User Reviews for NuvaRing

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

"This is my third month on NuvaRing and first time ever being in birth control and haven’t had any major side effects. The first month I felt slightly nauseous the second and third day of being on the ring. Other than that it’s been great! I take the ring out and two days later I have my period. No spotting or breast tenderness. So far I’ve had a great experience."

redapples (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Nuvaring since May and I love it. It regulated my periods after Depo made me bleed for 6 months. I get a little breast tenderness, but nothing that doesn't happen during a normal monthly cycle, without birth control. I still want to switch to something more long term, but if it doesn't work, I'll be back to the Nuvaring."

Kajay1215 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve used Nuva Ring 3 Times now. I planned both of my children around it and took it out about 3 months before trying and had no problems conceiving. I never had weight gain or mood changes. I recommended it to everyone. I loved it. So naturally, as I just finished nursing my 2nd, I went back on it. This passed month has been a nightmare. I’ve been depressed, and honestly just plain crazy. Mad at my husband for no reason and no sex drive. There was a week I couldn’t fall asleep until 2am-5am. Maybe my hormones have changed after having my son, but I will definitely be looking into something else."

AB87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm really happy with the NuvaRing. I used to get awful PMS, terrible cramps, and ovarian cysts that would land me in the hospital. I used to think it was my Crohn's flaring, but by the time I got to the hospital-I would get my period. The pain was so severe. My periods were never regular since I was 14: I'm 28 now. I would get so emotional, moody, and scared all the time, because I never knew when it was coming. After coming across a fantastic OBGYN, she decided to put me on the ring. It's great! My periods are REGULAR. I did gain a little weight, but I figure its normal because of the hormones. It's a little tricky to get inside-patience is key. I'd like to go on a hormonal IUD, but this is working so well. I'm afraid to try anything else"

Mercy7889 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’m only on my third week of using NuvaRing. It’s great not having to take a pill, I haven’t taken it out yet to switch so we’ll see how that goes. My mental processes have been completely wack since I’ve began using NuvaRing. I have no patience for anything anymore, I get so irritable and fight to keep it inside, it’s been affecting those around me with my negativity. Prior to this I was overly positive, people would ask me how I smiled so much. Now I fight to smile. My anxiety is so high I lay awake at night and can’t get my mind off it. No sex drive anymore and I can feel things with my boyfriend changing due to my irritability, anxiety, and no sex drive. I’d like to stick it out to see if this works but I don’t know if I can handle this"

Anonymous November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've used the ring for about 4 months & I can't wait to get rid of it. I have a very hard time removing the ring. I can never find it right away & I can barely reach it or grasp it to pull it out. I feel as if although it isn't supposed to go up into your cervix, mine is very difficult to find & is very weirdly far up there & to me this isn't normal. I freak out every time I have to remove it & I usually end up in a panic & bleeding. I also feel like it increases my anxiety & depression a ton! Especially the first few days after inserting. The only positive thing I have to say is that it is convenient to not take a pill every day. Otherwise, I will never be using it again."

Jsjxnwlshwbau November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish I could say I had a good experience with the nuva ring but I didn't. I was one of the unlucky ones who suffered through very severe symptoms the entire time. I had severe cramping/abdominal pain for the entirety of the time I was using the ring. They were so bad that I took time off from work because I could not stand up. I bled almost constantly the entire time, and it was very heavy spotting, heavier than I had ever had from a period before using the ring. I bled heavily during and after intercourse. After the cramps became unbearable and I could not stand bleeding as heavily as I was I decided to come off nuva ring. It took my body seven months to stop bleeding heavily. I had heavy periods for two weeks at a time as my body readjusted. And even now my periods last longer than they did before using the ring. I also have spotting in between periods, and I never had spotting before using the ring. I'm starting a new birth control, and I'm hoping my body goes back to normal soon."

xxRJxx November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on the nuvaring for 3 months and have had a great experience. For the first month I did have more mood swings and increased anxiety/depression, however I was in a bad situation so I think it just amplified it. Since then my body has adjusted and now my mental state is back where it was before. It can be tricky to insert but got better after some practice. I love not having to remember to take a pill every day, and although I get a bit of spotting before my period I do have a lighter flow and for only 4 days instead of 7. I don't have hormonal breakouts before my period and haven't had any issues with leaving it in during sex."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've read many saying they have had a hard time with nuvaring under 3 months then stopped. It takes 3 months for the body to adjust I was told. So I kept using it and by the 4th month no mood swings or side effects. It's been a year and a half now I've had no break outs, no unnatural mood changes, a lighter menstruation but my drive has had decreased some that could be not being as active (busy life). I've gain no weight related to the ring and seen no weight change the 1st year on it. I too have a history of depression for those that have a issue with birth control due to it. But like I've mention the first 3 months will effect your mood it's up to you if long term is worth it."

Nycring (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"NuvaRing did do what is was supposed to which was prevent pregnancy. I personally liked the pill better than the ring. I was on NuvaRing for about 3 months and had to stop taking it because of the ridiculous mood swings I was having. I’ve always had heavy and long periods that last about 8 days but the NuvaRing seemed to extend them even longer, to about 10-12 days but they were lighter. It also seemed to increase cramping which was something I never had problems with before but it wasn’t unbearable. Only issue was the mood swings that drove me absolutely insane lol. I wouldn’t say it’s the worst BC, but I definitely feel that there are better options. I guess it just wasn’t for me, but everyone reacts differently."

Anonymous123098 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on it for 8 years after two years of taking the pill. Honestly the best thing ever! I've had no side effects or weight gain (a part from the natural small weight gain with age). I have recommended it to many people over the years and many friends who have now been on it for years as well."

BPNE October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love it! I have been on it for 4 months now without any complications (yet)! I have even skipped my period for one month without any spots or irregular blood saying hi. I don't feel it during sex and my partner haven't felt it either. I used to be on the Pill before and the transition was quite easy. The only thing that annoyed me was that I got quite a few pimples the first month, but it got under control using good products and trying not to eat too much dairy products. My skin is back to normal now. It feels so good not to think about remembering the pill every day! Its just every 3 week! I have an app on my phone to remind me when to take out."

VickyLeaks95 October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nuva ring has done its purpose in a very effective way to prevent pregnancy considering it prevents without having to remember to take it everyday. However, I have been over come with horrible anxiety. Anxiety has always been a problem for me but I was always able to manage with therapy and medicine for almost 5 years now. 2 months on the Nuva ring and I feel crazy. I'm paranoid, constantly making up scenarios and pretty much convincing myself they are true and not to mention I feel helpless. I am not a cryer but I cry everyday now. I'm also tired constantly and have experienced pretty intense headaches and a lower sex drive. My friends and family have told me as well that I seem off. I took it out today in hopes of getting better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this for three months but had to stop. Reasons I didn't like it: My partner could feel it EVERY time we had sex. Stinging during and after sex. My boobs were always sore and heavy. Headaches. Bloated constantly. Itching. Depression. Anxiety. When the anxiety got so bad that I couldn't sleep at night I took it out and felt much better within 2 days. Wish it would have worked for me because I don't like taking a pill everyday."

nothanks331 October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The Nuvaring personally helped me because I was on the depo shot for about 7 months and I gained so much weight and constantly wanted to eat. Once I got off of the shot I decided I’d try the ring because someone I knew has been on it for years. Once I got on it, I started seeing progress after working out and dieting . It does decrease your sex drive but I don’t really care"

Anonymous1234567654 October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The Nuva ring is awesome For me. I can control my periods. I haven’t gain a massive amount of weight. I’ve been on it for 4 months now. Only Con: it’s a bit uncomfortable during the beginning of intercourse. But the pain leaves after a few minutes(really minor discomfort)"

Ds1022 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay so I used NV when I was a late teen with no complications whatsoever. I'm 32 year old now and just recently started back on it again after my c-section. This has been the worst birth control experience of my life. I've used it for 3 weeks and ended up with horrible headaches, extreme cramping in my stomach for a week now non stop, feeling delusional and very irritable with no sex drive what so ever when before taking this I've always had a very high sex drive. I've been breastfeeding and flow isn't all that good anymore, but worst of all, I have found myself so hard on myself and so depressed and its been beyond my control. Felt like I needed to seek help. After reading about side effects I have figured out where the problem was coming from. No more NV 4 me."

Cococat24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I enjoy this birth control. I was apprehensive to using it because of the reviews, but it's kind of luck when it comes to taking any form of birth control. I went with nuvaring because my my mom used it and said she had no side effects. A bit of background info: we both suffer from severe depression. I've been using it for two months. There are only a few effects I've experienced: breast growth, a few weeks light period, increase in sex drive, maybe motion sickness. The long period comes from me trying to cheat the system and insert it early to end my period on the 4th week, which is safe. I think all it did was slow it down. With the motion sickness, I don't know if it's the BC, but I experience car sickness when I drive now."

alexho October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Do not use this form of birth control! I have had it for 2 months and I’ve taken it out after a week each time due to increased blood pressure, anxiety, depression, and insomnia. I’ve been on the pill and had depo no issues in the past. Worst form of birth control I’ve experienced. Save yourself the trouble and DO NOT USE THIS!"

KatieR90 October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has been a horrific 3 months for me. Let me start by saying I have gained about 15 lbs in 3 months and my breasts have grown 2 cup sizes. They are tender, to the point where hugging my boyfriend hurts. I am extremely athletic and just couldn't understand why suddenly I couldn't work-out. I have no energy, I've been drinking triple the amount of caffeine that I usually do. My biggest change was a COMPLETE loss in my sex drive. I've barely touched my boyfriend in 3 months. I am moody, emotional, feel drained all the time and literally hate myself. I read all these reviews, ran to the bathroom and took it out! I do not recommend this to anyone!"

RMona (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After my second baby, I was having problems with pain during sex (9 months to a year post partum). My doctor prescribed the nuvaring to treat that issue as well as provide some birth control. The first two weeks I had this in were a dream! No side effects, nothing negative. After that I was so nauseous I was constantly taking zofran and reglan and could barely function. After 6 weeks I had lost 10 pounds and decided to take it out. I wish it wouldn't have been so bad or I would have stuck it out."

IJCE307 September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had severe headache and mood swings elevated high blood pressure..so much pain. In my ovaries. I'm over 43. Doctor recommended birth control because I deal with hormone changes every month my body breaks down. Specially before my menstrual cycle. I was diagnosed with PMDD and severe blood clots every month. My daughter deals with it and now, I'm afraid for my granddaughter. I'm close to have cancer for 3rd time. Whatever you decide what kind of birth control you will use. Do if blood work first before you start using birth control...make sure you're healthy before you'd use the birth control it might cause defect in your body. In the future."

Over 43 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The worst thing I could have ever put in my body. Nuvaring made me so nauseated I was throwing up for 2 weeks straight. If you have a small cervix this is not for you the damn thing is like the size of my uterus. i literally had to have my boyfriend put it in for me because my fingers were too short. This also caused irritation to my inner labia upon insertion and if u have nails you will end up cutting yourself down there. I took it out after 3 weeks of absolute hell. It was unmanageable "

Curlygirly (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The nuvaring has been OK for me with the exception of making me feel like I have an UTI on and off. It has dramatically increased vaginal discharged and causes some itchiness. I think this is what leads to the bladder irritation that feels like a UTI. I've also gotten some headaches and noticed some bloating around my abdomen. All in all I am probably going off of the ring. I'm scared of any birth control at this point. They all have side effects."

Rose nyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great birth control that was easy convenient. All I did was just put it in for three weeks, forget about it, and then take it out after the three weeks is up. Sometimes I would have to take it out during sex, although other than that I did not experience any discomfort or it slipping out. This birth control did not make me gain any weight except for my boobs. I did experience vaginal dryness and extreme decrease in my sex drive, which really made sex unpleasurable at times. This birth control made me extremely tired all the time. I would just sleep for hours on and had little to no energy. I am currently off this bc due to that side effect. Caused me to have cystic acne after 5 months."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2017