User Reviews for NuvaRing

Birth Control
6.5

Summary of NuvaRing reviews 6.5 959 reviews

Reviews for NuvaRing

For Birth Control "The worst birth control so far. I do not feel in control of my emotions. I had depression t with really negative thoughts. I turned to everyone around me for validation about myself including my boss. I’ve suffered from severe paranoia, complex of inferiority, self doubt, self hate and I would cry at everything. I also gained 10 pounds and have not been feeling like my confidence self."

Berta (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on the Nuvaring from the age of 21-33. I can't say anything but amazing things about this birth control. I was on the pill prior to the ring, and had issues with the emotional up's and downs with the traditional pill. My doc put me on the ring and I took it out every 28 days. No side effects, shorter period (was 6-8 days before the ring, then 2-3 days, yay!) You can also take it out during sex, as long as you wash it with cold water and insert within an hour or two (check with your doc, but that's what was conveyed to me & I never had any issues ; i.e. unwanted pregnancies.) The only reason I'm no longer on it now is because my doc says due to my age, its time for an IUD. Loved the ring, and had absolutely ZERO side effects! Everyone's body is subjective, however, I hope some read this and consider what I felt was the easiest, most effective form of birth control I personally found as a woman! Best of Luck!"

Jmad2 January 18, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been using NuvaRing for 3 years now. I really enjoy how convenient it is- you only have to remember 2 days out of a month. My periods are literally non-existent, I do still get the friendly cramps to remind me I am not pregnant. And my mood swings are not nearly as bad as they were on other high hormone pills. That being said, this pill did slowly eat away at my happiness. My outlook on everything was just BLAH. No interests, don’t want to hang out with friends, don’t want to do date nights with my boyfriend, no motivation to workout. It turned me into a zombie without realizing. Eventually took away ALL of my libido. No interest in my partner AT ALL. Was disgusted even at him touching me. That is the reason I am off it currently. Looking back on it now, the little libido I ever did have while using NuvaRing was the week I took it out to have my period. It is a great form of birth control just be aware of how it affects you. I hope this helps someone!"

Frit January 17, 2019

For Birth Control "I had a hard time with the nuva ring. I am in a hot area, so I thought I kept getting yeast infections/bv. However, the doctor has to test their patients before giving a prescription. They ended up giving me a whole pap smear. I came up negative for everything including STD's. I had this unfamiliar sour flat smell that turned into a rotten smell if I didn't clean myself 5x a day. I didn't have an itch but my discharge was white and milky. My underwear smelled worse than the discharge itself, I couldn't take it. During the week I took it out, the smelly discharge would linger. I stopped using it. I smelled better and got my sex drive back. The bad thing is, I didn't realize but the nuvaring helped clear up my skin. So, I miss the assured convenience and acne free face, but am content smelling normal again. We need a close alternative to the nuvaring!"

Hihi223 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "In year 2010 was my first experience. I used the ring for three months - mind you I have always taken birth control without a problem. In these three months I got aggressively depressed. Never thought it was the birth control until one day I went down the process of elimination and the ring was the last and newest thing in my life. I took that thing out and within an hour it felt like the veils had lifted. Recently I tried again, hoping for a different outcome. Again for 3 months. Again depression. The only good thing I can say about it is that I did not get pregnant."

Bondi (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I love the Nuvaring! I've been on it for about 6 months now. It's the best birth control I've experienced. Others have made me gain weight and go crazy! Not this one. I did so much research at first before going on this. I thought how can this ring protect you from pregnancy. But it does well! It's super convenient. Take it out during sex then just rinse it off and put it back in. It may seem weird but it's great. Only thing is don't have sex with it in. I did that and it did hurt a bit."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I’m 18 years old and this is my first time being on any birth control. I went to PP in hopes of getting a non hormonal iud to find something to keep me protected without affecting my hormones as I get very irritable and have tons of mood swings on/before my period. I was discouraged from the iud and told I should try the Nuvaring. So far in this ONE week I'm facing extreme mood swings (I keep starting fights with my s.o. over nothing and small things make me cry and feel extremely depressed and hopeless), headaches, more discharge/ a yeast infection?, increase in appetite, and I haven't been feeling like leaving my room. The fact that its only been a week makes me wonder if this is just the hormones readjusting or the entire time of use will be like this. I'm not sure if I need to keep suffering through and doing a trial run for 3 months or just take it out now. Instead of helping my pre/during menstrual depression and irritability it has just made it far worse and far more often."

k3000 January 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on the Nuvaring for 10 years and at first I loved it. I couldn’t handle the pills, they made me sick. The last 3 to 5 years I have been getting extreme migraines that last for days. Too much discharge. And for almost the entire time my libido has been non existent. Almost as soon as I took out my ring My libido has come back and less discharge. I’m switching to an IUD to see if it will be better for me."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on and off this medication for about 10 months. Overall the pros are that I get less PMS and it made my periods more bearable and predictable. Also I am not pregnant. The cons are many...it makes me super hungry like stomach eating itself hungry and causes indigestion like mad and not just in the beginning of taking it. All the time. It has made me more moody and slightly depressed. I am just not as happy as I should be or that I was before taking this med. It makes me more sleepy than when off of it. My boobs grew more full with this BC and I am generally more bloated . This BC makes me hold on to weight more easily than before and I gained about 2 to 3lbs on it. Not much. Overall this is better than the YAZ I was on before it but just not worth the issues. I will prob go off it after my cycle."

loved10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control for a little over 4 years now. I've never had a problem with it for the first 2/3 years but the past year or so I've had extreme weight gain even though I eat healthy and exercise as well as major back problems when sleeping and severe anxiety. I'm afraid this medication has given me anxiety I will have to live with for a lifetime. The ENTIRE time however I have suffered from migraines that last anywhere from 1 to 4 days long. I am switching to a new birth control this week and hope this will fix some of these problems."

NplsFL (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I had copper IUD for 4 and a half months. I have had 14 day long periods, random rage that I've never had before and horrible cramps that stopped after month 3. Also exhaustion and low iron from losing so much blood, very depressed and no motivation at all. Now I've switched to Nuvaring and I am on day two. I've had migraines, congestion in lungs and sinus at random times but woke up on day two and felt great I could run again and no cramps. I did get nauseous a few times wanted to throw up and constipation but I'm hoping once I hit 3 months I'll get used to the hormones because paragard has none and Nuvaring does"

Spacey December 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been using the NuvaRing for about 5 months now and I'm really contemplating taking it out and stopping use. It has been effective at preventing pregnancy, but it is so annoying having to take it out every time you want to have sex. I have also had a severe increase in my acne and this started the week of putting the NuvaRing in. I had very clear skin before and this has been persistent for all 5 months so I attribute it to the NuvaRing. Overall, it has not been a great experience."

liv (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on the Nuvaring from January- October and while it did not cause me to be pregnant, it had a lot of negative side effects. It contributed to my anxiety, which I had already had due to other birth controls. My main issue with nuvaring was the huge amount of weight gain. It triples your appetite, and because of this I have gained 2 stone. I have been off birth control for about two months now and already my mind is so much clearer, but I am starving all the time due to cutting down my formerly massive appetite! It’s a handy medication but use it with caution"

Kizzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2018

For Birth Control "USER BEWARE. I am 22 y/o and have been using Nuvaring for about 2 years. Since then, I have put on about 30 pounds (due to intense increase in appetite), been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, have bouts of anger and irritability, and my sex drive is nearly non existent compared to pre-Nuvaring me. I chalked it up to the stresses of undergrad, and only NOW are my doctors and I linking this to Nuvaring. After reading some of the reviews on here, I am absolutely certain of it. Like a few others have mentioned as well, the week when my ring is out, I feel like myself again almost immediately (I am happier, more talkative, my sex drive is back, and I am able to control my appetite and eat healthier). Only reason I am giving this two stars is because it kept me from getting pregnant (although it did come out a few times DURING sex). I am now looking into getting an IUD in the next couple weeks, although the reviews on those do not have me feeling very optimistic either."

JC (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 23 years old and type 2 diabetic. I've used this birth control on and off for 5 years. Until recently, I've liked nuvaring because it gave me the ability to customize when I wanted my cycle. Unfortunately, having to take an anxiety med with it has changed my mind about this method. Pros: Customize your cycle, easy to remove, relaxed schedule, no pills. Cons: Can interact with anxiety meds, can cause blood sugar spikes, weight gain, irritability, and for me personally, the first day of insertion always triggers a panic attack. Use Nuvaring at your own risk, as the aforementioned issues can happen. That being said, for someone young and in good health, nuvaring may still be a good option."

Chappie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I used the nuvaring for four years. It took me that long to figure out what caused my problems such as : attacks of crying for no reason(2-4 hours on end), anxiety, depression, fatigue, rage, severe mood swings, difficulty in breathing, headaches, migraines. Eventually it became too much, I had to go on sick leave, due to severe cognitive impairment. I weren't able to follow simple instructions or engage in conversation. I suffered from memory loss, and I will probably never be the same again. 4 years have passed since I stopped using the nuvaring, and I still struggle. Shopping for groceries demands several hours of planning and my attention span is 25 minutes long. Whenever there's a social event I'm looking forward to a migraine soon after it ends."

M December 1, 2018

For Birth Control "Apart from it being very convenient, I have almost nothing good to say about the NuvaRing. I've been on the it for 2.5 years now. I cry every day about everything, and I am so fatigued I get up at 7:30 and will nap before lunch, then again before dinner. My eyes are so dry I had to get a prescription for eye drops to improve my vision. My gums bleed when I brush my teeth. A little over a year ago my partner and I started having issues as sex became very painful for me, and I have almost no more sex drive. About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and was put on medication for it. The people I love have noticed a huge difference in my personality. I took the NuvaRing out this morning, and will be getting an IUD soon. Here's to hoping things turn around for the better! TAKE THIS MEDICATION WITH EXTREME CAUTION, my symptoms took about a year before they started getting bad, and we think it will be months before I start to feel myself again."

Katherine November 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I used for a few months, I didn't get pregnant, but my vagina got itchy every day and I could not longer sleep well. Also, vaginal discharge was a lot more than normal. I decided to take it out and boom!! An hour after itchiness was gone."

Andrea (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2018

For Birth Control "Horrible depression, no motivation, horrible horrible anger. The second I started on nuva ring (for endometriosis) I had terrible diarrhea EVERY single day. I stopped for 2 months and had no stomach issues and I felt like myself again. I went back on nuvaring to give it another try and had instant diarrhea that I couldn’t eat anything throughout the day until I was done with my day to prepare to be in the bathroom ALL night long. Don't like this birthcontrol."

This is stupid November 11, 2018

For Birth Control "This option had pros and cons for me. I have been on it for over a year. It’s a very easy and effortless option. It’s nice to skip your period. I did have about 4-5 yeast infections in the past year, which never occurred until I started nuvaring. I have put on about 10lbs. Very bloated and so hungry all of the time!!! I also have a decrease in sex drive and mood fluctuations. I have become depressed over the past year and wonder if it is due to this medication. I am going to try the pill again at the end of this month. My doctor did not want to risk any more weight gain."

Kate (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2018

For Birth Control "My girl got pregnant... thanks Nuvaring"

Yoyo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2018

For Birth Control "The nuvaring worked for me in that it prevented pregnancy for a whole year of constant unprotected sex. However, I have gained 20 pounds on it - I’m not sure if it’s all because of the ring but I believe it did cause me to retain weight that I would normally have been able to work off. I also feel that it made me incredibly irrational and emotional, totally put a hole in my relationship for awhile. I’m excited to try being off hormonal birth control to see what changes."

Lisa (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I love the nuvaring I've been on it now for about a year and haven't had any horrible side effects. It was a amazing change compared to the pills I was on, tri lo marzia (generic and non-generic) . That pill gave me horrible anxiety, depression, excess mucus and vomiting. I don't feel the ring during sex or in general, it has never fallen out or caused pain and my partner isn't bothered by it. I couldn't recommend this enough, if you haven't had great luck with pills try the ring."

sam (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been using the NuvaRing for a year now. I have had a great experience with this method. I wanted something with little hormones and something I didn’t have to take everyday. I didn’t have any side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm 21 years old and I've been on this birth control for 2 weeks. Don't take this drug if you are prone to irritability. I was on it for 1 week AND I WAS SO MOODY AHHHHHHHHHH and all at my partner (tried to break up twice.) Another reason, IT FALLS OUT I'M NOT KIDDING. I have a really tight snatch and it seriously still falls out. You're paranoid to death it's gonna fall out in the toilet and sometimes it gets stuck at the entrance and it pushes up against your bone and hurts like heck. You have to constantly push it back up too. The only thing good about this method is that it's easy to remember because it stays."

Audy (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...