User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I'm 18 and I've had 4 Depo shots. So many things in my body and personality have changed and I have just today realized that it's all because of this shot. I have had horrible stomach pains almost every day sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes coming with diarrhea. Also I've had no sex drive, mood swings, terrible anxiety, and depression. I am never getting this shot again, any other form of birth control would be better then this one. Do NOT try the Depo shot."

Taytay123123 August 26, 2016

"I wish I could take it back. Terrible experience. I had horrible muscle aches where the shot went in for 5 months. I felt bloated all the time. I bled every single day, EVERY DAY. It was dark red blood. I only did the shot once. Six months later I "sort of" got my period back. I am still waiting for a normal cycle, I will wake up and not know how much I will bleed for the day. I got very emotional when I didn't go back in to get the second shot. Really screws with your hormones. It does what it is supposed to do but the side effects are not worth it to me. Never ever again. Stay away."

Never ever Again0 August 25, 2016

"I've gotten 2 shots so far, and I'm pretty sure it's making me completely crazy. Even scarier, since I started this medicine, I started getting crazy headaches. I was at work and my face started going numb and then I started seeing all these bright lights and then I couldn't see out of my left eye... Btw I'm 28. I haven't gotten pregnant, so it's effective for that, however I would NOT recommend this. I've always been moody, but the feelings I've experienced with this are so overwhelming sometimes... it feels like I'm going to have a panic attack like every other day. It's good if you want to be depressed, literally question your mental health, bleed every single day ... Totes switching."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

"I have only had my first dose- 4 weeks in and I already know I'm never getting it again. My mood swings have been terrible... I feel like crying for no reason, worse than any other birth control I've taken in the past. To top it all of my skin is reacting terribly. I have a rash all over my legs and it's starting to breakout on my arms too! Luckily it's not red, but it's still uncomfortable. I'm terrified of how the next 2 months are going to be... Broke down crying to my fiancé begging him to help me get through this. Wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE"

KMF413 August 24, 2016

"I was on depo 14 years ago. A jerk obgyn gave me this birth control without informing me what it was, he just said a birth control shot. It ruined my life, and partly responsible for my divorce with my ex husband. I only took this birth control for the first three months. I gained weight. Had psychotic thoughts about killing myself and my children. After that happened I immediately went to my doctor for a antidepressant. Extreme fatigue. Had awful mood swings, highly emotional and angry. I felt dizzy, had hot flashes, and had migraines that were nonstop. I had weird female issues. Weird growths on my female parts, UTIs, yeast infections, blocked ducts down there, a weird skin growth.. I had welt like acne. No sex drive..."

Steffie1000 August 22, 2016

"I got my first shot in June 2016 thinking it would be a better alternative from the problems I was having with the pill. I ended up bleeding for a whole 3 months which defeated the purpose of getting it for birth control because I couldn't have sex anyways because of it. I got a second shot in August and the bleeding stopped but I started getting headaches and feeling dizzy frequently. My next shot is scheduled for October but I refuse to get another after reading other women's reviews and horror stories. The side effects are insane and not worth the risk. I would never recommend the shot to anyone."

VictoriaE1993 August 21, 2016

"Seriously messes with my emotions so much. I already live with anxiety & depression and the Depo just makes it so much more worse! I hate it. I get pissed off at things I shouldn't get pissed off at! I have all the period symptoms (cramps, emotions out of whack, retaining water and horrible craving for sweets) and irregular bleeding. I'm gaining so much weight and I'm not even eating unhealthy, I have a strict diet and workout and I stil gain about a pound or 2 every 2 weeks. Do NOT recommend the Depo to anyone. This sucks."

ang1432 August 20, 2016

"I took this because I worked such a crazy schedule and taking a pill at the same time everyday was impossible. So that's the ONLY perk with this guy. The side effects were so noticeable. I rarely ever stopped spotting. I'd have my period and then spot like ever other few days. It transformed me into an angry crazy person and took months to get weened out of my system. I would never take this again."

faithnoel August 20, 2016

"So I am 19 years old it is August (a month after my birthday) so I have been on depo for there years exactly. My first couple weeks I had nausea and headaches. After my third shot I had no menstrual cycle anymore. I will say for this form of birth control is awesome. I was with a guy for a long time and never used a condom and here I am three years later and never had a pregnancy scare. So yes as birth control it works perfectly. However, throughout the years I still had some mild cramps and horrid mood swings and my right knee seemed to gradually get worse. Pains that came and went more when it rained. I am now in the middle of getting depo provera out of my system and I must say I feel like I am dying. Horrible mood swings nausea headache"

Bridgetttttt August 19, 2016

"This drug was absolutely awful in my opinion. For the first couple weeks, I had little to no symptoms. Around week 6 is when all hell broke loose. It began with tingling and numbness in my hands and feet and crazy intense headaches. It interrupted my work day, where I had to leave the office a few times to lay down. Then, I started getting crazy joint pain so intense that when I woke up each morning and got out of bed I would scream from the pain ( my pain tolerance has always been high). Next came the shoulder pain I felt like my shoulders were full of knots that wouldn't go away. Sexually, it took its toll on me too. Week 10 came the irritability and EXTREME FATIGUE. This drug is awful I don't recommend it whatsoever :("

DaisyB64 August 18, 2016

"I felt like I had to review this because I almost didn't start it since all the reviews were truly horrifying. I have been on depo for a few years and so have two of my best friends. We all absolutely love it. I haven't had a period since the first shot. I never experienced any weight gain or hormonal changes. Best of all, My bleeding and cramps from hell finally went away. I started taking this not for birth control, but to get rid of my extremely painful periods that started all the sudden once I turned 30. I'm not saying don't believe the horror stories, just remember, people usually only review when they have bad experiences. I like this way better than the pill and I don't have to take it everyday."

Chello August 17, 2016

"When I say this birth control screwed up my life, Im not kidding. Weight gain, TERRIBLE ACNE (never had anything nearly this bad as a teenager) and absolutely constant bleeding/spotting. There may have been one week worth of days out of the month with no bleeding. I wend back to the pill after 9 miserable months and almost instantly the bleeding stopped, and my face is so much clearer. Just take a pill everyday Depos effectiveness is not worth the stress and terrible side effects."

Mary katee August 16, 2016

"I have taken birth control pills for years, before and after I had my daughter (age 4). About 7 or 8 months ago I started having really bad abdominal cramping again, weight gain, break through periods, etc. So 2 months ago, my OB suggested I switch to depo and see if it would help with the issues I was having. In 2 months, I haven't gained any weight (controlling my diet), but I have insane dreams that keep me up every single night, fatigue, increased abdominal pain, periods that have lasted all month, mood swings, migraine headaches (haven't had those in 8 years), and a loss in sex drive. I'm scheduled to get my 2nd shot next month, but I doubt I will. I do not recommend this form of birth control to anyone."

JadeE1234 August 15, 2016

"Been on this shot for over 8 years now, never been off it, love it, yea I get moody but who doesn't Lol, no periods for me love it, never had bad issues with it at all maybe been on it for so long doesn't bother me, 8 years and still going"

Tammy13 August 15, 2016

"I cant for the life of me control my emotions and frustration everything makes me so irritated and upset I want to cry scream and fucking punch shit and im not even like this I snap over stupid shit and i can explain that I don't even want to upset but I just fucking can't control it i have so little energy and generally feel like crap especially when I'm acting like a crappie human being it's only been a few weeks and I wish it would ware off already. I don't know if it prevents child birth or whatever but I definitely don't want to have sex I don't even want to be touched im stressed the hell out as well"

AtrociaMunster (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"I was on depo for over seven years. I never had any bad side effects and it helped tremendously with my horrible moods. I had extremely irregular periods (I would be off my period for less than a week each month) and after two shots I quit having one completely. I have had no spotting either. I've gained about 30 lbs in that time, but getting older and married may have done that. I just recently stopped my shots and it's been one month since I was supposed to get it. I've already noticed I get mad and cranky faster. Hopefully just a coincidence."

88krl August 12, 2016

"I'm just about to hit the 2 year mark on the shot. I get my shot regularly and never skip an appointment. I rarely see people talk about being on the shot for more than a few months. I chose this to help regulate my period and for birth control. I had awful, heavy periods before this. When I first started my period lessened and after the first year completely stopped. The only "con" is that I have gained weight since I started taking this. I'm wouldn't exactly blame this for it though, and so what if it's a few pounds. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who wants better control over their periods, and don't want to worry about pills or something being put inside them."

Nova_192108 August 11, 2016

"I've been on depo for about a year, and at first I absolutely loved it. No periods and no noticeable side effects at first. However, I started noticing frequent mood swings and often feelings depressed. On top of that, I have also had painful intercourse and my OBGYN says this is because of decreased estrogen levels which cause women to be less "wet" - which she said is very likely to be caused from the shot. I've also had serious trouble losing weight since I've been on the shot. Don't do it!!"

Not_worthit (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 9, 2016

"I've been on the shot almost 2 months and loving it since reading all the bad reviews ever since I've got it I've watched what I've been eating and started swimming 5 days a week with occasional abdominal work outs and have seemed to have lost weight with the shot! No period yet so happy about that though and very easy to use acne has cleared up mood swings practically gone and have been generally happy! I would recommend to anyone who is like me and forgets things very easily."

Amybaby-98 August 9, 2016

"My teenage daughter (17 yrs) got the shot 3 weeks ago and it has been devastating. Has caused her personality changes, she is dangerously impulsive, gets angry in a few seconds which has never been like her. She eats constantly as she says she is always hungry. It has caused her to have horrible judgement and because of the shot she has had to go into therapy to teach her coping skills. I would never recommend it to anyone."

Dakay (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

"I just got this shot 1 week ago and I don't even notice a difference. I can't tell I even got it. I have actually been in a better mood since receiving it. Not everyone I know has had the same experience. So all I can say is it's worth a shot. No pun intended :)"

Sarahmomma August 4, 2016

"I started using depo when I was 18 after the birth of my first child. Worked excellent!! 0 complaints, i had no period,weight gain or emotional crap. I LOVED IT plus I was breastfeeding and it didnt mess with that. I used it for 3 years. I quit and about 6 months later got pregnant with my second baby. About a year and a half after baby #2 I tried depo agian.... i was moody but not to bad and agian no period.. took it at the 3 month mark and it bit me in the butt badly... I had every bad side effect possiable. I felt like I was crazy and pregnant, had constant spotting it was horriable. Needless to say I stopped.. and about 6 months later was pregnant with baby#3 my doc tells me its a great BC for younger girls....."

Ak4x4girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2016

"The depo has its ups and downs for sure. Sex is great, my boyfriend never wears condoms and even though we should be safer he never pulls out. However I have gained about 15-20 pounds which is unfortunate because I used to always be my old certain weight. I noticed it just increases your hunger so if you watch what you eat and slow your roll on the food you should be fine or only gain a few pounds. I also don't get periods which I LOVE but when it's about time for a new shot I do spot a little."

dreeeeeeaa2 August 2, 2016

"I opted to start depo after giving birth to my first born. Prior to taking it, I was having problems with anxiety and infrequent panic attacks following his birth; as, I assume, many new mothers do. Following the injection was one of the worst bouts of depression I have ever experienced in my life. I went to several psychiatrists as well as my gp, seeking treatment. Because I am breastfeeding there was not but so many medicines they could try. Celexa made me hallucinate, and a week or so into Zoloft I experienced a panic attack that I couldn't calm down from. I began smoking again to cope. We're a low income family, and I couldn't afford to keep going to the doctor. I eventually gave up. The injection wore off, and the depression did too."

Emsmaly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2016

"I got my first depo shot about a week ago. I went right from the pill to the shot. this shot is RUINING my life right now. I am constantly nauseas, I have chronic fatigue, and I have constant head aches. I also can't stop eating and feel hungry even after a big meal. I am praying that these side effects deminish bc it is making my social life, professional life, and personal relationships very rough."

jpal113 July 30, 2016