User Reviews for Kyleena

Birth Control
7.5

Summary of Kyleena reviews 7.5 680 reviews

Reviews for Kyleena

For Birth Control "Let me just start off with say I love my Kyleena and it was the best decision I have made. I got it on March 1st, 2018. I was on my period when I got it inserted. There was some cramping when they put it in but thats only because they have to open your cervix. The bleeding stopped the day after I got it. Every once in awhile I’ll have light cramps but no bleeding. I do spot occasionally but not to the point where I need a tampon. Only see it when I use the bathroom. I haven’t had a period since March and it’s October! Also my acne has cleared up tremendously! I would highly recommend Kyleena to anyone willing to give it a try."

Kayla October 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on Kyleena for 3 months. Spotted for 2 weeks and haven’t had a period since. Had acne the first month but it went away. I have PCOS. I get some weird cramps around my ovulation and where my period would normally be on this but nothing too awful that ibuprofen and heat can’t fix. I have water retention mid cycle, about 5lbs, but it goes away. Sex drive is lower but can still orgasm unlike on some birth controls. No mood swings what so ever. I use a 50/50 water and hydrogen douche when I spot a day around my period and haven’t had BV or a yeast infection which I got from Mirena, I also take probiotics. I have been on the pill and Nuvaring, both gave me terrible depression and killed my sex drive. The copper IUD made me anemic after a year and threw off my liver function almost like a person with Wilson’s disease and immune system plummeted. I’d recommend trying Kyleena definitely but to each their own."

LadyAK October 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I've gained more than 6 kg from the moment I've started with Kyleena (I have it for like 4 months). I hadn't had any weight gain with Mirena, but with Mirena I was feeling numb. With Kyleena my sex drive improved, my skin is getting worse and as I already said, I've gained, and I'm still gaining a lot of weight. I don't eat unhealthy. Recovering from an eating disorder, so I know what I have to eat. I've already planned an appointment with the anasthesist to remove my Kyleena and getting a copper IUD."

An (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

For Birth Control "IUD's are a wonderful option for many women. Unfortunately something about it just did not react well with my body. Around months 4-7 the bloating, weight gain and mood swings especially irritability started to take over. I noticed a 7 pound weight gain around 4 months and suspected that the IUD was the culprit....but I was also going through some depression in earlier months which I thought maybe caused it instead. I was SO easily irritated and the bloating and rapid weight gain was effecting me so much that I didn't even want my boyfriend to touch me. I gained another 6 pounds in 1 month. 13 pounds total. The bloating got worse and Idefinitely felt myself gaining more weight. My doctor gave her 'medical opinion' but I was not myself so I got it removed. It's my 2nd day without and I am having little to no bloating which feels amazing and I definitely see an improvement in my mood and energy already. Great birth control for women who don't experience the negatives like I did..."

Dani October 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Don’t let the stories of the insertion scare you. I was expecting and slicing or cutting feeling but it just felt like an intense cramp for 5 seconds, and then normal period cramps for the rest of the day. IUD’s are amazing because you never have to worry about them. I had a few experiences where I had sharp, painful cramps out of no where (I never used to get cramps before) and my acne has gotten bad, which is why I’m thinking of switching. However, it is so convenient that I might just justify keeping it in and suffering through the hormonal acne. My periods are irregular and my bleeding is normally old blood. I have also experienced anxiety, frequent UTIs (which I combat by taking a cranberry pill everyday) but it’s hard to tell if the IUD is causing it or not."

Kay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I had kyleena for about 6 months until I decided to take it out. For the first 3 months I had dark brown discharge daily with brown specs in it , also accompanied by occasional sharp cramps. After the horrendous discharge experience was over, I was greeted with another issue, chronic yeast infections that I would get every month, sometimes twice a month. I would go to the doctor and get medicine to treat it , it would work then a few days after the treatment , I would get the same symptoms all over again.The side effects weren’t worth it , my vagina was always irritated , swollen, itchy or inflamed. I never used to get this much yeast infections prior to the IUD , I’d get 1-2 max per year which is normal but when it turned into an every month thing I decided to take it out. Also I experienced nausea, headaches, lightheadedness & tender breasts... I almost fainted a few times due to the lightheadedness. Proceed with caution on this one. Do your research."

Basedonatruestory231478 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Hi I'm from London, mother of 2 , I got the Kyleena from the sexual health clinic on 20.9.18. The insertion wasn't bad few cramps and then cramping and aching for next 2 days but had to lie down and take it easy. I was on my period when I had it inserted but I've been having light bleeding ever since then every single day!! It is annoying but I'm going to wait 2 months before trying something else. My doc did say I can have the pill on top if its too much bleeding but I don't want any more hormones. I did get some headaches for 2 weeks after but these have gone now and not sure if they were related to the IUD. Overall no acne yet, I used to have implant in my arm that gave me bad acne! However so far other than bleeding I'm happy with it."

KC (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I am glad that I didn't read any reviews or look up pictures before having this done.The insertion was extremely painful (way worse than any of my piercings or tattoos) but over far quicker. The only moment of "I can't handle this" pain was just as it was inserted, & then it was done. No kids she explained that wouldn't change the pain level, which was reassuring. I did feel faint for a few minutes after, but then I was perfectly fine to drive home. The cramps were the worst after effect- I'm thankful for Midol & my heating pad. The first 16 hours they were almost constant, & then the following 20-24 hours they more mild. After that, no significant pain or discomfort. Bleeding (after day 2) was all old blood & lasted about 8 days. Day 12 in the evening I had the worst cramping I'd had so far, it lasted a couple of hours, then following day were mild cramps, nothing worrying. If this works out, I will be very thankful. I guess by month 6 I'll know-I have high hopes."

Tired October 8, 2018

For Birth Control "Update on my review** from 2018-09-18 It has been a month now. I want to get it removed. I am having random strong cramps during the day OR night, it's to the point where I'm crying and almost vomiting. Having migraine also. The spotting is there but I don't think it's that bad. I have experienced acne, previously I have NEVER had acne . Most of the time, I feel dizzy and light-headed ,I don't want to get out of my bed anymore. I have never been this tired. After work, I'm shaky I almost can't walk. I have terrible back pain and leg pain as if I was constantly in my period. In the morning, I have difficulty to eat because I always feel like puking until 9am ,and that is since the day of the insertion. I just do not think the IUD is for me."

Camille October 8, 2018

For Birth Control "Update: It’s been about a month now with my IUD. I’m very happy with it. However, I am going on almost 2 weeks with a period. It sucks but I expected it!! Definitely been experiencing menstrual cramps that are awful but I just take Tylenol and Advil! I also noticed I’m getting slight acne but nothing major. I’m hoping the bleeding will stop soon but when I was on the pill it took a while for my body to adjust. Again, I highly recommend getting it.... remember to take 4 Advil prior and ask your doctor about a pill to take the night before to dilate your cervix. It will help A LOT and not be as painful."

sabby (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Hello all, I have Kyleena insert 10/2/18 it was on my cycle. I had had two children by natural birth, so I felt a little cramp but I haven’t got anything else so far which is good> I think everyone body reacts differently to it, I'll keep you guys updated."

Risssa (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had my IUD for about 3 weeks now. I am quite shocked to see that some people passed out/vomited from the experience as mine was flawless, I was in and out of the Drs office in about 5 minutes. Sure, the insertion was painful, but not unbearable. I have also never given birth and I took ibuprofen prior to the appointment. I wasn't given anything to loosen the cervix. It felt like a sharp, extreme period cramp during the uterus measurement, and another similar sharp, extreme cramp for the insertion, which each lasted about 3 seconds. As soon as the insertion was done, the sharp pain changed to a dull pain which probably lasted for about an hour. I had some bleeding that day and some mild spotting for about 2 more days, and thats it. I get cramping on and off occasionally, but VERY mild, less than a period cramp, and it usually only lasts a few minutes. So for those reading these reviews and freaking yourself out, it's possible your experience will go just as smoothly."

C October 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Just got the kyleena early this morning and my experience was great I took a 600mg ibuprofen a half hour before appointment and didn't feel a thing just a little pressure but it was over in 2 mins not even was so fast. Loving it so far but it's only been a day hopefully this works out in long run for me !"

Anonymous October 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had kyleena about 1 year. Insertion wasn’t bad for me but I tolerate pain well after having kids. The first few months were rough- cramps, non stop bleeding, bad hormonal acne, mood swings, etc. I combated these symptoms with midol, my fav face mask, herbal tea and heating pads. I am so glad I stuck it out because my body must have acclimated and I haven’t had any issues for the last 9 months. No more acne, zero spotting or bleeding, and my horrible periods and cramps completely gone. 3 months of torture traded for almost 5 years of not having to worry about anything worth it to me. I have noticed that this makes me hungrier so I’ve had to be cognizant of that to avoid weight gain. I drink herbal tea to quell the hunger. Haven’t gained any weight though. After insurance I only paid $7. Couldn’t be happier with Kyleena."

Km (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had Kyleena for almost a year now and it is amazing. The insertion was very painful but only lasted maybe 10 seconds. Experienced cramps for the first 12 hours or so but have never had an issue since. My periods are much lighter (from a 7 day period to 3 days of very light spotting) and do not come as often. I have experienced acne on my chin and back but it is not awful and I'm not 100% sure if Kyleena is the cause. I highly recommend."

reed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I really like being on Kyleena. It’s pretty much stress free as far as birth control goes, almost completely one and done. Insertion was pretty painful, partially because I had no expectation of it being painful so it was also a bit of shock. Felt okay after two days or so. I’ve been on for over 9 months and the cramps are pretty bad. Definitely worse for me than pre-iud cramps and not concentrated to having a period. For the first 7 months, my period was super light but really long, normally 1.5 to 2 weeks. At 8 months, my period lasted for about 4 hours. Quite the drastic change. Hoping to see it even out soon. Had slightly more acne than normal here and there but not constantly. Only other difficulty was for my husband. The strings poked him pretty painfully in most positions and it was pretty difficult to have sex at all. Kind of destroys the point of birth control. Had to go back in to get the strings tucked into my cervix. No problem after that."

Bobsmay October 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 18 years old never had a kid. I've had my Kyleena in for about 2 months, and I am getting it out next week to switch back to the pill. I was on the pill for 3 years and I wanted to change it up since I am in college now. The insertion was rough, wasn't as bad as I thought but it was pretty intense. I was okay with the IUD for the first week, then the cramps came, and I had severe every day ones to the point I would cry, hold my breath and almost pass out. I planned to keep it in for 6 months to a year to give my body time to adjust, but I don't think I can handle it anymore. I had my period for 6 weeks, had a week break, now I'm back on it and I have no idea when this will end. I also went from having normal to dry skin to becoming an oil pool. I have hormonal acne which I never have had before while taking the pill, and I feel so dirty. I have weight loss of about 10 lbs. I can't gain back and I think I am still losing weight. My anxiety has gone up as well, and I have mood swings."

iviee September 30, 2018

For Birth Control "Hi guys! I posted awhile back talking about my experience. My insertion was not painful. It’s been about a month and a half and I’m experiencing such painful cramps. I’ve always suffered bad ones but these are horrible...has anyone else experienced this? I’m still spotting everyday... give me some insight"

hithere (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Kyleena a month ago after years of being on the pill. Having never had a baby, insertion hurt. It wasn’t the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced, it was just a different kind of pain. It was uncomfortable, sharp, and crampy. The cramps calmed down for an hour after insertion but then came full force driving home. They were so painful I almost had to pull over on my way home. They continued throughout the rest of the day and were horrible. However, I have never had period cramps before this so I think I’ve been hyper sensitive to them. The next day I was fine and had no cramps for a week. After a week I would randomly get sharp cramps but I’ve had no spotting. I rarely get cramps now. My only real complaint is that I did get a bad yeast infection after insertion. All in all, insertion hurts and you may have to deal with being slightly uncomfortable for a bit while your body adjusts, but it’s well worth it to be in control of body!"

Emma (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 28 and have had two children. I had my last baby a year ago now. My period had returned at 5 months after having baby. I thought insertion was uncomfortable, but bearable. Nothing as intense as back labor or giving birth. So far I took a little ibuprofen to help manage some mild discomfort and I’ve had some spotting. I’ll come back and report more about my experience in a few weeks."

Rue (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 18 yrs old, never had a child & on Kyleena for 2weeks. I was not on my period for insertion and I was on the pill for 4 years prior to switching. I read many reviews before & was nervous for insertion/side effects. I took 800mg Motrin before appointment & was given 2 tablets of misoprostol to insert vaginally 2hrs prior. Insertion of Kyleena wasn't nearly as bad as expected, only lasting about 20 secs & felt like a sharp pain. I was light headed, crampy & nauseous for about 12 hours following but cramps turned into intense pressure & light headedness subsided. I was nauseous for about a week after insertion. I did not start bleeding until 5 days after & it started as brown discharge before moving into a light bleed & back to discharge which now seems to be coming to an end. Overall, I'm so far happy with Kyleena & hope that all continues to go well. If you are contemplating getting this IUD, please give it a try, don’t let other reviews scare you because it truly is a different experience for everyone"

Vanessa (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I went & read the reviews while choosing between the Kyleena, mirena and Paragard. After reading I was terrified & had anxiety before my appointment. I wanted to share my experience bc it wasn’t bad. I was instructed to take a pain killer 1h before & took 1 ext strength Advil. I did a urine sample to confirm I wasn’t preg and my DR did a pap. I’m 30 yrs & have never had kids. The opening of the cervix was where I felt a bit dizzy. The measurement & insertion was the worst part. I felt cramping & pain but on a scale of 1-10 it was like a 4 or 5 at worst, & it only lasted maybe 10 secs. I felt perfectly fine right after & just have minor cramping & a little bleeding. If anything changes I will write another review. Don’t let the reviews scare you bc most women who have good experiences don’t go on here to write about it (naturally people are just more inclined to write a review when things go wrong). Bring someone you are comfortable with. It was helpful to have the support!"

AidaG September 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m on week three. Insertion was not that bad. Two days after the cramps were so bad. I had to pull over on the high way. Still cramping everyday. Now that I’m on week 3 it’s been better but I still get cramps. I’m still spotting as well. Emotionally I feel like a mess. I feel very depressed. My doc want me to try for a few months. But I think I’m gonna get it taken out."

Ao September 25, 2018

For Birth Control "The insertion of the IUD was the most pain that I’ve ever experienced, but totally worth it. You feel a pinch when the device enters the uterus, after that there’s a really painful cramp. The cramp feels similar to a mini contraction. The pain only last for a few seconds. It was all worth it. I don’t have to worry about taking a pill every day or getting a shot every 3 months. The side effects that you read on the internet are generalized. The information that you find is basically talking about all progestin birth control. Not the IUD specifically. The IUD mainly effects the uterus (not in a bad way) Other methods like the pill and the shot can effect several parts of the body. A good example would be calcium depletion with longterm use of Depo. When on any form of birth control I suggest taking a probiotic daily to prevent a yeast infection and to prevent BV. I’m speaking from experience. Doctors and nurses don’t tell you these things."

Kylee (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had Kyleena for one year and it is great. I am 42 with 2 children. Doc used local anesthesia for insertion which minimized pain. Got some really bad cramping about an hour after - took 2 advil and gone within 30 minutes. Occasional yeast infection, but that would happen regardless. No issue with weight gain. Cycles were 1 to 3 days longer than normal within first 6 months, but now have returned to usual 28 day cycle. Hardly any bleeding post insertion or monthly - still get some spotting for 1 to 3 days but barely enough for a panty liner. Lessened PMS symptoms as well. No issues with weight gain, hair loss, acne, or mood swings. Definitely works as effective birth control that is effortless. Highly recommend. Wouldn't read too much into negative reviews. Everyone reacts differently. Pill never worked for me. Horrible weight gain, thick cervical mucous, and no sex drive. This had no such effects! Quite the opposite in fact!"

RPP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...