User Reviews for Skyla

7.1

1,337 reviews 315 medications
Summary of Skyla reviews 7.1 1,337 reviews

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "So I was completely terrified of getting the skyla placed, just due to the horror reviews I read prior to my appointment (horrible mistake). Before my appointment, I took a pill to open my cervix, along with 2 ibuprofen. The insertion was easy, and hardly painful. A few small cramps here and there, nothing horrible. But that pain usually depends on the person"

T January 17, 2019

For Birth Control "I got Skyla on November 1, 2018. I honestly love it. its only been a few months but its the best birth control i've ever used. I had been on the pill for years and I wanted something I didn't have to worry about. I tried nexplanon and hated it, I bled almost every day for a year and a half. The insert for Skyla was not bad at all. It was just like cramps. The Nurse Practitioner who inserted it was really good as well. I will admit that I had some anxiety going in, but she was so professional and talked to me about my concerns. I honestly believed that since I became relaxed, the insert wasn't as painful. I drove myself home from the appointment too. My periods are lighter now, I really don't use tampons anymore, even pads feel a bit too heavy, usually a panty liner will do the trick now. My sex drive came back too. The pill took that away from me lol. Ladies, don't be afraid to try it, if it doesn't work for you, you can always get it removed."

Chanel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2019

For Birth Control "I just got my Skyla removed after a full three years of having it and I wanted to wait all the way until removal to write a review. All I can say is this was such a good decision, and I have never regretted getting it put in! For me, the insertion process was very bearable and I would rate it a 7/10. Over the course of the 3 years, my moderate-to-heavy periods were reduced to spotting, which was usually a dark brown discharge rather than bright red blood/lining. I did have pretty heavy mood swings 2 days per month but they were regular, so I knew how to monitor and alleviate them. Removal was fine, too, and felt like a general pap smear. I did get Kyleena inserted today, immediately after the Skyla removal, because Kyleena is the same hormones and dosages but just last 5 years instead of 3. Overall, I am so happy with Skyla, but even my roommate had a very different experience on it, so it is still a very variable drug woman-to-woman."

Jay January 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla for about 2 years now. The insertion was easy, but I'm someone who has a very high pain tolerance. The cramps afterwards were no fun but thankfully subsided within a few days. Everything about this IUD is great except the toll it has taken on my mental health. I never used to be emotional around the time of my period but with Skyla I'm a wreck every month and my periods are light but last 2 weeks. I cry all the time when I'm on my period and my moods are like a roller coaster. I had to up my antidepressant dose after getting this IUD just to feel somewhat normal again. It certainly gets the job done but sometimes I feel like it's not worth the emotional damage. It is however, a nice estrogen-free option if you're someone who suffers from migraines like myself. After leaving the pill for Skyla, my migraines decreased substantially, so there are a lot of pros and cons."

Annie January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had the Skyla birth control for about 4 months now. It is a good type of birth control, but there were two downsides from it though. The first downside was that I was not able to have sex for 3 of the months that I had it but, that was expected. The second downside was that I had unbelievably painful cramps to the point where I would be crying and curled up in the ball under my heated blanket."

Skyla User M (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2019

For Birth Control "Had it inserted. Worst pain I’ve ever experienced. Next day, cramps beyond explanation. Back to the doc. They couldn’t find the strings to the IUD. LONG STORY SHORT ... IUD traveled from uterus and wedged behind appendix and intestines. Ended up in emergency surgery. They still can’t figure out how it got there! Back on depo shot!!! Don’t like being a rare statistic!"

Bree (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted February 2018. I was very scared to get it prior to having it inserted but I went through it anyways and it actually wasn't that bad. However fast forward to 2019. I have gained 35 lb on Skyla. I had my last baby in July 2017 and I lost a lot of weight after I had her and continued to lose weight up until the insertion of the IUD. If you are very sensitive to birth control as of I am I would recommend the good old condoms. I feel like the IUD has made me go emotionally crazy and experienced a lot of weight gain. I had the depo shot in 2015 and it was far worse than Skyla. I had experienced a lot of weight gain and I was hormonally off balance severely. Anyone that is sensitive to any sort of birth control like I am I wouldn't recommend anything."

Glo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I am almost done with my second Skyla IUD. For the last almost 6 years I have LOVED it. I did have a lot of bleeding in the first month. Which is common. I have not gained weight, had unusual mood swings, acne, etc. It is a little expensive, but the second go around I found out you can get a grant from the government to pay for it."

JNC (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla IUD inserted 3 days ago. The pain during and for about 6-10 hours afterward was easily top 5 worst pain I’ve ever had. I was not at all prepared for that. I thought something was wrong and went back to the doctor that same day to have them check it. They said everything was fine. I’m still having pain from cramping now but it’s more mild. I’m not used to that because I’ve never really dealt with cramps before. I’m hoping they will go away. Before I had this IUD inserted I was on the mini pill. Skyla is a lower dosage so I’m hoping that helps with some of the issues I was having. So far I’m just want the thing taken back out but I’m trying to push through hoping it will get better."

NewlyWed18 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

For Birth Control "Don’t listen to the horror stories. If you know this hormone type works for you birth control wise GET IT!! I was on depo for years before this until my gyno forced me off and I had to make the choice to do this because I knew I would forget taking the pill. Seriously ladies, do it, worst part is insertion after that I had zero symptoms and didn’t feel a thing. On year number 2 and loving it. Don’t even have periods. No cramping. Nothing. You don’t even know it’s there. I know that progesterone only birth controls work for me. If you haven’t taken a progesterone only bc then for sure DO NOT choose a 3 year method!! You need to make sure this hormone combo works for you before you sign up or you WILL be miserable like everyone complaining. Will definitely get again once I have children."

Blair (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2019

For Birth Control "I loved this IUD. It really serves its purpose. I've had it for 2 years and the only complaint is that it clogged my pores very severely. Facial and body acne has appeared mostly around menstruation. "

Kate (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2019

For Birth Control "As far and the initial procedure, I cried. I have a low pain tolerance anyway but if was enough for me to decide not to get another IUD when this one expires. The pain went away quickly though. About six months after, I ended up in the ER with an 4.6cm ovarian cyst rupture. The pain was so severe I could not move for hours. I've had two cyst ruptures total in the year I have had Skyla. I also experience breast fibroids often leaving me with very sore and swollen breasts. My period went away until my first rupture and now its very irregular. When I do get it I have horrible bleeding and immobilizing cramps. I have finally had enough and am getting mine removed and going back to my low dose pill option."

SRB15951 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the Skyla yesterday 12-27-18. The pain of the insertion was definitely more than I thought it would be. I’ve tried pills the depo shot, and the nuva ring. The shot was a horrible I bleed for months and had to use the pills to reverse those effects. I stopped using it and switched to the nuva ring which was decent, however my partner would hit it during intercouse. Taking the nuva ring in and out during sex was annoying and I wanted to try something different. I can’t give much detail on the Skyla because I have only had it for a day. However the pain while receiving it was top 10 but quick. I had my mother come with me and having her there definitely helped because she held my hand. Afterwords I felt like I had one large cramp over my midsection and it ended a few hours later. My advice is too bring a trusted family member or friend, take medication(Motrin, Ibuprofen) before insertion, and go while on your period."

Bb (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had it in for almost three years now and it has served its purpose well! I have not had any issues and it has made my period so much lighter. I love it and will probably get another one when the time comes around"

Sam (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla inserted today and was quite nervous after reading a lot of scary reviews about painful insertion. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen 1 hour ahead of time and received lidocaine injections in my cervix. The procedure ended up being entirely painless, much to my surprise (I’m a wimp). I have had 3 pregnancies, so that may have helped, but I do think the lidocaine and ibuprofen made a huge difference. So far, minor gas-like cramping and bleeding lightly. I just wanted to share a positive review so others go into the gyno’s office a little less nervous."

Kate (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Skyla for two years now and I was in love with this style of birth control up until a week ago when I was visiting my OBGYN. I had mentioned my worry for being on antibiotics for a year and a half to help control my acne. I have never had acne before, let alone cystic acne until 6 months of the Skyla IUD. That was when she brought up that cystic acne is a side effect for women who have the Skyla insertion. I am beyond eager to have my Skyla removed a year early, tomorrow, so I can hopefully feel confident with my skin again. I do not believe that this happens with everyone but I wanted to share my story to help those who are looking into this. Besides the acne, the Skyla worked like a charm, my heavy periods turned into very low flow periods and I never got pregnant! However, not worth it to me to be breaking out this tremendously."

Missy (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Skyla inserted in May 2018. So far I haven’t had any issues with cramping or heavy periods. Sometimes I have small breakthrough bleeding a few days a month but it’s nothing too concerning. I have noticed an increase in acne around my chin area (hormonal acne). I’ve eliminated dairy and started using an AHA/BHA exfoliant and it has actually helped quite a bit. My breakouts are way less severe than they were. Other than that I have no complaints! Lots of unprotected sex and no pulling out and I’ve yet to have a pregnancy scare so I’d say Skyla does it’s job pretty well!"

Vika (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been really happy with my Skyla IUD! I’ve tried the shot and the pill and hated the side effects from both (weight gain, mood swings, acne, cramps). I got my Skyla inserted in the middle of October this year. The initial insertion was definitely painful but once it was in I didn’t have any pain, just a little soreness. Immediately after I left my appointment I went grocery shopping and then went to work since the pain was so mild. The first month I was definitely moodier than normal and had spotting but everything seems to have balanced out now that it’s mid December. I’m not moody anymore, only cramping one day out of the whole month and I’ve actually lost weight since getting my IUD. I think it really depends on your doctor who does the insertion how painful it will be, do your research on your provider and find someone you trust :)"

Elle (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had the Skyla for almost 5 months. Prior to that I had the Paraguard 4 years. I was so fed up with bleeding for 8-9 day very heavily so I decided to change to skyla. I have had nothing but health issues since. Insertion hurt and I continued to have horrible back pain for about a month, and now once a month. I started getting cold sores (never had) during PMS and my period, nausea, dizziness and fatigue. After two months I got my first stomach ulcer (never had) which took a whole month to start getting better. After that I started having diarrhea and stomach cramping and it’s as if I am allergic to everything I eat! Two week ago I had my annual eye exam and was told my optic nerves were swollen (never been told that before). I’ve had two bladder infections since I’ve had the IUD and lots of hair loss. This thing is coming out in 3 days and I couldn’t be sooner. Please don’t ruin your health with skyla."

Mzand December 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I was put on the skyla after forgetting to take the pill so much. The insertion was painful afterwards. No period for 6 months after insertion but then my periods came back and started get even worse. They would last at least a 9 days with horrible cramps. I’m planning to get skyla removed finally after 26 months."

Kim (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I got this implant in while I was on my period so it didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would. I’ve had this implant in for 6 months and it was rough just in the beginning. My cramps would get bad but my periods weren’t as heavy as before, it was much lighter. I was 142 now I’m 150 pounds. I don’t go to the gym. At the time I was taking these vitamins for hair growth and the implant made me breakout. I thought it’s probably the vitamins so I stopped taking them and my face got cleared."

Lexi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla for 2 years before having it removed. After having the IUD for 11 months, I started breaking out in chronic hives daily. After visiting my PCP, Dermatologist, and Allergist several times, no one could tell me what was causing the hives. I would get hives from exercising, cleaning, cold weather, and stress. It was a daily occurrence for me and I changed everything from switching to organic foods and reading labels to any products that had chemicals. I did everything possible and the only thing I could think of that I hadn’t changed was having my IUD removed. It has now been 2 years since having the Skyla removed and now the only time I break out in hives is when it is really cold outside. I have read articles that state it can take up to 4 years before your body rids you of the toxins from the IUD. When I mentioned this to my OB-GYN she stated she had never heard of such a thing. My next checkup she told me she had another patient with similar issues."

Elaine December 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 27, got Skyla February of 2017, so I’ve had Skyla in for over a year, the beginning 6 months were rough! Crazy insane cramps & bloating ! Now periods last 2 days or so & cramps aren’t so bad. BUT the side effects... So before Skyla I weighed 125lbs. Today I weighed in at 135lb. I've always worked out, no red meats & small portion sized food! Nothing has changed.... but some how I just keep putting on weight ! Oh I've also noticed my acne increased ! It’s taken much longer for the acne on my face to go away, it appears, then blemishes & I'm stuck with it for months. I got skyla because I just got married and was not ready for kids ! But this battle of weight and acne is really depressing I’m trying to make the decision of removing it ahead of time, needless to say this IUD does do its job but the side affects are starting to be more long term than anything. Super torn"

27 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 30, 2018

For Birth Control "The worse side effect I have had from my Skyla is terrible acne. I am 28 years old with acne like teenager. I kept thinking it was stress causing my acne. I tried almost everything to get rid of my acne. I tried Proactiv, over the counter face washes, Spirinolactone, Curology, etc . Nothing cured it. Then I thought it was my diet. I changed my diet. That didn’t work either. Finally 2 years after inserting my IUD I had a hormone test done and my progesterone levels were high. The Dr told me they were high due to my IUD and the progesterone caused my acne. Another side effect are my mood swings. They are crazy!! Just like the acne, at the beginning I blamed stress or I was overwhelmed. But after realizing that in any situation I get continuous mood swings and I’m not PMSing ,I knew it had to me my IUD. After much consideration, my husband decided to get a vasectomy so that I could remove my IUD!! The Skyla did it’s job, I didn’t get pregnant, but the acne alone was not worth it"

Nana November 30, 2018

For Birth Control "The first day of the insertion, was very painful, when it was It was inserted I had a very sharp pain, but no different from any other bad mensural cramp. I spotted on and off for about 2 months. I had some really bad cramps on and off also, but after the 2 months those are done and I couldn’t be anymore happy I got the skyla. It hormone are low so my mood is amazing and my acne is completely gone. My face cleaned up amazingly. I have no acne.. my mood before on birth control was so up and down I thought I had bipolar but the skyla seems to have cleared that up, also I have no period and no cramps it’s the best decision I ever made I’m completely happy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...