User Reviews for Mirena (Page 6)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1178 reviews 281 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 249 reviews 162 medications

5.8
Summary of Mirena reviews 1427 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I had this IUD put in 10 weeks postpartum. I trust my OBGYN, he reassured me that if I can handle birth, I can handle this. My sister also has the same IUD and told me the discomfort is hardly anything. My OB's med student placed the IUD under my OB's supervision. It was cake. There was a slight pinching, hardly cramping. Every woman's body is different. Birthing both my babies was easy (as birth goes) and this was nothing. Every body is different. My expierence was very positive. My OB reassured me the hormones are centralized, that it stays in the uterus and does not climb to the brain or breasts. My baby is safe to nurse. I was slighty uncomfortable during the day, but it dissipated quickly. 1 - 10, 10 being screaming pain, it was a 2"

Jessiiliilii March 29, 2016

For Birth Control "Do not let this thing fool you! I've had it twice now. so for the last 8 years or so. The 1st time around (after my 2nd child) I had it inserted. Didn't hurt too much that I remember. I liked having no period, living in California where it's usually sunny and warm.. no period was great. Got it out, had 1 period. Then got pregnant with my 3rd child. Decided to go with it again, and it was fine. BUT then there is the bloating..constipation.. abdominal pain.. cysts.. yeah no period is nice, but we are SUPPOSED TO HAVE THEM. This thing is bad, and it took me a loooong time to realize everything is connected.. bloating, constipation, intestinal pain, cysts, mood swings, headaches, brittle hair and nails.. etc. Mirena! Don't do it!"

Pantera85 March 29, 2016

For Birth Control "Insertion was not bad. I recommend getting Mirena inserted while bleeding, as the cervix is open. First 6 months spotting off and on. Then following months just light period around my cycle time. No weight gain. Not to much hair thinning. Overall, I think Mirena is a great choice for long and effective birth control."

Satisfied and happy March 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my Mirena in August of 2015, so it's been 7 months since insertion (at this point in time). I wanted it primarily for birth control, and also to help curb my obnoxious periods- used to have to change out a Diva Cup every 4-5 hours on the heavy days. Insertion did hurt, but ibuprofen helps. The first 6 periods after insertion HURT, but deep breathing, ibuprofen, and some TLC helped a lot. Periods have gotten *significantly* lighter, to the point where I can leave my Lunette menstrual cup in for 12 hours and it's not even half way full. Definitely recommend Mirena if you have heavy periods, but patience is key. Plus you can't beat the 99.8-99.9% effectiveness rate in preventing pregnancy."

IUD's + Cups = <3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I wanted to love Mirena, but that was not the case and don't understand why doctors aren't honest about the side effects. I went on Mirena and was very happy since I never got a period, however Im very careful about my figure and knew that there were "rumors" (since my doctor said this was not true) relating Mirena to weight gain. From the moment I had it inserted I watched what I ate and stuck to a 1300 calorie diet, working out 5 days a week... I still gained 10 pounds in the course of 3 months! I can't imagine what I would of gained had I not been watching what I ate and working out. I just had mine removed, hoping to go back to normal and cursing the day I decided to put that thing in my body!"

Em22 March 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Great!! No one posts the good reviews so I thought I would shed some light! This was awesome had it for a little over two weeks now and I have no issues. After the initial insertion (which hurt but was a breeze, took 2 minutes tops)I had pretty painful cramps for about 12 hours after. I was fine the next day which some brown discharge and bloating for around a week. 1. This IUD does not cause acne, but it lacks estrogen like the pill or other forms of birth control that help with clearing up acne. So you may get more pimples than usual but its what you would normally have with out the pill. 2. It doesn't effect weight gain, any weight gain maybe an un related issue from the birth control."

19yroldunistudent March 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I am a first time user of the Mirena, I have to say it's pretty good. The inserting wasn't painful at all to me my Dr was very gentle and walked me through each step it was over before I knew it, although I must say every since ive had it my period is very tricky. It seems to never go away. I have slight cramping but light periods and sometimes heavy. Hopefully it will ease up and disappear soon. Other than that it fits me best:)"

CCoosby March 21, 2016

For Birth Control "My Dr. made it sound like the greatest thing I could ever do for myself. The procedure ended up being way more painful than I'd been prepared for, then I had 3 days of unbearable cramps (I could barely move). About another 3-4 weeks of increasingly less severe cramps. Since then, I've had no real periods but a lot of unpredictable spotting and light bleeding, as well as cramping, that lasts for upwards of 3 weeks on end, sometimes with only one week in between. I've also completely lost my sex drive and have been feeling overwhelmingly emotional for the last few months, on the verge of tears constantly (how I used to feel for about 2 days before a regular period). Been 5 months and I want it OUT. This is HELL."

Sara392 March 20, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I suffered such heavy periods, used to soak through overnight/maternity pads within minutes on a bad day, so you can imagine how life limiting it was. I was 48yo, had 3 kids. My gyno suggested a marina, thinking it would last 5 years so lasting me through until menopause. I was put under whilst it was inserted. My periods have since been irregular, spotty, unannounced but a lot lighter. To the point I'd wear either a panty liner or small pad. But it did change my life in that I could finally do things! Bad points: my hair has thinned, I now suffer from depression and anxiety, am constantly bloated, can't lose weight. But I thought it to be worth it as I could do things if I could find the energy that is. Today it changed."

wanthealth (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had a wonderful experience with mirena! I have had zero side effects, Its been great! I cant believe so many negative reviews but everyone is different and there is something that works for everybody! My sister didnt like mirena so had her taken out for paragard which she absolutely loves! I honestly cant say anything bad about any IUD I think they are awesome. Pills are old news this is a new generation for women who cant take control of are bodies and choose when we are ready for babies."

macy263 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have the iud for about 4 or 5 months now and at first everything was good. I had a little spotting the first week then I didn't have a period until about 2 weeks ago in (February 2016). Oddly enough I have not stopped spotting since the actual period ended (after 5 days). It's ruining my sex life so I am not sure I want to keep it in. The spotting stops for a couple days if that and the starts up again it's brownish pink and is never really heavy but enough for me to notice. It sucks cause I paid 425$ out of my own pocket for this. It was a huge expence."

Jojorseno (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am a 45, & never pregnant (my husband of 17 years has a vasectomy, so pregnancy is not the issue). Got my Mirena Nov 6, 2015 to control heavy (gushing) bleeding every time I get my period (which was quite regular & predictable). I have bleed pretty much continuously since Nov - have had maybe 10 days total where I didn't bleed or have brown discharge. Cramps hit randomly and are severe. It's seriously starting to affect my marriage too-mood swings, constant bleeding=no sex, arguments because of no sex, etc. Called my GYN office today and told them I want this OUT - waiting to hear back from their nurse. I'd rather bleed heavy for 2 days and know it's coming than to maybe bleed or spot or cramp at any given time. NEVER AGAIN!"

D.M. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had it for three years I still get horrible cramps and periods. I have no sex drive and sex can be painful. I've been getting yeast infections and I never had one before this"

Ashesxo March 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I got Mirena 6 weeks after my second child was born in hopes for easy birth control. Insertion was painful, but nothing a little Ibuprofen wouldn't handle. I bled very light for 6 weeks straight after insertion. Finally my period came regularly it was extremely light but lasted at least 3 days longer than normal (7+days). That was nothing compared to the pain the IUD caused me 24-7, my husband felt it, even 9 months into having it he moved it causing extreme nausea, dizziness, back pain for 2 weeks until it moved back to place. Then lets add the severe PMS symptoms to the mixture, I was miserable. Had it removed 17 months after insertion and would not recommend to anyone. The pain and side effects out weight the benefits."

KLoft6 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena inserted as a 44 yo never pregnant woman mostly to control painful periods ( it didn't) and Within 5 weeks I developed what I would call severe carpel tunnel syndrome ( confirmed by a neurologist at around 12 weeks) , the neurologist also suggested the Mirena was potentially causative but once triggered it might be an ongoing issue. I had it removed. 18 months on I still have carpel tunnel syndrome, I'm really active and activity can be very debillitating, my shoulder is so intensely sore that I cannot sleep for days, drugs don't help as its nerve pain. Wish I'd never gone near this thing."

Swimnomore (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2016

For Birth Control "Only recently got Mirena inserted but wanted to write a review to help calm the nerves of women ready negative reviews. I'll update as well a few months from now. Before I got this inserted I fell down the rabbit hole of reading reviews and scared myself almost to the point that I was going to cancel. I'm glad I didn't. I'm 27 with no kids and do not plan on having any. The insertion hurt but only for about 10 seconds the rest felt like a Pap smear. Took 5 minutes total. Currently having some spotting and cramps but nothing I can't handle. I'm so excited to not have to worry about pregnancy for the next 5 years and feel empowered by my choice to prevent this! and thanks to Obama care mine was totally free! Do it!"

EmNola March 12, 2016

For Birth Control "Just got the Mirena inserted yesterday, and after reading a lot of negative reviews I thought I would share my experience. I was scared of the insertion procedure after reading so many terrible reviews about it being the worst pain ever, so I'm hoping this puts a lot of ladies mind at ease. I did have a moment of "oh my god" pain when the doctor was measuring my uterus. This was due to the fact that I have a 'tipped back' uterus. Not a big deal the doctor told me. That pain lasted ~10-20 seconds. It was a strange crampy/stabby/pinchy pain that I have never experienced before. Afterwards though, I have had minimal mild cramps and barely any spotting and have gotten on with life. Will try and update in 3 months."

HaylJK March 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena placed November 14'. I am 23 with no kids and the insertion was probably the WORST pain I've ever experienced. The pinch you feel is the absolute worst ! After the procedure I cramped a lot . The cramps were so bad I couldn't walk but that only went on for a week. After that no more cramps and everything went back to normal . In January of 15' I started spotting almost everyday of that month. I assume it was because my body was still trying to adapt to it. It is now March 16' and all I've had is weight gain and I mean I am 80 pounds heavier since having the Mirena. It does its job and I've had no pregnancies but the weight gain is terrible"

SolangeDL March 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been dealing with severe cramps and heavy flow ever since getting my period at 9 years old. I've tried pills for years and nothing helped. 2 months after inserting mirena I no longer have cramps or period at all. It's a blessing and I recommend it to all my friends"

Zalda March 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 33 and just had my first my baby in September. 8 weeks after I had her I had the Mirena inserted. When it was put in, I weighed 162 - I had lost 8 lbs after my daughter's birth. Since then, in the last 5 months since having the Mirena put in, I have not lost a single pound. Not only am I breast feeding, but I'm training for a marathon. I am eating about 1600 - 1800 calories per day (about 500 lower than my normal consumption while training for marathons) and I cannot lose the weight. Has Merina made me gain weight? No. But it is clearly a factor in not allowing me to lose baby weight. Needless to say, I'm going to have it removed. I believe there are better alternatives to something that keeps me 30lbs over my normal weight."

arose17 March 11, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have always had heavy and very painful periods. After being diagnosed with endometriosis and a partial hysterectomy due to huge cysts, I was told that using this would help lessen the endometriosis. I have been bleeding since July, 2015. I had the IUD in August 2015, I've bled ever since. Instead of having my period 7 days a month, I'm lucky to not bleed for 2 or 3 days a month. I always have cramps. My bleeding is not heavy, but it's enough to have to wear a pad or a tampon constantly. My sex life is pretty much non-existent. It's very frustrating. I don't know which is worse, having heavy painful periods or having a period that never ends."

Pinky Panther March 8, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had my IUD inserted after I gave birth to my daughter in January 2016 and when I had the Mirena inserted I was on my cycle. My cycle ended like normal and then I came on my normal cycle again in February and this time it has not gone away. Everyday I where a pad because it has been light but not light enough to wear a panty liner. I am concerned because I don't think it is normal to have a cycle going on for 18 days and counting. I am not so sure if it is worth me having this type of birth control because the side effects are just not worth it in my opinion. I have had issues in the past with anemia due to my cycles and I do not want to have that issue again."

LaLa Simmons March 8, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the mirena for 3 1/2 years.. 1 year in I began having pains in my left hip. I couldn't locate exactly where the pain was as it was internal and moved. I began to get aches and pain and gain weight although I was still doing my usual routine. I thought the aches and pains where due to weight gain. Then I researched a bit.. My goodness I had all the symptoms I was reading about and had spent $1000's of dollars at physiotherapist, podiatrists, nutritionists had numerous X-Ray's and ultrasounds I had even tried reiki acupuncture and lots of alternative therapies. The moment it was removed the pain disapated in my hip and by the end of day 1 after removal 40% of the pain in my whole body was gone. Day 2 I could bend my knee to put socks on"

Wowee March 7, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Inserting Mirena felt like getting an abortion, worst 10 min of my life! Got this January 2016 and im still bleeding, not heavy but enough to wear a pad or regular tampon. Sometimes I think the bleeding has stopped and next thing I know I'm bleeding all over again! Not sure if I want to keep this in still."

Danniemom228 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 40 with 4 kids. I had my tubes tied but have experienced week long heavy clotting periods for a year. So my gyn talked me into the Mirena iud. She told me I would have no periods after the 6 months mark. Well I have had it now 9 months and I haven't stopped bleeding. I would have maybe one week of spotting and then back to full blown heavy bleeding. It's awful!!! I have been bleeding heavily for 3 weeks now with clots and changing a super tampon every hour. Getting this iud taken out !!!!!! Hate it! My fiancé and I have gotten use to the mess of trying to have a normal sex life with all this bleeding but it sucks!!!!!"

Frusturated Florence March 5, 2016