User Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Mirena Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena

"I had Mirena for about a year and a half. For the first 6 months I spotted every day but had no periods/pain. After 6 months I had zero symptoms!!! It felt so perfect. I didn’t get my period until about a year in. At this time, I had my period 3 months in a row, very light and virtually painless. After that though it stopped. I still had bloating/cramps/ mood swings. Then the worst part. I had cramps every day randomly for about 2 months. I just recently had it removed because I couldn’t take it anymore. Altogether though, Mirena worked for me really well for about a year."

Bc (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2019

"The mirena is effective in the aspects of not getting pregnant, but the side effects are NOT good. Significant hair loss , depression, mood swings, loss in sex drive , pain during sex and after . I’m at the 2 year mark I can’t even believe how drastic the side effects are, the depression is the worst and sex drive is at zero, the pain from sex is on a scale 1-10 a hard 10 . Please consider alternative"

Comingunbiased (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2019

"I had my first mirena coil fitted just yesterday. I'm not due a period for a week so not the ideal time to fit. The Dr fitting it couldn't do anything at first because my cervix was spasming. I tried my hardest to relax it stopped spasming quickly and she was able to get on with it. I was concentrating on my breathing in anticipation of pain, I was still waiting for something to happen when they told me they were all done. I'd only felt a little cramping, it was totally painless. I have had two babies both straight forward deliveries which would have helped I'm sure. I was a little lightheaded immediately after and was told to take my time getting off the bed. I was soon feeling less wobbly and got dressed, took my paperwork etc and went home. I have had cramps, with occasional strong cramps that feel a lot like early labour pains, but they don't last long. I've had a small amount of spotting, pink and brown but only when wiping. Review for fitting and first few days only."

Mom02 (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

"I switched from the ring to an IUD due to the length of my periods. I had my IUD in for a year and a half and chose to get it removed due to it making my skin break out with cystic zits, acne, and scarring. The IUD also didn’t help me with the length of my periods, it still was 9-12 days for me. My doctor then prescribed me to a pill (Sprintec) that was a mixture of progesterone and estrogen to assist with the break outs and length and for four months now, my skin and length of cycle have changed drastically and now I can finally say I found a winner."

NotforMirEna (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2019

"I had my Mirena inserted today after putting it off for 2 years due to fear of the insertion pain. I have been through hell on 10-15 different BC pills. I took 800mg ibuprofen and 5mg of the anti-anxiety med Ambien (which my Dr. prescribed) 45 minutes before the insertion. My Dr. decided to insert it under sonogram guidance to ensure it was fit perfectly. The actual insertion pain lasted 45 seconds to 60 seconds tops. I would describe the pain as a 3-4 because it is so fast! It’s no worse than a muscle cramp, stubbing your toe, or any sort of pain we women endure often. After the insertion my Dr. did an internal sonogram to confirm it was fit perfectly. I have literally had no pain or cramping at all since insertion and feel as if it never even happened. I believe my success has to do with the medicines/sonogram guidance: so if you are nervous ask if your Dr. is open to these things! Just know everyone’s pain will be different and you never know until you try!"

*Insertion Only* March 12, 2019

"I had the IUD inserted 8 weeks after I had my second baby (10/2015) and had it in for 2 yrs (12/2017). The procedure lasted about 1/2 hr and I went to work on that same day right after that. My periods normally lasted about 4 days and sometimes there was some spotting after my periods. I didn’t lose or gained weight. I did lose so much hair but I don’t know if it was due to postpartum. It was about almost 2 yrs and definitely constantly losing hair made me think the IUD was the cause of it. Crampings were not so bad. I only got it removed because I was losing hair and since I had no partner there was no need to have it. I’m gonna give it another try and see what happens."

givingitanotherchance (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2019

"It stopped my periods all together but aged me by 20 years by EXTREME itchy skin and in 14 months I looked like Quasimodo. Eyes were swelling up and skin was crawling off my upper body and scalp. I don't know if the damage sustained on my eyes is reversible."

Dancing with Birds March 7, 2019

"I wanted to leave something positive in case others wanted to test Mirena out. Insertion didn't hurt me but the next day I had pretty big cramps. I had my period for a month straight after that. It wasn't painful just weird but they said its a normal side effect. Now I get light periods and some spotting. I don't think I have any mood swings, they were worse on the pill (for me at least) and I tried 3 different types of pills before the IUD. All I can say is I did have a cyst on my ovary which hurt a lot but I heard it’s normal and my 2 of my friends have had it and they don't have the IUD, the doc said sometimes your follicles become enlarged. I do still get cramps on my period though. No weight gain at all for me either. Only reason I didn' give a 10 is because of the long period at the beginning. I like the IUD, especially since I hate the pill."

Ashley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2019

"I had Mirena for 2 years. I had to get it removed today because it perforated by cervix. Very scary experience. The removal was slightly complicated but quick. I liked it because I did not have to take a pill everyday, however, this birth control made me gain 50 lbs in 2 years. I have been active but I would only gain not lose. Even when cutting my calorie count to 700 cals a day. I also, I do not like that my future fertility is in danger due to the perforation of my cervix. I do not think the ease of it was worth it. Additionally, I hardly ever had a period. That was a positive through out use."

stop233 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2019

"Had it almost 3 years. Insertion was the worse pain imaginable, I honestly almost passed out. Afterwards, I was on bed rest for the rest of the day with cramps that lasted a week. The first 3months I had some strange side effects. I would constantly get urinary tract infections and had to take cranberry/preventive pills to avoid them. My gums were always bleeding. Had brain fog, I would often forget what I was doing. And the first time I tried to have sex, approx a month after insertion, I actually started crying because it was so painful. So why didn't I remove it right away, well because getting put in was so awful I couldn't bare the idea of removing it. So I stayed on it, and the UTIs went away, so did the gum bleeding. And about 1year later I finally had sex again and it didn't hurt. A side effect I forgot to mention, was weight gain/bloating. In the 3 years I had gained approx 25lbs. When I removed it within a month I had lost 25lbs."

Socalgirl19 March 4, 2019

"I’ve had two Mirena IUDs. After two years of my first Mirena, my moods stabilized and I stopped menstruating completely. I had a second one put in place in 2017 and a month later, I had my first panic attack. I went to the ER thinking that I was dying from a heart attack. From there, I suffered monthly panic attacks and anxiety. Headaches, chest pain and pressure, nausea, and many other symptoms I blame on my Mirena IUD. Doctors need to stop believing all the research done by Pharma and start looking at the lawsuits. Mirena is fine for some women. It can also damage a significant percentage of those who try it. There needs to be more unbiased research done on Mirena side effects."

Momof4 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2019

"When I got mirena, I was supposed to get my period within a few days, but it just never came. It’s been a little over a year now and I still don’t have my period. Which is amazing. But, is that normal?"

Stacy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 3, 2019

"I got my IUD placed around 2 years ago and best decision ever! There's a bit of hate on the internet for the IUD but as someone who was depressed and anxious on the pill, the IUD has changed my life. I no longer get my period and have had no weird hormonal side effects from my Mirena. Only reason not 10 stars is because I did spot (very lightly but very consistently for like 8 months). I also am part of a sports team and thus have done a small scale study (lol) and of 20 of us, 3 have gotten the Mirena and have all had really good experiences with it."

l (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2019

"I was really happy with the mirena at first . I've had it for five month's. My periods where very light. I woke up one morning and blood was all over my bed. When I stood up blood clots came out. I went to the hospital and they told me that the mirena had gone through my uterus."

Katie February 17, 2019

"I thought the mirena would be awesome so I got it. Worst mistake ever. I had a period 4 times in a month. I cramped horribly and it hurt so bad during sex. My mood swings where crazy. I got depressed and irritated over nothing. I have lost my strings and my doctor didn't tell me any of this would happen. I am getting it removed ASAP and am looking for another method.. Once again.. WORST MISTAKE EVER!!"

Shay (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2019

"I just got my mirena put in, the nurse prior to getting it told me it should only take 5 minutes and be painless. Let me tell you it was the worst pain I've ever felt. Before insertion my Dr. asked if I took ibuprofen or anything like his nurse should have suggested, which she never did. So if I had taken something prior to getting there I'm sure it would have been less painful. She also told me I could immediately go to work. He told me I needed to go home and lay down for the day. So here I am at work with severe cramps because I couldn't call in that last minute."

Janne (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2019

"Iv'e had the mirena three times now, all at different stages of my life. The first time it worked really well, mind you was only 21 at the time. Second time round I had it when I was 24 and it was completely painful and in the wrong spot so I got it removed after only 2 months. Now 29 I have only had it for just over 3 months and I'm getting this one removed on Monday. The headaches and migraines are horrible, the weight gain is also their along with bloating, tired and zero sex drive. Not to mention the week before and on my period the cramps and aches and pains are not worth it, also my entire body aches and I don't have to do anything and I'm in pain."

Joy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

"I had the Mirena inserted after using Paraguard (which was a nightmare). Pro: as a birth control, little to no period. My regular periods before this weren't very heavy and I've never had terrible cramps. I will occasionally have back aches and cramping but not unbearable. Cons: insertion is fairly painful, I got lightheaded during insertion and it feels like the worst cramping you could imagine. Also and the biggest thing for me is the weight gain. I had stayed around 151-157 for about the last 10 years. Since getting the Mirena I have steadily gained weight. I'm now around 167. I used to just be able to clean up my eating and lay off the junk food when I noticed I was putting in a few pounds and be back to normal. Not anymore. I'm really considering having it removed. I feel fat and bloated pretty much all the time."

Pru (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2019

"Severe painful side effects. Got pregnant (!) despite using and I had even had an ultrasound ensuring good placement. Led to miscarriage. String disappeared, had to go deep to retrieve. Would never recommend. Should be banned."

Seer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2019

"I got the Mirena to help with excruciating period pains and have a reliable source of birth control year round. I had it placed in April 2018. The instertion was uncomfortable but not unbearable. I didn't spot/have irregular periods for the first 2/3 months, and have since had no more periods. I still go through monthly cycles such as slight ovulation pain and breast swelling but it's not accompanied by bleeding which is great. I don't think I experienced weight gain, as I sit at 145 but fluctuate up and down a few pounds through out the year. Overall, I highly recommend as it helped with my pain, I haven't become pregnant and I haven't experienced any side effects."

Here (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2019

"I got my mirena inserted on 9/14/18 and weighed around 120 lbs at the time. I’ve checked my diet logs from before I got the mirena and was usually between 115-120 for the previous years. It’s now been 4 months and my weight has gone up to 133 lbs! My diet hasn’t really changed and now on top of weight gain I feel puffy and bloated most days of the month. I’m debating whether to get it taken out because it works and I don’t really have a period anymore, but I don’t like the way I look and feel."

TeddyDeer325 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2019

"I had the Mirena coil fitted in August 2018 for heavy periods. I was informed that it would NOT cause weight gain. The insertion was really painful. Immediately I had major contraction pains which took my breath away. These went on for nearly two months. I also had an insatiable hunger. This lasted for 3 months and then every 2 weeks thereafter. I also bled seriously heavily for the first 3 weeks and then had light bleeding every day. Back and hip pain was also a permanent fixture from day 1 of insertion. I also had mood swings which made me feel very anxious and angry. My stomach was ALWAYS bloated and really uncomfortable every day with mild and sometimes severe cramp. I weighed my self. Despite not putting on weight in 3 years previous to the Mirena, I'd gained 12 pounds within 4 months of having the coil fitted. It is now January 2019. I've just got back from an appointment to have it removed. My stomach pain has already disappeared. Please think very carefully about having one of these things fitted."

Relieved!! January 18, 2019

"I'm just going to give the details. I'm not trying to trash mirena, this is just my experience. For background, I'm 21 and I am also on a 40mg daily dose of fluoxotine. I got mirena in May 2018 as my first form of birth control as an adult (took lo Loestrin for a short time in high school for bad periods). In the week after insertion, I developed a yeast infection and a UTI - never had a yeast infection before, but since getting mirena I have had quite a few. I bled lightly off and on (mostly on) for 3 months after insertion along with sporadic cramps, sometimes intense and sometimes not. I am 5'7 and have always hung around 130 pounds. It has been 8 months since I got mirena and I currently weigh 170, still gaining weight every week. Even with drastic diet improvement and exercise increase I have continued to gain a massive amount of weight. I'm getting mirena removed next week. I'm looking forward to trying another form of birth control."

Kk January 16, 2019

"I am extremely happy with Mirena. I had it inserted after having my baby as birth control. There was inconsistent spotting in the beginning and cramping that would come and go. But all of the pain stopped after 3 months. My periods are very light now and no pain during periods. Because there is no pain, my mood stays good overall."

Prachi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2019

"I am so glad I have read this forum. I have been suffering for months and thinking I was going round the bend with my mental health. Suffering from awful panic attacks, anxiety, arm and shoulder pain, sickness, headaches, heavy bleeding and more. I had my mirena coil inserted May 2018. After he contraceptive injection and pill failed to work for me. Since then I really haven't been the same person. I can not wait to have it removed."

Day (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2019