User Reviews for Kyleena

Birth Control
7.3

Summary of Kyleena reviews 7.3 784 reviews

Reviews for Kyleena

For Birth Control "I had Kyleena inserted in May 2018. I read reviews online and was pretty nervous. The insertion was incredibly painful - honestly like nothing I've ever felt before but it's quick. Unfortunately mine fell out and so they had to insert it twice. I was a bit lightheaded and nauseous but I feel like a lot of it was mental. Experienced cramping and pain for a week or so but it was tolerable. I like not having to take bc every night but I get a lot of spotting and breakthrough bleeding. Makes it feel like my period lasts weeks. Also developed some ovarian cysts. I'm going to see if the side effects go away but so far a fairly tolerable experience."

dm January 21, 2019

For Birth Control "I had kyleena inserted in July 2017 and for the next year, bled or spotted 90% of the days. Sometimes it was just a bit of blood when I went to the bathroom but sometimes it was enough to need a thin pad or tampon. After the 1 year mark though, the spotting became almost non existent and I now have a light period that lasts about 5-6 days each month. The most annoying side effect is that I have more discharge now than I did before kyleena so I tend to wear a pantyliner every day. The extra discharge and lubrication is apparent and obvious during sex, which is my main complaint after have this for a year and a half. It’s annoying but I’m glad I put up with it so I don’t need to worry about condoms failing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my Kyleena put in November 2018. I’ve had it two months and I’m so happy with it. I was always forgetful about my pill so it’s freeing to just know it’s there. It was extremely painful going in. It was through doing this that I found out I have Vaginismus. It makes any sort of penetration extremely painful and difficult. However I powered through and the residual pain was manageable. Since the insertion I had an awful first period, but I have been able to explore my sexuality. Since then I’ve gotten a boyfriend and it means I don’t have to panic about whether or not I’ve taken my pill. Now, I have recently started to get acne and my sex drive has increased massively. I don’t regret getting it, but it’ll take a couple months for my body to adjust."

Young gal (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I was put on Kyleena more for my dysmenorrhea (painful periods). Now 10 months post-insertion and nothing but good it say. I never felt pain during insertion, just mild pressure. For the first 3 months my body had to get used to the IUD; lower back pain, spotting between periods, etc. But after that, I had no problems. I still get my period every 26 days, but it’s very light, and no way as painful!"

ItsMe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 19, 2019

For Birth Control "I've had this IUD for three months now. And I'm getting it removed ASAP. I had previously been on Mirena, but my doctor found a way to get me the Kyleena for free so I thought, "why not give it a try, it's free and has less hormones?". Even before I started taking birth control, I never had cramps and I only had a few zits throughout my adolescence. I am now 25 and after having Kyleena inserted 3 months ago, I have the worst cramps ever AND I have horrible acne. I get super emotion right before and during my period, which also never happened to me. I gave it two stars because it has prevented pregnancy, and the insertion wasn't that painful (it was uncomfortable, but that should be expected). Every body is different so some people may actually enjoy this IUD, but I did not. The reason I am writing this review is just to let people know that if they are considering switching from Mirena to Kyleena, think twice!"

A. Morrison (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had the kyleena IUD for about 7 months. I am 18 years old, and was almost 18 when I had it inserted. I was on the pill since the beginning of my period due to very heavy bleeding and bad cramps, but I switched to kyleena due to a clotting disorder. The insertion was not unbearable pain, just very uncomfortable and felt like bad cramps. However, I did faint and have cramps for about a week. My big issue is when I had kyleena inserted, I weighed around 145 lbs, and I now weigh 175-180 lbs. I have not changed my diet or exercise and had always kept a constant weight, so this weight gain has thrown me for a loop. Hopefully something can be done for this, but other than that its good!"

abcde (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 17, 2019

For Birth Control "Most painful experience of my life. I threw up multiple times and fainted - thought I was going to die. Had to stay lay down in the doctor's office for an hour before leaving. Then the pain was fine ( totally gone within 2 hours). However, I feel like my acne has increased and my sex drive is ... totally gone. I'm trying to figure out if this common, it happened to me on the pill too (great contraceptive, but a bit sad)!"

Malani (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2019

For Birth Control "As a 22-year-old who has never had children, the insertion process caused such severe cramping that I almost fainted while driving home from the doctor's office and proceeded to lay in bed curled up in a ball for a day and a half afterwards. I bled lightly but consistently for a couple of months after insertion. From then on, I got severe cramps each month before my period (before an IUD, I never got cramps). I still get cramps each month, but they aren't so severe where I feel nauseous. I also started to (and still do) get acne before my period each month. I haven't experienced significant weight gain or loss, but I do have severe mood swings where I'm depressed for the week leading up to my period. I had to choose the Kyleena because of a blood clotting disorder, and while I haven't gotten pregnant, I don't know if the side effects are worth the efficacy of the IUD."

Meredith (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2019

For Birth Control "Do not let other reviews scare u from getting an IUD! The procedure didn't hurt that much for me, all I experienced was a lot of pressure and discomfort. It only lasts a matter of minutes and then it’s gone! I only experienced slight cramping during and afterwards but now it’s gone and I got it inserted today"

Anonymous January 14, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had Kyleena for over a year and it was rough at first. The first 6 months were unpredictable but my body eventually adjusted and I didn’t spot or bleed anymore. I don’t even know it’s there at all. I had a painful insertion because my cervix is very tiny and that had a lot to do with the bleeding and pain. The only problem I’ve had after those 6 months is the ovarian cysts. I had them for a while and now, they’ve disappeared. The only thing that’s weird now is my breasts are sore. I’ve never had this on Kyleena so I’m not sure what the deal is but they hurt really bad. Other than this, I’ve been fine. Nothing too serious. I’ve spotted maybe 2 times in the past 9 months and I’ve been doing great. I do recommend getting this IUD. Not everyone has the same symptoms so don’t let reviews scare you."

Pay January 14, 2019

For Birth Control "I chose Kyleena because the pill increased my mood swings and I wanted to "set it and forget it". I highly recommend Kyleena to anyone in a similar situation. I'm 25 years old, in a long-term relationship, and I'm a busy (i.e. too lazy/forgetful to take a pill everyday at the same time). It was painful when inserted but only for a day and my doctor prescribed me some high-dose ibuprofen. I used to get bad cramps during my period but they have lightened. The first two months I lightly but consistently bled. He can also occasionally feel the strings when we have sex, more so the first 6 months. Occasionally I get sharp cramps in what feels like my ovary or uterus. I don't know if they are cysts or the IUD poking my uterus but it never happened before my IUD. It could also be menstrual cramps but those are my theories. Otherwise I love my IUD! It gives me peace of mind. I love that my boyfriend and I don't have to use the risky "pull-out" method and it makes sex so much more spontaneous!"

Malia January 14, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the kyleena February 2018. My doctor highly recommended it due to the fact that I had no children and he told me that my awful periods would stop. I went in and knew it would be painful. Honestly, the pain was about an 8 on a scale from 1-10. I cried and shook in pain. The pain didn’t subside for two days. The bleeding was horrible for the first 3 months. I did gain weight. About 15 pounds. The worst part of it all was a burning sensation I would get in my thighs. I was very curious to know what could cause it. Having PCOS, I talked to my doctor and he did a few exams. Apparently, this IUD caused my small cysts on my ovaries to almost triple in size. It also caused massive constipation. I went to the ER with contraction like pains. I have never been in so much pain in all of my life. Every few minutes it was like my uterus was trying to drop out of my vagina! Turns out, my constipation was causing pressure on the IUD. I finally had it removed in October of 2018."

Megss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 14, 2019

For Birth Control "My wife’s gynaecologist recommended she get Kyleena. The insertion caused no pain, but then she started bleeding very heavily for about a month. She was also experiencing severe lower back pain. We took her back to the doctor. He said all ok. After the first month, the bleeding did stop, for a week, then came back for 6 weeks, without stopping. There was also a constant mucus discharge. At the same time she started to develop severe acne along her hairline, down past her her ears to her chin. Nothing visible at the surface, but deep and painful bumps that she has never had before. After 6 months of bleeding, acne, back pain and mood swings, we went back to the doctor, who said all this is expected up to 6 months, and is about to taper off. We tried for another month. Nothing changed - constant bleeding, discharge and acne. In September she had it removed. The lower back pain stopped on the same day. The bleeding stopped within a week. The acne cleared up within two weeks."

Marcpais January 14, 2019

For Birth Control "The insertion was the most pain I've ever experienced. I had cramps and nausea for three days. I'm 40 with no kids and 130lbs. I've never had problems with birth control pills so I don't know why my provider suggested this. Cramps and nausea woke me up in the middle of the night. I had stabbing pain when I went to the bathroom. By Day 3 I looked in the mirror and realized I was not being responsible for my health. I used walk-in clinic hours and had the damn thing removed. If I was in my teens or 20's I would have believed my provider and kept suffering needlessly for months or years. I had a surgical abortion 20 years ago that was less painful and traumatic than my experience with Kyleena."

Tracie (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

For Birth Control "After having a lot of issues with the mirena and liletta (headaches/body pain/mood swings) I decided to switch to Kyleena because of the lower dosage. Best decision ever! Insertion was your typical heavy cramp for a split second... I took 800mg Ibuprofen before insertion. I’ve had it for almost a month now & I feel great. My energy level has actually peaked and I feel well rested in the morning! Its been easier for me to stay on routine and get my daily workout in. I haven’t noticed weight gain and my first period was a bit lighter. Overall I am pleased to have a birth control that is working & not making me feel like I am sick or crazy."

Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I am 24 and I decided to get the Kyleena inserted in September 2018 right after having an abortion under general anesthesia. After reading many reviews, I was terrified of the side effects but decided to try it out, especially since I wouldn't have to go through the pain of insertion. I experienced light spotting and cramping for two weeks and then resumed my regular monthly period shortly after with minimal cramping during the time of the month. No other side effects in terms of weight gain, mood changes, skin changes (surprisingly, as this is my first form of birth control). So far I am happy with my Kyleena and glad to have a peace of mind. Just remember everyone's experience will be different and you just have to find what works for you. Good luck if you decide to try the kyleena!"

Sera_a (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2019

For Birth Control "Just got it today. I have the best pain tolerance so wasn’t nervous at all, have got multiple piercings, blood draws, shots, and broken bones and I have NEVER cried in one of them. This pain was unbearable, I almost passed out, I’ve never been in so much pain in my life, if I would have know how painful it was going to be I would have never got it. Hoping all that pain will be worthy it!"

R0000 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I got Kyleena inserted 3 weeks ago. I had Nexplanon and got that removed the same day that I got Kyleena inserted. Insertion was pretty painful because I (apparently) have a small cervix and my Dr had to use a special tool to help open that up and insert the IUD and it was really painful. After insertion, I had very bad cramps to the point I felt like passing out but they were better the next day. I got strange looking discharge that was grayish/tan that would come out sporadically the following days, no blood though. Some pieces/chunks of discharge were large too. Then 2 days after insertion, I started with the spotting/bleeding and I have had it ever since. I bleed everyday, all day. Sometimes its brown and I think its going away and then it turns bright red again. I cannot wait for this to sort itself out!! I was already bleeding from the Nexplanon but now this. I have been bleeding since October (yes it is January now!) and I am ready for it to stop now!!! I also have dizziness, cramping and nausea."

Hello123456 January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I had the Kyleena inserted four months ago. I have two children, both c sections. I found the insertion fine, with minor cramping for two days. I bled for these past four months every day minus about two weeks. I expected this. I did not gain weight. I finally stopped bleeding about a week ago. I have just lost a considerable amount of hair. More than the loss that occurs after pregnancy. Most of my loved ones have noticed. I am having the IUD removed in two days. I went to a dermatologist and now need to supplement with vitamins and over the counter products to try and stimulate hair growth. I had a thick head of hair and no other reason to have lost this much hair. The IUD is effective, easy but I may need a wig now. Who can say?"

SarMarguerite80 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I'm 39 yrs old and before Kyleena I was on the Mirena. I switched due to lower hormones suggested by my Gyno. The insertion was painful and I've had it now for 3 months. I'm comparing it to the Mirena because that's what I am used to but the Kyleena is painful especially when your due for your period. I stopped bleeding but during that time of my suppose period I get bad cramps and a really foul smell. Also, my acne is bad I have never experienced bad skin until now. My mood swings are unexpected and frequently. I'm giving it another month perhaps my body needs more time to get used to it but so far it has been a bad experience."

Natalie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "Getting Kyleena inserted was a terrible experience. The pain was awful, I almost made them stop completely. After getting it, I spot almost everyday and it has been 2 months. I have been experiencing a lot of weight gain and believe it is from the Kyleena. I also have been breaking out much more than usual. Hopefully these side effects soon go away."

Rachel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I mentally prepared myself for insertion, thinking it would be the worst pain ever based on reviews. I was wrong... I’d rate it a 2/10 at most. Literally barely felt it. I have a high pain tolerance, but it was a complete walk in the park for me. However the cramps that followed were UNBEARABLE and nonstop for about 10 hours after. The next day I was fine cramp wise, but starting then began to bleed lightly nonstop for about 6 weeks. After this, no period at all. At first I thought all was well but then began to experience pretty severe depression symptoms. Going to have it removed ASAP because I can’t stand feeling this way. Really sucks because it’s an amazing BC method in theory and totally removes any paranoia associated with pregnancy... 10/10 when it comes to preventing pregnancy for sure, but just can’t deal with the depression."

Cdogggg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2019

For Birth Control "*UPDATED REVIEW* I've been on the Kyleena IUD for about two years and its been great to me. The insertion wasn't painful at all, and the recovery time was very minimal (probably like a day but I got it on a Friday so I took the whole weekend to relax). My periods are non existent but sometimes I get spotting with mild cramping for a few days before it goes away, but the cramping is much more tolerable than when I wasn't on any birth control at all and felt like dying whenever I was on my period. It's given me a little bit of acne on my chin but really not anything super noticeable. I haven't had any "accidents" unlike when I was on the pill. My partner says he does not feel it in me either so that's a big plus too. It also hasn't messed with my emotions either which was a big problem when I was on the shot and it amped up my depression/anxiety making me borderline suicidal. I have nothing but good things to say about Kyleena and plan to get it again when this one needs a replacement."

Helena Beat 2 January 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I've had kyleena for about 9 months now. It was quite painful for me getting it. And I had a lot of cramping for a week after. Also was very bloated. Since I've gotten it I've gained 10 to 13lbs within a few months. I only bleed very lightly once every 2 months. I don't get regular periods anymore. I did also start breaking out on my face and chest when I've never had issues with that before. I get light cramps here and there. But I guess it's effective because I haven't gotten pregnant yet. When I was taking birth control pills I never had side effects of acne or weight gain. So its been a weighing up of pros and cons for new. If i gain more weight i might get it removed."

Kitkat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had Kyleena for a full year now and so far I have had no complications with the actual IUD itself. It is also the first birth control I've tried that hasn't caused depression! I am giving it a 9 because it is very effective at preventing pregnancy however I have experienced some side effects with it. I never used to really get cramps and when I did, they were easy to deal with. After getting the Kyleena IUD, I almost always get pretty bad cramps before my period but nothing I can't fix with some pain killers. I have also been experiencing yeast infections for the first time in my life that have been on and off for the past 6 months, I heard IUDs can sometimes cause yeast infections so I am not sure if it is from Kyleena or some other reason. Other than those side effects, I think Kyleena is a great option for many people!"

Jenabee (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2019

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...