Can Kyleena make your period stop?
Yes, Kyleena may make your period stop. Research has shown that 12 out of 100 women (12%) stop having periods after one year of Kyleena use. Typically, most women experience some sort of change in their periods, usually during the first three to six months after Kyleena insertion. Their periods may become lighter or more irregular or spotting may occur in between periods.
Some women experience heavy bleeding during this time. However, these changes usually settle down after about 6 months with most women experiencing shorter and lighter periods once their body adjusts.
If you are worried about the change in your periods or if you do not have a period for 6 weeks, talk to your doctor.
How does Kyleena change your periods?
Kyleena contains a small amount of a progestin hormone called levonorgestrel. This can reduce the monthly thickening of the uterine lining, making your periods lighter than before. In some women, their periods may cease entirely.
Once Kyleena is removed, a woman’s periods should return.
What are the most common side effects with Kyleena?
The most common side effects reported in clinical trials with Kyleena include:
- Vulvovaginitis (irritation and inflammation of the vulva and vaginal area): 24.3%
- Ovarian cysts: 22.2%
- Acne: 14.1%
- Abdominal pain: 13.3%
- Headache: 12.9%
- Pelvic pain: 8.2%
- Dysmenorrhea (pain during menstruation): 8%
- Increased bleeding: 7.9%
- Breast pain: 7.1%
- Nausea: 4.7%
- Genital discharge: 4.5%
- Depression: 4.4%
- Breast discomfort: 3.5%
- Device expulsion: 3.5%
- Migraine: 3.3%
- Uterine spasm: 2.4%
- Seborrhea (excessive discharge of sebum): 1.8%
- Upper genital tract infections: 1.5%
- Alopecia: 1%.
Serious adverse events that occur in less than 1% of people include ectopic pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, spontaneous abortion, and uterine perforation.
- Kyleena 02/2020 Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/kyleena.html
- Kyleena. Kyleena.com https://www.kyleena.com
- What to expect with Kyleena Kyleena.com https://www.kyleena-us.com/lets-get-started/what-to-expect/#:~:text=Kyleena%20contains%20a%20small%20amount,removed%2C%20your%20periods%20should%20return
Related Medical Questions
- What are the side effects of IUDs?
- Can antibiotics affect IUDs like Kyleena, Mirena, or Skyla?
- Can Kyleena cause weight gain?
- After having a Kyleena insertion, how long do I have to wait to have intercourse?
- Mirena, Kyleena, Skyla & Liletta - What's the difference?
- Can Kyleena cause acne?
- How long does it take for Kyleena to work?
- How long does Kyleena last?
- Kyleena Information for Consumers
- Kyleena Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Kyleena (detailed)