User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 263 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I have had mirena for last 4yrs. No problem since I've had it and I love it"

Anonymous October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got it put in during my six weeks post baby appointments after having my son who is now five. I had it taken out when he was two in a half and I haven't got pregnant since. It had shifted but they never told me I couldn't have kids. I haven't even got infertility testing done yet"

tiyanna91 September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 32 years old, (2 children 11 & 2) & just had the mirena removed yesterday, after having it for 1 year. It's the only form of birth control I have ever used, but I have friends that had used pill, shot, the arm implant & Mirena. Most agree that The mirena was the best. Few said that theirs didn't stay in place & one said she had to have surgery to remove because it actually embedded to a part of her body it shouldn't have. The only issue I have had this past year is weight gain and irregular periods. I had the mirena removed to see if I feel better without it, if so I'll have to try to find another form of birth control, if not I'll probably go back to the mirena. Now that it's been removed I'm having major cramps though"

Julie R.W. September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had the mirena IUD for 5 months now and so far I've loved it!! I haven't had any weight gain or acne symptoms that everyone talks about in their reviews. I bled for maybe three days after the procedure and haven't had a period since. The procedure sucks but its bearable. It felt like intense cramping for maybe a minute then it's over. I suggest taking 800mg of ibuprofen before and after because I did have cramps and dizziness for the whole day. I switched to mirena from oral BC because oral BC made me absolutely crazy (crying at every little thing, irrational, emotional, blowing up at people for no reason, ect) ladies DON'T LET THE REVIEWS SCARE YOU because every body reacts differently.. you truly have to try it out for yourself!!"

Sami Jo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had hair loss and lack of appetite when I had Mirena. I always felt sick. When I got it out I had delayed return of fertility for 3.5 years."

Heybaby458 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Mirena caused severe cramping 4 days a week, an inflamed cervix, and caused weight gain. Doc kept saying I was just adjusting. After 1.5 years I got it out and feel so much better. Seriously consider how this can affect your health."

Notforme September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was really excited for Mirena because I suffer from seveer cramps and a very heavy period. This definitely helps that. But my period was irregular, showed up for 2 weeks at a time sometimes, every other week, after sex....there was no rhyme or reason and incredibly annoying. I also had other symptoms that I did not link to Mirena initially until I started doing research and it all made sense. Depression and anger slowly crept in. I chalked it up to being exhausted all the time (another symptom) and not having patience now that I had 2 kids instead of 1. Terrible mood swings. I gained 30 pounds. I always had acne on my chin. My hair thinned terribly. Again, I thought these were from having another baby, but 2 1/2 years later & its the same"

Lyn31 September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yes, it was quite painful to insert even with two Tyleno-3 tablets and a numbing gel, however totally worth it as birth control. But... I've gained 60 pounds in 8 months! I'm eating very clean - no sugar, no junk food, barely any carbs and I'm a heifer now!!! Going to my gynecologist tomorrow and getting it removed, I can't deal with this anymore!"

SmithandCult August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DON'T GET THE MIRENA IUD. I wanted to love the Mirena, I really did. I'm 23, no kids & wanted a low maintaince birth control. Insertion & initial cramping were pretty bad but thats normal. I liked my IUD for the first year or so. Didn't gain weight like I did on the pill & no real side effects. But my love for the IUD turned to hatred when I discovered it had given me an OVARIAN CYST. I started having an excruciating pain deep in my abdomen. The pain was right next to my hip bone and was unlike ANY pain I've ever had. It would radiate down my leg & up my back. Some days I couldn't even stand up or go to work. Finally got an ultrasound and discovered it was a cyst so now its out and I feel SO much better. Please don't get the Mirena!!"

lizzlee56 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My mirena was inserted less than a month ago. The side effects were okay initially with the cramping. I did have spasms in my rectal area. I had a follow up to check for the strings and the strings could not be found. An ultrasound was completed and the IUD was found out of place. I had to get an x-ray as well to confirm the position. Now I have to have outpatient surgery to get it removed. I hoped that I wouldn't have to go through this. But I guess that I may have been at a higher risk since I'm nursing. I will not use this again."

Elaine C (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to suffer from extremely heavy periods and cramping that interfered with my daily life. I would have to take time off work, rearrange my entire schedule and in general have an awful time with PMS before my period. Since getting my Mirena, I have had NONE of those symptoms. I finally can live my life without worry that my period will interrupt it. I do not get a period and I do not have any PMS symptoms. It's clear to me that Mirena changed my life for the better."

valhallasdoor August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After having my first child, I decided to try a long-term method of birth control. I was open to the IUD but very scared about the insertion. I went to planned parenthood and loved their customer service. They gave me pain medicine before insertion which I was VERY happy about! I felt only a little pressure when the nurse inserted it and no pain at all afterwards. It has now been almost 5 months since the insertion and I have yet to get a period. Do not know what to expect but am so far very pleased with my decision! Would definitely recommend! STOP reading reviews! I did and I got super scared and almost didn't go through with it. Every body is different but recommend you carry pain meds w you if worried about pain during procedure"

Karina, 18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my Mirena in for only a month- I seemed to be adjusting fine with normal spotting 3 weeks after, cramping only the first 42 hours it was in (until my next period came) BUT I happened to go to the eye Dr. Where they diagnosed me with early stages of papilledimia, or swelling of the optic nerves due to excess cerebral spinal fluid built up in my brain. I have been experiencing all of the symptoms of a large brain tumor, while slowing going blind for the last month. I now need to see a brain specialist to make sure I'm not continuing to be effected even though I got the IUD removed- when caught early, the damage can be reversible. My Dr. Was not aware of this as a possible side effect."

Mrs Ray (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on my second Mirena. I had my first one fitted at my Post partum check up in 2007. I had it for 6 years. That's right, a year over the recommended and approved time frame. The first time insertion was not painful. Periods stopped after a year. When I had it removed, my doctor at the time refused to give me another one (different doctor than the one who inserted the first) and instead talked me into the Depo shot. After a miscarriage and extremely heavy periods and a doctor change I just had another Mirena placed a week ago. Insertion wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. I had no bleeding or spotting. Absolutely none. I cramped a little the first day, but none since. The Mirena isn't for everyone, but it has been a life saver for me!"

Eureka D August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Insertion was incredibly painful even with meds before hand. But it was quick. I have PCOS, I'm 41 and have been off balance hormonally and now I am feeling pretty great after a week with these hormones balancing me out. As for me, cramping, bloating and back pain are still there, although not as strong. Cervix is still a little raw but nothing some Motrin can't alleviate."

TRCS August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mirena has been the best birth control I've tried and I've tried them all! Yes insertion was painful and I did have a decently long time (about 3 months) where I would spot or bleed but after having it for 4 years now, I can honestly say it's so worth it. I have had no weight or mood changes, period completely stopped after the three month bleeding and ever since I've nearly forgot about it. My skin has always been oily so I can't blame it for that and I haven't experienced cramping, my ex said he could feel it but I think it was just because I had it inserted partway into our relationship and he was paranoid because my current boyfriend says he doesn't notice anything abnormal. I can't wait to get my new one!"

Klineb (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 18 and have never gave birth and was previously on the pill. I got mirena almost a month ago. My gynecologist gave me misoprostol to take 3 hours before the procedure and 600 mg of ibuprofen. The insertion was extremely painful for me, but the procedure only took about 10 minutes. After the procedure I had some cramping and a brown discharge for the rest of the day. The next day I woke up and felt great. Ever since I have not had any problems except for some bleeding the first 2 weeks which is normal and easily controlled by using a light pad. The insertion was very painful, but SO worth not worrying and about getting pregnant and taking the pill perfectly. If you can take a day of pain I recommend this full heartily. Mirena is awesome"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Spectulum was hugely painful, one of the worst pains I have ever felt to be honest. Insertion was not comparable to that for me but was quite uncomfortable. So far bleeding was for the first two days only, no cramps, no discomfort. A lot of checking there to figure out whether there was too much or too little wire sticking out so that has been a frightening thing. Breasts hurt like anything but so far definitely worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my 3rd device & I have had the mirena for over 13years. On my 3rd insert my gynaecologist asked if I have been depressed and I said yes thinking it was because I was working full time single mum and was tired. I finally had counselling and felt good again but after a few weeks I was drained. However during these years, I was deeply depressed and severe anxiety issues, on medication and after speaking to my female doctor we worked out it was the bloody MIRENA, all those years of feeling awful. Use Condoms instead, trust me it's not worth it. I am 41 & love being myself again."

Sparkles014568 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Do not get the mirena! It will ruin your life!"

TMILLR August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had it inserted a week ago. It was uncomfortable but not painful and it was a quick procedure. The doctor said to expect cramps. I have them, they are to the point they keep me awake at night. I'm hoping they go away soon or I may have to ask for a prescription for pain. I'm glad I don't have to take the pill anymore though."

No more kids (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just had this inserted recently, so I can't speak to the long term effects of it, but after reading a review on here from someone who claims the pain "isn't excruciating"... I beg to differ. I took 400mg of ibuprofen two hours before I was on the procedure table (in hindsight I should have taken 800mg). I am a 21yr old female who has never had children, with extremely light periods that last about 3 days (prior to having this inserted). I nearly passed out from insertion, I was hyperventilating with a death grip on the assistant's hand and she had to sit with me for about 10 minutes afterwards while I ate a banana and drank water because I couldn't feel my face and was still dizzy. Have someone on-call to drive you home."

Kegs August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All these awful reviews. I thought I'd share my positive experience. After lots of reading I decided to go with the mirena IUD. I was two months Post baby when I hard it inserted, for me I felt the speculum was more uncomfortable (10 weeks post baby) then the actual insertion. I didn't have any dizziness, I bleed for a couple days (but it was no more then a period), I also didn't need to take any pain meds, I have no weight gain or change in my skin. Since my period hadn't come back at that point I only had the couple days of bleeding. I'm 2 years into having my IUD and I haven't had a period to date. I still feel like I get PMS from time to time and I've have had some lite bleeding on occasion. But it's been a great form of birth control."

LauraElizabethS August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was scheduled to get my mirena IUD, so like most of you on the site, I did my research and read every review possible! I freaked myself out bad. So my appointment comes around and I was sitting on the bed shaking with fear. My doctor comes in and gets me prepped and begins the insertion process. During the whole process I didn't even feel hardly anything. It felt like a child was sitting on my lower abdomen, didn't even hurt, it was just pressure. Easy and very very tolerable pressure. When I got home I just took a midol with some Ibuprofen and I was set for the whole night. The next day I had mild cramps but it wasn't bad. I spotted for 3 weeks and thats it! I am now period free! *recommend you are on your period when you get it inserted"

Amcmike August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely love the Mirena! I got it put in when I was 19 years old. I had numbing shots prior to insertion. I didn't find it to be painful at all. I've now had it for a little over 2 years and I can't believe it's still good for 3 more! When my 5 years are up I'll definitely get it again. It's completely stopped periods and been very effective against pregnancy. I do occasionally get cramps still, but I had those prior so I'm not sure Mirena is to blame. This has worked wonders for me!"

Works so well! (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017