User Reviews for Skyla (Page 2)

Birth Control
7.2

1,286 reviews 314 medications
Summary of Skyla reviews 7.2 1,286 reviews

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "This was a horrifying experience with birth control. The insertion was so painful that I had thrown up immediately after the procedure and cried all night until I finally fell asleep from exhaustion. From then on I began having periodic pain that felt soul crushing and debilitating once a month. Went to four different OBGYN docs and got the “your strings look fine” speech every time. Exactly 1 year later after removal I found out that one of the arms of my IUD was bent upon insertion and had been digging into my uterus ever since. Only good thing about this BC is that I never ended up pregnant."

X July 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I only had Skyla placed for about 4 months, which isn't that long to have your body adjust to the hormones. I switched to this IUD after having taken birth control pills for about a year and 3 months. I wasn't a fan of this IUD's side effects. My skin isn't perfect, but I never used to have major break outs. With skyla, I started breaking out in areas that I never used to break out in around the time of my periods. I was spotting sporadically for the first couple of months, so my skin would just continue to break out. Also, I never used to get terrible cramps, but they just went from a 2/10 to an 7/10 on the pain scale (10 being unbearable). I also experienced intense cravings around the time of my period, and vaginal dryness. Lastly, my periods went from lasting 4-5 days to lasting 11 days, but they were light periods. Because my periods were so close together, all of these side effects would just essentially continue throughout the whole four months I was on it."

Maren July 11, 2018

For Birth Control "When I first got skylar I had about a month of pretty intense cramping and then after that I would cramp each month when I ovulated and then on my period. I had a lot of break-through bleeding and spent about half of each month spotting. I also found myself having pretty severe anxiety while using skylar. It actually got to the point where I got the device out after about a year. My mood began to improve about a week after removing the device and I lost about 10 pounds in the first month after stopping use. I would not recommend this device, it was a nightmare and caused quite a bit of unnecessary pain and cramping."

Ama (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Although it's worked well for a couple of my friends I had a bad experience. I had horrible cramps. A shooting pain down my right leg and a bacterial infection. I had it checked out and all seemed okay but was told that it sometimes happened. Something I didn't anticipate was bleeding gums. Although I have never seen it listed as a side effect I didn't have a problem with my gums until using Skyla. I'd be at work and my mouth would fill with blood. It was awful. The doctor assured me that it wouldn't cause that but once I got Skyla removed it was no longer an issue. Be careful. It's not for everyone and get a good doctor. Mine pretty much laughed my problems off."

VictoriaQueen (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I tried this form of birth control as it was highly recommended by my doctor. The first month my bf complained about feeling it. Went back and had it trimmed by the doctor. The very next month I couldn’t feel it so I went back to the doctor. Turns out it turned sideways and I actually became pregnant. They had to pull it out as it prevent my cervix from fully closing."

Tlr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I love caffeine and alcohol, I never had an issue with it until I started being on skyla. Apparently the drug also increases your hypertension and cholesterol so I had to get rid of this birth control. I was having a-fib after only drinking one bottle of light beer which is 12 Oz. And whenever I ate a small piece of chocolate or drank my favorite Starbucks, I started having palpitations. Caffeine and alcohol never effected me before until now. Plus it messed with my heart and I'm only in my mid-20's. If you can't tolerate alcohol or caffeine anymore, or if your cholesterol levels got high, drop this drug immediately."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2018

For Birth Control "So I'm a little over year 2 of having my skyla inserted. I have birthed 4 boys my youngest being 3 now. I loved this IUD but in the beginning my husband would complain that he could feel something poking him which kind of killed our sex vibe. I had them trimmed by my OB and his complaints didn't happen as often. One thing that I realized which after reading some comments on the skyla is that, I don't want to say I've gained an excessive amount of weight since my last kid but I find that I'm having a hard time losing weight. I've been going to the gym almost 5x a week for 1 hour and changed my eating habits and I expected to lose a little bit of weight and I haven't. I'm really thinking about going to have it removed and just plan on getting my tubes tied. I still have my period but some months its super light and only a few days and others its normal. Has anyone found since having the Skyla that losing weight is hard?"

JeNnIe (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2018

For Birth Control "Insertion was painless and quick for me did not feel a thing but, keep in mind all woman are different because my cousin said she felt extreme cramps. The recovery was terrible for me. I had irregular bleeding for 6 months and pelvic/ cramp pain. Meanwhile my cousin had no irregular bleeding and her period stopped. After recovery my period was back to normal came on time every month and they were lighter and I notice no more cramps like I use to get with my period before the IUD. I do sometimes get mild pelvic pain and that’s because a foreign object is inside the body. It just reminds me oh yea I got an IUD haha. Sex is the same only thing different is my partner can feel the strings depending on the position. Skyla must be doing it’s job though b/c I’m not pregnant! Skyla for me was worth it after the recovery."

Brinao (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2018

For Birth Control "This IUD, sadly, didn't work out for me. I had it taken out 2 days ago. The only reason I give it a 2/10 is because it did prevent pregnancy, which was nice not to have to worry about. However, it wreaked havoc on my body in almost every other aspect. I got terrible acne, random sharp pains in my abdomen, periods that lasted up to 2 weeks, severe mood swings, gained weight, and had absolutely no sex drive. Look, don't get me wrong, I think IUDs are a birth control option worth exploring, but if you are at all sensitive to hormones in birth control like I am, I'd steer far away of this and look into the copper IUD."

Sabina711 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had my Sklya for almost 9 months. I love it. My experience with Skyla has been great. Insertion was not bad at all (24, no kids). It went very quick, was slightly crampy and then it was over. The months following were also not bad. I get a regular period, but it is VERY light, to the point where I am using panty liners or light tampons. It comes at the same time every month and lasts for 4-5 days. The reason I gave Sklya 9/10 is for a couple reasons. 1) Acne. I notice I struggle with acne more often than I ever have. 2) Cramping. Even with a light period, I still cramp way more than I ever have. Sometimes they are deep cramps that I have to pause and breathe through. Occasionally, I get cramping in between periods, but for the most part the cramping is either the week before my period or during my period. However, those two things don't keep me from loving Skyla. I love the convenience of it. I also love that I don't feel hormonal, or moody as I have on other birth controls."

Anonymous June 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Skyla wasn't for me. I will say though, you should give it a try if you are looking to switch birth control methods. I had my Skyla in for a little over two years before I decided to have it removed. The insertion process was extremely painful to the point I almost passed out. After it was inserted I experienced cramping like never before in the weeks to come. Super sharp localized pain in my uterus that I would have to lay down with ice packs and take Advil. My periods went from always being 3 days to literally 7-9 days. Cramps were unbearable for nearly 2 weeks of the month. Sex eventually started to hurt and it's like I could feel the IUD inside me. I didn't experience other symptoms such as weight gain or acne. For me, the intense cramps, long periods and painful sex finally made me decide to get rid of it. Removal process was also a bit painful and I felt so much relief once it was out."

Marcy (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla IUD inserted in late June 2017. I have mild PCOS and irregular periods. I went on Skyla because my period was lasting sometimes 14 days at a time. It was light, but it still felt too long. I chose Skyla because I wanted a low-dose hormonal birth control. I've done at least 4 or 5 different oral contraceptives in the past and Nuva Ring. I had not been on birth control for over a year before Skyla. The insertion wasn't bad. I felt nauseous because of the local anesthetic and had some cramping the first month after, but it was easily controlled with ibuprofen. I started spotting frequently and sporadically only to realize that those were my new "periods" that have lasted sometimes 23 days. I kept waiting for it to normalize but it didn't. The spotting continued. I am switching to Kyleena today, and I don't know if it will be any better than Skyla, but I hope it will. It has been a year and is showing no signs of regularity."

endless spotting June 14, 2018

For Birth Control "Don’t do it. I can’t believe I let the doctor talk me into getting Skyla; I originally went in for the copper but she talked me out of it because I’m 17 and I haven’t had any kids. It has the same hormones as the nexplanon basically: progestin. When I had the arm implant a year ago, I had it for 7 months and attempted suicide, had hair loss, and my acne returned (even after being on accutane for 6 months), and I gained 15 pounds. I took a break from birth control and switched up to Skyla and it is the dumbest decision I have ever made. It’s only been a month and I’m always crying as I can feel the depression already sneaking its way back, whenever I comb my hair or run my fingers through I get about a dozen strands coming out and my acne is, once again, horrific. If you are already on Skyla and going through this, you are not alone."

Lace (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla for 2.5 years before I finally had it taken out. The insertion/ removal were both fairly painful. After insertion, I spotted for a month & felt generally uncomfortable. The random cramping and bloated feeling never went away. Sometimes I would cramp really badly and be doubled over in pain- but this would pass in a few minutes so it wasn’t a deal breaker. I dealt with all this because I loved having a birth control that didn’t make me nauseous for once. The deal breaker was that I gained 10 pounds. I work out 5 times/week, follow a healthy diet, and no matter what I did, I kept gaining weight. My doctor denied this had anything to do with the IUD and instead blamed my getting older. Well, I listened to instinct and got it removed on Wednesday. It is now Saturday. I have lost 5 POUNDS in 3 days. I’m not saying everyone’s experience will be the same, but listen to your instincts and remember you have a continuous medicine in your body. I am SO THANKFUL I finally did."

Zou June 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Hate this IUD. Got it put in almost 3 years ago. The pain from insertion was bad but not the worst thing I have experienced. However, I now have terrible cramps every time I have my period (never had cramps before) and my periods have gotten progressively longer and longer. I'm currently on day 11 and I'm ready to rip my hair out. The only upside is that I haven't gotten pregnant, but part of that could be because for 2-3 weeks of every month I'm on my period and don't have sex."

Katara567 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 18, I was a virgin, I had acne and horrible mood swings WAY before I got the skyla IUD, I got it because of a natural hormonal imbalance. So I got the skyla and it wasn’t painful at all, no kids nothing, I didn’t bleed the first 2 weeks, I was due for my period and only spotted lightly (not even enough for a pad or tampon I would just put a little piece of toilet paper in my underwear it was that little) and that was it. So far I’ve had it for 3 and a half weeks and I’ve only “spotted” for like 2ish days, sex was fine he couldn’t feel it we did however wear protection (we’ve been together 2 years both of us were virgins and we made sure we were both tested and safe, and literally waited 2 years to have sex in case someone wants to judge). Anyway so far I love this I’ve had a tiny bit of cramping, nothing serious at all. I haven’t had it for long but so far I really like it a lot."

laurenashley (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I decided to try Skyla because I was sick of having my period and can't get pregnant. Getting pregnant could seriously could kill me with my high intracranial pressure and small veins in my brain. I have been so pleased since insertion. I have had it in for 8 months now. I had spotting at first and my Ob Dr told me to go back on the pill for 1-2 months and it helped all the spotting to go away. I have not had a single period in the 8 months I have had it in place. I am planning on keeping Skyla in place for the full 3 years. I may even opt for another one since I have no symptoms. Insertion was painless but I have had 2 children already so that is probably why."

kimmieh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Non stop bleeding with Sklya!!!! Interfering with my sex life. Random painful cramps. It gets the job done though soo I guess it's ok."

Dee May 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla for almost the full 3 years. There was some pain at insertion, but nothing you can't breathe through. Deep breaths helped and it was very quick. I went to work immediately after, with mild cramping throughout the day. Afterwards, my period was regular, with maybe slightly more intense cramping on the first day. I didn't have any other side effects (I've taken other birth controls that make me an emotional mess - not so with this one). It's been great to not have to take a pill every day. I recently had Skyla taken out and have replaced it with Kyleena (it lasts for 5 years) so we'll see how that goes."

dkmilton (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my Skyla about a month ago and so far I’m not pleased. I did take 600mg of Advil before. I was not on my period during insertion. It was like having the worst cramp ever for about 3 minutes. The cramps after and for the rest of the night were the worst I ever had in my life. It would come in waves-I’d end up on the floor in tears. The next day was not nearly as bad- I thought it was over. 4 days later I started my period and it lasted for 11 days w/ bad cramps. Normally I go for 2-3 days. I saw my doc for a check as I’ve been having sharp pain on my lower left side here and there and spotting. He said everything looked good but didn’t do an ultrasound. Cramps again after his exam and the next day I started bleeding again! Having some bad cramps and off and on bleeding 4 days after the appointment and I’m starting to feel helpless. I was expecting some symptoms-I’ve had difficulty with hormonal birth control in the past but nothing like this. May have it removed."

Kylie May 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the skyla and made sure it was in the right spot every time! Check during showers and scheduled appointments when I was told to, to make sure it hasn't moved. I found out 6 months before it was going to expire that I was pregnant! It was in the right spot but I still got pregnant. I ended up having a miscarriage right before mother's day of all days to have one!"

Tbsveryfunny (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2018

For Birth Control "This is a review on the insertion. I just got Skyla inserted yesterday 5/18 and I had minimal pain. My OBGYN told me to take ibuprofen before hand (which I did 1000mg). I felt a slight pinch and some pressure but nooo way as severe as other people have experienced. I haven’t had any cramping since insertion ( been about a day so far). Some slight spotting but that was to be expected. I am experiencing some slight bloating going on for some reason but nothing too bad. So far I have no complaints. It feels great to be released from having to take a pill everyday!"

Vika (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I had a great experience with Skyla. It is removed now only because I had it in for a full 3 years. The insertion process was discomforting and I had minor pain the day of insertion. After that, I had a little cramping from time to time. But my period went down to very little. I only needed to wear a panty liner during my periods and they were reduced from 5 days to 3 days. I really liked that part. No discomfort during sex. I recommended it to a friend and she got it too after having issues with Mirena. She loves it more than me. We both had children prior to inserting Skyla. I love it and highly recommend it."

Jen M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2018

For Birth Control "Hello! I am 22 years old and got my Skyla IUD January 2018 at a planned parenthood. The insertion was not as bad as I thought. It felt like a very sharp and localized period cramps. It was definitely an unpleasant experience but focus on breathing to relax. The month of February was kinda brutal in terms or cramps and spotting, but honestly I didn’t focus on it too much so it didn’t really bother me. By March my cramps were gone and so was most of my spotting. I checked my strings pretty frequently and got checked at the doctor twice just so they saw the strings but ladies DON'T freak out over the length of the strings. My periods are on time + 1 day, and I have noticed they’ve gotten longer (7 days) but lighter blood flow. Don’t get the Skyla if you get unsettled easily about your body experiencing unexpected and more persistent things like cramps or spotting. If those things don’t bother you that much, definitely get an IUD."

LH95 May 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I recently had the Skyla inserted after having baby #2. I almost didn’t get it because of the horrible reviews regarding the pain. My OB used some sort of liquid for numbing... not quite sure what it was but before I knew it he was asking me about summer vacation and he was done. I felt nothing at all. I will say I’m going on month 2 and I’ve been spotting since I got it. I’m going to give it another week or so and call my OB to see if there is anything I can do to stop it."

Mimi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...