User Reviews for Skyla

Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 259 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"I've had it for a year and three months and it was alright up until I couldn't feel the string anymore and now I'm having pregnancy symptoms. It was very painful during insertion. I will be getting it taken out due to pregnancy. But it's was a good birth control until now."

Kandycane713 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the Skyla IUD for almost two years. It was very uncomfortable to have it put in. I bleed for 2 weeks after. My cycle would last for at least 10 day. Before the IUD my cycle only lasted 3 days. I finally got it taken out about 3 months and got back on the pill. My cycle has yet to go back to normal."

Random Daydreamer (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"28 yrs old no kids/pregnancies and had previously only used the YAZ pill birthcontrol. I got Skyla inserted in April '15 and am due to have it removed next year. I give it a 7.5. Insertion was uncomfortable but my OB recommended I take some Ibuprofen before I came in. I was crampy the rest of that period. Every period after that for the following 6 months came with pretty sharp cramps the first few days. The periods now are definitely longer but light enough that I have mostly used light tampons since then. No weight gain, skin didn't change. Sex was fine except that I'd spot after depending how close to my period it was. I've had a few accidents and have not gotten pregnant yet so I would probably use it again if I find nothing better."

JustLiz (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just got Skyla yesterday. Didn't feel anything during insertion. I actually asked the Dr if that was really it when she said she was done. Went and got lunch after and started to cramp about an hour insertion. The cramps have been like strong period cramps since then. Just a little spotting afterwards but nothing today. As long as the cramping dies down after a couple of days, I think I will be in love with this form of birth control."

Steph4444 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Again, this is not for everyone. I had it in for about 11 months. For the first 5 months, I bled constantly, after that it was spotting. However, annoying nonetheless. Insertion was a little painful, but tolerate. The last 4-5 months, that's when everything started to get worse. It was constant spotting, my acne got worse, gained like 15 pounds, headaches, and fatigue. I am 20, with no kids. I switched to the pill, but I just read reviews on it and it has really bad reviews but I'm trying it out."

Soc917 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had this for 7 months now. I got it 8 weeks after I had my baby. The pain getting it inserted was very minor compared to the natural no med labor I had 8 weeks prior. My cycles were longer in the beginning and now I'm down to three days and wearing panty liners, that's how light it is. This IUD varies from person to person. I would recommend it to see how it works for you. Plus my insurance paid for it fully."

Nikki91216 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Skyla for 4 weeks now. Yes insertion is very uncomfortable but it is worth it. I only had cramps the first 3 days after insertion and yes those were uncomfortable too but they stopped. I spotted for about a week after insertion and I have not had any bleeding since. I also have noticed a serious improvement in lubrication (I was on nuvaring) so sex is more enjoyable. Overall, I would recommend! Also, my boyfriend cannot feel the string and I can't tell it's there."

Shaunzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 21 and have not had kids. It was just in and out of the office. It wasn't too bad of an experience for me. I just didn't think about it while it was being put in. It went smooth and fairly well! It also helps that I have an awesome doctor who talked to me step by step. I bled for maybe a couple days if that and had minimal cramping. It's been a little over a week and I don't even notice or feel it! I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!"

Nicole H. July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hey ladies! I've read some of the reviews and I just want to share my input. I feel like many of the reviews posted are just after Skyla was inserted. YES skyla hurt after insertion. I cramped for the first week. I even told the Dr for my 1 month check up following this would be the only time. During the 3 years with skyla my periods were significantly lighter, although a little random. But honestly I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a box of tampons. I just went back to see him in March and my 3 years with skyla were up. He removed the old one and reinserted the new one. Small difficulty getting it positioned just right but pain sale = 0. Since then I have had my period once and it lasted a day. I will preach skyla any day."

Idontbuytamponsanymore! (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 19 years old, 105lbs, and I've never been pregnant. I had skyla inserted about 4 days ago and so far it's absolutely amazing and worth it. I was looking for a birth control that was long term, easily reversible, effective, and something that I didn't have to worry about every single day. After lots of research an IUD fitted all of the requirements. My doctor recommended skyla because it was a smaller IUD with hormones. The insertion was kinda painful and uncomfortable but not anything that I couldn't handle. The pain just felt like intense menstrual cramps. The symptoms I experienced after were mild cramping a few hours after insertion, light bleeding for about a day, and nausea a couple days later. Overall I am so glad I chose skyla!"

WONDERFUL!! June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am beyond happy that I made the switch. I was on the pill prior to my new IUD and I had the worst PMS and mood swings imaginable. I always felt depressed and this constant dread that hovered over me. I was always hungry, I gained 15lbs when I went on the pill. My gyno highly suggested the skyla. I finally went through with it. Insertion pain was excruciating, I will not lie about that. But...It was worth it, at least for me. I had severe pain for the rest of the week with very light spotting. Cramps that would not go away no matter how many pain killers I popped. But after the first week it was smooth sailing. I feel better mentally and appetite has decreased dramatically. I feel zero pain or discomfort. Highly recommend the skyla IUD!"

Anonymous June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I had skyla inserted this morning and wanted to share my experience. I've read so many more horror stories about this birth control than positive things and yes insertion was painful but not nearly as awful as people make it seem. My Doctor was awesome and walked through every step with me and it was about 3 cramps (one slight, medium, and severe cramp) and it was over in less than a minute. Yes I got dizzy which is common but they gave me juice and had me wait about 5 minutes and I was able to drive myself home just fine. Cramping afterwards is painful but it has gotten better and so far this is the best birth control I have tried."

danielleemilee08 June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had skyla inserted 7 months ago. The insertion was a nightmare. Hands down the absolute most horrific pain I've ever experienced in my life. Cried & begged to stop. I almost threw up/passed out. Actually terrified now of having it removed. My fiance drove us home & I took 800mg ibuprofen. The pain was dull the next day but still present. I had my period for a month after insertion & then have not experienced one since. entire 7th month I've had pretty intense cramping of what feels like my cervix. I checked & strings are still in place so I don't really know what's going on. My entire adult life I've been 86lbs & since having skyla inserted I have shot up to 105lbs. My skin also breaks out at an insane rate now so it's harder to maintain"

Corazal June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Skyla for about three months and have three children. My body rejected a paraguard so I chose this even though I wanted to go without hormones. 1) Insertion: ladies, ask your dr. or midwife if they can forgo the clamps! That is supposed to be the most painful part so it is worth asking if they can insert without them. If your cervix is positioned in the right way, they should be able to and the insertion will be far less painful! 2) I spotted/bled for about 5 weeks afterward, it was a pain but tolerable. Mild acne and cramps, bloating and some constipation. In fact, this week has been the worst cramping yet, not sure what to think."

AJane5 June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had skyla put in exactly a year ago. Insertion was a bit painful but only lasted seconds. I was in and out of the doctors within 10-15 min. Procedure was 1 whole minute probably. 3 weeks later I went to the ER because I couldn't stand the pain and I knew something was wrong, found out I had an STI and it was a STI that the doctors were supposed to test for before putting in the IUD. Long story short, once all those were cleared up, the pain was fine. To this day I still have a bit of cramps often but nothing too bad and my periods are much lighter. Overall I am very happy with skyla. If it wasn't for the issues at the beginning, which was the doctors fault, I would rate skyla a 10!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My new OBGYN surgeon suggested this as a last ditch effort before I get a hysterectomy for non stop bleeding for the last two years (not from fibroids, uterus with almost no lining). This is EXTREMELY PAINFUL! If you've ever had a biopsy in your uterus, just imagine having biopsy's all night long after you get this inserted. I was NOT prepared for this and maybe it's just my body. But I can tell you that half my body is tattooed and have a very HIGH pain tolerance. Tattooing is like a day at the spa compared to the pain of this IUD. I was so close to going to the ER last night. It's day no# 2 and I'm still in a lot of constant pain and had to call into work sick. Please head my warning before getting this foreign object inserted!"

Jovita79 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hey all. I began this birth control around November. Insertion was awful; I threw up and passed out. It depends on the person though! I'm not a huge fan of this birth control. It made intercourse painful in certain positions. It did increase my sex drive a lot though. My skin is now a disaster, I'm pretty sad about that. I'm excessively tired all the time. I've gained 30 pounds out of the blue. I dunno guys, this birth control just wasn't for me and I'm switching back to the pill."

karlyray (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my IUD put in over 3 months ago. About 36 hours after, I went in the sun and immediately broke out in hives! Mostly on my face and they were itchy as hell. I called my gyno and she assured me it was IMPOSSIBLE that the IUD caused the hives. I took Benadryl and they mostly went down. I still get hives every time I'm exposed to sun/heat. About a month in I started having more & more trouble having a BM which wasn't the case before the IUD. I drink plenty of water and eat fibrous foods regularly. I'm CONSTANTLY irritated and emotional, I get acne more than ever, and the constant spotting is becoming annoying. I feel gross, itchy, tired, and bloated every single day and truly don't even feel like myself. I'm getting this thing out Thursday"

Lexi31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got skyla inserted on Friday , the insertion was very painful for me. I am 21, 5'7 , 134lbs and have never had any children. The pain during the actual insertion was nothing compared to what I experienced afterwards. As a woman who has never had any children , you do not really know where your uterus is until it has been messed with. It's literally like the core of a woman's body. I got the insertion on my menstrual cycle and I still felt extremely uncomfortable. And the cramps got worse and worse as the day went by . I was doubled over at some point and began to sweat , and from there I passed out twice . Since then I've had no trouble just mild cramps. I'm eager to see if skyla will work for me ."

Gold4thegoddess (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Number one, don't listen to the negativity the smaller groups of bad experiences have. Skyla was never said to be for everyone. Which is why I don't understand women that tell you NOT to get it. Your best option is to try it. And to people who have certain health conditions, unless a woman has the same thing as you, don't listen either. Anyway, I have a 7 yr old, and I got skyla in January and it's now June. I have had bad acne and cramps and heavy bleeding since I was 11, and Skyla reduced my periods and cramps. It did not do much with my acne, but that's fine... Also, Skyla is uncomfortable to insert, (not gonna lie) but I literally was with my OB for 10 minutes and left. It's been okay since. Just Try it for yourself"

Cristineeeee June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before Skyla I was on the pill for 6 years and my gyno recommended to switch over to the Skyla so I took her advice. The insertion process was horrible. My pain tolerance is pretty high so I wasn't scared going in, but half way through the process I almost made her stop and afterward I almost passed out. I had to lay back down for about 20 minutes. I had cramps for the next few days and would take ibuprofen to help with the pain. I've been on it for 7 months now and I am getting it removed at the end of the week. Before the Skyla I would never get cramps during my period and now they are awful. Also, my acne is horrible..to the point of me almost crying and always wearing tons of makeup. I'm excited to get it out, but afraid of the pain."

Kelsea (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had skyla inserted last year. I've never had a child before, so the insertion process was uncomfortable for me. I took pain medication before hand and was given medication by my doctor to insert into my vagina prior to soften my cervix. I had mild cramping over the next month, and decent amount of bleeding. After a month of having the IUD, I started to develop severe joint pain and dry, red eye. I followed up with my gyno, and she had me go to a primary care doctor for my symptoms. I had blood work done for a lot of different factors, and everything came back negative. My PCP recommend that I have it removed, I am very glad that I did my joint pain went away within 2 weeks of the IUD being removed. My doctor thinks I had an allergy"

KLede2121 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my Skyla IUD put in 3 weeks ago. I have continued to take my birth control pills (as directed from doctor) to help decrease cramps and bleeding. I haven't bled much at all. Cramps have almost about killed me. I get sharp pain cramps to where I can't breathe or it will make it hurt more. This pain is almost unbearable. People who are interested, just know it all matters on how your body is and how much pain tolerance you have. I am scared of childbirth after this small procedure. I think Skyla is great and I hope it is worth this pain. Just be prepared for good or bad. My best friend got one and she is better than she has ever been. No cramps. No blood. So it just matters on your body."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Would not recommend. It might work for some women, but I personally bled heavily for two weeks straight every two weeks and the doctors told me I wasn't giving it enough time but it's been a year. Which is 1/3 of the time it can even be in there. If you haven't had children yet I wouldn't recommend it."

BobbiC June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had an IUD (Skyla) for about six months. The hormones made me feel really on edge and angry. I also had a period for a good four months straight. Additionally, I experienced weight gain and acne. It was terrible. I just had it removed."

Hated the iud (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2017