User Reviews for Nexplanon

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"I had this inserted in August. It is now December and I’m happy to say I’m getting this removed tomorrow! I had the IUD before this and had it removed due to painful intercourse so I thought this was the next easiest thing to do. WRONG. I haven’t experienced bleeding but my anxiety is out of control. I’m also now having to take blood pressure medicine due to my heart is always racing. I have little patience for my two year old which makes me sad. I wish I wouldn’t of stuck through with like my doctor practically forced me too! I could’ve had this thing removed at month 2! Can’t wait to feel normal again. Do NOT recommend."

Steff4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Nexplanon for 2 months now. The first month seemed fine. I started my period when I was supposed to but had VERY light bleeding that only lasted 3 days. I was due for my period Nov 20th and I still haven't started. I'm 3 weeks late now and show no signs of starting. I can either be happy that I'm the lucky few that don't have to worry about a period anymore? But instead all I can do is worry that I'm pregnant. I've been nauseous, having cravings, fatigued. All the symptoms I had with my first pregnancy. I read online that Nexplanon can mimic pregnancy so I'm hoping for that. Is it worth not having your period if you'll wonder if you're pregnant every month?"

AshesToAshes (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the implant December 2016, the insertion went perfectly fine and I have yet to experience any problems with it. I also never had a period again after I started Nexplanon which is the only positive thing I can say about this birth control. It's made my skin break out so much worse and has made me start to get blemishes on my back and shoulders, but worst of all I have noticed a giant spike in anxiety and depression, to the point of suicidal thoughts and almost a suicide attempt. I am undiagnosed and always had social anxiety, but it got remarkably unbearable after the insertion, I plan on getting it out this year. I've also lost 16 lbs & am now medically underweight. I would not recommend if you have history with anxiety or depression"

wyldflwr December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nexplanon is the first birth control I’ve ever used. I’m 25. My boyfriend and I simply wanted to most effective birth control method. I am a fairly chill/nonchalant/level headed individual. I had Nexplanon implanted 9 days ago and I literally cannot control my emotions at all. The mood swings are outrageous. I’m literally irritated about everything, that turns into anger, then it turns into crying because of the frustration of the mood swings. I’ve read that it can be this way with any birth control method but my GAWD did I wish someone would have told me before I had it implanted. I had my period the week before it was implanted and I’ve experienced no irregular bleeding yet. If the bleeding is ridiculous then I will have it removed."

BeeBee9876 December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my third time just now putting it back in . I’ve never gained weight and have never experienced any side affects listed . I have no periods for the first two years and then the last year I start to gradually get a cycle here and there . A few months before I get It out the cycles become more frequent in a month time My menstruation can be heavy or light at times . No consistency near the end . It affects everyone different . This is my experience and I love It and it’s overall a cheaper way to go"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've tried my fair share of birth control options, the pill, NuvaRing, Mariana, and now nexplanon. Of them all nexplanon is the absolute worst. I'm getting it removed after 9 months. I was expecting the irregular periods (that was three 10 day long periods in two months regularly, bleeding for 42 days straight the first menstrual cycle after the insertion) the things that made this birth control intolerable were the mood swings since having it, I'm always either mad or depressed never happy, I'm always tired and I've gained 25lbs even though I've been working out and eating healthy. Other birth controls made me lose weight this one is awful, the only good things are I didn't get pregnant, I don't have to remember to take it, and it's not painful"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"There are SO many bad reviews of this BC (I know, I read them lol) that I just had to share my experience with it. For background, I am 26 and have been on birth control since I was 14 because I had problems ovarian cysts. I was on Nuvaring for 4 years (& LOVED it) until I got married (They say you can't feel it, but I did & it hurt) Anyways, I did my research decided on Nexplanon because it was less invasive. I've had it for 6 months now & I had a short period the month after insertion and absolutely NO bleeding since! I love it! Remember everyone has DIFFERENT experiences with this just like any other medicine. If you want an effective long term bc that you don't have to worry about, give it a chance!"

Love It! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Insertion was not bad. For me it was fast and not painful at all. A week and a half later after insertion got my period. It lasted for two weeks. I had only one week without any bleeding when it started again. It lasted again for two weeks. After a week and a half I got my period again that lasted for 4 weeks now. Abundant period. Today after 2months and a few weeks I went to the doctor to take it out. I couldn't handle one day more. No pain at all when he took it out. Only good thing, periods were not painful. But I rather prefer pain for a few days and a 8 days period than an never ending painless period."

Melidi December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got it put in November 15th. I went alone. Honestly it was a breeze. Bruise was present for almost a month - it's just now subsiding but not really any pain during or after insertion. The day after I got it done, I experienced a dizzy spell. 2 days after I got it done, I experienced a second dizzy spell. Couple days went by no issues. Then after that, I experienced a headache for three days. Couple more days went by, and I started spotting. The spotting was legit dark brown blood. It lasted for about 3 days then stopped. I have had slight mood swings, however that comes with any birth control. So far I think I am doing well and will keep it in and see how it goes. I should be getting a period in 6 days so I'll see how that goes and update."

WE'LLSEEHOWITGOES (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The actual insertion wasn’t bad, they numb your arm and you don’t feel anything but a slight pressure. You should be on your period when you get the implant. The first month, I was bleeding EVERY SINGLE DAY. It was very light but annoying. I was getting ready to have it removed but it stopped. I haven’t bled since, and it’s been a little over 5 months now. I don’t have any symptoms or problems. Overall, I’m very happy with Nexplanon and will probably get a new one implanted when the 3 years is up."

Lalajenn (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nexplanon was very good at keeping me from getting pregnant ,BUT WARNING I got really bad depression. My lungs and chest where hurting constantly , I felt very paranoid all he time. And the doctors thought at one point that I had a blood clots in my lungs. I don’t recommend to anyone unless you can deal with all those things."

Tiesha15 December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started researching different bc options because I was tired of the pill and the implant stood out to me. I was drawn to its effectiveness and the fact that it lasts 3 years. I talked to a doctor and made the choice. I had a lot of anxiety about it but I knew it was right for me and that was what was the most important. The procedure was super quick and the only thing that hurt was the initial numbing shot. After the whole thing, she wiped up the blood, and wrapped my arm in a bandage to wear 48 hours. The bruising around the area was really ugly and big for about two weeks, and after another two weeks all I see now is the tiny little dot of a scar. I haven’t experienced any significant side effects except I haven’t gotten my period."

Emilcupcake December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got mine inserted a little over a year ago, and I was prepared to deal with acne, weight-gain, irregular bleeding and hormones. Surprisingly I haven't experienced anything like that at all. I actually haven't had my period once since I got the implant, nor have I experienced any spotting or cramps. Still got 2 years to go, but so far I'm really happy with it."

Floofy December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I loved this birth control, I had it the full 3 yrs. I am 22. The inserting process was really quick and painless and it healed quickly. At first I was a little moody but I reminded myself it was the birth control and I would just go about my day. Only complaint is that being a server/ bartender and constantly having my harms up did become a little uncomfortable after a few minutes but nothing major nor painful. As far as my weight I gained some (actually very little) but I don’t think it was the birth control itself and I didn’t have any abnormal acne. The removal was uncomfortable it did take 20 mins due to scar tissue buildup. I’ve had it out for about 3 days now and feel absolutely fine."

Shai1009 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not sure if it was how little I’ve had the implant or how sexually active I am (a lot) but I JUST had a miscarriage 30 minutes ago. I’m not a parent I don’t know what it’s like to have a child I know I’m not emotionally mature enough, financially stable enough, or mentally ready to have a child that’s why I made the decision to get the implant. That’s why I never wanted to be pregnant until I was ready. Finding out about a pregnancy is a terrifying thing, but at least you would have a choice whether or not to keep the baby. I didn’t have a choice and it was heartbreaking. If you’re considering getting this due to the benefits it has by all means go ahead but please do your research on the side effects and possible negative outcomes as well."

7teen (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had this put in 2 weeks ago, the bleeding starting about 4 days in and hasn't stopped. I've had a constant headache for the last 10 days as well as dizzy spells. I'm having it removed next week, I'm not willing to wait months to see if it subsides. Wish I would have done more research before I decided on this method of birth control."

Can2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I loved this birth control at first , but after having it for about 2 years now . I have had nothing but a terrible experience . I have had TERRIBLE mood swings and TERRIBLE acne ! I will feel completely fine one minute , the next I am ready to fight someone or start an argument . I thought I was going crazy until reading other reviews ! DON'T RECOMMEND IT . But it does protect from pregnancy ."

NatalieD November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The insertion was a breeze but the two weeks following it I was depressed and had a ongoing headache. I was on my period forever and it seemed like having sex caused me to have my period. I talked to my doctor about my continuous period and she prescribed me medroxyprogesterone. Its a pill that you take for 21days to stop the bleeding, it worked until a few days after I stopped the medication and my period came back. I'm on my third bottle now. My only issue are the periods but I doubt I'll take it out of my arm. I don't know if weight has anything to do it, I'm 5'6 and 118 pounds.. everyone's body is different. I didn't get acne or weight loss/gain."

Yanne November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First of all, not all doctors are trained in how to properly insert Nexplanon. The wrong doctor may embed it too deep, causing a 20-30 minute removal. Make sure the doctor has done is at least 20-30 times. The only pro of this BC is that its the most effective BC out there and you don't have to consciously think about it. Nexaplanon made gain weight, bleed for a month at a time, cost me hundreds of dollars in tampons & pads, caused a yeast infection and completely changed by personality (caused depression and horrible anger spells), it affected my relationships with everyone I know. Just had it removed last week, emotionally I feel like myself again, however horrible cramps & morning sickness have been present."

12anonymous November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am nearly at a year with Nexplanon. I have been bleeding nearly every single day for this entire year. I wanted to commit to the birth control, and I hoped that my cycle would become regular; instead, the rare week that I am not bleeding I have incredibly painful cramps. Not sure if this is related, but my chin has developed unprecedented acne(from what I understand, the chin is the hormonal part of the face that breaks out). Truly the bleeding makes it not worth it. I have destroyed every cute pair of knickers I own. It's been a year of CONSTANT light, but irritating bleeding. Not pregnant though, so cheers to that."

Lullski November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had bad side effects. I got nexplanon April 12th 2017 and removed it September 1st, although the numbing shot kind of hurt the actual implant did not. It was sore for a couple days. Everyone is different but for me I started getting more ache, my mood was terrible. I felt angry all the time an almost violent. No period but had anxiety an depression worsen. I had depo b4 this an My libido was non existent, and intercourse hurt bad which in why I switched the nexplanon but those side effects didn't get any better either.."

Samantha g November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had NEXPLANON insert on my arm about a year ago. Since I had it on I been bleeding badly to a point that I am having it removed. My doctor prescribed me 2 months of birth control pills to see if would help me with the bleeding but as soon as I stop taking the pills my bleeding came back again. I contact the 1800 and they said this bleeding was normal and it was part of the symptoms, but how can you have any sex intercourse if you are bleeding 80% of the time. Asked Rep if NEXPLANON would reimburse me for the other 2 years that i have on the product since I wanna this remove as soon as possible and he laugh at me. Is frustrating that they insert the products on your body and if doesn't work properly they are not responsible. Never again."

Fefer November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The only good thing about nexplanon is not getting pregnant or having to take a pill. I’ve had this implant for about 2 and a half years and I’m on my period ALL THE TIME. I’ll bleed for a week, stop for a couple days, and then start again for another week. My periods are usually normal to light- but I’m bleeding 50% of my days some months. And often times it looks old and brown. My “normal” month is a 7 day period. Being on my period so much also messes with my vaginal pH. I’m getting it removed this week and I’m so ready. And so is my husband."

Anonymoussssss8885 November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please don't let your doctor talk you in to trying this kind of birth control. I read up and reviews and figured I'd be fine - healthy 25 yr old who had only ever used birth control pills. Nexplanon worked like magic for the first 6 months and then all hell broke loose. I have been the same weight for 7 years and did not change my diet at all when taking Nexplanon, but it caused me to gain 10 pounds. I'm breaking out worse than I did as a teenager because the Nexplanon is suppressing my body's ability to produce estrogen. Because of the lack of estrogen I've also started getting little hairs on my chin. I've also been on my period for TWO months and have started lactating. And no, I'm not pregnant.This birth control is an absolute NIGHTMARE"

Ugh - Get this thing OUT November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The insertion process wasn't really painful. They numb your arm and then insert it, a very quick process. I had took nexplanon for only 2 months. My acne had been bad from previous birth control options and nexplanon wasn't in effect for helping to clear it up, as it got worse. The first side effect I noticed was small rashes on my knees and ankles that my doctor described as petechia. Having an already dainty figure I dropped lots of weight which was unhealthy for me. 10 lbs in only like a month. My doctor made a suggestion that I take out the implant. The rashes have gotten worse and have spread all over my legs even after I got it removed. Overall the pill did do its job in preventing pregnancy and not having to remember to take a pill."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2017