User Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 275 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing

"I’ve been on Nuvaring for about a year and a half and I’ve had virtually no problems. Never had any side effects. No mood swings, weight gain, excessive breakouts, etc. My periods used to be heavy and about 5 days long when I first started using it but now they’re only about 2 1/2 days. The only issue I’ve had is more recently I’ve had a slight problem having the ring stay in place. For a while I never had an issue. Once inserted I never felt it or had a fear of it falling out but within the last 3 months or so I can feel it more and it’s been slipping out slightly which is a definite problem. I’m going to get an IUD placed because I’m over the feeling of insecurity with nuvaring and constantly remembering to take it out and put it in every month but that’s only because my memory sucks. If it wasn’t for that, I’d probably be on it until I decided to have a baby"

Shai (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2019

"I originally had the nexplanon implant. I had been on this birth control for 6 years. After the second renewal expired I decided I wanted a birth control that was not long term. My doctor recommended the NuvaRing. The first week everything was fine. I was starting to like it. I couldn’t feel it and neither could my partner during sex. Week 2 the depression was through the roof. I couldn’t bring myself to get out of bed for work. I ended up missing 2 weeks of work because it had gotten so bad. All in that time I was in the darkest place in my mind. After the first month was up I came to the conclusion that this was not for me. I would not recommend this to anyone."

Sweethope123 May 20, 2019

"So I’ve been on the Nuvaring for 2 months now going on 3. I was on Junel Fe before this and was complaining of severe bloating, weight gain, erratic mood swings, almost complete loss of sex drive, and boy did I eat like a man! I was begging for something different and was nervous to try this but I finally did it and I feel like a new woman! I lost about 8 pounds almost immediately due to my back to normal appetite and my loss of water weight. My bloating has been consolidated to only my period week which I might add I did not get a normal period cycle until trying this. I was a little emotional to start off with it but it quickly subsided along with the very mild nausea. I didn’t get any vaginal infections or irritation, but I do prefer to take it out during sex because I feel it moving around. I also like that I don’t have to take a pill every day. My only complaint is that I am very sleepy all the time. I’m not sure if that’s a side effect of this or just me but I will look into it."

Jillian May 13, 2019

"This is my third month on the NuvaRing. And I have GI issues already, and I’m always feeling bloated. Once I had the ring inserted within the first week I have had TERRIBLE mood swings. I am depressed, anxious, irritable, you name it I feel it. While it’s in, I feel fine and my mood is better, but sometimes there just a switch that turn back on the mood swings and it’s awful. But I hope after the third month things will get better!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2019

"So I started NuvaRing about 6 months ago now, no pregnancies (or scares). I do still get PMS symptoms and I gained a bit of weight - 7 pounds or so - but it’s a small price to pay for not getting pregnant. No mood swings (except for PMS) and my periods only last 3 days when it used to be 7! Overall I’ll stay on it for as long as I need to! Recommend for people who are too lazy to take a pill everyday (like myself)"

It’s great! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2019

"I was on NuvaRing for 3 months and I loved what it did for my mental clarity, but physical side effects were terrible. EXHAUSTION... needing multiple cups of coffee a day. Last straw, my boyfriend had to stop having sex with me because I was so dry! The pain during sex.. NOPE not ok. I have been on Nexplanon (dryness), Chateal for 2 years (amazing sex drive but I was crazy, cramps AND so fatigued I could faint during the day), Aubra for 1.5 years and had constant yeast infections. Then Junel which made me absolutely crazy. Finding what to pair with Ethylin Estrydiaol has been so hard, but I DID! My last attempt has been on Cryselle with norgestrel as the progestational and I feel great, have energy and good sex drive. Also - with NuvaRing I constantly felt like I was going to have a heart attack (twitchy legs, spasms, heart flutter) all this has stopped with the pill Cryselle. Don’t give up on your journey! Find what works"

bcJourney May 2, 2019

"WORST experience- would not recommend NuvaRing to anyone! I’m 31 y/o and haven’t been on BC for about 15 years. This seemed like a great option but it was the worst. I was SO extremely bloated it looked like I was 9 months pregnant. I was only on the ring for 7 days before I had to take it out. Made me incredibly emotional, moody, irritable, crampy and did I mention bloated!? After having it out for a few hours I started to mentally feel better but 15 hours later I still look crazy crazy bloated and my stomach is in a ton of pain. If you retain water or gain weight this will be a nightmare for you."

JJ (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

"The nuvaring was the first form of birth control that I tried. It was great. I had it for about 4 months and no bad side affects! One night I got drunk and had sex and the next day my period started. I was really confused and realized that the ring had fell out!! It was a huge scare but I did not get pregnant thank goodness! After this I decided to switch to an IUD."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2019

"I was taking the pill since I was 16 years old and didn't notice any problems until I was 22. I broke up with my boyfriend back then and I went off the pill. Until then I always thought that I was just naturally a sad, anxious, irritable person. But it was not true, the pill made me that way. After I went off I became a happier person and the smallest things would make me smile. I started a new relationship now. I'm 25. I didn't want to go on the pill again, so I opted for NUVARING and oh boy it was hell on Earth! It was like the pill... but 10 times worst. I would wake up crying before I had any thought that could make me sad. I had no energy or appetite. I felt nauseated and the worst part were the migraines. I have never had so many frequent migraines before. I don't know if everybody will have the same experience as me... but be mindful of the changes in your body and mind while on it."

Sophie (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2019

"I was on the pill for 8 years and went off it for 2 years for a natural life style- holy cow I didn't realize while on that pill how depressed I was and had zero sex drive! Now being 25 and single, I thought I would be more responsible and try the Nuvaring to ease my mind. Being very in-tuned with my body, I knew after 1 month this was NOT for me. I’m very active and eat healthy, so within 1 month I gained 10lbs, got extremely bloated, always constipated and I began feeling extremely unmotivated. My appetite was through the ROOF!! The mood swings were severe too and after just a month I knew I couldn’t put myself through this. I took the Nuvaring out last night and already feel happier 24 hours later. I would rather rely on condoms/my cycle than jeopardize my happiness and health. This forum helped me so much knowing I’m not the only one that had these symptoms. Listen to your body ladies!<3"

Hannah (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2019

"I would not recommend this birth control. I was on the implant for 4 years never even one pregnancy scare. I get on the ring for 4 months and I’m pregnant. Look into something more permanent than this .."

Carissa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2019

"I was on the NuvaRing a year and a half and loved it. I then started noticing increased discharge and the week before I took out the NuvaRing every month I would have intense vaginal burning. I also started experiencing near panic attacks and not sleeping well. I also was having serious pain with sex and dreading having sex. I thought something was wrong with me until I took out the ring and left it out for a month. My mental health made a complete turn around. I was happy. No anxiety. Interested in sex again and no more burning. I decided to put the ring in again three days ago. I have had no energy and such bad anxiety I can’t get out of my bed. I have also been so nauseated I thought I was pregnant. I’m insanely bloated and have gained 3 pounds in 3 days despite eating healthy and working out. As soon as I realized what was causing it I took that ring out. I am not a fan of any birth control but also don’t want to get pregnant yet. Condoms it will be!"

Nuvauser (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2019

"I was on the Nuvaring for about two years and I absolutely loved it the whole time I was on it! I found it extremely convenient and it was super easy to skip periods/plan my periods around any vacations. I did experience more discharge than usual, however no weight gain. The only downside, which is the reason I actually got off of it, was that I realized the Nuvaring was the source of my anxiety. I had really bad anxiety and was super emotional while I was on it but I honestly just didn’t connect the two until recently. I got off of it and within the month I felt my anxiety go away and in more control of my emotions. I’m trying out pills now, but I am sad due to how convenient the ring was, if it wasn’t for the anxiety I would still be using it! I know not everyone experiences this though so I would recommend to still try it out! Maybe it’ll work better for you!"

Emily (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2019

"I had a horrible experience with the nuvaring. I developed debilitating anxiety and OCD while on it. It took a mental breakdown for me to evaluate what could possibly be the cause of my mental instability. Once I took the ring out, I was my old self again in 2 weeks. I still struggle with OCD, just not as severely. Unfortunately, however, I believe the nuvaring did some permanent damage. What I hope for all of you reading, is to remember to listen to your body! You know when something is wrong. Don't ignore it like I did until you go into crisis."

Niki (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2019

"Lord .....where do I start. I’ll preface by saying this my 2nd month of being on the Nuvaring. The anxiety; the insomnia; the stomach bloating and added love handles. The damn constipation and gas— OMG!!!! Emotions through the roof; paranoia and the CRAMPING and leg pain. WHAT IN THE WORLD????"

E~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2019

"I started the NuvaRing about 10 years ago (I am 27) after the old OrthoEvra patch created a horrible adhesive allergy. I leave it in for 4 weeks then replace immediately to skip my periods, though I do take a break week about once a year. I've been on hormonal BC continuously for 13 years so I can't say whether it affects my weight/mood/sex drive/etc., because I have nothing to compare it to. At first I had issues with physically keeping the ring in place, but I think my vaginal muscles adapted. I have no complaints other than I am prone to yeast infections due to being on a daily maintenance antibiotic, and the ring can be a bit irritating when things are already inflamed. I forget to put it back in sometimes and it takes about two days for that to make my period try to start. No major side effects+I've never gotten pregnant so 10/10"

Tkzinn7 (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2019

"I loved Nuvaring as birth control at first, far easier to remember than the pill and super effective. HOWEVER it made me depressed, lazy, gave me a foggy brain, moody and this caused many hardships in my personal relationships. I closed myself off from the world and thought I might be suffering from depression. Once I had enough, I decided to see if it was my nuvaring so I took it out and switched to IUD. Within weeks I feel like myself again!! I am happy, super productive, love socializing again and no longer moody. Would not recommend the nuvaring to anyone. I suffered with the mood side effects and used nuva ring for two years and yet no doctor ever told me that it was an even a possibility thats why I was feeling so horrible. I'd also like to add it also caused a lot of inflammation and made sex very uncomfortable to me to the point I'd be crying."

tmaes (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2019

"I started taking birth control pills for acne when I was 13, (now 19) and I absolutely loved them (ortho tri cyclen) Until one day, I started mid cycle spotting. Flash forward a year and I’m still spotting after trying multiple pills. I sat on google for hours reading reviews and was basically terrified to try this birth control. As soon as I started nuvaring, I had zero spotting! Pros: no break through bleeding, no headaches, I’m not pregnant, ring is comfortable & very easy to use. Cons: or side effects are nausea is pretty bad especially the first 3 days of a new ring, I have NO sex drive, literally none, if there was a negative sex drive I’m pretty sure I’d have it, & my vagina is so irritated. If you are looking for a low maintenance birth control this might be for you! I am still on the ring but because I’m so over not having a sex drive, I’m going to try switching to something else. Otherwise I love this form of birth control, I just wish it increased libido."

Nuvaring Review (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2019

"I had Nuvaring inserted for maybe 48 hours when I started noticing some extra side effects my doctor did NOT tell me about. I was only told my sex drive would be lower and I might gain weight which I was ok with. But I wake up one morning feeling extremely nauseous which isn’t new but it usually goes away after a half hour of being up. Not this time. I couldn’t leave my bed because my stomach cramps were so awful, I couldn’t hold anything down, not water, crackers, broth. I had two awful anxiety attacks, thank goodness my roommate was home because if you know anything about anxiety attacks, you know how scary they can be. I finally realized after 11pm that day “OH maybe it’s the nuva ring!” I took that thing out so fast and less than two hours later the cramping, vomiting, and extreme anxiety attacks stopped. Obviously birth control effects women in different ways but after that awful experience I would never look back to the ring again."

kiki (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

"I have been using Nuva ring for about 13 years now. I took a break 10 years ago when I decided to have a baby. I previously used other BC but the Nuvaring has work the best on my body than other BC. I have only experienced a small percent of low sex drive but nothing major. I am extremely content with this birth control for the reason of my monthly menstrual cramps reducing."

Roxy (taken for 10 years or more) March 11, 2019

"First let me just say, Nuvaring was horrible experience for me. I've only been with this BC for two weeks, first day spotting which is normal from what the doctor said, 4 days in blood clots, tiny blood clots , acne depression and anger issues. I literally bled for two weeks straight took it out today because I had the worse backache ever I couldn't even breathe I was waking up everyday at 4:30 am not sleepy at all made me so hungry I was working out every day all of a sudden I started using this and I went from working out hardly ever, fighting with my boyfriend had vivid dreams just horrible dreams. One day I had a sharp cramp in my stomach that it literally went to my heart and I felt that , this was horrible and I have decided to not use birth control just condoms. But this was horrible.."

Meli (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2019

"I loved NuvaRing... until it caused a cerebral blood clot and stroke (CVST). A headache for days, memory problems, speech like word soup, ten days in the hospital, one in ICU, no emotion. I didn't know who my husband was. Doctors put me on blood thinners and rehab therapy. Six weeks later I went back to work. Three months and multiple blood tests later, my doctors ruled out any hereditary causes for my stroke and attributed it to hormones in NuvaRing. I can never use birth control with estrogen again, and any pregnancies will be high risk. I have recovered, but nothing will take away the emotional trauma that I and my family experienced. My husband still breaks down in tears over how close I was to being permanently disabled or dying. Please. If you are using or considering using NuvaRing, talk to your doctor about the risks. Not everyone using NuvaRing will experience what I did, but be informed. I DO NOT recommend NuvaRing."

Toast128 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2019

"As a 37-year-old woman getting back on BC for the first time in 10 years, I was suggested NuvaRing. I explained to my doctor that I am EASILY affected by hormones and I had already tried every type of BC out there. Still, I was told NuvaRing was the answer. Wrong! I've never had acne in my life - not through puberty, not through any of my pregnancies, etc. After 4 months of NuvaRing, I have acne like a 15 yr old just starting puberty, I've gained about 15-20 lbs in 4 months, & my appetite is off the charts. Ever since starting NuvaRing, I'm hungry all day, every day. Sometimes at 3am I'll be awake (insomnia is another side-effect for me) and I'll just want to eat - completely uncharacteristic for me. Irritability and motivation decrease are also present. I just took it out for the last time yesterday and I'm praying this gets out of my system very quickly. I feel fat and gross and unmotivated. I need my old self back with a quickness!"

Victoria February 25, 2019

"I have been using nuvaring for approx 8ish months. I had used it for a month previously a couple of years ago but after a depression scare on the pill any mood swing scared me off. This past 8 months have been great, some weight gain and a little more grumpy but overall worth it. Periods have shortened slightly and cramping lessened a bit. Only issues is increase in discharge and inflammation which can hurt during intercourse. For these two reasons I'm going to try out the implanon, but if that doesn't work out I'm definitely going back onto the nuvaring unless I choose something else."

Jay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2019

"I started nuvaring 8 months ago after being on 3 different IUD's the past 17 years. At first I loved it. It did make my vagina swell the first week, but it wasn’t irritating or a problem. Periods are kind of all over the place, & cramping is worst than ever before. Had me laying with a heating pad 3 out of the 5 days. After 8 months I have gained 16 pounds and my anxiety and depression is through the roof. I had 3 panic attacks in the past 2 weeks & it is definitely from this birth control. On a positive note my cystic acne completely went away and my skin is for the most part really clear. Also-I have not gotten pregnant. I would recommend this product but to pay close attention to your mental health. If you feel anxiety & depression coming on you need to stop using it & contact your doctor. I’ve also had brief suicidal thoughts. I stopped taking this & am trying the mini pill. Wish me luck. I am writing my review because I feel birth control side effects are extremely under reported."

Sam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2019