User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 263 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I had one shot and came on my period about two weeks late then was on/off quite heavily for the rest of the 3 months, I was on more than I was off in all I think I was off for about 4 days give or take. It’s been a year since I last had the shot and my periods still aren’t fully back to normal, I used to be extremely regular, I now come on twice a month, and never know when am going to come on! I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone"

Jadie98 October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay I’m on this medicine right now and I am a older teenager and I don’t recommend it! I mean yes I can have sex but still I’ve been gaining so much weight that I have to starve myself!! I’m always so moody and I never want to do anything. I get very depressed especially at night and I cry so hard until my throat is raw! I don’t mind being able to have sex without worries but it’s not worth all this that I’m going through! I honestly miss my period I feel so unhealthy without it."

Gocam123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hate the depo. It completely took away my sex drive, so the shot is pointless anyway when I’m not sexually active. I’ve also been on my period/spotting for 7 weeks. This shot is miserable I can’t wait for it to be out of my system. The negative side effects seem to effect more people than the positive! I highly recommend getting another form of birth control. I wish this didn’t even exist."

Okcliv October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had it for two year now. It works great, I haven't had any surprise pregnancies... But, I have gained 40 lbs since then despite exercising a 3-5 times a week and controlled eating habits. The first few months I felt really fatigued and got a lot of large acne flare ups and my appetite increased like crazy - I was never satisfied/full. I gained 10 lbs those first few months. I've had no bleeding at all, which was nice. Those are my only complaints. I will be getting off the shot bc with all my physical activity and limited eating, I still gain weight :("

A-Rob September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would NEVER use this! Going into my 4th year I started having pains in my pelvic area that lasted 30mins-6hrs. It would wake me up, at the time I had these intense pains I would bleed then it would just stop. Went to OB and got a pelvic ultrasounds, I had tremendous blood clots in my uterus that wouldn't pass. The shot stopped working and stored my monthly flow on my uterus the dr said seemed like it stopped working for at least a year. Had to get cervical dilation to see if it'll come out, it didn't so a couple days later I got a D&C. It's been 3 weeks since and I'm having heavy bleeding. Which I think is only because my hormones are off! Do NOT get on this shot!!! Hopefully I can get something to regulate this!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve been on the birth control shot for almost two years now, I absolutely love it. The beginning of the shot sucks, you bleed a lot and it almost never stops. But after a little while, it takes your period away. I haven’t gotten a period since probably may of this year (no I’m not pregnant I’ve made sure) it hasn’t made me gain weight, or have any other problems! I would highly suggest it."

Jesaunders09 September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the shot, and I have been able to have sex with no problems. But, I suggest if you don't know your partner that well then it would be a good idea to wear a condom as well. I love the depo, I don't get a period. The only thing is you have to know how to control your appetite. Because, it can make you very hungry. But, other than that. I believe this is the best method of birth control."

Kaylee p September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dr suggested for heavy periods and almost anaemic. One month no bleed but then the bleed started and has now been two months of on/off light to heavy with minor to major clotting. Had ultrasound and have two fibroids. Tummy upset, cramping, fatigue and loads of money spent on liners, tampons and pads. As I took this for heavy bleeding and low iron levels, it has done nothing but cause trouble. Seeing a Gyno today for info on surgery as a permanent solution... but then I am 47 and blessed with children. BIG RISKS to consider if you are deciding on this horrible shot!"

Anae Mia (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the Depo injections for around 2 years during Uni, having previously been on the Microgynon pill. In many ways, it was perfect for me- it completely stopped my periods, which was so convenient, and I had no cramps or pain at all. The problem was, my skin gradually got worse and worse, and stupidly at the time, I didn't put it down to the Depo. I had always had mild acne, but the Depo made it so much worse and just constant. Finally, I was taken off Depo due to possible bone density issues for long-term use (over 2 years), and switched to Yasmin, which cleared my skin up completely! I know other people who had Depo and it didn't affect their skin at all, so I think it depends on your hormones personally. As BC alone it was ideal!"

Cheerio4226 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I started the shot on July 20, 2017 and the day after I had my period which I thought was normal because my period is usually around that time. But then it didn't go away! At first it started off normally then after 4 days it started to get lighter and I thought it was just about to go away, NOPE!! I was spotting for about 2 weeks. I finally went away for about a week and there it was again. Its September 13 and I'm still spotting. I've been bleeding nonstop for so long and is so annoying, I've done research and talked to other girls and heard what they had to say about when they got there first shot and they said they bled too 3,4 or 6mo! going to get my next shot which will be next month but if the bleeding is continuously then I quit!"

Erma26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started the shot in June. The first month I spotted and when it was about the time I get my period it got a little heavier for two days and back to spotting for 2 more weeks. I've had heavy periods since I was ten, I don't have fibroids just bleed really heavy. I recommend this shot if you have heavy periods. We don't use any other contraception and no pregnancies here. The only reason I give it a 8 is because it made my anxiety come back. This is a secret weapon and I think a lot of the negative reviews are just women who want to keep the depo shot secret to themselves. Give it a shot but also some time for your body to adjust to it."

Fancy G (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely hate the depo provera shot ! I GAINED soo much weight its disappointing! After I had my baby I went back to my regular weight which was 130 , I had my baby on 2/27/17 & had went back to the clinic for my 6 week ob post partum and then the nurse had asked me what wa sI going to use for contraception, and i answered "condoms " and she responded with " you know some condoms can fail - how about some birth control pills, shot, IUD and the nexplanon , these are our top 4 popular birth control options of course we have more but definitely recommend these ! " as she mentioned all of them she started giving me information about the 4 options , so then I decided on the depo , because I'm not good with remembering to take pills every day and at the same time , I definitely don't want something in my uterus or in my arm , at that point depo sounded perfect. I noticed a lot of mood changes, hungriness and weight changes. I was depressed, emotional , most the time , was extremely rude to my husband, and I was tired all the time, all I wanted to do is sleep. I was hungry all the time i was eating every 2 hours I could not control my hungriness and at that moment all I wanted to do is eat and sleep. Then I started noticing I was getting thicker around may waist & decided to checked my weight, I had gained 40 pounds in 3 months and first time taking it! I never went back to get my second depo . I honestly don't recommend any birth control.. I know every one bodies are different but still they are bad for us believe it or not !"

FannyQ September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I will never ever take this shot again I was on it for about 3-4 years and when I got off of it and got married it took me 3 years to get pregnant it put me in a deep depression!! If anyone is kids in the future I highly recommend get on a different form of birth control!!!!!"

Carebear21 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on the depo shot since March 2017. That same night I ended up having a bad chest pain. Like someone stabbed me. Then it stopped for a couple days and then back again. I didn't think much of it. So further on I stopped having pains until my second dose in June 2017. Then it was my back hurting on the right side. It would hurt off and on and then go away for a few weeks. As 4 weeks pass I started having pains again. Waking me up in the middle of the night. I kept feeling like I was going to vomit but it would never come. So I went to the ER and got checked. They took blood samples, urine samples, chest and back x-rays. Everything came back negative. Then we thought it was my gall bladder and still nothing wrong. Not doing the third"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had the shot twice now. About to get my third. There's been some irregular bleeding. And it's mostly after sex. But no full period. No cramps, PMS, never wear tampons or pads anymore. It's been very efficient! I've taken tests just to be sure too! "

Samcb25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on the shot for 5 months now and over all I don't mind some of the side effects (to me they seem mild). The most annoying one is the irregular bleeding, for example: I've had 1 regular period since the start, then it stopped the next month, then I bled (spotted) the whole next month, now I am just spotty throughout the month on and off. I still get PMS symptoms, but they're not as intense as before use. It did not help clear up my acne (existing hormone issue) but it is less of a hassle than the pill. I did increase my Vit. B intake with this method (as recommended). I rather deal with irregular spotting than a child so I will continue use."

Working as it should. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the shot in June due for another one in September . I am debating on whether to get it again or for the main simple fact I have irregular periods its looks its going to start but never does . So just a warning a lot of these reviews are true personal experiences. And I don't think I want it again"

Cowgirl1256 August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the shot for almost a year in October I went to my doctor today for my shot I am still bleeding I bled for a week straight I want to stop bleeding I had blood clots for 3 days the blot clots stopped now I am bleeding heavy before my shot my doctor said the lining of your Uterus sheds that Is why I was bleeding I know that when I am on the birth control needle it takes a week to work I hope that the bleeding will finally end so I can stop using pads."

Weddinggown August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took one shot , at the end of Feb. 2017. Missed my next dose on purpose because the Depo completely killed my sex drive. A week after my missed dose, I had severe anxiety, had to leave work early because of it. I've struggled w/ anxiety in the PAST and had learned to keep it under control very very well. This time I could not stop the intrusive anxious thoughts, and life had been going well, so no reason to be anxious. I also experienced a period of depression which seems to go in and out. It's been 2 months since my missed dose and although it's less, anxiety and depression is still there. I would not recommend any type of HORMONAL BC to anybody because as far as I can see, many other types of BC cause the same effects during or after."

MOOD SWING HELL (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using depo for 4 years continuously and it has been such a blessing. I've had no side effects. I haven't had a period the whole time I have been on it, and I personally love that."

AshleighA July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never have used any birth control until after I had my baby so I got on the shot right afterwards. The pros no period, no pregnancy. Cons my sex drive was like a on and off switch, weight gain, also no energy so its been a year that I've been on it I plan on getting in the gym you have to stay active with it I want to get off it but don't want to get pregnant and don't want to try anything else. I thought about the pills but don't think I will remember"

Anonymous July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"WORST SHOT EVER!! I just had one shot done and didn't even give the 2nd shot after 3 months a try. Gave me horrible head aches, acne that's so huge I look disgusting to even go out in public, pain on my right ovary 24/7 , made me super mad and angry to the point my bf broke up with me and I'm even off the shot now and still have pain on my ovary . It's been 7 months and I only had one shot just ONCE and still no period . It's really upsetting and it makes me suicidal . It also made my boobs tiny IDK how that's possible but they went from C cups to As and still not back to normal ."

Starlove84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This shot is terrible and I do not recommend it at all. My mood swings are terrible, I was put on an anti depressant because it made my anxiety terrible, and the abnormal, random, heavy bleeding with no warning after being on it for almost a year SUCKED. Not only was the bleeding random and heavy, it was for weeks at a time too. The shortest period I had was about a week. The only good thing that came of it is it definitely prevented pregnancy for me and I didn't gain weight from it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am so thankful for this birth control. I switched from the pill to depo because the pills gave me horrible anxiety and depression. Immediately after I switched, I was myself again. After two doses, my periods stopped. I know birth control affects everyone differently, but I have had no negative side affects at all. My only complaint is after every injection, I would get a headache for a couple of days. I'm 21 and I just hit the two year mark, and my doctor recommended that I switch to a different BC this month and I'm so sad and nervous... I am worried about getting the negative side affects of a new BC after being worry free and comfortable for 2 years."

Allie321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just hit the 2 year mark of being on the shot. Which they recommended to stop at this point. I am unsure what birth control to choose next. I have endometriosis and the shot has helped soo much by stopping my periods but it has also caused almost all side effects it can cause. Weight gain, drowsiness, headaches, fatigue, awful acne, swelling in my legs and ankles for over a year, you name it I've experienced the side effect.. I do recommend it for endo patients with severe pain and bleeding but those who don't have endo I wouldn't not recommend it as the side effects would not be worth it."

Alicyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017