User Reviews for Skyla

Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"I just got my skyla in. Now I'm a 15 year old girl. It hurt getting put in. But the side effects of constant nausea and cramping is the worst. But my mom said it'll get better, just give it time. I need tips for how to get rid of the cramping because I'm having trouble sleeping now and nothing is working."

Lacbear20091 August 23, 2016

"I just had my Skyla IUD inserted 4 days ago. On the day of the procedure I had my period and took 800 mg of Ibuprofen 40 mins before. I have to say it did not help one bit. It was the most terrible and awkward 5 mins of my life. It felt as if someone was stabbing me from the inside. Luckily I did not shed one tear and drove home from the facility with the most horrible crucial cramps I've yet felt. Since Ibuprofen did not work for me I had to get something a bit stronger and took 2 Midol 500 mg pills which did the job and a heating pad. My cramps and period were gone by the next day. As of now I feel bloated, tired and somewhat moody. I'm sticking it out for at least 3 to 6 months to see how my body adjust to it."

Deedee397 August 20, 2016

"This is absolutely the WORST decision I've ever made. I've had Skyla for 3 weeks now and I've had an impeccable amount of side effects. My mood swings are ridiculous and I've cried almost every night for the past 2 weeks, and I hardly ever cry. I've also had immense pain in my hips and back since I got it, and they do not go away even after taking norco (I had reconstructive ankle surgery 2 days post insertion) and that doesn't even touch the pain. I'm emotionally and physically drained. My parents are annoyed with my constant pain. My boyfriend feels completely terrible for me. Not to mention insertion hurt like no other. I couldn't even sit down afterwards. I go to my OB Monday to get it removed. I'm beyond done."

D. Nicole August 20, 2016

"i have gotten Skyla about a year and a half ago and i never realized the effects i have gotten from it till recently. My hair has gotten super thin, i can't even touch my hair without it falling out.. my hair was super thick before i got Skyla. Also i realized how moody i get.. i would literally cry at EVERYTHING! Happy things or sad things.. i couldn't control myself, i was never like this before. Another thing is that even when I'm not on my period i would get random cramps. I don't recommend getting Skyla."

Shay_ August 19, 2016

"ignore the horror stories! I got the implant yesterday and yes there was some painful cramping but it wasn't enough to make me want to pass out or not drive home. I just made sure to relax and keep breathing and it was over before I knew it. I was perfectly fine immediately after my gyno removed all her instruments. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen before hand and my nurse told me that I should just stay in pain meds for 24 hours because of the cramps, I did get cramps maybe 3 hours after I got the implant and a few of them sucked but they were like regular period cramps. I got home and cuddle up with a heat pack and went to bed.I'm halfway through my 2nd day and I'm not on meds and I'm fine. So far so good. Will leave another review later."

Shep000004 August 19, 2016

"I got Skyla inserted yesterday so this review is only on insertion and the 24 hours after. I was seriously freaked out about the insertion after reading so many bad reviews. I took Misoprostol 6 hours before the procedure, and 550mg of naproxen an hour before. My gyno told me everything she was doing and told me when there was about to be pain. The whole thing took about 90 seconds from start to finish. There were three cramps, a small one, a medium one, and then one big sharp one that made me close my eyes. the pain really was not bad, it just caught me by surprise. After it was over I had light cramping for a few hours, and have been spotting with brown discharge. Other than that, I can't tell its in there!"

Aawalker96 August 18, 2016

"Continued... Since then I have had very light periods usually ONCE every 3 months with thick, bloody discharge on the first day and light spotting for 1-2 days after for a total of 3 days. I haven't needed a tampon in nearly 3 years! Pantie liner is all I need, if at all. I do get pms monthly though- cravings, moody, maybe a little breakout but nothing you wouldn't get with any other birth control. I have tried pill, patch, and Nuva Ring-which I liked but it gave me ovarian cysts so I switched to Skyla. I highly recommend Skyla! While it has never happened to me.. if you are bleeding for more than 7 days at any given time while on Skyla GO. SEE. A. DOCTOR. Something is wrong! Again, 23, never been pregnant, and love Skyla!"

H.Ben (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2016

"I can't speak on how well this birth control is long term because I literally just got it placed yesterday. But I wanted to write a review on the placement because I read some of these beforehand and the horror stories almost scared me out of it. IT WAS NOT TERRIBLE AT ALL and I do not take pain well. Of course, everyone has their own pain threshold and different bodies. It also really depends on when in your cycle you get it done. I got it done about 5 days after ending my period. My doctor said my cervix was in perfect condition for the procedure as it was slightly open and "paper thin". It did hurt but the pain lasted for 5 seconds and was not sharp but like a really strong cramp. And now I'm 3 years baby free! Well worth it."

Maddieblank August 15, 2016

"I wanted to write a review because I was skeptical after reading all of the negative reviews from people. I am a 24 year old female who is unable to take birth control pills because it makes my blood pressure high. Insertion was easy, I had it done on my period and was given misoprostol to inset the night prior. About an hour prior to insertion I took 3 aleve. Insertion was uncomfortable, but by no means horrifying. I would say a 4 maybe a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the most painful). I've had some slight cramping afterwards, nothing worse than what I would have on a normal period. I've had my skyla for 11 days now, and have no cramping. I do have some irregular spotting though."

Kay2121 August 15, 2016

"I got on Skyla when I was 18 after I had a miscarriage back in December of 2015. Insertion hurt like crazy, as if you were having period cramps that would make you want to double over in pain and go to the hospital. After having it inserted I started gaining weight, I was constantly depressed, I would want to eat more, periods would last for two weeks at one time minimal. It felt like I was on a constant period with all these mood swings. It's now August of 2016 and the pain is ten times worse, I go to the hospital about the situation and they tell me I'm a month pregnant. I do not recommend Skyla to anybody."

Alyssa Cirigliano August 14, 2016

"i just had my skyla inserted about 3 weeks ago, ever since then i've been spotting non-stop & three days ago i started bleeding super heavy like if i was peeing myself and i haven't stop bleeding since, feels miserable when never before the skyla my period was this heavy & the horrible feeling of knowing that at any moment i can stain my pants coause its that heavy. also lower back pain & mild cramps. i'm scare now of how bad it is. i don't know if wether to take the skyla off or leave it on hoping it'll (my period) go back to normal. my experience so far hasn't been great at all. i don't really recommend this to anyone but every1 is different."

Yesi7 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2016

"I'm writing this review for all of the women skeptical of IUDs (since I was one of them). I became pregnant in November of 2015 after a condom failed for my boyfriend and I. We were not in a place to have a child, and terminated the pregnancy (which was something I NEVER thought I would do, so please don't judge). We decided we needed a better form of birth control (had been on the pill with bad side effects), and chose skyla. The insertion happened the first day of my period and was a BREEZE. A slight pinch and that was it! I've had period cramps that were worse! Slight cramps the first two days but ibuprofen took them away. It's been great since! PLEASE dont let reviews scare you away! They almost did for me, but I'm glad they didn't!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2016

"Im only 17, and I absolutely love my Skyla IUD. I chose the IUD because it has almost no side effects, no required maintenance, and lasts 3 years. Insertion was pretty uncomfortable but very quick, didnt get light headed or anything and the cramps came immediately afterwards, they felt like my usual pretty bad menstrual cramps but it also feels like something is in there, its a different kind of cramp. After insertion I had light bleeding, then brownish discharge, then for the next 3ish months I bled just like a light period. After that bleeding stage, I still haven't gotten another period, absolutely no other symptoms. I seriously forget I have it, have had unprotected sex since and am still not pregnant lol. I really recommend it!"

Maaadddie August 11, 2016

"I FINALLY GOT IT TAKEN OUT AND I FEEL LIKE A WHOLE NEW PERSON!! I had no pain getting it out and I cried from relief from how much better I immediately felt. Back on the pill but I would NEVER recommend this to ANYONE!!! I don't care about the effectiveness, the side effects were NASTY AND ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE. So bummed I wasted a year on this crap!"

THANKGOODNSS August 10, 2016

"I ma 30yrs old and had skyla inserted in me just a bit over a month ago. Although everyone's experience is different due to different bodies and such, my experience I would say wasn't painful but uncomfortable (feeling a bit violated) for a lack of better words. First few days I was sporting, followed by my 5daybperiod, followed by more spoting on and off. Its been a month and about a week now and no dark red almost brown chunk like doscharges but I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet. Still trying to see and decide if this is still a good choice for me, so far I am rating it a 7 for first time experience, with all the discomfort and spoting on and off. I'll coment again after my 2nd month and see where I'm at with it."

Ellejo August 9, 2016

"I am 17 with no children. I started birth control pills at 13 for heavy periods & PMS and decided to switch to a LARC since I wont want kids any time soon. My insurance covered 100% of the cost. I had it inserted on day 4 of my period. Ladies DO NOT be scared about the insertion! The pain lasted for under a minute and the rest of the day just felt like normal period cramps. I drove myself home and took 800mg of ibuprofen. Since the insertion, I have had random cramps occasionally and random bits of brown blood spotting around the time for my period but it is nothing major! I haven't had any breakouts or weight gain and I would recommend this to anyone :-)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

"I have had Skyla for a little over 2 years. I'm not going to lie, the application SUCKED. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but your doctor has to force your cervix to dilate, so that obviously isn't going to feel pleasant. I took Advil an hour before my appointment, as well. I had cramping for 2 weeks and I spotted for a little over a month, but not heavily. The worst part for me was the uncontrollable emotions for the first few days while the hormones set in. I would be talking about something happy, and tears would start flowing (I looked insane.) I decided to keep my Skyla and give it time because I'm only 20 and I would rather have some light spotting and uneasy emotions than a child. Now, I'm so happy and everything is normal!"

Most of the time, its worth it (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 8, 2016

"Chose Skyla over Mirena because less hormones and smaller in size. Insertion hurt soooooo badly, and I'm not sure having the IUD is worth it anymore. I've been on my 'period' for 3 weeks now, bleeding nonstop. Ever since I've had the iud inserted, my periods have become so irregular and long. In terms of birth control, it is effective. But nonstop bleeding isn't worth it."

JanuM August 8, 2016

"So, I have reviewed before back in June! I didn't have a cycle since May, I started bleeding a few days ago, it wasn't bad, but now it's super heavy but absolutely no cramps. It's like when I wasn't on birth control."

Cata August 6, 2016

"I've had Skyla for a little over a year now and would say that I like this IUD for the most part. I tried (Paraguard) first and had a horrible experience. I had it for about four months and bled almost everyday for 2 1/2 months of it! Literally everyday. It was a nightmare. I got that one removed and was told to try Skyla instead. I am 27, no kids. My periods have always been very painful, LONG, etc. The Skyla was painful & cramping followed apon insertion, however it subsided after a couple days. For the first 9 months I would get regular periods (not too heavy, not horrible cramping) and after that I either dont get a period,just the cramping and skip it or I will get a period with painful cramping. So its different every month for me."

KiernannG August 6, 2016

"Finally got my Skyla IUD taken out today. I immediately felt better afterwards, bye bye acne, weight gain, and depression! Only good thing about Skyla was that I didn't have a period. That's it. I wish it worked for me but everybody's different!!! Going natural for a while so my body will relax without all the hormones I've had. Me and my boyfriend choose not to have sex anyway! Good experience, DEFINITLEY learned what my body doesn't like. If I do get on birth control again I'm going back to Loryna pills."

18 no kids (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016

"Insertion process was extremely painful (broken many bones and this tops the charts). It was the last day of my period and I had even taken 800mg of ibuprofen beforehand. NP also put lidocaine on my cervix prior to insertion. Drove home after appnt without much discomfort. Light cramping and lethargic the rest of the day and went to bed early. Woke up 2 hrs later with excruciating cramps and could not sleep the rest of the night. Little to no side effects 2 wks following, at which time I started my period again. Cramping became more severe and bleeding proceeded for 10+ days with sharp stabbing pain in cervix (like insertion pain). Couldn't take the pain after 1 wk of persistent symptoms and had IUD removed. Also gained 8 lbs in <3 wks."

Scared of Skyla (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

"I wanted to write a review to share a really positive experience with Skyla. A lot of people are writing about extreme cases and obviously everyone is different, but I just had my Skyla inserted yesterday and the process was a breeze. Much less pain than anticipated. I took 800 mg of IB profin 2 hours before insertion then another 200 mg of IB profin 30 minutes before hand and I hardly felt pain during it. For the rest of the day I certainly had cramps and some bleeding but wasn't as bad as everyone said. Today upon waking up I have no cramps and am so far very happy with my decision. Do not let the idea of pain scare you away, it will be okay!"

Hannah North Carolina August 3, 2016

"It's been 3.5 months it was absolutely awful until a week ago. Insertion wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. It was uncomfortable & I felt slightly crampy for about a week, nothing an Advil or two couldn't fix. During the adjustment period my PMS was just monstrous. Cheers to my bf for staying by my side through it. I couldn't control my emotions AT ALL. I kept telling myself to give it 3 months, see if it'll calm down after my body gets used to it & thankfully I'm feeling almost myself again. I got off my old BC ortho tri cyclen due to PMS. I was hesitant since it did wonders for my skin, but so not worth the mood swings. Skyla gets 7/10. Cons: break outs, heavy periods, lots of spotting"

Lienne August 3, 2016

"I just got my Skyla put in (8/2/16) and honestly, it really comes down to how well you can handle pain. I handle pain fairly well and it did cause discomfort as the procedure occurred. My doctor explained it to me in 3 steps. Measuring your uterus, holding your cervix, and insertion, which means only 3 really tough cramps. Luckily, I was able to drive myself home right after and haven't felt any kind of discomfort. So far, I'm really loving it and I'd say do your research, ask your physician and if everything's checks out, do it. The pain is well worth it."

Kara6782 August 3, 2016