User Reviews for Mirena

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"Extremely effective birth control that makes me feel confident and safe as a single young woman. My friends have had pregnancy scares while taking the pill so it is nice that Mirena removes all that fear since I don't risk pregnancy by forgetting to take a pill. However, the insertion was excruciating and an absolutely horrible experience. I don't regret it though because it has completely stopped my menstruation saving me so much money on period products."

nyc2017 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2017

"It came out"

Aprilrabon1 November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"From the get go it was not good. Yes the doctors gave me the informational pamphlet and yes they listed the possible side effects, but even after reading many many reviews of mirena that stated how bad the thing messed with some people's hormones I thought... no not me. I should be fine, plus the doctor assured me I would probably be period free and most women go symptom free. Birth control that i've used in the past never affected me much, but mirena was no bueno for me. Weight gain, terrible sluggishness, acne like a mother and continuous bleeding. I seriously felt depressed absolutely zero motivation to work out or do active things like I normally do. I got it removed right away."

kristenj23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First Mirena inserted in 2006 by a trained nurse in the UK after my third kid. I can't recall it being painful but did take painkillers before and after the procedure and my periods stopped immediately - FANTASTIC. Moved to the OZ and had it changed during a medical procedure - under aesthetic in 2011. Also no problems what so ever! At the beginning of this year I started spotting and my GP advised I needed the Mirena changed. Gynaecologist would not do it in his rooms as he said I had never had a natural birth (3 - C-sections) so had it done under GA. It has now been 3 months and I have been bleeding CONSTANTLY! Honestly have had enough, mood swings are awful, feeling faint and oily skin ever since! - Seriously want it out now!!"

HadEnoughNow (taken for 10 years or more) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my iud put in in August and I literally have not stopped bleeding since. My doctor told me I could bleed for up to 6 months (it’s been 3) but I didn’t think that it would be CONSTANT. The first 2 weeks were awful. Given, I don’t have the highest pain tolerance, but I was truly in a lot of pain for about a month after. Getting the IUD put in was so painful for me. The actual process only took about 10 minutes, but I sat in the room being fanned by a poor nurse and her giving me juice so I didn’t pass out for an hour. Hopefully, after 6 months all will be normal and that the pain will be worth it."

GraceLGB November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the Mirena for 4 months, and I received it after having my first child. At first, it was amazing. Insertion did not hurt me what so ever. I did take medicine afterwards, but the day after I felt back to normal. Now, a few months later, all the side effects are popping up. I felt alone, depressed, and suicidal. I felt like I was drowning. I have constant headaches, a weight gain of 20 pounds in FOUR months. I thought this was all just due to my new postpartum life, but after reading others saying they gained weight I decided to get it out. Sex is incredibly painful for me and feels like I'm being stabbed. Periods lasting 2 weeks, then off 2 weeks, then again. This drug is terrible, although I really wish it had worked for me."

Alexa62537 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was really scared to get the IUD but had it inserted 9 months ago after being on and off the pill. Due to health reasons I had to choose an option that was low or no estrogen. I had mine inserted under anesthesia due to LEEP procedure ( Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure) done on my cervix a few years earlier. After insertion the cramps were really bad and I had a lot of bleeding. I had bad cramps on and off for a few months and quite a bit of spotting. I still get short brief cramps around my period. My period is longer than before but is very light and I can use just pantyliners. Compared to what I went through with the pill Mirena has been a lot better and it's nice not having to think about it. My advice is everyone is different, so you won't know if it's for you until you try it."

LNM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had Mirena 5 years and it worked perfectly and had no problems... Then I had it taken out and another put in. Ever since I have had migraines and acne on chin and back and sometimes I get a sharp pain in the area where the mirena is placed, it hasn't moved, or embedded. I don't understand how the first one was so perfect and now the past year with second one has been so awful... I don't know what to do at this point!?"

Ayhmb November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking Acetimenaphen one hour prior to my appointment as directed by my doctor, I experienced no pain having the device installed. I did, however, have pretty painful cramping for four hours about after 30 minutes after Mirena was inserted on September 27th. (2 weeks after my last period had ended). I had light spotting for 2 days, then my period came a week later as scheduled on October 5th. I had no severe cramping/migraines as I typically do and my flow went from very heavy (before Mirena) to mild/light (after Mirena). Although my period ended after the typical 7 days, I continued to have light spotting/discharge for 21 days until my period started again on October 31st. I'm now at 28 days of having some sort of blood/discharge with no relief in sight. My sex life is non-existent, the hormones are also affecting my mood (not in a good way) and I've developed acne at 42 on my usually pristine skin. A 3-6 month adjustment window filled with acne, mood swings, no sex and irregular bleeding is not looking so appealing. I'm now considering removal."

Ms6ft2 November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So this is the 3rd Mirena that I've had. I'm 23 and we have 3 children. Now I never had any issues with my first 2 mirena , but iIve noticed since I got my last one back in August 2016 after my 3rd baby that I've been having constant bleeding, horrible acne and my sex drive is out the window. It's like I can't even get a damn orgasm and trust me our sex was GREAT before this 3rd one. My mood is just so ugly and I get so emotional sometimes ! Definitely going to get it removed!!!"

Angelica! (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a love/hate relationship with Mirena. When it was inserted, it was uncomfortable for sure. I also bled like the river nile for about a month straight, my body took a break for a week and then bled again for another 2 weeks. I had it placed in June, it's now the end of October. I spot every now and then and almost always have brown discharge. However, I am prone to long horrendous periods and migraines without BC and since the initial bleeding has stopped, my migraines are fewer and the bleeding seems to be as well. BUT, I have acne. On my chin, neck and back and that is really frustrating. Weight hasn't changed, but bloating is present, and breasts are always tender. Yeast infections too. I'm considering removal."

Rachh1209 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 24 years old I chose mirena for the simply fact that birth control pill was killing my sex drive. However, on January 2018 is going to be a year with Mirena and I have notice gained weight, my belly looks different I feel bloated I don't feel slim and sexy like before. I had noticed acne on my back and break-outs on my face and forehead. I'm thinking to have it removed but I'm not sure now what contraceptive to use."

tayshalee (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello, so far I feel okay... I just literally got the Mirena at 12pm today. The reviews I just read has me super scared but I'm going to do updates along with changes in my weight. Right when I got it, it felt like the starting of my menstrual cycle. (felt like everything was falling out) the insertion felt like a mean as pinch and as if someone was drawing a straight line with a sharp pencil inside you but it was really really quick!!!!! I took a motrin right afterwards so now at 2:31 I feel fine!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I decided to try the Mirena since my friend said it worked wonders. I had it put in April. Had nothing but heavy periods and terrible pain. Found out it had displaced and another put in. (July). Its now October and I have not had even a slight break from the bleeding and the pain. I asked the doc if he would consider a Hysterectomy because I have other issues that would benefit from one. But they refuse. I'm 21 with 2 kids, and have a constant battle with my girlie bits. So far in my experience I would not recommend the Mirena to Anyone."

Briie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hidden internal organ life threatening dangers after 6yrs of device removal. 10yrs. 17 Hospitals 8 surgery's Cancer, Disease, Osteoporosis, permanent life long damage including Medically Mirena Iud Homelessness for 5yrs. in/out hospitals fighting for my life! Let me not forget the countless non educated Doctors & Hospitals who had no clue until it was almost too late for my life! Now 10yrs later Intracranial Hypertension - Pseudotumor Cerebri. Heart Enlarged & Several years of BP being in 200's, latest as of October BP 243/102. Currently working with multiple Doctors. So please tell me how myself and thousands of women from Europe, Germany & U.S. are experiencing these IUD traumas! The Dangers will be EXPOSED!!"

Kaila Truth (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had mirena for last 4yrs. No problem since I've had it and I love it"

Anonymous October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got it put in during my six weeks post baby appointments after having my son who is now five. I had it taken out when he was two in a half and I haven't got pregnant since. It had shifted but they never told me I couldn't have kids. I haven't even got infertility testing done yet"

tiyanna91 September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 32 years old, (2 children 11 & 2) & just had the mirena removed yesterday, after having it for 1 year. It's the only form of birth control I have ever used, but I have friends that had used pill, shot, the arm implant & Mirena. Most agree that The mirena was the best. Few said that theirs didn't stay in place & one said she had to have surgery to remove because it actually embedded to a part of her body it shouldn't have. The only issue I have had this past year is weight gain and irregular periods. I had the mirena removed to see if I feel better without it, if so I'll have to try to find another form of birth control, if not I'll probably go back to the mirena. Now that it's been removed I'm having major cramps though"

Julie R.W. September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had the mirena IUD for 5 months now and so far I've loved it!! I haven't had any weight gain or acne symptoms that everyone talks about in their reviews. I bled for maybe three days after the procedure and haven't had a period since. The procedure sucks but its bearable. It felt like intense cramping for maybe a minute then it's over. I suggest taking 800mg of ibuprofen before and after because I did have cramps and dizziness for the whole day. I switched to mirena from oral BC because oral BC made me absolutely crazy (crying at every little thing, irrational, emotional, blowing up at people for no reason, ect) ladies DON'T LET THE REVIEWS SCARE YOU because every body reacts differently.. you truly have to try it out for yourself!!"

Sami Jo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had hair loss and lack of appetite when I had Mirena. I always felt sick. When I got it out I had delayed return of fertility for 3.5 years."

Heybaby458 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Mirena caused severe cramping 4 days a week, an inflamed cervix, and caused weight gain. Doc kept saying I was just adjusting. After 1.5 years I got it out and feel so much better. Seriously consider how this can affect your health."

Notforme September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was really excited for Mirena because I suffer from seveer cramps and a very heavy period. This definitely helps that. But my period was irregular, showed up for 2 weeks at a time sometimes, every other week, after sex....there was no rhyme or reason and incredibly annoying. I also had other symptoms that I did not link to Mirena initially until I started doing research and it all made sense. Depression and anger slowly crept in. I chalked it up to being exhausted all the time (another symptom) and not having patience now that I had 2 kids instead of 1. Terrible mood swings. I gained 30 pounds. I always had acne on my chin. My hair thinned terribly. Again, I thought these were from having another baby, but 2 1/2 years later & its the same"

Lyn31 September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yes, it was quite painful to insert even with two Tyleno-3 tablets and a numbing gel, however totally worth it as birth control. But... I've gained 60 pounds in 8 months! I'm eating very clean - no sugar, no junk food, barely any carbs and I'm a heifer now!!! Going to my gynecologist tomorrow and getting it removed, I can't deal with this anymore!"

SmithandCult August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DON'T GET THE MIRENA IUD. I wanted to love the Mirena, I really did. I'm 23, no kids & wanted a low maintaince birth control. Insertion & initial cramping were pretty bad but thats normal. I liked my IUD for the first year or so. Didn't gain weight like I did on the pill & no real side effects. But my love for the IUD turned to hatred when I discovered it had given me an OVARIAN CYST. I started having an excruciating pain deep in my abdomen. The pain was right next to my hip bone and was unlike ANY pain I've ever had. It would radiate down my leg & up my back. Some days I couldn't even stand up or go to work. Finally got an ultrasound and discovered it was a cyst so now its out and I feel SO much better. Please don't get the Mirena!!"

lizzlee56 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My mirena was inserted less than a month ago. The side effects were okay initially with the cramping. I did have spasms in my rectal area. I had a follow up to check for the strings and the strings could not be found. An ultrasound was completed and the IUD was found out of place. I had to get an x-ray as well to confirm the position. Now I have to have outpatient surgery to get it removed. I hoped that I wouldn't have to go through this. But I guess that I may have been at a higher risk since I'm nursing. I will not use this again."

Elaine C (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017