User Reviews for NuvaRing

1,051 reviews 322 medications
Summary of NuvaRing reviews 6.3 1,051 reviews

Reviews for NuvaRing

Just say no to the ring September 19, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on the Nuvaring for three weeks today. I have a history of seizures, depression and anxiety. I haven’t had a seizure in almost 12 years. My depression and anxiety were under control when I started. The last three weeks have been some of the lowest in my life. I ended up having a seizure a week ago and my anxiety and depression are back in full force. I literally cry over everything and anything, have had the worst mood swings and emotional outbursts and just feel overall awful about myself. I have experienced such heavy bleeding for the last three days with HORRIBLE blood clots (worse than I normally have each month). I have also had a feeling that I can only describe as “brain fog” since starting the ring. Today was my scheduled day to take the ring out and I did and I am NOT putting a new one in. I honestly feel so much better mentally and this thing has only been out for an hour. My experience has been awful."

Jazzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2019

For Birth Control "I tried NuvaRing for 4 months. I really tried to make it work, like SERIOUSLY. 1st month, I had no spotting, no acne, no mood swings, just some bloating and weird feelings. BUT LET ME TELL YOU...month 2 started an incredible itch that would wake me from my sleep to pray to God to take it away. The discharge was excessive. The itch spread to my anus and between my cheeks, TMI but it caused scarring that has not gone away a few weeks later that I am highly disappointed about. My partner DID feel the ring, but we were able to take it out during intercourse and then put it back in. My vagina was swollen and crampy afterwards, probably due to the irritation and itching. My partner experienced rashes after every intercourse session. I know, crazy. I really wanted to make it work but my female anatomy was not having it to the point where my sex drive was reduced as well as my partners because he did not want his rash to return!"

Sad Panda · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2019

For Birth Control "I had used the ring years and years ago and don't recall it impacting me the way it did this time. I have it in for almost a week and yesterday I was so full of self hate. It was awful! I have never felt so depressed and I know myself - this is not me! I couldn't stop crying. I just wanted to be in bed. I was beating myself up so bad. Leading up to yesterday, I definitely noticed a sharp decline in my mood within a day of putting in the ring. It came out today. No thank you!"

Bpj4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2019

For Birth Control "Since my teenage years I used regular birth control pills but I found the 3 that I tried made me really depressed. I would stay accurate and take them always on time, for a while but then I'd start to slack so I went off of them completely as I couldn't decide what other birth control to use. This year I decided to try the NuvaRing and it has been the best choice, I wish I chose it sooner. I've been on it for 3 months and I have had no bad mood changes or depression episodes, no migraines or nausea, I put it in had a better 3 periods since being on this and to be honest if anything I think it has made my mood better and regulates your hormones better with its slow release of hormones. I would highly recommend trying this if your looking for a good birth control, it has been so easy to use like you almost forget you even have it in!!"

mtm8 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I used to take BC pills years back & stopped because I kept forgetting to take it. Recently decided to try Nuvaring. The 1st month was bad. Had mood swings, migraines, & tension. During 2nd month all that stopped, but I felt like I was getting a UTI. Then that feeling went away. I’m now on month 4 of Nuvaring and LOVE it. I can insert and forget it instead of having to worry about taking a pill everyday. Normally my period is around 9 days long & heavy, but now is 4-5 days and light. Bloat decreased, haven’t gained significant weight. I’ve gained some but it’s in the right places! My breasts are a little fuller and my butt has more perk to it. I haven’t had issues with it coming out whether it’s during sex, passing a BM, etc. The only issue I have is increased vaginal discharge. I hate that it gets on my panties! I just wear panty liners now. Other than that I love it and won’t be switching to any other birth control anytime soon!"

PinkyPie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2019

For Birth Control "Finishing up my 3rd ring. I’ve had really heavy periods since I was 14 ( 22 now) and it really has helped with my period and cramps. But holy itchy moly. 2 yeast infections in 3 months, tons of discharge and irritation. Going to my OBGYN to get something else. I can barely sleep."

JAL September 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I’m 45 & started using NuvaRing based on a rec from my OB after being diagnosed with ovarian cysts. At 1st, I loved my clear skin & not having a period. I used it for about 1 1/2 mths. when I noticed swelling and tenderness in my leg one morning when drying off from the shower. I couldn’t remember injuring it, & brushed it off as a bruise. A few days later, I still had swelling & pain & decided to see my doctor. I had an XRay & no bones were broken. I asked the doctor if it could be a clot. He said it wasn’t likely because it was so far down my leg, but based on my family history of pulmonary embolism, he recommended an ultrasound. The next day, I had an ultrasound and was diagnosed with a blood clot in my foot. I feel this was directly related to the Nuva Ring. I was told to immediately take it out. After, I started my period again and had HORRIBLE CRAMPS and bleeding. I am currently on blood thinners and looking to have an ablation in the near future."

5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2019

For Birth Control "The NuvaRing gave me NuvaRage! Can’t even begin to write how terrible of an experience it was to have the ring in. It made me anxious and so depressed. I cried every day for no reason and felt the lowest I have in my entire life. The doctor told me I was crazy because there is no way that low of dosage could have done that but the minute I took the ring out I was back to my normal self."

ThisSucks September 7, 2019

For Birth Control "Hi. I'm a 19 year old college girl. I decided to go on the NuvaRing after I tried Lo Loestrin Fe and Lutera-- both of which gave me terrible side effects. On oral contraceptives I was so unbelievably depressed and cried in class, which is so unlike me. When I started NuvaRing, I didn't have any obvious side effects at first so I was absolutely thrilled. Well, I definitely spoke too soon. It's been about four months and while I don't feel mentally terrible, I have had the weirdest physical side effects. I had chest pain to the point where my doctor ordered a CT scan (don't worry, he didn't find anything), but I've recently also had TERRIBLE migraines and concentrated headaches, as well as ear pain and jaw pain. I don't know if it's related, but I also feel so fatigued all the time. I got a bunch of tests done and they don't know what's causing it. It's not mono or strep or anything, so I think I'm going to switch to Mirena and see what changes."

Strawberries September 6, 2019

For Birth Control "Okay I have some pros and cons about this NuvaRing (NR) birth control! The pros are it helps my skin look great, I haven’t had a pimple breakout since I started using the NR , you don’t feel it at all during regular activities (sports , swimming ) those type of things , super easy to insert and lastly you choose if you want your period or not. THE CONS ! You do feel the ring when having intercourse (especially if your man is large), I have low sex drive , your vagina may feel super swollen after one round (we usually go 3 or more depending on the day) now I can barely hang. MOOD SWINGS! I’m not emotional at all but one min I’ll be happy then I can cry over a movie I seen 10000 times and never cried before. Then I can go from 0 to 1000 real quick , it’s so annoying it feels like I have no control over my body! If you suffer from depression this will definitely bring it back and may leave you in a dark space for a while. Currently looking for a different type of birth control"

Laulau404 September 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I started this at the end of my postpartum bleeding after having a baby. I was told it wouldn’t make me gain weight, it would help keep me acne free and as someone with a history of depression and anxiety I assumed (since I was asked) that it wouldn’t interfere with my mental health. However, I haven’t even been on this birth control for three weeks yet and I already started my period. What’s normally four days of light bleeding has been a week of heavy bleeding. I’m bloated, I’ve gained weight, my face has broken out horribly and I fly into a rage over the littlest things. To be clear, I do not have postpartum depression. I am able to be happy and enjoy being a new mother again (I have two other children). Not to mention, it’s hard to even be confident that you have it in correctly. I’m assuming it is as the instructions are simply, shove it up there as far as you can. It falls out during sex, it’s extremely painful with a tampon. I wouldn’t recommend it."

Angel · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2019

For Birth Control "I literally just started NuvaRing 24hr ago and I'm already having morning sickness, slight headache, vomiting violently. I told my husband but guys don't understand. I have to take it out. I'm not going to put my body thru months of discomfort. It is not worth it, we have been doing well with the natural bc method. Ladies listen to your bodies"

Elliemay September 3, 2019

For Birth Control "I LOVE the NuvaRing birth control! I tried the pill and the depo shot. This was my second to last option. A bit of background: I’ve always had incredibly painful, long, and heavy period due to endometriosis. It was awful. Since being on NuvaRing, my periods are kind of heavy the first 2 days, nowhere near like before, but then it lightens up and only lasts at most 5 days instead of 8-10 like before. I can actually function with the cramps I get instead of being bedridden for 4 days. The first week on the ring I was moody and hormonal. That went away after maybe 4 days at most. That also happened when I missed a ring. The only other con I can think of is that it slips down but the pro with that is that I can actually feel it out of place so I just quickly push it back up and I’m good to go. There is more discharge than normal, but that’s normal with the ring. All in all, the pros absolutely outweigh the cons for me. I’m so happy I found this birth control."

Erica September 1, 2019

For Birth Control "I am 33 and have been on Nuvaring for 3-4 years. There are some positives and negatives which I will list: Positives: -Clear Skin : I have always struggled with acne and my skin became very clear - Light periods and no cramping -Convenience and you don't have to remember to take a pill every day -Easy to use -Effective In prevention of pregnancy Negatives: - Highly increased appetite: I have gained 30 lbs in 3 years (start weight was 140, now 170) -No sex drive: sex became miserable to endure because I had no interest in it -Increase In mood swings, aggravation, depression, anxiety and laziness -Headaches: occur very frequently and sometimes lasted for 2-4 days -Sharp random pains in cervix -Increase In discharge I have been off the Nuvaring now for a little over a month and I feel like my personality is back to Normal. I feel like myself again. I have lost weight (6 lbs in one month and I notice I’m not as hungry and don’t have severe cravings anymore)"

Panda · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 30, 2019

For Birth Control "6 months ago, I went to the ER on a Saturday because I thought I was having a heart attack. I had severe cramping and chest pains. $13k (“after insurance, our portion was only $2,500!”) they couldn’t find anything wrong thankfully. Right now, we are between insurances and I had the same feelings 2 nights ago. Because of the cost, I didn’t go to the hospital and just prayed. Took out the Nuva Ring and INSTANTLY, immediately, the symptoms went away! I mean before I even made it to the trash can to throw it away. I am shocked! I cannot believe this seems to have been the issue. I will obviously not be going back on it. I’m 37, 2 kids, don’t smoke or drink."

Eva · Taken for 10 years or more August 28, 2019

For Birth Control "Very good experience. I have been using it for 10 years. Had one planned baby in between and continue using it. Unlike other contraceptives, it did not influence any weight changes, no side effects at all. Maybe just more candida outbreaks, but I had it before Nuvaring anyway... Perfect and easy to use contraception."

J.D August 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I wanted to try the ring because I was tired of taking a pill i wanted something convenient. Week 1 on the ring was fine put it in and let it do it’s thing week 2 &3 I continually spotted, now I expect this when changing birth control so I was patient. I wanted to skip my period so week 4 I left it in. Ring 2 I spotted for 3 weeks straight I was still patient but frustrated! At that point i decided to give ring 3 a chance & decided I would change the ring out every 3 weeks not 4 hoping that would help with spotting. So 3 months in which is when I think side effects should start wearing down but it got worse-week 3 of that ring I was beginning to bleed like a normal period. After that I yanked the ring out & am back on the trusty pill. After 2 MORE weeks of spotting while my body got used to the pill again. What a bummer as a wife to be spotting for 3 months- AND with headaches. Be cautious with the ring it was a nightmare for me, I give it a 2 simply because it was convenient"

Mimi · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

For Birth Control "I'm in love with the nuva ring, my only complaints is that I have bloating but otherwise it's great"

Valleygirl August 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had the Nuvaring in for about a month and I love it! Here are the pros: My fiancé says he can’t feel it during sex I don’t feel it at all Sex drive has gone up No bleeding No mood changes Cons: -In the beginning, it kept slipping down. I don’t think I put it deep enough. Once I pushed it a little further, it stayed put! -More discharge If you want to try it, just try it! Everyone’s body is different. You can’t solely rely your judgement on someone else’s experience! Good luck!"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on the Nuvaring for about two months. I took it in hopes to clear up some acne I had, first mistake. Well, after about a week I was already feeling depressed, emotional, and easily angered. I had also gained weight, had sore breasts, and might I add experience no change in my skin (it was possibly worse). Not saying this won’t be for you, but it definitely wasn’t for me!"

Cdnyc August 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I've been on the Nuvaring for almost exactly 4 years and I love it. I was previously on the pill, which I had gotten for free from my University clinic, but I wasn't remembering to take it daily let alone at the same time every day. When I started the pill, I remember feeling incredibly nauseous for about a week. I didn't have the same issue with the ring and felt little to no side effects. I've gained about 15 lbs over the past several years, however I'm not sure if that's a result of lifestyle (work, stress, snacking) or it is the birth control. My periods now are always super light and last about 4 days in total, which is amazing. I did try to use them continuously for 2 months to skip a period, and when I took my ring out after those 2 months I felt incredibly emotional, irrititable, had heachaches and massive appetite. Using them back to back did not work for me, but as long as I take it out monthly I have zero problems!"

Erica August 13, 2019

For Birth Control "Hello, I have read all these comments and I’m very sorry it didn’t work out for all of you. I would say I love being on the NuvaRing. There are positives and negatives for sure. As a positive it helps me with any acne, I really don’t have any, and it also keeps me more stable emotionally. I feel independent like I do not need a guy at all. However, it has COMPLETELY killed my sex drive. I have no desire for a boyfriend, for sex, and when I do the orgasms aren’t as good anymore. I also get pretty sick when I drink even a glass of wine these days when I used to be able to drink often. Despite all that, I do feel like I am a more stable person on the ring. I do get cramps sometimes and I’m always making sure I drink cranberry juice so I don’t get any UTIs. Overall I enjoy being on the NuvaRing not being emotional over guys, living my life."

spicygirl · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I just recently switched from the pill (Sronyx) to the NuvaRing. Not going to lie, I got on this website the day I got prescribed the NuvaRing and I scared myself half to death...all of the reviews were so scary and I was terrified. Needless to say, I still tried it. I've been on the NuvaRing for about a month already and I absolutely love it. I've pretty much forgotten about it, my boyfriend can't feel it during sex, and neither can I. People complain about a low sex drive on the ring but if anything, mine has gone up. Everything is more enjoyable now than ever because I don't have to remember to take a pill. When I got on the pill I gained 15 lbs and was literally psychotic and depressed but with the NuvaRing I feel normal again!! Do NOT let these reviews scare you, People are more likely to leave a review if they have a bad experience and if all is good they forget about it, move on and never return to the website to leave a positive review.!! Dont be scared, try it out!!"

charrm August 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on this bc for almost 2 years and when I stopped I got my last cycle but it never returned after that I went to the Doctors they stated my hormone levels were good but it still my period never returned. It is almost been 3 years and nothing I wouldn't advise anyone to take this because it messes up your body"

Stacey August 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I’be been on Nuvaring for two months now for my Adenomyosis and the awful PMS I get a week before my period (tired, cramps, leg pain, mood swings). It was awful. Well, being on this thing isn’t better, it’s worse. I can’t stop bleeding and I’m too afraid to take it out because I don’t want to bleed more. I’ve never had cramps this bad. I feel like I can’t walk. I spent all day Tuesday in bed crying. I’m a teacher and I don’t know how I’m going to get up in front of the kids and talk to them when I feel like such a mess. The pain is unbearable. My doctor could care less and was like “it’s normal, give it more time”. I hate the ring, I hate that I’m having so much pain and bleeding with no signs of it ending. I look like I’ve gained 20lbs from bloating. I think I’d rather live in my personal hell prior to the ring than this."