User Reviews for Seasonique to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Seasonique has an average rating of 3.4 out of 10 from a total of 75 ratings for the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. 15% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 65% reported a negative effect.

Seasonique Rating Summary

3.4/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Seasonique

Sad:( · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2020

“I’ve been taking seasonique for almost 2 months. I’d heard that it would allow me to skip periods which I desperately needed because my periods were so severe. Completely unbearable cramps, nausea, fatigue, heavy flow, etc. About 3 weeks ago I started having horrible cramps and bleeding and it has not stopped for one day since. I have literally been on my period for 3 weeks! I would have been better off not taking it at all. At least this pain would only last a week or so. I’ve also had some weight gain without changing my diet so I feel like it’s another side effect of this birth control. I had such high hopes for it but sadly, it kind of sucks.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 23, 2013

“I have been on birth control for 9 years for heavy/too frequent periods. For the first 6 years, Seasonique was amazing. However, especially within the past two years, I have had excessive spotting. For awhile, I was on the generic and just thought there was a difference between that and the name brand. Initially I had no problems, but I started a doctorate program and am sure the stress has a lot to do with it, but my spotting has started again. It'll happen any time I stress out or after having sex. I like not having my period for 3 months but now, im on my period more than a normal bc. Except it's worse. It comes unannounced and has ruined a number of undergarments.”

EClass · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 26, 2013

“I have been on Seasonique for over 6 months. I have had continuous spotting along with cramps for the last 16 days. My doctor informed me to skip the pills at the end of the pack so that I do not have any periods due to my periods being extremely painful. However, I hate the fact that I have been spotting for over 2 weeks. I started this birth control to treat endometriosis and to regulate my periods. Yet, spotting every day is not any better. I am looking into other options right now. I don't like bleeding all the time.”

Brittany · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2018

“This birth control has literally ruined the past few months of my life. Not only have I gained almost ten pounds, about a week after I started taking it I started bleeding. I have since been bleeding and today is day number 16. I have the worst cramps, headaches, and heavy flow that I have had in YEARS! Not only does it keep happening, I am clotting... and the blood looks horrible. I also developed a rash on my legs, and my doctor told me to keep taking it! I will absolutely NOT keep taking these pills.”

FemInPA · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

“I started to take the Seasonique as directed and did not make it past 10 days. My period which normally lasted 5 days is still going on for 3 weeks!!! I stopped on day 10 because the bleeding was awful. The point to take was to have less period, not to bleed everyday. 3 days after taking it and I have never bled so heavy in all my 34 years of having a period. This stuff is awful!”

June56 February 2, 2018

“Worst decision of my life was to start this birth control. After just 5 weeks of being on it. I started spotting, then it moved into full blown heavy period. With the worst cramps I’ve ever experienced in my life! I would be changing my pad every hour along with taking pain medicine to try and help with cramping but even that didn’t help. I was in so much pain I was calling in to not go to work which I have worked for over 35 years and never call in sick. Starting this birth-control has messed with my life physically and emotionally the past month and a half that I’ve been on this so I stopped taking the pill and my symptoms have been getting worse. I talked my doctor and she said to just stay on the pill. I refuse to continue to take it I’m just praying that the symptoms will go away as soon as the hormones withdrawals from my body. I took this birth control to help not get my period and it’s only been the opposite and a nightmare if symptoms since taking it.”

Disappointed x infinity February 17, 2017

“I wish I would have read these comments prior to me starting this pill. THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!! I have been bleeding and passing EXTREMELY LARGE blood clots for 13 days. It started 2 days into my second pack. The pain is severe almost mirroring labor pains with abdominal contractions everytime I pass a clot. I stopped the pill and bleeding continues to get worse. Avoid this pill like the plague!!”

Royalq October 31, 2015

“I've been on the pill for a little over a month and I'm stopping. I'm extremely anemic and I asked my doc for this to help with my periods. They were getting increasingly heavy and painful and making my anemia worse. I started taking the generic of this pill and in 1 month gained 10 pounds. Then I started spotting and got a full blown period month 1. This period is heavier than normal and has zapped me of all my energy. It has lasted 7 days of constant normal to heavy bleeding that doesn't seem like its going to stop. The blood is still fresh bright red so it doesn't looking like its stopping soon. Also this week of bleeding has made me extremely emotional. I almost quit my job! I feel very angry, irritated, annoyed, depressed.”

PainfulPeriods · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2020

“I took this med for about a week and a half. The first few days, pleasantly, no side effects. Then I started having the worst insomnia, vivid nightmares, and a deep-bone back pain/body aches every night. Fast forward to days 7-9, I still had all of the above, plus acne, panic attacks, racing thoughts, stomach cramps, diarrhea, depression, and hot flashes. At this point, I would rather have heavy, painful, periods! I am an attorney and cannot function like this.”

jas August 29, 2018

“Been on seasonique for just over 2 years. While getting periods only four times a year is great, its never been a true reality for me. Out of the three months that are within a pack, the first two are great, but every time I hit the third month I start spotting. But not even just a regular little bit of brown discharge. It starts like that for a few days and about a week or so into that 3rd month I begin getting very large clots. It resembles a light period almost, as if my entire uterine lining comes out in these clots. This lasts for a few weeks, all the way up until my last week of pills... which is when I'm supposed to get my period, which I don’t because I lost all the blood in the 2-3 weeks prior to that. This medication has also made me gradually gain 20 pounds since I first began it. I cannot wait until I get off this pill. 2 more weeks and then I will not be getting a refill. I have had a enough. Do not recommend this medication.”

38 year old · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2016

“I wanted to try seasonique for the 4 periods a year. On my 1st month I started bleeding on the 3 week and still bleeding 3 weeks later. The bleeding is really annoying and doesn't seem to be letting up. It's thicker consistency and small clots. I will give this a little more time but so far I'm not happy at all!! After reading other comments it seems more bleeding is expected then what's advertised! :(”

Spotty LaUrA · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2016

“I loved the thought of not having a period EVERY month, as advertised. It worked great for 6 & 1/2 years. Light spotting when I started back then, and lighter periods and not buying so many tampons was very nice! I got off the pill for 6 months (for financial reasons.) Decided to go back on it, and now I'm in month two and on my 11th day bleeding. Started as spotting, then got heavier each day after, & minor clotting. I saw dark brown blood on day 9 of bleeding, thought it was ending, finally, then next day...BAM, back to bright red bleeding again, & HORRIBLE cramping to go with it! I'm a mess emotionally. It's like PmS, but not going away once the period starts. I think it's turned on me. Time for a switch! I can't affOrd ALL these pads”

KatrinaT34 February 24, 2017

“I started taking these pills January 12,2017 bc I didn't won't to deal with having a period anymore...the worst mistake do not take! My hormones are jacked up. I'm am very moody my appetite is crazy I have gain 10 pounds and also I been bleeding for 3 weeks straight. My Dr told me to continue to take but I will not take this med - he even tried change the dosage and give me some menopause meds. I said I'm not taking any of that meds it had me so messed up bad. I'm am bleeding so much from my uterus. They are recommending that I have Nova Sure surgery done. I will keep u post but beware this birth control is not good at all these. reviews are truth.”

Loucks2 December 1, 2010

“After reading all the horrible comments on sites about this medication, I thought I would add my positive ones. I have been on it a little over 4 months now. As of the 4th month, I stopped all bleeding. Very few side effects at first, maybe being tired (I was anemic too), a little nausea and cramps right at first, but getting past all that, the bleeding finally stopped. This is a wonderful medication. Don't let the negative comments impact you. Each of us react differently. I have fibroids and the bleeding was very bad. They didn't know if this would help or not, worth the shot. Glad it is so far. Just don't give up at first even if you want to. Give it at least until the 4th month for your body to adjust.”

jemmyb · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2019

“Have had a period with cramps since Sept 2019. started Seasonique to try to get rid of my abnormal bleeding, I had heavy periods, migraines, nausea and cramps prior to starting and weeks of spotting. Now I'm on my 46th pill of Seasonique and am STILL moderate bleeding must wear tampons or pads daily since Sept, and I have nausea, upset bowels, and horrible cramps sometimes I can't even stand up. My doctor said to keep taking it and finish the pack and it will get better. WILL IT? I have not stopped bleeding for months and its so difficult to explain to a spouse why I feel sick and am STILL also bleeding.”

brytt92 November 14, 2011

“I have been on this pill for about a month and on my second week I am bloated, never hungry, have mood swings and don't want to get out of bed in the mornings. Also I started light bleeding like when you are coming off your period.”

Anon November 8, 2019

“Hate this birth control. Just finished the first pack. I’m on my 6th week of bleeding and now that I’m on the placebos I’m having the heaviest period I’ve had in years. I’m at my wits end. Want to rip my hair out. Can’t stand this birth control.”

A March 17, 2019

“I started this pill a week before my first period was due because we were going on a holiday. About a week before we were leaving and still in the first pack I I started spotting brown it’s now day 13 and it’s getting heavier with clots and I’m in Mexico with my family and can’t do anything! This sucks!!! I should have just went with a normal birth control and I would have been fine. Or just allowed my period to come while on holidays for the last 2 days ”

Super Frustrated December 29, 2010

“I started this pill to only have 4 periods a year. I don't need the Birth Control because my husband is "fixed". I was like clockwork every 28 days, but my period would last 7 horrible days. I had major bleeding, clotting and cramps. So, I thought this would help with both the flow and amount of time. I started the pill 8 weeks ago, since then I have been bleeding (enough to wear a pad) for 4.5 of those weeks. My breasts are super sore, and have grown a cup size. I have had cramping for most of the time. I'm going to stop because it's causing the very thing I'm trying to eliminate.”

CDW · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2019

“I am on my 3rd month of this birth control and at first glance I thought this would be wonderful. I recently switched from Nexplanon to Seasonique and I'm starting to regret that change. I have been bleeding for 17 days and it does not seem to let up. I am still experiencing menstrual cramps on top of the bleeding and I am not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Although I want to continue the pack, I am having second thoughts. Nexplanon isn't great, but this isn't a holy grail to your period answers either. Pick your poison ladies.”

Anonymous December 10, 2009

“Yes, this medicine was a life saver in the begining. But recently I have felt as if I am losing my mind and myself. I have constant anxiety and when it turns into a panic attack it is draining. I have apocalyptic feelings and struggle to believe myself and others. I would recommend to not go on this medicine and save yourself the mental pain, because there are other measures that can be taken.”

Subiechick May 8, 2020

“Seasonique was great for 2 months and THEN on the 3rd month, I started to bleed heavily. Every time I stood up, I felt like I peed myself, every minute I had to change my pad/liner and then blood clots. It was just bad. Very uncomfortable. My period was light for the first week and then 2 more weeks, that’s when it got heavy, heavier than my regular period. So yes, maybe my body was transitioning but I honestly couldn’t stand it. I hate that uncomfortable feeling, especially at night, I was leak all the way down to my bum crack, (sorry). And I would get very hot at night. I am officially off BC, I’d rather get my period every month for 2-3 days, work out, have a good diet and drink water and know my body, rather than not knowing what is going to happen. Obviously everyone’s body is different, but the heavy periods ain’t it. Ain’t bout that life, like I said, I’d rather get a LIGHT period every month, rather than deal with a heavy one for WEEKS. Also. I had BAD cramps!”

Me2018 February 1, 2018

“I started taking this pill 8 years ago. It was awesome. Light periods that lasted only a few days! Recently on third month spotting started. I figured period was coming early bc of stress. About 3 weeks later I’m having the heaviest period I’ve had in YEARS! Painful cramps, clots and just so much bleeding! I am miserable!”

Anonymous January 25, 2012

“Since aged 12 I had cramps that would literally make me throw up, bleeding that was so heavy it took 10-12 super tampons a day, and prolonged periods of up to a month. This medication was a lifesaver. My period is now light, few cramps and very short. It helps with my problems. But of course there are some things I don't particularly like. My sex drive is absolutely zero (my boyfriend doesn't appreciate that) and I'm more emotional than ever. Random crying outbreaks happen, and the feeling of raging. ”

NonStop · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2019

“I have fibroids that cause very heavy and painful periods. I was prescribed this medication after declining Depo-Lupron (the shot). Things started out fine the first few weeks, but then I started spotting (which I was told was normal) but then spotting turned into a period. I'm now on the 3rd pack, and will have to finish it at the request of my doctor, and not a day has gone by that I haven't bled. This pill did not work for me.”

Learn more about Abnormal Uterine Bleeding