User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

"I was so excited for this birth control and now I can't wait to get it out of my system. Only 2 weeks in and already have a yeast infection, major anxiety, feeling depressed and a loss of sex drive.... I'm miserable and can literally cry at any moment. I will never try this again."

ScrewNuvaRing (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First 2 weeks emotionally draining. Uncontrollable mood swings. Breast enlargement, up two cup sizes. Bloating. Weight gain. Nightmares. Cravings. Going on my third week, crazy mood swings have stopped, still up two cup sizes, bloating is going down, no weight gain. Nightmares rare. No cravings. I eat healthy and exercise daily. So the bloating is frustrating but I see it lessens as days pass. The mood swings were scary but it started the first week and it's over now. Thank God. I keep in mind it's a big hormonal change for my body and I'm hopeful the side effects completely stop when my body gets used to it. I'm giving it 2 mths."

Vreynolds (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Nuvaring for approximately 2 years now. I like that it regulates my menstrual cycle, it's comfortable once it's inserted. I occasionally have it slip it out but not a lot. It stays in tact during intercourse, my partner doesn't feel it and effective. There is also an app to use to help you keep up with when it is time to insert it and take it out. The app also helps me know when my period is coming."

Allykee April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is only my 3rd week with the Nuvaring, but I like it very much! I seem to have all of the good side-effects and none of the bad ones. I find it does not make me emotional, which was my major problem with the pill. It has made my skin very clear and acne free and my breasts are bigger. I did notice that my vagina smelled a bit odd the first 3 days, but I think my body just had to get used to something new. I had bad experiences with the pill, the Mirena IUD and the copper IUD so I am very happy to now have something that works."

LadyLady5678 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took the pill last year & stopped it because I was emotional all the time & felt like I had put on weight from it. I decided to try the nuvaring even tho I knew it had the same hormones. It was 10x worse than the pill. I was an emotional wreck, extremely tired all the time, & always hungry. Not to mention it was scary taking it out the first time. I tend to be nervous about doing something like that but it was just awful. I don't recommend this. & I'm never getting back on it."

Nicoles454 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on the NuvaRing for almost 4 years with very few issues. I've never had a pregnancy scare but have had a few issues with bleeding/spotting in between periods especially if I leave the ring in for 4 weeks and try to skip my period. Now I follow the 28 day cycle (leave it in for 3 weeks, take it out for 1 week then put a new one in) and have no issues. I have never had issues with mood swings, weight gain etc. If you pay attention and use the ring in the way that's best with your body (leaving it in and skipping your period or taking it out and having your period) you shouldn't have any issues."

MorgsJaee April 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I put the ring in on the first day of my period, 2 days later my period stopped and I am feeling nauseous, very tired, lost in appetite, and some discharge. I knew it was just my hormones changing so I knew it was going to pass. Within the three weeks I started to notice how much I was sleeping, mood changes, weight gain, and feeling completely horrible about myself. On the 21st day I took the ring out and a day later I have an unbearable itch/ burn. I went to the doctors and they believe it was from my hormones changing. The ring is very effective I've had intercourse plenty of times with no complications like pregnancy or UTI, etc. I will not be putting the ring back in bc the hormones and side effects are too much for me to handle."

Delide123 April 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This was my first birth control method and I'm never going back on it ever again. Nuva Ring messed with my emotions to the max. It was always two very different extremes- I felt really really good or freaking awful. And when it was awful, I mean it was awful. I cried over the littlest things and everything and anything made me angry and I couldn't control it. It didn't even make me gain weight but it just made me feel so ugly about myself. My boobs grew which was nice but that doesn't even outweigh all the bad about it."

weronnie March 31, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I really wanted to give this medicine a chance but I can't do it anymore after just a few hours. Within two hours I felt so tired, I laid down for a nap. My right arm went numb, then I woke up with my whole body numb. Got up to walk to the bathroom and felt light-headed. Now it is six hours later and I feel angry and agitated, like I hate my family. I feel like leaving everything behind. I was perfectly fine this morning. I ended up flushing the thing down the toilet! This thing has only made me feel like rubbish, and I would just rather NOT have sex than use anything like this again!"

ForgetIt777 March 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I ran out of my prescription and hadn't been on the Nuva ring for months. I started back on it two weeks ago and I've been an emotional wreck ever since. My boyfriend even noticed how weird it was that I was happy all the time when I wasn't on birth control and since I started back on it I've been upset and crying every day. I feel so bad for him having to deal with me because the smallest thing will set me off and then I'm just irrationally angry. I hate feeling this way. Going to have to go back to the doctor to get a different bc."

Aasmall (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Being 18 years old and choosing a birth control method for the first was a very scary thing to do especially when I have a horrible memory taking pills everyday but my doctor gave me a variety and I thought nuvaring would be a good idea to start off. Ever since I started I love it! I was so scared due to the horrible reviews but honestly nuvaring was the best choice I could've pick! I love how it's a monthly process, no pills needed and you have control of taking it in and out. I had no problem with side effects I feel happy, I really recommend this birth control method!"

steph382 March 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So, I have had nuvaring for a one 1/2 months now and so far it's been 100x better than nexplanon (in terms of how my body has reacted). No acne, no mood swings, no weight gain. However, one thing that has happened to me since almost day one is a massive growth in my breasts and they are beyond tender. I can't even gently bump them without there being soreness. At first I was worried I was pregnant, but nope! It's just the birth control. I'm hoping it will stop or go away, I don't have bras that fit me since they've grown 2 cup sizes, and well they hurt too :/ another thing is bloating, my weight is the same, however I never have the normal stomach that I've always had, it's like I've eaten a loaf of bread always. I hope it goes away!"

Metanoian (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Nuva ring for quite a few years I though it was great and loved that I didn't have to think about taking a pill but as the years have went by I'm noticing I'm not myself still getting chest pain and leg pain tired all the time no patience, no libido very emotional not sure what to do. I don't do well with hormones but this ring is giving me UTI's and yeast inventions - I hate birth control"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Nuvaring after trying several different pills that didn't work for me (weight gain, irritability, headaches) and the Nuvaring has been amazing! I did gain about 5-10 pounds and my boobs got bigger, but it was worth it because I didn't have many other side effects. The first month I cramped a bit, but it gets better! To insert the ring, I take out the cotton from a tampon and put the Nuvaring in the tampon applicator and insert it that way and it's so much easier than trying to manipulate the ring with your hands. I recommend the Nuvaring to all of my friends that are miserable on the pill"

olive12344 March 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this Birth Control for about 2 years, I just recently stopped it in the middle of my 3 week cycle of it (I got my period 2 days after I took it out so beware). When I first started this I felt anxious a lot and always moody, definitely didn't have any libido what so ever. Also I gained so much weight, and I exercise and ate pretty decent where I shouldn't gain 30lbs all together. When it was about a year into the ring I gained about 15lbs then I stopped it for 2 months lost a few pounds easy and then put myself back on it and gained 30lbs. I really don't like it and don't plan to go back on it....it's funny when I stopped I lost 5lbs the next day."

Nuva Ring (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on the Nuvaring for a dual purpose; birth control & ensuring I have a cycle since I normally don't (PCOS). The first few months were ok. I noticed a little lethargy and some mood swings, but not bad. However, by about month 6, I had two yeast infections that I couldn't cure. I also noticed that I was quicker to anger & mildly depressed. Started having Migraines and sharp pains in my abdomen. Complete loss of libido hit me about month 7, and that's when I decided to quit. Left it out for 2 months, decided to give it another try. Went into the deepest, darkest depression of my life. Went to see my therapist, upon finding out I was on the ring she said it's known to cause it. Took it out, in one day felt tons better. Never again!!"

Faith35 March 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In the past year, I've tried 7 different birth controls. Pills, patches...you name it, I've been on it. I've never had any true issues with any weight gain on BC, but I am very prone to yeast infections. I got them almost every other week. After switching to the ring, I haven't had any and it's been FANTASTIC! I'd definitely recommend this!"

WindyBee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Honestly, it is a pretty effective birth control but it does have some nasty side effects. I've been using it for over 6 months and have had no pregnancy scares. After reading reviews I asked my husband if thought I have been depressed since I started taking it and he said yes without hesitation. So that is definitely a downside to the Nuvaring. The biggest issue for me is that I've probably gained 40 lbs since I started and I've been the same weight for years. I have stretch marks all over my body. It is so awful. I knew weight gain was possible but this has been the worst side effect for me. As nice as it is to not have to think about birth control more than once a month, I am going to stop. I don't want to keep gaining weight like this"

Jenibeni March 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've tried the nuva ring before 5yrs ago before I had my daughter then after having her I got the implanon in my arm. I had so many complications with that so I switched back to the nuva ring after being off of it for a whole year. I didn't have any problem with the nuva ring when I used it before but... the second time is killing me! I have severe headaches, breast tenderness, and I'm tired all the time. My periods are heavy and my cramps are unbearable but my periods are shorter. I like it cause of the fact that you put it in and forget it , take it out and have your period, put it back in and repeat. I just can't take all the side effects I want to get rid of it but it's the only one that works for me as far a convince at this time."

Nena Vanee February 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Giving it two stars because it does serve its purpose- birth control. But it's so not worth the side effects I had for the first week after putting it in place. I had horrifying dreams on the 3rd night and woke up in terror. I was mostly depressed and hated people around me. I was easily irritated by small things. I was negative and wanted to be alone. After noticing the change in my mood I took it out five days later. Just in half a day, I have noticeable improvement in my mood. I wanted to be around my friends again. I'm happier. I wouldn't recommend this form of birth control to any of my friend."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I thought since I had such a horrible experience I would write a review. So I did give it a 2 out of ten just because I didn't get pregnant an entire year on this medicine, so it is technically effective and also is convenient. But the side effects were just not worth it. I literally turned into a crazy person. No libido. I was so unbelievably depressed for months and it came on slowly so I didn't really notice how bad it was until I hit rock bottom. I would cry for hours about nothing. I almost broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years because I was so depressed and I didn't understand why I was so unhappy. Bad experience for me. Not worth it, in my opinion but everyone is different !"

ab7094 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doc prescribed Nuvaring because I would like to use something that does not give me a stomach ache and also simple to use. So at the 5 days, I felt the happiest woman ever. I consider myself a very happy person but after 10 days using it, It's been a daily conflict within myself. I feel sad, lonely, hopeless, worthless, and ugly. I also gain some weight. Yesterday I finally take of it. I hope I feel better very soon. I DO NOT RECOMMEND"

Superti (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started the Nuvaring about two weeks ago. And for the first couple of days I felt nothing. I loved it and thought it was going to be a smooth experience. Well I was wrong. I soon begin to once in a while feel headaches and lots of tiredness. Then I did not feel myself at all. I felt like I had no feelings whatsoever to anyone at all. It was making me not even want to have sex at all so what was the point of even getting on it?? Even my mom and boyfriend said I didn't seem myself. I was super moody and kind of depressed. I took the ring out last night and I already feel better and back to my happy self. Do not recommend"

anothergirl February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on day 4 of using the Nuvaring and I am ready to take it out. It has caused me severe anxiety, mood swings, uncontrollable crying, severe panic attacks. It is awful! 10/10 DO NOT RECOMMEND"

Rachellynnnnnnnnn February 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I switched to nuvaring 4 yeas ago from orthotricyclen. I've had absolutely no side effects, and it's the easiest form of birth control I've ever taken. My periods are lighter is the only thing I've noticed. It's unfortunate that I'm seeing so many bad experiences on here - I honestly recommend it to all my girlfriends."

Magpie3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2017