User Reviews for Kyleena

Birth Control
7.2

Summary of Kyleena reviews 7.2 878 reviews

Reviews for Kyleena

For Birth Control "I got my IUD inserted in December 2018 and I'm supposed to get it out today April 9th 2019 . The insertion was the most terrible pain I've experienced in my life. I also have not given child birth so that might play a factor. The only pro I can say about the IUD is my periods are lighter, shorter, and on time every month !! Besides that I have been breaking out like crazy my skin is usually always clear. Ever since I've been on the IUD my skin has been do terrible and I've gained 12 pounds within 3-4 months !! Ladies if you feel certain birth control isn't working for you try something else !! I've never been so self conscious about myself my jeans don't fit, my face is just terrible when my skin is usually clear. It has changed my personality completely. I'm not myself and can't wait to get it removed ! Every one is different its always worth a try but its not worth you're self love !"

Hm1123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

For Birth Control "When I had the IUD put in, it hurt so bad! Most painful thing I’ve experienced during and after. I had bad cramps for about a month and during that time leading up to my 1 month check up I was determined to get it removed. I’m so happy I didn’t. I am currently 6 months in and haven’t had a period in 3 months. I also haven’t gotten pregnant and fail to use any other birth control form, including the pull out method. I still need to go and get the strings cut since sometimes it shifts and I feel it stabbing me. Be prepared to take off work the day you get it put in, nothing prepared me for the pain but I also have a tilted uterus which could have been a big cause of pain. My doctor jammed it in to make sure it was in the correct spot. Every now and then I’ll spot but not enough to wear a tampon or pad. I have gained weight, about 5 pounds but not sure that’s due to the IUD. Love it, glad I got it."

AL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2019

For Birth Control "The insertion was truly not bad at all. I do have a fairly high pain tolerance but honestly, the pain was a 2/10 for me. The actual insertion itself was just a bad cramp for me (keeping in mind my cramps have always been tolerable but still painful) and more achey than pinches/stingy feelings. The worst part was the heavy cramping afterwards but that gets better with a heating pad, advil or aleve, ice cream, and chocolate. :) At exactly 1 month I noticed acne which is now cystic acne that I have never really dealt with before. Since it is only a month, I am going to see if my hormones are just still out of whack since the insertion and my recent period. However, I am using benzoyl peroxide for spot treatment and trying to exfoliate more. I would say that the IUD has affected my hormones, but I'm not 100% sure if it is the Kyleena IUD, stress, or both."

HP (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I am an 18 year old girl who has never been pregnant or on any birth control prior to getting my Kyleena IUD inserted a week ago. The insertion experience for me was quite painful, however, it was quick and well worth it to not have to stress about an unwanted pregnancy for the next 5 years. I had it inserted on the last day of my period and experienced severe cramping during and immediately after insertion followed by a few hours of mild cramping. Since then I have not bled or had any cramping, I do have slightly brown discharge, however, a panty liner is an easy fix. I was extremely anxious before insertion from all the online horror stories but I have been loving it (fingers crossed). I know sometimes side effects take time to set in but I will update if anything changes. Plus it was completely covered by insurance so I did not spend a penny."

Ashley (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2019

For Birth Control "It’s the worst! The insertion hurt more than having both of my kids but the pain went away after about an hour. Then I had to go to the ER about 4 months later from horrible pain with no explanation. Now it’s been a year and a half and somehow my periods went from 1 week to 2-3. I didn’t gain weight but the irregularity and the nonstop spotting is terrible. I am getting it out!!"

Anna (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve been on oral birth control for 11 years, but started getting migraine with aura. I had my IUD inserted 1 week ago today. I took 2 Tylenol before my appointment but still felt a very sharp cramp during the process. My gyno had me lay down for 5 minutes to ensure I was ok. I was good until I stood up. I had a rush of dizziness and nausea. When I got to my car I laid down for a few minutes and I was good to drive. I didn’t start spotting til about an hr after the procedure (bring a panty liner with you just in case) and my cramps were awful. They were awful for the rest of the day, and the next few days I had waves of minor cramps but they weren’t bad enough to take Tylenol. I feel way better today, no cramps and I feel normal. So far I’ve only had bleeding the day of insertion. I do have to say it has been really nice not needing to take a pill everyday."

Anonymous April 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I've had my Kyleena for 1 month and I'm wondering why I didn't choose this sooner! I used birth control pills previous to having Kyleena and I was absolutely miserable. My estrogen levels were too low causing irregular bleeding, anxiety, depression, weight gain, etc. I needed a pill with a higher dose of estrogen, however, my doctor would not prescribe a higher dose pill due to my high blood pressure which was already being worsened by the low dose BCP I was taking. In fact, high blood pressure is the main reason my doctor encouraged me to switch to an IUD. One month in and I feel like a new woman! My anxiety and depression, while still a bit present, has improved significantly. My blood pressure has dropped to within a normal range. It's freeing to know that I no longer have to remember to take a pill at the same time everyday and I don't have to remember to pack my pills when I won't be at home. I'm acne prone and I feel my skin is clearer now than while on the pill."

Lucy08 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2019

For Birth Control "My insertion experience was awful. I'd been on the pill for 12 years and decided to make the switch to Kyleena thinking my side effects would be minimal having taken hormones for so many years. Boy was I wrong. My insertion took just over an hour and I felt like I was in labour the majority of the time. I was screaming and moaning uncontrollably it was so painful (actually quite embarrassing but I couldn't help it). I had to call in sick to work for the same day and the following 2 days because I was cramping and bleeding so heavily. The bleeding got worse about a week later and I ended up going to the hospital. The heavy bleeding persisted over about 3 weeks, coupled with major cramping that eventually dwindled down to no cramping at all. I'm now 6 weeks post-insertion and am finally feeling back to normal. I'm so happy this is good for 5 years because I will NOT be getting this again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2019

For Birth Control "The IUD has been a great experience for me so far, I made the mistake of reading reviews before the insertion which scared me but honestly it’s been great. When it comes to the pain of the insertion, yes I felt a cramp and two pinches but the whole thing took a total of two minutes... honestly two minutes. It wasn’t a horrible pain and it was definitely tolerable especially for the whole two minutes it takes. The after cramping was uncomfortable but taking some Advil and relaxing helped. It’s totally worth it. Would recommend to anyone and everyone."

Sammy (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my Kyleena in October of 2018, and it wasn't very painful to get put in at all. I think that aspect really depends on what you're like pain tolerance wise. I liked it a lot at first, I was able to have sex with my boyfriend and not worry about anything. I spotted a little bit for the first six weeks, mostly brown weird discharge that was kind of a turn off. That cleared up, but then I noticed I had started to gain weight and feel INCREDIBLY anxious ALL THE TIME. I didn't know this was a side affect. I struggled with it before, just a little bit, but not to the crippling point it is currently at. My libido also tanked and that defeats the whole purpose of even having it for me. I love the ease of knowing I'm not pregnant, but the insane mood swings and depression and anxiety are absolutely NOT worth it to me. I have an appointment to take it out 6 months after insertion and I am so excited for the light at the end of this anxiety tunnel."

RoseBud46 April 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I am a 23 and have never had a child. I tried Kyleena for five-six months. I will say, it does it’s job. I never had concerns about pregnancy. It gave my husband and I peace of mind. However, I discovered I was sensitive to the progesterone in the IUD. I gained 15 pounds without change to diet or lifestyle (I also never gain more than five pounds, so this was alarming), and I had terribly acne on my chin. I felt bloated all the time. Towards the beginning, I experienced cramping and irregular bleeding which passed with time. However, I still had pains when sitting in certain positions and exercising; it felt as though something was stuck in my body. Maybe this is because I hadn’t had kids? I don’t know. I had previously taken Junel Fe, and I had little to no symptoms. Overall, if you decide to go this route, pay attention to how you feel with it. Every person is different!"

Mixed Reviews (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I kept my Paragard (copper, nonhormonal IUD) inserted for just over a year. At first, I really liked it because it was a long-term non-hormonal birth control option. The side effects were AWFUL -- painful cramps that made me miss work, heavier periods than I've ever had, and pain/bleeding during sex. After the first year, I talked with my gyno about different IUD options, because I still liked the fact that I didn't have to think about my birth control for such a long time. She recommended Kyleena because it's tiny and just as effective as Paragard. It was a bit challenging to get my old IUD removed and this one inserted in the same visit, but the last 6 months with Kyleena have been amazing -- no cramping, lighter and more regular periods (I do have a few days of spotting before my period actually starts), and sex is fun again. I would definitely recommend Kyleena to anyone looking to switch from the pill to an IUD. Cheers to the next few unwanted-pregnancy-free years!"

IUDream April 1, 2019

For Birth Control "The insertion was not as awful as everyone makes out to be. It’s definitely uncomfortable and a strange experience but if you breath properly and half expect it it’s ok. I felt sick straight after but had already made the decision I was getting straight into bed so I slept it off for the full day. It definitely takes the full day to recover as you fell like you have a very bad period. I personally could kind of feel it inside for the first day. The first week I had barely any spotting and the second week was a bit heavier on certain days. However I already feel the benefit of being off the pill. So I am happy with my decision so far."

Girl March 31, 2019

For Birth Control "For context about my body type and activity level, I'm a college sprinter. I got the IUD about 8 months ago. I have pretty high pain tolerance typically, but the insertion was painful. It was quick though, so it wasn't awful. A few hours later though, I had the worst cramping I've ever felt in my life. My menstrual cramps without birth control are usually very bad, but these ones had me crying, sweating, and considering going to the hospital. After a few hours I felt alright. A few days later, I became constipated for like 4 days. HOWEVER, besides the initial experience, I love this IUD. It's amazing not to have to think about birth control and I have basically no side effects. Cons- Some increased anxiety Pros- Zero worries about pregnancy, lighter periods, less painful period cramps I also lost weight right after getting it inserted, but I don't know if this was related."

sw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2019

For Birth Control "Insertion experience (will update over time). I took 2 extra strength motrin 30 min before my insertion. Was not prescribed any other medication and my IUD was not inserted while I was on by period (I guess this varies by clinic). I have never been pregnant. I was expecting pain but just stayed completely relaxed and was pleasantly surprised that I hardly felt anything at all! Nothing more than the equivalent of a brief gas pain in my uterus and discomfort due to the speculum being in my vagina. I did notice that I was bleeding immediately after the procedure (due to period, not due to laceration), but my bleeding stopped completely after 3-4 hours. I had mild cramps for about 4 hours as well. Since then, it has been 4 days and I have not had any cramps or spotting/bleeding. I realize that it is too early to show any real effects, but I wanted to leave a positive review on here because I think that usually people with negative experiences are more inclined to comment."

Kelly (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had the kyleena for 3 months. The only reason I gave it anything but a one is because I haven’t become pregnant. However, since insertion my sex drive is so unusually low- so that has lowered my sexual activity anyway. (Maybe that’s the point, less chance of getting pregnant if you hardly ever do it)). I have acne, which I never had. I’ve has two UTIs. Sex is very painful for me and orgasms are not what they were before kyleena. I have gained weight. And finally I have become severely depressed. No major life changes have occurred and my relationship is doing very well. Luckily my guy is super understanding. I understand it doesn’t mean it will be this way for everyone.. but I’m very sensitive to hormones, so if you have a sensitive body, something to think about. I can not wait until my appointment for it’s removal."

Shelb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2019

For Birth Control "hello readers, I hope this is helpful! I am 20 years old and got my IUD placed in July 2018. The insertion was quick and felt like quick cramp. from a scale from 1-10, it hurt like a 3. HOWEVER, the following hours after and the next couple of days are horrible. Probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I didn’t work for 2 days, and laid in bed mostly. I’ve been on the Kyleena for about 8 months and I am getting it removed this Friday. While I’ve been on it, I gained 20 lbs. Before the IUD, I was very good with maintaining my weight Bur now I feel bloated after almost every meal. The only good things about it was it prevents pregnancy and minimizes my periods. I would not recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2019

For Birth Control "Just had my IUD inserted today. The initial insertion wasn’t that bad. Kinda did hurt but I just kept saying “Cramp crampp!!!”. My gyno actually was giving me lidocaine without me asking which was cool. So when the actual IUD went in, I didn’t feel a thing. Afterwards, I was able to drive myself home, didn’t feel anything. I did bleed a little bit after. The advil worked then started cramping slightly but I took something for it and I feel absolutely nothing. NOTHING. No cramps or pain. I’ll update in a few months but so far it’s a breeze. Everyone is different, experience for yourself. Mine was a positive experience. "

Kelly March 23, 2019

For Birth Control "20, no kids. 4 months in & I ♡ my IUD. Insertion took about 15 min & was uncomfortable, but no worse than pap smear. The only thing that hurt was when OB injected numbing agent. I went back to work afterwards. About 30 min later I felt bloating but didn't need tylenol. The bloating stopped after ~4 days, all of which I worked/went to gym just fine. I spotted for 2 months. The 1st period I had was late & crampy, 2nd I almost didn't notice. Months 3 & 4, no spotting/periods/cramping. Dream come true. My OB tucked the string up around my uterus so partners can't feel it. Even I have to search to find it, softened now by mucous. I bled after sex @first, but now I can have intercourse with out bleeding. It didn't harm my libido/cause weight gain. Now that my periods stopped, there's virtually no acne/depression which I usually had on period. You aren't going to know how your body reacts until you try."

ArmyandLeggy March 22, 2019

For Birth Control "I'm 22 and I've had the Kyleena for almost 5 months now, and in general I've been pretty happy with it. The insertion was painful, probably a 6 out of 10 but very brief. I did take 800mg of ibuprofen about an hour before hand on my doctor's recommendation which I'm sure helped a bit. I had some cramping and bleeding over the next few days, but nothing very significant. In the following weeks I kept waiting to get my period but it never came. The doctor says it's completely normal, and although it might change further down the line it's also possible I won't get any periods for as long as I have it in. For a few months I had a fair amount of hormonal acne on my chin. I've been lucky to have fairly clear skin most of my life, and I'm very religious about my skincare routine so the painful under skin bumps I was getting were really frustrating. They seem to be clearing up now (fingers crossed), and the peace of mind Kyleena has brought me has been worth it over all."

BestCoast March 22, 2019

For Birth Control "The procedure was super easy, quick, and essentially painless. It took about 5 minutes and they were able to guide putting it in by ultrasound. There's a little bit of pressure, but really no pain. I cramped for about two days after and it felt like a normal period pain. I've always had long periods with cramps and that's what it felt like. Other than that, I felt fine the day of. I was able to drive myself to and from my appointment. Since then, the only side effects I've had is spotting, which is an inconvenience, and maybe a little bit of bloating. Overall, I'm very happy with it."

kay_kay (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

For Birth Control "I got my first ever Kyleena inserted 03-20-19. The insertion process, for me, was pretty intense. They first measure your uterus which was light cramping and then insert the IUD which was quite painful for me. I don't usually suffer from cramps at all during my periods so I wasn't sure what to expect as far as the cramps that I would experience through this process. I would rate the pain 8/10 but it was literally over in less than a minute; I don't even remember today what that pain felt like, it was over so fast. After the insertion I was a little uncomfortable but by the end of the day I was back at 100%. Honestly I think it's worth less of a minute of pain for 5 years of piece of mind (no pills to remember to take every day. Don't need to worry about the prescriptions every month either). I've extremely content with this product"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the Kyleena inserted in December 2017. I previously had Depo for 8 years, and the pill previously before that. The insertion was not pleasant for me. I had the horrible cramping and was sweaty and felt like I was going to pass out. After that passed, it was okay. I was glad I had the rest of the day off from work to relax. For about a month and half I felt like I was sore all the time down there. I was checked twice and said everything was fine, so that was kind of strange. Other cons that I experience: anxiety (never had that before), I've gained about 20 lbs, bad headaches, sex drive is super low (that wasn't a issue before the IUD), itchy and dry down there, random cramping, light spotting and breast tenderness. First time I had breast tenderness, I freaked out because I thought I was pregnant. Cons: it is effective birth control, and much lighter periods. Every woman is different!"

Lala2408 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2019

For Birth Control "I have only had the kyleena for a month almost 2. The insertion was horrible, it felt like my insides were being pinched and twisted for 5 mins and I cried. I haven’t done anything sexually with someone so can’t say if it’s effective but ever since I’ve had it I’ve been on my period and it sucks. I have to wear panty liners because I never know how it’s gonna be. One day it’s spotting like it’s the end of a period and then the next it’s full on red blood and then the next I don’t bleed, it’s really annoying because even if I did wanna have sex I wouldn’t because I don't want to have sex if I'm on my period."

Anonymous March 21, 2019

For Birth Control "So, I had Kyleena inserted one month after my last son was born. I knew I wanted an IUD & with Kyleena having a low dose of hormones it seemed like the best option. The first 7 months it seemed like I was spotting constantly & still getting my regular period once a month. After 7 months the spotting stopped but then came the acne. I started breaking out with painful huge cystic acne & other small bumps all over my face especially my chin, jaw line & forehead. It was awful. I decided to see a dermatologist & speak with my Gyno, both said it was most likely due to my IUD. I got Kyleena removed & immediately felt 1000% better! My mood was better, I wasn’t hungry 24/7 & my face was clear 3-5 days later. It’s not for everyone! But I really wanted it to work for me so bad."

Barb (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2019