User Reviews for Depo-Provera

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 265 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wants a sex life or any life for that matter. I got the depo shot in November and started bleeding early December. It's now mid January and I bled for two months before it finally stopped yesterday. I had to do an ibuprofen treatment where I was taking 800mg three times a day. Not fun. Bled at least an ounce a day. It was like being on the second day of my period every day for two months. However, it did keep me from getting pregnant so I suppose it did it's job. Still wouldn't recommend."

Lizard97 January 13, 2018

"Overall I had no side effects aside for spotting and the intense spotting didn’t happen until the third shot (by intense I mean random bleeding for less than a day, lots of stained underwear and constant pantyliners). It 100% protected me from pregnancy and it was nice only worrying about every 3 months. After this 4th shot my next move is to switch to nexplanon and hope that a slower chemical release will help my spotting."

MadiSun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2018

"Stay away from this birth control!!! I have been bleeding every day for 3-4 months now with big clots and it has ruined all of my underwear. I cannot imagine how many tampons I have gone through! I also experienced very painful sex for quite some time which has only recently gotten more bearable. I have noticed I'm much more tired than I was before taking my first shot, I lost a scary amount of weight (too skinny already) probably from all the blood loss, and have been experiencing abdominal pain. I have no idea why I never looked up reviews before I decided to get the shot but lots of bad things come of this drug such as bone density loss, anemia, acne, and cancer!! PLEASE don't recommend this drug to anyone!!"

CarleyNicolette December 30, 2017

"I do not recommend this to anyone. I've had the worst experience of my life with this. It is my biggest regret. I took 2 shots so a total of only 6 months with this. Once I stopped I didn't get my period for months. Then I got my period and it hasn't stopped its been like 5 months of me bleeding straight every single day. I've gotten blood clots because of it and its making me depressed. I've gone to the doctors twice and they haven't helped me."

eeeeeeeeep (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

"I was recommended and given the shot to reduce the appearance of my acne (according to my clinic) and it made it 100x worse! I couldn’t even touch my face, I just felt so embarrassed to be seen. I was always moody and extremely tired and gained over 15 pounds! for anyone who has acne I do not recommend this. I had little acne on my face and now I have tons of huge zits!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2017

"I have been on the depo shot since I was 12. Since then I haven't had a period. I've been off depo since April. It's now December and I'm barely getting my period back. Good birth control. The only issue I had was large scars on my stomach where the shot was given to me."

Littletexas16 December 20, 2017

"If anyone reads this and is thinking about taking the depo shot PLEASE DO NOT USE IT!! I’m 28 years old and decided I wanted to use a “ convenient “ birth control . Little did I know what was to come . The first shot I took it stopped my period immediately. Without boring you with detail , let’s just say I was in hospital with 3 types of auto immune diseases . Type 1 diabetes ( which does NOT run in my family ) thyroid and LUPUS . I truly feel this shot had something to do with this . I had my blood work done in the beginning of the year and I was completely fine . After 4 months I started bleeding and haven't stopped now for 4 months after and still bleeding. My body won’t be normal for another 10 months!!!!!"

Angie m (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2017

"I would advise everyone to stay away from this shot. Got first injection Nov.2 and will not be returning. Non stop spotting for a month. I really hate that I tried this mess. Wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. If it wasn’t for my husband and my children keeping me in good spirit daily I just could imagine what I would be doing (crying my eyes out)"

Krissy84 December 19, 2017

"Before I begin I want to state that every birth control is different for every woman. I knew someone who was on the depo-shot and had no problems, which is what prompted me to try it. This is probably the worst birth control that I personally have been on. My symptoms consisted of feeling like I'm going to black out, and general dizziness, I also had terrible acne that did not go away even when I came off of the depo shot. Another minor symptom I had was serious weight gain, luckily that went away almost immediately upon coming off of the shot. I believe weight gain is a common symptom of the shot though, granted I was only on it for three months- so, I only had one shot. It didn't work well for me."

Meltarthegray (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

"I got my 1st injection sometime in September and I actually go for my 2nd tomorrow. Very effective birth control. As far as side effects goes I’ve been having crazy mood swings. I know everyone is different but take this into account when deciding. I’ve taken the pill before and my mood has never been affected like with this depo. As far as spotting I’ve had some super light spotting for about 2 weeks when I first got the injection and haven’t since then."

Anonymous December 12, 2017

"If gaining weight isn't a big deal for you then go right ahead. I gave this birth control 2 chances! And both times I got FAT! Gained over 30 pounds with the depo shot. The first time I gave it over a year. My period completely stopped which was awesome, was effective since I never got pregnant. The only side effect was the massive weight gain. I got on another form of birth control and about 2 years later I decided to give the shot one more chance and this time maybe be more active and work out, eat better etc. sure enough no matter how healthy I ate or worked out I managed to still gain 30+ pounds. Will never get on the depo shot ever again. It took me about a year to naturally lose all the weight gain."

Mgurl89 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 11, 2017

"I’m 18 and I’ve been on this shot for almost a year now and I’m not sure if I’m going to do it anymore. My doctor put me on it because of my heavy periods but the past couple months have been really bad in October I had my period for 2 weeks and now I’ve had 2 periods in the past 4 weeks. It’s made me gain about 20 pounds and being in uni makes that very hard because you start to feel overweight. It has messed with my depression sometimes cancelling out my pills. I don’t recommend it to people my age I think I was put on it to young"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2017

"I have been on the Depo for 10 years!!! And it has been wonderful!! I don't have mood swings, I don't have depression. I feel a little blue on the day of the shot but that's about it. I did experience weight gain at first, I was 128 lbs starting on it then ballooned to 165 in the first 3 years, and now hover at 153 lbs (without real exercise but watching what I eat), I'm 5'6". The only reason I'm getting off of it is because my current obgyn, who I switched to after 5 years of being on depo because my last obgyn retired, freaked out that I had been on it so long and wants to give my body a 1 year break due to the bone density loss issue. No acne, and my periods stopped after 6 months."

Depo Lover December 5, 2017

"Depo provera did a good job at protecting me against pregnancy. But I gained a lot of weight!! I didn’t gain much for the first 3 months I had it. Although, after about 6 months (2 shots) I noticed a significant amount of weight gain, and after almost a year I gained about 20-25 pounds. I was exercising, and changed my diet and nothing happened. The irregular bleeding & other side effects were minor side effects to me. The weight gain was my major concern. After reading all of the other reviews for depo, I saw a lot of other women had issues with weight gain too, so I switched to nexplanon (implant), and for me it has had the same side effects as the shot BUT without weight gain. I’ve been able to lose about 10 pounds since I switched!!"

Nikki_15 December 3, 2017

"I was on depot for 4 months after giving birth, I stopped having the shots as it caused moodiness, ange, depression, weight gain and all sorts of probs I'd never had before. Didn't get aunt flo for the whole 4 months. Then when I stopped the shots aunt flo didn't go away for nearly 9 (very long) frustrating month's."

Anticontraceptive (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2017

"Not recommended at all. I didn't get period for two months, but after that I was on my period for two weeks with lots of pain, it was annoying. I usually don't have pain on my days, but during those two weeks, the bleeding and pain were horrible"

Perri_Merry (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

"I was on Depo for a total of 9 months, or 3 shots. The first was great! I had a little spotting towards the end, and it stopped after I got the second shot. A week after getting the second shot though, I started a heavy period that didn't stop for 6 months. It also made me depressed."

Kajay1215 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2017

"I HATED depo. Made me bleed soooo much I thought I was miscarrying. I suffered from extreme blood loss and am now on bed rest. Made me super moody, and I gained 20 pounds since starting in January. Switched to the patch, which has been soooo much better."

IvyBeatrix November 22, 2017

"I must be one of the few women the shot worked for...I’ve been on it about 4 years. No significant weight gain, no acne, and absolutely no periods or spotting. The reason I got on it to begin was due to my terrible cramps and now I have none. I love the shot honestly."

Ksleazzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2017

"I definitely regret take the depo shot as BC. I didn't spot the first time I got the shot but a month or two after I started spotting and it's been constant for about 6 months now. The main issue was that I gained weight on it. I have always been the same weight no matter how much I eat and don't exercise. This is the first time my weight has increased this fast and its quite depressing. I was supposed to go in for my fourth shot but decided against it and am going to be trying to patch now. Hopefully it doesn't have the same side affects. Not having a period with cramps every month was great but I'd rather deal with that than constant spotting."

RKii (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2017

"Decreased my sex drive and physically in a lot more pain in my joints... It's good for women over 25 but under 25 is not the best"

Aspinde (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2017

"I had one shot and came on my period about two weeks late then was on/off quite heavily for the rest of the 3 months, I was on more than I was off in all I think I was off for about 4 days give or take. It’s been a year since I last had the shot and my periods still aren’t fully back to normal, I used to be extremely regular, I now come on twice a month, and never know when am going to come on! I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone"

Jadie98 October 14, 2017

"Okay I’m on this medicine right now and I am a older teenager and I don’t recommend it! I mean yes I can have sex but still I’ve been gaining so much weight that I have to starve myself!! I’m always so moody and I never want to do anything. I get very depressed especially at night and I cry so hard until my throat is raw! I don’t mind being able to have sex without worries but it’s not worth all this that I’m going through! I honestly miss my period I feel so unhealthy without it."

Gocam123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

"I hate the depo. It completely took away my sex drive, so the shot is pointless anyway when I’m not sexually active. I’ve also been on my period/spotting for 7 weeks. This shot is miserable I can’t wait for it to be out of my system. The negative side effects seem to effect more people than the positive! I highly recommend getting another form of birth control. I wish this didn’t even exist."

Okcliv October 13, 2017

"I've had it for two year now. It works great, I haven't had any surprise pregnancies... But, I have gained 40 lbs since then despite exercising a 3-5 times a week and controlled eating habits. The first few months I felt really fatigued and got a lot of large acne flare ups and my appetite increased like crazy - I was never satisfied/full. I gained 10 lbs those first few months. I've had no bleeding at all, which was nice. Those are my only complaints. I will be getting off the shot bc with all my physical activity and limited eating, I still gain weight :("

A-Rob September 27, 2017