User Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

Skyla Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla

Cha · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2020

“I had nothing be issues with this Skyla IUD. The insertion was fine and wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle. But the cramps and heavy bleeding I got the whole time was crazy. I couldn’t even go to work without being in pain. My periods were worse then being on nothing. I have had Skyla for 7 months and just found out yesterday that I got pregnant while on it. It is a complete nightmare. I would not recommend this IUD to anyone”

Kmdance · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

“I got my Skyla placed yesterday. I read every single review I could and worked myself up so much that I was shaking and crying when my OBGYN came in. I wanted to share my positive experience. Let me say, it is not the worst pain I’ve ever had (I am 30 and do not have kids) It felt like an average period cramp at best when she did the first thing in and again when she placed the IUD. I was SO relieved afterwards. I took Motrin the morning of and an hour before the procedure. I was on day two of my period which I think helped tremendously. My doctor prescribed cytotec but, upon research of my own, cytotec is not shown to assist any more than just being on your period... plus it causes more pain during and after. If you’re thinking about getting one, try not to panic. I’m usually low pain tolerance and had no issues with the insertion. Afterward, I had some mild cramping which was relieved by a heating pad and ibuprofen. Just remember that everyone’s experience is different. :)”

lighterony · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 31, 2020

“I'm 18yo with no kids, I had the IUD put in October 2019. Personally, it hurt me a TON & I could barely move for the whole day after and was in tears. The cramps were wicked for a good month to month and a half and then I just got cramps every now and then. Missed my past period and started feeling weird though in March 2020. Going to get it removed most likely in the next few weeks because I don't like the irregular periods and other side effects.”

Miss Manderson May 22, 2020

“First of all, the insertion procedure with Skyla was excruciating for me. I had severe cramping, worse than anything I've ever experienced, and they help me for observation for almost an hour because I was extremely lightheaded. I had 1 week of severe cramping and was bedridden. An ultrasound confirmed that the IUD was correctly positioned. I've had mild-moderate cramping and spotting almost everyday since then, no sex drive, and gained 15 pounds in 3.5 months despite dieting and working out 6X/ wk (P90X). I am only 5'3" so 15lbs is a lot on my frame. Dieting has not helped. My blood pressure has gone up, I'm bloated all the time, and have developed some facial hair. I have decided to have the IUD removed, because I'd rather be pregnant than feel like this all the time.”

T T · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 19, 2020

“I got pregnant after 7 months of use - while it was still in, no other medications. My pregnancy was very complicated in the beginning due to having an IUD in my uterus and the baby at the same time. They have to remove the IUD hope to not interrupt the pregnancy. 50/50 change of miscarriage. It was very traumatic and stressful.”

skye · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2020

“Hello my ladies! well is my story very strange! I got my Skyla October of 2019 and have had no bad side effects from it, only good ones... until my period was late last week. Help, turns out I’m 6 weeks pregnant today. My husband and I are extremely fertile as we did get pregnant last year from BC pills! Well, here’s to my second baby❤️”

Erinrich98 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2020

“I really wanted to like the skyla, but I had a horrible experience. Getting an iud was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made. My best friend loves her skyla, has no side effects, and got another placed after 3 years, so take my comments with a grain of salt. First, insertion was the worst pain I’ve ever felt (and I’ve fractured my back in 2 places..) I threw up immediately after. Second, this gave me cystic acne. I had panic attacks before leaving my house because I was so disgusted with my face. Third, I had ovarian cysts and severe cramps. The kind of cramps that make you black out upon standing up and throw up. Fourth, I could hardly stand to have sex. If my boyfriend hit the iud, the pain was paralyzing. One pro is its efficacy. Knowing that I was virtually protected from pregnancy was empowering. It did not inherently decrease my libido, but the fear of pain and low self-esteem due to my skin made me too anxious to have sex. I did not gain weight.”

Penguin · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2020

“I got pregnant on the Skyla IUD after 2 years. I never thought it would happen to me but it did. Be careful. I recommend going with another IUD or birth control method. Use condoms.”

Kristi · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 2, 2020

“Works perfectly if you choose an abstinence lifestyle. Otherwise would not recommend as I got pregnant with one.”

Claire · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

“Best decision I’ve ever made! Please don’t let the horror stories scare you from trying the Sklya IUD. I let the negative reviews get into my head, and it caused me to put off getting my IUD for two years. Finally 5 months ago, I got the Skyla inserted. The insertion didn’t hurt at all! Just a slight cramp that lasted maybe 5 seconds. I went home and used a heating pad, but never cramped. My first period was light, right off the bat. I still get monthly periods. However, they are so light I can get away with just wearing a pantie liner. I love the freedom my IUD gives me. Not having to take a pill everyday is wonderful. It’s sooo much better than I pill. I was in the rare percent of women, who lost a lot hair while using the pill (tri nessa) the IUD never caused any hair loss, or weight gain. The first month I got a few more zits than normal. But now my skin is clear again. It’s worth a try, and remember you can always remove it.”

Positive experience so far! February 16, 2020

“Had Skyla inserted 3 months ago. Side effects: first 2 months I had the annoying spotting every day. After that I started to finally have clear days in a row. Had periods lighter but longer than usual (7-11-12d), but they should shorten now. Some PMS, nothing serious (breast soreness, mild to moderate cramps). Haven’t had any other side effects! Sex: My partner didn’t feel the strings, so I’m relieved. I didn’t have any pain during or after, no bleeding (I was scared that an “accident” might happen). Sex drive is just as high as usual. But I spotted the day after. Gym: I do CrossFit and I was scared I might get cramps or it might move, but so far so good (just minor cramping after gym in the first month). Sometimes I spot over the next hours after gym due to increased blood flow. I’m trying to be patient with all this “shedding”. Bio: 32 yrs., NP, first form of BC. I read and watched all reviews until I drove myself crazy, but decided I will give it a try! Best luck, ladies!”

Brie · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 14, 2020

“I had Skyla inserted in me when I was around 17 years old and again around the age 20 and plan on continuing this birth control. I love it! The insertion can be uncomfortable but it is quick. In my experience, I’ve had much lighter periods, however stronger cramps but they don’t last longer than two days max. I’ve been able to maintain my weight (and lose some) unlike other birth control methods which made me gain weight easily and quickly. I find this method of birth control has mixed opinions, but I truly have nothing but good things to say about it. I”

Me · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

“I got Skyla inserted at my 6 week postpartum check up. It’s been 7 months since. The first 3-6 months bleeding was random. I didn’t have heavy bleeding just small amounts but it was annoying. It’s been 2 months that I’ve gotten regular periods. I am hoping my periods stop altogether. But at least for now periods are regular.”

Karen · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 10, 2020

“I had skyla IUD inserted three years ago. I didn’t feel when it was inserted by my Doctor so I didn't experience any pain. After it was inserted I did bleed for two weeks. Some side effects after a month being on the IUD was hair loss for 6 weeks and acne for about a year. I would menstruate every 3 to 4 months. When it came to my sex life it was uncomfortable for my partner and for me at times. After all the CONS I was happy with it because I was happy with my weight there was no gain or loss. I was happy and not feeling depressed, moody, or suicidal. I had it removed last week and I didn't feel any pain when my doctor removed it. I did start bleeding the day after the removal which I was told by my doctor that it is normal.On a scale of 1 -10 I would give this contraceptive a 9. It was worth the hair loss and acne because I didn't get pregnant and It kept me focus in college.”

Diaaaaaa February 5, 2020

“I got Skyla inserted last Monday. I’ve never had any children AND my uterus is tilted. It was so painful. I went the second day of my cycle. From start to finish it was a horrible experience. My doctor had me move down as normal and put the tool in me to hold me up, she then had to open up my cervix. The cramps were so horrible. I asked for so many breaks. After the 5th or 6th attempt of being gentle, she kinda stuck it in there. I’m sure y’all can only imagine and yes it was everything and more. I literally told my doctor my cramps were at a 15 on a scale of 1 - 10. It was traumatic. Afterwards I cramped for 6 days straight. I barely ate or slept due to the cramps, by day 6 I was at the hospital begging them to take it out and Monday it got removed. I feel 100% better. OH! Also once I got it inserted I cried for 3 days straight. And I’m not a crier at all it actually irritates me. I wouldn’t recommend it, but everyone’s experience is different.”

K · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2020

“This is my fourth month with Skyla. The first month was the worst pain but I thought surely it would get better. It did not. I bleed randomly without any warnings. And I cramp almost all of the time. Today I was cramping so bad in class I was on the verge of tears. It hurt so bad my legs were aching and I kept falling asleep to avoid the agonizing pain. I don’t understand why it causes so many issues but I can’t wait to take it out. It’s just not for me.”

Jenny · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2020

“The first 3 months of my 3 years on Skyla I bled everyday. It was annoying at first but you just have to be sanitary. I get really bad migraines it came every 6 months and would last 2/3 days. It only came 3x. The migraines would be horrible but I just sucked it up and waited until they went away if it was too much I would buy OTC drug for migraines and it would work. I would sometimes get lower back aching and that meant I was going to get my period. My period also did stop coming I hardly even get my period now. By this April of 2020 will be my 3 years mark and I plan to go for round 2 :)”

Blondie January 27, 2020

“I had Skyla for 3 years and just got it replaced for a second one because it is the only bc that my body can handle. When it is placed, it can be very painful but that part should not last very long. I recommend taking some sort of pain reliever beforehand. Afterwards I have terrible cramps for the rest of the day. Last time I had gotten it, I bled for about 6 months on and off before I had regular periods which were lighter than normal with minimal cramping. I had tried the paraguard IUD in the past and bled for a year straight and became anemic because the doctor kept telling me that it would eventually stop and regulate but never did and had to get it removed. I would choose Skyla over that one any day.”

22young · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2020

“I'm 22 and don't have any children. I got the IUD inserted in April of 2019. The insertion was very painful, I had to rest the whole day because of bad cramping. The cramping lasted about a week or so but after that it was fine. My periods have been normal and monthly ever since. My cycle is pretty much the same just worse cramping but it's not a problem. I have remained the same weight since I got it which makes me happy. I haven't gotten any acne. After trying so many birth control methods I think I finally found the one for me! I recommend this”

EMMAC January 24, 2020

“I have been on Skyla for 7 months. I have a very high pain tolerance, covered in tattoos and piercings, but insertion was one of the most painful things I've ever felt. I cried in my car afterwards. I stayed in constant pain for about 3 days. That constant pain turned into pain for about 3 hours a day. When that went on for several months, I went back to my doctor. I told her I had sharp pains in my uterus that seem to come and go at random intervals. She gave me an ultrasound, took blood and urine, told me I was fine, and that I just needed to exercise to help the IUD acclimate. I walk now for 20 minutes a day and do other low impact work outs, the pain is less but I am in pain from it at least one day a week since starting to work out. I fear it's endometriosis or an ovarian cyst, but my doctor is pretty set on my weight being a factor, so I have to try and go find a second opinion in my network. Overall, no, I haven't gotten pregnant, but the trade off for me is fear and pain.”

Nicki January 18, 2020

“I became pregnant using the Skyla IUD after 3 months of insertion. Ultrasound showed the IUD was in place where it should be and had not moved down into my cervix. The IUD caused my ectopic pregnancy and inevitable miscarriage. Horrible experience. This IUD is NOT 99% effective. The first nurse I spoke to when I called my doctor told me the same thing had happened to her.”

Spotting · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

“Overall, I love it! It's super effective in preventing pregnancy and I don't have to worry about taking a pill or having my partner buy condoms. Most times I forget it's even there! However, the first couple of months were awful - I experienced a few acne flare ups, had incredibly heavy and long periods (with often times a strong scent), and I was always bloated. And don't even get me started on the sharp cramps. In between periods, I had brown discharge (normal, I know, but still very annoying). So the side effects were not pretty, I'll be honest about that. But now all is well, acne is pretty much gone, discharge is rare and no more aches and pains in my pelvis and lower abdomen. I just wish doctors were more upfront about the side effects - I know it's effective birth control but at least give us the full range of what to expect so we don't lose sleep and worry about it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

“I had the Skyla IUD put in because I thought it would keep hormones localized and not thru my whole body, and be an easy form of birth control. The insertion was awful and I had super intense cramps for months afterward, with bleeding randomly at least half the days of the month. I got horrible cystic acne, lost a ton of hair, and lost ten pounds in one month due to nausea. After four months I had it removed and instantly felt better. Two months later and my hair is growing back and acne is clearing up. The side effects were awful for me, but I have friends who love it. Depends on the person”

RNgirl January 15, 2020

“WARNING! If your body hasn’t responded well to hormonal birth control in the past, think twice about having the Skyla inserted. I had tried the pill in the past and it made me feel crazy. My gynecologist assured me that the Skyla IUD only released a very small amount of hormones locally into the uterus and wouldn’t manifest any systemic side effects. After having it placed in March 2018, I had my first panic attack in October. I became overly weepy and by the end of my time on it (I finally had it removed yesterday) I was sobbing every day for no reason, experiencing super dark thoughts, and I would lay in bed at night having panic attacks focused on my heart and breathing, chest pain, and shooting cramps. I stopped getting my period altogether. My sex drive was completely gone. Sex was painful and unenjoyable. I found myself almost completely unable to become aroused. My blood pressure skyrocketed, doctors prescribed me antidepressants and anxiety medications. Just had it removed.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 14, 2020

“I was very nervous to the get any sort of IUD because I’m 23 and have never been pregnant. I went with Skyla because I am pretty sensitive to estrogen based birth controls, and every pill I tried made my anxiety/depression unbearable. The insertion was overwhelming and painful- worst cramps of my life on ibuprofen 800. The first month or so I was very bloated and crampy. After that my body started to adjust. No issues with spotting, my period is a bit longer but much lighter (5-6 days). My anxiety seems back to the way it was before any type of BC and I’m pretty pleased. The only down side is the cramps, they’re horrible the first day of my period but I’ll take it over being a crazy anxious person. I also was getting bad acne the first 4 months but that seems to have subsided. Everyone is different but definitely need to let your body adjust. Hopefully this impression stays the same for me for the next 2 years.”