User Reviews for NuvaRing

Birth Control
6.6

Summary of NuvaRing reviews 6.6 908 reviews

Reviews for NuvaRing

For Birth Control "I been on Nuvaring for a week now and I feel totally fine no symptoms of any kind just left appetite. After reading all these horror stories I’m a little worried, I guess it depends of our bodies we’re all different."

Rein (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Birth Control "This ring was hell for me. Week 1: Excited to try a convenient form of birth control. For the first two weeks I experienced mood swings but thought this will stabilize. I also had a surge of acne which I normally do not have. Week 3-4: Acne went away but mood swings continued. Week 5: same. Week 6, 7, and 8: horrible. I started bleeding heavily every day heavier than a period for three straight weeks. This was accompanied by cramping and an upset digestive system. Week 4: I passed a blot clot vaginally which hasn’t happened since I had my daughter 3 years ago. By the end of the second month I was physically exhausted from the blood loss and pain and an emotional mess from being unstable for 2 months straight. I took it out...and it’s like the sky became blue again slowly I returned to my normal self. No birth control method is worth this type of hell. Done and done. Back to the pill."

Sunny June 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on nuvaring for 3 months and it's been the worst decision I have ever made. I'm removing it today. Since I started nuvaring I get strong headaches, nausea, dizziness, depressed, angry, dizzy."

Anonymous June 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I went off Nuvaring last year after struggling with crazy side-effects for over 6 months, and I still think of the time on it in total horror. I was seduced by the ease of use and the convenience. The idea was great. What it did to my mental health was a horror. I wasn't myself; I had horrible mood swings. Even thoughts of sex revolted me. The loving touch of my partner made me want to throw up. I have never experienced similar states of my libido. Sex did not just seem disgusting it was painful. Dry like a desert. I feel like I lost a year of an awesome sex life to nuvaring. The week I went off it was a huge relief and a return to the senses, an end to the mental self-blaming hell, return of healthy emotions and desire. So, if you're wondering if NuvaRing is messing with your desire and mood - it is. Trust yourself and your body. Don't prolong this suffering, switch to something else."

AT (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Nuvaring as a birth control for years and it cleared my acne. Made me feel more stable emotionally. I loved not having to take a pill everyday. The only problem I had with it is that my sex drive is super low when I'm on it. After having a baby I switched to another birth control but I'll probably switch back to nuvaring."

Brittanylb May 22, 2018

For Birth Control "If I could rate this a zero I absolutely would. I’ve had the worst experience being on it. Severe mood change, depression and anxiety. I never was able to put two and two together until recently due to the fact I had been off of it and felt a million times better, then got back on it a week ago. Immediately the symptoms came back. The feeling when I was on it ruined my life, lost my job, eagerness to enjoy life, pushed family and friends away, hated who I was as a person. I’m not saying everyone will have this but for me I felt at my worst. On the positive side of things, since being off of this and going through a rough couple years, it’s changed me for a better person, I no longer see things one way or the other, I see beauty in everyone and everything."

Aili May 21, 2018

For Birth Control "For reference, I was previously taking Tri-Sprintec which stopped agreeing with my body - I started to experience breakthrough bleeding during weeks 2 and 3. I was then switched to Sprintec, which also had the same side effects along with constant hunger. I thought I’d give Nuvaring a try as I liked the idea of not having to remember to take a pill everyday. I do not feel it at all at any point, I’ve had no issues with it falling out, no hunger or other side effects and my period is the lightest it’s ever been and down to about 3 days. Very happy. I know most people only leave reviews when they’re unhappy with something. I wanted to be sure the positive is also shared as everyone is different."

DM85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I would not recommend this form of birth control to anyone. The side effects are a nightmare. I used my Nuva Ring for approx. 3 months before I had to discontinue use. I lost a HUGE amount of hair. My hair started thinning so rapidly after I started using the ring and it took me a few months to realize that the ring was causing it. I also had Zero sex drive whatsoever. I removed the ring but I feel that my hair is still thinner than when I started. DO NOT try this birth control."

Chicagoan345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Nuvaring for 7 years and I accredit bloating and occasional UTIs to it. It kept my skin clear and it was easier to remember than a daily pill so I might switch back to it as I've been very unhappy with all other birth controls I've tried."

Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on nuvaring years ago and while my husband (then boyfriend) didn't say anything, he later told me it made me “crazy”. I didn’t remember that. All I recalled was that my adult acne cleared up and I didn’t get the brown upper lip I got from other BC. I went back on it recently for 3 mths and the only pros were: no pregnancy and I skipped my honeymoon period. I was a newlywed and I was supposed to be happy as ever..instead I was clinically depressed. I had mood swings. I craved sweets constantly with no self control. I’m usually a health nut and a gym junky. I was weak and tired. I got home and would climb in bed when I used to hit the gym. I hadn't worked out since I started the BC due to utter exhaustion. Since I quit I’ve got energy and I’ve regained control of my appetite. I think every body reacts different to meds. Give it a try but be advised of possible side affects. Don’t just live dragging through life when there’s other BC options."

Sweens (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I used NuvaRing during the entirety of my 20s and loved it. It is an extremely effective birth control method and I didn’t experience any negative side effects. However, I just began using it again last week after a 3 year period of abstinence and I am experiencing really severe anxiety and a sour stomach. It was wonderful before, so I’m just going to wait a month or two to see if I adjust to it, but I really wasn’t expecting this at all based on my prior experience."

Returner (taken for 10 years or more) April 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on the Nuva Ring for 3 years now and I absolutely love it! I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday, it's comfortable (I don't feel it while I have it in at all), it's very easy to insert and remove. I haven't had any bad side effects thankfully, unlike other types of birth control I've tried in the past that gave me horrible side effects. I did find out from my doctor, because I seemed to constantly get yeast infections after sex (yes he did "go" inside me) and couldn't figure out why, Well come to find out if you have sex with it in and your partner ejaculates inside of you, you need to take the NuvaRing out, wash it off and insert it back in. Once I started doing so I no longer had any issues! So still till this day this is honestly my favorite type of birth control."

CMichelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on NuvaRing for 6 months now and am deciding to take it out TODAY. I’ve been noticing the DAY I’m supposed to take it out for a week to have my regular period, I literally feel like jumping off a cliff. I’m so depressed. I am a singer/performer and love being on the stage and around people. Lately all I want to do is be home in a cave and not see anyone. Even if I’m out hanging with a friend, I immediately have anxiety, want to go home and don’t enjoy the things I usually do. I’ve been so nauseous for months but never tied it to birth control. I have bouts of crying episodes for no apparent reason. I even have waves of paranoia and rage...especially when it comes to moments with my boyfriend. My sex drive is pretty much the same but besides that I feel like a different person. I can’t live like this anymore. The is not the person I used to be. Hoping I feel better in a few days.."

Skyeler (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on NuvaRing for 7 years before I decided to stop taking it so I could have a baby. It worked well as a contraceptive. In those 7 years, not once did I get pregnant. It took away all my face, neck and back acne. I did gain 10 pounds even though I exercised weekly and ate less. My libido was not great, but manageable. No other side effects but those. After I stopped taking it, it took 2 months for me to get pregnant. Now I have a 2 year old boy."

Maggy (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2018

For Birth Control "Was on it for 8 years 1) crushing migraines 2)30 lb creeping weight gain-Without changing diet- spontaneously shed to 20 pounds without trying when off it 3) SEVERE panic disorder 4) 100% loss of sex drive 5) dizziness and vertigo 6) perfumes caused nausea 7) Extremely enhanced sense of smell 8) queasy 9) Light sensitive..pupils like pinholes, even in dim light 10) dry eye 11) chronic diharrea 12) heart rhythm problems when standing for longer than five minutes. 13) hair thinning on scalp 14)decreased sweating 15) hot and cold flashes -23-31 years old 16) heat exhaustion while spending time outside in summer 12) hot all the time- kept the a.c. in my classroom freezing cold 13)vaginal itching 14)gum recession 15) hands and fingers puffy 16) A1C range verging on diabetes even only 15 pounds over healthy BMI range. And guess how many of these symptoms went away after I stopped Nuvaring? EVERY SINGLE ONE"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 13, 2018

For Birth Control "Honestly the nuva ring works differently on everybody, each individual has different side affects to things and the Nuva ring works wonders for me. I’ve been using it for 4 years and have not had any bad side affects at all, it’s gave me clear skin and it’s helped me maintain a steady weight. It definitely prevents pregnancy if used correctly and it’s very easy to use. Only negative thing I have to say about it is that my boyfriend experience a mild sensitivity to it but that went away after a couple months."

Nat (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2018

For Birth Control "My experience was absolutely the worst. I used the Nuva ring for 2 years with my boyfriend. I argued with him so much and thought he may have cheated (I thought it was him) causing the reoccurring Yeast infections, BV, and UTI. My sex life was so up and down because of the infections. I would literally burn so bad after sex. I stayed at my OBGYN’s office. The bad thing is I asked my doctor did she think the Nuva ring played a role in these infections. The office kept telling me to wear condoms or change hygiene habits. I did everything stopped scented soaps and everything. If I had really done my research on this then I would not have used this ring. I was told it was the safest BC. The only good thing is that I did not get pregnant. Please do not use NUVARing the side effects are not worth it. #1 risk of heart attacks and blood clots and #2 vaginal infections. Please do your research and save yourself the time and headaches."

KayD (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2018

For Birth Control "It made me feel depressed and very anxious. Got mad at my boyfriend for no reason. All that started after using the ring. Was close to having a proper panic attack for absolutely no reason. Also it made my appetite increase and made me crave sweets all the time. That is absolutely not like me. I stopped during the 5th day of my second ring. But 2 of my friends are on it and they like it. It made my period easier, it's super easy to insert. You don't feel it when it's in there. Just have to remember to put it back in on time after sex."

Emma (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

For Birth Control "Have used nuvaring twice. For roughly 4 months last year, after which I took it out because I was experiencing headaches, weight gain and constant bleeding. Nuvaring did help to clear up my hormonal acne which I get once a month before my period starts. I did not get pregnant so it did work as birth control. I recently put the nuvaring in again as a retrial, but it's only been a week and I'm taking it out. I have a constant headache, my appetite is haywire. I have stabbing chest pains and after reading some of the dangers of nuvaring, although rare, I've decided it's not worth the risk or side effects."

Del (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I tried nuvaring because I got tired of having to remember to take a pill everyday. It was a bad experience. I’ve never had acne and when I started taking it I began breaking out. I thought it might take a month or two to get used to it and as of the third month the acne was getting worse. Initially, it caused cramps and was irritating my vagina. The irritation subsided for the most part but there were days it was very uncomfortable. As most birth controls do, it caused weight gain not a huge amount but definitely several pounds. It made my appetite increase significantly, especially for sweets. It’s likely because you’re body is being exposed to all those hormones at once instead amor a small amount at a time like the pill. I’m sure it has worked great for other people but for me it’s a NO!! I really wanted it to work, sometimes simpler is better so it’s back to the pill for me."

Nia (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I was afraid of trying Nuvaring after reading the reviews, but it’s worked really well for me. It’s been 6 months now, and I’m less depressed/anxious and my hormones are more stable. I’m using it for endometriosis. The oral pills I tried gave me horrible acid reflux. I had a bad reaction (hair loss) to LoLoestrin, horrible mood swings on OrthoTriCyclen Lo, got seriously depressed on Apri. I don’t have headaches or circulation problems with Nuvaring, but prior to taking BC, I had trouble with my blood not clotting fast enough. My only complaints with nuvaring are: 1. issues with it fitting/staying in place the first week, I guess it’s too rigid and too long (awkward) and 2. I’ve experienced breakthrough bleeding for weeks at a time when I try to skip my period (doctor’s instructions for dealing with my endo). Overall, the steady dose of hormones has made mood swings much less of a problem. And there’s no alarm on my phone anymore to remind me to take my BC pill."

Yorkiefsn886 March 22, 2018

For Birth Control "Although it did it’s job by never getting me pregnant, I had many infections while using the NuvaRing. Our vaginas aren’t made to have something artificial sitting in it at all times, so I think it irritated me. Having regular vaginal infections was not fun and definitely put a damper on my sex life. With that being said, I think I am very sensitive. My body seems to reject anything foreign, even ear piercings. So if this seems like a good option for you, I would definitely try it and see how your body responds."

Kirstie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2018

For Birth Control "Terrible. I had it in for two days and was so moody- I was irritable with my boyfriend and all my coworkers and I’m usually a very happy person. I decided to switch from the pill to the nuva ring because I’m not good at taking my pill on time but I could not deal with the way it was making me feel. I know that my body needed time to get used to the hormones but I couldn’t take it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst experience of my life. Ended my relationship with my boyfriend and caused major family issues that I don’t know how to fix. My anger was like a car without brakes. I felt violent and enraged from about 3 days in, and had terrible acne and insomnia. I had a proper psychotic episode that lasted almost two months. I can’t warn against it strongly enough. I would have ended up in prison if I used it longer."

Jes (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on the nuvaring for about six months now and the first three months was miserable. My whole face had broke out in cystic acne, which I've never had before. It was very stressful getting rid of certain foods that I thought caused my breakout but after my face cleared up I realized it was just my body getting used to the birth control. I don't notice any signs of depression but I have real bad anxiety that I've never had before. Also, my boyfriend and I get into these little arguments over NOTHING! Right when he starts to raise his voice at me I just break down crying for no reason. I haven't gotten pregnant on this and it has never fallen out for me, however, I'm definitely going to consider switching to an IUD."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018