User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 250 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I have been on depo for 2 years and haven't had a period since going on this just the odd spot here and there before my next injection is due... but thats about the only good point for me. I'm currently waiting to be seen by a gynacologist due to suffering constant pain during sex and no sex drive at all! Which I believe is down to the depo, like others have said I've noticed weight gain too whilst on this as well as joint pains. One more good point used to have very bad skin but this seems to have cleared right up too since been on this so worth a try everyones different!"

amys93 February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Everyone is different! however I do not suggest this medicine if can be avoided. Due to an abnormality in my blood, my only bc option was the depo shot. I have been miserable since day one and it's not getting any better. I read all the reviews against it but I was set that it would be different for me. Hard no! My acne tripled in severity. I experience shortness of breath and muscle fatigue on the daily. The mood swings have been out of control and ultimately I no longer feel like myself. This has really impacted my life and I strongly urge you to avoid."

Kleestar February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I don't see good reviews ever for any bc, even my friends had issues with depo but not me, I loved it! Everybody is different, You just have to try it to see. I had some spotting at first but then no periods ever, no issues at all and I even lost weight. After I was on it for a year and then stopped. It took 3 months after I didn't get my next dose to even get my period again. I'll go on it again when I'm in need of birth control."

Meagen s February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Depo really did not run well with me. Got my first shot in November and have bled for 3 months straight. Period-like bleed every. single. day without any break at all. Very heavy and clots too. Depo made me bloat awfully too, I'm guessing due to water retention but made me look almost pregnant! My skin got really bad on it too.. not sure if it was caused by the depo or not but my skin is usually fine. I won't be going back for my second shot.."

Lilyb1509 February 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Let me start by saying understand I absolutely hated this medicine.It made me gain tons of weight (60 lbs in the first 6 months), made hair grow darker on my body, acne, and lost every ounce of my sex drive (every single ounce). Basically, how this birth control works, is by turning you into an grumpy ugly troll (from my experience). The only good thing that came out of it was no period and I didn't get pregnant. And speaking of periods, since I've been off this medication, I have an abnormal cycle. I will get a 2-3 warning period, then it will be gone for about a week, then the real thing will start and last another week. Didn't have that problem until after this medication so I can only assume it is to be blamed."

JoelleBarns (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I been on the shot for 7 months now have had no side effects except weight gain which is a plus for me since I was 113 lbs and now am 135 lbs since I have always had so much difficulty gaining weight also after the 4th month my period went away don't know when and if I'll get it back which is also a good thing for me."

Kjm1992 February 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"If I could give this shot 0 stars I would. One is really pushing it. I got the depo in the middle of January, it is now the beginning of Feb & yesterday I was at the ER and my Drs office all day. I woke up having horrible cramps, then it led to blood clots with grayish tissue looking stuff inside, it was nothing I've ever seen before, I passed about 6 of those then the pain started to be mild again and easier to deal with. I've never had a miscarriage but If I could image what the pain felt like it would be that! DO NOT GET THIS SHOT. I'm scheduled for another & I'm cancelling, I would much rather take a pill every day! After dealing with it all day, and now I'm on the 11th day of my period, it was confirmed it was a side effect to the shot"

Horrible Experience February 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on the depo shot going on 3 years now. I've had absolutely no period the whole time, I've gained probably around 10 pounds, I have little to no sex drive, very moody every now and then and I get a little dizzy sometimes without reason? I'm going to get off the shot and move on to the pill, the depo shot is good to use for about a year maybe even 2 but I'm not liking my 3rd time around so far. Thank you for all the reviews really helped make up my mind about this shot, I hate not feeling like myself."

BBnay February 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was on the Depo Shot for 3 years, in my last year being on it I went from weighing 125 pounds to 158 pounds. The weight gain was the only problem I had with this shot. I had a period every 3 months and it was always very light."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My experience with the depo shot was great! I love it! I've been on it for 2 years now and I am currently still receiving the shot. Honestly, I've experienced no type of bad side effects from the depo shot. I didn't gain any weight, didn't become depressed, or have mood swings, it didn't lower my sex drive, or cause me any discomfort with my periods, etc. I literally haven't, and still don't experience anything bad with the depo shot til this day! I love the depo shot because it's something you don't have to worry about taking everyday. It's quick, easy and comfortable. And works amazing at preventing pregnancy! I 100% definitely recommend anyone to give the depo shot a try!"

Princess Perez February 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was on the depo for a little under a year. The main reason I stopped taking it was because of the weight gain. Either way, while being on the shot, my period stopped completely, which is the main reason I chose it. I just recently switched to the pill and have been bleeding during sex, which is concerning, but never happened when I was on the shot. In all, when I was on the shot I probably gained a total of 10-15 pounds, which I can't fully blame the shot for. Other than that, I did not have any issues with any other side effects while I was using this form of birth control."

010101238 February 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am at the end of the road. I am so depressed about this entire situation. I was on the shot at one point of time. It actually gets the job done, prevents pregnancy and stopped my period, however, the weight gain is real, mood swings, and I don't need anymore of those anyway. My bones popped every time I moved and I managed to gain 15 lbs, most of the weight went to my stomach and thats terrible considering I am only 5'2 and my normal weight is no more than 127 lbs. I LOOKED PREGNANT. I am getting very emotional about this entire situation because my periods are the worst, heavy bleeding, cramps are just unbelievable, so painful and lately they have been off track, but they still come EVERY month. I am stuck don't know what to do."

KayDoll (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My experience with the DEPO shot was horrible. I started off the first year on the pill and it was okay but it wasn't helping my bleeding at all and I was tired of taking the pill every day. I started the shot in September and the first two months were fine, I didn't bleed at all but when I tell you I had major mood swings it was terrifying. I would be depressed or really angry for about a week until it calmed down a little. I took the second shot thinking my body would start getting used to it and balancing everything out and the same thing happened again but I started to get more stomach pains and migraines. Now I just found out I have a tumor behind my eye! Thanks a lot DEPO"

LuckyDag February 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am new at bc. I just had a baby in Nov. 2016 and got the shot in Dec. 2016 by Jan 16 I started spotting and I have my period now for two weeks non-stop. That has me in a terrible mood. Besides this no other complaints."

Olgabx January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started this depo shot back in September 2016 because it was suggested that I got on birth control for a few reasons. The first two months (September and October) were great... I didn't even get my period the entire time. But once November (my last month) came, I was bleeding non-stop. It wasn't heavy bleeding but everyday I needed to wear a pad cause I was bleeding enough for one. The whole month of November I couldn't even have sex cause I was bleeding like crazy and it wouldn't stop! Not only that, but I really hated the way that this birth control made me feel... I was extremely moody and almost depressed for some of December. I was so happy when I was off the shot and I'm now on birth control pills and so far it's going well"

Mimi4647492 January 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hello, I have thee most worst experience.... I was on the shot for about 2 years or a little over. The first 2 months of having it, I had serious blood clots and cramps something serious. After about a year in some months, I would only spot 1 wk before getting the shot and 1 wk after. Every time I had sex, I will have the worst abdominal Pain for like a hour. I ended up getting my last shot 11/2015 and was suppose to return 01/16 never went. After that by March, I had my period for a month in a half. Next period was in Oct, now on it since Jan 15th til now... And extra heavy"

Star light (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I loved Depo! Was on it all together over 10 years with a break between 2009 and 2012 when we decided to have kids and now (since Sept 2016). Super convenient, effective, and it made my period completely stop. The only complaint I have was one that didn't show up until last couple of years (for which I ultimately stopped taking it): zero sex drive. I mean bad...to the point I almost got a divorce! In the past I've always had desire but it wasn't until the last 2-3 years where there's was nothing, no desire for my husband, , sex scenes in movies got no reaction...nothing!!! That is my only complaint but it was after many many years. Still, I would recommend Depo 100%"

Joi vonR January 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It's been about 2 and a half weeks off depo now and I've seen a huge difference, in my mood, and in my skin especially. I was on the shot for about 2 years. The first half of the first yet I bled, not enough to need a tampon but enough to annoy me from time to time. It goes away. The last 6 months of using it I noticed a huge change in my skin. I've never had a problem with acne but after a year and a half on depo I started getting pimples on my forehead that wouldn't ever go away. I've never had problems with weight gain but did notice it made me a little more emotional then I had been off it. As for protection against getting pregnant it worked 100% on its own."

Nicoleeeeb January 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have severe swelling on my vagina every time I have sex and it's extremely painful and embarrassing please don't get this shot . I've been on been on the shot for two weeks and this has happened . I'm scared it will happen every time I have sex. And the body pains are even worse shooting down my back and head aches. I've never had any of this before using Depo. I was talked into birth control by my doctor and it was a big mistake listening to her. I'll never be on another form of birth control ever . I've had to much bad luck with a lot of them. :'( I wish I could get this out of my body but I have another three weeks ."

Starlight8484 January 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So I've been using the shot for only two months now, nearing the third. it's pretty effective. I haven't gained much weight. I have spotting which my doctor told me that was normal. my only concern are the mood swings and low libido. I have a boyfriend and I feel like the side effects are making me question my attraction to him???? our relationship is good. I just don't understand why I feel how I do. I would be fine except for the constant depression I'm having. thinking about switching to another method, or sticking to just condoms but we all know how that goes."

person789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Ten years ago I was on the 'depo' shot and instantly began experiencing massive bleeds like excessively severe periods. My dr said you just have heavy periods lets keep up with these shots! Well one day I woke up with a swollen stomach and started to pass out. When I made it to the hospital I had already lost OVER HALF my blood volume. I was operated on immediately. They told me the depo thinned the lining of my uterus to the point of having just open veins... so the lining would clot with all the blood which then forced it UP through my tubes and into my abdominal cavity (retrograde menstruation). coma! Then it caused a massive TUMOR on my liver that I can't have surgery on. THIS SHOT MUCKED MY LIFE UP."

Kara K (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Started at 18, was active, normal weight. Started gaining weight right away but didn't think much of it until I realized I was having to buy larger sizes, but didn't seem to have BC alternatives as I'm forgetful so pills wouldn't work. Over the course of 5 years, I have gained over 100 lbs, hair started greying early, loss of energy, loss of interest in life, and thinning hair, dry skin. Basically depo put me into menopause state, I was early 20s and felt decades older. I went from a size 12 to a size 24. And now 2 decades later, I still have that extra weight on me-no matter what it just won't come off! I am tired all the time, I hardly eat but still gain weight easily. Depo ruined my life, it took me as a young adult and made me old."

Alex79 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had a boyfriend for a few months and our relationship started to get serious so I decided that I needed to start some sort of birth control. I am awful with remembering to take my medicine everyday. This shot was an easy fix for that. You get a shot then don't have to think about taking anything again for three months and you just go get another shot. This birth control is very effective and easy to keep up with, but one of the side effects was weight gain. I figured that I'd be fine since my doctor told me it just increases your appetite so as long as you watch what you eat you would be fine. This shot made me hungry all of the time. I gained 30 pounds from September to February. I got off of the shot and the weight is not easy to lose."

Allison550 January 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had a very good experience with this form of birth control. No bleeding at all, no side effects, not an issues what so ever. I've been takin it for about 9 months now and feeling fine"

Riley s January 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"In the beginning I had bad headaches, vomiting & non stop periods. Now after 12 months of this the only issue is weight gain. But having a small stomach I only gained 5 pounds. I have gained and lost (w/o exercising). I would say this is really effective but with side effects not so much. I went to see my doctor about my periods last time I went in she said if it doesn't stop after this cycle I should change birth controls. And is has she was right! If you think you will stop your periods so soon stop assuming and give depo a try! Its super effective and I'll definitely continue using it!"

Meggieyo (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2017