User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Afirmelle, Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Ayuna, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, Delyla, Elifemme, Enpresse, Falmina, Fayosim, Introvale, Jolessa, Kurvelo, Larissia, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Levonest, Levonest-28, Levora, Lillow, Lo Simpesse, LoSeasonique, Lutera, Lybrel, Marlissa, Min-Ovral 21, Min-Ovral 28, Myzilra, Nordette, Nordette-21, Nordette-28, Orsythia, Portia, Preven EC, Quartette, Quasense, Rivelsa, Seasonale, Seasonique, Setlakin, Simpesse, Sronyx, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Triphasil-21, Triphasil-28, Triquilar 21, Triquilar 28, Trivora, Trivora-28, Vienva …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 103 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Started taking Aviane to regulate my periods. I was basically was having two (8-10 day) heavy periods a month. It was ridiculously and a bit embarrassing telling my husband not yet not yet all the time. So the side effect: nausea, acne acne acne, sex drive sky rocketed, really bad cramps, bloated, anxiety, and depression. I was not pleased by this birth control so I called my Dr. after my first pack and switched me to Blisorvi age 1/20. Everyone’s body responds differently though."

Meg0789 December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Been taking the pill for at least 10 years and was wonderful. However for the past year, I have noticed that even though I am taking it, my period is starting to come every 21-30 no matter what. I do not miss because I do not want the cycles at all and my menstrual periods were heavy, clotty and painful. I don't understand why it is doing this. I will stop the pill for about two or three months to see what happens. I feel that if I am taking the pill and still having my periods, what is the point. I will see. I will make an appt with my OBGYN and see what she says. Wow!"

Rhonda B. 53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started this to help with cramping, get my period every 3 months and control other issues. I normally get 1 heavy day and my period lasts for 4 days. Yeah well I have had a heavy period now for 4 days n non stop clotting. Don't take This!!"

Heatherjb December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "This birth-control is the worst! If you were OK with having consistent bleeding for over a month, then this is for you. If not, try something else because this is not worth it. I am now on week eight and still bleeding/spotting. I wish I would’ve read the reviews before starting this prescription. I hate it. If I could rate it a zero, I would."

New Jersey45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "This garbage pill turned me into a robot. I seriously had zero emotions and cared about nothing. I was only on it for a month but I'm still dealing with the acne it gave me all over my cheeks. I regret taking this pill so much. If you don't want extra body hair or deal with acne, choose a less androgenic pill. Otherwise, it didn't have any side effects besides body hair growth in places men usually have it, and acne all over the lower part of my face."

RiWields November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on these pills for 3 months now to combat heavy periods and everything has been great! I've had zero bleeding over the past 3 months. No headaches, no weight gain, no hair loss, so basically no side effects. I guess I'm lucky that my body seems to work well with these pills but everyone's experience is different. I'm on the yellow pills right now, expecting a period but I'm having some extremely light spotting and no breakthrough bleeding. According to the pharmacist this is normal in the beginning. I'm hopeful they continue to work well. Honestly, taking them at the same time every single day is the key to getting the best effectiveness possible. Well that's the end of my spiel."

Life's good (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I went on this because I had a nonstop period for months and developed severe anaemia. My bleeding stopped the next day! Then that day I developed the worst headache of my life and ever since I have had constant headaches. I have developed cyst-like pimples on my neck and face. They're deep, huge and painful. I didn't gain weight but thats because I monitor my calories. I think if I had of let myself eat the amount I wanted then I would have gained weight since I've been more hungrier than normal. I'm also diagnosed with depression but can usually manage it, yet this pill made me have the worst depressive episodes of my life. I don't wanna finish the pack but they were so damn expensive. Do not recommend."

ItsShar (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been using this medication for about 3 weeks and has been nothing but no stop bleed from the time my period came which normally last for 5 days and now I am on the 14th day of my period and heavy bleeding. I am really considering just stopping the pills altogether to see if my period will go away and also feel low sex drive and irritable."

angiebee (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Frustrating. Been on this pill for about 1.5 months and I've been trying to convince myself that I'm not getting any side effects. I use to be on it back when I was 16 and I was ok, not this time. After reading some of these review I think I can finally talk to the doctor and feel like I'm not crazy. I've been a RAGING COW. With my 4 yr old, With my boyfriend, with LIFE. Very, very much sleepy and sad! Want to just cry... have NO DESIRE to do ANYTHING. This pill is awful... didn't really want to admit or come to the realization that a little pill can have so much impact on your emotional state. Wow. Thank you, I feel convince now that I'm not crazy and have legitimate reasons to want to get off it."

Idkwtvr September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I just started this birth control to help my heavy flow and period cramps and when I began my pack, I was happy with the results because I had less acne and I never felt achy or crampy. As soon as I started the sugar pills, I got my period and my cramps continued to be as bad as they were before. Although my flow wasn't as heavy, my cramps were bad enough that I had to miss school and my extracurricular activities."

jnafn September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Originally was put on Levlen as a last resort to treat my Menorrhagia, after 6 months it eventually made my cycle normal-ish, which was great after dealing with that for 2 years. Experienced enormous weight gain, since going on it 3 years ago, I have doubled my weight, exercise, and diet hasn't stopped the weight gain, heaviest I've been in my life. It has happened to other members of my family with taking Levlen, so it might not happen to everyone. Had a lot of fainting, passing out 6 months in, my GP didn't really look into it. My mental health got worse on it too, huge difference in my mood, developed clinical depression, and anxiety. When I stopped taking the pill there was huge difference in my overall mood."

Dubh-Cheist (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've only been on falmina for 3 months and I'm on the fence about it. I'm having abnormal periods. They last almost two weeks now. My period comes the last week of the active pills and will last almost all 14 days. Acne hasn't been that bad so far but the nausea is pretty terrible. Doctor said to give it at least 6 months so we will see."

Fedup420 September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was having horrible peri-menopause symptoms. Basically PMS from hell. And it kept getting worse as I got older. I have never been on the pill before (I'm 47) and was hesitant to take it. But I did because I was suffering. I think the third day after I started Seasonique I felt better. It was amazing. I suspect I have always had hormonal issues because I started to feel "normal" which I had never felt before. The only two things negative I can say is that I was always fatigued and plus when I first started taking it I became bloated. I stopped taking it due to another health issue I have but would take it again if I could. Not having a period for 3 months at a time was wonderful."

chammich007 August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "So far, not so good. Have only been taking Sronyx for 22 days (so maybe it gets better after 2-3 months), during which time I experienced the heaviest period of my life with excessive clotting. Cramps were reduced, however. I'm not prone to acne but have an increased occurrence in pimples since taking. Generally I just feel 'off,' and not like myself."

Wouldn't recommend August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went through a few generics because the pharmacy seems to be very insensitive to people's potential needs. Vienva has been a miracle for me. I had a fairly common issue at age 51 - the nonstop period. I did have radiology, tests, second opinion and there is nothing wrong with me other than being at this stage in my life. Other generics gave limited improvement and what seemed like mild depression but Vienva has given me my life back. I am having to switch pharmacies because the old one seems to think it is no big deal to switch the generic EVERY time. Tired of fighting for my prescription. Not everyone is super sensitive to switching the generic, and I was initially optimistic that I would not be sensitive - but I am."

catty cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Before taking Chateal, I was on Sprintec for 9 years. I had a flawless experience with Sprintec, but when my health insurance ended I was left with Chateal. The first few months were fine, but over time I started spotting between periods more and more frequently. I was very careful about taking it at the same time every day, but still the spotting persisted. After just over a year on Chateal and about 6 months of spotting, I switched back to Sprintec a week ago and no spotting yet! Also, while on Chateal I felt down a lot of the time and had pretty bad anxiety. I'd rather pay out of pocket for Sprintec than get Chateal for free. It kept me from getting pregnant though, so it works in that sense."

Stephii August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "After years of trying bc pills to regulate my hormones and try to stop crippling daily migraines & vomiting I tried Seasonique . For the first time I've been migraine free since I started . It also stopped the bleeding I'd had for weeks. I finally am able to normal things like clean my home without feeling faint n puking. I am happy and pain free. No migraines no painful bloating. I was about ready to give up on life . I had zero hope. I finally feel what it's like to be normal & not constantly ill."

Jenn411 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "This birthcontrol works great. I've been taking it near 8 years now & no problems. It may be of contributed to a few lbs but not much else. Lessened my periods from 7-11 days of heavy flow to 4-5 days & relatively light. My skin hasn't really changed & it does not contribute to any emotional changes."

7 1/2 years (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I'm 38 years old and perimenopausal. I started this pill to regulate my horrific bleeding and cramping. The first two months were AWESOME, but since that time I have been bleeding for six weeks straight. My doctor advised that I skip the sugar pills and try a couple more weeks of the second pack and see if my cycle regulates. Into the second week of the second pack and I'm still currently bleeding and cramping and am stopping this medication today. Also I gained 10 pounds, feel "blue", randomly cry for no reason and have had extreme mood swings. I would not recommend seasonique or any generic equivalent of this drug. My next step is an ablation procedure. : ("

Nottttt happy June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was referred to get on birth control because of my abnormal menstrual cycle. At first I was on Orthocyclen Lo and after a year, decided that I didn't want to be on birth control anymore as I never remembered to take the pill. I then didn't have a period for about 5 months and finally it returned to my normal 7 day cycle. The next month it was on for a whole month before I decided to go back to my doctors office because it was driving me insane! They then suggested that I take LoSeasonique. I just finished my first pack, but I don't like this pill at all. I feel AWFUL each and everyday! I have really bad stomach pain and I constantly feel like I have to vomit. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing these symptoms!"

Imanismalls May 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been on this pill for almost a year. The first nine months (three cycles) went by without any issues. I was put on it because I get sick every time I get my period and my cramps are terrible. Half way through my eleventh month, I got my period, but I figured it was just spotting, so I continued to take the normal pill. Almost six week later, I'm still bleeding, and I've felt faint the past few days. This is hell. I'm switching off of it next week."

anonymouswriter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking it in March. First month was fine. Little over a week into second month some spotting started and turned into full period by the end of the week. Currently horrible cramps and bleeding seems to be getting heavier. Based on other reviews, uncertain if it's even going to stop soon or get any better. Wondering if I should bother waiting it out or stop before it gets worse. It's different for everyone but it's apparently not unusual for this to occur"

Lily9719 April 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was prescribed Falmina bc I was having too many heavy periods and was anemic, and also because I always got bad cramps and headaches. The first month was fine but the second month it seemed to just stop working, I had horrible cramps, heavy bleeding and my hemoglobin (iron) levels have dropped. I'm constantly tired, and have lost all sense of self motivation. Also I'm getting significantly more breakouts than I ever have before."

Izziw March 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Seasonale for over a year now, and it is the only birth control that has actually worked for me, after going through 6 other brands. I went from having very heavy periods and cramping for 7 days, to having a very light (hardly there) period every 3 months. It also managed to clear up the cystic acne that came along with it. My only issue with it was that for the first month or two on the pill, I did have some spotting and bleeding, but it quickly went away, and haven't had any bleeding since then. Other than that I haven't experienced any other symptoms, and I highly recommend Seasonale!"

Briannaleslie (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started taking these pills January 12,2017 bc I didn't won't to deal with having a period anymore...the worst mistake do not take! My hormones are jacked up. I'm am very moody my appetite is crazy I have gain 10 pounds and also I been bleeding for 3 weeks straight. My Dr told me to continue to take but I will not take this med - he even tried change the dosage and give me some menopause meds. I said I'm not taking any of that meds it had me so messed up bad. I'm am bleeding so much from my uterus. They are recommending that I have Nova Sure surgery done. I will keep u post but beware this birth control is not good at all these. reviews are truth."

KatrinaT34 February 24, 2017