User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 2023 reviews 281 medications

Summary of Nexplanon reviews 2023 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I had my nexplanon inserted 3 years ago from October 2016. Our experiences are unique to us depending on our environment. For me I had the implant inserted a few months before I left to college. College alone is an emotional roller coaster and having this implant just inserted did not mix well. I became very moody and depressed. I visited with a therapist weekly. However I was also in an environment that was new to me and away from friends and family. I too spotted for many months, but within the last 2 years I began to regulate every 28 days. As a birth control it does the job, no pregnancies/scares, however if you're an emotional person or get agitated with spotting I would not recommend it. I will have a nexplanon reinsertion soon."

collegescene. August 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the implanon for three years and it did the job well. Didnt get pregnant and had barely any side effects. Since getting the nexplanon.. never again. After few months constant bleeding lasting more than a month at times. Irregular bleedimg and spotting. Constant headaches effecting work and stopping me getting enough sleep. The GP advised i keep taking paracetomol ... not helpful. I didnt get acne but never have suffered with it. However, the mood swings are out of control and i can feel myself getting angry over nothing at times. I have had episodes of depression and crying and i am usually a very happy person. This implant messes with the body."

Meg2333 August 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Wish I would've listened to the reviews I read. This this is sent from hell, created by Satan himself. I've had it in for 3 weeks and already seeing horrible side effects most women didn't see until they had it in for months. I'm always tired. Always hungry. It hurts my whole arm that it's in. It's caused achy joints in my knees. Constipation leaving me with awful bloating and gassy pain in my stomach. It still feels bruised. My sex drive is completely gone and I can't even have an orgasm anymore. I have no interest in my boyfriend and this all started a week after this thing was in. I'm calling to get it removed today. I can't stand it anymore and it's not going to ruin my life. Try it if you dare, but I would not recommend it."

kkelseyd August 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I got this about a year and a half ago. It's done well as a birth control (I'm not pregnant) but the sideaffects are intolerable. Upper lip hair, mood swings often, depression, some weight gain, fatigue, and occasionally pain at insertion site. I haven't had a period in a couple months and while I like it, I also like my period, as it lets me know I'm not pregnant. I'm constantly afraid I'm pregnant because my period comes so late or won't come at all. Being a college student it's great to have because I'd forget to take the pill but I can't handle the side affects. Ive also read about the implant "implanting" itself into the muscle of your arm...that raises lots of red flags for me."

Not too sure (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on nexplanon for a year. I didn't have any major issues with it. It worked great as far as the birth control aspect of it. But while I was on it I started having a vaginal odor sometimes daily sometimes on and off. I went to the gynecologist and got a check up. All tests came back negative. They treated me for vaginosis just in case but no prevail. As soon as I got the nexplanon taken out the odor went away. Other than that it was great not having to remember to take a pill. And I'm not sure if it was the bc or not but I felt when I was on it my mood was like a rollercoaster. I'm sure my BF noticed the difference but i went from depressed to happy to mad and sleeping a lot."

Disbelief (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 24, 2016

For Birth Control "As far as the birth control working, it does. I got it in May of 2015 and I have not had a period since then and didn't get pregnant. It's convenient. I had it removed because I delevoped HORRIBLE acne it's never been a problem until the birth control. Also I couldnt seem to loose weight before the pill I lost 70 pounds and I couldnt seem to loose any weight and did what my nutritionist and personal trainer told me. Once getting off my face cleared and I'm finally loosing my weight again."

Ilyanna S August 23, 2016

For Birth Control "When I began Nexplanon in Oct. 2015, I was 10 months into breastfeeding my daughter (my second child). Nexplanon was the best fit for my busy life. I had absolutely NO problems with it while I was breastfeeding. No acne, no bleeding, no weight gain, no mood swings, no pregnancy scares..PERFECT! That is until I weaned my daughter April 2016. As I dried up, I had INTENSE uterine pain for 2-3 week . I have continually bled since I weaned her. I have the worst mood swings, acne, tiredness and lack of sex drive. I wouldn't recommend this to ANYONE who isn't breastfeeding! My relationship has suffered greatly and my emotional instability has made parenting a challenge with two toddlers! Getting Nexplanon removed this week and never looking back!"

Nexpla-NO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2016

For Birth Control "At first I found this method ideal! I was terrible at remembering to take the pill and the though of an IUD that could "migrate" (i.e. puncture my uterine wall) was NOT something I was too keen on trying - this seemed like the perfect solution. All was well for the first 6-8 months; my period virtually stopped and I didn't worry about taking a pill or getting pregnant! As the 8 month mark sent in, I started to gain weight (25lbs) but that wasn't even the most troubling side-effect. I started to experience crippling mood swings, I would be driving to work and a song would come on and I would burst into tears. I would get irrationally mad at people for stupid things, and I found myself slipping into a moderate depression. Do NOT recommend."

KatE1989 August 22, 2016

For Birth Control "This is a very effective birth control. Yes you should always use condoms, even though condoms don't protect you from everything!!! Anyhow, I got the Nexplanon inserted on 12/2/2013 & It is to be removed by 12/2/2016. In January 2014, I bled very light for a little over a month, except maybe 2 days of a little heavier bleeding. I haven't had a menstrual since like the second week in February 2014. I have had severe mood swings to the point I could choke someone for looking at me the wrong way. I have become very aggressive, extremely depressed and have cried over the stupidest little things. I'm a CNA, so I've had back pain for quite some time. So I can't tell you if any may be from the birth control. More I can say..not enough space. :("

KayKay in CitrusCounty, Fla (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I've tried 2 other birth control methods before nexplanon which didn't work for me. I've been on nexplanon now for 6 months. Insertion: The insertion process was easy and quick and painless, although I was left with a sizable bruise that I had to explain away to acquaintances and coworkers. Period: I got the injection on day 2 of my period and haven't had a period or any spotting since, which is awesome. Even better? No cramps! Acne: I have mild acne and haven't seen a change for better or worse. Libido: My libido decreased when I first got on nexplanon but it's now back up to its original level unlike when I was on pills. I had an increase in head aches for the first month but now there are no other side affects to report."

CJL010 August 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Near the end of the second does of this Nexplanon [5yr 8mth]. The side affects are catching up and getting worse. Pain in the lower leg that doesn't go away, occasional swollen face, sudden severe headaches, longer and heavier periods, sever mood swings, feeling really sad, can't seem to loose any weight. Starting to affect daily life, oh like my marriage. This is the opposite of how it started, of course. Time for removal. Be sure to read and understand all the potential side effects. Good luck."

OtherLady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the implant March 2016. The insertion They numb the skin with lidocaine and then you don't feel the insertion at all. After it was bruised and sore for a week when touched. A month after I started bleeding very heavy and clots, lots of bad cramps and nausea. That period lasted 18 days all very heavy my doctor said it's normal So I just waited it out. Then no bleeding for about 8 weeks and 2 days after my gastric bypass surgery I started spotting and then it went from heavy to light flow different every day. That went on for 45 days. Then had a biopsy to be sure it was the implant causing the issue. Normal yay! Now back to heavy bleeding 1 week after that stopped. Doc said give it 6 months so I'm waiting."

Rethinking (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016

For Birth Control "Okay. So I joined the military and they recommended this form of birth control to me because "it was supposed to stop your period" there were " no side effects" literally I bled for over a year and maybe 3 months of the entire year I would get a week break. Literally not even worth it. I would bleed so much, my mood swings were terrible, the depression was horrible and I would not recommend this to anyone. I'm currently on skyla IUD and I find it Sooo much better. I did not get pregnant on this form of birth control mainly because I didn't even want to have sex. It kills your sex drive, makes you feel like you're going insane. 3 days after getting it removed is when I finally stopped bleeding and I felt like complete different person."

Heather haslem August 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my nexplanon in Apirl 20th, 2014, I've had it for more than a year. Yesterday, I got my period for the first time since i have gotten it. I was so happy to not have a period, and now after more than a year I have gotten one, it makes me really frustrated and upset. With this birth control, I have noticed a lot of mood swings. where one minute I'll be perfectly fine, than the next minute I'll notice something thats out of place and freak out, so I feel like I'm crazy. I have gained weight from this birth control, which is whatever, but it sucks not fitting into my pants anymore. I honestly don't think i'm going to be going back on the nexplanon train due to the fact that my period came from no where."

Never had this experience (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had this birth control for a year now and I have mixed feelings. It definitely is effective at preventing pregnancy but for me the other consequences are too high. My periods while being on this birth control last for weeks at a time and sometimes seem to never stop at all. For instance this month I had my period for the "average" two weeks and then began bleeding immediately after having sex and that continued for another few weeks so I ended up having a period the entire month. Another unflattering side effect is the utterly strong B.O that is admitted from my under arms that definitely was not an issue prior to nexaplon. Mood swings are promidant as well. It is also not helping me lose weight, whatsoever."

Lexx66 August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the nexplanon implant inserted in January and for a couple of months it was great. I didn't have any bleeding or cramps for about the first 2/3 months. Then I started having my period and it would last around 3 weeks. The first time this happened, I was annoyed but I thought maybe it was just a one off thing. Then about a month later, my period started again and lasted for 3 more weeks. I've called my doctor and they say it's nothing to worry about, but it's incredibly annoying to be on your period for more than a week. I've spent more time in the last 5 months on my period than off it. My doctor has recommended I try a birth control pill to regulate my periods, but I wouldn't recommend nexplanon. It's not worth the hassle."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Haven't stopped bleeding since I've got it (April 2016). It caused me to have slight short term memory loss. Catch my self being very light headed & very tired all the time. I haven't had too bad of mood swings. Easily irritated though. It's just the constant bleeding that I can't take. It is very effective though. It has its ups and downs."

Anonymous August 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had Nexplanon for almost 2 months and it's fantastic. I had one veeeery long period after insertion, but now it seems that I'll be period free for the rest of my 3 years! In terms of emotions, I've found that Nexplanon has made me more clearheaded. Its definitely much harder for me to get upset now. One drawback: my boobs hurt!"

Snickerdoodle16 August 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I bruise easily, so getting the implant looked horrible. I spotted lightly but basically continuously for the first 5 months. I noticed no significant mood issues other than around the usual week and even those were low key. I have had mine a year so far, and despite my aversion to having a hole punched in my arm- I will be getting a new one when the time is up on this one."

Notamama August 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the match stick implant inserted 10/13/14 and now it's 8/14/16 , and as far as pregnancy It's amazing with keeping under control , you can you use protection or not and never worry about pregnancy ( but I suggest using protection) but I have never had bad anxiety before but recently it's been crippling and I have no idea why and in heading it's because of this birth control. I have long irregular periods , irregular color from my normal period before. I notice more discharge and more mood swings and it's crazy. I feel crazy sometimes. I lost 25 pounds within a year tho, I weighed 125-130 last October and now I weigh 104, from stress. You have to have a strong mind to be able to deal with birth controls head games!"

Briannia August 14, 2016

For Birth Control "This was great while I was breastfeeding for about 5 months , didn't bleed at all. Only was a little moody... now I have stopped nursing and I haven't stopped bleeding since. :/ I don't know what to do at this point. I'm also getting bad cramps and horrible back pain. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks now. Plus I'm loosing hair like crazy"

help me my back pain is awfull (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2016

For Birth Control "in September I would have had the implant for a year and I honestly hate it. it hurt a lot when I had it inserted. I had my first period about a week later and it was the worst one I have ever had. before getting the implant my period would last 3 days and I break out a little and bloat, but this first period was ten times worse. I cramped and bled a lot. I had mood swings and nausea severely in the first three months. my face completely broke out. about two months after that first period I started bleeding and having pretty big blood clots for a little over 60 days straight. I have not gained any weight though I have gained some assets. its really hard to figure out when my next period will be. I really wish I never got it."

Maddie999 August 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the implant November 2015. It definitely works as far as not getting pregnant. However, I have month long periods. On a month, then off a month. And I am very emotional.I cry over the simplest things. the emotional part is a deal breaker, I'm getting it removed. But for those who don't have this issue I suggest you keep the implant! It is definitely effective for not becoming pregnant"

Csweets (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I got it inserted in September 16,2013. Reason I remember the date exactly because I was planning on getting it again, but NO WAY!! Don't get me wrong it is very effective, but the side effects are horrible! I'm always tired, barely energized, very moody, like I don't remember every crying so much in my life than the 3 years of having this insertion, and don't let me talk about the bleeding! First year I'll say I barely bled, like every three to four months, and it'll last like a week or two. Now I haven't stopped, constantly spotting. I'm going to wait until my 3 years are up to have it removed but I will definitely not get it again. Wouldn't recommend it to no one"

NeishaLovelyA August 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the nexplanon from 2012 to 2015. It worked great. My usual weight was 119lbs. After about three months into it I started having a big appetite. So thoughout 2012 I gained 20lbs "

Skinny to fluffy August 13, 2016