User Reviews for Seasonique to treat Birth Control

Seasonique Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Seasonique

"So, I was on this birth control from 2014-2017 and I LOVED it. I went through many trial & errors before finding that this medication didn’t cause me any awful side effects. Others I tried I became secretly nauseous to the point of not being able to keep anything down, light headedness, headaches. I raved and raved about this birth control! My doctor recommended that I stop due to an auto immune disease that I was suspected to have, I stopped for one year and recently got back on it and just finished my first three months. This time was a completely different experience for me and I am SO confused. Terrible spotting, ACNE, (I have never had acne in my life) spotting heavily, along with a heavy period, which is why I am on this BC to begin with primarily. I realized that the manufacture is Mylan, and before I don’t know exactly what brand but it was in a bright green case, and those worked great for me. Can’t figure out what manfacturer that was or if it makes a difference."

Chancexo (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 23, 2019

"After being on Seasonale, and later Seasonique, for 10 years, I’ve developed a 13cm lesion on my liver - a Hepatic Adenoma. I need surgery plus months of recovery off of work. A quick google search showed me that other have experienced the same and one woman sued (and won). I feel betrayed by this company. I am going to lose my home over this."

Sad&Angry (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2019

"After being on seasonique for two years and liking it very much I suffered a stroke. I am only 43 years old, with no history of high blood pressure in my family, I weigh 120 pounds and am I’m good shape. Luckily I am familiar with the symptoms of stroke and caught it before severe damage was done. Nonetheless I spent two weeks in the ICU and additional time in the neurological wing of the hospital. I advise caution and constant monitoring of your blood pressure if you take this medication."

Lily (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2019

"I’ve been taking seasonique going on 5 years now. I originally got on it to try and help clear up my skin. 6 months later I started taking medication from my dermatologist to treat my acne and it was cured by that treatment I believe, but the bc could have helped it as well. The first 3 months I bled every day so that sucked but after that I regulated and as long as I took it at the same time every day I had a period every 3 months that lasted 3-4 days when I was previously used to 7 day periods. The only thing that really was awful about this pill is that it killed my sex drive after about 3 1/2 - 4 years of being on the pill which obviously took a toll on my relationship so I’m on the last pack and switching to sprintec."

Nat (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2019

"I've been on this birth control for about a year, and I like it just fine. It can be so hard to find a birth control that is right for you! This one is great because you only have to have a period every three months! I've read a few reviews that say they skip the sugar pills and forego having a period. I've tried that twice and both times I had a ton of breakthrough bleeding and basically had my period anyway. Maybe it's different for everyone. I have started getting migraines occasionally lately, which isn't normal for me. I think this may be a side effect of this pill that is fairly common. Other than that, the pill has worked really well for me! It doesn't make me gain weight, which was an issue for me with other pills."

LostinWA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2018

"Not a perfect BC for me. Instead of having no period for 3 months I'm bleeding for last month and half. Not heavily but need a pad. No weight gain or anything like that tho. I prefer to have 3-5 days period every month than month and half light period. It's insane."

Miljana stevanovic (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2018

"I've been on it for a week now and it's made so sick I feel nauseas all the time and sickly. It makes me hungry all the time. It's honestly terrible I will definitely be changing bc"

Indi November 5, 2018

"Honestly this pill is great for me. In the past every BC I tried made me sick on the first week of taking pills after the end of my period every month. With seasonique I never got nausea the first weeks in the night. I have not gained any weight, my sex drive has not been effected (as I’ve seen other comments mentioned it was effecting theirs). The fact I only get my period 4 times a year makes me forget I even have a period half the time although it is true if you skip a day you do get your spotting/period. Other than that the only thing I can say is I have noticed more darker hairs around my chin and jaw area but not sure if it’s the pill itself."

Bree October 10, 2018

"Not the best. 2 week long random periods in the middle of each pack. Lots of cramps and spotting. Weight gain and bloating."

Emery (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

"I've actually been on seasonique for 10 years. I got on seasonique when I was 10 (because of bad cramps and ovarian cysts). Now I am 20 and I am still on this birth control! I choose to skip over the sugar pills to not have a period, and not once ever have I had random bleeding. I haven't had any acne in 10 years and have not experienced any hormonal issues. Also it has kept me from getting knocked up which is the best part."

Lyssa (taken for 10 years or more) October 4, 2018

"READ IF YOURE CONSIDERING GOING ON SEASONIQUE! I started BC to help with the cramping from my ovarian cyst, heavy period flow and cystic acne. After getting used to Seasonique I was in love! My skin cleared up! And a period 4 times a year! I was so happy until now, a year later. Acne is coming back, periods are coming a week early, AND I'VE GAINED 30 POUNDS! I've always been a skinny girl, good appetite, and fast metabolism. I am 5'5 was 110lbs and now I am 141lbs. Gaining this much weight in a year has ruined me mentally but also physically. I have big purple stretch marks on my armpits ,back, hips, butt, thighs, inner thighs and some coming on my calves. I've tried working out, counting calories, changing my diet and continue to gain weight.I'm devastated. to top things off I was getting it for free but can no longer get free samples so I pay $85CA when others pay nothing for birth control. I am so impatient to be going on a new BC"

cas (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2018

"Worst bc ever. I bled for 3 months on and off until I stopped taking them. Somedays I was spotting, some days heavy bleeding, they also caused bloating ,low sex drive ,and painful swollen breasts"

vee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

"Amazing! I'm fine with this pill! Before I used Naomi but it gave me side effects like spotting, this has the same chemical component (I do not know if it's the specific term) but with a higher dosage ... I do not understand all these negative opinions that scared me in the beginning, but it's perfect on me. Absolutely recommended. I write from Italy and here the fact of not having menstruation for 3 months is seen as unnatural so it is not widespread but really good if you overcome these prejudices."

Mary (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

"The worse birth control ever! I've been having break through bleeding almost every day for 15 days so far."

Anonymous May 28, 2018

"Keep the Faith! My first 6 weeks was pure misery. Constantly bloated, crying, never ending period. Had it for the whole first 6 weeks. I called my Doctor after the first month, begging her to change my BC, but she asked for me to finish out the 3 months. I'm so happy I did, as SOON as the 6th week, all side affects faded away. I am no longer emotionally all over the place, sex drive has returned. No bleeding or even spotting. Yay!!! I was scared reading the reviews, so I wanted to post that it did change for me. Hope this helps !"

Kaate April 19, 2018

"I don't recommend taking this at all! This completely messed up my body the few months I was taking it. If you think not having your period is a good idea think again!"

Ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018

"I took this pill because I wanted fewer and lighter periods. I have had no side effects when I take it properly. I did not experience any weight gain and my sexual drive was not affected. However, like with any pill, misusing it has consequences. There have been times where I have forgotten to take with me on trips and the cramping was unpleasant and usually resulted in light spotting. That’s pretty much par for the course, though. Wish it was cheaper."

Zed (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2018

"After taking this medication I suffered Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST = blood clot in my brain) and stoke. I am 35 years old was on birth control since 15 was on the depo shot most of the time after having my kids I decided to take this oral contraceptives. And now I suffer a huge brain clot I’m on blood thinners being monitored weekly, was hospitalized for weeks and looking at a year or more recovery. Please be careful what you put into your body I learned the hard way. Always thinking that won’t happen to me and it did."

Kristymac (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2018

"Getting on this BC has been the worst decision of my life. I never had any issues with my previous BC but I wanted to switch to something that I would only have to get refilled every 3 months and that would eliminate me from having periods all together. The first 3 weeks were ok. I had cramping but nothing too major then the 4th week came and all hell broke loose. I only have 2 more weeks left of the 3 pack and I've been on my period for the last 6 weeks!!!!! For a BC thats supposed to eliminate you from having a period this is insanity. I hate this stuff and wouldn't recommend anyone getting on it."

J (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

"I’ve been on this for 2.5 years so far. I started this about 8 months after I stopped smoking cigarettes so regardless I gained a bunch of weight back and I think seasonique and my other medicine (for sleep) is what is keeping me from not getting back to my skinnier self. The effects of this is worth it to me though, not getting my period for 2.5 months, then the last 3 weeks I begin to spot (only needing a liner) and then get my period the last week. I used to deal with extreme cramps to the point of me sweating hunched over in pain, I began this and have felt 1000x better during my period. I still get cramps of course but they are nothing compared to what I used to go through every month. I also have much lower libido than when I was 3 years younger but this medication has worked well for me enough that the pros outweigh the cons."

Delia (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2018

"Stopped taking Seasonique in August 2017. Have only had one period for 2 days. Also, started passing stones while on Seasonique. The stones are made up of blood and cells and do not SHOW up on any imaging. Have been to specialists and they do not know where they are coming from. Very bad drug."

Sue (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2018

"The first 1.5 packs of this pill I had a little bit of breakthrough bleeding at the end of each month, but as time has gone by, this has stopped. I do get moody around the 4th week mark of each month, but thats normal for me. I've also been getting migraines, and have gained around 25lbs which is very abnormal for me. ALTHOUGH with time, these side effects have been improving and I've found ways to reverse them. When I first started taking this pill, I was really tempted to give up as I was extremely moody all of the time, had literally ZERO libido and terrible migraines every single day. These things subsided within the first month, and I found ways to improve the negative effects (personal lubricant, taking 5HTP). Ultimately I'm glad I stuck with it because its totally worth it to only have my period 4 times per year (and it also only lasts about 3 days now, albeit with bad cramping). PS: CBD oil helped me a lot with the migraines!"

JM February 26, 2018

"I've been on the Teva pill for a week and so far I've been experiencing nausea, cramps, headaches, and general fatigue. I told myself I'd give it a month because it was intended to help me with my bad menstrual cycle, but I don't know if I'll be able to go on like this. I can barely function. I've been experiencing waves of depression too. If I continue to use it, I'll give an update, but it isn't looking so great right now."

CasmiraaOB (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2018

"Seasonique is the worst BC I’ve ever encountered. Being on this pill for two years was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. I’ve never had problems with BC in my life so didn’t correlate my crippling anxiety (never had before in my life), exhaustion, and depression to this medicine. I’m 3 weeks off if it and still dealing with the side effects. Thus should be pulled from the pharmacies. Very damaging to women’s health!"

Anonymous December 24, 2017

"I got on this medicine because who doesn't like the idea of fewer periods. I must say it was great at first. When I was at the end my cycle came on for 3 days very light and was gone. Fast forward to 4 years on this pill.... I am 30 pounds heavier (thought I was being lazy and need to stop my cheat meals) I have gone to 3 different doctors to figure out why my HAIR IS FALLING OUT IN CHUNKS. My beautiful healthy hair was falling more and more by the day. I was tested for Thyroids, low Vit D, PCOS.. you name it! All came test came back fine. Low and behold I get online and google Seasonique and hair loss and I was horrified!!! I stopped mid pack and threw this medicine in the garbage!! I have pain down my arm and my chest too DON'T TAKE THIS"

LittleMsLady (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2017