User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Afirmelle, Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Ayuna, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, ...show all 62 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

4.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"Started taking it in March. First month was fine. Little over a week into second month some spotting started and turned into full period by the end of the week. Currently horrible cramps and bleeding seems to be getting heavier. Based on other reviews, uncertain if it's even going to stop soon or get any better. Wondering if I should bother waiting it out or stop before it gets worse. It's different for everyone but it's apparently not unusual for this to occur"

Lily9719 April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was prescribed Falmina bc I was having too many heavy periods and was anemic, and also because I always got bad cramps and headaches. The first month was fine but the second month it seemed to just stop working, I had horrible cramps, heavy bleeding and my hemoglobin (iron) levels have dropped. I'm constantly tired, and have lost all sense of self motivation. Also I'm getting significantly more breakouts than I ever have before."

Izziw March 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Seasonale for over a year now, and it is the only birth control that has actually worked for me, after going through 6 other brands. I went from having very heavy periods and cramping for 7 days, to having a very light (hardly there) period every 3 months. It also managed to clear up the cystic acne that came along with it. My only issue with it was that for the first month or two on the pill, I did have some spotting and bleeding, but it quickly went away, and haven't had any bleeding since then. Other than that I haven't experienced any other symptoms, and I highly recommend Seasonale!"

Briannaleslie (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started taking these pills January 12,2017 bc I didn't won't to deal with having a period anymore...the worst mistake do not take! My hormones are jacked up. I'm am very moody my appetite is crazy I have gain 10 pounds and also I been bleeding for 3 weeks straight. My Dr told me to continue to take but I will not take this med - he even tried change the dosage and give me some menopause meds. I said I'm not taking any of that meds it had me so messed up bad. I'm am bleeding so much from my uterus. They are recommending that I have Nova Sure surgery done. I will keep u post but beware this birth control is not good at all these. reviews are truth."

KatrinaT34 February 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Love this! I have been on this pill for years now and it is amazing. I use to have heavy bleeding and horrible cramps and this pill has stopped it for me. Due to being anemic and having endometriosis I am set to have my period every 6 months and I never spot in between. This pill is definitely for people who's body can handle going long terms with out a menstrual period. And you have to follow directions, taking the pill the same exact time every day and never missing a pill. Its the only way it will work properly"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I wish I would have read these comments prior to me starting this pill. THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!! I have been bleeding and passing EXTREMELY LARGE blood clots for 13 days. It started 2 days into my second pack. The pain is severe almost mirroring labor pains with abdominal contractions everytime I pass a clot. I stopped the pill and bleeding continues to get worse. Avoid this pill like the plague!!"

Disappointed x infinity February 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "So I've wanted to be on BC pills for the longest just for menstrual cramps. My pcp said this would be great. I've been constantly sad, and extremely tired. No matter how much sleep I get it's never enough. I always have itching in my private area and it never seems to go away to the point where it breaks open and seeps blood. Also the non stop spotting is crazy to deal with. I've been spotting for literally a month. I know spotting is definitely expected but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I definitely want to be off of this pill and it's only been a month literally ! I rather take a Motrin 800 mg pill to deal with my cramps than to deal with this mess. It's so NOT worth it."

Thisnurse February 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Lutera for almost 4 years prior to it being discontinued. It worked great from the get-go. However, once discontinued, I was given orsythia in replacement. It was horrible, I had awful acne (after never really having acne problems other than an occasion pimple), it made me irritable, I had very heavy bleeding, and I was contstantly tired. Then I got a 3 month supply through express scripts for convenience. I was given the literal generic, no name. It has been the worst. Dark stringy discharge for a week, dizzy, anxiety is through the roof, stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. Called my doctor and waiting to hear back.... awful experience..."

Sarahnicole93 January 30, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been taking this medicine for almost 3 months now and during this last month of the pills I have been spotting/light bleeding for a month. I took other pills before and it did not happen. I will be stopping this when I am done with this pack."

Chgdhsjkakaka January 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "My GP recommended Seasonique because I was anemic and experiencing very heavy blood flow each month. In the year that I took this medication, I felt depressed and even suicidal at the beginning; gained weight as expected and had a hard time losing weight while on it. At the end of the first 3 months, the flow was heavy for 8 days! I kept with it in spite of menstrual cramps, higher appetite, heavy bleeding when I had my period and really annoying mood swings. After one year I decided to stop because it's easier to take iron supplements than take this pill. With 2 children and at peri-menopause age, I wouldn't recommend this product to any woman at any stage of life. Too unpredictable and not worth the unseen side effects."

Crys01 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Start taking the medication to stop it. But it never did I've been on the pill for 2 weeks now and it seem like I'm bleeding more than when I was not on the pill having huge blood clots and bleeding uncontrollably calling doctor in the morning to see what I can do"

Tia w. (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Started taking generic brand first two months worked fine three days into my third pack started spotting now I'm full blown on my period. Have always bled for five days and always lighten up by fourth day I'm still bleeding very heavy and it's day six not sure if I should stop taking pill or wait it out"

mira85 October 30, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this BC after going to the doctor and having serious periods that came every two weeks almost and cramps that were out of this world. I am now on my second week of the third pack, so been on for about two months and a week and I haven't stopped bleeding/spotting for about seven weeks. I am constantly having to buy tampons and pads but for the past two weeks it hasn't stopped. Called my doctor and was told I needed to stick with it cause it take three months to get in the system before it starts working like it supposed to. The only thing this has done is keep me from breaking out. I have gained around ten pounds and hoping to not gain anymore. Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone."

StevieJ October 28, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been on Quasense for 7 weeks and 5 days and as of today I have been bleeding for 7 WEEKS STRAIGHT! I started my "period" 3 days after taking my first pill and I haven't stopped bleeding since. The first 3-4 weeks were constant heavy bleeding and then it begin to taper off(actually giving me hope). Weeks 4-6 were pretty light, brown blood here and there(but still consistent daily) throughout the day and I was even more hopeful. Week 6 the bleeding began to become heavy again.....Now here it is week 7 and I'm bleeding like I would be on my normal period! I'm OVER IT! This is STUPID!"

Belle38309 October 28, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I loved the thought of not having a period EVERY month, as advertised. It worked great for 6 & 1/2 years. Light spotting when I started back then, and lighter periods and not buying so many tampons was very nice! I got off the pill for 6 months (for financial reasons.) Decided to go back on it, and now I'm in month two and on my 11th day bleeding. Started as spotting, then got heavier each day after, & minor clotting. I saw dark brown blood on day 9 of bleeding, thought it was ending, finally, then next day...BAM, back to bright red bleeding again, & HORRIBLE cramping to go with it! I'm a mess emotionally. It's like PmS, but not going away once the period starts. I think it's turned on me. Time for a switch! I can't affOrd ALL these pads"

Spotty LaUrA (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Best birth control ever. My doctor prescribed this to me because of heavy bleeding but I was more interested in the birth control portion of it. I've been on it for 3 months now, the first month and a half, I did break out a little. No more than a pimple or two here or there (I had easy skin to begin with), and only had headaches and nausea the first week or so. No problems with weight gain AT ALL. I'm a fitness freak, so beginning this drug actually worried me. I stand corrected, if anything my six pack is far more visible than it was prior to taking syronx. Did its job as birth control pretty well, but I still try to use duo protection. Overall pleased, thanks tricare."

coolnursingstudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "After years of severely painful and agonizing 7 day heavy periods, my doctor recommended Levora. I have been on this pill for over a year now and it has been amazing. Only side effects I have had are positive- my boob size increased an entire cup and I have just about no acne! My periods have also shortened to less than 3 days and they are extremely light, no pain or headaches anymore either. My period comes the same time, same day, every single month. I was petrified to start birth control but I couldn't stand the horrible periods anymore. I am so happy my doctor suggested Levora as I no longer lose sleep laying awake in pain! This pill has done wonders for me!"

lolany92 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 29, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amethia Lo (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have always suffered from having heavy periods, I have tried nuvaring a nothing happened I tried an iud and it slipped out during the first month. I went back to my dr, and she suggested seasonique but a generic brand.. I did and it worked for one month. Then I started to bleed heavier than I have ever bled before. I can't go out of the house for long periods of time because my flow is so heavy now I leak through a super tampon and an overnight pad I have been this way for 15 days and my dr. Said I just have to wait it out. Iam not going to do that I stopped taking the pills and iam hoping this flow will slow down and stop sometime soon. I do not recommend this pill at all."

jayb7903125 September 25, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "It helped slow my period but it gave me intense cramps. Will be switching as soon as this pack is up"

CyLane September 19, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was put on this because I originally had irregular bleeding. Normally, a week before my period I would spot, have my period for about 3 days and be done. Since being put on Orsythia, I've already been fully bleeding for 2 weeks plus 1 week of heavy spotting before hand. Needless to say, I have an emergency OB appointment on Monday to get me on something else that doesn't make this condition worse than it already was. The only two things this helped with was the life altering cramps/body pains during pms and it also did not take away from my sex drive (though I could not even have sex because of the erratic bleeding).... I would NOT recommend this to my worse enemy."

Kevans628 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "So after having my second child and finishing nursing I was having major cramping the week of my period. Not debilitating, but extremely uncomfortable. My obgyn recommended seasonique more for hormone control than for birth control. I tried it and absolutely loved it for the 65 days. Then my period started earlier than I'd anticipated, but no big deal, right? I'm currently on day 18 of my period. Aside from the cramps and some genera moodiness my periods before lasted 4 days and weren't a big deal. I've now bought stock in tampax and Kotex. It'll lighten up and then wham! Called my doctor and she's switching me back to loestrin which previously did nothing to help with the cramps and moodiness, but at this point I'll take it!"

MotherOfTwoBoys September 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "To preface this, this is merely my experience, for everyone's experience may be different. I was prescribed this after having abnormal periods (skipping 1-3 months, and upon arrival, lasting for 1-2 weeks in addition to excruciating pain). During the first month, the first week I felt somewhat nauseated and tired, but the rest it cleared away. Acne was gone, period was lighter. However, starting now on the second month, I am completely repulsed by food and have other gastrointestinal symptoms on top of pre-existing conditions (which is a problem for someone who does weight training) and I'm tired pretty often, thus I will no longer be taking it. Additionally, Orsythia has also made my mental illness symptoms far worse."

Quinn8687 September 5, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started taking Seasonale 3 months ago as my previous birth control medication was no longer effective. I take it to regulate my periods as they never regulated on their own. Everything was going well (no pain or abnormal bleeding) until this past week when I got my period while taking the week of inactive pills. I have recently suffered 48 hours of intense breast pain and swelling (way worse than "tenderness") where the pain hits in waves and makes it nearly impossible to do anything. I am exhausted from being in this much pain. I have also experienced my left breast "leaking" for most of the day which is really uncomfortable. My body now thinks it is pregnant which is something I should not have to deal with. Not taking this again."

Yujie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been taking Lutera for Dilated veins in uterus (PVC) i've been on it for about 3 months to ease cramps & decrease bleeding, but it hasn't really done either. During the first month of the pill, I bled daily so I didn't necessarily have a period. I also gained about 5 pounds within 2 weeks, became extremely moody & still had issues with cramps. Month 2, I still experienced a lot of spotting, but it would be supressed for about a day or two, then continue for a week. I actually had a lighter period & some of the cramping was eased, but the weight gain & moodiness came with depression, lack of energy & made my skin breakout (seeing I never really had acne issues). I'm almost done with my 3rd pack & I plan to switch pills once I'm able to visit my doctor again."

mymymy937 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Started taking this pill 3 months ago. Worked fine the first month. No spotting or anything, now I'm on month 3 and I have been on a heavy flow peorid for 3 weeks. Acne is acting out. And massive weight gain. Used to weigh 120 and now I weigh 134. Do not recommend this drug"

Brookeghh July 10, 2016