User Reviews for Skyla

Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 252 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"I had skyla in for about a year and a half my period was very irregular. I was having a period every two weeks and eventually I had pain and felt pregnancy symptoms. I was later rushed to the ER for emergency surgery for an ectopic pregnancy, had to have my right tube removed. My doctor was very upset. She has been issuing Mirena for over ten years and has never had an ectopic pregnancy. In the pass few years of inserting skyla she has seen FIVE ectopic pregnancies in women. She now refuses to insert it in any of her patience and asks the skyla company to leave every time they visit or else very soon they are going to have a lawsuit on their hands!"

Kris03kk March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got Skyla inserted March 15th, which was the 5th day of my period. It was suggested I get it inserted while on my cycle due to the fact that I've never had children and during your cycle your cervix is supposed to open up some. Insertion hurt like hell I groaned in pain that was the absolute worst pain I've experienced (I've had my nipples pierced and a foot tattoo which are pretty painful but the insertion tops that!), I got so hot afterwards and light headed I had to sit there for a minute while the nurse got me water. Haven't had any side effects besides constant spotting like I haven't stopped bleeding since the insertion, its March 25th so I've had additional bleeding for a week and half going on two weeks. I HOPE IT STOPS SOON!!"

adrianamarieeee March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For YEARS, I've been scared about getting an IUD. I have sensitivities to metals and plastics. I've been talking birth control pills for close to 15 years. I'm 32 with no children and started getting migraines with aura because of birth control pills. I reluctantly made the decision to get skyla. The measuring and insertion is the most excruciating pain I've ever felt however it was maybe 30 seconds for each. Afterwards I had some pressure and an uncomfortable feeling inside my vagina. Also, felt like I needed to poop something out for an hour but....that was it. Totally worth it so far."

Worth the one minute of pain (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got Skyla 6 months ago. Insertion was not really painful, but I did have cramps for about 14 hours afterwards, the first 5 being debilitating. I spotted consistently during the first 2 months. After that, my period would come for about 10 days with a combination of bleeding and spotting. For the last 2 months, I have been getting my period/spotting for 10 days at a time twice a month. I have been ridiculously emotional this past month with bouts of frequent crying. Also, each month before my period(s), I would get severe pelvic pain shooting straight up. I finally went to my doctor and she said my body is rejecting the IUD. Although this IUD is effective, it has been a miserable experience and I am switching to the patch."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I will start by saying that I read these reviews days before getting my IUD inserted and after reading some I was terrified. I thought it was going to be the worst pain in my entire life. I went in to the doctor's terrified with a list of questions &an Ibuprofen 800 in my system. My doctor is great so she calmed me down and answered everything. Before I knew it I was done & good to go. It was one of the easiest things I have ever had done and the worst pain (just an uncomfortable cramp) was when she used the tool to hold my cervix in place, the IUD itself was nothing after that pinch. I know everyone is different but figured I'd let others know that it's not that bad for everyone and I'm so thankful I got it."

Carlie2323 March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor gave me an 800 mg Ibuprofen about an hour before insertion. While they attempted to insert the Mirena (which I had originally planned on getting) I experienced horrible pain for nearly 10 minutes. I'm 20 and have never had children and it was one of the most painful experiences of my entire life. I usually have very painful period cramps and this still felt much worse. Finally, they asked if I'd rather have the Skyla, which is smaller and might accommodate my tiny cervix better. In comparison, the Skyla insertion was much quicker and less painful. After the procedure I did throw up once due to the intense pain, but after a few days I experienced little to no side effects. I do recommend taking the day off of work though."

Anonymous March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is completely the worst experience I have had with birth control. I was very skeptical about getting this because I have not had any kids before but rather be safe than sorry. I do not recommend this because the side affects- cramps are extremely painful and unbearable. Over time I thought it would get better but that has not been the case. This has hinder me from doing a lot of things I need to do ."

Lemaa22 March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Got Skyla two months ago. Insertion was super painful but quick. I was able to drive and go back to work after with minor discomfort. Since insertion no serious cramping but the spotting is nonstop. SO annoying. Its not enough for a pad but it will ruin your undies. I'm not sexually active at the moment so I didn't have to worry about that but your man will probably be grossed out for a while because the constant blood and discharge smells. I never feel fresh which is enough of a side effect to be turning me off. I'm hoping this subsides as I hear it does after about 3 months. I will say that my mood swings seem WAY better. I've always struggled with acne so that hasn't improved but hasn't significantly worsened so that seems like a wash."

Eliza PA March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been having skyla going on my third year in October. And I can honestly say I'm ready for my next insertion for another 3 yrs. The pain when getting it inserted was bad but tolerable, its really just this very awkward discomfort that lingers 5 seconds too long, but when it's time to react..the process is over. My periods are predictable then sometimes unpredictable. It can go MIA then appear. My flow varies from light to heavy but compared to before I had it..I love my period now with it. I used to use long/overnight pads & change it from 4-7 times a day. Now I can use thin/regular pads & change 1-3 times a day. I also believe my diet effects my menstrual cycle. My cramps varies too but use some motrin and you'll be good. I recommend this!"

SkylaOldie March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's crazy how everyone is taking meds before this easy IUD insertion but I know everyone is different my experience was so easy no cramps no pain I don't feel it know no side effects what so every. I've had it for a year and a half and no problems. Sex is comfortable no changes. But I didn't have my son with no pain meds before or after. I guess I have a high tolerance for pain. If you are going for the skyla I highly recommend it. It's the best!!"

Nikki162555 March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I know it's pretty soon to leave a review, but I had this inserted this morning (3-20-17). And let's just say I wish I would have taken a few Naproxen before the insertion. The pain of the insertion was about 4/10. But the cramping afterwards!!!!! MY GOD! I threw up twice and was SUPER light headed. But after a 4 hour nap and some pain killers I was ok. I'm experiencing some mild cramps right now. I advise you to take off from work the day of insertion, and grab some yogurt to prevent a yeast infection."

DesM34 March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hey all, I just wanted to share my experience because I was so scared to get skyla at first because of all the negative reviews. I've had mine for a week now. The insertion process is hard (be sure to take off work after) I had severe cramps for about 4 hours and then minor cramping the next day. Since then I have had basically no pain. Me and my boyfriend waited 5 days before having intercourse and there was no pain when we did (yay!) I still am spotting which is kind of annoying but overall, I'm really happy with this."

Kendall D. March 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst experience. Only had Skyla for about 3 weeks and got it taken out. I even took two ibuprofen beforehand. The procedure was fairly quick, and at first not too bad, but once they inserted the IUD it was a sharp, excruciating pain. I yelped involuntarily. After about 5 minutes I started to feel faint. Hot, sweating, cramping, lost all of my energy I couldn't even drive myself home. Had to be carried inside and had to lay down, take more ibuprofen. I felt like I was going to throw up, pass out and the cramps were so painful. After about an hour the side effects subsided but sex was uncomfortable, I could feel it, and I got a yeast infection. So many problems, not worth it. Sucks because I can't take the pill due to migraines with aura."

Asherzzbaby24 March 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I'll be 28 in 2 months....I am getting Skyla tomorrow, but, I've had Mirena, after my 2 nd daughter I decided to get Mirena and it was the WORST thing in the WORLD....I was a major bitch I gained 20 lbs I was an emotional asshole and I bled NON stop...I can not be on birth control because I have a blood mutation so any pill makes me higher risk for blood clots...I just had my 3rd child almost 2 years ago and I had been getting SEVERE migraines and mood swings so I went to the doctor and asked her opinion, she said that Skyla is a lower dose and it may be better for me because she thinks the Mirena was too high of a hormone dose. BUT since I got Mirena in 2009, you'd think I'd forget the insertion I didn't..It wasn't that bad and I'm a baby."

EByler14 March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had the Skyla IUD for about a month now! I'm 19 years old and have already tried implanon and the pill (Sprintec). Cons: - Insertion was painful (I've never felt THAT part of my body before) but it only lasted less than a minute! As soon as the insertion is over there's no pain. - Had the most awful cramps for about a week (I believe it's because I was about to/or was on my period) - Spotted for 3 weeks and had a heavy period (1 week after insertion) - bloated for a while and gained about 5 lbs of water retention weight but can't seem to shake off the leftover 3-4 lb weight gain :( PROS!!: - no babies! I've had unprotected sex with my partner numerous times since insertion, and everything is a-ok"

Hapabby (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got Skyla inserted 1/25, so it's been almost two months. Pro: I don't have to think about it and while it does last awhile, no mood swing changes (but I do cry occasionally during a sad film now), I don't start random arguments with my bf, bf doesn't feel it. Con: severely decreased sex drive, losing eyelashes (probably even my hair but hard to say because I have a lot of hair anyway), spotting every SINGLE day (some days more than others), severe cramps when I'm dehydrated."

Linda TX (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had Skyla for a month now. Insertion was painful. I've never been pregnant and was not on my period when I had it placed. I took 800mg of ibuprofen 1 hr. before my appt. Cramping was HORRIBLE for the first 2 days, I thought I'd made the wrong choice. I lived on the couch with a heating pad. I bled for a week straight after placement. However, a week later and no more cramps or bleeding. Went for my follow up and I did have a yeast infection, Dr said that can happen because when they prep you during placement it can kill the good bacteria as well as the bad. She gave me meds for it and all is well. Despite the negatives, I am happy with my choice. I don't even know it's there anymore and haven't had issues since week one."

Rebakah (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just got my skyla this morning. I took 400mg of ibuprofen before the insertion. The entire process was about 5 minutes. I would say the cramping DURING insertion was way worse than bad period cramps but only lasted like 30 seconds! I felt a tiny bit light headed immediately after, went away by the time they told me to get dressed. After reading these reviews I was worried about having to go into work but I was fine! 2 more ibuprofen and I was good all day! Very light bleeding, just needed a liner. If everything goes as smoothly as the insertion I'm gonna love skyla."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was so terrified about the insertion but ladies please don't be ! Its not bad at all , I had skyla installed yesterday and so far its been a breeze. I feel as if I'm on my normal period. I did take 800mg of ibuprofen (advil) beforehand and that made it easier also I took tylenol in four hour increments afterward. Now I just feel almost normal. I will update if anything changes !"

JordanAlyssa March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the skyla inserted three days ago and I have to say, it really wasn't bad. (I've never been pregnant btw) Yes, it hurt for a few seconds but nothing like the unbearable pain that some women are talking about. I completely understand that each person is going to have a different experience but if you are thinking about this type of birth control, don't rule it out for fear of pain. For me, the insertion felt pretty similar to period cramping. Not a cakewalk but if you're used to horrendous period cramps, very very tolerable. I have some cramping still but it is very manageable; I can get rid of it with a heating pad. and I cry when I get shots so you know I have a low pain tolerance. All in all a good experience I'm happy!"

VictoriaRen18 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I'm reading all these wonderful and not so great reviews about Skyla, what I got mostly is that you'll have mild pain if your not so lucky and major discomfort. I had mine inserted on March 7th and lord let me tell you, I have high pain tolerance (EXTREMELY HIGH). I took two extra strength Tylenol (800) and it didn't do a dang thing. Yes god I felt that plastic being inserted and when she measured my cervix? Yeeeeeeeeeesh the pain, but after that it was just discomfort. As of now I feel light cramping and no bleeding plus vaginal discomfort like I have a UTI. All in all, I'm not giving up on Skyla nor saying it's bad it's just the insertion that got me."

ItsLei March 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am mad , sad and aggressive... I got Skyla! I got it inserted about a week ago. The pain was unbearable. It was so bad I came to the decision if I have kids I am having c section because I could not survive another pain like this. I am hormonal and I am a women... maybe I'm being dramatic but my gals, DO NOT GET SKYLA. Use condoms, pills or simply don't have sex... all of the above are better than getting SKYLA. I can't even walk and I am doing this stupid review , this has been pathetic. Please don't be another victim"

A victim March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Internet reviews made me a little apprehensive before I decided to get an IUD, but I already knew better than to prey too much about them because it's a fact that the majority of IUD reviews you'll find on the internet will be negative! Why? Because people are twice as likely to write a review if they had a bad experience; it's sort of like the media- it is twice as likely to cover a story if it's really bad. So don't let these reviews scare you! IUD placement should be a personal choice. You should go to a doctor that you trust, and they will assess your uterus, its size and shape as well as your cervix to see if an IUD will be compatible. They will know if your uterus is too small or if you cannot tolerate the procedure. My NP made me feel comfortable and relaxed when she inserted my Skyla IUD, and overall it wasn't bad at all! It's going to hurt, but it's over quickly and if you deep breathe (but do not hyperventilate) and distract your thoughts it's over before you know it. After the insertion I took 800mg ibuprofen and was on my way to school. I didn't feel a thing for a few hours until later that night I experienced some mild cramping. Overall I'm really glad I made the decision to get the Skyla. I'm a fan of birth control with the least amount of hormones possible so that my body can still balance and regulate its own hormones. Skyla has a localized effect so that you don't get many of the systemic side effects of the pill. It only took a couple of days for me to feel great and barely notice the IUD! Now I don't feel it at all."

Madskill (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I JUST had skyla inserted and the experience was not bad AT ALL. I DIDN'T EVEN FEEL IT GO IN! I had to ask my ob if it was inserted yet. I do have a child, and I took 2 aleve 45 mins before the time, and maybe that helped. Everyone is different, and just because someone else had a bad experience doesn't mean yours will be bad. Just give it a try and if you don't like it then just get it removed."

Kk004 March 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So let me start by saying that I'm writing this as someone who I wish I had before I got my skyla. I went to get it today. I have been through a considerable amount of pain in my life. I've been kicked by horses. I've drowned and was found and said to be "dead" but was resuscitated. I've gotten 5 concussions and dislocated my shoulder been bucked off horses. I've felt pain. Just about nothing compared to the pain of having this stupid piece of plastic put in my body. If u have friend u love or family wanting to get this IUD simply forbid them. I'm not saying this to scare u. I'm saying this because I want to help u. It's such a joke that birth control is this painful. And that people don't warn u as much as they should. I was screaming"

Chantellllll March 14, 2017