User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 240 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"This is the worst! I had my baby girl in March 2016, I decided I dont want to get pregnant soon, having 2 kids now, for now my baby days are over.my age of 23 I can't get "fixed", so since I got pregnant with #2 from the pill I decided to go for it and give the depo shot a chance, well, it was the WORST decision I could have ever made, hell I'd rather become pregnant again then keep going with these side effects of being constantly mad and angry, always yelling at my 3 year old and my other half, (my baby girl is always smiles so I never get frustrated over crying or fussy ness, she doesn't cry lol). Keep in mind, I had my LO in march 2016, it's all most Oct 2016 and I'm STILL on my period, EVERYDAY! Will not be going back for my next shot"

Jdjie252764316 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

"When I started getting the depo shot I was 15. It was a lot easier to do that than have a 15 year old remember to take a pill everyday. The only downsides to this shot were the constant hunger and the going back to the doctor every 3 months to get another one. I did experience weight gain, but I mean c'mon, if you're going to eat more, then you have to exercise more. I took it for 3 years and had not gotten pregnant. Just use common sense and you will absolutely love the shot!"

kennarae97 September 23, 2016

"I beg you ladies that are wondering if they should give this a try to do their research. I'm 24 and have never been on birth control until this year. I asked my doctor for his recommendation and he said depo provera is very effective. I got one shot - which lasts 90 days. At first it was great, as someone who had bad cramping and heavy periods, it was amazing to not feel pain nor experience heavy bleeding. After about 30 days that all changed. I started spotting every single day. Every single day! You need a lot of liners/pads/tampons. It has now been over 100 days & the spotting has not stopped. Some days are much heavier than others. The drug has worn off but the effects continue. I obviously never went back for another shot. Don't do it!"

Sososo555 September 21, 2016

"I am 13 years old and I used to have horrible cramps to the point where I would wake up in the middle of the night screaming in pain nothing would help. (Advil, or heating pads) I also had really bad acne and no face wash would help. Tampons were also super uncomfortable. After I started using depo all my cramps were gone I had no period, all my acne was gone, I definitely recommend this it changed my life."

Rocky Nielsen September 20, 2016

"I am writing this review because most people don't bother writing reviews when they have a positive experience, and it can sway others not to use depo when many women don't have issues. I have been on depo consistently for 5 years now, with zero complaints. In the first year I had irregular periods, and stopped having them completely after that. I get about one period per year now, if that. I did not get any acne, but I've never had acne problems anyways. I do believe depo causes weight gain, although it could just be because I started taking it at 18 years old (about 120 lbs) and now I'm 23 (145 lbs). I can't say for sure if it's the depo, but I have to work out just to stay the same. All around though, I would recommend depo 100%!"

DevinP September 20, 2016

"After trying every single birth control besides the depo shot and the iud I decided to give the shot a chance. Worst idea of my life. Iv been on it for 8 months and I can't wait to never get my next shot. As soon as I got my first shot I noticed my appetite increase. I was never full, I could eat all day. After I ate breakfast I couldn't wait for lunch. All I wanted to do was eat and sleep all day. I called my doc and she said to give it 3 months. After 3 months I was depressed I hated my life and I couldn't stop eating. 6 months in I gained 21 pounds. I didn't want to wake up ever. I couldn't wait to get home and go to sleep after work. All I keep thinking about is suicide. I will never go on this birth control again."

.....jamie September 19, 2016

"ok first and foremost depo is very effective in preventing pregnancy. BUT it has horrible side effect during and after you on it. while i was on it i broke out like crazy, was moody and achy. I never had perfect skin but this did crazy things to my skin. It also made my nipples extremely sore to the point i thought i may have been pregnant. Coming off of it , i just decided not to get my next shot. I was on it for 3 months so only took one injection. I got my period a week before i was due for my next shot, i don't know if that mmeantthe shot wore off faster than expected or it meant the levels from the hormones was decreasing. my period was extremely heavy and i bled for over two weeks straight. I also noticed coming off of the shot and while on it had really bad isomnia. I would not get on it again. to top it off it has horrible long term effects if your on it too long."

ysomthin September 15, 2016

"I was on the depo for about 5 years. I stopped taking it February of 2015 and then I got pregnant in July of 2015. The reason why I stopped taking it was to give my body a break. You shouldn't not have a period that's part of being a woman but I liked the idea. I only got on the shot because I had really bad migraines and really bad cramps. It all went away when I got my first shot. So that was all good. But then I started taking the shot after I had my daughter and it's been the worst experience yet. I was without the shot for almost a year and when I started taking it again I had extreme anxiety (I still do I just stopped taking the shot) I have had weight loss and gain. mood swings and depression. Wouldn't take this shot again."

B. (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2016

"As far as birth controls go, this is slightly more tolerable than any of my past experiences (not saying much). My first shot was August 2nd. It's September 12th. I have actually lost weight, which I attribute to the Ketogenic diet I started 2 weeks ago. My acne got worse at first, but I discovered cell salt #12 (srsly look it up #lifechanged) and my skin has never been better. My maybe-S/O mentioned that I've been moody, but I chalk it up to it making me less tolerant of his shit ;) I've been on my period since August 16th, so I've been without sex for a while (might explain the moodiness). Point: is any birth control worth it? Lower sex drive? Weight gain? Irregular periods? Change in personality? Let's use condoms, y'all <3"

K-feminism (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2016

"I received my first shot in March 2016 after being on the pill for 5 years. At first I loved the shot. I didn't have to worry about taking it at a set time every day (which I was terrible at) and my period has completely gone away. About a week before I was due for the second shot, I noticed an increase in my acne on my face, chest, and back as well as some spotting. That was the first week of June 2016 and I haven't stopped spotting since. My acne has also gotten significantly worse and I have never struggled with acne like this before in my life - even as a teenager. My stress level has increased significantly and I've gained over 20 pounds since June 2016. I will NOT be going back in November to get my 4th shot."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

"My daughter took this drug only ONE time and the side effects were horrible. She is never taking another. Her injection was in late June. In that time she has gained 17 pounds where with her level of diet and exercise she should have been losing weight. She has horrible acne, where she's never had it before, she's constantly tired despite getting more sleep per night than she has in years, and she's irritable and depressed. Her doctor thought it was worth a try because she had such painful periods, but here's the thing. DP is a hormone. It disrupts the hormonal balance in your body (which is why you can't get pregnant) but hormones are not something that you should mess with. ONE little shot, and the side effects can last for months."

D Dogg (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

"I just hit the 1 year mark taking the depo shot and decided to get off of it for multiple reasons. I was bleeding the first 3 months straight I was on it but they assured me it would go away and it did. I has mood swings like no other but the biggest turn off for me was the weight gain. I gain 31lbs over a year time frame WHILE going to the gym 3-4 times a week and eating healthy. I thought something was wrong and so did my primary doctor so he did blood work on me an i'm as healthy as a horse! He mentioned my birth control and it all made so much sense. My friend and I started it around the same time and she was 123lbs, a year later she gained 36lbs and almost weighs 160lbs. I also lost my sex drive."

Cole2974t5 September 8, 2016

"DO NOT GET DEPO-PROVERA INJECTION! I decided on this form of birth control to help my painful periods, and hopefully to make them go away completely. I liked how I wouldnt need to worry about taking a pill everyday.. But... about a week after I got my injection I started bleeding.. A LOT. It WAS NOT just "spotting", it was a full on period. I thought, okay maybe I just need to get used to this new birth control. It has now been 4 months, and I am still bleeding. I saw my doctor to tell her about this crazy bleeding, about 3 months in from getting the injection, and at three months, you are supposed to get your next injection. Of course I did not get it again, but still continue to bleed. So please, do not get the depo shot! nightmare!"

r92! September 8, 2016

"I'm on my 2nd shot right now. My first dose was scary. My body reacted in the worst ways. My blood sugar was dropping (I don't have any issues w that) I felt dizzy, And hot i couldn't stop the constant Hot flashes. I experienced some of the worst mood swings EVER freaking out & feeling out of control of my body and emotions. Even my family was telling me to stay away from them. BUT After the 2-3 week adjustent It was amazing..no problems.. I bloated a little for about a week before I got my next dose. after the next dose I adjusted for a week and I've been good to go!! If you can get through hell week it's worth the no periods."

Heatharrrtttt September 8, 2016

"I got on depo in April and a little bit later around may I noticed weight gain in my arms not so much my stomach in July I went to take my second shot and every since the second shot I always feel bloated I have gain extreme weight in my stomach and face . I have always been thick but never had a tummy now I have a gut . I'm always hungry irritated all the time and the worst mood swings. "

Haleybob September 8, 2016

"Bn on-NuvaRng-MiniPill-OrthoEvra&Xulanepatch-Currently on wk2 of 2ndShotDepo here we go:- Depo better than the Nuva Ring, Mini Pill, Patch because nothing to worry about other than the appt for the shot every 3 months,great for busy women.- Depo doesnt require you to wear something like a ring, patch or implant.- Thumb up4 the ring but we have furry dog & hair would end up tangled around in the ring when id remove yes thats super gross.-on mini pill while breast feeding my kid, overall i didn't enjoy the lack of estrogen. See depo review.-Patch was itchy, sad when Xulane was intro'd, but i adapted. Then I had a migraine/aura that sent me to ER so Depo was chosen so I have no sex drive and my discharge is thick clumpy during intercourse. I miss patch"

bluefreak (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

"This is my 6th cycle shot. I originally did pills. But due to not wanted a period at all. I decided to take the shot. Im plus size 250. 5.9 i didnt gain any weight. I do seem tired more and the numbness in my legs does happen. But with speaking to my nurse. They say it take calcium out our bones. So. Drink milk take vitamins. The mood swings and depression. I believe. I am more irritable. I think thats a lil me too. Not the shot. To clear up. I love it. No cycle. No worries to take a pill. Make sense to me."

BeckyFame September 6, 2016

"Side effects are the worst.. This shot has ruined my life for the past 3 weeks I've been on it.. I have body tremors,hair loss,headaches,nausea, dizzy,tiredness,weakness and that's just some.. I have gotten anxiety I dont wanna do anything besides be in my house ive never been this kind of person and its scary... Poison to my body... Do your research ...."

deedee559 (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2016

"Definitely research before you start this. I didn't because my dr prescribed it and I thought they wouldn't give me something this awful. I've gotten 4 shots and am just now realizing all the issues I've had are because of it. I have no sex drive extremely moody and have had weight gain and eat right and work out daily. I'm a happy person and have been irritable and short tempered since I've been getting the shot. I highly recommend researching anything but especially shots because once you get that shot its in your system and you have to wait for it to get out"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2016

"I was on the Depo for over 9 months. Its a very great birth control because you only need to get it every three months. The only thing I hated was gaining weight. I was 120 pounds when i started. I now weigh 145 and I cant seem to control the weight. I never struggled with my weight. That is why Im getting off of it and I'm switching to Para-guard IUD next week. It was a great birth control to use, and if it wasnt for the weight I gained i would have continued it. Beware of the weight you will gain with Depo!"

Maggieeeee September 3, 2016

"I tried it once my sophomore year in high school. I bled the entire time and tried to commit suicide. It made me crazy. I had many mental breakdowns. I got back on the pill for a year then got back on the shot because I can't remember to take any meds. This time around was better, but I have gained weight I can't get rid of. I don't get a period and because of that I always have yeast infections. It's effecrive, but many of the women I know say their ovaries went into "hibernation." Do not try it."

og.no.depo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

"I just had my 3rd shot and I'm very happy with it. Before I got on the shot i had tried several different pills. They all made me have mood swings and depression, and I felt tired all the time. My doctor talked me into trying the depo shot and it has been amazing. I feel full of energy and I haven't had any mood swings and best thing is I haven't had a period since!!!! The only side effect that I don't like is the weight gain. I have been working out like crazy to prevent the weight gain, which I haven't gained any weight but I can't loose any. So basically I'm working out just to stay the same. This sucks but if this is the worst of the side effects for me then I can deal with that."

Bellalea (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

"I'm 18 and I've had 4 Depo shots. So many things in my body and personality have changed and I have just today realized that it's all because of this shot. I have had horrible stomach pains almost every day sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes coming with diarrhea. Also I've had no sex drive, mood swings, terrible anxiety, and depression. I am never getting this shot again, any other form of birth control would be better then this one. Do NOT try the Depo shot."

Taytay123123 August 26, 2016

"I wish I could take it back. Terrible experience. I had horrible muscle aches where the shot went in for 5 months. I felt bloated all the time. I bled every single day, EVERY DAY. It was dark red blood. I only did the shot once. Six months later I "sort of" got my period back. I am still waiting for a normal cycle, I will wake up and not know how much I will bleed for the day. I got very emotional when I didn't go back in to get the second shot. Really screws with your hormones. It does what it is supposed to do but the side effects are not worth it to me. Never ever again. Stay away."

Never ever Again0 August 25, 2016

"I've gotten 2 shots so far, and I'm pretty sure it's making me completely crazy. Even scarier, since I started this medicine, I started getting crazy headaches. I was at work and my face started going numb and then I started seeing all these bright lights and then I couldn't see out of my left eye... Btw I'm 28. I haven't gotten pregnant, so it's effective for that, however I would NOT recommend this. I've always been moody, but the feelings I've experienced with this are so overwhelming sometimes... it feels like I'm going to have a panic attack like every other day. It's good if you want to be depressed, literally question your mental health, bleed every single day ... Totes switching."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016