User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Afirmelle, Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Ayuna, Balcoltra, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, Delyla, Elifemme, Enpresse, Falmina, Fayosim, Introvale, Jaimiess, Jolessa, Kurvelo, Larissia, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Levonest, Levora, Lillow, Lo Simpesse, LoSeasonique, Lutera, Lybrel, Marlissa, Min-Ovral 21, Min-Ovral 28, Myzilra, Nordette, Nordette-21, Nordette-28, Orsythia, Portia, Preven EC, Quartette, Quasense, Rivelsa, Seasonale, Seasonique, Setlakin, Simpesse, Sronyx, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Triphasil-21, Triphasil-28, Triquilar 21, Triquilar 28, Trivora, Vienva …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

4.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I’ve been on this birth control for only a month and I’ve already been experiencing bad side effects. I would almost compare this to depo (which I also had a horrible experience on). I’ve been having bad mood swings and changes in my mood. I feel as if my thoughts have also changed and I’ve had some unwanted thoughts about disturbing things. It has made me less social and has made my anxiety and depression worse. I believe that I probably have a hormone sensitivity of some sort because every birth control that I’ve been on has messed with my thoughts / moods. Not to mention, it hasn’t changed my periods at all. After this I’m probably going to steer clear of synthetic hormones for good so I can feel like my normal self."

Kass_96 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I thought this birth control option was the holy grail for my long and excruciatingly painful periods. I had tried it a few years ago and it made me sick to my stomach for about four weeks so I stopped. But I tried it again and LOVED it. Four periods a year that were totally manageable.. sign me up! My incessant mood swings were better, my skin was clear, it was great. All was well until I realized that I had gained 40 lbs, my health started rapidly deteriorating, and I learned my liver was near failing. If this medicine didn't have these horrible side effects I would have stayed on it forever and given them all of my money. Obviously, I had to be taken off of it though for the sake of my liver and to get back to a healthy weight. I'll probably give the NuvaRing another try and possibly use it to skip periods like my Seasonique naturally did since my periods are back to being painful now without it. If you want to try this, I say go for it, but it's NOT a long term solution."

kaylarose (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2018

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Started this to treat abnormal, irregular periods. I can say it treated that perfectly. No irregular nor painful periods ever since I started it. I used to also break out super hard before my period and that was also cleared up. I might get one small zit a month now. However, I cannot take this medication anymore. It has an incredibly strong effect on my mood, it makes me nauseous, and my appetite for both food and sex is nearly zero. I want to like this birth control. I've been on it for more than four months now, but it is not for me. I cannot handle how it affects my stomach and my mood. I won't say it's terrible, though, because it DOES do what it's meant to do. My periods are incredibly light and regular. Comes right on the second day of the last week and lasts only about three or four days. I recommend at least trying it. It is effective. Just keep a journal for your moods and sex drive."

Natali (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Switched from tri sprintec because of side effects started jolessa. The first 7 weeks were great no side effects no issues. I'm now ten weeks in. I started spotting at the end of week 7 which was normal but it kept getting heavier. I've been bleeding heavily for 14 days now, longer than any of my periods before birth control. I've also had cramps so bad that it caused vomiting which has never happened before. I'm nearly doubled over in pain half the day and constantly nauseous. I saw one doctor they told me to stick with the pill so I did but my symptoms only continued to get worse so I got a second opinion from a doctor trained in this field. She recommended stopping the pill. So I did the bleeding is the same after being pill free for three days I've been really sick nausea, and headache. Starting jolessa was great and I thought it was helping but if I knew it would have been such a nightmare I never would have went on this pill"

Alice (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on seasonique for almost 2 years, I started it because I had severe anemia due to extremely heavy periods. This medication has caused me to gain about 17lb steadily since I started it. Even when I restrict how much I eat I somehow have gained weight. I body looks no different from when I started the birth control, yet somehow I am 17 pounds heavier. I have become depressed and even more anxious than usual on seasonique. However, I hardly get a period, only 1-2 days of mild bleeding, and probably a week or so of spotting. My iron levels are up, so I mean, despite the symptoms its caused, it did what it was intended to do for me."

jasmine (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2018

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was on Falmina for three years, but when Walgreen's bought Rite Aid I was given Aviane, exact same low dose as Falmina but the generic brand. I've never had breakthrough bleeding on Falmina, but with Aviane I bled EVERY DAY of the pack. Also, I've had terrible anxiety and mood changes. Never taking this pill again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2018

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Portia for 4 months for heavy and long periods. I have an ablation for fibroids 2 years ago and it was a failed ablation which left me with one tiny fibroid. It was causing problems with periods lasting up to 8 days and spotting in the middle of the months. I am so please with this pill. I am 47 and I am ready for my periods to be over. Being on Portia allows me to plan my vacations. My periods are lasting about 6 days now. With the 1st days being basically spotting and day 5 being light and day 6 being spotting with a watery drainage. My only problem is that my sex drive has been very high. I thought it was may age. I have always had a sex drive but now it is so unbearably high. I like this pill and hope that my days continue to decrease. I will keep the sex drive because I am going to need it when my soulmate comes. lol"

QueenKnee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2018

"Was prescribed this med for heavy periods that were causing anemia. First month had a 14 day "period". This month(second) 24 days and counting. Absolutely horrid!"

Giigii (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "This was for my cycle regulation. It was okay until my hair started shedding. Every time I ran my hand through it would come out with 5-7 hairs, bulb and all. My hairdresser noticed there was excessive shedding in the brush when I went, and I'm still sweeping up hairs all over my apartment, and picking them off everything. I also felt angrier and my anxiety intensified in the fourth month to the point where I couldn't control it, so I switched off. There was no weight gain, breast growth, etc, but it also didn't make my periods any less painful and they were still very heavy. I spotted the full first month, but it stopped in the second. My sex drive was increased, I had a breakout of a few cystic acne lesions in the third month. (Which was awful, because I never get acne) and it left some hyperpigmentation scarring. I wouldn't go back on it. Maybe it will work for some, I must just be sensitive to the progestin used in Alesse."

Lise February 22, 2018

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been on this for a month and I was in horrible shape. Spotting, mood swings, headaches, chest pain, shortness of breath, weight gain, major cramps and tummy gurgling. I was in a bad mood every day and I couldn't be nice to my children. I stopped taking them and its like magic, all. My symptoms disappeared . I'm so upset. My new dr recommend this since they do not carry chateal. I loved chateal. It worked great!! I wish my insurance carried these. Never will i take nor recommend this bc."

Tori510 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2018

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I am on BC for abnormal period bleeding. I switched from Lutera to Aviane and now have terrible acne. When I have my off week, everything clears up. Afterwards I'm back to 3 more weeks of painful acne."

lvlivin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2018

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Worst decision of my life was to start this birth control. After just 5 weeks of being on it. I started spotting, then it moved into full blown heavy period. With the worst cramps I’ve ever experienced in my life! I would be changing my pad every hour along with taking pain medicine to try and help with cramping but even that didn’t help. I was in so much pain I was calling in to not go to work which I have worked for over 35 years and never call in sick. Starting this birth-control has messed with my life physically and emotionally the past month and a half that I’ve been on this so I stopped taking the pill and my symptoms have been getting worse. I talked my doctor and she said to just stay on the pill. I refuse to continue to take it I’m just praying that the symptoms will go away as soon as the hormones withdrawals from my body. I took this birth control to help not get my period and it’s only been the opposite and a nightmare if symptoms since taking it."

June56 February 2, 2018

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started taking this pill 8 years ago. It was awesome. Light periods that lasted only a few days! Recently on third month spotting started. I figured period was coming early bc of stress. About 3 weeks later I’m having the heaviest period I’ve had in YEARS! Painful cramps, clots and just so much bleeding! I am miserable!"

Me2018 February 1, 2018

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I woke up last night at 1am to serious cramps and a heavy flow after taking Chateal for three months. The cramps slowly got worse keeping me up until 4 am when they felt like contractions. At this point I woke my boyfriend up and asked him to take me to the hospital. On our way I started gushing bright red blood and many many blood clots came along with that. As soon as I got into the ER I had lost so much blood that they thought I was miscarrying so they didn't make me wait. I was passing out, bleeding out, getting hot, and throwing up profusely. Literally thought I was dying. They were talking about the possibility of me needing a blood transfusion. After a pregnancy test, ultrasound, pelvic exam, and blood tests they told me I was not miscarrying but was likely caused by the birth control I was on at the time. 5 hours later I had been given enough blood to leave the hospital but I am still weak and tired from the blood loss. I will no longer take chateal."

Gabiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have only been on this pill for a week and I won’t stop bleeding!!! Super anxious , moody, bloated, and hot flashes!! Stay away"

Anonymous January 25, 2018

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was on seasonique for 3 years and had no problems until 1 day my birth control decided not to work for me anymore. I bled non stop for 7 weeks and was in so much pain. I was scared to try a new BC but Lessina changed everything. I was sick the first week on it but after that I was great . I was told to skip sugar pill because of underlying issues and so far I just spot every 3 months for a week. I’ve been on this BC for 6 months now and so far I’m happy I switched."

CScho January 25, 2018

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was put on this birth control about four months ago. My skin is dry, itchy. My breast tender. I feel fatigued most days. Let's talk periods. My first period being on this pill was fine - less pain, less bleeding, I thought oh my goodness I'm going to love this pill. Then bam massive blood clots, heavy bleeding now I'm having my period twice in a month about 7 days apart! What!? I'm in my early 40's this is no good for me. I went through a large pack of pads and an entire pack of tampons in two days! Then it appeared my period was black not red but black! I told my husband we have given it 24 hrs before I was going to ER. I'm constantly hungry and thirsty too! I really think this pill really needs to be evaluated again!"

Mrs.GHam January 24, 2018

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started this pill 2 months ago and the first month went smoothly no issues, however this month is another story. This month I got my period a week before the sugar pills were suppose to start and it wasn't a super light or super heavy until about the 6th of the period when basically all hell broke loose and for the 6-13th day of my period it was full on blood clots as large as the tampons, excessive bleeding, using 10-15 tampons per day, needing to change pad at least twice a night., I was getting lightheaded and weak/tired. Worst experience I've ever had. I went on the pill to fix my irregular bleeding but instead it made it 100x worse than it was before. Do not recommend"

eekk2 January 17, 2018

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I’m 43 year old black female and have been dealing with fibroids since 2013. I was told that the BCP would stop the bleeding. I would bleed for 90 days at a time and had to be put on iron pills and stool softener. I’ve been on them for over 4 months. Two days after I started them I started bleeding. Now I’m about to have a hysterectomy due to going from 1 fibroid to 7. They didn’t shrink at all. I got the last 5 in the last year. I did not break out, but did gain a lot of weight. My doctor wanted me to take them for another 12 months. I said to heck with that! Glad to be off these babies."

T’ara January 17, 2018

"I hate camrese. I started on amethia for the first 3 months and everything was great. When I went to pick up my next 3 month pack the pharmacy had switched to the generic camrese I figured no biggie they're the same. BIG NOPE! It took almost a week before my period stopped at the start of the pack. Then throughout the first 2 months it was almost every 3 to 4 days I would have spotting when I would use the restroom. Now the week before I was supposed to start my period it has come on even though I am still on the active dose. I cannot wait to be back on the amethia as it did as it was supposed to for me with no big side effects. Also in the last 3 months the camrese has raised my blood preassure where I was fine on the amethia."

Tobbie911 January 7, 2018

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I love this birth control!! I have been on it for almost 2 years, it is great for me! My periods are lighter, less cramps. In August my pharmacy swapped me to Avaine and I saw a terrible change. My bleeding became so irregular, I had brown mucus until I started the next pack, I would start super late in the in actives or early in the actives. I would cramp all month. I hated avaine. I swapped pharmacies and am now back on lutera and I cannot wait for everything to go back to normal."

Lex2415 December 29, 2017

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have always had the most irregular periods since I first got mine in 7th grade, with rather heavy bleeding and the absolute worst cramps. I always just dealt with guessing when it would come and stuck it out, however the idea of birth control had always been in the back of my mind. Once I became sexually active however, is when I decided that it would be the best time to go on it. As for the actual birth control part, I never had any pregnancy scares (luckily), and the flow became lighter, and the cramps became more bearable. However once I started taking it, I have had the worst acne I have ever, specifically on my chin area. I just recently switched to a different brand due to it. I highly suggest avoiding this brand for that reason."

genny21 December 19, 2017

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Started taking Aviane to regulate my periods. I was basically was having two (8-10 day) heavy periods a month. It was ridiculously and a bit embarrassing telling my husband not yet not yet all the time. So the side effect: nausea, acne acne acne, sex drive sky rocketed, really bad cramps, bloated, anxiety, and depression. I was not pleased by this birth control so I called my Dr. after my first pack and switched me to Blisorvi age 1/20. Everyone’s body responds differently though."

Meg0789 December 13, 2017

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Been taking the pill for at least 10 years and was wonderful. However for the past year, I have noticed that even though I am taking it, my period is starting to come every 21-30 no matter what. I do not miss because I do not want the cycles at all and my menstrual periods were heavy, clotty and painful. I don't understand why it is doing this. I will stop the pill for about two or three months to see what happens. I feel that if I am taking the pill and still having my periods, what is the point. I will see. I will make an appt with my OBGYN and see what she says. Wow!"

Rhonda B. 53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2017

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started this to help with cramping, get my period every 3 months and control other issues. I normally get 1 heavy day and my period lasts for 4 days. Yeah well I have had a heavy period now for 4 days n non stop clotting. Don't take This!!"

Heatherjb December 2, 2017