User Reviews for Mirena (Page 6)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1184 reviews 282 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 254 reviews 162 medications

5.8
Summary of Mirena reviews 1438 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "After having my second child, I developed a few ovarian cysts and endometriosis. My doctor told me I needed birth control. Out of all the options with birth control, the Mirena seemed to be the best option for me. I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday, my periods are light to non-existent, and I'm still baby-free and cyst-free! This is my 5th year using Mirena. I just recently had it replaced (9 days ago). I'm experiencing a few cramps on my left side, and I was spotting this morning, but that's all normal. The removal of the last Mirena was a bit uncomfortable, but that's the only negative thing I have to say about it."

Ashley T. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "This has slowed my period down which is what I want. It's nice that if I decide to do anything with my spouse that I don't have to remember anything. I have been having major spotting and some shooting pains. My doc said the pain isn't from this but it started after I got this. I do not like the spotting or pain."

Jess38778 April 6, 2016

For Birth Control "25 year old Caucasian female. I got it in October; healthy weight, normal blood pressure, not on any medication. I have a history of anxiety, but it was under control. Had cramping, painful breasts an irregular bleeding for weeks but I wanted to tough it out. However, around 4 months after insertion I began to have severe anxiety. This spiraled into very high blood pressure, severe heart palpitations, chest tightness, severe panic attacks, severe depression, severe brain fog, joint pain and headaches. I got referrals to a cardiologist and Mirena was dismissed as the reason. After reading reviews I demanded the doctor remove it. It has been 6 days and I see a significant improvement in all of the above -- hopefully positive trend continues"

Emily A. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had the Mirena for 6 months and I have had bad cramps everyday since it was inserted. I have also either bled and had discharge every day to the point I am anemic. I have had trouble getting the doctor's to take it out, so if you are having similar issues, be an aggressive advocate for yourself. My experience is probably not representative. I have had strong side effects from oral birth control pills, including cramps and bleeding frequently. I also have emotional side effects and fatigue."

MerryB426 April 4, 2016

For Birth Control "About 3 months after having my 3rd, my ob/gyn convinced me to try Mirena. It's been 6 months now and I'm so happy with my decision. I am back to my pre-baby size, my skin cleared up, and my periods are very light- typically lasting 1-2 days. I am still able to breast feed, it did not affect my supply at all. No problems with brittle nails or hair. I have never felt any pain from the threads, neither has my husband. The only annoying thing about the Mirena was the horrible spotting I dealt with for the first 2-3 months. While insertion was uncomfortable, it wasn't painful. I love my Mirena!"

Kath J April 4, 2016

For Birth Control "had the mirena put in 7 days ago. I am 46 years old, didnt want to get my periods anymore, no children. My utererus falls backward so had a general anaesthetic to have it inserted. So far, continual cramps, period pain tablets ease this, 5 days in the spotting has started. Often get pain in left side. Reading all comments, it will be intersting to see if the cramps and bloating go in a couple of weeks and how long the spotting will stay - i will stick it out for a couple of months."

Goodsv April 3, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I wish I had read some reviews about this product rather than just following my MD's recommendation to have a Mirena placed to control my extremely heavy and long periods(12-20 days). Since I was spending more time bleeding than not, I was confident that anything would be better than that. I was wrong and am seriously considering having it removed even if it means going back to such awful periods. While my periods are now light and manageable, they are still consistently 14 days long. The worst parts are the weight gain and mood swings. Despite training for a marathon including often burning 1400 calories in a single run, I continue to gain weight. The bloating is unsightly and frustrating while the mood swings have a huge impact on family."

Regretful (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

For Birth Control "Ive been having the Mirena inserted every few years for 22 years now, no issues no problems, pinch when inserted, ache when taken out. I swear by it!"

Loving the Mirena March 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I used Mirena for 11 months for birth control. I am very sensitive so the insertion was painful (lots of cramping and spotting after). I would then (for the first 3 months or so) get random, painful cramps. I also instantly gained 5 lbs and 10 lbs over this past year in total. Apart from the hair thinning (which I am unsure was from the Mirena) I got really bad acne on my chin area and on my back. I was hoping that would change bc aside from that, I got no periods at all and it was very effective in preventing pregnancy. I just got mine out today and taking it out was a cinch. I'm hoping my body will regulate itself quickly."

Jentri98 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had the iud 2 times. The first time I had no problems very little cramping, very light to no bleeding. I went in 2012 after my son was born to get it again, and this time it was horrible. I had a lot more pain when inserted. I went back into for a checkup with my doctor to make sure it was in place, and he couldnt see it or feel the strings. So he told me that my body rejected it. So I thought he meant it fell out. I ended up going to the pill, and happen to be pregnant with my 3rd child. In 2015 I went to a chiropractor and had an xray done, and low and behold the iud was still in me. Looked like it was inside the uterus too. Now I am having to face the possibility of having surgery to get it out. My 3rd child was early and in nicu"

Nina1986 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2016

For Birth Control "Horrible product. I regret ever getting this inserted. Nothing but heavier periods, headaches, mood swings, weight gain, just all around pain in the ass. I had it removed over 2 years ago, and my body is completely out of whack from it. I cannot get pregnant (have been trying to have our 2nd for over a year now) and what was regular periods now go magically missing 3 months at a time. This should be taken off the market. Thank you Mirena for making me infertile. *insert sarcasm*"

ahybner (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I had this IUD put in 10 weeks postpartum. I trust my OBGYN, he reassured me that if I can handle birth, I can handle this. My sister also has the same IUD and told me the discomfort is hardly anything. My OB's med student placed the IUD under my OB's supervision. It was cake. There was a slight pinching, hardly cramping. Every woman's body is different. Birthing both my babies was easy (as birth goes) and this was nothing. Every body is different. My expierence was very positive. My OB reassured me the hormones are centralized, that it stays in the uterus and does not climb to the brain or breasts. My baby is safe to nurse. I was slighty uncomfortable during the day, but it dissipated quickly. 1 - 10, 10 being screaming pain, it was a 2"

Jessiiliilii March 29, 2016

For Birth Control "Do not let this thing fool you! I've had it twice now. so for the last 8 years or so. The 1st time around (after my 2nd child) I had it inserted. Didn't hurt too much that I remember. I liked having no period, living in California where it's usually sunny and warm.. no period was great. Got it out, had 1 period. Then got pregnant with my 3rd child. Decided to go with it again, and it was fine. BUT then there is the bloating..constipation.. abdominal pain.. cysts.. yeah no period is nice, but we are SUPPOSED TO HAVE THEM. This thing is bad, and it took me a loooong time to realize everything is connected.. bloating, constipation, intestinal pain, cysts, mood swings, headaches, brittle hair and nails.. etc. Mirena! Don't do it!"

Pantera85 March 29, 2016

For Birth Control "Insertion was not bad. I recommend getting Mirena inserted while bleeding, as the cervix is open. First 6 months spotting off and on. Then following months just light period around my cycle time. No weight gain. Not to much hair thinning. Overall, I think Mirena is a great choice for long and effective birth control."

Satisfied and happy March 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my Mirena in August of 2015, so it's been 7 months since insertion (at this point in time). I wanted it primarily for birth control, and also to help curb my obnoxious periods- used to have to change out a Diva Cup every 4-5 hours on the heavy days. Insertion did hurt, but ibuprofen helps. The first 6 periods after insertion HURT, but deep breathing, ibuprofen, and some TLC helped a lot. Periods have gotten *significantly* lighter, to the point where I can leave my Lunette menstrual cup in for 12 hours and it's not even half way full. Definitely recommend Mirena if you have heavy periods, but patience is key. Plus you can't beat the 99.8-99.9% effectiveness rate in preventing pregnancy."

IUD's + Cups = <3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I wanted to love Mirena, but that was not the case and don't understand why doctors aren't honest about the side effects. I went on Mirena and was very happy since I never got a period, however Im very careful about my figure and knew that there were "rumors" (since my doctor said this was not true) relating Mirena to weight gain. From the moment I had it inserted I watched what I ate and stuck to a 1300 calorie diet, working out 5 days a week... I still gained 10 pounds in the course of 3 months! I can't imagine what I would of gained had I not been watching what I ate and working out. I just had mine removed, hoping to go back to normal and cursing the day I decided to put that thing in my body!"

Em22 March 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Great!! No one posts the good reviews so I thought I would shed some light! This was awesome had it for a little over two weeks now and I have no issues. After the initial insertion (which hurt but was a breeze, took 2 minutes tops)I had pretty painful cramps for about 12 hours after. I was fine the next day which some brown discharge and bloating for around a week. 1. This IUD does not cause acne, but it lacks estrogen like the pill or other forms of birth control that help with clearing up acne. So you may get more pimples than usual but its what you would normally have with out the pill. 2. It doesn't effect weight gain, any weight gain maybe an un related issue from the birth control."

19yroldunistudent March 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I am a first time user of the Mirena, I have to say it's pretty good. The inserting wasn't painful at all to me my Dr was very gentle and walked me through each step it was over before I knew it, although I must say every since ive had it my period is very tricky. It seems to never go away. I have slight cramping but light periods and sometimes heavy. Hopefully it will ease up and disappear soon. Other than that it fits me best:)"

CCoosby March 21, 2016

For Birth Control "My Dr. made it sound like the greatest thing I could ever do for myself. The procedure ended up being way more painful than I'd been prepared for, then I had 3 days of unbearable cramps (I could barely move). About another 3-4 weeks of increasingly less severe cramps. Since then, I've had no real periods but a lot of unpredictable spotting and light bleeding, as well as cramping, that lasts for upwards of 3 weeks on end, sometimes with only one week in between. I've also completely lost my sex drive and have been feeling overwhelmingly emotional for the last few months, on the verge of tears constantly (how I used to feel for about 2 days before a regular period). Been 5 months and I want it OUT. This is HELL."

Sara392 March 20, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I suffered such heavy periods, used to soak through overnight/maternity pads within minutes on a bad day, so you can imagine how life limiting it was. I was 48yo, had 3 kids. My gyno suggested a marina, thinking it would last 5 years so lasting me through until menopause. I was put under whilst it was inserted. My periods have since been irregular, spotty, unannounced but a lot lighter. To the point I'd wear either a panty liner or small pad. But it did change my life in that I could finally do things! Bad points: my hair has thinned, I now suffer from depression and anxiety, am constantly bloated, can't lose weight. But I thought it to be worth it as I could do things if I could find the energy that is. Today it changed."

wanthealth (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had a wonderful experience with mirena! I have had zero side effects, Its been great! I cant believe so many negative reviews but everyone is different and there is something that works for everybody! My sister didnt like mirena so had her taken out for paragard which she absolutely loves! I honestly cant say anything bad about any IUD I think they are awesome. Pills are old news this is a new generation for women who cant take control of are bodies and choose when we are ready for babies."

macy263 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have the iud for about 4 or 5 months now and at first everything was good. I had a little spotting the first week then I didn't have a period until about 2 weeks ago in (February 2016). Oddly enough I have not stopped spotting since the actual period ended (after 5 days). It's ruining my sex life so I am not sure I want to keep it in. The spotting stops for a couple days if that and the starts up again it's brownish pink and is never really heavy but enough for me to notice. It sucks cause I paid 425$ out of my own pocket for this. It was a huge expence."

Jojorseno (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am a 45, & never pregnant (my husband of 17 years has a vasectomy, so pregnancy is not the issue). Got my Mirena Nov 6, 2015 to control heavy (gushing) bleeding every time I get my period (which was quite regular & predictable). I have bleed pretty much continuously since Nov - have had maybe 10 days total where I didn't bleed or have brown discharge. Cramps hit randomly and are severe. It's seriously starting to affect my marriage too-mood swings, constant bleeding=no sex, arguments because of no sex, etc. Called my GYN office today and told them I want this OUT - waiting to hear back from their nurse. I'd rather bleed heavy for 2 days and know it's coming than to maybe bleed or spot or cramp at any given time. NEVER AGAIN!"

D.M. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had it for three years I still get horrible cramps and periods. I have no sex drive and sex can be painful. I've been getting yeast infections and I never had one before this"

Ashesxo March 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I got Mirena 6 weeks after my second child was born in hopes for easy birth control. Insertion was painful, but nothing a little Ibuprofen wouldn't handle. I bled very light for 6 weeks straight after insertion. Finally my period came regularly it was extremely light but lasted at least 3 days longer than normal (7+days). That was nothing compared to the pain the IUD caused me 24-7, my husband felt it, even 9 months into having it he moved it causing extreme nausea, dizziness, back pain for 2 weeks until it moved back to place. Then lets add the severe PMS symptoms to the mixture, I was miserable. Had it removed 17 months after insertion and would not recommend to anyone. The pain and side effects out weight the benefits."

KLoft6 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2016