User Reviews for Mirena (Page 6)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1307 reviews 299 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 308 reviews 169 medications

5.5
Summary of Mirena reviews 1615 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I am on my 2nd Mirena. I am 36 yrs old, no kids and never want kids. The insertion was very painful, but tolerable. I did tear up a little from the pain and I took deep breathes to help get thru it. I love the Mirena. I did not gain weight from it, however, I am a runner. No acne, no abdominal pain. I am spotting brown, but that's normal after insertion..for the 1st couple weeks. I did not get my period the first time around, so I am hoping the same this time. Not having a period for 5 years is amazing. This alone is worth the uncomfortable pain during insertion. Take 800mg of ibuprofen 1 hour before..it helps a little bit. But you still feel it...feels like the most painful cramping, you can ever imagine. Ugh. Ps. #never been in labor."

KDuff (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 30, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Just got Mirena put in today. Procedure took less than 5 mins. It was not painful as others say. I would definitely recommend taking ibuprofen before for the mild cramping. I could go back to work today but rather enjoy my day off. I will go back tomorrow. Maybe it is true if u had kids before it doesn't hurt as much. I had two children vaginally. Hope this helps someone. Also, u will have little spotting from procedure. Wear panty liner. Keep u posted!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have 3 children and decided that mirena would be a good option. I was on it about 4 years ago and was bleeding for 9 months and had it removed then hello miscarriage, then about 2 years later baby number 3. They told me it was put in wrong. I decided to try it again, so now I have had it for about 2 months and have been bleeding for about a month and a half. Worst birth control I have ever had!!"

RaelynnB November 23, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am 30 years old and have never had children, I also have my tubes tied at the age of 26. I decided to get the Mirena IUD after I went to my OBGYN and told him that I no longer wanted to have a period. ( my periods didn't last long maybe 2 to 4 days, but the cramping was unbarable but the actual flow was light.) I have read all the horror stories on here and it honestly had me spooked. My OBGYN recommended The Mirena IUD for the reasons I stated above. Each person is different so each experience will be different as well. So I decided to get it done today. I had my doubts and voiced them with my OBGYN prior to my procedure. He told me that I should give it a try at least 6 months and if I really didn't like it I could always remove"

Atrixie November 22, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the Mirena inserted 10/30/16. The doctor had trouble getting it in & it was an incredibly painful experience because I have never given birth and my uterus is retroverted (tilted back.) A couple days after I had it inserted, I started my period. I am currently on day #17, and I've had cramps for every day of it. Some days it seems to slow down and I think it's about to stop, but then it becomes heavy again. I bought a heating pad a couple days ago and it really helps to relieve some of the pain. However, it has also made my flow much heavier. (Maybe this will speed up the process?) I'm willing to wait until I've had it for six months. Hopefully the end will justify the means and I'll have five years of worry-free birth control."

EElizabethABC (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had 2 kids and knowing I don't want anymore any time soon I wanted a long term contraception. I was shocking at remembering to take the pill ( hello baby number 1 ) so decided to try the mirina. I got it fitted 7 months ago and I love it! The insertion was more uncomfortable then painful and was done within 90 seconds for me! I got a bad kidney infection after insertion but other than that I love it. I've no periods and other than tiny cramps every now and again I have no complaints! No weight gain, no mood swings, no acne. I'm glad I got it inserted "

Anonymous November 19, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I just left my doctor office and got Mirena inserted. I took 800mg of ibuprofen and honestly you guys, I barely felt the insertion! I swear PAP smears are more painful than what I just experienced! I did feel a teeny little pinch but nothing like the stories I am reading here. Mind you I have two children so I hear its easier if you have kids. So far zero bleeding, zero cramping or discomfort. I should have done this years ago!"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Cut long story short - I'm 21 years old I've had a lot of problems with my left ovary since I was 14yearsold. I tend to get a lot of cysts on it yet my right ovary is perfect. My gynaecologist suggested that after trying so many pills I was still getting cysts and my periods were horrendous, to try the Mirina coil WORST decision of my life. At first they tried for 45 minutes to get it in and it would not go so I was told to come back in 2weeks which I did and again it took a lot of trouble and took 1hr and 25 mins until it was in place. After it was in it was just like period cramping. A week after this my stomach bloated making me look 5/6 months pregnant and the pain was excruciating! 1week after having it put in I've had it removed!"

Caits November 16, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for 5 months. I HATE IT!! I've had my period for 2 months at a time with some light spotting in between. I'm experiencing abdominal pain all the time. I lose my appetite for 2-4 days at a time. Yet, I'm still gaining weight. I have literally no sex drive, and I'm always moody. I have had 3 kidney infections, 4 bladder infections and one cyst. Don't get me started on my acne, weird discharge and chin hairs!! I love the idea of 5yr protection, but this is NOT for me. Thankfully tomorrow my fianc"

OutgoingMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Hey y'all, I was on here a few days ago trying to read up and gather as much info before moving forward with the IUD. I had it done this morning and it hurt for about three seconds. It's been about five hours and I haven't had any cramping. I'm a mom of three amazing kiddos and my periods aren't heavy even after having a dnc to remove polyps. I wanted to give this a try and hopefully I won't have periods anymore. I'll post an update in a few days."

Beautiful Edge (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I'm a 26 year old mother of two. My doctor recommended the IUD six months after the birth of my second child. The very beginning when having it wasn't so bad but later I started to notice acne, I have never had acne my entire life so it kind of shocked me when I started breaking out really bad. There was no treatment for my acne, left my face with acne scars. I also experience really bad headaches. Last but not least before Mirena I weighed 125 pounds, a year later I gained about 10 pounds. I was slim and normally hard to gain weight but when having mirena I gained so much weight. I absolutely hate it and I'm very excited to get it out in two days! What an experience! Definitely hoping my acne clears and I lose the weight I've gained."

Xo a mother of two November 15, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Terrible experience my periods have got so heavy I have not been able to go to work as the super plus tampon and sanitary towel need changing every hour. Twice this week had to change the bedding as double sanitary protection does not stop it going through pyjamas, sheets, mattress protector. Have been bleeding every day for 5 months."

Karenmcd10Radcliff November 10, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I first decided on Mirena because I was terrible with take my pills on time. I was in nursing school and with my schedule all over the place I was non-compliant. I finally decided on Mirena even though I had read some horrifying reviews. On the day of insertion I had mild pain, similar to PMS. I took 800mg of ibuprofen and felt just fine. I had light spotting for 2-3 days after. Just enough for a liner, not a pad. It has been 2 years now and I absolutely love it. My boyfriend has never complained of feeling the strings. I have had some "pressure" during intercorse but nothing unbearable. I definitely recommend this, just remember, there is no protection against STI's, so get tested! Hope this help!"

Shaneal (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had my mirena inserted over a month ago now, and I thought I'd share my experience with you all! I am 28, mirena was recommended to me by my gp after a termination of pregnancy. I was a bit scared as so far couldn't find a hormonal birth control that worked for me. the insertion was very unpleasant, but not excruciating as the misoprostol pill I took 4 hours before dilated my uterus well enough for the procedure to be done quickly and smoothly. Haven't noticed any weight gain, acne, bloating or mood swings, so far it works pretty well for me! Only down side is the cramping/ovary pain that I would rank 6/10 painwise. Spotting is not intense, and actually diminishing so far. Overall pretty pleased with mirena :)"

Lucy_nz November 10, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Inserted July '16 to control extremely heavy periods. Insertion-tolerable with a day of cramping. Within a week, I started having constant leakage-requiring a liner every day. Cycle 1-3 were lighter-but LONGER. (10+days compared to 5-6 days) I also started cramping, which I hadn't done since puberty. The leakage NEVER stopped. I scheduled a removal because constant leaking and wearing a liner every single day wasn't something I could deal with anymore...feeling unclean made being intimate with my husband very difficult. AND in 3 months I've gained 10 pounds. Sadly a family emergency required me to put off removal by a week. This 4th cycle is a nightmare. HEAVY bleeding with golf/ baseball clots. I wish I'd never had Mirena inserted."

Dnnomore November 9, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena inserted for the second time via keyhole surgery. First time I had inserted at my local GP - But had it removed after almost 8 months after issues. I've just had it removed because after 6 months it went downhill, I was irritable & emotional, having acne breakouts in my hair, on my face, chest & back, gained weight that I could not lose, migraines, constantly tired, having thrush like symptoms, heavy bleeding for 7 days at a time 1-2 times a month. So I finally got answers - I'm one of few with high sensitivity to it & reacted to it along with having a reaction to the cords (the thrush like symptoms). Just wish I had of been told that 1st time round! Instead I got told having it inserted differently would be more effective!"

Bears876543 November 8, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have two kids my first was born and I was put on the pill ,took it correctly and somehow got pregnant when she was 3 months old. So now I have a 1 and 2 year old after my second I decided to try the mirena and it wasn't painful at all to have inserted just a little uncomfortable. But I had bleeding for 4 months straight so me and dh went 5 months without sex. And then after I stopped it was every 25ish days and it would last 2 weeks not heavy but the flow would go from normal to light during the day. I'm happy to be protected but it was a rough start my doctor just kept saying it's worth it to tough it out and I guess it really is I'm not preg and don't have to worry about it at all. I couldn't imagine remembering a pill or geta shot."

Janicedancegirl November 8, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have used the mirena as it seems to be the most consistent release of hormones, therefor helping mood swings, acne, weight gain etc. I just had 1 removed and another placed. Never had children, and my cervix "falls to the floor" and to a side, so it's a bit more uncomfortable than some women. But, nothing that extra water and advil cant soothe. It is def worth 1 day of uncomfortable for 5 years of relief lol. My periods mostly stopped basically was spotting for a day or two after year 1. Prior to year 1, still light but lasted a day or so longer. My strings to the first got "lost" so dr. (Highly recommend an ob/gyn) used ultrasound to locate and and get it before replacing it. So, a few negatives but well worth it!"

Lmchugh789 November 7, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had Mirena inserted July 2016 have been spotting and bleeding ever since (Nov 2016). Back pain,nausea, cramps, clots, headaches, low moods went to Drs who told me to perservere to 6 months and see how it goes as they cost a lot of money and I can't just have them in and out. Came out feeling more confused as I don't want the symptoms and has put a complete stop to sex life. was meant to help with heavy periods not take my life away."

BeeR1 November 7, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted at age 21, no chidren, had preivously tried every birth control under the sun. Insertion was very painful, i nearly passed out. Severe cramping lasted for 2-3 days, I was not able to stand up straight due to pain. After that, I cramped for about a week and a half. Spotted for the first few months, but it was tolerable. Periods had all but completely stopped after 6months. Around 9 months iIstarted to see an increase in acne. After 1.5 years the acne turned into severe rosacea and cystic acne. I didn't want to even leave the house - my skin was unbearably flaky and red. I was convinced it was the Mirena, though all doctors disagreed. I had it removed and a few days later the rosacea was almost completely gone."

Csmmmmm November 7, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena IUD in for two weeks..I end up with severe cramping every day and every day is worse.. About a month ago I started losing weight because I've been working out 5 days a week for an hour.. Now since the last two weeks I've gained weight.. Bloated and in pain.. and I'm NOT gaining muscle weight from working out.. the hormones that are in the IUD mirena can make you gain weight.. and yes my Dr did confirm that. Also my breasts are in severe pain every day.. Waking up at night several times in pain so bad I can't sleep. I'm also depressed like I never have been and am not interested in sex. That had never ever been the case before. I also have severe back pain.. And I've never had an UTI ...urinary tract infection.. Until getting the IUD in.. this is a bad device and should be banned and discontinued as an IUD. I'm getting it out in two days. Thank God"

Amberlee79 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had my mirena for 2.5 years before taking it out. I've gained about 20-25 lbs since I fist got it. The procedure was extemely painful and I was in pain for the rest of the evening after the insertion. I've experience mood swings, lack of energy, spotting after intercourse, lack of sex drive, no periods (good thing), and regardless of clean eating/exercising, I could not loose weight. Oh and really bad acne!! Since I've gotten it out I feel a lot better and not as tired. My partner says I'm so different from when I used to be on birth control."

Mao123 November 5, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got mine at the age of 19. I was put under for the insertion and woke up with no pain at all, obviously feeling sick because I wasn't alowed to eat before they inserted it and after a while i did get cramps and had on and off spotting but after about a month and a half it completely stoped and im period free!! which makes it all worthit but again everyone is different and it depends from person to person how they're bodys will take it and if your body will accept it or reject it...my doctor told me that most people get it to control their periods better but i simply got it because i was very very bad with the pills so dont be scared to get it because in the end its all worthit!!"

Chinzzey November 4, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "37 and two little ones, both delivered via c-section. I have symptoms of Adenomyosis, so opted for an IUD since I had bad experiences with BC pills. Plus I want to avoid a hysterectomy in my 30s and 40s... No pain during insertion (just like a pap) and it stopped one of the worse periods I have ever had dead in its tracks (10/31/16). Literally no cramps or clots -- just a tiny little spotting. I hope to avoid some of the horrible side effects people list on the web, but so far so good! I would totally recommend this device!"

Koz.jenny November 2, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had it inserted on last month 15 sept. Was painful during the insertion, experienced cramp for a short while. Before i went for the insertion, i even double checked with the doctor about the side effects. And he said that there is no side effects at all.. weight gain is my most concerned issue and now.. i have gained 4.5kg (10lb). What is this?! After insertion, my menses lasted around 1 week and it came back (light flow) 3 days later. Zero sex drive, moody, temper change.. i feel it... (from Singapore)"

Blur Queen November 1, 2016