User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Endometriosis

Also known as: Seasonique, Aviane, Lutera, Ashlyna, Trivora, Lessina, Portia, Marlissa, Camrese, Balcoltra, Introvale, Seasonale, Levora, Sronyx, Amethyst, Vienva, Kurvelo, Larissia, Orsythia, Aubra EQ, Lillow, Daysee, Falmina, LoSeasonique, Jolessa, Enpresse, Twirla, Aubra, Amethia, Altavera, Afirmelle, Sylevia, Chateal, CamreseLo, Delyla, Rivelsa, Quartette, Simpesse, Ayuna, Lo Simpesse, Levonest, Fayosim, Cerinta, Jaimiess Elifemme Amethia Lo Myzilra Levlen Iclevia Chateal EQ Setlakin …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

Beep · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2020

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was on the Seasonique pill for about a year. I would not consider myself someone with depression, but I do go through bouts of sadness like everyone. Seasonique caused me to become horribly, horribly depressed. I would lay in bed and stare at the wall for hours. I couldn't will myself to get up at all. I started having extremely bad suicidal ideations that I couldn't snap myself out of. The final straw for me was during the off time of the pills where you get your period. I passed a blood clot the size of my fist. It was extremely painful and I almost passed out. I have never, ever experienced this before, and never experienced it again after I got off Seasonique.”

Pusheen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 8, 2020

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was prescribed this as a budget friendly (no insurance, with good rx you can get it for $14) birth control. I've been on it for around 7 months now, and so far I've had more good than bad. Its helped regulate and shorten my period, while also almost eliminating my cramps. Before I was on it I used to be bed bound for the first and last day of my period. I've lost a ton of weight on this pill, but mostly because it almost eliminated my appetite. The worst thing is the god awful hot flashes. Constantly through the day I have them and terrible night sweats that wake me up in the middle of the night, I'm in my early 20s and have never had this issue before. I deal with BPD and depression but haven't noticed a change in my stability like others have. All together I wouldn't recommend, but its also not the worst I've taken.”

Jeanette · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “My endometriosis was diagnosed 2 years ago. 1 year ago, I started experiencing pain during my ovulation too. My doctor recommended Aviane because has few side effects. The first weeks I experienced mild headaches and nausea but the symptoms didn't bother me. I'm regular but I didn't have my period during the 1st month of taking the pill. My doctor's recommendation, I would only take hormones and not the placebo pills at all over for 3 months. After a few weeks, my period came, more days than usual with a lot of pain. It wasn't abundant but it wasn't spotting either. The pain during ovulation was not reduced, the headaches are the worst and the breast pain is bad. I have mood swings, not depressing (anger episodes) and I had a vaginal worst infection ever, something very strange for me. With this coronavirus around, I was unable to see my doctor. I decided to stop taking the pills, in my case the pain is worse than before. Maybe, pills needs more time to adjust, but not thanks.”

racecardrivergirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2020

Trivora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started taking this birth control when I was 17 and it really changed my life. Before I started taking it I had horrible cramps right when my period started that would keep my in bed. I also had horrible PMS and would gain so much water weight before my period (up to five pounds). My PMS would also last up to week. I think it did an excellent job of leveling out my hormones throughout the month. Although I did still have minor PMS symptoms they were not nearly as bad as before I started the pill. Anyways, I recently had to go off the Trivora because I have been experiencing minor hive breakouts in the week leading up to my period, (so the doctors are trying to figure out if it has to do with the pill, or if another pill would help me more with this). However, we have not figured it out yet. If I can't find another pill that works for me I would definitely consider going back on Trivora again.”

antoniac · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 14, 2020

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I started this pill as I was told I had endometriosis and this would help with the pain. For the first few months it was great and helped with my pain. About 4 months in I was told I have dermatitis on my face. This has lasted nearly 2 years now. !! It’s horrible and I rely on steroid creams to control the flare ups. I’ve also realised I'm angry and moody for no reason at all. I’ve just started to break out around my mouth and chin area which I never had before. I gained 10kg in the first year and now I fluctuate but all up I’ve gained 14kg. Will definitely be changing”

Mo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Began July 2019 for SEVERE period pains. My period was always 4 days and very regular. But my first day of bleeding came with severe cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, and pain in my rectum. I could not do anything for 18-22 hours. I decided to try birth control. PP gave me a free year supply of Chateal. No mood swings or depression and my skin is beautiful. And my cramps - GONE! I am taking the pills non-stop because I'm terrified of cramps returning. One con - I have not stopped bleeding since I began. But, the last two months have only been spotting. In the first few months I did experience minimal cramping and heavier bleeding....but I could still walk talk and work finally! This has been life changing. I may get a cramp here or there but NOTHING like before. I'm going to talk to my doc about doing the 7 day placebo pills to see if I can stop this spotting. I'm not having sex so I really don't care. Give it a try if your cramps are debilitating.”

Adriana · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 23, 2019

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Been on Aleese for 3 years, have a bit more acne but no hair loss. I’ve had a really good experience, no spotting if I take it properly and at the same time everyday, was only ever nauseous the first 3 days on it ever, know a lot of people on this pill this have had pretty good experiences!”

Dexterreal · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2019

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Changed to the lower dose form of Levlen after experiencing anxiety attacks from Yasmin. Just 2 months into the pill, anxiety has gone out of control, blood pressure was raised tremendously and had to be put on antidepressant to counteract the effects. Think twice before starting a pil.”

Anita August 18, 2019

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I would never recommend Portia. I was switched from Levora to Portia after Kaiser said they didn’t have Levora anymore. The first week I started taking Portia I started to notice I was very depressed and anxious. As week two came around it only got worst. To the point where I wasn’t able to eat because of my anxiety and ended up in the hospital. I have since stopped Portia and have felt a little more normal. I would not recommend Portia to anyone because it seems like a lot of people have the same side effect depression and anxiety.”

Castledream · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2019

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Within 2 days of starting this started having really dark thoughts about life, not wanting to be here, everything was boring. I went on sugar pills felt great, positive happy thought it might have been coming off last pill Chelsea 35 that was making my mood change, then 2nd day back on Levlen same thing with the depression and really dark thoughts, stopped after day 6 and have returned to my happy self again. Don't follow Drs instructions if you know its not good for you, then stop it - there is always another option”

Rach · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 22, 2019

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I’ve been on Levora for over 4 years let me tell you it works as a great birth control but the side affects are insane. I was 130 lbs when I started I now weigh 180.. yes some of it is due to being out of my teen years however 10 of those lbs hangs off my chest.. I’ve always been bustier (C/D cup) I’m now on my way to G cup. I’m only 5’4 so this is very uncomfortable. I look very heavy, my legs are big now yet I am actually eating better then when I started taking it. My face and stomach are always puffy and bloated the only time it’s flat is right off of my period and not taking the pills for 7 days. I have had to get a script for Xanax because of my severe anxiety that has started. I didn’t think a pill could cause all of this but it’s getting worse. I have no sex drive ever and my cramps are still painful. I will be going off of it starting tomorrow and I will be tracking how my body changes for the next 6 months.”

Turtle2016 · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “My doctor prescribed Lessina for potential endometriosis. I requested a low dose, older generation birth control, since I've never taken any before. This worked OK, I suppose. I only was able to take a little over two weeks worth before finally having to call it quits. I was about halfway through my last active row when I stopped. The pros: It seemed to help my moods level out and I was generally in a better mood than usual. I did not get headaches, nausea or acne from this pill. The cons: Oh, the anxiety was awful and one of the main reasons why I gave up. It made me so jittery every day to the point where I felt like always panicking. I also had unusual aches in my arms and legs while taking this. It felt like I had been working out more. Lastly, I had pretty bad joint pain and general stiffness while on this pill. I know everyone is different, so I'm glad that this pill works for a lot of people. I just wish it would have worked better for me.”

Leah · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 17, 2019

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I took Lutera for a year from sophomore year to junior year back in high school. It was prescribed to me because endometriosis runs in my family and I was starting to show symptoms and missed school 2-3 days a month due to cramps. First month was fine, but then I began to have 2 periods a cycle. I had no problems with acne besides when I was in 6th grade and had my first period, but I began to develop severely painful cystic acne all over my face. I began starting actual physical fights with people, something I had never done before, as I’m a very calm person. I came to realize all the drastic changes that had happened in that year of use, so I switched birth controls and I’ve felt like my normal self ever since. Ladies, PLEASE take action if you don’t begin to feel like yourself! I know a lot of others that have experienced the same thing, and I advise extreme bodily awareness while taking this.”

Claire · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2019

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “On Chateal for endometriosis and my sex drive disappeared, my acne EXPLODED, and I normally have clear skin, I have diarrhea, all the time, every day and my boobs are constantly sore. Not pregnant, but I'm only on month two. I want to change but Planned Parenthood in my state doesn't offer free or cost effective appointments so I'll be trapped taking this for a while.”

poeticrain · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2019

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I took this birth control for 7 months, hoping to manage my unbearably painful periods. The first couple of months seemed okay. Periods were still painful but a bit more tolerable. By the 4th or 5th month, periods became irregular. I started spotting throughout my cycle, despite taking the pill religiously at the same time each day. Wish it would have worked better for me!”

Amy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 4, 2018

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I would rate Seasonique as 9 for the first 3.5 years then 1 the last year. I used Seasonique for almost 4 years. I skipped the sugar pills as I was having migraines when on the sugar pills because of the hormonal changes. It was great up until recently, my endometriosis seemed to have been contained and a cyst did also shrink (I had a surgery prior to that for a 7.5 cm cyst and endometriosis), no endometriosis pain while on Seasonique. It affected my libido but that worked on my favour as I’ve been recently divorced and have no interest in meeting men- if you are in a relationship that could be an issue. Recently however I’ve been having major depression while on Seasonique. I stopped for a month then went back to it and my depression came back. The depression got so serious that I had to stop the pill. It’s too bad I am now having this side effect because the pill did the job well previously.”

Vicky · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 9, 2018

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was diagnosed with endometriosis and put on Levlen to help reduce the length and pain of my periods. I would have periods that lasted over a month, they are now drastically shorter. They are also much lighter and the pain is much better. I would need to take Advil multiple times a day but now I can usually go without it. I've been on it for about four years and from memory I didn't have any side effects when I first started it, although I think it took a few months to really start working effectively. I know other people have said they got bad cystic acne, I used to break out during my period but I have found it is actually now much better, however I still do get a bit. Also, being able to skip periods is really great.”

Sar · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2018

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I took Levlen for 6 weeks to help my endometriosis. Immediate weight gain and fluid retention. Nausea for 3 weeks. Became out of control anxious and super moody. Have now stopped and after 1 week starting to feel more like myself again.”

Pk · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2018

“The whole point of this pill was to help with endo and period control. I have now gotten heavy flow 3 times in one month while taking this pill not to mention the acne and cramps! Going back to Diane ED!!! Never had a problem in the 16 years I have been taking it. I was told to change because I'm older now...”

Miserable Monster · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2018

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was prescribed Loseasonique to help manage endometriosis. I’ve been on it for three months. I felt horrible the first week. I decided to give it time. My cramps and periods are worse. I got headaches, depression, increased appetite, excruciating cramps, bleeding a lot more than before; constantly changing pads. I would get no relief from analgesic or the heat pack. I am 43 years old and do not have kids. I asked my gynecologist for a hysterectomy but, she said that would push me into menopause. The whole point is for me to live as pain free as possible. I don’t care if I have a period every month I am just tired of the pain and having to miss work. I would rate this a -0. I personally don’t recommend it.”

Lpetey · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2018

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've been taking this BC pill for about 4 months now (on my 4th month pack day 5) and I can tell you that the side effects are horrible and have yet to get any better. I've been having nasty headaches, insomnia, REALLY BAD depression (never been this badly depressed before), major mood swings (never had mood swings before), and days where I'm nauseated 24/7. I can hardly function. The only thing it has helped, was lesson my period pain. I feel like this pill is ruining my life more than the pain I was experiencing during my period that put me in bed for 2-3 days. I'm looking to get off of it asap, will be scheduling an appointment with my doctor very soon.”

JillianJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 3, 2018

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “This BC has literally been a lifesaver. I have Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) , endo, and PMDD (and at one point used this as birth control) and had an incredible decrease in symptoms. No weight gain, no loss of sex drive, no mood swings, my acne cleared up, my anxiety calmed and depression was more manageable, and I never had a pregnancy scare. I switched to Orsythia for about a month and had to switch to Lutera as a medical necessity due to my negative reactions with Orsythia. I cannot say enough good about this pill.”

JillianJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2018

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have never felt worse in my life than the three weeks of my taking this pill. I was on Lutera for several years in college and was told after graduating that Orsythia was exactly the same. I can tell you it is not. I became nauseous to the point of being unable to eat save for small bites of bland foods starting on day one after my first dose, lost 15 pounds (not great for someone with a history of ED) and became more anxious and depressed than ever. As someone with PTSD, GAD, and GDD, it was literally debilitating. I could not stop shaking and panicking until my placebo week, where my pain was minimal and felt fine after. Switched back to Lutera and have no problems. Do not take this med!”

Angelalynn215 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2017

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been on Seasonique for a month and a week and I am having the worst time of my life! I am on BC due to an endometriosis flare-up, soreness during sex and hormonal changes in my system. I have never taken this particular pill before; I was prescribed lo-seasonique in the past which was perfect! Seasonique is damaging! My body is aching; my breast feel 20lbs heavier just that area alone; the cramping OMG is on another level! I’m so frustrated right now because now I’m not sure if I should stop cold turkey or not; bleeding is now out of control! Every review I have read, I can relate to and it’s unfortunate because normally I would stand by the Lo-Seasonique- but this dosage, is the worse.. READ THE REVIEWS— THEY HAVE BEEN SPOT ON! ”

80514 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2017

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've been taking lessina for less than 2 months now (for my Pelvic floor myaliga )and I've had a horrible experience so far. The end of the first pack (around the 2 white pill) I started my period and the first 2 days were fine (other than the fact that I'm constantly in pain) but the 3rd day I was terrible I went through 6 pads with a bunch of clots mind you I've never had clots with a period before. So I had to go to the ER. Which they had to give me IV fluids and pain medication because the pain I had was so much worse than just the usually periods I get. They told me it was from the BC. And I should be switched right away. I also suffer from depression as it is and I've just haven't been able to pick myself up. I've been on so many BCs and nothing helps.”

Learn more about Endometriosis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)