User Reviews for Kyleena

Birth Control
7.1

Summary of Kyleena reviews 7.1 955 reviews

Reviews for Kyleena

For Birth Control "Recently had Kyleena inserted (06/14/19). So far, I'm loving it! The insertion hurt––you definitely want to hold onto something to squeeze, but I didn't find it to be too terrible. The whole thing took about fifteen minutes. My doctor said it went really well. I would recommend taking 800mg of Tylenol before the surgery. Yes, it is painful getting it done, but you have to think: it's better to be getting IUD strings cut rather than a different kind of string cut (if you know what I mean.) Felt great afterwards–drove myself home. Cramps started about 3 hours after the procedure. Pretty heavy cramps but if you already get heavy cramps with your period this should be nothing new. Cramps stopped after a day (maybe day and a half) but after that I've felt great. Had sex the day of and it felt fine–my partner noticed the strings but he really didn't mind it. Everyone's body is different and reacts different ways, so it's important to not stress on negative reviews!"

Jules June 17, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my Kyleena about a month ago and I’m not going to lie, the insertion hurt like hell but it wasn’t the worst thing ever. The insertion was quick. I spot for the day and cramped 2 times after the insertion. I didn’t have any cramps or spot for 3 days straight. THEN the symptoms hit and oh my gosh are these the worse cramps ever! It got so bad to the point where my ibuprofen isn’t even working anymore more. I’ve spot non stop since and that’s been crappy as well. My mood seems fine. I don’t know if it’s because I have more free time now that school is out or if the IUD is the cause but my sex drive seems to have increased. I’ve been with my boyfriend for a while so he doesn’t mind it. The only other symptom I’m getting is bloating but other than that I haven’t dealt with anything else. Getting an IUD just depends on how YOUR body will react."

CZ June 17, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had Kyleena for less than a week, although I cannot say much on medium/long term side effects, I wanted to share my experience up to now. The pain of having it fitted was not at all unbearable, and was definitely made worse by the fear of having an IUD inserted. The doctor made me feel relaxed, knowing she's done it before many time. The procedure was quick, I've mainly felt a weird type of discomfort, but nothing terrible. Remember how many other women get it, and the reviews you read tend to be negatively biased most of the times. Simply because the majority that feels fine with it doesn't have the urge to complain about it, but goes along with their lives. The first two days I had few cramps and had some dark spotting - which seems to have lightened today. I can say that I don't feel anything weird or discomfortable in my belly now. And the thought of not being on loads of oestrogen/ other hormones relaxes me. Good luck to you all choosing the best contraceptive"

firstbirthcontrol June 15, 2019

For Birth Control "So I got it inserted yesterday. It took about 2 to 3 minutes for the procedure. It felt like bad cramps. I'm spotting from my period still. I will check in in a month."

Ashley (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2019

For Birth Control "It’s effective enough that it prevents pregnancy by making you have spotting to light bleeding all the time! The insertion process really hurt, but I thought it was a small price to pay. I couldn’t say that my mood has changed but I’ve been experiencing acne different then I have before, weight gain, and random cramping outside of my periods. Ever since it’s been inserted, I’ve pretty much had light spotting to actual bleeding. There was a week interval in between my period where I stopped bleeding but a few days later, I started bleeding heavily. I’m going to give it another month and if this hasn’t stopped, then I’m going back to my gynecologist to have it removed."

M3rrell (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2019

For Birth Control "This is an update on my kyleena that I have had now for 1 year, so far I LOVE it! No symptoms for me except shorter periods much shorter, like two days max with bleeding that doesn’t even require a pad because it’s just when I wipe . No acne, no weight gain, no mood swings or any of that just a great birth control that has so far prevented pregnancy! I highly recommend this and the insertion process wasn’t painful at all!"

Inia June 13, 2019

For Birth Control "*Mostly commenting about the insertion and recovery as I have had Kyleena for less than 1 week* Insertion: Not fun, but I would do it again if needed. It’s very brief (about 20 full seconds of real pain) then some cramping. I felt like I had been punched in the uterus afterward. Recovery: I had zero energy for about 24 hours following the insertion. Slept for most of the day and night. Cramping was minimal, period felt normal. More about me: - Average pain tolerance (I avoid waxing but can do it) - 25 y/o who has never been pregnant - Had Nexplanon for just over a year and removed it due to weight gain, mental health issues, acne, and spotting"

NYCChocoholic (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2019

For Birth Control "This drug is awful... side effects began 2 days after insertion. Before Kyleena I was only using condoms, so it was not a transition off of the pill. A week prior I had clear, even skin. After Kyleena my skin became so red and irritated that clothing brushing against my chest was painful. This was compounded with uncontrollable anger and irritation. I would fly off the handle for no reason and then burst into tears. I felt like I was going crazy. The anxiety kept me up every night. The headaches couldn't be stopped, even doubling up on Advil. I was sweating, hot and oily and I am normally a cold person with dry skin. My blood pressure was raised from normal. My sex drive completely dropped off and having sex became mentally impossible. I went to have it removed twice and my doctor talked me out of it. Finally, after a month of torture a walk-in clinic agreed to remove it for me. It's only been a few days, but the headaches have already stopped and my mood is returning to normal. Buyer beware."

Dano June 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I just got Kyleena this morning and the experience was just okay. I was nervous going into it and I took 800mg of Advil to help with the pain (doctor recommended). The insertion is very quick but my uterus did move so the doctor had to clamp it which was the worst part. The insertion itself did not hurt bad just felt like a few waves of bad period cramps. I still have a lot of cramping and bloating right now but they do feel like little more severe period cramps. Overall I hope it works out."

Auna (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I just got the Kyleena put in today so I'm not sure what my long term experience will be but I did want to share my insertion experience. I just had a baby so I did not have to be dilated and I normally have extremely crampy periods. That being said it was a very quick process and only felt like a couple cramps going in. It was nothing like my period cramps or having a baby. So if you're a person like me the process was piece of cake."

Justhadababy (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my Kyleena inserted this morning and let me tell you: DO NOT READ THE HORROR STORIES. You will be fine! Relax, breathe, and don't let other people's dramatics get in the way from you receiving an excellent form of birth control. I worked myself up all week before the insertion and it was nothing more than a pap smear. Mind you: I took 800mg of ibuprofen 30 minutes prior (what my OBGYN office recommended) so that may have helped significantly. I will definitely be posting a follow up review in 3 months or so listing any side effects but for now I'm so happy I went through with it."

Nicole (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the Kyleena IUD inserted June 2018. It’s been about a year and my periods are still all over the place and I get two periods a month. When I got it inserted, it was painful but not terrible. I bled for 2-3 months straight after that (light). I started to experience hair loss in August and my hair is not the same since but I’m using different hair products to grow my hair now. I have increased anxiety, more mood swings, and oiler skin from Kyleena. I also experienced such a terrible smell from down there a few weeks after and I took medicine prescribed by the Dr and it went away. I do notice I get BV more but I insert boric acid to balance my PH when my vagina feels different."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I had the Kyleena inserted a few weeks ago. Pain wasn’t unbearable but did hurt. Felt like major period cramps. Only about 4 of the cramps. It was QUICK. Also works for 5 years so that’s great."

M765 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2019

"After having a D&C and polyp removal, I started hemorrhaging 4 days after the procedure. Gushing blood completely soaking pad after pad. My next period did the same thing!!! Three months later, I under went another D&C and insertion of the Kyleena IUD to help with thinning out my thick uterine lining and decrease the heaviness of my periods. Insertion was easy because I was under general anesthesia and of course didn’t feel any pain. First four days still pain free, no cramps just light spotting. Then two weeks later horrible cramps!!! I think my body finally recognized a foreign object was in there. Light spotting everyday! The week before period experienced breast pain, boobs were so big... I had to go buy a bigger bra! Retaining water 5 lbs increase in weight, period finally starts breast pain decreases, bra is now too big, light to medium flow, period hasn’t ceased yet day 7th."

Shelli (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2019

For Birth Control "It technically did what it was supposed to do. I didn't become pregnant. Insertion process was crampy but not awful. After getting it inserted I had a period for the first six months and then I stopped getting a period entirely. I also started to grow hair on my chin and sex became painful. It made it really hard for me to get wet. So yeah, didn't get pregnant, but I really wish I had never gotten it in the first place."

Not pregnant thank you (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2019

For Birth Control "DO NOT get this birth control. I got the IUD inserted about a year and a half ago and about 3 months into getting it I started getting a little bit of acne here and there. About 8 months into it I started having full fledged breakouts which soon turned into hormonal cystic acne. I thought it was due to stress at first but eventually realized it was because of my IUD. I got it taken out and am now on the pill and my skin has improved a little - still a long way to to. I had never had bad skin before - always perfect skin with no breakouts."

Grace June 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena IUD inserted after giving birth to my son in 2012. I had it for 5 years and it cause a little discomfort (I was cramping with it a lot) but it was otherwise pleasant. I took it out because they cramps increased after sex. I needed to get back on something because my periods were painful and long. I went with Kyleena this time around and it is THE WORST THING EVER. Facial hair! Cramp! Spotting! Severe constipation! Severe acne! Gas! Bloating! WEIGHT GAIN!!!! Breast soreness! My vagina was itching ! It is terribleeeeeee! My doctor suggest about 6 months ago I give it a full year to see if my body will adjust and it hasn't. KYLEENA MUST GO!"

Daisy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Skyla for 2.5 years prior to Kyleena but figured 5 years would be better than 3 when it came time to switch. I had constant infections for the 6 months I had Kyleena that would come and go, amongst a ton of other unpleasant side effects. It made my acne really good though with Spironolactone. I have a ton of friends with Kyleena and they love it and haven’t had problems. The only way for you to find out whether not your body will take to it is to try it. If it doesn’t work, take it out and try something else. I really wanted to love it but getting it taken out seemed like the only logical option for me. Ps the insertion and removal doesn’t hurt at all, just take an extra Advil and you’ll be ok (dr said this was fine), though be ready for a few hours of cramps the next day."

Sara (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my IUD inserted yesterday. The process was quick. I'm not going to lie, it hurt, but it was not unbearable. Reading reviews makes it seem like it was the worst pain of your life—it felt like a few waves of intense period cramps, but for someone who got unbearable period cramps before birth control, it was not the worst pain. I had a lot of cramping after but when I woke up this morning it seems like it has passed."

Abby (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Kyleena inserted yesterday and it overall hasn't been that bad. I had pretty severe cramps during insertion and for about 2 hours after. I took some midol and got some dinner and felt a little better after. This morning waking up I had very very minimal cramps, and almost no spotting anymore. I've been back to myself all day and had about a 30 min attack of cramps and that has been it. So far very comfortable with the IUD and nice to know I'm protected for a good amount of time. Insertion was not as terrible as I thought it would be. Very quick and easy"

Aluvsya (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had Kyleena for about 6 months now. I loved the concept of something I didn’t have to remember to take once a day. BUT I developed severe anxiety and depression. So unlike me and came out of nowhere with no life changes. Cramping increased and I had 2 periods a month! It was a pain in the butt. I had it removed today and hope things go back to normal!"

Gg June 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I was absolutely terrified to get Kyleena after hearing all the horror stories about the pain. Today I went in to have it inserted, and ladies, it is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it sound. The insertion was an uncomfortable minute with about 10 minutes of what feels like heavy period cramps afterward. My doctor had suggested that I schedule the procedure during my period, as the cervix is more dilated at this time making the insertion easier. I am glad I followed that advice. I’ve spent the rest of my day out and about, pain free."

Tj (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I just got Kyleena put in a few days ago, I have a high pain tolerance so the I thought the insertion wouldn’t be bad, but holy cow it hurt really bad. I think it was because I was overthinking the pain. It doesn’t last long though. Many people say that they cramp hard the rest of the day but I just popped some ibuprofen and then I played a softball game and was fine. Still had some cramping in my lower back though."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my Kyleena IUD inserted August 2018. Getting the IUD inserted definitely wasn’t comfortable but it is bearable and worth the tiny bit of discomfort you feel for a short period of time. I cramped a little bit after getting it inserted but nothing that some medication couldn’t fix. I didn’t really get any negative side effects from the Kyleena. I can say that it makes me moody but I was always was moody lol. My period got lighter as months passed and 9 months later and my period is finally gone. Everyone’s body is different but just thought I’d leave my positive experience on here."

Lene (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 4, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had Kyleena for almost a year (2018 is when I got it; now June 5th 2019) and I guess I like it enough. It’s my first birth control and I was nervous about insertion but I got the numbing shot and it still hurt a bit, but not as bad as I thought it would. I was having horrible pains the next day, but I had sex anyway to try and get rid of the pains like I would for period cramps. Bad idea. The following week was hell and I cried often. Mostly when I was trying to relax or go to sleep. I had to press hard on my stomach for the pain to subside and I cried myself to sleep most of those nights. After the pain went away I was feeling a lot better; definitely more like myself. What I find to be the worst at this point is my periods are 2x what they were before I got the IUD. They’re a lot lighter, but they now last two weeks instead of just one. The rating of 6 is due to the fact that it keeps me from getting pregnant and I don’t get horrible cramps anymore."

Notsureofanickname June 4, 2019