User Reviews for NuvaRing

Birth Control
6.5

Summary of NuvaRing reviews 6.4 973 reviews

Reviews for NuvaRing

For Birth Control "I had Nuvaring inserted for maybe 48 hours when I started noticing some extra side effects my doctor did NOT tell me about. I was only told my sex drive would be lower and I might gain weight which I was ok with. But I wake up one morning feeling extremely nauseous which isn’t new but it usually goes away after a half hour of being up. Not this time. I couldn’t leave my bed because my stomach cramps were so awful, I couldn’t hold anything down, not water, crackers, broth. I had two awful anxiety attacks, thank goodness my roommate was home because if you know anything about anxiety attacks, you know how scary they can be. I finally realized after 11pm that day “OH maybe it’s the nuva ring!” I took that thing out so fast and less than two hours later the cramping, vomiting, and extreme anxiety attacks stopped. Obviously birth control effects women in different ways but after that awful experience I would never look back to the ring again."

kiki (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been using Nuva ring for about 13 years now. I took a break 10 years ago when I decided to have a baby. I previously used other BC but the Nuvaring has work the best on my body than other BC. I have only experienced a small percent of low sex drive but nothing major. I am extremely content with this birth control for the reason of my monthly menstrual cramps reducing."

Roxy (taken for 10 years or more) March 11, 2019

For Birth Control "First let me just say, Nuvaring was horrible experience for me. I've only been with this BC for two weeks, first day spotting which is normal from what the doctor said, 4 days in blood clots, tiny blood clots , acne depression and anger issues. I literally bled for two weeks straight took it out today because I had the worse backache ever I couldn't even breathe I was waking up everyday at 4:30 am not sleepy at all made me so hungry I was working out every day all of a sudden I started using this and I went from working out hardly ever, fighting with my boyfriend had vivid dreams just horrible dreams. One day I had a sharp cramp in my stomach that it literally went to my heart and I felt that , this was horrible and I have decided to not use birth control just condoms. But this was horrible.."

Meli (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I loved NuvaRing... until it caused a cerebral blood clot and stroke (CVST). A headache for days, memory problems, speech like word soup, ten days in the hospital, one in ICU, no emotion. I didn't know who my husband was. Doctors put me on blood thinners and rehab therapy. Six weeks later I went back to work. Three months and multiple blood tests later, my doctors ruled out any hereditary causes for my stroke and attributed it to hormones in NuvaRing. I can never use birth control with estrogen again, and any pregnancies will be high risk. I have recovered, but nothing will take away the emotional trauma that I and my family experienced. My husband still breaks down in tears over how close I was to being permanently disabled or dying. Please. If you are using or considering using NuvaRing, talk to your doctor about the risks. Not everyone using NuvaRing will experience what I did, but be informed. I DO NOT recommend NuvaRing."

Toast128 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2019

For Birth Control "As a 37-year-old woman getting back on BC for the first time in 10 years, I was suggested NuvaRing. I explained to my doctor that I am EASILY affected by hormones and I had already tried every type of BC out there. Still, I was told NuvaRing was the answer. Wrong! I've never had acne in my life - not through puberty, not through any of my pregnancies, etc. After 4 months of NuvaRing, I have acne like a 15 yr old just starting puberty, I've gained about 15-20 lbs in 4 months, & my appetite is off the charts. Ever since starting NuvaRing, I'm hungry all day, every day. Sometimes at 3am I'll be awake (insomnia is another side-effect for me) and I'll just want to eat - completely uncharacteristic for me. Irritability and motivation decrease are also present. I just took it out for the last time yesterday and I'm praying this gets out of my system very quickly. I feel fat and gross and unmotivated. I need my old self back with a quickness!"

Victoria February 25, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been using nuvaring for approx 8ish months. I had used it for a month previously a couple of years ago but after a depression scare on the pill any mood swing scared me off. This past 8 months have been great, some weight gain and a little more grumpy but overall worth it. Periods have shortened slightly and cramping lessened a bit. Only issues is increase in discharge and inflammation which can hurt during intercourse. For these two reasons I'm going to try out the implanon, but if that doesn't work out I'm definitely going back onto the nuvaring unless I choose something else."

Jay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2019

For Birth Control "I started nuvaring 8 months ago after being on 3 different IUD's the past 17 years. At first I loved it. It did make my vagina swell the first week, but it wasn’t irritating or a problem. Periods are kind of all over the place, & cramping is worst than ever before. Had me laying with a heating pad 3 out of the 5 days. After 8 months I have gained 16 pounds and my anxiety and depression is through the roof. I had 3 panic attacks in the past 2 weeks & it is definitely from this birth control. On a positive note my cystic acne completely went away and my skin is for the most part really clear. Also-I have not gotten pregnant. I would recommend this product but to pay close attention to your mental health. If you feel anxiety & depression coming on you need to stop using it & contact your doctor. I’ve also had brief suicidal thoughts. I stopped taking this & am trying the mini pill. Wish me luck. I am writing my review because I feel birth control side effects are extremely under reported."

Sam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2019

For Birth Control "I used the NuvaRing for a couple years and it was going very well. Recently, I started using it back to back instead of taking breaks for my period. I became very moody. I was also in between a lot of depression medications but as soon as I took out the NuvaRing, everything seemed to change. I wasn't angry all the time or frustrated at the smallest things. I don't know if it was a reaction to my depression medication (Pristiq) but I feel a lot better now that I'm not using nuvaring. When I was using it alone it was great, that's why I gave it an 8."

Lexi (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I was using nuvaring for about 3 months and at first it was fine but then I lost any and all sex drive. It was to the point where I was getting mad at my boyfriend because I wanted nothing to do with him in that way. My moods were all over the place and I gained a few pounds but nothing extreme. It is convenient to leave it in for three weeks but its a hassle taking it out before sex and remembering to put it back in within the time frame. Just wasn't a match for me. Your doctor won't tell you about sex drive loss, because it is not that common, but definitely know its possible! Hope it works for you"

BOS (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2019

For Birth Control "Works perfectly for me, I’m amazing at how negative some of the other reviews are. Background info I am 23, I was on it before when I was 19, (I went off due to lack of sexual activity). Last year I went on a pill contraceptive which made me hungry/moody, began binge eating and crying all the time. So after 6 months I went off that pill but I only had 2 periods in 6 months that followed. I knew I had to do something to get regular. And I also knew part of the reason the pill was causing me such mood swings was because I was terrible at remembering to take it on time. I knew that the Nuvaring provided a very simple solution to that. Take it, pop it in, leave it for 3 weeks and pop it out. Amazing. My period came back, my boobs grew, ( I have never really had boobs so I consider it a plus). I’m not experiencing any abnormal mood swings from sudden spikes and drops in hormonal intake. My period was relatively light and painless. Personally It’s perfect."

Sammikitti February 6, 2019

For Birth Control "NuvaRing would have been perfect for me but it makes my vagina BURN so bad during and especially after sex. I love how convenient it is, I have had no mood swings or depression and it works like a charm besides the pain during sex. I have been on it for four months and was hoping the pain was just an initial side effect that would soon go away but unfortunately it is not. I will be going back to the pill in two days."

nellbelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2019

For Birth Control "I've used the nuvaring for 8 years after my 2nd IUD expelled itself. I never had nausea and adverse effects like what I had when I was on the pills. It's way easier to remember to change and some months I wear it for 4 weeks and skip my period and insert a new one. Doc said it's OK to do this but not for more than 4 months in a row. I have easy light periods and the ring makes them even lighter. I just love it and it's convenience. But as I approach my mid 30s it does scare me with the risk of blood clots especially being a smoker. Within the next few years my husband will have a vasectomy but until then I'll stick with nuvaring. It does cause more discharge throughout the day because its a foreign object in your vagina and your body supposedly creates more discharge to try to get it out. It's a bit annoying, but nothing crazy."

cglover0116 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 30, 2019

For Birth Control "After 5 months on nuvaring, I went to the doctor because I had stomach pain but the doctor found I had stones on my gallbladder and I need a surgery to remove it. Then I stopped using Nuvaring for a while and I had bad acne, so my gynaecologist suggest me to take the pill because I had polycystic ovaries. Now I've been on the pill for a year, I eat healthy and I am active, there been some days that I keep restricting my diet, doing more exercise but my weight doesn't drop more that 1 or 2 kilos which is nothing compare to the effort I make to lose weight. It was so easy to lose weight without birth control. I kept track on my weight this whole time and I recently compare my fat percentage and I was surprise to find out that my weight fluctures 2 more or less kilos but while on nuvaring my fat percentage was lower that with the pill. So I'm thinking about going on nuvaring again."

Devla123 January 27, 2019

For Birth Control "Got the nuva ring about 10 days ago, prior to it I had been on depo for over 17 years till 2015 when I went off it. I had the ring in for 7 days, I was extremely fatigued, fell into a dark hole of depression, gained about 8 pounds of water weight, so much water in my hands that I could barely bend my fingers. I became unmotivated and started to cry over everything. I had gas and bloating and my boobs swelled up. I took it out 2 days ago and tried to go to work today but only lasted 3 hours and had to go home sick. What a horrible experience, I need my life back!"

Angela (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2019

For Birth Control "The worst birth control so far. I do not feel in control of my emotions. I had depression t with really negative thoughts. I turned to everyone around me for validation about myself including my boss. I’ve suffered from severe paranoia, complex of inferiority, self doubt, self hate and I would cry at everything. I also gained 10 pounds and have not been feeling like my confidence self."

Berta (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on the Nuvaring from the age of 21-33. I can't say anything but amazing things about this birth control. I was on the pill prior to the ring, and had issues with the emotional up's and downs with the traditional pill. My doc put me on the ring and I took it out every 28 days. No side effects, shorter period (was 6-8 days before the ring, then 2-3 days, yay!) You can also take it out during sex, as long as you wash it with cold water and insert within an hour or two (check with your doc, but that's what was conveyed to me & I never had any issues ; i.e. unwanted pregnancies.) The only reason I'm no longer on it now is because my doc says due to my age, its time for an IUD. Loved the ring, and had absolutely ZERO side effects! Everyone's body is subjective, however, I hope some read this and consider what I felt was the easiest, most effective form of birth control I personally found as a woman! Best of Luck!"

Jmad2 January 18, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been using NuvaRing for 3 years now. I really enjoy how convenient it is- you only have to remember 2 days out of a month. My periods are literally non-existent, I do still get the friendly cramps to remind me I am not pregnant. And my mood swings are not nearly as bad as they were on other high hormone pills. That being said, this pill did slowly eat away at my happiness. My outlook on everything was just BLAH. No interests, don’t want to hang out with friends, don’t want to do date nights with my boyfriend, no motivation to workout. It turned me into a zombie without realizing. Eventually took away ALL of my libido. No interest in my partner AT ALL. Was disgusted even at him touching me. That is the reason I am off it currently. Looking back on it now, the little libido I ever did have while using NuvaRing was the week I took it out to have my period. It is a great form of birth control just be aware of how it affects you. I hope this helps someone!"

Frit January 17, 2019

For Birth Control "I had a hard time with the nuva ring. I am in a hot area, so I thought I kept getting yeast infections/bv. However, the doctor has to test their patients before giving a prescription. They ended up giving me a whole pap smear. I came up negative for everything including STD's. I had this unfamiliar sour flat smell that turned into a rotten smell if I didn't clean myself 5x a day. I didn't have an itch but my discharge was white and milky. My underwear smelled worse than the discharge itself, I couldn't take it. During the week I took it out, the smelly discharge would linger. I stopped using it. I smelled better and got my sex drive back. The bad thing is, I didn't realize but the nuvaring helped clear up my skin. So, I miss the assured convenience and acne free face, but am content smelling normal again. We need a close alternative to the nuvaring!"

Hihi223 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "In year 2010 was my first experience. I used the ring for three months - mind you I have always taken birth control without a problem. In these three months I got aggressively depressed. Never thought it was the birth control until one day I went down the process of elimination and the ring was the last and newest thing in my life. I took that thing out and within an hour it felt like the veils had lifted. Recently I tried again, hoping for a different outcome. Again for 3 months. Again depression. The only good thing I can say about it is that I did not get pregnant."

Bondi (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I love the Nuvaring! I've been on it for about 6 months now. It's the best birth control I've experienced. Others have made me gain weight and go crazy! Not this one. I did so much research at first before going on this. I thought how can this ring protect you from pregnancy. But it does well! It's super convenient. Take it out during sex then just rinse it off and put it back in. It may seem weird but it's great. Only thing is don't have sex with it in. I did that and it did hurt a bit."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I’m 18 years old and this is my first time being on any birth control. I went to PP in hopes of getting a non hormonal iud to find something to keep me protected without affecting my hormones as I get very irritable and have tons of mood swings on/before my period. I was discouraged from the iud and told I should try the Nuvaring. So far in this ONE week I'm facing extreme mood swings (I keep starting fights with my s.o. over nothing and small things make me cry and feel extremely depressed and hopeless), headaches, more discharge/ a yeast infection?, increase in appetite, and I haven't been feeling like leaving my room. The fact that its only been a week makes me wonder if this is just the hormones readjusting or the entire time of use will be like this. I'm not sure if I need to keep suffering through and doing a trial run for 3 months or just take it out now. Instead of helping my pre/during menstrual depression and irritability it has just made it far worse and far more often."

k3000 January 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on the Nuvaring for 10 years and at first I loved it. I couldn’t handle the pills, they made me sick. The last 3 to 5 years I have been getting extreme migraines that last for days. Too much discharge. And for almost the entire time my libido has been non existent. Almost as soon as I took out my ring My libido has come back and less discharge. I’m switching to an IUD to see if it will be better for me."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on and off this medication for about 10 months. Overall the pros are that I get less PMS and it made my periods more bearable and predictable. Also I am not pregnant. The cons are many...it makes me super hungry like stomach eating itself hungry and causes indigestion like mad and not just in the beginning of taking it. All the time. It has made me more moody and slightly depressed. I am just not as happy as I should be or that I was before taking this med. It makes me more sleepy than when off of it. My boobs grew more full with this BC and I am generally more bloated . This BC makes me hold on to weight more easily than before and I gained about 2 to 3lbs on it. Not much. Overall this is better than the YAZ I was on before it but just not worth the issues. I will prob go off it after my cycle."

loved10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control for a little over 4 years now. I've never had a problem with it for the first 2/3 years but the past year or so I've had extreme weight gain even though I eat healthy and exercise as well as major back problems when sleeping and severe anxiety. I'm afraid this medication has given me anxiety I will have to live with for a lifetime. The ENTIRE time however I have suffered from migraines that last anywhere from 1 to 4 days long. I am switching to a new birth control this week and hope this will fix some of these problems."

NplsFL (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I had copper IUD for 4 and a half months. I have had 14 day long periods, random rage that I've never had before and horrible cramps that stopped after month 3. Also exhaustion and low iron from losing so much blood, very depressed and no motivation at all. Now I've switched to Nuvaring and I am on day two. I've had migraines, congestion in lungs and sinus at random times but woke up on day two and felt great I could run again and no cramps. I did get nauseous a few times wanted to throw up and constipation but I'm hoping once I hit 3 months I'll get used to the hormones because paragard has none and Nuvaring does"

Spacey December 16, 2018