User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

"I LOVE THE RING!!! Ladies, I seriously recommend the ring to anyone and everyone. The ring has given so much freedom in college and it's amazing. I've been on it for a year and have had zero side effects. ZERO weight gain, no acne (in fact my skin is clearer than it was before being on the NuvaRing), no mood swings, no decrease in sex drive etc. 5 of my friends have tried the ring as well and they love it too!! You can't feel it once inserted and it stays in place during sex and won't move until you take it out. It's super easy to put in as well! It has helped make my period super manageable and I have no PMS. I used to suffer from painful periods and now I don't have to worry about any of that. It's great! Give it a try!"

Al Pal141414 August 28, 2016

"What a low-hassle birth control method! I love that I can easily insert it and forget about it for 3 weeks. It's flexible- you can use it continuously or on a cycle so that you get a period week - which I appreciate. I experienced a bit of breakthrough bleeding the first month, but other than that I experienced no negative side effects. The only thing I don't like is having to refrigerate it before use since I share the refrigerator with many other people."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

"i've been taking NuvaRing for 6 days now. i was previously taking Yaz pills. CONS: I'm breaking out more than normal (the pill controlled my breakouts to like 1 a week if i was keeping up my skincare) and I've had about 5 white heads since starting and i don't normally get white heads so I'm not thrilled about that, also It drains my energy & i can't stay up more than 5-7 hours before NEEDING a nap, its so bad i can barely keep my eyes open even while driving at that point and when i do nap its VERY HARD to wake up fully and not feel groggy, hoping that stops. PROS: can't forget to take it, has made me even more lubricated down there (hasn't affected sex drive negatively at all)"

jones95 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

"After the first week and a half of severe itching - so bad it disrupted sleep - and being able to feel the ring rubbing my insides, I began getting cysts all over. I finally discontinued use but I'm afraid the scarring isn't improving."

PickTen August 21, 2016

"I gave the Nuva ring a good go for 3 months. Love not having to take a pill and I can't feel it in me, nor can my boyfriend. But, It's given me pimples, made my boobs sore and destroyed my sex drive. I'll be going back to yaz."

CasF (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016

"I had Nuvaring for about 4 months and I just took it out and will be getting back on my previous pill. I had been on the pill for like 6 years with no problem except I was just tired of having to remember it. My dr recommended NR, so I tried it. Totally effective when it comes to preventing pregnancy and you can't beat the convenience. BUT I feel like I have a UTI all the time, my skin has gotten worse and I've gained 10 lbs even while eating healthy and cutting out processed foods and dairy (I'm 5'1, so 10 lbs feels like 20 lbs). Just my two cents but all BC affects people differently"

LizFev90 August 19, 2016

"I Love nuvaring. I've been using it for one year. I've used many different methods of BC and this is by far the best. I've experienced no weight gain, no mood swings, and maintain a healthy sex drive. Here is the best part: it has cleared up my severe cystic acne completely and my skin stays 100% consistently clear while I'm on it. As someone who has struggled with acne, this is huge for me. Nuvaring has helped my self esteem more than anything. I also love that it has kept me child-free so I can achieve all my goals and dreams. One down side is that I do take it out every time I have sex because I feel like it's uncomfortable to have it in during sex. But it's worth the clear skin. And I've done 2 rounds of Accutane- this works way better."

Chrichri (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2016

"Honestly, if you want to experience PAIN then this is right for you. Yeah it prevents pregnancy and what not but the amount of pain you experience in your uterus is totally not worth it! I am 20 years old and I've never experienced this amount/type of pain. Its extremely harsh and it feels like needles piercing through you! I gained 4 pounds the first week and I'm VEGAN! My breasts got bigger too and I'm not complaining but the pain just isn't for me."

Dino B (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

"I have been using the Nuvaring for almost a year now and I absolutely love it. I keep mine in for the entire month and usually replace it without allowing myself to have a period. I feel as if the pros definitely out way the cons. It has proven to be 100% effective and it is so convenient for my crazy schedule. I have experienced around 25 pounds of weight gain. I was only around 110lbs when I started this birth control so the weight gain looks healthy. My breasts are very tender most of the time and they have doubled in size. I am a little more tired then usual and sometimes have dizzy spells. I do think it is very convient not having to worry about taking a pill everyday and I feel very healthy. My sex drive hasn't suffered much either!"

k2036492 August 18, 2016

"I've been on NuvaRing for almost two years now with little problems. I switched from the pill because the various kinds I tried made me super hormonal. the Nuva Ring is easy in, easy out. Not felt during sex for my partner. More recently I have noticed being dry for no reason even when I'm extremely turned on, and I have gained 15 pounds since I've had it with no change in my diet or excercise. I've gained about 1 cup size also."

Kaitlin143 August 18, 2016

"I switched to the NuvaRing from the pill several months ago. Plus side is no more having to remember to take the pill everyday. The pill gave me bad body acne and cystic acne which NuvaRing cleared up. However, the NuvaRing gives me crazy mood swings every month like clockwork. My poor boyfriend will do something and I snap and can't control my anger. I feel like it's the end of the world and cry excessively. I think this is the end of hormonal birth control for me. Would not recommend if the pill or another hormonal BC did not work with your hormones. Also, the pill and the NuvaRing give me horrible canker sores that I have to take prescription medicine for. Going to try the copper IUD next. Hope this helps anyone in their BC quest :)"

Hay_erin August 16, 2016

"I've been on the NuvaRing since November of 2015 at my 6 week appointment after having my first child. I love not having to remember a pill every day. I do however suffer from depression, and I have noticed that whenever I take it out for the week of my period I am way more moody than I ever was before... I have also gained a few pounds since being on this birth control, but I can deal with that. It has decreased my sex drive tremendously but I also don't want to have another baby yet, so not having sex with my husband like we used to isn't a big deal for either of us. I love this product and I will continue to use it until I'm ready for baby #2 and after that baby I will use it again! "

BMK3712 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2016

"After two years on the pill, I decided to try this product as my method of birth control. Pros: - You don't have to remember to take a pill every single day - You can't feel it when it's in - You partner won't really feel it during sex after a few times - It works! I have even left it in for up to four weeks to prevent my period from starting during an important event or a vacation Cons: - You may be very dry. I'm not sure why but even when you are aroused it is difficult to "self lubricate." But that's nothing some lube won't fix."

megannr (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

"23 years old, petite body size. i've been using the nuva ring for a little over a month now and so far i really like it. prior to using the nuva ring i was taking birth control pills. not having to remember to take a pill everyday is such a relief! the first time i got my period using the nuva ring it normal. slight cramping but nothing out of the ordinary. my boob size has increased probably a half cup so far. the only down side is that my partner can feel the nuva ring when we have intercourse. intercourse can be uncomfortable for him if the ring is in, so we have to take it out. removing and inserting the nuva ring is very simple. i would recommend this birth control."

jess_23_ August 9, 2016

"I was on it for 6 months with few side effects (vaginal discharge and itchiness, mild nausea and the occasional dizzy spell. Also, after sex the semen would just sort of leak out.) But those were mild issues compared to the mood changes that started in month 7. I noticed that little things would bother me and I was angry a lot. I was thinking it couldn't be the birth control because I have been on it for 6 months but I tried taking it out anyway and sure enough after a day, I feel happy again! No more anger. It was effective for preventing pregnancy %100. So talk to your doctor and see which BC works for you. Everyone is different so it may not cause any mood changes or side effects for you."

BC babe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 6, 2016

"So far I have no complaints. Easy in easy out. I take mine out befor getting busy ;-)but thats just me. No side effects yet. I am breastfeeding a 9 week old and havent seen or felt it decrease my supply or put baby off nursing which is a huge plus for me. I have forgot to put it in within 3 hours but since Im still breastfeeding exclusivly Im not to concerened. Id definatly say try it out. You have total control and dont have to think about it another BIG plus for me, I dont have time to rember BC till its to late. ;-)"

Ak4x4girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

"I had this in for about two months, at which point I started experiencing horrible headaches. I had a migraine once, too. This happened for about a week straight. That combined with the almost constant fatigue (two naps a day sometimes) made me decide to take it out. It also killed my sex drive, but I kind of expected that."

Lfs213 August 3, 2016

"Ive used the NR off and on for almost a decade. Its fantastic, but does have side effects. Typically regular, short, and light. periods. This was huge for me not being regular ever without it. But for me it causes about a 10lb weightgain and kills my sex drive."

TwinMomSD (taken for 10 years or more) July 28, 2016

"I was on Nuva Ring for over 8 years. I have horrendous periods, so my OB told me to insert every four weeks and skip all but 1-2 periods a year. It worked great as far as birth control and controlled periods so I didn't have any. I couldn't feel it once I got it in right, and really didn't have a whole lot of other problems. The only reason I am switching is because the ring can cause cervical erosion, especially if you have very sensitive skin. This results in pain and bleeding during intercourse. It's a relatively easy fix, they cauterize the touchy spots, but still very awkward. I am now switching back to the pill to see if I can find something that isn't so hard on that tissue."

Anonymous July 27, 2016

"I've been on Nuvaring for 6 months. I previously had the arm implant, but the hormones caused cystic acne and irregular bleeding. No problems with the Nuvaring aside from slight weight gain (couple of pounds), which I can live with. My periods have been very regular, no spotting, no mood swings, no change in sex drive. I experienced minimal cramping the first month and continued bloating during my periods. This is a good option for those who have a hard time remembering to take the pill everyday. Once a month is phenomenal!"

KH238 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2016

"I absolutely love the nuva ring and have been using it for one year. I did notice slight mood changes at first, but my moodiness eventually went away. My doctor taught me a great tip for inserting it. If you use a tampon applicator (minus the tampon and replace with the ring) to insert, it works great! It has never fallen out during sex. However, it has to be the plastic kind. Definitely noticed an improvement in my skin as well!"

Foley006 July 19, 2016

"I started the nuvaring almost a month ago and a week in I was very emotional. My boyfriend told me he noticed I acting different and I actually had a break down one night. Lucky for me he also helped me realize it was my bc. I was hoping it would increase my sex drive but it's the same."

Octa July 16, 2016

"I've been on the Nuvaring for 7 years. I got it when I was 18 because I didn't want to take a pill everyday and I was scared the shot would make me gain weight. I love my nuvaring besides the fact that it has killed my sex drive. Thats the only downside I've experienced. So if that doesn't bother you then I highly suggest it. It cleared up my face of acne, I didn't gain any weight, it shortened my period to be about 3 days long and is very light, no extra moodiness or anxiety. The perk of it is you can skip a month in between your periods. I put it in for 3 weeks, take it out and have a period. Then the next month I take it out and put a new one in at the same time on the 4th week. I hope this helps anyone considering it."

jeh1021 July 13, 2016

"Yesterday I stopped using Nuvaring for the 2nd time. The first time I quit I wasn't sure if it was the ring causing my depression or just the things going on in my life at the time. A year later I went back on it because I became more sexually active and I loved not having periods and the clear skin it gave me. The first 2 months it gave me horribly sore boobs, I also noticed I was a little moody but thought it would go away once I regulated after 3 months. 7 months in and I'm a full blown basket case with life ruining depression and anxiety. I'm mad I was on denial that nuvaring was causing it for so long. Do your relationship/mental health a favor, do not use nuvaring. I feel so bad for my boyfriend for putting up with me for so long."

Catwich (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2016

"So I had tried the pill in college which left me 30lbs heavier, fast forward 4 years and I find myself trying to pick out a birth control that wouldn't cause such a dramatic weight gain. I tried Nuva per my OBGYN's suggestion. I really like how easy it is to use. I never had a problem inserting or removing along with no problems during intercourse. My periods were also lighter. Nuva really worked with my schedule.The downfall is that my face broke out with cystic acne (which is extremely painful). My breasts hurt 24/7. I have no sex drive. I constantly feel like I have a UTI or something. My appetite is up and down sometimes I feel sick for no reason. Also I get 1-2 headaches a day since starting nuva."

Madk (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2016