User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I am 25 years old and have never been pregnant. Due to having migraines with aura, I needed an estrogen-free form of BC. I was on Depo Provera ('the shot') for 1.5 years and HATED it. I gained 20lb without changing my diet, spotted for a year straight with no breaks, and was an overall mess. Mirena was the obvious choice for me. Insertion was not fun (<5 min.) and the 2 hours after insertion I had awful period-like cramps. However, they subsided and by the end of the night, I was okay. The next morning, no pain! My spotting from the Depo even lifted. I have only been on Mirena less than a week, but so far I love it. My anxiety definitely made the insertion process worse, so try to relax."

Formerly on Depo August 22, 2016

"I got the mirena in Jan 2015 and had remove it by July 2015. As a contraceptive it worked. I used to be on the pill and I put on 20kg with it. I came off it and got the mirena and couldn't lose weight whilst on it. So although I didn't put weight on whilst on mirena, I feel like if I hadn't taken the pill before, the mirena prob would've been the culprit to make me put on weight. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, don't do it. The side effects I experienced: - spotting everyday/random periods completely irregular overall - bad headaches - extremely bloated - couldn't lose weight - moodiness and emotional - periods never went back to normal after mirena- they've been irregular for past year despite being hormone free!"

Alishab August 21, 2016

"I first started birth control around 2004, age 22. I tried the Pill, and all it did was make me spot and have periods that lasted for weeks- so I stopped using it. Then I tried the NuvaRing- that worked for about 3 months then the spotting started again. I then had no birth control until August of 2010. I wasn't sexually active- so didn't worry about it. I had been told when I first tried to get the IUD in 2004 that you can't have one unless you've had at least one child, so I gave up. It was either between Mirena or Paragard-since I have heavy menstrual cycles and cramps and PMS, I chose the Mirena. I had the first one in August of 2010 and my second one in September of 2015. I have had no bad experience with it- my periods are light"

Da5 August 21, 2016

"Ladies!!! Do yourself a favor and stop reading these. Everybody is different and we all have different insertion experiences. I just got mirena inserted this morning. I am 24 years old and I've never had a baby. I was extremely nervous, as this was my second attempt at inserting mirena. I went last week and my cervix was too tight so they sent me home with a prescription that was to be put in my vagina the next week before I go in again. The second time (this morning) was a lot easier. Yes, it does hurt a bit but nothing I couldn't handle. Honestly the worst part for me was the cramps afterwards. I had bad cramps for about 5 minutes and ended up throwing up. After that I felt much better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

"Just got marina inserted today. Was on bc for years tried pill patch etc. Hubby then got snip which failed but we are delighted with our little bundle of joy. Really did not know what to expect and was very nervous about insertion. I took ponston before hand and it did not hurt. Measurement went fine then when inserted felt something but very mild. Not like some reviews. So far so good but dont have it long enough to comment on side effects. Insertion not as bad as i expected. Will update in a few months time"

emma d August 17, 2016

"Got the iud for heavy periods. Has helped so much, very light periods now, some spotting. should've gotten the iud years ago!"

Krisgirl August 17, 2016

"I had Mirena inserted one week ago today. My family doctor, as well as a very rude OBGYN, were both not able to get it in. I went to a women's clinic and had it inserted by someone who does this all day every day. I was surprised by how quick and relatively painless it was - a small twinge of pain on insertion, not much else. The next day, 24 hours after insertion (almost to the minute) I had horrible, debilitating pain on my left side, down my leg and up my back. It's a foreign object in your body, so your body is going to try to expel it. I took Advil but eventually needed T3's to get rid of the pain. After a few days, the daily pains went away. I am still bleeding (had it inserted on day 2 of my period). Otherwise I feel great!"

CheeryCherry August 17, 2016

"For the most part I liked the mirena. The only problem I had with it that I see no one mentioning is that I had heavy discharge to the point of having to wear a pantiliner everyday or it looked like I wet myself. On the pill now and the discharge is normal again."

Trinia 85 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

"I´ve had my Mirena removed, after a year and a half with it, for almost a year now. From the beginning to the end it was a nightmare. My periods were endlessly, I was getting the shape of a balloon, my breasts were huge, I´ve had daily hives for a period, my fingers developped arthritis, it felt like my body was collapsing, always tired and in a weird mood. Nowadays, I am much better, my period is back to its normality....but the extra weight is still a problem...almost there!"

LetíciaMAL August 15, 2016

"I got the IUD a little over two months ago after searching forever for a birth control that has good side affects and doesn't make you gain weight. I haven't gained a single pound from being on it. My periods are have still come but they are super light and last about 3 days, they are also sporadic but I don't blame it too much since before my periods used to last 7 days and were sporadic anyways.I have little to no cramping and when I do cramp it lasts about 3 days and usually the 3 days I lightly bleed. Also every now and then I check for the strings and they are always there in place. The reason I am giving it 9/10 is because how many stories I hear about having to have surgery and it makes me stress about what if."

nic2154 August 14, 2016

"Had the mirena in 5 months now, okay so before I got that, periods would last sometimes 3 weeks at a time, and I'd be in pain most of the month .. so early days. . I had my mirena inserted at the same time as having a laparoscopy for endometriosis. . So I wasn't walking much that week anyway, and then my first two cycles (months) with the mirena the cramping was so bad it felt like I was being sawn in half with a chainsaw (no joke) but no blood or spotting whatsoever .. 5 months down the track.. no pain at all and no spotting and has been like that for the past 3 months.. reason for not giving mirena a perfect 10 is because I've definitely noticed extra hair growth.. but nothing tweezers can't fix.. but it is noticeable to me"

Izibella (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

"I had the birth control IUD mirena placed just after my six month check up after having my baby! No problem having it inserted but I do NOT recommend this to any breastfeeding mother! (Yes, every body and hormones are different for everyone) however, this almost completely dried up my milk not even a month into having it inserted! Thankfully I realized it in time and had it removed immediately and was able to get my milk supply back! Anyone who breastfeeds knows how hard it is in the first six weeks so I didn't want to give up what I worked so hard to get! Also, I felt it made me very moody and irritable all the time! Having it taken out was an extremely quick process and I never felt a thing! Always trust what your body is telling you!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2016

"Don't let all the negative comments scare you away, bad experience are much more likey to reported than good, everyone's body will react in their own unique way, and this is a great product if it works well with your body. Due to a family history of breast cancer I was given the choice between mirena and implanon which do not rely on estrogen. I have never had children so while the measuring of my uterus and placement of the IUD were near painless, the 2-3 days after were full of sever cramping. Before Mirena I had fairly heavy periods and these slowly became occasional spotting. I've had this for 4.5 years with no side effects that I've read about on here and I still have middle pain and all the symptoms of a period without the mess."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

"I've had the mirena for 2 months now I been bleeding the whole 2 months. It finally starting to lighten up. I have gain 15lbs and it makes me eat a lot. I had really good eating habits before I got this. I was thinking of another contraception but my doc told me give it sometime. I had pains in the beginning not anymore. If I could stop the weight I would be OK."

Lee86lee August 10, 2016

"I've had the mirena IUD in for 5 years now, so it's time to get it removed. I have LOVED using this form of birth control......once it's in, you're set for 5 years. I've had virtually no periods the whole time, except for an occasional light day. I would totally get another one if I wasn't contemplating having kids. I highly recommend this birth control method."

Hazel Roni (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2016

"Hello everyone, I got Mirena inserted 4 years ago as of this Nov 2016. It's been great. My period before Mirena was 9 days, set to a stopwatch, heavy, with cramping that made me vomit and pass out for several hours on a 28 day cycle. It was impending doom and very easy to track. Now my period is very sporadic. I just started a "cycle" 2 days ago with terror cramps and heavy flow, but last time i had this kind of period was 8 months ago. In between has been spotting or nothing. The negative reviews are really negative and the positive reviews are really positive. Everyone has a different body and it's hard to go off of reviews and see how yours will respond. Do your research and understand the risks. It was the best choice I've made %u263A"

Tazrazzimo289 August 7, 2016

"Had mirena put in at 6 week post partum check up as directed by doctor. Had lots of bleeding for 10 months. Abdominal pain was present talked to doctor said my body had to adjust. Then came the bloating it came and went along with the pain.. Intercourse was painful not to pleasent some times. Had 3 uti's while I had it in. My skin was in the most beautiful state before I started and dramatically changed.. My face became very oily and developed acne. My hair began to fall more than usual shedding. I had to go to the doctor because I couldn't feel it.. She ran ultrasound the strings were flipped. I had gained 30 lbs those 2 yrs. Right after I had it in even though I breastfed for the life it was in. Once I had remove all is getting better."

minnesota brunette August 3, 2016

"I received the Mirena today finally, I had been looking at the reviews and they wasn't good reviews so decided I was going to give it a try anyway. Everyone has different bodies along with different symptoms I went in an my doctor told me my uterus was tilted and I was going to feel a sharp pain which I did it felt like a huge cramp and it took the breath out of me but that's the only reason why it hurt that much was because my uterus was tilted other wise it wouldn't have been that sharp. I laid there for a min and got up I had cramps but the cramps stopped due to me taking ibprofen which helps a lot. I am bleeding which is normal and it's not heavy if you've had a child before and your epidural didn't help you can handle this pain."

BellaxGoddess August 2, 2016

"I've had 3 x Mirena's now. Love them. First 2 were great, no pain to get done, bled on/off for a couple of months then no bleeding for 5 years, no mood swings, perfect. I had one put in last October and was in excruciating pain that night. Doubled up in bed almost vomiting from pain. I have a high pain tolerance. It has settled down but have only had only a couple of days break here and there from bleeding. I never went back to my Gyno for my post check up which I should have done. I went to see my sisters Gyno last week and told him how I'd been having trouble so he checked and can't find iud. Going in for surgery Friday to get it removed and a new one done. Wouldn't be without one now. Advice - if not working how it should get it checked."

Sunshine4422 August 1, 2016

"Had it placed May 2015, minimal pain - a pinch and a menstrual-type cramp, and it was done! I had it removed July 2016. During those 14 months, I had no period whatsoever. No cramps, no PMS, no spotting. Never a discomfort at all! So why did I take it out? Within 3 weeks of insertion, I gained 12 pounds. My GYN said it had nothing to do with the mirena, I "just wasn't being honest" with myself about my food intake. The weight gain continued about 5 months and topped out at 35 pounds. I was exercising and monitoring my calories this whole time. My PCP put me on meds to lose weight, to no avail. It finally dawned on me that it must be the mirena, despite what my GYN says!! Had it not been for the weight gain, I would have kept mirena forever."

Pinkygirl176354 July 30, 2016

"Insertion was quite painful. Cramping, although no bleeding. No period at all for the first 6 months. My first period was about 5 days long & very light. But I gained 5 lbs since I got it. Food cravings are ridiculous and I recently developed an unbearable odor coming from my cervix. Monthly, I'm supposed to check the string to make sure mirena is still in place, and doing so after my first period, there was a thick white discharge that smelled sour and wouldn't go away even after douching daily. I got myself checked for an infection because it was accompanied by itching when it first started (no multiple partners) I thought it was a yeast infection, but I was clear; no infection at all. I think the bad outweighs the good for mirena."

Ali___ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 29, 2016

"Only reason why the Mirena gets a star is because I didn't get pregnant. Extreme pain on implantation, and I have a high pain tolerance. I experienced extreme dizziness, headaches, mood swings to the point of breaking down once a month, cystic acne, headaches, and extreme bleeding. Constant cervical irritation and bloating with no sex drive. Would never recommend it, even though it did its job. I was convinced it was misplaced based on the horrible constant symptoms. When I went to have it removed the nurse acted as if my symptoms were crazy, she had never heard such a thing and my IUD was placed "beautifully" and tried to convince me to keep it. I could have killed her. Final got it removed and back I'm back to being a healthy 28yo."

Cleighangotti (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2016

"Over the past 8 years I have tried almost every method of birth control. It started after having my baby boy in 09'. I selected to have the Mirena put in after realizing that the pills would be to constant for me. Within 6 months it had implanted into my wall and I had to have surgery to have it removed. (Painful process) over the next 6 years I had gone from using the pill to the shot and having three more children. I recently decided to asked my Doc about getting my tubes tied and he had suggested the Mirena for the second time. I was very apprehensive after he had mentioned it so of course I brought up my issue. I elected to have to it inserted and am now happier than ever. No issues so far and we're past the 6 month mark!"

Momma of four! July 27, 2016

"I just got my Mirena and could not be happier. I was apprehensive of the pain due to horror stories that seem to be everywhere. DO NOT BELIEVE THE FEAR! First of all, I have a male gynaecologist. If you're unsure about a male, have no fear! Mine was amazing and spoke frankly but honestly and really comforted me. I had been advised to take 15mg of Murelax and some ibprofen. Although I had taken the Murelax as directed (1 hour prior) my nerves were still extremely high. My gynaecologist, he said he would administer a local anaesthetic to my cervix. This really spiked my anxiety. The ENTIRE procedure was done in about 3 minutes. It was really a 2/10 "pain" and more discomfort. I've had appendicitis & the implanon. This was a walk in the park!"

AnnieeeBee (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

"I have had the mirena in since April 2015 and been in pain since it was put in and worse for the last 4 months. Finally got around to having an ultrasound only to find out it has broken and now penetrated the linning of my uterus. There is a 2 week wait at the hospital and thats just for the referral to be looked at. Also because of the irregular periods i now have polycystic ovaries. All of this will effect how i raise my son for the next few months as he has quadriplegic cerebral palsy so lifting him and attending to him daily will be effected. Do not get this form of contraception if you havent explored all the other possibilities."

Jumi27 July 27, 2016