Is this normal - spotting and stomach cramps from starting birth control pills?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 7, 2023.
I have been taking the birth control Sprintec for about two months now. The first two weeks I was completely fine, no side effects at all. Then I started light spotting and it has only grown worse from there. I have bled everyday and now it is like my regular period. I also get terrible cramps on and off throughout the day. Is this because I have never taken birth control before? Or should I call and ask to change BC?
You can get irregular bleeding/cycles, spotting for the first three months when you start a new birth control pill. If the irregular cycles continue after three months then please see your doctor. Cramping is a common side effect.
Click on these links for more information:
Related medical questions
- Opill OTC vs other birth control pills: What's the difference?
- Can antibiotics delay or make your period late?
- What are my options for birth control and how effective are they?
- How long do antibiotics affect birth control?
- Why are my nipples sore? 7 possible causes
- What are the signs that Plan B didn't work?
- What should I expect after a Mirena IUD removal?
- Do antibiotics affect the morning after pill?
- What are the side effects of IUDs?
- What's the weight limit for Plan B?
- When do I start taking Diane pills for birth control?
- Sprintec Information for Consumers
- Sprintec prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Sprintec (detailed)