User Reviews for NuvaRing

Birth Control
6.5

Summary of NuvaRing reviews 6.5 927 reviews

Reviews for NuvaRing

For Birth Control "This was a big mistake. I went in for a consultation about an IUD and got talked out of it and was told I should try this first since I can do it myself. I thought it was perfect. BOY WAS I WRONG. The ring put me into a worse depression than ever before. My hormones were all out of balance, I got acne, it constantly fell out and was uncomfortable, had heavy periods, gave me yeast infections, etc. I stuck it out for 3 months and finally took it out and went for an IUD. Getting off this birth control was one of the best decisions. Be very careful when using this drug..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

For Birth Control "The NuvaRing is officially “the devil”, I loved it the first two years and like most was recommending it to everyone. However, I got off it for four months (Jan-April 2018) then went back to it in May because I didn’t want to get prego. Well it’s been a nightmare since, I have the worst mood swings and can’t stand my own self. Lost all motivation, depressed, angry, happy, sad. Labia itches, armpits smell weird, constant headaches and bloating. It’s like I’m living in a nightmare and I can't get out because I’m afraid of becoming pregnant....... so I lay around crying all the time wishing for something to change. OH AND yeah the week I take it out I do feel human again, so I think I should take it out NOW and feel alive again."

SOS (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I started depo March of 2016, decided to try out Nuvaring because of the ease and I felt like I would be in control of my bday. I started Nuvaring in November of 2017 and nothing extremely noticeable went wrong. The months past and I started to notice my hair was thinning but I didn’t think much of it. February of 2018 is when everything went TERRIBLE. Insomnia, anxiety, depression. I was a MAD WOMAN I just couldn’t pin point my change in emotions to Nuvaring. One morning in June I woke up and could literally not stop crying for no reason something instantly snapped and I snatched the Nuvaring out that day. Suddenly, my mood changed for the better. Here I am in August and my mood swings are awful the week of my period. It feels like I’m on Nuvaring all over again. Hopefully my hormones balance out and I’m not stuck feeling like this the rest of my life."

Taylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Bleeding a lot on month 2 and experienced painful sex 50% of the time:("

AA (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Birth Control "This drug ruined my life. I've lost my job, I couldn't recognize myself, I even suffered severe anxiety and depression. I was on leave for 2-3 months from work. I am better since being off of the drug but never quite the same unfortunately. I still suffer from anxiety though not as severe as when I was actively on the drug. I wish I never started this medication. I was a positive hard working person prior now I can't seem to get back on track."

Danielle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2018

For Birth Control "Easy to use, loved how just pop in and don’t worry about it. I have found first month a mild headache daily while it settled in. My sex drive has gone down but I just blamed my useless boyfriend haha My appetite did go up I’ve been on for 3 months and I think it’s made me put on weight. Give it a try as it’s really convenient, see how you go. At least your in complete control and can take it out yourself no Gyno appt for removal like others"

Tippy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I went to my gyno because I was experiencing anxiety due to hormones. He put me on this to "regulate" hormones. It sent me into one of the worst depressions I've ever experienced. Anxiety, horrible dark sadness, nausea, vomiting, smells made me gag, extreme insomnia (didn't sleep a wink for 4 nights straight) and rage. I went to the doctor to get some sleeping pills because I literally could not sleep and she recommend I take out the ring. Literally 24 hours later my brain turned back on. It's been 5 days and I feel a lot better but not completely. This stuff was hell on earth. Please take with extreme caution!"

Miss Boom (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

For Birth Control "This was the worst birth control experience of my life. I took yaz, and loestrin Fe for years before this med. I used it for two months. I just took it out one week early, because of the illness I experienced. I am on day four of a migraine. I am 28 and have never experienced such a long and intense migraine, with so much vomiting and shaking and eye pain. I got a bunch more migraines than usual overall from this med, but this one takes the cake. This stuff is pure poison in my body. One should note I am otherwise an 100% natural eater and exercise almost daily. Healthy other than this poison. Can’t wait to go back to feeling normal. August 2018"

Delphine (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been using the Nuva ring on and off for 3/4 years. I never got any effects like vomiting, head aches etc and I never got pregnant from it so It seemed like it was good. Until I started getting depressed. For months I couldn't pin point what it was (of course life in general sometimes causes it, work, relationships etc) However something kept telling me to stop using the ring. I stopped using it at the beginning of last week and I have a completely different outlook on life now! More energy, no mood swings and I generally feel happier. I'm done with tricking my body with hormones, its back to rubbers for me!"

Hats August 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I used the ring for a little over 10yrs no problems, no weight gain, but about 5yrs into it, I started having chest pains every so often, as well as really bad headaches and nausea I put up with it do to the convenience of the ring, but then started getting really painful periods to the point that I took it off and all the symptoms went away. After about 8 months then I got pregnant no problem now my husband is just going to have a vasectomy to avoid all the complications the come with birth control medications."

Boo (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2018

For Birth Control "19-20 years old. When I was on it about 1 year, continuous use, I did not have a period for about 1 year. Then I started having severe!!! pain randomly that I couldn't walk and had to stop to try and breathe. At night, I would wake up because of such severe back pain, it was the most hurtful thing I ever experienced. I would have to use the bathroom in pain for about 1 hour before going back to bed with no pain. This happened almost every other night. It was EXCRUCIATING PAIN that I have never felt elsewhere. Obgyn said that it was nothing special and to do stretches, eat better, earlier before sleeping. But when I took my ring out to get a period every three months, my back pain went away. When I have a period it gives me the worst cramps but only lasts 2 days. It's been good and bad but man.. if you're not scared of the shot or having an IUD, that's a lot better than the ring. If you're not even having sex then don't do it. The back pain I got is definitely not worth it."

peony August 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Have tried various pills and mirena before nuvaring. Very happy with nuvaring. Helps with my acne (which was terrible with mirena), I can't feel it at all (even during sex) and love not dealing with the stress of taking a pill daily. Only problem in the expense, but in Australia my private health insurance covers half the cost. Other friends who have tried have not had as much success, but it works great for me."

Becca (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the nuva ring in my early 20s and loved it. My insurance stopped paying the majority of the cost for it, though, and so I had to switch. I am now 30 and got back on it and hate it! I got through my first three months and felt ok. The next two months is where it got bad. My Dr recommended it for my PMS symptoms but it made them worse instead of better. I was moody and I mean MOODY! So much so that my boss asked if I am alright because I am typically a happy person. I felt extremely tired all of the time. Had basically all of the pregnancy symptoms. Gained 12 pounds in one month out of nowhere. Headaches all day everyday and nothing would relieve them. I took it out a month ago and have already seen a tremendous difference in all of those symptoms."

mw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 2, 2018

For Birth Control "After spending 2 years on Nuvaring and ending up on blood pressure and anxiety medicine I’m done and never looking back! An incident with insurance caused me to lose my coverage for a few weeks so that when I needed a refill I couldn’t afford it and decided to go without it. I couldn’t be happier that it happened that way. I realized soon after not having it in my system that I felt like a total different person. While on it my blood pressure was up which led to me being put on meds for that. And it caused all sorts of other problems! Such as anxiety, depression, panic attacks, high heart rate and a pounding heart, constant nausea ( I had motion sickness just moving my head), headaches when it got close to the time to take the ring out. Extreme weight gain and hunger, moodiness, anger, the list goes on! I just can’t get over how different I feel after coming off of it. I no longer need the anxiety or blood pressure meds, and my therapist even let me stop coming!"

Libsmama July 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I took NuvaRing for years in my mid to late twenties. Loved it. I never gained weight, it prevented pregnancy, I had no cramps (except for the first two months), I loved the option of having a period or not, and I liked monthly option vs daily. The only downfall I experienced was more mucus “down there.” I then took a break from the Nring so we could have children. I am now 35-y-o, back on it, and my experience with NuvaRing is completely different... and I’m getting off it stat! I’ve had major weight gain (12 lbs), am extremely moody, I get the worst cramps, my sex drive has diminished, I feel less motivated/more tired, and I’m getting frequent migraines. I did read the risks of taking it if you’re 35 and older beforehand (blood clots) but I never had symptoms and felt I’d give it a try. I don’t recommend this at all for women 35-y-o+ and those who have given birth. The estrogen that is added to the ring has been no bueno for me."

Sara K-B (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2018

For Birth Control "Was on it for 3 years had many problems from being fatigued to cranky to blood clots which was the worst. I guess it depends on everyone's body. Mine as soon as I got off it everything was upside down. Had gum problems for a year thanks to the crazy hormones , discoloration on skin , bad skin , severe sensitivity to the sun. Now off going on 18 months from not using any bp and I feel so much better will never use any method unnatural again!!!"

Zharndrah (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm a 25 year old, good health and was on NuvaRing for 3 months, ended up in the ER and diagnosed with Venus Sinus Thrombosis, AKA I had a stroke and an active blood clot in my brain. I had lost half of my right eye vision. Was in the hospital for 5 days, now I’m on blood thinners and being monitored closely. They believe NuvaRing was the cause of my stroke!! Please BE VERY CAREFUL on this birth control!! I had just made it to the hospital on time and was blessed enough to be a survivor!!"

KatRod (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been using the nuva ring for about 2 weeks roughly. It has caused me stomach aches in the beginning followed by headaches. As its coming up to the date where I'm suppose to take it out I'm feeling menstrual cramps, mood swings, anxiety/panic attacks, and depression waves. I do not feel like myself. I can't sleep, and I can't eat properly. I was recommended to use this medication because I was diagnosed with PCOS- (Polycystic ovary syndrome) I am 24 years old, I have never been on birth control till now. I will be making an appointment with my doctor about this, it's actually really bad."

distressed (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Used Nuvaring on and off. Gave me the worst cramps of my life! Aside from that I had no other problems. I’m debating on going back on it or trying the implant since my IUD is due to come out next month."

Mimi87 July 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I been on Nuvaring for a week now and I feel totally fine no symptoms of any kind just left appetite. After reading all these horror stories I’m a little worried, I guess it depends of our bodies we’re all different."

Rein (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Birth Control "This ring was hell for me. Week 1: Excited to try a convenient form of birth control. For the first two weeks I experienced mood swings but thought this will stabilize. I also had a surge of acne which I normally do not have. Week 3-4: Acne went away but mood swings continued. Week 5: same. Week 6, 7, and 8: horrible. I started bleeding heavily every day heavier than a period for three straight weeks. This was accompanied by cramping and an upset digestive system. Week 4: I passed a blot clot vaginally which hasn’t happened since I had my daughter 3 years ago. By the end of the second month I was physically exhausted from the blood loss and pain and an emotional mess from being unstable for 2 months straight. I took it out...and it’s like the sky became blue again slowly I returned to my normal self. No birth control method is worth this type of hell. Done and done. Back to the pill."

Sunny June 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on nuvaring for 3 months and it's been the worst decision I have ever made. I'm removing it today. Since I started nuvaring I get strong headaches, nausea, dizziness, depressed, angry, dizzy."

Anonymous June 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I went off Nuvaring last year after struggling with crazy side-effects for over 6 months, and I still think of the time on it in total horror. I was seduced by the ease of use and the convenience. The idea was great. What it did to my mental health was a horror. I wasn't myself; I had horrible mood swings. Even thoughts of sex revolted me. The loving touch of my partner made me want to throw up. I have never experienced similar states of my libido. Sex did not just seem disgusting it was painful. Dry like a desert. I feel like I lost a year of an awesome sex life to nuvaring. The week I went off it was a huge relief and a return to the senses, an end to the mental self-blaming hell, return of healthy emotions and desire. So, if you're wondering if NuvaRing is messing with your desire and mood - it is. Trust yourself and your body. Don't prolong this suffering, switch to something else."

AT (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Nuvaring as a birth control for years and it cleared my acne. Made me feel more stable emotionally. I loved not having to take a pill everyday. The only problem I had with it is that my sex drive is super low when I'm on it. After having a baby I switched to another birth control but I'll probably switch back to nuvaring."

Brittanylb May 22, 2018

For Birth Control "If I could rate this a zero I absolutely would. I’ve had the worst experience being on it. Severe mood change, depression and anxiety. I never was able to put two and two together until recently due to the fact I had been off of it and felt a million times better, then got back on it a week ago. Immediately the symptoms came back. The feeling when I was on it ruined my life, lost my job, eagerness to enjoy life, pushed family and friends away, hated who I was as a person. I’m not saying everyone will have this but for me I felt at my worst. On the positive side of things, since being off of this and going through a rough couple years, it’s changed me for a better person, I no longer see things one way or the other, I see beauty in everyone and everything."

Aili May 21, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...