After having a Kyleena insertion, how long do I have to wait to have intercourse?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 27, 2020.
How long do I have to wait before not using another form of contraception?
The timing of your Kyleena insertion in relation to your menstrual cycle determines when you can safely have unprotected intercourse.
If you had your Kyleena IUD inserted some time during the first seven days of your menstrual cycle or immediately after a first-trimester abortion, then it is immediately effective and you will not need to use any back-up contraception.
If you have your Kyleena IUD inserted at any other time during your monthly cycle, you will need to use another contraceptive method (such as spermicide or condoms) for seven days after having Kyleena inserted.
Kylenna is a hormone releasing IUD (intrauterine device) that can provide continuous pregnancy prevention for up to 5 years. For more information please visit: https://www.drugs.com/mtm/kyleena.html
Related Medical Questions
- What are the side effects of IUDs?
- Can antibiotics affect IUDs like Kyleena, Mirena, or Skyla?
- Can Kyleena cause weight gain?
- Can Kyleena cause acne?
- Can Kyleena make your period stop?
- How long does it take for Kyleena to work?
- How long does Kyleena last?
- Mirena, Kyleena, Skyla & Liletta - What's the difference?
- Kyleena Information for Consumers
- Kyleena Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Kyleena (detailed)