User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Afirmelle, Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Ayuna, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, ...show all 63 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 103 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been using this medication for about 3 weeks and has been nothing but no stop bleed from the time my period came which normally last for 5 days and now I am on the 14th day of my period and heavy bleeding. I am really considering just stopping the pills altogether to see if my period will go away and also feel low sex drive and irritable."

angiebee (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Frustrating. Been on this pill for about 1.5 months and I've been trying to convince myself that I'm not getting any side effects. I use to be on it back when I was 16 and I was ok, not this time. After reading some of these review I think I can finally talk to the doctor and feel like I'm not crazy. I've been a RAGING COW. With my 4 yr old, With my boyfriend, with LIFE. Very, very much sleepy and sad! Want to just cry... have NO DESIRE to do ANYTHING. This pill is awful... didn't really want to admit or come to the realization that a little pill can have so much impact on your emotional state. Wow. Thank you, I feel convince now that I'm not crazy and have legitimate reasons to want to get off it."

Idkwtvr September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I just started this birth control to help my heavy flow and period cramps and when I began my pack, I was happy with the results because I had less acne and I never felt achy or crampy. As soon as I started the sugar pills, I got my period and my cramps continued to be as bad as they were before. Although my flow wasn't as heavy, my cramps were bad enough that I had to miss school and my extracurricular activities."

jnafn September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Originally was put on Levlen as a last resort to treat my Menorrhagia, after 6 months it eventually made my cycle normal-ish, which was great after dealing with that for 2 years. Experienced enormous weight gain, since going on it 3 years ago, I have doubled my weight, exercise, and diet hasn't stopped the weight gain, heaviest I've been in my life. It has happened to other members of my family with taking Levlen, so it might not happen to everyone. Had a lot of fainting, passing out 6 months in, my GP didn't really look into it. My mental health got worse on it too, huge difference in my mood, developed clinical depression, and anxiety. When I stopped taking the pill there was huge difference in my overall mood."

Dubh-Cheist (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've only been on falmina for 3 months and I'm on the fence about it. I'm having abnormal periods. They last almost two weeks now. My period comes the last week of the active pills and will last almost all 14 days. Acne hasn't been that bad so far but the nausea is pretty terrible. Doctor said to give it at least 6 months so we will see."

Fedup420 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was having horrible peri-menopause symptoms. Basically PMS from hell. And it kept getting worse as I got older. I have never been on the pill before (I'm 47) and was hesitant to take it. But I did because I was suffering. I think the third day after I started Seasonique I felt better. It was amazing. I suspect I have always had hormonal issues because I started to feel "normal" which I had never felt before. The only two things negative I can say is that I was always fatigued and plus when I first started taking it I became bloated. I stopped taking it due to another health issue I have but would take it again if I could. Not having a period for 3 months at a time was wonderful."

chammich007 August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "So far, not so good. Have only been taking Sronyx for 22 days (so maybe it gets better after 2-3 months), during which time I experienced the heaviest period of my life with excessive clotting. Cramps were reduced, however. I'm not prone to acne but have an increased occurrence in pimples since taking. Generally I just feel 'off,' and not like myself."

Wouldn't recommend August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went through a few generics because the pharmacy seems to be very insensitive to people's potential needs. Vienva has been a miracle for me. I had a fairly common issue at age 51 - the nonstop period. I did have radiology, tests, second opinion and there is nothing wrong with me other than being at this stage in my life. Other generics gave limited improvement and what seemed like mild depression but Vienva has given me my life back. I am having to switch pharmacies because the old one seems to think it is no big deal to switch the generic EVERY time. Tired of fighting for my prescription. Not everyone is super sensitive to switching the generic, and I was initially optimistic that I would not be sensitive - but I am."

catty cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Before taking Chateal, I was on Sprintec for 9 years. I had a flawless experience with Sprintec, but when my health insurance ended I was left with Chateal. The first few months were fine, but over time I started spotting between periods more and more frequently. I was very careful about taking it at the same time every day, but still the spotting persisted. After just over a year on Chateal and about 6 months of spotting, I switched back to Sprintec a week ago and no spotting yet! Also, while on Chateal I felt down a lot of the time and had pretty bad anxiety. I'd rather pay out of pocket for Sprintec than get Chateal for free. It kept me from getting pregnant though, so it works in that sense."

Stephii August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "After years of trying bc pills to regulate my hormones and try to stop crippling daily migraines & vomiting I tried Seasonique . For the first time I've been migraine free since I started . It also stopped the bleeding I'd had for weeks. I finally am able to normal things like clean my home without feeling faint n puking. I am happy and pain free. No migraines no painful bloating. I was about ready to give up on life . I had zero hope. I finally feel what it's like to be normal & not constantly ill."

Jenn411 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "This birthcontrol works great. I've been taking it near 8 years now & no problems. It may be of contributed to a few lbs but not much else. Lessened my periods from 7-11 days of heavy flow to 4-5 days & relatively light. My skin hasn't really changed & it does not contribute to any emotional changes."

7 1/2 years (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I'm 38 years old and perimenopausal. I started this pill to regulate my horrific bleeding and cramping. The first two months were AWESOME, but since that time I have been bleeding for six weeks straight. My doctor advised that I skip the sugar pills and try a couple more weeks of the second pack and see if my cycle regulates. Into the second week of the second pack and I'm still currently bleeding and cramping and am stopping this medication today. Also I gained 10 pounds, feel "blue", randomly cry for no reason and have had extreme mood swings. I would not recommend seasonique or any generic equivalent of this drug. My next step is an ablation procedure. : ("

Nottttt happy June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was referred to get on birth control because of my abnormal menstrual cycle. At first I was on Orthocyclen Lo and after a year, decided that I didn't want to be on birth control anymore as I never remembered to take the pill. I then didn't have a period for about 5 months and finally it returned to my normal 7 day cycle. The next month it was on for a whole month before I decided to go back to my doctors office because it was driving me insane! They then suggested that I take LoSeasonique. I just finished my first pack, but I don't like this pill at all. I feel AWFUL each and everyday! I have really bad stomach pain and I constantly feel like I have to vomit. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing these symptoms!"

Imanismalls May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been on this pill for almost a year. The first nine months (three cycles) went by without any issues. I was put on it because I get sick every time I get my period and my cramps are terrible. Half way through my eleventh month, I got my period, but I figured it was just spotting, so I continued to take the normal pill. Almost six week later, I'm still bleeding, and I've felt faint the past few days. This is hell. I'm switching off of it next week."

anonymouswriter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking it in March. First month was fine. Little over a week into second month some spotting started and turned into full period by the end of the week. Currently horrible cramps and bleeding seems to be getting heavier. Based on other reviews, uncertain if it's even going to stop soon or get any better. Wondering if I should bother waiting it out or stop before it gets worse. It's different for everyone but it's apparently not unusual for this to occur"

Lily9719 April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was prescribed Falmina bc I was having too many heavy periods and was anemic, and also because I always got bad cramps and headaches. The first month was fine but the second month it seemed to just stop working, I had horrible cramps, heavy bleeding and my hemoglobin (iron) levels have dropped. I'm constantly tired, and have lost all sense of self motivation. Also I'm getting significantly more breakouts than I ever have before."

Izziw March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Seasonale for over a year now, and it is the only birth control that has actually worked for me, after going through 6 other brands. I went from having very heavy periods and cramping for 7 days, to having a very light (hardly there) period every 3 months. It also managed to clear up the cystic acne that came along with it. My only issue with it was that for the first month or two on the pill, I did have some spotting and bleeding, but it quickly went away, and haven't had any bleeding since then. Other than that I haven't experienced any other symptoms, and I highly recommend Seasonale!"

Briannaleslie (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started taking these pills January 12,2017 bc I didn't won't to deal with having a period anymore...the worst mistake do not take! My hormones are jacked up. I'm am very moody my appetite is crazy I have gain 10 pounds and also I been bleeding for 3 weeks straight. My Dr told me to continue to take but I will not take this med - he even tried change the dosage and give me some menopause meds. I said I'm not taking any of that meds it had me so messed up bad. I'm am bleeding so much from my uterus. They are recommending that I have Nova Sure surgery done. I will keep u post but beware this birth control is not good at all these. reviews are truth."

KatrinaT34 February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Love this! I have been on this pill for years now and it is amazing. I use to have heavy bleeding and horrible cramps and this pill has stopped it for me. Due to being anemic and having endometriosis I am set to have my period every 6 months and I never spot in between. This pill is definitely for people who's body can handle going long terms with out a menstrual period. And you have to follow directions, taking the pill the same exact time every day and never missing a pill. Its the only way it will work properly"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I wish I would have read these comments prior to me starting this pill. THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!! I have been bleeding and passing EXTREMELY LARGE blood clots for 13 days. It started 2 days into my second pack. The pain is severe almost mirroring labor pains with abdominal contractions everytime I pass a clot. I stopped the pill and bleeding continues to get worse. Avoid this pill like the plague!!"

Disappointed x infinity February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "So I've wanted to be on BC pills for the longest just for menstrual cramps. My pcp said this would be great. I've been constantly sad, and extremely tired. No matter how much sleep I get it's never enough. I always have itching in my private area and it never seems to go away to the point where it breaks open and seeps blood. Also the non stop spotting is crazy to deal with. I've been spotting for literally a month. I know spotting is definitely expected but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I definitely want to be off of this pill and it's only been a month literally ! I rather take a Motrin 800 mg pill to deal with my cramps than to deal with this mess. It's so NOT worth it."

Thisnurse February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Lutera for almost 4 years prior to it being discontinued. It worked great from the get-go. However, once discontinued, I was given orsythia in replacement. It was horrible, I had awful acne (after never really having acne problems other than an occasion pimple), it made me irritable, I had very heavy bleeding, and I was contstantly tired. Then I got a 3 month supply through express scripts for convenience. I was given the literal generic, no name. It has been the worst. Dark stringy discharge for a week, dizzy, anxiety is through the roof, stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. Called my doctor and waiting to hear back.... awful experience..."

Sarahnicole93 January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been taking this medicine for almost 3 months now and during this last month of the pills I have been spotting/light bleeding for a month. I took other pills before and it did not happen. I will be stopping this when I am done with this pack."

Chgdhsjkakaka January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "My GP recommended Seasonique because I was anemic and experiencing very heavy blood flow each month. In the year that I took this medication, I felt depressed and even suicidal at the beginning; gained weight as expected and had a hard time losing weight while on it. At the end of the first 3 months, the flow was heavy for 8 days! I kept with it in spite of menstrual cramps, higher appetite, heavy bleeding when I had my period and really annoying mood swings. After one year I decided to stop because it's easier to take iron supplements than take this pill. With 2 children and at peri-menopause age, I wouldn't recommend this product to any woman at any stage of life. Too unpredictable and not worth the unseen side effects."

Crys01 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Start taking the medication to stop it. But it never did I've been on the pill for 2 weeks now and it seem like I'm bleeding more than when I was not on the pill having huge blood clots and bleeding uncontrollably calling doctor in the morning to see what I can do"

Tia w. (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016