User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

Birth Control 706 reviews 282 medications

6.9
Summary of NuvaRing reviews 706 reviews 6.9

Reviews for NuvaRing

For Birth Control "I don't normally do these but I have to share what I went through on the Nuvaring so that maybe it can help someone else understand more about it. I had been taking the Nuva for 2+ years with no complaints. I was/am currently in a monogamous relationship. Very happy. We've been together for many years now but we're still quite young. (Early 20s) one thing that was never reliable was our sex life. I desired him and vice versa, but I was just never in the mood. This went on for a couple years and all along I thought it was me. Many fights came out of this. Long story short, I ran out of refills and went a few weeks without and realized the nuva was surpressing my libido. It almost cost me my relationship. Take from that what you will."

58588906443 September 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on nuvaring for about 5 months and it was pretty good until i got a different partner. Initially I experienced some bleeding in the very beginning during hard sex, but now with a "bigger guy" I've blead quite a bit, and he says that he can totally feel it (and it doesn't feel the best). We tried having sex with out it and I didn't bleed, but still having to take something out before every time you have sex and being on a 3 hour time constraint per 24 hours is not that fun. It does have its pluses though, like you don't have to take the pill everyday. However also, explaining to a guy that he might feel something up there during foreplay is also not the funnest..."

bleeding during sex (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I am an emotional wreck. I cry about everything! My sex drive is down. My acne is worse. My cysts are inflamed, but I have STOPPED bleeding. The many different bc pills didn't help with that. I have bled 3 ish weeks out of the month for the past few years and nuvaring is our (mine and my gyno's) last effort before taking out my uterus (I'm 26). I'm really hoping that some of these side effect calm down the more my body gets used to this medicine because right now it is trading one bad situation for another."

Anonymous September 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on NR for about three weeks and I just took it out. The very first side effect I noticed was acne. I've never had acne before until I started this. My face was covered! I had brown discharge after the first week, which I know was normal, but I occasionally got this foul smell and more discharge. It hurt too much to have it in during intercourse and it bothered my boyfriend too, it never stayed in good, I could always feel it at the opening of my vagina, but what made me take it out is the itchiness and burning feeling I get from it!! I couldn't take it. Honestly I felt gross the whole time having something inside of me all the time."

cc19 September 7, 2016

For Birth Control "So.. I had sex for the first time ever with my boyfriend .... And I'm on the nuvaring... He didn't have any protection.. But we thought that it would be OK... Because of the birth control.. Well..... I'm pregnant."

RadioactiveTimeGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

For Birth Control "I would NOT recommend this birth control for anyone! My first few days on it were okay, I did not feel any of the symptoms besides a little bit of heavier cramping and more abdominal pain while on my period. However, when my period was over and I tried having sex for the first time with my boyfriend, my vagina didn't stop burning afterward. It probably lasted all night. Since then, every time I have sex, it's fine during but afterward is really painful. It burns when I pee, my pH makes me feel gross and sometimes gives a smell, and this lasts for the rest of the day! Trying to have sex a second time is soooo painful, it even becomes so dry down there that it makes it worse. Do not use Nuva Ring!!"

Melanie Martinez (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

For Birth Control "It's so hard to review BC because it's different for every woman. But my experience with the ring was just okay. I was on it for a year. Didn't effect acne or my sex drive. Losing weight was extra difficult. I got BAD headaches and the worst cramps I've ever had. However, my period was very predictable and only lasted about 2 days. It was nice to not have to think about taking a pill everyday. Left it in during sex and no problems. For me, though, the cons outweighed the pros. Plus, depending on your insurance, it's very expensive."

Saf0302 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2016

For Birth Control "I LOVE THE RING!!! Ladies, I seriously recommend the ring to anyone and everyone. The ring has given so much freedom in college and it's amazing. I've been on it for a year and have had zero side effects. ZERO weight gain, no acne (in fact my skin is clearer than it was before being on the NuvaRing), no mood swings, no decrease in sex drive etc. 5 of my friends have tried the ring as well and they love it too!! You can't feel it once inserted and it stays in place during sex and won't move until you take it out. It's super easy to put in as well! It has helped make my period super manageable and I have no PMS. I used to suffer from painful periods and now I don't have to worry about any of that. It's great! Give it a try!"

Al Pal141414 August 28, 2016

For Birth Control "What a low-hassle birth control method! I love that I can easily insert it and forget about it for 3 weeks. It's flexible- you can use it continuously or on a cycle so that you get a period week - which I appreciate. I experienced a bit of breakthrough bleeding the first month, but other than that I experienced no negative side effects. The only thing I don't like is having to refrigerate it before use since I share the refrigerator with many other people."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

For Birth Control "i've been taking NuvaRing for 6 days now. i was previously taking Yaz pills. CONS: I'm breaking out more than normal (the pill controlled my breakouts to like 1 a week if i was keeping up my skincare) and I've had about 5 white heads since starting and i don't normally get white heads so I'm not thrilled about that, also It drains my energy & i can't stay up more than 5-7 hours before NEEDING a nap, its so bad i can barely keep my eyes open even while driving at that point and when i do nap its VERY HARD to wake up fully and not feel groggy, hoping that stops. PROS: can't forget to take it, has made me even more lubricated down there (hasn't affected sex drive negatively at all)"

jones95 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

For Birth Control "After the first week and a half of severe itching - so bad it disrupted sleep - and being able to feel the ring rubbing my insides, I began getting cysts all over. I finally discontinued use but I'm afraid the scarring isn't improving."

PickTen August 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I gave the Nuva ring a good go for 3 months. Love not having to take a pill and I can't feel it in me, nor can my boyfriend. But, It's given me pimples, made my boobs sore and destroyed my sex drive. I'll be going back to yaz."

CasF (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Nuvaring for about 4 months and I just took it out and will be getting back on my previous pill. I had been on the pill for like 6 years with no problem except I was just tired of having to remember it. My dr recommended NR, so I tried it. Totally effective when it comes to preventing pregnancy and you can't beat the convenience. BUT I feel like I have a UTI all the time, my skin has gotten worse and I've gained 10 lbs even while eating healthy and cutting out processed foods and dairy (I'm 5'1, so 10 lbs feels like 20 lbs). Just my two cents but all BC affects people differently"

LizFev90 August 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I Love nuvaring. I've been using it for one year. I've used many different methods of BC and this is by far the best. I've experienced no weight gain, no mood swings, and maintain a healthy sex drive. Here is the best part: it has cleared up my severe cystic acne completely and my skin stays 100% consistently clear while I'm on it. As someone who has struggled with acne, this is huge for me. Nuvaring has helped my self esteem more than anything. I also love that it has kept me child-free so I can achieve all my goals and dreams. One down side is that I do take it out every time I have sex because I feel like it's uncomfortable to have it in during sex. But it's worth the clear skin. And I've done 2 rounds of Accutane- this works way better."

Chrichri (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Honestly, if you want to experience PAIN then this is right for you. Yeah it prevents pregnancy and what not but the amount of pain you experience in your uterus is totally not worth it! I am 20 years old and I've never experienced this amount/type of pain. Its extremely harsh and it feels like needles piercing through you! I gained 4 pounds the first week and I'm VEGAN! My breasts got bigger too and I'm not complaining but the pain just isn't for me."

Dino B (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been using the Nuvaring for almost a year now and I absolutely love it. I keep mine in for the entire month and usually replace it without allowing myself to have a period. I feel as if the pros definitely out way the cons. It has proven to be 100% effective and it is so convenient for my crazy schedule. I have experienced around 25 pounds of weight gain. I was only around 110lbs when I started this birth control so the weight gain looks healthy. My breasts are very tender most of the time and they have doubled in size. I am a little more tired then usual and sometimes have dizzy spells. I do think it is very convient not having to worry about taking a pill everyday and I feel very healthy. My sex drive hasn't suffered much either!"

k2036492 August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on NuvaRing for almost two years now with little problems. I switched from the pill because the various kinds I tried made me super hormonal. the Nuva Ring is easy in, easy out. Not felt during sex for my partner. More recently I have noticed being dry for no reason even when I'm extremely turned on, and I have gained 15 pounds since I've had it with no change in my diet or excercise. I've gained about 1 cup size also."

Kaitlin143 August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I switched to the NuvaRing from the pill several months ago. Plus side is no more having to remember to take the pill everyday. The pill gave me bad body acne and cystic acne which NuvaRing cleared up. However, the NuvaRing gives me crazy mood swings every month like clockwork. My poor boyfriend will do something and I snap and can't control my anger. I feel like it's the end of the world and cry excessively. I think this is the end of hormonal birth control for me. Would not recommend if the pill or another hormonal BC did not work with your hormones. Also, the pill and the NuvaRing give me horrible canker sores that I have to take prescription medicine for. Going to try the copper IUD next. Hope this helps anyone in their BC quest :)"

Hay_erin August 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the NuvaRing since November of 2015 at my 6 week appointment after having my first child. I love not having to remember a pill every day. I do however suffer from depression, and I have noticed that whenever I take it out for the week of my period I am way more moody than I ever was before... I have also gained a few pounds since being on this birth control, but I can deal with that. It has decreased my sex drive tremendously but I also don't want to have another baby yet, so not having sex with my husband like we used to isn't a big deal for either of us. I love this product and I will continue to use it until I'm ready for baby #2 and after that baby I will use it again! "

BMK3712 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2016

For Birth Control "After two years on the pill, I decided to try this product as my method of birth control. Pros: - You don't have to remember to take a pill every single day - You can't feel it when it's in - You partner won't really feel it during sex after a few times - It works! I have even left it in for up to four weeks to prevent my period from starting during an important event or a vacation Cons: - You may be very dry. I'm not sure why but even when you are aroused it is difficult to "self lubricate." But that's nothing some lube won't fix."

megannr (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

For Birth Control "23 years old, petite body size. i've been using the nuva ring for a little over a month now and so far i really like it. prior to using the nuva ring i was taking birth control pills. not having to remember to take a pill everyday is such a relief! the first time i got my period using the nuva ring it normal. slight cramping but nothing out of the ordinary. my boob size has increased probably a half cup so far. the only down side is that my partner can feel the nuva ring when we have intercourse. intercourse can be uncomfortable for him if the ring is in, so we have to take it out. removing and inserting the nuva ring is very simple. i would recommend this birth control."

jess_23_ August 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on it for 6 months with few side effects (vaginal discharge and itchiness, mild nausea and the occasional dizzy spell. Also, after sex the semen would just sort of leak out.) But those were mild issues compared to the mood changes that started in month 7. I noticed that little things would bother me and I was angry a lot. I was thinking it couldn't be the birth control because I have been on it for 6 months but I tried taking it out anyway and sure enough after a day, I feel happy again! No more anger. It was effective for preventing pregnancy %100. So talk to your doctor and see which BC works for you. Everyone is different so it may not cause any mood changes or side effects for you."

BC babe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 6, 2016

For Birth Control "So far I have no complaints. Easy in easy out. I take mine out befor getting busy ;-)but thats just me. No side effects yet. I am breastfeeding a 9 week old and havent seen or felt it decrease my supply or put baby off nursing which is a huge plus for me. I have forgot to put it in within 3 hours but since Im still breastfeeding exclusivly Im not to concerened. Id definatly say try it out. You have total control and dont have to think about it another BIG plus for me, I dont have time to rember BC till its to late. ;-)"

Ak4x4girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I had this in for about two months, at which point I started experiencing horrible headaches. I had a migraine once, too. This happened for about a week straight. That combined with the almost constant fatigue (two naps a day sometimes) made me decide to take it out. It also killed my sex drive, but I kind of expected that."

Lfs213 August 3, 2016

For Birth Control "Ive used the NR off and on for almost a decade. Its fantastic, but does have side effects. Typically regular, short, and light. periods. This was huge for me not being regular ever without it. But for me it causes about a 10lb weightgain and kills my sex drive."

TwinMomSD (taken for 10 years or more) July 28, 2016