User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"The implant is very effective for preventing pregnancy. The only issues I had was the side effects. It make me extremely sleepy and Exhausted. The side effects didn't kick in right away but after some type I notice the changes and decided to have it removed. I am no longer feeling tired and sluggish."

Ambition1234 January 16, 2017

"I first got on the nexaplon in August of 2015. It was fine at first no periods only major migraines. A few months after getting it I had to have it removed because it had moved and began growing into the muscle of my arm. It took almost 2 hours of digging to get it out. I have endometriosis and I have tried almost every birth control to help. My Dr urged me to try the nexaplon again so I did in August 2016. I have lost all desire to have sex. Not to mention its painful. I have pain in my arm constantly from the implant. My mood swings are killer. One minute I'll be happy and the next ready to strangle someone. I now have severe depression and severe panic attacks. I have had 4-5 month long periods on it. Definitely don't recommend it."

Tiffie1992 January 16, 2017

"I couldn't handle taking a pill everyday nor could I have anything inserted inside me, so I have been on the nexplanon for 5 months I bled for the first month but my doctor gave me pills and it stopped I'll stop having period for about 2 months and I'll come back for about 2 weeks then go away again. I had one big cramp a week after I started but that was it. I love it and I'm not pregnant it works I'm just afraid I might gain wait I haven't too much yet so I'll stay active and do far so good!"

ShinyDiamonds January 16, 2017

"I got this put in October of 2014. I bled for 3 months straight. Called the doctor and she said give a few months. The bleeding stopped. Didn't have my period for over a year. Middle of June 2016, I started to get my period all the time and it won't stop. It's random, some heavy some light. I didn't know when to put a tampon in. It got really annoying. I called my doctor and she put me on meds to stop the bleeding. It only stops it when I'm on the pill.. I have had severe depression where I hate myself. I have anxiety attacks everyday it seems like. I feel so insecure. I thought I was in bad shape, but now thinking back and doing the math my depression and anxiety have only gotten 29383x worse since I've been on this. My mood swings sucks."

kenzoooo January 15, 2017

"I got the birth control in May of 2015 my acne has been more horrible than ever before, and my mood swings have gotten worst than ever, I would be perfectly fine than I turn to being angry and sad. For the last 6 months I've been having heavy periods with spotting all the time and horrible cramps. I also gained weight like crazy, when I got it I was 92 lbs and now it's January 2017 I weigh 175 and it's seems impossible to lose the weight."

Nichay January 15, 2017

"I've been on nexplanon for 3 months now. 2 weeks after the insertion instead of a period I spotted for 2 weeks and had mild cramps but nothing too bad, after the spotting was over it has been a bless, I worry less about pregnancy and so far no period, no weight gain ,no acne. Don't knock it till you try it"

Mrs.spongebob January 14, 2017

"So far have been on this birth control about 2 months....noticing strong mood swings to.the point im verbally abusing my kids by using swear words constantly. I have no patience at all. Broke down crying tonight trying to figure out what was wrong with me and why I was so on "edge" and impatient with My babies. Then I remembered the implant and maybe it's causing me to have extreme mood swings. Also slight cramping that never really goes away. I've been eating like a pig and my teenage acne days are upon me again. This is my first time ever using birth control. Really sucks I was thinking bc would be a walk in the park but so far it's causing me to become a mad woman."

Lauren8813 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

"I got this in August 2016, the only part that hurt was the numbing shot. I got my period when I usually did yet it was SO heavy and SO painful. The blood clots were very large also which was horrible. My first three periods were very heavy to the point where I was debating if I should take it out as well as they were slight prolonged (about a week and a half) Then I skipped my period for two months and now my period is prolonged (It's been almost two weeks). my period was about to end normally, I felt myself get off my period and so I decided to have sex. The day after I start bleeding again and it's just blood clots and brownish red blood? I'm just hoping my body is cleaning out the two month build up. Overall not bad and no side effects"

not too bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

"Got this inserted in August of 2016 and it was the best decision I ever made. I had a bruise for about two weeks on the insertion site, but have only had 2-3 days of spotting since then, have lost weight from going off the pill, and haven't had any UTI's since insertion (I got them once every 2-3 months before the implant). The only complaint I would have is that it has made me break out, but that could potentially be attributed to stress."

Kwalt13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

"Like most people, I was extremely nervous about the procedure to get this birth control inserted. However, I was so done having to take an oral contraceptive everyday and just wanted something that was less of a hassle. After discussing different options with my OBGYN, we decided on NEXPLANON. It only took a week from talking with my doctor before the actual procedure. I had watched multiple youtube videos on the process and was extremely nervous. My doctor did an excellent job talking me through everything he did and I honestly didn't feel a thing. It was so quick and easy! I didn't have any bruising or side effects after the insertion. Its been a little over a month and nothing! Its awesome."

TWelch16 January 12, 2017

"After reading ONLY bad reviews I was so scared to get it. But what made me more scared, was thinking I was pregnant every time my period came even one day late. I now have unprotected sex almost every day with my boyfriend and I have had a normal (little lighter actually) period. Don't let the reviews scare you. It was worth being crabby for a couple months. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

"Terrible! First year was ok, I gained weight tho but I didn't have periods. But second year is a nightmare! Irregular bleedings, pain, cramps and mood swings. Painful pimples appeared every time I had bleedings. Now I can't wait to remove it, I hope that I will recover. Never recommend to anyone!"

OlgaBu January 12, 2017

"It's effective in no getting pregnant but my experience has been horrible I have a 7 month old and got this at the postpregnancy checkup ..It was okay at first...then I started to bleed it was light but changed and I as on my period for almost 3 months straight it stopped finally but then would start again very irregular ...it might be regulating but I get my period and it lasts almost a week and half on Christmas then gone but came back extremly heavy a couple of days into new years..on top of that I've been tired no sex drive and depression. .I get upset and cry and very insecure I get bad mood swings. I hate it. I have a doc appointment th e 23rd Jan to see a doc to get it removed or see my options !! BUT everyone is diff. This is just me"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2017

"I chose the Nexplanon as my birth control in hopes of staying safe in an easier way. When I first got it I spotted for about 2 weeks. After that I didn't have a period from February 2016- August 2016. Right before I had my period I noticed I was really dry and felt as if I really was in need of having a period. Talk about period withdraws!! Literally a few days after I started feeling like that I started my period. I noticed my period was very light and lasted for a week. Then I spotted for another month. I haven't had a full period since then but sometimes when I have sex I do notice I may bleed as if i'm on my period. This is my normality right now."

PrinV (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2017

"I've had this in for a few months and I love it. It's made my migraines less severe, my periods are much lighter; but occasionally longer. It's effectively eliminated my bloating, cramping, mood swings, and I have far less blood sugar drops. I feel like I'm able to pay attention better and I can stop struggling to get through my cycles."

AfromB January 11, 2017

"I started off with implanon, I loved it and was great. When it timed out the doctors switched my implanon out with nexplanon, assuring me it was an even better form of implanon. What I can tell you is that the nexplanon is highly effective, no pregnancy scares here. But what I can tell you is I've had some of the worst cramps of my life on this. Sometimes it's regular cramps and sometimes it's so severe I throw up. I have stuck it out for over a year with nexplanon but after no explanations for the pain- I am ready to have it removed. The three years on implanon were good but nexplanon is not so much. And don't get me started on the day to day feeling of just being sick all the time. I hope this post help some of you."

Jazzterchic January 11, 2017

"I have had the nexplanon for 2 years and I absolutely hate it. It's made me have very bad mood swings and also weight gain. I've gained about 25 pounds from it and am very active and cannot loose the weight. I'm planning on getting it removed this month coming. its been very effective but its the side effects that make it awful."

brittany355420 January 11, 2017

"I've been on this birth control for almost two years now. I started bleeding a week after it was inserted and have not stopped since. I've been bleeding for a year and 8 months straight now. Some days it's light and others it's extremely heavy. Planning on getting it removed this month."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 10, 2017

"100% effective. Nobody wants to have sex with a moody miserable sad person covered in cystic acne! You will most definitely not get pregnant using this...."

Well it works.... (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

"This was the first birth control I have ever used. I'm in my early 20's so I thought this would be the best option. Co worker of mine swore by it, the only thing she warned me about was slight spotting for the first month. Two weeks after getting the implant I bled for almost a month straight! Not harmless spotting either, some days a light tampon or pad, and other days it was much heavier. I stopped bleeding for two weeks and now I'm bleeding again, for the past week. I haven't even been on this for 6 months yet and I'm ready to get it removed. Almost every review I read says how much these women have bled. Not a fan."

Bri09587 January 9, 2017

"This is my second round of three years each I am on about year four. I feel like I've never been without my period, I have my period for 2 to 3 weeks at a time it goes away or maybe a week or two if I'm lucky and then I go again for 2 to 3 weeks it's not even a monthly thing anymore. When I do have my period it is dark and very chunky. Sex life is stinks I only have a week a month if I'm lucky. I'm 34 and I already have kids I don't want to switch birth control because I was on the Depo shot was when I got pregnant with my first child. None work but this and it's probably because you can't have sex when your always bleeding"

Mommyflapjack (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

"So.. this thing works. However, I'm on month 11 out of 12 for the first year. Been bleeding ever since I got it. I would have a few weeks of clear, normal discharge. But then the bleeding would start again. It's gotten worse. I went in to my doctor at 6 months, because what I was told is that the bleeding would subside by then.. they told me to wait it out, because it was such a comittment I'd made. As if I should act like this ok that I continue to bleed so much. It just sucks that it didn't work like I expected. I have one more month that I'm gonna try and give it a chance.. but honestly I'm so over it. Sometimes there were days were I got so depressed. Sigh. Hope the bleeding stops soon.."

BloodQueen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

"I been on nexplanon going on 3 years in July I can honesty say this is the worst birth control ever please don't make the same mistake I made I suffer mood swings depression long period that last for 2 week maybe more my sex drive was so low, I had anxiety attacks, bad acne, yeast infection and weight gain. This birth control will make u so mean and grumpy the only good thing about this product is you can't get pregnant unless it is inserted incorrectly in your arm. Out of all the stuff I have gone through I never gotten pregnant so it does it job. But who want to put up with the horrible side effects? but everybody body different "

Gabrielle223 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 7, 2017

"I have been on numerous birth controls, but I got a blood clot about a year ago and I am no longer allowed to be on estrogen for the rest of my life so I started on the progesterone pills and they didn't stop my period so I got this implant and I have been straight bleeding for about three months straight with no break. Not even kidding this birth control is the worst and this isn't just spotting it's heavy bleeding, I'm never happy anymore either I've had it for about five months and I'm getting it taken out to put and IUD in I can't even believe they market this as a valid birth control what woman would want such an irregular period"

Stargirl123456 January 7, 2017

"I've been on the implant for two years now & the first year was smooth sailing but the 2nd year I started gaining a lot of weight & having uncontrollable mood swings. Also because of the weight gain it's hard to feel in my arm. I'm hoping to have it removed soon."

2thick January 7, 2017