User Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Mirena has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 1704 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 53% of those users who reviewed Mirena reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Mirena Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena

Kia May 4, 2021

“I have had 2 Mirena's placed the 1st was inserted incorrectly caused a moderate amount of cramping and an ovarian cyst that dissolved on it's own. I had the one removed about a 4 months later and immediately got pregnant with my son. About a year after he was born I had my 2nd Mirena placed and had no issues with placement. The first month I had a mild headache and mild spotting daily. Year 2, at best I had 2 irregular periods a year. Year 3 & 4 the depression started to set in, suicidal thoughts came as well. I just had mine removed about a week ago and I feel like a dark cloud has been removed. I made it to 4 years and 8 months, but I decided enough was enough with feeling like that. I do not take any daily medications that could have caused an interaction either. I mentioned to my doctor upon removal that depression was my sole reason for removing the IUD early and she says to "just monitor" my thoughts going forward.”

KC · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2021

“Let me tell you I was terrified after reading the horrific reviews about Mirena, I can only say that I got it about 2 hours ago and it was so painful for me, I got it on my second day of menstruation and took the medicine I was prescribed to take a night before and in the morning before Mirena. I am not sure if its less painful for women who have given natural birth, but I had a c-section because I didn't dilate enough, so I had to get emergency c section. My experience during insertion was so painful after insertion I felt dizzy, hot , nauseous, almost felt like a panic attack. I had to sit and wait for 15 mins approx to be able to walk and drive home. After 30 mins I would say my cramps got better, almost no pain I feel good. I hope I get a good experience with Mirena from now on”

AJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 29, 2021

“Had a Mirena inserted as birth control after a miscarraige upon recommendation by my hospital. Prior to this I had very regular, light periods. Instantly had issues with the Mirena, caused irregular bleeding, heavy bleeding, lots of discharge and generally problematic. Had the Mirena out 8 months after having it in as the complications and erratic bleeding was unbearable. It has been 3 years since taking the Mirena out and I now seem unable to get pregnant agent. My cycle has never returned to normal, oscillating between 3 weeks to 10 weeks. I warn any woman who wants to have a baby do NOT get this device. I am thoroughly devastated and wish someone would have told me my periods would never return to normal. Note - this is after multiple returns to the hospital and assurances every time 'it will take some time but it wont be long'.”

Mirena IUD April 1, 2009

“I have had my IUD for over a year now and I think it's the best thing ever. When I first got it put in I only bled for about a week with a little cramping. After that nothing at all. I haven't had a period for about 8months until I finally got one, and its not bad at all. It's light, no cramping, no headache, nothing. I haven't gained weight, my acne is gone, and my moods are fine. I know all women are different, but I just hear all these horror stories and I just wanted to tell my story, which is a good one. Hope it calms some of your fears.”

lisalor1 December 21, 2020

“I wanted to come back here and write a review because before I got the Mirena I was reading all of these, although aware that people are more inclined to write about their horror stories rather than their happy stories. So here is my happy story! I was using the ring for a couple years before I tried Mirena. The ring made me miserable, hormonal, moody, irregular. I was very depressed from the fluctuating hormones. In comes Mirena. The Mirena has been the best choice I have ever made for myself. It is true what all my friends and reviewers say. I do not feel hormonal or moody. In fact I feel much more balanced! My skin does break out at times but I will happily take that over what I was experiencing before. My periods have stopped and I sometimes pms about a week before what WOULD be my period, but it is very mild and manageable. Sooo happy with my Mirena!!! I was scared just like you and it was the best choice I made for myself.”

Anonymous May 7, 2010

“I have had this for about 5 months now.. I had NO IDEA others were going through the same things I am... I am tired, moody and have gained about 25 lbs.. I have been working out more and couldn't figure out what was going on until now. I am dry during sex, not in the mood most of the time. Acne has been pretty bad, didn't know why that was either (don't usually have acne). For a few weeks now my body feels like it is pregnant. The moods, tired, etc.... but all tests say not pregnant. It makes me uncomfortable to have so many things going on.”

Anonymous October 1, 2008

“I love my Mirena. I've recommended it to several friends. I'm 43 and have 2 kids and wanted something to simplify my life. Insertion was not at all painful or even uncomfortable. I had some spoting continuously for about 3 weeks, but since then I haven't had my period (2 years). I have no side effects at all, and I love NOT getting my period. No cramping, mood swings, PMS, heavy bleeding, not to mention all the dollars saved on NOT buying outrageously expensive tampons and pads. I have never been so happy with a product of this nature. Much better than the pill and that awful sponge, messy diaphragm and horrid condoms!”

Justjessica · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2020

“I have issues with hormones any time I have been pregnant or been on birth control I get every bad side effect possible. I was hopeful for this one. I had it in for a month and had severe headaches, cystic acne (literally all over my face & no wash would make it go away) constantly felt light headed/dizzy, nauseous, zero sex drive, horrible mood swings, my period lasted 12 days and I was constantly bleeding, horrible stomach pains randomly when I moved certain ways. This medication made my anxiety & depression worse. So bad that I couldn’t be around my 4 year old son because I’d get so anxious if have a panic attack. One day at three weeks of having it in I had such a bad panic attack over literally nothing I had to lay down in a dark room with a fan on me, got so worked up I passed out. Do your research there are a lot of harmful things that can happen when being on the Mirena IUD that they don’t tell you at the doctor. Do your research!!!”

CoffeeCatz · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

“Hi sisters. This is my review only of the insertion, as I just had the Mirena put in 2 hours ago. Before the appointment, I took the recommended Motrin, Ativan (to calm my nerves) and the medication that softens your cervix, which my gyno was kind enough to prescribe for me to hopefully make the insertion process smoother. The entire process took no more than 5 minutes. It felt like a slightly longer pap exam, with more pressure than usual. I didn’t cramp, I didn’t yelp in pain, and I didn’t pass out or feel sick. What got me through my anxiety was taking deep breaths. It was not excruciating as I expected it to be, since I have never given birth (I’m 40, btw). Here’s hoping this device works for me and agrees with my body. I had been on the pill for over 20 years, and I look forward to not having to take them every day. I’ll report back in a few months with an update. Good luck to all of you ladies. Do what is best for you.”

OB Nurse October 22, 2009

“I am an OB nurse, married with two children ages six and three. I chose the Mirena after suffering severe migraines on the pill. I interviewed several OB doctors at my job and my pregnant patients about their form of birth control prior to their pregnancy and decided to give the Mirena a try.I had the Mirena inserted in early May. Insertion process was very painful.It reminded me much of mild labor contractions. After the insertion, I had mild cramps for the remainder of the day. For three weeks thereafter, I experience light spotting and wore a pantyliner. For the next four months, I would spot beginning the same day each month for a week followed by a regular light period two weeks after the spotting subsided. It is now five months after insertion and I did spot for less time but no period came. Rather, I experience symptoms of bloating and increased appetite as if my period is going to start but without the period. I am most happy to report NO migraines and I lost weight! My mood and libido has remained the same. I cannot feel the string I was instructed to check for monthly, and no complaints from my husband. I did experience some hair loss and noticed my complexion is not as clear, but overall, I am satisfied with the Mirena and recommend woman to try it especially if you want a low maintenance birth control method.”

Shell June 6, 2020

“I got the Mirena IUD placed 7 weeks after my second son was born. I heard good things about it from the girls I worked with. They told me they loved it. Placement was pretty painful, even though I just have birth 7 weeks Prior to it. I bled constantly for 2 in a half months After that the bleeding only happened when my monthly flow was coming. When it came it was pretty heavy and would last 7-8 days. My periods were right on schedule monthly . Then I started feeling fatigue, anxiety, massive mood swings, depression, insomnia. I had to push myself to get out of bed and take care of my children. Around month 9 I started getting blurred vision. I had blurred vision when I was on the pill after my first child was born. I knew it was the IUD causing all this. I had it removed 2 days ago. Spotted a little after removal. But now have a full on heavy flow. My mood has changed a lot already. I’m calmer like I used to be. Not 100% back to myself yet, but removing it was the best thing I did.”

JM August 20, 2020

“I have had the Mirena in for for nearly 2 years. Was ok for first few months odd cramp here and there. 6 months after insertion got my first (of many) bacterial infections. Cramps, pain during sex, brown smelly discharge. Always cleared up with flagyl and cream. I can’t even count how many I have had since then. It’s awful. I have 0 sex drive which makes my partner and me feel awful. Every time I get spotting always puts fear in me that it could be something more sinister which always escalates my anxiety. Have made an appointment to get it removed, as I can't live like this anymore.”

Anonymous June 21, 2009

“I'm 22 years old and have two little boys. My husband says he hopes to one day have a girl so I figured 5 years should be enough time to decide. I got the Mirena last year and the only side effect I had was hair loss but I'm not quite sure if it was the Mirena or from just having another baby. But other than that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I have been reading all these reviews and they were almost all negative I was wondering if something was wrong with me. Since I got the Mirena last year I lost weight, no more cramps, lightened periods, and a better sex drive (probably because I don't have to worry if I'm going to get pregnant), I feel safe. So would I recommend the Mirena, YES.”

S · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2020

“The Mirena seemed like a great option for me as I had negative experiences with other forms of birth control. Insertion was fine but I had severe cramping for a few days after. My moods were up and down for the first few months and I wanted to have it removed but my doctor recommended to try it for 6 months. It has now been 6 months and my mental health is the worst it has ever been. I'm constantly on the verge of tears and cannot cope with everyday life. I have a history of anxiety but I've never felt this low. I would not recommend the Mirena if you are sensitive to other birth controls (pill, implanon). I still have bad cramps on the Mirena and my periods are heavier. Can't wait to have it removed!”

Callie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2020

“I am a nurse practitioner working in women's health, so I thought I knew what to expect when I had my Mirena placed 3 months ago. I was WRONG! I have had bleeding every single day since insertion - occasionally just spotting but most days I have light-to-moderate bleeding like the final couple days of a period. I do not have cramps, and I have had an ultrasound to ensure proper device placement. I know that irregular bleeding is common in the first few months of use, but I did not expect the bleeding to be this persistent or this heavy. I am going to give it a few more months to see if the bleeding resolves; if it does not, I may have to get the Mirena removed.”

Victoria · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 31, 2021

“I’ve had Mirena for 8 years. The first one was for 3 years and I’m 5 years into my second one. I wouldn’t ever go back to oral birth-control. My emotions became much more stable, my periods become less heavy and I never gained weight or suffered any adverse effects. As someone going into my 30’s and not planning on having kids soon, I’m so glad I found and decided to use Mirena.”

Lauren (18 year old) · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2021

“I have tried pill after pill and each time I am left feeling depressed, anxious, and not myself. The last pill I took left me feeling out of whack for 3 months after stopping. After that, I decided it was time to look for a different form of birth control. I was recommended the Mirena IUD. I was absolutely terrified and worried that I would feel out of body again. Hate to break it the news to you, the insertion was pretty painful, but let me tell you, so worth it. I have now had my IUD for about a month. I feel perfectly fine, nothing painful or odd. My first period with the IUD was completely manageable, minor cramps at most. I feel protected, comfortable, and most importantly, myself. Again, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. But I would seriously recommend the Mirena.”

JoMel · Taken for 10 years or more August 26, 2020

“Had Mirena twice after my son was born in 2007 (one for 5yrs and the other one was past due and was removed after 8yrs) never got pregnant even after the 5 year mark (don't recommend though). During Mirena I had absolutely no issues. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. No period on site, never got pregnant. June 4th 2020 I decided to have Mirena removed because I was ready to have another baby. Doctor advised for me to wait until first full menstrual period to conceive, but I did not wait. Oops. :) they say should take 6 months to a 1 year to get pregnant after Mirena removal but turns out today is Aug 25th and I am now 10 weeks pregnant. I am 35yrs old (that delicate age) and I can say that I am a truly believer of this contraceptive. It is true; might not be for everyone but it sure did work for me. 100% recommend.”

Mama2929 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2019

“I had the Mirena placed three months ago. The insertion was painful, I won’t fabricate that, but it only lasted at most 12 seconds and it was over. I took both Tylenol and Advil before my appointment and that seemed to help a bit. The more uncomfortable/painful cramping lasted less than 24 hours after my appointment. I took the day off of work which I am glad I did. The first 2/3 weeks after I had it placed I had no bleeding or spotting. I had medium spotting for 2 months on and off after, I just usually wore a liner. Bleeding lasted a few days and would be inconsistent. The third month the spotting was extremely light and would occur 1-2x per week. My hormones seem to be actually really well balanced. I experienced some neck acne for the first 2 months but that did subside. I haven’t gained or lost any weight. My sex drive is unchanged. I’ve read plenty of horror stories on the internet in regards to this method, so I thought I would throw in a positive one.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 14, 2021

“I am writing this review after a lawsuit I had with Bayer Bayer over the issues I had with Mirena. Long story short, it had perforated my uterus, and got caught up in my intestines requiring an emergency surgery to have it removed. This happened after 3 years from insertion. I do not recommend anyone to get this IUD!”

RR April 23, 2021

“I had the Mirena for 5 years. Year 1-2 was pretty numb and foggy minded. I lost 15-20 pounds, how ever I was highly active. Still spotted. Year 3 depression hit, suicidal thoughts which scared me and led to do more research and found so many forums like this to give a story. Year 4-5 I got control of my mental health, the numbness was slowly going away, but still didn't have control over my feelings at this point climax during sex was non existent, sex drive was still there and periods were completely gone. Putting it on was painful and felt cramps for 3 days. The first doctor I went to needed to surgically remove it, but the second doctor took it out with out an issue zero pain no side effects and I started my period for the first time in 4 years on time. Huge pro ZERO kids, I was able to plan my life accordingly. Zero periods were cool. It felt 110% effective. Note: If you get on the IUD please note down all side effect symptoms and focus on your mental health”

Sherry · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2020

“Soon after I had Mirena inserted I began getting migraines and episodes of dizziness. I stuck it out since I was relieved to finally not have incredibly painful, heavy periods. Aside from developing some cystic acne and those occasional migraines/dizzy episodes things were going relatively okay. 9 months later I started to develop panic attacks and extreme anxiety. I have a dull headache every day. I am dizzy nearly all of the time, I have developed some facial hair and my hair is falling out of my scalp. I have insomnia. This is incredibly frustrating to me as my GP keeps writing it off as "general anxiety". I did not have these issues before Mirena. I was perviously incredibly active, adventurous and enjoyed cycling, jogging, hiking. Now I am afraid to do anything because of how dizzy I am and the intense anxiety I now experience. I just hope once I have this removed I can return to my normal self. I haven't felt like "me" in nearly a year and it is getting really tough.”

delainegirl August 9, 2009

“I'm 27 years old and the mother of two boys. I had the Mirena inserted one and a half years ago. The insertion was fine, mild cramping, but for the last year and a half I have experienced depression, bad acne, weight gain of about ten kilos, mood swings. Six months ago once my periods stopped altogether the symptoms got worse. I began having stomach cramps, nausea on most days, painful breasts and diminished libido and when it was supposed to be that time of the month my abdomen would bloat. I had Mirena removed last week and feel like a new person. I'm already losing weight and all the other symptoms have vanished.”

Anonymous September 24, 2010

“First off, I was 25 and childless. I had tried the pill, but I am a poor forgetful soul, and that was unacceptable. The patch left an icky mark that hurt my skin. I am married so we are beyond condoms. My Mirena insertion, a year and a half ago, was somewhat painful, so I took a nap. I had some cramps for the first two weeks, probably due to getting used to the hormones in the IUS. My first cycle afterward, the blood seemed thin and only lasted a few days. I have not had a period since. I really like Mirena because it's easy and I don't have to think about it. My sex drive is still great, and I don't have to pay every month for birth control. I just wanted to explain all of the side effects I experienced so others could be informed.”

proBC · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 14, 2019

“Just wanted to share my experience because I think it is really important to add that more often than not people post negative reviews rather than positive because they find it more necessary. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the reason I am posting my review. Please if you are considering birth control talk with your health care provider about what is best for your individual need. Anyways, I got the Mirena about 2 and a half years ago and I have NEVER looked back. I recommend it to all of my girlfriends. Yes there is some discomfort upon insertion but I haven't had my period in 2 and a half years! The amount of money and time and honestly just stress and emotions that I've saved make up for it ten-fold. I also did not gain weight, didn't get acne, and just overall have forgotten I've even had it. No period and no unwanted pregnancy with no side effects, I really couldn't think of a better scenario. I highly recommend if it's something you've been considering.”

Mommy of a 3 month old! September 12, 2008

“I love my Mirena. I had it inserted 4 weeks after my son was born. unfortunately I had to deliver him C section and he was my first child, so my cervix never dilated thus, the insertion of my Mirena was painful. For a couple weeks after I bled pretty heavily (but that could've been from his birth as well), and the bleeding stopped after about 4 weeks. I have not had a period (not even any spotting or cramping) yet and I am SUPER happy with that. I had horrible periods before. No side effects, weight gain, acne, etc, thus far (12 weeks later) despite the pain of insertion, I would do it 100 more times for the benefits. I would recommend Mirena to anyone.”

Khaye · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2020

“I had my IUD turning 2 years coming up February next yr. And now I experience a black discharge. It looks like a jelly but it’s color is black. I don’t know why I have this kind of discharge... Is it normal?”

jenny45 April 30, 2008

“I'm 22, have never been pregnant, and had my Mirena inserted ~3 weeks ago. Other than some slight cramping during and some moderately worse cramping later that day and for a few days after (nothing pain killers can't handle) it's been great! I used to have really heavy, really painful periods (which is why I went with Mirena over the paraguard) and though I was supposed to get my period the week after they put it in I haven't had anything but super light, almost non-existent spotting.”