User Reviews for Nexplanon

Nexplanon Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"I first got the Nexplanon birth control in March 2012. Now it is April 2018 and I am on my third Nexplanon insert. I’m very grateful that this method is working for me. In the 6 years I have never spotted or noticed headaches or a lack in sex drive. I used to live with 3 women and I did have hormonal acne when it was time for their period. My body naturally synced to their cycle. Overall I’m extremely happy and feel protected with the Nexplanon. I understand every woman’s body is different but if you’re tired of taking daily pills or having a period, I say try it out!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 15, 2018

"I’ve had nexplanon for a little over a year. Despite being warned about all the bad things that could happen I got it anyway because the shot was just not for me. About three months into having it my periods stopped completely along with the PMS symptoms. I’ve had one period since my regular periods stopped but that was because I was at basic training and my body was under an extreme amount of stress but since then it’s been smooth sailing. I have a little bit of acne but that could be due to my daily routine and not the birth control. I haven’t had any other major side effects such as weight gain, mood swings, or a decrease in my sex drive. It works different for everyone but this is by far the best birth control for me."

Rachel (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2018

"You have to let your body get used to the birth control! The first year, I gained about 15-20 pounds!! My hormones were all over the place and lets not even mention my period! I think I had my period for 5 months straight and it was SUPER heavy at times!! After the first year, my body got used to it. I dropped the weight I gained, my hormones went back to normal and my periods were regular (besides spotting here and there). So far I've had this birth control for almost 6 years. My skin is normal, no major breakouts and it hasn't failed me yet! I'm 23 years old btw. The only thing I can say is that my hair falls out a tiny bit but I'm not sure if that's because of the birth control."

D969 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2018

"I’ve been on nexplanon for 1 year and 1 month. I’m getting it removed next week. Since I’ve been on it, I’ve gained about 35 pounds. I break out like crazy on my face, and I still have irregular bleeding. Some months I just spot for about a week or two and others I’ll have a full blown period for 3 weeks. It definitely does it’s job and it’s very effective, but that’s because you’re bleeding most of the time or you have no sex drive. It also made me pretty irritable and my migraines more frequent."

Sashyb April 12, 2018

"Got this implant as my anxiety made me worried about getting pregnant while I was on the pill - whether I remembered to take it correctly. Yes it did its job with keeping me baby free, however I've been running into some bumps. My mood is all over the place and my anxiety and depression have been unbearable. Little to no sex drive any more and really chronic back and shoulder acne. Never had acne on my shoulders in my life. Now I'm riddled with it and I'm taking the best care of myself and my skin with no improvements. Awful headaches, nightsweats, and vivid night terrors have been occurring to the point where I don't sleep. Gonna get it removed soon and see where that takes me. My best friend has the insert for about 2 years now and she also has terrible mood swings and constant loneliness. Very strange but everyone is different."

Feefs (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 12, 2018

"I had the nexplanon for 14 months. I got a total of 3 periods during the 14 months one that lasted a month long but better than the ones I use to get without the nexplanon. I have PCOS so periods were heavy. I was eating healthy and working out 4-5 days a week and couldn't drop weight. I got it removed exactly a week ago and have lost 7.3 lbs. Craziness. My friends would tell me take it out it's the birth control but I didn't want to believe that, but it was true people. I think all our bodies are different and we all have different experiences but that was mine."

Gabby (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 12, 2018

"I have had the nexplanon for over 9 months. First month was fine, then I started getting anxiety attacks in public and became very fatigued and depressed. My healthy sex drive plummeted and I couldn't even get excited despite wanting to or already being in the middle of it. This was very difficult for my partner and I. I initially didn't know why I was feeling this way and blamed it on other things going on in my life. I have a cloud over me all the time. Uncharacteristically I just have no drive or motivation to continue doing day to day things. I was previously on the pill for 5 years with no such effects. I have an appointment to get it removed next week and couldn't be more excited. To be fair I never got pregnant being on this so it is effective. Actually, it's pretty difficult to get pregnant if you're not having any sex due to 0 sex drive. Works in more ways than one I suppose."

Cinto (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2018

"Worst experience of my life. The biggest advice I can give is to take a pill with the same hormone before actually putting the implant. NHS will refuse to remove it if you haven't had it for long enough. I am a cheerful and positive person but after couple of days of having the implant, I became heavily depressed and the dark thoughts started, I was crying constantly, I'd fall asleep crying and wake up to cry. Not only that I had bad acne and heavy bleeding, had to change pad each 2 hours. When asked to remove it there was always excuses and I was even put on contraceptive pills to stop the bleeding. I was a hormonal mess. Until my friend saw me crying hysterically for 2 hours and dragged me to the hospital and demanded it to be taken it out because I wasn't the same person. After taking it out I went back to be happy and positive. I think it's very dangerous for some people and doctors don't realise that."

CarlaG (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

"There is way too much to say about this birth control and unfortunately most of it from my experience, is horrible. Pros- the insertion was easy, stung for a second because of the anesthetic, but was not painful. I did not become pregnant so it was effective. Cons- severe mood swings, depression to the point of suicidal thoughts on a weekly basis (this is not me!), Migraines every day, a 2 month period and still going strong, 0 sex drive, and the worst of it all is feeling like I have a cold or flu the entire time. I have had two serious sicknesses, 1 of which I was in bed for 2 days straight. I was sweating all night, which made me cold and wet. I had the worst cough that still hasn't gone away. My appt is Monday, THANK GOD! When I talk to people they say I sound sick because my voice is so hoarse. All of these side effects make it not worth it to me. Oh, and I've gained about 7lbs even though I am eating less and have started working out again. I don't recommend it to anyone."

Leah April 12, 2018

"Insertion was normal- stinging and bruising. Pros- never have to remember to take a pill/ use a condom with my boyfriend, is effective, longer periods of time not on my period than on my period Cons- 1) biggest one for me was WEIGHT gain. I weighed about 152lb when I got it and a few months later/currently I weigh 167lb and cannot lose the weight. I look like I weigh 150lb because I work out and carry the weight differently. But makes me insecure and want to give up working out because I don’t make any progress. 2) Longer periods than I normally had (12-15 day periods vs normally 5-7 days) 3) Spotting- incredibly light and ruined so many underwear because you think it is going to stop and then it isn’t actually done."

Hannah (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2018

"I’ve had this birth control since December 2016. Insertion wasn’t too bad. Just the numbing shot hurt. My doctor felt around for it and was scared it was too deep so I had to get an ultrasound. Next day my arm was very sore and bruised. 1-2 weeks after, I broke out in hives one day kept breaking out for a few days. February of 2017 I was so depressed and didn’t feel like myself at all. It was the worst!! It finally went away. I’ve had pain in my arm and it’s a really achy weird feeling. I’ve been having a ton of horrible side affects. Now flash forward to April 2018...But I truly think since I’ve had this in my arm, I haven’t been the same. The only good thing about this BC is I haven’t got pregnant and I haven’t had many periods at all. About 3-4 in the last year and half. Which is nice. I’m just ready to get this out of me though."

Courtney April 11, 2018

"Got this put into my arm end of February on the 5th of my period. My arm hurt for over a week with a pinching sharp pain at insertion site. No mood swings or side effects in weight, sleep is normal, no acne. No period or spotting for about 3 weeks. My next period in March was a few days early and started off as light spotting but still where I had to wear a tampon. Then at the end of what would have been my normal period cycle “spotting” then the period came full on. And I still have it, going on three weeks now. I have an ugly scar on my arm now that probably will never go away and a small scar tissue at sight of insertion. Also a period that won’t go away. If I’m still bleeding by end of the week I’m calling to get it removed. I’m annoyed at the decision I made. I’ll take an oral birth control over this any day. I don’t recommend this product. And you can see it under the arm."

Chicky April 10, 2018

"I had read thousands of reviews before getting this that I apparently should have listened to. I have lost so much hair, I've had a murder movie type period for going on every single day for four months now, hormonal acne that nothing could kill, severe migraines, sleeping for 12 hours and waking up ready to nap after 30 mins, zero sex drive (trust me I had none to spare to begin with) horrible cramps, gained 15 lbs, and I've had dizzy spells a lot. My depression has been insane lately. This is a good birth control if your single. If you are not, the side effects will put a strain on your relationship. It definitely does its job but for me and a lot of others the stress it can cause with the side effects are simply not worth it. I'm getting it out next month and switching back to the pill. I do not recommend this to anyone. Especially those with irregular periods to begin with."

Sam April 9, 2018

"I have had Nexplanon for 3 months now. It was great for the 1st month, no period, no negative side effects. Month 2 is when I began to get horrible headaches and I felt tired all day everyday. Then I got a viral infection and I still have a sore throat after almost 3 weeks. I gained some weight, not sure how much and the site of insertion is sore. Still have some pretty nasty headaches everyday now. And some very bad mood swings. It is good with prevention but it is not for me."

Nexplanon user1396 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018

"I got this after being advised that it might minimize my long and heavy periods and improve my ability to hold on to iron. Over 6 months I bled with only 2 weeks with no bleeding (days not consecutive). At first there was no cramping but after 2 1/2 months the cramping came back and was almost continuous. By the 4th month I had suddenly developed large cysts and dense tissue in both breasts. Then cysts began appearing on my labia. The mood swings got progressively worse and I was crying about insignificant things. Vertigo and nausea started in month 5. I had Nexplanon removed. The mood swings, vertigo and nausea have stopped and the labia cyst has disappeared but the breast lumps have yet to show any further change. I would not recommend this product."

-M (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

"I have had this implant in for about 17 months now. I like that I don't have to remember to take birth control everyday, and my experience has been so-so. After about 9 months of having the implant, I started having spotting. Like old period blood spotting for several days at a time, and then it would go away for 2 or so days, and then start over for 5-6 days. This went on for MONTHS, until around November (it started in August). It stopped for a little while, and in March it started again. Although this time my periods seem to be more like regular periods and not just spotting (they are rather light the majority of the time). I am going to see if my doctor will put me on a mini pill to regular this, otherwise I'm probably going to get it taken out. One thing to note is I have lost 70lbs since I got this put in and I have been told that losing or gaining a lot of weight can mess with your menstrual cycle."

BMarie April 7, 2018

"So far I'm on the fence. I got this implant in January 2018 so I've almost had it three months. I have gained about 8 lbs so far and I hate that part of it. I will get it removed by the end of May if that continues. Other than the weight gain, I have only had one very short and light period since I got it and no abnormal mood swings. I can definitely tell when my "period" is coming with the bloating and cravings but no bleeding. I will post again if anything changes."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

"Well I got this NEXPLANON inserted early last month. Ever since then I have had a headache, been too tired and drained to do anything, depressed, I have been a very big cry baby since, there has been tingling and numbness in my legs and arms. I hate this implant I want it taken out as soon as I can get it out. Do not recommend this."

Myra (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

"Quite a bit of my friends advised me against getting Nexplanon, however, I went against their better judgement. They were surprised how well I took to it. I had just gone into remission from cervical cancer when I got the implant. I haven't had a period since the implant back in January. Granted it's only been a few months but I was spotting constantly. It's gotten to the point my boyfriend swore up and down I was pregnant (obviously not). I haven't experienced any downside to it. I haven't experienced weight gain but I work out 4 to 5 times a week and have a normal diet including Chocolate and bread. I did begin to get acne but nothing serious. It's more than likely from falling asleep in my makeup or something. It did peak my anxiety in the beginning but I've been on medication for anxiety and depression since I was a teenager. So, it helped with that. I don't experience the spike in anxiousness anymore. I sucked at taking the pill so that's why I got it."

Carrie April 4, 2018

"I got the nexaplanon inserted 2/15/17. It was fine at first. It does the job. At first when I got periods they were light and I wouldn't bleed heavy at all. I am currently in the most painful period in a long time. I had breast pain. Acne pops up now and again. I've had random leg pain. I've had shortness of breath. Lost my sex drive, bled from August 4th 2017 until January 5th 2018. After this I bleed for two weeks, get off for two weeks then it'll come. I constantly feel like I'm on my period. I'm drained all the time. No vitamins help. I'm moody and emotional always. It's made me nervous and anxious a lot of the time. I've gained 25-30 pounds at the most and it fluctuates all the time. My back hurts all the time. I've been more emotional now than before. I got this because I always forget the pill. That's why I like it. Everyone is different it doesn't hurt to try and find the birth control that works best for you. I'm planning to get it taken out."

Shelly April 4, 2018

"So I got the Nexplanon put in about 1 year and 3 months ago and it has been pretty stressful. For the first 6 months I was bleeding pretty much non stop and then it became incredibly irregular and frustrating after that for the next 6 months. Just in the past few months the bleeding has died down a lot and it’s isn’t so irregular but I am now experiencing other negative side effects. For instance, I have ALWAYS had dry skin but now I have oily skin and it is giving me terrible acne. Also I generally feel very bloated. I know this is different for everyone, but to be honest I’ve talked to several pharmacists and they’ve told me that Nexplanon is a very new drug with very little studies. So if you are unsure of whether or not to get Nexplanon my advice is to look elsewhere for the fact that you really don’t know how this will affect you whatsoever and it is unsettling to know that they are still collecting data on this BC."

Jordan April 4, 2018

"I've had nextplanon inserted in 2015. It made my acne really bad but otherwise I was happy with it because I didn't have any other side effects. I had it removed and replaced in Feb 2018 and my period started a week later and hasn't stopped since, into the 6th week now and feeling very frustrated and tired. I also feel emotional and bloated. I have spoken to my doctor and was told to take iron supplements and hang on for another 4 weeks to see if the bleeding changes and then make a decision to remove it. I'm really hoping that it stops as this is a very convenient method of birth control and it worked really well for me the previous time. The side effects for each person will vary as our bodies are unique. You can only tell if it's good for you or not if you've tried it but there are many other options."

Aaliyah (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 3, 2018

"Have had nexplanon for three months the insertion wasn’t too bad and I have had none of the negative side effects (nonstop spotting, weight gain, mood swings etc.). My period is still occurring normally although I am hoping it might eventually stop. I really don’t have anything negative to say about nexplanon it was definitely the right birth control option for me."

em (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2018

"I’m 18 and I’ve had nexplanon since December 2018 and my experience with it is good! When I first got it inserted I instantly got a reaction just 1 hour after getting it. My body rejected it at first and it made me throw up and I couldn’t breath so had to go to the hospital and they told me that people experience it differently. So the nurse gave me benedryl. They also said there will be more bruising. I just had one little dot on my arm and no bruising. Only got my period once and never got it again. I may have some cramps but not bad."

Anonymous April 2, 2018

"I have LOVED this form of birth control. I’ve had it a little over a year. No period since inserting and not many side effects. I’ve had some weight loss, not too bad. Everyone reacts differently but this is the birth control for me."

Savanah April 2, 2018