User Reviews for Xulane

Birth Control
5.9

Summary of Xulane reviews 5.9 302 reviews

Reviews for Xulane

For Birth Control "Best birth control I have ever been on, for some reason birth control like the patch and ring anything that involves take it off for a week and let your period come works for my body better. During 2017 I got off of it after 7 months, I have been so busy working at two different pharmacies and came across it with a patient made me reconsider to get back on it again so here I am !!"

Gloy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I suffer from PMDD. Prior to Xulane I was on Yasmin, loved it for the most part but stopped to check out what my blood pressure was doing. When I decided to go back on birth control I wanted to try something different, I was on the Pill for 3 years. I always remembered to take it, but had problems with certain pills (lorina & ortho tri). The first two months on the patch, my boobs and nipples were EXTREMELY sore all of the time. By the 3-4 month my beast tenderness went to normal. I have been on it for almost 6 mo now. My periods are starting to lighten up. I feel like it treats my PMDD symptoms about as well as Yasmin did so I will take it. I was expecting the patch not to treat my PMDD at all. I’ve had some patches fall off, but I’ve solved it by putting it on a low contact area of my back, and rubbing it for 5 minutes when applying, and not taking a hot shower before or after directly after applying it. I did get rashes when I put it on my butt, but on my back they are basically fine."

A February 5, 2019

For Birth Control "Used this for almost a year. Experienced little to no side effects until the almost year mark. I went from never having gallbladder problems and having a healthy gallbladder (had it ultrasounded the year before) to having an awful gallbladder attack and being hospitalized to have it removed because it had gotten so bad so quickly. I didn't even want this patch in the first place, my doctor talked me into it even though I asked to be sterilized. I’ll continue to push the issue until I find a doctor that listens. Meanwhile ladies, avoid this if you don’t have to have it. It can and will mess you up."

Lokiira (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on a the patch for about four months now after getting my Mirena IUD removed. My husband and I are not ready for children so I figured this was the next best option. I am 27 and have been on multiple forms of birth control before the IUD and have a history of anxiety and IBS. The first 2 months I experienced breast tenderness and basically 2 periods/month while my body was adjusting. Slight stomachache and fatigue, nothing I couldn’t handle. But in the last 2 months I have felt major mood swings and lethargy and my anxiety has been a lot worse. I started tracking my symptoms and found that I actually felt better on my period in terms of anxiety and nausea than when I had the patch on. I am going to go off of it next week because I think the hormones are making me crazy. I’ve never experienced anything like this before. Effective for stopping pregnancy, but not the birth control for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2019

For Birth Control "Ortho evra was so much better, I can tell xulane isn’t as effective and I still bleed though even though I am using xulane the proper way. Also the adhesive on the patch is not sensitive skin friendly, I have welts on my skin where I put the patch; ortho evra never did that to me. Also the adhesive isn’t as strong and the corners peel in the shower."

Kira (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2018

For Birth Control "Easy use and only have to change once a week. Weird interaction when I eat spicy food that causes pain in my arms. Increases number of migraines. Overall very good and haven't had issues of falling off."

YoungAdult (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Ok so I have used xulane patch for 5 years. I have had some issues over the years . Such as having the patch rolling up or getting stuck to my clothing. I usually fixed it or replace it when this happens. I have also had a small rash from one batch that I believe was just a bad batch. I have had some acne, tender breast and mood swings. Over all it worked great though doing it job keeping me from having more kids. That is until recently. I am so upset this month when I removed my patch and no period came. I waited and nothing its came time to start the new patch but before I refilled I took a test. I am pregnant and used the damn thing exactly as recommended. I am so upset right now I don't know what to do."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on the patch for two years now. And it is honestly so much better than the pill. It’s so easy to put on and I only have to put it on once a week. I usually stick it to my butt, alternating cheeks each week. The only downside that I have experienced is that it can be a little itchy sometimes."

JW (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 28, 2018

For Birth Control "First thing I would say is that every birth control reacts differently to everyone so don't let a bad review stop you. I read a lot of negative reviews about xulane but decided to give it a try. Now this is my first time ever on bc and bear in mind its been a whole week. The first side effect I noticed was that my anxiety and depression was like 10000x worse. The nausea is slight but bearable. I found that if I start to feel nauseated I eat something light and it typically goes away. I also experienced a loss of appetite but I think its just my body adjusting to the hormones. Oh and this bc makes me extremely fatigued!!!!. But so far this bc is ok for me. I'll give it the full 3 months to see if the side effects go away."

Katy456 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Xulane for two months. The first month I had minimal side effects. Mostly just small bumps at the site after I changed to a new patch site. Well for the past week, I have been having severe headaches, nausea, and last night I was experiencing dizziness while laying in bed. And then when I stood up I thought I was going to pass out. Of course my brain went to maybe I have a brain tumor or something else because I hadn’t had problems the previous month. I saw others experienced dizziness, nausea severe headaches that didn’t go away with Tylenol or Motrin and also balance issues. So I took the patch off and went to sleep. Also experienced severe fatigue and would get extremely tired and was sleeping all the time. I also gained 10 pounds in two months. I woke up after not having the patch on for seven hours. I woke up no more headaches, nausea or dizzinessI liked the ease of just changing the patch once a week but the side effects were too much for me."

Tay October 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on xulane for about 4-5 years and it was good at first because I didn’t know any better. Helped combat my endometriosis and ovarian cysts which were horrible. However, this BC is the pits. I literally have every side effect this BC offers minus the stroke and heart attack stuff. The mood swings and anxiety are the absolute worst.. High blood pressure, hot flashes, migraines and headaches, breast tenderness and swelling, and major cramping in between and on my period are all bad too. I would advise against this form of BC. I’m in talks now with my doctor about changing this because the side effects are more harmful than helpful for me."

Jess (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2018

For Birth Control "Worked good at preventing pregnancy, but horrible side effects. I have been experiencing crippling depression, mood swings, and anxiety. As well as slight weight gain. Up until being on this birth control I was the happiest and most positive person, I was motivated and loved life... I recently got off and quit using because I am realizing what it is doing to my body. The good does not outweigh the bad, and I will be quitting birth control for good."

Kay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I had 0 side effects on the patch so I love that. But it has fallen off EVERY single week which is crazy because the "clinical trial" said it only falls off 5% of the time. Maybe a once a day hot shower is too much for it?? I've tried different areas and it doesn't want to stick more than a few days. Then the adhesive wears off and the edges get loose from lint. I've even tried medical tape to keep it on. I love that it's not daily and I have no side effects. But I'm so stressed out that it wont stay on so...efficiency rating goes down?"

Catdaddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on xulane for three months now and there aren’t a lot of negative things I have to say about the patch. The only bad side effects I have had so far is that my boobs ache, badly. They are bigger (before the patch I was a 34DD, who knows now) but they are so sore to the point where I have to hold them but still get no relief. Also, I have the CRAZIEST dreams on this birth control - even if I’ve only been sleeping a few minutes. They are so vivid it’s unreal. I also do get a little itchy when I put my patch on for the first day but nothing crazy and it usually subsides that day. My period has lightened up and shortened which I don’t mind but I’ve always had a lighter period to begin with so no change there. I would recommend this birth control for other women to try. Each woman will react different but it’s worth it to try!"

Mamatay (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

For Birth Control "Been on and off this BC for about a year now. My periods seem to have shorten tremendously and my breast literally increased cup size. I suffer from migraines and surprisingly, I haven’t had much of an episode on this. I have noticed however, a change in my sex drive, which is not all that great now, and a HUGE change in my mood and behavior. I pretty much feel like I am dealing with post partum depression all over again, I cry randomly, I’m sad a lot more than I can digest and I literally get angry without warning. It’s really a love and hate thing for me, but the fact that my boyfriend and my daughter can notice a change in me overall, I think this is doing more harm than good. Deciding to take it off during my next period. If you have any anxiety or history of mental illness such as depression, please do your research, this definitely not for everyone."

Annie October 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 22 and been on this birth control for a few months and I have had no major problems with it. No weight gain, my face is super clear, VERY light periods that last about 5 days! I’m writing this because there are so many negative reviews about this birth control when it just depends on your body since we’re all different! Only negative would be I do get a bit more moody but nothing major!"

LizaGarcia15 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I have mixed feelings about Xulane. It did wonders for me regarding my functionality while being on my period. I used to bleed very heavily, feel very dizzy and lightheaded like I was going to pass out, vomit, and have awful cramps. That all went away when I started taking this. I also like how convenient it is. The patch stays on pretty well. But that is all I have to say that's good. It took about three months for my body to adjust, but I had excruciating headaches and spotting for two weeks straight at a time. The worst part of this are the awful mood swings I get. I don't feel like myself sometimes. I'll just be irrationally angry over the smallest things or have minor anxiety attacks. It killed my sex drive, which is the complete opposite of how I used to be, and it's starting to take a toll on my marriage. It all makes sense considering that the information packet that my pharmacy gave aid that IT CONTAINS MORE ESTROGEN THAN CERTAIN PILLS."

Marie September 30, 2018

For Birth Control "Have been on since October 2016. Started off well. Had 4 day periods. Over time I had weight gain about 20-30 lbs. Hot flashes and vaginal dryness/infections started to happen. I haven't gotten pregnant on it and it didn't effect my mood much which is impressive since I already have clinical depression. 6/10."

Skyelerblu (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Xulane for 3 weeks and while I have loved the convenience of the patch I had to take it of yesterday. With the first two patchs of the month I felt fine at first but experienced swollen and sore breasts. That I could handle. However, when I put the third patch of the month on I started experiencing nausea, anxiety, and dizzying headaches. I threw up everything I ate and when I wasn’t throwing up I was crying. I didn’t feel like myself and I didn’t know how to make myself feel better. I started taking xulane because I was having a period every other week. I’d rather do that that feel how I felt when I put on the third patch that day. Xulane while convenient is not for everyone."

Hauden September 18, 2018

For Birth Control "This is the best birth control EVER! I have a really hard time remembering to take normal (pill form) birth control, so this saved my freaking life. My periods are SO much better, my skin has cleared up. I'm less moody. SIS! I LOOK SO GOOD DUDE I'M LITERALLY GLOWING. MY BOOBS ARE SO PERKY. For me this is the only birth control option Plus I'm not pregnant so. seriously, try it out."

Haru September 16, 2018

"Been on birth control to reduce the cramping and heavy periods following the birth of my 3rd child and tubal ligation. I’m 43, 5’3” and 130lbs. Started with nuvaring which worked great years ago for me but now I bled all the time with. Switched to pills but couldn’t remember to take them each month. Doc recommended patch. Been on it for about 6 wks. Goes on easy and is foolproof. No issues with it sliding/coming off. However, I notice my breasts ache nearly all month. I have headaches and a lot of neck tension/pain. I’ve gained about 7 lbs and am retaining a lot of water/am bloated. My anxiety is awful. Like a motor running in my chest and then intermittent episodes of depression ; crying, tearfulness and lethargy. Also agitation. It’s just awful for me. I’m going off it and back on the pill."

Lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on the patch for maybe 5 months now, and I do like it because my cramps are not bad, my period is not as heavy or horrible as it use to be and I do not get pregnant on it. But I throw up a lot on the patch, it also increases my anxiety. I am miserable being on this type of birth control, I would not recommend this to anyone.."

kmb1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I love Xulane. I have PMDD and/or bipolar and this patch has helped me tremendously. I literally used to cry 10-15 times a week and now I only cry when it’s appropriate. I have very sensitive skin so it does turn my skin red, but I just make sure to put it somewhere else next time and the redness goes away quickly. It is a little itchy but I’m used to it now. The best part of this is how hard it is to mess up! The worst part is I’ve been spotting for months - but all BC so far has done that for me."

Geo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I'll write another review on the Xulane patch, given I only put it on a few days ago. I'm 25, 120lbs, nonsmoker, healthy foodie. My doctor prescribed the Xulane patch due to my PMDD. So far, I've noticed that my skin has cleared up rapidly. My symptoms have massively lessened- usually I deal with bad migraines, heavy bleeding, chest tension, swelled breast, & dibilitating cramps before & during cycles. An hour prior to putting the patch on, I had a migraine. I noticed my new cycle was beginning, so I started it. The pain began fading off within an hour tops. Pain from cramps are barely there, haven't had swelling or aches so far, & the flow lightened up immediately. No itching, took a shower & it didn't budge one bit. My doctor DID talk to me about the risk of blood clots, which is also stated in the papers in the Xulane box. I'm not worried though. 10/10, hope the next review I write will be a great one."

HappyCatLady (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I do not recommend this patch to anyone with sensitive skin. I thought this maybe the next thing I tried after giving birth and not wanting to take the pills everyday. I placed this on my butt cheek and after one day, I noticed itchiness. I did not think of it much until 5 days later when I felt the area throbbing in pain and swollen. My skin had a bad allergic reaction to the patch and I took it off right away. Now I am still recovering from the area so please be aware of serious skin allergic reaction if you have sensitive skin."

Angelicious (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

More about Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin)

Other brands: Ortho Evra