User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Also known as: Aviane, Vienva, Kurvelo, Lutera, Seasonique, Portia, Twirla, Seasonale, Lessina, Larissia, Altavera, Levora, Marlissa, Balcoltra, Sronyx, Chateal, Camrese, Amethia, Levlen, Amethyst, Introvale, Falmina, Aubra EQ, Setlakin, Ashlyna, Jolessa, Orsythia, Daysee, Simpesse, Rivelsa, LoSeasonique, Jaimiess, CamreseLo, Iclevia, Quartette, LoJaimiess, Trivora, Enpresse, Aubra, Ayuna, Lo Simpesse, Levonest, Fayosim Cerinta Afirmelle Elifemme Dolishale Sylevia Amethia Lo Myzilra Delyla Tyblume Chateal EQ Lillow …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel has an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 from a total of 239 ratings for the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. 26% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

4.2/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Shannon April 22, 2020

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “My doctor recommended this birth control pill (Levlen) to me because of my heavy cramping and acne (46 years old). I am on my 5th pack of this pill. If I had read the reviews before I started, I probably never would’ve started. So my advice to people is every pill is going to work differently for each person, so try what your doctor recommends. This pill has changed my life, my periods were so heavy that it caused me to be dangerously anemic. I got anxious during my cycle because they were so heavy, that I couldn’t go an hour without having to change my pad AND tampon. Now my periods are super light, and last only about two days and I no longer have cramping. I’ve had acne my entire life up until 4 months ago, I hardly break out at all, my skin looks great and I’m no longer getting the hormonal cystic acne on my chin that I would get monthly!! I have gained about 6 pounds. But I can’t necessarily say it’s from the pill. I hope you all find what works for you!! Good luck ladies!!”

Sad:( · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2020

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I’ve been taking seasonique for almost 2 months. I’d heard that it would allow me to skip periods which I desperately needed because my periods were so severe. Completely unbearable cramps, nausea, fatigue, heavy flow, etc. About 3 weeks ago I started having horrible cramps and bleeding and it has not stopped for one day since. I have literally been on my period for 3 weeks! I would have been better off not taking it at all. At least this pain would only last a week or so. I’ve also had some weight gain without changing my diet so I feel like it’s another side effect of this birth control. I had such high hopes for it but sadly, it kind of sucks.”

Naina · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 16, 2020

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I had painful periods my whole life and for about 11 years, I went from doctor to doctor trying different pain medications , herbal medicines and undertaking multiple ultrasounds in the hopes of detecting endometriosis. Finally, one good doctor suggested going on birth control before doing my endo surgery. I was extremely hesitant at first and scared but I gave it a go and do not regret it since. With LEVLEN ED, I have had no acne, no weight gain, no painful periods, no problems what so ever. It felt almost like a magical potion I had taken. I was hesitant to initially take it as I read some bad reviews online but this was my wonder drug and I had to review it.”

KJA · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I'm peri-menopausal and have not been on any birthcontrol for 20+years. All of a sudden my periods became so heavy for the full 5 days that I felt disgusting. My periods were also coming on sporadically every 2-3 weeks. My doc was reluctant to prescribe bc pills because of my age (46) but I basically begged lol so she started me on Lessina low dose. I saw instant improvement my 1st month with my period being much lighter. I just finished my 3rd pack and I couldn't be happier! I'm back to a 28 day cycle and its so light! I went from flowing through super plus tampons every 2 hours to barely needing a regular on my heaviest day! No side effects at all.”

bncj4477 · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 3, 2020

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I am shocked at how many bad reviews this BC has!! I was on this pill for around 5 years, and recently got off due to getting migraines with aura, and now am switching to an IUD because it has no estrogen. However my time on this pill was great. everyone’s body is different but when I got put on this I had little to no spotting- it was so nice only getting a period 4x a year as someone who suffers from heavy bleeding/ cramps. For people who are worried / experiencing spotting, give your body a chance to get used to it! You aren't bleeding for 3 months straight so it’s normal to get a little bit of spotting as you are approaching the placebo week. The only cons I would give this BC is the fact that I did get migraines on it, it definitely made me a little more emotional (but any BC will) and I did notice a little thinning of my hair. However I never got pregnant, boobs grew a size, didn’t gain any weight, and it improved my period significantly. Don’t believe hype on this site!”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 23, 2013

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been on birth control for 9 years for heavy/too frequent periods. For the first 6 years, Seasonique was amazing. However, especially within the past two years, I have had excessive spotting. For awhile, I was on the generic and just thought there was a difference between that and the name brand. Initially I had no problems, but I started a doctorate program and am sure the stress has a lot to do with it, but my spotting has started again. It'll happen any time I stress out or after having sex. I like not having my period for 3 months but now, im on my period more than a normal bc. Except it's worse. It comes unannounced and has ruined a number of undergarments.”

EClass · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 26, 2013

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been on Seasonique for over 6 months. I have had continuous spotting along with cramps for the last 16 days. My doctor informed me to skip the pills at the end of the pack so that I do not have any periods due to my periods being extremely painful. However, I hate the fact that I have been spotting for over 2 weeks. I started this birth control to treat endometriosis and to regulate my periods. Yet, spotting every day is not any better. I am looking into other options right now. I don't like bleeding all the time.”

Brittany · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2018

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “This birth control has literally ruined the past few months of my life. Not only have I gained almost ten pounds, about a week after I started taking it I started bleeding. I have since been bleeding and today is day number 16. I have the worst cramps, headaches, and heavy flow that I have had in YEARS! Not only does it keep happening, I am clotting... and the blood looks horrible. I also developed a rash on my legs, and my doctor told me to keep taking it! I will absolutely NOT keep taking these pills.”

Unhappy mom March 19, 2021

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Pluses: clear skin, no mood swings or headaches. BUT, at 1st I spotted everyday for months. Light enough for a pantyliner. My period stopped for a while, went fine. Then, with no warning, I would have GIGANTIC clots & blood gushing when I stood up. Then later on in the day & the next day...nothing. Happened a few times. Last straw: family goes to Disneyworld for the 1st time. 2nd day I’m walking around the park then stand up, start gushing blood. I spend the whole time afraid to stand because I’m going thru a tampon & pad every hour. Next day nothing. 4th day at Disney, same heavy gushing & clotting. Airport gushing. Arrive home, bleeding lightens. Then I stand up, heaviest bleeding EVER! Soaked thru a super tampon, pad, my underwear, pants were soaked with blood & it stained my bed. I am 39 YO & this didn’t happen before Jolessa. I had heavy periods but not random hemorrhaging in between cycles. I have stopped this BC & my provider is trying me on something different!”

FemInPA · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started to take the Seasonique as directed and did not make it past 10 days. My period which normally lasted 5 days is still going on for 3 weeks!!! I stopped on day 10 because the bleeding was awful. The point to take was to have less period, not to bleed everyday. 3 days after taking it and I have never bled so heavy in all my 34 years of having a period. This stuff is awful!”

June56 February 2, 2018

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Worst decision of my life was to start this birth control. After just 5 weeks of being on it. I started spotting, then it moved into full blown heavy period. With the worst cramps I’ve ever experienced in my life! I would be changing my pad every hour along with taking pain medicine to try and help with cramping but even that didn’t help. I was in so much pain I was calling in to not go to work which I have worked for over 35 years and never call in sick. Starting this birth-control has messed with my life physically and emotionally the past month and a half that I’ve been on this so I stopped taking the pill and my symptoms have been getting worse. I talked my doctor and she said to just stay on the pill. I refuse to continue to take it I’m just praying that the symptoms will go away as soon as the hormones withdrawals from my body. I took this birth control to help not get my period and it’s only been the opposite and a nightmare if symptoms since taking it.”

7 days vs 30 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2020

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Alesse was the first birth control I ever took. I was 18 and had been having horrible periods. Constant, painful cramps and heavy flow. My gynecologist suggested Alesse to make my period lighter. I bled for over a month!!! Not spotting. Full on heavy bleeding with horrible cramps. I eventually stopped and decided to deal with my period. At least I knew when it would end.”

Gin · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2019

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I always had heavy unpredictable periods and hated it. After spending two months straight bleeding an extremely heavy, clotting flow I asked my doctor about alternatives and she recommended taking birth control pills without the weekly break. I started on a different medication but switched to this one because insurance covers it at no cost to me. I haven't had a period in over 10 years and I've never been happier.”

Disappointed x infinity February 17, 2017

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I wish I would have read these comments prior to me starting this pill. THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!! I have been bleeding and passing EXTREMELY LARGE blood clots for 13 days. It started 2 days into my second pack. The pain is severe almost mirroring labor pains with abdominal contractions everytime I pass a clot. I stopped the pill and bleeding continues to get worse. Avoid this pill like the plague!!”

Royalq October 31, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've been on the pill for a little over a month and I'm stopping. I'm extremely anemic and I asked my doc for this to help with my periods. They were getting increasingly heavy and painful and making my anemia worse. I started taking the generic of this pill and in 1 month gained 10 pounds. Then I started spotting and got a full blown period month 1. This period is heavier than normal and has zapped me of all my energy. It has lasted 7 days of constant normal to heavy bleeding that doesn't seem like its going to stop. The blood is still fresh bright red so it doesn't looking like its stopping soon. Also this week of bleeding has made me extremely emotional. I almost quit my job! I feel very angry, irritated, annoyed, depressed.”

PainfulPeriods · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2020

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I took this med for about a week and a half. The first few days, pleasantly, no side effects. Then I started having the worst insomnia, vivid nightmares, and a deep-bone back pain/body aches every night. Fast forward to days 7-9, I still had all of the above, plus acne, panic attacks, racing thoughts, stomach cramps, diarrhea, depression, and hot flashes. At this point, I would rather have heavy, painful, periods! I am an attorney and cannot function like this.”

jas August 29, 2018

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Been on seasonique for just over 2 years. While getting periods only four times a year is great, its never been a true reality for me. Out of the three months that are within a pack, the first two are great, but every time I hit the third month I start spotting. But not even just a regular little bit of brown discharge. It starts like that for a few days and about a week or so into that 3rd month I begin getting very large clots. It resembles a light period almost, as if my entire uterine lining comes out in these clots. This lasts for a few weeks, all the way up until my last week of pills... which is when I'm supposed to get my period, which I don’t because I lost all the blood in the 2-3 weeks prior to that. This medication has also made me gradually gain 20 pounds since I first began it. I cannot wait until I get off this pill. 2 more weeks and then I will not be getting a refill. I have had a enough. Do not recommend this medication.”

38 year old · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I wanted to try seasonique for the 4 periods a year. On my 1st month I started bleeding on the 3 week and still bleeding 3 weeks later. The bleeding is really annoying and doesn't seem to be letting up. It's thicker consistency and small clots. I will give this a little more time but so far I'm not happy at all!! After reading other comments it seems more bleeding is expected then what's advertised! :(”

Kanela October 23, 2019

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Hi everyone! I am on my 2nd pack Aviane and will be starting on the sugar pills tonight. I love this pill! I do not have as much side effects as how I used to have with other pills. I had a few headaches and some nausea on my first month of using this but those are gone now. No breast tenderness, no noticeable weight gain although I have increased appetite but I try to balance it with a healthy diet and exercise at least 3 times a week. My previous one (Sprintec) caused me to spot and I was having a period for 3 weeks straight. On Aviane, I have no spotting and my periods last for only 7 days and light. I used to have really heavy bleeding which caused my iron levels to be depleted. I develop pimples here and there but they are manageable I do not have any mood swings on this pill and that is just wonderful. I just feel happy everyday! Aviane is a game changer for me and I am so glad that I found it :)”

Spotty LaUrA · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I loved the thought of not having a period EVERY month, as advertised. It worked great for 6 & 1/2 years. Light spotting when I started back then, and lighter periods and not buying so many tampons was very nice! I got off the pill for 6 months (for financial reasons.) Decided to go back on it, and now I'm in month two and on my 11th day bleeding. Started as spotting, then got heavier each day after, & minor clotting. I saw dark brown blood on day 9 of bleeding, thought it was ending, finally, then next day...BAM, back to bright red bleeding again, & HORRIBLE cramping to go with it! I'm a mess emotionally. It's like PmS, but not going away once the period starts. I think it's turned on me. Time for a switch! I can't affOrd ALL these pads”

KatrinaT34 February 24, 2017

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started taking these pills January 12,2017 bc I didn't won't to deal with having a period anymore...the worst mistake do not take! My hormones are jacked up. I'm am very moody my appetite is crazy I have gain 10 pounds and also I been bleeding for 3 weeks straight. My Dr told me to continue to take but I will not take this med - he even tried change the dosage and give me some menopause meds. I said I'm not taking any of that meds it had me so messed up bad. I'm am bleeding so much from my uterus. They are recommending that I have Nova Sure surgery done. I will keep u post but beware this birth control is not good at all these. reviews are truth.”

New Jersey45 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2017

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “This birth-control is the worst! If you were OK with having consistent bleeding for over a month, then this is for you. If not, try something else because this is not worth it. I am now on week eight and still bleeding/spotting. I wish I would’ve read the reviews before starting this prescription. I hate it. If I could rate it a zero, I would.”

Loucks2 December 1, 2010

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “After reading all the horrible comments on sites about this medication, I thought I would add my positive ones. I have been on it a little over 4 months now. As of the 4th month, I stopped all bleeding. Very few side effects at first, maybe being tired (I was anemic too), a little nausea and cramps right at first, but getting past all that, the bleeding finally stopped. This is a wonderful medication. Don't let the negative comments impact you. Each of us react differently. I have fibroids and the bleeding was very bad. They didn't know if this would help or not, worth the shot. Glad it is so far. Just don't give up at first even if you want to. Give it at least until the 4th month for your body to adjust.”

jemmyb · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2019

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Have had a period with cramps since Sept 2019. started Seasonique to try to get rid of my abnormal bleeding, I had heavy periods, migraines, nausea and cramps prior to starting and weeks of spotting. Now I'm on my 46th pill of Seasonique and am STILL moderate bleeding must wear tampons or pads daily since Sept, and I have nausea, upset bowels, and horrible cramps sometimes I can't even stand up. My doctor said to keep taking it and finish the pack and it will get better. WILL IT? I have not stopped bleeding for months and its so difficult to explain to a spouse why I feel sick and am STILL also bleeding.”

Anonymous November 2, 2009

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I am on my second, three month pack of LoSeasonique and I am seriously contemplating stopping the birth control. My first three month pack, around week six I started bleeding. This lasted about a week and I thought my body was adjusting. Since then my face has broken out - I have never had acne problems. I am now on week four of my second cycle of pills, and I am now bleeding lightly again. I am experiencing the worst cramps I have ever had in my life. All I do is sleep, and I am still exhausted all the time. I can't even get myself to do normal activities like grocery shopping.”

Learn more about Abnormal Uterine Bleeding