User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 1945 reviews 280 medications

5.9
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 1945 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I Have had the implant for 4 months now, the first month i had no bleeding and thought it was wonderful, I am now on my 3rd period this month! Bled for 5 days had a week off bleed again for 6 days had 2 days off and bleeding again! Am considering taking it out. The only good use of it is not worrying about taking a pill everyday, but all these periods are interfering with not only my love life but aswell as my job."

Kirstyd293 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "My Nexplanon was implanted January 2015 and was immediately amazing. No periods, no pain, no mood swings, no weight gain, and no babies. Now its been about a year and a half and I was prompted to leave this review after seeing some horror stories posted around the web involving this medication. The only change I've noticed since the first week I had it include light spotting (happened 4 days ever out of 18 months). My insurance covered nearly all of the expense, and the spotting is quite a fair trade for no more painful PMS or ultra heavy periods, and no unwanted pregnancies."

Betsyyyy July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I am new to Nexplanon - about two and a half weeks - so I cannot speak to long term use, but I thought I'd use this forum to chronicle my experience. So far, no major issues. I had it inserted on the first day of my first post-abortion period. The period was a bit heavier and lasted longer than my normal, but I knew the post-ab period might do that. I continued to spot for the new week and a half, but I've been two days spot-free. I have experienced a couple bad headaches (which isn't typical for me) and what seems like a loss of appetite. I exercise frequently, and my muscle soreness has increased, but I cannot confirm the implant has had any affect on that. So far, I'm looking forward to sticking this out. I'll update as use continues"

Meow Say-Tongue (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Nexplanon for 1.5 years. For the first six months I bled almost every day. After that I would have a period every month, but that also involved a lot of spotting. Sometimes I had my period for a couple of weeks. I never knew when I was going to have mine- it was never around the same time. I noticed a change in my mood (always up and down), weight (gained), and an HUGE increase of acne. The only positive thing about having the Nexplanon was not worrying about taking a pill every single day."

KarenAS July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the nexaplanon implanted 3 years ago and getting another, and I've seen bad reviews on this. However my experience was great with it, I didn't get any heavy bleeding or periods almost immediately after insertion, some spotting not heavy and lasted for about 2 days, I didn't gain weight I lost about 30lbs with it, and my face is tremendously clear it didn't give me acne. My mood swings are maybe bad at times but nothing major, I don't have to worry about getting pregnant the chance are low. It's in my arm and it's sort of cool to show proof of birth control in your arm to your partner or whomever. It's painless when inserted however I did bruise for 3 days but it wasn't too bad "

Ariesxoxo July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had this for almost 4 years now and I love it does its job I had my period for a couple months the first time I got it and didn't have once for 6 months to a year had spotting very rarely so I'm not complaining except I was bleed Brown blood alot for weeks which really sucks and not to mention the mood swings I have but nothing I couldn't handle.Best birth control I ever had."

Trizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I had this implant put in last August so it has been almost a year. It really intensified my depression the first few months, but I am fine now. For the first few months, I had regular periods. But since March of this year, I've been on my period non-stop. My doctor recommended that I get it removed. It also has made my acne worse. It is really bad on my chin and jawline now, which were not problem areas before. I guess the only good side is that I haven't got pregnant with the implant in. But the effects are awful."

QueenA19 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on this birth control going on my second year, I haven't noticed any weight gain, and I have had very few periods. It was the perfect solution for me because I could never remember to take my oral contraceptive this I don't have too. I am due to have this out in December of 2017 and I don't think I will get another one but it has been very nice having minimal periods"

Ally....b July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the nexplanon sometime in March after I had my daughter . I was fine until 3 weeks ago , I started having terrible mood swings and really bad anxiety attacks along with depression. Before I was pregnant I had it in for 3 years and had the same experience but I didn't think anything of it at the time . until it came back twice as worse this time . I took it out yesterday so I'm hoping and praying I go back to normal asap . I wouldn't recommend it at all !"

Mems214 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the nexplanon inserted March 2015 .... at first it was ok but the second month I bled so much and had sooo many blood clots. After 3 weeks it was over but I have mood swings , I'm lazy and gained weight out of control"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I had this birth control in for about 6 months. Getting the birth control in doesn't hurt a bit, mine bruised pretty bad afterwards. I spotted for about 3 and a half weeks after I got nexplanon put in my arm and have not bled since! I did though have CRAZY mood swings and always felt really bad and said sorry after but that doesn't make it okay. I was so so irritable and annoyed at every single thing. I was so unmotivated when this was in my arm, I went to the gym 4 times in 6 months and I used to go everyday before. I was tired all the time and felt exhausted after 4 hours of work! Lastly, I was hungry, to the point of feeling sick, every 3 hours if I didn't eat! I didn't bleed after the first month, but it wasn't worth it for me!"

Delaney647 July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "Had nexplanon inserted may 31st had a period 7 days later after finishing my pill ever since then I've had no spotting or bleeding at all. Only thing is I've noticed is that my sweat tmi has a more pungent smell than before and I've broken out in spots but nothing unmanageable. So far so good."

Anonymous July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "*Best Things: no periods at all and SUPER effective. Very low risk of pregnancy, even without using condoms. Gained a little weight but very little compared to the pill, almost no bloating. *Worst Things: After first six months I had horrible acne, and it was everywhere. My back, my chest, my face. So severe I needed acne medication and I'm in my mid-20's and rarely had acne before that. After two years I realized it was almost impossible to shed pounds. My sex drive was gone completely and I had a sort of numb, depression feeling most of the time. After 3 years I had it removed, my mood and sex drive sky-rocketed almost instantly. Been off for 4 months and all acne is gone."

JRWeb94 July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I received the implant in May 2015, I loved it at first. My implant never hurt, I didn't have a scar or anything. However, my mood changed drastically. I went through anxiety, depression and I gained almost 30 pounds. I've always been very active so the weight gain was unexplainable."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had this thing in my arm for almost a week and i feel like a basket case! I am crying all the time and angry about everything. I feel depression creeping on me. I know not everyone has this same experience but be careful! I have been clinging to the Lord this week. I couldn't imagine how things would be if I didnt know myself well enough and I didnt know Jesus. Needless to say this thing is coming out asap. I was going to give it a month but I don't think i can last that long!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I and 24 years old and had Nexplanon inserted at the end of January of 2016. It has been a relatively tough adjustment. I now struggle with cystic acne, even on my chest and back, especially around my period. I still get a period every month, except now it's not like clockwork where as before it was. I will say it is much lighter. I am more moody around my period than I used to be. Good news is I haven't gained weight, noticed a change in my libido, or gotten pregnant. I will more than likely call my dermatologist or OBGYN to get a prescription for my acne. The side effects aren't the best but they could be worse. I would take not having an unwanted pregnancy over acne any day."

Ssmith14 July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my birth control in August 2015. After getting the Nexplanon, my period was non stop until just about 2months ago. It's light bleeding and very easy to deal with. However I am so sensitive and its hard dealing with it. I get mood swings and sometimes horrible episodes of anxiety/depression. My arm has been hurting recently and I'm due to et it taken out in 4 days. I will be going on oral birth control. One of the pros I realized with my implant is I have not experienced any serious weight gain!"

Noname123456789 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the nexplanon inserted march 1st 2016 and i have made an appointment for it to be removed....the only good thing from it is only spotting for a few days a month and it does its job to prevent pregnancy but i can pretty much cry on command now...i get mad over the tiniest things that wouldn't have mattered before i got this...and also ive gained atleast 20 pounds without a single change in my diet..definitely wouldn't recommend!"

Anonymous July 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I absolutly love it. A month after it was inserted my period was crazy heavy. It only lasted a couple days. I have now had the iud in for two years and have not had my period since that horrid volcano eruption. I am 25 pounds heavier, but I can't say if it is from nexaplon or just my metabolism naturally slowing down. I have had anxiety and depression prior to use, it has not gotten any worse. Basically you either love it or hate it. I am glad I chose this birth control method, although I may choose to change methods when it comes time to take it out. I would rather be able to lose weight and use a different birth control method."

Agirlandherbc (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2016

For Birth Control "When I got Nexplanon I bled for 6 months straight, however, my period was light and manageable (I was very active in sports). My doctor prescribed an oral birth control to help regulate my flow and I took it for three weeks. I didn't get my period for the next 18ish months. The last year of my BC came with very irregular spotting and occasional periods. With Nexplanon, I noticed my mood was pretty sensitive when I was bleeding. I did not experience any weight gain. Overall, I have loved this birth control. My husband and I have used this as our SOLE method of protection and are confident with it."

Jenny876 July 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I had nexplanon and was irregular. Took tests once when I I'm pregnant. Tests showed negative"

Jackylor July 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I've seen a lot of negative comments and I want to share mine to show people you can have a positive experience with Nexplanon. I got my implant December 2013 and am coming up on my 3 year mark. For the first couple of months on Nexplanon I had irregular periods, some lasting over 2 weeks at a time. Needless to say it was awful. However, after those two months, I stopped getting a period. I have experienced no side effects since then and have been absolutely satisfied with my birth control. I've read that a lot of people gained weight, but I actually lost over 15 pounds since being on Nexplanon. Obviously every person has a different reaction to birth control, but overall my experience has been amazing and I wouldn't choose anything else"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had it for about a year now and I haven't had a period at all since the month after I got it inserted...awesome yes..but I've also gained about 50 lbs...not so great..I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I want this thing out asap so I can lose the weight with no complications from it. I hope to get it removed soon. Will miss the lack of periods but no not miss the weight."

NishaB (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had this implant for 3 months and I absolutely love it!!! I gained a bunch of weight on the pill and had horrible morning sickness and still had terrible periods (the pill was supposed to help my periods). I spotted for a few days after I got this implant but I haven't had any bleeding since!! I don't have to worry about taking the pill every night and I love it. I know it doesn't work for everyone but it's worth a shot. I would absolutely recommend it!!"

Anonymous July 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I would rate this with a negative number if I could. I got the implant in October of 2015. I loved it the first month then everybody noticed my attitude changed for the worse. Along with that I have anxiety which I never had before, depression, and sometimes it feels like a panic attack. All of a sudden I will get this intense feeling of sadness and burst into tears, for NO REASON! My memory is terrible now, I feel like I forget everything. After several break ups with my boyfriend he stayed with me but the mood swings are killing us. I just made my appointment to get it removed. I cant wait for the old me to be back!"

Banana Panda July 22, 2016