User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I've had the shot for about 3 months and I've had a great experience. My acne was minimal, mood swings were practically unchanged, and I actually lost weight. It's my first shot, so I did have some spotting, but that was it. I would definitely recommend it."

Breezi245 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

"Omg! total wrong decision. Thought it would be easier now I have a baby so I didn't forget to take a pill everyday. I've bleed everyday since I had the injection...way to kill your sex life. I had pains in my right leg for 2 weeks after having the injection in my right buttcheek, had pain in the area of injection for 2 weeks too. No energy, feel depressed a lot. Migraines returned which I haven't had a good few years. DO NOT DO IT!"

JessH89 July 27, 2016

"After recently getting into a serious relationship, I decided to get on birth control just to be safe. After realizing I wouldn't have to take a pill everyday and there would be a possibility I wouldn't have a period with the shot, I instantly fell for it. (Terrible periods) for the first 3 months I have no side effects except I had a period every 2 weeks for 2 weeks at a time. The second shot (next 3 months) I bled the entire 3 months, started to gain weight and started to get mood swings . The next shot instantly stopped my bleeding, at this point I am up 20 pounds and have no sex drive at all. Shot 4 still no period or bleeding, no sex drive still. Not to mention I'm up 35 pounds at this point . I do not recommend the shot at all !"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2016

"Absolutely shocking, would not recommend to anyone due to the side effects of its use. I am 2 months into my first shot and have gained 5 pounds (my weight has not changed in years and I have maintained a good diet etc). Got my first ever spots on my face and the general condition of the skin on my face has worsened. Since using the injection I feel more tired, restless and have no energy. I have been feeling emotional, angry and depressed all the time. To conclude, although a small amount of users get on really well with this method of contraception, it is no way worth the risk of finding out if it will work for you as once you have had the injection it cannot be reversed unlike the contraceptive patch/pill for example."

Eli1923429 July 26, 2016

"I had to switch my birth control to a different one because the Depo shot made me gain so much weight and I had continuous on and off spotting for a week and i kept getting this pain in both my legs and could get ride of the pain so I would not recommend this birth control to anyone"

Destany159 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"Worst experience of my life. Three months of bleeding, constant cramping, acne on my back (which I've never had in 24 years), and lightheadedness. Despite the terrible side effects, it ended up being pointless because why would I want to have sex when I'm constantly bleeding."

Ddddd12345 July 25, 2016

"So far so good. Haven't had any problems within the first 2 months. Definatly going to carry on the shot :)"

Emily8303959 July 25, 2016

"Honestly, would not recommend. It sounded like a pretty good deal; not having to take pills, potentially losing a period but it caused more trouble than good. I went from having clear skin (rarely a zit) to the worst acne of my entire life all over my face and back, weight gain (while running 3-4 miles 5 times a week), and non stop spotting and two week long periods. Just started back on the pill today, and hoping all the side effects go. Good luck!"

Megan2222 July 24, 2016

"I went off of depo 2 years and 7 months ago. I can not have a period on my own, so I no longer ovulated. We have been seeing a fertility doctor for 7 months. I can only have a period and ovulate with medication, but we have still had no luck. The only thing they can find wrong with me is the shot. I'm so upset I may never be able to have another child. Do not take this if you ever want to have children. That's not including the side effects during: severe weight gain, mood swings"

Can't get pregnant (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2016

"I was on the depo shot for 6 months so 2 injections and my experience was over all good it was very effective in preventing pregnancy i had unprotected sex and did not get pregnant. However while on the depo shot over 6 months i gained 45 pounds! I went from being 120lbs to 165lbs from october to april it was crazy it worked very very well and was extremely easy to get and the injection mildly hurt but the weight gain is the reason i stopped getting it."

Nickyeastman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

"Took this form of birth control because it was safe while breastfeeding. This was very easy one shot good for 3 months but I experienced the worst side effects, weight gain, cramping, and spotting for almost 2 months straight."

Newaprilmom July 18, 2016

"I've been on the depo shot for 7 years. I was 120lb when I started and now I'm 192lb.. I have constantly tried to loose weight and can't... I'm 24 years old and have experienced a lot of the side effects.. Weight gain ,hair loss, mood swings joint and muscle pain, constant headaches and dizzy, no sex drive at all and more.. The first three year I had spotting every now and then and would some times bleed for 12 days straight.. And then I was only getting a period once a year....I just recently stopped the depo shot after getting a lap procedure done ... I was told that I may not ever be able to have kids because of how long I was on the depo. Others say it may take 2 years... I decided to stop now in case there might still be a chance"

Mrk1213 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2016

"I've had this medication for a couple of days and my period stopped like normal! I haven't had any bleeding what so ever yet or any of the bad side effects emotionally at all! I think this birth control will work for me for sure. The shot is very convenient (and not as painful as I thought) as a 18 year old who is horrible at taking pills every day. Plus it's free for me so that's great! Hopefully it will not cause my body any issues!"

MarissaJade July 11, 2016

"I was on Depo-Provera for 15 months and the only negative side effect I experienced was weight gain, which is why I recently stopped. I loved the ease of the whole process and the high efficacy of the drug. I had 2 periods my entire time on the shot (yay!), didn't spot, it didn't break me out, didn't mess with my mood, BUT I gained a lot of weight (which did plateau). When I got off, I immediately got my period and my skin broke out worse than it has in the last year. I also am experiencing a definite decrease in energy. Overall, I recommend the shot and I may go back on it in the future, but pay attention to your side effects!"

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2016

"Getting off the depo... Ever since I've got it, I've had horrible headaches every single day, the only thing that helps is Exedrin Migraine. I've gained 20+ pounds & im extremely moody & tired all the time & I spit out of nowhere. I loved the shot at first but I'm getting off of it."

fieldhockey2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"This was the biggest mistake of my life. My doctor and I thought it might help balance out my hormones and help my migraines. It did the opposite. I had migraines for days on end with no relief not even form sleep. My skin has been clear with the occasional pimple. My entire face is now covered with acne and my back. My period was more painful than ever the one time I had it on the shot. It caused back and hip pains. I also gained 25 pounds. I only got the shit once. it's been 5 months and I'm still waiting for it to leave my system completely."

sguzy July 6, 2016

"I was on the depo provera shot for 2 years. Absolutely hated it. The two years that I was on it. I had rapid weight gain and gained 30lbs in two years. My mood swings were awful and became much more depressed. Also caused my anxiety to become worse. Wouldn't recommend this birth control to anybody."

Lala024 July 5, 2016

"Say No To Depo! Say No To Depo! Say No To Depo! Say No To Depo! Worse experience of my life! been off for almost a yr and im still bleeding, body seems like it just want return back to normal. That stuff is poison!. I will never get back on Any birth control don't care what it is"

Alizae Rozae July 3, 2016

"While on the depo I had no issues other than severe weight gain. They tried to tell me that I was eating more and that's what caused it, but I was very strict about what I ate so I know without a doubt it wasn't that. Once I stopped the depo, about 2 months after I stopped the shots, I started cycling. My cycle was heavy and painful, and it hasn't stopped nearly 2.5 years later (I very rarely get a day or two where it isn't bleeding). I'm still in the process of getting lab work done and finding a resolution. Depo seems to work wonderfully for some people, but it works terribly for others. I'm not sure if there's a way to screen if it will work well with your body or not, but because of this I wouldn't recommend it."

Rae89 June 29, 2016

"I first got on depo almost 9 yrs ago. I was on it for 2yrs. Almost immediately after the first shot up until the month after I stopped I had no period. But I also had gained 45lbs after 2yrs! After stopping, my periods immediately returned to normal. I had been off of depo for 5yrs and had regular, unprotected sex with my boyfriend of 4yrs now and did not finally conceive until after 2 1/2yrs of actively trying. Finally conceived, thankfully! Decided to get depo once again and this time, I have bled/spotted off and on since I have birth randomly sometimes 2weeks at a time and it's been 8months postpartum. Decided to stop injections and try different route. Also since it took so long to get preg. before doc advised to stop sooner next time"

chel_z (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2016

"I was on the shot about 2 years ago, it did in fact add on a few pounds but it was effective.. I spotted for about 20 days and I was gucci. I never went back for a second shot due to my financial situation but it kept me infertile for an additional 10 months( not complaining, it was great). I just recently went back to get the shot again... It all depends on you! And p.s it heightened my sex drive. To each it's own"

Lil lean (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

"I'm 27 and had the Depo shot on the last day of my period and everything went fine for the next month and a half. I started spotting and kept spotting for a month, however I was told spotting could happen but with time and continued shots it could stop entirely. It was a little inconvenient but nothing liners couldn't take care of. I have only taken the shot once and have decided to go with another form of birth control. My decision is based on the facts of bone loss with prolonged use and not to do with any other symptoms that have been attributed to it i.e. hair loss, weight gain, pain, emotional issues, as I had none of those symptoms but I may not have been on it long enough. If not for the possible bone loss I would keep getting it."

T-girl June 24, 2016

"I haven't gotten my period since the shot till now (about 3 years) I immediately started to lose weight. I weighed from 125lbs to 102lbs within the first two doses of Depo. My appetite was crazy!!! I ate twice as much. Mood swings weren't that much of a deal. I experience slight spotting and hot flashes most of the time."

ilandgirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2016

"I had 3 miscarriages after getting the depo shot and I bled for 3 months straight. I missed my window for having another child. So sorry I got this shot."

Joy_Wil (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2016

"Going into getting my first Depo shot I was excited. My periods were excruciating painful and I needed something to make my periods more bearable. My first shot my period stopped and it was amazing. Unfortunately, I started eating more and I became very moody. My hormones were extremely out of wack. By the time my third shot was due everyone I knew was convincing me to stop the shot because of how negatively I have been effected. I went through with the third shot hoping it would get better in time but I only got worse and didn't want to wait for it to get better. I stopped the depo shot and didn't get the fourth injection. By the time I stopped I had gone from 115 lbs to 170 lbs in that short time. It ruined my body."

JFair1220 June 15, 2016