User Reviews for Kyleena

Birth Control
6.7

Reviews for Kyleena

Ejbradshaw June 13, 2021

For Birth Control: “The first year I had it it was great. The insertion wasn’t terrible for me, I had some pretty intense cramping afterwards. But now it’s rare I have a month where I don’t have intense, and painful cramps. Unfortunately at the year mark I suspect it may be displaced. Thankfully it hasn’t resulted in a pregnancy, but every few days the strings go from being very long, or short. The reason I got this birth control is because I was about to lose access to my moms health insurance and was hoping this would be a good option because I had 5 years to get a better job and health insurance. Now it looks like a lot of my money is going to have to go towards an exam, possible removal, and trying to find a new birth control. This is great at preventing pregnancy, but if you don’t have health insurance, or are about to lose it I wouldn’t suggest getting it because should you be apart of the apparent “low percent of expulsion/displacement” it very well could be very bad for your bank account.”

iWard92 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 10, 2021

For Birth Control: “So I had this birth control put in last August after my Skyla expired! A few months into it I started experiencing ridiculous amounts of panic attacks and low energy and horrible mood swings daily! I chalked it up to my mental health and got put back on my mood stabilizers thinking it was that causing this! Boy was I wrong it only made it worse to the point of not being able to function much at all always dizzy and foggy feeling an insane amount of weight gain that I couldn’t get off and physically feeling like I was having a heart attack almost daily. It got so bad I ended up at medstop and urgent care only to be sent home being told it’s just anxiety and I need to basically accept it and deal with it. I finally made the arrangements to have my BC removed because none of this started till a bit after I got the Kyleena put in. Sure enough a few days later now I feel almost a thousand times better!!!!”

Crai · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2021

For Birth Control: “Kyleena is an amazing birth control method only a hassle once every 5 years. Also the ease of not having to take a pill every morning or replace a patch every month is really great. Insertion of the IUD was about 5-7 minutes total. Everyone’s pain and experience is different but my pain rating of the insertion was a 2-3/10. I had no cramping after insertion and was able to get up right away. It has not caused me any problems thus far. I have noticed lighter periods.”

Cocochannell · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

For Birth Control: “Soo I first I want to start off saying that the worst thing you can possibly do is read medical reviews.... YES we all do it but it is a terrible decision. I got my Kyleena IUD placed on January 15th , the night before I read numerous reviews and almost backed out. I was so scared of the daunting reviews. BUT I still went to my appointment. I can say that getting the IUD implanted was painful and slightly uncomfortable , BUT manageable. Since getting it I had little to no spotting for three days. I also had cramps for about four consecutive days BUT the cramps can last longer, mine are off and on periodically. I also have slight acne but nothing crazy. Overall I am having a great experience so far I will definitely keep up with writing reviews because I do believe that the only people who take the time out to write reviews are the people who are unhappy with the Kyleena but I can attest that the Kyleena was the best decision I could’ve made ! I recommend!”

Anonymous January 30, 2021

“Kyleena is the BEST THING I EVER DID!! There are a ton of bad reviews but don’t let them scare you. I was on the pill for three years but they made me depressed, I gained weight, I’d get migraines, they made my acne worse AND my periods were TERRIBLE!! When I’d get my period before I had Kyleena, I would bleed for 7-10 days and it would be excruciating for the first 4 days. I wouldn’t be able to even move! So I switched to Kyleena. The migraines went away, after the first month, my skin cleared up, I lost weight, my mood was better and my first period was miraculous. I literally was only in pain for an hour. Period lasted about three days, was super light, and the weirdest part is is that even though I was still bleeding, THERE WAS NO PAIN!!! The procedure hurt a little but not quite as bad as I expected. I was not lightheaded, I felt totally fine, and the light cramps only lasted about a week. I’m so thrilled I finally found the perfect birth control. Sex is also wayyy better!”

Melody April 8, 2021

For Birth Control: “I had my IUD for 1 year and 9 months. The good part is I did not get my period much but of course I panic cause I always think I’m pregnant lol. Anyways, while using kyleena... my mood swings were crazy. I was super mean to my husband, I had severe depression and anxiety and acne . I gained so much weight with it and ITS SO HARD TO LOOSE WEIGHT WITH KYLEENA. Also vaginal dryness was awful, I constantly had yeast infection, tears, lost so much hair... and my sex drive decreased. Overall, I did not like it, I got it removed today I just couldn’t handle it anymore.”

Danee May 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I want to point out that people are more likely to leave a review if they had a negative experience so if it seems like the amount bad reviews are overwhelming, this is why. I’ve only had the Kyleena for a couple of weeks but I can say that it has been a BREEZE. I was so nervous about getting it because of the pain horror stories; My doc prescribed low dose Xanax and some misoprostol. I took half of a Xanax and some ibuprofen before my visit and I’d say on a pain scale 4/10. Very bearable. Cramped hard for 30 seconds, then mildly for about 4 hours intermittently after I got home. These cramps were so mild it was almost not noticeable. That’s it. The only thing I have noticed is that I get mild dizzy spells here and there but a) it’s a normal side effect that is extremely bearable b) it will wear off in time and c) it beats out of most birth control side effects or, ya know, children. If you’re on the fence at least give it a try- it might be perfect for you”

yay June 26, 2020

For Birth Control: “So naturally, I read so many of these reviews before getting the Kyleena inserted. I was so nervous about the pain. My gyn prescribed me Cytotec (uterus softener) to take earlier that day with Ibuprofen. I want to put a positive review in here and say insert went AMAZING. After reading these reviews I thought it would feel like a dagger! Instead, and I don't know if I should attribute this to the medicine or my amazing gyn, but it felt like a cramp, which lasted for 1 sec. I didn't believe her at first when she said she put it in because I was expecting the worst. A few mild cramps spaced out through the day afterwards (a side effect of the medicine as well), no bleeding yet. I will update once I've been on it longer but I am STOKED. I am sorry for those who experienced bad insert/side effects, but if you really want to get this IUD don't put it off due to the negative reviews. And maybe ask your gyn about Cytotec. See for yourself, everyone is different. You can always take it out :)”

bea99 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 3, 2021

For Birth Control: “I had the Kyleena inserted 2.5 years ago, after taking birth control and suffering from hormonal mood swings. Like others have mentioned, I was told by my gyno that since the hormones were released into my uterus, this wouldn't be a worry. The insert wasn't too bad honestly, but the rest hasn't been great. Best pro -- my period disappeared after about a month of spotting and never came back. That being said, I have always been a confident girl, etc., and I have had panic attacks and extreme anxiety for the first time in my life. Also, non-stop cystic acne along my chin and my forehead. I kept telling myself the non-period and protection was worth it, but after doing more research I can't handle this anymore. I just regret the years I spent not being myself with this birth control. If you have any history of mood swings or acne with previous birth controls, I would seriously reconsider this investment. I'm having mine taken out in the next few days.”

Mia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 20, 2020

For Birth Control: “Okay I’ve never written a review but I wanted to so I could maybe help someone out. I was on the pill for 3 years before I got my IUD. It honestly just seemed easier to go on the IUD so I didn’t have to take a pill everyday. I’ve had my IUD for 8 months and it is the worst thing. I got such bad acne. Reminds me of when I was in high school. It was extremely painful acne as well. I have also gained SO MUCH weight for literally no reason. I have the exact same diet that I did before. I get such bad cramps now and I never usually got cramps. I also have extreme back pain that is some times unbearable. I get moody and lightheaded all the time. It also amps my anxiety for sure. I’m getting it out in a week and I’m so excited. I want to go back on the pill.”

Tay November 12, 2020

For Birth Control: “Insertion of Kyleena is extremely painful and honestly inhumane. I learned in other countries the insertion is completely different. In the U.S you are not given pain medicine to take before or a cervix softener. During insertion I screamed in pain and felt like I was going to throw up and pass out. They had me wait about 30 minutes after the insertion to leave. I definitely was not okay to drive home. Ladies doctors really underestimate the pain with insertion. Do your research and advocate for yourself if you plan to get an IUD. I don’t want anyone to go through what I did.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have just recently gotten Kyleena, the insertion was pretty painful and I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I was told ahead of time that its okay that it is going to feel like a cramp at first, after the insertion they sat me up and told me to sit for a minute before getting up and changing but right after they walked out I had passed out onto the floor face first. After I came to I got back on the table and it took me about 3 min to be able to speak, my body was in so much shock and finally called for help they came and then when they came in I threw up and that is very uncommon for me. I wasn't safe driving home so I had to call for a ride. The rest of that day I had the worst cramps in my life. As the days go on the cramps are still there and hurt. (your heat pad will become your best friend) Now I'm just trying to wait it out and see if it gets better but I am thinking about taking it out. I just wanted to put my story and experience out there to show my side effects to Kyleena.”

LilBill October 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got my Kyleena IUD in Sept 2017 when I was 18. The insertion sucked, I did stay at the doctor's for nearly a half-hour because I was going to faint. I was menstruating when I got it inserted, I'm not sure if that made a difference. The periods for the first six months were regular, but heavy. Then starting 6 months after I got the IUD I experienced regular but light periods . With the IUD I have had very little cramping when before my cramps would keep me home from school or work. After I had my IUD for about 2 years, my periods have completely gone away. I have been having unprotected sex (same partner) for two years and I have never had a pregnancy scare. My boyfriend has felt the strings but it doesn't bother him nor me. Since getting the IUD I have gained weight, but I know its not from Kyleena. I have the same acne as I did before I got it. I plan to have my IUD removed in July 2021 and I am dreading the removal.”

Rae · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I chose Kyleena because I wanted an extremely effective, low maintenance, long-lasting, and hormone-low form of birth control. So far my experience has been incredible. While the insertion was uncomfortable, I took ample pain meds and drank plenty of water, which really helped. The only pain I have experienced is abnormal and unpredictable cramping and some headaches. I have barely bled but their has been a lot of discharge. I have not gotten any acne-the hormones have seemed to help me skin! I have had some bloating but nothing too extreme. I gained maybe a pound, if any weight at all. Neither my partner or myself have felt the IUD during sex. I am still experiencing a very very light period. Overall I am very happy with my choice and encourage anyone who is considering Kyleena, to get it.”

Kate · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2019

For Birth Control: “Wish I had done it sooner!!! I was one of those anti-iud people to the core before going on Kyleena. I had just heard way too many horror stories and was way too nervous about possible side effects to get one. After my last birth control stopped working for me I finally made the IUD plunge and boy do I wish I had done it years ago! My biggest fears were weight gain (I’ve since lost weight) and hormonal acne (little to none). The only side effect I really had was spotting for about a month after getting it in place. I’ve since stopped getting my period all together and can’t be happier. The insertion was not bad at all! I just wanted to post this because I know there are so many scary reviews, but I’m here to say that most people who are happy with it aren’t reviewing it! It’s been great to me and everyone else I know who is on it!”

T Grace · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “Had my Kyleena inserted a year and 2 months ago. Was it painful to insert? Honestly, yes. I had bad cramps for 48 hours after, but my doctor was great and filled a very small T3 prescription for me which was great! I had on and off spotting for the first 3 months, and then no period for 10 months. I just had my period, and no cramps at all. I got Kyleena because I used to have 9 day, heavy bleeding periods, so this has been amazing for me. 10/10 worth the pain during the insertion and adjustment period. I did have 2 months of pretty bad hormonal acne around my jaw which was new for me, but I was also having a rough time then (lol thanks covid). Overall I highly recommend it, and have had zero pregnancy scares even though my partner and I have unprotected sex every time.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

For Birth Control: “Overall this has been amazing!! I had so many negative side effects from birth control such as mood swings, no sex drive at all I went from being a very sexual person to never wanting to have sex, insomnia, and I would uncontrollably cry before my periods. Since switching to the Kyleena I have returned to normal and feel like myself again finally! I have had no negative effects besides some random mild cramping...truly just feels like period cramps! The insertion was not horribly painful and I have a low pain tolerance. It was 3 minutes of pain for 5 years definitely worth it in my mind! If you're considering switching to a Kyleena IUD don't let other peoples experiences on here discourage you it works differently for everyone and was the best decision I ever made for me!”

P. Griffin · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on Kyleena now for a year after being on Depo Provera for 5 years. I have extremely painful periods and I stayed on Depo because I was scared of the pain coming back (despite my horrible depression, weight gain, and acne). I made the switch to this IUD and the only bad experience so far was insertion. My doctor suggested prescribing a pain reliever for before the appointment, but I was dumb and didn’t accept it. Ask your doctor for pain pills for that first couple days, and enjoy your pain free uterus! I also have lost almost 20 lbs of Depo Provera weight as well! Not every experience is negative.”

Anonymous December 16, 2020

For Birth Control: “OK pls IGNORE all the horror stories out there! Compared to the people who post negative experiences, there are like no people who have positive experiences that post their review here! Yes all these negative side effects are possible and a painful insertion is possible, but it really depends on the person! A lot of people have other underlying conditions that might make the insertion more painful or might make the symptoms worse. I just got the Kyleena today, it was literally 10 seconds of tight menstrual cramping and then it was over! Now at the end of the day, it's just mild cramping that is solved by laying in bed w a heat pack and advil. PLS if you are having trouble with other forms of birth control and think this might be a good choice for you, go for it! You won't know how it goes until you try it and for majority of people it will be just fine. Find yourself a doctor that does this regularly and you will be just fine.”

Car · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

For Birth Control: “The insertion didn’t hurt much, just a few cramps that my gyno warned me about in advance. However, my body went into shock afterwards and passed out and wasn’t even able to drive myself home. It’s been 3 months since I started Kyleena and I have already gained 10lbs with no change in my diet. I have extreme mood swings and get a very short temper most days when I have always been a very forgiving person. My bloating is constant and I’m always uncomfortable. I’ve never had a problem with acne before this but now I constantly break out around my chin. My sex drive is lower than when on the pill, which could be from my self consciousness because of the weight gain and bloating. I don’t recommend this to anyone and I’m counting down the days to get this removed.”

Priscilla March 7, 2021

For Birth Control: “PLEASE DO RESEARCH BEFORE GETTING THE KYLEENA IUD :( Getting this thing in is one of my biggest regrets! First off it hurt SO BAD to get in... After insertion I bled for almost 60 days straight!!!!! It was medium to light spotting EVERY SINGLE DAY! If that was not enough.... I developed an ovarian cyst! Sometimes the pain would be so bad I would just cry.... THEN I started going through - and still am going through till I get it removed- major insomnia, mood swings and even depression. Oh also not to mention I get constant yeast infections because of the IUD and it constantly smells like fish in (BV). Don’t forget the cystic acne either! Oh and one more thing... the strings were cut to short so they went back into my uterus and now I have to get surgery to get it removed :) so thank you Kyleena for giving me depression, mood swings, cystic acne, an ovarian cyst, insomnia, constant bleeding for 60 days, and lost strings that now have to be surgically removed.”

naxenthe · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “Day 1 of Kyleena, had it inserted yesterday. Just wanted to share my insertion experience since some of these reviews are terrifying. I'm not going to sugarcoat it - insertion was not fun. I experienced a minor cramp when they stabilized my cervix and three major cramps when they measured my uterus, pushed in the inserter, and released the IUD. To me, the pain felt very similar to menstrual cramps, but deeper and more internal. I did end up having a vasovagal response and passed out, but took time to restabilize and was able to walk out 15 minutes after insertion. I have never had children and took 800mg of ibuprofen beforehand. So insertion was not a fun time. I'm not going to sugarcoat or avoid that. It hurts. However, was it the worst pain I've ever felt in my life? No. Did it feel like my body was being sawed in half? No. If you're on the fence about it, I recommend trying it. It's not an absolute horror show for everybody. You can do it! I believe in you!”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 22, 2019

For Birth Control: “I got the Kyleena inserted in August of 2019 because I wanting to get off of the pill. My insertion process was really smooth, and was definitely not as bad as everyone says. After I got Kyleena inserted, I started having severe anxiety which is something I had never experienced before. I was experiencing daily panic attacks, constant anxiety about nothing, and felt as if I was going crazy. I originally thought it was my hormones just levelling out, but it never went away. I had the IUD removed about 9 days ago, and feel SO MUCH BETTER and almost back to my old self. Doctors say it isn't a side effect, but it seems to be more and more common. If you are experiencing the same thing, just know you aren't alone!”

JR June 11, 2020

For Birth Control: “The insertion was one of the most painful experiences I've had in my life (my body simulated labor). Upon insertion, I felt extreme menstrual cramps that had me doubled over in pain, nauseous, and lightheaded. I took 2 Tylenol beforehand (as directed) and the extremely intense cramps subsided within the hour. Cramps were much more bearable from then on. I had light bleeding for the following 2 weeks after insertion. I had cramps here and there but nothing severe at all. I now have my IUD for 5 months and my experience has been super positive! Little to no cramping for the past 3-4 months and I no longer get periods. I'm not sure that I will get the IUD again when my current one has to be taken out in 5 years, but my experience has been favorable thus far (besides the insertion, but it was worth the very temporary pain). I recommend Kyleena to people who don't love taking the pill and want reliable birth control that they won't have to constantly worry about. Hope this helps!”

Kat August 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got the Kyleena IUD a year ago, I was taking the pills for years and wanted something different. Insertion was pretty painful, my doctor prescribed me a cervix softener to take before and I took some Tylenol. There was a series of 3 painful cramps but the overall process took 5 minutes. I was able to drive myself home after and I had bad cramps the rest of the night but I woke up completely fine. Everyone has different experiences and different levels of pain, each one of my friends had a different reaction. The next 6 months I randomly got intense painful cramps and sometimes pelvic pain. I also noticed breakouts which I never had before. I went to the doctor a few times for check ups but everything was fine and in place. I just stuck it out and eventually it got better. I still sometimes get a random day of intense cramps but overall my periods are bearly there and the breakouts stopped!”

Csmall March 10, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on dozens of birth controls, pills/rings/patches you name it. Whether it was depression, anxiety, increase in aura migraines, or weight gain, I felt like Cinderella but having to search for my own damned glass slipper. Well I got Kyleena about 1.5 yrs ago, to help combat endo. The first month was unpleasant, but I stuck it out. Flash forward, I don't get a period(score!), hence my cramping has reduced substantially. It hasn't prevented the growth of some cysts, but without depression/anxiety/weight gain/ migraines? I'm a major winner. ONE downside is a little bit of acne around my jaw line/chin occasionally. For 5 years of worry free birth control? I’ll take it. Will it be the same for you looking for your glass slipper? Whose to say. Honestly, all our bodies are different, and what fits me is not a one size fits all. I never write reviews, but I love this IUD. Do your research, but don’t let bad reviews discourage you. I almost did, and would have been a big mistake.”

Rose December 22, 2020

For Birth Control: “Before Kyleena, I had four day long, heavy periods that came with cramps so painful I couldn't get off the floor and would have to leave school/work. The two different pills I was on over the course of two years also did not work for me (mood swings, cramps, heavy periods). I got Kyleena inserted in June of 2019. The most uncomfortable part for me was all of the measuring before placement (which was never more than a slight pinch) and then it was over too fast for me to react, but I have a pretty high pain tolerance. I drove myself to and from the appointment and then had mild cramps the rest of the day. My previously heavy and 4 day long period was so light on days 2 and 3 that I couldn't wear a tampon and then my period never came again. I went back to my doctor in July of 2019 and the nurse told me it was normal to never get my period. I also lost about 15-20 pounds in the first two months after the insertion. I still have not gotten my period in over a year and rarely ever cramp.”

Brook September 16, 2020

For Birth Control: “It was the most pain I have ever felt when I got it put it. I just laid on the table after the insertion because I wasn't sure if I was going to pass out or not. I bled for 4 months straight after getting it put in. I feel like I woke up one day and gained 20 lbs. I am an active person and stay on a healthy diet but it didn't matter because I still gained weight. I just feel bloated ALL THE TIME. I also got put on prescription acne medicine because I break out around my mouth constantly. My periods are super irregular. Sometimes I don't have a period for a couple months and then I have a period twice a month. I will say that my periods are significantly lighter! The cramping is one of the main reasons I am going to get it taken out because they are AWFUL. I know that the IUD works for some people, it just did not work for me. The only good thing about it is not having to worry about getting pregnant but I don't think it is worth it.”