User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I actually really enjoy my IUD. I have had 2 for a total of 8 years now. 5 years for my first and now I'm 3 years into my new one. This format of contraception is such a liberating thing for women. It allows me to not worry wether or not I have my period, or when I'm choosing to be sexually active with my partner, you should always use a condom but I have that extra layer of security that I know I am safe. I am in control of my body and my choices. So it takes a certain comfort and peace of mind. I find it great for me, but that being said it is not for everyone. And you should always speak with your doctor and do lots of research. Also, iI did want to say the one con I had was one of my partners feeling the strings and it hurting him."

Canadian Busy Working Young Wo (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 15, 2017

"After experiencing horrid headaches during the placebo week of the pill, I opted for Mirena. I had been on the pill for 5 years. The insertion was painful, however, after a minute or two I felt no pain. There was light spotting for the first 2 weeks, but no spotting since (now 1.5 years in). I have had no periods since having Mirena inserted. I rarely think about the IUD. Every few months I'll get a brief cramp and remember "oh yeah no more cramps, periods, or birth control pills!" I did experience pretty bad hormonal acne along my jaw line, but this is because I was on the pill and went off it. If you rely on the pill for acne treatment be prepared to head back to the doctor for a topical treatment."

Mel1199 January 9, 2017

"I just had my first child at 42. Had to have a c section. Went to the Dr. for my 6week check up and was asked about birth control. Didn't really do any research about this just read a few brochures. The insertion was painful almost teared up. Had bad cramps all day. Now it's been a week and it's like I can feel it. I have a strange discharge and feels like my last month of pregnancy all over with the pressure on my uterus. I'm making me an appointment cause this thing is very uncomfortable. I'm about to check to see if I can feel the string cause it feels like it's hanging really low."

42 new mom (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

"I Had horrible pain for 1 week out of every month and was in and out of the hospital trying to figure out what was causing the pain then my OBGYN recommend I get the IUD. I am on my second one, no more periods and no more pain every month (knock on wood)."

KAuMa January 8, 2017

"After trying the pill and realizing that it wasn't for me, I decided to give Mirena a try. My experience with this method of birth control has been nearly perfect. Here are my pros: -I no longer have a period. As someone who used to suffer from crippling cramps and extremely heavy flow, this is a blessing. -I haven't had any symptoms that I experienced with the pill (weight gain, acne, mood swings, hair loss) -Childless and proud Cons: -The day of the insertion, I was slightly crampy afterwards. However, I recovered quickly. Overall, this is the best form of birth control. 10/10 - would highly recommend."

natalieshurst January 6, 2017

"I got my IUD after having my second kid, by a doctor that was very pushy about it. She told me I was being over dramatic about the pain of insertion and sent me on my way, something felt "wrong" and about a month later, but ultrasound showed that it was in place. I lost my insurance until recently, and I just went to get it taken out after 2.5 years of pain. Turns out my uterus is inverted and too small to fit an IUD comfortably. I wish they wouldn't treat these things like a one size fits all deal and push them up everyone they can."

Bad fit (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 6, 2017

"I decided to have Mirena after being on the pill for so long. The insertion was painful but barable. My doctor said because I have had no kids my cervix has never been diallated so it could be painful. She made sure I took ibprophine before the appointment. I'm prone to migraines around my menstral cycle and I noticed they were gone. A def plus for me! But a major down fall was major hair loss and major acne on face, chest, and back. I have scars everywhere. I'm a hairdresser and spent a ton of money on acne and hair stuff, nothing worked. I never had any other problems or had any other symptoms. I would still have it in if it wasn't for the hair loss and acne in my mid 30s. Everyone is different and has their own experiences."

Melissa508 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2017

"I had mirena for 3 months and loved it until it came out on its own! I immediately had it replace and it was horrible! My hair fell out, I would have 5 day long migraines, I could feel it when sitting, I was an emotional wreck! I went back in to my doctor who talked me into keeping it, making me feel like I was over reacting and my options of birth control were limited due to having migraines. A month later I broke and couldn't take it anymore, I called a new doctor and scheduled removal. Upon removal my doctor broke the strings! My mirena had embedded itself into my cervix in just a few short months! Please think twice about this! I feel like doctors may be getting perks from the manufacturer for pushing IUDs so hard."

Mirenahater December 29, 2016

"Wasn't too bad to insert. First 3 months I had continuous spotting. Period stopped after 3 months. At first it felt fine.. Developed GAD and anxiety disorders half a year in and started crying for no reason at everything and had to see a therapist twice. I thought it was just me going crazy until a year passed and I got my period all of a sudden. My monthly periods then would last 10-12 days and hurt like hell. Cramping was UNBEARABLE. I never cramped on BC pills or off BC pills, but all the time on Mirena. I was depressed, tired, gained 10lb and was always hungry, anxious 24/7, and sensitive to every little thing. Removed my IUD after a year and a half of use and switched back to BC. VERY disappointed with this- I had such high hopes"

Sherry23123 December 18, 2016

"After reading the reviews here and seeing women having the same experience I had on the mirena I wanted to share my experience too. PROS: execellent birth control! My fiancé and I have enjoyed not having to worry about babies and just enjoy each other. Very convenient set it and forget it birth control. CONS (mind you this is my personal experience and everyone receives this birth control differently): painful insertion had cramps the rest of the day. Painful menstral cramps. Irregular periods. Weight gain. Painful acne that left scarring. I am prone to migraines and actually had them more often on mirena. Severe fatigue."

lol queen December 17, 2016

"I got my Mirena put inserted on October 14th. It has been 2 months and so far, it has been an amazing decision for me personally. I was very nervous for the insertion but it ended up going really well. I know some people find the insertion very painful, but I felt very low pain, only mild cramping when they put it into place, which was a huge relief as I was very nervous about the pain. The first month I had no spotting, but I did get occasional cramps which were really painful. They only lasted for about 15 seconds and they were very intense, but they would go away and come back about every 30 mins. However, now I only get mild cramps every once in a while. Its definitely worth a try, if you're interested."

Mandy1995 December 16, 2016

"I'm 20 years old and had my daughter about 8 months ago. I've had the mirena for about 7 months now. Getting it inserted did not hurt at all. At first, I was extremely upset. Hated it. I bled for 4 months. After 2 months I went in to the doctors because I thought something was wrong. Went in, nothing was wrong. They told me to wait it out a little longer. After about 3 months the bleeding slowed down. Became spotting. After 4.5 months, I stopped bleeding. I have no complaints. I'm glad I stuck with it. I've had my period once so far and it was very light. I haven't experienced any acne, mood swings, etc. so far, I'm happy and hope the next 5 years will be a good experience for me."

Assfhjkloiytedgjk December 15, 2016

"Overall, I love the Mirena. I went from 8 years of birth control pills to finally getting something more permanent placed, and I wish I had done it earlier. Nothing to think about, no periods, etc. My mood is more stable and sex drive is greater than it was when I was on Yasmin. Being 26 years old and never having children, the insertion was extremely painful and I was very nauseous. It only took about 3 minutes to put in, but I was out of commission for the first week following. My doctor gave me some stronger medicines since the ibuprofen wasn't working and nausea wasn't subsiding, and that helped a lot. Since then, I've been good to go! No acne, no weight gain."

Anonymous December 8, 2016

"Personally - worst decision I made. I have chronic endometriosis meaning I am in pain 24 hours a day. This was suggested to me by a doctor as a "cure". He swore black and blue that this would fix my pains! Since the day the lady inserted it, I have bled so heavy, my pad needs to be changed every 40-90 mins. I have never had such bad pains in my life. I have consulted my doctor, the emergency wards, ANYONE. No one seems to know how to fix the problem, nor will anyone remove this stupid thing. Be really careful with this!!!!!!!!!"

Mollyx December 6, 2016

"I've had the Mirena for about 2 years now and for me, it's really a trade-off. I need to be careful with my medication not to get pregnant without planning for it. So the Mirena has been wonderfully effective in that regard. However, I can only rate the Mirena how I do because the strings poke. They poke my husband during intercourse, they poke me. On the inside. Like little needles. They also have caused my periods to turn into a 2 week long after-period discharge session. I also have seen no improvement in my hormonal symptoms. To me, it's a tradeoff."

Mariii December 3, 2016

"I am almost 24 and I have never been pregnant. I also work at an OB/GYN (so I have access to good information and doctors) I was on the pill, then the nuva ring, and back on the pill. These methods made me lose my libido and I started going through waves of depression. I was going to do paragard to get rid of the hormones in my body. My doc advised to try mirena instead, and I followed her advise. I took pain killers before and after the procedure. I also scheduled for the near end of my cycle. The pain on a scale of 1-10 would've been about a 6 (and that lasted about 1 minute). I went back to work, and I feel pretty normal. Everyone is different, don't let reviews sway your opinion, talk to a doctor first. Will follow up in a few months."

AudRose December 2, 2016

"Just got Mirena inserted yesterday and wanted to share my experience. I think the best description I have heard of what it is like to get it inserted is it is like getting your ears pierced, sharp pain followed by soreness. There were 3 sharp pains, one when they clamp your cervix, one when they measure the size of your uterus, and one when they insert the Mirena. Each sharp pain was followed by what felt like a strong period cramp. The whole procedure lasted about 5 min. After that it felt like the first day of my period for about 5 hours but it was totally manageable, I even went and did some Christmas shopping right after. It is now the morning after and I have had no spotting or bleeding and don't even feel crampy at all!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2016

"I am on my 2nd Mirena. I am 36 yrs old, no kids and never want kids. The insertion was very painful, but tolerable. I did tear up a little from the pain and I took deep breathes to help get thru it. I love the Mirena. I did not gain weight from it, however, I am a runner. No acne, no abdominal pain. I am spotting brown, but that's normal after insertion..for the 1st couple weeks. I did not get my period the first time around, so I am hoping the same this time. Not having a period for 5 years is amazing. This alone is worth the uncomfortable pain during insertion. Take 800mg of ibuprofen 1 hour before..it helps a little bit. But you still feel it...feels like the most painful cramping, you can ever imagine. Ugh. Ps. #never been in labor."

KDuff (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 30, 2016

"I have 3 children and decided that mirena would be a good option. I was on it about 4 years ago and was bleeding for 9 months and had it removed then hello miscarriage, then about 2 years later baby number 3. They told me it was put in wrong. I decided to try it again, so now I have had it for about 2 months and have been bleeding for about a month and a half. Worst birth control I have ever had!!"

RaelynnB November 23, 2016

"I am 30 years old and have never had children, I also have my tubes tied at the age of 26. I decided to get the Mirena IUD after I went to my OBGYN and told him that I no longer wanted to have a period. ( my periods didn't last long maybe 2 to 4 days, but the cramping was unbarable but the actual flow was light.) I have read all the horror stories on here and it honestly had me spooked. My OBGYN recommended The Mirena IUD for the reasons I stated above. Each person is different so each experience will be different as well. So I decided to get it done today. I had my doubts and voiced them with my OBGYN prior to my procedure. He told me that I should give it a try at least 6 months and if I really didn't like it I could always remove"

Atrixie November 22, 2016

"I have had 2 kids and knowing I don't want anymore any time soon I wanted a long term contraception. I was shocking at remembering to take the pill ( hello baby number 1 ) so decided to try the mirina. I got it fitted 7 months ago and I love it! The insertion was more uncomfortable then painful and was done within 90 seconds for me! I got a bad kidney infection after insertion but other than that I love it. I've no periods and other than tiny cramps every now and again I have no complaints! No weight gain, no mood swings, no acne. I'm glad I got it inserted "

Anonymous November 19, 2016

"I just left my doctor office and got Mirena inserted. I took 800mg of ibuprofen and honestly you guys, I barely felt the insertion! I swear PAP smears are more painful than what I just experienced! I did feel a teeny little pinch but nothing like the stories I am reading here. Mind you I have two children so I hear its easier if you have kids. So far zero bleeding, zero cramping or discomfort. I should have done this years ago!"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

"Cut long story short - I'm 21 years old I've had a lot of problems with my left ovary since I was 14yearsold. I tend to get a lot of cysts on it yet my right ovary is perfect. My gynaecologist suggested that after trying so many pills I was still getting cysts and my periods were horrendous, to try the Mirina coil WORST decision of my life. At first they tried for 45 minutes to get it in and it would not go so I was told to come back in 2weeks which I did and again it took a lot of trouble and took 1hr and 25 mins until it was in place. After it was in it was just like period cramping. A week after this my stomach bloated making me look 5/6 months pregnant and the pain was excruciating! 1week after having it put in I've had it removed!"

Caits November 16, 2016

"I have had the Mirena for 5 months. I HATE IT!! I've had my period for 2 months at a time with some light spotting in between. I'm experiencing abdominal pain all the time. I lose my appetite for 2-4 days at a time. Yet, I'm still gaining weight. I have literally no sex drive, and I'm always moody. I have had 3 kidney infections, 4 bladder infections and one cyst. Don't get me started on my acne, weird discharge and chin hairs!! I love the idea of 5yr protection, but this is NOT for me. Thankfully tomorrow my fianc"

OutgoingMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

"Hey y'all, I was on here a few days ago trying to read up and gather as much info before moving forward with the IUD. I had it done this morning and it hurt for about three seconds. It's been about five hours and I haven't had any cramping. I'm a mom of three amazing kiddos and my periods aren't heavy even after having a dnc to remove polyps. I wanted to give this a try and hopefully I won't have periods anymore. I'll post an update in a few days."

Beautiful Edge (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016