User Reviews for Skyla

Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 257 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"This review is just on the insertion as I have not been on this long enough to review side effects. I read so many horror stories online about the IUD insertion and I was extremely nervous for the insertion process. My doctor explained to me that some women do pass out during or after it and that it is normal. I typically have low blood pressure and am prone to passing out so I thought for sure I would. I did not pass out and while it did not feel pleasant, it certainly did not hurt anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. I regularly have period cramps that sometimes get so sharp I have to breathe through them and cannot stand up. It felt no worse than 2 short, sharp period cramps for me."

Mmmm2345 May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had had my Skyla IUD in for over a year and just recently had it removed because it just did not work for me. Insertion was pretty uncomfortable but like previously mentioned in another post, it was doable (I'm sure contractions will be a lot worse than that was haha). Like I said, I had it for over a year and I had a period every month, most of which my period lasted 2 weeks! Cramping was worse for me while on the Skyla than on any other birth control. After removal, I've been bleeding pretty steady the last few days and cramping which is supposedly normal. I loved the convenience of not having to remember the pill but I don't think I'll be getting another one anytime soon."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I absolutely love the skyla. I've had it in for about 9 months. I was 21 at the time, no kids, and insertion was a little uncomfortable but bearable. Felt like bad period cramps. I had my period pretty heavy for the first month or so and then one day it was gone and I didn't have it again for a few months. Every once in a while when I do get my period it's pretty light with some cramping (average period I would say) for a week or less. I highly recommend this. I don't feel it at all and my husband doesn't either."

Brianna71816 May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got Skyla inserted almost a month ago. My cramps and lower back pain were bad for a few days, and 1600 mg ibuprofen daily didn't help much. (My periods are usually heavy and painful; I had vaginal delivery without anesthesia. The pain from the Skyla could be compared to my worst period cramping.) By the end of the first week they became tolerable, but I was still spotting. There were 2 or 3 days when I didn't spot, then I started having bad cramps again + spotting, and a long and painful period followed that was a little lighter than usual. Well, I'm still spotting/bleeding and having cramps and obviously not pregnant because I have no mood when I'm in constant pain. I'm willing to give this method another 2 months..."

Nina25 May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have a chronic pain condition and found the insertion of Mirena in 2011 to be traumatic. The pain was like transitional labor going in and I passed out, probably a vagal response. Had to have it removed after three days of hell. However I have a new doctor that I trust and needed something ASAP as I can't get pregnant right now. It was inserted on the 2nd day of my period and was nearly painless. I've had it now for 6 days, my period ended quickly and it has increased my libido I feel empowered that I don't have to worry about another surprise pregnancy. If this devise was available when I was younger I wouldn't have 7 children. If it causes lighter periods I'm going to urge my 20 year old to get one as she has horrid periods."

Middle aged mom (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I've had the skyla 5 weeks now and I'm still not positive on how I feel about it. I got mine put in at my 6 week checkup after having my son. for me insertion was a beeeze, I literally basically felt nothing, no cramping whatsoever and have yet to cramp. Although my problem is, after I got mine put in (mind you I just bled for 3 weeks cause I just had a kid) I bled for another 3 freaking weeks, then I spotted for about a week finally stopped and now I'm spotting again. Not only that, but I feel so hungry all the time, I know breast feeding makes you pretty hungry but I feel like I can eat double what I usually eat now that I'm on skyla. They say weight gain isn't a side effect but I honestly feel like I've gained weight or I'm bloated"

Stephens mommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had the Skyla IUD for about two weeks. The insertion process was a painful but it was quick. So far I love the skyla I have not had any problems with them and I hope I don't. My period came on and lasted for a week and it was heavy which they said it was normal in the first 3-6 months the only thing that I hate is the cramps that comes with them for me it is really painful but I took a 800mg ibruprofen and a heating pad and it goes away. But every person has a different experience I love it so far and if you decide to get one don't be scared if you have a great OBGYN then it will be fine and make sure you ask a lot of questions that you may be concerned about."

R.G May 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Iv'e had Skyla for 2 years. I got it put in after the pill failed and my second baby was born. Insertion was a little painful but tolerable. I cramped and spotted after which is normal. My periods were irregular at first but my body adjusted and became regular periods. I get extra sensitive I guess during obvulation and periods as to the cramping and head and backaches. Sensitive breasts. After a year when it was nice and convenient as my periods got lighter. My cervical fluid has thickened for sure and after 2 years of insertion I've noticed shorter lighter periods. But my main side effects are vaginal dryness, more headaches and more painful breast and cramps. But no pregnancies for 2 years so it works!"

Brix (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am writing this review for the sake of all women who are iffy on this product. I was apprehensive to skyla ONLY because of what I read online. Despite my doctor assuring me this was the best option for me, I still was not 100% on skyla. I am one month post-insertion and I am so happy I decided to go with Skyla. I am 19 years old, and I have struggled with birth control since it was present in my life. I cannot be on the combined pill due to the migraines with aura (visual changes) I get and I struggle with acne so the POP pill is not for me. I decided to go with skyla and I'm very pleased. Insertion (for me) was a bad cramp that lasted no more than 5 seconds. Spotting/cramps continued for about a month after but now I'm good."

del2727 May 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 20 years old and this is my second time using the Skyla as my birth control method and I love it. It hurts slightly when it get put in and then cramping for a day or two but then it's mostly bliss! My periods are very rare, maybe 3 or 4 a year, no severe weight gain or skin problems. My cramping is much more manageable than it used to be. I'm not pregnant and have never been so obviously it works. It does however sometimes make me nauseous and have bad acid reflux but other than that I've enjoyed my experience with it."

Cheryllann May 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had skyla inserted at the end of March. I was a virgin and terrified of the pain I read about on here and yes, it hurt but not nearly as bad as I expected. I had cramping which lasted maybe 2 minutes. I had a little spotting afterwards but have had no cramps since insertion. I've had spotting 2 days since insertion and never got my period."

Clairewalls May 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have only had Skyla for about 5 days now, but this is my review so far. Insertion was painful to me - lots of intense pressure and cramping. The good news is that the whole process only takes about five minutes. I've been pretty crampy and have had minimal spotting (both are normal). The only time it's been nearly unbearable was the first day. I had the worst cramps of my life (no exaggeration and I always have crampy periods) for several hours after insertion and no amount of Ibuprofen or heat helped me. It has been tolerable since, just a bit tender and uncomfortable. If you're going to get the Skyla, understand that it's going to take time for your body to adjust and it's no walk in the park at first but it does slowly get better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got skyla yesterday and I love it, so far! Pain was uncomfortable but not unbearable by any means. I was terrified but I'm happy I followed through. Also; no spotting or bleed after insertion. Throughout the first day of having it, I felt mild cramps but nothing worse than a menstrual period cramp. So far, so good!"

Anonymous May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got my Skyla inserted 6 weeks ago. The insertion was not very painful. I would rate it a 3 out of 10. It was uncomfortable and felt like a minor period cramp for a total of less than one minute. After it was inserted, I felt normal and was not dizzy or lightheaded. I had no cramps that day and only minor cramping and minor back pain for the first few weeks following insertion. I spotted for the first 4.5 weeks. My first period was longer than usual (7 days, is normally 4), but the bleeding was much lighter (no clots or excessively heavy bleeding). I did have more painful cramps at the beginning of my period, but nothing that was too unbearable. During sex, my husband is unable to feel the strings and I have forgotten it is even in!"

jlove18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had Skyla for exactly 1 year. Starting with how painful the insertion was, I had hoped things would get better. I didn't have a period 3 months into it, but still had crippling cramps and aches like I was on my period at any given time. I waited it out and ended up gaining over 30lbs in the last year. I recently went to my family doctor and expressed that I wasn't happy with the weight gain, my mood swings (random crying, anger fits) and I said I wanted to take it out. So she took it out right then and there. Best decision I've made. Removal was a breeze."

Tay2385 May 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have mixed feelings about Skyla. The people were right when they said getting in was painful. Hands down one of the top worst feelings ever. Still get period, still get cramps. But..... I never got never got pregnant and that is great."

Danalll May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have never felt a pain like I did upon the Skyla insertion. It was a 3-step process, and the second step was the most painful. They say it is different for everyone, apparently my pain threshold is much lower than other women. This sharp pain and cramping cause immediate tears and a small yelp. Immediately after, I became very pale and lightheaded and had to use the restroom. I could hardly sit up in the bathroom because I was so lightheaded and nausea caused me to vomit. I was so weak and honestly wanted to just lie on the floor because I began to sweat. After about 30 minutes, I was able to stand up and drive home. The cramps and nausea remained very severe until the next morning. Ibuprofen and heating pads helped me sleep that night."

Skyla User May 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just got the Skyla put in today and it honestly was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. After reading all the reviews before hand I was really nervous but I did what my doctor instructed which was to take 800 mg of ibuprofen and eat an hour before my appointment and I was fine! Yes there is cramping but nothing unbearable at all. So far so good! I just thought that I would share my experience of the insertion on here so some girls won't be as scared and worried like I was before going in! Everyone is different but this was my experience."

Anonymous May 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was 21 years old when I got my first skyla and 24 for my second. I was the first woman in my obgyn to get it when it first came out. It was so new, my insurance company didn't cover it because there was not a billable code for skyla. Both insertions did hurt and I was tender for a couple days after. Almost like a period pain. Once the cramping from insertion was over, I didn't have any side effects or problems. Had the first one removed 3 years later. The NP had problems finding it and had to recruit a DR to come in. He of course found it right away. The first removal was worse but I believe it was because I was so tense from the NP "digging" for about 15 minutes. The second removal was a breeze. I would definitely recommend this IUD."

Bre3013 May 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had skyla for almost two years and I'm very iffy on how I feel towards it. The insertion wasn't bad, just a big cramp. My period used to be only a few days, very heavy, and I never had cramps. With skyla I have light spotting that lasts twice as long with some pretty TERRIBLE cramps and nausea. The week before I get the spotting I have extreme cravings and gain like five pounds and then lose it all right away from barely eating the week I spot. I used to struggle with acne and now my skin is always clear. My spouse is sometimes jabbed by the strings. I didn't want something with a lot of hormones so I chose skyla over other forms of birth control, but I feel like the cons may outweigh the pros for me."

Colliebeans May 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 28 years old, I have 1 child and have only had skyla for about a week. First off I had originally gotten the Nexplanon implant back in December and after 3 months of constant bleeding well it was time for a change. I was hesitant on getting an IUD because of the horror stories of how bad it hurt. Well I didn't think it was bad at all. I felt minor cramps for about 10 seconds and had just an uncomfortable feeling the next day but after that everything has been fine. I have had a few days of spotting but just used a panty liner cause it wasn't even that bad! hopefully I have a good experience with this birth control as I don't want to have to change again! I will update my review after a few months to see how it goes!"

Britt0103 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Yes, insertion hurts like anything, but the pain is brief. Just take your ibuprofen (or something stronger) and breath through the pain - you'll be fine. I had moderate cramping for a few days after insertion and am still spotting very lightly 2.5 weeks later. I had the Mirena IUD several years ago and hated it (sex was painful and I would bleed after every time, I got reoccurring BV infections, acne, etc.), so I had it removed after 7 months. I feel no pain whatsoever while having sex with the Skyla, my skin is still clear, my mood is normal and I don't have abnormal discharge. So far, the Skyla has been amazing and I'm incredibly sensitive to birth control. I had mine inserted by a certified nurse midwife and I think that helped."

BideeBideeBee May 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I decided to get Skyla since my doctor said it was the best choice for me since I've never given birth before. My OBGYN said to schedule my appointment for the week after my period. At my appointment, my OBGYN couldn't feel where my uterus was since I had some curvature blocking access to it. He straightened it out, which was very painful! Then inserted Skyla. I got Skyla on 4/26/17 and it's been four days since it was inserted. I'm still getting really painful cramps, migraines, dizziness and some spotting. I'm not sure if Skyla's really worth all this pain."

egunzzz (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just got it today 4/27/17 and the pain is unbearable. My fiance held me the second time after my doctor took it out because I was in tears the first time. I have a 0 pain tolerance. Took 1600mg (2 800mg morning and afternoon) of ibuprofen it does help but so does a heating pad. If anyone has advice for skyla please let me know."

New Comer April 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Review is about insertion only. I've never written a review in my whole life but hopefully this can help other women. I just got the skyla inserted about an hour ago. Took 800mg of ibuprofen an hour before. Inserting the speculum wasn't painful just like a routine gyno check. It hurt the most when she clamped my cervix. It was intense cramps. She measured it then inserted it and it was all done in a matter of 30 seconds. I just laid there for about a minute to let the cramps subside. Overall was not bad at all. Yeah cramps are never comfortable and it feels weird knowing they're in your cervix but it's over so fast. Period cramps last forever. This took 30 seconds. I'll write back in a few months about how I like it so far!"

SammieK50097 April 27, 2017