User Reviews for Liletta

Birth Control
5.7

Reviews for Liletta

Cat May 1, 2021

For Birth Control: “The insertion (12/30/2020) was probably the most traumatic experience of my life, I passed out afterwards due to the pain and meds my dr gave me. 4 months in and I’m still getting excruciating cramps every day. They are severe to the point of taking my breath away or even vomiting. Plus constant nausea just like morning sickness but all day. My eczema has returned on my scalp and hands/feet, with my prescription medicine no longer working. I also experience severe anxiety now. I have absolutely no sex drive anymore. I’m developing painful cystic acne on my chin, jawline, and forehead. I’m meeting with a new doctor next week for a second opinion on my reproductive health as my current doctor has listened to none of my concerns and tells me that they’ve heard no complaints from their other patients about the Liletta. This forum obviously proves otherwise! The only positive to this IUD is that it prevents pregnancy but at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t.”

Lunadelrey April 20, 2021

For Birth Control: “So overall, the IUD has been a blessing. It made my sex drive go up to the point that my boyfriend of 10 years avoids going to bed at the same time as me if he’s tired”

Kgelly April 6, 2021

For Birth Control: “9/2016 right after I gave birth I had the Liletta in and within a day or 2, I wasn't bleeding it completely stopped. Then 5 plus months later I started bleeding heavy for like a month. I asked friends & even Drs my body is trying to adjust still after 45 days. I felt Ill and exhausted from loss of blood, then to find out my IUD fell out! They did more testing before insertion of a new one during that time and the appointments I was denied a replacement because we'll I was pregnant!! After I had my second child they replaced it sometime in Feb 2018 I've had no more periods sense no pregnancies now just extreme pain inside my vaginal area around my uterus I have an infection on my uterus, a UTI on 2 antibiotics and need vaginal ultrasound to try to find my IUD because they can"t find it, can't feel the strings or even sure it hasn't taken it's own route. I hurt inside like nails dragging and scratching inside. I have no sex drive because of the pain and if I give in and have sex I have blood on my toilet paper when I wipe.”

Heath September 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “I previously had the Mirena and loved it. My Gyn said they switched to Liletta and it would be the same experience. WRONG! I’ve gained 10+ lbs & am constantly bloated. I’m more active & have a better diet than I’ve ever ever had. My skin looks like I’m going through puberty. I’m omitting a smell that is god awful. I have no energy, no libido, constant mood swings, reflux, nausea and I just feel like an alien in my own body. I chalked it up to turning 30 this year coupled with the weirdness that COVID has brought, but in the back of my mind I’ve known there is something wrong beyond that. I’m so glad I found this forum and know that these changes are caused by the IUD. I would rather manage periods then become a different person like I have been. Everyone is different but for me there is a HUGE difference between the Mirena & Liletta IUD and I cannot wait to get this thing removed & get back to being myself.”

alize February 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “First, insertion was extremely painful. I am comparing it to a Paragard insertion about 10 years ago, a breeze. I had Paragard for 8 years with no issues, and do not have kids. I opted for Liletta last month. I've noticed such a dramatic shift in my mood and personality for the worse, as well as bloating and weight gain. What makes the side effects even more dramatic is that I have been working out really consistently (running 10 miles/week, yoga, strength), which would normally lift my spirits and mitigate any winter blues, but nope, I'll get off the treadmill and feel on the verge of tears for no reason. It's affecting my work and my relationship, I want it out asap. I've also been crampy and spotting for the entire month since it was inserted. I realize that part is meant to be normal, but it's like insult to injury taking all the other side effects into account. The pros are: I'm not pregnant. Worth it? Not at the cost of my relationship and mental health, and physical well being.”

ML · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 28, 2021

For Birth Control: “I got Liletta about 3 years ago. Very painful insertion but pain went away about 1 hour later. My next two periods were unbearable. Like I thought an ovary was exploding and couldn't walk or breath. I have been having pain on and off every week that are similar to endometriosis pains with light bleeding. I have PCOS and I told the Dr and they said it would be fine but I'm starting to wonder about it. I have no sex drive, I feel tired all the time and I have a mental fog that I specifically remembered starting around the time of my insertion. I also gained about 15 pounds. The cramps radiate out from my ovaries to my back and down my thighs. My Dr keeps telling me it's normal... I want to get it removed as soon as possible.”

TJ June 3, 2019

For Birth Control: “I'm sharing for those of you considering! I'll start by saying EVERYONE'S BODY IS DIFFERENT! Especially with online reviews, I notice that people (as per human nature) tend to share their negative experiences and rarely do so when it's positive. I spent HOURS reading reviews online for all different kinds of IUD's... and it scared the hell out of me! Horror story after horror story and I psyched myself up so much fearing that I would be one of them. My experience was AMAZING! I give massive credit to my doctor - it's all about the expertise and skill of how it's put in. 800 mg of ibuprofen few hours before. 2/10 scale of pain/the mildest cramp during insertion. Drove home. Forgot about it a day later. Only light spotting and no other side effects. 3 weeks post insertion, I'm feeling so great! Trust YOUR body and don't comparing it to anyone else's and "what could be." I know I did, and I wish I hadn't.... :) Best of luck!!!!!”

CJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 30, 2020

For Birth Control: “So grateful to have found this forum and not feel so alone! I had two Mirenas (2009-2018) which were awesome, but then a doc switched me to Liletta in April 2018 promising me it was "just the same, but cheaper!" - yeah right. Since going on Liletta, my sex drive has COMPLETELY disappeared. I used to enjoy sex so much, but for the past 2.5 years I haven't even felt the desire to masturbate. I feel stupid that it took me this long to realize that the culprit is most likely the Liletta. I just had it removed before Christmas, send me luck for a restored libido in the new year! Sharing my experience in the hopes that it will help other vagina-having folk.”

Ari September 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “The insertioin process of Liletta was great, mild cramping. Spotting at first for about 4-5 days after. I am now 7 months in and I spot for 3 weeks at a time. I’m good for 2 weeks then spot for 3 more weeks. My sex drive is incredibly high and it’s putting a strain on my sex life. This is my first time getting on birth control. I was never a heavy bleeder just a fertile Mertile. Got pregnant easy. Don’t get me wrong I’m grateful I am not pregnant but I love sex and I am bummed with all this spotting.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 18, 2020

For Birth Control: “Liletta gave me cystic acne, reoccurring infections, pelvic pain and out of control bleeding. After a year and 6 months I removed it and I am already feelings relieved and it’s only been 24 hours. Every woman is different so I can’t say that my experience will be yours but I wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy.”

HappyAshley · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 18, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've been on liletta for a few weeks now. Insertion wasn't bad at all. My doctor warned me that I may feel a slight pinch and some cramping but I didn't at all. She also warned me that everyones different and so are our periods. I'm typically a verrrry heavy bleeder but with this I've spotted. Which in my book is a miracle. I've had no cramping, no mood swings, no negative thoughts. My man is well endowed and neither of us feel the strings at all. My sex drive has gone up and I couldn't be more happy over all. 6/17/2020 P.s. I would recommend a female doctor whom also uses the same birth control so she can relate to you.”

20something · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had Liletta inserted at Planned Parenthood about 4 1/2 months ago after being frustrated with my birth control pills. Most reviews here are negative so I thought I’d share my positive experience. The insertion was uncomfortable but the pain was bearable for me and was quick, I drove myself home after. I have not had any weight fluctuations that are abnormal ( I am 20, 5’9 and 130 lbs ). I did have light bleeding for 2 weeks, but my period has now stopped. I hate getting my period so I am okay with taking a quick test to make sure I’m not pregnant to be safe. Hope this helps!”

Q · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2018

For Birth Control: “Date Placed: 04/18 Today's Date: 9/12 Still experiencing NEVER-ENDING SPOTTING. When it was first placed everything was normal for a month but then I got a REALLY HEAVY FLOW for about 3 weeks and had to use Super Plus tampons. Once that finally stopped I had no bleeding for maybe two weeks. Now here I am with the BROWNISH REDDISH DISCHARGE. Has anyone else experienced any of these things?”

Chelley88 November 14, 2016

For Birth Control: “I guess most people only review when they have a bad experience. I personally love it. I had the copper IUD which gave me headaches and hurt like heck. Liletta does not give me headaches and I don't feel it at all. No acne - at all. No weight gain. Actually I feel a bit slimmer, but I eat right and work out. Sex drive - increased. The only possible negative may be mood swings, but I've always had an attitude.”

Mom of 5 April 2, 2021

For Birth Control: “Had this Liletta IUD put in January 2020 because of irregular and heavy periods. The insertion was not bad. I experienced cramps for a day or two. But the spotting that followed was unreal. It lasted about 5 months accompanied with my regular, irregular periods. Additionally, I have gained 15 pounds which is frustrating considering that I have maintained a consistent weight my whole adult life (except pregnancy) due to following a strict exercise and diet regimen. My sex drive is also completely gone, and been replaced with headaches, mood swings, anxiety, and depression. I am grateful to have found this website to learn this is not all in my head and others have experienced the same side effects. It’s not worth it anymore, and will be having the IUD removed shortly.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got the Liletta IUD 3 months ago and at first it was AWFUL. Cramps were awful upon insertion and almost unbearable for about a month afterwards. I never bled at all, but the cramps were constant. Since then I couldn't have been happier. I have lost weight (not necessarily related, but didn't gain any weight). I have seen a dramatic increase in sex drive. I have been on different birth control pills in the past that made me very depressed, so I was worried the IUD might have this effect. My mood has been great! The only negative thing is that I do have more acne now, but nothing that is too extreme and needs more than over the counter medicine. My period has also almost completely stopped and it's only been 3 months which is great!!”

Bree January 10, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve had Liletta for what will be 3 years this month. Overall it has done its job seeing that I have not gotten pregnant. Pros for this birth control for me would be shorter & lighter periods, not as harsh cramps, and bigger boobs. But what made me make a review on this site was seeing that so many women also experienced some of the same cons. I’ve had terrible depression & anxiety since starting it. Granted I am naturally a very emotional person so for the longest I thought it was just me. But reading these post & thinking back on the last 3 yrs I can see that my emotions have been 10x worse than usual. I’m easily stressed now and overly anxious. Also extremely unmotivated and lazy & have had so many random negative thoughts. As if that’s not already enough.. I’ve gained soooo much weight (went from 130 to 170 ”

Pay pay · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

For Birth Control: “I would never recommend the Liletta to anyone. I gained 20 -30 pounds in the first couple months after insertion and have had the worst time getting rid of the weight even after removal. While on Liletta my moods were drastically changed. I experienced sad, dark and depressing thoughts. Normally being rather optimistic I knew something was very different about my mood. I experienced an unpleasant strong vaginal odor all of the time which was embarrassing. Just every terrible side effect imaginable. Just a week or two after removal most side effects are gone... except this pesky extra weight. DON’T DO IT LADIES! Love you lady parts and don’t feed it poison!”

momof5 December 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had Liletta put in 6 weeks after I gave birth to my last child. The insertion process was painful with cramping after wards. I made my appointment to have it removed, which is 4 months shy of being in for 3 years. Pain was very small, more of a discomfort than anything. Four days after it was removed, I had the heaviest period I have ever had in my life! I started passing large blood clots and cramping very badly. I had to start wearing the largest overnight pads and depends because it wouldn't stop! I ended up in the Emergency Room a week later because it kept getting worse. My ears started ring, I had zero energy, I could hear my heart beat in my ears & heart rate was high. I lost so much blood that I was admitted to the hospital! To get the bleeding to slow down, I had to have 2 Estrogen treatments through my IV and a Progesterone pill. I now take 8 pills a day, and am still struggling to feel normal. They said it could take months. By the way, I'm still bleeding! Don't get a IUD!”

Jay November 2, 2019

For Birth Control: “I’ve had Liletta going on to a year and it was the absolute biggest mistake I’ve ever made. As far as it “not getting me pregnant”, sure, it’s done its job but the side effects are the absolute worst. I’ve never had acne in my life and now I do. My periods seem to last forever. I never not have my period. I’m always spotting, it never fully goes away. MOST IMPORTANTLY, my mental health. I have experienced crucial mood swings, depression and anxiety. I do not feel like myself AT ALL. One day I’m good, the next day I’m all over the place. One minute I’m fine, next moment I’m crying or angry or upset over absolutely nothing. It feels like my body has been invaded and I have zero control over how I feel. The mood swings are crucial as well as the random depression and anxiety. I rather use condoms for the rest of my life than to feel how I feel.”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2019

For Birth Control: “I had the Lilleta IUD inserted to replace using birth control pills. It is amazing! I am 22 (no kids) and have seen absolutely no change in my weight, mood, acne, or sex drive. Don’t let these negative reviews scare you away, people often write about negative experiences and everyone having a good experience doesn't think about doing a review. Insertion was painful for 30 seconds and then mild cramping for about 2 hours but it has been so worth it! I had sex the next day and my boyfriend and I did not notice the string at all. It is a huge benefit to not use a condom or have to worry about any accidents happening. Only negative would be my one period lasting 2 weeks, but the second week was really light. I haven’t had a period since. Highly recommend Liletta!”

Mom3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2020

For Birth Control: “My obgyn convinced me to get this instead of getting my tubes tied after I had my 3rd baby. She also has this IUD and highly recommended it to me. I have had it now for 5 weeks. I had the insertion done at 10 weeks after delivering. I honestly felt nothing, I spot for 2-3 days every week. I got my period x 1 week so far. My periods use to be very heavy, no I just wear a pantyliner. As far as weight gain, I can’t comment because I just had a baby in July. Also I am not breaking out, only on my chin from wearing a mask. Sex drive is good too! I really hope this helps!”

EmJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2019

For Birth Control: “I thankfully did not have any of the extreme side effects of weight gain, constant bleeding or severe acne. I actually did not bleed at all after the initial insertion (which ended up making me more paranoid than I anticipated). HOWEVER, I had constant nausea to the point where there was not a single day where I was able to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner because I always felt so sick. The worst part though is that my mental health completely deteriorated. I constantly felt anxious and depressed and did not feel like myself AT ALL. I had two full-blown anxiety attacks on my honeymoon and started seeing a therapist until I realized it was potentially linked to my IUD. I had my IUD removed about a month and a half ago and went back to hormonal pills and everything about me has completely gone back to normal. Each person is different, but I personally would never use this again.”

Rose · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2021

For Birth Control: “I got the Liletta IUD inserted 3 months ago to this date, and over that time period I have felt my mood become destroyed. At first I was just a little moody and irritable, but now I am on so uncontrollably anxious and depressed I can't really function like normal. Panic attacks out of nowhere (which I never used to have), and just some really dark thoughts that make me feel crazy. This is not like me at all. I am normally so upbeat and happy and this has just made me a mess. Some weeks I would feel fine so I would convince myself "oh, it's just something else that's causing this anxiety." But on month three and I feel so far from my normal mental state. My sex drive was all over the place and the bleeding was almost non stop for the first two months. But that is nothing compared to the way it has mentally affected me. If you are sensitive to drugs at all you should not get this IUD.”

A B June 4, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had Lietta inserted on day 17 of my cycle in hopes of helping with extremely heavy bleeding (cycle length 25-28 days, bleeding 8+oz one day 1 alone). Despite eating a meat rich diet and taking iron pills on and off I remained anemic for 5 years (worse after I had my second child). I was trying to correct naturally but finally drew the line. Insertion was nothing. I don’t know if it was because I pumped myself up or because the doctor gave me a numbing shot down there- but it was no worse than a Pap. I did take one ibuprofen before hand too (super sensitive to meds). I don’t recall any noticeable cramping. I did have some facial flushing likely from whatever local they gave me (again, sensitive), but I went home and worked in the yard and made dinner and had just a few drops of blood on the pad. No spotting since. My next cycle starts tomorrow and I’ll try to update with the bleeding progression that follows in the coming months. Keep your fingers crossed for me!”

lj · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2019

For Birth Control: “I had Liletta inserted 5 weeks ago by my gynecologist. She had me come while I was on my period for easier insertion. The insertion was painful but the pain was over as soon as she was done. I bled lightly a few days after and then spotted last week during my period. Overall, I like it but I have noticed more mood changes than usual. As long as they don’t get worse I will definitely keep this for the whole 3 years! No weight gain but I eat healthy and work out anyway. I was very nervous about the side effects, but everyone’s body is different so you can’t rely on any reviews to tell you how your body will react!”

Nat September 24, 2018

For Birth Control: “I got liletta put in almost a week ago and so far have had a great experience! I am 20 years old and have never had kids. My period cramps are usually not too bad, I'll take a few Ibuprofen and they usually settle down, and my pain tolerance is pretty high. I knew going in that the insertion was going to hurt, however it definitely was tolerable. In the days following, I haven't experienced any heavy cramping (thankfully). The rest of the day after getting it inserted just felt like how I would normally cramp the day before I get my period. I took it easy the 2-3 days after getting it inserted however I feel completely normal now. I have a brownish/yellowish clear discharge but so far no heavy bleeding either. I wanted to leave a review just because the day before I got mine inserted I read the reviews and psyched myself out because they are almost all bad! Every body is different so I'm glad I didn't chicken out because so far so good!”

HF · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 16, 2019

For Birth Control: “This IUD had caused so many health issues for me. I had this IUD and had RAPID weight gain of 50 pounds. I have always been curvy but never overweight or unhealthy. I am now considered obese. My breast size that were DD are now an H. My breast weigh a good 35-40 pounds. I now have shortness of breath because of my weight gain( especially in my chest area) and now have a belly (never had that before my IUD). I got awful headaches and now have reflux and possibly sleep apnea due to my rapid weight gain. I had two different doctors check EVERYTHING that could cause weight gain and the only thing they determined was my IUD (I had great lab work and no diabetes or thyroid issues).I have back fat now and fat around my neck and upper shoulders that I never had before. I went from being an hourglass figure to looking like the mucinex guy. This IUD has completely changed me for the worse. I think it’s extremely unhealthy.”