User Reviews for Skyla

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Skyla.

Birth Control
7.2

1,146 reviews 302 medications
Summary of Skyla reviews 7.2 1,146 reviews

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "This review is merely on the insertion that I just had today. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen beforehand and am on the heaviest most painful day of my period. I have no children and my doctor told me my cervix was very tight so it hurt A LOT. The measuring and opening of the cervix was the most painful and uncomfortable thing for me. When she actually inserted the IUD I immediately felt cramps but they weren’t unbearable. You just have to remember to take deep breaths so you don’t pass out and try to relax. If it’s painful for you please rest for at least 20 minutes before sitting up and going about your day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "The insertion process hurt so bad. I’ve never had a kid but when they clinch my uterus I think it feel something like that. That first day I had cramping, which you have to expect because it’s a foreign object in your body. The first month with a period hurt the cramps were a little more intense. But as birth control goes this birth-control hasn’t failed me. No change in weight or acne and my boyfriend has finished inside of me and I’m not pregnant this birth-control is great I recommend it to everybody. With my insurance I only paid 20% which for me was $200 and something"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted 9/18/15. Never have I ever been pregnant. I was 26 at the time of insertion. Insertion was VERY painful. While the insertion was painful it lasted only 2-3 mins. I had slight pain for 3 days with MAJOR bloating. I spotted every day for 8 months. It was enough I had to wear a panty liner. Eventually spotting stopped. My periods are irregular, when I did get one I would bleed for 15-20 days. It was always dark, thick tissue that I bled. I had severe cramps not only on my period but randomly. Severe 8/10 pain. I just had the device removed 11/30/17. While it did prevent pregnancy and I had minimal side effects. The prolonged bleeding, the pain, and unpredictability of getting my period made me choose to remove it."

Alphablonde December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm not sure what to think about this form of birth control. Insertion wasn't all that bad, and I had it done a week before my period was due. It mostly hurt during the measuring but it only lasted for a second. I was able to go about my day as usual. For the first 3 months, I actually had more bleeding and more cramping. Now, a year later, I don't bleed much and I don't cramp either. Sounds good, right? Well, I have had issues on this too. I have experienced pain in the pelvic and abdominal region during sex with this. I take cranberry pills but I still get cloudy urine and sometimes I feel like I have to pee even though nothing more comes out. I also cannot do exercises at high intensity without bleeding out my crotch."

Youknowiknow000 December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Most of my girl friends love their IUD's but so far I'm on the fence. About a six weeks in I started to get really sick. Jaw pain, migraines, vertigo and nausea, cramps, exhaustion, confusion, and unpredictable histamine reactions among other things. I went to 4 different docs including my gyno all of whom said it was unlikely from my IUD and couldn't find any reason for the illness. I kept getting worse. Finally I asked my gyno about intercranial hypertension caused by my IUD and after researching it she agreed that was a likely culprit. The point is not every bc works for everyone. If it's not for you don't let a doc tell you it's all in your head. Just keep asking questions."

Peewee89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Note: This review is solely based on the insertion process as I've only had it inserted today. I had made the terrible mistake of reading reviews and blogs from other people's experience and the majority of them were so scary! I was terrified. Finally the day came for insertion and even though I was prescribed misoprostol and was told to take 800 mg of ibuprofen, I ended up doing neither. I went in with nothing but determination to get through it and deep breathing exercises. Long story short, the entire process was less than 5 minutes from the time the doctor entered until the time they left the room. The actual insertion time was maybe 2 minutes. NO PAIN WHATSOVER! No cramping. So don't be afraid!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Skyla insertion was painful, but not anything unbearable. I did break out in a sweat from the insertion process. My gyno failed to make a follow-up appointment. I had Skyla for 8 months. I experienced the worst period cramps of my life. My periods lasted 9-12 days. It was heavy the first 5 days and then light spotting the remainder of the time. I would get light headed from the pain. After several months of discomfort, I went to see a new gyno. The IUD was stuck in my cervix and had been for at least 4 months. Scar tissue had formed around the IUD. The removal process did not hurt as much as the insertion process. Had it worked, it would have been a great option. Unfortunately, my body did not like it."

Nicole1990 November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got skyla on Sep. 1st 2017 and no the insertion isn't as painful as some people say. It was however very uncomfortable. The doctor explained to me the reason some say it's painful is because the claps are not slowly put in place, so just ask your Dr to take their time! I was on depo and nexplanon b4 an both had bad side effects, mainly painful intercourse and no libido is why I switched. Sex does not hurt anymore but I did get my period back. I would say skyla works for me pretty well."

Samantha g November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "PHYSICAL EXPERIENCE: - Insertion hurt horribly like most people say - Intense cramping for first 2 months - Period gone but spotting every 2 weeks that lasts 7 - 9 days, not enough for a tampon but enough to ruin all your panties - Bloating, hunger, acne, weight fluctuation, etc. all true - Cramping randomly and intensely 4 - 5 times per week EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE: - Irritability and mood swings OFF THE CHARTS - Feeling of constant weight on chest, depression, anxiety - Trouble sleeping, insomnia, worrying - Decreased libido, aches at thought of having sex - When having sex I get into it & it's ok but harder to orgasm It is November 27, removal scheduled for Nov. 30th... This is not worth it. I'd rather risk pregnancy..."

LexieJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I think the greatest choice I have made in terms of my health is switching from oral contraceptives to an IUD. I want to state that all women react differently to varying forms of birth control. Skyla releases hormones locally to the reproductive organs. Within two months of switching forms to the IUD, I noticed weight loss and other systemic effects such as more manageable hair and less dry skin. I never had terrible issues with acne, so oral birth control really dried out my skin. I have saved hundreds (birth control was only subsidized, not covered by my health insurance) and I have peace of mind due to not having to take a pill every day. I paid $10 for the actual device, and about $20-40 in preparation for insertion."

Shanpagne November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Skyla is the third birth control method I’ve tried. To date, I’ve had an IUD for ten months before getting it out today. In regards to its effectiveness and convenience, it’s a 10/10 option for birth control. No condoms or trips to the pharmacy for refills in ten months, and no pregnancies. It’s nice to not have to actively think of your birth control, especially if you lead a busy life. However, there were some downsides to this method, which is why I️ switched back to the pill today. The insertion process was unbearably painful for me, I️'d rate it a 9/10. I’ve always had heavy periods with severe menstrual cramping, and this was by far the worst pain I’d ever experienced. After insertion, I️ experienced mild cramping for the rest of the day, but experienced sporadic, severe cramping for the first two months. Like, “knock the wind out of you, can’t walk or talk” cramping, and it would come and go in spontaneous waves. Those passed after the first 2 months and for the remaining 8, I️ experienced cramping maybe two or three times and it was when I️ got my period. Speaking of, I️ spotted for a no more than two weeks after insertion; my periods became significantly lighter during the first three months and by the fourth plateaued out but remained light the rest of the time. I noticed the more long-term side effects I️ experienced with Skyla around the 6th month- which were fatigue, weight gain, acne, irritability, and mood swings. The acne is mild, but the weight gain, irritability and mood swings were more significant. I️ gained about 25 pounds within the ten months and I️ noticed I was tired, irritable and hormonal all the time- not just when I️ had my period. I️ waited a few months to rule out any other factors contributing to these symptoms and to see if they’d subside, but they remained. So, I️ switched to a low-dose birth control pill today, Taytulla. It contains estrogen and progestin, instead of just progestin like Skyla. Hopefully, my symptoms will begin to disappear. Skyla was effective, but unfortunately didn’t react well with my body chemistry. But it’s different for everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is by far the most horrifying birth control I have ever been on. I have had Skyla for 1.5 years, checked my strings faithfully to make sure nothing happened to it on a monthly basis. Well, since Friday I have spent a total of 10+ hours at the OBGYN and the IUC at my local hospital. I had been bleeding for two weeks with severe cramping, so I decided to go to the OBGYN. They told me even though my IUD placement was completely fine, I had somehow gotten pregnant. They couldn't tell me whether I'd have a normal child or an ectopic pregnancy which could effect my fertility long term. That was Friday night. Sunday I woke up with bleeding, cramping and was very sick. I went to the IUC and after 4 hours there I was told I had miscarried."

EK619 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Welp. I had high hopes for the Skyla. I needed extra help with regulating my periods without the burden of popping a pill daily. The insertion was very mild. I was bracing myself for some intense pain to send me crashing to my knees - maybe I have a high pain tolerance? Doubt it. This part was uncomfortable for sure, but not that bad. 1-3 months: nonstop bleeding. I was told this would subside after 6 weeks, for the most part, it did. But the CRAMPS! Debilitating to say the least. They were sporadic and extremely painful. 3-5 months: I noticed my skin breaking out much more than usual. And the scarring was bad!!! Cheeks, jawline and forehead. Plus my periods were 3x longer and more painful. Had it removed two days ago. Wave of relief!"

BJBVII November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Skyla for almost a month. Their insertion experience for me was pretty bad. All of these ladies including some of my friends said it was be painful but that I would be okay. Everyone is different I wish someone would have told me to take some anxiety medication and pain relievers. I suffer from severe anxiety. Anyway, the insertion was terrible. I was holding my breathe while she opened my cervix. I black out and had a seizure. I was just crying when I woke up and was hyperventilating. It was terrible. I got myself together after 30 minutes. My doctor should have been telling me to breathe but whatever it’s in now. I have had cramps and spotting on random days but I’ve been taking OTC medicine to control the pain."

Itsjess27 November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got it inserted and it was not painful at all. The slight pinch but that was to be expected. I went with skyla bc it's the smallest IUD. And the IUD with the lowest hormones in it. I had it put in July 3rd. It's now November 15th and I haven't had a period since Oct 6th. Kinda freaking out about it but I have heard it can cause you to not have periods after a year of having it."

Agodi2217 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "After being on two different pill birth controls, I was tired of not feeling like myself- unhappy, negative, anxious, crying. I was scared to get the IUD but I pushed myself and it's so worth it. The insertion was painful, but quick and I have a great gynecologist who coached me through it. The worst part was the intense cramps and spotting for the next week, which would return off and on for the following month. However, my emotions are sooo much more stable and I feel very protected. I do have cramps sometimes that are worse than before I had the IUD, but I would take that over depression and anxiety any day."

Happy again! November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "It's been three months - I chose Skyla because I wanted to get off the Depot Provera shot - Was on it for several years and my GYN recommended birth control pills but I did not want to have to think about birth control on a daily basis. The reviews I read and people I spoke too gave a 50/50 toss up either way both great or horrible experiences. I choose Skyla because it was smaller and had slightly better reviews and other IUD's. Also other IUD's last for 5 years and slightly bigger, that made me nervous. Advice if you decide to get Skyla 1. Get a morning appointment 2. Take the entire day off from work 3. Take a Motrin before the procedure 4. Use a heating pad on your stomach when you get home it helps with the cramps."

Adult-Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Let me start off by saying that I have a high pain tolerance. I have fractured bones, went through surgeries with out pain medicine (because I am allergic) and I have been in a car accident and nothing compares to the pain I had when I got my Skyla inserted. Before insertion I took a muscle relaxer and I wasn’t prescribed any numbing cream or cervics softener medication. I was on my period when she started and it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. After my mom was driving me home and I was hurting so much that I threw up and I remember telling my mom I rather be shot in the head than go through this ever again. The pain lasted about an hour but after that hour the pain magically disappeared and I haven’t had a problem since."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on the pill for 10yrs & wasn't happy with weight gain & PMS symptoms, also tired of taking a pill everyday. About 40 minutes before my Skyla insertion yesterday, I took 500mg Naproxen, 200mg Ibuprofen & a muscle relaxer. Was on day 3 of my period - I was not given cervix-softening meds. It hurt but I've also gotten a few colposcopy (cervix biopsy) before, so I would compare it to that but a LITTLE more 'pinchy' & crampy. They key was taking BIG DEEP BREATHS. Focusing on deep breathing definitely helps!! I popped right up after it was over & was able to drive myself home. Cramping the rest of the afternoon felt just like heavy period cramps-heating pad helped, I slept great & now at work with dull, bearable cramps. So far so good!"

TinaAnn November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Okay so I got this IUD a few days ago and i just wanted to share my experience. I heard pretty bad things about the insertion so I took a percocet pain killer before I went in. Like 15 mg which is a lot. (normal dosage is 5mg, I had a 30mg one and cut it in half). By the time I got to the doctor, I was definitely feeling the effects of the pain killer. When he first inserted the tampon-like tool in, I was uncomfortable but fine, but OMG when the actual IUD went in it felt like a cramp on steroids and the pain was so unbearable I fainted. I couldn't move for 20 min from the procedure chair and didn't move from my bed for the rest of the day. I cant even imagine what it would've been like without the percocet! My period ended 2 days after insert"

VMM4 November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got my Skyla in June 2017 and now in October 2017 I'm getting it removed. Getting it put in was terrible, I was cursing at my doctor and nurse. The next week after that I was in extreme pain, cramping and everything. Now I'm having increased acne when I never had acne in my teens, I'm getting horrible cramps out of no where, it feels like someone is ripping my hip bones out of my body. I'm getting extreme vertigo with no warning to the point where I feel like I'm upside down. I'm getting vaginal infections all the time from literally anything; my period, sex, and even clothing is throwing off my PH. On top of that I am constantly hungry to the point where it's annoying. The only thing I like is I don't have to remember to take a pill."

Lynn20 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Let me start by saying that every woman’s experience is different. I’ve had my IUD since March 2016 and can say it was the best health decision I’ve made to date. The insertion process was uncomfortable but not unbearable (I took 3 Aleve a couple hours prior, pretty severe cramping upon insertion for around 2 minutes, and then gradually subsided). I was able to have sex with no real discomfort within 24 hours. However, the worst side effect I had was cramping during ovulation. I almost ended up in the ER several times from the pain; it felt like labor contractions. However, this also went away within 4 months. Now I just get occasional spotting and mild cramps, nothing that a warm bath and OTC meds can’t fix."

hsco October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I absolutely love my Skyla. Insertion was pretty uncomfortable, but was completely bearable. I spotted on and off for the first few months, which was annoying, but not a deal breaker. Finally after about 6 months my periods have levelled out and are regular again. I get very minimal cramping a few days before, and a light flow that lasts about 6 days. I have had no other negative side effects and I LOVE not having to remember a pill every day! Plus, every other birth control I've tried has given me horrible moods swings, horribly tender breasts, and acne. I haven't experienced any of those with Skyla. I would highly recommend this and have already sung it praises to all my friends."

gorilla3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got this IUD almost 3 years ago now, after being forced to change due to an insurance error. The first six months were quite unpleasant, which is expected since you are going on a new hormonal birth control. The cramps and monthly periods varied from light to heavy. Since then, I usually don't have a period. I have monthly "PMS" symptoms with hormones and breast growth, but rarely spotting or having an actual period. However, the select months I DO have a period, the cramps are debilitating. I often keel over and cannot function until they pass. I have spoken with several others with IUD's and this seems to be a common thing. Even with this pain, I would still recommend it. It's really nice to not worry about getting pregnant."

Notpenelope (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got my skyla IUD inserted in January 2017. It’s October 2017 now. I liked it for 7 months until now. I will have to say the insertion was absolutely horrible that was about 10/10 pain. It is the closest to ever feeling like giving birth. I’ve never felt anything more painful in my life. After insertion, I was bleeding for around 2 months straight. It officially calmed down and I had light periods like usual per month. Now at 7 months in, I have periods now that last for two weeks long on/off and painful cramps. Every time after I have sex, I run to the bathroom and I wipe tons of blood. I was 150 pounds when it was inserted, now I’m 177pounds. I am freaking out for weight gain, it has been convenient, no maintenance, and I’m not pregnant."

Tiffasian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2017