User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 252 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"Removed this BC after 5 months of use. Gave it 3 stars only because I didn't get pregnant and the method is ideal for someone not interested in daily pills, etc. Other than that, Nexplanon increased my already mild acne to moderate, hormonal acne. Not cool. Also, my first period experience (November 2016) lasted 4 weeks with varying light to heavy days. After having my period twice in February 2017 I decided Nexplanon had to go!"

Midori_E March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love this birth control. I was on the pill for 3 years, but when I moved in with my boyfriend I did not want to risk anything. So, I got Nexplanon and I have now had it for 2 years. The insertion was painless, and the healing was almost immediate. I have not gained any weight on it. My period is not consistent, but I don't usually get cramps and it is typically light. I will be off for about 2-3 months, and then will have a light period for about a month, the brownish blood. I trust this with my life, obviously, and I have not had any scares. I am a working, full-time college student and I really needed a birth control that I did not have to worry about, and this is it."

Lauren3618 March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've only been on the Nexplanon for a short period of time and I cannot stop bleeding. I bleed every single day and I use at least 4 Tampons a day. It is not what I expected it to be, but other than that it works great. I used to be in depo and now I'm glad that I don't have to be going to the doctor for a shot every 3 months. Bleeding is the only downside."

Xiamen33 March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the Nexplanon about a month after having my son. I've had it since October 2014. For the first 2 years, I had little/no sex drive. I just started getting it back, once my periods started regulating... I am expected to get the BC taken out November 2017, but considering getting it taken out soon. I bled for the first 4-5 months, sometimes heavy, sometimes light. I literally wore a pad EVERYDAY. After 5 months, I had no period for a year and a half. I only started getting a period in October of 2016. It started out light, but it came around every 28-30 days. I started out just spotting. This birth control isn't for everyone, But it worked pretty well for me."

Mommyof2blondebabies March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got Nexplanon about a month and a half ago. As I've only ever used low dose estrogen birth control pills, Nexplanon sent my mood swings through the roof within the first two weeks. I mean out of control, cry-in-my-car-at-work , ugly mood swings. It was awful. Since those first two weeks things have gotten exponentially better. The mood swings aren't really happening anymore, I don't feel depressed/anxious/sad at all. My skin completely cleared up and I've been losing weight. The spotting has lightened up and I feel normal again. Every body is different- but this is definitely worth a try! If it weren't for the wild mood swings I'd rate a full 10."

yourfriend01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I would never recommend this birth control. I was very moody on this I literally always cried about everything. My anxiety got 10 times worse and I always had my period - literally for 22 days and then didn't for 5 days and then got it again for 18 days and this would happen every month ... My boobs always hurt and I was always very tired.. My cramps got worse. I had the worst experience with this birth control."

kim snow March 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on nexplanon since February 17th of 2016. I've had bad depression and anxiety and I haven't had ANY periods at all... I'm getting worried. "

Rsvh March 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got my first Nexplanon in right after my son was born, that was over 17 years ago now. Over the years I have had very little bleeding, although I do get the symptoms of a period (mild cramps, tender breasts and over emotional at times) I'm due for a new implant in a couple of weeks but I'm considering not taking anything to see how my body reacts and regulates itself. I've noticed recently that it's much harder to keep weight off and my moods have been up and down this past couple of years but I think this may be due to my age and change in lifestyle rather than the Nexplanon. I'd suggest giving it a year to properly settle in and if after that you don't like it, try something else. It's seen me well over the years ;-)"

K-mM (taken for 10 years or more) March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The worst birth control option available. I had Nexplanon in my arm for six month, and those six months were a nightmare. I suffered terrible anxiety. I also started having problems with lactose temporarily and questioned if I was lactose intolerant. I would randomly cry when I was alone. It sparked adult acne. I had trouble breathing sometimes. Honestly, it was just a horrible, confusing experience. Sure, it is effective in the sense that it prevents pregnancy, but there are better options than Nexplanon."

SkyKay29 March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had Nexplanon since October of 2016. Shortly after I got it I had a light period/spotting and then I have had no periods since November. It's been 4 months with no bleeding which is great. However I don't like not knowing when it will start or if it will ever regulate. I am a sensitive and emotional person by nature, but for the first 2-3 months I was on this I was extremely hormonal and moody and almost no sex drive. I am still more hormonal than normal but it has decreased some and levelled out. Also the my sex drive is still lower than normal but has come back and levelled out as well.I was considering getting it taken out before my moods and sex drive returned closer to normal. I recommend trying this, but give it time."

AB88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had this BC since 2011. I am now 24 and going on 6 years. I am considering a 3rd implant. I will admit in the beginning both times was horrific. I was on my period on and off for roughly 3-4months. It was not heavy just frequent. When I first got the BC I did experience dryness and an infection from over using tampons because I was unsure of what was happening. 3 month long periods are no fun. Within a year my periods came regularly but last from 10-16 days every time. This is an undesirable side effect; but still no pregnancy. I do not have to remember to take a medication daily, or weekly. I recommend trying for 1 year and being open to discuss with sexual partner. Their reaction does influence the effectiveness of this BC."

BTen March 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Nexplanon for about a year now. At the very beginning I had huge food cravings. I did not have a period for about 2 months. Then for about a month it started to regulate but it was very heavy. It has been 5 months now and my period has not stopped. I've also gained weight even though I'm incredibly active. I went from 135 to 148 now. My mood swings are insane! I have severe anxiety and depression. Overall Nexplanon is doing its job and I am definitely not pregnant but there are huge side effects of using this implant. I do not recommend it."

Anonymous March 21, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this since September and I have a scar on my arm where it was inserted, which they said I wouldn't get. Since then, I have had a HEAVY period EVERY SINGLE DAY except TWO DAYS. This constant period has been going on for over 5 months now, almost 6. I have gone from 120lbs to 160lbs, get terrible acne, and deal with even more debilitating depression and anxiety. However, this is just MY experience, and more people with bad experiences will share on here than people with good experiences. It would not exist if there were more bad than good experiences. Although, without this birth control, I would be getting my periods just as often and heaver, so might as well take what I can get and not be pregnant yet."

EveryNicknameIsInUse March 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got Nexplanon abut a year and a half ago and I can not wait until I get it removed. I get frequent migraines, I am having problems fighting depression and major anxiety. I have acne all over my face, my shoulders, my back, and it's even started on my stomach area. I have my period for about 3 weeks every month and it's not just spotting, it is extremely heavy, and I have cramps constantly. My sleeping habits are way out of wack; its either I want to sleep all day or not at all. My appetite has sky rocketed and I feel like I can never get enough to eat and yet I've lost a TON of weight since getting it. I have absolutely no sex drive what so ever. I would never in a million years recommend this to anyone. I hope this gave some insight"

Kkaylarie11 March 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got this birth control when I was 17. I am now 19 and I can't wait to get it out !! When I first got on it I had crazy cravings and couldn't stop eating. But no weight gain. Mood swings are horrible. I only got a period in transition to switching from the depo shot to this implant. It was the worst period ever. It lasted about a month and was constant heavy bleeding. But haven't seen one since and that's the main reason I've stayed on it. I didn't realize my steady weight gain though.. I went from 160 lbs to 215 in less than a year. So I started working out a lot more and drinking a lot more water and changing diet. Nothing is working I've only gained more weight!!"

Every nickname is in use ?? March 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on my second implant and I've been a huge fan from day one. I didn't have a period before I got my first implant because of a combination of being thin and previous BC and I never got a period after it was implanted until just recently (4.5 years after first implant). I never spotted or anything. The first period I had recently (legitimately first period I've had in ~8 years) was completely normal. No cramping, nothing crazy. I know most people hate this thing but I can't complain, just wish it lasted longer since it won't be free anymore soon (thanks trump). The only thing I worry about is scar tissue forming from inserting and removing the stick in same area on arm but it hasn't been an issue yet."

Megrobbs (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got this after being taken off the depo shot (which caused severe carpal tunnel syndrome). I can't stand it. The pain when I move my arm is this stabbing sharp burning pain. It is horrible. I was not told that this pain was even a possible side effect."

Angel331983 March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the implant in Jan 2017 my period came left for a few days and then I started spotting (I guess that's what u would call it) for a whole month. I got it removed in March 2017 and I still have not stopped this spotting. It would stop for a day or not even a few hrs. And it's back spotting. B4 I had no problem with the plumbing downstairs but since I got this thing removed it's hard for me to get things going and stay going. Like it really sucks. It's now been 2.5 weeks since I got it removed and the spotting has yet to stop. I didn't recommend this to my worst enemy it's just not worth it at all. I know it's just not for me...."

Huj March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the implant inserted in late August of 2016 due to heavy periods( I was bleeding two times a month for 5-7 days at a time). Insertion was not painful and I did not bruise. I had one light period right after insertion and then no pain or bleeding for a YEAR. Very recently within the last 3 months I have begun bleeding again, heavily twice a month. I am always tired and I hardly ever want to get out of my bed. I am always hungry no matter how much I have eaten I am never full. Due to the bleeding I was put a low type of birth control pill which has made this process EVEN WORSE!! I am even more emotional and I am starting to gain more and more weight. I have terrible cravings and feel terrible about myself. Having the implant removed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had this implant fitted in my arm on Friday. Since Monday I start developing a very nasty rash on some parts of my body, I had my eyes that swollen I couldn't even open my eyes. Doctors prescribed me steroids and everything but can't seem do to anything. It's Friday night now I am itching like mad and having horrible cramps!! My lip got so swollen I couldn't even speak yesterday! Lost my food appetite and I am absolutely out of words how much stress it caused me! I never in my entired life suffered with eczema or hayfever and never had any allergic reaction to anything! Wanted removed asap!!"

Loredana2017 March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Omg!!! Please dont get this implant !!! I had it for 2 1/2 years , and I experienced I bled 2/3 weeks out of a month I was fatigued Weight gain Moodiness occurred often Pelvic pain Please don't do this to yourself it's just not worth I thought it removed yesterday and I already feel better ,"

La Ash March 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I got the nexplanon 6 months ago. The insertion wasn't bad. I didn't bruise either. I got a period about a week later and then nothing for 5 months.. I have been bleeding for almost 30 days now!!! My doctor said use a birth control pill to help the period become consistent. I mean doubling up on hormones is just a great idea, right??? HELL NO. I started taking Mononessa on top of the Nexplanon a couple days and it has been the worst decision ever. I feel so nauseas I can't focus. I just want to puke. The nexplanon also gave me bad headaches. But with the Mononessa it's worse. The bleeding is a little better now but what's the point? I'm on two birth controls. As soon as I stop Mononessa the bleeding will return. Removing nexplanon soon!!"

Mommy122 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been using Nexplanon for 12 years with no breaks and I'm about to receive my 5th implant. As you can probably tell from my continued commitment, I find that the pro's of the implant strongly out weigh the con's. Firstly, there are side effects (like most medication). I did receive a little weight gain, I can be a little moody sometimes and my boobs and tummy get very tender once a month, but although I have the hormonal effect of a monthly period I very rarely (once every 3 months) receive very light bleeding/spotting. What's is most important to me is that I haven't never had a child or been pregnant, which is the purpose of the contraception. Everyone will react differently. You know what is best for your body."

12years March 16, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had nexplanon in for the past few months with almost no symptoms. After having specifically asked if here was any connection between birth control and weight gain (and being told there is no correlation) I made sure to continue my regular workout routine and I have yet to gain weight. Every women's body is different, some react differently than others. My friend is on her 2nd round and 5th year with the implant and has not had any negative side effects. The insertion took 2-3 minutes and I have a dot of a scar but that's it! If you see that it is not for you then you can always get it removed easily. I was lucky to have the entire procedure and implant free under my health insurance."

Anonymous717171717 March 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had the Nexplanon implant in for 7 weeks and within 2 days of having it in I started to experience extreme anxiety to the point of experiencing horrific panic attack's each day! Now I'm usually a very chilled out person but this implant has completely changed my personality, My doctor has agreed that the implant has obviously caused this and to take it out in 3 weeks time ( earliest they can fit me in) but I'm not waiting that long and have an appointment to get it out at a different clinic tomorrow and I can't wait to get back to myself! If I wasn't experiencing the anxiety I would give it a rating of 10 as my periods are only a bit of light spotting and I have no pain but the panic attacks are a no go for me!!"

Nimbob22 March 15, 2017