User Reviews for Skyla

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"Welp. I had high hopes for the Skyla. I needed extra help with regulating my periods without the burden of popping a pill daily. The insertion was very mild. I was bracing myself for some intense pain to send me crashing to my knees - maybe I have a high pain tolerance? Doubt it. This part was uncomfortable for sure, but not that bad. 1-3 months: nonstop bleeding. I was told this would subside after 6 weeks, for the most part, it did. But the CRAMPS! Debilitating to say the least. They were sporadic and extremely painful. 3-5 months: I noticed my skin breaking out much more than usual. And the scarring was bad!!! Cheeks, jawline and forehead. Plus my periods were 3x longer and more painful. Had it removed two days ago. Wave of relief!"

BJBVII November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Skyla for almost a month. Their insertion experience for me was pretty bad. All of these ladies including some of my friends said it was be painful but that I would be okay. Everyone is different I wish someone would have told me to take some anxiety medication and pain relievers. I suffer from severe anxiety. Anyway, the insertion was terrible. I was holding my breathe while she opened my cervix. I black out and had a seizure. I was just crying when I woke up and was hyperventilating. It was terrible. I got myself together after 30 minutes. My doctor should have been telling me to breathe but whatever it’s in now. I have had cramps and spotting on random days but I’ve been taking OTC medicine to control the pain."

Itsjess27 November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After being on two different pill birth controls, I was tired of not feeling like myself- unhappy, negative, anxious, crying. I was scared to get the IUD but I pushed myself and it's so worth it. The insertion was painful, but quick and I have a great gynecologist who coached me through it. The worst part was the intense cramps and spotting for the next week, which would return off and on for the following month. However, my emotions are sooo much more stable and I feel very protected. I do have cramps sometimes that are worse than before I had the IUD, but I would take that over depression and anxiety any day."

Happy again! November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's been three months - I chose Skyla because I wanted to get off the Depot Provera shot - Was on it for several years and my GYN recommended birth control pills but I did not want to have to think about birth control on a daily basis. The reviews I read and people I spoke too gave a 50/50 toss up either way both great or horrible experiences. I choose Skyla because it was smaller and had slightly better reviews and other IUD's. Also other IUD's last for 5 years and slightly bigger, that made me nervous. Advice if you decide to get Skyla 1. Get a morning appointment 2. Take the entire day off from work 3. Take a Motrin before the procedure 4. Use a heating pad on your stomach when you get home it helps with the cramps."

Adult-Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Let me start off by saying that I have a high pain tolerance. I have fractured bones, went through surgeries with out pain medicine (because I am allergic) and I have been in a car accident and nothing compares to the pain I had when I got my Skyla inserted. Before insertion I took a muscle relaxer and I wasn’t prescribed any numbing cream or cervics softener medication. I was on my period when she started and it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. After my mom was driving me home and I was hurting so much that I threw up and I remember telling my mom I rather be shot in the head than go through this ever again. The pain lasted about an hour but after that hour the pain magically disappeared and I haven’t had a problem since."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the pill for 10yrs & wasn't happy with weight gain & PMS symptoms, also tired of taking a pill everyday. About 40 minutes before my Skyla insertion yesterday, I took 500mg Naproxen, 200mg Ibuprofen & a muscle relaxer. Was on day 3 of my period - I was not given cervix-softening meds. It hurt but I've also gotten a few colposcopy (cervix biopsy) before, so I would compare it to that but a LITTLE more 'pinchy' & crampy. They key was taking BIG DEEP BREATHS. Focusing on deep breathing definitely helps!! I popped right up after it was over & was able to drive myself home. Cramping the rest of the afternoon felt just like heavy period cramps-heating pad helped, I slept great & now at work with dull, bearable cramps. So far so good!"

TinaAnn November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Let me start by saying that every woman’s experience is different. I’ve had my IUD since March 2016 and can say it was the best health decision I’ve made to date. The insertion process was uncomfortable but not unbearable (I took 3 Aleve a couple hours prior, pretty severe cramping upon insertion for around 2 minutes, and then gradually subsided). I was able to have sex with no real discomfort within 24 hours. However, the worst side effect I had was cramping during ovulation. I almost ended up in the ER several times from the pain; it felt like labor contractions. However, this also went away within 4 months. Now I just get occasional spotting and mild cramps, nothing that a warm bath and OTC meds can’t fix."

hsco October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely love my Skyla. Insertion was pretty uncomfortable, but was completely bearable. I spotted on and off for the first few months, which was annoying, but not a deal breaker. Finally after about 6 months my periods have levelled out and are regular again. I get very minimal cramping a few days before, and a light flow that lasts about 6 days. I have had no other negative side effects and I LOVE not having to remember a pill every day! Plus, every other birth control I've tried has given me horrible moods swings, horribly tender breasts, and acne. I haven't experienced any of those with Skyla. I would highly recommend this and have already sung it praises to all my friends."

gorilla3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got this IUD almost 3 years ago now, after being forced to change due to an insurance error. The first six months were quite unpleasant, which is expected since you are going on a new hormonal birth control. The cramps and monthly periods varied from light to heavy. Since then, I usually don't have a period. I have monthly "PMS" symptoms with hormones and breast growth, but rarely spotting or having an actual period. However, the select months I DO have a period, the cramps are debilitating. I often keel over and cannot function until they pass. I have spoken with several others with IUD's and this seems to be a common thing. Even with this pain, I would still recommend it. It's really nice to not worry about getting pregnant."

Notpenelope (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my skyla IUD inserted in January 2017. It’s October 2017 now. I liked it for 7 months until now. I will have to say the insertion was absolutely horrible that was about 10/10 pain. It is the closest to ever feeling like giving birth. I’ve never felt anything more painful in my life. After insertion, I was bleeding for around 2 months straight. It officially calmed down and I had light periods like usual per month. Now at 7 months in, I have periods now that last for two weeks long on/off and painful cramps. Every time after I have sex, I run to the bathroom and I wipe tons of blood. I was 150 pounds when it was inserted, now I’m 177pounds. I am freaking out for weight gain, it has been convenient, no maintenance, and I’m not pregnant."

Tiffasian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got Skyla inserted two years ago. I still had periods on Skyla but they were much heavier and I had awful cramps. Skyla also caused me to have terrible acne. It wasn’t until recently that I started to have more issues. My periods began lasting more than a week and a half and were only two weeks apart. I’ve been suffering from headaches daily, no energy, dizziness, and nausea. I just don’t feel like myself. I called my doctor and he seemed to think removing Skyla would solve the problems. I went this morning to have it removed (which is pain-free!!!) so hopefully things will get better!"

Kristenh90 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The only warning my gyno gave me was that I would be spotting for about 15 days after having the IUD inserted, which was a damn lie. I spotted for a whole four weeks after the procedure. My uterus chilled for two weeks before I started spotting again. I then became frustrated because this irregular spotting was now interfering with my sex life. Panty liners, something I never sought to buy, will become your most prized possession. During the first 3! months, your period will be irregular. Mine became lighter but the duration lasted longer. I went from a 5-day cycle to a 10- 13-day cycle."

Niec3y Part1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Skyla was the first form of birth control medication I have experienced. The insertion was extremely painful and since the IUD was inserted I have been in debilitating pain. The type of cramps I have received since the IUD was inserted are the type of cramps that hindered me with walking and even speaking. I was told to give the IUD a try for at least a month and it was horrible. I have had to wear tampons every day because I have had brown bloody discharge for 30 days straight. I’m getting this IUD removed this week, and I cannot wait to have a pain free life again. Oh, and I started my period today and the pain is even worse, although I’m not gushing blood, the pain is preventing me from having a normal life."

Alexmarieduffy (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For me, the insertion pain was a 9/10. It's similar to a mild contraction. I've had it in for over four weeks now. In those four weeks, I've had a constant, heavy period, cramps, migraines, bloating, moodiness, worsened acne, and overall tiredness. I'm not saying I didn't have acne or was never tired before, but the last four weeks have made me not want to leave the house. I have to take ibuprofen every 4 hours to relieve the cramps. Everyone's body reacts differently, but at this point, I may get it removed. It's really affected my day to day life."

A1234567890 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had my IUD for three weeks now and I'm really happy with it. Getting the IUD was painless, I was really happy with how my OBGYN made me feel comfortable and relaxed. She told me there would be three different cramps, each one would be stronger than the last. Honestly, the first one was nothing, and the last two felt like regular period cramps. I got my period a couple days ago and the cramps were very intense and my period was very heavy, will my period get better?"

IJoanneI October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Skyla for 5 months now. Insertion was nowhere near as painful as I expected, just felt like a sharp cramp. However, bad cramping started the next day and did not stop until I got my period a month later. My first two periods were very painful, but after that very manageable. I never experience random cramping and very rarely experience random light bleeding. I can't feel it at all and notice no hormonal changes to my body which is rare for me, as I am very sensitive to hormones. I had to come off the pill because I was constantly emotional, tired & nauseous. I haven't gained any weight with Skyla either. I feel much more in control of my life with this IUD and would recommend it to anyone willing to stick the 1st month cramps out."

Mae97453629 October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So, I have had the Skyla for a year and a few weeks. I have an apt today 10/11/2017 for a annual check up and I am getting it removed. The cramps are horrible and on top of that I get a uti all the time due to the skyla. About the only thing good that has come out of this birth control is the fact that I go every three mths and not have a period. I gained weight with this and also got diagnosed with anxiety and depression. My dr is not sure if its because of this or my surgery but I am more than thinking it has to do with this birth control. So I shall see. Also my sex drive has went down a lot compared to where it was."

kat c October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve tried birth control pills twice before, and each time I gained approx. 10 lbs and had mood swings, SO I decided to try an IUD. The insertion was pretty uncomfortable, and for the rest of the day I had bad cramps, but besides the first day it has been painless. I’ve had it for almost 7 months and I still get periods (lasting about a week) but they’re much lighter. I do have to wear panty liners more (especially during the first couple months you will spot a lot). The only negative side effects I have experienced have been slight moodiness/random sadness, and my eyes have developed a sensitivity to contacts, which just might be my body’s reaction to any birth control. But overall, I think it’s a great option!"

Rach1234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 24 and just had Skyla inserted yesterday afternoon. This is my first birth control ever so I went in with absolutely no idea of what to expect pain-wise. I had been told I would feel some cramping during the procedure so I expected some pressure. It ended up being more painful than I thought. I would rate the pain a 7/10. I should add I was on the 4th day of my period. I didn't take anything before but did take two Ibuprofel tablets as soon as I got home. It helped a lot but this morning at work (8am), I was miserable. I couldn't even move. I ended up taking Ibuprofen again and it made work tolerable. Still cramping now (7pm). Hoping it gets better. *heating pads help*"

CMR24 October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"OK so it has been exactly 2 weeks and 2 days since I had the Skyla put in. I have read multiple reviews before going with this procedure and wish I would have read more. You definitely want to take at least a day off of work. After I had it done I was ok for about 2 hours then it just got worse. Your body really needs to relax afterwards, Think of it, you are having a device/drug put into your uterus for 3 to 6 years permanently?! Any ways I figured after a couple days cramping would stop. I had it put in on my last day of my period FYI. On the 5th day (I'm traveling for a wedding so I'm on a plane) I started cramping so bad"

I would rather get pregnant October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Insertion was actually more painful than I expected. My doctor prescribed a pill for me to insert 12 hours prior to my appointment, which was supposed to "numb" the area in a way. Still, I had a lot of pain when my cervix was first clamped down on. A quick shot took this away in no time and shortly after, it was all done! I could even drive myself home with no issues. Such an easy process. I didn't have a bad recovery period for the next few days. The cramping wasn't bad. Then, I didn't have a period for the next two months. The main difference I'm noticing is that I get cramps all month long now. And, during my actual period, the cramps are far more severe than they ever were before. Regardless, I think this is far preferable than pills!"

kllewiss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the Skyla IUD inserted yesterday so this review will only be for the insertion and first 24hrs. My doctor prescribed Misoprostol (used to open Cerviix) to take the night before my 1pm appointment. I was also told to take a Motrin before bed and 3 hours before arriving for my appointment. When I arrived for my appointment and was taken Back for the procedure they performed one last pregnancy test to make sure I wasn’t pregnant even though I was on my period. When it was time to insert the IUD my doctor opened me up with a speculum and then used a very skinny pencil sized device to hold my cervix open and then inserted the IUD. From the time the speculum was inserted and then removed less than 5 minutes passed and it was painless."

Tiffany Nicole October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I posted when I first got skyla (almost 6 months ago April 27,2017) and wanted to share my experience. I spotted for a little over 3 months which wasn't fun since it was summer. Usually wore just a panty liner. My periods definitely are a lot longer close to 10-11 days but lighter than they used to be. My bf can feel the strings in certain positions but says it just feels like scratching. (He can suck it up since I'm the one who has it inside them). Other than that I've had a positive experience. I've been on the pill twice and gained significant weight both times. Haven't gained weight or had acne appear since getting skyla."

Sammiek5008 October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So its been about a month and a half now since I had gotten my IUD inserted. Now the pain for the insertion was about a 5 out of 10. I have never been pregnant and certainly don't intend to. So I was debating whether or not to do this for almost a year. I knew all the side effects and I went along with it. Probably the best decision I have made. I don't have to take a pill anymore. I was reading some reviews and it scared me on the pain tolerance but everyone is different! Anyways I've had mine in for about a month and a half I am spotting but so far I lOVE IT!!! DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED"

Jay veasy October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is just about the insertion because I feel it's my duty to quell the fears of other women out there after I let myself go way overboard in reading horror stories online and freaking myself out... I was prepared for the worst pain of my life based on what everyone was saying, and I can't believe how completely fine it was. Seriously, I would describe it as discomfort. I squeezed the nurse's hand really hard for a second and then it was over. Barely had any cramping afterwards. I know this isn't true for everyone, but it is probably way more likely that you will have an experience like mine, so don't freak out, please! It's a non-issue, don't waste energy getting stressed over this like I stupidly did."

Jordynjulie September 30, 2017