User Reviews for Kyleena

Birth Control
7.5

Summary of Kyleena reviews 7.5 548 reviews

Reviews for Kyleena

For Birth Control "I'm 49 and have had 2 sons (now adults) by c-section and had a tubaligation 18 yrs ago. I got the Kyleena for the purpose of hormonal issues. I got my insertion on July 10th. The was very scary. I took ibuprofen and Tylenol before the procedure but I still felt the cramps. There were 3 all together and they got stronger as we went along. My doctor suggested a muscle relaxer afterwards and that really helped that day and the day after. I did have some spotting and cramps for about 72 hours. Now I have bloating and gas, some acne breakouts and leg cramps. But no more camping thus far. I hopeful everything will even out as the days go by."

PT (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I had very irregular bleeding prior to getting Kyleena. I had the insertion in Feb 2017, which was very painful for me after a failed attempt one month prior. Apparently I have a smaller than average cervix. They had to use an ultrasound machine to guide the IUD in. I passed out and vomited from the sudden intense pain, but it only lasted for a few moments then bad cramps for about 15 minutes. For the next 6 months I had minimal cramping but almost constant bleeding. It was like a normal period with a week of spotting-light bleeding before and after my period with only a few days of no bleeding between them. It took about 9-10 months but now I have regular flow periods exactly 28 days apart with very mild cramping. The insertion and first several months of Kyleena were tough but now I get to enjoy regular periods and easy birth control for 3.5 more years. Definitely worth it, especially because most women are not going to have nearly the trouble I did and I’m still a fan."

Murray (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I chose Kyleena because it was smaller/less hormones than Mirena, but lasted longer than Jaydess(Skyla). The insertion was pretty painful, but only for about 20 seconds. Cramped up for about half an hour afterwards, but then I could ride my bicycle home no problem. I was unlucky and had bad cramps every day for about a month, not just normal period cramps, I mean bad enough to need to carry around a hot water bottle and stop what Iwas doing. A month later, the cramps just stopped. Now I only get mild ones a few days before my period. One downside was that my boobs shrank down a cup size, but I also lost weight - not bad. On the plus side, my mental health is WAY better. No more depressed/hopeless moods for no reason like I had on the pill. Also the 'strings' (more like fishing wire) tucked up around my cervix straight away and my bf can't feel them. Overall I love my kyleena and not having to stress over taking the pill every day. Totally worth the discomfort in the beginning."

LJ July 14, 2018

For Birth Control "My 16 yr old daughter got pregnant 3 Mo the after getting Kyleena. It was in perfect position. I’m not mad, I’m a grandma!! At 36!!"

Early grandmother (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2018

For Birth Control "Just last month, I just had gotten over a really bad case of the stomach flu. I just had orthodontic braces inserted so I was barely eating already. My period came 5 days late (probably because I was severely sick). I thought “great now I need my IUD inserted”; the nurse wanted to make sure I wasn’t pregnant (the stomach flu did scare me to think I was at first)... crazy me got the IUD 2 days after I had just started to feel better. It was sooo painful immediately after I stood up from the clinic bed. Maybe it was because I was already weak... the cramps were so unbearable my bf thought I was dying. The cramps lasted for 2 days before getting slightly better. I just got my first period after the insertion and my cramps are still just as bad. I’ve taken 800mg ibuprofen and that didn’t help at all. Then I tried vidocin which also didn’t help. I really hope these cramps go away soon because I enjoy having unprotected sex with my partner. So glad I got it"

Xoxo July 12, 2018

For Birth Control "The first 2 to 3 months there was a lot of dark brown discharge. So much I was beginning to get irritated because it was like a never ending period. But, my doctor gave me some antibiotics to stop the discharge. Also, I would feel some mild pain in my ovaries. The pain was more prominent the 1st 2 months and has since went away. I love Kyleena now. There was no weight gain. I have light periods and I don't have to remember any birth control. I would definitely recommend"

JSO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I got Kyleena inserted yesterday so my review is just based on insertion and the day after. I will probably come back and review after I've had it 6 months to a year. Insertion wasn't as bad as I expected. I am a 21 year old and I've never had children. I took two extra strength tylenol about 30 minutes before my appointment. The most painful part was when she dilated my cervix, it felt like two strong cramps but that was the worst of it. During the actual insertion it just felt like some pressure. Afterwards I was fine for about 10 minutes and then during the drive home I had some pretty intense cramping and lower back pain. I also had some light spotting. It's been over 24 hours since insertion and my cramps started off pretty mild. They got a little more painful during the day but were very manageable. The cramps eventually went back to being mild and I haven't had any spotting today. So far, it's been a lot better experience than what I've read online."

Lita July 10, 2018

For Birth Control "Inserted 7/5 @ 3 pm on day 2 of period. No kids, on pill for 12+ yrs. Took 4 Advil before appt. Light flow, noticeably heavier after insertion. Insertion was VERY uncomfortable, but not unbearable. Worst part was opening the cervix but it took <5 minutes. Had cold sweats and felt lightheaded for a few minutes after. Brought my husband to drive home and I'm so glad I did! Experienced cramping right away which escalated to the level of intense menstrual cramps. Advil every 4 hours and used a heating pad. Day 1, a dull ache with some waves of stronger cramps and light spotting. Advil every 4-5 hours. Day 2, cramps and spotting were virtually gone. Advil every 8-10 hours. Still feel light aches and very minor cramps w/very light spotting. Something I didn't know before deciding on an IUD, the doc will advise no tampons for 3 days and ~1 week to become fully effective. So far, I'm happy with my decision to switch! Will update again when I've had it a little longer!"

Equus06 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 20, got the kyleena in this January as I was tired of taking a pill everyday at the same time. Insertion wasn’t bad at all. A slight pinch feeling while measuring the cervix but no pain during actual insertion. Everything was great for a while and my period disappeared completely. 6 months later and I’ve gained 10 pounds and my acne has been the worst it’s been in my life. I’m getting mine removed as soon as I can."

Essy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I am a 19 year old, non-mother, in a long term relationship. I received this birth control on June 29, 2018. The procedure though efficient was very painful. It lasted for about 5 minutes but it was enough to take my breath away from the cramps... The following night I had the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. I was not warned about this so it took me by surprise I figured I would be cramping BUT nothing like this. If I knew what contractions felt like then that would be how I’d describe the pain. It was immobilizing and came in waves of extreme pain and then my uterus would relax. I have above average pain tolerance plus I have a heavy flow/ painful periods typically so I know what painful cramps are like. It is July 8th and I am still experience intolerable cramps. I take a lot of Tylenol back to back and that is what it took to take the edge off the pain. Side note: be careful when having intercourse I gave it a try and the string stabbed/cut my boyfriend."

athomp525 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2018

For Birth Control "This comment is purely about the insertion and few days afterwards. Unfortunately my doctor did not have any openings in her schedule so she had to place the IUD right after my period. Because of the time in my cycle and because I’ve never had children, my cervix was tight and she had to go in three times to place the IUD. The procedure was uncomfortable but certainly not unbearable, and I experienced two major cramps which then subsided in a few minutes. I wasn’t lightheaded or nauseous following the procedure, but I was crampy and had spotty bleeding for several days afterwards. So far so good. Take ibuprofen, hydrate, and eat a good meal before hand, and try to relax through it."

nataliee (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I had 7 children previously. Insertion was painless and easy. I can imagine, though, if one never had a child, it would be painful, probably, as that's what the Dr. indicated. IUD's do cause me to have horrible acne...no way around it sadly. But they work well. Only use with condoms though. No method is 100 percent and you don't want to risk a baby's life with an IUD in."

mom July 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the Kyleena IUD 3 days ago and it honestly was not as bad as so many of these reviews made it out to be. I wouldn't consider myself to have a high pain tolerance, and I felt like it was essentially what everyone says - a decent amount of pressure and two intense period cramps that each last for like maybe 10 seconds each (if that). It went by super quickly! I almost cancelled my appointment because I was so nervous, but I'm so glad I didn't. All BCP that I've tried have either given me depression or made me super anxious/angry all the time so I'm hopeful that this won't happen with Kyleena. As far as recovery goes, I'd say the first day I just felt like I had a bad period, the second day I got a lot better, but still felt crampy, and now I just have this full/bloated feeling with super mild cramps. I will update this post as time goes on!"

Mandy July 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Out of all the positive reviews on here, I greatly underestimated the pain of Kyleena. The procedure itself is painful at certain points like the measuring of the cervix, uterus, and the insertion. But the extreme cramping started after I got home. Like writhing in pain, I could not lay still and was crying from the pain. I had taken ibuprofen an hour before as recommended but that did nothing. We are a week out and I still get random “contractions” that take my breath away for about 30 seconds to a minute throughout the day. Some days are better than others, but overall I would not recommend if you haven’t had kids. They did not give me medication to dilate or numb at all like others have reviewed. I only got this because depo made me gain 40 pounds in 6 months, so if this doesn’t make the pounds drop I’ll have it taken out."

Ella (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Had Kyleena inserted about 8 hours ago. For reference, I’m 19, in a long term relationship, never been pregnant or on birth control. I brought my mom with me for support (highly recommend!!). As for the insertion the pain was WAAAY less than expected. Granted I am on my period, was given numbing cream and had an ultrasound done to ensure the IUD was placed properly. I would say it wasn’t painful, just felt like one dull cramp. I had never had a Pap smear so the speculum was the worst part for me. After insertion, I rested on the clinic recovery beds for 15 minutes before heading out. I managed to go shopping, get lunch, and do errands for about 3 hours after before the cramps came. I‘m up to 7 Advil today and now back at home in bed the cramps are slowly subsiding. I won’t lie, they are the worst cramps I’ve ever experienced but overall, I‘m optimistic and can’t wait to be back rock climbing, hiking, and hitting the gym."

Vicki from Vancouver (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had the kyleena for about two months now , I got it because my nurses recommended it over the mirena , the first two weeks or so was perfect. I spotted the first 3 days after that it was normal sex was perfect, then my first period came and every since I haven’t stopped bleeding. Some days it’s light some days I have to convert from a panty liner to a pad . I hate it . I’m trying to stick it out but my husband isn’t too fond of the blood lol . So I’m creeping on to month 3 with still bleeding . Idk what to do but I’m hoping it’ll stop soon cause it’s uncomfortable. "

Paige (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2018

For Birth Control "Today I just received my Kyleena IUD placement. The biggest thing I wish to share is you should find someone experienced!!! I can not say that enough. I am a 22 year old female and last year I had my first pap by a general doctor it hurt so bad and I bled for 3 days afterward. This time I went to a nurse practitioner who had placed over 1,000 and was very knowledgeable. She not only guided me to kyleena versus other forms of IUD’s by explaining the differences in them. She also was quick and very gentle. The process of getting them in is you take medication to dilate your cervix, you also do the placement during your period. Once there they open everything up spray a topical numbing agent and then measure and place. It didn’t take long and it was crampy and hurt a little during placement it subsided in a minute. She warned me before each part and it went very well. So far I am just a little crampy today but not in a lot of pain and I don’t even feel it."

Court July 3, 2018

For Birth Control "Insertion of Kyleena was painful- two distinct moments of pain followed by dizziness, faint, and vomiting. I was really faint all day and had to take the day off to rest and felt mild cramps for the next couple days. Was back at work the next day. It's been about a month now, and I've had some spotting, but am back to exercising and doing my regular routine. Overall, really positive experience."

firstIUD (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the Kyleena exactly 1 week ago. I was scared because I started watching YouTube videos. I was told I will only be in the worst pain during the insertion (by the way I’m 21) once I got there my doctor was so nice and talked me through it and was there for me when he started it wasn’t really much pain but then the worst pain of my life hit me. They kept telling me to breath in and out I started crying it was horrible it felt like the longest 1 min of my life. When done I was okay and I even drove myself home but when I started walking to my driveway that’s when everything hit me. I couldn’t walk I had the worst cramps and then I had to go to work. After that day I was fine for the rest of the week No bleeding no cramping nothing I had little spotting but that’s it. I even had sexual intercourse with my man and he said he can feel the string. But it was fine. I got my period again yesterday and it wasn’t a good feeling . Cramps are back and I’m bleeding so much pain ."

Yaya July 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had Kyleena for over a year now. For the first 6 months, saw a lighter and more regular period but more spotting in between. Minor cramps that lasted about 9 months. At this point, I no longer have to worry about spotting and cramping regularly. The only complaint I have is that I spot during and after sex, which was never an issue beforehand. Otherwise, I am happy that I don't have to worry about taking a pill or using protection."

Anonymous July 3, 2018

For Birth Control "Thought I'd share my experience on the Kyleena. I've had it inserted last Thursday so I can only talk about the insertion and the couple days after. The insertion was not as painful as I expected it to be. The Kyleena was placed during my menstruation. Beforehand I took 2 ibuprofen and that worked perfectly fine. I was told I would feel 3 pains / cramps and I only felt them for a few seconds. The insertion took around 5 minutes and with a few deep breaths it was very bearable. Don't be scared about it. Every body reacts differently but don't be too nervous. After insertion I felt fine. I drove home by myself. That evening I felt little cramping but decided not to take painkillers as it was bearable. I wasn't sure if the cramping was from the Kyleena or from menstruation. Now 2 days after I still feel fine, the cramping is gone, my menstruation is almost gone. I am happy with the Kyleena so far. I'm very curious to see how my body reacts the coming weeks."

C June 30, 2018

For Birth Control "Kyleena worked perfectly at preventing pregnancy and virtually got rid of my periods. However, I got horrible acne and cystic acne all over my body. Within three months it was full blown all over my body. I waited it out over a year but it never got better. Within two weeks of getting Kyleena removed everything is fading and I have yet to have a new breakout."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2018

For Birth Control "This is a review about insertion only! I've read so many negative experiences about insertion, so I wanted to share my positive one. I am 19, have never had children, and went in when I was NOT on my period. I took ibuprofen beforehand, but I was still so nervous. I was really expecting something horrible, but it was virtually painless for me! There was a slight cramping sensation that to me felt like a normal period cramp, and it was over in less than 10 seconds. I know everyone is different, but I thought I'd let everyone know that it is possible to have a positive experience and it's worth it to give it a try."

Linds (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Kyleena inserted almost three weeks ago! Yes, putting it in is painful but it only lasted maybe 7ish minutes. And that’s better than being in labor which lasts longer! I had slight cramping day of and have been spotting here and there! But other than that it doesn’t bother me. I initially went in to get the Paraguard, then got talked out of it because of all the side effects. And I’m SO glad I did! Everyone’s body is different!"

Aly220 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I had kyleena inserted one week ago. Never given birth, was taking oral birth control before. The insertion was EXTREMELY painful. Laid on the table for 40 minutes shaking, sweating, feeling nauseous and faint while having extremely painful cramps. I had bad cramps before but not to this extent. The day after was still having pretty painful cramps taking 800mg of ibuprofen EVERY 4-6 hours. Only mild cramping 2-3 days after. Now I’m starting my period and the awful cramps are back. Hoping after my period the cramps subside if not I don’t think I can handle this. May visit the dr sooner than 4 week check up if the cramps continue to be debilitating. This sounds like a horror story because it is but this is just my experience only one week in."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2018