User Reviews for Skyla (Page 2)

Birth Control
7.1

1,342 reviews 319 medications
Summary of Skyla reviews 7.1 1,342 reviews

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I got this implant in while I was on my period so it didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would. I’ve had this implant in for 6 months and it was rough just in the beginning. My cramps would get bad but my periods weren’t as heavy as before, it was much lighter. I was 142 now I’m 150 pounds. I don’t go to the gym. At the time I was taking these vitamins for hair growth and the implant made me breakout. I thought it’s probably the vitamins so I stopped taking them and my face got cleared."

Lexi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla for 2 years before having it removed. After having the IUD for 11 months, I started breaking out in chronic hives daily. After visiting my PCP, Dermatologist, and Allergist several times, no one could tell me what was causing the hives. I would get hives from exercising, cleaning, cold weather, and stress. It was a daily occurrence for me and I changed everything from switching to organic foods and reading labels to any products that had chemicals. I did everything possible and the only thing I could think of that I hadn’t changed was having my IUD removed. It has now been 2 years since having the Skyla removed and now the only time I break out in hives is when it is really cold outside. I have read articles that state it can take up to 4 years before your body rids you of the toxins from the IUD. When I mentioned this to my OB-GYN she stated she had never heard of such a thing. My next checkup she told me she had another patient with similar issues."

Elaine December 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 27, got Skyla February of 2017, so I’ve had Skyla in for over a year, the beginning 6 months were rough! Crazy insane cramps & bloating ! Now periods last 2 days or so & cramps aren’t so bad. BUT the side effects... So before Skyla I weighed 125lbs. Today I weighed in at 135lb. I've always worked out, no red meats & small portion sized food! Nothing has changed.... but some how I just keep putting on weight ! Oh I've also noticed my acne increased ! It’s taken much longer for the acne on my face to go away, it appears, then blemishes & I'm stuck with it for months. I got skyla because I just got married and was not ready for kids ! But this battle of weight and acne is really depressing I’m trying to make the decision of removing it ahead of time, needless to say this IUD does do its job but the side affects are starting to be more long term than anything. Super torn"

27 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 30, 2018

For Birth Control "The worse side effect I have had from my Skyla is terrible acne. I am 28 years old with acne like teenager. I kept thinking it was stress causing my acne. I tried almost everything to get rid of my acne. I tried Proactiv, over the counter face washes, Spirinolactone, Curology, etc . Nothing cured it. Then I thought it was my diet. I changed my diet. That didn’t work either. Finally 2 years after inserting my IUD I had a hormone test done and my progesterone levels were high. The Dr told me they were high due to my IUD and the progesterone caused my acne. Another side effect are my mood swings. They are crazy!! Just like the acne, at the beginning I blamed stress or I was overwhelmed. But after realizing that in any situation I get continuous mood swings and I’m not PMSing ,I knew it had to me my IUD. After much consideration, my husband decided to get a vasectomy so that I could remove my IUD!! The Skyla did it’s job, I didn’t get pregnant, but the acne alone was not worth it"

Nana November 30, 2018

For Birth Control "The first day of the insertion, was very painful, when it was It was inserted I had a very sharp pain, but no different from any other bad mensural cramp. I spotted on and off for about 2 months. I had some really bad cramps on and off also, but after the 2 months those are done and I couldn’t be anymore happy I got the skyla. It hormone are low so my mood is amazing and my acne is completely gone. My face cleaned up amazingly. I have no acne.. my mood before on birth control was so up and down I thought I had bipolar but the skyla seems to have cleared that up, also I have no period and no cramps it’s the best decision I ever made I’m completely happy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2018

For Birth Control "Skyla was my 1st ever birth control used I have had it for close to 2 years now. I have had many side effects. Random cramps, long cycles, short cycles, a cycle every 2 weeks, normal monthly cycles. I literally never know what is going to happen down there as far as aunt flow. However, I have no desire to take this out. The whole point of Sklya for me was to not get pregnant and as of today I am still not pregnant. I was aware of the changes and the side effects prior to the insertion so I had mentally prepared myself for it. If u want a birth control where u can set it and forget it and have no side effects good luck. But hey if u do find it please let me know."

CH (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I got pregnant 2 years into having this "3 year birth control". The IUD was perfectly in place when the surprised doctor examined me (as she assumed it had fallen out) and I had to sign a form, basically saying I understood the high risk of a miscarriage and that the doctor would not be at fault if I miscarried after the IUD was removed. I had to have a sonogram very soon after to check for signs of ectopic pregnancy and my high deductable insurance wouldn't cover a penny of the necessary appointment. I miscarried less than a week after having the "perfectly placed" IUD removed. I do not recommend this birth control. And I really don't think it is only 1% of woman who take this get pregnant. I'm on the pill now and appreciate the lack of risk to my body and my future babies if I were to get pregnant. I am still paying off the medical debt from this miscarriage and it was 8 months ago."

Kiersten (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I chose Skyla because of great reviews from friends and to have one less thing to remember each day. Birth control. The day of insertion, I thankfully worked from home. At the appointment, I didn’t expect the pain that I was about to experience. It was HORRIBLE. After, I was hoping to have little to no period. Wrong. I get a very heavy period every month. What’s worse, the pain I experience every single week of the month from excruciating cramps. It’s shooting pain through my abdomen and back. I was hoping it would get better but this was not a good experience for me. Definitely going back to the pill."

Not Pleased (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my Skyla in almost 2 and a half years ago. I got it when I was 17 and I remember I was so nervous to get it inserted because I had read such horrifying reviews but I took 3 advil before my appointment and it wasn’t that bad. The doctor talked me through and it and the insertion process only lasted 2-3 minutes. I remember the last part of it was a sharp pinch and immediately after I was very crampy. I had bad cramps for about 2 days after but I was still very much able to do daily things. I spotted just a little big for 2 weeks following and at the same time I stopped spotting I began to get really bad cramps again. I thought that maybe the IUD had been moved or something but it just turned out that I was getting my first period with the IUD. My periods were a lot more painful and heavy. After 2 months I completely stopped getting my period which is great! Being able to not have to take a pill or use a condom with my boyfriend is amazing!"

Maddie (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m hoping my experience can help others. I’ve had the Skyla since February 2016 so almost two years. I had never been on birth control before (I’m 32) and had always just used condoms but decided to try an IUD. Insertion was nothing, just had some moderate cramps the day of, not unlike a bad menstrual cramp. I had some more moderate cramping and spotting for about two months then everything was awesome! No period, very mild weight gain, no mood swings and no pregnancy! About 5 months ago though, I started having pretty severe pelvic pain. I finally saw a doc last month who prescribed antibiotics for PID but that didn’t help. I got an ultrasound and turns out I have two uterine fibroids and one ovarian cyst, all benign. Doc doesn’t think they are the cause of my pain though and is advising taking out the IUD. For me, Skyla was worth the negatives and It’s not going to be easy to re-adapt to another kind of birth control."

Tahoe Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my first skyla inserted October 2015 insertion is very uncomfortable you feel a cramp across your cervix. Made my period cramps worse the first couple of months but it now a lot better. Just had it removed October 2018 and had new one inserted at the same time."

Ashlee91 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my first Skyla (my first ever BC) a little over 3 years ago. Took some Advil before insertion to help with pain, and yes it was painful but nothing like the dehabilitating cramps I’d get with my heavy periods every month. I spotted every day for the first 30 days. My periods got lighter right away and the pain was minimal. Even though they were still consistent (I’ve always been consistent), my periods now lasted 3-5 days longer! That was weird. That lasted throughout my entire 3 years. I got my new one inserted this past summer and now my periods are even lighter and shorter. Must just take me a looooong time to adjust. I haven’t noticed any weight gain or mood swings directly related to Skyla; it actually helped clear up my acne on my chest and shoulders (but that has since had a resurgence for some unknown reason). It used to be way worse without Skyla. Overall I highly recommend it, but of course talk to your doctor and decide what’s best for you."

ANickName? (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I got skyla implanted in May of 2018 and so far it’s been great! I was expecting horrible pain with insertion but it was nothing like people make it out to be. While the insertion was uncomfortable and I cramped for the rest of the day, by the next day I felt normal. I thought the cramps the day I had it inserted were terrible, but I had never had period cramps before that point, and a friend of mine said to her it just felt like normal period cramps. I have been spotting since I got it, so I can’t tell if it’s improved my periods or not yet. A few of my partners have said they can feel the strings slightly, but nothing that bothers them. Overall I would recommend it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on the Skyla for about a year now. Getting it in is a painful experience. After being on it for a few months I noticed a significant change in my weight and my pants weren’t fitting at all. Fast forward to a year of having it in I’ve gained over 20 pounds and the acne is just horrible. I wish I never went on it. I’m 20yo btw."

Anonymous October 24, 2018

For Birth Control "Implanted at 8 weeks pp. - Slight cramping + spotting, but easier than I expected. I soon began to have mild irritability + impatience, mainly toward my husband and baby. I assumed it was work stress and being tired. 2 months of Skyla - mild irritability became something much worse. I had negative intrusive thoughts. I looked at my beautiful daughter and felt nothing but a sense of obligation. I constantly snapped at my sweet husband. I had 24/7 anxiety about anything and everything. Even my worst PMS was nothing like this. The dealbreaker came when my baby was crying one night, and I yelled at her to shut up. (That’s painful to even type right now.) I had Skyla removed 2 days later. Within 3 days, I was stable, calm, + patient. Most importantly I felt love toward my baby again. I 100% believe that I had a negative reaction to this IUD, and that it made me feel psychotic. Removing it was the only change I made, and I’m my normal self."

Sary (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had my skyla for almost a year now. I vaguely remember insertion, uncomfortable and some pain but nothing I regret. As for positives. Sex is great without condoms, and my periods are not as heavy as they use to be. However, my issues that I have had are pretty substantial. I had consistent bleeding for the first 7 months. Not heavy but enough to have to wear a liner or tampon. With cramping the first few months. Since the 7 months I get a light period every couple of weeks very inconsistent (sometimes for 2 days, sometimes for 2 weeks). I have gotten an ultrasound to make sure it didn't shift, and its seemed fine. They suggested maybe I have a bleeding disorder but blood test seemed ok as well. AND lastly, the past few weeks I have noticed that if I tense up too much (like during orgasm ) that I get a sharp pain, not sure what that is about...Sorry about all that info, just my experience. I'm not sure If I will keep it or get it removed"

hanny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had Skyla for 2 years. It’s the best decision I have ever made regarding birth control. Many reviews spoke about how horrible the pain is when inserted, which is a 100% accurate. However, I experienced this kind of pain from my period which was way worse than that 60 seconds of a pain.if you don’t usually cramp with your periods, than you are in for a rude awakening when the IUD is first inserted. My doctor requires an ultrasound when inserting the IUD to properly place it (Unlike some doctors who blindly put it inside you which is so dangerous!!). I noticed when I stood on my feet more than 10 hours I would get unbearable pains. I felt like throwing up because they were so bad. However these pains stopped around 5 months. I've never had mood swings, weight gain or an increase in acne!! My periods were very light at first but now I can go months without a period or slightly spot for a week or two. I have no complaints as of today! The benefits definitely out weigh the cons!"

rannrenee October 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla for 2 Yrs and 1st I was VERY PAINFUL. The Dr. told me it wasn't painful but I nearly passed out on the table while getting it inserted. I survived that pain and the next year I had NO ISSUES. I went to my OB for my yearly check up and to our surprise the birth control couldn't be found . My Dr then used a camera and saw that it had wrapped around my cervix which was a reason why my legs went numb and I would have weird pains in my side, and as well I had start having blackout spells. I had been to a cardiologist thinking it was a heart issue and he could never find anything. OB discovered the IUD was wrapped around my cervix and I had to have it surgically cut out. I was no longer having numbness to the legs, heart paps and black out spells stopped and my body feels normal again. My Dr said that since Its smaller than all other IUDs it wouldn't migrate and It doesn't hurt during insertion but fact of the matter is she was wrong. I would make this my LAST CHOICE !"

Amelia October 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Skyla and it’s great. I was so scared because so many reviews said it was the most painful experience, but it wasn’t that bad, and I haven’t had any kids. I think the worst part was literally right after they were done putting it in and my body didn’t know what was in it, but after a couple hours I felt like nothing happened. I hardly have a period."

Melissa October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the skyla IUD inserted 6-7 weeks after my cesarean. I previously had the Mirena and the paraguard. Let me tell you! The skyla is supposed to be smaller but it was the worst pain I've ever experience in my life, keep in mind that I've had the other IUD inserted which hurt but nothing like this one. I was in tears the whole time! I was sweating and for the fact I had jumped up when my cervix was being measured they had to remeasure again and the process took longer. Almost 8 1/2 months later my periods last 2 weeks every month. I gained 6 pounds right after the insertion and I workout like crazy. If I can go back on the paraguard I would but since I got pregnant 2 x in a 8 month period after 5 years of being on it I can't. Goodluck!"

Anonymous October 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had the skyla for about a year and 8 months now. Everyone I spoke to who had an IUD said that the insertion was the most painful experience of their lives, so I was terrified going into my appointment. Fortunately, I didn’t find it to be terribly painful at all, and I haven’t had any kids. The cramps afterwards were pretty bad but stopped by the end of the night. It’s a very convenient form of birth control and I don’t regret getting it, but it took about 6 months for my body to adjust. I experienced ridiculous mood swings during the adjustment, as well as intermittent cramps and irregular periods (my cycle was pretty regular before getting the skyla). I spotted every day for the first month as well, very lightly though. Once I adjusted, however, I found my emotional PMS symptoms actually improved. Now I get pretty much regular, very light periods. Overall effective and convenient and I’m happy with it now...but the adjustment was truly terrible for me I must say."

R (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 19, & 115 lbs. Got Skyla in February 2018, was super painful getting put in but pain lasted only about 30 minutes. Everything was great for the first 4 months no period cycle just slight spotting, no pain... starting in June I began noticing my (almost always perfect) skin start to develop very large bumps. It was cystic acne. It snowballed from there my skin only got worse. My face was producing an abnormal amount of oil and the acne never seemed to let up. I tried many differenent acne solutions and changed my diet to more clean eating but nothing seemed to help. I just ignored it and thought maybe college is causing stress breakouts & it eventually will go away. I was wrong. In August I started experiencing severe cramping in my lower stomach. It came about every 5-10 minutes and was nearly everyday until I decided to get Skyla take out which was on Oct. 5. The cramps immediately stopped. My acne is still bad considering it’s only been a couple of days."

Paige October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Just got it yesterday, didn't feel a thing and didn't even feel cramps. It doesn't even feel like it's there. Walked out the office like nothing happened. But my doctor is great also. Everyone's experience will be different. Looking to see what the next 3 years would be like now. Good luck everyone!"

Ann (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Skyla put in and a week later it had to be removed due to PID. I’ve never had vaginal issues (BV, yeast, STD) or anything before this was inserted. Day of insertion I had terrible cramps and nausea that did not let up. By day two I had no appetite, cried about everything (I’m a very happy positive person) and felt so uncomfortable in my own skin. My belly was bloated to the point where I looked pregnant. Day four I check my strings and my vagina is so swollen and sore I can barely get a finger in. Call OB next day and she says it’s probably an infection and to go to urgent care. Urgent care couldn't find the strings and sent me to ER. ER did an ultra sound and found that it was further up in my uterus than it should have been but they managed to get it out without too many issues. I’m now being treated for PID. Doc isn’t sure what caused it since I was tested for infections before insertion."

Max October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I decided to get Skyla almost 5 months ago. The insertion was painful but nothing like what the reviews and stories online made it out to be. It was overall not a bad experience. I cramped pretty bad the day after but that was it. I have been spotting & cramping frequently and randomly since getting it but it is now starting to slow down. My acne just started flaring up this month though. Going to give it a couple more months to see if the spotting and acne become less of a problem. Overall I am happy about it though."

H (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2018