User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 2618 reviews 299 medications

5.8
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 2618 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I got this form of birth control about a year ago. The first few months were great. Had my normal period, or no period at all. Then I started breaking out and it continued to get worse. Then I started gaining weight. I gained a total of 15 pounds in 6 months. I know that is not a ton of weight. but I am 5"5 and weighed 108 pounds. I go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and I eat pretty healthy most of the time. I have never had a problem with weight until now. Other than these 2 side effects, this birth control is great. I love that you don't have to worry about it once it's in. But since my weight gain and my acne, I will be getting it removed this week."

kaylee123456 April 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Even since I've had Nexplanon I've gained mad weight that no matter how much I workout I can't lose, when I think my cycle is over it's not and the headaches are the worst. Glad to be getting this out soon. The side effects isn't worth having it in."

Don't do it April 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "My two friends got the Nexplanon implant one month before I did, and they had no complaints so I decided to get it as well (Jan 17), now it is April 17 and I could not be happier with it. The three of us (all 20 years old) all got our periods once (which were slightly heavier than usual) and since then our periods have disappeared!!! We have had no side effects, cramping, or depression which we experienced while on the pill. I have recommended this to so many friends- not having your period is amazing."

L.G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I was on nexplanon for a year. Let me just say that it was so bad. Sex was excruciatingly​ painful I gained a total of 60 lbs on it. In the 3 years I've been off of it I've managed to only lose 20lbs. I was moody and had really bad depression. Did do its job, yes. Was it worth the side effects, no. This was my experience on it, however everybody is different."

Myruh (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I used Nexplanon for about 10 months and got it removed. While on this method, I had bleeding for months straight with little breaks. I tried to wait it out to see if my body would eventually adjust but my period never got itself to be on a cycle. It got to the point where it wasn't worth it because even when I did have sex, I had bleeding/spotting so it took away my sexual confidence. It definitely was effective and did its job but the side effects were getting in the way of my life as well as my wallet as I was always at the store buying tampons and pads (and we know how expensive this can be). I decided to get the implant removed which was a bit of a difficult experience as well. Nexplanon is effective but still needs improvement."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the Nexplanon placed in January (3 months ago). The first two weeks, I bleed extremely heavy. So heavy I would bleed through a tampon and a pad within two hours. Which my doctor said was very normal for this BC. I have been on almost every BC and there are positive and negative thinking this one. I truly forgot about it being in my arm, but the non stop bleeding for me was the worse thing. I would bleed like a normal period for 7-10 days, heavy (which I have never in 27 years of life had a heavy period). Then I would spot for a few days, stop for two days, and start bleeding heavy again. I also notice if I tried to have sex in the small window of no bleeding I would start bleed right after intercourse."

T Marie April 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had my nexplanon in for 3 yrs. I've had great experience with this except I have extreme anxiety and depression which I am on medications for that now. But it's past my 3 year mark and my doctor will not take out my nexplanon. I told her it was expired and even showed her the little card they gave me when They put it in that showed the expiration date. She said it can still be working for another 2 months. I asked her I said but doesn't it lose its effectiveness and she said yes and said but it could still be working I was like well how do u know??? And she just changed the subject. Then I asked her well can't it get stuck in your muscle and tissue and she said yes but it should be good for another month or two."

Uboo12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "As a person who took Nexplanon for all three years, yeah it was hell my arm we terrible I was always in pain. It felt like I was pregnant all 3 years, I was experiencing pain in my veins its like I didn't have good circulation at all. My arms puffed out and cause stretch marks and yeah I went from 170 to 250 and after taking this implant off my arm I lost weight I am not tired, yet its been three week and I still haven't had my period. I suffer from depression and lots of anxiety mood swings and yes the implant did make it worst... a lot worst to where I had to fill my whole medicine cubby with a lot of meds. But it does work I will tell you that, the only thing that really bothered me was the mood swings and constant yeast infections."

Ashiez420 April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am rating it a 10 because it provides you with what it says: protection against unplanned pregnancy. It is inserted in your arm and you literally forget about it. I used to love it, but I started noticing that I've been getting constant, raging headaches that can last for days with little to no relief, even with the use of pain meds. I also noticed that it has become very difficult for me to lose weight. I totally recommend giving nexplanon a shot, but due to these side effects that I've started getting, I will be getting it removed next week."

Karen :) April 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "When I first got it on the date of July 22 2015 it made my period heavy and up to 3 months long. Leading into the end of my first year having it my period stoped. Later on I gained 35 pounds I have stretch marks every where. I cry for no reason at times and get Bad headaches. The implant birth control definitely does its job by keeping babies away. The side effects are bad."

Cc :) (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "First had implanon then got Nexplanon, had a period first month and I have not had one since. I'm due to remove it next year. I do notice spotting sometimes for a day but it honestly usually coincides with when I'm stressed. Had some weight gain also. So far the best BC I've had in all my years. I plan on trying for a baby next year then I will be back on it."

AnnieE. April 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had my Nexplanon implanted 3 years ago when I was 20, which was the best decision I have ever made for my reproductive health! I've tried the pill and Nuvaring but HATED both methods. It's very difficult for me to follow a pill regimen, which is precisely why I switched to the Nuvaring. I was relatively healthy in terms of diet and physical activity and had never experienced significant weight gain prior to the Nuvaring. However, 5 months after starting the Nuvaring, I gained 30 pounds, which did horrible things to my self esteem, especially as when I was a teen I struggled with an eating disorder. Halfway through college, my OBGYN recommended the Nexplanon implant, and I've not looked back since. I'm now 23 and getting my 2nd implant in August!"

Vanesssssa (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "It works.. but my period was all over the place for 3 years. I would have 3 day periods, then spotting, then back on heavy for a day then back off for a week then started all over again. Some months I'll have my period for 5 days, others 2 weeks. By the time the bleeding & brown spotting stop it's time for another cycle. This birth control was pointless for the most part because I couldn't have sex. My appetite was through the roof. And after my 3 year mark I had my period for a full MONTH, with very few spotting days in between. I'm sure it's because my body it's getting back on track. But I've had a period more on this BC then I did with out it. I've gotten pregnant on the mirena, & I didn't like this one. I think done with BC for a while"

Keara (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I was very skeptical about getting on birth control in general because I did try Depot a few years ago and was bleeding non stop for a year. But I recently got into a relationship and wanted to get on birth control so I tried Nexplanon. Once again I was skeptical after reading so many horrible reviews but decided to try it anyways. I got Nexplanon implanted mid March and I got my period the usual time of the month I was expecting it. My period usually last for 5 days but it did last for 2 weeks this time. I have now been off my period for a few days and hoping it stays off!!! No consistent bleeding, no depression, no mood swings and no loss of sex drive. So far so good. Only rated it an 8 because I haven't been on it for too long."

Saiiracarter April 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been on the pill since I was 16. Two years ago I was put on a new pill and I noticed I was super hormonal, angry, depressed, anxious, stressed, etc. It was horrible and took me a while of tracking my moods before I was convinced it was because of my birth control. I've had the Nexplanon for a month and it has been wonderful. I know a month isn't very long, but I noticed a difference in my attitude within the first week. I feel like I have energy again, I'm able to focus, I'm happy again, I'm me. I can't believe it took me almost 2 years to realize it was my birth control ruining my life. If you feel the way I did on the pill I highly recommend trying this out. It can't hurt to try."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been on nexplanon for about 10 months. It's been hell. My mood swings have been out of control and my depression has been way worse ever since I have been on this birth control. I could not be more excited to have it removed on Monday. If you struggle with depression DO NOT get on nexplanon. It will only make it worse."

---- April 18, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had no (huge) problems on this BC. I was worried after doing so much research and reading so many bad reviews, but decided to give it a try anyway: I am glad I did. I got it put in about 2 months ago and have had no spotting, weight gain, or loss of sex drive. I got my period right when I was supposed to a month after it was inserted and it lasted the normal 5 days: no heavy bleeding. The only thing that did happen was an initial breakout on my chin for a couple weeks and my hair seems to get oily a day after I wash it, but oh well. I have dealt with anxiety and slight depression in the past and it almost feels like Nexplanon mellowed my hormones out. No mood swings, no anger fits, no overreactions. So far so good!"

ophelia8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the nexplanon for 5 months now. I haven't stopped bleeding/spotting for the last 3 months. I've never had back acne and now it's terrible!! I can't even bare to put a tank top on it's so embarrassing. You can pinch me and feel oil coming off my skin. It's horrible. My anxiety is off the charts. This was the worst thing I possibly could have gotten on. I should have stayed on the pill."

Horrible (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've only had the implant for 4 months and have booked an appointment in 3 weeks to get it removed. I've experienced weight gain, I feel so depressed, my mood swings are all over the place, I have no energy at all, almost constantly bleeding, although it's only spotting and I haven't experienced a heavy period I'd much rather just a regular monthly period. Just counting down the days to get this removed, didn't work for my body at all."

Natf April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Absolutely terrible. I would never recommend this to anyone. I had this in for almost 3 years and was a completely different person. My mood swings were horrible and I bled all the time. I had it taken out a month ago and already feel better. I had to change doctor's because I was ready to have a hysterectomy done I was so miserable. He told me he would never recommend this and has never put one in because it makes you bloated, bleed and hormonal. I've since changed to Nuvaring and have been happy with that."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've been on this medication for 8 months now. I am anemic and the bleeding was fine at first. It was my normal heavy flow. I went on vacation and planned on starting while I was gone. However, I didn't. When I got my period I bled HEAVILY for about 4 wks. A tampon every hour and a half. The last day, I had a blood clot the size of my palm.Then the next four days was very very light bleeding. And then back to the heavy flow of numerous clots. It's been almost 2 months now. I've been put on a birth control. Hoping this will help. But I'm definitely changing it soon. It has made my depression and anxiety so much worse. NOT WORTH IT."

Lauren J (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "PROS- No period and didn't get pregnant within the 2 years that I had the Nexplanon CONS- Cravings, Migraines, No energy, Weight gain (14lbs in 2 years) to be exact and that's a lot for me because I'm already a big girl, Hard to lose the weight, mood swings, fatigued, lots of depression. It's like being imaginary pregnant lol without having a baby growing inside of you."

LeLeRey April 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the nexplanon implant for just under three months. The beginning had some unpleasant side effects but not much worse than any other hormonal birth control; 9 day moderate to light bleeding but then no period for two months. Effects that still persist are that my appetite increased noticeably and came with cravings for red meat even though I've been a vegetarian for years. I still get a little crampy each month, and migraines. My breasts are usually tender and have increased an entire cup size. I've put on about 12 pounds; thats after slacking off on my once regular workout routine. I'm back at the gym and the lbs are coming off, but don't let it creep up on you. You absolutely MUST exercise regularly, or you'll gain weight fast."

LexTea (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I was first on implanon for 3 years until it was recalled and I had the nexplanon inserted in 2016. I bled a lot with the implanon, at first the nexplanon was great, I never had a period. Now I am constantly spotting. If I don't drink a lot of water, my body thinks I'm dehydrated, and my blood will be red, but when I drink lots of water, its brown and clears up within a few hours. I have had constant nausea where I thought I was pregnant. It's also like I haven't eaten, and makes the nausea go away afterwards. But comes back in a few hours. It is very effective for birth control. My husband and I, do not use condoms, so I know it is very effective! We are planning to get pregnant next year, and I cannot wait to get this out."

Srosediane April 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I selected this birth control specifically for the convenience and I was under the impression that there was really no risk of weight gain. I have consistently been putting on weight since I got the implant. I equated the weight gain to the "freshman 15", but I have been eating 1700 calories a day and working out 7 days a week and the weight keeps piling on. My periods completely stopped after about 3 months, but I did not have issues with my period to start with. My mental health has not been great either, but I assumed that was also from starting my first year of college. All of my friends have this and have no complaints, but it did not work out for me at all. Getting it removed as soon as possible."

C2016 April 16, 2017