User Reviews for Mirena

Mirena Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I just had my mirena 2 and half hours ago for the first time. I didn't search or had no idea that I will be in such pain while inserting it. Up to now as I am writing this I still feel cramps and bit numbness on my arms. It is a weird and painful feeling. After couple of hours I will have ultra sound as the doctor recommended. We will see how it goes. Hopefully my body will get use to this because I'm freaking out about all the side effects that I have just read."

Jheng May 16, 2018

"I LOVE my Mirena IUD. It honestly has been such a relief to me. Before I had gotten it, my periods were extremely irregular since I started when I was thirteen. I wouldn't get periods for two to three months at a time. So I tried the pill but I had to get taken off of it due to my migraines. I was seventeen when I first got my IUD. Now I have a high tolerance for pain so getting the Mirena placed was a breeze. They used ultrasound and were finished in less than five minutes! About a half hour after I left the office I had extreme cramping. Most painful thing I have ever felt, but it only lasted about two to three hours. After that for about three months I had light spotting. Now I don't have any bleeding after having it close to two years, but I do get the occasional cramps here and there, but nothing significant. It really just depends on the person and what is right for them, but I always suggest the Mirena to all of my friends and family members!"

Hannah Banana May 10, 2018

"The insertion was really painful. I was in pain the whole day. The next day I was better but I was cramping and felt lazy and dizzy. The day after that I was back to normal until I had sex. The first time he didn't feel it as much to where it bothered him. The 2nd time he hollered because it pinched him. I'm getting it removed this week and get the pill"

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2018

"I am on my third mirena (12 years since first insertion). I just love it! Haven’t had a period since one month after my first insertion. No cramps, no mood swings. Insertion is not a pleasant experience but totally worth it for five years of care free bliss."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 5, 2018

"I had been on the Nuvaring for 5yrs before deciding to pursue getting an IUD.I have been using Mirena for 1yr now and I love it. I wanted something that was care free. I had read many reviews b4 getting the mirena, I was so scared of how much it would hurt. The day I went in for the insertion I was in the room for a total of 5 mins. It hurts for the second that it passes through the cervix. The following few hours and days, you get period cramps periodically, just like a regular period.Then through out the next few months I would have cramping randomly (mostly b/c my body needs to get used to the hormones and stuff).The first few months I needed to use day liners for about 1-2 days,no divacups, or tampons needed. I now don't even need to use liners at all. I still get some spotting that may need a liner for 1 day but that is all. I haven't had any weight gain, acne at all. I would recommend the IUD to anyone who forgets about pills or just wants to not have to worry about taking pills on a regular basis."

Kye1 April 25, 2018

"Oh boy, I would rate this zero if I could. I had mirena for 8 months. I started to get heavier bleeding and worse cramps around 5 months in and thought my body was still struggling to adjust. I finally got into my doctor and an ultrasound and now I have two ovarian cysts that are 6cm and 3cm in size. I am now back on my old birth control pill. It’s not worth having to get laparoscopic surgery."

chels (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

"I had the Mirena IUD inserted in 2013 when I was 20 years old. I had 3 months of light spotting on and off while my body was adjusting to the hormones. This was the first and only method of birth control I have had. I kept it in for the entire 5 years. I gave it a rating of 8/10 because it did its job in preventing pregnancy. However I developed acne, depression/anxiety, gained weight (went from 128 at time of insertion to 158). I was able to lose weight this final year with the IUD and currently weigh 143. However this was not easy at all! I had a strict diet and hiked 3.5 miles 4x per week. I felt like I had to work twice as hard in order to lose some weight. I had continued to get a monthly period for the entire 5 years with Mirena. Doctors just said that I was part of a small percentage of women who continue to have normal periods. Insertion and removal were both very painful as I had never given birth"

MirenaFreeee April 23, 2018

"I had my first child and decided I did not want another one any time soon after so I choose to go with Mirena. I had suffered from some vaginal ph imbalance prior to my pregnancy. During my pregnancy the pH imbalance and 3/4 months after giving birth it was gone! But as soon as I started using the Mirena, BV started taking over my life. The method was effective for birth control but also I was not having much sex due to the constant BV. I would treat it and it would come right back within a few days! I tried several different treatments but then I finally found other reviews from women with the same horrible issues. It’s something about the string that created the bacteria and creates a biofilm. So Mirena is not a good method for women who have sensitive pH systems."

Buggz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2018

"I love Mirena! After having my daughter, I went back on Alesse that I had used for years before and started experiencing a bunch of side effects such as mood swings and weight gain. My doctor suggested Mirena and I absolutely love it. The insertion wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought (a couple of minutes of discomfort, plus a couple of hours of light cramping afterwards), and I have had zero side effects on Mirena. Love not having to remember to take a pill every day!"

Laura (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2018

"I really wanted to love the Mirena. I was nonstop spotting for about 2 months, but my period stopped after that. It did a great job preventing pregnancy and I loved how I didn't have to worry about it. What caused me to remove the Mirena was that it made me break out extremely badly and my boyfriend always felt the string (I even got it trimmed twice). I do have hormonal acne, so maybe that's why this made it so bad. Other than those two problems, the Mirena did do a very good job, but I think I'll stick to the pill."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2018

"I had 3 children in 4 years. After the last child was born in December 2009 we decided that 3 was enough to handle. So I had the Mirena put in around December 2010. I don't ever remember any head aches or bleeding or irregular periods. I had it for 5 years and it was great. I didn't attributes any major weight gain to the IUD. Since the 5 years was up in 2015 I had it removed. Since I was over 42 the time, we decided to give my body a break from the hormones. I also thought it less likely would get pregnant due to my advanced maternal age. Well I got pregnant within a year and had a miscarriage. I got pregnant again and had another miscarriage. At 45 I didn't think the pregnancies and DNC was good for me. I got another IUD March 2018. So far, I'm experiencing heavier periods, spotting and cramps. I did not have this experience previously. I'm told to wait it out at least 4 months. I'm waiting it out, but I'm hesitant and thing of having it removed. I don't like how I feel now."

Baby momma *3 April 15, 2018

"I suffer from ovarian cysts which is why I started taking birth control. My cysts became so large my doctor was worried about my ovary collapsing. I had at least 3 cysts burst which is VERY painful. During the time I had the IUD, I was increasingly becoming more depressed, I had no interest in my friends or family and I just didn't feel right. My family doctor prescribed an anti-depressant and recommended follow up with a psychiatrist. After speaking with a nurse at the office she helped me realize it was the IUD that had changed my behavior. Like every medicine, every patient will be affected differently. If something doesn’t feel right. If you just feel off. Make sure you talk with your doctor, they might be able to help."

Fe April 12, 2018

"I have Mirena for about 1 year and few months it was painful when it was inserted and I had heavy bleeding for along time. I was desperate so I went back to have it removed but the doctor talked me out of it and told me to wait that all the heavy bleeding and spotting will go away. So I waited for about 3 months and it did go away - no more heavy bleeding I hardly get a period and no bad cramps. I did gain a little more weight and I do get headache sometimes but not often. So my experience with mirena was bad in the beginning but then it was fine hopefully this review can help you"

Paola March 29, 2018

"After reading multiple horrible and scary reviews in the waiting room of my OBGYN, I was terrified of getting the mirena. But alas, I convinced myself that was "just all those horror stories and none of that would happen to me." Well it has been almost two years of the Mirena and it is me. I have gained 35+ pounds, have severe anxiety attacks (never have I had experience with this), depression, no libido, and crippling cramps/bloating. Sure the no period thing is sort of nice.....but I would rather just have a period than be experiencing all of the nonsense I am now. My only advice is that you know your limits. I had promised myself I would *stick it out* and see if anything got better with the side effects but they just kept getting worse. I am getting this taken out in 2 weeks and I COULD NOT be more excited. Also ask for options on birth control, because some of these doctors are very pushy with what they choose to recommend and not."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 26, 2018

"I had a complicated pregnancy and was recommended to not get pregnant again. Mirena placed at 7 weeks post partum after csection. I had bleeding basically for 4 months but if you do your research it says that it can take up to 6 months for your body to adjust to hormones. I've had it for 10 months and haven't had a period in 6 months. I have weight gain (approx 10lb) but it also happened when I stopped breast feeding so that's my fault. No symptoms of depression, sex drive is still kicking and not pregnant. I'm not prone to depression or anxiety. I LOVE the mirena. I recommend it to everyone I know for birth control or vaginal bleeding. Hope this helps! Give your body 6 months then if you hate it get it out. But give it a chance- you are changing your body's chemistry"

Ali (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

"I got the Mirena IUD for free at age 26 as a member of the test group when it was still being tested at Johns Hopkins. I had it for almost 4 years, I had it removed because it had slipped down some and I GOT PREGNANT. When it was removed it initiated a painful miscarriage that ended in a surgery. I ALSO had multiple ovarian cysts throughout the time I had it that kept coming for the next 8 or so years including a painful cyst the size of a baseball that had to be removed in emergency surgery. When I began to try to get pregnant about 2 years after having it removed I couldn't and never did again. I was diagnosed me with unexplained infertility but the obgyn did suggest that my issues were probably due to all the complications I had from the Mirena.. I can't stress this enough to women out there considering this type of IUD, USE ANOTHER FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL!! The risks with using this IUD are not worth the benefits in my opinion."

kell (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2018

"Be careful. I thought this was would be a great decision. Due to a heart condition, I could not longer take oral contraception. My Mirena experience has been a nightmare. I am 8 months in and have scheduled to have it removed next week. It was torture to have it placed and the cramping was awful for almost a week afterward. I gained 5 pounds, had incessant bloating, depression, and hair growth on my face. I am hopeful I will be freed from these horrible side effects."

very displeased (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2018

"I've had Mirena for 1.5 years. Insertion was uncomfortable but doable. The first few days I had cervical cramps which made me double over sometimes. Advil worked fine to ease the pain. The first five months I spotted constantly. I had a bit of trouble normalizing my emotions the first month or two. After the first 6 months no more periods or pain. Anytime I'm really stressed, or have a drastic change in activity, attitude, or emotions I will spot for up to two weeks. Overall Mirena is great. I would recommend it over any other birth control."

EEW (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 15, 2018

"Had the mirena for almost a year. I’d always suffered from mild anxiety, but while I was on it it increased to almost a crippling level. I was developing depression and I couldn’t shake the feelings. I also had absolutely no sex drive, so for me there was really no point in it. It was effective, of course, but it ruined just about everything else. I spotted constantly, was grumpy or nervous, and gained almost 20 pounds. I was at 118 and now I’m at 135. I got it out a week ago, I haven’t weighed myself but I can already see the difference. My clothes are starting to fit like normal again, my mood swings are almost non existent. I got it out while on my “period” so I haven’t had an experience with that just yet. But so far a few weights have been lifted off my shoulders"

Nvagn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2018

"I had Mirena inserted in June 2017. My doctor suggested it since I suffer from really bad migraines (especially during my period). From June on I didn't get my period . Unfortunately I hated what it did to me - weight gain, acne on my face/neck and back, constantly feeling bloated, cravings/large appetite, and no sex drive. After 9 months I finally got it removed on Friday. I will say that it did help with my migraines since I didn't have a drop in hormones like the pill . I went from 134 to my current weight 156."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

"After my third child I decided on Mirena. Got it inserted 12/16. Bled for three months with horrible pains. I have had serious digestion problem. To date, I went from 145lbs to 165lbs (my heavest). I have had horrible mood swings, anxiety, hot flashes, back pains, joint pains, fatigue, constipation etc. Recently, I have started to feel like I'm having a heart attack. My bp is now 135/88. I have never had bp in this range. I'm getting it out this week. I can't take it anymore"

Deci (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2018

"I just got Mirena removed after about a year of having it and I couldn't be happier. It started out great: my periods were light to nonexistent, my hair grew faster, and of course I didn't need to worry about pregnancy. Fast forward to about month 5 and things took a turn for the worse. I had developed severe anxiety and moderate depression, struggled constantly with stomach/digestive issues, my acne went out of control, terrible mood swings...my list could go on and on. I finally did some research and found that plenty of women experienced the same as me, so I got it removed and have felt great since! No more skin issues, digestive problems or mental health issues. I just wish I had done a little more research before I got it."

mwalke17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2018

"I had mirena for about 8 months. I was told to use that one instead of the copper IUD, so I did. I was expecting the inconsistent bleeding because that happens to me whenever I try a new birth control. I honestly hated the mirena. I felt I was going crazy, until I started researching online and found so many others with the exact same symptoms and thoughts. I gained about 17 pounds on the mirena, something I was told was not going to happen. I had a fast metabolism before this and wasn’t too worried about what I was eating. Then I noticed the increase and of course when I got it removed they told me it increases your appetite. I also felt cramps so much worse than I used to, and the spotting was getting annoying because it lasted longer than my regular periods. I’ve had it out for about three days now and the bloated feeling I had is more minimal. I’m hoping my body goes back to its natural state fast and that I can work these pounds off. It definitely didn’t work for me."

MJ 23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2018

"I wanted to love Mirena! I had it inserted 8 weeks postpartum. My bleeding from having a baby had stopped a few weeks prior. As soon as I got Mirena, I started to bleed, and bled for 4 weeks straight, twice the amount I do on my normal periods. What made me decide to get it taken out was the fevers I was getting. I was getting 102 fevers randomly for a few days with no other other causes. Within 24 hours of getting it out, the fever immediately resolved. My body was definitely not a candidate for an IUD."

Kasey Walters (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

"Mirena 2 yrs I had Mirena inserted 6 wks after my child was born. I was very fit & active before my pregnancy. I gained 30 lbs & lost 20 the 1st wk after giving birth. After Mirena was inserted, I gained back the 20 lbs & decided to get back to eating right & working out. I thought I couldn’t lose the weight bc of the stress on my body from work & not eating right. Fast forward-now, had Mirena since April 2016. I have HORRIBLE depression, anxiety attacks from nothing, blurry vision, dramatic weight gain, went from 140-170 pounds, the most I’ve Ever weighed in my life! the more balanced I try to eat, the worse it seems to effect my weight gain. Not to mention I have NO sex drive anymore & am always moody & feel bad for my bf. We used to have amazing sex before Mirena. I looked up reviews & side effects after crying about it 1 day, I finally decided maybe it is Mirena. I made an appt for next week, I just hope after it’s removed I get back to my fit & happy self. Hope this helps."

rubyxtues February 22, 2018