User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"Hi, I need some advice. I'm 20 years old and I've never been pregnant, I had the mirena coil fitted about 3 weeks ago, the procedure didn't go so well and the doctor had to dilate my cervix as she wasn't able to place the coil. It's been 3 weeks now and me and my partner are starting to have sex again but I'm feeling slight discomfort and a little pain, has anyone else felt this and if so is it normal?"

Mikaela b (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had very little issue with insertion and mild cramps after. NOTE: BREATHE!!! Can't stress enough. Thankfully I have an excellent doctor who coached me thru. I had taken ibuprofen before, and took the cervix softener (whatever it's called) about 8 hours prior. She also numbed with lidocaine. Very helpful so ask for it! When breathing ask for the doc to tell u when insertion is happening. Take deep breath right before and out. That way the cervix will open to allow for easy insertion. Otherwise it's more so forced and the after pain is greater. There's a connection between our jaws and cervix. So don't hold your breath or bite down but breath thru so less pain. Barely any cramps the following days."

JAM41 April 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Mirena was highly recommended to me by my doctor. I asked a few friends of mine who were already on mirena and they had nothing but positive reviews of it. I have had heavy painful periods ever since puberty and I was horrible at taking the pills. I eventually went off the pill because it was effecting my hormone level way too much and did nothing to ease my pain or heaviness of my period. Regardless of taking ibuprofen before having the IUD inserted as well as taking a prescribed misoprostol to relax my cervix, the pain was unbearable, I have an extremely good pain tolerance, but I ended up fainting afterwards in my doctors office. The pain that night was so bad even T3's didn't help. Otherwise I have had no spotting or bleeding."

Mel E U (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Meh, I like it for the sheer convenience factor. In 1 year, I've gained 60lbs with and w/o dieting. I, in my late 30s, have reentered puberty (maybe menopause) with the new found acne and mood swings. Cramps are here and there, severe as they may be, they're not the worst side effect. I'm very arthritic now, some joints are crippling to try and use. Hot flashes suck, although I saved a fortune on heating this winter. Acid reflux was increased. My hair is super brittle and dry now. Now for the plus side. I DO NOT bleed anymore :) I may decide to suffer through on that alone. It has helped my depression and anxiety, so much that I have been able to almost wean off the antidepressants. I love the shelf life of five years too."

Dac20190 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For me, Mirena has been the perfect birth control option. I take a number of other medications, so a pill might have interacted with them. I gave Mirena a shot and could not be happier! You don't have to think about anything! Insertion is painful, but worth it. Give it a try! If you're not happy, your doctor can certainly take it out!"

HokieBaby (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I first started researching the Mirena when my Dr suggested it so me because I sucked at taking the pill everyday, had terribly painful and heavy periods, and I had no sexual desire at all. After reading everything online I was very nervous about the insertion and I almost backed out last minute. Getting it in was very, very painful for me. The cramps were next to unbearable. I missed the next day of school and work because I was in so much pain. After about the 4th day, the pain and cramps finally started to subside. I bled for about 3 months after. Nothing that a simple panty liner didn't take care of. It was always just light spotting. I am so glad I kept it because it is almost a year later and I love it. I would recommend to anyone."

ehc April 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was nervous to get Mirena after reading reviews, but my doc strongly encouraged for medical reasons. About 3.5 months ago I got the IUD inserted. While I survived, I'm still haunted by how painful it was. There was a slight complication (apparently my uterus was tilted so the 1st attempt at insertion failed & she had to give me a numbing shot IN THE VAG & adjust my uterus) the 2nd attempt succeeded but the cramps were so intense. Cramps lasted 2 days & I bled for 2 weeks straight. After that my period came normal but lasted a couple days extra. My last period was slightly lighter than usual so I'm hoping it drops off soon. So far it's been worth the pain bc periods are more bearable, it's super effective & nice to not worry about a pill"

Lyd. R. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Bad side effects! I'm 20 years old and have not had kids and got the mirena due to heavy periods, this was 2 years ago now. Getting it inserted was so painful I was traumatised by the experience. However I have not had a period or spotting in 2 years. Downfall I developed acne, depression, anxiety and horrible mood swings. More recently I got BV (bacterial vaginosis) (horrible smell down there) antibiotics as well as creams are not getting rid of this reoccurring for 4 months and now after some serious thinking I'll be getting the IUD removed as the side effects are not worth it anymore! I can't wait to get it out and start feeling like myself again. I hope the removal doesn't hurt as bad! Do your research."

Michellee06 April 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Other than being effective in preventing pregnancy, the side effects I experienced with the Mirena were not enjoyable. I really liked the idea that it was a local hormone as opposed to a systemic hormone (only puts the hormones into your reproductive organs instead of throughout the entire body which is what the pill did), and the convenience of not having to take a pill every day was the biggest positive! However, due to the hormones being local, I noticed the positive benefits I experience with the pill such as not getting acne, came back. My skin got really bad. Also, I ended up getting my period more frequently, for longer periods, as well as had spotting in between periods for the entire 2 years of having my IUD I got it removed."

UnpleasedUser1234 April 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the mirena inserted 4 days ago now, I decided to get the mirena as I have very very painful period cramps and I had recently moved to a new area and getting the pill was a nightmare. The insertion for me was very very painful, the doctor had to dilate my cervix so it made the cramping even worse, the pain was so bad that I was actually sick. However I'm still experiencing bad cramping days later. I won't say at the moment if I hate it or not as it's been only a couple of days but i hope the cramping stops soon!"

Mikaela b April 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has been an amazing contraceptive. My girlfriend is really happy with the results and I find it to be very effective."

c. Lo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the mirena inserted yesterday. I should have done the research before because after reading so many reviews, I may have passed and stayed on the pill. The only reason I decided upon the IUD is because I trust my Dr. I have 2 children and still nursing my 11 month old. I am using this form of bc to prevent a 3rd pregnancy, at least until we are ready to make the decision. Being on the pill, it was too hard for me to remember to take it everyday. The only positive I can share is the actual use as a birth control. The insertion was very painful. I wish I would have known about the possibility of anesthesia. The two Motrin 800's I took prior did nothing for me. Day two and I am experiencing awful cramping. No bleeding but pain."

Msconti (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 24, I don't have kids and I've never been pregnant. I've been with my boyfriend for 8 years, and kids just are not in our near future. I have been on the pill since I was 14 and just recently we wanted to try something long term. I got the Mirena put in 2 days ago. I was nervous and so scared because of all the bad reviews I read about it before I went to have it put in. While getting the Mirena put in there were 3 cramps, each cramp were worse than the other but none were unbearable. Once the Mirena was put in, they did an ultra sound to be sure that it was in place and my doctor said everything looked great. I went back to work after I got it put in, I was tired and a little uncomfortable for the rest of the day. Then all good"

Mir_Rae March 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had my 2nd Mirena IUD removed NOT to get it again. I have had the Mirena for 10 yrs. The moods swings were horrible, hair loss, I was tired all the time with anxiety, depression, weight gain (125lbs) that I could not shed with the IUD, no sexual desire, vaginal dryness, yeast infections. You name it I had it. My doctor at the time would just tell me it was depression ( I was going thru a lot so I fell into "this is my life now" and went with what my doctor told me). We moved I was tired of being tired. I went to see another doctor and had my IUD removed. I didn't need it my husband had a vasectomy 6yrs ago...I just loved having no periods. It was not worth all the other medical problems it brought. LADIES PLEASE do your research!"

Jennifer​ W (taken for 10 years or more) March 28, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It caused me so much pain from the day it got put in. I had the normal symptoms that were to be expected. My body was trying to expel the IUD. It caused me to go to hospital a lot. I have PCOS because of this brand now. Never get this brand."

HP Reject March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I've had the Marina for 6 years and I'm 24. I used to have heavy bleeding and tried absolutely everything the rod, injections the pill you name it I have tried it.... this is the best thing I have ever had I was under when I first got it out in. A year ago I got it done again I have never had kids and yes it was a bit painful but nothing that I couldn't handle! Honestly couldn't give this a better wrap hardly any bleeding maybe every couple months I spot for a day or two no acne, weight gain or cramps. I feel a lot of women need to figure this out for themselves as every body is different and yes you may get side effects but the first 6 months it's getting used to your body so you just need to give it time to adjust to you."

Jessey184 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I chose to get the Mirena to help with the symptoms of my period and naturally having 5-7 years of birth control was also attractive. I found the pain of insertion was not unlike some of the cramping I usually experience during my period, except it was one big one versus twenty minutes of painful contractions. Following the procedure, I had very mild cramping. I have had some mild spotting, but nothing a panty liner can't handle. I am now on my period and my flow has already seemed to have lightened and my cramping is less severe. I am not currently sexually active, so I can't say much about effectiveness as birth control, but stats say over 99% effective, and condoms can only get it closer to 100%. Very pleased so far."

cbeau17 March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 20 years old and I've been on various forms of birth control since I was 16 due to horrible cramps, among other things. I could never find one that worked quite right with minimal side effects. I was nervous about an IUD at first, but 8 months later and I absolutely love it. I haven't had a period in 5 months, and have had none of the typical negative effects that I got from the pill. I would recommend this to anyone, and the insertion procedure is nowhere near as bad as the reviews say!"

collegegirl649448532798428954 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the mirena fitted on the 13th Feb, having it fitted wasn't to bad, just felt a little uncomfortable. But after, it was fitted I did experience the worse cramps ever, it was so painful - I've never had children so I don't know if it was because of that. I bled consecutively for 4 weeks, heavy bleeding for 1 then really light, spotting for 3. However I didn't have a single cramp. Soon after that, I've had no bleeding, no pains. No periods since so it seems to be doing the job, I think you've just got to persevere with it and let it get use to your body before you start criticising it. However it doesn't work for everyone :)"

LauraLynch_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the mirena after giving birth about 7 weeks post partum. I bleed terribly almost every day. Terrible back pains and no energy. Sex went out the window. My doc said to give it three months to regulate but this sucks. I'm bloated all the time and can't loose any weight. So far I'm thinking its not worth it. Obviously, its doing its job but this is not fun and its ruining my sex life !! Also been getting headaches that won't go away."

softangel12 March 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had the Mirena almost 5 years now. I no longer have periods. This saves me a week of pain a month. Also if you have endometriosis it helps stop the growth. I highly recommend."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 23 no children. It didn't really hurt that much going it. A few hours later I had bad cramps which were painful. My periods stopped only little spotting which was brill as I had heavy periods before. This is brilliant. But it's the cramps. They only last 2 mins but they are so intense and its nearly had me crying. But then I haven't had no cramps for 2 weeks but now I've got them again. If it lasted longer I would of had it out by now cause the pain is unreal. I am happy about no periods hopefully it will settle. I'll give it another few months and if I still have these cramps it's coming out."

Anonymous March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on my second placement of mirena, due to be changed out in Nov. 2017. I had it inserted after the birth of my third child so insertion wasn't to bad. I never had severe cramping or heavy bleeding during my period and after insertion I stopped getting periods. The second insertion has been very similar, however the past year and a half I've dealt with weight game, migraines, mild lower abdominal pains and change in mood. I'm thinking it's my body changing with age, will be 30 in September, so it's affecting me differently. I've also had random spotting but usually only when I wipe and only for a max of one day. I've been very happy with this birth control. I will more than likely have a third implant due to not wanting any more babies."

Mrs.T March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had my mirena since Tuesday (4 days). I have never had kids. I was not on my cycle. I have horrible periods so my doctor recommended this. In my mind I was thinking this is going to be horrible as I had other exams that had me in horrendous pain. Insertion took about 2 minutes. Only pain I felt was when he was measuring the uterus. Felt like cramps. I did not even feel it going in. The Dr said ok that's it. I had no idea it was over. Afterwards I went to lunch. Little cramps after I got home, through the night and the next day. Just took tylenol. Only spotted the day that I got it. So far so good."

Shawndb1981 March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So far so good! Had it put in today under anaesthetic. No pain, no cramping and no bleeding. Fingers crossed my perfect experience continues. Will keep you all posted."

Mands4321 March 18, 2017