User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel to treat Ovarian Cysts

Also known as: Vienva, Lutera, Aviane, Seasonique, Levora, Jolessa, Sronyx, Larissia, Altavera, Ashlyna, Kurvelo, Lessina, Balcoltra, Twirla, Seasonale, Portia, Levlen, Orsythia, Setlakin, Falmina, Camrese, Amethyst, Enpresse, Marlissa, Daysee, Simpesse, Aubra EQ, Amethia, LoSeasonique, Introvale, Trivora, Iclevia, LoJaimiess, Chateal, Lillow, Rivelsa, Dolishale, Amethia Lo, CamreseLo, Chateal EQ, Aubra, Quartette Ayuna Lo Simpesse Levonest Fayosim Cerinta Jaimiess Afirmelle Elifemme Sylevia Myzilra Delyla Tyblume …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings for the treatment of Ovarian Cysts. 33% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Ovarian Cysts.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Faerie · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Been on this pill for 2 weeks! Most horrible experience ever. I was having such extreme stomach pains that I thought I was having an appendicitis and my stomach has been tender to touch and the cramping hasn’t gone away for a week! Emotional outbursts and crying (sobbing) for no reason. This birth control is horrible. I’m done.”

cbelle April 27, 2010

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I really like this birth control pill. Has made a huge difference in my skin over the past few months. I have been on several different types of birth control pills in the past 11 years and these are definitely the best I have taken. I did experience some spotting/break through bleeding during the first pack, but the benefits overshadowed that by far. I have had shorter periods, less pain, great skin, good moods, and increased sex drive.”

see · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was so nervous to give this a try after reading the reviews. I used to get a SUPER heavy period.. usually lasting about 7-8 days. I'd need a tampon/pad for at least 3-4 of those days. Combined with ovarian cysts.. always had cramps. I've been on Lessina for 2 months now.. the first period I got was 4 days and super light. I was SO HAPPY to see. Yes, the side effects at first do suck. I noticed I was VERY hungry, easily irritable, and had mood swings with some anxiety. After about 3-4 weeks, this finally subsided.”

Anonymous May 5, 2009

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I am on my second pack of Seasonique. Day 2 of the yellow pills and my period hasn't come yet. Could be because 2 weeks ago I had a 10 day period with heavy clotting. I have had no bad side effects other than lack of sex drive which doesn't bother me since I am not having sex. I am using this to treat my ovarian cysts that have grown back.”

Raven96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2017

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Have been on Lessina for 3 months (no placebo week) to prevent recurrent ovarian cysts. My 6 cm cyst has shrunk to below 3cm. I feel great, fewer mood swings and no weight gain or other symptoms. I am 44, and my doctor doesn't want me to take it for very long, but I feel it has been helping.”

KathyM116 May 13, 2011

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “This is my first time on birth control and I've heard so many stories about how Aviane gets you all irritated and nauseous, but so far in the one week I've been using it I feel perfectly normal. I'm not sure if that is because I just started, only time will tell. I'm not having any cramping in my ovaries because of my cysts so far. 10 out of 10 for me!”

CystSistersss · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 18, 2017

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've been on this for almost 2 years and every other birth control I've ever taken has has given horrible hormonal side effects. This one is great. I don't feel crazy,I didn't gain any weight and it helps decrease the pain from my cyst. I take only the pills and skip the placebos each month in order to shrink my cyst which is in a tricky spot on my ovary and unable to be removed through surgery (I used to have to take a percocet to not feel the pain and it was frustrating). I only feel the occasional cramp but nothing compared to the stabby feelings I used to endure. The only thing that sucks with this is the occasional reddish brown goop that I think is my period refusing to die completely. My libido has also dropped SIGNIFICANTLY :( Anyone know a remedy for this?”

Anonymous August 24, 2009

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “For four months, I have suffered from constant cramps, 24/7. My doctor finally took an ultrasound and found two very large cysts. One was filled with blood. He explained to me this is why I am in so much pain. I also have been experiencing other symptoms. Thinning hair, low back pain/throbbing, nausea, ill feeling, facial hair, etc., etc. I went back in and he finally put me on birth control pills. I am 37 and taking birth control pills for the first time. I am almost two weeks into taking them and to my relief I have not suffered any bad side effects, but it's still early. I can only hope that this is a good sign. And I can only hope that my pain will subside and my cysts will dissolve. I have my fingers crossed. Wish me luck!”

Annabella98 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 5, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I love Seasonique! I have been using it for about 4 years. I was diagnosed with extremely painful ovarian cysts in 2012 and my obgyn suggested I take hormones. When she said I could take a scripT where I would only have 4 periods a YEAR I jumped at it. I noticed a difference right away. The only problem with this is I have A LOT, pretty much constant vaginal discharge (due to the progesterone). It's clear and watery. But this is manageable for me and for all the benefits of the pill for me: worth it. I love the fact that I only have 4 periods a year. And insurance (BCBS) covers 100% of the cost for me!”

Tabbi11 May 25, 2017

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been taking Seasonique 10 years now. I got put on it when I was 15 due to huge Ovarian Cyst and very bad periods that made me super sick! I've had no issue with this medication at all, until the beginning of 2016- now I have had no period. Every 3 months I get the symptoms of a period but never bleed. But I have been fine on this medication. I recommend it to anyone!”

Mooncastyre · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2015

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I am 40 years old. My doctor prescribed this medication to treat heavy bleeding due to an ovarian cyst that developed after several Clomid cycles with my infertility specialist. After three months, my periods are regular again, but at the cost of several unpleasant side effects. I have painful cystic acne in my genitalia, I have gone from being calm and relaxed to short-tempered, and my sleep cycles have been disrupted, leaving me tired all the time. The first day or two of my period is extremely painful, but that may be due to the fact that I have more like a 25 day cycle and the pill is trying to force a 28 day cycle. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 8, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was taking orsythia for about 2 years but I switched to a stronger kind which was the biggest mistake I've ever made. Orsythia did wonders for my acne. I tend to get cystic acne but when I was on this pill I would break out maybe once every three months. Also, my ovarian cyst went away and my periods weren't as painful and a lot lighter. The only thing it didn't help was my anxiety but it definitely didn't make it worse. I love this pill but it seems to effect everyone differently so you won't know unless you try it.”

Genevieve t. September 7, 2015

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I'm on this medicine to help with a current ovarian cyst but the side affects are pushing me to surgery if living like this is my option. It makes me feel depressed and ready to cry at the drop of a hat, angry, mean, antisocial and it has absolutely killed my sex drive. I'm on my fourth and last dose because I'm not feeling like this anymore!”

kbear October 2, 2009

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “So far so good on this medicine, I have tried just about every birth control pill out there, the only (and most annoying) side effects I have had so far are: breaking out really bad, there are waves of breakouts (mostly on my chin) that I have never had before, I am hoping that will subside. Also I have been more easily emotional about things, like if something is sad, I am more likely to cry about it than I would before. Hope this helps people out there wanting to try this, beware of any acne that may arise!”

Ashblue · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2019

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Been on Lessina for a month and a half skipped sugar pills to not have to deal with my extreme PMS as advised by my doctor. I have been bleeding for three weeks! The heaviest and most clotting period I have ever had to deal with! I have had tender breast and horrible mood swings. I am so anxious and tired. I could not tell you if it works for birth control, haven't been able to have sex since I have started this due to prolonged period.”

Anonymous November 12, 2009

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I loved seasonique. I took it for about a year. I am switching to Jolessa only because it is A LOT cheaper through my insurance. I never had bleeding unless I was on the inactive pills or I missed pills. I always had light periods while I was on it that were about 4 days. Wish I didn't have to switch.”

Judy04 January 20, 2015

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've been taking Aviane for about 2 months going on three. The first two months were great now that I am on the third pack I've been feeling really nauseated. Although it did help with severe cramps I do not like feeling like I have to throw up all the time. It also cleared up my face a little.”

SickMom273848399 · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2016

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “This is a terrible drug. I have tried 5 or 6 different birth control pills, but this one was unbearable. It gave me panic attacks, nausea, dizziness, and high blood pressure. I didn't last a week. I would never ever reccomend this birth control pill. I can't wait until it is 100% out of my system.”

Mich3ll321 January 18, 2017

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been on Aviane for 2 months now going on three, within the first month I've experienced headaches, depression, mood swings, severe cramping and bloating as well as stomach gain(which went down). All of those symptoms went away by the second month of taking this pill which I've experienced lighter periods still have mood swings and get depressed at times but I have very bad breakouts all over my face, chin and neck as well black marks on my forehead, I've always had acne but I've never experienced it this badly, I will continue to take it for the 3rd and 4th month just to see if anything gets better and I will keep you posted.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2018

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Non stop bleeding for 3 months after having a regular period for 30+ years. Anxiety. depression. Headache, nausea. Increased facial hair, breast size and retained water. Would NEVER recommend. 3 days after I stopped taking it my mental health immediately stabilized but the "breakthrough bleeding" continues. Glad I survived this preposterous experiment . Should be a class action suit!”

Shanny1997 August 29, 2015

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have tried alot of birth control already and I am only eighteen. I have been hospitized for extreme ovarian cysts. I first tried Ortho Cept and from missing one pill I bleed for two months straight. After that they put me on a low dose 3 month pack that gave me horrible break outs and break through bleeding. After those pills I tried evro patch and I was rushed to the hospital for extreme bleeding and my arm became paralyzed for a day. After this I was put onto Seasonale and it took two packs to start working. I then had to add depo shot with it. For people with extreme cases this will not be enough for you. For normal people this will make you gain a little weight but no breakouts and no break through bleeding or weird side effects.”

Alesse12345678 March 28, 2016

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was on Alesse for two full months. I had breakthrough bleeding for the entire first month. Throughout the two months I was nauseous, had stomach cramps, and had terrible headaches two to three times a week. I have never had a problem with headaches before, and these were unbearable. I had night sweats and worst of all, my depression and anxiety became the worst that I have ever seen them. Whenever I went on the 7 days of sugar pills my mood would improve. It worked wonders as a contraceptive and it got rid of my hormonal acne which is the reason I went on it. However, I'll deal with the acne because it's better than me wanting to die. This won't happen to everyone because I do have other mental health issues.”

Anonymous February 28, 2010

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been taking this drug for 4 weeks so far and I am highly disappointed. I have an ovary cyst and I need to block my period completely for several months to see what is happening (cyst is growing with each period). Instead, 19 days after my last period, I got slight bleeding, than it got growing and right now I am having almost 10 days of light bleeding, while taking this without a break. I paid $45 for it. I have never ever paid this high amount for 3 X 21 birth control pills. ”

NV March 20, 2011

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started using LoSeasonique a little over a week ago, mainly for irregular periods and the periodical ovarian cysts. I started my period on a Friday, and started taking the pill on the following Sunday. I did not take the pill right away, because I heard that if you begin taking the pill after the first day of a period, you will have lots of spotting. Anyway, my period stopped that sunday, and I have not had any spotting since. It has been exactly one week and I haven't experienced any cramps, bleeding, bloating or anything uncomfortable. I take it at 3 pm everyday, and usually take it with a whole glass of water so I wont experience any headaches. I really like this pill so far, and hope that I can continue.”

Handy Mimi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2017

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was switched to this generic after being on many others including the same Rx formula and other formulas in the past. This was by far the worst pill I've ever taken as far as being ineffective for hormone control. My ovarian cysts returned, I had more painful periods, acne, bloating, mood swings, and the feeling of not wanting to be near or touched by anyone. Once I was back on my previous brand of generic for 2 months I stabilized completely again.”

Learn more about Ovarian Cysts