skin issues if that if it meant I was covered. But the last couple of periods have lasted nearly two weeks, have had more cramps, the acne is getting much worse and starting to show up on more of my body! I'm not going to pay $50 for skincare meds either. So, I'm not going to look on the bright side anymore and get it removed this week if I can."

Doggone Dang (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just had the Skyla IUD inserted a little over an hour ago. It was not as awful as I was expecting. The whole process took about 5 minutes, the actual insertion takes about 30 seconds. When the IUD is being inserted it feels like a sharp period cramp for a whole 30 seconds and then it's over with. I have not gotten any cramps since or bleeding. I was very scared going into the process and actually cancelled my appointment twice due to horror stories I was reading online but I am very glad that I went through with it because it was not half as bad as people were making it out to be."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had my Skyla inserted today and had a GREAT experience!! I am a virgin and no kids...seriously had zero pain having this put in. I did insert a cytotec vaginally before my appointment, and I took 800mg of ibuprofen 45 minutes before. I think the key is making sure you have a doctor you trust insert it, I work with my doctor and I have seen her insert many IUDs and she always does a fantastic job so that's why I chose her and I'm so glad I did. Right now (3 hours after insertion) I'm lying on the couch with a heating pad and minor cramping. Just feels like I'm about to start my period. I can't wait to see how this does for me."

BlueRidgeChick (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had Skyla placed 2 years ago within the first few months I gained 30lbs, sex drive plummeted, horrible cramps, I felt bloated constantly."

Not worth it (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had trouble with just about every birth control I've had so this was my last straw I got skyla inserted a month ago and it didn't hurt at all I didn't have ibuprofen or anything before had it was a little discomfort same as with a regular Pap smear nothing different I had no bleeding afterwards did have cramps nothing too horrible and believe me my pain tolerance is horrible lol but I've had my first period on skyla and it's longer but I'm barely bleeding only have to wear panty liners no pads or tampons so my over experience was pretty good"

Promisemiamor July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I will make 3 years of being on Skyla April 2018. So far I have had a miserable experience on Skyla. When I first got it inserted I cramped and bleed for 2 months straight. I went back in for checkups during those two months and the doctor said it was normal. And that my body was just adjusting. The bleeding stopped after the 3rd month, but started back immediately after having sex. And from that point on it was a constant cycle or stopping, sex, bleeding back on. I would say out of an entire month I only had like 10 days (if that) of not bleeding. My cycles were not heavy, and I didn't really experience any cramps, but bleeding constantly gets to be annoying. I would probably not get a new one inserted after my 3 years is over."

Tim Lynn (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I posted on 05/22/2017. This is an update. It's been almost 3 months since I had Skyla inserted. I stopped spotting after about 5-6 weeks. PMS symptoms are still more intense than before the IUD. My periods on Skyla are lighter than my "usual" ones, but they have become longer and last 8-10 days now. Cramps are sharper and less predictable. I never had to diet, remained in the same weight/size for the past 10+ years and returned to my pre-pregnancy shape within weeks. However, on Skyla I'm constantly hungry (as if I'm pregnant, but I'm not) and have gained 4 pounds already. Skyla is a keeper for me unless I cannot control my appetite or other symptoms become untolerable."

Nina25 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I LOVE MY SKYLA!!! Got Skyla Feb. 2017 (no kids) and had one period and then no periods since. The insertion was crampy pain (bearable but uncomfortable) but quick and I had no side effects immediately after and got up and left normally. I had some light spotting the next week and now when my period is supposed to come I may have a little extra discharge but nothing else. I am a person who has struggled with horrible mood swings, cystic acne, heavy crampy periods, and no luck with any other BC and I have tried nearly all of them in the 11 years I have been on BC. Skyla is the first time in my 27 years that I am acne free, without mood swings, and the happiest and healthiest I have ever been using any form of hormonal birth control!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I chose the Skyla after my second child. It was inserted 8 weeks after baby. At the 4 week follow up, they could not find the strings. 2 ultrasounds, pregnancy test, x Ray, and CT scan later, they located the IUD in my abdominal cavity which required lap surgery to remove! What a disaster!"

Anonymous July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had it for a year and three months and it was alright up until I couldn't feel the string anymore and now I'm having pregnancy symptoms. It was very painful during insertion. I will be getting it taken out due to pregnancy. But it's was a good birth control until now."

Kandycane713 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla IUD for almost two years. It was very uncomfortable to have it put in. I bleed for 2 weeks after. My cycle would last for at least 10 day. Before the IUD my cycle only lasted 3 days. I finally got it taken out about 3 months and got back on the pill. My cycle has yet to go back to normal."

Random Daydreamer (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I hate this thing! I've had it in for over 2 years, I got it after I had my daughter. Not the best decision I've ever made and I'm having a hard time getting my doctor and my OBGYN to take it out it's like nobody wants to. It has decreased my sex drive made me hormonal mood swings depressed put a strain on my relationship with my husband because of that. I can hardly ever get "in the mood" and that sucks, I'm 24 y.o! Also the weight gain, the nausea, irregular periods, cystic acne breakouts on my face....seriously I hate this thing! It has made me so miserable. I'm switching OBGYN offices just to get the damn thing out!"

Loverose15 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm 20 years old, I've had Skyla for a year now. When I first got Skyla inserted by my gynecologist it was very painful. The pain feels like long major cramps while on your period but slightly worse. I did not take any medication before my appointment because my gynecologist said it wouldn't be that bad. I highly recommend taking some kind of pain medication before you get Skyla or any IUD. My cramps were so painful right after the insertion I had hot and cold flashes. My doctor noticed right away my oxygen levels were low and then I was given an oxygen mask. After my appointment I had painful cramps for three days and spotting for three months. After three months of spotting my period became normal. Periods get lighter every month."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017