User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 240 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I can't take oral hormones due to migraines. I have also never had children. Had the copper IUD inserted when I was 25. Had no problems with it. Switched to Mirena after 5 years. My periods are always between 28 and 32 days. I did not have any troubles with insertion and only took Advil before the appointment. I have had no weight gain, no negative effects at all. I did not have any coverage and have spent over $1000 on IUD's...completely worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2016

"Switched from combination pill to mirena after 5 years on the pill. I'm 27 and have never been pregnant. The insertion was. the worst thing I've ever experienced ! Almost fainted. The following 8 hours I had really bad cramps (never really had them before), I'd say a 8/10. Also threw up six times and got diarrhoea. Strange! The following 5 days light spotting, then light period (as planned) for about a week. It's now been almost 8 weeks since insertion, got my second period which was very light compared to being on the pill. Apart from the horrible insertion I'm very content with mirena, absolutely worth it! Also much cheaper as my pill cost around $10 each month and the mirena only $70 for five years, perk of living in Sweden."

Christina046 September 24, 2016

"I got my mirena placed today and while time will tell what happens my insertion experience was nothing like the majority of reviews I've read. I am 31 years old and have 2 daughters, youngest being 19mo. I had absolutely no problem with insertion. I share bc i saw so many posts about pain and cramps, and while everyone is different, it's not that scary. I will follow up, but i will say this was nothing more than a pap to me. Mom's, i feel great, happy and I'm not gushing like I've heard happens. It's been most of the day and I'm barely spotting. Much luck, be safe, but don't be turned off by everything you read ☺"

Justwanttohelp September 24, 2016

"Today I went in for my IUD Mirena insertion, and I have to say it was a bad experience for me. HOWEVER, here's my situation, I have only had ever light and short periods. I have never experienced cramps or sharp pains during my period. During the procedure I had insane cramping right away and I felt like I was going to be sick from both ends at any minute. I had trouble waking and was in crippling pain for 5hrs, and am still in slight discomfort. But from what my mom and the doctors all said apparently that's just what bad period cramps feel like. Ie if your use to bad periods this may be easier for you, but if not you may have a bad time like I did. I suggest bringing a friend with you in case."

pom419 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

"I felt like I was pressured into getting Mirena by my doctor. Pills are easy to forget and I would still get nervous about pregnancy while taking them. This experience has been a nightmare. I am on month 4. At first it was bleeding and cramping for a month straight. Then I started getting very mild yeast infections. They would get worse and I would have to either get treatment or try to use home remedies (lots of probiotics). Every time I talk to my doctor she tells me to wait it out. This is my 3rd yeast infection in a month, maybe 5th or 6th since May. I have only had yeast infections in the past while on antibiotics and they would go away without treatment. Too good to be true for me :/"

BummerMirena September 22, 2016

"Jumping in here to mention a symptom I don't see listed. Backstory quickly: I had the Mirena IUD inserted a little over 3 months ago. Insertion and cramping not that bad and everything was great up until my first period came about two weeks after insertion (this is where the strange symptom came into play). On top of bad cramping and heavy bleeding, I had terrible colon and rectal spasms (Sorry for the TMI). It ranged from uncomfortable to extremely unpleasant, like lightening bolts going through my body. The period lasted for almost three weeks but the rectal spams lasted consistently for another month and still happen every few days (on top of almost constant brown discharge). Overall, not happy but also not pregnant. Win some, lose some?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

"I've had the Mirena for almost 3 years now. Insertion wasn't a problem. However, at my next annual exam my doctor told me he didn't see the string anymore but assured me it's not a problem. I had spotting each month in the beginning. Very light and would last about 3 days. I also experienced heavy discharge in the beginning. Now I have no spotting, no discharge. I did gain weight from it. Lately I have been experiencing severe cramping which I can only describe as almost feeling like contractions when you're about to give birth. They're that bad! Needless to say, I have scheduled an appointment with my OBGYN and I may have it removed. But overall, it's an effective birth control."

KaiLeysMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 21, 2016

"No periods, no major side effects(only a little weight gain). I had it for over a year before my 1st and only child in may 2014, and after giving birth, in total 3yrs and I love it. I'm 25yrs old."

Anonymous September 19, 2016

"First off, remember this is a long term birth control so you have to give your body time to adjust effectively. This device stays in for years! The insertion process was painful for me being I've never had kids so the dr. manually opening my cervix to insert the iud was the worst part. Following the procedure, a friend took me home because of the cramping it caused but after a couple hours I felt okay to drive. There was spotting for a month and slowed down to the point I now spot maybee 2 days a month. I've now had it for 5 months and get cramps from time to time but they arent bad ones. I think my body is still adjusting some. I would overall suggest it to those who are preventing pregnancy more than preventing periods and cramps."

Kelsey53 September 6, 2016

"After my last child and not being comfortable on the pill I had the Mirena inserted under mild sedation. I felt nothing when I woke and only had slight bleeding for the first month. Thereafter nothing. I had it in for 8 years - no problems and no bleeding. I am now menopausal and on Estrogen patches. My Mirena has been replaced with a new one - it's been 3 months now and Ivé only had a day or two of very light spotting. The best thing ever."

Kazkay September 2, 2016

"I had the Mirena placed a month ago and I have to say I really like it. No effort besides the panty liners from the never ending spotting/clot like blood spots. I am a breastfeeding mother this or the estrogen free pill was my only choice and knowing me having a 8 month old I would NEVER get around to taking that pill. The insertion was not fun but since I breastfeed I finally got my period back 6 months postp and they disappeared again so my Dr. Decided to put in the Mirena without me being on my period. very painful with serious contractions then 2hrs later my period came back tooksome T3 this passed all together in one night. I would recommend!! I didn't give it a higher score because I have only had it for a month. Happy!"

Haleyglaze August 31, 2016

"My friend and I, both 18, got Mirena as birth control. She loves hers. The insertion was painful, but manageable- the side effects are what's really bad. Before, my period was short, light, and I have NEVER cramped. Since getting my IUD, I have consistantly bled heavily. Daily, I have crippling cramps to where I can no longer continue to drive or walk. I often wake up moaning in pain and crying. I got an ultrasound yesterday and everything looked fine. I'm not saying not to get Mirena, but I strongly recommend considering other options or being okay with dealing with the side effects. This has been a terrible experience for me, and a great experience for my friend so you can never really be sure how it will be for you."

sarahdelayne (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"I am 25 years old and have never been pregnant. Due to having migraines with aura, I needed an estrogen-free form of BC. I was on Depo Provera ('the shot') for 1.5 years and HATED it. I gained 20lb without changing my diet, spotted for a year straight with no breaks, and was an overall mess. Mirena was the obvious choice for me. Insertion was not fun (<5 min.) and the 2 hours after insertion I had awful period-like cramps. However, they subsided and by the end of the night, I was okay. The next morning, no pain! My spotting from the Depo even lifted. I have only been on Mirena less than a week, but so far I love it. My anxiety definitely made the insertion process worse, so try to relax."

Formerly on Depo August 22, 2016

"I got the mirena in Jan 2015 and had remove it by July 2015. As a contraceptive it worked. I used to be on the pill and I put on 20kg with it. I came off it and got the mirena and couldn't lose weight whilst on it. So although I didn't put weight on whilst on mirena, I feel like if I hadn't taken the pill before, the mirena prob would've been the culprit to make me put on weight. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, don't do it. The side effects I experienced: - spotting everyday/random periods completely irregular overall - bad headaches - extremely bloated - couldn't lose weight - moodiness and emotional - periods never went back to normal after mirena- they've been irregular for past year despite being hormone free!"

Alishab August 21, 2016

"I first started birth control around 2004, age 22. I tried the Pill, and all it did was make me spot and have periods that lasted for weeks- so I stopped using it. Then I tried the NuvaRing- that worked for about 3 months then the spotting started again. I then had no birth control until August of 2010. I wasn't sexually active- so didn't worry about it. I had been told when I first tried to get the IUD in 2004 that you can't have one unless you've had at least one child, so I gave up. It was either between Mirena or Paragard-since I have heavy menstrual cycles and cramps and PMS, I chose the Mirena. I had the first one in August of 2010 and my second one in September of 2015. I have had no bad experience with it- my periods are light"

Da5 August 21, 2016

"Ladies!!! Do yourself a favor and stop reading these. Everybody is different and we all have different insertion experiences. I just got mirena inserted this morning. I am 24 years old and I've never had a baby. I was extremely nervous, as this was my second attempt at inserting mirena. I went last week and my cervix was too tight so they sent me home with a prescription that was to be put in my vagina the next week before I go in again. The second time (this morning) was a lot easier. Yes, it does hurt a bit but nothing I couldn't handle. Honestly the worst part for me was the cramps afterwards. I had bad cramps for about 5 minutes and ended up throwing up. After that I felt much better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

"Just got marina inserted today. Was on bc for years tried pill patch etc. Hubby then got snip which failed but we are delighted with our little bundle of joy. Really did not know what to expect and was very nervous about insertion. I took ponston before hand and it did not hurt. Measurement went fine then when inserted felt something but very mild. Not like some reviews. So far so good but dont have it long enough to comment on side effects. Insertion not as bad as i expected. Will update in a few months time"

emma d August 17, 2016

"Got the iud for heavy periods. Has helped so much, very light periods now, some spotting. should've gotten the iud years ago!"

Krisgirl August 17, 2016

"I had Mirena inserted one week ago today. My family doctor, as well as a very rude OBGYN, were both not able to get it in. I went to a women's clinic and had it inserted by someone who does this all day every day. I was surprised by how quick and relatively painless it was - a small twinge of pain on insertion, not much else. The next day, 24 hours after insertion (almost to the minute) I had horrible, debilitating pain on my left side, down my leg and up my back. It's a foreign object in your body, so your body is going to try to expel it. I took Advil but eventually needed T3's to get rid of the pain. After a few days, the daily pains went away. I am still bleeding (had it inserted on day 2 of my period). Otherwise I feel great!"

CheeryCherry August 17, 2016

"For the most part I liked the mirena. The only problem I had with it that I see no one mentioning is that I had heavy discharge to the point of having to wear a pantiliner everyday or it looked like I wet myself. On the pill now and the discharge is normal again."

Trinia 85 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

"I´ve had my Mirena removed, after a year and a half with it, for almost a year now. From the beginning to the end it was a nightmare. My periods were endlessly, I was getting the shape of a balloon, my breasts were huge, I´ve had daily hives for a period, my fingers developped arthritis, it felt like my body was collapsing, always tired and in a weird mood. Nowadays, I am much better, my period is back to its normality....but the extra weight is still a problem...almost there!"

LetíciaMAL August 15, 2016

"I got the IUD a little over two months ago after searching forever for a birth control that has good side affects and doesn't make you gain weight. I haven't gained a single pound from being on it. My periods are have still come but they are super light and last about 3 days, they are also sporadic but I don't blame it too much since before my periods used to last 7 days and were sporadic anyways.I have little to no cramping and when I do cramp it lasts about 3 days and usually the 3 days I lightly bleed. Also every now and then I check for the strings and they are always there in place. The reason I am giving it 9/10 is because how many stories I hear about having to have surgery and it makes me stress about what if."

nic2154 August 14, 2016

"Had the mirena in 5 months now, okay so before I got that, periods would last sometimes 3 weeks at a time, and I'd be in pain most of the month .. so early days. . I had my mirena inserted at the same time as having a laparoscopy for endometriosis. . So I wasn't walking much that week anyway, and then my first two cycles (months) with the mirena the cramping was so bad it felt like I was being sawn in half with a chainsaw (no joke) but no blood or spotting whatsoever .. 5 months down the track.. no pain at all and no spotting and has been like that for the past 3 months.. reason for not giving mirena a perfect 10 is because I've definitely noticed extra hair growth.. but nothing tweezers can't fix.. but it is noticeable to me"

Izibella (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

"I had the birth control IUD mirena placed just after my six month check up after having my baby! No problem having it inserted but I do NOT recommend this to any breastfeeding mother! (Yes, every body and hormones are different for everyone) however, this almost completely dried up my milk not even a month into having it inserted! Thankfully I realized it in time and had it removed immediately and was able to get my milk supply back! Anyone who breastfeeds knows how hard it is in the first six weeks so I didn't want to give up what I worked so hard to get! Also, I felt it made me very moody and irritable all the time! Having it taken out was an extremely quick process and I never felt a thing! Always trust what your body is telling you!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2016

"Don't let all the negative comments scare you away, bad experience are much more likey to reported than good, everyone's body will react in their own unique way, and this is a great product if it works well with your body. Due to a family history of breast cancer I was given the choice between mirena and implanon which do not rely on estrogen. I have never had children so while the measuring of my uterus and placement of the IUD were near painless, the 2-3 days after were full of sever cramping. Before Mirena I had fairly heavy periods and these slowly became occasional spotting. I've had this for 4.5 years with no side effects that I've read about on here and I still have middle pain and all the symptoms of a period without the mess."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016