Can you get pregnant on the Xulane patch?
- Yes, you can still get pregnant using Xulane patch (ethinyl estradiol and norelgestromin transdermal), although your chances are much lower if you use it correctly. The patch is 99% effective when used as directed, according to the manufacturer.
- In clinical studies, 1 to 2 out of 100 women (1% to 2% of women) got pregnant during the first year that they used the Xulane patch (norelgestromin and ethinyl estradiol transdermal system).
- Your chance of becoming pregnant while using the Xulane patch depends upon how well you follow the directions for use. The better you follow the directions, the less chance you have of getting pregnant.
The Xulane patch may NOT be as effective in women weighing more than 198 lbs. (90 kg). If you weigh more than 198 lbs. (90 kg), talk to your healthcare provider about which method of birth control is right for you.
You apply your Xulane patch 1 time each week for 3 weeks, as directed by your doctor You do not apply the Xulane patch during week 4. Check your patch every day and make sure all edges are sticking correctly. To use this patch, your body mass index (BMI) must be less than 30 kg/m2 due to a higher risk for blood clots. Your doctor can determine your BMI.
Related: Xulane patch dosage
Does the Xulane patch work better than the pill?
When used correctly, the effectiveness of the Xulane patch is about the same as using an oral contraceptive or a hormonal vaginal ring.
- Different types of birth control have different levels of effectiveness.
- See the following chart to compare how well different types of birth control work.
- Each box on the chart contains a list of birth control methods that are similar in effectiveness. The most effective methods are at the top of the chart. The box on the bottom of the chart shows the chance of getting pregnant for women who do not use birth control and are trying to get pregnant.
Source: Xulane Prescribing Information. Mylan Pharmaceuticals. Revised Feb. 2021.
This is not all the information you need to know about Xulane (ethinyl estradiol and norelgestromin transdermal) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Xulane information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Xulane (norelgestromin and ethinyl estradiol) transdermal. Product Information. Mylan Pharmaceuticals. Morgantown, WV. Accessed June 23, 2021 at https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?type=display%20&setid=f7848550-086a-43d8-8ae5-047f4b9e4382
- Xulane (norelgestromin and ethinyl estradiol) transdermal. Patient Information. Mylan Pharmaceuticals. Morgantown, WV. Accessed June 23, 2021 at https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?type=display%20&setid=f7848550-086a-43d8-8ae5-047f4b9e4382#section-15.1
- Xulane.com. Mylan Pharmaceuticals. Accessed June 23, 2021 at https://www.xulane.com/en/faq
- Xulane. Drugs.com. Accessed June 23, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/mtm/xulane-transdermal.html
Related medical questions
- Twirla vs Xulane: How do they compare?
- Can you start the Xulane patch anytime?
- Should I stop using Xulane if I get a rash?
- Where do you place the Xulane patch?
- How does the Xulane patch work?
- Xulane Information for Consumers
- Xulane Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Xulane (detailed)