User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

2041 Ratings with 2085 User Reviews

What next?Compare all 239 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"Getting nexplanon in and out was the easy part - really didn't hurt much more than a shot in the arm. I had mine put in this past February during my period. Once my period stopped, I spotted for about 3 weeks, nothing terrible. Then the rest of it hit. Mood swings worse than when I was pregnant, crying over little things, angry, just not me. Also felt like constant PMS - bloating, sore breasts, back ache. Gained about 10 pounds. Also had worse acne than when I was a teen. The frequent headaches (migraines sometimes) were annoying. I had nexplanon out 3 days now. I feel so much better and calmer. No headaches and no PMS."

MsShell (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2016

"Got nexplanon in April 2016. was fine for first 2 months but had my regular periods, didn't think much from it because at least I didn't have to remember to take a pill. The 3rd month came and got my period for 16 days.. and then continuously with 4-7 day breaks. Light periods no cramps (normal for me) but more frequent. I'm in my 4th month now and on my 21st day of my period.. it was light for the first 16 days and now heavier. I get headaches and I am lethargic. called my doctor to get it taken out but the cant get me in until december...that's 3 months away! Not knowing how much longer my period was gonna last (doesn't feel like it's stopping anytime soon) called again and had to beg for sooner appt. I go in in 2 weeks. Don't recommend."

Alyssa 24 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2016

"Have had the nexplanon since mid-April 2016. It has been extremely effective and so much easier than taking the pill. The downsides are more frequent periods, longer periods, and the worst, major change in my mood. Major mood swings and as someone who already suffers from anxiety/depressing, this implant made self management of keeping those at bay, impossible. It's great for its effectiveness but i personally can't handle the side effects."

RayCharles1230 September 25, 2016

"I would not recommend this to anyone. When it came to putting it in I'm told it's nothing more than a small pinch. I couldn't use my arm for 3 days from the intense pain of getting it inserted. Then I'm told it will help regulate my period, we'll that couldn't have been farther from the truth. Periods lasting 12-14 days cramps and all, and spotting the rest of the month almost completely non stop for over 18 months. Then I finally give up and have it removed. It's only then that I'm told the longer it's in the harder it can be to get back out. The doctor ends up spending 25 minutes digging around trying to get ahold of it. Day 5 of severe arm pain."

S. Tuck September 25, 2016

"I got my period a week after nexplanon was inserted into my arm march 2015. Then I didn't have a period for a year and a half... I got a Pap smear two months ago and ever since then I've been getting my period. It's extremely heavy, painful, tender breasts. I've experienced all of the side effects of this birth control and it's not fun. The only plus side is not having to remember to take a pill everyday. The worst part is the random heavy periods but it seems like everyone is experiencing this. My doctor told me it was normal!"

Kk23558 September 24, 2016

"I got nexplanon during early August 2016. let's start with getting it in. The only painful part really was the needle (and that's a lot from me because I hate needles!) I usually get my period on the 22nd of each month and I guess my body continued to like that day because even on nexplanon i got my period the 22nd. This period was HEAVY. The heaviest I've ever had. I had HUGE blood clots and it was so painful. It stopped after a week and now I'm just lightly spotting. Ive only had it for a month so I'm going to hang in there. It's light like i could just wear panty liners, but constant blood is inconvenient. I haven't had horrid side effects yet. maybe increased anxiety? I already have anxiety disorder so tricky to tell"

karkarr009 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

"I've been on nexplanon for a little over 2 yrs now. For the most part I think it is best form of birth control. I had a normal length period the month after I got and I didn't have another one for an entire year. When I did have another one it lasted for a little over two weeks and then I had another one a month after and that lasted around two weeks. 2 months later and I haven't had one sense. I will say that I do believe it causes mood swings because I have found myself to be extra emotional for no apparent reason. The biggest reason why I love it is because my boyfriend and I have been together for a year and we've only used a condom twice and I still haven't gotten pregnant so it's extremely effective."

Linds000 September 24, 2016

"I got the nexplanon bar in February. The insertion of the devise didn't hurt at all. My arm was just kind of sore the next day like someone pinched my arm fat. The bad thing was I had my period for 3 months, sometimes super heavy and sometimes barely there. After that time I haven't had a period since and I'm clearly not pregnant so I'd say it works pretty damn good as long as you're patient."

000098251847 September 23, 2016

"So, I switched from Depo to Nexplanon simply so I didn't have to go to get a shot every 3 months. It saved me seem having to leave work and use vacation time. I've been using Nexplanon for alost 5 months now, and in the beginning, I liked it, but now... it's a totally differentry story. I haven't had the majority of the side effects, but I've had 2 that bother me the most: extreme breast tenderness and an increase in my acne. I hate it! I guess I'm going to go back to Depo soon because I was on that for 8+ years and never had a problem until I switched to Nexplanon. It really sucks and I feel pretty hideous and disgusting. I had more confidence in myself on my last BC method."

Mehhhh... (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

"I got my implant in August of 2013. I have not had any problems with it. I stopped having a period until not the next January but the one after. I bled for the entire month, but I was not upset about it because over a year without a period, I'll take bleeding for a month. Haha :) yeah, I've had some spotting here and there but nothing that has really effected me. I didn't experience any weight gain. (And I have to say, birth control doesn't make you gain weight. It increases your appetite, so if you eat healthy you would be fine.) I absolutely love nexplanon."

19inlove September 22, 2016

"I have had the bar for over 6 months now. For the first 6 months i experienced no bleeding with some cramping. (Before being on bc i hardley ever experienced cramps & they were minor. My flow was regular, not too heavy.) I got my period about 3 weeks ago. It went on for 2 weeks before starting to lighten up, then suddenly got heavy and VERY painful. I have never experienced cramps like this, even when I messed up my cycle bad on the pill. I am in pain all day, sometimes I cant even move. Made an appt with my doctor to talk about it, not sure yet if I will get it removed. I dont know what to do, i kept forgetting to take the pill on time so thats not an option for me, I just want my natural cycle back. Might stop taking bc alltogether."

SaraSunshine September 21, 2016

"Have had Nexplanon for a year. Pros: No pregnancy, no daily pill, no headaches, no mood swings, no loss of sex drive, long stretches w/no period. Cons: Terrible insertion experience, lengthy periods, weight GAIN!!! Insertion - First off, getting this thing inserted was a nightmare. I had to go back about 4 times due to pain, infection and immobility in my arm. Now I have scars/keloids so bad I am considering a tattoo to cover them. Cycle - Long stretches w/no period, but when I do get it, it lasts for 2 weeks-1 month! Weight - Had Norplant for years and NO side effects. I heard of others having weight gain but I never did. With Nexplanon, I have gained 30 pounds and NOTHING I DO takes the weight off. Strongly considering getting it removed."

Kelly_t0 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2016

"I've had this thing in my arm for a little over a year. First, my periods are so random, and last for weeks at a time. I've gained 35 pounds despite my increase in workouts!!! My depression/anxiety is at an all time high, which makes it hard to do just about anything let alone have sex, WHICH IS THE REASON I HAVE THIS DANG THING IN THE FIRST PLACE. I get nauseous very easily and suddenly. I also tend to have headaches that last for days on end. This implant has caused me more problems than having a second child would have! I have an appointment with my Doctor to remove it, and I cannot wait to be done with this thing and feel like myself again. It might be convenient ladies, but it just isnt worth it."

nonexplanon (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2016

"I have had this thing in my arm for a month and I've bled pretty much the whole time. I've also had mood swings. They should take this off the market. According to all the reviews I've read, it looks like a lot more that 1 in 10 women have had bad changes in their cycle. This is ridiculous! I cant even have sex if I wanted to!! I am going to give this thing 2 more months and if this continues I am going to have it removed pronto!"

Bloody Frustrated! September 20, 2016

"I got my implant in late June of 2015 because I was told by a colleague that her periods completely stopped immediately after she got the implant. I was sexually active at the time, and the thought of not having periods intrigued me. I had my period the week before I got my implant. My period skipped a month after the implant. Then the second month, I was bleeding heavily and then it became spotty over the course of two months. Then my period stopped completely for 10 months until late Aug of 2016. Now I've been bleeding off and on for almost a month and I hope it stops soon. I haven't had acne or mood swings while on the BC. I did have weight gain (30 pounds)."

Coconutty (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2016

"I've been on the nexplanon for about 3 years now and now all of the sudden I have gotten my period 3xs in august and twice this month of september is that normal while being on this birth control.Am waiting for my doctor to call me back to see what are my options any ideas or suggestions on what I should do"

Ashley salgado September 19, 2016

"Let me just start with this: I'm an extremely anxious person. Condoms and the pill were not enough, there was too much room for error. Condoms breaking. Forgetting a pill. Whatever. So I did a lot of research and decided on the Nexplanon, and I'm in love. I have had it for about 8 months and for me, the only side effects have been slight breast tenderness and a little bit of acne. Though my periods are irregular, I have fewer cycles than before Nexplanon. My arm bruised up a bit after the insertion, but it healed up in about a week. I don't have to worry about the pills or the condoms, and it's so great. It's worth a shot! Some hormones work differently with others and you'll have to figure that out for yourself, but I love mine!"

tanpom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2016

"I've had my implant for 2 years now. When I first got it, I was finishing out my menstrual cycle & asked the Heath care provider if it was going to be an issue. I was told that my cycle would be fine. I spotted on & off for 3mo. But after, I was having cycles regularly. Then, I was bleeding for a month straight. After that, I didn't get my next cycle for 4 months. During that time, I had switched jobs & was working around alot more females than originally. I've been an emotional wreck the entire time & have had terrible mood swings. It's effective with not getting pregnant, but it takes an emotionally strong person to deal with the side effects of it. Wouldn't recommend for everyone, but it is good for a changing schedule everyday."

Emotional wreck (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2016

"I started Nexplanon in July of 2014. I had a period almost non-stop for a year with maybe 1-2 weeks break here and there. After the first 3 months I wanted it out, but my doctor encouraged me to wait a little longer since it can take time to adjust. So being the trooper I am, I left it in. After the first hellish year, I stopped having a period completely. That part was fantastic. I did experience bloating, INSANE mood swings and breakouts though. But of course, after a period-less year, I started bleeding nonstop again in June until a week ago when I finally had the implant removed. The other side effects were a lot already...add the non stopping bleeding and I just couldn't handle it. It just wasn't for me."

Tayrab (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2016

"The first month I had it in I was supposed to start my period but I didn't start it til two weeks later it lasted about a week then spotting for a few days after that; since then I have not had a period. I like that I don't have to worry about a period at all. I am 5'1 and started weight 130 when I started right now I weigh 133, I did go up to 148 but that was due to a medical issue completely apart, after being treated I am going back to my usual weight. I did actually lose a bit a weight the first few months while on it. I will say the annoying part is minor fatty parts I cannot seem to get rid of, that being my arms and upper back/hormonal weight? I have since gone Vegan and exercise a bit more too."

donna1h3rr3rA (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

"I've been on my period for over 5 months.. it sucks. Sometimes I'm light or spotting and then randomly I'll get heavy. I haven't stopped bleeding since I got it. And I hear it takes months to end the bleeding but it seems like it'll never end. Ita not what I thought it would be."

Joeysreview September 16, 2016

"I got Nexplanon in January, and the doctor assured me the side effects would go away after 2-4 months. It's now September, and there's no end in sight. I have literally bled constantly (either on my period or heavy spotting) every single day for 8 months. Now I'm on my period and it's lasted 2 wks and it just keeps going, so I'm getting the implant taken out. I'm fed up. I also got moderate, daily headaches for the first 6 months, periods of acne off and on, and I've been more moody and depressed. Yes, it's great that I don't have to remember to take a pill every day. But I have to remember to wear a pad/tampon, and b/c of the moods and bleeding I've only had sex a handful of times in the last 8 months. It's not worth it. I'm done."

Rachel7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2016

"I just got my Nexplanon taken out after the full 3 yrs and the same day I got another one put in. I LOVE this birth control! I totally understand that everyone reacts differently to things but I truly believe it is worth sticking it out for the first 6 months and THEN decide if you want it taken out. Nexplanon helped me clear up my acne and controlled my weight and I had barely any periods throughout the 3 years I was on it. It is amazing to not have to stress out about a pill every day and not have to go pick up a prescription every month. The ONLY downside is getting it taken out takes a little while and if you're squeamish it can be a little uncomfortable but the insertion is so quick and easy you barely even notice it happening! love it"

Purrincess (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2016

"Had this put in February 2016 having it removed next month. My period comes twice a month for 7 days. I've always suffered from migraines this just makes me have them more often. No regularity to when the cycle starts. It's comes on for a week then off for 3 days then on another 5 days, then off for almost 3weeks, then comes back again super heavy. I can't deal with the irregularities of it. While I was on the Depoprovera for 20+ yrs I never had a cycle & it was great. I wanted a birth control with no maintenance & this was suggested. Also I've noticed no libido. I don't crave it anymore & when I do have intercourse it doesn't feel the same like I'm trying too hard to get excited. Having it removed & going back to what works for me."

GoingbacktoDeporovera (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2016

"My experience was HORRID. I got the Implanon as a 18 year old, it made me moody. It made me BREAK out with cysts. I got it in July of '12 and got it removed in December of '12. Not to mention, I gained back the weight I had lost the year prior. It was hell. But.... My doctor convinced me to give it another shot so I got it May of '16 and got it removed today! When I was on it, I was moody, depressed, spotting for three months, not to mention gained the weight I lost while being off of it. I would recommend for you to do Your research. If you're sensitive to hormones, it is NOT worth the money. My friend has the same thing, she has no symptoms and it's a breeze for her. For me it made me into a grumpy Shrek. Therefore, I would never get th"

VictoriaVinns September 16, 2016