User Reviews for Mirena (Page 6)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1238 reviews 293 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 283 reviews 169 medications

5.7
Summary of Mirena reviews 1521 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I just got my Mirena and could not be happier. I was apprehensive of the pain due to horror stories that seem to be everywhere. DO NOT BELIEVE THE FEAR! First of all, I have a male gynaecologist. If you're unsure about a male, have no fear! Mine was amazing and spoke frankly but honestly and really comforted me. I had been advised to take 15mg of Murelax and some ibprofen. Although I had taken the Murelax as directed (1 hour prior) my nerves were still extremely high. My gynaecologist, he said he would administer a local anaesthetic to my cervix. This really spiked my anxiety. The ENTIRE procedure was done in about 3 minutes. It was really a 2/10 "pain" and more discomfort. I've had appendicitis & the implanon. This was a walk in the park!"

AnnieeeBee (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had the mirena in since April 2015 and been in pain since it was put in and worse for the last 4 months. Finally got around to having an ultrasound only to find out it has broken and now penetrated the linning of my uterus. There is a 2 week wait at the hospital and thats just for the referral to be looked at. Also because of the irregular periods i now have polycystic ovaries. All of this will effect how i raise my son for the next few months as he has quadriplegic cerebral palsy so lifting him and attending to him daily will be effected. Do not get this form of contraception if you havent explored all the other possibilities."

Jumi27 July 27, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the marina inserted 4 months ago due to heavy blood flow and frequent bleeding. I have been bleeding EVERY day since. It really defeated the purpose of having it inserted being that I am having even more blood flow. It's really hard to have a sexual relationship with my husband, while bleeding every day..... I'm honestly ready to have this removed!!"

Tricia_P July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I had a Mirena IUD for 5 years. It was very uncomfortable and I would not recommend it. The removal "string" was like fishing line and jabbed into me all of the time and gave my husband abrasions. To reduce my daily discomfort, my healthcare provider cut the string short which made removal more difficult. I had a greenish weeping discharge that lasted the whole 5 years that made me think I had some kind of wound. I resented my husband the whole time I suffered this device, but I was too busy with work and kids to remember to take birth control pills. It did prevent pregnancy and not having periods was sort of a bonus. I developed metal sensitivities during that time. It cost about $500 to have it removed thanks to my husband's employer."

WorkingMomto3 July 26, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 42 & decided to get mirena to control heavy, clot bleeding. Its been a month now and my first period cycle. My period is very light & the right side pain is gone and no cramps. My periods are a few days longer though. I feel physically better& I was hoping my periods will disappear all together. Is that possible?"

1973Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I have to say.. After reading reviews I was a little terrified to get Mirena inserted. However, my ob is really good and it wasn't a big deal at all! It was uncomfortable like a pap but it was done within a few mins. I gave birth 8 weeks ago and he said this was a good time to get it inserted because my cervix is still soft. So maybe that's why it was no big deal for me? So far, no cramping, slight spotting. I'm not sure about the long term effects of the mirena because I've only had it in a week. So far, so good!"

Cooperam July 17, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Merina inserted for Heath issues as I have heavy clot ( bleeding )  I had the Merina inserted under sedation for $490 and on day 24 it had dislodged ( I did not have months prior and post insert ).i called the clinic and told them that it dislodged and that I was feeling unwell with a fever,nausea and cramping they told me that they needed to see me within 24 to 48hrs but the were booked out and advised me to see my GP for antibiotics and painkiller while waiting to see them .6 days after it dislodged they saw me,gave me an ultrasound and said 'sorry this has happen ,and couldn't understand why it has'.The doctor that Had performed the insert was very nice and compassionate and sent me to see the receptionist regarding the re-insert and pricing if any.  I saw the receptionist  I asked them if they can do another one and was told yes but I'll have to pay $490. I said that it was no fault of mine and that they need to do it for free or under Medicare . Heartlessly they showed me my signature that I had signed the disclaimer that this can happen and that they won't replace it free of charge or under Medicare . No compassion, very cold when presenting me with the documents that I signed.  I was so upset and devastated that I burst out crying and left the clinic cos I can't afford to pay for another one . Never again will I deal with them ."

DevastatedNik- July 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the mirena put in 3 years ago. The insertion was extremely painful (I haven't had kids) and I had bad cramps for 2-3 days after. After getting over that first hump, I didn't get my period again for 3 years which was awesome! However, it did cause me to develop cystic acne which I didn't have before so consider this possibility before having it put in. If you aren't acne-prone it's an awesome form of bc!"

Liz193748383 July 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm shocked at all of the negative reviews on here. Please don't let these horror stories scare you away! I've had my Mirena in for 16 months and I love it! I've been on BC since I was 15 since I had severely heavy bleeding. I've tried the pill, Nuva ring and Mirena and this is by far the best. The procedure is quick and easy. It only lasted about 30 seconds and felt like light cramping. I didn't need to take any painkillers before or after. I had light spotting for a couple of days and haven't had my period or any period related symptoms since. Amazing! I think if you get an experienced OB-GYN to do the procedure you're far less likely to have any complications as exact placement is needed to make it comfortable and effective."

Hcmorris July 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted after failed birth control resulted in my fourth and fifth children, whom I adore and wouldn't trade for anything! I decided I would not even think about the bleeding until six months after insertion. I have had the Mirena for more than eight months. This insertion did not feel uncomfortable to me at all. My hands and feet tingle. My mood is variable. I don't care much for sex. I was bleeding every single day for the first 5 months. I now bleed for at least two weeks of every month. I have increased two dress sizes. I now have intermittent acne. This is NOT for me."

Mama2FiveKids July 13, 2016

For Birth Control "If you are thinking of having this fitted then please consider thinking again. I've just got out of hospital after my GP perforated my uterus during fitting 4 days ago. The insertion was excruciating and I'm not exactly soft! Took four attempts to get it in place. One day after insertion I got an episode of trigeminal neuralgia down the right side of my body which i have never experienced in my life. 3 days after that I started with what felt like a kidney stone but after 12 hours in hospital turned out to be perforated uterus on top of a kidney infection. I seriously think all these side effects are related to the mirena coil fitting although I'm sure medical professionals will beg to differ."

K8ten (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

For Birth Control "My OBG-YN inserted it for me. She is very experienced and I had felt little discomfort. It felt like having a long PAP test :) I spotted during my cycle but amazingly my periods stopped altogether. I'm having it removed as it'almost due (5 years). I gained about 30 lbs. in the last 4 years. Most of my friends who have this IUD put in had the same weight gain experience. Now, is it worth it? Heck YES! No periods & no mood swings for 5 yrs in exchange to weight gain? I will not continue to have a new one inserted after this though... I want to lose weight first. My advise is, be active as I wasn't so it could've been that and gained the 30 so I don't totally blame it on Minera. Secondly, get an experienced OBG-YN insert it for you."

Deb N July 10, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the mirena for 8 months, from the moment it was inserted I was in pain. About three weeks after getting inserted I made a trip to the emergency room for what I thought was a really bad UTI, turned out to be PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE. I was held in the hospital overnight to be given a morphine drip due to how much pain I was in and multiple rounds of antibiotics.... for those that don't know what PID is It usually occurs when transmitted bacteria spread from the vagina to the womb (uterus), fallopian tubes, or ovaries. The doctors say that when it was inserted it caused an infection which then spread due to it being so far up. I ended up with it again 2 months later. Had horrible sickness and weight gain. No period though."

Karissa Dawnn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the mirena put in for BC and loved it at first.The insertion was extremely painful but it's awesome not having to take a pill everyday, but 6 months in I hate it and am getting it removed next week. I have gained 15 pounds, my acne is worse than it has ever been and I am extremely moody and depressed all the time. I'm switching back to the pill."

Anon1234567890 July 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I love this method of birth control. I have had very heavy periods and cramping since I was 11. Mirena has virtually erased my period. I have had some light spotting on and off since insertion 2 months ago but that's a small price to pay. Zero cramps. Zero! No crazy side effects like what I experienced on various brands of oral contraceptives. I have 2 kids and that's enough so I'm happy that I don't have to worry about birth control for the next 5 years. Insertion was a breeze. About 30 seconds of heavy crampy pain and light headedness but then I was fine. I didn't take any of the painkillers that my Dr. supplied me with prior to the procedure."

In the midnight hours July 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I wanted to love Mirena, and maybe too much. I stuck it out for a little over a year and finally had to give up and have it removed. I loved the idea of not having to take a pill daily and just the general peace of mind. The insertion was crazy painful, I felt nauseous and almost fainted, even though the doctors office told me I was fine to drive myself to and from the doctors office. I had intense cramping and heavy and often irregular bleeding for a while, the irregular bleeding and spotting last for over 6 months. It felt worth it at the time. I ate like a crazy person, craved sugar and carbs, I gained so much weight. The last straw was the fact that I continually got cysts and had to keep getting them checked every month with ultrasounds"

MRoseB July 7, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was put on mirena 9 months ago to help with my heavy periods and thickened womb lining. I found the insertion proceedure very distressing and painful. Psychologically, I was a bit messed up for a few days because it felt like I had something alien inside me and was terrified that it would move position and damage me. My periods are a lot lighter, but they drag in for longer. I never know when I'm going to get one, but the current cycle is about 20 days. Because about 10 days of that is bleeding, I don't get much of a break. I'm unhappy with mirena but I worry about the alternative. I do t want ablation or hysterectomy, so is it besfor me just to put up and shut up?"

Louisejy July 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had Mirena inserted due to heavy bleeding and cramping. Did wonders right away. My periods were very light while on it. However I began having back and leg pain almost immediately, and after 3 1/2 months had a major attack of sciatica, to the point that o could hardly walk. This occurred 4 weeks ago and I'm still having pain and numbness in my back, leg and foot. Had iud removed as I've read that this can be a side effect."

Vivat kin July 5, 2016

For Birth Control "The first 4 weeks were hard... I felt bloating and mild pain constantly (this may have been psychological - I couldn't stop thinking about a plastic thing in my uterus!), and lots of spotting / discharge. However after that.... nothing... literally! I am now on my second coil, 7 years in.... Not had a period in 7 years, not even spotting - even when I had the old one replaced... This is the BEST form of contraceptive and period controller I have ever used, and I only wished I had taken the risk 20 years ago!"

cageybird (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 4, 2016

For Birth Control "Ladies you will read more horror stories of bc than wonderful ones only because most reviews are written out of anger. So dont get scared off! I love mirena I had my first inserted at 20 had it removed at 24 to become pregnant, became pregnant within 3 months. Had my second mirena inserted 6 weeks pp and have had just as well of an experience. Have a real OBGYN insert this for you! Most horror stories of an IUD had been inserted from a family physician, they are not as well informed of the product or female anatomy and its not placed properly which causes it to get lodged elsewhere in the uterus. Trust your doctor ladies and know any bc carry risks or side effects. For me the benefits outweighs the risk and I have been very happy"

mommy7311 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm on my second Mirena. I had the first one put in after I had my youngest child. Unfortunately, my insurance did not cover it so I had to pay for it out of pocket. Other than the fact that the insertion is a bit uncomfortable (it's a sharp pinch and you may experience some light bleeding for a day or two) and the strings bothered my husband at first (I went back to the office and the ob-gyn trimmed them, and no problems since), I have had no problems at all. No pregnancy worries and virtually no periods at all (once a month I get the menstrual symptoms and maybe a little spotting for a day or two but not the heavy 6-8 day periods that I used to have to endure). I will be getting my third one in about a year."

KrMaVi (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena IUD inserted one year postpartum, and had it in for 5 years. Insertion was slightly painful; it felt like a bad cramp for a few seconds. I experienced a lot of spotting for the first month on Mirena. My periods ended up being very regular, (26 day cycles) with spotting for 7 days every cycle. I only used a panty liner. I got cystic acne on a regular basis, which was something that never happened before. I also experienced moodiness, hair thinning, and my anxiety increased. The worst thing about Mirena was the 40 lb. WEIGHT GAIN. The best thing was that it worked well to prevent pregnancy. Removal wasn't bad; just a couple seconds of pain. Replaced with the non-hormonal Paragard IUD at the same visit with no issues."

Lees00 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2016

For Birth Control "Had the IUD inserted as it seemed an easy, safe option. Low dose progestin dosed directly in the uterus where needed. At 42, the 5 years of birth control sounded great. My symptoms started 2 weeks after insertion which proved painful but manageable. I suffered from horrible fatigue. I had the worst lower back, leg, and hip pain for a couple of weeks. Then the constipation hit. I dealt with that on and off for two months. I suffered gall bladder attacks but the ultrasound and functional tests came back clean. I lost my appetite from the abdominal pain and nausea. Then the depression, anxiety, and panic attacks hit. Hoping to recover. It did stop my periods and prevented pregnancy."

Snowbound (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

For Birth Control "I finally had enough nerve to have Mirena inserted, but the experience took me by surprise. I have a high tolerance for pain, but the pain during insertion was more than expected. I also fainted. This occurrence is rare and usually happens in only 1% of women who have Mirena placed. Lucky me! When I came to, I was covered in sweat and couldn't get up. My blood pressure and heart rate dropped to a dangerous low so I had to sit for almost 2 hours to recover. I was given prescription pain killers to help with the cramps and have had light bleeding since."

Kp88 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

For Birth Control "Ever since I had the mirena I had really bad pains stabbing shooting pains in my lower stomach and down my legs heaviness and pressure on my stomach and on my lower legs I could not walk the pain was so bad I couldn't stand I got an ultra sound to see if had a cyst my results came back normal I got the mirena out today and I can finally walk and function"

Laurenm3 June 28, 2016