User Reviews for Altavera

Birth Control
6.3

Summary of Altavera reviews 6.3 16 reviews

Reviews for Altavera

For Birth Control "I have been on this birth control for 2 weeks and it has made me break out in horrible cystic acne all over my face, neck and back. Has also made me so nauseous and feel like my food isn’t digesting and just sitting in my stomach. Feel myself gaining weight everyday! Switching back to Orsythia where I had no side effects!!"

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Birth Control "Over the past few years I tried Camrese and Viorele for painful, heavy periods due to fibroids. Both made me extremely irritable with no sex drive. I also gained a few pounds. I recently tried taking the pill again and was prescribed Altavera. Somehow my mood is fine on this medication and my sex drive is through the roof. I have lost a couple pounds because I may have less appetite. I sometimes have very mild but tolerable headaches on Altavera but overall the experience has been great. Periods are lighter and shorter with less cramping, too. Worth a try if other pills have failed - I had pretty much given up but got lucky with this one."

A (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Altavera made me so huge and gave me acne. I was always tired I couldn’t move I always felt heavy even after working out. This pill made me so emotional and cranky most of the time. I wasn’t motivated to move around at all. It slowed my body down!! WORSE PILL!! DO NOT GET!"

Phatgirl August 3, 2018

For Birth Control "Ok, so Altavera is the first birth control I got on and it's been working fine. I initially lost my appetite completely and in the first week, I lost 4 lbs. Now I've been regaining my appetite and I've gained all that weight back that I've lost. I've been on it for over 2 weeks now and I have no complaints other than I've gotten 2 pimples on my forehead and I never break out there and I've gained a little weight since I started it but I'm not any heavier than when I started it so that's good. I haven't had headaches or anything so I'm happy about that. I haven't had any issues so I recommend for the time being."

lele9876 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on a few different generic birth controls before the pharmacy started giving me Altavera for the past 2 or so years. I usually skip the white placebo pills and start taking the next week of pink pills right away to skip my period. However, I do notice that after about 3 months of skipping my period I'll start having some light spotting so at that point I'll take the placebo pills. I used to break out every time I got my period but now my face is clear unless my diet is really bad."

Mel (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I asked my doctor about taking birth control because my periods would last 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. They were very heavy, with the first 2 to 3 days where I would have terrible cramps to where I couldn't move. Midol did not always help. After starting the birth control my periods are now 3 or 4 days long. They aren't heavy and I don't get cramps. I do, however, get terribly gassy the week before my period, but that's worth it to not have awful cramps. My boobs get tender too before my period, but I had that before birth control. I've been on Altavera for three years now - going on four - and I am happy with it. I didn't really gain that much weight when I started it. The weight I did gain was from not the best diet and no exercise. It's not hard to lose weight either, if you're still taking Altavera."

K (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2018

For Birth Control "So I just started the pill (on my 3rd week of my first pack) and I’ve noticed some things and I can’t tell if it’s just my body adjusting or if something is wrong. I've never been on BC before until now and I started my period 6 days ago. I’ve noticed increased nausea and I’ve had some pretty consistent/painful cramping for the full 6 days almost non stop. My flow has also been pretty heavy. I really hope that this is just my body adjusting to the pill and that it will even out within the next month or two...."

Catherine (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my IUD removed and was put on this immediately after. It has been 3 months. I have gained 15 lb, have acne on my face and chest and horrible mood swings as well as periods of sadness. I do not recommend this at all. My doctor said it was a great pill for woman in their 40's...men should take these things first!"

Amy - PA (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

For Birth Control "I took this pill for about 4 months before I was switched to Portia (which is the same thing) by my pharmacist. I liked this pill. My periods are so light which is nice because I have always had heavy periods! No acne and no weight gain. As much as I liked this pill, I did have mood swings at the beginning, but by the end of taking Altavera I was fine!"

Yerduax July 25, 2017

For Birth Control "My doctor switched me to this after having depression, anxiety and terrible cramps while taking Kariva. I've been taking birth control for about 7 years now due to PCOS and I've tried pretty much everything, nothing seems to be the right fit as of yet. I've been on Altavera for 2 months and I've gained 12 lbs already. Aside from increased hunger, I've noticed I've had less cramping and my periods were lighter and for less days. I've also had less mood swings. Aside from gaining weight, overall not bad."

niki88 June 7, 2017

For Birth Control "This pill has given me so much acne. My mood and emotions are pretty stable but my acne is unbearable."

Anonymous August 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I've taken this drug for a month now and I love it. I had an abortion before I starred this drug and this lessened my bleeding. My skin is fine, it never was unclear. My weight is actually going down but I'm open to that changing later. No vomiting, headaches, random nausea, or mood swings. My sex drive has been the same, through the roof. Only thing that I've noticed is my sensitivity to salty foods. I've always gotten sodium headaches if I've eaten to much salt through out the day but now it's a bit more sensitive to alot of chips, too much gravy, and popeyes chicken. Either than that... I LOVE IT!"

RubbieRue June 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I am a healthy 27 year old female and have been on Altavera as a birth control method for the past 2 years. In the first 2 months I had some issues of stomach upset and increased emotional fluctuations, but after 2 months of usage, my hormone levels evened out and I have not had any side effects since. Also, sometimes when I schedule my period around vacation or an important event, it has been very easy to quicken my period (take only 2 weeks of pink before white). However, when I tried to skip my period (skip the white sugar pills and go to a new pack) I did have some spotting in the 5th week on the pink pills. I have not experienced any weight gain, headaches, increased cramps, nor acne in the 2 years I have been on Altavera."

Helen C. (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2016

For Birth Control "#1 it gave me acne. #2 I GAINED so much weight in such a short period of time #3 it made me beyond emotional, I hated everyone/everything, I wouldn't smile & I was on the verge of thinking I am bi polar at times. If your doctor EVER! prescribes this to you.... RUN! Long story short.. I HAD A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE."

AY0STEPH (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I just switched to Altavera after trying other pills for the past year and suffering from weird side effects from each. I will say that for me, this has by far been the best one and I wanted to write a review because I've seen so many bad reviews about this pill. I previously tried Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo, Yaz, and Lo Loestrine FE. I believe I have symptoms of PMDD so I wanted a pill that will help with that. This is the end of my first month but so far I have had no breakthrough bleeding at all, my face is slowly clearing up, and my hormones are much more even (no more sobbing over little things). My period was on time and normal for what I was experiencing prior to birth control. I did notice headaches but so far so good! Hopefully this helps."

Roxy86 December 21, 2013

For Birth Control "I've taken birth control since I was 15, I am now 24. I used to get horrible migraine headaches around my menstrual cycle so I was put on continuous birth control. This has really made a huge difference for me! Instead of having a monthly period, I have a period 4x a year, every 3 months. I do believe birth control has been a contributing factor to my weight gain however. I don't have any crazy cramps or horrific mood swings. Currently I am taking Altavera."

Schlee July 23, 2013

More about Altavera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel)

Other brands: Alesse, Aviane, Lutera, Seasonique, ... +42 more