User Reviews for Skyla (Page 2)

Birth Control
7.2

1,222 reviews 304 medications
Not Listed / Other
5.2

3 reviews
Summary of Skyla reviews 7.2 1,225 reviews

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "Instead of reading all the reviews, I read my pamphlet and asked a few of my friends who had the Mirena/Skyla. I was nervous, but I didn't think it would be painful because my doctor said it was just pressure. I was on my period at the time of the insertion, and it was probably the most painful thing in my life. I have a really high pain tolerance, and this exceeded my limits. VERY uncomfortable and I bled a lot more than usual. I was shaking and sweating. The following day, I spent taking pain relievers and laying down, but was toooooo uncomfortable to even sleep..luckily it was my day off. It completely stopped my period, and my next period was 9 days long of extreme cramping, and heavy bleeding. BUT, after that its been easy sailing. I've had it for three months now, and everything is going well, a little spotting to no bleeding, and a few sharp pains due from cramping but nothing a little tylenol won't help."

Taylor February 28, 2018

For Birth Control "First of all: take birth control reviews with a grain of salt, EVERY woman is different and will react differently. Do your research, talk to your doctor and choose the birth control method that is right for you. On to my review: I have had Skyla for about 5 months now and I love it. I love not having to worry about a pill everyday or having to go to the pharmacy every month. Insertion was a bit uncomfortable but it is over quickly. I started spotting two weeks after insertion and it only lasted a week or so. My first period was a bit heavy and I had pinkish discharge for a few days after it was over. Since then my periods have been extremely light. I wear a panty liner. It’s more of a brown discharge. I haven’t had any adverse effects and I’m very happy with my decision to get it!"

Cks (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

"I agree to get Skyla on Sep 1, 2017 and as of right now I am still bleeding. I agreed because it was supposed to help me with my heavy bleeding and cramping. Now off and on I'm still spotting every single day I am tired of it and I don't know what to do my doctor recommended to wait the 6 months that after that it should control which is next month I am hopping for the best any advise?"

Noname (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted in December 2017. First of all, the insertion hurt for me, especially the part when she measured my cervix, so I'd definitely recommend requesting the day of insertion off from work, because I felt quite crampy and lightheaded afterwards. Unfortunately thus far the cons have been outweighing the pros in terms of having it. The pros are not having to worry about an unwanted pregnancy, which is nice! My boyfriend has never complained about the strings either. The cons are very long, heavy periods. I'm not talking spotting, but a decent amount of bleeding that leaves me feeling exhausted. I've also experienced a massive breakout before I got my period all over my forehead, chest, back, etc. Before I was on Skyla, I used to get an occasional breakout on my chin before I got my period, but nothing this bad. I'm hoping my periods will lighten and my hormones will balance out if I wait it out. But if things aren't improving in a few months, I think I'll take my Skyla out."

Sabina711 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my Skyla IUD inserted today. I was originally getting the Mirena, but it was out of stock, so I would be getting Kyleena instead. Let me first say, I'm 28 & I have 2 kids. I delivered both naturally. It felt like your average pap smear. The worst part was the Kyleena was not staying in. My Dr. tried 3 times & it was not working out. That's when I started cramping. My Dr. decided to ditch the Kylenna & used Skyla instead. So a procedure that should've been 5 minutes, took about 15 minutes. My Dr. said I was a trooper for having to put up with so many failed insertions. But finally Skyla stuck on the first try. I did have an internal ultrasound immediately after, just to make sure everything was ok. When I got home I took Motrin 800mg. So it took the cramps away pretty fast. I bled for only a few hours. Currently have a panty liner on just in case. I'm feeling much better. I drove myself home. Im hoping this works out. I've gotten pregnant while on the pill and depo."

Anonymous February 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I got pregnant while still having the IUD inserted. The doctor said the IUD was still perfectly in place, but the little swimmer just swam right by and meet up with my egg and then implanted. Haha I would not recommend the skyla just because of my experience. All things happen for a reason tho, my daughter is the best thing that has ever happened to me. We actually named her Skyla. :)"

The Cass February 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I had experienced mood swings with birth control pills, and decided to follow my doctor's advice and get the Skyla IUD as a long term solution. The insertion occured in May 2017. I was on my cycle and only had a couple of Advil pills prior. The clamping of my cervix was horrible pain. I had a follow up appointment to check the placement, I stated to my doctor that I had terrible cramps and pelvic pain, but she dismissed, in addition the skyla was no where to be found. I then had to have a vaginal ultrasound, which resulted in it still in place, but the strings had shifted upward. Pelvic pain, severe cramps, periods lasting for nearly 2 weeks, spotting, and spotting after sex made for a miserable experience. I wanted it out, but my doctor insisted to keep in from 3-6 months. I went to remove in Jan and after 4 tries, she was unable to find, I had to have a hysteroscopy finally to remove, which revealed the strings in knots and one of the T shaped arms twisted around the device."

LJ87 February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve only had Skyla in 2 days now. This review is just on the implanting process. The reviews had me TERRIFIED to get this placed in. They take you in and just like getting a PAP done start the exam. The only uncomfortable part was they have to measure how far to place the Skyla.. but even that was just like a period cramp and was done in 2 minutes. Placing the device is actually smaller discomfort then them measuring it so it wasn’t a problem. So far so great with this, Hope it stays this way!"

Dani2323 February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "It wasn’t great to to have inserted, but it was totally worth it. Discomfort for insert day day 5/10 during and then some cramping off and on for awhile after. I took aleve before and for a few days after. At first, it was awesome like two weeks of bliss!!! No bad or funky side effects, I was lovvving it! Then I started bleeding a lot, like every single day I had to wear pads, or liners. Then I got super clotty for a week or so I began hating it, and getting very bad headaches as well. Then my life went back to normal the blood kind of tapered off, and my periods became sooo light and short!!! I still get headaches but not as bad or as frequent. I’m so glad I stuck with it!! All in all, I’d say it took about 8 weeks for my body to adjust to the iud! I recommend to friends and family who are with one partner and don’t want children yet to get this IUD!"

Kstar317 February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had Skyla for about 6 months now. My acne has never been worse in my whole life!!! I have cystic acne on my chin & red marks all over my face! I wish I would’ve known this before, I completely ruined my face. On the bright side, I haven’t gotten pregnant."

Kendraaaahhhh (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had Skyla IUD in since May 2017. After reading the many reviews about painful insertions I tricked myself out of getting an IUD many times in the past. This time I went for it after having terrible side effects from the pill and depo shot. It was surprising almost pain free except one slight pinch when my cervix was being measured. The cramps after weren’t so bad. Only mild if I moved or worked out during the first two weeks. It’s been smooth sailing ever since! One thing that is interesting is that I still get my period every month which doesn’t bother me one bit. Glad I made the decision to finally get it!"

L.A. February 14, 2018

For Birth Control "Let me start by saying I'm 23 and haven't had kids. Insertion was uncomfortable but it not the worst pain of my life. There was pinching a some slight cramping but it was over in less than 10 minutes and I drove my self home. I went in on my period so that could have helped. I spotted for the next two weeks and had no problems. I started to get cramps about 3 weeks post insertion. Not terrible or debilitating, just worse than I usually get. Then the day before my period started, I got more mild cramps. I started my period and it's the lightest thing ever. Panty liners are all I really need. So far, this birth control has been the best decision ever. I used to be on the pill and the ring and would get migraines during my period week from estrogen withdrawal. I gave up on any sort of hormonal bc for 2 years but got real tired of condoms so I did some research. So glad I decided to go with Skyla because the low dose of hormones doesn't give me any side effects."

kitqt95 February 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my Skyla almost a year ago and I love it! I do still get my periods and my cramps are still pretty painful, but I have unprotected sex with my partner all the time. I’ve never gotten pregnant and he has never felt it either. When getting it inserted, it was extremely painful for me. My doctor, however, hit the Vega nerve so I threw up and pooped so much and had THE WORST cramps. It was awful, but went away within a couple hours. The couple hours of pain was definitely worth how well the IUD has been working! would totally recommend skyla to anyone!"

bekah112 February 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I am almost 50 years old and recently married. I haven't had menopause and I didn't want a pregnancy at my age. I smoke so pills are not an option for me. I was using the Today sponge or the withdrawal method. My gyno told me about skyla and I got one. The procedure was nothing. Maybe a tiny bit more uncomfortable than a pap test. I did fine. Five days after the insertion I started bleeding and I bled for 8 weeks. Sometimes very heavy with large clots. It was scary. My doctor said hang in there it will be worth it. So I did. And the bleeding did eventually stop. My periods are lighter but they come about every 3 weeks now. And when I had my month check up he couldn't find the string and I had to have an ultrasound to make sure it was still in there. And it is. I have no idea how they will remove it when the time comes since the string isn't accessible. I recommend skyla. Be prepared. It's not a pleasant beginning."

Sylvia Rather (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m a young childless woman that first got Skyla put in around March of 2015. This is my personal experience and I cannot tell you if you’ll experience the same things. Positives: Did not get pregnant (had unprotected sex at least once a week with my husband), periods became much lighter compared to what they’re normally like, not having to worry about taking a pill. Negatives: I gained a good amount of weight while on this IUD due to increased appetite, increased moodiness especially before a period, I got severe out of nowhere cramps, tender breasts almost all of the time, and more cases of yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis. Overall, the IUD did its job but the side effects were not worth the benefits. I suggest if you’re one of the few who are suffering from more vaginal infections while on Skyla definitely tell your gyno about it. If I had known sooner that it was the cause of it, I would have removed it."

Illy135 February 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Okay, I’m not gonna lie, it HURTS getting Skyla inserted. But it is sooo worth it. A couple days of cramping afterwards, but my period completely stopped after only a couple of months! I haven’t had a period or spotting in over a year! I had zero side effects, no weight gain, no acne, no headaches, nothing. This is by far the greatest birth control I have EVER been on!!!! I would recommend Skyla to any woman!! I love it!!!! :)"

AmandaMichelle8733 February 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted September 2016. I am 32 years old. BC pills started affecting my moods and sex drive so bad to the point where my fiance and I sat down to discuss alternate options. Since I had Skyla inserted I have lost about 20 lbs. Not saying this is a miracle weight loss device. But I do think the BC bills were keeping me very bloated and causing cravings. No depression or crazy mood swings. No pregnancies. Cons:The insertion hurt like hell. Ovarian cyst pain is back. Some months I get my period at a light rate for the whole month. I start to PMS, have breast sensitivity and severe cramps 2 weeks prior to my period due date. Still low sex drive. The string from the IUD either fell off or the doc cut it too short and the IUD moved up a bit so that it is now just in my cervical canal or completely gone. When I do decide to have it removed, there is no waiting period to get pregnant. All in all I do not regret getting Skyla."

JenniferMarie8285 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my Skyla inserted today- so this review will be about that. My doctor gave me 4 Misoprostol tabs to insert vaginally the night before my IUD placement. I was expecting severe cramping, but I noticed no difference than my regular cramping (day 1 of cycle). I took 3 Advil with it before bed. Before the procedure I took an anxiety pill and 3 Advil.. it felt like a slightly more painful Pap smear. It was not horrific but it was painful and uncomfortable. Deep breathing helped tremendously. It’s over in about 5 minutes. Every person is different, but I was terrified before hand, and I’m glad I went though with it. Don’t let fear of insertion scare you- could be easy peasy like mine."

Magill85 February 2, 2018

For Birth Control "Hi guys, I recently got my IUD(skyla) inserted in me (Jan31 @ 245pm) and I was super nervous. I’ve read many reviews positive and negative ones and that’s why it was really hard for me to make this decision. So I was like what the heck let me give it a shot. The procedure was a little painful, it had me a little jumpy. Only took 5 minutes and I had taken ibuprofen like an hour before I went in, so my cramps was not bad at all. Slight spotting and cramps here and there nothing too dramatic.Since it’s only day 1 I really don’t have any major changes. Just mild cramps. Hope this helps. ^^"

Sky0fTears February 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on the pill for nearly 2 years after I got my first period at 16. I switched to skyla because I gained a lot of weight on the pill. The insertion was painful, it felt like fire had erupted across my lower abdomen. But for all the pain, it was worth it. I lost all of the weight I had gained on the pill in like 3 months. For the first 6 months I spotted every day. For the next 10 months I didn’t have a period. But now I’m coming up on 2 years and I have irregular bleeding all the time with ferocious cramps. I’m on the pill on top of skyla to try and regulate it. Hopefully it helps."

Anonymous January 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 27, no children and intend to stay that way (afraid of the sterilization surgery). I've been on hormonal IUDs for 8 years now and have hardly had a period in 8 years, just occasionally spotting. My Skyla IUD insertion wasn't as bad as my first IUD, the Mirena, but it was still uncomfortable overall. My Skyla comes out in less than a month now and overall it's done it's job but the side effects are what's forcing me to switch to a non-hormonal method after this... I've had ovarian cysts, irregular spotting, vaginal discharge almost every day, ridiculous cramping, more acne than I've ever had in my life (never experienced acne before this) and weight gain (I went from 150 to 220). This is my second IUD and like most IUDs I've come to realize they work great but at a high price so I will not be re-upping, instead I'll try the Paragard next..."

Natalie K. (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2018

For Birth Control "Legit the best birth control I’ve ever been on. I’ve never had kids, tried the mirena 3 different times and the paragard and both were absolute nightmares. The skyla made my period a little unpredictable at first but that’s to be expected and had a lot of breakthrough bleeding during sex in the first 5 months or so. But now my periods are shorter and lighter and I have zero side effects! So freaking happy I finally found a birth control that works"

Ashleeee123 January 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my son 9/25 and got skyla 11/8. I had a c section, so was pretty afraid to get the insertion. DON'T BE SCARED!!!! Take a Xanax or ativan and get it over with. It’s about 4-5 minutes of uncomfortably, nothing major. Then three years of no worry! It’s totally worth it. I had cramps for the first 2 days & bled the first 3-4 days. Then nothing. No spotting no bleeding, it’s awesome not having a period. And not pregnant. I highly recommend skyla to everyone who wants to prevent pregnancy and have no periods."

JoesMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla for one year. Extremely effective as a contraceptive and very little complaints, though I did experience a great deal of pain (bad cramping, feeling weak) for about three weeks after insertion. My period was very light spotting for one or two days out of the month. About a year after having it, I started having vaginal dryness--something I've never had a problem with before. My husband and I decided we were ready to try for a baby, so I had it removed, and we got pregnant the very next day! Had the Skyla removed in September, and our little girl will be here in June. This birth control worked for me, with few side effects."

5280DF (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Skyla about a year ago. The pain was pretty intense when inserted, but settled down over the next few months. I never had any issues with it until I found out I was pregnant with the IUD still in place. I guess I was that .03% category. Turns out I also had an ectopic pregnancy because of it. It was a lot of hassles and headaches and Dr appointments to have to deal with because of the outcome. I will definitely be getting a different IUD once I am able to put a new one back in."

SkylaIUD (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2018