User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

Birth Control 682 reviews 280 medications

6.9
Summary of NuvaRing reviews 682 reviews 6.9

Reviews for NuvaRing

For Birth Control "Ive used the NR off and on for almost a decade. Its fantastic, but does have side effects. Typically regular, short, and light. periods. This was huge for me not being regular ever without it. But for me it causes about a 10lb weightgain and kills my sex drive."

TwinMomSD (taken for 10 years or more) July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on Nuva Ring for over 8 years. I have horrendous periods, so my OB told me to insert every four weeks and skip all but 1-2 periods a year. It worked great as far as birth control and controlled periods so I didn't have any. I couldn't feel it once I got it in right, and really didn't have a whole lot of other problems. The only reason I am switching is because the ring can cause cervical erosion, especially if you have very sensitive skin. This results in pain and bleeding during intercourse. It's a relatively easy fix, they cauterize the touchy spots, but still very awkward. I am now switching back to the pill to see if I can find something that isn't so hard on that tissue."

Anonymous July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Nuvaring for 6 months. I previously had the arm implant, but the hormones caused cystic acne and irregular bleeding. No problems with the Nuvaring aside from slight weight gain (couple of pounds), which I can live with. My periods have been very regular, no spotting, no mood swings, no change in sex drive. I experienced minimal cramping the first month and continued bloating during my periods. This is a good option for those who have a hard time remembering to take the pill everyday. Once a month is phenomenal!"

KH238 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I absolutely love the nuva ring and have been using it for one year. I did notice slight mood changes at first, but my moodiness eventually went away. My doctor taught me a great tip for inserting it. If you use a tampon applicator (minus the tampon and replace with the ring) to insert, it works great! It has never fallen out during sex. However, it has to be the plastic kind. Definitely noticed an improvement in my skin as well!"

Foley006 July 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I started the nuvaring almost a month ago and a week in I was very emotional. My boyfriend told me he noticed I acting different and I actually had a break down one night. Lucky for me he also helped me realize it was my bc. I was hoping it would increase my sex drive but it's the same."

Octa July 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the Nuvaring for 7 years. I got it when I was 18 because I didn't want to take a pill everyday and I was scared the shot would make me gain weight. I love my nuvaring besides the fact that it has killed my sex drive. Thats the only downside I've experienced. So if that doesn't bother you then I highly suggest it. It cleared up my face of acne, I didn't gain any weight, it shortened my period to be about 3 days long and is very light, no extra moodiness or anxiety. The perk of it is you can skip a month in between your periods. I put it in for 3 weeks, take it out and have a period. Then the next month I take it out and put a new one in at the same time on the 4th week. I hope this helps anyone considering it."

jeh1021 July 13, 2016

For Birth Control "Yesterday I stopped using Nuvaring for the 2nd time. The first time I quit I wasn't sure if it was the ring causing my depression or just the things going on in my life at the time. A year later I went back on it because I became more sexually active and I loved not having periods and the clear skin it gave me. The first 2 months it gave me horribly sore boobs, I also noticed I was a little moody but thought it would go away once I regulated after 3 months. 7 months in and I'm a full blown basket case with life ruining depression and anxiety. I'm mad I was on denial that nuvaring was causing it for so long. Do your relationship/mental health a favor, do not use nuvaring. I feel so bad for my boyfriend for putting up with me for so long."

Catwich (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2016

For Birth Control "So I had tried the pill in college which left me 30lbs heavier, fast forward 4 years and I find myself trying to pick out a birth control that wouldn't cause such a dramatic weight gain. I tried Nuva per my OBGYN's suggestion. I really like how easy it is to use. I never had a problem inserting or removing along with no problems during intercourse. My periods were also lighter. Nuva really worked with my schedule.The downfall is that my face broke out with cystic acne (which is extremely painful). My breasts hurt 24/7. I have no sex drive. I constantly feel like I have a UTI or something. My appetite is up and down sometimes I feel sick for no reason. Also I get 1-2 headaches a day since starting nuva."

Madk (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I started using the Nuvaring January 2016. At first I thought of it as a worry free BC where I don't have to worry about taking a pill at a specific time each day. However, as the months of me using it piled up, so did my mood changes, killer cramps from hell, and increased anxiety. I'm depressed all the time, anxious all the time, and I get mad at my boyfriend for no reason at all. He's asked me to see a counselor. That's how bad it's been. I also have a decrease in sex drive, vaginal dryness, and discomfort when having intercourse. I spoke to my gyno about my situation and she suggested leaving the ring in for 4 weeks rather than 3. After reading all these reviews, I decided to take out my ring today and I'm going back to my gyno tomorrow"

SamIAm422 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I used nuvaring for about 6 years. It is very easy to use, it sits on your cervix just like a tampon. You can't feel it when it's in there if you have placed it correctly. Very easy to put in place and remove. It helped a lot with my periods. I am extremely irregular and have awful cramps but the nuvaring helped regulate my periods and helped greatly with cramping. My husband was able to feel it when we had sex but it didn't really bother him most of the time. There was one or two occasions where it ended up rubbing a painful raw spot on him through. I never experienced weight gain or a change in my sex drive. However I suffer from migraines and this made them much worse and more frequent. Would recommend for anyone without migraines"

NillaGrl2k1 June 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on the NuvaRing for nearly seven months now and I love it. I am a busy college student and I was terrible about remembering to take the pill/I couldn't take it at a consistent time each day because I was never always home at a certain time. This lead to a lot of scares. Since I've been on the ring I have not had any adverse side effects. No weight gain, no mood disturbances, no pain, etc. It has been wonderful for me and I don't think I'd ever consider another form of birth control at this point in my life."

KyleeB123 June 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on the Nuva ring for almost 3 full years. I would agree with many other reviewers- zero sex drive. When I do have sex I have to use tons of lubrication which my body lacks terribly- I am wondering if the ring is what is causing the dryness during sex. I also feel like it causes irritation periodically. I also found that it will sit low and need to be adjusted sometimes. I am really considering consulting with my doctor and getting off permanently. On the flip side- never gained weight, was super easy to insert and forget about, maintained periods, didn't feel like it caused moodiness or was mentally hazardous."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I started this because I was possibly going to be put on methotrexate for lupus. The only thing I have noticed was weight loss, about a pound per week."

Umanduhhhh (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on the ring for a few months I have had an increase in appetite, times where I feel nauseated out of no where, I have gained 12 lbs!! I am highly into fitness and can't seem to shake this extra weight off. Moods def change my bf thinks im crazy now lol. I have dryness and irritation in my lady parts kinda sucks feeling you got a yeast infection 24 hours a day and sex is not so great. I plan on taking this out tonight now looking at all the reviews this def is not for me. Thanks everyone for sharing! I am not alone!"

Alex12 June 16, 2016

For Birth Control "Do NOT use! Especially if you know that you are more sensitive to hormonal changes. I took this and literally an hour after I put it in I had a major rush of heat and felt like I had been hit with depression, anxiety and had a panic attack as a result. Everything felt unreal. I've had anxiety and panic attacks before and I've never felt like that before. I was crying and paranoid. What an awful experience. I would never recommend to anyone. Going to possibly try something like the copper iud that uses no hormones...crossed fingers it works."

Danger Nuvaring (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I like NuvaRing and I have been using 2 months, but the vaginal irritation is horrible. No other real side effects. Breastart are always tender, no mood swings, appetite changes, weight loss/gain. I don't really have a sex drive but it doesn't bother me. I would keep using, but the irritation is so bad. I'm constantly itching :( and when I told my Dr she said there was no yeast so it's the ring."

Mia0924 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the nuva ring for about 3 years now. I have had no problems except I literally have no sex drive anymore. Which really sucks. I constantly feel bad for my boyfriend of 4 years because I just have no desire for it at all, which makes sex painful because I am not wet enough. This is unfortunate because I love every thing about the nuva ring besides that one issue. However, I am still probably going to switch to something else because that is a big factor for me."

Jesssi (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

For Birth Control "I found the Nuva ring to be a hassle. Two weeks after insertion of the Nuva ring I had to take it out! The first week I started experiencing nausea, headaches, cramps, noticable excessive vaginal lubrication, desensitivity around my lady parts. These symptoms followed into week two and started getting worse. I couldn't tell if the nuva ring was effecting my mood or not due to mental health issues I already have, I didn't know if I was just having a bad few weeks of depression ( which is normal for me ) or if maybe the Nuva ring was causing me to feel bad. I also, I found the Nuva ring hard to insert as it felt like it was always going going to come out, and had to keep putting it back in place. I would not recommend it. Just wasn't for me"

Cassigrace June 4, 2016

For Birth Control "I used the NuvaRing method for 18 months. I loved it because it was easy to place and you forget that you even have it "there"; but I had to stop using it because I was having yeast infections every single month- I was miserable and the medication that my doctor prescribed wasn't doing any better. Also my sexual drive went from average to zero."

Ceciros (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I started nuvaring on 5/15/2016 and took it out 5/28/2016. I am 38 and have 3 children. I felt so depressed, emotional and aggravated for the past week. I am extremely tired, headache, and just feel off. I'm nauseous and hungry at the same time. I don't know if it's in my head or my body needs to adjust but I am scared of going forward or symptoms worsening. What really made me nervous was my eyes felt like I had a fog over them, I took it out and flushed it down the toilet. 30 mins later my eyes were clear again. Maybe I was being paranoid I don't know but that wasn't for me. I'm getting my tubes tied."

CarmenS3 May 29, 2016

For Birth Control "Gained 60 pounds in less than 3 months, periods went from 28 day-4.5 day clockwork-regular to 2X a month, 9 day long murder-scene heavy. PMS used to be mild to nonexistent, went to migraines from hell, debilitating cramps, etc. Dr. told me to stick with it. I did for a year. Off the ring, took a year and lots of work to get my periods back to something approximating normal and the weight will NOT budge. I did not have weight issues before, never had. Now I also have endometrial hyperplasia and have been told the weight is sticking no matter what I do to lose it due to an overabundance of estrogen. If you use the Ring and start gaining or going period-wonky AT ALL, stop, please, immediately and do not be like me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on the Nuva Ring for about two months and while I know it takes a few months for your body to get acclimated, this has been a nightmare. I have tried a variety of different forms of birth control and none have given me more symptoms than this. My sex drive has always been above average and since being on this birth control, I have had zero desire to have sex and when I do, it takes quite a bit of foreplay to get me only barely wet. On top of that, my mood swings are INSANE. I have been more angry in these last two months than in my whole 25 years of life. While it is great for convenience, I would not recommend this certain type of birth control to anyone."

Anonymous May 14, 2016

For Birth Control "Pros: less acne, birth control, easy to use - you don't have to think about it a lot. Cons: While on the ring I gained 40 lbs, developed severe anxiety to the point where I would become so nervous that I would shake - if never experienced anxiety before, and began to develop eczema on my face - every time I was sexual my face got very red and splotchy."

Chz May 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on the nuvaring for almost 10 years and I had very few problems with it. Yes, it feels like putting a jelly bracelet in your hooha once a month. However, I had great skin, short periods (3 days, my back would kill for the first day) and never got a decreased sex drive. I have had issues with certain well endowed partners playing ring toss though, which can be awkward. That is the only reason why I am switching to an IUD. Overall, a great experience for me."

Cooperr23 May 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Nuvaring for a year now and it is the most effective and worry free method of BC I have ever used. I did gain some weight on it but I'm a stressed out college student. while I think the ring is great has had some adverse side effects for me personally. I have terrible back pain with my periods even thought they are short lasting 3-4 days. I have such a decreased sex drive and it is so affected and sometimes puts a strain on my relationship, (I have been with him for 3 years so he's been thru the BC changes and has noticed himself)..and the ring has probably made my aniexty worse, I did not have anxiety problems until using the ring, they are mild episodes but still annoying to have. havent gotten pregnant so it's good for that"

Anonymous May 7, 2016