User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel to treat Endometriosis

Also known as: Vienva, Lutera, Aviane, Seasonique, Levora, Jolessa, Sronyx, Larissia, Altavera, Ashlyna, Kurvelo, Lessina, Balcoltra, Twirla, Seasonale, Portia, Levlen, Orsythia, Setlakin, Falmina, Camrese, Amethyst, Enpresse, Marlissa, Daysee, Simpesse, Aubra EQ, Amethia, LoSeasonique, Introvale, Trivora, Iclevia, LoJaimiess, Chateal, Lillow, Rivelsa, Dolishale, Amethia Lo, CamreseLo, Chateal EQ, Aubra, Quartette Ayuna Lo Simpesse Levonest Fayosim Cerinta Jaimiess Afirmelle Elifemme Sylevia Myzilra Delyla Tyblume …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 101 ratings for the treatment of Endometriosis. 41% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Steph · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2020

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Started taking this pill Levlen continuously (no sugar pills) 3 months ago. I gained 15 pounds, I have no sex drive, leg cramping, higher blood pressure, anxiety, cramps, back pain and spotting. This pill sucks! Just stopped taking it and hope to feel like myself again soon.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2020

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Levlen is the WORST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME! I was on Norimin-1 but as a result of Covid they were unable to import the ingredients for it, my doctor then switched me to Levlen... worst thing ever, after 3 weeks of use I had severe hormonal acne all along my jawline. The pressure from the acne hurts my face (I’ve never ever had any issues with my skin) I thought this may be just because of a hormonal change from trying a new pill. After 3 months it became worse and worse. Never have I had severe head aches but daily I now have severe head aches that come out of no where. I have severe depression now from this pill, my mood swings are absolutely insane”

cramp free! August 2, 2010

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've now been using Seasonique for a year and I've been completely happy and unbelievably satisfied with this product. I have endometriosis so when my period came before I was on birth control it was dreadfully painful for the three to five days while I was on my period. I tried Yaz and it only made my periods regular, then I tried NuvaRing and that actually made my cramps worse and lasted for an entire week. After that I did tons of research and decided to try Seasonique. And for the past year I have only had maybe 2 hours worth of cramps the entire time. During the second refill I only blotted a little, but overall every symptom that follows endometriosis has disappeared! I highly recommend Seasonique. It's fantastic!”

Castledream · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2019

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Within 2 days of starting this started having really dark thoughts about life, not wanting to be here, everything was boring. I went on sugar pills felt great, positive happy thought it might have been coming off last pill Chelsea 35 that was making my mood change, then 2nd day back on Levlen same thing with the depression and really dark thoughts, stopped after day 6 and have returned to my happy self again. Don't follow Drs instructions if you know its not good for you, then stop it - there is always another option”

Anonymous December 13, 2010

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was first given this birth control when I lived in the UK (under the name of Microgynon 30) for my severe Endometriosis. I take a pill every night and do not take any inactive pills for the week you usually have your period. Since I take Levlen everynight, I have stopped my period and no longer have one. Bliss! I have no more Endo pain or any associated side effects. Even though I have been thrown into "medically controlled menopause", I have no menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness and so on. For the first two months I had break through bleeding, but now going on 2 years I have none. I have had a wonderful experience with this birth control and it has completely made my Endometriosis symptoms disappear.”

Kris9999 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 21, 2012

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started on Jolessa after surgery for endometriosis and have absolutely no complaints. My doctor has me taking two packs continuously without taking the placebos and it has done wonders in the area of pain. I've maintained the same weight, my breasts grew a cup size and I've had no spotting. I completely recommend this to anyone!”

Anonymous July 9, 2012

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started taking this medication for endometriosis as a last option before surgery. While I have only been on this medication for a little under three months I must say I'm so impressed. After reading reviews I was a little nervous. I have had very little pain and my menstrual cramping is completely gone almost. I haven't had any spotting or hair loss! It does not make me sick and very little breast soreness. When compared to other medicines I have taken, this is like a Godsend. While I know this will not take care of my problems forever it is working wonders right now! Everyone reacts to medicines differently and I just had to share my experience to tell everyone how wonderful this one is if you are considering taking it.”

Blyr February 28, 2014

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've been on this for almost 5 years and I love it, in the last two years I've actually lost weight, my skin which used to be horrible with acne is nice and clear. The first few months were kind of rough, as it is when starting any birth control. The only downfall would be how sensitive my breasts can get when it's cold. Almost painful at times, but it's definitely eased over the years.”

Tonya · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 12, 2020

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “The first 3 months on Portia I had water retention, low appetite, nausea and lost some weight. But the pill immediately stopped my period. I am taking Portia for Endo. I've been taking it for close to a year and it works great! It keeps all of the symptoms away and I have had no acne or major weight gain.”

collegegirl123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2012

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have struggled with endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome- so being put on the pill wasn't much of an option for me, I needed something to control the unbearable pain for it was really limiting my life. Since I began Seasonique over a month ago- I have had painful stomach aches that seem to be worst for the first few hours after I wake up. My emotions have been off the wall, everything is making me cry- I am easily agitated, and haven't felt like myself. I don't feel depressed- just irritated and emotional most days. I think the worst side effect has been the explosive diarrhea that sneaks up on me- embarrassing. This has never happened to me before, and now it's at least once a day an urgent run to the bathroom is needed.”

Anonymous October 30, 2008

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I used to have such severe cramps that I would occasionally vomit or be completely incapacitated for the first few days. I tried so many different things to help, and was skeptical about Aviane, but not anymore. It worked. While I still experience a little pain on the first day of my period, it's nothing compared to before Aviane. I am continually impressed.”

Jeanette · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “My endometriosis was diagnosed 2 years ago. 1 year ago, I started experiencing pain during my ovulation too. My doctor recommended Aviane because has few side effects. The first weeks I experienced mild headaches and nausea but the symptoms didn't bother me. I'm regular but I didn't have my period during the 1st month of taking the pill. My doctor's recommendation, I would only take hormones and not the placebo pills at all over for 3 months. After a few weeks, my period came, more days than usual with a lot of pain. It wasn't abundant but it wasn't spotting either. The pain during ovulation was not reduced, the headaches are the worst and the breast pain is bad. I have mood swings, not depressing (anger episodes) and I had a vaginal worst infection ever, something very strange for me. With this coronavirus around, I was unable to see my doctor. I decided to stop taking the pills, in my case the pain is worse than before. Maybe, pills needs more time to adjust, but not thanks.”

Anonymous April 2, 2012

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have a condition called endometrial hyperplasia. Basically, my uterus is thick, my uterine cells produce quickly and cause pain that feeds into my muscle cells during menstruation. I have had two children and constant pain during my cycles. My OB suggested Seasonique to get rid of my cycle and end my pain. After a while my abdominal pain is TOTALLY gone. I also have a much more stable mood. Once you get through one full cycle the spotting decreases and things level out. I suggest not stopping until you have tried it for at least 3-6 months.”

rainstained · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2013

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I suffered from Endometriosis for 5 years or more. I was in my early 20s when I began to be unable to so much as get up from the bed. I was sick to my stomach all the time & in constant pain. I was perscribed a great deal of pain medicines & shots. I went to a different hospital one night & they got me into surgery a week later or so found out mine was Stage 4 (my organs were attached to the left side of my body squeezing my organs with the scar tissue) the surgery took hours. Then I got Lupron shot for 7 months and then was put on Aviane. I had a little breakthrough bleeding at first but the massive pain stopped after I was on the Aviane and Lupron treatment path. Aviane is great but it must be taken at the same time everyday. Thanks”

Rev1 November 24, 2009

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been taking this for almost 2 years and I can tell you I feel like it has been a miracle drug with all the side effects of endometriosis. Although you have to take a pill each night, who cares when you have 1 period to get through over 3 months and on top of that its short and usually pain free. The excess bleeding, the long periods, unpredictable start and stop...that's all over with this birth control. I really feel like I gained at least 2 days out of every month that I had once lost to bed rest from the agony of endometriosis. I love it and wish I had heard of it sooner. I highly recommend it. Be sure to always ask how it will interact with any other drugs that may be in your system. Always consult a doctor on change in medication.”

Beep · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2020

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was on the Seasonique pill for about a year. I would not consider myself someone with depression, but I do go through bouts of sadness like everyone. Seasonique caused me to become horribly, horribly depressed. I would lay in bed and stare at the wall for hours. I couldn't will myself to get up at all. I started having extremely bad suicidal ideations that I couldn't snap myself out of. The final straw for me was during the off time of the pills where you get your period. I passed a blood clot the size of my fist. It was extremely painful and I almost passed out. I have never, ever experienced this before, and never experienced it again after I got off Seasonique.”

Anonymous May 17, 2010

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've been on Seasonique for a few years and I love it. Only four periods a year and they are much lighter. I do have some spotting in between periods but only four periods a year, out weighs the occasional spotting. It has really helped me with my endometriosis. I rarely experience symptoms from the endometriosis and when I do they are usually milder. I would recommend Seasonique to everyone!”

Anonymous October 24, 2010

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've been on LoSeasonique for 2 sets (6 months). I've seen no weight gain, no changes in my skin, and my hair is as thick as ever. I like it, I went off of LoEstrin because I had bad cramps that got worse when I went off it for a year, and pelvic pain (caused by cysts). SO, this birth control certainly assisted with alleviating these issues. It's helpful though to exercise regularly I think. I've had spotting but its nothing compared to my normal heavy periods. I am questioning what other benefits this pill may hold over others. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “When I was 22 I found out I had endometriosis and my doctor recommended this to regulate my periods. I was giving samples since I didn't have any insurance I took it for two years until they no longer had anymore sample and I still didn't have any insurance and was unable to pay for it. I absolutely loved being on this it was so nice having a period that only lasted three days and only four periods a year. Yes when u first start taking it u do have some breakthrough bleeding which is annoying but stick with it because once ur over that is great. Now I'm back on it and my periods last a max of two days. I love it and so much less pain from endometriosis”

Harderwifey · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2017

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “First 2 months of taking it I didn't stop bleeding, gained 10 lb (been 125 lbs for the past 10 years) got zits! (Maybe had 5 zits in my whole life) then started this pill and I'm a bloated, bloody, zitty beast! I through the pills in the trash today. Enough is enough! Horrible medication”

mostlycloudy March 17, 2011

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started this pill in September 2010, to help treat ovarian cysts and endometriosis. The first week I had nausea and tender breasts, but it went away after that. I had a lot of spotting/bleeding on and off for 2 or 3 weeks at a time for 4 months. It was annoying but better than the awful agony I used to go through every month so I decided to keep taking it, as my doctor told me that spotting/bleeding is very common with this low of a dose of pill, and that some people needed 3 months to a year for your body to adjust. Well, finally after 6 months it was worth the wait because, no more spotting/bleeding and best I have better energy/vitality/ and quality of life having control over my horrible periods. It has changed my life!”

Anonymous August 5, 2010

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I am in my third month of taking this, and absolutely love it. The first two weeks I had headaches and slight nausea, so I switched taking it at night. So if you try this don't give up, it went away for me. I don't have mood swings, which I did before taking. I don't feel like I get bloated either. I've had some slight bleeding at the end of my second month, but doctor said that was normal that my body has to get used to the pill. Love the fact I don't have heavy periods anymore. I would recommend it. Looking forward to not having a period every month. My mood is stable and I feel happy. As far as acne goes, I can say it's not giving me any problems.”

antoniac · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 14, 2020

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started this pill as I was told I had endometriosis and this would help with the pain. For the first few months it was great and helped with my pain. About 4 months in I was told I have dermatitis on my face. This has lasted nearly 2 years now. !! It’s horrible and I rely on steroid creams to control the flare ups. I’ve also realised I'm angry and moody for no reason at all. I’ve just started to break out around my mouth and chin area which I never had before. I gained 10kg in the first year and now I fluctuate but all up I’ve gained 14kg. Will definitely be changing”

Leah · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 17, 2019

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I took Lutera for a year from sophomore year to junior year back in high school. It was prescribed to me because endometriosis runs in my family and I was starting to show symptoms and missed school 2-3 days a month due to cramps. First month was fine, but then I began to have 2 periods a cycle. I had no problems with acne besides when I was in 6th grade and had my first period, but I began to develop severely painful cystic acne all over my face. I began starting actual physical fights with people, something I had never done before, as I’m a very calm person. I came to realize all the drastic changes that had happened in that year of use, so I switched birth controls and I’ve felt like my normal self ever since. Ladies, PLEASE take action if you don’t begin to feel like yourself! I know a lot of others that have experienced the same thing, and I advise extreme bodily awareness while taking this.”

LadyBee1 January 28, 2011

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I took Seasonique for only two weeks, but I quit because of the severe and immediate mood changes I experienced while on it. I have an anxiety disorder, and when I started taking Seasonique, I started feeling more irritated/anxious. After that, my mood plummeted into a depression. I felt like crying or screaming all the time. I also developed acne, breast tenderness, and extreme bloating. When I stopped the pill, I started a period even though I had a period two weeks prior. When I stopped taking Seasonique, my mood improved. I have taken the pill before and never had this reaction. I am now going to get the Mirena IUD to treat my endometriosis/adenomyosis.”

Learn more about Endometriosis