User Reviews for ella to treat Emergency Contraception

ella Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Emergency Contraception.

Reviews for ella

"I’m a 18 year old girl and me and my boyfriend had sex but our condom broke so I took Ella emergency pill with in 4 hours of having intercourse, I have never taken any birth control or medicine. I didn’t have any side effects but it delayed my period for a whole month which was scary because I thought I was pregnant but thankfully I got my period the next month and it was really heavy. But other than that I had a great experience using Ella but beware because it can delay your period for a month which can make you super paranoid."

Gumpeaches (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2019

"So I just want to share my experience to maybe help out someone in a similar situation. I had unprotected sex about a month ago (yes I know not very clever) but it happened and my partner forgot to pull out. Anyways I took Ella, around 56hrs after. I didn’t have many symptoms I was just more tired if anything. My period was supposed to come on the 8th but instead it came today on the 14th. I was stressing out so much, I was sure I was pregnant. I thought I had most of the symptoms, even felt nauseous on some mornings, and my late period wasn’t helping. I took 2 pregnancy tests that week and both came out negative, so just glad that my period is finally here. Try not to worry, the pill did it’s job but it does mess up your cycle which is why my rating isn’t very high. Definitely going back on BC after this."

TiredAsF... April 14, 2019

"The Ella pill worked and done it's job well! Even though I was on my fertile days when condom broke, took Ella after 6hrs and it worked! Had some side effects but my period came on time! :)"

Bumblebee (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2019

"HAVE FAITH IN THE PILL. After taking the pill 5 days after sex I was worried it was too late. I had sex during ovulation so I freaking out!!! Took the pill by the time I wasn’t fertile so I was panicking that the egg had been fertilised. After a week of taking the pill the side effects were HORRIBLE. I felt sick and dizzy and so damn tired all the time. These side effects convince you that you’re pregnant. I took two pregnancy tests to put my mind at ease which came back negative but I still worried having had google tell me I was pregnant. DON'T STRESS because it delays your period even more and the internet just stresses you out. Had severe cramping in the lead up to my period and got my period a day after expected. Does the job but I prefer Levonelle (plan b) that doesn’t have side effects, but you only take that in the first 3 days after sex, Ella you can take a bit later"

dontworrygirls (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2019

"Took EllaOne on March 26th. 3 days before ovulation day. Still waiting for my period, it should come next week, but the side effects are really terrible. You feel 100% pregnant- tender breasts, dizziness, stomach cramps etc. I'm reading comments and hoping for the best! Good luck to all of us!"

Dendelion (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

"Took this just to be on the safe side after having unprotected sex... He did pull out but just wanted to be sure. Read a lot of these reviews and was really stressed as I took this on the day or just after ovulation. It worked, my period came exactly as it was supposed to so I was over the moon. Not going to lie, the day I took it I was extremely tired about an hour or two after taking it and ever since I was experiencing cramps, mood swings and discharge. It made me quite unwell and very moody, so the side effects weren't good but it did work so would recommend if you need it :) good luck and don't stress."

Goingthroughitoo (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

"Used this Morning After Pill on the 4th day after unprotected sex. Now 6 weeks pregnant."

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2019

"I bought ella online after the condom slipped with my boyfriend and stuff got inside of me. I took it after I ovulated and it worked! Not pregnant and got my period 2 days after the expected time, SIDE EFFECTS HOWEVER WERE HORRIBLE, makes you think you are definitely pregnant, I feel faint all the time, constant mood swings, increased appetite quadrupled, extreme hot flashes, depression (also this will not make you feel good if you have anxiety), basically all pregnancy symptoms x 3. Plan b never had any side effects for me in the past compared to ella, but this was a grave emergency so I needed to take it! Above all, works but kinda shuts your system down!"

shitdidnothit (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

"I had unprotected sex on 20th March around 3pm and took EllaOne about 10:30pm the next day as I struggled to take it in front of the pharmacist due to anxiety about taking pills. I have only been able to swallow few whole tablets in my whole life but succeeded with this one! It’s not too big for people concerned. I took a few days prior to expected ovulation and I have not experienced any side effects as of yet other than when I took it I was immediately drowsy, which could also have been because it was late or due to the anxiety I experienced taking it. The next day I had some very very light cramps, and I’ve needed to go to the toilet for a number two a lot more often. Expecting my period in two weeks and I am not nervous at all"

qwerty0012 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

"Pregnancy is a beautiful thing, but when the time is right. I had unprotected sex with a new date (I know stupid on my part) and never saw him again. I went straight to the pharmacy and took Ella One approximately 40 minutes after the unprotected sex. The next day I got my period (15/02/19) which wasn’t supposed to come for another two weeks. It lasted three days and it was super super light compared to my normal menstrual cycle. So I freaked a little bit cause sperm can live inside the body up to 5 days or so. After that I waited patiently for my next period to come on the (15/03/19) and it DIDN’T! Started to think I was pregnant cause I’ve taken EC before and never been late for a period in my life. But never took EllaOne, it was my first time. After 4 long days my period finally arrived with intense cramps and heavy fluid. Reading these reviews eased my mind and helped my mental health which is very important. So girls EllaOne DOES it’s job, and it DOES mess up your cycle."

Starly March 19, 2019

"I have an average 28 day cycle that is like clockwork. I had protected intercourse on day 21, a few days after ovulation (usually I ovulate around day 16) but the condom leaked, and I was nervous because I'm not currently on any other birthcontrol. Everything I read said it's useless if you take after you've already ovulated but I took it anyway just in case, about 14 hrs later. I usually get really bad PMS but I didn't have ANY PMS symptoms at all so I was worried. The day I expected my period it didn't come, so I bought a home pregnancy test and took it the next morning and it was negative. Period ended up coming a few hours later."

aaajjjccc March 18, 2019

"I was 12 days late and then got my period! GIRLS DON'T WORRY. I took Ella one, the DAY of ovulation and I was so scared it wouldn’t work but it has - I'm not pregnant! I was so nauseous when my period was meant to come, cramps, dizziness, SO much discharge. I was so sure I was pregnant. I even went to the Doctors office to get checked if I was pregnant as being late freaked me out! But it workssss & it has. Thank god."

Bellaboo (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

"I had protected sex on Feb 23rd, but the condom slipped off after and I felt like some baby making stuff had gotten on the entrance of my lady parts. I started panicking as my prescription for BC had recently expired & I had not taken it during that month, plus I had sex in prime ovulation time. I spent the next morning pleading with the doctor to prescribe me Ella since I am 5’5” and 220lbs & this pill has been found to be more effective with people who are overweight (I have gotten pregnant with Plan B in the past). I took Ella almost 12 hours after sex & hoped for the best. I didn’t experience any symptoms at first, with the exception of some mild cramping, but after 6-7 days, my breasts became tender and sore, I had nausea, & some lower back pain. I started to seriously worry that I was pregnant. After all that worrying however, my period finally came today, 3 days before it was due! Hang in there ladies! This pill worked for me & hopefully it will work for you too. :)"

Anonymous March 8, 2019

"My experience will Ella one was not effective!!! I AM SO ANGRY! This pill should be taken off the market!!! DO NOT USE THIS EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION! The event happened on the 16th February around 11pm. I took this pill on 17th February around 10:30am. This is just over 11 hours after which this pill allows you to take it up to 5 days. I was told this pill is 84% effective, which then made me ask what the other 16% would mean - it may not work! I did everything correctly, and yet I am now 3 weeks pregnant. I do not want this to happen to anyone else. I am serious do not take the Ella one morning after pill!! IT DOES NOT WORK!!!"

Not happy (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2019

"I had un protected sex on sunday 24th my ovulation day took this bad boy on Tuesday after 70hrs boy oh boy have I had pregnancy symptoms. I really thought I was but after all your comments I feel better and have hope I will be ok and oh I will never take Ella again. I haven't been able to eat for 5 days because I feel sick. But thank you all for your review I am more at peace"

babycakes March 4, 2019

"I rated this a 5 as I’m not sure what exactlys going on.. I took it 4 weeks ago (3 days after unprotected sex) and i still haven’t came on my period. I have a few pregnancy symptoms such as tender boobs, bloating, nausea and fatigue. I’m not sure if its normal to have a period this late or I could be pregnant I will do a test ASAP"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2019

"I had accidental unprotected sex (condom broke) on what I realized was either the day of ovulation or extremely close. I took ella the next day. Side effects included extreme fatigue for the rest of the day after I took the dose, moderate cramping (similar to my period cramping) for the entire next day, inability to focus for those 2-3 days, and general mood swings. After about 4 days, side effects were gone, or at least minimized to the point I didn't notice them. I had read here that many people's periods came super late after taking this, so I was prepared for that, but in actuality, my period came a day or two early, approx 12 days after taking the dose. I am on it now, and it is just as heavy, if not a little heavier, than my normal periods, so it feels like I'm back on track. Medication works differently for everyone, and the side effects were definitely more of an issue than I was given to believe by my doctor, but it worked for me, even with the timing being against me."

Madzie February 24, 2019

"Hi everyone, just wanted to share my experience because having a pregnancy scare is such a horrible time. I spent so many hours online trying to find a forum that I could relate to and give me some confidence about my situation. I had unprotected sex which was foolish in itself and then later realised that I had it on my predicted day of ovulation. Cue panic. Got ellaone about twelve hours later, it was pricey (35 euro) but I was desperate and had major anxiety about the whole thing. The side effects became apparent almost immediately for me, and they weren’t fun. I had nausea, extreme fatigue, back pain, cramps, bloating , the lot. These lasted for about four days. I hadn’t felt sick like I had on ellaone for a long time but fast forward two weeks and it has all been worth it. My period came today, late by four days but it’s here and I have such relief. Ellaone will compromise your cycle, and I think this period is worse than my more recent ones but ellaone has got your back."

Notter February 16, 2019

"Hey ! I had unprotected sex and decided to get the morning after pill I took the morning after pill about 13 hrs after I had sex , the day after I took the pill I started my period and it was heavy also lasted 7 days , it is now a month since I took the pill and when I last had my period, my period is 7 days late from the last time I took it hope it comes soon !!"

Slup (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2019

"Horrible side effects as opposed to no side effects with an other emergency contraception pill taken in the past . It 'works in a different way' I do not recommend."

depaka (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2019

"Just wanted to give an update. Unproc. Sex on 21st Nov early morn, forgot to take mini pill. Took this guy on the same day within 12h. Suffered CRAZY symptoms like cramps, fatigue, insomnia, MAJOR MOOD SWINGS. Was losing my mind. Felt sooo pregnant. All negative tests, got a light period on 18th Dec, 10 days late. A week later I got a proper period. Still suffering the side effects, last two cycles have been long. This pill works but I would never take it again, the side effects were too much. stay protected girls x"

Eem8a75 February 6, 2019

"So I had unprotected sex on the 18th using the pull out method but I also took Ella on the 22th (four days after) which was two days after ovulation week to be on the safer side. The side effects I had was tenderness of breasts, headaches, tiredness, cramps and I would get up in pee through out the night. So the day I was expected to get my period on the 1st which is today I got PAINFUL CRAMPS and I got a little blood but I think my period is coming on so Ella has worked for me "

Whoooo1 February 1, 2019

"I went to a sex health clinic thinking I was having a UTI and since I had unprotected sex the night before they gave me EllaOne and I stupidly took it. I am not trying to avoid a pregnancy. This was on the 15th of January. The next three nights I barely slept and on the 18th I was extremely nauseous that I couldn't eat anything all day. Same on the 25th. This nausea came and went up to present, I am very bloated, get full quickly, constipated and sleep like 12h per night. My stomach gurgles and I basically hate myself for getting this pill. I had no spotting and my period is due on the 5th of February so I look forward to it like a relief from all the horrible my hormonal imbalance puts me through. I read all possible forums and online threads about the side effects but I just think it hit me way harder than other people."

gabzz (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2019

"Hi just wanted to share my experience with this drug. I had sex on the 6th of January 3 days before ovulation. I took the Ella on the morning of the 8th of Jan ( one day before ovulation). As all these ovulation days are predictions I was super stressed and thought the egg had already been released when I took the EC. My period was due on the 26 but never came. This causes me great anxiety and even a panic attack, as I usually have the most regular cycle. Finally 6 days later I got my period. It was very painful and had pregnancy like symptoms all month ( strong smells and increased appetite) prior my period due date. GIRLS!!!!!! DO NOT PANIC! YOUR MENTAL HEALTH IS IMPORTANT. ELLA HAS PROBABLY DONE ITS JOB AT 95% OF THE CASES, AND IF YOU ARE PART OF THE 5% THEN THERE ARE ALWAYS SOLUTIONS TO MOST SITUATIONS good or bad. Good luck to all and deep breaths."

Anxiety freak (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2019

"I have fallen pregnant after taking this morning after pill and as you can imagine it’s caused massive upset and shock. Therefore I am writing this to make you fully aware also, as I never thought I would be one of those small % that this pregnant."

Anna (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2019