User Reviews for Mirena (Page 6)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1151 reviews 280 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 241 reviews 162 medications

5.8
Summary of Mirena reviews 1392 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "To anyone thinking about the getting the Mirena.... expect to bleed for weeks afterwards but don't be worried. I've had mine for 3 years now and haven't had a period in 2 years. I've spotted once or twice but my periods weren't bad in the first place. Everyone's different. The insertion was PAINFUL and at first I bleed for 4-6 weeks with bad cramps. It was horrible but I'm glad I stuck it out. The piece of mind I get from such an effective birth control was worth the rough beginning."

Worth It February 25, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I developed pretty aggressive bleeding due to Fibroids, got to the stage where I needed a blood transfusion. The doctors mucked around for a week, suggesting ablation, hysterectomy, etc. Finally, against my better judgement, I agreed to a Mirena. I expected things to take some time to settle, and they did, however three months on things were looking good. Then out of nowhere the bleeding started to come back, not like before, but with lots of pain and constipation. I'm six months in and its like my uterus is fighting to bleed again. Its like a war. It hurts. Apparently a woman with Fibroids should not use a Mireena. If I take it out, its hysterectomy time. If I leave it in, its god knows what..."

Grey Hair February 25, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am only about 4 weeks in since getting the mirena inserted. My personal experience with insertion was okay. It was quite pinchy, but only for a short few seconds. I found the more relaxed I was the better I could handle the discomfort. Right after having it inserted, I felt somewhat extreme cramping which subsided within a minute. The next two days following I had moderate period like cramps which made me quite irritable. The most annoying part is that I haven't stopped bleeding since insertion.. people say "spotting" but it's a consistent flow of blood.. not extremely heavy, but not extremely light either. It's rather annoying.because blood doesn't smell great and how is anyone supposed to enjoy their sex life when they're bleeding!?!?!?"

bloodyannoying February 24, 2016

For Birth Control "32 years old, Two children: Admittedly I am only 1 month into having the Mirena but after reading all the negative reviews I have to share my experience so far. Yes, there was some discomfort when it got put it. There is a pinch, some pain & some cramping. But it passes & can be aided with a heat pack & pain killers. During the insertion I was offered a sedative or laughing gas. I had neither & managed just fine. I think it's important to remember EVERY woman is different - different bodies, different tolerances & take into account age, health, fitness & so on. I've noticed my breasts ARE swollen a little but not sore. I am currently having my first "period" since insertion - light spotting & little actual bleeding. I feel great so far!"

TraeLouise February 23, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had Mirena put in place for a dual purpose- extreme menstrual bleeding and birth control. At 44, I don't want any more children and I have a history of pulmonary embolisms. Therefore, this was one if my few bc options. The procedure was excruciating- and I have had children and two neck fusions. I am also on narcotics for chronic pain and still would NEVER had dreamed this would have hurt like it did. Some say it feels like cramps- they must have some wicked cramps. Ever since I have had this I have had UTI's, yeast infections, severe pain, pain during sex, spotting constantly. The only good thing I can say is my periods have not been as heavy. However, when you are spotting all month, who wants to have sex? It's coming out ASAP."

Jewel666 February 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena for 7 months and it was a awful experience. It hurt when my doctor had inserted in me. It felt like something was pinching me. I had a headache, dizziness, I felt pregnant, bloated and it give your vagina a awful smell. My mirena had fell out of me I was so scared and upset. I will never get that garbage again"

Halimmah February 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "In April and then May of 2015 I began having heavy periods. In May I bled from the 5th to the 22nd, stopped for 2 days then started again on the 24th. After going to the doc I was told it was nearing its expiration date (had it since June 2010). Was finally able to have it removed in July 2015. A week or so later I began bleeding heavily. I passed clots that ranged in size from half dollars to tennis balls; one so large I had to look in toilet to make sure I hadn't just had a baby!! The clots have somewhat lessened but the bleeding is still heavy. I get dizzy, feel drained, and lose a lot of hair. Currently, I began bleeding on January 19th, today is February 21st and I'm still bleeding. I do not recommend the Mirena to anyone!"

bloodymary February 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I first had the Mirena inserted in 2008 about 6 weeks after I had a baby.. I had always suffered from unbearable cramps, irregular long MISERABLE periods.. So I thought what the heck I'll get this awesome little thing and kill two birds with one stone. I LOVE it!!! I literally haven't had a period or spotting since the day I got it put in and have not even remotely had a pregnancy "scare" I have recommended it to many people, but it doesn't work the same for everyone. Insertion both times (I'm 3 years into my second one) was easy. The first time I had normal period like cramps the day of, and the second time they just switched out the old for the new and I had zero symptoms. Aunt flow didn't even come. I highly recommend at least trying it!"

:) (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2016

For Birth Control "Well! This is my first full week of mirena insertion and I am loving it so far. I was a bit skeptical with getting an IUD and it took me some time to get to the doc to have this done (4 months of thinking & review reading)! I didn't like the reviews that was out here so I began to get cold feet and not do it. BUT I really needed some form of BC. I have tried birth control pills for years and that was nice but it wasn't so nice because it raised my pressure! ( I was that 0.5% on the label I guess). However the procedure was standard it hurt like anything during insertion but no worst than cramps. Same day a lil bleeding but that went away the next day. After 3 days I was good to jog, have sex, swim , whatever! 5 yrs of NO worries, go 4 it !!"

Nani nan February 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted in August 2015. The insertion was not fun, but it wasn't awful. I had pretty intense cramps off and on for about two months. Also, only incredibly light periods since insertion. Like, only needing a panty liner. No weight gain, and no acne. All in all, a great experience."

C.# (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I just want to say before I start this, that I have a very low pain tolerance. I am 18, with 1 kid, and I would just like to say that I thought this would be a terrible experience because of some very bad reviews. I think everyone reviews when something goes bad and not enough people review the good things. I was pleasantly surprised to not feel any pain at all. When they measure your cervix, it is uncomfortable. When thy clean your cervix, it feels like a pap smear. And I have read a lot of reviews where people say they feel a pinch, but I didn't even feel it. All I felt was the cramps afterward. But this is only the day after I got it as I am writing this and I feel just like normal. Would recommend to anyone and everyone!!!!!"

HarleyDee (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Awful. I had this inserted after my 3rd child in November 2015 for use of birth control and irregular periods. I had this removed just after 3 months because I bled (not spotted) every single day. Post removal, I have been still bleeding for 2 weeks straight. I used this device in conjunction with the pill to try to stop the spotting/bleeding and that did not work at all. I'm on my 4th pack and I still bled with the lowest dose of the pill while on the IUD. The strings also poked my partner during sex so my OB shortened them. At time of removal, he tried several times to take the IUD out because the strings were so short. Mirena should be taken off the market. This non stop bleeding is worse than I've ever experienced. DO NOT GET THIS IUD!"

Holly S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2016

For Birth Control "I was super nervous for my Mirena insertion and for no reason! The process from start to finish was about 2 minutes and I had zero pain. The most significant discomfort was the speculum which was mild. I highly recommend Mirena to anyone looking for long-term, low maintenance birth control."

Mamaof1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I was considering changing over to the implant because the insertion process sounds easier but after reading THOSE reviews...I think I'll stick to my Mirena. All in all I love my Mirena. It will be 4 years this month since I've had it. I haven't had a period in over 3 years. Occasional spotting. Rare cramps. I haven't noticed any mood changes or acne or anything else people are reporting. My bf has never noticed when we have sex and there is no discomfort for me before or after. The ONLY thing I would say was not very pleasant about the Mirena is the insertion. Probably the most painful thing I've ever experienced thus far (32 yrs old, never been pregnant/given birth). Lasts a sec tho. All in all, highly recommend :)"

Loren84 February 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm a 20yr old woman who has never had kids and I'm here to tell you how to get an IUD so you don't have a terrible experience like some of the people who rate this drug badly Don't listen to the bad reviews! They will just freak you out, plus complications are extremely rare, especially if you ask the doc (not a nurse) about his/her personal stats. Side effects like moodiness, weight gain and acne are impossible! Less than 1% of the drug gets in your blood stream so it can't have the same side effects as most birth controls The cervix softener and ibprofin really help with pain while lorazipam helps relax your muscles. Make sure you take them! It will hurt like a strong cramp, but it is brief and worth the 99.7 protection plus no periods"

Kenzie Thatcher February 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for a total of 10 years & I'm very pleased. The only part I don't like is the insertion process (yes, it can hurt, but it's a quick pain if you have a doctor that knows what they are doing), the bacterial vaginosis I sometimes get & the ovarian cysts. Everything else is great! I rarely have periods & when I do I just spot a little (I used to have very heavy periods & BAD cramps). I also haven't ended up pregnant. I highly recommend this form of birth control."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 10 years or more) February 1, 2016

For Birth Control "Had the Mirena IUD placed during surgery in June 2015. I had spotting and bleeding for a while afterwards. OB/GYM said it takes up to 9 months to adjust. Most recently very light periods, now no period. I'm told my hair and skin look heathier, I look like I'm losing weight, I've noticed my nails are growing. Most recently though my sex drive has decreased. I'm 41, and choose this because the man I was with couldn't use latex condoms due to an allergy. Overall I'm happy with it."

SassyK11 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Birth Control "Due to my age (42) and the need for contraceptive and relief from having my period last 2 of 4 four weeks after my second child, I was advised that the Mirena was the best option. I was concerned about having several fibroids which I was diagnosed as having when I was 30. So, Mirena inserted. The bleeding was inconsistent for 12 months. My doc said give it 3 mths, then 6 mths, then 9 mths. No change. After the first month it was noticable that my belly was sticking out. I gained weight around the middle that I could not budge. Had it taken out and felt normal again the next day. Then my period came, with a vengeance. I believe my body stored my menstrual blood which made my fibroids bigger than before. Back to the gyno for me."

Livvy28 January 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted in April of 2015. The insertion was painful for me, as I have not ever been pregnant and given birth. I had light spotting for two weeks after insertion and then when I thought my body was adjusting, I would spot throughout the following months. It wasn't until month 6 that the spotting stopped. It was also in month 6 that I discovered one mass in each of my breasts, one the size of a walnut and the other the size of a small gumball. I really did enjoy having no periods with Mirena, but I had it removed at month 9, with a pending breast ultrasound and mammogram at age 26."

Anonymous January 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted 9 months ago, and it has been the worst experience. This IUD will exacerbate stress, and I have periods for 10 days every month! I also noticed others were mentioning pain during intercourse and lack of libido: Totally!!!!!!! It is awful! I have no desire or energy, and when we do, I have pain in my lower abdomen in certain positions. As for acne, it has increased! I haven't experienced any issues with weight, although I haven't been actively trying to lose, and I have a fast metabolism. I have spoken to others who are taking it, and 1/8 people I spoken to kept it in after a year. They also mentioned panic attacks, severe depression, and lack of energy... "mood changes" don't take if u already have anxiety issues!"

Bad juju (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

"I went to the gynecologist for severe menstrual cramps. A few years back, I took the pill and completely hated it -- it made me so moody that it wasn't worth it. I got the Mirena IUD placed a couple days ago in hopes of getting rid of pain and heavy bleeding. I'm having some spotting, but it's only a couple days in. The insertion only took a few minutes and the pain was bearable. I would recommend taking the day off to lounge around due to cramping. Uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I feel fine today, no pain."

Ceeb (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Just got the Mirena three days ago, so not too sure how it's gonna play out yet. After almost two years of trying out different options to relieve my condition (dysmenorrhea), I sided with my doctor and went to the gynecologist to get it inserted... He basically told me I would get a small cramping sensation so didn't take anything at the time of insertion. It was an extremely painful experience, so much that I could barely stand after and had to have someone pick me up and drive me home. Spent the next 36 hours in bed, unable to move, in excruciating cramping pain with nausea. Could barely move or eat as it would send me straight to the bathroom. Currently have been feeling better since yesterday, but I guess we'll see."

taty12 January 28, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I wanted to share my positive experience with Mirena since there are a lot of negative reviews. All the negative reviews almost scared me off from trying it for myself. All women are different though and I figured more people who had problems would get online and complain than woman who had positive results. I am in my 40's, have 1 child and have a really bad problem with extremely heavy flooding menstrual periods. It had gotten so bad I was flooding thru every 2 hrs and that was affecting my daily life during that week. I had to do something so I went for it. Insertion was painful but over quickly. I had mild cramping that day and spotting for about a week. After that I had some discharge for several more weeks that I only noticed when I used the bathroom and then it stopped. I have had 2 periods now after insertion and they have been wonderful. I went from flooding to not even needing to wear or use anything! I have not had any side effects or problems. I am so happy that I did not let the negative reviews scare me off! Good luck to all the ladies who give it a try! Hope your experience is as positive as mine has been!"

mommamatin94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

For Birth Control "Insertion was excruciating. Severe cramps immediately and for two weeks after. Went to my doctor and she said "pain is relative"... :p Every month I feel that same excruciating dizzying pain when my period hits and have to stay in bed. If you can't handle monthly stabbing pains well...don't get the mirena."

In a lot of pain January 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I have tried every single BC method available and Mirena is by far the worst. My strings disappeared about 6 months after insertion, had to get an ultrasound. OBGYN said it was fine, but from then on I had no strings to check (as they recommend you do once a month to make sure it's still in place). I let it go because the benefits were still outweighing the negatives. Then I started getting just about every side effect imaginable. Mood swings, zero sex drive, acne for the first time in my ENTIRE life, weight gain that I cannot lose, non stop spotting for the entire 5 years. I honestly don't know how I made it 5 years. My doctor had the nerve to say I was "exaggerating" my side effects, but now without mirena I'm so much better!"

jnesser15 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2016