User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 256 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I see a lot of reviews about the initial placement being painful, but I honestly did not a feel a thing! My doc talked me through it, counted 3 potential cramps. But I didn't feel any until immediately after & it felt no worse than period cramps. They lasted for about an hour. Then had a migraine for the rest of the day. Bled lightly. Day 2 & I have no complaints. Bleeding even ceased. I'm gonna do my best to push through any side effects, better than being pregnant again! Will post updates."

3kidzforNow May 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had it 5 months now, and I am getting it out next week. I've had some CRAZY side effects on this thing, the doctor swears it's local hormone release so Mirena can't be the problem, but its the only thing that's changed in my life. Insertion sucked but it wasn't unbearable, I had severe cramping after insertion. Since I've been on it I've had a decrease/change in libido, continual spotting, almost constant cramping, headaches every day, mood swings, increased levels of depression, a ridiculous flare up in acne, lower back pain, and achy/dry eyes (I wear contact lenses and I've never had this problem until the IUD). Doctor did not discuss any potential side effects with me before inserting."

vicnick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience has been horrible I've had it in for 5 months and haven't stopped​ bleeding I wouldn't recommend anyone to ever get the mirena and the cramps hurt so bad in my stomach and in my back"

Andrea2017 May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First one worked fine, no periods and no pregnancys! 2nd one fitted!!! OMG I felt like I was losing it! I eventually worked out that my anxiety was linked to it! Had it taken out and ended up having 12 months of counselling. Always been a bit of a worrier but the mirena sent it to a whole new level!! Never again. I now know of 2 other people who experienced similar issues."

Fjb58 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a horrific experience with the mirena. The insertion was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. It was absolutely horrific. I was covered in sweat and I almost lost consciousness from the pain. The following 2 days, I took 3 ibuprofen every 6 hours and I was still in so much pain that I could hardly bear to eat. I knew I needed a stronger pain med but had no confidence I could drive myself to the doctor's office. 3 months later, I had my first panic attack completely unprovoked. I've had anxiety since then, and horrific, severe acne unlike anything I've ever had. Removal was just as painful. The strings were cut too short so I need to get it surgically removed under general anesthesia next week. I can't wait. I've had it for 5 mo"

Clarac123 May 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was 45 when I had the mirena coil inserted. I'd never had children so it was painful but bearable. Everyone is different so just make sure you talk any concerns through with your GP. I had a very light period for first three months and occasional cramping but no worse than before I had the mirena inserted, after that I've had 4 and a half years period/cramp free. No side effects whatsoever. My 5 years are up so I'm due to have it removed. Have been told I'll experience the same level of discomfort in the removal so at least I know what to expect and it literally does only take a few minutes."

Alyn19 May 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had mirena for about 2 years before I decided enough was enough. I was bleeding for the first 2 weeks straight, but after that I never had any bleeding at all. It wasn't until after 6 months that I had severe acne, anxiety/depression, and had gained 20lbs when I had not changed my exercise routine or eating habits. I'm an Aesthetician and none of my remedies and practices could get rid of my acne. I had zero history of anxiety or depression. It became so bad I started to disconnect completely with my circle of friends. When I removed it, my doctor immediately put me on the pill again and Doctor was very annoyed that I had it removed. I immediately started to feel like myself again as soon as she pulled the strings out! Avoid this IUD."

hlightyear (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi there, I wanted to post a comment regarding this IUD due to the horror stories I have heard. First off, I gave birth 3 months ago to my first child and would love to have more someday but at the moment my husband and I are enjoying the 3 of us. I felt this form of birth control was ideal and worth while For our situation, however, I was not looking forward to the placement! Honestly, it was a bit uncomfortable, definitely the first 5 minutes or so after, 800 mg of ibuprofen and there is no more pain or acheyness... it wasn't that bad, no bleeding, cramping subsided 3 hrs later. All is good... so, fear not, it's not that bad- you can do it!"

Maeday May 3, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was excited to get it, but the insertion was very, VERY painful, even with local anesthesia. I bled for a long time and it was very uncomfortable to sit in certain positions. My periods were very different, with prolonged bleeding (not the short, sweet periods the advertisements promise). I also noticed that I had started to smell badly down there. I kept going to the doctor for it (the other doctor who cared for IUD patients, not MY doctor) and he kept telling me that it was a "bacterial imbalance" and not related to my IUD. It most certainly was because my cervix was always open from the string. This ceased after removal. Also, it does not prevent conception. It causes fertilized eggs to be discharged because they can't implant."

McHeidi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the mirena in for a little over 5 years. I spotted every now and then the first couple months but my doctor prescribed me estrogen to take for about a week to stop the bleeding. After that I was ok. I've never had problems with depression untIl about two years ago. I was low in energy, didn't want to do much and I gained 25lbs in the last year. My hair also started coming out. At first I thought the depression, hair loss, and weight gain was just me but after reading other comments I see that it wasn't. I just got mine removed today and it's such a relief. I'm going to give my body a rest to normalize itself before I opt for the pill which is what I had my doctor prescribe me."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the mirena placed in March 2014 6 weeks after my second child. Insertion was easy ( I had just had a baby) I spotted for about a month off and on but after that I would have light spotting for a day so light a pad or tampon would have been no use. Bled only about 3 or 4 times a year. Mirena was incredibly effective, loved the light/less periods I would almost say non existent BUT the mirena hated me. Horrible chin acne, constant bloating, couldn't lose weight at all and developed anxiety and depression to the point I hated myself. I had it removed yesterday and they couldn't find the strings, had to get an ultrasound and the IUD was at the fundus of my uterus so they had to shove a hook instrument through my cervix to top of my uterus"

Ncag (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Got the mirena a few months ago and so happy I did. I can't take birth control pills due to my medication, so my doctor said to get this. I had some cramps and spotted for almost 2 weeks and was nervous, but reading other people's sounded normal because your body isn't use to it yet. After that it's been good, no pain and really small periods. I know sometimes the symptoms can really suck but I'd rather those then be pregnant so I recommend to all."

Sara H (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got Mirena inserted 2.5 years ago. The insertion was slightly painful but I'm good with pain. It wasn't till I left my doctors that I felt sharp cramps, which only lasted a day. At first I loved Mirena. I honestly can't take anyone's experience with Mirena less than a year seriously. That's because the first year of me having it I too thought it was amazing. No having to worry about the pill everyday, no bleeding, no pregnancy ! It was amazing, until about 9 months in. I started to get severe hormonal chin acne, mood swings, hair loss and dryness. I got my first BV infections, and the worst yeast infections. My sex drive is non existing anymore so that birth control within it own! Biggest factor was how crazy it's made me."

Lizard lady April 25, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm almost 23 I've had one child he was born at 27 weeks almost two years ago I got the IUD put in on the last day of my period (3 day periods) so I spotted for the next 4 days after that I spotted every other day one time a day for 6 days and now I've had it in for 16 days and no spotting. So I had 10 days of spotting (on and off) and so far I love it :)"

Tiffandnate April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The Mirena works great for most people. I am not one of them. My hair came out in clumps in the shower. I had the Mirena for 2 years and gained 15lbs. I've never had an issue with weight and always have had a very fast metabolism. I figured my metabolism was slowing down (Mid-twenties), and that I would need to eat better and exercise. I got my Mirena removed exactly one week ago and have lost 6lbs and have changed absolutely nothing! All the weight I gained with Mirena seemed to go to my stomach. I looked 3-4 months pregnant everyday. My depression got worse. I was so out of energy everyday. I was itching my skin off everyday - pretty sure I had a combo of hives and eczema. Feeling better, skin's clearing and weight's down."

bmoran2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi, I need some advice. I'm 20 years old and I've never been pregnant, I had the mirena coil fitted about 3 weeks ago, the procedure didn't go so well and the doctor had to dilate my cervix as she wasn't able to place the coil. It's been 3 weeks now and me and my partner are starting to have sex again but I'm feeling slight discomfort and a little pain, has anyone else felt this and if so is it normal?"

Mikaela b (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had very little issue with insertion and mild cramps after. NOTE: BREATHE!!! Can't stress enough. Thankfully I have an excellent doctor who coached me thru. I had taken ibuprofen before, and took the cervix softener (whatever it's called) about 8 hours prior. She also numbed with lidocaine. Very helpful so ask for it! When breathing ask for the doc to tell u when insertion is happening. Take deep breath right before and out. That way the cervix will open to allow for easy insertion. Otherwise it's more so forced and the after pain is greater. There's a connection between our jaws and cervix. So don't hold your breath or bite down but breath thru so less pain. Barely any cramps the following days."

JAM41 April 14, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Mirena was highly recommended to me by my doctor. I asked a few friends of mine who were already on mirena and they had nothing but positive reviews of it. I have had heavy painful periods ever since puberty and I was horrible at taking the pills. I eventually went off the pill because it was effecting my hormone level way too much and did nothing to ease my pain or heaviness of my period. Regardless of taking ibuprofen before having the IUD inserted as well as taking a prescribed misoprostol to relax my cervix, the pain was unbearable, I have an extremely good pain tolerance, but I ended up fainting afterwards in my doctors office. The pain that night was so bad even T3's didn't help. Otherwise I have had no spotting or bleeding."

Mel E U (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Meh, I like it for the sheer convenience factor. In 1 year, I've gained 60lbs with and w/o dieting. I, in my late 30s, have reentered puberty (maybe menopause) with the new found acne and mood swings. Cramps are here and there, severe as they may be, they're not the worst side effect. I'm very arthritic now, some joints are crippling to try and use. Hot flashes suck, although I saved a fortune on heating this winter. Acid reflux was increased. My hair is super brittle and dry now. Now for the plus side. I DO NOT bleed anymore :) I may decide to suffer through on that alone. It has helped my depression and anxiety, so much that I have been able to almost wean off the antidepressants. I love the shelf life of five years too."

Dac20190 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For me, Mirena has been the perfect birth control option. I take a number of other medications, so a pill might have interacted with them. I gave Mirena a shot and could not be happier! You don't have to think about anything! Insertion is painful, but worth it. Give it a try! If you're not happy, your doctor can certainly take it out!"

HokieBaby (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I first started researching the Mirena when my Dr suggested it so me because I sucked at taking the pill everyday, had terribly painful and heavy periods, and I had no sexual desire at all. After reading everything online I was very nervous about the insertion and I almost backed out last minute. Getting it in was very, very painful for me. The cramps were next to unbearable. I missed the next day of school and work because I was in so much pain. After about the 4th day, the pain and cramps finally started to subside. I bled for about 3 months after. Nothing that a simple panty liner didn't take care of. It was always just light spotting. I am so glad I kept it because it is almost a year later and I love it. I would recommend to anyone."

ehc April 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was nervous to get Mirena after reading reviews, but my doc strongly encouraged for medical reasons. About 3.5 months ago I got the IUD inserted. While I survived, I'm still haunted by how painful it was. There was a slight complication (apparently my uterus was tilted so the 1st attempt at insertion failed & she had to give me a numbing shot IN THE VAG & adjust my uterus) the 2nd attempt succeeded but the cramps were so intense. Cramps lasted 2 days & I bled for 2 weeks straight. After that my period came normal but lasted a couple days extra. My last period was slightly lighter than usual so I'm hoping it drops off soon. So far it's been worth the pain bc periods are more bearable, it's super effective & nice to not worry about a pill"

Lyd. R. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Bad side effects! I'm 20 years old and have not had kids and got the mirena due to heavy periods, this was 2 years ago now. Getting it inserted was so painful I was traumatised by the experience. However I have not had a period or spotting in 2 years. Downfall I developed acne, depression, anxiety and horrible mood swings. More recently I got BV (bacterial vaginosis) (horrible smell down there) antibiotics as well as creams are not getting rid of this reoccurring for 4 months and now after some serious thinking I'll be getting the IUD removed as the side effects are not worth it anymore! I can't wait to get it out and start feeling like myself again. I hope the removal doesn't hurt as bad! Do your research."

Michellee06 April 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Other than being effective in preventing pregnancy, the side effects I experienced with the Mirena were not enjoyable. I really liked the idea that it was a local hormone as opposed to a systemic hormone (only puts the hormones into your reproductive organs instead of throughout the entire body which is what the pill did), and the convenience of not having to take a pill every day was the biggest positive! However, due to the hormones being local, I noticed the positive benefits I experience with the pill such as not getting acne, came back. My skin got really bad. Also, I ended up getting my period more frequently, for longer periods, as well as had spotting in between periods for the entire 2 years of having my IUD I got it removed."

UnpleasedUser1234 April 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the mirena inserted 4 days ago now, I decided to get the mirena as I have very very painful period cramps and I had recently moved to a new area and getting the pill was a nightmare. The insertion for me was very very painful, the doctor had to dilate my cervix so it made the cramping even worse, the pain was so bad that I was actually sick. However I'm still experiencing bad cramping days later. I won't say at the moment if I hate it or not as it's been only a couple of days but i hope the cramping stops soon!"

Mikaela b April 3, 2017