User Reviews for Amethia

Birth Control
6.1

Summary of Amethia reviews 6.1 19 reviews

Reviews for Amethia

For Birth Control "I did not get pregnant while on this pill so in that matter it was effective. However, each quarter I would have a month long period which was terrible. At the end of the 3rd set of packages I had a 12 week long period that stopped on the 4th set. At the end of the 4th set I finished the 12 week period in week two of the last package. I had no bleeding on week three, but started up again on week four. That period only lasted two weeks. My doctor is now checking for various conditions that could have caused the prolonged bleeding, but believes it was the pills."

Sooner Chic (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I've taken other generic versions of this before. Camrese made me gain weight and while I was okay in the short term, I began experiencing depression in the long term. I've just finished my first 3 month cycle and overall I am happy with Amethia. One big pro: it cleared up my skin A LOT, more than any acne medication I have ever tried. For that reason alone I'd probably keep taking it. The first month I had more intense mood swings than I normally do, but by the end of the 2nd month everything seemed back to normal. I did experience spotting and slight cramping my 3rd month, but not nearly as severely as I usually cramp and it went away. I'm hoping my next 3 month cycle the spotting and mood swings will go away completely."

Megan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I was prescribed Amethia when my go-to birth control for at least 5 years wasn’t available (Amethyst). I started taking it as prescribed and 5 days in I started experiencing menstrual cramps. They slowly started coming on more often and by day 7 I was rudely awakened by profuse sweating and extreme cramping for 30 or so minutes. I am not one to easily feel nauseated, but this pain drew me to near vomitting. I was miserable and sitting on the floor waiting to throw up into the toilet when I finally the cramp released and I was covered in sweat. I admit, I have not tried many BC pills and have not strayed far from Lybrel/Amethyst in all the years I’ve taken the pill so I have no idea if I was just sensitive or if anyone else experienced this. Needless to say, I quit taking this med and have been off hormonal BC for 4 months."

Beepbopboop (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been taking amethia lo three month pack . The first month of taking the birth control I got the common side effect of depression but kept taking it. It got better with time and I thought it was actually working pretty well with my body . Boy was I wrong ; once I started my second month I started to spot I have never spotted in my entire life so I didn’t know what was going on by the time my period was supposed to happen I just kept spotting not getting my period. I was freaking out thinking I was pregnant because I was experiencing the 1st trimester symptoms. Not pregnant just still spotting . I got woken up in the morning with the worst stomach pain of my entire life felt like I was getting stabbed and punched in my lower abdomin . I have been spotting for 8 days now and I just want it to stop"

Babyspice123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I started Jan 2018; I never got a period the first 3 months. Also not sexually active at that time so I knew I was fine. My body balanced out, I started getting a little period once a month, 4-5 days. If you miss two days, you will spot, sometimes multiple days like a period so carry it with you... I did put on a few pounds with this pill, my doctor told me to just workout more haha it's the price we pay with BC: extra hormones, cravings etc. But overall my mental and emotional health is balanced."

Alisha (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I have started Amethia this month, switching from Tri-Nessa and I honestly have no complaints about it. So far, knock on wood, it has been great. Less cravings and also a stabilizer with my mood. I don't experience the tender breasts like other women and actually my breast size have reduced since taking it. I have yet to see how I feel later in the month."

Reshma (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Birth Control "This drug was terrible for me. First time on birth control and it has taken me months of being off the pill to work up the nerve to try again with a different pill. The first month was great, but around the time that my period normally would have been, Amethia had me cramping and bleeding more heavily than during my normal periods, despite the fact that I shouldn’t have gotten my period at all. Breasts were so tender I couldn’t even touch them. My moods were all over the place. Only reason I gave this review 3 stars is because it did prevent pregnancy."

Bh13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m on my second month of my three month cycle with Amethia and I love it! The only real side effect I’ve had is a little bit of nausea, so I really can’t complain. My skin is actually clearer as well. No weight gain, no mood swings, no change in appetite, no sleeplessness, nothing! Really impressed so far."

Athackx December 19, 2017

For Birth Control "Listen, let me tell you about this drug. I thought I was dying. I was vomiting 5-6 times per week with no apparent cause and at random times (but more often in the morning). I had also gained 30+ lbs in the two years since beginning Amethia, but having always struggled with my weight I wasn't as concerned with that issue because I thought I just needed to diet. Well, I stopped taking Amethia about 3 weeks ago. The first thing that happened was that I had diarrhea for a week straight. Second, I immediately dropped 5 lbs, which I thought was due to the diarrhea, but the weight loss is continuing and I'm now down nearly 10 lbs in 3 weeks without trying. And finally, I haven't vomited for three weeks now, which is AMAZING."

Knightrous June 19, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm on the 10th week of my first 3 month cycle. So far this pill seems quite good other then spotting which stopped once I started taking it within the same 5 minutes every day. I recently had spotting again which my Dr advised to take 2 pills daily for 3-5 days until it stopped. It now stopped completely. I did have period cramps after 2 months which should have been my period timing. I also have a huge increase in appetite but I'm not sure if it's from the pill or just from switching my job to part time and being home more. I plan to continue using this for a while"

Debs21517 May 1, 2017

For Birth Control "I have nothing but great results from these pills, I was put on Amethia when I was 15 for very heavy and extremely painful periods so bad I would live on a heating pad for a week and miss school/work a few days each month) I've been taking it for 8 years now and have not had any noticeable side effects, no spotting, moodiness, weight gain or acne. My periods are much lighter and shorter, much more manageable. My only complaint is the price, normally my insurance covers it fully but between coverage when my deductible resets I end up paying close to $300 for a 3 month cycle pack."

Meenameena February 16, 2017

For Birth Control "I have endometriosis and was put on Camrese so I could have less periods and hopefully lessen the severity of cramps and pain. The 1st 6 months were rough, with spotting almost every other week and a 2 week long period Weeks 8-9 but once I started the 3rd pack, symptoms resided and improved. However, in January, insurance decided to switch me from Camrese to Amethia. I have since gained 20 pounds and am very moody. My acne has stayed fairly clear though and cramps and pain are still managed better than they were with one-month BC pills."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2016

For Birth Control "I've recently switched from Trinessa (taken for 18 years) to Amethia (taken for 6 months). I discontinued Amethia mostly due to mood change & weight gain. Pros: Effective in preventing pregnancy, normal periods lasted 4-5 days once every 3 months. Cons: Severe moodiness and impatience in first 1 1/2 months which turned to moderate depression for remaining months and overall general unhappiness. Increased appetite which led to increase weight gain in the belly (5-7 lbs in 6 months). Extreme bloating in belly area in the 2nd & 3rd month in each cycle. Mild monthly cramping during times when period normally comes. Bone & muscle pain - mostly in knees & legs & teeth. Cost of medication was high (based on my insurance coverage)"

Justawoman August 22, 2016

For Birth Control "This birth control was the best thing for me because I'd bleed for a month straight before the pill. This was difficult since I play sports . Now I only get my period once every three months . My period comes right when it should (on the sugar pill). The only bad effects I've had is weight gain, bloating, and increase in appetite. I've read many reviews and weight gain is an issue but if you workout regularly you should see decrease in bloating"

Cass0897 July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I started with microgestin seven months ago to help with periods. They were heavy and incredibly uncomfortable and the microgestin just wasn't working for me, and I'd been on it for six months. Then I switched to amethia and things were weird for a little due to the hormonal changes, but after a month, everything leveled out. I haven't gained any weight, my skin is still relatively clear. The only thing I've noticed is that my breasts are very itchy. I then noticed that I was having frequent allergic reactions to *something*, so my doctor reccomended I stop taking this for two weeks. Turns out I was just allergic to my body wash, but the breast itching went away, but has since started up again. I've been back on amethia for two weeks now"

Kswizzle July 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm halfway through week nine on this medication and have no complaints at all. I've had absolutely no spotting or cramping. I had bad hormonal acne before starting this pill (I was not on any birth control prior to taking Amethia) but now I rarely break out except for a few stress related pimples in the past couple of weeks. I haven't had a period on this yet, but so far my body has taken to this medication very well. No weight gain or mood changes either that I have noticed!"

Allied1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016

For Birth Control "My gyno prescribed this pill to help with my menstrual cramps. My gyno warned that spotting was the most common side effect of this pill. The first four weeks there was nothing, all was well other than a little nausea while adjusting to the new pill. I started week 5, the first week in the second container and instantly started spotting. At first it was nothing serious, nothing a panty liner couldn't handle. About a week goes by and the bleeding became much heavier. I'm now going through 3-4 tampons a day. Called the DR and he said it's just my body getting used to it and to stick it out for the rest of the 3 month pack and after that my body should be adjusted. Wish me luck, the cramps & bleeding are worse now than before."

Mirowo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I decided to switch to this from Reclipsen (Apri) because I liked the idea of only four periods a year. Big mistake. This birth control made me break out like I never have before. I also gained about 25 pounds while on this. Being a young woman, those are the two biggest things I look for in a birth control pill, besides effectiveness obviously. The chemical difference between the two pills obviously did not agree with my body, and I switched back to Reclipsen after about 6 months. I will be sticking to Reclipsen for a long time."

JayceeAmara (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I am new to birth control. I first took it when I was 19 and turn 20 shortly after. My first three months were hell. My nausea was terrible that I could not eat anything, engage in sexual activities without the urge of vomiting and be dizzy. My period was very off. My body was almost on a whole month of just my menstrual cycle. It was nasty. HOWEVER, I decided to stay on it because those side effects are normal. On my second pack (4-6 months) my ACNE CLEARED UP!!! Since I had gone through puberty at 11,and had acne since then and now my skin is like a baby again. My period is officially 2 weeks long (I begin spotting and gradually have a heavier flow). I have gained about 17 pounds but I think that's because I stopped exercising rigorously since graduating high school."

Chico Lover May 12, 2015