User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"The depo shots great I don’t get my period I’ve been on it for about a year I don’t find that I gained any weight at all but I do find my self hungry a lot, but I eat pretty well. I don’t get acne often. The pill used to make me so moody but now I’m fine I feel pretty good sometimes I get really tired but I’ve always slept a lot. The only time I find my self with some acne and cramps is like for a couple days during the month before I need the shot. Definitely recommend vitamin D for your bones because depo can cause your bones to slowly get weaker but over a long time but if you find your body aching take vitamin D definitely helps get rid of aching!!!"

Kaitlyn April 13, 2018

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND what so ever - it is HORRIBLE. I wish that I would’ve taken more time to research about it and see people’s reviews . I got the shot in January and experienced a week long period in February and I’m 3 weeks in with my period that started in March and it’s April now. I feel like I’ve definitely have been depressed and I’ve noticed a weight gain and my acne breaking out increasingly . I thought this would be convenient for me and help me but it has done nothing good to me. Please try and look into a different kind of birth control , trust me you will not benefit nor like this one ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

"I hated the Depo shot at first. The first month I got my shot I had no side effects, after that for 2 months every single day I was bleeding. I had severe headaches that made me nauseous, and messed with my eye sight, it made me super angry towards people, and I barely had energy. I just got my second shot yesterday and my bleeding stopped the next morning!!!! It was amazing, I hope everything starts to even out. The shot may suck at first but if you keep with it, it’s worth it."

Whit (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

"I went on the depot shot after having my first. I loved it, my periods went away completely and I had previously had heavy periods and bad cramps. I did feel hungrier but if your eating right you shouldn't gain 30 to 40 pounds like I'm reading on other posts. I went off it to have my second child and it took 3 weeks to get pregnant. I think every one is different and still react differently. After reading all the other side effects from other birth controls where you cam become sterile because they can't find the implant.... weight gain is something that you can change, being sterile you can't! Do your homework before deciding what your going to do!!! Thanks for letting me share, I hope it helps ;)"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 3, 2018

"Horrible took a few years back. The problem is when you want to get pregnant after taking it will take forever. Also period has been irregular every since!!!! Do not recommend plus doctors wont tell you all the side effects included."

Tye22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

"After getting pregnant on the pill and having a baby, my doctor suggested depo. My doctor said that the drug makes you hungrier, it doesn’t directly make you gain weight, the issue of gaining weight is due to bad eating habits! I have been able to lose weight even after I got on the depo, just eat how you should eat, it’s on you whether you gain weight. I still got my period after the first two injections, and after the third it stopped. I get my shot ever 12 weeks on the dot. Love being on depo instead of worrying about a pill, a lot of women can be inconsistent with the pill and that is how I got pregnant. Highly recommend UNLESS you KNOW you will be 100% accurate with taking your bc pill every day and the exact same time"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2018

"I was on this shot for a year, didn’t notice any side effects except a 30 lb weight gain. Got sick of the weight, stopped the shot, lost all of it. Became active (cheerleading) again so I decided to go back on the shot because I had extremely heavy periods & the shot stopped mine. I was on it for about a year again but this time was terrible. It started out normal, gained my 30 lbs. Then I started getting really achy in my legs, I was exhausted 24/7, and I was extremely moody especially towards my boyfriend. Everything he did absolutely annoyed me. I’ll lose a few pounds, and then it’s time for my shot again and I swell up. A huge part is it increases your appetite, but I could still feel water weight that wouldn’t come off. I recently switched to the kyleena IUD and I’m so relieved to be off of the shot I could cry."

Depo (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2018

"Made me break out like CRAZY!! I already have acne prone skin, so it took me a while to figure out that it was the depo shot that was causing it. My face was covered in zits, it was horrible. :( I switched to another form of birth control and haven’t taken the shot in a couple of months and my skin has already cleared up. Wish I had never gotten on the shot."

Andy (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2018

"I have been on the depo for about 6 months I would say, I'm 18 and average at about 5'5 in height and I have gained over 40 pounds within 6 short months and I am definitely not happy. Weight gain, hair loss, severe anxiety, it's nice to not have to worry about periods and constantly using protection but it's not worth the weight gain."

tiffanybooxd March 13, 2018

"I was on this shot for about two years. The shot does it job! However, it caused an irregular period. Some months I’d get a period others I wouldn’t. After I got off the shot I had a month long period. (Went to doc. of course) it took about a year and half to get a normal flow again. I feel like the after maths isn’t worth it. Just try something else. !"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2018

"I had my first shot of this in October, great no issues at all apart from a prolonged period for 10 days, had my second shot in January and began my period on 21st of February and ended up at the doctors due to the heavy abnormal bleeding, he prescribed tranxemic acid which did nothing then menefamic acid which has helped a little, its been 18 days and today I am spotting tiny amounts of brown discharge so it looks like my period is now stopping. This is really effective for pregnancy but if you want to keep your cycle regular then I would consider another method, however this is just my personal opinion. Hope this helps some people."

Hayleighx (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2018

"I had my first shot of this in October. Everything was fine took a period from the 24th of November until the 10th of December. No period in January and now here I am been on my period for 17 days nearly 3 weeks. Visited the doctor to be given tranxemic acid which btw is not a help at all. Also had my bloods took and they have came back clear so nothing wrong. I stopped bleeding yesterday completely just a horrible browny discharge and then nothing completely until today. Here I am spotting, I am now on mefenamic acid and have been since Tuesday. I will never ever be having this shot again as my menstrual cycle was regular before I started taking this jab. You can imagine how awful this is as ai have been with my partner for nearly 3 years and yes he has been understanding but now this messy cycle is dementing me and I do not know what more to do as the doctor will probably not help as thats tranxemic acid I have taken and then mefenamic acid. Avoid this."

H97x March 10, 2018

"I’ve been on Depo since 2013 and I love it. A little weight gain, moodiness, weird irregular spotting are a bummer but I’m sure that’s all birth control in general. I did get pregnant last year after not having the shot for about six months and experienced a miscarriage sadly, not blaming the Depo because there is no way of actually knowing. I’m going to be switching birth control this month due to the fact that long term use of Depo can cause osteoporosis, I would keep taking it if that weren’t a factor. Very effective way to take your ovaries I would recommend."

Kdkshdjskxnsis (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2018

"I had the Depo shot in 2010 once and it made me gain 2 pants sizes and I was very depressed. Since then my cycle has been very messed up.. I just got back regular last year and I am now expecting!!!"

Coco91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2018

"I took it nearly a year ago. it's useful for the 3 months because you don't get pregnant. The hormones kicked in a week later and I became highly emotional and just wasn't myself"

brunettegurl90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2018

"I’ve been on the shot for about 2 years now and it’s honestly been great. Of course the beginning was horrific. I bled 26 days straight during my tennis season, but eventually it stopped and everything balanced out. I do notice some small pimples every now and then and I get moody sometimes. It did cause a decreases in sex drive but after this long, that’s starting to go away. When I get the shot, so feel some pain around the injection area for about 4 days. Overall I would say I love this. I’m about to change though because the shot breaks down your bone density after a long time."

Rileyyyy February 18, 2018

"Hey, I’m been on depo Provera off and on. Well this month Feb 17th my shot is suppose to be up. Therefore I didn’t start my period like I normally do. I honestly don’t know if I’m pregnant I haven’t taken a test yet . Can anyone help me out here ."

Nicholejay (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

"My experience, I didn't have a period at all after the 3rd shot, it was great. I did experience period like symptoms when someone else was on their cycle but no blood. I did take calcium gummies while on the shot. After a year and a half of the shot (taken regularly, every 3 months), I stopped. Took me almost a year to detox from the shot. I did not take any other birth control after the shot. I am now pregnant with our first son, healthy pregnancy. I've been reading a lot of reviews and a lot of them I have read we're using the shot incorrectly. You can't take the shot, stop the shot and then do it when you feel like, of course that is going to give you some problems. I'm not going to recommend the shot but I'm not going to bash it either. There's a lot of factors as to why it worked or didn't work. More research needs to be done."

LB3651 February 12, 2018

"I regret this shot :( I have been in pain for what it feels like forever now and I feel nauseous !! I got it in December and every day since I got it is just been horrible! I am not to going to get another one!! PLZ DON'T DO THE SHOT!!! Don't even just try it to try it!! You will want to cry everyday from just the pain and I have a very strong pain tolerance! Biggest regret!!!"

Unknown.... February 8, 2018

"So I’ve been on Depo for 5 months, going on 6 and to me it’s pretty good. Before I was on it, I’ve been on my period twice a month and my cramps were terrible. Also I had a pregnancy scare with me and my boyfriend and I took a Plan B pill because I didn’t want kids at the moment, and I wanted to gain weight because my doctor told me to eat more. Everyone’s body is different, so the effects are different. I did have some side effects that I didn’t like, but I pushed through. I highly recommend to get it! You can always switch if you don’t like it! I’m most definitely going to my next appointment!"

roro223 February 1, 2018

"My wife had gotten this shot about a year ago. She had only got the first shot and immediately following we decided not to get the next. I would never recommend this to anyone who plans on having children for my wife hasn't had her period since and we are having fears of infertility. She had horrible head aches within the second month of the shot and muscle spasms. She also lost her sex drive and had major mood swings. She was not herself and she started to gain weight almost immediately. Her body still isn't used to being off of the shot. Be very weary of choosing birth control. We learned our lesson."

Craig daniels (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

"PLEASE do not use the Depo Provera. I got off of it about ten years ago and have had seizures ever since. The doctor won't believe me that they're caused by this (because she prescribes it every day), but I never had anything resembling a seizure until I got off the Depo, and I've read that other people have had the exact same experience. Please don't do it!!"

Bella1229 January 25, 2018

"My Dr recommended the depo shot because she didn’t want bc pills to interfere with my antidepressants. In the beginning my period was much heavier and longer than normal for the first 2 months. After that it became lighter until I didn’t have one anymore (yay!). Despite hitting the gym for about an hour a day, 6 Days a week I was slowly gaining weight. I gave up on the gym after gaining 20 lbs anyways. I stuck it out for a while year (+50 lbs gained in total), and now have not been on the shot for 7 months. My periods are back and completely irregular. Most recently I’ve had a period every other week for the past month. Getting on the depo shot was the absolute worst decision for me personally and I will not go back on it again."

FatandUnhappy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2018

"I strongly recommend this birth control method , everyone's body is different so everyone has their own opinions . Protects you from not getting pregnant and after a few month no more getting your period ! I have been on this for 5 years now. It's a great birth control method definitely suggest trying it out!"

Lelani Perez January 17, 2018

"I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wants a sex life or any life for that matter. I got the depo shot in November and started bleeding early December. It's now mid January and I bled for two months before it finally stopped yesterday. I had to do an ibuprofen treatment where I was taking 800mg three times a day. Not fun. Bled at least an ounce a day. It was like being on the second day of my period every day for two months. However, it did keep me from getting pregnant so I suppose it did it's job. Still wouldn't recommend."

Lizard97 January 13, 2018