User Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Mirena Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena

S · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2020

“The Mirena seemed like a great option for me as I had negative experiences with other forms of birth control. Insertion was fine but I had severe cramping for a few days after. My moods were up and down for the first few months and I wanted to have it removed but my doctor recommended to try it for 6 months. It has now been 6 months and my mental health is the worst it has ever been. I'm constantly on the verge of tears and cannot cope with everyday life. I have a history of anxiety but I've never felt this low. I would not recommend the Mirena if you are sensitive to other birth controls (pill, implanon). I still have bad cramps on the Mirena and my periods are heavier. Can't wait to have it removed!”

Shell June 6, 2020

“I got the Mirena IUD placed 7 weeks after my second son was born. I heard good things about it from the girls I worked with. They told me they loved it. Placement was pretty painful, even though I just have birth 7 weeks Prior to it. I bled constantly for 2 in a half months After that the bleeding only happened when my monthly flow was coming. When it came it was pretty heavy and would last 7-8 days. My periods were right on schedule monthly . Then I started feeling fatigue, anxiety, massive mood swings, depression, insomnia. I had to push myself to get out of bed and take care of my children. Around month 9 I started getting blurred vision. I had blurred vision when I was on the pill after my first child was born. I knew it was the IUD causing all this. I had it removed 2 days ago. Spotted a little after removal. But now have a full on heavy flow. My mood has changed a lot already. I’m calmer like I used to be. Not 100% back to myself yet, but removing it was the best thing I did.”

Lori · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 27, 2020

“Do not use Mirena if you want to conceive in the future. I had Mirena inserted for 2 years when I was 36 and my period never returned after removal at 38. Six months after removal I was told I was post menopausal! Two months after removal I experienced mood swings and rage. Pre-mirena I always had a regular 28-day cycle. Mirena was the biggest mistake.”

Mamaof2 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2020

“I do not recommend the IUD. It causes serious problems. For me, it caused weight gain, depression, abnormal bleeding, multiple infections, and it was so uncomfortable.”

Savannah February 25, 2020

“I got this IUD about 2 months after my second son was born December of 2017 . My husband said that he could feel pinching while we had intercourse. I go and get it checked and the dr said she would shorten the strings . I had ALL THE SYMPTOMS ( headaches, nausea, diarrhea, fever, cold chills , bloating , cramps ; but no period )This lasted for months and it happened around the time I should have gotten my period . I’ve had only spotting. . Well fast forward to YESTERDAY ( 2/24/2020) the dr says she CAN’T find the IUD and cannot even FEEL IT ! All was GREAT until she couldn’t find it ! I’m scheduled for an ultrasound next week to see if they can find it ! I actually enjoyed this birth control . Side effects because hey lets be honest this isn’t suppose to be in our bodies ! My periods basically completely stopped ! I just hope it didn’t embed itself .”

Luckygirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 25, 2020

“I got my Mirena placed in 2013, and it has literally been my best friend. It kind of hurt to get it in, but that was the ONLY thing that hasn’t been perfect since. No side effects, no babies. For unrelated medical reasons I’m getting it out soon and I’m actually sad that I have to switch to a different form of birth control, because it worked so well.”

Kath · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2020

“I had terrible cramps before the mirena. I got the 5 year mirena and it's been great. A very light period, no cramps and have not gotten pregnant for the last 14 years. It's been fantastic. I hope they have not changed the make up for my next time around.”

DRD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2020

“After 10 months I finally had my Mirena removed. I was having light bleeding more days than days of no bleeding. It was super frustrating and I just couldn’t wait any longer.”

Mama · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2020

“I had a great experience with mirena! Spotting maybe once every 3 months. No period for 5 years has been great. Insertion was easy because I had it inserted a month or so after having my 2nd kid. Now my 5 years are up and I’m due for it to be removed and a new one placed. My husband wants a vasectomy so we don’t have to worry about birth control anymore. I want the mirena because not having an period is wonderful. I had no side effects from mirena that bothered me or I was aware of.”

Please listen · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

“I had annoying but manageable adult acne until I went on Mirena. I had it removed after 5 weeks because the side effects and especially the ACNE were unbearable. I went from 1-3 pimples at a time to ~10 huge painful cystic bumps on EACH cheek. Even months later the acne wouldn’t go away. I had it removed in May and in November I had to go on Accutane which worked but is its own ordeal and takes at least 6 months. Now I use the pill + condom. Please trust me and find any other alternative besides this...”

Vena · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2020

“I'm 28 this year and I got my first Mirena inserted at the age of 21. After 5 years I got it removed and a new one put in a week after. I haven't had my period of 7 years. I don't have any major side effects apart from all the symptoms of getting my period (but nothing actually happening) also I find I'm more emotional. I've never had any pain or discomfort with this and I'm so glad that I have this.”

Trisha February 16, 2020

“I got the IUD put in on 01/24/2020 and had little to no bleeding. I had a lot of cramping and pain. My OBGYN whom placed it checked it and ensured its placement. The whole time I had uncomfortable pain and cramping to the point of tears. On 02/08/2020 My boyfriend finally took me get checked at the Urgent care. They stated that I had PID and BV. Due to getting my IUD. I was put on two antibiotics and further test were put on order. After taking the meds for one week, I still had pain and cramping at the same level when I first got it. However, I had developed a fever and nausea. The Urgent care doctor told me to go to the ER. At the ER they could not find my IUD imaging. They told me to follow up with my OBGYN and I still had PID and BV. I went to see my OBGYN the next day to find my IUD still inside me. When pulled out it had bacterial growth on it. Right after being taken out I felt better and the cramping stopped it. Please do not put this in your body!!!”

Javiana February 14, 2020

“Worst choice every wouldn't recommend to worst enemy. Got placed in August, and now it is February. I am still bleeding since the day it was placed. Ovarian-cyst caused by it. Pain from wearing pad day in and day out. Cost from buying pad/tampon to use daily, which in turn lately has off and on caused peeing to hurt from pad causing injury. Lost of interest in sex all good things. Now need to go to doctor on regular basis which cost money to get ultrasounds for that. Pain and discomfort want the stupid 'insert curse word here' out. Reason I was put on it was misdiagnosis from Nurse-practitioner who said because of epilepsy medication I was on would cause me to need an abortion if I became pregnant which was incorrect which annoyed the OBYN to no end. So it's the nurses fault I am where I am, Gave medical advice she had no bushiness giving as she clearly didn't have the knowledge to give. Sure before the thing I had heavy periods that needed double protection but at least it didn't last seven months strait and with other issues.”

Kitten · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

“I got Mirena implant in March. I was achy and crampy. My periods tapered off. Unfortunately the nausea and lack of appetite began. I had no desire to eat; food was unappealing. I lost 30 pounds in a little over two months. We started going to doctors; they said it’s stress and depression. We were afraid of cancer. I remained stable for about two months then lost another 10 pounds. I could not get any help from my HMO; they refused to say it was the implant. I decided to have it removed just short of six months. The weight loss stopped but the damage was done. The 40 pound loss triggered two rare syndromes called SMA and Nutcracker. I have a rough road ahead of me.”

Pam · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 12, 2020

“I’ve had the mirena almost 3 years. I can’t get this thing out fast enough! I’m scheduled to have removed tomorrow and switching to the Nuvaring. Honesty the best part was no period with only very slight spotting once a month. It did prevent pregnancy. About 6-8 months ago, I noticed a lot of symptoms like anger, depression, anxiety, excessive sweating, headaches lasting a week, but the WORST was hair loss. My hair became very brittle to the point I had to cut it short to blend in the breakage. I went to see my OB dr 2 weeks ago to get it removed and she didn’t seem to believe the mirena was causing these symptoms and refused to remove it until I get a 2nd opinion with a rheumatologist, which now I’m scheduled to see next week. My OB finally agreed to take the mirena out since my estrogen level came back very low. I’m just praying my hair starts to get back to normal with the nuvaring. I rate it 3 stars just because I loved no period.”

seeyanext · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2020

“I choose Mirena because with a little one at home, 3 dogs and working full time, remembering to take a pill wasn't going to work for me. I only been on it for a month and I freaking hate it. The process of putting it in was not terrible. But the cramping, constant spotting, bloating and let us not forget the acne. My face is breaking out like crazy. I have no sex drive what so over. I am going to give it another 2 months and if things don't get better I am getting off it.”

Hayles February 6, 2020

“Today I had the Marina put in for birth control. Worst experience ever. I was pre-warned that the insertion can often be painful for women who haven't had a baby & I was ok with that. Usually my pain threshold is high. It hurt to get in but I could handle that. Once it was in the cramps that followed were unbearable & caused instant nausea, the doctor told me the pain would last 48 hours before it settles. I waited about 10 mins & couldn't handle the pain anymore, I had to have it removed. The pain continued for about half an hour after that. The doctor said to come back after my next cycle & they could try again with a smaller IUD but I refused. There's no way I am going through that again.”

Sarah February 6, 2020

“I was talked into the Mirena by my OBGYN at 19 and it ended up being one of the biggest regrets of my life thus far. The insertion was painful but short-lived. A few months into having the IUD, I developed terrible acne. Something I’ve never experienced since I had been taking the generic version of Yaz starting at the age of 15. I went back to my OBGYN with complaints and she convinced me it wasn’t my Mirena to take more medicine (spironolactone) to fight my acne. And Within a month, my face was 70% cystic acne. I couldn’t go outside or act like a normal college student because of my severe insecurities. I still have some deep acne scaring 3 years later. Other side-effects I noticed with the implant: on one instance during intercourse, I felt immense pain that I assumed to have been my Mirena shifting. I went from a size B bra to an A with the Mirena. Now back on Yaz, I’m a size B again.”

Ally · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2020

“I had the Mirena put in, a couple weeks after my jeans felt tight. I weighed myself and I was 132 pounds! My original weight was 120lb. I’ve been at the same weight for years. It was no doubt the Mirena that made me gain weight. I had it taken out exactly one month after it was put in. It’s been about a week and a half and I’ve only lost 2 pounds. Ughhh I’m so mad at myself for getting the Mirena put in. Lots of dieting and exercise are in my future!”

Autman · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2020

“I have Mirena I UD for 2 years and I want this thing out. It has caused me to have a period every two weeks. Also horrible bad mood swings. I have tantrums and outbursts. It's awful. I'm also losing my hair. It has gotten so thin my dermatologist told me to start using Rogaine. I thought this would help me. Nope, quite the opposite. I have not experienced weight gain. Also hurt like heck to get it inserted.”

Westcoastgirl February 3, 2020

“I really wanted to love the Mirena because other BC haven't worked well for me and I liked how I didn't have to worry about taking any BC but I'm getting my Mirena removed in a few days after having it for 2 years. I held off removing it to see if things would improve but it haven't. Issues: - Random dizzy spells that goes on for a week or two. I've never have dizziness before getting the Mirena IUD inserted. - My boobs are so sore and sensitive 3 weeks of 4 every freaking month. - I would randomly bleed and in the past 6 months I've had period signs every two weeks. - I CAN feel it. I'm fed up with the rubbish that I am told that you "can't feel it". Yes. I can. It made sex uncomfortable, either feeling it move or sharp pain. It got to the point my body shut down from wanting sex because it was afraid of feeling that pain. My husband is on the bigger side and also he winches when hitting the string (yes I've had it trimmed to curve around my cervix). Would not recommend.”

KC · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 3, 2020

“The ONLY positive I can give you from my own experience with Mirena, is that it prevented pregnancy, made my cramps much less painful, and lightened my period. Now the negatives. Remember this is MY experience. 1. My period was lighter & shorter, however it came more often. Every 3 weeks instead of 4. I spotted probably 24-28 days a month. For over TWO YEARS. 2. My hair became dry and brittle, & I lost about a third of it. 3. My teeth began to rot. This is a side effect not mentioned when your doctor tells you about it, nor on the websites. But in my own searching online, I've seen this one come up a lot with other women. 4. My skin is dryer. 5. I don't get more breakouts, but the ones I do get are worse. Larger & more painful. In conclusion, yes Mirena works as a birth control. But do not forget there are several side effects that are always possible, and if you're like me you could be affected with more bad than good. I've had it removed for a week now and will not do it again.”

Fox · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 2, 2020

“Best thing I've ever done. On my second Mirena for 3 years now and I love it. Some people say its "the worst form of bc" sadly they have just had a bad experience and their bodies didn't adjust well to it. Everyones different”

As18 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 30, 2020

“The first 6 months with it I had constant cramping it was horrible don’t let them sugar coat it the pain will have you hunched over crying and unable to move, it eventually gets better. I know everybody’s different but I’ve gained 60 lbs since I’ve had It inserted I’m going on year 2 with it and I haven’t had a period since I got it. It does cause discomfort during intercourse **tmi** You’ll most likely have to find a certain position that doesn’t hurt you and stick with it every time. Overall it’s a good birth control, just like every other one they’re side effects to having it.”

In pain · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2020

“It was absolutely horrible. I gained a lot of weight and acne and I was in so much pain all the time and depressed. The Dr told me to wait it out when I continued to explain all the pain I was in and how much hair I was losing . It was like the Dr didn't care in any way to hear what I was saying. I have zero idea why they push it so hard on patients and really push for you to keep it in when you are telling them how bad it is . I finally had enough after 3 years told my Dr to get it put of me she went on how amazing it is for me and how it is helping with my pain from endometriosis. I stopped her in her tracks and said no take it put now - I have lived with it for 3 half years and it does not help. I am in so much pain all day every day and swelled out like I was 6 months pregnant. Oh my goodness when it came out all the pain went away instantly and the swelling did next morning .. Yes it helps with not getting prego but there is a lot of bad that comes with it ..”