User Reviews for Nexplanon

5.4

3,867 reviews 320 medications
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 5.4 3,867 reviews

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I rated Nexplanon 2/10 because as a birth control it did its job, and my periods were less frequent and lighter. However, my OBGYN did not warn me about possible side affects with my existing anxiety/depression. The 3 months I had nexplanon was the worst depressive episode I've ever been in. I actually felt suicidal every day for a month. Forget any sex drive. My moods were completely different than anything I've ever experienced. When I mentioned this to a friend, she told me that her roommate had the same issues right after getting nexplanon and I should get it out immediately. I am now on the pill (Tri-Lo-Marzia) and slowly recovering after a horrific 3 months. I paid $100 out of pocket and ended up having to get this thing taken out, and now I have a nasty scar on my arm."

Lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been using Nexplanon for about three years now. It has been one of the best birth control I’ve use this far. Implantation was quick and easy. Bruising of the arm last about three days. Experience mood swings but they subside as time went by. No weight gain or breaking out of the face like I have experience with other birth-controls. My periods got shorter but always came the same time every month. Got the implant removed March 7, 2019. I am currently six weeks pregnant. Didn’t expect for it to happen so soon after removal but my family and I are so excited."

Ty (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had Nexplanon for a little over 4 years and I never had a period, no spotting, nothing since I’ve had it. I loved having no periods and not having to worry about taking pills and it does work! Lol you definitely won’t get pregnant. BUT man I have had some mood swings and had depression and would just cry, sex drive was low and I just didn’t want to be touched. I’ve had it out for about 3 months and it sucks dealing with my period now but it’s worth it because I’m back to myself. I feel great now, but having the periods does suck I wouldn’t get it again. I’m done with it."

O (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had nexplanon for around 3 months now. My experience has been fairly positive. I bled for the first 9-10 days which was already mentioned to me at my appointment. I had a bit of bruising around my arm but apart from these two things. I can't fault it. I rarely have any side effects from any type of medication."

Roms April 11, 2019

For Birth Control "Worst thing I ever did to my body. I gained 20 pounds, I got ovarian cysts, my skin went from being clear to breaking out constantly, and my periods have been insanely irregular and heavy. Save yourself the trouble and don't get this horrible medicine."

Kels (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I've had Nexplanon for one month and I have not experienced anything terrible. I got on this method after having a pregnancy scare with missing pills. I had it inserted during the middle of my birth control pill pack and I have not received a period or spotting to this day. Side effect wise, I have had headaches, acne, and higher irritability at small things, but I haven't had any of the bleeding side effects. Hopefully things stay this way, as it is 99.95% effective against pregnancy and those odds are very likeable."

KCSpeakes (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

For Birth Control "Horrible experience ever! I got nexplanon last September, first 3 months were just ok, I mean I got some headaches, changes of mood, body aches and got my period every month only for 5 or 7 days that was ok, on January I got for the first time in my life ( I’m 31 yo) a YEAST infection that would NOT go away and will come back right after every treatment ( during two months) I was miserable! also I got for the first time in my life two panic attacks I went to ER I felt really sick! Depressed, my heart beat would go up constantly, pain in the arm, insomnia, pain in my breast pain everywhere! I did not now what was going on with me, I’m a healthy person, well I found this place I read most of the reviews and found that most people experience most of my symptoms. Well I decide to get removed on March 29 it has been two weeks without it and I feel great! No more Yeast Infections and all the other symptoms went away! I feel great and happy and I would NOT recommend this BC to anyone!"

Linda April 9, 2019

For Birth Control "At first I loved Nexplanon and had very little issues with the implant. Although, I have now had it for about 2 years and I notice that I have crazy mood swings, my periods are brutal, and I have never had acne until now. I am very good about keeping my skin clear and using good products and no matter how much I keep up with it these crazy cystic bumps keep popping up and it is very painful. The implant was very good for a short period of time but I am planning on getting it removed dude to the increasing side effects I am noticing."

Anon (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I had my Nexplanon placed April 2017 and started dealing with pretty severe stomach pain shortly after. I have had GI issues throughout my life but not this pain. I had recently taken antibiotics so thought that was the cause. It’s been 2 years and my stomach is still terrible. I’ve lost a ton of weight and really struggle to keep any form of fat on me due to my stomach I just can barely eat. It was so expensive to put in (planned parenthood massively misquoted me) that I don’t want to remove it too soon especially since I’m not directly sure it’s the cause. On the upside I don’t get periods basically ever, I don’t get PMS or mood swings like I used to, my boobs never hurt, and emotionally I do fine on it but I feel it may have amped up my anxiety a bit. Once it’s out I will absolutely not put another in. I will likely take it out after 3 years instead of 4."

Kitty (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 6, 2019

For Birth Control "If you have an irregular period, don't get this! I got the 3 year plan and it's only been 2 years, but I feel like I've been bleeding/spotting for waaaaay too long! As far as not getting pregnant A+! But hey, its probably because my boyfriend doesn't want to do it if I'm bleedings."

You'reabutt22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2019

For Birth Control "*DO NOT TRY THIS PRODUCT*!!!!!!! This is my first time, trying nexplanon. Its been TWO weeks and I am actually having it removed TODAY!! All the reviews I've read are accurate and the side effects are immediate, I have anxiety, anger, depression, empty feeling, want to be secluded and that's just mental. Physically dizzy, nauseous, diarrhea, itching face, the area of insertion itches something wicked, like I'm rejecting it... sweating, chills, insomnia. Please don't take the chance without doing your homework first and 99.99% of everyone asked that have and used this thing hated it and or bled for MANY months at a time :("

Natty (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2019

For Birth Control "UPDATE from anonymous march 20th post: Its been 1 week since my removal of Nexplanon & I feel like the happiest person on earth! I even had more side effects right before removal: my weight gain of 10lbs, became 15lbs! It also made my digestive system extremely bad! It took 3-4 days for my food to digest! It was causing me to be bloated every single day for 2 weeks straight just before removal. It was also weird that it took away my depression for a whole year of having this but just before removal, my depression came back twice as hard. I also had NO SEX DRIVE for a whole year! I didn’t want my bf touching me ever! It was driving both of us crazy! Now everything is back to normal! I lost about 5lbs so far & I feel like I’m myself again. Now I can live a happy life! I’m never trying this again!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 4, 2019

For Birth Control "I was put on this birth control at 14 and got it removed at 18. This implant ruined my life. It caused me to have horrible irregular bleeding, it ruined my sex drive, it stunted my breast growth, and it caused horrible cystic acne with mood swings so bad I was almost diagnosed BIPOLAR. I have been off this implant for over a year and my estrogen levels are so low and are unable to regulate themselves so I have to take the pill to get my estrogen back to normal. I’m currently unable to get pregnant despite the claim of being able to get pregnant within a week of removing the implant. I do not recommend this to ANYONE!! I also have chronic UTIs due to the thin lining of my urethra because of the devastating impact on my estrogen this implant has caused. I wish I had known about these awful side effects and I’m praying that it has not ruined my fertility for life."

BiancaMae (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I got nexplanon when I was 14. My gynecologist said that there were no side effects. After implant, everything was fine then my period stopped & didn't come back for 3-4 months. Once it came back it didn't stop for 2.5 yrs. After bleeding for a month I went to my doctor's office to find out that she moved to Ohio. I went through manic episodes & anxiety. Developed emotional problems. After about a year I realized the implant broke in my arm. I didn't know that was bad. I ended up gaining 80 pounds within a year & a half. I found a new doctor who removed the implant & confirmed it had broken & the amount of hormones released from the implant when it broke, caused extreme side effects on my body. I had the implant out at 17. I'm now 21 and ever since I got the implant I suffer from emotional & medical issues that I believe derived from nexplanon. I have gallbladder issues, secondary Amenorrhea, headaches. Please discuss all risks with your provider . Don't let them tell you that there are no side effects."

Mj April 2, 2019

For Birth Control "At the time of insertion (Dec 2017) I had a boyfriend who refused to use condoms and didn't wanna pull out. I decided to get nexplanon so that we could have unprotected sex without me getting pregnant. The first three months consisted of non-stop bleeding, but then it eased and I got my period every two months for two weeks. Eventually, I got rid of the crappy boyfriend but kept the nexplanon just in case. Somewhere near summertime (like 8 months after insertion) I began to spot again. This lasted about two months straight with a week in between of no bleeding. I am tired of the spotting, thick and smelly discharge in between bleeding, and the horrible acne. I have never suffered from acne before and now have a bunch of scars all over my face. Finally, be sure your man isn't a total idiot and respects you and values, and what you want sexually. Not worth going through all this rubbish just to have him complain that I bled on him. Never again. I'm glad to end this chapter of my life."

natiwati April 1, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been using the nexplanon implant for 8 years. I'm on my 3rd implant. I have been experiencing more and more mental health issues as time went on. It's to the point where my anxiety and depression are almost crippling. I experienced some mental health issues before, but they have gotten worse since I got my first implant in 2011, but until now I had no idea that my worsening anxiety could be because of my implant. I intend to have have it removed in the next 3 days. Also, I have a significant issue with spotting between periods to the point where I have had my period lasting for up to 6 weeks on occasion."

RespectfullyChildFree30 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 31, 2019

For Birth Control "I would not ever recommend this birth control to anyone. It was a life saver the first year but since this second year I've had issue after issue. I have horrible anxiety 24/7. When I'm not panicking I'm crying from crazy amounts of depression. Not to include the physical changes its done to my body. I'm constantly tired and weak. I spend almost my entire day in bed. When I normally would be up doing yoga or playing with my child. I have horrible chest pains along with palpitations that only makes my anxiety worse. Plus horrible migraines and awkwardly I get muscle spasms all over my body probably from stress. Please think twice before you get this. It will change your life."

PowerGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2019

For Birth Control "I feel like I’m a different person on nexplanon I feel angry and have been snapping on people a lot I get annoyed so easily and just want to be alone all the time Definitely want to get it out I’ve only had it in for a month"

Anonymous March 28, 2019

For Birth Control "At first I loved the nexplanon. But after having it in for about 4 months my periods got longer and the time between them got shorter. I currently have it for a month straight and only get a week or two break before having it for a month again. There has even been a few times where I have had spotting in the week or two before having it for a month. My mood swings are really bad. When having my period my cramps are really bad and the bleeding is heavy. It gets a 10/10 for stopping pregnancy."

Kelly (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2019

For Birth Control "I DID NOT enjoy my Nexplanon. I did get a D & C (not too long) before getting it inserted (the first time), however, I notice many have similar complaints. I give it a "2" as I did not get pregnant, but that is as I was on my period the whole time I had it, about 7 months. Other major things is that I always had migraine headaches and definite NOTICEABLE weight gain. I was in the military at the time & they weighed us regularly. This BC was a major contributor to my past weight gain. I also found myself extremely moody/ depressed. *The device, itself, CAME OUT of my arm and I had to get another inserted.* But then I could not wait to get it out! I, now, have been on the "Skyla" for a year and I love it."

Doglover18 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 28, 2019

For Birth Control "11:05pm. I’m scrolling through this thread in tears. Depressed . Confused . I’m 6 months with this nexplanon implant and it was the worst mistake of my life next to dropping out of college. I had been bleeding every 3 weeks And I would have a break about 2 days . My flows would be as heavy as my heart would feel. This was going on for 5 months . I can’t stop eating . I’m always sad . I got acne on my cheeks and my neck. I’ve gained weight (20 pounds) . I resent men , my gynecologist, and myself for getting this . My doctor has advised me to stick it all out , and that I is what I am doing. But during the after hours , I find myself browsing YouTube , trying to find an instructive video on how to take this lord forsaken device out of my arm because I’ve had enough . Truthfully Everyone is different . My friends experience was the complete opposite . But this was not for me ."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I finally got this after months of debating and reading reviews. I noticed headaches right away. 7 months later my headaches are extreme, as are my mood swings, no real sex drive, I've gained at least 10lbs. I've always been a very happy person and good natured person. Now on this I've never been so angry and sad. One awesome thing was my period stopped almost immediately, luckily I didn't get the constant bleeding like so many others. I've been so exhausted and hungry all the time. Lightheaded, dizzy, and headaches are so bad I was ready to take it out myself. I finally got it out today and I could never recommend. Hopefully I will feel better soon."

jdmt86 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2019

For Birth Control "Update, this nexplanon birth control has been the best one I’ve used thus far. My arm had little to no bruising for a few days, and my scar is very unnoticeable. Yes I was a moody for the first 2 weeks, and felt easily light headed/nauseated for about a month. I also had headaches, but again, this is normal for me during a birth control transition. No weight gain really, it’s diminished my appetite if anything, but there’s been no weight loss or weight gain. I never get bloated on this birth control, and I immediately stopped having periods. This is my third form of birth control after the IUD skyla failed, and the combo pill was raising my blood pressure. Overall a great choice, especially for someone very busy with life and isn’t ready for kids. 10/10 recommend for anyone!"

Thnkunext March 26, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on Nexplanon for 5 months and have already scheduled a removal. I have been bleeding non-stop for 3 months; I am completely miserable/moody/ angry all the time; I have gained weight that is impossible to lose. Most recently, I began experiencing extreme pain followed by numbness in my calf and foot. I had to go to the hospital and have multiple tests done. All the test came back clear and all of the doctors concluded that this pain/numbness was a side effect of the nexplanon. Do yourself a favor, and never get Nexplanon implanted."

Ashley12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had the nexplanon implant 3 times now. The first was fine ran to 3 years, the 2nd so so, felt a bit unwell and tired and my boobs went huge and sore! Then the 3rd time OH DEAR!! Spots ( NEVER been a spotty person ) my body aches all over like I'm 60 in a 27 year old body, my period is all over, craving sweet stuff, feeling sick, headaches, crying and hairy! Getting hairy all over. I have had this is 9 months now and it's all getting worse. I literally feel like I am going to die. Sounds dramatic but I do. My body feels so weak. Had my bloods done and there all fine. Had problems with my breathing and my lungs are clear etc. It has got to be the implant. Feel so poorly now with it. Having it out today... got all the pregnancy symptoms but I'm not getting anything out of it. So miserable x"

Shez (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2019