User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

"My skin was clear & I didn't get pregnant or gain weight but I got severely depressed & anxious on the pill. Then when I went off of it my hair started falling out in chunks & hasn't stopped... that was 8 months ago... don't recommend"

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used it for years when I was a teenager, never had problems. Went off it for a few years, felt like it was important to give the hormones a break/let my body reset, balance itself out. Went back on it (I'm 26 now). Only been back on it for a little over 6 months-- this 2nd time around hasn't been so awesome. Makes my periods lighter/shorter/less crampy which is convenient, but I'm tired of the dryness/itching/discharge. My vagina is some level of irritated/inflamed/bothered, pretty much 24/7. Sexdrive lower, and some anxiety/nervousness/depression (tho its hard to tell if its 100% because of the ring). Headaches/nausea, can't have sex without lube. Nice to be able to have unprotected sex, but only if you can enjoy it. Not ovulating is weird"

Laylahhh August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I only lasted 6 weeks on the nuvaring. I experienced several side effects. Vaginal discomfort, headaches, ache, depression, fatigue, mild nausea, complete loss of sex drive, and a weird sense of feeling unbalanced, but not quite dizzy. I also experienced an uncommon side effect where my cervix became so swollen I thought my uterus was prolapsing. After 3 weeks I started spotting. I switched it out at 4 weeks for a new ring and had breakthrough bleeding. I finally decided to just take it out because my swollen cervix was really freaking me out and I'm now on day 20 of a messed up period. I passed a large amount of tissue a couple days ago and had a ruptured cyst this morning. Neither of those have ever happened to me before."

Dean021 August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on NR for 3 yrs the first time (mid 20s) and I absolutely loved it. It was SO convenient to only think about my birth control 2x a month instead of daily. I did not experience any side effects or weight gain, and my periods were light and short (only 3 days by the end). Now, 10 years later (mid 30s) I am back on NR. It has been 6 months and unfortunately, I have noticed I get very emotional the week before my period. I will cry over the most insignificant things and I am moody and angry to the point that I can hardly control my temper, even in professional situations at work. I am generally a happy person and have never had these kinds of issues before. Reluctantly, I must quit NR :( Best wishes everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Personally I LOVE nuvaring. I hated the pill could never remember to take it. With the ring leave it in 3 wks or 3wks n 2 days take it out for 4 days allow myself to spot to make sure I'm still good and put it back in. Dr told me I didn't even need to do that. I can leave it in for 4wks bc I didn't need my cycle regulated I just didn't want the menstrual cycle or pains lol. I can pick and choose if or when I want a cycle - I love that freedom. Hardly felt it at all. It has only come out during sex twice. Great concept. CONS 1st time putting it in disaster lol. Even now after 5yr being on it I have slight trouble here and there putting it in bc I'm dry. Sex drive decreased. Angry ALL THE TIME it seems like. Depression spells. Issues with my contacts"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on nuvaring for several years and I absolutely love it. I insert a ring every 3 weeks for 3 months then take it out for 1 week to allow a period. This is what my doctor suggested and I was all for having only 4 periods a year. The only side effect I have are mild leg cramps that Motrin can take care of. This is a very effective birth control. It does become a little hard sometimes to insert or take out the ring but you can always have your partner help you."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started to notice a pattern that the day I would insert it, for the next 24 hrs following insertion, I was incredibly naeusous, but I dealt with it. The reason I ultimately got off of it was because after 7 months of severe anxiety, mood swings, and angry outburst with no explanation, I figured out that it could potentially be my Nuva Ring. I'm a 23 yr old, active student/teacher. I lost all motivation to get through the day or go to the gym. I constantly picked fights with loved ones, and I was so hard on myself and my personal appearance. I turned into someone I wasn't. Was going to therapy 2 times a week for 4 months, trying to figure out what triggered my anxiety. Got off of NR once I put 2 and 2 together. Finally back to my normal self."

TGri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using the Nuvaring for a few months now. In this time I lost my virginity and it was extremely painful and I had no sex drive. I figured the pain was just from the first time but the pain continued every time I had intercourse and I rarely even wanted to have sex; because it hurt and I had no sex drive. My boobs have grown a size and I have gained approximately 10 pounds. I thought there was something wrong with my body and the low sex drive was a symptom of depression. After reading the reviews I feel so relieved to know there's nothing wrong with me. I've decided to switch birth controls, however other than those side effects, the nuvaring has kept me from getting pregnant and regulated my period"

livy8383 July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The NuvaRing at first was odd for me bc iIwas scared it was going to fall out, but if it is pushed inside it should stay in place and still work. I'm very active and I've had no problems with this. At first I did have some light bleeding and more recently I've have light brown discharge, but I've read that this is completely normal and that the nuvaring is still working. I have experienced some bloating and headaches easily but it's usually around a certain time of the month. my sex drive seems fine, it might have gone away for a few weeks but that could have also been due to stress. (FYI my doctor told me to keep it in for 4 weeks, bc I am using it for birth control and not to regulate my periods)"

DaniB123 July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on nuvaring for about 6 years. PROS: I've never gotten pregnant. My boobs went up 2 cup sizes. its not uncomfortable at all. It regulated my period. Much easier than the pill, you put it in, then you can forget about it for 3 weeks. But the BEST THING for me was that it cleared my acne. CONS: I am moody, more depressed, will cry for any little thing. I have always been 110 pounds my whole life with tiny fluctuations now I'm heading towards 125 pounds! No sex drive at all. Broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years because we never had sex. It gives me constant BV and daily vaginal discharge which is the worst side effect to me. I have decided to stop it. I'm sick of having BV, and I don't want to gain any more weight."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started the nuvaring last month, my first 3 weeks on it were awesome. I had the implant in my arm for 2 1/2 years and bled all the time so I decided to try the nuvaring. My first month was the best! I didn't gain any weight (I weigh in daily), I was a little moody (but I'm naturally pretty moody/emotional anyways), and the constant irregular bleeding was stopped and regulated within days on it. The only downside of it for me was I started getting headaches from it - easily cured with water and Advil! Another issue I had was my doctors didn't describe how to remove it/location so I was panicking about that but it was easy once I figured it out! Just set it and forget it for 3 weeks - I love it!!!"

PgPanther179 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the NuvaRing for almost 2 years before discontinuing due to side effects. At first, it was very convenient and I did not gain any weight. Over time though, I started to experience worse and worse heart palpitations, dizziness, anxiety and paranoia. I noticed these symptoms would intensify the day I took my NuvaRing out. I have been off it for about a year and I feel much better."

Lucy H (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I was on the nuvaring for less than 1 week. I think it's been only 4 days, I just took it out for good. The first day everything was fine, the second day I experienced the worst itch in my vagina, I mean terrible. I've never had a yeast infection, and this is my first time trying birth control. It also made my vagina extremely dry. Sex did not really hurt but was hardly enjoyable BC I was not wet at all, and he said he pushed it back up there for me during sex.. Don't recommend this method of birth control at all, and I'm really not sure where to go from here, as I am very wary of all the hormonal side effects of all methods of birth control. I am very disappointed and do not want to ever experience this kind of discomfort again."

Anonymous July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is great not to have to take a pill, but the ring comes out all the time! I have to fix it twice a day usually. I've been to the doctor and she said I'm fine, it just happens with people sometime. It's so annoying! Why would they make it a ring shape?! It's such a poorly designed product. Women aren't meant to have ring shaped things in their vaginas! Make it a cylindrical shape, like a tampon."

BethMoore July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's ok but I started to develop a yeast infection after two weeks"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on NuvRing for 3 years. At first, I loved it. Not having to worry about it and being able to skip periods was amazing. About 2 years in, my sex drive was non-existent. After, I stopped it came right back. It also was painful having sex while I was on it. I definitely experienced the hair loss with it. I did experience weird symptoms taking it out as well. My nipples were sore to the touch, and constant bloating. I also gained a lot of weight coming off, 13 lbs in 2 weeks. It was easier to lose weight about 2 months after stopping. Overall, it wasn't a horrible experience. But, I would not try it again!"

jthrash (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay so just be aware everyone experiences things differently and our bodies are all different. So I was on the Nuva ring for 3-4 weeks and at first I experienced a lot of cramping and discomfort during sex. I had no sex drive and I ended up getting a yeast infection the last week having it in. Currently I feel as though I have a UTI. I like that I don't have to worry about it for 3 weeks and it'll help regulate my periods. Unfortunately lately I've been super moody and emotional that I want to cry about every little thing. I personally can't feel it but my husband can during sex and it kinda freaks him out"

TeeHern July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had high hopes for this birth control. Heard a lot of great things... And then I tried it myself. 17 days is all I have lasted. Today is Day 17. I'm 37. I already have issues with depression and acne and have heard good things from other's who had normally suffered from these things and that the ring changed their life. Well, Day 17 and I can't stop crying. I've been beyond depressed in weird stages. I've had a headache that has lasted over a week. And I have a handful of new cystic acne in weird places beyond my face. Placement was fine and I rarely felt it. Can't wear tampons with it. Not weird during sex either, except I haven't had an orgasm for two weeks! And this is my experience... Good luck, I know everyone is different...."

Wasn't for Me (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This method is great for those who forget or don't like to take pills. However, it may completely eliminate your sex drive. I don't think about it, I don't dream about it. My husband is hot and I just look at him like "what do you want for dinner?" I had a pretty high libido before Nuva ring. Anyway, these drugs effect people differently so just know This is a possibility."

Ali904 June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this birth control. I don't really have any issues with it except if I try to skip my period when I haven't done that in a while. Just be consistent with it. Fantastic."

SexyButterfly June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First couple days it worked out okay, I had a headache here or there and was pretty moody but other than that it was okay. I loved not having to remember a pill every day and I couldn't feel it at first. However around day 4 on it I got a yeast infection from hell. Before the Nuvaring I only had one yeast infection in my whole life and Monistat cleared it up without a problem. I used Monistat to treat the one I got from the Nuvaring and it itched like crazy and felt like I had pepper sprayed my own vagina.. needless to say I'm switching back to the pill."

lacy_22 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Nuvaring since I was 15, now I am 24 and I've only been on Nuvaring. I've enjoyed this product BUT I can say it has changed my mood and I have no sex drive. I've been with my boyfriend for 8 years and I just get angry at him for no reason. For years I thought I was mentally ill but I have finally realized it's my Nuvaring. Most people post on here have recently started using it, of almost 10 years of using this I can say it's a love/hate relationship. Pros: It does its job! Cons: Mood swings, headaches, and no sex drive. I am looking into nexplanon, but scared to turn out into a crazed fiend and put more strain on my relationship. I've been irregular all my life so I don't know with a new bc."

Almost 10 years on Nuvaring (taken for 10 years or more) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the pill before Nuva Ring and the pill made me moody and cry a lot. I'm definitely not one to be emotional. So I tried Nuva Ring now 8 months later I still love it. I really like that I can put it in and forget it for a month. I can skip periods if I want. Although I've found I can 2 months without a period but then I have to do the period thing so I don't get breakthrough bleeding. I'm also very much in control if I decided one day I didn't want it anymore I'd just take it out. I haven't had any weight gain. When I do get my period it's short and light. The only con I had was I lost sex drive for about 5 months. It's returned though so I'm happy. Everyone is different but I'd highly suggest giving Nuva Ring a try!"

Yup87 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Inserting and retrieving the nuva ring takes some getting used to but after a few tries, you'll get the hang of it. The side effects, however, were so overwhelming I stopped using the nuva ring after 2 months. The positives were I didn't have to think about it everyday and normally I have acne but on nuva ring I didn't experience break outs. The negatives were my mood. I was irritable, depressed and cranky after about a week on the ring. Generally I'm mild tempered, sweet and forgiving. Not on nuva ring. I was overly emotional; crying, yelling, grumpy, annoyed. It was affecting my quality of life so I removed it. I've been off of it for over a week now and feel like my goofy playful self again. I'll never go back. Its not worth it."

Not Worth It (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Some of you females here are so uneducated about the NuvaRing. It effects people differently. Don't fear another female from getting contraceptive just because you didn't know how to take care of yourself. - You take it out before having sex. That way it is not irritating you when you have sex. - you insert the ring so that it loops around your cervix. That way it doesn't fall out. -your mood swings can be managed with other medication. Learn to calm down & not respond. -Everyone has had acne. My review. I'm naturally a bitchy person who lacks emotion. I had no issue properly inserting the ring. I also downloaded an app reminder. I feel more happy & personable. I maybe losing weight also. I feel secure having an easy form of bc."

Annie G. (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017