User Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

Nexplanon Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2020

“Let me just say “Wow YEAH TO ALL THESE REVIEWS!! ALL FACTS!!” Gosh dammit I hate all these mood swings. My boyfriend said it’s like I have an on/off switch to my moods that occurred every 10 minutes. I’ve always had the same thoughts that make me depressed and stressed. I’ve had this nexplanon for a month already and now my same thoughts that I think about everyday before this BC are making me hella suicidal. I’ve decided to live in my car just to get away from my problems from my place. Probably going to regret moving in my car once I remove this implant. DO NOT GET THIS!! Especially if you already have mental issues. Unless you only want to get it so you don’t have to deal with getting pregnant”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 27, 2020

“I had one of the worse experiences with Nexplanon. I had mine in for a little over a year , I’m a weightlifter so I have to stay in a certain weight class. Before my 2nd year started I was weighing 169ish then I went up a weight class. Now I weight 196 and I just got my implant removed. It made me gained 20 pounds and also while having this birth control it made me very angry and sad. It caused depression and no one knew what I felt like. Everyone told me to stop eating but it made me very hungry. It did clear up my acne though, I would also bleed for about 2 months straight not like a heavy bleed but a light which ruined my underwear. If you can deal with this by all means it’s for you, not everyone who has had this birth control experienced what I did. My sister loved hers but I hated mine ! All I know it didn’t get me pregoo!”

Ari · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2020

“Honestly Nexplanon is different for everyone I am sure. I got mine back in May 2019 and I was doing just fine for the first couple of months! No periods and no cramps. Fast forward couple of months later and I started getting canker sores in my mouth each time before my period and IBS . I also started having my period again and MAJOR cramps, my sex drive plummeted completely. Very bad acne break outs and had 2 panic attacks and ever since I feel like I had anxiety and had to cut back on caffeine. I never had these issues before so I’m convinced that the implant caused the root of these problems. I’ll give it a 3 because no pregnancy! I just wouldn’t recommend this to anyone with existing mental health issues. Unfortunately it was not for me, getting it removed tomorrow and maybe trying the pill.”

Steph · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 21, 2020

“My experience with Nexplanon has been very good (2.5 years now)! My periods stopped completely once the implant was placed. The only time I get my period is following a particularly stressful/anxious month. The implant does seem to amplify some of my PMS symptoms right before those few periods I do get. Breast tenderness is off the charts, abdominal cramping, fatigue. Other than than those few times per year I do get a period, the only other consistent side effect has been maybe 10 lbs of weight gain/difficultly losing weight. But that has been pretty easy to live/cope with.”

missy July 21, 2020

“Ive always had irregular periods since I started at 13. I've also always had very heavy periods lasting around 5-7 days. I tried the birth control pill for 3 months about 2 years ago and wasn't able to take it regularly, so after about 9 months of being off of birth control I was ready to try something a little more low maintenance! I had my nexplanon inserted a year ago and was aware of the possible side effects, but I didn't expect to experience so many! Ever since I got the implant I have had even HEAVIER periods lasting a solid 7-10 days each on average. I even had a period that lasted 21 days straight of heavy bleeding. In the last 5 months, I've had these heavy, 7-10 day periods 2-3 times a month. I've also gained nearly 20 lbs since getting it. My acne is worse, I've had mood swings, and I now have back/butt acne which I didn't have before. I just made an appointment to get the implant removed and I'm so excited. Please be prepared to experience symptoms if you choose the nexplanon.”

Jo · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 30, 2020

“I've had Nexplanon for about three years, and recently got it renewed. I've had a lot of sex, and not once did I ever get pregnant. I never gained weight while on this product, and I've eaten the same way. Really the only issue is I get anxious a lot more easily, and my period didn't completely stop, but everybody's body reacts differently. Personally, nexplanon is great for me, but it definitely isn't for everybody.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2020

“I’ve had the worst experience on this birth control and I’ve decided on having it removed ASAP! The beginning I didn’t notice anything unusual as I was only 2m PP, but now after having it for 7 months my moods are all over the place I feel like a crazy person at times. I have to wear a pad now everyday going on 2 months. Noticed a change in vaginal odor (when I wasn’t bleeding). I feel light headed at times and weak. My sex drive is non existent but more so now since I’m always on a period I don’t even want to be bothered ”

Anonymous June 23, 2020

“Getting Nexplanon was the worst decision I ever made. I was never told when I got this that there could be any issues when getting it removed. I tried to get it removed the doctor couldn't find it so I had to go to a special doctor to get it removed. When I got there she wasn't even aware of what I was there for didn't end up doing anything for me and I got stuck paying a bill of $145. I ended up having to get a sonogram of my arm to determine where the BC is and now I'm stuck paying a bill of over $500, when getting it implanted and removed should be free. When I called Nexplanon about this all the lady said was I don't know what to tell you, she offered me zero help and when I asked to speak with a manager I was told there wasn't one. I can't even make an appointment to get this out right now because I don't know how I'm going to pay for it since I'm stuck paying a bill for $500 right now and I'm assuming to get it out will cost even more then that.”

Hormonal Human · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 18, 2020

“I have had this for about 2 and a half years now. It has really taken a toll on my life. I’m either feeling sad or mad. I have no sex drive. The weight gain is ridiculous, I gained 20 pounds since being on this birth control. Losing weight is so hard, I can workout and fast and I only lose a pound. I didn’t have a period for the longest time and now I randomly have my period or spotting. I can’t even track it properly because it’s a mess. Don’t get me wrong if you can handle all of this then this is a product for you. The birth control part of it is great.”

Cjoyce100 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 15, 2020

“Bled for weeks and weeks and would spot between my long periods. Big mood swings and made me constantly fatigued. I tried it for 6 months to see if my symptoms improved but they did not.”

Lucy · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 10, 2020

“I’ve had the Nexplanon for about two years now. The insertion process for me, was very comfortable and simple (only a little pinch and then some pressure). My period stopped completely and I got slight bleeding every once in a while (not even enough to wear anything). Although, I have been slowly gaining weight over the past two years. When the implant was inserted I weighed around 150 pounds, I am now up to 180 with little to no lifestyle changes. My appetite is crazy and once I start eating I don’t want to stop. Recently, my back acne has had an extreme flare up which doesn’t make sense to my normal skin. During the summer, I typically clear up due to the sun, but since I’m on my last year of Nexplanon my acne is out of control. I rarely get period pains but on occasion there’s cramps. I want to get it removed but the corona virus makes me nervous.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 8, 2020

“Getting Nexplanon was the WORST decision I have ever made. Decided to trust the research I did- which was all from the drug company and Planned Parenthood. When I first got it I was severely bruised for two weeks, my whole arm was swollen and painful, and the whole time I had it it would poke inside my arm which was very uncomfortable and I was always scared it had moved. I was so anxious that I had to stop intaking caffeine, I would cry all the time for no reason and I was so depressed I wanted to die. I gained like 30 pounds over the course of six months, because the places I'd researched said that weight gain was not considered a real side effect. When I finally got this abomination out, it took MONTHS to get back to normal and for my hormones to settle again. This is NOT worth it, I am begging you please don't get this and read forums with people's real experiences if you do decide to do so!! Extreme weight gain is a very common side effect! I felt like I lost control, it was horrible.”

KatG June 8, 2020

“I wanna start by saying people usually only write these reviews if they are unhappy. Your body could react differently you just never know until you try it. I used Nexplanon for about 3 months. Almost immediately I would get these waves of nauseousness and I would feel like I needed to throw up, and diarrhea at the same time. My entire body would severely sweat and my heart would beat like crazy. Later, I found out it was actually just a panic attack. Anyway, these nausea waves lasted a good 2 weeks, and then completely stopped. And everything was great. No period. No nausea, no depression. Absolutely nothing and I was very happy. Then.. just about 2 weeks ago my anxiety has become so bad that I literally can not leave my house. The nausea is back, I have crying spells and I seriously just feel HORRIBLE mentally. Prior to this, I do have a long history with mental illness, but never like this. I’m removing it tomorrow for my own health.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2020

“Nexplanon is overall a good birth control. My periods became irregular when I first started Nexplanon but now they are back to normal. I also get brown spotting but not too often. But it has caused my hair to thin out and it sheds easily. So much comes out when I comb or brush it. My hairdresser says the same thing has happened to her daughter who also has Nexplanon. But it’s better than getting pregnant so I will be getting it again in December because my three years on it are almost up.”

v · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

“Once I had nexplanon put in I bled for over 3 months. I also had side effects of horrible acne and skin, mood swings and a smell down there.”

lulu · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 6, 2020

“So I’ve been on nexplanon for just over 2 years and I’m now thinking of getting it removed. The first year and a half were amazing, I didn’t bleed, no mood swings and I basically forgot I had it all together so it was definitely worth it. However, over the last 6 months I have had insane mood swings and as an already anxious person it’s been really awful. I spoke to my GP and got put on the pill along side my implant nonstop for 3 months which seemed to help while I was on it. As soon as I had my first period after this it was ridiculously painful and my mood swings were out of control. I’d hoped the pill would stabilise everything but it was only temporary so for my mental health I’m getting it removed. Even though the last 6 months haven’t been great I really recommend nexplanon, it was fab for quite a while and if the pill isn’t a great fit for you this is the way to go. I’m thinking I’ll get mine replaced early as it has been so good.”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

“Really like Nexplanon! Especially because I am someone who can never remember to take pills! This was the first form of birth control I every tried. A great option because an IUD is kinda scary for a teenager! The first month I experienced some water retention and acne, but it went away super fast. Overall, recommend.”

K · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2020

“I went on Nexplanon for maybe 6 months, I didn’t bleed at all but I had zero sex drive and was severely depressed to the point of having harmful thoughts, I have had it removed for nearly 6 months now and my hormones still haven’t settled I get regular infections since and I get depressed once a month for a few days”

Anonymous June 5, 2020

“I am one of the lucky ones that has an amazing Nexplanon experience. I've had it in my arm for 2.5 years now, and I haven't had my period at all that entire time. It's super discrete in my arm. I do feel it sometimes if I cross or lay on my arms in a weird way, but any slight discomfort goes away when I shift positions and stop messing around with it. I haven't gotten pregnant, and I've probably put it to the test a time or two by this point. I haven't had any weight gain or other negative side effects, BUT I usually don't get side effects from medications. I was on the pill for 2 years and I never noticed any changes either. Overall, my positive experience is 100% worth getting a second one after this. Even if my next implant is a worse experience, I still think it's worth a shot. One pro that I considered while getting it is that I'd much rather have to get something taken out of my arm than out of my cervix if I dislike it, and I stand by that logic.”

Shannpn June 4, 2020

“PLEASE READ: Many of my friends recommended Nexplanon to me. I thought this was a wonderful idea, as I was very inconsistent on the pill (I was inconsistent). I am nearly three months into having Nexplanon, and I want to rip it out. The irregular bleeding is very light, and not an issue. Instead, it's the emotional stress. I am usually a happy-go-lucky person, and I am now so beyond depressed, can't fall asleep at night because I am profusely crying. I try to sleep throughout the day because of how sad I am, I just want to shut my mind off. My eyes are so puffy from crying. I felt borderline suicidal. I have had to start seeing a therapist, have NEVER felt this awful, depressed, guilty, paranoid, and sad in my entire life. I have no motivation. I can't get out of bed. I have even completely lost my appetite, and I throw up my food. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. And nobody warned me about these side-affects. I would never recommend this to anyone. I plan on getting it out ASAP.”

Dodzadee June 4, 2020

“I have had nexplanon implant nearly 3 years after having my son. Initially I noticed that I started experiencing headaches, period pains but without the periods and I thought I could bear this. I liked the idea of not having any periods for the whole 2 years but as soon as I started to bleed I noticed it was irregular. I didn't like this at all and sometimes noticed some blood clots. I remember at one point I had to go to the hospital for breathlessness, tiredness and had never experienced this before. I have noticed I continue to get chest pains and I have had muscle aches all over my body almost every day. I have also had panic attacks too. I have also gained weight and I don't easily do. Its due to be removed in 2 months but I am scared to get it removed because of fear of contracting Covid19. Lately, I have become bloated, have pain in my left lower abdomen and my breasts are sore. I have no idea how I can get this removed without risking my health. I want it out!”

Sfroyo · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 4, 2020

“I have been on nexplanon for a little over a year and a half. The first year was great, not a drop of blood, no crazy mood swings or weight gain. However the last 6 months I started getting a period, each time with less and less time between periods. Right now I’m going about 5-6 days without bleeding. My mood swings and depression are out of this world when I am bleeding too, which is constantly lately. Unfortunately I workout entirely too much to continue with this depressed state of mind and lazy tendencies. Getting this thing ripped out ASAP.”

bcc0601 June 4, 2020

“I have had nexplanon in my arm for almost a year now and will be scheduling an appointment to get it out. The first six months, I bled every single day. I wish that was an exaggeration. Now, I get a period every 30-40 days for about a week with spotting a lot in between. That part is annoying but I could deal with it. However, the past 2 months I have noticed horrible acne on my back. I never had acne during puberty or during my teenager years and now all of a sudden, my back is covered everywhere in acne. I have tried all kinds of solutions for it and nothing works. I have also noticed a ten pound weight gain since getting this with my lifestyle not being any different, in fact, I am actually walking more now because I want to lose it! I am also constantly tired and feel worn down. I am so annoyed with this implant I am scheming to get it out as soon as possible. The side effects aren't worth it. It does work great for not getting pregnant but I'll just go back on the pill instead.”

Molly · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

“Honestly I feel like a lot of these reviews are unfair, but to be fair it’s all about personal experience. During the time on this I have had very limited periods - amazing due to the severe PMDD symptoms I would experience on any pill. Yes during the last year of your implant you will most likely experience hormonal fluctuations, weight gain, acne, irregular periods due to the level of hormones tapering off and the nature of the drug. But the two years of pure hormonally regulated bliss is totally worth it. Also , once I started experiencing this my gyno offered to replace it early which has completely remedied any issue I have had with the medication. I have experienced stability in mood, weight and hormonal acne and I have not purchased feminine products in six years. Give it a shot and your body time to adjust, you won’t regret it.”

Kelp June 3, 2020

“I’m 19 and I have had the Nexplanon implant for around a year now. I love it so much. I haven’t got my period since I got it in. The only thing that bothers me about it is the insertion process. I got super lightheaded and had to sit down for a few minutes after the doctor put it in. I was really uncomfortable for 15 or 20 minutes after the initial insertion. Other than that, I love it and I think Nexplanon is extremely worth it for me. I have had problems with birth control pills in the past triggering my depression and anxiety but this hasn’t been a problem at all. I have had more acne than I previously did before having it inserted but that could be unrelated. I have not gained considerable weight. I’m giving it a 9 only because the insertion process was a problem for me.”