User Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe

Learn more about Lo Loestrin Fe.

Lo Loestrin Fe Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe to treat Birth Control

"Terrible. Broke out in really bad acne (five pimples on my face) within a week of taking it (I normally have very clear skin). Skin in general has become an oil slick. Much more emotional than usual and started crying at a concert after two drinks. Hungrier than normal - I think about food a lot and I've already gained a few lbs. Fell asleep one night without taking my pill. By the time I woke up my period had started and I proceeded to spot for the next week despite religiously continuing to take my pill at the exact same time. I quit. This sucks. On the plus side, I'm sure that this works well as birth control. I am unlikely to get pregnant as I am broken out, puffy, emotional and continuously on my period! Thanks, Lolo!"

Dlle (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recently switched from Junel Fe 1/20 to this birth control (free sample from Gyno) and I'm switching back to Junel Fe 1/20 ASAP. Lo Loestrin Fe has caused me to gain about 10-15 lbs and I've only been on it a month. I constantly feel bloated, hungry, and my breasts felt huge. I have also started losing my hair because of this birth control. It caused me to have horrible mood swings...it was like I was PMSing the entire month I was on it. Please stay clear of this birth control."

gjames90 August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I'm on my first pack in my 2nd row bleeding still my doc say I just started so give it time I just wanna stop bleeding, my boobs are sore, other then that haven't notice any other side affects. Yet I do have some light cramping in my uterus. Can someone help me should I give it a chance since it's my first pack or give up"

Ashash August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first started taking this birth control, it was great. My periods stopped and I only had some spotting the first month or so. About two-three months in though, I felt like it made me lose my sex drive a lot and had no libido. On top of this, I noticed I had a lot of vaginal dryness - even before having sex - and this made doing anything sexual not that pleasurable. I also gained a few pounds after beginning the pill. I didn't experience any change in my acne though, as it is a possible side effect of this particular birth control."

Lillian18 August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this BC at 17 and just went off of it a few months ago at age 19 to one that would help my skin. BIG MISTAKE. I did not realize how great Lo Loestrine fe was until I was on a new one. I experienced virtually no side effects - other than not getting a period whatsoever, even the first pack, which I loved. Other than that I felt absolutely no different, and while I'm sad it didn't help my skin at all, I'm starting to think that moderate acne is pretty small in comparison to all the negative side effects I have on my new pill. I think I will be switching back to LoLo"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is THE BEST birth control I've come across. I'm seriously blown away. I have had zero mood swings--- even near my period, I had break through bleeding the first month and that was it, my periods are already so light and I'm only on the third month, my face cleared right up and has been less oily, I've lost weight... I'm on cloud nine. I have never had this well of an experience on birth control as I'm very sensitive to medications."

ArielPry August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I started taking Lo Loestrin Fe it was great. It cleared up my skin, I didn't get pregnant, I didn't have any periods, it was AWESOME. About 3 months into it I started seeing a major decrease in my sex drive, I was extremely moody and depressed, my husband and I fought pretty much on a daily basis... needless to say I stopped taking it after my annual prescription ran out. I only took it because our insurance covered the entire cost. But after seeing the effects it had on, not just me but, my marriage, I refuse to ever take this medication again. I HATE this birth control and I wouldn't recommend anyone taking it."

KristaPitcher22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only on it two months and its ruined my life. First month was horrible. Bad cystic acne (never had acne before this in my life) on my forehead and horrible mood swings. Then I got use to the hormones and those symptoms went away. End of my second month I lost tons of hair. I'm talking clumps would fall out. Then came the bald spots I freaked and quit the pill that day. Now I have to use rogaine and take tons of supplements to treat my hair. My hair was healthy, not chemically touched, long, and full. Now its patchy, thin, has broken off, it looks horrible. I had to cut my hair to hide a huge bald patch right where some if my bangs use to be!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 20 years old and I have been on this for over a year now. I tried other birth control pills before this one, but the estrogen levels were way too high (my boobs got bigger and I got extremely moody). Lo-loestrin was so much better! Since it has such a small dose of both hormones, I haven't noticed any negative side effects. The first couple of months I had dark, sticky discharge (especially during menstration time); however, since then I have not had a period. My gynecologist says this is okay at my age and not something to worry about. Overall I am very happy with this birth control."

Kdot23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok so I've been on it for 6 months two years ago and I felt really confused, disoriented and fuzzy... So now I went on this birth control again and the SAME THING. Now I know what its from - its this birth control. I feel really weird at work I would get in this state where I'm just confused and I'm always sooo tired on it. Other than that it would have been a great pill to stay on because it didn't make me gain or lose weight and my periods were much lighter. Anyone else feel like this though? I'm going to stop taking it today"

julia96 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this for two months and was extremely moody, spotted and had cramps for two and a half weeks, randomly would get tension headaches, very low energy and had extremely low self esteem. Had gained weight from college but it was very hard to lose on this birth control. This is the second birth control I have been on and it didn't effect my acne (didn't improve it or make it worse). I'm hoping to take YAZ and it'll be better"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this pill for 6 years. Love it! Originally went on it because I had irregular, heavy and very painful periods. Being on the pill eliminated my period to light spotting every other month, got rid of acne, no other side effects. Absolutely recommend it to every woman!:)"

D.P.4 July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I originally asked my doctor for a birth control pill with the least amount of hormones because I did not want my period to completely stop. I have always had very irregular and heavy periods. She said this would make them lighter and more regular. Over the course of a year, this pill made my periods almost inexistent. I would get it maybe once every 4 months and usually only lasted a day. My sex drive was gone. I gained 60 pounds even thought I never really had much of an appetite. I was depressed and anxious all the time. The only good thing about it was it cleared up my skin. I use Junel Fe now but I still have similar side effects so I'm going to talk to my doctor about switching again :("

Elybear July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this birth control for almost two months now. I'm 20 y/o and this is the third contraceptive I have tried and it's worked the best so far!! I've had terrible side effects to every birth control method I have tried. And so far the only problem with this one is the acne. I have always had mild acne growing up but it eventually went away. I've noticed since starting my first pack the acne has started coming back. But compared to how badly my body has reacted to other methods, this is nothing. So far a great choice for me!!"

KK2020 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"1) It prevented me from getting pregnant. 2) The ultimate horror side effect was that sex felt like hornet stings and my vaginal wall tore from sex. Medieval torture. 3) The only time I had an inkling of sex drive was when I took the iron pill and had a black slimey discharge in place of a period that gave my boyfriend a super bad UTI. Swamp death. 4) Psychologically I became aggressive and then despondent then aggressive again. Inconsolable demon creature. 5) All of this crept up a little less than 2 years in. In the beginning a lot of break through bleeding and swollen tender uterus feeling. OBGYN treated me like a problem. I was crying a lot. New Dr. said my genitals had atrophied. Took a year to get normal periods back."

Nrthrhlghts (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was switched from Trinessa to this pill due to an increase in migraines which I've struggled with in the past. I was worried about the decrease in estrogen and how it would affect me. Roughly a week and a half on this pill, I lost my appetite, felt very nauseous, and became extremely bloated with terrible constipation. I felt this way almost all the way up to my period. I also experienced strange sensations in my arms and legs like weakness and shoots of pain and also experienced headaches. My mind felt very fuzzy which is not normal for me at all. I still experienced PMS cramps and back pain right before my period. I would not recommend this pill at all! The only plus side was a shorter period."

Nshort16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on this birth control about 2 years ago and gradually gained about 20 pounds over the span of 4-6 months. No matter what I did, I could not lose it. My appetite had increased a lot and despite my efforts at the gym, I could not manage to get below 150 pounds. I went off it a month ago and I have already lost 8 pounds and my appetite has gone back to normal. I never had my period at all on this pill and I never experienced mood swings due to this pill. It reduced my breakouts, and it completely got rid of my cramping. I would not go on this pill again because of the weight gain but aside from that, it did what it was supposed to do. :)"

AbigailAnne July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this birth control about a week ago and 2 days. Today I will NOT ever be taking this pill again and calling my doctor come Monday morning. I took this pill after doing some research and seeing if maybe the cause of my severe depression and anxiety was hormonally related. My gynecologist didn't ask me any questions about my past hospitalizations due to suicidal thoughts/attempts. I read front and back this medication and only saw suicidal thoughts as side effects to the higher dose. Let me tell you this pill made everything 100% heightened. My anxiety has never been so bad. I took lexapro and trazedon together for 6 months and stopped because I couldn't function as a regular person. Talk with your psychiatrist & gyno before taking"

Hailey33 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this pill to make my periods lighter and clear up my acne. It made my periods VERY light, usually lasting less than one day of bleeding, and one day of light spotting. For acne it did wonders, but ONLY when taken with the antibiotic minocycline, together. Both medications on their own did not effect my acne, but when taken together they helped tremendously."

Amanda10482 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this birth control for 4 months and it has been great. I had breakthrough bleeding the first couple months but now I don't have any bleeding or period. I have lost 10 pounds because I don't have an appetite anymore so that is great! I weigh 160 pounds now so another 10 would be great. I am definitely staying on this pill"

Sk921 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken this pill for about six years now and it is a miracle worker. No periods, no side effects."

KatieBird77 July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So far so good. 25 y/o Previously tried Microgestin Fe 1.5 /30 earlier this year and did not enjoy effects of that. It has only been one week. I will update upon further time and if any side effects appear. I started one week after my miscarriage. I was 7 weeks. I do not want kids at this time but the emotional toll is still high. It has slowed down and almost stopped my bleeding which is great. SO FAR SO GOOD. I'll update at the 30 day time frame."

Jerica July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"THE WORST! My hair fell out, I was an emotional disaster, I made poor decisions and my brain felt fuzzy. What an awful time. My period didn't even come so I didn't know if I was pregnant or not. What a terrible drug. Hopefully I'll find something better next time."

LadyThing July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me lose around 30 percent of my hair. The hair I did have was thin and corse. No side effects other wise, but that was enough to scare me away. Most doctors don't inform you on how birth control can make you lose hair, but it certainly can."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill is great. I have been on it for nearly 4 years without any major problems. I started this pill solely because my bleeding was so heavy, I couldn't maintain my everyday routine when I was on my period. Now, I do not get a period whatsoever which is AMAZING. I have had no weight gain, no breakouts & no mood swings. The only drawback: low sex drive."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2017