User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I was on the shot for almost a year in October I went to my doctor today for my shot I am still bleeding I bled for a week straight I want to stop bleeding I had blood clots for 3 days the blot clots stopped now I am bleeding heavy before my shot my doctor said the lining of your Uterus sheds that Is why I was bleeding I know that when I am on the birth control needle it takes a week to work I hope that the bleeding will finally end so I can stop using pads."

Weddinggown August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took one shot , at the end of Feb. 2017. Missed my next dose on purpose because the Depo completely killed my sex drive. A week after my missed dose, I had severe anxiety, had to leave work early because of it. I've struggled w/ anxiety in the PAST and had learned to keep it under control very very well. This time I could not stop the intrusive anxious thoughts, and life had been going well, so no reason to be anxious. I also experienced a period of depression which seems to go in and out. It's been 2 months since my missed dose and although it's less, anxiety and depression is still there. I would not recommend any type of HORMONAL BC to anybody because as far as I can see, many other types of BC cause the same effects during or after."

MOOD SWING HELL (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using depo for 4 years continuously and it has been such a blessing. I've had no side effects. I haven't had a period the whole time I have been on it, and I personally love that."

AshleighA July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never have used any birth control until after I had my baby so I got on the shot right afterwards. The pros no period, no pregnancy. Cons my sex drive was like a on and off switch, weight gain, also no energy so its been a year that I've been on it I plan on getting in the gym you have to stay active with it I want to get off it but don't want to get pregnant and don't want to try anything else. I thought about the pills but don't think I will remember"

Anonymous July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"WORST SHOT EVER!! I just had one shot done and didn't even give the 2nd shot after 3 months a try. Gave me horrible head aches, acne that's so huge I look disgusting to even go out in public, pain on my right ovary 24/7 , made me super mad and angry to the point my bf broke up with me and I'm even off the shot now and still have pain on my ovary . It's been 7 months and I only had one shot just ONCE and still no period . It's really upsetting and it makes me suicidal . It also made my boobs tiny IDK how that's possible but they went from C cups to As and still not back to normal ."

Starlove84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This shot is terrible and I do not recommend it at all. My mood swings are terrible, I was put on an anti depressant because it made my anxiety terrible, and the abnormal, random, heavy bleeding with no warning after being on it for almost a year SUCKED. Not only was the bleeding random and heavy, it was for weeks at a time too. The shortest period I had was about a week. The only good thing that came of it is it definitely prevented pregnancy for me and I didn't gain weight from it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am so thankful for this birth control. I switched from the pill to depo because the pills gave me horrible anxiety and depression. Immediately after I switched, I was myself again. After two doses, my periods stopped. I know birth control affects everyone differently, but I have had no negative side affects at all. My only complaint is after every injection, I would get a headache for a couple of days. I'm 21 and I just hit the two year mark, and my doctor recommended that I switch to a different BC this month and I'm so sad and nervous... I am worried about getting the negative side affects of a new BC after being worry free and comfortable for 2 years."

Allie321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just hit the 2 year mark of being on the shot. Which they recommended to stop at this point. I am unsure what birth control to choose next. I have endometriosis and the shot has helped soo much by stopping my periods but it has also caused almost all side effects it can cause. Weight gain, drowsiness, headaches, fatigue, awful acne, swelling in my legs and ankles for over a year, you name it I've experienced the side effect.. I do recommend it for endo patients with severe pain and bleeding but those who don't have endo I wouldn't not recommend it as the side effects would not be worth it."

Alicyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the WORST damn injection do NOT GET it, 2 of my friends bled badly for 4 months after shots of this and I personally suffer a stupid condition that has no cure be warned. This will cause an autoimmune issue. Should be FDA banned"

Cheyaalora July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the shot at 19 for about 2 yrs then went back to pills. I decided 6 months ago to go back to the depo, I had no bad side effects at 19. Now 24 the side effects of this shot are terrible. My anxiety has worsened, I'm depressed but the over all worst is the acne! Cyst acne on my neck and chin. I've never had acne not even as a teen. It's awful. It's gotten much worse. I spent 80$ on acne meds!!! Not to mention it has know estrogen in it! I'm due in 2 months for my next shot. Defiantly not getting it again! Going back to pills to hopefully get back to my normal self and skin!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on this because I was tired of taking pills everyday. Within the 1st dose my periods stopped and I thought Wow this is great. However in the 2 doses that I had I gained 40 pounds. I was on the pills for 7 years and I had steady weight. If I could go back I would NEVER switched to the Depo Shot. Worst decision ever!"

amanda sch. July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the shot six weeks ago. About a week after I started to experience stomach problems, and had daily, painful diarrhea. After two weeks of on and off diarrhea my bowel movements backs solid but rare, and then after that I would experience a lot of gas after eating. All of my stomach problems stopped after five weeks. I also have been diagnosed depressed and haven't found the shot to make it any worse. I've also experienced a lot of binge eating on the shot but haven't gained weight. I used to have a very painful first day of my period (bad cramps, diarrhea, gas, vomiting) but once I experienced my period on the shot I just had cramps but no blood. Im not pregnant but my period has stopped completely."

Conejo triste July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took depo for 5 years. Loved it for the most part. First starting it was kinda rough. I lightly bleed continuously for 3-5mo for the most part. I had really heavy periods before hand so I didn't think it was that big of a deal. After about a year on it my periods would stop for 2.5 months then start 2 weeks before my shot was due. MY SIDE EFFECTS: I gained 20 my normal average -30 pounds heaviest being unhealthy on depo. I started when I was 19- stopped @24. So weight gain is pretty normal so I'm sure it wasn't all depo related. I also slowly lost my sex drive and it became nonexistent. After 5 years I'm getting off because I think I didn't take enough calcium and now my joints started to ache. REMEMBER to take 1500 mg calcium**"

Coleyypdx July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the depo shot 6 months ago. First month was normal no bleeding, normal sex, no weight gain, no problems at all. After a month I had heavy bleeding was no longer able to lose weight started breaking out and had horrible cramps. I've been experiencing these side effects for 5 months and my Dr does not know what is wrong. DO NOT GET THE SHOT"

Anna_mariee18 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took the shot June 7 2017. Thats 2 days after my period i thought everything was going to be fine I didn't bleed or even spot for the first 2 months! Then I started spotting for a week and now its getting heavy. Its been almost 2 weeks with constant spotting/ bleeding. Reading all the reviews now is making me wonder if its good for me or not. If my bleeding doesn't stop by the time I take my next shot which is on August 3. I won't be taking the shot any longer. I may try take it another time but if I have constant bleeding thats a big NO for me. I'll just take the pills and have a normal period, rather than ruin my body and ruining my relationship ugh! My boyfriend is really understanding but its ruining my sex life. "

Naomibx3 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the IUD, and got it taken out due to severe cramps and other issues. I got on the depo shot to try something different hoping it would help. I just got my first dose a WEEK ago, and I am a completely different person. My mood swings are the WORST. I'm always angry, irritable, nothing van make me happy and I'm always depressed. This is a horrible way to live everyday life. I can't make it better and my mood doesn't change. It definitely helped with my cramps and bleeding, but these mood swings are unbearable and I can't tolerate it. I know this shot works different on everyone, but it's certainly not for me."

Hannahhconda (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If I could rate 0 I would ****WARNING PLEASE LISTEN**** IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THE DEPO SHOT AND HAVE BIPOLAR DEPRESSION PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS THAT MAY OCCUR!!! =====> Extreme mood swings, irritably, feelings of familiarity, odd sensations and worse depression. If you are considering depo please take caution if you do have bipolar depression. It works differently for everyone but I just know I don't like the outcomes and I feel that I should just fore warn others just in case"

Lynnhall96 June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please steer clear of this. I was on the injection for about 8 months when I unknowingly had a miscarriage. I never had my period when I was on depo and never imagined I could be pregnant until I was in the ER. It was such a traumatizing experience, I hope nobody has to go through what I had to go through because this injection failed to work."

ANDMmd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I received my 1st shot a week after giving birth in 2015, I bled the entire 1st month then it stopped completely. So overall I loved being on the shot, I am very petite so I enjoyed the little weight gain, BUT it did decrease my sex drive. I also began having slight headaches maybe once a month, which caused me to finally switch birth controls after 2 years. But I did love the shot overall an I recommend it, especially if you're practicing abstinence!"

Mrs Green June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got this shot in May for the first time. My doctor told me I would stop getting my period (which I never had any issues with). I figured since I have a horrible time remembering to take my pill that I would try this shot. NEVER AGAIN!! I have the worst mood swings ever and I've been spotting for a month. I rather get my period once a month then spot for an entire month. I will NOT be getting the shot again."

Darbi (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I loved Depo. I used the generic from age16-21. My insurance stopped covering the shot. I miss it! On my first shot of depo, my period got shorter and lighter each month, and on my second shot, I don't think I had a period. I know by the third shot, I trusted depo. I threw away my emergency period travel purse before the end of the first year and never had a single drop of period for 5 years. Miracle. No condoms, no pregnancy. It helped my acne. My negative side effects were it changed my personality. I felt less social, lower libido (still functioned well), and some doctors tried to diagnose me with depression. I experienced sleep paralysis once every 6 months. Those negatives don't outweigh the positives for me!"

MissMyDepo June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on the shot in early July (2016) because I had very heavy periods that I wanted to control. After the first month, my regular cycle came but NEVER stopped. I bled every single day until my next shot. The doctor told me it should stop after the second shot once it regulated in my body. About a week after my shot, I started bleeding even heavier. I was having to change my tampon each hour and blood clots were coming out of me. After a month of bleeding like that it began to settle. I decided that I was not going to get my third shot ( January 2017). Anyways it is now June and I am still bleeding every single day. I'm now Anemic and have no energy. Not to mention all of the money I have spent on pads and tampons."

mallory689975 June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first, I loved the depo shot. I got 6 weeks after giving birth and I haven't had a period since, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, my appetite increased greatly and I ended up gaining so much weight that I'm back to wearing maternity clothes because none of my clothes fit. I weigh as much as I did at 40 weeks pregnant and I've only been on the shot for 7 months. My next shot is scheduled for next month, but I am switching back to a pill. I have always been thin and I feel like someone else in my heavier body. If you don't mind weight gain, it's a great option. But the weight gain is too much for me."

Laura1416 June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst birth control I've ever been on. Even compared to needing my Mirena IUD surgically removed. All birth control comes with side effects but I had the worst experience with the depo shot. I stayed on it just over a year and a half (thinking it would get better eventually?) and I decided not to continue it, with all the issues I've had. ZERO sex drive, extreme fatigue, lots of weight gain, major anxiety (needed medication), moodiness.. now that I stopped, I'm having major abdominal cramping, similar to mild contractions. I would not recommend this birth control. I feel like I've become a completely different person with all these mood changes and fatigue. I hope I can get back to normal after this. Really regretting doing the depo.."

Jess343488 June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Depo- Provera has been a life saver for me! Since I've been getting it, my severe bleeding I've suffered for so long with is gone! I have no periods at all. It's also amazing at preventing pregnancy. I've been with my fiancé for 11 years & we don't use protection, and I like to let him finish in me. No babies here! The only symptoms I get when the shot is first given is slight fatigue. I'd highly recommend you giving it a chance. I've tried everything from an IUD to pills. The IUD worked great for pregnancy also, but caused severe pain & I had to get it removed along with a pelvic ultrasound to make sure no damage was done."

Kayceelynn (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2017