User Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Mirena Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 275 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena

"Worked great for 3 years then while going through a divorce I ended up conceiving twins!! Turning my 3 kids into 5. Ruined my life. Yes you can get pregnant with Mirena and even conceive twins, Thank you Mirena."

Sp (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2019

"I had the Mirena in for 2 years exactly. I found it better and easier on my body & mood compared to the contraceptive pill, but definitely not a cake walk. The insertion was quick but very alarming to my body as I broke out in a major sweat and got dizzy. My doc had to run and get me a cold washcloth for my forehead to calm me down. I was able to drive home, but had major cramping for about 2-3 days. At the 3 month mark, I noticed my mood was very apathetic all the time. I had no highs or lows, which is pretty infuriating. I gained 8-10lbs without any diet change, my hair thinned/broke easily, I broke out on my back and chin/neck and my sex drive lessened. To feel like myself, I had to get acupuncture every month to level out my hormones. It helped a little. The only plus is that my period mostly disappeared after 2 months. I would spot once in a while, but only for a day or so. I got it removed (no pain at all & easy) and got pregnant with my first baby easily 3 months later with zero complications."

A.L. May 20, 2019

"Mirena was by far the worst birth control ever!! I had has side effects of my hair falling out TREMENDOUSLY, also pelvic pain abdominal pain, then AFTER ABOUT 6 months I got it removed come to find out it was improperly inserted that’s why it was causing me so much discomfort!! Needless to say it still was a very bad birth control to be honest all birth control made me feel horrible just not myself at all but this one was by far the WORST!!!"

No name (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2019

"Insertion painful but bearable and recovery time was fine. BUT, Mirena gave my severe acne and pretty bad pelvic, lower back and uterine pain. During intercourse, it would cause nauseousness because I could feel it moving (even though the website and doctors tell you that’s not possible). I was so confused because all of my friends who had them loved them. Went in for regular and vaginal ultrasounds to test for endometriosis, tested negative. Finally after 16 months decided to get it removed. All of the symptoms listed above went away. I’m not saying to never use the Mirena (no horror story here and many people LOVE it), just if you have gotten it in and are unhappy with it, trust your gut, your body is trying to tell you something. Better safe than sorry :)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2019

"I've had my Mirena for a little over 2 years. I've been having some ongoing side effects from it (rapid weight gain, monthly, heavy menstrual cycles, acne, irritability, etc) and just went to the Doctor for it last week. My PCP had asked at my last appointment if I have checked my strings. Nobody ever told me that I was supposed to, but that night, I checked. Didn't feel like I was feeling strings, and I couldn't tell if it was in the right spot. Started doing research on my symptoms and saw a bunch of results talking about a misplaced Mirena. Sure enough, at my appointment this last week, my doctor can't find it. They scheduled an ultrasound to locate it for this week. Now knowing all of the very scary things that can happen with IUDs, never again will I get one, and I will forever tell my friends to stay away from them."

ashinity (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2019

"I'm 27 yo, have never had children and was recommended this due to my adverse reactions to other forms of birth control and my naturally heavy painful periods. The insertion was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. It was comparable to the pain I had when an ovarian cyst burst. I had to stay back in the doctors office for 3 hours after insertion due to the faintness and heavy pain it caused me. I had ongoing cramps for a month after insertion. I still get intermittent cramping from the device but due to my incredibly painful natural cramps I've not been bothered by this. My periods have reduced to very minimal bleeding. As someone with particularly heavy bleeds I was very happy with a 3 days of light flow. However I have acne like I've never seen before, I have weird swelling in my lower abdomen that has been impossible to get rid of and I am quite sure it has lowered my mood and caused weight gain (though those two things I can't conclusively prove)."

Liz April 27, 2019

"Age: 27 Kids: 2 Weight & height: 132 lbs and 5"10 ish I just keep reading all these horrid reviews and all I can say is that my insertion wasn't even bad. Literally a 5 minute process. Worst part is measuring the uterus. That is an uncomfortably long pinchy feeling. I didn't even feel the insertion. Had a little mild crampy feeling for maybe 10 minutes afterwards. That is it. "

Jackie (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2019

" I almost cried how happy and good it felt now that I have had this taken out. Its been a week and let me tell you I started bleeding after a day of getting it out its like a period but I have the worst back pain and pain in my stomach area, an aching but I couldn' be more grateful and blessed to be rid of that thing. I look forward to all the new changes that will take place. Do yourself a favor and leave your body alone. Its not natural and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble... 3 years I can't get back wish, I never had it SMH"

Cecy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2019

"I had my Mirena removed last week. This was my second Mirena - the first of which I left in longer than it’s effective lifespan (6 years). This second Mirena I had removed after only one year due to side effects. The insertion of this second Mirena was excruciating - maybe that should have been a sign. Following insertion, I felt like I was being poked - pretty severely from time to time - from the inside out. This was despite a completely normal placement of the device according to an ultrasound performed a few weeks after insertion. My partner said it didn’t feel like it was in place correctly - he could feel it more than usual. On top of being uncomfortable, I’ve been down right depressed for the past year - seriously. Maybe it’s not the Mirena, but only time will tell. I’m so happy I had it removed!"

Esd408 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2019

"I had the Mirena put in December of 2018. Had it for three months before I had it removed. I had terrible side effects. Low sex drive, acting like a crazy woman, not really feeling emotions and it was becoming harder to lose my baby weight. Now since it’s been a month of it being out, I feel amazing!! I’m back to my normal self. Such a blessing I didn’t keep this device in. The results were night and day for me! Never again will I use Mirena!"

Lynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2019

"I wanted to like Mirena because of the all the positive reviews and promotion from my gyno. I also needed something I didn’t have to remember to take every day. I’ve had it for a year and a half, and I’ve gained 10-15 lbs more than my usual weight. I’m the heaviest I’ve been in a while despite a super healthy diet and consistent exercise; the cellulite on my legs is embarrassing considering how active I am and being only 31. I also have had non stop breakouts on my back and on the sides of my face :( I’m getting it removed in a month because the cosmetic side effects are really frustrating."

mermaid35 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2019

"Hi All, This is my experience getting Mirena put in at age 26. This is my 100% truthful opinion and experience. No children or anything so my cervix is tiny. There is a reason I guess they recommend it specifically to woman who have had a kid. The insertion process was incredibly uncomfortable and painful as hell and I never will do it again. The "cramp" they described was an understatement. I almost passed out, I had a miserable and painful first month after insertion. I have gained 10+ lbs of weight without diet or activity changes, and got some crazy deep stretch marks on my tummy as a result. I've never stopped spotting during periods. And the side effects are noticeable for sure, regardless what "percentage" they advertise. It can affect you, and it sucks. Yes, the pros sound so awesome initially, for sure. I hope it is a better process for you, but just commit to a pill daily would be my best advice. Or just use spermicide and condoms and watch your cycle."

:) April 11, 2019

"I had a Mirena inserted in August of 2016, from that time I began steadily gaining weight without a real change in my diet or exercise. I had eventually had it taken out in March and stopped gaining weight. At that time I had a copper IUD put in its place but that was having heavy bleeding so I also wanted it out. The doctor swore up and down the progesterone in the Mirena was not high enough for it to cause weight gain so she suggested I try it again once I had the copper IUD out. I did, that would have been in October of 2017. Since then I’ve gained about 15lbs. None of my clothes fit my anymore. I was in denial that it was the Mirena, I liked the Mirena because it stopped my periods but I’m so over it now."

Ranchdubois33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2019

" Very bad experience for me. Very painful to get in, I should have listened to my mom's warnings about getting it and should have done more research. I got it out after less than a week due to bad anxiety and strange numbness in my arm that would wake me up every night that I'd never had before. Do happy I made this decision."

girl (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

"I just had a baby and wanted to get on a birth control. I wanted something other than the pill so I decided on an IUD. Unfortunately, the IUD (Mirena) was inserted in my uterine wall! I had heavy bleeding for 6 weeks and the doc said that was normal for some women. The doc didn't do an ultrasound to see if anything was wrong. There were several visits to try to remove it with no luck. Now I have to go in for surgery to remove it! It's going to cost me over $3300 and several weeks to heal from a doctor's mistake!"

Angry (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2019

"I had Mirena for 2.5 years - I am 45 and only got it from a friend's advice to not get pregnant and hassle free due to my hectic job and lifestyle (always travelling for work). I had mine out 1 week ago and I can report feeling better - almost instant - energy level increased, not bloated (or looking/feeling 3 months pregnant) anymore, lust for life back, not depressed. Today, a manager I work said "you look so skinny - what have you done?" Wow - I did nothing at all - no change to diet, exercise or eating patterns - yes the reduction in weight and bloat had dramatically reduced my size literally in a few days. I knew hormone BC is not for me as per my past but I thought I'd give this a go based on all the medical info telling me it's so low dose you cannot put on weight - well in my case - I did and it affected my mood and energy levels. I feel like I am back to my happy, healthier self and will never go back on this. It might be right for some but not for me at all - I guess it's all trial and error !"

Reuben March 25, 2019

"I've been on MIrena for 2 years now and love it. I was super nervous about getting it because of all the horror stories I've read but I'm so glad I decided to try it!! The first 2-3 months were rough while my body was adjusting to the hormones and I almost got it taken out but I'm glad my Dr. suggested I needed to try it for 6 months before I made a decision. I had bad mood swings and thought I was going crazy in those first couple of months. Now I have zero issues! I haven't had a period in over a year which is awesome of course. My husband says he can feel it during sex sometimes but it's not a uncomfortable at all. My advice if you're thinking about trying it is go for it!! If it doesn't work for you just have to taken out. I've been on several pills, depo, the patch, and nuvaring and the mirena is my favorite! Nuvaring would be my second. I HATED all the others! Hope this helps!"

Allison (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2019

"I did a lot of research online and talked to many women for months before I decided to get the IUD. I chose the Mirena because it had the most positive reviews and would last the exact number of years I need. I haven’t had any pregnancies and have tried birth control pills before. Took my body 8 months to adjust fully and has been great ever since. The biggest benefit for me is I no longer have painful ovarian cysts. No other birth control has helped me with that except my IUD. My advice, take pain pills before insertion. Wait out the side effects because they are not as bad as the pill."

Byrdie (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2019

"I got the Mirena inserted about 9 months ago, and to start off the insertion was extremely painful (my back caved in as I was getting it inserted and almost passed out; (I can tolerate pain very well) after that I have been bleeding immensely since I’ve got it inserted with the exception of maybe 5 days within a month. I’ve always been extremely happy. With this Mirena, I’ve felt extremely depressed, Tons of bloating, pelvic pain, sharp pains in my back and uterus to where I just want to hunch my back, awful migraines, feet swelling, and get really bad thoughts in my head. Sometimes, my husband will want to have intercourse and I won’t because I know the aftermath is going to leave me in so much pain and It’s honestly one of the worst feelings a wife could have is telling them no (especially when they’re in the military so away a lot of the time so want to "catch up") :( it’s been such a bad experience and I just can’t wait to get this thing removed in a few days because all I want to do is be my old self again."

Faleesh March 20, 2019

"It is the worst birth control I have ever used. I have tried Mirena 2 times. The first time I had it inserted a little after giving birth to my first and only child. I had it removed after experiencing severe depression, lethargy, mood swings, and thinning of my hair. I initially chalked it up as post-partum, however I just had Mirena inserted again for birth control and I of course am not pregnant or nor have I recently given birth and I have the same exact side effects. I am generally energetic and happy but this birth control has made me into a mad woman and I am having it removed tomorrow, thank goodness! I will just continue to use the pill - oh and I gained about 13 pounds after having it for only 3 weeks. I went from 115 to 128."

ac (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

"So it’s my 5th day on it. The lady told me to give it some time like 6 months but I’m all out of time. 1st day slightly bleeding.. second day till now... worst cramps I’ve ever experienced in my whole entire life. My acne on my face is horrible. My hair is falling out and I’m black and mexican my hair hardly falls out! I’ll wake up 2/3 times in the middle of the night with the worse cramps I’ve ever had. Even when I have my period I hardly cramp. I’ll be in class I’ll start cramping I’ll have to look down and start breathing through my nose out my mouth because this pain is horrible. I'm bloating so bad it makes me feel self conscious about myself. I’ll be sad out of no where then I’ll get mad. It’s crazy! This IUD is the worse and it’s only my first time using it on the 5th day!!! I’m getting it removed tomorrow. Maybe people won’t experience what I had. I’ve never been on birth control so this was quite the experience."

J9 March 20, 2019

"I had Mirena for about a year and a half. For the first 6 months I spotted every day but had no periods/pain. After 6 months I had zero symptoms!!! It felt so perfect. I didn’t get my period until about a year in. At this time, I had my period 3 months in a row, very light and virtually painless. After that though it stopped. I still had bloating/cramps/ mood swings. Then the worst part. I had cramps every day randomly for about 2 months. I just recently had it removed because I couldn’t take it anymore. Altogether though, Mirena worked for me really well for about a year."

Bc (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2019

"The mirena is effective in the aspects of not getting pregnant, but the side effects are NOT good. Significant hair loss , depression, mood swings, loss in sex drive , pain during sex and after . I’m at the 2 year mark I can’t even believe how drastic the side effects are, the depression is the worst and sex drive is at zero, the pain from sex is on a scale 1-10 a hard 10 . Please consider alternative"

Comingunbiased (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2019

"I had my first mirena coil fitted just yesterday. I'm not due a period for a week so not the ideal time to fit. The Dr fitting it couldn't do anything at first because my cervix was spasming. I tried my hardest to relax it stopped spasming quickly and she was able to get on with it. I was concentrating on my breathing in anticipation of pain, I was still waiting for something to happen when they told me they were all done. I'd only felt a little cramping, it was totally painless. I have had two babies both straight forward deliveries which would have helped I'm sure. I was a little lightheaded immediately after and was told to take my time getting off the bed. I was soon feeling less wobbly and got dressed, took my paperwork etc and went home. I have had cramps, with occasional strong cramps that feel a lot like early labour pains, but they don't last long. I've had a small amount of spotting, pink and brown but only when wiping. Review for fitting and first few days only."

Mom02 (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

"I switched from the ring to an IUD due to the length of my periods. I had my IUD in for a year and a half and chose to get it removed due to it making my skin break out with cystic zits, acne, and scarring. The IUD also didn’t help me with the length of my periods, it still was 9-12 days for me. My doctor then prescribed me to a pill (Sprintec) that was a mixture of progesterone and estrogen to assist with the break outs and length and for four months now, my skin and length of cycle have changed drastically and now I can finally say I found a winner."

NotforMirEna (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2019