User Reviews for Skyla

Skyla Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"Non stop bleeding with Sklya!!!! Interfering with my sex life. Random painful cramps. It gets the job done though soo I guess it's ok."

Dee May 22, 2018

"I had Skyla for almost the full 3 years. There was some pain at insertion, but nothing you can't breathe through. Deep breaths helped and it was very quick. I went to work immediately after, with mild cramping throughout the day. Afterwards, my period was regular, with maybe slightly more intense cramping on the first day. I didn't have any other side effects (I've taken other birth controls that make me an emotional mess - not so with this one). It's been great to not have to take a pill every day. I recently had Skyla taken out and have replaced it with Kyleena (it lasts for 5 years) so we'll see how that goes."

dkmilton (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2018

"I got my Skyla about a month ago and so far I’m not pleased. I did take 600mg of Advil before. I was not on my period during insertion. It was like having the worst cramp ever for about 3 minutes. The cramps after and for the rest of the night were the worst I ever had in my life. It would come in waves-I’d end up on the floor in tears. The next day was not nearly as bad- I thought it was over. 4 days later I started my period and it lasted for 11 days w/ bad cramps. Normally I go for 2-3 days. I saw my doc for a check as I’ve been having sharp pain on my lower left side here and there and spotting. He said everything looked good but didn’t do an ultrasound. Cramps again after his exam and the next day I started bleeding again! Having some bad cramps and off and on bleeding 4 days after the appointment and I’m starting to feel helpless. I was expecting some symptoms-I’ve had difficulty with hormonal birth control in the past but nothing like this. May have it removed."

Kylie May 20, 2018

"I had the skyla and made sure it was in the right spot every time! Check during showers and scheduled appointments when I was told to, to make sure it hasn't moved. I found out 6 months before it was going to expire that I was pregnant! It was in the right spot but I still got pregnant. I ended up having a miscarriage right before mother's day of all days to have one!"

Tbsveryfunny (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2018

"This is a review on the insertion. I just got Skyla inserted yesterday 5/18 and I had minimal pain. My OBGYN told me to take ibuprofen before hand (which I did 1000mg). I felt a slight pinch and some pressure but nooo way as severe as other people have experienced. I haven’t had any cramping since insertion ( been about a day so far). Some slight spotting but that was to be expected. I am experiencing some slight bloating going on for some reason but nothing too bad. So far I have no complaints. It feels great to be released from having to take a pill everyday!"

Vika (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

"I had a great experience with Skyla. It is removed now only because I had it in for a full 3 years. The insertion process was discomforting and I had minor pain the day of insertion. After that, I had a little cramping from time to time. But my period went down to very little. I only needed to wear a panty liner during my periods and they were reduced from 5 days to 3 days. I really liked that part. No discomfort during sex. I recommended it to a friend and she got it too after having issues with Mirena. She loves it more than me. We both had children prior to inserting Skyla. I love it and highly recommend it."

Jen M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2018

"Hello! I am 22 years old and got my Skyla IUD January 2018 at a planned parenthood. The insertion was not as bad as I thought. It felt like a very sharp and localized period cramps. It was definitely an unpleasant experience but focus on breathing to relax. The month of February was kinda brutal in terms or cramps and spotting, but honestly I didn’t focus on it too much so it didn’t really bother me. By March my cramps were gone and so was most of my spotting. I checked my strings pretty frequently and got checked at the doctor twice just so they saw the strings but ladies DON'T freak out over the length of the strings. My periods are on time + 1 day, and I have noticed they’ve gotten longer (7 days) but lighter blood flow. Don’t get the Skyla if you get unsettled easily about your body experiencing unexpected and more persistent things like cramps or spotting. If those things don’t bother you that much, definitely get an IUD."

LH95 May 15, 2018

"I recently had the Skyla inserted after having baby #2. I almost didn’t get it because of the horrible reviews regarding the pain. My OB used some sort of liquid for numbing... not quite sure what it was but before I knew it he was asking me about summer vacation and he was done. I felt nothing at all. I will say I’m going on month 2 and I’ve been spotting since I got it. I’m going to give it another week or so and call my OB to see if there is anything I can do to stop it."

Mimi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2018

"Insertion wasn’t fun because my doctor struggled so I broke out in a cold sweat. I experienced cramping for that day and spotting for about a month. After that it’s been smooth sailing. It’s been 2 years since I had it inserted. My partner does say that the strings hit him sometimes but it doesn’t last long. My periods became lighter at first and at the 1.5 year mark basically disappeared, which is normal. The freedom Skyla gives me is amazing. Also before I had skyla inserted I suffered from ovarian cysts so bad I couldn’t walk and although I sometimes still get them, they are significantly less painful. I highly recommend it."

Flo (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2018

"Before Skyla I tried 2 other forms of birth control. Tried pills- which are hard to keep track of. I tried a birth control ring- ok but very expensive. I really wanted birth control for the obvious reason... not to have a baby. I mainly needed help because my periods without were crazy! Insane heavy periods- I’m talking hemorrhaging. Anyways I opted for Skyla because it was something I could forget about and lighten my cycle.The insertion of the IUD almost made me puke, but it was over with pretty quickly. For about 3 months I spotted AND THEN No periods at all! It was great! By month 8/9 I noticed I was spotting again and cramps were back. They range from mild to sharp pains on either side. I had check up after check up to ease my mind. I’ve had this IUD for about 2 years. My acne is worse than high school & my hair thinned out. The last few weeks I’ve spotted one week, off for one, and right back to spotting. Today I’ve scheduled a gyno visit and I’ll have this removed."

Ashley (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2018

"I had Skyla placed on Aug.15, 2017 after the birth of my first son (June 29). The placement wasn't bad, but my midwife did have to dilate my cervix again. Had some pretty good cramping for about a day and bleeding for about a week. At the end of Oct. 2017, I missed my period but figured it was the IUD has I could still feel the strings. Late Nov. 2017, I checked for the strings and couldn't feel them. I waited a day to check again but still came up empty. I called my midwife and was put in for an appointment two days later. My midwife couldn't find the strings either and ordered an internal ultrasound to check placement that very day. I found out I was almost 10 wks pregnant (ZERO symptoms) and the IUD had moved into my uterus, It wasn't safe to remove. I'm CURRENTLY 33 wks pregnant with baby #2 and have had no issues with this pregnancy relating to the IUD. I would STILL recommend, I was the FIRST person the past COUPLE OF YEARS to get pregnant on the IUD at my hospital."

Abyssus (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2018

"I had the skyla placed almost 3 years ago. I'm due to have it replaced in a few months. I had the Mirena previously and it caused so many cysts I had it removed and went with the skyla. Insertion was painful! I had to be dilated to have it inserted and I've had two kids. I experienced some cramping and spotting for about a month on and off after having it placed. After that I regularly had a light period or no period at all some months until it became completely nonexistent. Overall I feel like this is a great birth control. It has done wonders to help keep my endometriosis in check also! I have experienced the acne, weight gain or mood swings/depression others have mentioned but everyone reacts differently. I would definitely recommend this IUD. I just wish it lasted longer than 3 years!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2018

"I had my Skyla inserted today, so this review is on the insertion process. My doctor suggested I get this done one my cycle, it is day 3. I've read these reviews and I was so scared, I took a 800mg ibuprofen before the procedure. Then pain wasn't that bad a very sharp pinch when she "sounded my uterus " which did make me break out in a cold sweat.The entire process moved along smoothly. I was back at work right after. I would suggest having the rest of the day off because I am cramping really bad! Hopefully this isn't for too long, but I love the idea on not having to take birth control pills for 3 years!"

emjay (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2018

"Terrible. Insertion was ok. I ended up keeping it in for 2.5 years because I thought things would get “better.” From the beginning, I got horrible cramping (that hurt so bad I would cry in pain and miss work), and developed terrible acne. I give it 2 stars because I didn’t have a kid.... but honestly, I broke up with my boyfriend of 2.5 years after 6 months on the IUD. 6 months later, I quit my job of 3 years. 6 months after that, I had full blown suicidal depression. Almost a year later, I regret not having it removed in the first 4 months. Ladies, give it 3 months. If you don’t like it, get it out. Don’t be like me."

Anonymous April 24, 2018

"I'm about a week away from my 6 month mark with Skyla. The insertion was painful but bearable with 800mg ibuprofen & really deep breathing. Cramped for a day or 2 but heating pad really helped - felt just like heavy period cramping. My first period after insertion was VERY heavy (I had been on the pill for 10yrs so I had grown used to short, light periods) but the next few periods got lighter and lighter & stayed fairly regular (but now last closer to 7-8 days). I do still get spotting - in fact my period just ended 4 days ago & today just started spotting again. I'll get the occasional random cramp but nothing unbearable. My acne got really bad during the first few months on Skyla, but has now levelled out, & thankfully it's doing its job as I haven't gotten pregnant! Generally I like it, the side effects are less aggressive than the pill & its nice not having to remember to take one everyday. The biggest downside so far has just been the random spotting"

JG April 23, 2018

"The insertion was not fun, but bearable. It feels like the worst period cramp you've ever felt, short and condensed and sharp. The worst part, in my opinion, was the hours after it was inserted. It was inserted around 4pm and that night I had the worst cramps of my life. The only thing I could do was lay in bed in a fetal position. Ibuprofen didn't help at all!! Your uterus is used to being a sterile place, so when you get the IUD it wants to get it out, which is the reason for the cramps. That night sucked, but the next day I had minimal cramps and now (a week later) no cramps!! Yay! Be prepared for the cramps after the insertion.. They are something serious!!"

Sarah (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

"Got skyla over Summer 2017 and now it is April 2018. Insertion was pretty painful but never been pregnant before, also told I have small uterus. Before I had very regular period with maybe a minor pimple a week before and tender breasts. Post insertion had bleeding for about 3 months, range of heaviness and minimal cramping. Then period stopped completely which was great. It did its job as "activities" resumed w/ partner and it definitely did it's job because I'm not pregnant. But during intercourse both me and partner can hear clicking sound and feel it, can't feel string but if i angle my pelvis correctly the clicking goes away. Anyone experience this? also after a few months of no period, it came back full force. I'm talking breakouts, cramps, bloating, period lasts about 11 days, and my breasts are so tender I can't even touch them. Going in for an ultrasound within the next few weeks to see if it shifted. I don't really know if i'd recommend this to anyone yet."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2018

"The insertion process wasn’t too bad. There were mild period-like cramping for about two days, however, I spotted for a little over a month after. I’ve never been on birth control before and I definitely experienced mood swings with Skyla and a lack of sex drive. I even started to break out in hives and rashes!!! My boyfriend felt the strings during sex - he described it as a needle-like sensation and was even cut a few times from the strings. If you feel the strings DO NOT CUT THEM!!! This can make it worse and even make the removal process a nightmare. I it removed today and my gyno could not find the strings... it took her about 15 minutes and a sonogram to fish the IUD out. Luckily, she was able to catch them, or I would have needed surgery (this is something I was never warned about). My skin definitely changed and I even started to breakout a bit on my back. Everyone’s body reacts differently to BC but I personally wouldn’t recommend an IUD to anyone."

Sara April 16, 2018

"Love it. I wish they had this before I had kids too. I have fewer mood swings and no real sign of a period. It has super low estrogen. I recommend it to everyone."

Jayden James (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2018

"i never comment online about anything, but I do read a lot of comments to gain different perspectives. i was 35 when I first got skyla in 2015. I had had normal periods but started getting painful periods a few months before I got on birth control. I was dating someone and wanted to get on birth control. After getting it I spotted for about 4-6 weeks. Not a lot, just off and on, with random cramping. After that, I regularly got a period with a little cramping. The period was extremely light, so light I didn't feel comfortable wearing tampons. I just got the first IUD removed and another one inserted this week. I was scared I was going to have to go through a month of spotting and cramping, but it hasn't happened. I really like skyla and recommend it if you are interested in getting an IUD."

SB April 15, 2018

"Positives: sexual freedom and easy insert. Negatives: HORRIBLE acne, mood swings, periods lasting 10-20 days per cycle and spotting in between periods. I only lasted 6 and a half months on this IUD :( This is just my personal experience with this medication, other people experience it differently. The acne effected my self esteem and my mood swings made me feel vulnerable because I would be content one minute and the next minute I will feel sad, irritable or anxious. I've had the IUD removed for 2 weeks and my face is already clearing up (no new pimples) and my mood is stable. Thank God! My doctor told me that the symptoms would get better in 6 months, unfortunately they consistently got worse over the months and I couldn't put up with it anymore. I hope other women's experiences are better than mine."

Peanut April 14, 2018

"I love Skyla. I was on Seasonique (the pill) before getting this IUD and the effects were horrible. I had gained 30 pounds in 6 months, I had awful mood swings, it was just bad. So I got off it and went to get Skyla. I’ve never had kids & have only been with one person sexually, so it was normal how much it hurt. I’ve heard it doesn’t hurt much for those who have been pregnant. But for me, I’ll be honest, it had to have been one of the worst pains in my life; comparable to my 4mm kidney stone. It was absolutely horrible. The pain was so bad I thought I was going to vomit or pass out, barely maintained my composure. I cried for about two weeks straight after that from how severe the cramps were. BUT I feel like it was so worth it, because it has otherwise been a dream. NO weight gain, no mood swings, nothing. I got lucky, my boyfriend never felt the strings. Two weeks of pain is definitely worth 3 years of not worrying about being pregnant OR having awful side effects."

Ali April 13, 2018

"I got Skyla for birth control and also because I was having irregular/long periods (usually 12-14 days of 28-32 day cycle that varied). In the first months after I got it, I did see an increase in acne (I am already prone to acne, but it did get worse). Throughout, I have had frequent spotting and irregular bleeding. I have had two "periods" that lasted 23 days with light bleeding/spotting and maybe 1-2 days of heavier bleeding. So basically since I have been on Skyla, more than half of my life I have spotting. It has been very frustrating. I am considering switching to Kyleena or to a different birth control completely because I pretty much always have spotting. I think 8 months is long enough to see that this is not a good fit for me. Has anyone else had similar experiences?"

27yr never preg skyla 8 months (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2018

"I have had the skyla IUD for about 2 years now and it was great for about a year of it. Don’t get a period anymore and my mood and everything was great. I gained 25lbs in a matter of 2 months though after I got it which I have been running everyday to try and get rid of to no avail. The reason why I rate skyla so low is that it has caused me to become allergic to random things and food. I’m now deathly allergic to a couple different spices, as well as metals! I was freaking out getting tests done to find out what I’m allergic to and why when I’ve never had allergies before. I then thought that maybe it could be the IUD, did the research, and it 100% is. It has something in it that affects your immune system and causes allergies in women who have the IUD. I am on vacation right now so I have to wait to get back home to have it removed and hopefully my life will go back to normal."

Liz (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2018

"I got my IUD November 10, 2017. I am 28, no children. I have always had a a very heavy yet consistent menstrual cycle. I've known numerous people who love their IUD's so I decided to give it a try. It was painful, I'd say a 7/10 for me. I had pretty bad cramps daily for about 1 month and a regular period for the first few months. I got my one month check and he said that it looked good.... It is now April 5th, it has been Almost 6 months and I still have my period. It is lighter, but still requires a pad or a tampon 2-3 times a day. In the past 6 months, there was only 1 week that it had stopped. As for the birth control part.....I am satisfied. I saw my doctor today, who is sending me for a ultrasound next week. Once we know if there is anything wrong then I will have to decide if I want to keep it, remove it or replace it. Hopefully we find something out soon!"

Ham (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2018