User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I had a boyfriend for a few months and our relationship started to get serious so I decided that I needed to start some sort of birth control. I am awful with remembering to take my medicine everyday. This shot was an easy fix for that. You get a shot then don't have to think about taking anything again for three months and you just go get another shot. This birth control is very effective and easy to keep up with, but one of the side effects was weight gain. I figured that I'd be fine since my doctor told me it just increases your appetite so as long as you watch what you eat you would be fine. This shot made me hungry all of the time. I gained 30 pounds from September to February. I got off of the shot and the weight is not easy to lose."

Allison550 January 14, 2017

"I've had a very good experience with this form of birth control. No bleeding at all, no side effects, not an issues what so ever. I've been takin it for about 9 months now and feeling fine"

Riley s January 13, 2017

"In the beginning I had bad headaches, vomiting & non stop periods. Now after 12 months of this the only issue is weight gain. But having a small stomach I only gained 5 pounds. I have gained and lost (w/o exercising). I would say this is really effective but with side effects not so much. I went to see my doctor about my periods last time I went in she said if it doesn't stop after this cycle I should change birth controls. And is has she was right! If you think you will stop your periods so soon stop assuming and give depo a try! Its super effective and I'll definitely continue using it!"

Meggieyo (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2017

"I have been on it for 16 years when I just had my first child I was18, I have no menstruationl, I have gained of course, I feel upper stomach pains and was even being treated for ulcers and am endoscopy showed I didn't have ulcers, I have acne which does not seem to go, I have lost interest in sex etc... It is today that I have come to learn more about Depo after reading comments here. I did not know it's not supposed to be used for more than2 years. I had my shot on 9/12/17 . I will switch to something else. Thanks all for your comments."

T. J January 11, 2017

"Despite my weight/exercise habits, I have genetically high blood pressure and cannot take birth control with estrogen. The first two injections are the most difficult due to the spotting and bloating - seems to be the case for many. What I found to help is incorporating a large amount of soy/flaxseed into my diet - it completely stopped the spotting. I suppose the plant estrogens in both help when you're not getting estrogen from BC. I haven't experienced any moodiness or hair loss like some complain about. I take extra calcium/magnesium/vitamin D as bone density is a concern on this shot long term."

Day Inc January 10, 2017

"I was on this birth control for 6 months and I have nothing negative to say about it. I didn't have a period the entire time I was on it. I didn't deal with any of the side effects. Although, I did experience hair loss. Which isn't a problem to me because it grows back."

Brianna R. January 7, 2017

"I have been off Depot for almost 6 year so and I have several side effects from this shot that don't think will ever go away. It has really messed me up in don't know if anyone has the same issues I get severe migraines monthly and a rash that itches like no other where the injected the shot in my butt every month right before my period starts. It's really annoying. I am wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same kinds of things that I am. I have a lot of pain in my hands I get tingling in my hands and my feet."

Tmtb (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 7, 2017

"I have used this for about 5 months now and I have felt nothing but crappy the whole time. I throw up almost all the time. Feel exhausted constantly. Get diahrrra when I'm vomiting. Can't sleep well. Crazy mood swings. I'm not pregnant, so it obviously works. It just has gnarly side effects. I've see many others with the same issues. I chose it initially because I thought it would be easier than taking a pill every day. I didn't want to get any of the inserts. So, this seemed the best option for me. When I saw the side effects I didn't think much of it since I would have those kinds of symptoms when I was on my period or a few days before I would get it. But it the symptoms are to the extreme. my period is also lighter and longer."

Sassyg (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017

"I gained so much during the injections. I weighed 120 and was happy with my weight. Just after 6 months I weighed 145. I got off it because the weight gain was too much. My pants won't fit, shirts won't fit. I seriously need new clothes. I am so self conscious now and I never was before this. I just switched to the IUD and I love it. I'm still trying to lose the weight. Right now I weigh 143 and its so hard to lose the weight. I exercise everyday and eat healthy but its a tough process. I don't recommend going on this birth control. Go for something else."

Maggieee1021 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

"This was my first and only method of bc since 2001. So I can tell my experience with depo was great. No periods just spoting before shot was due. No pregnancies. Weight gained I can say I like to eat so I can't blame depo for that. Now I am thinking to do the nexplanon implant but I am scared of all the bad reviews I read thats why I decided to review depo who has being very effective to me, our bodys react different to each medicine and I hoping is better than depo or I will switch back."

gatauniversal January 3, 2017

"I got on the shot when I was 17. I'm 18 now. I've gotten it roughly 3 or 4 times. I had always had AWFUL periods and at the time it had been four years since I had gotten my first period. Initially I was scared to get the shot due to the things I had heard. I heard that it could cause weight gain, mood swings, excessive eating, and it could even result in making your period worse. Once I got the shot, I had my period maybe three times after that and it lasted for about three days each time. I haven't had a period for six months which is amazing when it used to be something I struggled with often. I weighed 117 pounds when I got my first shot. I weight 114 now. At first I was a bit on edge with my attitude but it was nothing serious."

Ceairea January 2, 2017

"I am on my 2nd shot of my depo, first shot was amazing but the second one which I had on 31 November went completely down hill, I haven't been on my period but when having sexual intercourse with my boyfriend I bleed! I don't even have to have sex. It's every time I orgasm I will bleed, as you can imagine for a 19 year old girl that's pretty embarrassing. I'm not the only one who has suffered in this way and I've also had 2 pregnancies scares. I have regular anxiety and depression also It's literally ruining my life! Really wouldn't recommend!"

Jess456 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

"I have been getting the shot since 2012, before having children. After a few years I was scared hearing that this shot causes infertility so I stopped in 2015' within 4 month a was pregnant! I had a good experience with the shot. My weight has been up and down but nothing drastic. The shot definitely protected me from getting pregnant and thats what I wanted %u263A I will continue with it because not sure about iuds yet"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2016

"Hair loss, weight gain, deforming cystic acne, hot flashes! At 32, after 2 years on depo I was told by my gyn that my symptoms weren't depo, but that I was 'in a new season of life'. I. I no longer trust that doctor, I will never take birth control again. I'm not 10 months past my last shot and just beginning to see signs that my hair is growing in, my acne is getting better even though permanent scarring has already taken place. This drug is the worst choice. Doctors don't tell you that you'll get osteoporosis,lose your hair, get acne, hot flashes and gain weight. They tell you it's safe and they tell you to take calcium and vitamin D. It is not safe!"

No longer trust doctors December 27, 2016

"My first birth control was the patch which I liked, no side effects. It was a pain though cause it would always fall off, so I decided to get the shot. My first shot I got extremely emotional. But that didnt last long. Eventually my period went away and I didnt experience any side effects. I chose to get off of it because I wanted to have a baby and I got pregnant seriously like a couple weeks after I stopped it. While I was breastfeeding I got on the pill but switched back to the shot. I spotted and bled more when I got the shot after I had the baby but it wasnt to bad. It might have contributed to me gaining 5 or more lbs but im not to sure. Overall i love this birth control!"

MannaM December 22, 2016

"So after the initial wave of sickness I went to school. I honestly thought I had picked up some kind of sickness! Then came the hormone distater.. I've felt like I've been PMSing x100 constantly. It NEVER stops. I'm an emotional wreck, I don't feel like I can function or make any rational decisions! I'm scared! It's going to be an insane challenge to deal with this for 2 more months.. god help me!! In addition, I've gained a little weight and had a huge increase in acne (again like being on your period X100). But hey at least I'm not pregnant......would never recommend or do this EVER again"

Kyliester (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2016

"I have been getting the shot since I was 16 (Now 22). No weight gain, no increased appetite for me but everyones bodies are different. I wasnt fond of the shot the first 6 months but all of my minor side effects dissappeared and my body became use to it. Once I wanted to conceive it took only 3 cycles to become pregnant. Now that I have my daughter I will be going back on the shot and hoping I still have a good outcome with it."

girlsjustwannahavefun! (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 9, 2016

"19y/o been on depo for a little over a year, it's great. I haven't noticed any extreme side effects. I've been really sluggish and lethargic but I was already depressed before the depo shot so I can't say if it's related or not. Also I started smoking around the same time so it could just be that. I've had acne since I was 11 and since taking depo its cleared up a bit but don't know if it's from the depo. The only thing that sucks is I'm pretty sure my sex drive has been affected by the shot but it's not a big deal. I missed my last shot because I moved so I'm thinking of switching to the implant because I hate driving 45 mins to the closest PP but depo has worked so well for me I don't know if it's worth switching at this point"

kt coastin December 8, 2016

"I had my first shot of depo 5 weeks after I had my second baby. I am breastfeeding so my options were the depo shot or the progesterone only pill (which the dr said is not as effective). At the time of my first shot I was cleared to workout so I immediately went back to my workout routine. 4 months after my first baby I was 10 lbs under pre-baby weight and by the time she was 6 months old I had gained some muscle back and looked and felt like myself again. I weighed 175 lbs at my first shot of depo when my baby was 5 weeks old and I'm now 170 and she is 5 months old. I didn't gain weight, but it basically stopped my weight loss. If you are at all concerned about weight loss do not take this drug!! I just want it out of my system for good."

Anonymous December 6, 2016

"I got the shot May 5, right after a period. I only did one round of the BC. I had two weird kindof super-low flow and darkish periods over the next two months, that both gradually lightened until I had no period. I got my period back Dec 2 of that year. I had a lot of hormonal issues however that were sorting themselves out while I didn't have my period. Mostly it was a lot of emotional extremes. Little things bothered me like they were big things. Overall, I'd take this birth control again. I'm certainly not pregnant, and I certainly got my money's worth out of the shot. It cost me a $30 co-pay with Blue Cross in NC, plus the price of the two appointments I needed. One consultation, and one 3-minute appointment of getting the shot."

banananicecream (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

"I've been on depo since I was 18, I'm now 23. I"ve had no side effects, thankfully. It's really just hit or miss, you wont know until you give it a try. Only complaint I have is my arm is REALLY sore the first day & sometime through the second day after you get the shot. If you do choose to use this form of birth control find out your recommended dose of vitamin C & D, you definitely need these vitamins while taking this drug! I get my shot every 3 months at plan parenthood & pay out of pocket $125, so it's about $40/mo? NOT TOO BAD! I've never became pregnant while using depo & I only have spotting during the two weeks my depo is due so about once every 3 mo."

6 year GREAT experience (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 1, 2016

"I was on it for about 5 "cycles" which is about 15 months. After the first month I did not get my period anymore OR spotting. I have been off of it for almost a year and still haven't gotten my period. For me it was quick easy convenient, I had no side effects what so ever...except the WEIGHT GAIN. I started right after I had my daughter and I was about 215. I am now pushing 270 (don't judge). I fully understand the shot itself cannot make you gain weight, it just gives you more of an appetite but my god, that's a lot of weight in a year and a half. I am also convinced it messed with my metabolism but there's no medical evidence I can find to support that. It's also scary how strong of a dose of hormones it is."

AbbyK (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2016

"I've been on the shot for about 2 and a half years. The first few times I got the shot I had some inconsistent spotting. I could never tell when it would occur. After a while my body adjusted and I haven't bled since. Before I got in the shot I weighed about 98 pounds and now I'm at 110. THE SHOT DOES NOT MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT. The shot increases your appetite and it's what you eat and how much you eat that makes you gain weight. However no one informed me about the fact that it weakens your bones until about 1 month ago."

PrincessP2016 November 23, 2016

"If I could rate this product less than 1 I would. AWFUL! I was never told by my provider it could cause fertility issues in the future I have been off it for almost a year and still don't have a regular period back. My period symptoms have increased in intensity. It also over the period of 18 months I was using it caused me severe anxiety and weight gain. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone."

Hatedepo (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 23, 2016

"I have been on the depo injection since I was 15 and I'm now 30....its been so efficiant! I have gained some weight in that time but that could easily be down to just growing up and life style choices. I had my period for a couple of months after I started on it but haven't had a period since then. I do now go for a bone scan every 2 years to check for osteoporosis but so far everything has been fine. I have however started to take calcium vitamins to just give me a boost without eating a lot of dairy. Only downside I can say about it is it has given me some skin issues or I believe it has contributed to making psorisis and ezcema worse."

Digirose November 18, 2016