User Reviews for Nexplanon

5.5

3,626 reviews 314 medications
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 5.5 3,626 reviews

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I'm going in year 2 using the nexplanon..It is definitely effective against pregnancy. The first insertion wasn't painful but the bruise after was HUGE. I haven't noticed anything different about my mood.. Haven't had a period while on it. I do think I have gained more weight than normal but I can deal with that. No acne, no bleeding, no unusual mood swings... I LOVE IT! I rated a 9 because of the weight gain, but again...it's the increase of appetite that I struggle fighting."

WenRae (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2018

For Birth Control "This is an extremely effect form of birth control which was amazing at first, but within the first 2 weeks of insertion, I gained about 10lbs, and I started breaking out with acne. So I thought I’d give it some time and then the spotting started, and it hasn’t stopped since. I have been on Nexplanon for about 4 months but now I’m having it removed because I’m basically on my period 24/7."

Kenz (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Nexplanon since 16 yo (currently 24) & just got it taken out. I loved it because I didn't have to worry about taking a pill every day & it was really affective. I had nonstop spotting for a year, but it was light & didn't stop my sexual activities. After the first year, I got a period every few months or less. However, I had it taken out recently because I realized it contributed to my anxiety & moodiness. I was overly emotional, but I never thought it could be because of my birth control. I got it at 16 (during puberty) so there wasn't an extreme change from how I was feeling then. However, over time, I realized that my anxiety correlated with my random periods. My doc said some women can have too much estrogen which can cause anxiety & mood swings. I had the implant removed and started feeling better. What a shame, I loved having no periods & for it to work so well as a BC."

wzz October 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I absolutely hate it. I got it in Sept 2017. Got pregnant with twins Feb 2018. And starting in Feb I was spotting every 2 weeks. No menstrual from Sept to Feb. Now its just unpredictable menstrual and spotting."

Darcy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the implant almost 2 years ago because I am terrible at remembering to take a pill and I really don't want to get pregnant. Almost immediately, I had some crazy mood swings. Those have gotten better and now I only have them once every few months. My period is absurdly irregular. Recently, in the span of two months, I was on my period every other week. I have also had months were I went without a period. Yes, I have experienced weight gain. Yes I have irregular bleeding and mood swings. Yes, I occasionally have bouts of depression. But I get through those pretty easily and I'm not pregnant!"

Bakerlady (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2018

For Birth Control "It worked for one year. Then I started having pain in my arm where the nexplanon was under the skin. Then I had a menstrual cycle that lasted over 7 months straight. I went to my doctor several times in reference to this issue. I finally made the decision to have the it removed. I’m still having pain in my arm from my arm healing. Which has been over a year ago. I can not recommend this product for women. I’m not the one that’s had this health issue with using nexplanon."

Unhappy lady (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Works great in preventing pregnancy. I feel bad for those with frequent periods, but for me- total opposite. Shut my cycles off for the entire 3yrs. As soon as it expired, period came like clockwork. I went over the removal date by two months. My mood was so horrible, super depressed (I have major depressive disorder anyway, but this was almost scary) had the second one implanted a month ago & I feel a lot better. Maybe it balances me out, but who knows. It works well for me."

Kelzie (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Nexplanon inserted about 7 months ago. My experience has not been as bad as the ones I have read on here, which is why I am leaving a review. Since insertion, I have not had my period (which is kind of nice). I don't experience any of the mood swings or depression others talk about. The only negatives I have noticed, are occasional acne, and I have gained 10 lbs since then. Not sure if that is specific to the implant though, it could be other factors."

RE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2018

For Birth Control "For birth control it works AMAZING at preventing pregnancy, but the garbage it comes with is not worth it. I struggle to remember taking the pill, and this implant seemed much better than IUD insertion. I got it put in, all seems well, and I get my period on time. But the period never goes away and its a downward spiral from there. I kid you not I bled heavily for 7 months straight non stop, and suffered greatly because of it. My depression became horrible, chronically fatigued all the time, painful cramps, frequent dizzy spells, and I developed a slight iron deficiency from losing iron from so much bleeding, to the point to where I had to go to the ER from almost blacking out. Do not get this product. I was an idiot who ignored the reviews and stories, thinking I’d somehow be different. Don’t make the same mistake I did."

AestheticAddict (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst birth control ever"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2018

For Birth Control "It started off great I had no periods then I went to being slight periods & spotting..& now I’m on my second year with it and is been bleeding for about a whole month now and I’m back to spotting. Everyone's body reacts different to birth controls but I wasn’t like this with the shot so I’m over it - I can’t go on bleeding for this long"

Netta October 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I loved the idea of how convenient this birth control was but if you’re anyone who suffers from any type of anxiety or depression; I strongly suggest you don’t try this method. I had the worst experience of my life with mood swings, lows and lots of crying even while taking anti depressants with the birth control. I only had it for 4 months and immediately felt the difference in my body. Crazy how an inch rod can do some damage."

Dest (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Nexplanon about a year ago and it has been horrible. I've had very long periods and horrible mood swings. Lately I have been extremely anxious and then depressed. My poor boyfriend does not know what to do anymore or how to help me. I cry for everything and even for no reason. I made an appointment to take it off cause I cannot take it anymore and it is affecting my relationship. I have also gained 20 lbs since I got this birth control. It is horrible"

aitb09 October 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I bled for 6 months after getting this and had bad mood swings. I finally got it removed and am going on the pill instead. "

Cch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been using it for about 7 months now and the first month it made my period a bit heavier but now I have really light periods every now and then. I haven't had any other issues with it at all, I'm so glad this exists. I'm 18 so this is a much better solution for me because I have a hard time remembering to take the pill and I'm too scared to get anything in my vagina (like IUD) except for a condom lol, anyways all in all a very good product"

Anathema (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I tried to do a lot of research before getting this birth control implant, but apparently I didn't do enough. I would not recommend this birth control to anybody. In the weeks right after I had the Nexplanon inserted, I had the absolute worst mood swings. I was horribly irritable and depressed for absolutely no reason at all for about three weeks. I had some mild cramping and spotting all throughout my time on the Nexplanon, but nothing crazy like I've seen in other reviews. However, the deal breaker for me was the insane weight gain that I experienced. I gained 20+ pounds in less than 6 months on this birth control that would not come off even with a very healthy diet and regular exercise. I made the decision to get the implant removed and it was the best decision I could have made. As soon as I got it out, I had dropped 5 pounds in three days. I started to feel like myself again. If you have weight issues, DO NOT get this birth control. You will regret it!"

avsgirl1996 October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Nexplanon about 5 years ago, and I’m on my second round. I was horrible at remembering to take the pill and just wanted something that would prevent pregnancy. 4 1/2 years into this, I’m considering getting it removed. I’m almost 21, I still break out like I’m 14, I wouldn’t say I’ve struggled with weight gain, but I can tell my hormones are way out of wack. I’m so emotional all the time and I was also recently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder- I think this could be a contributor. This first couple years on this birth control were great. I had a period once every 9 mo., then once every 6 mo., down to once every 3 mo.. At this point, I’m having periods that will last 2-3 months, go away for a few weeks, then come back. I would recommend this to those who can’t make the commitment to taking the pill, but be prepared for how irregular your periods may become."

Sid October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I first thought this product was great. But a few months after insertion, it caused progressively worsening mood swings, depression, and anxiety. Additionally, my periods became even longer and heavier as time went on. After about a year and a half, I went to my OBGYN and started crying for no reason. She said, "Did you know depression is a side effect of Nexplanon?" Of course, I had no idea. I made an appointment the very next day to take it out. As soon as they took the implant out, I instantly felt better. Daily pills may be a pain, but they're MUCH better than this damn product. Don't put this in your body!"

CP (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm on my second round of the nexplanon and for me and my body, the only thing I've experienced was the irregular bleeding and some minor weight gain. After a while, my period just comes every other month. I never really had cramps or super heavy periods and this just made my periods even lighter. I have experienced some weight gain but when you get into a relationship and you're happy you obviously are going to gain weight. I began to just eat healthier, portion my food, always drank hot green tea after my meals, drink LOTS of water, and exercise and I lost majority of all the weight I've gained. Ladies, just remember mind over matter !"

KP (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I read reviews but still tried nexplanon for birth control and regret the decision immensely. I bled so much that I had to go to the ER. The bleeding was constant for 3 weeks before I could get an appointment to get the implant removed. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone. Worst birth control experience ever."

Divineglory (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "The main reason I wanted to try the Nexplanon was because of my sister. She’s going on her 6th year now and has never had a period, except for the first year. Selfish of me to think I’d get the same results, right? I’ve had it for about a year and 10 months and I’m getting it removed in 2 weeks! The first year wasn’t too bad, no periods! Besides some spotting when I first got it in, but that was expected. Year 2? Terrible. I get 2 periods a month that last a full 7 days and it’s heavy. Before I got the Nexplanon my periods were not heavy at all and lasted 5 days at the most! I’ve also gained 30 pounds over the year. Yeah, it works...I’m not pregnant. But the constant periods are NOT worth it. Glad I’m getting it removed!"

MSSmommy (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Nexplanon for 2.5 months. I experienced major mood swings, acne and gained over 25lbs. It was convenient in that I didn't have to worry about a pill each day but I couldn't handle the side effects. As soon as I had it removed, I lost 4lbs the first week. I ended up going back on Portia (pills)."

Jewels (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I was 16 when I decided to get nexplanon and I was very ignorant about the whole subject. All I knew was it was a little bar in my arm and I wouldn’t have to worry about a baby for at least 3 years, sounds great right? The whole 2 years I was on it I constantly bled. And sometimes it wasn’t bad just a little spotting but then other times it was real bad. It was always so uncomfortable, my poor boyfriend had to deal with the backlash from the drug as well. And not only did I bleed but odor was involved too. It was so embarrassing. Nexplanon I believe really does prevent pregnancy but with all the side affects I would have rather stayed on the pill. When I got my bar removed I was terrified. You hear all the horror story’s about it breaking in your arm and it getting stuck but honestly as long as your doctor knows what they are doing then it’s a perfectly fine removal. If I could go back I would have avoided nexplanon all together and I would have saved myself years of discomfort"

Kay October 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the implant in February of 2018 (8 months ago) and expected the horrible side effects to subside by now. The past 7 months have been continuous bleeding with only a week or so between periods. I have always been petite in size and with no change to my exercise and diet, I have managed to gain 15+ pounds thanks to this birth control. My sex drive has completely dissipated. What used to be regular hormonal breakouts (prior to Nexplanon) have turn into chronic cystic acne. My predictable PMS mood swings are now consistent emotional highs/lows mixed with unreasonable depression. I'm exhausted all the time, my skin is horrendous, I can't shed the weight, I'm literally crying right now writing this because of how negatively it has effected my personal, academic, and work life. The convenience of Nexplanon is NOT worth the suffering. I am getting it removed next week."

moll October 5, 2018

For Birth Control "So I only had this birth control for 4 months & my experience was the worse I have ever had with birth controls. First the insertion process was a little painful & also the healing. Followed by the scar it left. I had no periods during this period. But I did have cramping followed by no sex drive or sensation. My anxiety got worse than ever & eventually started experiencing depression to the point I started having suicidal thoughts so I decided I had had enough & got it out. The doctor that removed it did such a bad job she cut me in all kinds of ways to removed it that I even passed out. This birth control is very dangerous."

Wondergal (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...