User Reviews for Skyla (Page 2)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Skyla.

Birth Control
7.3

1,129 reviews 300 medications
Summary of Skyla reviews 7.3 1,129 reviews

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I've had 2 children so the insertion could be described as a mild contraction feeling. Got through it. Take pain mess before and after insertion and plan to take a few days off. Bad cramps and spotting for about 6 weeks but then I've not even had a period now and it's been almost 6 months. So happy with it and acne a bit more but no horrible side effects and it's been wonderful to know I'm not going to get pregnant unplanned again. Takes the worry away and no periods really rocks!"

Kira d (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "It’s a love hate relationship. Effectiveness I love it. I’m 26 no kids and I would say it does the job. Like any bc there are pros and cons. Pros my periods are super light, cramps are minimal, not pregnant, you don’t have to remember to take a pill, and it was $35 for 3 years. Cons I got super depressed the first 3 months of being on it, I never had acne until now and it’s embarrassing it’s cystic acne and I have acne scars and no acne meds help, I have my period on an off for 2 weeks out of the month, I snap a lot at my husband, hair loss the first 4 months on it, and now I have intense back pain to the point I can’t sit or stand. I love it but I’m really considering taking it out in 2 months."

Crutchb September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got my skyla today, so my opinion will be on the procedure. I am 18 and I have never had a kid before. The whole experience was extremely painful. Probably one of the worst I have ever experienced. 9/10. I have been on the depo shot for 2 years and decided to go off of it due to weight gain. With being on depo I didn't get my period and I have never had period cramps before. After the procedure I could hardly get up. I was shaking and felt like I might throw up. I looked at my face in the mirror and I was as pale as a ghost. It is 6 hours later and I am still experiencing cramps and bleeding (slightly). I just hope all that pain was worth what I have heard about Skyla. I will update you in a few months."

Ally101216 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So I was extremely nervous to get an IUD because I heard it was horrible pain to get inserted.... then at my appointment they said I was too small for Mirena and offered to do skyla which I hadn't had a chance to Google or anything so I was a little skeptical. I had psyched myself up for the appointment... so I ended up going ahead with Skyla. The pain of insertion was maybe 8 out of 10 and lasted for 10 seconds. I had horrendous cramps and bleeding the first 5 days after implantation. I recommend taking time off work and wish I had taken more than 2 days off. I had light spotting for about a month and have not had a single period or spotting since. It's been 6 months I lost 15 lbs just from switching off oral pills. I LOVE SKYLA."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I read so many horror stories about the skyla and completely scared myself stupid. Finally, yesterday I went and got it. My obgyn recommended 800 of ibuprofen before hand and even offered a torodal shot (highly recommend) I was also on the last day of my period so this made the insertion easier. The doctor informed me there would be 3 cramps pinches and we be done. The pinches were like mild period cramps to me and lasted less than 3 seconds. After it was over I cramped for 2-3 minutes and it is now almost 48 hours later and I have had no pain or cramping. I've checked for the strings and my period continued as normal and have no extra bleeding today. The little pain to me is well worth not worrying about getting pregnant the next 3 years."

Skyla birth control (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm a mother of 1 and have been on Skyla the past 6 months. Absolutely love it so far."

PhoebeC292 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just got the Skyla inserted today so my review is based purely on the insertion process. My nurse practitioner wanted to measure my uterus before deciding if it was big enough for the mirena, but after an ultrasound they saw my uterus was tilted backward and was pretty small so we chose to go with the Skyla instead. They inserted the speculum, then she did something that cause a pinch (not bad), she measured the uterus and that brought on a bad cramp but it was bearable, and then when they inserted the IUD it felt like a few strong cramps- I flinched but after that initial flinch I held it together. It hurt but it was just like having a bad period with intense cramps and after a few minutes I felt fine and drove myself home."

Mfran September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got pregnant after 6 months of using it. The IUD was removed and I had a miscarriage."

Irenedpf September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I love my Skyla! Someone recommended it to me and I am very happy with my experience. I went to the gyno to discuss the option, did not think I could get it inserted same day ( I read a lot of people get it done while on their period, I was not). It was painful, not going to sugar coat it! But I left the office, took some ibprofin and went to work. Had I known I would feel the way I did, I would have taken the day off. My acne cleared up (I assume that was caused by my BC pills). I spotted on and off for 3 months but since then I have not gotten my period at all. It is amazing!"

smc1229 September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Don't let scary reviews scare you away from protecting yourself! I was so nervous to get the Skyla because I was afraid of a painful procedure but it was not painfully unbearable like I expected, just a little uncomfortable for literally 10 seconds, Then I was done! The procedure is so fast! Plus my doctor was amazing, she explain to me what to expect and she made me feel comfortable. The "worst' part was the cramping I experienced only for the first day. Very light spotting until my second day already having it. I would do it again rather than actually give birth any time soon. Lets just pray the Hormones works best with my body!"

Kehualani12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Getting the skyla inserted was not painful at all. It was just uncomfortable and there was a lot of cramping and pressure but it was over in five minutes. After, I experienced very minor cramping and bleeding. Overall, it was a great experience and I would recommend to anyone who is considering this type of birth control!"

Lauren Lo September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got my Skyla put in today. So initially I assumed I would have a check up before I even got it put in so I haven't taken any pain medicine before. The Dr. putting some numbing stuff and then gave me a PAP. After she stuck a clamp and tried to stick the IUD In but my cervix needed to be dilated because it wouldn't go in. That pain of the dilation definitely hurt and putting the actual IUD hurt. But not like intolerable pain. It felt like the worst period cramp I've ever gotten +1 for like 30 seconds. And I usually get pretty bad period cramps so it wasn't anything new to me. (If you don't get bad period cramps it will definitely hurt) Walked out on my own and went home and took ibuprofen. I'm slightly cramping and no bleeding yet."

Kendraaahhh September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had the Skyla for six months now and love it! I always wanted an IUD because I'm terrible about remembering to take a pill, but I was worried about using an IUD with my small size (5'2 105lbs never had children). Turns out I had no reason to be worried! The procedure went really smoothly only mildly uncomfortable for like 3 minutes. I had cramps and bleeding for two days (no worse than a rough period cycle) then I was back to normal. Bonus: my periods went away a month after insertion! No more buying tampons!"

Jestone22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This will be graphic so you can know what could happen if you get this IUD. I have not had children. When the PA put skyla in, by opening my cervix (hurts extremely bad), she described it as a few cramps but it was nothing like a cramp to me. (I told my sister and she said it is more like contractions.) I cried out in pain and the PA tells me that some women pass out from it because it effects a nerve that can make you pass out, vomit, have diarrhea, etc. She didn't tell me any of that before! I felt so sick, I couldn't walk out of the place until I went to the bathroom to throw up. I also had the other side effect before I left. Since then, I have cramps and spotting regularly. After sex, I have cramping. I wish I wouldn't have gotten it."

BRITT. H September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "First off: don't let the horror stories scare you away! Everyone is so different, don't assume that will be your experience. I have had skyla going on 3 weeks now (inserted 8/21/17) and it's awesome! After being on the pill (Generess) for 5+ years it is such a relief to not have to take a pill. The insertion hurt for a whole 10 seconds and then following was a VERY bad cramp, sort of like it was doing a final adjustment into place. After that I cramped mildly for about a day and a half. I'd recommend having a driver if you live far away from your doctor, as your cramps may vary. Hormonally I feel better than ever, libido and mood is better than ever! Hope this helps"

Cierra97 September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was SO nervous to get the Skyla in. I was shaking. I got it in on my third day of my cycle because my doctor it was easier. BARELY FELT ANYTHING. It wasn't even painful, just a little uncomfortable. The "worst" part of it was the clamp, it felt like a pinch. But I was familiar with the clamp because I've had 2 papsmears before. Don't let the bad reviews scare you. I would do it 10x over. I was able to drive myself home, no horrible cramping, etc. I'm 5'9" and 125 pounds."

Nervous for no reason. (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "After having Skylar inserted 24 hrs ago, I'm still experiencing cramping like I would on the first day of my period, but its not going away with the heating pad. I had mine inserted on the 5th day of my period, but overall I don't know if I'd do this again. I was able to get off the table and drive home, however the pain made me seriously consider popping a kid out of my cervix. Of my other options, I was done with the pill and looking at the arm implant when I was pushed towards the more regional discharge of hormones that Skyla has. Overall just frustrated with the explanation of what to expect as there isn't a week after section on the website."

Anonymous September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My experience on skyla was absolutely terrible. The 5 months I was on this device changed my personality and overall wellbeing completely. It started with cramps, stomach pains, and bloating. Then it started changing my mood, I was constantly moody, sad, angry. My main issue was the recurrent UTI's. I have never had one before until I got the insertion, then I couldn't get them to go away. I was on 5 different antibiotics and nothing worked. As soon as it cleared, it would come back days later. I couldn't even have sex anymore because it would hurt and give me another UTI. I was miserable 24/7. I got it removed about a month ago and have yet to have a UTI & I am overall happier and more balanced. Never again will I use an IUD."

Cflail (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just got this inserted today. I was so nervous for it that I was shaking and fanning myself before the doctor even walked in to the room. It ended up being so simple. I didn't really feel any pain just some pressure for about 30 seconds and then it was done. Since I got home I have had barely any cramping at all...just feels like the day or two before I start my period. I am so relieved and happy. Reading all the reviews on here really freaked me out. I took 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before which seemed to help. I recommend doing the same. So excited to see how this works out!"

Ascott19 September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I switched to the Skyla after having a horrifying experience with the Paraguard (Don't recommend it if you have a small uterus or haven't had kids like myself). I had the Skyla inserted and my experience has been great so far, this IUD doesn't release much hormones and is smaller than the others. I'm very sensitive to hormones and I haven't had many adverse affects. I highly recommend this! Light periods, minimal cramping, no acne (I also don't have acne), no weight changes."

Mitchie D. (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This procedure hurt terribly. I just had it done this morning, and wanted to crawl off the table. The first step where they opened your cervix up a little and had a little thing hold your cervix in place caused cramping, but wasn't unbearable. Then when they go to measure you inside- the second step in the process and the first time something is being inserted- hurts bad. It helped that one of the nurses fanned me. I got overwhelmingly hot due to the pain. The third and final step is when they actually insert the skyla and that hurts just as bad as the second step. Step two and three require something being inserted into your cervix and no joke is incredibly painful. I'd rather get another tattoo. Hoping it was worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I first got the Skyla inserted in November 2016. After the insertion I checked the placement pretty much every day, and noticed I could feel plastic and not just wire. About a week after initial placement I got to the doctor to check and he replaced it after trying to get the original IUD back in position. The placement both times was mildly painful, no worse than my menstrual cramps. Three days after the replacement I got my period. This lasted for 11 days. After this my periods on average last about 8 days. Before they never lasted longer than 5. I have now had the IUD for 10 months and have given up on my period going away. I primarily got the IUD as easy birth control that I would not have to think about. I am considering other options."

Afra92 August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just got Skyla inserted this morning. I wanted to write this review for anyone who is nervous about the procedure or feels discouraged from all the negative reviews out there about IUDs. I went in expecting the worst pain of my entire life and it turned out not to even make my top 5 most painful experiences. It was painful, but it was not unbearably so, and it was over so quickly. About a minute of being uncomfortable (that included the speculum and the positioning of the cervix) and six seconds of more intense pain (during the sounding and the actual insertion). The pain was like a very bad menstrual cramp. I felt nauseous and faint afterwards, but not too bad. I have had some light bleeding, but barely any cramping whatsoever."

Anonymous August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had the skyla in for over 3 months now and getting it taken out in a few days. Ever since getting it put in, I've gotten very sick. At first I thought I had Lyme disease (achey joints, vertigo, dizziness, severe fatigue, inability to lose weight, headaches, cramping) but now realize all these symptoms started after I got it put in. The fatigue, joint pain, and general weakness are what I am suffering from the most and I pray to God my symptoms get better once it's out. I didn't think such a low hormone dose could affect me as much as it has, but I've already gained 20 lbs and ready to get my life back."

Mf1988 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla for almost 3 months now. The first month was bad with pain and cramping, constipation, and diarrhea alternating, and constant nausea and fatigue. The second month my period barely showed up but I was stuck with all the cramping and spotting randomly. My sleeping has gotten much worse. I've been on ambien and lunesta and doxepin, nothing really keeps me asleep. I find that when anything goes wrong I slip into a prolonged depressive state that includes me being on the verge of tears all day every day. The cystic acne comes at all times of the month. I'm getting this thing taken out. Not worth it."

marmstro (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017