User Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

Skyla has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 1414 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Skyla Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla

skye · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2020

“Hello my ladies! well is my story very strange! I got my Skyla October of 2019 and have had no bad side effects from it, only good ones... until my period was late last week. Help, turns out I’m 6 weeks pregnant today. My husband and I are extremely fertile as we did get pregnant last year from BC pills! Well, here’s to my second baby❤️”

Kmdance · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

“I got my Skyla placed yesterday. I read every single review I could and worked myself up so much that I was shaking and crying when my OBGYN came in. I wanted to share my positive experience. Let me say, it is not the worst pain I’ve ever had (I am 30 and do not have kids) It felt like an average period cramp at best when she did the first thing in and again when she placed the IUD. I was SO relieved afterwards. I took Motrin the morning of and an hour before the procedure. I was on day two of my period which I think helped tremendously. My doctor prescribed cytotec but, upon research of my own, cytotec is not shown to assist any more than just being on your period... plus it causes more pain during and after. If you’re thinking about getting one, try not to panic. I’m usually low pain tolerance and had no issues with the insertion. Afterward, I had some mild cramping which was relieved by a heating pad and ibuprofen. Just remember that everyone’s experience is different. :)”

chiu · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 21, 2021

“I had it in for a year and a half, I gained 50 lbs and even when I tried to lose weight, I could only lose 5 lbs from a month of working out. I also had prolonged and heavier menstruations. I was told it would regulate after a few months but that never happened and I even started getting cramps and back aches which I never had before the IUD. I took it out March 4th 2021 and I have lose 7 lbs already! This was a nightmare of an IUD and I will definitely never get an IUD again.”

Gemma · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2020

“I am VERY pleasantly surprised at my Skyla IUD experience. I'm a small woman (5' 100 lbs) & previously partially expelled a Paragard IUD due to the small size of my uterus. I always wanted to avoid ANY sort of hormonal BC out of fear of side effects. When the Paragard was taken out, I decided to take a chance on Skyla (smallest IUD size, lowest hormone dosage). My next form of BC was going to be FAM, that's how much I wanted to avoid hormones. Well, after insertion (which felt awful, but that's not surprising), I've been GREAT. I felt virtually no cramps post-insertion. I've had zero hair loss, acne, or mood swings whatsoever (and trust me, I've been paying close attention.) My first period post-Skyla was normal but with ~2 weeks of light brown spotting afterwards. I'm guessing this will diminish with time, since the uterine lining will continue to thin. A recent ultrasound confirmed everything looks great. If things stay the way they are, I'd happily get another Skyla in 3 years. Yay!”

bluerose88 · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 18, 2020

“I had the Skyla in for 6 years: I replaced it once after 3 years. After reading all the horrible reviews of IUDs, I hesitated getting one for a full year. I eventually took the plunge, out of fear of becoming pregnant. Insertion was uncomfortable, but bearable. The majority of the time, I forgot I had the thing in. No cramps, no bleeding, no acne, no weight gain--zero side effects. I know my experience is in the minority, but I wanted to leave this review so others could see that not every person has issues with IUD. My experience was overwhelmingly positive.”

Kia January 25, 2021

“I suffer from endometriosis, ovarian cysts heavy cramps/ periods for about the past 8 years. The Skyla IUD the first year for me made me have brown discharge, BV and yeast infections. The string felt like hard sharp plastic, and it did in fact cut my partner during intercourse!! I had horrible acne and weight gain. The second year as my body still adjusted my periods did become lighter, the strings were still very much like a fishing line, and my ovarian cyst pain was bad. Third year, it started to no longer agree with my body, and all symptoms returned. I had to get it removed three months before its expiration date. I am so glad I had it removed. Heres another interesting thing, Skyla is a bright pink color when inserted and when it comes out, mine was white... So now have i absorbed harmful dyes into my body? Why make it a pretty color? ... I think more research needs to be done on IUD's. More power to you and the women it works for. As for myself- NEVER AGAIN!”

T T · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 19, 2020

“I got pregnant after 7 months of use - while it was still in, no other medications. My pregnancy was very complicated in the beginning due to having an IUD in my uterus and the baby at the same time. They have to remove the IUD hope to not interrupt the pregnancy. 50/50 change of miscarriage. It was very traumatic and stressful.”

Miss Manderson May 22, 2020

“First of all, the insertion procedure with Skyla was excruciating for me. I had severe cramping, worse than anything I've ever experienced, and they help me for observation for almost an hour because I was extremely lightheaded. I had 1 week of severe cramping and was bedridden. An ultrasound confirmed that the IUD was correctly positioned. I've had mild-moderate cramping and spotting almost everyday since then, no sex drive, and gained 15 pounds in 3.5 months despite dieting and working out 6X/ wk (P90X). I am only 5'3" so 15lbs is a lot on my frame. Dieting has not helped. My blood pressure has gone up, I'm bloated all the time, and have developed some facial hair. I have decided to have the IUD removed, because I'd rather be pregnant than feel like this all the time.”

RNgirl January 15, 2020

“WARNING! If your body hasn’t responded well to hormonal birth control in the past, think twice about having the Skyla inserted. I had tried the pill in the past and it made me feel crazy. My gynecologist assured me that the Skyla IUD only released a very small amount of hormones locally into the uterus and wouldn’t manifest any systemic side effects. After having it placed in March 2018, I had my first panic attack in October. I became overly weepy and by the end of my time on it (I finally had it removed yesterday) I was sobbing every day for no reason, experiencing super dark thoughts, and I would lay in bed at night having panic attacks focused on my heart and breathing, chest pain, and shooting cramps. I stopped getting my period altogether. My sex drive was completely gone. Sex was painful and unenjoyable. I found myself almost completely unable to become aroused. My blood pressure skyrocketed, doctors prescribed me antidepressants and anxiety medications. Just had it removed.”

Claire · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

“Best decision I’ve ever made! Please don’t let the horror stories scare you from trying the Sklya IUD. I let the negative reviews get into my head, and it caused me to put off getting my IUD for two years. Finally 5 months ago, I got the Skyla inserted. The insertion didn’t hurt at all! Just a slight cramp that lasted maybe 5 seconds. I went home and used a heating pad, but never cramped. My first period was light, right off the bat. I still get monthly periods. However, they are so light I can get away with just wearing a pantie liner. I love the freedom my IUD gives me. Not having to take a pill everyday is wonderful. It’s sooo much better than I pill. I was in the rare percent of women, who lost a lot hair while using the pill (tri nessa) the IUD never caused any hair loss, or weight gain. The first month I got a few more zits than normal. But now my skin is clear again. It’s worth a try, and remember you can always remove it.”

Meeeeeeee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 21, 2020

“At first it was fine on Skyla but then I began having acne (to be expected, but it was bad) and it worsened my anxiety. I ended up with high blood pressure (no history of this) and chronic high anxiety. My doctors thought the IUD couldn't cause these symptoms but once it was removed by anxiety lessened and my BP returned to normal. Can't tell me it's not related! It worked great for birth control but I ended up getting it removed because I could not stand the side effects. I'm sure some people do fine with it, but this is my personal experience. Would NOT do it again.”

BH · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 30, 2021

“I would not recommend Skyla. I had it in for less than a year and I kept getting reoccurring yeast infections which I never had before. In addition, I believe it has led to my recent miscarriage. My doctor couldn’t understand why I had so much scar tissue and was never pregnant prior to my miscarriage, which we attribute to this. I believe Skyla made my lining thin which it says it does. Consequently, it thus created a lot of scar tissue on the my lining and it was never able to get thick, which is needed for a healthy pregnancy, because of the scarring it caused. As a result, I miscarried and have now had three hysteroscopy surgeries to remove excess scar tissue which couldn’t be from an early miscarriage. So one DNC and three surgeries later my husband and I are still trying to get pregnant. So if you plan on becoming pregnant in the future I urge women not to take this as it could greatly impact your chances like it has mine.”

Positive experience so far! February 16, 2020

“Had Skyla inserted 3 months ago. Side effects: first 2 months I had the annoying spotting every day. After that I started to finally have clear days in a row. Had periods lighter but longer than usual (7-11-12d), but they should shorten now. Some PMS, nothing serious (breast soreness, mild to moderate cramps). Haven’t had any other side effects! Sex: My partner didn’t feel the strings, so I’m relieved. I didn’t have any pain during or after, no bleeding (I was scared that an “accident” might happen). Sex drive is just as high as usual. But I spotted the day after. Gym: I do CrossFit and I was scared I might get cramps or it might move, but so far so good (just minor cramping after gym in the first month). Sometimes I spot over the next hours after gym due to increased blood flow. I’m trying to be patient with all this “shedding”. Bio: 32 yrs., NP, first form of BC. I read and watched all reviews until I drove myself crazy, but decided I will give it a try! Best luck, ladies!”

Lislis · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

“Just wanted to address something, for those who say don’t listen to the negative comments. Everyone’s body will react different to the IUD’s do not dismiss these reviews; because they are being used for guidance for women, who are not sure how they will react to it especially if they’re bodies are more sensitive to hormones.”

Cha · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2020

“I had nothing be issues with this Skyla IUD. The insertion was fine and wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle. But the cramps and heavy bleeding I got the whole time was crazy. I couldn’t even go to work without being in pain. My periods were worse then being on nothing. I have had Skyla for 7 months and just found out yesterday that I got pregnant while on it. It is a complete nightmare. I would not recommend this IUD to anyone”

Kldstyle12 September 25, 2018

“HORRIBLE. The only thing that was great was It didn’t get my pregnant. I’m thankfully getting it out tomorrow. I’m PRAYING and HOPING that my mood, depression, anxiousness, and sadness goes away after it is removed. IUD’s work different for everyone. However I have never ever experienced something like this. Has anyone else had major issues like this?!”

t_adams15 December 14, 2015

“I got my Skyla IUD 5 months ago. I am 18 and have never had a child. I liked the idea of the IUD because I didn't have to remember to take it, it was there for three years, it was the most effective, and because there was an option to have an IUD without hormones. I struggle with depression and anxiety and I was afraid that hormonal birth control would only make matters worse. However, because of all of the terrible period stories I had heard about it, at the last minute I had my OBGYN switch to Skyla. The insertion did not take long at all and amid horror stories, the pain wasn't unbearable. It didn't feel great, but it was well worth it. If the fear of insertion is what drives you away from this option, don't let that happen! Before my IUD my periods were like clockwork, every four weeks, five days, no cramps- perfect. Afterward, I still don't get cramps, some periods have been really light, but I have had a period that was over a week late and one that was two weeks long. This is to be expected in the first few months. I do not believe that it has had any influence on my depression/anxiety, at least not monumental. I haven't gained weight, lost my sex drive or any other negative symptoms. My partner has finished inside of me multiple times and nothing has happened. Also, he cannot feel the strings. I would highly recommend this form of birth control, I understand every body is different, but if you're spending hours reading horror stories like I was, don't let that stop you.”

ACE · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 17, 2018

“I’ve had Skyla inserted for a year now and for the last couple months I’ve debated getting it taken out. I love how convenient and effective it is but I feel like it’s slowly making me crazy. I already suffer with depression but the mood swings I’ve had with Skyla are insane. I haven’t had any issues with spotting...or cramps. I barely have a period at this point. My skin isn’t terrible but I already have super oily skin and this definitely hasn’t made it any better. But mood swings and the depression is definitely a major con and I’d rather have my sanity back than leave it in. Anyone else suffer with crazy mood swings?”

thistlesandthorns · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2014

“I had my Skyla IUD inserted 04 Sep 2014 so I am only commenting on my first month after having it inserted. I am a 33 year old woman, no children, and hormonal birth control was no longer agreeing with my body (mood swings, heavy bleeding, large clots, periods lasting 2 weeks, etc.) My doctor and I agreed to the Skyla IUD (I had already done research.) So far so good. I haven't had any mood or sex drive changes and feel 100% better than I did on oral contraceptives. Out of pocket, my IUD would have cost $1400. My insurance covered 100% of it. Update: Month #4 and still no issues. No side effects. I keep track of everything so I know what to expect and when until my body fully adjusts.”

OBnurse · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2020

“I had this IUD for a grand total of 3 months. Everything was great, or so I thought. Insertion was a nightmare, and took like 15 minutes because my cervix just wouldn’t let the insertion device in. Cramping afterwards was bad, but not something I couldn’t bare. I felt the actual arms of the IUD unfold within me, and it was in that moment I knew something wasn’t right. Cramps subsided after 3 weeks. First period was fine. Month two came with very odd side effects, month three came with a positive pregnancy test and an ultrasound confirmation of malpositioning. FYI, tricare is now discontinuing covering the Skyla, and I can see why.”

Love Marie January 4, 2017

“I received skyla 24hrs ago. I was super anxious about the pain because of how badly my experience was with the Copper IUD. I must tell you, DO NOT read dozens of reviews and allow them to implant fear into you. We are women, we are designed to withstand pain. You CAN do it! its literally 30 sec of OH CRAP, then done. Im not down playing anyone else's experience by any means. However, if you go in strong minded and you are sure its what you want, you will be fine. I do recommend taking Tylenol at least 20min before insertion( it will help). B.C pills were terrible on my mind and body, so I'm glad I chose to go back to the IUD. Remember, if you don't end up liking it, it can always be removed. You Got This!”

Cristi · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2021

“I started using Skyla 4 years ago after I took out my nexplanon (which really didn't agree with me) and it’s been the best birth control for my body. Everyone’s body reacts different but this is a good option for women who haven’t had children. Insertion is painful but Tylenol before and after help, I don’t notice any symptoms other than really short periods and mild cramps. No acne or mood swings. Def recommend.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 27, 2019

“I had skyla implanted 6 months ago and have since gained 15 pounds. I don’t eat terribly, I exercise a few times a week, and haven’t changed me eating habits since insertion. I feel like no matter what I do, the weight just keeps packing on. Has anyone else had these issues? I’m desperate and about to take the thing out.”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

“I have had my Skyla IUD placed about a month and a half ago... with that being said I want to warn you guys. The insertion wasn’t bad for me it was just like a bad period cramp. I just want to warn everyone about the symptoms that I wasn’t told about that I have experienced I have been loosing my hair, very bad mood swings, bad back pain, and so so much more.”

EdithLark · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2015

“If you are here to gauge how painful an IUD insertion is, I beg you to not read any reviews on it. Pain is subjective. It really varies from person to person. I say this because I was on here the week before my appointment reading every bit of information. This made my process a thousand times worse. I was so nervous when I went in because reviews said it would be the worst pain I would ever experience. So far from the truth. The doctor will tell you everything you're about to feel; take their word for it. They won't deceive you. I cried a ton because I was so nervous. Relax. Take deep breaths, you'll feel a pinch, it'll hurt some, but not a lot. You'll feel a sudden cramp. It'll hurt becuase it's sharp, but that's it. Quick and easy! :)”