User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

Birth Control 806 reviews 300 medications

6.7
Summary of NuvaRing reviews 806 reviews 6.7

Reviews for NuvaRing

For Birth Control "I have been on Nuvaring since I was 15, now I am 24 and I've only been on Nuvaring. I've enjoyed this product BUT I can say it has changed my mood and I have no sex drive. I've been with my boyfriend for 8 years and I just get angry at him for no reason. For years I thought I was mentally ill but I have finally realized it's my Nuvaring. Most people post on here have recently started using it, of almost 10 years of using this I can say it's a love/hate relationship. Pros: It does its job! Cons: Mood swings, headaches, and no sex drive. I am looking into nexplanon, but scared to turn out into a crazed fiend and put more strain on my relationship. I've been irregular all my life so I don't know with a new bc."

Almost 10 years on Nuvaring (taken for 10 years or more) May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I was on the pill before Nuva Ring and the pill made me moody and cry a lot. I'm definitely not one to be emotional. So I tried Nuva Ring now 8 months later I still love it. I really like that I can put it in and forget it for a month. I can skip periods if I want. Although I've found I can 2 months without a period but then I have to do the period thing so I don't get breakthrough bleeding. I'm also very much in control if I decided one day I didn't want it anymore I'd just take it out. I haven't had any weight gain. When I do get my period it's short and light. The only con I had was I lost sex drive for about 5 months. It's returned though so I'm happy. Everyone is different but I'd highly suggest giving Nuva Ring a try!"

Yup87 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Inserting and retrieving the nuva ring takes some getting used to but after a few tries, you'll get the hang of it. The side effects, however, were so overwhelming I stopped using the nuva ring after 2 months. The positives were I didn't have to think about it everyday and normally I have acne but on nuva ring I didn't experience break outs. The negatives were my mood. I was irritable, depressed and cranky after about a week on the ring. Generally I'm mild tempered, sweet and forgiving. Not on nuva ring. I was overly emotional; crying, yelling, grumpy, annoyed. It was affecting my quality of life so I removed it. I've been off of it for over a week now and feel like my goofy playful self again. I'll never go back. Its not worth it."

Not Worth It (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Some of you females here are so uneducated about the NuvaRing. It effects people differently. Don't fear another female from getting contraceptive just because you didn't know how to take care of yourself. - You take it out before having sex. That way it is not irritating you when you have sex. - you insert the ring so that it loops around your cervix. That way it doesn't fall out. -your mood swings can be managed with other medication. Learn to calm down & not respond. -Everyone has had acne. My review. I'm naturally a bitchy person who lacks emotion. I had no issue properly inserting the ring. I also downloaded an app reminder. I feel more happy & personable. I maybe losing weight also. I feel secure having an easy form of bc."

Annie G. (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I started having irregular periods when I started taking other medicine and sometimes I wouldn't have a period or I would bleed for 7-10 days. My doctor suggested I try birth control and after hearing all the options I chose the Nuvaring. I am glad that I did. Since starting, my cycle has been like clock work. I put the Nuvaring in for 3 weeks, remove and few days later my period starts. When I put it back in the next week my period stops. I love it and although I don't really need it for birth control it is a great way to make your irregular cycles regular again."

Monae Miller (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Please keep in mind when reading these reviews that every person is different and every experience with medication is unique. I have been on Nuvaring for a little over 1 year. I loved it for the convenience of not needing to remember to take a pill daily. However, I did notice the "belly bloat" about 6-7 months into taking it. I was almost concerned I was pregnant. I have always been lean, and I'm in my mid 20s. My weight and size are fairly consistent. Now, I'm at 12 months in (definitely not pregnant by the way) and I finally am noticing an overall weight gain in addition to my belly bloat. Total, about 10-15 lbs. I loved this method but my self confidence is suffering, so I am stopping (and hoping I see a change, as I am very active!)."

Mel0913 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "To make this review easy I'll share a list of the Pros and Cons that I have experienced on the NuvaRing while being on it for 5 years. Pros: very light periods with minimal cramping (although I am lucky enough that my periods beforehand were already pretty light but my cramps were horrible), super easy to use, can skip your period if you want to, insurance covered it, you barely know it's in there, can take it out for up to 3 hours while having sex. Cons: ZERO sex drive, moodiness, constant bloating, constant tiredness, cravings, weight gain, my vagina has actual become swollen after sex, sometimes painful sex. Everyone is different but the cons are outweighing the pros for me at this point so I am looking for a different option immediately"

Anonymous May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Bilateral Pulmonary Emboli directly due to Nuvaring use. Misdiagnosed by first couple physicians and sent directly to ER after another physician recognized the signs of a potential blood clot. I was extremely active, had a great career, and never thought something like this would happen to me. I really liked the Nuvaring for a variety of reasons, but nothing is worth dying for. This came very close to killing me and I had to make big changes to my life after my blood clots. Weigh Risks and Benefits with more than 1 physician, and look for alternatives!!!"

LiveRKW (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "So far so good. It has been about three weeks. Only real symptoms have been a decrease libido and weight loss (I've been eating the same amounts/foods and haven't increased exercise but have lost 2-3 pounds)"

M138 May 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I decided to take the nuvaring because I'm an insane freak on the pill. At first I did notice being moody, crying, along with some weird discharge or itching down there. But after a week the it subsided. My moods are now normal. I barely feel it inside. My boob size definitely has increased and my weight is still fine in fact the 5lbs I put on I definitely needed. It's only the first month of use so I definitely have to wait and see how it goes but overall I do love it. I absolutely hated the pill and how it made me feel and the Nuvaring is nothing like that."

GiGi6777 May 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I tried all a few different birth controls that were available to me. I did not have many options being as I am anemic and bled alot during my menstrual cycle. I ended up pregnant on a few methods. My doctor recommended nuvaring. It was fairly new. I had a few mood swings, which was different than my regular monthly moodiness. I am doing pretty good on it since 2002. I had a few kids since then. All I did was leave it out and two months later we were expecting. Regulated my cycles, hormones.. Really feel in control of my body. And comfortable with myself. Recently recommended it to my adult daughter. Hope it helps her she has had problems with other methods also."

Just a momma May 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Been on it four weeks. Like the option to skip a menstrual cycle. My experience so,far is good. I decided to skip my cycle last week just to see how it would feel. Didn't miss it one bit. Love that option. Didn't miss the maxi pads or the mess a cycle can leave in my underwear. I have an increased sex drive too. Think, I might even skip my cycle during the summer unless my GYN decides things need to come out after my ordeal three weeks ago."

Ohioteddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I stopped taking birth control pills because of the hassle of remembering to take them. My doctor recommended Nuvaring due to the convenience of using it and being a busy college student. However, two months after using it I had MAJOR abdominal cramps to the point where I couldn't walk. Turns out I had endometriosis and had to have surgery, it was not Nuvaring's fault. I was instructed to switch it out every 3 weeks instead of 4 to skip my periods; however, I have yet skipped a period and it has been 3 months since my surgery. I bleed for 2-3 weeks every time. I am switching birth controls to something more stronger since that is what my doctor recommended. Other than that, no other side effects at all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had severe cramping on my first day and Googled only to discover I wasn't alone. It felt like the worst period cramps ever & I'm no wimp...two healthy boys of my own. Some reviews said 9 months later!! One woman said it was a daily experience and had to take pain killers!! I didn't hestitate. Out it went and instant relief. I do not recommend this method at all."

Aeevjobb May 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've been on nuvaring for about 2 years now and I recommend it to all my friends. I didn't experience any mood swings or weight gain. But my boobs went up a cup size. It's super easy to put in and take out and I never forget to take it because it's already there! 3 weeks and then out one week for a period and then repeat. It sometimes falls out from sex but you have 3 hours to put it back in. My boyfriend doesn't feel it at all. You should definitely try it. Nothing but great results for me."

Tinafey34 April 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I was so excited for this birth control and now I can't wait to get it out of my system. Only 2 weeks in and already have a yeast infection, major anxiety, feeling depressed and a loss of sex drive.... I'm miserable and can literally cry at any moment. I will never try this again."

ScrewNuvaRing (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "First 2 weeks emotionally draining. Uncontrollable mood swings. Breast enlargement, up two cup sizes. Bloating. Weight gain. Nightmares. Cravings. Going on my third week, crazy mood swings have stopped, still up two cup sizes, bloating is going down, no weight gain. Nightmares rare. No cravings. I eat healthy and exercise daily. So the bloating is frustrating but I see it lessens as days pass. The mood swings were scary but it started the first week and it's over now. Thank God. I keep in mind it's a big hormonal change for my body and I'm hopeful the side effects completely stop when my body gets used to it. I'm giving it 2 mths."

Vreynolds (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been on Nuvaring for approximately 2 years now. I like that it regulates my menstrual cycle, it's comfortable once it's inserted. I occasionally have it slip it out but not a lot. It stays in tact during intercourse, my partner doesn't feel it and effective. There is also an app to use to help you keep up with when it is time to insert it and take it out. The app also helps me know when my period is coming."

Allykee April 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "This is only my 3rd week with the Nuvaring, but I like it very much! I seem to have all of the good side-effects and none of the bad ones. I find it does not make me emotional, which was my major problem with the pill. It has made my skin very clear and acne free and my breasts are bigger. I did notice that my vagina smelled a bit odd the first 3 days, but I think my body just had to get used to something new. I had bad experiences with the pill, the Mirena IUD and the copper IUD so I am very happy to now have something that works."

LadyLady5678 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I took the pill last year & stopped it because I was emotional all the time & felt like I had put on weight from it. I decided to try the nuvaring even tho I knew it had the same hormones. It was 10x worse than the pill. I was an emotional wreck, extremely tired all the time, & always hungry. Not to mention it was scary taking it out the first time. I tend to be nervous about doing something like that but it was just awful. I don't recommend this. & I'm never getting back on it."

Nicoles454 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've been on the NuvaRing for almost 4 years with very few issues. I've never had a pregnancy scare but have had a few issues with bleeding/spotting in between periods especially if I leave the ring in for 4 weeks and try to skip my period. Now I follow the 28 day cycle (leave it in for 3 weeks, take it out for 1 week then put a new one in) and have no issues. I have never had issues with mood swings, weight gain etc. If you pay attention and use the ring in the way that's best with your body (leaving it in and skipping your period or taking it out and having your period) you shouldn't have any issues."

MorgsJaee April 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "So I put the ring in on the first day of my period, 2 days later my period stopped and I am feeling nauseous, very tired, lost in appetite, and some discharge. I knew it was just my hormones changing so I knew it was going to pass. Within the three weeks I started to notice how much I was sleeping, mood changes, weight gain, and feeling completely horrible about myself. On the 21st day I took the ring out and a day later I have an unbearable itch/ burn. I went to the doctors and they believe it was from my hormones changing. The ring is very effective I've had intercourse plenty of times with no complications like pregnancy or UTI, etc. I will not be putting the ring back in bc the hormones and side effects are too much for me to handle."

Delide123 April 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "This was my first birth control method and I'm never going back on it ever again. Nuva Ring messed with my emotions to the max. It was always two very different extremes- I felt really really good or freaking awful. And when it was awful, I mean it was awful. I cried over the littlest things and everything and anything made me angry and I couldn't control it. It didn't even make me gain weight but it just made me feel so ugly about myself. My boobs grew which was nice but that doesn't even outweigh all the bad about it."

weronnie March 31, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I really wanted to give this medicine a chance but I can't do it anymore after just a few hours. Within two hours I felt so tired, I laid down for a nap. My right arm went numb, then I woke up with my whole body numb. Got up to walk to the bathroom and felt light-headed. Now it is six hours later and I feel angry and agitated, like I hate my family. I feel like leaving everything behind. I was perfectly fine this morning. I ended up flushing the thing down the toilet! This thing has only made me feel like rubbish, and I would just rather NOT have sex than use anything like this again!"

ForgetIt777 March 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I ran out of my prescription and hadn't been on the Nuva ring for months. I started back on it two weeks ago and I've been an emotional wreck ever since. My boyfriend even noticed how weird it was that I was happy all the time when I wasn't on birth control and since I started back on it I've been upset and crying every day. I feel so bad for him having to deal with me because the smallest thing will set me off and then I'm just irrationally angry. I hate feeling this way. Going to have to go back to the doctor to get a different bc."

Aasmall (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2017