User Reviews for Seasonique to treat Endometriosis

Seasonique Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Seasonique

Beep · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2020

“I was on the Seasonique pill for about a year. I would not consider myself someone with depression, but I do go through bouts of sadness like everyone. Seasonique caused me to become horribly, horribly depressed. I would lay in bed and stare at the wall for hours. I couldn't will myself to get up at all. I started having extremely bad suicidal ideations that I couldn't snap myself out of. The final straw for me was during the off time of the pills where you get your period. I passed a blood clot the size of my fist. It was extremely painful and I almost passed out. I have never, ever experienced this before, and never experienced it again after I got off Seasonique.”

Amy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 4, 2018

“I would rate Seasonique as 9 for the first 3.5 years then 1 the last year. I used Seasonique for almost 4 years. I skipped the sugar pills as I was having migraines when on the sugar pills because of the hormonal changes. It was great up until recently, my endometriosis seemed to have been contained and a cyst did also shrink (I had a surgery prior to that for a 7.5 cm cyst and endometriosis), no endometriosis pain while on Seasonique. It affected my libido but that worked on my favour as I’ve been recently divorced and have no interest in meeting men- if you are in a relationship that could be an issue. Recently however I’ve been having major depression while on Seasonique. I stopped for a month then went back to it and my depression came back. The depression got so serious that I had to stop the pill. It’s too bad I am now having this side effect because the pill did the job well previously.”

Angelalynn215 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2017

“I have been on Seasonique for a month and a week and I am having the worst time of my life! I am on BC due to an endometriosis flare-up, soreness during sex and hormonal changes in my system. I have never taken this particular pill before; I was prescribed lo-seasonique in the past which was perfect! Seasonique is damaging! My body is aching; my breast feel 20lbs heavier just that area alone; the cramping OMG is on another level! I’m so frustrated right now because now I’m not sure if I should stop cold turkey or not; bleeding is now out of control! Every review I have read, I can relate to and it’s unfortunate because normally I would stand by the Lo-Seasonique- but this dosage, is the worse.. READ THE REVIEWS— THEY HAVE BEEN SPOT ON! ”

Harderwifey · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2017

“First 2 months of taking it I didn't stop bleeding, gained 10 lb (been 125 lbs for the past 10 years) got zits! (Maybe had 5 zits in my whole life) then started this pill and I'm a bloated, bloody, zitty beast! I through the pills in the trash today. Enough is enough! Horrible medication”

PME 84 December 19, 2016

“I started seasonique due to my endometriosis & my Dr wanted to stop my periods. I started the pill on 10/15 didn't bleed from then to 11/26 then I started spotting at first then this turned into red heavy bleeding from then on. After failed attempts of trying to call & get into see my Dr. after 18 days of bleeding I went to the ER where they did nothing but a pregnancy test & some regular blood work, that came back normal, and told me I had dysfunctional uterine bleeding due to endometriosis! I then called my Dr again after telling them I went to the ER they then were able to get me in 5 days later at this time I've been 23 days after an examination the Dr wants me to stay on seasonique for 7 more days taking it not once but three times a day!”

236 December 8, 2016

“I gave this a 1 only because 0 was not an option. Of course, everyone has their own experiences and will react differently to this birth control pill. I highly recommend to everyone to read reviews online and DO YOUR RESEARCH because I didn't and I blindly trusted my doctor. Unlike most people, I did not need this pill for the purpose of birth control but to simply avoid my period for 1 WEEK in December, as I am going away on vacation. I went to see my doctor for contraception to avoid my period for that one week in the upcoming December and she immediately prescribed seasonique. I checked with her again asking what was the use of starting in October, but she convinced me that it was my best option as I would have no bleeding until January.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2016

“When I was 22 I found out I had endometriosis and my doctor recommended this to regulate my periods. I was giving samples since I didn't have any insurance I took it for two years until they no longer had anymore sample and I still didn't have any insurance and was unable to pay for it. I absolutely loved being on this it was so nice having a period that only lasted three days and only four periods a year. Yes when u first start taking it u do have some breakthrough bleeding which is annoying but stick with it because once ur over that is great. Now I'm back on it and my periods last a max of two days. I love it and so much less pain from endometriosis”

Lyss2222 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 15, 2015

“I was on this for 7 weeks before stopping to try to conceive. It was wonderful in that it finally took away the pelvic pain I continued to have on other pills. I had a light period within three days of stopping it. I've had two full cycles since, and they've both been shorter than usual, with a short (8-10 days) luteal phase. I'm hoping this sorts itself out soon. Unfortunately I don't see myself taking this again, because it made my migraines much more frequent, and gave me fairly bad heart palpitations. A less troubling complaint was increased acne.”

rubyn nor May 18, 2015

“I used this b.c pill for month and suffered from a lot of side effect. Being extremely emotional and cry for no reason. Heavy bloated and abdominal pain that I couldn't realized if that is a symptom of endo or what? Headaches, difficulty sleeping at night, shortness of breath I stopped after a month and most of symptoms are gone never going back on this pill again. Now I'm using visanne just for 3 month as per my GP to see if endo is shrinking. Much better choice so far.”

blythechick86 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 12, 2015

“This medication has been great for my endometriosis and ovarian cysts. The only downside is that I now I have to go off of it because I have developed hepatic adenomas (uncommon benign liver tumors) that are caused by the long term use of estrogen (I've been on it for more than 5 years).”

Anonymous August 10, 2012

“First 3 months I spotted but been on for about 8 months and it is amazing. Less periods means less pain for me PLUS my periods have been very light!”

collegegirl123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2012

“I have struggled with endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome- so being put on the pill wasn't much of an option for me, I needed something to control the unbearable pain for it was really limiting my life. Since I began Seasonique over a month ago- I have had painful stomach aches that seem to be worst for the first few hours after I wake up. My emotions have been off the wall, everything is making me cry- I am easily agitated, and haven't felt like myself. I don't feel depressed- just irritated and emotional most days. I think the worst side effect has been the explosive diarrhea that sneaks up on me- embarrassing. This has never happened to me before, and now it's at least once a day an urgent run to the bathroom is needed.”

Anonymous April 2, 2012

“I have a condition called endometrial hyperplasia. Basically, my uterus is thick, my uterine cells produce quickly and cause pain that feeds into my muscle cells during menstruation. I have had two children and constant pain during my cycles. My OB suggested Seasonique to get rid of my cycle and end my pain. After a while my abdominal pain is TOTALLY gone. I also have a much more stable mood. Once you get through one full cycle the spotting decreases and things level out. I suggest not stopping until you have tried it for at least 3-6 months.”

Anonymous October 14, 2011

“I've been on this pill for about 3 or 4 years. Up until about 6 months ago, this pill was a blessing. I have been on everything else (Depo, a laundry list of other pills) and nothing worked as well as Seasonique. A few months ago I gained about 30 pounds out of no where and I lost about 20 pounds with a lot of hard work but no matter what I do, I can't get under 130. I have severe headaches and recently I've been bleeding through and not just spotting like full on period. On top of that I was cramping severely and having stomach problems. My husband and I just decided to quit the pill and see what happens and let me tell you I feel much better. I would say yes to this pill except for the side effects I started having.”

Anonymous June 20, 2011

“My doctor prescribed this birth control to help ease the side effects of endometriosis. She leaned towards this one because Seasonique should mean less periods and less periods should mean less Endometriosis pain. This medication was a totally failed for me. I know different people have different reactions to medications but my experience was not a positive one. I bled off an on very frequently and cramped. I had very bad headaches at times (unusual for me). I was extremely emotional and moody (also unusual for me) and stayed bloated a good majority of the time. I was on it for 4 and a half months and could not take it any more. Also very pricey.”

Anonymous March 2, 2011

“I started Seasonique in September of last year. The first 3 month pack worked awesome for me, my acne cleared up, my cramps from Endometriosis diminished, and I only had 1 period in 3 months with no break through bleeding or spotting. However, in week 5 of my second pack I started spotting, a week after that I was bleeding like a regular menstrual cycle. Also my cramps became more severe and I developed tremendous pain in my lower back. I have been bleeding for the past 6 weeks since I first noticed the spotting and my cramps have come back in full force. After reading some of the reviews on this website I feel a little better but I suppose my case is a rare and extreme reaction because I haven't seen anything too close in comparison.”

loopy1x February 7, 2011

“I have been taking Seasonique for about 2 months now. When I first took it I noticed some dizziness and headaches. I was going to get off of it as I didn't want to deal with that but decided to wait it out. Before the end of the first month that all stopped. I haven't had any breakthrough bleeding but I do get a little crampy when I got close to the end of the month, which I'm guessing will go away with time. I'm now on my last week of my second month and I have extreme breast tenderness. Not sure what that is all about but I am also going to hold it out and only hope it gets better. I have had endometriosis for 12 years now and they got rid of the birth control I was using before I had my kids. So I needed to try something new.”

LadyBee1 January 28, 2011

“I took Seasonique for only two weeks, but I quit because of the severe and immediate mood changes I experienced while on it. I have an anxiety disorder, and when I started taking Seasonique, I started feeling more irritated/anxious. After that, my mood plummeted into a depression. I felt like crying or screaming all the time. I also developed acne, breast tenderness, and extreme bloating. When I stopped the pill, I started a period even though I had a period two weeks prior. When I stopped taking Seasonique, my mood improved. I have taken the pill before and never had this reaction. I am now going to get the Mirena IUD to treat my endometriosis/adenomyosis.”

Anonymous January 1, 2011

“I have been taking Seasonique for 2 months to stop the continual cramping from endometriosis and the heavy period. The first month and a half, I didn't have a period, but I have been bleeding for 2 weeks straight, this is my 15th day of bleeding and horrible cramping. I did have energy at first and that was nice, along with the almost non-existent cramping until I started bleeding. I had sex last night and it hurt. I have also experienced hot flashes (the doctor said that this isn't because of this birth control), and I am 36. I have had heart palpitations, weight gain, anxiety, and major mood swings at times.”

Anonymous November 3, 2010

“I am about 2 1/2 months into Seasonique and have had medium bleeding for the last 11 days. Also my hands are swollen and joints in them hurt like crazy. Doctor said he is switching me as I shouldn't be bleeding this much/long and it may not be strong enough for me. 1st month went fine though and I only was late by 3 hours on ONE pill. If you are trying these out make sure to take your pills ON TIME every night!”

Anonymous September 25, 2010

“I started Seasonique 7 days ago and have experienced nausea, dizziness, anxiety and an overall sick feeling. I am now going to try Lo-Seasonique to see if that is any better.”

Anonymous August 5, 2010

“I am in my third month of taking this, and absolutely love it. The first two weeks I had headaches and slight nausea, so I switched taking it at night. So if you try this don't give up, it went away for me. I don't have mood swings, which I did before taking. I don't feel like I get bloated either. I've had some slight bleeding at the end of my second month, but doctor said that was normal that my body has to get used to the pill. Love the fact I don't have heavy periods anymore. I would recommend it. Looking forward to not having a period every month. My mood is stable and I feel happy. As far as acne goes, I can say it's not giving me any problems.”

cramp free! August 2, 2010

“I've now been using Seasonique for a year and I've been completely happy and unbelievably satisfied with this product. I have endometriosis so when my period came before I was on birth control it was dreadfully painful for the three to five days while I was on my period. I tried Yaz and it only made my periods regular, then I tried NuvaRing and that actually made my cramps worse and lasted for an entire week. After that I did tons of research and decided to try Seasonique. And for the past year I have only had maybe 2 hours worth of cramps the entire time. During the second refill I only blotted a little, but overall every symptom that follows endometriosis has disappeared! I highly recommend Seasonique. It's fantastic!”

pbowens June 16, 2010

“I have been taking this pill since April. I have two weeks to go before I should start my cycle. However, I have been bleeding everyday since my second week of taking this pill. I plan to stop after this Saturday; I am tired of bleeding for 3 months. I will try another method for my endometriosis.”

Poogaloog May 29, 2010

“I'm on my third week of my first month of Seasonique. Cons: Heavy breasts which comes and goes but the sensitive hurting nipples is what drives me crazy. It's been a bit better in this past week. The first couple of days I had really mild nausea but that's long gone. Pros: My complexion cleared up significantly, my acne has severely decreased. Unlike with other month to month birth controls I don't feel bloated or heavy. My appetite has increased (this is good because I need to gain weight and previously had very bad eating habits).”

Learn more about Endometriosis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)