User Reviews for Nexplanon

5.4

3,772 reviews 319 medications
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 5.4 3,772 reviews

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I got the nexplanon in January 2019 after the 8 weeks from having my baby and it’s February 2019 and am about to get it taken out. My period will go off for 1-3 days and literally come right back on and I have occasionally break outs in my face I personally do not like it."

Kaila (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2019

For Birth Control "I'll keep this short. My symptoms from week 1 are: hair falling out after washing and brushing. 2 month long periods, maybe a week with out any bleeding. Started getting acne pretty bad, face, back and chest, like black heads and then the mood swings. My already bad anxiety got worse, I would cry (I don't really cry over the dumbest thing) and irritable, I would snap at people like PMS feelings but worse. I did however gain weight, I needed that though. I always liked the patch...."

Mama February 13, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Nexplanon inserted on June 20, 2018, at 17 years old. I got it removed on February 11, 2019, at 18 years old. After having it for about 8 months, I can say the negative side effects outweigh the positive effects. Immediately after getting it inserted, I had an anxiety attack & felt overwhelming emotions all day. For the next few months, I fought depression and LOTS of mood swings, along with high anxiety in almost every situation. I bled the entire time I had it, except for a week or two in between. Most of the time it was heavy bleeding, not spotting. The only reason I kept it in was to see if my body would adjust, but it never did. My face also began breaking out towards the end of having it. The only positives for my experience was the free cost & the prevention of pregnancy. I would NOT recommend this for teenagers who experience frequent mood changes, anxiety, depression, or acne."

Jo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had the implant in for a year now and I really like it. I decided to move to a more permanent form of birth control because I’m not always consistent with taking the pill and I was experiencing worsening PMS symptoms over the years. I’ve had no changes to my skin, if anything a slight improvement. Overall my mood is far more stable when I experience symptoms which is currently every 2-3 months. My periods have fluctuated quite a bit in that I had nothing for 3 months after insertion. Then I had a 2 week period that consisted of just brown blood, which was kind of gross. But since then, I really can’t complain other than I can’t fully predict when it’s going to happen and if it’ll last 3 or 8 days. If that’s the worst thing I have to deal with to have protection from pregnancy- so be it. I’ve had no change in weight or appetite either. So overall I’m super happy with it and I’m just hoping for less or no periods as I continue to have it in."

cl312 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 12, 2019

For Birth Control "Nexplanon RUINED my life. 9 weeks of heavy bleeding when I had it inserted; about 1 month after getting it I started to experience extreme fatigue, acne, nausea and complete loss of appetite, heart palpitations and shortness of breath, massive hair loss, severe depression (feeling hopeless and borderline suicidal) and anxiety/paranoia. Anemia due to the bleeding. Not to mention my relationship suffered because we weren't able to have sex for months. I ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack or stroke due to the symptoms. DO NOT PUT THIS IN YOUR BODY."

hmru (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on Nexplanon for a year. Frankly, I thought about having it removed after six months but I knew I should stick with it for a year. At the beginning I had hair loss but it subsided. The worst part was the periods. I would spot enough to have to wear a pad for several days, then I would have Niagara Falls of bleeding for about 4-5 days, then it would trail off. That would repeat again two weeks later. I never used to get cramps during my period but I got really hard ones while on Nexplanon. I had it taken out today and I'm going back to the pill. I also gained about 30 pounds with no change in dietary habits. Every body is different; a friend of mine has had one for two years and has no period and almost no side effects."

skittles (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on Nexplanon for a little over 2 years. Before I was on it I did not have depression but within a few months of getting that implant I was diagnosed with it and begged my doctor for a prescription for it. Nexplanon has had its up and downs and quite frankly year two was worse than year one on it. I am scheduled to have it removed next week and I am so excited. To me the depression and anxiety are not worth it. The anxiety keeps me up at night and the depression makes it hard to focus and interferes with life. I kept a routine and steady menstrual flow on it so the depression is my reason removal. I’m smaller in size and usually very sensitive to medicine and the environment. This hormonal BC is a one size fits all and I’m thinking is just way to strong for me. Hoping to have my life back in order once this thing is out!"

J (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2019

For Birth Control "Holy moly did this birth control cause acne. SEVERE CYSTIC ACNE. I am currently on a 6 month course of Accutane because of how harmful these hormones were to my skin. I had deep, PAINFUL, cystic bumps all over my face, neck, and back starting 2 months in to Nexplanon and they only got worse. I had the device removed after 11 months because I couldn't stand it any longer. The longevity of the device and the less frequent periods were the only positives. I definitely would not recommend."

nonono (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on Nexplanon for about 2 years now BUT I will be removing it soon ! My pros on this birth control is not having my period, you don't have to worry about getting pregnant of course . Now my CONS are that I became depressed which I have never experienced and I have anxiety which I have never experienced before. I get angry for the littlest things! My sex drive is hardly there because it usually feel discomfort now if I'm being honest. I have very intense headaches which I would call migraines but I haven't been to the doctors to be diagnosed. Recently I lost pigmentation on two of my fingers I don't know if it's because I have been stressing over minor things so far I have had a terrible experience beside not getting pregnant of course I do not recommend this at all ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I do not recommend this birth control AT ALL. I had mine in for about a year, first few months weren’t too bad, had irregular periods but my Dr put me on the pill to help with that. After about 5 months I was bleeding about 3 weeks a month on and off. And most of the time was heavy bleeding. My mood completely changed. I had severe anxiety and ended up having to quit my job because I was having panic attacks at least once a week. I’d wake up dizzy and nauseous every single day. I treated my husband and my kids horribly when I’d have my mood swings and get upset with them for no reason. I felt like a completely different person and it scared me. And then I’d hate myself for the way I’d acted (which I’ve never had a temper before) I weighed 125lb when it was inserted and gained about 35lbs, which I still am having a hard time losing. Since I’ve had it out I feel like I’m back to my normal self. It’s scary what those hormones can do to your body"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2019

For Birth Control "If I could give anyone reading this who is considering getting the implant advice it would be this: Don't do it!! It is NOT worth the risk of the bad side effects. I normally don't have bad reactions to medications, so I thought I would be one of the lucky ones without the awful side effects. Nope! I had medium heavy spotting for 120+ days in a row about a month after getting it in. On top of that, I experienced the side effect of losing self lubrication. Yup, I didn't even get to enjoy sex while I had it in. I didn't gain weight, but I did experience worse acne. Getting it out 5 months ago instead of roughing it through 3 years of that was one of the best decisions of my life."

Scarlet (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2019

For Birth Control "DO NOT RECOMMEND, I've been on nexplanon for the 3yrs and getting it out today..literally can't wait, my doc went on an on about how I needed to try it because I had been on depo off an on for 15yrs, well worst decision of my life!! My twin brother had died of massive heart attack 3yrs ago and I've never had any issues except last 5 months it's been a roller-coaster going 2 different heart docs for tests, and nothing has been found..I've always had issues with nexplanon my periods at first was non existing then gradually came couple times a month, and reason for my heart docs was because I out of blue started having episodes that strongly suggested it was my heart an nothing has been found wrong - it is bad severe ANXIETY and PANIC ATTACKs. My arm hurts so bad I wanna cut it off..anyway hope this helps, that's my story an I'm hoping for a great outcome once it's out an I can get back to the normal me!!"

ross (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had nexplanon for two months now, and I gotta tell you, the first month was THE WORST. My mood swings the first month was probably the most difficult time I have ever experienced. My boyfriend would do something so small and I would cry so easy, over the dumbest things. My first period of that month lasted 15 days, and I would spot brown before and after the period experience. The second month got a lot better, my emotions started levelling out and my spotting started getting lighter and lighter until I hit the 2 month mark of that month. I didn’t spot or bleed for a week and then after that I started bleeding again, BUT I am scheduled to have my period at the end of the month. But the most weirdest thing about it is that I only actually bleed when I go to the rest room, or when I have sex. After that nothing really shows up on my pads. I haven’t seen any reviews about that situation but everyone is different. It’s my second day bleeding, also have period symptoms."

Anonymous February 2, 2019

For Birth Control "Honestly. I never realized all that was wrong with this birth control until I read the comments here. When I first got it 9 months ago ish, I was 130lbs. I am now 150lb and I haven’t changed my eating habits at all. I have become so irritable when I’m around my family that as soon as I walk in the door of my house I’m instantly in a bad mood even if nobody says anything to me. I have had this weird, brown, stringy spotting since the first week of having this BC and it only stops for maybe a week at a time, it’s hard to tell. My back pain is horrid. My boobs randomly feel like they’re solid and I live in a constant fear that I’m pregnant. My symptoms have been getting worse since the last few months with nausea, fatigue, and stomach irritability happening this week. I think I am going to get it removed soon. I just don’t trust anything to prevent pregnancy and so far this has the highest effectiveness and I don’t trust the pills at all."

Mawhi477 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I've been on Nexplanon for 1 year and 2 months. I really love the implant, because I'm not pregnant lol. I'm 20 years old so to me that's very young to become pregnant when I'm not financially stable. I haven't had a period since I got the implant. The side effects I got for a few months were abdominal pain, increase in appetite, weight gain, headaches, nausea, mood changes and acne. Now being on it for over a year, all the symptoms went away besides acne, but it comes and goes so I have no problem with that. I highly recommend getting Nexplanon if you're not ready to get pregnant. It's highly effective and I don't have to worry taking pills every single day since I forget easily. It's an easy procedure and it's last for 3 years! It's different for everyone so just give it a chance and if you don't like what's doing to your body, just get it removed and seek a different type of birth control. Best wishes to all and be pregnant free!"

Lovelybri20 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I really gave Nexplanon a chance. The insertion is painless, and quick. The first few months I experienced a period every two weeks with spotting in between. I knew that was a risk, so I was honestly okay with it. And around the 4 month mark, the periods seemed to calm down and I got used to it. Then, around two months ago I noticed a large painful lump on my breast. It was diagnosed as a cyst. Then a month later, 3 MORE cysts were found on my breasts. Then today, another was found. Over the course of a couple months, I developed 5 CYSTS in my breasts that are all still there. I was told it was likely the implant, and my doctor advised me to remove it. Weight gain, never-ending periods, always feeling like I'm pregnant...I felt I was tough enough to handle all of that. But constant breast pain from cysts and swelling, where they cannot even be touched by ME? Not on top of everything else. The implant comes out tomorrow. I hope your experience is better than mine."

Cait January 31, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my Nexplanon removed today after having it for 3 years. So glad to have it out! My periods were constant. I would literally bleed for 2 months and then be off for like a week. My husband doesn’t swim in the bloody river so it definitely affected our love life. The only good thing I have to say about it is I never really had cramps. I guess because I was literally always bleeding. I got the Skyla IUD put it today. Hopefully it won’t be as bad."

Lynn (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had the NEXPLANON implant for eleven months now. I have always got my period once a month for sevens days. Since NEXPLANON my periods keep getting longer each cycle. My period started sometime in October of 2018 and is still on and it January 29, 2019. Enough is Enough! I have lost weight and have headaches and I’m always sad which I believe is this NEXPLANON implant. I’m having it removed today and I’m actually excited!"

Lee lee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 29, 2019

For Birth Control "Insertion was super easy and quick, and the healing process wasn't bad at all. However, after a month of inserting it I got my period for about three months straight. It was heavy for maybe the first week or two, for the next two months it was light enough to wear panty liners. Those three months I was super moody, agitated all the time, usually even after day one of beginning the cycle you just want your period to end, so imagine three months!!! I read reviews and hoped I'd be the lucky ones who didn't have their period for months or even just five days a month. But NO, my body said "girl I'm going to mess you up", after the three months, I didn't have my period for a week and was so relieved. Next day came, and BOOM spotting again. My period comes back about every two weeks and last for a week. I've had nexplanon in for eight months so far, I've gained 20 pounds and my mood swings are outrageous. Everyone's body is different so hopefully if you try it you have a better experience!"

Sarah (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had nexplanon now for (2) cycles or 6 years. When I was 22 I had it first put it and loved that I didn’t have to worry about taking a daily pill and it was just always there. My first implant was great, minimal periods, no acne/weight gain/libido issues. I had a second one out in 3 years later and the experience has not been the same. I have noticed increased anxiety, exhaustion, decrease in libido, and very irregular periods. Contemplating a different method as I’m coming up on my 3 year removal date. But I can say that I have not gotten pregnant, so it’s done it’s job in that aspect!"

Kari (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 28, 2019

For Birth Control "First of all, check if your doctor is paid by anyone who has a vested interest in a product do your research on it google openpaymentsdata.cms.gov Second, some say the FDA is corrupt! Watch Bleeding Edge on Netflix. Third: my experience with Nexplanon has been fine. I started with some mood swings but after realizing it might be because of this implant, I was able to take that self awareness and help keep my mood in check. I have gained some weight but attribute this to other factors such as lack of consistent, routine exercise. The process of getting it put in was easy and virtually painless. I had one bout of spotting shortly after the implant, and then about 7 months later I had a period which was relatively light and mild. Sex drive is low but still there. So far, this has felt like a good option for me. But if it's not for you, trust your instincts and go with something else!"

Emily January 27, 2019

For Birth Control "LISTEN!!! & Listen CAREFULLY!! RUNN ! Run FAR AWAY! YES! This birth control work differently on everyone. But don’t put your life in jeopardy by chancing it!! This birth control has made my life purely awful! I got it implanted in 2016! It was fine til the 6 months! Regular monthly 4-5 day periods , minimal acne, no weight gain, NOTHING!! Then all of a sudden I changed into a different person. NEVER in my life even knew how anxiety felt, never recall having depression. CRAZY ABSURD THOUGHTS! Literally feel like a psychopath! Let not mention I’ve gained 50 pounds ! I feel disgusting! I have mini panic attack’s! I’m a pure evil to my boyfriend. I don’t even want to leave the house. I have anxiety about EVERY LITTLE THING! Nexplanon was the worse decision of my life! I’m completely done with birth control . I have it removed next month on the 11th and Lord I wish that day would hurry up and come!"

Boujee (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on Nexplanon for about two years before I got it out. I had insane cravings and gained so much weight. My body was so cute back then, and I’m sad to say it’s probably worse from having this implant than it would’ve been had I got pregnant. I’ve been trying to conceive for quite a while now, with no results- I eat healthy, take my prenatal vitamins and don’t drink. My weight may have a little to do with this, but I do think Nexplanon has a pretty big role in this. Nexplanon was nice to be on, although I never knew when my period would be, so always be prepared! I could have sex safely without worrying about pregnancy, and that was very nice. Honestly, just use condoms all the time and have extra emergency contraceptive pills ready in case they break. It’d be easier than this."

TG (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 26, 2019

For Birth Control "I had a very bad experience with Nexplanon. Bleeding for 3 weeks of every month for 1.5 years, and a 50lb weight gain with no change in diet. I never became pregnant, so I am giving it one star for that. I would have gotten it removed sooner but I was uninsured for a time and got stuck with it until my insurance kicked in at the beginning of the year. I just got it out yesterday and am trying a copper IUD and am going to try and loose weight again! (I tried before but I couldn't counteract the weight-gaining hormones and gave up) I know two other people who have used it as well - one of them uses Dragontime essential oil and that stopped her bleeding, and she hasn't had any other issues with it. The other person I knew couldn't resolve the bleeding at all and had it removed."

Angie (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2019

For Birth Control "Had this a few years ago and needed to remove it within 6 months of insertion. I was on the pill for about 4 years before with no problems. Insertion of nexplanon was easy. Within a month or two, I was full on depressed- not able to leave my bed, sleeping a majority most of the day & night, hopeless. One reason for this was the induced IBS. I NEVER had intestinal problems before this. Sorry for the explicitness, but I couldn’t go anywhere without 3 second access to a bathroom. Diarrhea for weeks on end. TERRIBLE cramps and indigestion pains to the point that I thought I would pass out (10/10 pain scale). As soon as I got it removed, my intestinal issues mostly subsided. Still dealing with it but not even remotely close to the problems I had on Nexplanon. I’ll also mention that it shifted from the insertion sight. The nurse who removed it had to dig around my arm and through scar tissue for over 20 min to find it. If I could go back, I never would have gotten it."

Maserati96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2019