User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"It was terrible! The beginning was fine I was having sex and wasn't pregnant so I was fine then 3 weeks into using the depo I was bleeding everyday !! Not even exaggerating it was so unpredictable I had maybe one day without bleeding a month and it wasn't a full day it was a half day! I was bleeding for 5 months and went to the doctors and they said I was anemic and gave me a hormone medicine to stop the bleeding I was still bleeding. Maybe around the 6 or 7 month I stopped and just gained a massive amount of weight I was 170 and went all the way to 250 while I was playing sports and working out. I finally got off and they told me it could be in my system for up to a year while I'm still trying to lose weight. I DON'T RECOMMEND"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wish I would've listened to the reviews before getting this shot. It has caused me to have severe anxiety and panic attacks. I can only hope that I'm able to go back to normal after these hormones are out of my system. Additionally, my acne has worsened and I'm hungry all the time. But none of that compares to the anxiety. I haven't felt like myself in weeks. Absolutely do not try this shot if you are able to get another method of birth control."

Don't Do It April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Believe the reviews!! I got my first shot last month. How is this legal?? I just have light brown bleeding everyday, hot flashes and night sweats every night. I can't sleep, and I keep having crazy vivid dreams - again every. single. night. I don't take any other medication and I never had crazy vivid dreams like this. Between the night sweats, vivid dreams and being anxious I probably sleep two hours a night and I have a 5 month old son who sleeps all night. I have acne and I have never had acne as a teenager or an adult. I had it slightly at the beginning of my pregnancy but it wasn't like this. I swear every bad side effect I read, I have! This has never happened with any meds before"

Natalie914 April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on depo for almost 4 years and I got off and had my son and went back on and this time around it is worse than before. I have lost so much weight I am always angry sad even depressed my hair is falling out and I've been spotting non stop and my sex drive is gone. smh I feel so bad because I don't want to have sex when I am always spotting. I will never ever get back on depo. 'm due for it in june but I'm not going to - I want my body and health back"

Justamotherwith1boy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst experience. My daughter was just 10 months old. I took first shot on January 9 and was supposed to take another one in March. As soon as I took the shot my periods became irregular. I went to my GP she said it's very common and it will continue and will stop after few days. I had periods for more than 30 days. I started to react very weird in those days. A few days later I felt some changes in my taste and then my husband asked me to do preg. Check. I was shocked to see the results. I never wanted to have a baby so soon. I was depressed and used to cry a lot. It was the worst time of my life.I Finally decided to continue with the pregnancy. My daughter is now 3 yrs and my son 1.5 yrs old. I won't recommend at all. I don't want anyone else to suffer"

Tripti12345 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been in this shot for 5 months. First 3 months I was always spotting & I was always angry. I always had acne but this shot made it worse. I started having nightmares and my anxiety was worse but I still decided to go on with my 2nd. Once I got my 2nd shot the bleeding went away, most of the side effects went away except for my acne it got worse. My skin hasn't been this bad in years! & my hair is falling out like crazy I'm afraid to even brush it. My sex drive also completely went away. I also started bleeding again this while on this and ever since I started bleeding again.im severely depressed. I don't know how to shake this feeling off. If you have a history of acne & depression pls don't get this shot. It will bring everything back"

Jasminese (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On Depo for 19 months, began taking it after my second child. Had no period. Major mood swings, constant exhaustion and trouble sleeping. No sex drive- after some research, I discovered why.. Depo is used as a CHEMICAL CASTRATION drug for sex offenders in multiple states. -My Dr did not mention that I was drugging myself like a convicted sex offender, did yours?"

What Your Dr Didn't Tell You (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on my second, and last, depo shot. The first time I got the shot I only experience spotting for about 2.5 months. During my second shot I've experience severe abdominal pain causing me to barely be able to eat for a few months now, depression that comes and goes out of nowhere, headaches, weakness and fatigue even if I sleep 8 hours I still feel exhausted throughout the day, and since the second shot I've had multiple anxiety attacks. I would not recommend this shot to anyone. I haven't felt like myself in months and even the smallest amount of stress will get to me and cause an anxiety attack or depression. Before the shot, I've never had any of these symptoms."

April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If you already suffer from anxiety, DO NOT TAKE THIS SHOT. I read the warnings and tried it anyway and I am 100% regretting it now. After my first shot, I felt moody and depressed, but I thought these were effects of the abortion I had a few weeks prior. Somehow, the mood swings continued. My anxiety worsened. I was having panic attacks every other night during the last week of the 3rd month. My body was exhausted. For some reason, I still didn't equate the stress to the shot. I took the shot again when it was scheduled to be given to me, and all hell broke loose. The fear and anxiety and sadness I felt during the first week of my first round were tenfold. I will NOT be taking this again and look forward to it leaving my system."

Regretful Depo-user April 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This shot is VERY effective for birth control, but the side effects are NOT worth it. I gained 17 pounds, had horrible mood swings, was constantly crying and moody, and I had the worst constant breakouts. I started it at 20 years old and had never had any acne in my life and had never had any problems with my weight. I immediately had bad side effects after starting the shot but decided to stick with it. I was on the shot for 9 months, and I thought that the side effects would go away, but they never did. It took me over a year and a half for my skin to get back to normal. If you try this shot and it does not work for you, I do not recommend staying on the injections because it takes forever for the medication to leave your system."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am currently laid in a ball In absolute agony after stopping the depo 2 weeks ago. I started it in October 2015 and the first 9 months were fabulous. On approaching my 4th injection I started bleeding, nothing major but it was constant and I have been like this for the last year. I have maybe 4 days a month of not bleeding. GP has put it down to stress. I have put on 2 stone since starting it, contrary to GP's belief that I am eating too much and not exercising enough and I feel utterly miserable... However, nothing compares to coming off it... Excruciating and constant headaches that feel like a permanent hangover, nausea, extreme hunger, skin so oily that my head is covered in but the bleeding is something else. Just don't start."

Don't accept it (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Awful stuff. If you have ever suffered with depression do not use this because it will make you very depressed - they don't tell you this. mood swings have been awful from angry to crying to anxious. I'm like a psycho on it. constant headaches, tiredness, stomach cramps, heartburn, feel dizzy and weak, nausea.. and the hunger! Omg the hunger.. I constantly feel like I haven't eaten for a week and even after eating a meal I still have hunger pain. The only good thing it's done for me (except prevent pregnancy) is I am losing weight even though I'm eating more because of the constant hunger. It seems to have made my metabolism go crazy. I've lost 5 pounds in the 4 weeks since I had the injection. Majority of people gain weight though I read."

Mellymoo March 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm coming off the depo soon, hoping the withdrawal symptoms aren't as bad as I heard. Initially the shot made me bleed for the first shot, 3 months, then it abruptly stopped. If I didn't get the shot right away, it caused some pretty awful mood swings if I didn't get it the first day possible. Lost a bit of weight in the breast area, went down a bra size due to the shot. Otherwise, no significant weight gain. No periods is a big plus! But mood swings are pretty bad."

Gabe C (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had absolutely no issues with Depo. I was on the pill for approx. 15 years and wish I had made the switch sooner. I'm generally prone to weight gain but didn't experience this at all after starting the shot; I started training for a fitness competition shortly after and was concerned it might be harder for me to cut weight but had no issues whatsoever. It's so much easier than having to take a pill every day and there are some great calendars online that tell you when you're able to go back for the next one and when you're deadline is. I have absolutely no problem recommending Depo to anyone."

ckoltun (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I loved the shot. I started the shot at the age of 16 and continued until I was 20. Yes you will bleed the first three months but mine was regular like my period from what I remember with a lil spotting in between. After three months my period was gone. Due to me being on it so long it took two years for my period to return which I didn't mind and I conceived about 4 moths after that. I'm now a full time mother of one beautiful healthy baby girl and have moved on to IUD Nexa due to me not wanting any more children and it being every three years. But honesty I loved the shot and only had weight gain."

Lovethemall March 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I would of got the Depo shot 9/12/15 day after giving birth to my son. First I got it I was okay didn't really notice any change. But the second and third time I noticed instead of me to gain weight I was losing weight from a size 10 to a size 6. I would get moody bad headache no appetite.. My last shot Was in June 17 been off it 9 months trying for a baby still nothing 2 days Ago I was bleeding but not sure If that Was my period. Haven't got my period since March 2015 was pregnant then the bleeding after birth then I got the shot?"

Ebo March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I opted the depo shot when I was 16. I was horrible at remembering to take medicine on time so I chose the shot. This is my experience. I can only speak for me. I got the shot in May 2006. Stayed on track of the shot due to the reminder I had a Dr's appointment on such and such day. I had light, 3 day periods. Never a day longer, never a day shorter. I had no weight gain. I had no cramps. I had no breakouts. I did not experience any dizziness, shortness of breath, or headaches. I didn't lose my appetite. I had no troubles. Then, like a genius, when I turned 18 I chose to get off the shot which was due in February. By April I had a positive pregnancy test. Wasn't hard for my body to change from even after almost 2 years."

0707 March 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I gained weight, became a blubbering mess of emotions, got pregnant, and had a miscarriage all while getting the shot exactly on time."

Lali227 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I received my first dose of Depo in Feb 2016. For ELEVEN months, I had nonstop bleeding. Every. Single. Day. I continued to get the shot every 3 months with the hope it would eventually stop, since I had no other side effects. Didn't affect my weight at all, no mood swings, no acne changes, no change in sex drive, etc. I went against my OBGYN's advice to take estrogen pills to stop the bleeding, as I wanted to see if my body would adjust naturally and I had noticed that the bleeding was slowly subsiding month by month. Sure enough, after my fourth dose of the shot (Jan 2017), my period completely stopped. Now, March 2017, I have had no spotting. If you can deal with a possible year long period, the end results are worth it."

Mariesoko (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on depo for 2 years and haven't had a period since going on this just the odd spot here and there before my next injection is due... but thats about the only good point for me. I'm currently waiting to be seen by a gynacologist due to suffering constant pain during sex and no sex drive at all! Which I believe is down to the depo, like others have said I've noticed weight gain too whilst on this as well as joint pains. One more good point used to have very bad skin but this seems to have cleared right up too since been on this so worth a try everyones different!"

amys93 February 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Everyone is different! however I do not suggest this medicine if can be avoided. Due to an abnormality in my blood, my only bc option was the depo shot. I have been miserable since day one and it's not getting any better. I read all the reviews against it but I was set that it would be different for me. Hard no! My acne tripled in severity. I experience shortness of breath and muscle fatigue on the daily. The mood swings have been out of control and ultimately I no longer feel like myself. This has really impacted my life and I strongly urge you to avoid."

Kleestar February 23, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I don't see good reviews ever for any bc, even my friends had issues with depo but not me, I loved it! Everybody is different, You just have to try it to see. I had some spotting at first but then no periods ever, no issues at all and I even lost weight. After I was on it for a year and then stopped. It took 3 months after I didn't get my next dose to even get my period again. I'll go on it again when I'm in need of birth control."

Meagen s February 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Depo really did not run well with me. Got my first shot in November and have bled for 3 months straight. Period-like bleed every. single. day without any break at all. Very heavy and clots too. Depo made me bloat awfully too, I'm guessing due to water retention but made me look almost pregnant! My skin got really bad on it too.. not sure if it was caused by the depo or not but my skin is usually fine. I won't be going back for my second shot.."

Lilyb1509 February 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Let me start by saying understand I absolutely hated this medicine.It made me gain tons of weight (60 lbs in the first 6 months), made hair grow darker on my body, acne, and lost every ounce of my sex drive (every single ounce). Basically, how this birth control works, is by turning you into an grumpy ugly troll (from my experience). The only good thing that came out of it was no period and I didn't get pregnant. And speaking of periods, since I've been off this medication, I have an abnormal cycle. I will get a 2-3 warning period, then it will be gone for about a week, then the real thing will start and last another week. Didn't have that problem until after this medication so I can only assume it is to be blamed."

JoelleBarns (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I been on the shot for 7 months now have had no side effects except weight gain which is a plus for me since I was 113 lbs and now am 135 lbs since I have always had so much difficulty gaining weight also after the 4th month my period went away don't know when and if I'll get it back which is also a good thing for me."

Kjm1992 February 11, 2017