User Reviews for Alyacen 1 / 35

Birth Control

Reviews for Alyacen 1 / 35

Logan’s mommy · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2018

For Birth Control: “Ok I took the Alyacen 1/35 pill or the first time yesterday at five and I woke up this morning sick, nauseous and could not wake up until around three or four. I kept falling asleep, it makes my stomach hurt. I took it again today like maybe an hour ago and I feel like I have period cramps! I’m in a total bad mood and horrible to be around all day today and just don’t feel good! This is only day 2 I hope something changes!”

PP December 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've only been on this birth control Alyacen for one month and have been bleeding every day since I started these pills. My breast have also gotten very big and tender. The headaches and nausea are minimal.”

Ashley jane March 17, 2017

For Birth Control: “I take this pill every day. The pill has caused me to be an absolute wreck, for weeks if cried myself to sleep for literally no reason at all, I'm depressed and always irritated. I just have no motivation to do anything anymore after taking this. I would scream and be angry at my boyfriend for no reason at all, I'm surprised he hasn't left me. I start crying at the drop of a pin. I would not wish the emotions this has caused me on anyone. My stomach gets bloated, my nipples hurt like all the time, and my breasts are tender. This is the worst pill you could take ever. DONT DO IT.”

kansangrl19 February 4, 2019

For Birth Control: “So I had to switch to Alyacen (ethinyestradil 0.035mg and Norethidrone 1.0mg) because insurance change and I was originally on Minastrin (EthyIestradiol 0.02mg and Norethindrone 1mg) started that at 17 and noticed a 15lb weight gain. I athlete in high school a so I can't exclusively state that it was birth control. In October 2016 I switched to Junel. I had no period on either pill. I have had a 35lb+ weight gain. I am currently on a 1300 calorie diet and work out 3 days a week with an active job with hardly any weight loss. I have also noticed I am an emotional trainwreck. I can't handle confrontation/ constructive criticism. I turn into a defensive ball of anger and tears, even over very minimal things. I have no sex drive. I have had migraines and palpitations. I have felt completely out of it at times, wanting to sit and be alone and I used to be an huge outgoing person. I even got engaged and my fiance has noticed a change in my sensitivity to things and of course my sex drive. It din't get bad until almost 2 years on this”

NADJE · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2020

For Birth Control: “My pharmacy suggested I try Alyacen because it was much cheaper than my former BC and was supposed to be the equivalent. I have only been on this BC for 8 days and already gained 6 lbs, I’ve been bleeding and cramping everyday and my moodiness is through the roof!”

meangirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have been on this birth control Alyacen 1/35 going on 5 years now. It has never caused me problems. No side effects. It regulated my periods, made my cramps less painful, and has done its job as far preventing pregnancy. I don't even take it at the exact same time every day and it still works.”

anonymous July 19, 2019

For Birth Control: “I always had horrible periods that were very heavy and came with seriously bad cramps. Sometimes I’d be in so much pain I'd have to skip school and work. This pill helped A LOT for my period. After only a month it’s way lighter and my cramps are still there but basically non existent after what they used to be. BUT major downside is my change in mood. I have no motivation to do anything, and always grumpy. I can never pinpoint why. I'm almost 100% sure it’s because of this pill bc the mood I’m in every month is almost exact. The first week I’m fine. The second I’m crying all the time and in such a dark place. The next my temper is so short. Biggest downside and making me consider another option.”

anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 1, 2018

For Birth Control: “I've taken this pill for 3 years now, and the benefits keep getting better and better! Before birth control I used to bleed through super tampons and maxi pads (both at the same time) for at least 4 days. After 3 years of Alyacen (or cyclafem depending on what the pharmacy gives me) my periods only last ONE day and are so light that I could get away with only using a liner. When I originally started the pill it did make me break out a lot, so I'll give it 9 stars instead of 10, but once my body adjusted to the medicine my skin was fine! I have absolutely no side effects while using this medicine, and I will continue to use it for as long as I need it”

C · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

For Birth Control: “Took this Alyacen 1/35 for 3 months. I really liked it! I hardly had any side effects. I did have breast tenderness and a little bit of acne around my period but nothing that wasn’t manageable. Sadly, my pharmacy doesn’t carry it anymore so I got switched to a generic brand called Cyclafem and I have had horrible depression and the nastiest chin acne! (Cyclafem comes in Cyclafem 1/35 strength and Cyclafem 0.5/35 strength , and also Cyclafem 7/7/7 with is a different formula - so need to check which mine was)”

C · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2019

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on this birth control Alyacen for months now and like many commenters have had issues with weight gain and mood. I already suffer from depression/anxiety but my depression has been so severe after starting this birth control that I hardly move most days. Also, it did not occur to me until reading through these comments that my sex drive is almost nonexistent lately.”

BlayhreBarb144 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2021

For Birth Control: “My emotions are everywhere & through the roof. My period still isn’t regulated & that was the whole reason I started taking BC. The 2nd month when I started my period, I encountered horrible acne problems. It made me feel like I gained 100lbs. Though I was alright with my period popping by for 4/7 regular period days. Month 3 happens, I still have horrible acne. It won’t clear up and this time my period last 8 days long. I also still feel like I’ve gained 100lbs. Now I’m in month 4, I started my period already way before it was supposed to. My last one ended 12/23/20 and started back up on 01/02/21. Now I’m still on it & it won’t stop. 2 weeks of being on a period is ridiculous. I’m drained. I feel sick all the time. My back aches. My head hurts constantly. I don’t know what to do anymore & I really just want my period to stop because my doctor will not see me while I’m still on my period. I just feel defeated.”

Lauren1996415 February 8, 2018

For Birth Control: “This is without a doubt the best birth control I have ever used... and I have been on a lot of different kinds. My periods are the lightest they have ever been. I used to have to wear the heaviest pad with the heaviest tampon and still bleed through. With Alyacen I can wear a tampon and I am perfectly fine. It also makes my periods last about 3-4 days. Also, my moods are sooo much better than when I was on any other bc. The only issue is that I PMS so terribly the week before my period. I noticed when I started taking this, the week before I started I was having over 50 heat flashes a day. It's actually awful... but I would take that over constant mood swings and depression, on top of an extremely heavy period every month. Of course not everything is for everyone, but I seriously love this. Sidenote: I personally have not dealt with dizziness or nausea that everyone else seems to have had... But I know things work differently with everyone.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2017

For Birth Control: “The first couple weeks were a struggle for me. I was very nauseous and gained a couple pounds but after the couple weeks it started to regulate and went back to normal. It made my periods super light and short which was great considering I had very heavy and painful periods before. It also cleared my acne and I never had any pregnancy scare. I had to switch because it decreased my libido a significant amount and caused a lot of issues with sex. I would say its a decent birth control.”

The Unlucky Girl June 8, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started taking these pills 3 months ago and so far it hasn't helped with my heavy periods at all. The doctors told me it might take 2-3 cycles for it to start working but I am currently on my 3rd period since taking the pills and this time my period is way heavier than my last two and I have awful cramps (I rarely cramped before using this pill). I have anxiety all the time now as I am terrified I might develop a blood clot. I'll give it one more month and then look into other pills I guess. Probably gonna write another review so yeah. Also I'm 18 and my periods have been heavy since I was around 15. Praying it works because I can barely move around/stand on my period otherwise I'll just bleed all over the place...”

PCOS November 27, 2018

For Birth Control: “Everybody’s body is different so what might be my side effects might not be yours. I started this pill 08/2018, by 10/2018 I gained 20lbs. The depression & lack of motivation the pill caused helped the weight gain. I stopped going to the gym & eating right. Because of my PCOS I have to be on birth control EVERY DAY. My out of balance hormones with these extra hormones really threw me out of wack. I scored high on the depression screen during my physical, met with a nutritionist & started therapy, nothing changed. I switched to Otrho-Tri-cyclen, I KID YOU NOT, 3 days after I was feel my normal self. I got my motivation back, depression has lessened, back at the gym, & working on my eating. Please don’t take this med if you are experiencing any negative symptoms. It is YOUR BODY! Only YOU know when something isn’t right. You have every right as a woman to request a new med. Be sure to ask your Dr. to write on your script “no substitute.””

rx gal · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2014

For Birth Control: “This medication so far has worked well. I am defiantly less moody on this pill, my periods have for most part fully stopped. I do get more migraines and slight abdominal cramping during placebo week, no change in sex drive, weight and no melasma, so I'd say this definitely a better pill on the market for me!”

mm1988 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 22, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was on Alyacen for 4 years to control heaving bleeding after pregnancies, my doc said it was the best BC at treating this. It worked well for the bleeding & I had no nausea. I'm only 30 with no medical issues but I noticed BC tends to raise my BP My doc wanted me to try Kariva to see if my BP went back to normal. Since being on Kariva & having headaches, nausea, weight gain, acne, I really appreciate Alyacen! In terms of weight, I actually lost 15 lbs the first year I was on it. At that time I was really active with working out & weight lifting. My menstrual migraines & acne went away. My moods & sex drive didn't change & it did help hair growth on my face. Hereditary - random chin hairs, booo. I do recommend it, it worked great for me personally. On Kariva for a few months I have gained weight but not sure it's due to lifestyle or the pill. I do know that on Alyacen I had no probs losing weight. I'd love to switch back to but my new GYN wanted me to try Kariva first.”

First ever user November 29, 2017

For Birth Control: “After about a week of taking this, I woke up n the middle of the night to the most nauseous I've ever been and broke out in a rash on both of my arms. The following morning I was super dizzy and felt like passing out. Went to the nurse right after and switched to Vienna which is much better so far, except for a little breakthrough bleeding, but I'd rather have that than what I've experienced before.”

wicked popular the ER September 21, 2017

For Birth Control: “My doctor prescribed this drug to me as a preventative measure against ovarian cysts. The first few months were good, normal periods and no notable side effects. Last month, the day after starting my 4th month pack, I woke up dizzy and nauseous. After a sudden attack of violent vomiting I was sent to the ER where doctors believed I had a seizure. After starting my 5th month pack this week, the same thing happened to me. This drug works but the first few days after Placebo week are starting to scare me.”

The Unlucky Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2017

For Birth Control: “Okay well I finished my last pack of the pills that I have been on for the past 6 months. My last period wasn't as heavy as it usually was which was great. Also, my 4th day (one of my heavy days) had the flow reduced greatly which made me very happy. That gave me hope that maybe the rest of my periods would also become managable. Now I'm on my period again, and I honestly just feel like I want to jump off a bridge. Its back to how heavy it was prior to the pills, and the cramps are back full force. I really don't know what to do at this point...”

Amber · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 16, 2018

“First time ever taking a birth control. I was prescribed it because of my heavy periods and painful cramps. The first couple months I did notice an increase in appetite I had. But no weight gain. I have trouble sleeping every night for 5 months until it went away. Just when I was about to get my period I had crazy mood swings. Just when I was 7 months in, I experienced terrible migraines that has me begging for mercy right when I was going to have my period. No migraine pill can get rid of. I’m currently on month 9, and I'm not picking up my refill. I plan on switching to another after I didn’t experience a light period or less painful cramps.”

Kiki · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2021

For Birth Control: “I've been on Alyacen for 6 months and with a very active sex life I can give it a good rating for doing what birth control is supposed to do. However my mood swings are terrible. From screaming rage and a racing heart in traffic to complete break downs at the drop of a hat during a rough day I have considered coming off Alyacen for that reason alone. Other than that I think its been pretty effective.”

Alynxanxer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 25, 2021

“I've been on this for almost a year and there are hardly any side effects that I've experienced. Although sometimes, I've found that my nipples secrete a clear fluid. I've never been pregnant before so I just thought that was strange. My partner and I assume it's just from the change in hormones. Hardly any cramps and little blood flow during period.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 18, 2021

For Birth Control: “I've been on this birth control for over a year in total but stopped taking it for a while. When I first got on Anyacen I gained 15+ pounds. I just recently started taking the pill again and the change I feel is drastic and it's only been a week back on it. I noticed undeniable tiredness that wasn't there before, I'm way more irritable with others, and my sex drive has plummeted. I think birth control affects everyone differently, this is just my experience.”

HateMyUterus · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2021

For Birth Control: “First of all.. I would NOT recommend these pills to anyone! I have PCOS and Endometriosis. I didn't even make it to week 3... even in the pamphlet it says if you are having stomach pains to NOT stop taking it. Let's talk about the side effects I had. That very first pill had my stomach in loads of pain. I couldn't sleep at night, was very nauseous, had hot flashes like crazy. I would pour sweat then start freezing. I had migraines. My boobs hurt the entire time. I couldn't control any of my emotions. I cried all the time, I was angry and yelling at my husband for the tiniest things! It got so bad he told me to stop taking it so I did. IF you have anxiety or depression do NOT take these! Again I wouldn't recommend these to anyone!”

More about Alyacen 1 / 35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)

Other brands