User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 901 reviews 295 medications

7.3
Summary of Skyla reviews 901 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I was not on my period, had no medication to open my cervix, and had no numbing spray. The insertion was painful for about 30 seconds. I was sweating, had abdominal cramps that felt like I was going to have diarrhea, and some menstrual cramps. I had bad cramps for about 2 hours after insertion. I had no bleeding after insertion & didn't have a period until 8 weeks later. I recommend having someone drive you home & taking a heating pad with you. Take Motrin like an hour before you go. I would 100% do it again & hope that the rest of my time with it works out. So far I feel like my sex drive has increased which had always been a problem on other birth control. My husband cannot feel it my doc says the strings are wrapped around my cervix."

27 y/o no kids (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I'm 21 years old and had very bad experiences with the pill so I tried skyla. I had the skyla IUD in for about a month. I liked it at first but I started getting very moody. It effected my relationship with my parents and my boyfriend. My acne was terrible and I gained unnecessary weight. I had it removed a month later. Once I had it removed I got pregnant immediately and had an ectopic pregnancy. I woke up one morning in tremendous amount of pain. I was sent to the ER for internal bleeding and had to have Emergency surgery and had to have one of the Fallopian tubes removed. I would never recommend this IUD to anyone. The physical and mental Pain was unbearable. please whatever you do don't get this IUD."

Amiebutterfly February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I recently got skyla inserted at my gynecologist. I am 20 yrs old and n/p. I didn't not take any precautions by using pain meds for the sake of seeing how bad the pain would be. I was not on my period. The process of inserting the speculum, insertion of measuring device, and insertion of skyla took all but a minute tops. The pain was not unbearable at all just seemed to be the equivalent of three severe cramps in a row. It seemed more of discomfort than pain. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it about a 4 or 5. This was three days ago. Initially there was a small amount of bleeding the first day and a lot of cramps. The second day there was no bleed just mild cramps reaching the third day I have cramps every here and there but it is manageable."

Ess1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "So I decided to try a new method of birth control as I have been using the pill for the better part of the last 7 years. I am petite (4'10), 23 yrs old nulliparous with mod-heavy painful periods. I got my Jaydess iud (skyla in the US) inserted just about 24 hours ago. Took 800mg of advil before the appointment. Do not let these reviews scare you about the pain. Honestly it was about a 6/10 but the cramping wasn't the issue, it was more for the sharp insertion pain which lasted tops 30secs. They also used an ultrasound which I thought was great. Afterwards I did spot for a bit (day 3 of period), no cramps coming home but did have some mod during the night and took 400mg of advil. I feel great this morning, hope it all works out! :)"

babynrs93 February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I'm another, I don't normally write reviews, but I need to for this. 40 Y/O NP. I received the Skyla 20 days ago, while on my period. The insertion- weird, painful, almost stopped, but didn't. Afterwards was crazy. I had taken 600mg ibuprofen an hour before the appt. I was almost terrified by what I had read. After the insertion, I got up, went to the front desk to make my follow-up appointment, and started to feel queasy. My home is only a mile away and I thought, just need to get there. Got out of my car and fell flat on the ground /, face first. Crying, it was AWFUL. That all said, 20 days later, no issues at all. At this point highly recommend, even after passing out!"

Over40NP February 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted on day 3 of my period and my doc prescribed misoprostol for the evening before/morning of. I declined the xanax she offered bc I had work that day, but I will definitely plan to make arrangements for it when I have the IUD replaced because the procedure was absolutely excruciating. It may be because I've never been pregnant or bc I was already on my period, but it took all of the self control I had to not beg her to stop halfway through. I was sweating and unable to move for a while, and the pain slowly went away as the day went on. I was sore during sex the day after, and I've had light bleeding/spotting (usually panty liner, sometimes tampon) on and off since. It's been 2 weeks, and I've felt very hormonal."

maddieg3005 February 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Let me preface this review by I did already get hormonal acne around my chin/mouth, but it was only when I was experiencing PMS. I will say that for it's purpose, Skyla is extremely effective and I enjoyed not having to remember to take a pill everyday. It is a very smart medical device and I wish that I did not experience the side effects that I did. I experience PMS like symptoms twice a month- once before my period and once when I ovulate. This include extreme cramps and severe hormonal acne all over my jaw, chin, mouth, and cheek. I had never gotten acne on my cheeks before my Skyla insertion. "

Severe hormonal acne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I just got my skyla in yesterday so this rating is only for the insertion process itself. I have been on the pill for the past year and a half but I wasn't very good at taking it on time and correctly so my doctor and I decided to try an IUD. As I'm 18 and have never had kids the skyla it was. I'm not going to lie I tend to overestimate how much something is going to hurt and end up being fine but unfortunately that wasn't the case for this. The pain was definitely there and actually hurt more than I thought it would. I couldn't stand up for about ten minutes after the insertion and driving home was a a nightmare. I had to pull over because my vision was blurry. Be cautious with this. Hoping the good outweighs the bad."

jennamichel (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I got my Skyla inserted 4 days ago, I was so nervous to go through with it after spending countless hours reading other people experiences. The doctor told me she would stop at any point if the pain became too much to handle. The whole procedure lasted maybe 5 minutes at most. I did not feel a single thing and actually had to question if she truly finished. I did not experience any cramps for the first 12 hours but once they kicked in they were no different than period cramps, a little ibuprofen here and there and everything was fine. Bleeding has ranged from light to barely even spotting but my period tends to last a week so it may just be from that. So far I am very happy with my decision to get it. DON'T LET THE BAD EXPERIENCES WORRY YOU!"

12356 (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had my skyla inserted three days ago (February 15th, a lovely late Valentine's Day present) I knew the inserting and measuring weren't going to feel good and I was right but the pain was like a bad period cramp that lasts for maybe 30ish seconds. I've been on the pill for 6 years prior to my getting the skyla (I'm 20 w/ no kids) and found myself forgetting to take my pill on time or at all! Which is not good as I am in no way, shape, or form ready for a mini me. My doc had me come in while I was on my period as the cervix is looser when your menstruating. I had it put in on the second day of my period and by the next day I had stopped bleeding!! I hope this continues as that was the major appeal for me of this BC."

CheyenneRachel February 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Getting skyla hurt, mostly because I never had anything shoved into my cervix so it was a pain I can't compare it to. I wanted to stop her half way but I wasn't going to bail half way in. The pain stopped 30 mins after insertion. I was worried it would hurt to move so I just napped once I got home from the gynos office and didn't have sex for 2 weeks after insertion. I feel fine. Sometimes Ill get a dull pain but its very managable. As for my periods. I had it inserted in January, and I just got my period on February 6th, I am currently still on my period. It has been 12 days and I'm not very happy about that, but it has been a substantial decrease in the amount of blood. I use a divacup so I know its gone down at least 80%."

Samm F February 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had my skyla put in May 2015. I have had it almost two years and can say that it was the best choice I could have made. When I first got it I did experience a lot of pain, for at least a month I had very bad cramps and mood swings. Two years later I don't even know it's there. I would very strongly recommend!"

Tb060 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I just got my Skyla today and so far so good. I'll admit, I totally spent the days before the appt reading all the negative reviews and psyching myself out. I talked to my doctor about the different IUD's and we decided the Skyla was most logical because I haven't been pregnant (good bc of the size of the IUD), I didn't want to completely stop my period, didn't want full hormones (just enough to hopefully help with my cramps), and obviously didn't want to get pregnant. I'm leaving for college in the fall so it was important to have some sort of Birth Control for a lot of reasons. I was worried about pain with insertion but it honestly was like a 4/10, just really uncomfortable. Whole appt took literally 10 mins. hoping for good results"

K. Sanders February 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "22, no babies yet. 3 months in, loving it, period only a few days late each month. Insertion went well, took two advils an hour before, pain is like a bad period cramp but was only for like 20 seconds (you got this!) Choose a doctor that's used to doing it :) 6 weeks of adjustment spotting. Doc says it will be more stable after 6 months and I'll have smaller and less painful periods than ever (as of now they haven't been more painful compared to pre-iud). No scares, string is easy to find. Partner felt it once, depends on position. No acne, no weight gain, no noticeable side effects other than the spotting (buy a bunch of black underwear :P Worry free bc for 3 years :)"

Skyla501 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Had my Skyla IUD placed on early October. (4 months ago) and I wish that I could say the horrible pain of the insertion was the worst part. I have had nothing but issues with it since day 1, and I cannot wait to get this dumb thing out of my body....too bad that requires surgery because after some recent pain, bleed, and X-rays, I have learned that the IUD in now located above my right hip bone."

Lolojo February 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I am 6 weeks out of my Skyla insertion. The initial insertion is PAINFUL! I was told it is largely because I have never had kids. It was an intense and sharp pain but it was fairly quick between measuring and insertion. My abdomen was throbbing after. So, I didn't go to work that day and took a few more Advil and a 2 hour nap when I got home. When I woke up, the cramping had largely subsided and into the night I was almost normal. I went to work the next day like usual. Now, I don't even feel the IUD. I have not had a period since. Also, I lost a 3-4 lbs. I was in the pill before and must have lost the water weight. I would definitely recommend getting the Skyla IUD! It is worth the initial pain!"

Hi! February 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I have had Skyla for 4 months now. The ONLY time I had difficulties with Skyla was when it was inserted. I had some cramping but nothing I wasn't use to. I wanted something that did shoot too many hormones into my body but saw the side effect from paraguard so that was why I choose Skyla. My partner says he doesn't even know I have it and I don't even notice. I still get my period once and month but that doesn't bother me. My body should have it's period once a month. Skyla is a great IUD."

123iop February 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Skyla insertion is brutal. I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I have had several plastic surgeries, tattoo removal, broken bones, getting your cervix stretched is worse. I took a Percocet prior to arrival & I was feeling confident that the reviews I read online were an exaggeration. I could take the pain. When she put the sound in my uterus to measure the depth I screamed out loud, I was shocked at how badly it hurt. The good thing is it was over in a few seconds. Next is putting the appliance in, I would have jumped off the table if she wouldn't have had such a quick change of hand. I may have screamed again, I do not recall. I could barely drive 10 min home, when I got home I broke out in sweats and was rolling on the floor in pain."

Peggy Suzie February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I got my first Skyla in February 2014 just months after it was released to the public. I had previously been on oral contraceptives as well as Nuvaring. My natural period is extremely heavy, and lasts typically 21 days. None of the oral medications or the Nuvaring gave me the results I was looking for in controlling my heavy and lengthy period. I was skeptical Skyla would help, but was open to giving it a try. I'm so happy I did because my experience has been amazing! When it was inserted it did hurt, and I was in my bed the next two days with severe cramps. I experienced spotting for the first two months, but once the spotting and the pain went away it was amazing! I got my second Skyla today--three years later. I highly recommend it."

KatieKate88 February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I talked to my PCP about an IUD option for birth control. I went to my OBGYN and he recommended Skyla as I have never had kids. I got mine Feb 2016. The insertion hurt due to the clamp on my cervix. I cramped really bad. Once done I was okay. Once in my car I felt those pesky cramps coming back. I did not go to work that day or the next. The pain was ridiculous. But eventually I was able to manage. It has been a year now cramps are seldom, period is light (I use panty liners) but lasts 8-10 days. I like it but don't. It has its days were we are friends and others enemies."

NellieLuv (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had been on the depo since a young age due to my periods landing me in the ER each month because of vomiting. My body & depo worked well together, so I was disappointed when my gyno recommended me switch to something lighter. Skyla it was. Insertion was painful but over quickly. The after effects are what took me down. Fainting, vomiting, unreal cramping by the time I got to the car & whole first day. Nausea & cramps the next week. Now I just cramp terribly all the time. Every day. For 2 months. That being said, I am thrilled to have mine removed tomorrow. My experience will not be yours, but I do recommend hearing other stories so you can be prepared but do not fear IUDs or your insertion process! Each woman will have her own experience"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had surgery (third laparoscopic procedure for endometriosis) the Skyla was inserted while I was under anesthesia. So I did not feel the actual insertion. I had Mirena at my OBGYN's office without taking anything prior and it was fairly uncomfortable. That said I have no history of pregnancy and a very high threshold for pain. Skyla has been in for roughly three and a half months. My first two periods were fairly normal. And the third was noticeably lighter. Hopefully they'll vanish! (Mine did w the Mirena). Now the bad stuff--Cystic Acne. First month was HELLISH. Super painful cystic acne in my chin and some along my jawline and forehead. So bad they required cortisone injections by my derm. I'm now on spironalactone: improved."

Classysassy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "So, I was really excited about getting birth control because I wanted to wait until my next pregnancy. I got Skyla in June 2015. The insertion wasn't bad, but the side effects were. First, I got a really bad pelvic infection caused by Skyla. I was bleeding for a month straight with harsh cramps. Sex has been very uncomfortable, and also decreased my sex drive. I get horrible cramps even if I'm not on my Period, the pain makes me really nauseas. I also experienced weight gain. I get a normal 3-4 day period still. It's been a year and a half and I'm tired of this birth control. The only good thing is that I haven't gotten pregnant for these past 2 years."

lala2015 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "So I got the skyla about a month ago and honestly I was terrified but I was pleasantly surprised. The insertion took almost no time at all, and it was pretty uncomfortable for maybe a minute? Afterwards I had cramps that weren't killer but still kind of bad. The cramps went away a day or two later... then I got my period. I have had it for 3 weeks now and my doctor told me not to use a tampon until I had my one month appointment. Truthfully that has been the worst part and it better be damn worth it!!! (Reading these reviews made the experience x20 worse)"

chlochlo123 February 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Well to start off, I actually was on pills before this iud, I was bleeding for almost a month so I knew I had to try something different. Let me just say "OUCH!" The measuring part is what hurt the most honestly. Silly me for thinking they were going to measure with a ruler. (Eye roll) since I was a teen (now 23) I have experienced a bad life with cramps. When I was going through this, all I could compare it too was mild contractions. They hurt don't get me wrong but they weren't the real deal. I'm only on my second day with the iud, but I think its going well. I still have crazy cramps but I feel good. I mean, the bleeding stopped so thats a check on my book. I will post again and hope these cramps go away for good. (Fingers crossed)"

MoniCast (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017