User Reviews for Seasonique

Seasonique has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 366 ratings on Drugs.com. 34% of those users who reviewed Seasonique reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
6.2
Summary of Seasonique reviews 5.1 366 reviews

Reviews for Seasonique

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: “I tried Seasonique for a month and 3 weeks because it was recommended by a relative, not blood related. It worked for her but I do not think it worked for me . My experience was nausea in the first two weeks but nothing too bad, several weeks in even though I was eating less I actually gained a few lbs, I believe it is water. I also experienced throbbing in my legs, tightness in my back, headaches, lower abdomal cramping (way more than usual) and sometimes chest pain, and overall feeling of heaviness. I stopped taking it due to worrisome side effects being the throbbing and bloating just incase. I have never had a problem with water retention before. I have PCOS so I am used to feeling unwell with some of those things in particular but I think Seasonique heightened them. The benefits were less hair loss , less cravings but not worth the bloat. I hope this medication works for others, I am going to try YAZ next due to it having a different chemical compound.”

Audri · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 23, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on this pill for about 8 months now, during the last month of the pack (because it’s a 3 month pack) I constantly spot, and the last week of the 3rd month I have VERY heavy periods with horrible cramping. I’m on my 8th month and still have 2 weeks left and started spotting today? I thought it would subside but it hasn’t. My anxiety is the worst it’s ever been. I thought it would get better with the spotting and bleeding but it hasn’t. The only good thing is my face has cleared up but it’s not worth being on my period for a whole month, definitely switching ASAP.”

Mary · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 24, 2021

For Birth Control: “This pill has really worked for me! I don’t get any side effects and my skin looks really great. I’ve been on two other pills and they caused me to break out, have continuous spotting, and worsened my depression. Seasonique just works really well with my body!”

Toots96 November 9, 2013

For Birth Control: “I started taking Seasonique about 6 months ago when my boyfriend recommended I switch birth controls. (I was previously on Apri 28 and it made me crazy) I love Aeasonique! It's amazing to only have to worry about periods once every three months! One con I did notice is slight cramping around the times I used to get my period, other then this the birth control is amazing. I have clearer skin, lost weight, and have been feeling like myself again. Would recommend this to anyone!”

Anonymous June 11, 2010

For Birth Control: “I was so scared to try this birth control but my doctor recommend it to me. I wanted to at the time to try Yaz "miracle pill " because I suffer from PMDD and I thought that it would work out for me but she advised me to try Seasonique because you only get your period 3-4 times a year, so this is my second month and and it is working out great no weight gain and no acne. A little spotting but that's not a problem. Thought nothing would help me. This pill has saved my life and my marriage. I would get so crazy when it was time for my period. Love this. It worked out for me but everybody is different. You just have try to find the right one for you. I would read a lot of reviews and get scared but just try a birth control for 3 months then you will know.”

Anonymous February 17, 2020

For Birth Control: “Amazing, I was basically out of commission for a 1.5 weeks a month with my period and now on seasonique I only having 4 light and painless once a year. It is a game-changer and I no longer have PMS mood swings and have really helped my relationship!! I love this pill”

Sad:( · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I’ve been taking seasonique for almost 2 months. I’d heard that it would allow me to skip periods which I desperately needed because my periods were so severe. Completely unbearable cramps, nausea, fatigue, heavy flow, etc. About 3 weeks ago I started having horrible cramps and bleeding and it has not stopped for one day since. I have literally been on my period for 3 weeks! I would have been better off not taking it at all. At least this pain would only last a week or so. I’ve also had some weight gain without changing my diet so I feel like it’s another side effect of this birth control. I had such high hopes for it but sadly, it kind of sucks.”

JaderOne September 14, 2010

For Birth Control: “I usually don't write in these forums but after reading a few post, I realized that I needed to share my experiences to help someone else. I'm on my 8th week of Seasonique. Of course I started taking it because I was attracted to the 4 periods a year. The first side effect I started experiencing was headaches, backaches and stomach cramps. It either went away or I just got used to it. Secondly, I noticed my face breaking out along the jaw line. This has been a problematic area for me before but never quite this severe. I get once a week facials and there was absolutely no explanation for this. Lastly, I've had these non-stop hysterical crying episodes. ”

Kaate April 19, 2018

For Birth Control: “Keep the Faith! My first 6 weeks was pure misery. Constantly bloated, crying, never ending period. Had it for the whole first 6 weeks. I called my Doctor after the first month, begging her to change my BC, but she asked for me to finish out the 3 months. I'm so happy I did, as SOON as the 6th week, all side affects faded away. I am no longer emotionally all over the place, sex drive has returned. No bleeding or even spotting. Yay!!! I was scared reading the reviews, so I wanted to post that it did change for me. Hope this helps !”

Oceanna · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 29, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had a great experience on this birth control. I had no weight gain, no hair loss, my skin was generally pretty clear, and the best part were the 4 periods a year. My hair also grew very fast, and was super long and shiny. Only con was that if I didn’t always take it at the same time every day, I would get breakthrough bleeding.”

Anonymous January 16, 2010

For Birth Control: “I've been taking Seasonique for 4 months now. I've had no break through bleeding, no problems with sex drive, no serious weight gain or acne. I've also noticed that my moods have become more level (as I was diagnosed with PMDD & my dr thought that leveling out the hormones for a longer period of time would help). Also, my periods only last about 3 days. Love this pill.”

Tee · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2020

For Birth Control: “My mood swings have never been so bad. I used to only get bad PMS about a week before my period. Now it’s all the time. Also, between the last couple periods, I’ve been getting blood clots and constant dried blood so I was pretty much on my period for 3 months. This is the worst birth control I’ve ever been on”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 23, 2013

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on birth control for 9 years for heavy/too frequent periods. For the first 6 years, Seasonique was amazing. However, especially within the past two years, I have had excessive spotting. For awhile, I was on the generic and just thought there was a difference between that and the name brand. Initially I had no problems, but I started a doctorate program and am sure the stress has a lot to do with it, but my spotting has started again. It'll happen any time I stress out or after having sex. I like not having my period for 3 months but now, im on my period more than a normal bc. Except it's worse. It comes unannounced and has ruined a number of undergarments.”

Anonymous December 14, 2008

For Birth Control: “I've been taking seasonique for a month now, not for its usual purpose, but to help an ovarian cyst dissolve. So far it's just like most of the other birth control pills I've tried but I have noticed a few side effects. Nothing major, but still noticeable. I've had more breakouts but it's actually starting to clear up so I'm sure there were other factors causing that. My appetite has been stronger than usual ever since I began Seasonique. I try to keep it under control but I just get really weird cravings a lot. Lastly, I constantly have this cramp that feels like the ones you get a few days before you start your period. It's the kind where you can feel a dull ache in your lower back and lower pelvis area. It's not painful but I can still feel it.”

cramp free! August 2, 2010

For Endometriosis: “I've now been using Seasonique for a year and I've been completely happy and unbelievably satisfied with this product. I have endometriosis so when my period came before I was on birth control it was dreadfully painful for the three to five days while I was on my period. I tried Yaz and it only made my periods regular, then I tried NuvaRing and that actually made my cramps worse and lasted for an entire week. After that I did tons of research and decided to try Seasonique. And for the past year I have only had maybe 2 hours worth of cramps the entire time. During the second refill I only blotted a little, but overall every symptom that follows endometriosis has disappeared! I highly recommend Seasonique. It's fantastic!”

Anonymous April 21, 2010

For Birth Control: “I have been on Seasonique for almost a year now and have had no problems until just recently. The past couple of months I have been extremely bloated (to the point where I thought I was pregnant and took a pregnancy test) and have been very exhausted. I stay tired all day and no matter how much sleep I get I just want to lay in bed. I have also been bleeding very heavily for over 5 weeks now, and I am no where close to the time I'm supposed to bleed. The cramps and bleeding have been heavier/worse than I've ever had. ”

EClass · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 26, 2013

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on Seasonique for over 6 months. I have had continuous spotting along with cramps for the last 16 days. My doctor informed me to skip the pills at the end of the pack so that I do not have any periods due to my periods being extremely painful. However, I hate the fact that I have been spotting for over 2 weeks. I started this birth control to treat endometriosis and to regulate my periods. Yet, spotting every day is not any better. I am looking into other options right now. I don't like bleeding all the time.”

Kate · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2019

For Birth Control: “I'm actually surprised of all the negative reviews. I love this Seasonique for my birth control. I've been on it for almost 5 years now. I do remember when I first started taking it I did have bleeding for almost 3-4 weeks. After that I never had an issue and now whenever I get my period it is very light and only lasts 3 days. The only way this birth control could get better was if I didn't have to take it everyday”

amw176 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 19, 2012

For Birth Control: “I have been on Seasonique for two years now and I love it!! It took about two packs, or six months, for my body to adjust to the new period cycle, but it wasn't a problem at all. I was 16 when I started taking it, and was surprised in how quickly it worked especially with my ever changing hormones. Having a period four times a year is AMAZING, and I have absolutely no spotting in between. Plus, when I do have my period, it only lasts for four or five days, and the longer I have been on Seasonique, the lighter they have become. The only downside for me is that I get an achy back and back spasms during the time of the period, but they are not severe and end soon as my period ends. Highly recommend!”

Malley · Taken for 10 years or more July 10, 2019

For Birth Control: “I've been on this pill since 2008. I've been period free since 2009 - I skip the placebo week and move straight to the next pack. When I first started the pill I had horrible side effects (mood swings, breakthrough bleeding) but these have all gone away. I used to have horrible cramps back when I was a teen and that was the initial reason for going on the pill - I actually would go home sick due to the pain. Obviously not an issue now. Definitely would recommend if you want to be period-free. It may take a few months to get to that stage, but well worth it.”

Brittany · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “This birth control has literally ruined the past few months of my life. Not only have I gained almost ten pounds, about a week after I started taking it I started bleeding. I have since been bleeding and today is day number 16. I have the worst cramps, headaches, and heavy flow that I have had in YEARS! Not only does it keep happening, I am clotting... and the blood looks horrible. I also developed a rash on my legs, and my doctor told me to keep taking it! I will absolutely NOT keep taking these pills.”

Dee.Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2012

For Birth Control: “I tried Seasonique 3 month supply for birth control & also to control my period's, for the first month I had no period then all of a sudden I bled for three months (full periods not just spotting). But you may try it and it may work for you, because as you know (no one woman's body is the same) so what happened to me may just be my case. If It works for you congratulations.”

Jen · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 10, 2019

For Birth Control: “I took Seasonique for 7 years. I did get occasional break through bleeding- maybe once a year; however, this was faint, a tiny amount of brown blood and not bothersome. This pill was wonderful for me in every way- no more crazy PMS mood swings, and very light periods, no cramping. I did not take it at the perfect time every day and it did not lead to any problems. I only stopped taking it in August as we want to have a baby.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 24, 2013

For Birth Control: “I was on this Birth control for 6 months, and started noticing a lot of side effects. I was losing more hair, my skin was getting drier and I was also so sad, and cried and got mad over anything. I went to my doctor and he ran me for some blood tests and came back to find out that my estrogen levels dropped immensely. I have switched to the Nuva ring - a low dose birth control. Other then that - I had no problems. If you have these symptoms I urge you to get tested for estrogen levels.”

Anonymous August 13, 2010

“As someone who just started on this pill, it's difficult to know from these reviews whether I'll be one of the women who will get a bad experience from it. I think it helps if one can learn of experiences from women with similar background. It would be nice if reviewers would please list their age, ethnicity, history of hormonal illnesses (e.g. thyroid problems, PMDD, etc.), if you've already had children before taking this pill, how long you've been taking the pill, and when did the symptoms started to appear? Also, experiences with other pills as is often mentioned in past reviews is much appreciated. Thanks!”

Anonymous February 26, 2013

For Birth Control: “It's been 2 years, I spotted for almost six weeks straight on the first pack until I had the first period. I gained about 10 lbs but most of it was in my chest. I'm just now getting back to my "normal" weight, which also means my breasts are doing back down. Periods are really light, the last two packs nonexistent. If I'm not careful to take them at around the same time, I will get cramping and sometimes spotting. If the spotting doesn't stop within a few days, I stop taking the pack for a week and have a period and then start the pack again. Overall I love it, though I have noticed increased night sweats but don't know for sure it's related.”

Random · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “This is a follow up to my Oct 2019 review. Quitting today to save my marriage! Kidding. Sort of. I’ve basically been bleeding 3 months out of the 5 that I’ve been taking this pill. Totally defeated the purpose. Had no other side effects but the bleeding just won’t stop.”

BritAle · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2019

For Birth Control: “This birth control Seasonique caused me to be hospitalized with multiple Pulmonary Embolisms (blood clots in my lungs). While the initial use of this contraceptive and hospitalization was years ago; I am still feeling the effects. Any pregnancy I have will be a high risk, requiring me to take blood thinners and my child will be more susceptible to blood clots in their life times.”