User Reviews for Skyla

Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 264 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"I love my Skyla! Someone recommended it to me and I am very happy with my experience. I went to the gyno to discuss the option, did not think I could get it inserted same day ( I read a lot of people get it done while on their period, I was not). It was painful, not going to sugar coat it! But I left the office, took some ibprofin and went to work. Had I known I would feel the way I did, I would have taken the day off. My acne cleared up (I assume that was caused by my BC pills). I spotted on and off for 3 months but since then I have not gotten my period at all. It is amazing!"

smc1229 September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't let scary reviews scare you away from protecting yourself! I was so nervous to get the Skyla because I was afraid of a painful procedure but it was not painfully unbearable like I expected, just a little uncomfortable for literally 10 seconds, Then I was done! The procedure is so fast! Plus my doctor was amazing, she explain to me what to expect and she made me feel comfortable. The "worst' part was the cramping I experienced only for the first day. Very light spotting until my second day already having it. I would do it again rather than actually give birth any time soon. Lets just pray the Hormones works best with my body!"

Kehualani12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my Skyla put in today. So initially I assumed I would have a check up before I even got it put in so I haven't taken any pain medicine before. The Dr. putting some numbing stuff and then gave me a PAP. After she stuck a clamp and tried to stick the IUD In but my cervix needed to be dilated because it wouldn't go in. That pain of the dilation definitely hurt and putting the actual IUD hurt. But not like intolerable pain. It felt like the worst period cramp I've ever gotten +1 for like 30 seconds. And I usually get pretty bad period cramps so it wasn't anything new to me. (If you don't get bad period cramps it will definitely hurt) Walked out on my own and went home and took ibuprofen. I'm slightly cramping and no bleeding yet."

Kendraaahhh September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had the Skyla for six months now and love it! I always wanted an IUD because I'm terrible about remembering to take a pill, but I was worried about using an IUD with my small size (5'2 105lbs never had children). Turns out I had no reason to be worried! The procedure went really smoothly only mildly uncomfortable for like 3 minutes. I had cramps and bleeding for two days (no worse than a rough period cycle) then I was back to normal. Bonus: my periods went away a month after insertion! No more buying tampons!"

Jestone22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This will be graphic so you can know what could happen if you get this IUD. I have not had children. When the PA put skyla in, by opening my cervix (hurts extremely bad), she described it as a few cramps but it was nothing like a cramp to me. (I told my sister and she said it is more like contractions.) I cried out in pain and the PA tells me that some women pass out from it because it effects a nerve that can make you pass out, vomit, have diarrhea, etc. She didn't tell me any of that before! I felt so sick, I couldn't walk out of the place until I went to the bathroom to throw up. I also had the other side effect before I left. Since then, I have cramps and spotting regularly. After sex, I have cramping. I wish I wouldn't have gotten it."

BRITT. H September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First off: don't let the horror stories scare you away! Everyone is so different, don't assume that will be your experience. I have had skyla going on 3 weeks now (inserted 8/21/17) and it's awesome! After being on the pill (Generess) for 5+ years it is such a relief to not have to take a pill. The insertion hurt for a whole 10 seconds and then following was a VERY bad cramp, sort of like it was doing a final adjustment into place. After that I cramped mildly for about a day and a half. I'd recommend having a driver if you live far away from your doctor, as your cramps may vary. Hormonally I feel better than ever, libido and mood is better than ever! Hope this helps"

Cierra97 September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was SO nervous to get the Skyla in. I was shaking. I got it in on my third day of my cycle because my doctor it was easier. BARELY FELT ANYTHING. It wasn't even painful, just a little uncomfortable. The "worst" part of it was the clamp, it felt like a pinch. But I was familiar with the clamp because I've had 2 papsmears before. Don't let the bad reviews scare you. I would do it 10x over. I was able to drive myself home, no horrible cramping, etc. I'm 5'9" and 125 pounds."

Nervous for no reason. (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After having Skylar inserted 24 hrs ago, I'm still experiencing cramping like I would on the first day of my period, but its not going away with the heating pad. I had mine inserted on the 5th day of my period, but overall I don't know if I'd do this again. I was able to get off the table and drive home, however the pain made me seriously consider popping a kid out of my cervix. Of my other options, I was done with the pill and looking at the arm implant when I was pushed towards the more regional discharge of hormones that Skyla has. Overall just frustrated with the explanation of what to expect as there isn't a week after section on the website."

Anonymous September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience on skyla was absolutely terrible. The 5 months I was on this device changed my personality and overall wellbeing completely. It started with cramps, stomach pains, and bloating. Then it started changing my mood, I was constantly moody, sad, angry. My main issue was the recurrent UTI's. I have never had one before until I got the insertion, then I couldn't get them to go away. I was on 5 different antibiotics and nothing worked. As soon as it cleared, it would come back days later. I couldn't even have sex anymore because it would hurt and give me another UTI. I was miserable 24/7. I got it removed about a month ago and have yet to have a UTI & I am overall happier and more balanced. Never again will I use an IUD."

Cflail (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just got this inserted today. I was so nervous for it that I was shaking and fanning myself before the doctor even walked in to the room. It ended up being so simple. I didn't really feel any pain just some pressure for about 30 seconds and then it was done. Since I got home I have had barely any cramping at all...just feels like the day or two before I start my period. I am so relieved and happy. Reading all the reviews on here really freaked me out. I took 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before which seemed to help. I recommend doing the same. So excited to see how this works out!"

Ascott19 September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched to the Skyla after having a horrifying experience with the Paraguard (Don't recommend it if you have a small uterus or haven't had kids like myself). I had the Skyla inserted and my experience has been great so far, this IUD doesn't release much hormones and is smaller than the others. I'm very sensitive to hormones and I haven't had many adverse affects. I highly recommend this! Light periods, minimal cramping, no acne (I also don't have acne), no weight changes."

Mitchie D. (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This procedure hurt terribly. I just had it done this morning, and wanted to crawl off the table. The first step where they opened your cervix up a little and had a little thing hold your cervix in place caused cramping, but wasn't unbearable. Then when they go to measure you inside- the second step in the process and the first time something is being inserted- hurts bad. It helped that one of the nurses fanned me. I got overwhelmingly hot due to the pain. The third and final step is when they actually insert the skyla and that hurts just as bad as the second step. Step two and three require something being inserted into your cervix and no joke is incredibly painful. I'd rather get another tattoo. Hoping it was worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I first got the Skyla inserted in November 2016. After the insertion I checked the placement pretty much every day, and noticed I could feel plastic and not just wire. About a week after initial placement I got to the doctor to check and he replaced it after trying to get the original IUD back in position. The placement both times was mildly painful, no worse than my menstrual cramps. Three days after the replacement I got my period. This lasted for 11 days. After this my periods on average last about 8 days. Before they never lasted longer than 5. I have now had the IUD for 10 months and have given up on my period going away. I primarily got the IUD as easy birth control that I would not have to think about. I am considering other options."

Afra92 August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just got Skyla inserted this morning. I wanted to write this review for anyone who is nervous about the procedure or feels discouraged from all the negative reviews out there about IUDs. I went in expecting the worst pain of my entire life and it turned out not to even make my top 5 most painful experiences. It was painful, but it was not unbearably so, and it was over so quickly. About a minute of being uncomfortable (that included the speculum and the positioning of the cervix) and six seconds of more intense pain (during the sounding and the actual insertion). The pain was like a very bad menstrual cramp. I felt nauseous and faint afterwards, but not too bad. I have had some light bleeding, but barely any cramping whatsoever."

Anonymous August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had the skyla in for over 3 months now and getting it taken out in a few days. Ever since getting it put in, I've gotten very sick. At first I thought I had Lyme disease (achey joints, vertigo, dizziness, severe fatigue, inability to lose weight, headaches, cramping) but now realize all these symptoms started after I got it put in. The fatigue, joint pain, and general weakness are what I am suffering from the most and I pray to God my symptoms get better once it's out. I didn't think such a low hormone dose could affect me as much as it has, but I've already gained 20 lbs and ready to get my life back."

Mf1988 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Skyla for almost 3 months now. The first month was bad with pain and cramping, constipation, and diarrhea alternating, and constant nausea and fatigue. The second month my period barely showed up but I was stuck with all the cramping and spotting randomly. My sleeping has gotten much worse. I've been on ambien and lunesta and doxepin, nothing really keeps me asleep. I find that when anything goes wrong I slip into a prolonged depressive state that includes me being on the verge of tears all day every day. The cystic acne comes at all times of the month. I'm getting this thing taken out. Not worth it."

marmstro (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the skyla insterted last May. It was great my cycles we only about 4 days no heavy bleeding, light cramps. The insert wasn't bad just cramps. After a year and 2 months I got pregnant.. my OBGYN was in disbelief so was I. Of course it was a Ectopic pregnancy. The IUD was removed ASAP. My OBGYN gave me 2 shots to stop the pregnancy from growing. I made 5 visits after and during to have my HCG level checked."

BCwwwwwww August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm going to college in a week and thought Skyla would be easier than keeping up with the pills. I got it inserted yesterday, about a month before my period so my cervix wasn't open AT ALL. I'm not going to lie it was the worst pain I've ever felt. Even the 30 minutes after it when I felt sick, like I was going to faint & was sweating was horrible. I had constant killer cramps for the rest of the day, but today they have settled down and they aren't so bad. Over all, the insertion was unbearable, but I'm definitely glad that I got it. Honestly we're women and we're strong enough to get through anything so don't let this post throw you off. Everyone's body is different & we all react differently."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got this inserted this past January (2017) and overall I love it. The insertion was very painful despite taking 800MG of iBProfin like my OBGYN said but the procedure was only a couple of minutes. I had some residual pain for the rest of the night but nothing a little more ibuprofen and a heating pad didn't fix. I woke up feeling fine. No other pain. My sex drive returned (had issues with taking estrogen with drive) in just two weeks and my periods have gotten shorter and lighter each month and currently I am only spotting. I have had no other issues with it so far but maybe next time I'll ask for a prescription strength pain med for the procedure."

Anonymous August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 23 y/o and have endometriosis. I got this birth control put in a week ago. Getting skyla inserted was the most painful thing I've experienced. It feels like period cramps but 30x stronger and constant (for an hour during & after insertion). After almost passing out and throwing up all over the parking lot of the hospital I went to get it, I started feeling better. Haven't had any bleeding at all. Not even after insertion. Right now the only thing thats really bugging me is cramping only when I'm trying to sleep. I'm hoping eventually everything will get better, if not I'll be getting it removed."

Ratherhaveakid August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my Skyla IUD inserted December of 2016. The insertion process was about 30 seconds and it was painful for me, but not completely unbearable. My first two months with the IUD were fine. After a couple of months, I started to get yeast infections twice a month and sex became painful. I began noticing that I was really dry down there. I also noticed that every morning I would wake up and feel EXTREMELY tired. Needless to say, it was difficult to get through the day. My OBGYN attempted to find solutions to my problems to no avail. I had my IUD removed July of 2017. Within two weeks, all of my symptoms went away. The IUD was great at preventing pregnancy, and I am sure this BC option is great for other women, but it took a toll on me."

Jxta August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got Skylar inserted yesterday, the pain wasn't too bad, stopped pains within a minute after it was inserted, was strong enough to get up and walk out afterward, since it's in the bleeding stopped immediately after the procedure, since then I've gotten no bleeding what so ever, but I can feel cramping but not to bad, I am happy I got Skylar :)"

Renique (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had my insertion yesterday afternoon. Extremely painful. I have a very small cervix that is way high up. The Dr. had to make many attempts just to grasp it. Light bleeding and bad cramps throughout the night. I took midol and used a heating pad. I'm starting to feel like myself today. Still occasionally cramping, but better."

Hgty August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my Skyla placed about 2 hours ago. I know before I went in I was very nervous about how painful insertion would be after reading reviews. To put the women reading this at ease...it wasn't that bad at all. The whole process took maybe 2-3 minutes tops. To describe it in one word: uncomfortable. But when she inserted it, it hurt for maybe 3 seconds and it was done. I took 4 ibuprofen beforehand and got it done on my period like suggested, and now I only have what I would consider light cramping. Don't let the scary reviews stop you!"

magicallydelicious (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have noticed acne pick up, no weight gain. I also have noticed mood swings more. Periods are really light. Just seem more emotional. Overall it's better than taking a pill everyday. I have had mine for about a year now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 2, 2017