User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"Spectulum was hugely painful, one of the worst pains I have ever felt to be honest. Insertion was not comparable to that for me but was quite uncomfortable. So far bleeding was for the first two days only, no cramps, no discomfort. A lot of checking there to figure out whether there was too much or too little wire sticking out so that has been a frightening thing. Breasts hurt like anything but so far definitely worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my 3rd device & I have had the mirena for over 13years. On my 3rd insert my gynaecologist asked if I have been depressed and I said yes thinking it was because I was working full time single mum and was tired. I finally had counselling and felt good again but after a few weeks I was drained. However during these years, I was deeply depressed and severe anxiety issues, on medication and after speaking to my female doctor we worked out it was the bloody MIRENA, all those years of feeling awful. Use Condoms instead, trust me it's not worth it. I am 41 & love being myself again."

Sparkles014568 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Do not get the mirena! It will ruin your life!"

TMILLR August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had it inserted a week ago. It was uncomfortable but not painful and it was a quick procedure. The doctor said to expect cramps. I have them, they are to the point they keep me awake at night. I'm hoping they go away soon or I may have to ask for a prescription for pain. I'm glad I don't have to take the pill anymore though."

No more kids (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just had this inserted recently, so I can't speak to the long term effects of it, but after reading a review on here from someone who claims the pain "isn't excruciating"... I beg to differ. I took 400mg of ibuprofen two hours before I was on the procedure table (in hindsight I should have taken 800mg). I am a 21yr old female who has never had children, with extremely light periods that last about 3 days (prior to having this inserted). I nearly passed out from insertion, I was hyperventilating with a death grip on the assistant's hand and she had to sit with me for about 10 minutes afterwards while I ate a banana and drank water because I couldn't feel my face and was still dizzy. Have someone on-call to drive you home."

Kegs August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All these awful reviews. I thought I'd share my positive experience. After lots of reading I decided to go with the mirena IUD. I was two months Post baby when I hard it inserted, for me I felt the speculum was more uncomfortable (10 weeks post baby) then the actual insertion. I didn't have any dizziness, I bleed for a couple days (but it was no more then a period), I also didn't need to take any pain meds, I have no weight gain or change in my skin. Since my period hadn't come back at that point I only had the couple days of bleeding. I'm 2 years into having my IUD and I haven't had a period to date. I still feel like I get PMS from time to time and I've have had some lite bleeding on occasion. But it's been a great form of birth control."

LauraElizabethS August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was scheduled to get my mirena IUD, so like most of you on the site, I did my research and read every review possible! I freaked myself out bad. So my appointment comes around and I was sitting on the bed shaking with fear. My doctor comes in and gets me prepped and begins the insertion process. During the whole process I didn't even feel hardly anything. It felt like a child was sitting on my lower abdomen, didn't even hurt, it was just pressure. Easy and very very tolerable pressure. When I got home I just took a midol with some Ibuprofen and I was set for the whole night. The next day I had mild cramps but it wasn't bad. I spotted for 3 weeks and thats it! I am now period free! *recommend you are on your period when you get it inserted"

Amcmike August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely love the Mirena! I got it put in when I was 19 years old. I had numbing shots prior to insertion. I didn't find it to be painful at all. I've now had it for a little over 2 years and I can't believe it's still good for 3 more! When my 5 years are up I'll definitely get it again. It's completely stopped periods and been very effective against pregnancy. I do occasionally get cramps still, but I had those prior so I'm not sure Mirena is to blame. This has worked wonders for me!"

Works so well! (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on birth control for a while now due to horrendous cramps and excessively heavy cycles. And I've always been an anti-kid-having lady so hey it works for me. So I ended up switching from the nuva ring (which I loved) to the Mirena. I'm not going to complain about pain because we're all different and to be honest, it really wasn't terrible, a little discomfort. But I've had my Mirena for a little over 2 years now and I've gained 40-50 pounds with no change in diet, I have absolutely no energy for anything (I work and go to school full time), and I'm recently married with no sex drive. At first the Mirena was a God send, no period, no pill, no hassle or worries. But now I'm counting down the days this evil thing is gone."

CharmRuth89 August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The mirena iud has changed my life. I have PCOS and was having really embarrassing, random, and prolonged periods. My doctor suggested the mirena IUD. As a woman that has never had any children, the insertion of the device was excruciating. However, that should be expected when you think logically, having a foreign object inserted into your uterus isn't exactly natural lol... I had random/light bleeding for about 6-8 weeks after I had it inserted. Insertion sucked, give your body TIME to adapt. This IUD is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I've had it for almost two years now and I SWEAR BY IT. Patience to let your body adapt and you will NOT be let down."

Shawnaaxox August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please think carefully before you opt for the Mirena. I was a healthy 26 year old who had no problems on Microgynon however the Doctors scared me into looking into progesterone only options. On insertion, it wasn't an easy in-out and I was screaming in pain to the point I almost asked them to stop. Thinking this was normal, I persevered. Afterwards I was in hysterics because the pain was so severe and lasted for a good few hours. After bleeding for 3 months solid I wanted it out. After numerous tests where they couldn't find it in my uterus, it turns out it perforated my uterus on insertion (appaz I have a forward facing uterus) and it is in my pelvic region. Ive been told to think about a laparoscopy or whether to leave the bloody thing in"

CharlotteP (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the device inserted on May 2, 2017. My doctor advised me to take ibuprofen 1 hour before the procedure. I'm glad I did. It was a crampy feeling after and I bled a little then it stopped. I got mine I 1 week before my period. When my period started it did not stop for 2 months! Light, medium and heavy flow. I had no idea what the day would be. It's been a few weeks and no period. I break out with acne some and get bloated but nothing major. It's worth it not having a period."

Kayesty (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The warnings are real. The horror stories are real. Do not put this device into your body. It was excruciating once inserted and I bleed heavily and felt pain worse than birthing contractions for over 3 weeks. It lead to horrendously heavy bleeds, cycle was completely thrown out of whack, mental health deteriorated, suicidal tendencies. Had to wait for 2 months to be removed. Bleed extremely badly for 12 days solid and was hospitalised. The pain was horrific. It took at least 12 weeks to feel better and about 12 months for my cycle to return to my normal. I think this medication should be banned. I have 4 close friends who have all had horrific experiences with this medication."

Mfranky79 August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had my Mirena for a year and 8 months. I'm a 40 yr old with 2 children. Yes it is very effective for birth control, BUT I have had unexpected weight gain of 40-50 pounds! I am so depressed because of it, because the only difference in my life is the Mirena. I also wake up with low back pain occasionally, and I did have spotting for several months the first year pretty much every week for many months. I cannot explain this weight gain, I am ready for removal. Also I have developed Bacterial Vaginosis at Least once from the Mirena. And I was not sexually active at the time and I'm in a monogomus relationship, so yeah..it sucks..."

Jennifer Ann Gilder August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is for the insertion only. Don't listen to the reviewers that say the insertion is excruciating. I read all the horror stories on the internet and waited to get the mirena for 2 years because of them. I finally got it today and the pain wasn't as severe as I thought. It was some weird, intense cramps and uncomfortable pressure and stopped as soon as the doctor was finished and I've experienced NOTHING since. The sensation lasted for maybe 3 minutes total, I couldn't believe how quick the procedure was. Worrying about the pain was the worst part. I was able to sit up right away (no dizziness or nausea) and drive myself around running errands. I've had some minor spotting since but that's about it. I'm 28 with no kids. I took 3 advil."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had the mirena for exactly a week now and I haven't really had any problems. During the insertion I bearly had any cramping and it only lasted for about 5 minutes. I bled quite a bit the day I got it put in and I had very light spotting the next day. But I haven't had any bleeding since then. I'm really glad I decided to get the mirena. It's a great option for someone who just wants it to be put in and be able to forget about it for 6 years"

CaraMae (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was the worst decision of my life ! Don't ever get this thing implanted inside of you . The insertion process is tragic and I was laid out in the table for an hour of the dr trying to force it into my small cervix. I had horrible headaches, started to develop acne , and I almost had a stroke one night . My eye was twitching for 3 days then my face began to spasm and started to droop and I had to go to the ER and was place on steroids . I've lost some of my hair in the front and back of my head . There is NO way u can tell me that this device didn't cause this! I had this device in only for 4 weeks ! And I was at my breaking point when I started experiencing lower leg pain and numbness when I was in the grocery store.say NO!"

Jscott103 July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the Mirena put in when I was 30 and no one warned me about the pain, so I just sucked it up and dealt with it. I've had mine in for 3yrs now with no problems. The first year I would say did suck with all of the random bleeding. Now I rarely cramp and the periods are very light so I can't really complain. Some positions during sex can be uncomfortable so I just adjust."

Angela674579 July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the Mirena IUD placed 4 weeks ago. I had heard that the initial placement can be very painful, however, I only felt a very slight ache/pressure when my doc put it in. He even had to manually expand my cervix because it wouldn't open for him at all. But even with that, it wasn't bad. I did bleed quite a bit after insertion because he had to pry everything open basically lol. But really not a bad experience. I rated it at an 8 because I've been bleeding since about day 5 post insertion. It varies from light spotting to full blown period heaviness from day to day (cramps too) and hasn't stopped for 3 weeks. Its quite a mood killer :/ but I'd still choose this over the pill, honestly. The bleeding is the only downside for me."

Sr1128 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"-The Mirena IUD insertion was about an 8/10 on pain scale. After I left the procedure, I had zero pain that night and wasn't limited in any way. In the weeks following I had minor cramping. I had my period for about two straight months following insertion. -I had my mirena inserted in March, and it is now mid-July. I get my period at least once month, sometimes with heavy cramping on day 1. -My biggest word of caution is regarding weight gain. Post insertion I've had a lot of issues maintaining my weight and I am truly consistent with what I eat. I've gained 10 pounds w/o changing my diet. It is VERY hard to the lose weight. I'm now 3 mo. Post insertion and my weight has suddenly levelled back out, with no changes to my diet. Super weird."

Veronica89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I decided to share my experience to add a positive review about the Mirena IUD. I had my IUD inserted about a week ago. Going in for the insertion I was terrified based on all the reviews I read online referring to the pain. An hour before my appointment I took 800mg of ibuprofen, my gyno didn’t recommend anything else before the insertion. When the insertion started, I kept waiting for the worst pain of my life to come but it didn't. The pain was about 4/10, but I wouldn’t even consider it pain, uncomfortable may be a better word (sharp cramping but bearable) My period is already much lighter than usual to the point that I’m only wearing panty liners (I never had very heavy periods previously and I’ve been on the pill for about 5 years)"

Chlo93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had it in for three hours and the headache and dizziness started. Luckily was able to get it removed within 24 hours, but the headache is still here five hours later. From what I've read, this is a terrible drug and I'm so glad I got it out of my body!!!!"

Newmama (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I put off getting the IUD for a few months because of all the reviews that I've read about them. Well I bit the bullet and got it because how am I supposed to know if I'll have all the problems that other ladies have had if I don't try it? Having it put in was easy, maybe 2 minutes. After though I did get sweaty, shaky and I did throw up a few times. I had a friend drive me as I had horrid cramps. I went home, took a Tylenol and slept it off! Day 2 was the odd cramp. I'm a week in and no cramps. still spotting here and there but that's normal Don't be scared. Try it out and if it's not for you, you can have it removed. I made an appointment to talk to the obgyn about the IUD before I was even positive on getting it. Don't worry :)"

Leafy.Bitch (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yes it definitely worked as a birth control but completely changed my personality in the meantime. The 14 day periods, tender breasts and stabbing pains, I could have coped with until it settled; but the anger out of nowhere, falling out with family and my partner, irrational crying, feeling totally emotionally unbalanced and actually hating who I'd become were horrific. I'd be very careful when choosing this contraception and look out for these signs and get it removed asap."

L0uc July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had the copper coil for 10 years with no probs just my periods slightly heavier. Convinced by doctor to have mirena as it was so great ( even though I had no probs with the copper and no probs with heavy periods) I was sold. Anyways all was fine for the first week then exactly 1 week later ( and nothing else in my life changed) I started to get manic, anxious and felt like I was running away from danger all the time. I wanted to cry as I felt so out of control and powerless. My blood pressure went up and I have a leaky heart valve and this is not good. So cross I was fooled. My hormones do affect my mood. Some women like it I hate it with a passion!"

LAMBLong July 13, 2017