User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 2967 reviews 300 medications

5.7
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 2967 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I got Nexaplanon before I started college because I was afraid I would forget to take the birth control pill I was on every night. I've had it for 2 years now. The first year I gained 30 lbs, which I thought was just the freshman 30, and I had trouble with my menstrual cycle because sometimes I would have my period for 3 weeks at a time. Year 2, I barely got my period and when I did it was for a short period of time, but I gained an extra 50 pounds. I'm not the type of person who eats out all the time and eats unhealthy food, but I ALWAYS craved hamburgers whenever I would eat out. Today, I just got my Nexplanon removed because of the 80 pound weight gain I had and it was affecting my health. Overall, the Nexaplanon worked great."

crothie16 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "When I first put it, in 6/2015 it was fine. After awhile my arm would hurt and itch. I would get moody every so often and I would spot every few months. And only one time I bleed for over a week. No weight gain till 2 1/2 year later when I gained 35 pound's. 10/2017. I'm ready to take it out. It makes me want to eat more."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Yeast infections, moodiness, depression and numbness in fingers were my side effects. Not to mention the insertion and removal of the implant. Just not a good drug FOR ME overall."

acm112 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had nexplanon for about a year and a half now, and I think it’s worth it. The only thing is I get a lot of spotting but it doesn’t bother me because I just wear panty liners every day. Sometimes the spotting stops for months at a time and I get pregnancy symptoms like breast soreness and lower back pain, which can really freak me out but the spotting always comes back. I would definitely say the worst side effect I’ve gotten is the weight gain. I gained 30 pounds while on nexplanon and I work out every day and maintain a healthy diet. All in all, birth control is always going to have negative side effects, and it’s really up to you if you want to put up with it or not. Every person reacts differently so I would give it a try."

Erinbear192 October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on the Nexplanon for a year and a half. When I first got it everything thing was good. I had periods regularly and they were pretty light. I enjoyed not having to set an alarm or worry about taking a pill daily. So far it has protected me from pregnancy. The last six months periods are painful, hard to lose weight, I am extremely moody, anxious, and depressed. Any thing can set me into a crying spell. Having a impact on my relationship because of my moods. I'm debating on whether to take it out and try pill by mouth but I'm second guessing it because of the convenience of not having to remember to take a pill and currently my significant other wants a baby and I'm not ready! But moods are TERRIBLE!!"

Unique133 October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Hi All, I gave this BC a 5 because while it didn't work for me. It might work for someone else. BC seems to be a by-person thing. I have two friends that liked this while my other friend and I did not work well on it. My friend and I both have ADHD and have had previous situational anxiety. On this birth control I became very nervous all the time and was extremely sensitive. I cried at least 3 times a week over little things. Which is extremely not like me. I actually lost weight because of high anxiety. When I got it taken out, I turned around 180 degree. I can joke around and I feel like myself again. I have been off the medication for about 2 weeks now and have not cried or been nervous once. I feel stable."

w/ ADHD Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had it for 3 years now. Once placed (if you don't have health insurance or its not physically killing you) good luck getting it out. Not even after telling them I've been fainting at work and going to the hospital multiple times. The only thing they tell me is "well you still have 2 more years til we have to take it out so we have to leave it in" I've been begging doctors and hospitals a) over south Carolina and get the same response every time. I've had my period since I got it put in. Imagine being on a heavy flowing cramping ovarian cyst period for 3 years. Yup thats me. Constant diarrhea, skin rashes, break out, cramps, head aches, back pain, dizziness, nausea, fatigue. I will warn every women wanting to get this NOT to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Kaybear936 October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started out sooo pro-Nexplanon. I got it inserted in Jan. 2016 and it was great. In June 2016 I got diagnosed with major depression and anxiety, which I have never struggled with before. Since then I've felt un-human. Detached, emotionless, fatigued, I haven't felt love for something in over a year. I figured it was just bad luck until a couple of weeks ago when my body started rejecting every thing I ate. I'm choking down mashed potatoes as I type, but I know they'll come back up later. I looked into other reviews and I guess severe depression and constant nausea are two common things with Nexplanon. I'll be getting it removed ASAP :("

lissylissylislis (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "*7 month update* I have gained like 6 pounds since I got it inserted, I feel hungry all the time. But since the insertion I've only had my period 3 times and it has completely stopped which is great! Beware that it does make you moody and grumpy. I have noticed that I am more tired lately I'm not sure If it has to do with the nexplanon but I hate how moody it makes me. Otherwise it's an okay birth control. After insertion I had minor headaches for a few weeks which is rare for me but they went away, and my periods got lighter and lighter till they stopped. This is only my personal experience and you will never know how well this will work for you unless you try it yourself."

Girlgal October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am approaching 3 years on Nexplanon and do not regret it at all; I will certainly get a 2nd one. They only side effect I experience is irregular bleeding, however it is almost always very light. I personally manage this with washable, reusable cloth pantie liners. The benefits of high efficacy, low drug interactions, and little active management far outweigh the minimal side effects I experience."

NexplanonUser123 October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had Nexplanon for 2 and a half years and for the last year I thought I was going crazy. I have had the worst mood swings and horrendous anxiety and anger towards my loving boyfriend. I have had ZERO sex drive for the last year and I feeling of dizziness a couple of times a day. Some days I feel great and then BAM I wake up and feel like my world is ending. I can easily sleep for 2-3 hours in the afternoon and the nightmares I have a night are awful. I am a completely different person on this drug and I can not wait to get it out of my arm and in the bin. PLEASE read the reviews before you consider getting this, this is the second time I’ve had this and I have no problem for 4+ year priorI cana't wait to be a normal person again"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "The 2nd / 3rd week was hell, I felt nausea, aches, cramps, and going to classes was a chore. For the next 2 1/2 months I didn't have a menstrual cycle which was worrisome because I didn't know if I had gotten pregnant of not. But then it started for three days so my fears lessened, another month without a cycle and it came around the same time as it had before. No real change in my period besides it lasts a week to a week and a half now, and then stops, It's much more irregular than when I was on the pill but I don't have it as frequently so I don't worry so much about pads or tampons every month. I'm reaching the 9 month mark and now I have an itchy bump form in the area where the implant is for two mornings but they go away after 30m-1hr."

MaryVinl18 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on it for a year and half and absolutely LOVE IT! I had no weight gain, my hormones seem stable, I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I would recommend this to anyone who can't remember to take the pill or doesn't wanna do the shot. LOVE IT, HIGHLY RECOMMEND."

Anonymous October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got that thing put in my arm at the end of Jan 2017 and I say that's the worse thing I could've ever done. I had a headache about an hour after I got it put in until about 6 months later when I had it taken out. I had a period the whole time, then a ear infection the month after I had it put in. I've been having heart flutters since I got it and abnormal bleeding too Each to there own but it raise the heart attack and stroke risks by like 60 percent. I wouldn't tell anyone to get this - period. I hate what it has done to me I've never been to the hospital and doctors office this much in my life until I got this but now I feel like something is always wrong with my heart. Don't get this we are guinea pigs to them. Stay away."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I gave it a 10 because its "effectiveness" is true, it doesn't let you get pregnant. That's our end goal right. Yes side effects happen, all birth control has side effects. I spotted a lot the 2nd and 3rd year of the first one I had. Yes mood swings at the end of the 3rd year. I chalk that up to the birth control running out. I would suggest getting it out at least a month before its due to be changed. I waited a week before and the hormones were freaking stupid crazy and I felt pregnant. It all went away when I got the second one put in. Overall I love it. It did its job of not letting me have a baby. Not everyone is the same. Try it. If you don't like it then take it out. Try something else. Its not rocket science."

Hippiechick9114 October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Honestly my time on nexplanon was awful. My period was irregular but when I got it the bleeding would last for 3 weeks at a time. I had to have a tampon in 24/7. I followed my typical eating habits and workout schedule and gained at least 20 lbs in a 6 month time span. I got the worst acne of my life honestly so bad and had literally zero sex drive so there was no point for this thing. My mood swings were insane and I honestly felt like a different person. I kept waiting to get it out thinking these things would have to resolve but nope never did. Thank goodness my removal was easy! I got it out and things went back to normal relatively quickly. I know everyone reacts differently to birth control but I would not recommend even risking it"

Anonymous111111 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am approaching the 3 year mark. In the first 5 months, I gained 30 pounds! It has become very hard to loose the weight. Other then that period was normal the first year, second year the period was lasting 8+ days, spotting, towards middle of second year my arm has been going numb, it seems to be on a nerve, it will cause cramp like pain starting at the birth control site all the way down to my fingers, extreme lower abd pain and lots of migraines and headaches. I have an appointment to have it removed as I can no longer tolerate all the side effects. I rather take a daily pill then have this any longer."

Lulie (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am 25, & have been on the pill since I was 16 with no breaks. I was on lo loestrin 24 FE for over 4 years, until I got a job where I was traveling more, with less of a set schedule in which I was constantly stressing on if I had taken my pill that day or packed my pills. I talked to my gynocologist about other options & she suggested Nexplanon. It seemed like a great option. I asked her if I would experience any side effects & she said she thought I would be fine. I set a date to have it put in. I got really freaked out reading reviews on the internet & almost didn't go through with it but I am SO GLAD I DID! I didn't have any spotting after my normal 3 day period, my mood has been wayy better, & I have actually lost weight. I love it!"

Morganjooones (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "After starting this birth control I had the amazing side effect of no period for six months. After that six month grace period had ended, I began to get my period once every two weeks, sometimes more depending on how often I had sex. Also, it became a lot easier for me to gain weight once I had this implant. I gained 20 lbs in one year and am still working on losing it. My mood swings have been all over the board and I find myself feeling depressed and anxious more often than not."

M$ (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had Implanon for 3 years, Nexplanon for 3, and just got my 3rd one put in today. Here's how it usually goes (for me): First couple months, I get random spotting (not much blood at all), but super annoying because it's approx. every other day. After that, for the rest of the 3 years, I don't get a period at all. No mood swings for me. On the 2nd device, it would randomly itch and I'd break out in a bit of hives around it, but that went away after the first few months. For me, the benefits (no period, assured birth control without having to take/pay for a pill) far outweigh the initial annoyances. I recognize that I'm lucky and lots of other people have different experiences."

nvisibility October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had this in for around five months now , when I first got it in I bled so bad for the first two weeks I became anemic , the bleeding stopped eventually but my period were very irregular and random I didn't bleed for around three months but I just got my period and I have the WORST cramps nonstop I feel nauseous and its never been like this before it also made me gain a lot of weight, other than that its very easy insertion and you don't have to worry about it unlike the pill or other birth control methods but I don't know how I'm feeling about it now"

sydney cera October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Previously I had been on birth control pills, and was looking to try something that had multiple years of coverage. While I did like that it was a long term contraception option, the side effects were unbearable, and I ended up having it removed after only one year. The main side effect that was bothersome was the daily spotting. The spotting ranged from a heavy period flow to a smaller lighter flow. However, it was EVERY SINGLE DAY. I ended up having to wear a tampon or pad just to save my underwear. My OBGYN recommended multiple options to stop the spotting, however nothing helped. Other side effects included a weight gain of 10 pounds and unexpected mood swings. I immediately felt 100% better after having it removed."

NurseKatie33 October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had the implant for about 6 months now: I LOVE IT! Nevertheless, like with any other contraceptive method, there are side effects. For me, I haven't had my period in 3 months. BUT if you do your research and speak to a doctor, you'll realize that this is perfectly normal and not harmful to your health. I haven't had any migraines, no weight gain, no pain, nothing. I am okay with not getting a period - I'm just as healthy. Remember: just because it did not work out for you, does not mean that it won't work out for others. So, do your research before, during and after getting a contraceptive. Stay safe and give it try, if it doesn't work, take it out. It's not the end of the world; don't just bash it. Every woman's body is DIFFERENT."

ROCKSANDSMOMMY (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm super torn about how I feel about Nexplanon. The first year was great. I did gain weight. I've gained between 15-20 pounds. I weight more now than I ever have. Instantly, my periods got lighter and shorter. When I hit the one year mark in April, everything changed. My periods are all over the place. They're between 9 and 16 days apart, they're heavy, and I have really awful mood swings. I also have horrible stomach ALL the time now. I'm seeing a new gyno in a few weeks and hopefully he will have some insight. Again, I was super happy the first year, even with the rapid weight gain."

Jenniferx33 October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Nexplanon is definitely effective if you don't want to have a baby. I've had it for 3 years and just got it replaced. While I was on it , my periods were irregular , light and longer but not painful. I had no issues with weight gain or weight loss. My moods were regular. I did notice when my nexplanon was expired , my mood swings were crazy and I uncontrollably ate and gained couple of pounds. Now that I'm back on it, my cravings and moods have improved, but my period is way off. Like it's been almost 31 days and haven't seen any sign."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 3, 2017