User Reviews for Nexplanon

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control
5.6

3,186 reviews 308 medications
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 5.6 3,186 reviews

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "Inserted more than 6 months ago. Afterwards my arm was sore but kept wrap on and took Ibuprofen to relieve pain. I have experienced breast tenderness and light frequent periods. Before insertion my periods were heavy but have not experienced this since insertion so I’ve very pleased with the outcome. Gained a few pounds but not complaining, might be because I’m happy. Definitely would suggest this birth control to a friend. I read the reviews and was concerned but have been pleased so far. Did have an IUD before and ended up having it taken out."

CC72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I got this birth control inserted 3 years ago (my time with it expires in March). Getting it put in was VERY PAINFUL. Yes they numb the area BUT the numbing process burns. Almost like someone but a lighter up to your arm for exactly 30 seconds. I have gained a lot of weight and it’s been very hard to lose it. My cramps gotten tremendously worse (past 10) my periods barely came and if they did it only lasted a couple days. I’ve experienced dizziness and headaches. My skin started to develop large painful cysts in my thighs, underneath my breasts, and in my armpits. Chin hair began to grow rapidly and it’s embarrassing when your family notices and your significant other. I've wanted to get it removed the first 2 months but I didn’t have the money to pay for it to be removed. If you’ve been diagnosed with PCOS like myself I would recommend staying away from birth control and try to do it naturally. Exercising, eating right and keeping your stress levels low."

Dayja February 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had this for one year now and the most important thing is that I haven't gotten pregnant yet. The downside is my sex drive is really low now and I have gained about 7-10 lbs since I got this. At first, mentally, I was fine but now I feel very moody all the time and everything makes me emotional. The plus side is after a year I only got my period 3 or 4 times and they were really light about 2-4 days. The insertion was quick and easy! No pain at all, in fact, I looked away for a second while the doc was readying the insertion thingy that pushes in the Nexplanon and then she said all done! She immediately told me to feel it and told me to make sure I can feel it at all times. The days following I made sure to not put pressure on it to let it heal and now it feels normal and when I press on the insertion site and I have no discomfort. Its great not worrying about my period but I always have bloating and I feel fatigued all the time, also now I am breaking out more than I ever have."

lalal831 February 20, 2018

For Birth Control "The insertion was quick and painless, with mild bruising around the site for a few days. When I got my first period after having the implant, the bleeding didn't stop for about a month and a half, but it was mostly light spotting and my doctor said it was normal. After that, I haven't had any spotting or bleeding at all! I've noticed that I'm more hungry than before and I have gained a little bit of weight from that but it's worth it to not have to remember a pill every day. Overall very satisfied with this implant and I would recommend it to all my friends."

HJR (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I got in September 2013 or 2014. I was pushed by my mother to get it at only 13. At first periods were normal, sometimes a little irregular but was told it was normal. I gained a good 100lbs. Then when the three years was up and I was getting it removed, the original doctor who put it in put it in too deep and my new doctor had to dig with his own finger getting around the scar tissue. He left a scar as big as his finger. You can visually see the scar tissue in my arm. It makes a v shape. Got a new one in a new spot and everything changed from there. Gained more weight, acne like no other, no periods whatsoever, extremely moody, depressed, filled with anxiety, bad thoughts, wanting to not be alive, feeling very distant from everything, not feeling real. I’ve never had any of these things up until I’ve had this thing. Planning on getting it removed, 6 years is way too long. I want my life back."

JenaBB February 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Got this birth control exactly a year ago. Read up on it and ignored all the bad reviews. Even my sister (who had insane acne ever since she got it) warned me, but I still got it. A huge regret, at first it was just effecting my mood in a bad way and then now (a year later) My skin is bad, bumpy and red, I have way more body odor than I used to, nearly balding. Bad hair loss, crying at random things, can't lose weight, low sex drive, no energy, getting migraines here and there, my vagina and menstrual cycle are completely out of wack! I will say this birth control does its job of you not getting pregnant, but in my opinion not worth it at all. This birth control has changed me."

Vitam (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the nexplanon implant inserted two weeks ago. Since then I’ve broken out in huge hives all over my body that show no sign of dissipating. I also have gotten a yeast infection (my first ever) and my hormones have been so completely out of whack that I can barely function and I'm a wreck. Last but not least, the one time I actually was able have sex while “benefitting” from my new fancy contraception, I was so dry we needed lube. That’s never the case. STAY AWAY!!!!!! I actually cried from relief after it was taken out. IN 2 WEEKS!!"

Should be banned (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2018

For Birth Control "worse birth control ever.. I had it for 1 year and had it removal bc it gave me the worse acne ever.. I had hair lost..no period...no weight gain bc I was always watching my diet and trying to exercise.. many mood changes.. headache"

empcar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Nexplanon inserted July 2017. The insertion was not as bad as I thought it would be, and after insertion my arm was a bit sore. Nothing drastic, however. I had regular period for 3 months after, and then they stopped. I never spot, and I never have any cramping pains. For me, this is a great option because I do not have to remember to take a pill, and this lasts 3 years! I would say do it if you think it will be beneficial. My side affects may be acne, but I also started wearing more makeup on my skin. My acne is concentrated on my cheeks, which involves hormones. I have not noticed any unusual weight gain."

Hannahwilliams22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2018

For Birth Control "Backstory: I had implanon for 3 years and replaced with nexplanon. I had it removed 2 months ago. The good: I didn't get pregnant and my cramps weren’t as severe. The bad: I was moody all of the time. Sex was repulsive. I became extremely depressed. I randomly bled 3 weeks out of the month. I gained 30 lbs in 2 years without changing eating/gym habits. Within a day of removal my sex drive was back. My fiancé and I had sex more in a week than we did in the previous year. That’s not an exaggeration. My appetite decreased and I had more energy. Within a week I felt like my old cheery self again. I felt like a new person and still do. Sadly, I’m back to having terrible cramps but it’s totally worth it. Hopefully my experience can help someone else. I know everyone reacts differently to hormones but don’t ignore the symptoms like I did!"

Ktms (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Nexplanon inserted in March 2014. I was on BC before, but recently found out that I cannot take estrogen, so this was the only way to take more progestren without doubling the pills. I had 4 months where I was on my period everyday, and was told that it was normal and took about 6 months for my body to get back into normal functions. I had two 45 day gaps since then where I did not have a period. Otherwise I've had longer periods, lasting 2 weeks, before getting a week break and then going back on again. I get extreme fatigue a few days before I start and flu like symptoms that last the duration. I also over the last 6 months have been having painful breast tenderness. I went on BC due to long heavy flows and extreme breakouts and cramping. I no longer have breakouts. I will not be getting Nexplanon again."

LaurenEx (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "Do not get on this birth control. Yes, it's very convenient because you do not have to remember to take the pill everyday but the negative side effects aren't worth it. I've had the implant for more than a year now and have increased 10 pounds in weight, have crazy mood swings, plus a feeling of anxiousness-which also resulted in sleeping issues. I've also felt extremely fatigued and depressed. My acne has increased and remains constant. Will be getting this evil little implant removed soon, can't wait to return back to normal."

Nicole XP February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I had it for 3 1/2 years! I’m getting it removed. I had a baby at 19 and didn’t want anymore kids at the moment so my OBGYN told be the Nexplanon will be best for me and it’s not!!! I have periods non stop!!! I bleed heavy through out the month! Irregular periods! And don’t forget the yeast infections I have almost every month from the past 2 years sometimes BV.. I never had this problem until I got the Nexplanon inserted in my arm 3 1/2 years ago, only good thing about it is I NEVER GOT PREGNANT"

Amber Lovely (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I absolutely love the nexplanon! I just got my second one today. I haven’t bled any while I’ve had it. I highly recommend it"

..... February 15, 2018

For Birth Control "This thing is evil. I'm telling you. I have had it for a few weeks now and I haven't stopped bleeding. I mean I'm bleeding like a stuck pig. And my mood swings OMG I have never been so mean and angry in my life. Its actually wrecking my relationship. He thinks I'm on drugs or something because I'm so crazy out of no where. I wish I had read all the reviews first. They really need to discontinue this birth control."

Delana jay February 14, 2018

For Birth Control "DO NOT GET THIS !! So I’ll start off with the good things.. for like the first year in a half 2 yrs I had no periods which was AWESOME! Then they slowly came back which I didn’t mind until I would be on my period for 7 days then it would go away and come right back the next week.. not to mention I got on the birthcontrol late 2015 and I’ve gained almost 30 pounds! I started at 155lb!! I am always HUNGRY I eat so often I never gained weight like this before until I used the Nexplanon I even got a trainer and tried eating less I lost a few inches and maybe 1 or 2 pounds after working my Butt off at the gym 4 days a week! Since I’ve been on it I’ve been so depressed and I have anxiety bad I cry all the time I’m so not happy with my fat everyone notices it I don’t even enjoy the things I used to love doing because of it!! Save your self don’t do it! Honestly your better off using condoms or no sex at all because I don’t trust any of these birth controls."

Ziggyboo12 February 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had this birth control since July 2017 and at first I really liked it because I don't get periods. I've gained about 15lbs and am trying really hard to get it off. I've been working out and eating super healthy. I also had heart palpitations in December 2017 and was admitted to the hospital overnight. (I'm only 34) I started to notice my mood swings about a few month later and thought I could control them. Yeah, not happening.... I read a review on here about a woman that has aggressive feelings toward her husband and fights all the time now. She called it. My husband and I have a great marriage and never really fought. I feel really mad at my husband all the time and I get mad about the dumbest things. I feel really depressed and mad all the time. I've become a different person. After reading these reviews, I realized it wasn't just me. I'll be setting up an appointment to have this thing removed."

Crazy mood swings February 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on nexplanon for about a year and a half before I realized it was causing me so many issues. Now just about at my two year mark I finally got it taken out. Body aches, headaches, random bleeding for long periods of time, sometimes randomly stopping for a few days then starting again, CONSTANT-INCURABLE yeast infections, vaginitis, increased hair growth, cramps, you NAME IT. It caused so many problems, then when I went to the doctors to get it removed they couldn’t get it out because scar tissue had formed. She worked at it for so long before finally getting it. I was nauseous sitting there listening to her pick at my arm. Also, right after removal I fainted and the next morning on the train to class I fainted again because of everything being out of whack. I have now been bleeding with blood clots for days on end with unbearable cramps, headaches, uncontrollable hormones (I keep crying), and body aches since I got it removed."

Nicolemichelle (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 12, 2018

For Birth Control "If I could give this birth control negative ratings I would. Worst birth control I’ve ever been on. It does the job of preventing pregnancy, but with the outrageous side effects it’s just not worth it. I get headaches every single day. My sex drive is non existent, when I do try to have sex it is painful. I’m VERY moody. I started to get acne on my face as well as on my back. I have daily spotting. No “real” periods. I’ve gained 40 pounds on Nexplanon. I’ve had this in me for 2 years and cannot wait to get this thing out of me."

Notonexplanon February 12, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Nexplanon for about a year now, had my period the WHOLE time. Was trying to stick it out because its really amazing not having to worry about taking a pill everyday and I haven't heard great things about IUD, but I'm about to get rid of it. I was hoping things would change but they have not. Weight gain is real. TL:DR (Too long/ didn't read)- Had period for a year, but stuck with it for benefit of not remembering to take a pill"

JassySP February 12, 2018

For Birth Control "If I could give this a negative star rating, I would. It is technically “effective” because I did not get pregnant, but the side effects far outweigh the benefit. I have never felt so depressed, out of control of my moods, and so exhausted in my life. Increased headaches, spotting for 3-4 weeks straight, the list goes on. I can’t believe the immediate difference I felt when I had it removed. Even my significant other said I was a different person immediately after removal. I finally feel like myself again after two years. I would not recommend this form of birth control to anyone."

Whallen February 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I had an awful 4 months. I got it inserted in October and a week later started bleeding and never stopped. I got it removed on Tuesday February 6th and within 24 hours got an infection in the insertion site. I’m still bleeding and now I’m on antibiotics for the infection. Oh yeah and I spent hundreds of dollars on tampons "

KennaMarie123 February 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for a 8 months, did not like it one bit. The biggest side affect that hit me was constant spotting and bleeding every single day, I couldn't deal with it anymore so I had it taken out. I gave it a 4 only because it does help with not getting pregnant but the side affects are the WORST. I went through so many tampons/pads/pantyliners. I tried 800 mg pain meds and prescribed estrogen pills for the constant bleeding and nothing worked. Every women is different but my experience was bad hopefully it works for someone else."

Anonymous February 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I had nexplanon placed Oct 2017. I read reviews after having it placed and started to panic because of all the horror stories. My first period came like normal, without cramps (unusual), lasted 5 days. Then next period didn’t show up at all. I was happy with that. Third month started spotting daily, then to light, then spotting again for 30 straight days. Wasn’t too upset about that since it was spotting, not an actual period. No cramping, no mood swings, no weight gain, small increases in acne, but managing with topical changes. So far, I’m happy with the implant. I’m 37, 128 lbs, very active, with lupus and RA. No increase in disease activity either."

Jen 37 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2018

For Birth Control "1. I bled everyday for the first 8 months. Once it settled, my period would still last a full week with heavy flow. So yeah useless/miserable in this aspect. 2. I fell into depression. I was so anxious and depressed all the time, I thought something was wrong with me. Miserable. 3. NO SEX DRIVE, DRY AS A BONE! Sex was a bit painful, unsatisfactory, and very frustrating. I felt more depressed. It's been 3 months since it's been removed. My partner says there is big difference in sex! My emotions are much more stable, and my periods are lighter, ironically! The MOA for this birth control (how it works) is to thicken the cervical mucus, inhibiting the passage of sperm to the uterus. Natural lubrication = sticky mess = BAD SEX! Not all BC do this. Do some research, and chose the right med with your MD. Not everyone reacts the same to birth control! I gave it 1 star bc I did not get pregnant!"

NeverNexplanonAgain February 8, 2018