User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 258 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I got this shot in May for the first time. My doctor told me I would stop getting my period (which I never had any issues with). I figured since I have a horrible time remembering to take my pill that I would try this shot. NEVER AGAIN!! I have the worst mood swings ever and I've been spotting for a month. I rather get my period once a month then spot for an entire month. I will NOT be getting the shot again."

Darbi (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I loved Depo. I used the generic from age16-21. My insurance stopped covering the shot. I miss it! On my first shot of depo, my period got shorter and lighter each month, and on my second shot, I don't think I had a period. I know by the third shot, I trusted depo. I threw away my emergency period travel purse before the end of the first year and never had a single drop of period for 5 years. Miracle. No condoms, no pregnancy. It helped my acne. My negative side effects were it changed my personality. I felt less social, lower libido (still functioned well), and some doctors tried to diagnose me with depression. I experienced sleep paralysis once every 6 months. Those negatives don't outweigh the positives for me!"

MissMyDepo June 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went on the shot in early July (2016) because I had very heavy periods that I wanted to control. After the first month, my regular cycle came but NEVER stopped. I bled every single day until my next shot. The doctor told me it should stop after the second shot once it regulated in my body. About a week after my shot, I started bleeding even heavier. I was having to change my tampon each hour and blood clots were coming out of me. After a month of bleeding like that it began to settle. I decided that I was not going to get my third shot ( January 2017). Anyways it is now June and I am still bleeding every single day. I'm now Anemic and have no energy. Not to mention all of the money I have spent on pads and tampons."

mallory689975 June 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"At first, I loved the depo shot. I got 6 weeks after giving birth and I haven't had a period since, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, my appetite increased greatly and I ended up gaining so much weight that I'm back to wearing maternity clothes because none of my clothes fit. I weigh as much as I did at 40 weeks pregnant and I've only been on the shot for 7 months. My next shot is scheduled for next month, but I am switching back to a pill. I have always been thin and I feel like someone else in my heavier body. If you don't mind weight gain, it's a great option. But the weight gain is too much for me."

Laura1416 June 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst birth control I've ever been on. Even compared to needing my Mirena IUD surgically removed. All birth control comes with side effects but I had the worst experience with the depo shot. I stayed on it just over a year and a half (thinking it would get better eventually?) and I decided not to continue it, with all the issues I've had. ZERO sex drive, extreme fatigue, lots of weight gain, major anxiety (needed medication), moodiness.. now that I stopped, I'm having major abdominal cramping, similar to mild contractions. I would not recommend this birth control. I feel like I've become a completely different person with all these mood changes and fatigue. I hope I can get back to normal after this. Really regretting doing the depo.."

Jess343488 June 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Depo- Provera has been a life saver for me! Since I've been getting it, my severe bleeding I've suffered for so long with is gone! I have no periods at all. It's also amazing at preventing pregnancy. I've been with my fiancé for 11 years & we don't use protection, and I like to let him finish in me. No babies here! The only symptoms I get when the shot is first given is slight fatigue. I'd highly recommend you giving it a chance. I've tried everything from an IUD to pills. The IUD worked great for pregnancy also, but caused severe pain & I had to get it removed along with a pelvic ultrasound to make sure no damage was done."

Kayceelynn (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"At the suggestion of my OBGYN, for recurrent vaginal yeast infections that seemed to come 2 weeks after every single period for no reason. I decided to do the depo shot to keep my hormones high and potentially stop my period to hopefully end the yeast infections. I am rating this a 5. The yeast infections stopped, so it worked in that sense. However, the side effects are horrible! Weight gain, acne (always near the end of the 12 week mark when you're due for another shot ) and I'm talking cystic acne, horrible horrible acne. I'm 32 and my skin looks like I am going through puberty every time my shot is about to run out. I also get it on my back. Never before did I have that issue. Sex drive decreases. And, around the 12 weeks mark migraines"

rachyyy (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am actually switching birth controls and was wondering what avenue to pursue. Yet, I have been on depo for the last 5-7 years. The bleeding sucks. It has lasted for up to 2 months before. It does a great job preventing pregnancy. I don't mind the weight gain. For those asking about getting pregnant after depo. It can take up to a year for the medication to completely lose effect. I don't recall many mood swing or depression. Even when I first started it. Depo is a great birth control for not getting pregnant."

Britttttt May 31, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on the depo for 5 years now , the only side effects I have experienced were increased appetite and headaches. My last shot expired in March and l am now trying for a baby in the last month l started feeling nauseous, vomiting, tiredness, tender breasts and increase in my sex drive. l have done a pregnancy test but it was negative. Some are telling me that these are the side effects of the shot wearing off. Is this true ??"

Nikki o1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a first time user took the shot in April after giving birth in Feb and I can't wait for it to be over! Never doing it again! Lack of sex drive Appetite increased Mood swings Night sweats Crazy freaking dreams Tired all the time Hair loss Light bleeding for a whole month Can't tell if the lack of sex comes from the shot or the birth. Hair loss may be due to be breastfeeding. Gus's I'll find out after this is over. Works well in preventing another pregnancy but I'm not going to do all this for that!"

Flowersclau (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on the shot since I was 15 I am 36 now! I bled a lot! You would have abnormal bleeding for the first year after 12 months it stops completely so if you bleed a lot for the first year what it's doing is getting you ready to have no bleeding at all! I have 2 kids that was planned! I know In the beginning can be depressing but well worth it in the end!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on the shot for three years now. My first year on the shot everything went smooth beside the fact I spotted after sex. However my last two years on the shot I gained 40 pounds. I experienced shortness of breath , depression, anxiety , pelvic pain , stiffness in muscles ( which was awful because I was a dancer ) tiredness and a huge increase in appetite. Even though the shot stopped my periods and pain.. I would not recommend this to anyone. Now my body is slowly getting back on track ."

Kokomo555666 May 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have got this birth control twice! The first time I got in NO side effects what so ever, besides a little bit of spotting here and there. I decided to get the shot again, and honestly it was the worst decision I've ever made. I am unusually moody all the time, I break out crying out of no where, I am always in and out of serious depression and I am always tired! If I would have known this shot would have been the end of most friendships, relationships and even people liking me.. I wouldn't of ever got it. It has ruined me as a person! Don't get it if you're sensitive to birth control. It will not be right for you and you will be miserable. I can't wait to be off of this birth control I will never go back to the depo."

Aly2992778 May 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prevents pregnancy but definitely not worth the side effects. It will cause mood swings a week into getting it. Please, for the sake of your own health do not get this shot."

pavlovna (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had my baby the end of January took the shot in February. It made me break out so much, lost some hair, and I am angry all the time. Aside from that I never really got the bad symptoms I barely even bleed. It's now May & I'm due for my 2nd shot the last week of May however I started feeling very light head and nausea. I took a pregnancy test turns out I am pregnant. I'm so upset because I just had my first daughter and am unsure if I want to continue this pregnancy. It might have been my body but I wouldn't trust the shot."

Jessoti94 May 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took the shot once and from the week I took it until the week it ended it was literally impossible to have sex, it hurt everywhere. Inside and at the opening. We tried to have sex maybe 4 times, just for a few seconds until I couldn't take it anymore. Husband went crazy! The GYNO said that I didn't fit the profiles for anything like endometriosis or vulva-something, nothing. I was a medical mystery with no reason to be having so much pain. There weren't other symptoms or side effects for anything, the doctors were all just like "I don't know - good luck". And I bled for 80 out of 90 days. Profusely. As far as protecting against pregnancy, I don't know, because I had sex a total of 48 seconds in 3 months."

dawnnamkp May 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on the depo shot for 3 years and for the most part it does keep you from getting pregnant. My first 2 years on the depo went quite smoothly but I have noticed that it made me very depressed and messed up my sex drive, but the last few months I've been noticing that I've been very moody, depressed, spotting, nauseous every other day, weight loss & I've also been feeling very dizzy and weak. I've also heard that it takes a while to get pregnant once you get off so I do not recommend, I will not be getting another depo shot & I regret ever getting it."

Nicole0987 May 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 18 years old and I've been on the since I was 15, two months before my sixteenth birthday. I have done loads of research on this shot and after taking it this long and reading everyone's complaints, I have reached a final conclusion that this shot has deteriorated my health tremendously. I have always had problems with feeling depressed but ever since I got on this shot I've been feeling so horribly suicidal and anxious, my mood has been affected so badly too. I am always stressed or not really sure about what or how I feel. I have really bad abdominal pain, and not to mention the worse headaches and dizziness of my life. I am constantly dizzy and fatigued and i gained lots of weight. It prevents pregnancy yes, but not worth it."

Catlover3000 May 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was terrible! The beginning was fine I was having sex and wasn't pregnant so I was fine then 3 weeks into using the depo I was bleeding everyday !! Not even exaggerating it was so unpredictable I had maybe one day without bleeding a month and it wasn't a full day it was a half day! I was bleeding for 5 months and went to the doctors and they said I was anemic and gave me a hormone medicine to stop the bleeding I was still bleeding. Maybe around the 6 or 7 month I stopped and just gained a massive amount of weight I was 170 and went all the way to 250 while I was playing sports and working out. I finally got off and they told me it could be in my system for up to a year while I'm still trying to lose weight. I DON'T RECOMMEND"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wish I would've listened to the reviews before getting this shot. It has caused me to have severe anxiety and panic attacks. I can only hope that I'm able to go back to normal after these hormones are out of my system. Additionally, my acne has worsened and I'm hungry all the time. But none of that compares to the anxiety. I haven't felt like myself in weeks. Absolutely do not try this shot if you are able to get another method of birth control."

Don't Do It April 25, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Believe the reviews!! I got my first shot last month. How is this legal?? I just have light brown bleeding everyday, hot flashes and night sweats every night. I can't sleep, and I keep having crazy vivid dreams - again every. single. night. I don't take any other medication and I never had crazy vivid dreams like this. Between the night sweats, vivid dreams and being anxious I probably sleep two hours a night and I have a 5 month old son who sleeps all night. I have acne and I have never had acne as a teenager or an adult. I had it slightly at the beginning of my pregnancy but it wasn't like this. I swear every bad side effect I read, I have! This has never happened with any meds before"

Natalie914 April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on depo for almost 4 years and I got off and had my son and went back on and this time around it is worse than before. I have lost so much weight I am always angry sad even depressed my hair is falling out and I've been spotting non stop and my sex drive is gone. smh I feel so bad because I don't want to have sex when I am always spotting. I will never ever get back on depo. 'm due for it in june but I'm not going to - I want my body and health back"

Justamotherwith1boy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst experience. My daughter was just 10 months old. I took first shot on January 9 and was supposed to take another one in March. As soon as I took the shot my periods became irregular. I went to my GP she said it's very common and it will continue and will stop after few days. I had periods for more than 30 days. I started to react very weird in those days. A few days later I felt some changes in my taste and then my husband asked me to do preg. Check. I was shocked to see the results. I never wanted to have a baby so soon. I was depressed and used to cry a lot. It was the worst time of my life.I Finally decided to continue with the pregnancy. My daughter is now 3 yrs and my son 1.5 yrs old. I won't recommend at all. I don't want anyone else to suffer"

Tripti12345 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been in this shot for 5 months. First 3 months I was always spotting & I was always angry. I always had acne but this shot made it worse. I started having nightmares and my anxiety was worse but I still decided to go on with my 2nd. Once I got my 2nd shot the bleeding went away, most of the side effects went away except for my acne it got worse. My skin hasn't been this bad in years! & my hair is falling out like crazy I'm afraid to even brush it. My sex drive also completely went away. I also started bleeding again this while on this and ever since I started bleeding again.im severely depressed. I don't know how to shake this feeling off. If you have a history of acne & depression pls don't get this shot. It will bring everything back"

Jasminese (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On Depo for 19 months, began taking it after my second child. Had no period. Major mood swings, constant exhaustion and trouble sleeping. No sex drive- after some research, I discovered why.. Depo is used as a CHEMICAL CASTRATION drug for sex offenders in multiple states. -My Dr did not mention that I was drugging myself like a convicted sex offender, did yours?"

What Your Dr Didn't Tell You (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2017