User Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe

Learn more about Lo Loestrin Fe.

Lo Loestrin Fe Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe to treat Birth Control

"So I have read some reviews of this pill that are bad but my review will be great! I am on my 6th week taking this pill and I'm so happy! My sex drive is back! Acne is clearing! Period is gone lol it disappeared but oh well. (Not pregnant/took tests) Only cons I have were that I do get a tad emotional and cry and little things, I had brown spotting for 2 weeks when I first started it, no appetite,and A tiny bit of nausea"

Alissada (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

"I have been taking this medication for about a week now and my main purpose for it was to regulate and lighten my periods as well as help with acne. After 4 days of taking it, I kept waking up with really bad cramps and brown spotting which is really annoying. I feel bloated all the time and I experience really bad gas pain. I also have really bad headaches and felt nauseous everyday so far. I really hope all this stuff starts to subside and starts working."

Emily :) August 20, 2016

"I'm seeing so many negative reviews, and I understand everyone's bodies react differently, but I have ZERO complaints about this pill! I've been on it for almost a year now (was put on for heavy/painful periods and acne) and it solved all of my menstrual problems! I have not had a period since starting this pill which has been great for me considering how bad they were prior. my acne has cleared, I haven't had mood swings/weight gain etc! I couldn't be happier! 10/10!"

happy al (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2016

"Took it for about nine months and everything went smoothly. My heavy, horribly painful periods suddenly became lighter, shorter, less frequent and less painful. I even lost about 30 pounds while on the medication (I'd been trying to lose weight for years prior). However, I stopped taking it for about a month (had surgery and had to cease all medications), and when I got back on it, it was like a completely different drug. My period went back to being heavy and my cramps even worse than before, but this time it came with intense mood swings. I'm talking screaming/crying one minute, laughing the next. My advice: this is a good medication as long as you continue to take it and don't stop. The hormones will mess you up."

Ellye August 20, 2016

"I just started lolo 2 weeks ago and so far, I've gained a significant amount of weight. I have a fast metabolism so anything I eat gets shredded off the next day. On this birth control, I went from 100lbs to (currently) 112lbs. I will continue to stay on it to see if it'll balance out but if the weight increases more, I will be stopping."

Emily rod August 19, 2016

"The first time I went on birth control, the doctor gave me a one-month trial pack of this along with a prescription. I didn't have any problems or side effects. The only thing worth noting is that I basically never got my period on this, which can be worrisome for obvious reasons. But it never failed me, so I stopped worrying after awhile. I gained a true appreciation for this pill after a switch in job/insurance caused the price go up and I had to switch to a generic. There's no generic for this, so my doctor gave me what was supposed to be the most similar thing - Microgestin FE. So many side effects with that - moody/depressed/tired, acne, headaches, bloating, etc. So I went back to Lo Loestrin FE, it's worth the cost."

ElizabethDB (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2016

"I am 38 and have been taking Lo Loestrin for 12 months. I did not use any form of contraceptive prior. I started taking it because after 37 my period turned into an unrecognizable beast to the point of unbearable. Doctor said I was fine just getting older...Started LOLO. I did all the research and prepared myself for a horrible transition. It took about 4-5 weeks for my body to acclimate. I experienced fatigue, bloating, headaches, stomach aches, and gained 10 lbs. The side effects didn't all happen the entire time and they weren't severe so much as inconvenient. But knowing poss side effects did help me stick it out. SO GLAD I DID. All side effects gone. No add weight gain and period is back to NORMAL! use coupon for discount!!"

errickmann87 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2016

"I've just completed my first pack and for me so far so good. There's always so may negatives that I thought I'd do a positive... I was on the Mirena for 9 months - the worst (for me). I essentially bled/spotted for those 9 months, gained weight & had severe back acne, I'm surprised I held out that long. Had Mirena removed, along w/ a polyp and b/c of high BP, I'm on lolo. No nausea, headaches, bloating, mood swings at all. Only "issue" is some minor spotting for about 9 days. I'm pretty sure this is b/c I didn't know when my actual cycle was with Mirena so I just started lolo the day after my polyp removal. I'm guessing my body is just trying to figure itself out. I'm hopeful the spotting will stop and I'll be back to "normal" soon!"

NikkiEB (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"My doctor prescribed me Lo Loestrin when I was 15 to treat my heavy, irregular periods and cramps that would cause me to stay home from school/other obligations for days at a time. It worked perfectly for me for the 5+ years that I used it! My periods lightened and became extremely regular, and it worked as pregnancy prevention later as well. I didn't experience any abnormal weight gain, and it didn't affect my acne whatsoever (neither lightened it nor made it heavier). I would definitely recommend LLF!"

Melissa M. (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2016

"Had almost every side effect! Gained weight, very moody, my face and back broke out bad (which I usually never have), very tender breast, frequent headaches, tired. Was just NOT a good experience, after 3 1/2 months I couldn't take it anymore. Scared to try a different one now since how bad of an experience this was."

Carmen11192 August 4, 2016

"I am only 7 days into this birth control and already I have packed on 5 lbs and my appetite is insane. I am also hungry and typically I eat a moderate amount . I am usually 173-175 and I have gone up to 179. I am stopping this birth control today! I spent alot of hard work to lose weight and packing on pounds is not worth it for me. My sex drive seems to be about the same, so as of just a week it had no effects over that. But 5 lbs in 7 days is unacceptable."

vnikkia82 August 3, 2016

"Excellent! Do not be afraid of the reviews. Everyone is different. I'm 47, tried others but this is by far the best! No weight gain, less mood swings, overall fantastic. Biggest challenge is taking the pill at the same time everyday."

Anonymous July 28, 2016

"Overall I've had very minimal side effects with this pill. I just finished my first pack and the only two side effects I experience were spotting (1 for about 4 days and was almost full on bleeding, and the 2nd was only about 2 days and was very light) and weight gain. I am 20, 5'1 and normally weight around 107-109 but have been weighing around 111-112 ever since starting the pill. I'm hoping the weight gain/ bloating and spotting subsides in the next 3 months of me trying this birth control but other than that it seems to be just at sufficient as any other birth control I have used."

AnonH July 28, 2016

"After being on the same birth control for 2 years, with very little positive feedback, I decided to switch it up. I tried lolo because I had received a free trial from my doctor. OH MAN was it ever the best thing for me. Previously I had pretty severe acne, which nothing could help, but after 2 months my skin is completely clear. The only downfall is that I have experienced some weight gain. Overall, I would recommend this form of birth control to anybody who is struggling with skin issues."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

"I started LoLo about one month ago. I switched from Nuvaring to the pill. Everyone is different, but for reference, I'm 26, 5'8", 130. I'm pretty healthy and wanted to see how this would work and now I've had nausea for about 3 weeks, low sex drive, low appetite. My skin and weight have not changed at all. Called my doc and she said my body is getting used to the meds. Hoping this ends soon because it's no fun!"

Lauren H (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

"I have been on lo loestrin for over three years and have loved it. Since being on it I haven't had a period. The only down side is that it's a pill. Being in college and having a crazy schedule makes it difficult to take every day so I'm switching to a better long term solution for birth control. If I could remember to take it at the same time every day I'd give this 10/10"

Anonymous1625749 July 25, 2016

"I've been on Lo Loestrin Fe for a year now and I've been relatively happy. I'm 17 and not sexually active, but my doctor prescribed me the pill to help with my PCOS. Since I wasn't looking for it for birth control purposes, I was mainly focusing on acne, the duration and pain of my periods, and weight changes. I experienced absolutely no weight change and my periods almost and when I did get my period they were painful, but they were so infrequent so it wasn't a concern. I noticed also that my acne got worse. Fortunately I have not experienced any mood changes, appetite changes, migraines, etc. Overall I think as a first time birth control user, it's been an ok experience but if you're looking for acne solutions, maybe try something else."

Natalie543216789 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 20, 2016

"I've been on this pill for several years now. I used to get debilitating cramps and ovarian cysts that put me in the hospital. So I love the pill for that...but now, the pill is the reason for my dead sex drive. And I don't know what to do. I have spoken to my doctor and my obgyn, and nobody seems to care enough to help me. I hate condoms, I can't feel anything. Just frustrated now..."

AndromedaJ July 19, 2016

"I'm 2 weeks into Lolo after Mirena IUD removal, and due to irregular periods, and ovarian cysts. Not sure what's a mirena removal side-effect (Mirena crash) vs. lolo side effect. But I've had headaches and anxiety, and really sad, sad, days. Just blah. I'm going to update as time goes on to annotate any other pros/cons. I have been nauseas the past few days too."

FrannyBarnes July 19, 2016

"This review is past due because I stopped taking Lo Loestrin a couple years ago due to job/insurance change and moving. But out of all the pills I've tried, this one was actually one of the better ones I tried. PROS: NO periods, no cramps, no mood swings, all gone :D!! I'm a heavy bleeder with horrible cramps/pains. This completely got rid of it and it was SO nice. Weight gain! For some this is a huge con, but I'm a 5'2 105lb stick figure girl and I've always struggled with trying to gain a healthy weight. This added about 5-10lbs on and I was really happy about it. CONS: Acne :( I never had bad acne until I started taking this. Also had no desire for sex, but I took it to fix my bad periods, not for dodging babies."

sebu (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2016

"Ive been taking this for two years now and I love it! I work crazy shifts at work that dont allow me to wake up and go to sleep at the same time EVER, so when I end up taking it 2 hours late I dont have to worry about it not being as effective. Also, apparently if you completely miss a dose its okay too, I have yet to try this out but It seems awesome in theory. The only real side effect it has caused me is completely losing my sexdrive. I only have one the two days of the Iron pills. But as I get older I find thats not really all that important to me anymore anyways! I do take sleep aids everynight to combat the sleep loss however I am not sure if its the medicine that causes this or just other mental disorders I have."

Laura Michelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

"I'm almost done with my first pack of Lo Loestrin Fe and I am pretty happy with it. I had minor spotting the second week and light spotting during the two white pills so far. The only side effects I've noticed so far are changes in appetite- first two weeks I was super hungry and then the third week I hardly ate at all. I had some nausea along with the changes in appetite but nothing too major. I have a history with anxiety and the pill has slightly elevated it, but it is manageable. I'd say anyone who is sensitive to high doses of estrogen should definitely try Lo Loestrin Fe."

Brooke1397 July 15, 2016

"I have been on lolo estro for 4 months. Prior to this pill, I was on gianvi which is the generic of Yaz. I had to switch because after 3 years with gianvi, I started to experience vaginal dryness and low libido. Lo lo estro has been good, no negative side effects like I had with gianvi. I haven't had a period in the time I've been taking it, which was worrisome at first, but I guess it's normal. No weight gain or change in appetite. As far as skin/acne, no trouble there. Give it a try."

Jbear22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

"I started taking LoLo after having been off birth control for almost a year. I stopped taking birth control to simply let my body reset because I'm 31 and have been taking it since I was 16. After less than a month of being on this medication, I feel extremely weak, tired, cloudy headed and at night- nauseous. Plus I've gained over 15 pounds with major bloating! My eating habits haven't changed, nor has my lifestyle choices. I'm not going to continue the prescription and am going to ask my doctor for a new option. I know everyone is different, but I didn't have a good reaction to these at all."

A Basic Mess (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

"I have taken this birth control for over 6 months now and am very pleased with it. I previously had Implanon and had a lot of side effects with it, including bad mood swings and weight gain. After switching to Lo Loestrin Fe I started experiencing a slight loss of appetite and some nausea, which made me lose 25lbs that I had put on as a result of the Implanon. I could do without the nausea, but I'm pleased with the weight loss, especially because I was expecting to gain weight if anything. I have had no bleeding besides when I slip up and forget to take my pill, besides some very light spotting at the end of my pill cycle which I almost don't even notice it most of the time."

Shelbii July 7, 2016