User Reviews for Levonorgestrel to treat Birth Control

Also known as: Mirena, Plan B One-Step, Kyleena, Liletta, Skyla, PostDay One-Step, My Way, Take Action, Morning After, New Day, Aftera, AfterPill, Option 2, AfterPlan, BionaFem, Athentia Next, EContra One-Step, My Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Preventeza, React EContra EZ Fallback Solo Opcicon One-Step …show all brand names

Levonorgestrel has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 5074 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 53% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Levonorgestrel Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Mirena IUD April 1, 2009

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I have had my IUD for over a year now and I think it's the best thing ever. When I first got it put in I only bled for about a week with a little cramping. After that nothing at all. I haven't had a period for about 8months until I finally got one, and its not bad at all. It's light, no cramping, no headache, nothing. I haven't gained weight, my acne is gone, and my moods are fine. I know all women are different, but I just hear all these horror stories and I just wanted to tell my story, which is a good one. Hope it calms some of your fears.”

lisalor1 December 21, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I wanted to come back here and write a review because before I got the Mirena I was reading all of these, although aware that people are more inclined to write about their horror stories rather than their happy stories. So here is my happy story! I was using the ring for a couple years before I tried Mirena. The ring made me miserable, hormonal, moody, irregular. I was very depressed from the fluctuating hormones. In comes Mirena. The Mirena has been the best choice I have ever made for myself. It is true what all my friends and reviewers say. I do not feel hormonal or moody. In fact I feel much more balanced! My skin does break out at times but I will happily take that over what I was experiencing before. My periods have stopped and I sometimes pms about a week before what WOULD be my period, but it is very mild and manageable. Sooo happy with my Mirena!!! I was scared just like you and it was the best choice I made for myself.”

Cocochannell · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

Kyleena (levonorgestrel): “Soo I first I want to start off saying that the worst thing you can possibly do is read medical reviews.... YES we all do it but it is a terrible decision. I got my Kyleena IUD placed on January 15th , the night before I read numerous reviews and almost backed out. I was so scared of the daunting reviews. BUT I still went to my appointment. I can say that getting the IUD implanted was painful and slightly uncomfortable , BUT manageable. Since getting it I had little to no spotting for three days. I also had cramps for about four consecutive days BUT the cramps can last longer, mine are off and on periodically. I also have slight acne but nothing crazy. Overall I am having a great experience so far I will definitely keep up with writing reviews because I do believe that the only people who take the time out to write reviews are the people who are unhappy with the Kyleena but I can attest that the Kyleena was the best decision I could’ve made ! I recommend!”

Heath September 5, 2020

Liletta (levonorgestrel): “I previously had the Mirena and loved it. My Gyn said they switched to Liletta and it would be the same experience. WRONG! I’ve gained 10+ lbs & am constantly bloated. I’m more active & have a better diet than I’ve ever ever had. My skin looks like I’m going through puberty. I’m omitting a smell that is god awful. I have no energy, no libido, constant mood swings, reflux, nausea and I just feel like an alien in my own body. I chalked it up to turning 30 this year coupled with the weirdness that COVID has brought, but in the back of my mind I’ve known there is something wrong beyond that. I’m so glad I found this forum and know that these changes are caused by the IUD. I would rather manage periods then become a different person like I have been. Everyone is different but for me there is a HUGE difference between the Mirena & Liletta IUD and I cannot wait to get this thing removed & get back to being myself.”

CoffeeCatz · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “Hi sisters. This is my review only of the insertion, as I just had the Mirena put in 2 hours ago. Before the appointment, I took the recommended Motrin, Ativan (to calm my nerves) and the medication that softens your cervix, which my gyno was kind enough to prescribe for me to hopefully make the insertion process smoother. The entire process took no more than 5 minutes. It felt like a slightly longer pap exam, with more pressure than usual. I didn’t cramp, I didn’t yelp in pain, and I didn’t pass out or feel sick. What got me through my anxiety was taking deep breaths. It was not excruciating as I expected it to be, since I have never given birth (I’m 40, btw). Here’s hoping this device works for me and agrees with my body. I had been on the pill for over 20 years, and I look forward to not having to take them every day. I’ll report back in a few months with an update. Good luck to all of you ladies. Do what is best for you.”

Anonymous May 7, 2010

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I have had this for about 5 months now.. I had NO IDEA others were going through the same things I am... I am tired, moody and have gained about 25 lbs.. I have been working out more and couldn't figure out what was going on until now. I am dry during sex, not in the mood most of the time. Acne has been pretty bad, didn't know why that was either (don't usually have acne). For a few weeks now my body feels like it is pregnant. The moods, tired, etc.... but all tests say not pregnant. It makes me uncomfortable to have so many things going on.”

Anonymous October 1, 2008

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I love my Mirena. I've recommended it to several friends. I'm 43 and have 2 kids and wanted something to simplify my life. Insertion was not at all painful or even uncomfortable. I had some spoting continuously for about 3 weeks, but since then I haven't had my period (2 years). I have no side effects at all, and I love NOT getting my period. No cramping, mood swings, PMS, heavy bleeding, not to mention all the dollars saved on NOT buying outrageously expensive tampons and pads. I have never been so happy with a product of this nature. Much better than the pill and that awful sponge, messy diaphragm and horrid condoms!”

Coco September 7, 2021

Kyleena (levonorgestrel): “I have seen a ton of 10 star reviews from girls who made the review a week after getting it inserted. Please give it more time until you leave a review because the side effects come in the long term. I had the Kyleena for 2 years and at first I convinced myself I loved it but I was so wrong. The insertion was god awful and inhumane. After insertion I had my period for 90 days straight. A few months went by and I loved the IUD but then the real side effects started coming. I became extremely irritable and had terrible mood swings and has suicidal thoughts. I became depressed, had horrible insomnia, had trouble concentrating and really bad brain fog. I gained a lot of weight despite eating the same amount and my boobs grew 2 sizes and when I got the IUD they deflated and now look horrible. I got an ovarian cyst, had bacterial vaginosis, uterine spasms and cramps so bad I would scream. The doctor cut my strings too short so I had to pay $3000 out of pocket to get it surgically removed.”

OB Nurse October 22, 2009

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I am an OB nurse, married with two children ages six and three. I chose the Mirena after suffering severe migraines on the pill. I interviewed several OB doctors at my job and my pregnant patients about their form of birth control prior to their pregnancy and decided to give the Mirena a try.I had the Mirena inserted in early May. Insertion process was very painful.It reminded me much of mild labor contractions. After the insertion, I had mild cramps for the remainder of the day. For three weeks thereafter, I experience light spotting and wore a pantyliner. For the next four months, I would spot beginning the same day each month for a week followed by a regular light period two weeks after the spotting subsided. It is now five months after insertion and I did spot for less time but no period came. Rather, I experience symptoms of bloating and increased appetite as if my period is going to start but without the period. I am most happy to report NO migraines and I lost weight! My mood and libido has remained the same. I cannot feel the string I was instructed to check for monthly, and no complaints from my husband. I did experience some hair loss and noticed my complexion is not as clear, but overall, I am satisfied with the Mirena and recommend woman to try it especially if you want a low maintenance birth control method.”

Justjessica · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I have issues with hormones any time I have been pregnant or been on birth control I get every bad side effect possible. I was hopeful for this one. I had it in for a month and had severe headaches, cystic acne (literally all over my face & no wash would make it go away) constantly felt light headed/dizzy, nauseous, zero sex drive, horrible mood swings, my period lasted 12 days and I was constantly bleeding, horrible stomach pains randomly when I moved certain ways. This medication made my anxiety & depression worse. So bad that I couldn’t be around my 4 year old son because I’d get so anxious if have a panic attack. One day at three weeks of having it in I had such a bad panic attack over literally nothing I had to lay down in a dark room with a fan on me, got so worked up I passed out. Do your research there are a lot of harmful things that can happen when being on the Mirena IUD that they don’t tell you at the doctor. Do your research!!!”

Shell June 6, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I got the Mirena IUD placed 7 weeks after my second son was born. I heard good things about it from the girls I worked with. They told me they loved it. Placement was pretty painful, even though I just have birth 7 weeks Prior to it. I bled constantly for 2 in a half months After that the bleeding only happened when my monthly flow was coming. When it came it was pretty heavy and would last 7-8 days. My periods were right on schedule monthly . Then I started feeling fatigue, anxiety, massive mood swings, depression, insomnia. I had to push myself to get out of bed and take care of my children. Around month 9 I started getting blurred vision. I had blurred vision when I was on the pill after my first child was born. I knew it was the IUD causing all this. I had it removed 2 days ago. Spotted a little after removal. But now have a full on heavy flow. My mood has changed a lot already. I’m calmer like I used to be. Not 100% back to myself yet, but removing it was the best thing I did.”

Anonymous June 21, 2009

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I'm 22 years old and have two little boys. My husband says he hopes to one day have a girl so I figured 5 years should be enough time to decide. I got the Mirena last year and the only side effect I had was hair loss but I'm not quite sure if it was the Mirena or from just having another baby. But other than that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I have been reading all these reviews and they were almost all negative I was wondering if something was wrong with me. Since I got the Mirena last year I lost weight, no more cramps, lightened periods, and a better sex drive (probably because I don't have to worry if I'm going to get pregnant), I feel safe. So would I recommend the Mirena, YES.”

Melody April 8, 2021

Kyleena (levonorgestrel): “I had my IUD for 1 year and 9 months. The good part is I did not get my period much but of course I panic cause I always think I’m pregnant lol. Anyways, while using kyleena... my mood swings were crazy. I was super mean to my husband, I had severe depression and anxiety and acne . I gained so much weight with it and ITS SO HARD TO LOOSE WEIGHT WITH KYLEENA. Also vaginal dryness was awful, I constantly had yeast infection, tears, lost so much hair... and my sex drive decreased. Overall, I did not like it, I got it removed today I just couldn’t handle it anymore.”

Danee May 3, 2020

Kyleena (levonorgestrel): “I want to point out that people are more likely to leave a review if they had a negative experience so if it seems like the amount bad reviews are overwhelming, this is why. I’ve only had the Kyleena for a couple of weeks but I can say that it has been a BREEZE. I was so nervous about getting it because of the pain horror stories; My doc prescribed low dose Xanax and some misoprostol. I took half of a Xanax and some ibuprofen before my visit and I’d say on a pain scale 4/10. Very bearable. Cramped hard for 30 seconds, then mildly for about 4 hours intermittently after I got home. These cramps were so mild it was almost not noticeable. That’s it. The only thing I have noticed is that I get mild dizzy spells here and there but a) it’s a normal side effect that is extremely bearable b) it will wear off in time and c) it beats out of most birth control side effects or, ya know, children. If you’re on the fence at least give it a try- it might be perfect for you”

JM August 20, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I have had the Mirena in for for nearly 2 years. Was ok for first few months odd cramp here and there. 6 months after insertion got my first (of many) bacterial infections. Cramps, pain during sex, brown smelly discharge. Always cleared up with flagyl and cream. I can’t even count how many I have had since then. It’s awful. I have 0 sex drive which makes my partner and me feel awful. Every time I get spotting always puts fear in me that it could be something more sinister which always escalates my anxiety. Have made an appointment to get it removed, as I can't live like this anymore.”

TJ June 3, 2019

Liletta (levonorgestrel): “I'm sharing for those of you considering! I'll start by saying EVERYONE'S BODY IS DIFFERENT! Especially with online reviews, I notice that people (as per human nature) tend to share their negative experiences and rarely do so when it's positive. I spent HOURS reading reviews online for all different kinds of IUD's... and it scared the hell out of me! Horror story after horror story and I psyched myself up so much fearing that I would be one of them. My experience was AMAZING! I give massive credit to my doctor - it's all about the expertise and skill of how it's put in. 800 mg of ibuprofen few hours before. 2/10 scale of pain/the mildest cramp during insertion. Drove home. Forgot about it a day later. Only light spotting and no other side effects. 3 weeks post insertion, I'm feeling so great! Trust YOUR body and don't comparing it to anyone else's and "what could be." I know I did, and I wish I hadn't.... :) Best of luck!!!!!”

S · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “The Mirena seemed like a great option for me as I had negative experiences with other forms of birth control. Insertion was fine but I had severe cramping for a few days after. My moods were up and down for the first few months and I wanted to have it removed but my doctor recommended to try it for 6 months. It has now been 6 months and my mental health is the worst it has ever been. I'm constantly on the verge of tears and cannot cope with everyday life. I have a history of anxiety but I've never felt this low. I would not recommend the Mirena if you are sensitive to other birth controls (pill, implanon). I still have bad cramps on the Mirena and my periods are heavier. Can't wait to have it removed!”

Mama2929 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2019

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I had the Mirena placed three months ago. The insertion was painful, I won’t fabricate that, but it only lasted at most 12 seconds and it was over. I took both Tylenol and Advil before my appointment and that seemed to help a bit. The more uncomfortable/painful cramping lasted less than 24 hours after my appointment. I took the day off of work which I am glad I did. The first 2/3 weeks after I had it placed I had no bleeding or spotting. I had medium spotting for 2 months on and off after, I just usually wore a liner. Bleeding lasted a few days and would be inconsistent. The third month the spotting was extremely light and would occur 1-2x per week. My hormones seem to be actually really well balanced. I experienced some neck acne for the first 2 months but that did subside. I haven’t gained or lost any weight. My sex drive is unchanged. I’ve read plenty of horror stories on the internet in regards to this method, so I thought I would throw in a positive one.”

Callie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I am a nurse practitioner working in women's health, so I thought I knew what to expect when I had my Mirena placed 3 months ago. I was WRONG! I have had bleeding every single day since insertion - occasionally just spotting but most days I have light-to-moderate bleeding like the final couple days of a period. I do not have cramps, and I have had an ultrasound to ensure proper device placement. I know that irregular bleeding is common in the first few months of use, but I did not expect the bleeding to be this persistent or this heavy. I am going to give it a few more months to see if the bleeding resolves; if it does not, I may have to get the Mirena removed.”

delainegirl August 9, 2009

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I'm 27 years old and the mother of two boys. I had the Mirena inserted one and a half years ago. The insertion was fine, mild cramping, but for the last year and a half I have experienced depression, bad acne, weight gain of about ten kilos, mood swings. Six months ago once my periods stopped altogether the symptoms got worse. I began having stomach cramps, nausea on most days, painful breasts and diminished libido and when it was supposed to be that time of the month my abdomen would bloat. I had Mirena removed last week and feel like a new person. I'm already losing weight and all the other symptoms have vanished.”

Anonymous September 24, 2010

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “First off, I was 25 and childless. I had tried the pill, but I am a poor forgetful soul, and that was unacceptable. The patch left an icky mark that hurt my skin. I am married so we are beyond condoms. My Mirena insertion, a year and a half ago, was somewhat painful, so I took a nap. I had some cramps for the first two weeks, probably due to getting used to the hormones in the IUS. My first cycle afterward, the blood seemed thin and only lasted a few days. I have not had a period since. I really like Mirena because it's easy and I don't have to think about it. My sex drive is still great, and I don't have to pay every month for birth control. I just wanted to explain all of the side effects I experienced so others could be informed.”

yay June 26, 2020

Kyleena (levonorgestrel): “So naturally, I read so many of these reviews before getting the Kyleena inserted. I was so nervous about the pain. My gyn prescribed me Cytotec (uterus softener) to take earlier that day with Ibuprofen. I want to put a positive review in here and say insert went AMAZING. After reading these reviews I thought it would feel like a dagger! Instead, and I don't know if I should attribute this to the medicine or my amazing gyn, but it felt like a cramp, which lasted for 1 sec. I didn't believe her at first when she said she put it in because I was expecting the worst. A few mild cramps spaced out through the day afterwards (a side effect of the medicine as well), no bleeding yet. I will update once I've been on it longer but I am STOKED. I am sorry for those who experienced bad insert/side effects, but if you really want to get this IUD don't put it off due to the negative reviews. And maybe ask your gyn about Cytotec. See for yourself, everyone is different. You can always take it out :)”

Kate · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel): “Wish I had done it sooner!!! I was one of those anti-iud people to the core before going on Kyleena. I had just heard way too many horror stories and was way too nervous about possible side effects to get one. After my last birth control stopped working for me I finally made the IUD plunge and boy do I wish I had done it years ago! My biggest fears were weight gain (I’ve since lost weight) and hormonal acne (little to none). The only side effect I really had was spotting for about a month after getting it in place. I’ve since stopped getting my period all together and can’t be happier. The insertion was not bad at all! I just wanted to post this because I know there are so many scary reviews, but I’m here to say that most people who are happy with it aren’t reviewing it! It’s been great to me and everyone else I know who is on it!”

Nickyb13 June 10, 2021

Liletta (levonorgestrel): “I had Liletta inserted after my last baby. The dr told me it was the same as Mirena but it is NOT. I didn’t have any problems with Mirena but 3 months after Liletta insertion I got Telogen Effluvium and lost a lot of hair. (More pp shedding than I have EVER experienced.) I gained weight and my libido is completely GONE! My hair is continuing to fall out. I had my hormone levels checked via twice and my estrogen level has dropped so low that it barely registers on the charts. My dr told me that could be from the Liletta suppressing my estrogen (and progesterone) production. Those are two VERY important hormones for a woman, especially for hair growth, skin, nails, etc. Nothing like having a birth control that basically puts you into a menopausal state LONG before you are due for that. After having this awful device in me for 14 months I am finally getting it removed tomorrow! I do NOT recommend Liletta to anyone and do NOT let your doctor tell you it is the exact same thing a Mirena.”

proBC · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 14, 2019

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “Just wanted to share my experience because I think it is really important to add that more often than not people post negative reviews rather than positive because they find it more necessary. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the reason I am posting my review. Please if you are considering birth control talk with your health care provider about what is best for your individual need. Anyways, I got the Mirena about 2 and a half years ago and I have NEVER looked back. I recommend it to all of my girlfriends. Yes there is some discomfort upon insertion but I haven't had my period in 2 and a half years! The amount of money and time and honestly just stress and emotions that I've saved make up for it ten-fold. I also did not gain weight, didn't get acne, and just overall have forgotten I've even had it. No period and no unwanted pregnancy with no side effects, I really couldn't think of a better scenario. I highly recommend if it's something you've been considering.”