User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 259 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I'm 22, have no children, and had my Mirena inserted about 3 months ago. I was first on Skyla for 3 years, then the second time around chose Mirena as it lasts longer and because of the current political climate. The insertion was very easy for me, however that may have been because I already had an IUD in the past. The insertion of my first IUD was terrible, VERY painful, but the benefits outweighed the few minutes of pain. Since having the Mirena IUD I've only had 1 period that lasted 1-2 days. I've never once had the slightest concern about being pregnant, and have experienced no side effects besides a few days of spotting after the insertion. Highly highly recommend."

Bec10_1 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 24 years old with 2 children. I wasn't 100% sold on getting a tubal being so young, but I'm sure I want one now. Mirena was NOT a good idea. I've gained 20 pounds in 6 months, and have acne so bad you'd think I never washed my face/neck. I have ZERO sex drive and I'm constantly tired. Not to mention a raging women. Not good for having a 6 month old and a toddler... I have an appointment to schedule a tubal, and I cannot wait to get this toxic hormone pumping piece of plastic out of my body. Let's hope I return to my normal self...."

Geen (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 26 years old and got the Mirena IUD 6 months ago. I do not have any children. Getting the IUD inserted was the most pain I have ever experienced, it felt like my uterus was getting electrocuted!! After getting it inserted, I had severe cramps that lasted for at least 3 months along with constant bleeding and/or spotting. These cramps were significantly more painful than my normal cramps. I had to take t3's and at times couldn't even move. Since then I have also gained 20 lbs and got acne on my chin/neck/chest. I have also got random skin rashes. I was really hoping this would work out for me, but I am thinking about getting it removed if nothing changes in the next few months - I don't feel like myself anymore."

Mirandee09 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I had a horrible experience, but it was because I was not given anything to soften my cervix the night before. Also I did not take any ibuprofen, but I was really uninformed about the procedure. I was 18 and never had a baby, so when she clamped my cervix it felt like a horrible cramp and a sharp pain. It wasn't too bad and definitely tolerable; however, my gyn could not get the Mirena into my cervix. So the clamping pain never stopped, for about 5 min she tried and I was becoming faint from the pain. We stopped, but since I know what the pain was like and how it should've only been 30 seconds of it. I am going back a year later next week, to get the Kyleena. Which is a smaller IUD, and I also will be getting something to soften cervix."

Anonymous June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had the Skyla placed at my 6wk postpartum check up. It was slightly uncomfortable but no different than when I had my Para guard placed 8yrs before. My Dr. recommended giving Skyla a try because I have a heart shaped uterus and had experienced problems with the Para guard. The skyla is a smaller IUD. Her belief was if I really wanted to try an IUD the smaller style of device could be the ticket due to the shape of my uterus. Yes I cramped a little that day, and off and on the next day. I spotted constantly for the first 3 months. I have noticed losing weight to be difficult but who knows if its the device or some other cause. I have noticed I am more irritable and I have decreased sex drive. Anyone else experience these problems?"

questioning mommy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was all going well until 6 months into it a sudden burst of laughter dislodged the Mirena and it eventually perforated the uterus and ended up on the outside. After 2 lots of ultrasounds it has to be removed by laparoscopic surgery. Not a good option if you live outside the city as many appointments to get it sorted plus the expense of it all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just had Mirena inserted a few days ago. The insertion was not as painful as I had expected, mainly uncomfortable. I had it put in as a reliable contraceptive after my first baby was born. My OB told me numerous times that the mirena is recommended for women who have already had children. I have no complaints about it so far. There was some pretty bad cramping after it was first inserted for maybe 10 minutes. But that's kind of a given considering something is being placed into your cirvix hole.."

Jaaayzz (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 27 and have never been on BC. No kids. I decided to try BC. I didn't want to try pills because I hate the "trial and error" part of it and I am terrified of acne or weight gain and also I'm just not responsible enough to take it daily. I read sooo many mixed reviews about Mirena but I figured, what the hell, let's try. I love that the hormones are IN your uterus and not in your blood stream so minimal effects on mood. Your mood swings are in your head. No appetite change, no more acne than usual. INSERTION: I was soo scared of the pain I read about. I have a LOW tolerance. I took two Advil an hour before hand and my Doctor told me when the cramps were coming. You won't cry, you won't faint. 6/10 on cramp pain, lasted 5 mins. RECOMMEND!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All I can say about this is, I'm not pregnant. I got this terrible concoction put in less than 6 months ago. The insertion was excruciating. I cramped for days. My menstrual cramps are different, worse than ever. I never had periods before, Which was great. But now I get them monthly. I want it out due to pain, mostly."

Jenrenken (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the Mirena on November 16th, 2017 and just got it removed today (June 8th, 2017). The insertion was extremely painful. In November when I first got it I weighed in at 116 lbs at 5'3, after 6 months I weighed in today at 131.4 lbs. This was without a doubt a result of the Mirena. In addition, I experienced horrible cramps for 3 weeks every month, my digestion was off all of the time, worsening acne, water retention, increased appetite, extreme bloating, a rash/hives all over my chest, lowered sex drive, sex was very painful and would restart my period, the skin on my nipples started to peel and I could feel it poking inside of me 24/7. I hated it, I won't recommend this to anyone."

Megannnn26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had 2 mirenas in the past, one before my first child, one after, and have just had my 3rd inserted today, 6 weeks after my second child. It has worked very well for me, completely takes my period away after the first couple spotty months. I do not experience any significant side effects, and was happy to switch to this from being on the pill for 15 years. I have depression and it has not worsened my symptoms, and actually has improved my sex drive. The first one my husband couldn't feel at all, the second one poked him a few times depending on position but we both agreed the benefits far outweighed the negatives for both of us - no period, no moods swings, no cysts on my ovaries, better libido, all of which were a problem on the pill"

Morganica (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got Mirena October 2016 to reduce my typically heavy and painful periods. (Got tubes tied after baby number 2 so didn't need it for birth control.) Gained weight and got acne up my back and neck the next few months. My husband noticed I seemed more sad and lonely all the time. I got bladder infections every time I had my period until I started taking D-Mannose...and it had been years since I'd had one. Around the 6 month mark -- when they say your periods should level out -- I went from a period every 3 weeks to one every 7-10 days. After 8 weeks of this, I got Mirena removed. It has been 5 days. I'm still bleeding but my skin has cleared up already. My niece is looking into connections between her Mirena and MS-type symptoms she's developed"

agent7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"What a nightmare. Severe cramping for 6 months like I was in labour, daily bleeding for 12 months, fatigue, lactating breasts after 12 months and now pregnant. This is so garbage it should be removed from the market. It is disgusting it is legally being sold to unsuspecting victims."

charzie (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mirena has been the best decision I have ever made. I was trying different birth control methods, depo 2 years, switched to pills realized I had a forgetful problem and a sensitivity to estrogen therefore I was led to long haul contraceptive. I had done progesterone only BC to stay child free in my young college life. So mirena seemed good option. I got it inserted at 18 I'm now 21 and I'm still in absolute love with it, it's me myself and my Mirena. Insertion was so painful not gonna lie. My periods are very light just like tiny amounts that only show up on toilet paper. Sorry but best way to describe it. I experience PMS symptoms for like a week or 2 leading up to these like fake no uterine lining periods. So yes that's what to expect. Definitely go for it."

Angggg (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Recommend!! I initially had the 10 yr IUD (2001) it was awesome, I barely even knew it was there. After that I got the Merena and liked it as well. I think the key is to make sure your OBGYN knows what they are doing when its inserted."

MasCharleston (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I posted an initial review 2 weeks ago. Quick recap the insertion was not painful...1st week I had 3 very painful migraines as I was adjusting to the hormone change. Only Advil worked for me. Wasn't much of a surprise being that I have migraines (not as bad) on my period. 2nd & 3rd week NO MIGRAINES. Just a few random & akward muscle spasms that last a split second. Bleeding only light enough for a panty liner every other day (2 days total). My bf does not feel it. Most imp, I am worry free of getting pregnant. Don't let these reviews get to you, every woman is different."

3kidz4now (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mirena has been a brilliant alternative to taking the pill for me. I had it inserted 4 months ago and have experienced no side effects or problems since. I love the fact that you don't even need to think about it. I am a 26 year old with no previous children, I say this as it is often recommended for people who have already had kids. I am married and I plan to stay on it for about three years. The insertion process was a lot like having a Pap smear. It did not take very long however it was very painful (9/10) for about a minute. Afterwards I experienced a lot of cramping and discomfort for the rest of the day. I feel like although it was an unpleasant experience in the long term it is totally worth it. I never had major problems with the pill either however I did experience mood swings and a low libido. I also didn't like the fact that I had to remember to take it daily and I would often fail to take it at a consistent time. Since being on Mirena I have rarely gotten my period, (it has been nice not to think about tampons!) I did occasionally have some very light spotting in the first two months. I have been meaning to write this review for a while as I have been very pleased with my experience. I highly recommend it to others my age, it is a sensible, convenient option and I have been a much happier person ever since."

Bonnielass (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had Mirena inserted 3.5 months ago. Your healthcare provider will inform you that the first 3-6 months after insertion can be rough, but I want to warn everyone who is considering getting Mirena that this is NOT a joke. If you enjoy bleeding for 2-3 weeks out of every month, then Mirena is the birth control for you. Since the insertion, I have not had more than one consecutive week without any kind of spotting or bleeding. I also want to add that Mirena was recommended to me because of severe cramps that the Pill did not alleviate, but my cramps with Mirena are worse. I sometimes get dizzy/lightheaded from them as well. Apparently this is all considered "normal" in the first 6 months and I am nearing my breaking point."

AS1995 May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I see a lot of reviews about the initial placement being painful, but I honestly did not a feel a thing! My doc talked me through it, counted 3 potential cramps. But I didn't feel any until immediately after & it felt no worse than period cramps. They lasted for about an hour. Then had a migraine for the rest of the day. Bled lightly. Day 2 & I have no complaints. Bleeding even ceased. I'm gonna do my best to push through any side effects, better than being pregnant again! Will post updates."

3kidzforNow May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had it 5 months now, and I am getting it out next week. I've had some CRAZY side effects on this thing, the doctor swears it's local hormone release so Mirena can't be the problem, but its the only thing that's changed in my life. Insertion sucked but it wasn't unbearable, I had severe cramping after insertion. Since I've been on it I've had a decrease/change in libido, continual spotting, almost constant cramping, headaches every day, mood swings, increased levels of depression, a ridiculous flare up in acne, lower back pain, and achy/dry eyes (I wear contact lenses and I've never had this problem until the IUD). Doctor did not discuss any potential side effects with me before inserting."

vicnick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience has been horrible I've had it in for 5 months and haven't stopped​ bleeding I wouldn't recommend anyone to ever get the mirena and the cramps hurt so bad in my stomach and in my back"

Andrea2017 May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First one worked fine, no periods and no pregnancys! 2nd one fitted!!! OMG I felt like I was losing it! I eventually worked out that my anxiety was linked to it! Had it taken out and ended up having 12 months of counselling. Always been a bit of a worrier but the mirena sent it to a whole new level!! Never again. I now know of 2 other people who experienced similar issues."

Fjb58 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a horrific experience with the mirena. The insertion was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. It was absolutely horrific. I was covered in sweat and I almost lost consciousness from the pain. The following 2 days, I took 3 ibuprofen every 6 hours and I was still in so much pain that I could hardly bear to eat. I knew I needed a stronger pain med but had no confidence I could drive myself to the doctor's office. 3 months later, I had my first panic attack completely unprovoked. I've had anxiety since then, and horrific, severe acne unlike anything I've ever had. Removal was just as painful. The strings were cut too short so I need to get it surgically removed under general anesthesia next week. I can't wait. I've had it for 5 mo"

Clarac123 May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was 45 when I had the mirena coil inserted. I'd never had children so it was painful but bearable. Everyone is different so just make sure you talk any concerns through with your GP. I had a very light period for first three months and occasional cramping but no worse than before I had the mirena inserted, after that I've had 4 and a half years period/cramp free. No side effects whatsoever. My 5 years are up so I'm due to have it removed. Have been told I'll experience the same level of discomfort in the removal so at least I know what to expect and it literally does only take a few minutes."

Alyn19 May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had mirena for about 2 years before I decided enough was enough. I was bleeding for the first 2 weeks straight, but after that I never had any bleeding at all. It wasn't until after 6 months that I had severe acne, anxiety/depression, and had gained 20lbs when I had not changed my exercise routine or eating habits. I'm an Aesthetician and none of my remedies and practices could get rid of my acne. I had zero history of anxiety or depression. It became so bad I started to disconnect completely with my circle of friends. When I removed it, my doctor immediately put me on the pill again and Doctor was very annoyed that I had it removed. I immediately started to feel like myself again as soon as she pulled the strings out! Avoid this IUD."

hlightyear (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2017