User Reviews for Liletta to treat Birth Control

Liletta has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 524 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 39% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Liletta Rating Summary

5.7/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Liletta

Heath September 5, 2020

“I previously had the Mirena and loved it. My Gyn said they switched to Liletta and it would be the same experience. WRONG! I’ve gained 10+ lbs & am constantly bloated. I’m more active & have a better diet than I’ve ever ever had. My skin looks like I’m going through puberty. I’m omitting a smell that is god awful. I have no energy, no libido, constant mood swings, reflux, nausea and I just feel like an alien in my own body. I chalked it up to turning 30 this year coupled with the weirdness that COVID has brought, but in the back of my mind I’ve known there is something wrong beyond that. I’m so glad I found this forum and know that these changes are caused by the IUD. I would rather manage periods then become a different person like I have been. Everyone is different but for me there is a HUGE difference between the Mirena & Liletta IUD and I cannot wait to get this thing removed & get back to being myself.”

TJ June 3, 2019

“I'm sharing for those of you considering! I'll start by saying EVERYONE'S BODY IS DIFFERENT! Especially with online reviews, I notice that people (as per human nature) tend to share their negative experiences and rarely do so when it's positive. I spent HOURS reading reviews online for all different kinds of IUD's... and it scared the hell out of me! Horror story after horror story and I psyched myself up so much fearing that I would be one of them. My experience was AMAZING! I give massive credit to my doctor - it's all about the expertise and skill of how it's put in. 800 mg of ibuprofen few hours before. 2/10 scale of pain/the mildest cramp during insertion. Drove home. Forgot about it a day later. Only light spotting and no other side effects. 3 weeks post insertion, I'm feeling so great! Trust YOUR body and don't comparing it to anyone else's and "what could be." I know I did, and I wish I hadn't.... :) Best of luck!!!!!”

Nickyb13 June 10, 2021

“I had Liletta inserted after my last baby. The dr told me it was the same as Mirena but it is NOT. I didn’t have any problems with Mirena but 3 months after Liletta insertion I got Telogen Effluvium and lost a lot of hair. (More pp shedding than I have EVER experienced.) I gained weight and my libido is completely GONE! My hair is continuing to fall out. I had my hormone levels checked via twice and my estrogen level has dropped so low that it barely registers on the charts. My dr told me that could be from the Liletta suppressing my estrogen (and progesterone) production. Those are two VERY important hormones for a woman, especially for hair growth, skin, nails, etc. Nothing like having a birth control that basically puts you into a menopausal state LONG before you are due for that. After having this awful device in me for 14 months I am finally getting it removed tomorrow! I do NOT recommend Liletta to anyone and do NOT let your doctor tell you it is the exact same thing a Mirena.”

Happy to have it removed May 7, 2021

“I had the Liletta inserted shortly after my second child was born. While on Liletta, I did notice an extreme uptick in my sex drive which has been great. But, like others - my anxiety was out of control, moods were up/down, there was an odd odor all the time. But the constant bleeding was what had me mostly concerned. I literally bled non stop. It would be consistent for three weeks, wane off for two, back for a few days, away for another few days, etc. It was awful. I complained to my OB and he chalked it off to “your body is getting used to it” etc. Finally, one and a half years after insertion, I’m two days post removal (had a Mirena put in on Wednesday after getting the Liletta out) and I feel awesome. No pain, physically lighter. My jeans fit better- no bloating, my mood is incredibly brighter- no odor, and NO BLOOD! My experience with the Liletta was not a favorable one.”

alize February 24, 2020

“First, insertion was extremely painful. I am comparing it to a Paragard insertion about 10 years ago, a breeze. I had Paragard for 8 years with no issues, and do not have kids. I opted for Liletta last month. I've noticed such a dramatic shift in my mood and personality for the worse, as well as bloating and weight gain. What makes the side effects even more dramatic is that I have been working out really consistently (running 10 miles/week, yoga, strength), which would normally lift my spirits and mitigate any winter blues, but nope, I'll get off the treadmill and feel on the verge of tears for no reason. It's affecting my work and my relationship, I want it out asap. I've also been crampy and spotting for the entire month since it was inserted. I realize that part is meant to be normal, but it's like insult to injury taking all the other side effects into account. The pros are: I'm not pregnant. Worth it? Not at the cost of my relationship and mental health, and physical well being.”

ML · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 28, 2021

“I got Liletta about 3 years ago. Very painful insertion but pain went away about 1 hour later. My next two periods were unbearable. Like I thought an ovary was exploding and couldn't walk or breath. I have been having pain on and off every week that are similar to endometriosis pains with light bleeding. I have PCOS and I told the Dr and they said it would be fine but I'm starting to wonder about it. I have no sex drive, I feel tired all the time and I have a mental fog that I specifically remembered starting around the time of my insertion. I also gained about 15 pounds. The cramps radiate out from my ovaries to my back and down my thighs. My Dr keeps telling me it's normal... I want to get it removed as soon as possible.”

Lizzie Lou July 8, 2021

“I've been on Liletta for 5 years. I was 24 yrs old 125 lbs Im 5'7. I'm 29 &160 lbs now. Issues I've personally had are - having the IUD implanted hurt REAL bad for me. I literally almost fainted, I felt so awful when I left. I got to my car I balled my eyes out - heavy cramps, bleeding for the next week-bleeding with some cramps for next 3 months straight (not super heavy, just normal) - extreme nausea at night to the point I feel like I'm going to puke but never do (its weird) happened when I first got the implant, has kinda dissipated now I'm at year 5 but not much-bloating, fatigue - cramps got worse for me in the last 2 years, along with my periods coming back to actually bleeding vs spotting - sex was rough for about 6 months - sexual partners stating they can feel it or it pokes them. It got rid my sex drive for about 8 months - so far no babies, no close calls. I will close with this, if you can take something else that isn't as invasive/hard on your body as this, I highly suggest it.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 18, 2020

“Liletta gave me cystic acne, reoccurring infections, pelvic pain and out of control bleeding. After a year and 6 months I removed it and I am already feelings relieved and it’s only been 24 hours. Every woman is different so I can’t say that my experience will be yours but I wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy.”

CJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 30, 2020

“So grateful to have found this forum and not feel so alone! I had two Mirenas (2009-2018) which were awesome, but then a doc switched me to Liletta in April 2018 promising me it was "just the same, but cheaper!" - yeah right. Since going on Liletta, my sex drive has COMPLETELY disappeared. I used to enjoy sex so much, but for the past 2.5 years I haven't even felt the desire to masturbate. I feel stupid that it took me this long to realize that the culprit is most likely the Liletta. I just had it removed before Christmas, send me luck for a restored libido in the new year! Sharing my experience in the hopes that it will help other vagina-having folk.”

20something · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“I had Liletta inserted at Planned Parenthood about 4 1/2 months ago after being frustrated with my birth control pills. Most reviews here are negative so I thought I’d share my positive experience. The insertion was uncomfortable but the pain was bearable for me and was quick, I drove myself home after. I have not had any weight fluctuations that are abnormal ( I am 20, 5’9 and 130 lbs ). I did have light bleeding for 2 weeks, but my period has now stopped. I hate getting my period so I am okay with taking a quick test to make sure I’m not pregnant to be safe. Hope this helps!”

Ari September 5, 2020

“The insertioin process of Liletta was great, mild cramping. Spotting at first for about 4-5 days after. I am now 7 months in and I spot for 3 weeks at a time. I’m good for 2 weeks then spot for 3 more weeks. My sex drive is incredibly high and it’s putting a strain on my sex life. This is my first time getting on birth control. I was never a heavy bleeder just a fertile Mertile. Got pregnant easy. Don’t get me wrong I’m grateful I am not pregnant but I love sex and I am bummed with all this spotting.”

HappyAshley · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 18, 2020

“I've been on liletta for a few weeks now. Insertion wasn't bad at all. My doctor warned me that I may feel a slight pinch and some cramping but I didn't at all. She also warned me that everyones different and so are our periods. I'm typically a verrrry heavy bleeder but with this I've spotted. Which in my book is a miracle. I've had no cramping, no mood swings, no negative thoughts. My man is well endowed and neither of us feel the strings at all. My sex drive has gone up and I couldn't be more happy over all. 6/17/2020 P.s. I would recommend a female doctor whom also uses the same birth control so she can relate to you.”

Q · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2018

“Date Placed: 04/18 Today's Date: 9/12 Still experiencing NEVER-ENDING SPOTTING. When it was first placed everything was normal for a month but then I got a REALLY HEAVY FLOW for about 3 weeks and had to use Super Plus tampons. Once that finally stopped I had no bleeding for maybe two weeks. Now here I am with the BROWNISH REDDISH DISCHARGE. Has anyone else experienced any of these things?”

Chelley88 November 14, 2016

“I guess most people only review when they have a bad experience. I personally love it. I had the copper IUD which gave me headaches and hurt like heck. Liletta does not give me headaches and I don't feel it at all. No acne - at all. No weight gain. Actually I feel a bit slimmer, but I eat right and work out. Sex drive - increased. The only possible negative may be mood swings, but I've always had an attitude.”

Victoria2719 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2021

“I had my IUD inserted during my cesarean, yes I was told it could come out of place more easily because of the uterus and childbirth. During my postpartum visit my ob couldn’t find my strings so I had an ultrasound to check placement-everything was ok with that thankfully. My sex drive is almost nonexistent, which would be great to prevent pregnancy lol but not for my partner. The bleeding - I’ve had two cycles I believe in almost 4 months pp..I did had some constant mid cycle bleeding but it’s seems to have leveled out. It definitely effects my moods - like I’m not a crier at all but I could easily cry over some situations, I am easily irritated and get flustered. When I did ask my provider about my moods and bleeding, it was made to seem it’s “not enough hormone” something like that but its 100% noticeable changes. This time next year I plan to have it removed.”

Bree January 10, 2020

“I’ve had Liletta for what will be 3 years this month. Overall it has done its job seeing that I have not gotten pregnant. Pros for this birth control for me would be shorter & lighter periods, not as harsh cramps, and bigger boobs. But what made me make a review on this site was seeing that so many women also experienced some of the same cons. I’ve had terrible depression & anxiety since starting it. Granted I am naturally a very emotional person so for the longest I thought it was just me. But reading these post & thinking back on the last 3 yrs I can see that my emotions have been 10x worse than usual. I’m easily stressed now and overly anxious. Also extremely unmotivated and lazy & have had so many random negative thoughts. As if that’s not already enough.. I’ve gained soooo much weight (went from 130 to 170 ”

Emy July 6, 2021

“Everyone has a different experience this one is mine. Just had the Liletta inserted today there was discomfort but quick. I’m having a lot of cramping and I feel drowsy and sore. I honestly feel like I just gave birth, I can’t find the strength to walk. If you do plan on getting the Liletta IUD just be prepared to have the rest of the day off to rest if you happen to have the same experience as I do.”

Pay pay · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

“I would never recommend the Liletta to anyone. I gained 20 -30 pounds in the first couple months after insertion and have had the worst time getting rid of the weight even after removal. While on Liletta my moods were drastically changed. I experienced sad, dark and depressing thoughts. Normally being rather optimistic I knew something was very different about my mood. I experienced an unpleasant strong vaginal odor all of the time which was embarrassing. Just every terrible side effect imaginable. Just a week or two after removal most side effects are gone... except this pesky extra weight. DON’T DO IT LADIES! Love you lady parts and don’t feed it poison!”

Mom3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2020

“My obgyn convinced me to get this instead of getting my tubes tied after I had my 3rd baby. She also has this IUD and highly recommended it to me. I have had it now for 5 weeks. I had the insertion done at 10 weeks after delivering. I honestly felt nothing, I spot for 2-3 days every week. I got my period x 1 week so far. My periods use to be very heavy, no I just wear a pantyliner. As far as weight gain, I can’t comment because I just had a baby in July. Also I am not breaking out, only on my chin from wearing a mask. Sex drive is good too! I really hope this helps!”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2019

“I had the Lilleta IUD inserted to replace using birth control pills. It is amazing! I am 22 (no kids) and have seen absolutely no change in my weight, mood, acne, or sex drive. Don’t let these negative reviews scare you away, people often write about negative experiences and everyone having a good experience doesn't think about doing a review. Insertion was painful for 30 seconds and then mild cramping for about 2 hours but it has been so worth it! I had sex the next day and my boyfriend and I did not notice the string at all. It is a huge benefit to not use a condom or have to worry about any accidents happening. Only negative would be my one period lasting 2 weeks, but the second week was really light. I haven’t had a period since. Highly recommend Liletta!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

“I got the Liletta IUD 3 months ago and at first it was AWFUL. Cramps were awful upon insertion and almost unbearable for about a month afterwards. I never bled at all, but the cramps were constant. Since then I couldn't have been happier. I have lost weight (not necessarily related, but didn't gain any weight). I have seen a dramatic increase in sex drive. I have been on different birth control pills in the past that made me very depressed, so I was worried the IUD might have this effect. My mood has been great! The only negative thing is that I do have more acne now, but nothing that is too extreme and needs more than over the counter medicine. My period has also almost completely stopped and it's only been 3 months which is great!!”

Jay November 2, 2019

“I’ve had Liletta going on to a year and it was the absolute biggest mistake I’ve ever made. As far as it “not getting me pregnant”, sure, it’s done its job but the side effects are the absolute worst. I’ve never had acne in my life and now I do. My periods seem to last forever. I never not have my period. I’m always spotting, it never fully goes away. MOST IMPORTANTLY, my mental health. I have experienced crucial mood swings, depression and anxiety. I do not feel like myself AT ALL. One day I’m good, the next day I’m all over the place. One minute I’m fine, next moment I’m crying or angry or upset over absolutely nothing. It feels like my body has been invaded and I have zero control over how I feel. The mood swings are crucial as well as the random depression and anxiety. I rather use condoms for the rest of my life than to feel how I feel.”

Ahleigha May 5, 2021

“So I got this put in after my 2nd child, 6 years ago and this is not what I wanted. I was supposed to have my tubes tied, I had my daughter at 24 weeks & during birth my placenta ruptured & had to be removed ( horribly painful) my OBGYN decided it would be more safe to get the IUD because of the trauma I had just went through. I delivered when I was 137lb now I’m 182lb and nothing has changed except the IUD. I really hadn’t put it together until a friend told me her experience with liletta. I’ve also had terrible depression & I’m on medication for depression (Wellbutrin)&(Topamax & Fiorecet) for migraines. I wrote my experience to urge women to pay attention to yourself, I may have connected the dots sooner if I did. I know not all are bodies are the same, so do what you think is best just pay attention. Also by all means this IUD did keep me from becoming pregnant again so it did do it’s job in that department.I just want to return to my normal self physically and mentally.”

Mom of 5 April 2, 2021

“Had this Liletta IUD put in January 2020 because of irregular and heavy periods. The insertion was not bad. I experienced cramps for a day or two. But the spotting that followed was unreal. It lasted about 5 months accompanied with my regular, irregular periods. Additionally, I have gained 15 pounds which is frustrating considering that I have maintained a consistent weight my whole adult life (except pregnancy) due to following a strict exercise and diet regimen. My sex drive is also completely gone, and been replaced with headaches, mood swings, anxiety, and depression. I am grateful to have found this website to learn this is not all in my head and others have experienced the same side effects. It’s not worth it anymore, and will be having the IUD removed shortly.”

HF · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 16, 2019

“This IUD had caused so many health issues for me. I had this IUD and had RAPID weight gain of 50 pounds. I have always been curvy but never overweight or unhealthy. I am now considered obese. My breast size that were DD are now an H. My breast weigh a good 35-40 pounds. I now have shortness of breath because of my weight gain( especially in my chest area) and now have a belly (never had that before my IUD). I got awful headaches and now have reflux and possibly sleep apnea due to my rapid weight gain. I had two different doctors check EVERYTHING that could cause weight gain and the only thing they determined was my IUD (I had great lab work and no diabetes or thyroid issues).I have back fat now and fat around my neck and upper shoulders that I never had before. I went from being an hourglass figure to looking like the mucinex guy. This IUD has completely changed me for the worse. I think it’s extremely unhealthy.”