User Reviews for Nexplanon

5.4

3,697 reviews 314 medications
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 5.4 3,697 reviews

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "It is not worth it to me & I am going next week to have it removed. It does work as far as not getting pregnant, but it has caused several issues for myself. I have always had migraines but not nearly to the point that I have them now. I have been diagnosed with chronic migraine (having 15-20 migraines a month) & they are intense. I didn't realize that the drug was doing this until I talked with my Dr. about it & she said it can make migraines worse. I have bled a lot while on this! For the 1st 3 months after insertion I bled & my dr. kept telling me it should stop & to try to hold out. It finally did stop & then now I have just stopped bleeding after being on my period for 5 weeks straight. I was bleeding so much, my lining in my uterus was extremely thin & I didn't want to bleed to death, especially with already being anemic. I would suggest trying another BC method or hopefully if you decide to get it done, you won't have the same side effects I did. good luck!"

Anonymous December 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my nexplanon inserted three years ago. Honestly it’s not worth it. The only pro I have to it is the no period side effect. I gained so much weight in the past three years (roughly 130 pounds) I was always super anxious, I honestly thought I was a junk food addict. I went to drs and etc to stop the constant cravings I had. I always felt tired and bloated and I was not myself. I got it removed the 16th of November. I lost 6 pound without even trying. My boyfriend told me my attitude was so different and I wasn’t always so anxious. I'm almost 4 weeks with no junk food and I feel great. I do not recommend this type of birth control. But everyone is different. Hope my review helps."

Adrii (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had Nexplanon for about 5 months now. I got it in July. Everything with it has been great except I've been nauseous on and off. I have had my period everyday so far with a couple of days here and there that I don't. I would suggest though that this is the best option for birth control. Everybody's body is different though so don't stop yourself from getting it just because you've read a few bad reviews. If you get it and you hate it then get it taken out. I'm going to leave mine in unless the side effects get worse."

Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I had this in for almost a year. Although it kept me from getting pregnant and having a heavy period it ruined my mental health. I didn’t really make the connection to my birth control (I just thought I was having a hard year) until my family bought it up. After I got this birth control I became a completely different person and my relationship actually ended because of all the fights I was picking and my mood swings. I got really horrible depression and it changed my bubbly personality. Once I got it out I was able to bounce back and be my old self. I’m sure this drug works for some people but it made me super emotional."

Don’t December 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm a 21 yrs old. Nexplanon was inserted March 2016. Debating whether I should go through this again or try an IUD, although the reviews for IUDs are worrisome. Anywho, Nexplanon has kept me preggo free the entire time. The side effects are tough to get over. The first year and a half was horrible. I went through the worst depression/manic mood swings I have ever experience. I would be happy one moment then raging anger and sad the next, it can be testing for relationships. I never experienced weight gain but a little over a year into it I noticed hair falling our. Scary clumps of hair will just come out when I brush my hair. My diet never changed and exercised regularly. Never experienced acne nor cramps. What I have been experiencing is irregular periods. I will get one or two periods lasting 5-7 days each month or no periods at all for a month. The flow is also irregular, sometimes heavy sometimes super light. It's pretty effective at preventing babies though."

Vimmy December 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I got nexplanon inserted in early March, I’m 20 years old as I write this and it is December. When I tell you that this birth control is making me lose my mind I’m not over exaggerating. My mood swings are ridiculous and I will cry out of no where for at least thirty minutes at a time. My depression has gotten so much worse that it’s hard for me to get out of the bed and it has never been this bad until I had this inserted in my arm. I’m getting it removed in two weeks and I just want it out! My libido has dropped I never feel in the mood even though I just recently got engaged."

Batgirl98bdh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I had nexplanon for a little under two years. At first, at 16, I loved it. It took a lot of pressure off of me, because teen pregnancy is like a curse in my family. I experienced little side effects, mostly just small random periods that lasted about three days. For about a year after the first three months I received no periods. Around six months after the implantation I had a check up, suggested by my doctor. I found out I had gained 15 pounds, which was a lot for me. Since then I have went from 175 lbs to 210. I have had depression and anxiety for most of my childhood and adolescence, but the past two years have been the worst. I experience bouts of sadness that force me to stay in bed for days. I have at least one extreme migraine once a month. Daily I feel like a different person. Sluggish, overweight, disgusting, sad. I am going to the doctor to get it removed tomorrow morning and I do not plan on getting any type of prescription birth control for the rest of my life."

ken (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my nexplanon inserted October of 2016 I've had it for two years now. the first six months were heaven no period and no pregnancy scare. My side affects started off bearable dizziness, shaky, nausea, spotting etc. After about a year it started getting worse I went a week straight depressed I would cry randomly without a reason. After that went away I was fine for about 2 months. Now I’m at a point where I overthink constantly to the point where I can’t even keep up with my thoughts. I have anxiety attacks I'm always depressed I’ve gained weight. I even started doubting my relationship and neglecting my partner because of the over thinking. My emotions sky rocketed and I’m glad to say that I’m taking it out this week. I wouldn’t recommend any long term BC because no matter how great not getting a period is, out bodies don't liked to be mucked around with. Also the side affects just took a toll on my everyday life and I can’t take it anymore."

kb December 4, 2018

"The only reason I got the implant was for medical reasons. I had severe/immobilizing cramps every month that sometimes sent me to the ER. Birth control pills made me throw up all night no matter what brand I tried. I’ve only had my nexplanon in for about 2 or so months and I strongly dislike it. I understand it takes about 6 months to get used to but I’m not sure I can wait that long. Horrible mood swings began after the first week. My period hit early and I’ve had nonstop spotting since then. I get randomly nauseous and I notice I have more and more stomach aches. FYI, I eat a very healthy diet and I work out 5 days a week. My body is retaining water more than normal and I’m very uncomfortable. Haven’t felt very well since I’ve gotten it. So tempted to get it removed. My boyfriend even noticed I feel sick more often than not. It’s not a fun time."

Chinko (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2018

For Birth Control "With my experience, I will warn people of what it can do. My body didn’t have a good reaction. At first my body thought I was pregnant and I gained 20 pounds in a month, then at the end of the month I was vomiting for 10 hours and was sent to the ER. No one knew what was wrong. My heart rate was 260 when I walked in. I’m 20 years old I had to stay the night. I had chest pains and nothing was wrong with me. Labs were clear, CAT scan was clear, I was sent home. I couldn’t pick up my child, I was short of breath, I couldn’t walk up the stairs without feeling like something was sitting on my chest and I couldn’t breath. Medical professionals didn’t think to ask about my birth control, so I kept telling them but “this is something different” so at my follow up appointment I got it out. As soon as I got the birth control taken out I could breath again. It had flooded my body with hormones; but hey, I wasn’t pregnant. I mean my period lasted 3 weeks out of the month but I wasn’t pregnant"

Ky December 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had the nexplanon since June 2016 and will be expired on June 2019. I will say I have never had a regular period since I have been on this type of birth control. It’s quite upsetting that I’ll never know when my period is coming or leaving. I either have a very small amount of brown blood for 3 days or as long as 2 weeks or a very sporadic and annoying (small and large) amounts of blood (red, brown, clumpy) for 2-3 weeks which destroy every pair of panties I have. I am 25 & I am just ready for it to be out of me ASAP due to the cost of organic tampons and pads I run through every month since I realized that all the other brands make my insides itch. I have tried everything from pills (too forgetful), depo shot (my fav), nuva ring (felt it was unsanitary), IUD (ultimate fail & worst pain & horrible reviews when having sex), to the nexplanon & I'm over it in totality."

Trouble (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had the implant for almost 10 months and the only side effects I’ve experienced are spotting and not having a period, haven’t had one in 8 months which has been great :) . I had one normal period the same month I got the implant it lasts 7 days which is normal for me. I would recommend this birth control but remember birth control does affect everyone differently"

BubbleGum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2018

For Birth Control "It’s been over a month since I got nexplanon. I’ve been on the pill and the shot. Both were a negative. I decided to try another birth control to help ease my period cramps and heavy flow. I chose Nexplanon. And so far, it’s pretty convenient. A 3 year birth control that is painlessly inserted in the arm. The only “uncomfortable” part is the numbing agent administered. I got it on the week that I was due for my period and never got my period that week. But less than a month later I did get it. It lasted for almost 3 weeks. Cramps were at times unbearable and my flow was heavy. I do have mood swings here and there, not necessarily any depression. And the constant, random feeling of nausea. But my libido has actually improved. Greatly! The doctor and nurses did inform me of the side effects I’ll have to deal with before the birth control normalize everything. To just be patient. So the convenience is worth the wait. Not everyone will have these side effects, so unless you try, you won’t know."

Mae (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the nexplannon implant for almost 9 months . It did it’s job by preventing pregnancy but the side effects were to much for me . Depression was by far the worst . I've never had problems with being depressed but this implant changed my entire mental state at times and I did not like that. I felt like I had no control over my emotions . After a few months my periods stopped but I still bled at random times, sometimes I had very light bleeding for weeks which was annoying. I had loss of appetite most of the time which caused me to lose 15lbs . The implant is very convenient because you don’t have to remember to take a pill everyday and I noticed my acne was reduced greatly but for me the cons outweighed the pros . Depression , weight loss , and random bleeding are the three reasons I decided this birth control wasn’t right for me ."

C (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I was super excited to get this put in after having my second child because I have always been on the pill and hated it. I have had the nexplanon in for 3 months and I have been so severely depressed that I had it taken out this morning. I have been in such a dark place for the last several months between that, the extreme mood swings, and bleeding CONSTANTLY I can say I would never recommend this product to anyone. SO TERRIBLE! If you already have depression or other mental health issues I definitely would not have this put in."

Lilbitshellb87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I am very unhappy with my Nexplanon for its side effects but am giving it a 5 because I haven't become pregnant, and it's very easy to use (just needs inserted by a doctor, lasts a long time, don't have to remember to take pills, etc.). I had never been on any type of birth control before. I first tried to get an IUD, but the doctor couldn't get it in, so I had Nexplanon inserted at the end of May 2018 and all was well until the end of that June. I began bleeding (lightly, but still have to use pads and tampons) and haven't stopped yet, even though it is now the end of November. Every time I call my doctor to see if there's anything they can do, they say this is a "normal side effect". My husband doesn't mind, but I constantly feel gross and my sexual drive has plummeted. There have only been two weeks (NOT consecutively) where it's been light enough that I didn't need to use a pantyliner. I'm wondering when and if I'll ever feel normal again."

Elaine Amy November 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had the implant for 9 months now. Since I got the implant I have had CRAZY mood swings, Migraines, and severe cramping. Even my depression medications stopped working since I got the implant. At first the Dr said wait it will smooth out. Just got worse. For the past 3 months I have been very nauseous as well as cramping to the point I live off Midol, and migraines that are so bad I stay in bed a lot. This was NOT the medication for me. Time for the removal in 3 weeks. Can't wait to be back to normal. I do not suggest this to anyone I know. Me, my older and younger sister all had issues to the point of removal before a year."

Meme (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2018

For Birth Control "Horrible birth control. Had massive issues after the first year. I started having seizures that I didn't have before. Mood swings and life in general was a struggle. I now have to be check by a neurologist every 6 months because of how my body reacted to this birth control. Never again and I always tell my friends to stay clear of this form of birth control."

Mrs E (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2018

For Birth Control "Sure this form of birth control will stop you from getting pregnant, but it will also stop your sex drive altogether. Not only that, but I have had severe depression since the implant which is worse than normal. It is a stressful, mind-changing, and terrible form of birth control. Only good thing is you won't get a baby, but sex isn’t even enjoyable on it. it’s just terrible I do not recommend."

anon (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I freaking love it. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 out of 10 is the first two months. The first week or so I was quite weepy, and the first 2 months I did have an annoying amount of spotting. Since getting used to it, I have had zero periods or spotting. I thought that would make me nervous, because I typically get nervous when I miss my period, BUT knowing how effective it is has massively reduced my anxiety about accidentally becoming pregnant."

Anna (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2018

For Birth Control "Nexplanon is THE WORST. I got it inserted about a year ago and at first experienced consistent spotting for about three months. My GYN told me that this was normal and that I should wait until six months to have it removed so that my body regulated. My periods became so irregular that I would be on my period for a month and then have nothing for two months. Worst of all was the crippling anxiety and depression I experienced from this BC. I didn't feel like myself, would have dark thoughts, panic attacks daily, and even resorted to going to therapy regularly and being placed on anti-depressants. After a year of awfulness, I'm finally getting this removed in two weeks to get my life back hopefully!"

Annido (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2018

For Birth Control "It’s good for preventing pregnancy, but it caused my depression which my family has a history of so I would not recommend because of that and I also got arm pain long after it was inserted. It wasn’t sore it was like a stabbing pain the occurred randomly"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I actually love the nexplanon implant and I’ve tried just about everything else including pills, IUD, and depo shot. I don’t have to worry about taking a pill on time or changing a nuva ring at all. Like the IUD once the implant as been inserted you don’t have to do anything with it for 3 years. It had not caused any weight gain and I’ve been on it since March (almost 10 months). In the beginning I experienced some moderate cramping that ibuprofen took care of. One complaint I did have was that I started my period about two weeks after having it placed in my arm and the period lasted twice as long as a normal cycle and then I continued light spotting for nearly 8 weeks. The spotting was super light, but enough to get on my nerves. I had two slightly heavier than normal periods and then stopped getting one altogether the last 2-3 months. I have however experienced some mild cramping occasionally. I am really glad I stuck out those first few months of annoying spotting."

Nickinickinicki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the implant put in December 2017, I am writing this comment in November of 2018. I have not had a regular or predictable period since I had the implant put in. As a birth control, it is effective. My partner and I have sex w/o condoms, I can tell you I have not gotten pregnant. However, the side effects, for me, have been to overwhelming for me and I’m getting the implant removed because of this. I’m constantly nauseous, moody, irritable, depressed, uninterested, and experience constant headaches that turn into migraines at least once a week. That’s the least. As I write this comment I have a huge headache and I’m nauseous."

SideEffectOverkoad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I got nexplanon inserterted in March, and since then I haven’t gotten a single period which is nice, but I have gained 45 pounds since I have started. Getting it removed today"

Katie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...