User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 250 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I've had this inserted yesterday.I haven't got any children and was a little bit worried this was going to hurt. It was like having a smear test . I was ok coming home didn't feel no pain and then I had the worst cramp ever. Lucky it was coming and going otherwise I would not of stuck the pain. Took some tablets and went fast asleep. Woke up next morning no pain. Did feel a little bit dizzy later in the night but everything going is going OK so far. But scared to have sex in case it hurts. Want to give it time to settle I do think want to disturb it. I'll keep you all updated on what happenes in the next few months."

Lucy19933 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had the Mirena for about a month. The insertion was easy and it took my very experienced ob about 5 minutes. It honestly felt like a pap smear. I also have 3 kids and a retroverted uterus for what it's worth. Unfortunately, I have had spotting every day since. I hope it stops soon because I have no other side effects. No weight gain, acne, etc and my sex drive has actually increased (weird right?). So if you are considering having a Mirena inserted my advice is to try it and see how it works with YOUR body. Yes, you can read the horror stories on this site and others. People are much more inclined to share a negative experience than a positive one. Talk to your doctor and look at actual peer reviewed studies."

Mountainmama12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was not looking forward to having this after reading all the reviews in here. I asked for the numbing gel as I was that scared of it hurting. It didn't hurt putting it in the scope thing to open your vagina hurt me more. I've had it now 2 hours I am bleeding but was bleeding before I had it in. I've taken painkillers just in case it starts to hurt but can't feel any pain at the moment. I have really bad painful periods and was fed up of having the depo jab. Fingers crossed this will work but don't believe everything you read on here because it didn't hurt as much as people said on here it would. I spoke to 4 nurses when I had this inserted and all of them had the mirena and highly recommended it. Hope this works."

Lucy1993 February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I got my mirena on February 9th. I gave it a 9 because I've only had it for 2 weeks but I have had little to no issue Getting it was like a really bad cramp, I did get dizzy. But it went away shortly after. My doctor said I had to be on my period and I was on day 2 of my cycle and it actually stopped it, only spotted for 2 days afterwards. Hormonal problems tend to ruin in my family as well has severe PMS. This actually helped me. I also have suffered from anxiety and my anxiety decreased significantly, my husband actually noticed this before me. I feel normal for once. Which makes me extremely happy :)"

Louisiana momma (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on the mirena this time for about a month now and have been having brownish discharge no cramps or periods just brownish discharge everyday. Has anyone else experienced this? Other than the brownish discharge this is the best birth control and I would recommend it to anyone."

Dgentry21 February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had my Mirena inserted last week. An hour before the procedure, I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen and experienced just a little pressure during the insertion. I have had two kids though, so that may have helped as well. I bled a little the first day and had mild cramping. Since then, I've had some spotting, but no other side effects. My partner says he can't feel it, which I know is a concern for those considering it. I typically suffer from hormonal cystic acne, so I will be curious to see if I see any improvement with my skin while on Mirena. I'm very happy so far with it!"

LizMc February 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Oh man. I had this for a little over a year and it was awful, I had terrible cramps all the time and it made me bleed/hurt every single time I had sex. 0 sex drive. I really wish it had worked for me cause its just so much more convenient than an oral contraceptive but this is not for everyone."

Kcb2 February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had my mirena for about a week now. I had it inserted 3 days before my period and when my period came around it was terrible. My doc didn't want me to wear tampons so that part sucked. I had a lot of cramping and had to take Advil frequently but now Day 7 I feel way better. I still have bad cramps but not as bad as a couple days ago. Weirdly my sex drive went up, I think because I feel more protected so it varies. No acne yet or mood changes either"

Callmelynne February 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had Mirena for exactly 6 days and I'm still experiencing minor cramping. The spotting only lasted for a day and a half. I've gotten used to the cramping but if it gets too annoying I just pop a Motrin. The process itself was extremely painful because I'd never experienced cramps before hand. I'd say the part that was painful though was the dilation of my cervix. The second day was much better. I didn't have a sex drive for the first 3 days but on the 4th day I was ready to go. My face is clearer than ever. No regrets. Results may vary guys. Make your GYN your bestie just to stay on top of things. Good luck!"

Whitney M. (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had Mirena for about 3 years now and the only good thing about it is that it's pretty much 100% effective and I don't have periods anymore. BUT sex is sometimes extremely painful, my boyfriend can sometimes feel the strings poking him and it's uncomfortable to him. I cramp on and off all the time. I feel that I have become moodier and I have developed a bad attitude because of this IUD, but I could be wrong. I had Mirena put in when I was 16, told my mom it was to help my irregular periods but truthfully I wanted it for birth control. The procedure was one of the most painful things I had ever experienced in my entire life. I bled for four months straight afterward. I am considering having it removed soon."

rosieluke7 February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I just had my first baby in November. I knew I wanted to wait at least 3 years for the next. I was on the patch before and loved it but I didn't like having to remember to switch it. My Dr recommended Mirena. 10 weeks after my son was born I had it put in. I actually didn't feel anything. Didn't hurt and no cramping. I have had it in for about a month now. I have spotting on and off but not a big deal. No cramping. No weight gain. Sex drive unaffected. I love not having to worry about it. For those complaining about insertion if you haven't had a kid try Skyla instead. It's smaller and you should have less insertion pain. For those who just had a kid get it in as soon as you can while your cervix is still "loose" don't wait."

LovingthisIUD (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had my mirena for 15 mo - I got it at my one month appt after having my daughter. Worst decision I ever made. I have had cramps since, including back cramps every day that feel like I am in early labor all Over again. Zero sex drive. Terrible acne and I am in my mid 30s- every time I try to have sex or other stimulation I start bleeding and cramping. My Dr wouldn't take it out. I hate it more than anything else And wish I never got one."

Mary J Mo February 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This is only related to the insertion, it was easy and I felt absolutely nothing. It felt like a Pap smear honest to god truth."

Bethany kay February 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This is the worst thing. Have had nothing but horrible pain since getting it 12 months ago . Have had it removed today after being hospitalised for excruciating pain. They could not find any reason as to why and I have always thought it was this horrible device. A medical Professional also told me hers was removed due to issues and she had met many others who have suffered. Do not do it !"

KAzza233 February 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I love my IUD for many reasons. A lot of these reviews are just based off of the initial side effects and insertion. While I admit it was mildly painful for the first 24 hours and the spotting lasted 1-2 months, I am now 3 years in, and couldn't be happier. My period is 95% lighter and lasts only an hour, I never get cramps anymore, and I am comforted by the fact that it is so reliable! No weight gain or mood changes and my skin is still clear. Some people say these cause infertility but that is not true. IUDs have undergone many many clinical studies which show that is not the case! Don't let people on here scare you :) If you want the facts, go to a credible source. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0010782485900484"

AubreyNicole1989 February 8, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"wow the side effects! I have never experienced acne like this before....I seriously break out all the time and I'm 31 years old I wanted the 5 year plan but I'm breaking out like I remember 7th grade"

acne cystic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had he Mirena for about a month now. I still have the spotting nearly everyday but it's not terrible. It's annoying im hoping that stops soon. Insertion was painful but I've had two kids so it really felt like a moderate labor contraction. It wasn't unbearable. I'm glad I did it! But my partner did say he could feel it during sex which I was a little disappointed to hear. Overall though, so far I'm happy with it!! I had two babies with the Nuva ring so I'm hoping this is 100% more effective "

Trisha 20 February 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I just got the Mirena put in today and I have a low threshold for pain with certain things. I would advise everyone to take a good pain pill bc the pressure and cramping is pretty heavy. It's temporary but its painful...I kept tensing up and the Dr had to pause until I was ready lol...I hope all goes well but I will report back with results."

PacquitasMamacita February 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I got it inserted on 10/12/14. The pain of having it inserted was horrible. The reason I went the Mirena route was because I used to take the pill and then the NuvaRing ( I either got sick or gained 45lbs), after I didn't use anything at all. I got very serious with my, now, fiancé and decided that this would be a good option for BC. I got an appt with my OBGYN and discussed it. She spoke highly of it. Initially I had little pain... fast forward 1.5 years and I have almost every side effect out there. weight gain, depression, back pain, abdominal pain, skin issues, tired, bloating, mood swings etc. I just don't feel like myself anymore. I am getting it removed 2/17/17. I am DONE! LADIES... DONT DO IT! Hopefully I am able to have children....."

518NYWoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I got this IUD two days ago and I feel the need to post a review after reading all of the negative ones. Insertion isn't as painful as what I read. It does hurt, I jumped a little, but the whole procedure took less than 2 minutes. What was more annoying was cramping the rest of the day and the next day. After my appointment I had the rest of the day off of work. Your heating pad is your bff. I could have used another day off work but on the second day I went to work with a Thermacare pad on under my shirt. That helped a lot. I have a desk job so I was really aware of all of the cramping. If I had a job where I had to move around a lot I don't think I would have noticed the cramping. I would do it all over again, don't be afraid of the pain!"

Jessj21 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had my mirena in about a week ago and I love it!!! So many negative things about the mirena, but everyone is different! It was uncomfortable getting it inserted but not unbearable! My doctor was amazing! I didn't bleed at all... no cramps... or any other bad side affects!!! Everyone takes time to "warn" people of the bad side affects but many fail to acknowledge the positives! I would truly recommend this to any other female that has had a baby!!! I suffer from migraines so I couldn't take the pill, this was the next alternative and boy am I glad this was it!!!!"

The Girl (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've only had it a week, so what I can say is that the insertion was pretty painless for me personally. I'm 22, have never had kids, and I was not on my period at the moment of insertion. The process itself took about 5 min, and then I was ready to go. I spotted throughout the day, but had no cramps. In fact, I was out riding my bicycle through town in the next few hours or so."

Anjayuree February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I only had the iud put in yesterday so my review is only regarding insertion because I seem to have had a very different experience than other women here. I may have a low pain threshold but my word it was absolutely horrendous. I was given heavy ibuprofen about 10 mins before and was in a jolly mood, excited to finally get this and dump the pill, but found the entire process painful. My doctor was incredible and so were the nurses but I reacted like a mad woman, screaming and crying like I never have before really. When I apologized to the dr for my actions she said I wasn't even on the list of the 'screamers' she had seen that day. So just a warning- this is NOT a 'bearable' experience for everyone. Still glad I did it."

California23 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Just got it put in today. I am 19 and never had a baby so it was rough getting past my cervix. Honestly the most painful experience. Really don't recommend. We will see in the next few days as to if this was a good choice for me."

Liv998 January 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The whole thing is absolutely worthless. What people don't share is how to become pregnant after that. Seems to be a serious problem. I won't even mention this madness with spotting, constant cramps and bleeding for 2 weeks. Also the pain that comes with the procedure. I've had a PID( get educated on it before waving it) right 2 months after insert. I was aware But refused to believe. Fallopian tube inflammatory as a result. Got that thing out 4 years ago. Still no kids. A woman that advised me Mirena ended up with endometriosis that appeared due to IUD after being taken out. They've been trying to have kids for years. She is officially infertile now. Everything worked out perfect though for my best friend until they decided on a baby. I regret it"

Anonim (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017