Can Kyleena cause weight gain?
Yes, Kyleena can cause weight gain in some women although this is not listed as a common side effect of Kyleena. Weight gain associated with Kyleena is most likely due to water retention caused by the progestin contained in Kyleena, rather than an increase in body fat percentage. In most women, the bloating should subside within a few months.
How does Kyleena cause weight gain?
Kyleena is a T-shaped plastic contraceptive device that is inserted into the uterus and which contains the hormone progestin which is thought to increase plasma volume by causing increased protein retention in the vascular space as well as an overall expansion of extracellular fluid.
This causes fluid retention which in turn can lead to bloating.
How can you treat Kyleena-associated weight gain?
In most women, the bloating caused by Kyleena will subside as a woman’s body gets used to the progestin in the contraceptive device. In addition, women are more likely to gain weight during their reproductive years, whether they have an IUD or not.
Other recent lifestyle changes should also be considered as a factor for weight gain, such as an increase in food intake, a decrease in exercise, stress, or other medications. All women should ensure they eat a healthy balanced diet, partake in regular exercise, and stay hydrated with lots of water.
If the weight gain is significant or worrisome and lifestyle changes have not made a difference, then contact your doctor for further advice.
What are the most common side effects with Kyleena?
The most common side effects reported in clinical trials with Kyleena include:
- Vulvovaginitis (irritation and inflammation of the vulva and vaginal area): 24.3%
- Ovarian cysts: 22.2%
- Acne: 14.1%
- Abdominal pain: 13.3%
- Headache: 12.9%
- Pelvic pain: 8.2%
- Dysmenorrhea (pain during menstruation): 8%
- Increased bleeding: 7.9%
- Breast pain: 7.1%
- Nausea: 4.7%
- Genital discharge: 4.5%
- Depression: 4.4%
- Breast discomfort: 3.5%
- Device expulsion: 3.5%
- Migraine: 3.3%
- Uterine spasm: 2.4%
- Seborrhea (excessive discharge of sebum): 1.8%
- Upper genital tract infections: 1.5%
- Alopecia: 1%
Serious adverse events that occur in less than 1% of people include ectopic pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, spontaneous abortion, and uterine perforation.
- Kyleena 02/2020 Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/kyleena.html
- Kyleena. Kyleena.com https://www.kyleena.com
- Stachenfeld NS. Sex hormone effects on body fluid regulation. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2008;36(3):152-159. DOI:10.1097/JES.0b013e31817be928
Related medical questions
- What are the side effects of IUDs?
- Can antibiotics affect IUDs like Kyleena, Mirena, or Skyla?
- After having a Kyleena insertion, how long do I have to wait to have intercourse?
- Can Plan B make your period late or cause bleeding?
- Can Kyleena cause acne?
- Can Kyleena make your period stop?
- How long does it take for Kyleena to work?
- How long does Kyleena last?
- Can you drink alcohol after taking Plan B?
- How effective is Plan B and how late can you take it?
- How many times can you take Plan B?
- Kyleena Information for Consumers
- Kyleena Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Kyleena (detailed)
Related support groups
- Kyleena (12 questions, 43 members)
- Weight Loss (Obesity/Overweight) (690 questions, 1,420 members)
- Birth Control (448 questions, 3,674 members)
- Contraception (215 questions, 1,054 members)