User Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 5, 2020

“The Nuvaring has been the best form of birth control I have tried. I’ve been on many many different BC pills over the course of several years and the worst by far for me was MonoNessa. I had horrible side effects due to the Mononessa & nearly passed out everyday on it until I finally switched to the NuvaRing. Everyone thinks it’s scary because it’s in your vagina but it is so simple and you don’t even know it’s there. It’s especially nice when you want to skip your period and can leave it in. But just remember to change it every month! I have had no side effects it’s been about 1 year and it’s so much easier than taking a pill the same time everyday. It has never slipped out and I 100% recommend at least trying it if you’re like me and have had a bad experience with the pill!!!! I don’t get morning sickness, my acne is gone, my mood swings aren’t bad, no depression/anxiety anymore since switching, no weight gain.... i can’t recommend this enough”

Krr · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

“Love Nuvaring!! Had some side effects such as spotting, cramps, chills the first month, but it all went away on the second ring and I love not having to think about it. Also, no pms, no mood swings and no worries ”

nicky · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

“Only a week using this birth control. I had to switch to it because I'm very forgetful and wasn't taking my pills like I should and within this week I was VERY angry, I was mad at everyone and everything. Never again will I use this birth control wanted to love it but back to the pill I go!”

Erinrich98 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 4, 2020

“I had a mostly positive experience with the Nuvaring, but ultimately discontinued use. Pros: I have a clinical diagnosis of endometriosis, and the ring made symptoms like cramping, heavy bleeding, nausea, and vomiting less frequent and more bearable. My skin was beautiful. My cystic acne disappeared, and I only got 1-2 small, almost undetectable pimples a month. I also loved how convenient the ring is. It’s so much easier to remember to change your ring every 3-4 weeks than take a pill at the same exact time every single day. Cons: The first few months I had some mood swings and got frustrated and angry at little things. This did taper off. Noticeably lowered sex drive (but this might be more connected to endometriosis pain). Near constant spotting. I would spot 8 weeks on, 1-2 weeks off. Spotting was the only reason I discontinued use. I wish my body reacted better to these hormones, because it really is a fantastic BC option. I would recommend it to a friend.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2020

“I had a bad experience with the pill so I moved on & got the Nuvaring. I loved Nuvaring at first. I didn’t get a period every month which was nice. I also never got pregnant which was it’s main purpose. During the 4+ years of being on this ring, I had this inexplicable pain inside my vagina during sex. It felt as if someone were stabbing me with a very sharp knife. I went to different gynos begging for an answer. No one knew what it was. “Switch lubes” is often what I heard. ( I tried them all). This in turn made my libido a zero because it was so painful to have sex that I never wanted to. Not good on a brand new marriage. My husband & I eventually decided we wanted to get pregnant and it was only months after I got off Nuvaring that the pain went from a 10 to a 3 & eventually a zero. I would NOT recommend this product as it took many years to get back to normal.”

Shay · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 9, 2020

“I used Nuvaring for about 4 years until recently being forced to switch to the new generic. My first 3 months with Nuvaring, I suffered severe depression. I felt like I was alone all the time. Since my doctor didn't tell me depression was a common side-effect, it took a while to identify the source of the problem. After a few months, however, the depression subsided and I enjoyed using Nuvaring for a few years. It's definitely easier than the pill. Starting ~1.5 years ago, though, I started having inexplicable vaginal/uterine bleeding, especially post-coital bleeding. I've had all the (painful) procedures and tests done to figure out a cause, and nothing has been identified The only thing that helps is to take a break from the ring. So we'll see how it goes with the EluRyng, but I'm suspicious.”

dtlo · Taken for 10 years or more March 3, 2020

“If you want to fart and cry for a week every month, then Nuva Ring is right for you. Aside from not wanting to get pregnant, I use this because I’m on a category X drug. I’m not allowed to take this medication unless I’m on birth control. I’m forgetful so the pill was never my friend. Depo made me gain 20 lbs. I dismissed IUDs because of the risk of infection but after 10 yrs of week long mood swings, irritability, crying and farting, I’m going to talk to my doctor about making the switch. It works but at a cost.”

Toytoy13 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2020

“I've been on NR for 2 and a half months and I don't know how much longer I can tolerate its side effects, from the mood swings to feeling angry all the time, low to no libido at all and feeling distant from my partner and I've been bleeding the entire time I've had it in. I'm hoping maybe in another month or two my body will adjust to the hormones but we'll see if i even make it that far.”

ItsGreat March 2, 2020

“I would highly recommend because: 1. Regulated my period. I know exactly when it will arrive. 2.My period is not as heavy and only lasts an average of 4 days at most. 3.I NO LONGER CRAMP!! Its actually amazing. My cramps used to be extremely excruciating! Now I am CRAMP FREE! No other method has done that for me. 4. I don't really get a lot of the other PMS symptoms like sore breasts or nausea. I only notice that I get curvier a bit more plump around the time before and during my period, which since I'm on the lighter side is kind of flattering haha. 5. I know its not guaranteed to work every time but so far I have not gotten pregnant and I only use this form of protection. Obviously stay safe though don't risk it. Overall AMAZING product, you barely feel it in there, leave it in for 3 weeks and take it out, short period, minimal cramps, magic. <3 (9/10 because of the mood swings but I'm not even sure its the birth control causing it)”

AA · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2020

“I’ve used NUVA ring in the past but just got back on it about 8 months ago. It was fine I also suffer from really bad migraines so I do noticed I tend to get a little bit more headaches (not sure if it’s related to the birth control) but just within the last 2 months I’ve noticed a chemical smell coming from my Vjayjay! I know it’s not BV, yeast or a sexually infection as I get checked constantly. I noticed when I take the ring out the 4th week to get my period smell is gone, 2 days after I insert new ring smell is back and it’s very strong to the point I can smell it outside my pants! That’s a deal breaker for me! I’m a very clean person and I won’t walk around with any vaginal odor! I took the ring out today and my underwear had a VERY STRANGE CHEMICAL smell! I probably will never get back on the ring again I’ll just stick with the pill. That’s about the only bad side effect I had with the ring.”

zo · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“I tried Nuvaring for one week while I was on my period. Idk if it was my adderall or a combination of pms, adderall, and nuvaring hormones but I was ready to fight just about everyone! So angry!! Also extra emotional! The ring kept falling down to the base of my vagina which was uncomfortable but the worst part was THE ITCH and PAINFUL PEEING! And I just got tested for STD's so I know it couldn't be anything else. The ITCH was so bad that I had to take it out! BC sucks!!!!!”

Anonymous February 20, 2020

“within the first month I had dramatic mood swings. After the first month I started to notice that I did not smell like normal. I went and told my healthcare provider and they tested me for BV and Yeast infection and both came back negative. Month two I had prolonged bleeding. The smell got worse so I went to my gynecologist and told her I was concerned. She told me that it takes three months to fully sync with my body so I kept using it. I just finished my period month 3 was at a networking event and caught whiffs of fish. I pointed it out to my coworker and he responded “yeah I smell it too, I’m trying to ignore it.” I left the event early and once I was alone, turns out it was me. I have not been sexually active and maintain self hygiene so I believe it is nothing other than how the nuvaring is reacting with my body. I’ve taken it out and am no longer continuing with this birth control method.”

Jo · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 16, 2020

“I am a nurse and am confident I’ve never had depression during my life. On the contraceptive pill post having my kids I had the”black dog” within a month and immediately ceased it when I realised the link and felt better within days. Fast forward two years and I’d say the ring has done the same thing but also the levels of irritation I’ve felt have also felt heightened to anything I’ve experienced. I just took it out as I’ve had a difficult weekend and really do think this is the link. I’m 43 and have not felt like this before. It does “its job” but you need to look at what is happening to you carefully. Nil sex drive is also a thing for me that I think now may be linked. Definitely nausea that comes and goes and headaches, I’ve never been a person who uses Panadol etc and suddenly I’m needing it for headaches. I’m very hopeful I’ll feel better as this is all out of character for me.”

Jmic · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 15, 2020

“I have been on Nuvaring since November of 2017. I loved to be able to control if I had a period or not. I didn’t have any issues what’s so ever until Jan 2020. I went to pick up my prescription and was given the newly released Generic version of this. It has been absolutely horrible. It is now mid Feb and I have been sporadically heavy bleeding (pantiliners can’t even handle it) ever since I put this new ring in on 1/28/2020. The generic version of this is horrible and besides the constant bleeding I am now emitting a horrible and embarrassing vaginal odor. I called the pharmacy and per insurance if there’s a generic I have to use it. So I’m probably just going to stop using it and I hope to find another method of BC that works great like the Nuvaring (actual brand) did.”

38/ 2 kids/+10yrs Nuvaring · Taken for 10 years or more February 15, 2020

“Nuvaring for 10+ years until 2014. 2 kids later back on 2017. I had shorter, lighter periods and even skipped my period every other month by keeping the ring in and swapping them out. That was nice. I had a usual moodiness a week before the ring was due to be out. I have noticed unsuccessful weight loss since children but chalked it up to my age (late 30's.) I started Eluryng, generic to Nuvaring this month. It has been a nightmare. During the first week on I was spotting after exercise. It would last a day. The second week I started a period. I removed the ring after 2 1/2 weeks. I felt this ring unlike Nuvaring and also felt a burn. I have been bleeding very heavily this third week. Heavy. I am hoping this is penance for all the missed periods over the years. After having the ring out I now notice I am nicer and feel more attracted to my spouse. I really hope my "normal" cycle is not what I have been experiencing or I will have to find an alternative birth control.”

kb February 13, 2020

“I've only been on it a few weeks but unfortunately my already large boobs have swelled up even more and are super sore. It's also made me grumpy and emotionless, I've been much more easily agitated than normal. I had been doing really well mentally for over a year prior. Got talked into trying Nuvaring by my OB b/c apparently condoms alone are irresponsible. Even-though, they've worked just fine for me for the past ten years. I also admit I was in to the idea of being able to "skip" periods with the ring. Personally I didn't experience any vaginal burning and don't feel it in there at all but have had some random abdomen pains. Needless to say, I'll be sticking with condoms.”

Sami · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 12, 2020

“I LOVED NuvaRing. I was put on NuvaRing as a last minute decision after the birth control pill I was originally on caused a lot of abnormal bleeding. I never really experienced any side-effects, occasionally I would have a lower sex drive than normal and I also gained about 10-15 lbs but you couldn’t really tell. NuvaRing also helped clear my acne a lot which was great because I suffered from cystic acne for years. Unfortunately, a generic form of NuvaRing has been recently released so my insurance will no longer allow me to continue NuvaRing so my doctor decided it was best to put me back on the pill (a different brand than before) which is devastating because NuvaRing was really great and I highly recommend it.”

sm · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 11, 2020

“I started the ring for BC purposes, and used it for about a year and a half. I decided to stop using it because I no longer had the risk of getting pregnant (for personal reasons). Within three or four weeks of stopping it I started getting texture on my skin and then cystic acne. I’ve been off it for 4 months, and the breakouts literally will. not. stop. I don’t eat dairy, & I already limit my oil & sugar intake. I drink water and exercise semi-regularly, so I’m just waiting out the breakouts. On the other hand using the nuvaring was excellent!! My period lightened up and shortened to 5 days instead of seven, and it didn’t cause me cramping. I just had hormonal pimples around the time I would menstruate, but I had that before I started using it too so that was normal for me. If anything, while I used the nuvaring my skin was cleared than usual. I’m considering going back on it just to stop the current breakout.”

Queen92 February 7, 2020

“Nuvaring worked good for my period and endometriosis but I discontinued my ring because this Nuvaring had me in the emergency room in pain and sickness! Good luck for those who started and taking the Nuvaring. I'm good here now but never again putting any type of birth control device inside me.”

Liv · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 7, 2020

“This is my second experience using NuvaRing and it's just as good as the first. I have PCOS and am on anti-depressants. It's easy to use, and I love that I can just set it and forget it. Pros: cleared up hormonal acne, shorter lighter periods with significantly less cramping, balances my hormones, no intense cravings. Cons: severe breast tenderness the first few months of using (a week before removal through the week of insertion), hot flashes during the night the week that it's out and mood swings. Honestly, after the breast tenderness subsided, I can deal with the other side effects after it's removed because for me, the pros outweigh the cons.”

Jade February 5, 2020

“I LOVE my nuvaring. I have been on it for close to two years and I did not experience any side effects; my periods were shorter and lighter; and it’s effective.”

Active teen · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2020

“My periods used to be seven days and are now 2/3. I don't bleed nearly as much and I get It at the exact time and date every month. I use it perfectly and never worry about pregnancy. I'm so happy I switched from the pill to the RING! I am a little bit more emotional but it was good for me since I didn't feel a lot before.”

Concerned father · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“Horrible for my daughter. Went to the ER with shortness of breath, primary care was worried about blood cloting, had massive increase in anxiety & stress. Most miserable experience for all involved.”

sarah January 25, 2020

“I read A LOT of terrible reviews & was extremely hesitant to put my Nuvaring in; decided to try anyway & am super glad I did. The 1st 2 days I felt a little muted emotion-wise but after that totally normal. No weird feelings or anxiety or depression (which was my main fear/no go) no irritation, no loss of sex drive. Actually I feel like my hormones finally balanced out. My son was born 3 & 1/2 years ago and I still didn’t feel quite normal. I’m so happy that I ignored the bad reviews and tried it for myself. People usually post about their negative experiences, rarely their positive ones; so I have made it a point to post mine. I for real feel better and happier than I have since before my son was born; like the ring balanced my wild uncontrolled hormones and put them in check. Keep in mind my ring has only been in for 1 week so I will post later about the long term. FYI I cannot feel it during sex unless I’m on top (my mans very well endowed) and then very rarely. He says he can never feel it.”

D January 18, 2020

“I will say, the only good thing about the nuvaring is that is has effectively prevented pregnancy. My fiancé and I don’t have a hard time getting pregnant, so I tried the IUD and my body rejected it. My OBGYN recommended the nuvaring. I’ve been using it for 10 months and I am done. My depression has gotten worse, I had to start antidepressants. My anxiety is through the roof. I always have headaches and I’m so angry all of the time. It’s either I’m mad or crying. I don’t like this feeling. I do not like the nuvaring. I’m also sensitive to medications and it could be the hormones, but still. Not a great experience.”