User Reviews for Xulane

Birth Control 157 reviews 293 medications

6.2
Summary of Xulane reviews 157 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Xulane

For Birth Control "I've been on this almost 3 months and the only cons are cost and when I change it each week my emotions are off for a day or 2. You have to place in an area where your pants or bra doesn't rub so it can stay on right. My appetite has definitely increased but I'm not a big girl and I can control that. Love the convenience. The best placement for me is my butt cheek. I used to pay for this but found a clinic that covers it at no cost."

Monica D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on the Xulane patch for 3 months now. During the first month, I did experience some pregnancy side effects (AM nausea, food/smell sensitivity, painful breasts) especially on my patch change day. I believe it is normal as your body is getting used to the amount of hormones you are receiving. When it came time for my 4th week (off week) I did have a severe migraine that lasted up until I began my period, 2-3 days after removing the patch. It was so debilitating that I did consider discontinuing the patch. However, things returned to normal with my period and I did notice a lighter period that lasted only 3 days."

Part 1 of 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2017

For Birth Control "Have been taking Xulane for about 8 months, it's been great. Spotting during the first two months, tired with some increase in appetite until my body adjusted. I do notice mild headaches during days (1-2 times per week). Of course, breasts are swollen, which isn't a terrible side effect. I've had no nausea, no weight gain, and my mood seems more balanced. I have a history of depression, and have not had any issues outside of baseline while using Xulane. I have fewer PMS symptoms- less depressed, less irritable, don't want to run people over then cry because I'm a horrible person for thinking that :/ It's been very effective."

Liz348 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2017

For Birth Control "I got pregnant while on this damn Xulane patch. Not effective for me at all.."

Mimir23 January 3, 2017

For Birth Control "I started the patch 2 days ago. I thought it was fine and everything. My doctor didn't tell me the side effects of tell me I would have any at all. Past 2 days I haven't had any other symptoms but this past moring I woke up and I couldn't handle it. I tried to stay asleep but I felt like I had to throw up. I got up and ran to the bathroom and puked for a good 10 minutes. Now I know why I had so many headaches. Glad I quit before it got worse tho. I don't like it and I wouldn't recommend it."

migrob222 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

For Birth Control "My first time starting any kind of birth control (just to regulate my period, not really as a contraceptive) and I could only last half way through my third week, the increase in anxiety, depression along with the pregnancy like symptoms were debilitating. I just took my patch off today because I couldn't take it anymore. I have terrible gastrointestinal problems, feel sore and tender, dizzy, have headaches and the worst part is the nausea. It's been gradually increasing since I started and has finally gotten to the point where I can't leave my bed. My first patch fell off after three days so I put a new one on my thigh instead of my side and that made it not come off anymore but the mix of mood swings and painful symptoms are too much."

Hayley n December 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I started the Xulane patch two months ago. I have to say that it has been a great experience so far. I myself read through these reviews before starting the patch and I was terrified of the experience I would have. I have not gained any weight. I have not had migraines or even mild headaches. The patch does not itch nor does it leave a rash or any type of bump. It does leave a residue on the outer ring from where it catches your clothing and collects fuzz. I have not experienced any nausea. It has been smooth sailing. My period is drastically lighter and I don't get ill or experience extreme cramps. I have to say I'm a huge fan of the patch. It has even increased my sex drive, because I feel so comfortable now that I have it."

Hones-T (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

For Birth Control "Occasionally got a rash but nothing time or some hydrocortisone couldnt fix. Loved the convenience. Didn't love the few times it fell off and had to reapply or tape it back on. Overall, works great for my very busy lifestyle. Grad student, mom of 2."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 14, 2016

For Birth Control "So I've been taking this for about a month and a half now and I have recieved pregnancy symptoms of course. Even when I took the pill I felt them but that patch is worse I learned putting the patch on my thigh doesn't irritate my skin unless I put it any where on my upper body overall now that im getting used to it I really do like it better then reminding myself of taking a pill and I actually started loosing weight from it"

Jazzp123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been using Xulane for around 10 months. For the first seven months the birth control worked great! I noticed that I was much easier to get along with, periods were on a schedule, and my breasts appeared bigger! I didn't experience the weight gain or hardly any negative side effects. The most annoying thing was that the patch would sometimes fall off. Fast forward to three months, I am bloated all the time and experienced a weight gain of about 15 pounds. I literally cannot stop crying and tend to bust out in tears at even a sad thought. The worst part is the mood swings. I finally decided enough was enough and threw them away. I will be requesting the birth control pill next time I am at the doctor."

Amy9989 December 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I started using the patch around 2 months ago. I loved it at first. I needed the hormones because I have hypothyroidism and I needed more estrogen. I mainly took it because my health condition caused me to have acne all the time, 2 periods a month, & I started growing facial hair rapidly. I tried this and at first it was pretty cool, my hair stopped growing so fast, my periods were predictable, my acne was gone, and my small boobs grew. But all of a sudden after 2 weeks I started getting crazy mood swings and sad. I was snappy and had so much attitude. Then I started noticing that sleep was getting difficult. And I ended up gainingweight like crazy the last 3 weeks on it. itchy everywhere. Took it off today, & very nauseous. Not worth it."

I wanted to like this so much (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

For Birth Control "My first time taking birth control and I chose the patch. I was prescribed Xulane. I hate it. I already had a slight acne problem, it didn't improve it. It made my breasts tender all the time. I was spotting for a whole week, which was expected. The main issue from being on this patch, was my mood swings. I felt depressed, sad, I was crying for no reason, and then I would be happy again. My boyfriend hates it because of my mood swings. I've been on it for 3 months but not anymore."

Boujiegirl22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

For Birth Control "Nightmare! I was on the xulane birth control patch for 2 full months. I have felt like a complete Zombie with no energy at all. I can feel depression, anxiety and mood swings getting worse. I'm starting to get headaches and nausea which I have never experienced before. The patch doesn't stick very well on the skin. I've gotten rashes and it's always itchy at the site. I'm giving up on birth control because the crippling mental side effects are not worth it. I'm going back to condoms forever. BEWARE the mental/emotional side effects sneak up on you over time."

AKRK November 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I did a review on Xulane 8 months ago. I was taking the Ortho Evra patch and had to switch to Xulane due to it being discontinued. When I did my review, I was on the patch for 1 month. The patch is still very convenient. Increase is sex drive, no vaginal dryness, and light periods - no cramping. I am starting to get headaches for the past month. Seeing its a side effect of this medication (never got them before ) hoping they go away. Other than that, no complaints."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Why am I experiencing pregnancy symptoms? And why can't I sleep anymore? Not lookin to good Xulane. I just started two weeks ago.."

Nat. (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

For Birth Control "The patch causes itchiness but after a while it goes away. I noticed my breast are more full and perkier which is nice but I did notice I am more emotional on the patch and a headache here and there. This patch works great other than that. I recommend this to someone who doesn't like using pills and to someone who prefers a much easier and simple method."

Someone who is satisfied November 13, 2016

For Birth Control "Been on Xulane patch a week and my vaginal dryness from the depot is completely gone! My libido has greatly increased too. Before, it would take everything in me to even want to have sex, but not anymore! The only off thing is that the past two nights after dinner I get very nauseated and have lots of indigestion and burping. My cravings for kit-Kats has also increased, which tells me that it really does mimic some pregnancy signs. I bled almost every day on the depot and now that I'm on the patch I feel great!"

CKLeoooo October 26, 2016

For Birth Control "Every since I've started on Xulane I have Not been able to sleep. Has anyone else experienced this side effect....I don't fall asleep until, like 3am"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Xulane for about 7 months now and I absolutely love it! At first, yes, it is horrible while the body is adjusting to it. There are constant headaches and what look like signs of early pregnancy, but after a while it works perfect! It's worth the beginning experience. I have noticed that my breasts grew rounder and fuller, no acne, no vaginal dryness, predictable periods, light periods, low cramping and best of all, no unplanned children!"

Lalalalalala213131 October 21, 2016

For Birth Control "This medication works great, my cycle has never been regular but on this I can pinpoint the day I start and end my cycle. I do get headaches the first day I put on my new patch so i just take Advil as a preventive and that seems to do the job.. most of the time. This does help control acne as well, and have not experienced any weight gain and I have used it for over a year and a half. The patch site can itch but my skin seemed to get used to it after a month or so. I use it on my lower back above my pant line and switch sides weekly. This seems to be the best spot, except when I get asked what it is. lol! I was on the Depo shot for a year and absolutely hated it, and can't remember to take a pill daily so this is a GREAT alternative."

JessicaMT October 20, 2016

For Birth Control "The only negative thing I can say about the patch is that my period for the first two months lasted a little longer than usual but other than that I've had normal periods. I've noticed that I'm a lot curvier now and my boobs seem to be a little perkier. I love this patch! I prefer it over the nuva-ring or the pill."

Layla J (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Xulane for over a year now and so far so good. I have found it easier to cry and during my period i'm in pain with backaches (basically my whole body hurting). I had the nexplanon for 7 months before Xulane and it was horrible. I didn't have pain or cramps before trying BC. With nexplanon I had horrible never ending spotting/bleeding for 6 months and mood swings,mostly anger, i wasn't in control of myself so this was a great change."

Crashbox BlackOut (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2016

For Birth Control "Y'all missed the whole point of this question! It was about that rashes. I use the xulane patch too my first time on bc and yes it does leaves rashes and itch the only thing I can think of now is to not put it in the same spot as last time. I just wonder if the rash is ever going to go away"

Rose2414 September 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I started the patch on Friday and by saturday night I had started crying uncontrollably for no reason at all. This has not stopped and today I'm missing school because of that and the gnarly cramps I'm also experiencing. I plan on calling my doctor today to see if I should try something different or wait and see if everything levels out."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I switched from Nuva Ring which made my vaginal very dry, irritated non stop light bleeding. I also developed gross acne. 2 hours after I put this patch on I stopped bleeding. My acne is clearing up and my vaginal stays very very wet. I am noticing it's easier for me to cry and I'm sleepy most days, but my sexual arousal has been spiked and hasn't dulled my ability to orgasm like my previous birth controls did. Overall I'm happy. I'm hoping the sky high estrogen content doesn't cause harm. I need the estrogen though."

Lana90 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016