User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 2766 reviews 305 medications

5.8
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 2766 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I had Nexplanon for 3 years, and it was an absolute nightmare. I bled at least 25 days out of the month, and I gained 20+ pounds over the last 3 years with no change in diet or lifestyle. I'm an ER nurse and I always ask my patients with Nexplanon about their experience and at least half of them report frequent bleeding as well. Rated it a 2 instead of a 1 because I didn't get pregnant while it was implanted."

Jayford818 June 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've been on Nexplanon for about one and a half years now. The first 6 months seemed pretty regular. I had no signs of weight gain, my periods were normal. Everything seemed OK until about a year into it, I started noticing I was gaining some weight. I started to have mood swings and felt very depressed most of the time. It got so bad to the point that it started affecting mine and my husbands relationship. Not only that, but I started to gain a significant amount of weight I probably gained about 35 pounds and a good 5 to 6 months. I exercised everyday. I ate very healthy and couldn't shed a pound. I have made a appt. to have this removed."

Amarie52319 June 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am 24 and had Nexplanon put in around January of 2016. The first year was fantastic. Normal period, light bleeding. This year has been awful! I was depressed all of the time, sore boobs, feeling fluttering pregnancy movements in my belly, acne all of the time and I had a very heavy 8 wk long period before I had enough. Told my doctor to take it out ASAP. At the time of having it taken out is when my doc told me it TRICKS your body into thinking its pregnant. Thats why all of the symptoms are so terrible! I've been 3 weeks without it and I'm still working to get my energy back. Period is back to normal. Ladies, beware. Just do your homework."

LMJ92 June 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the implant for a little over a month and so far I love it! I've had spotting that lasted about 13 days but it beats taking a pill everyday!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the nexplanon for a little over a year and a half. At first I loved it. I didn't have to remember to take a pill everyday which was very convenient. Fastforward to now... I have been on my cycle for almost a month now. It has been ridiculous. I've spent at least $100 on tampons. I'm having it removed this Wednesday. I also know of other women that have had this issue as well. Whenever I first got the device I was having very light periods and then out of nowhere they would go from only having it for 2 days to a week, but now its a month and I'm done with it."

Randa11 June 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "This is definitely one of those "everyone reacts differently" kind of birth controls. See how you react to a progestin only pill and then try this, they are very similar. For me, this little rod has been a nightmare. I waited several months to see if my hormones/ periods would even out and they never did. I already struggled with depression and this made my moods totally unstable and made my depression and anxiety symptoms skyrocket. I also have a strangely heavy period every other week and experience more PMS symptoms because of it. I'm super fatigued all the time and achy fairly often. I also think the constant periods have made me seriously anemic which doesn't help with that. Proceed with caution."

Tired and Sad AF (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've tried several different birth controls. The pill I kept forgetting to take, depo made me gain weight like crazy and I also had a miscarriage while on depo so it clearly didn't work. I thought Nexplanon would be the best thing ever, for a few months it was because I didn't have to worry about taking a pill and felt it was more effective than the shot... but man has it made me gain weight. I have gained 35 pounds in 6 months. Gaining all this weight has cost me more trouble than you can imagine. I've made an appointment with the doctor to get it taken out."

Asdfhj June 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had the nexplanon for 2 years. The first year was wonderful, never got my period and everything seemed great. The second year things started to take a turn. I started to experience extreme mood swings, fatigue, depression, acne and those are just a few things. My period came back it stayed with me on and off and sometimes even stayed for a whole month. I've also gained about 20 pounds since on it. Let's just say it's made me extremely emotional and made me think I'm a nut case. I actually just got mine removed today and hoping to regain my sanity back."

Zimnabb June 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I HATED this birth control. I was on it for about 6 months until I finally realized how much it was effecting my everyday life. It was the first type of birth control I had tried so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I was at the point where I was bleeding EVERYDAY. My mood swings were off the wall and I gained at least 15lbs in a span of that 6 months. I was exercising and eating the same, which is why I know the birth control caused this. Right when I got off of it, all of those symptoms went away."

KK20 June 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the implant for around 2 years and the first year was fine. Completely forgotten TBH. The last few months however, I've had really horrible mood swings and been extremely depressed. At first I thought maybe I wasn't mentally healthy but after reading such high statistics that the implant does in fact provoke depression I'm certain the implant is making me feel this way. I sincerely hope no one goes through what I did!! It's caused such fights in my life because I've had extreme anger and upset."

Becca979 June 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got my Nexplanon implant sometime in early January and began spotting days later. A couple weeks after the insertion, I began my cycle, which lasted for a week and came back two weeks later. It continued this way until late May. I have now been on my cycle for 4 weeks. Though the flow is so light that I don't have to use anything more than a pantyliner, it's still there and very annoying. If it should matter, before getting the implant, my cycle was abnormal and I wouldn't menstruate for about 3 months at a time. To date, I have not experienced any sort of weight gain, breakouts or hair fallout. My friend also has the implant. She has had no cycles or symptoms since her insertion date three years ago. I do not recommend."

Mixedqueen13 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been on it almost 3 years now and it's a love hate relationship like any birth control really. I got this after surgery because my hormones were all messed up and I needed a reliable form of BC. The ring didn't work for me, the pills drove me crazy and the shot makes you gain weight. So I decided to go with the implant. The insertion is easy and fairly easy to tolerate, it's like getting a shot and the pain is gone. The area does hurt from time to time over the years as it is scar tissue. The side effects at the first 5 months were bad, also you might start grow hair, muscle and unfeminine features if you're sensitive to hormones. I had to start laser treatments on my chin."

Lewk (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got this implant in October of 2016 it was relatively smooth sailing, November my cycle lasted two weeks and ended. In December I started my cycle on the 27th it is as though I have been bleeding all year! I get a day or two where I am good to go. It's June 21st and the longest I've gone without being on my period is maybe 2 weeks. I've gained weight and am starting to lose me hair. I've become depressed and have mean mood swings! I hate this version of myself. waiting on my appointment to remove. worst decision."

sugarrolls (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got Nexplanon about a year and a half ago, and my periods stopped immediately. My only complaint is I had some hormonal acne flare ups when I first got the implant, but they didn't last long. Overall I'm very satisfied and would recommend it."

mullank June 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Decided to try Nexplanon for something convenient as I am an early 20s medical professional who travels pretty often for work. I have only been on it a few months but I have had no symptoms (besides some headaches and increase in acne the first few weeks). This was the same reaction I had to my pill birth control, but now I don't have to worry about taking the pill or having my period/spotting! So far I love it and recommend it to all my friends!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had the nexplanon for 6 months now and I love it! I barely have periods and when I do they are normal. I also have not had no major side affects besides when I first got it my arm itched a Lil bit."

Mz.BDia9422 June 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had Nexplanon in now for 4 1/2 years, the first three were great, absolutely no bleeding, no weight gain, no spots, slight reduction in sex drive, but I couldn't sing its praises enough! I didn't hesitate at getting it in for the second time, since getting it in for the second time within in about 6 months I started to gain weight, I have gained nearly 2 stone now, which I cannot budge and I am active, despite the fatigue I experience I still try to do Pilates, walk the dogs and bike ride through the week and watch what I eat, even been keeping a food diary as couldn't understand getting so big! I have bad hair loss, boobs are so swollen and sore and sex drive is a big fat zero! at the Drs tomorrow to discuss removal"

HOLJESMADMOLL June 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had my nexplanon for about four months now and I am so happy I got this! The insertion was bearable and I got some breakouts the first week or so but it wasn't too bad. So far my period has been pretty much regular, I have a lighter flow which is great and I get fewer cramps. It still lasts about 5-6 days but I'm not complaining. I haven't had any spotting in between periods. Also, I never had a history of having headaches but after getting it I do get a few headaches here and there that last 5 minutes but nothing bad. I was nervous because of all these bad reviews, everyone is different but just give it a try, please. So far I am really happy I got it and it could work out for you like it did for me!"

lalala19st June 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had the nexplanon in for about 6 almost 7 months now. I think it works great, I like not being scared to forget a pill, I like how it lasts for 3 years, I like how its an implant that you don't have to worry about. This had one big con that was a deal breaker for me, the constant and irregular bleeding. For the 6 months I've had the nexplanon I bled for 4 out of those 6 months straight. and when I wasn't bleeding constantly, I would randomly bleed so I constantly had to have a pad for tampon in for 6 months straight. My doctor says this is really common, and I think thats something that needs to be changed. If I had a regular period, or no period this would have been perfect for me, but I can't have a period for 3 years. Its not okay"

calyssam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Sadly this didn't work for me. I had it in for about a year and experienced heavy spotting in between periods as well as severe fatigue and body aches right before every cycle. No fun. Had it removed and feel much better, but 8 months later and I have a nasty scar on my inner arm from the removal (I have pale skin that bruises and scars easily)"

Capital707ugh June 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I'm currently 21 and I've had Nexplanon for just over 2 years now (since 15th June 2015) and have had absolutely no problems with it. Possibly the best decision I've ever made. Obviously all BC affects everyone differently, but for me I've experienced no mood swings, I haven't had a proper period or cramping in 2 years now (I've had maybe 4/5 occurrences of extremely light spotting in 2 years -lasting no more than a day each- and even that was mainly just slightly pink discharge), I haven't noticed any weight gain from it (but I was gaining weight regardless because I started University and lived off take-outs). I'll be getting it replaced a few months before it's due just to be sure. I love it, though."

Nom8 June 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got this implant 3 months after giving birth. It was the best option for breastfeeding. I've had it in for a little over a year now and I still breastfeed. The first 9 months were perfect no periods at all no side affects. Then after 10 months of having the implant. I started light spotting and it stopped. Now I have had a heavy period for 4 months straight. I'm dropping weight very quickly at only 130lbs I cannot afford to loose weight. The bleeding is only getting worse. The Dr proscribed estradiol but it hasn't changed anything. The only side affect is the bleeding and weight loss. I have no acne or appetite issues. No fatigue. I want this implant out asap."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "This form of birth control has been pure hell for me. I have not even had it for a year and I want it out NOW! It has caused me to have severe depression! I have always been a happy positive strong person but this year has been terrible due to the mood swings caused by the nexplanon. It also made me have a period for months, then the period finally stopped for several months and they have recently started back up again. It is very frustrating. The nexplanon has changed me into a person I have never imagined being. I am constantly upset. There is not a day I am not falling apart. The nexplanon also made my hair fall out. I don't believe that it has that listed as a side affect but I have several friends that experience that as well."

DONT GET IT!!!!!!! June 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the implant a little over a year ago and for the first 7ish months it was good. I had practically no period except maybe a little spotting every other month or so that lasted like 24 hours. But for the past 5ish months I've been bleeding LITERALLY non stop. My face is almost always broken out & before this I would MAYBE get like one pimple during a period... also I have pretty significant mood swings. I'm probably getting it removed and going back to the pill. I've heard pretty much everyone I know that has gotten it has had it removed within a year-a year in a half. It's unfortunate because it is very effective birth control which is why I am hesitant to remove it and have tried waiting so long. But the side effects are unbearable"

Kat00000 June 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Nexplanon started off great but after about 6 months, it was the worst decision I had made. I tried to ride it out because I thought it would get better but it never did. My periods last almost 3 weeks with heavy bleeding the entire time, and constant moodiness and fatigue. I am scheduling an appointment to get it removed!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 15, 2017