User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 259 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

"I had high hopes for this birth control. Heard a lot of great things... And then I tried it myself. 17 days is all I have lasted. Today is Day 17. I'm 37. I already have issues with depression and acne and have heard good things from other's who had normally suffered from these things and that the ring changed their life. Well, Day 17 and I can't stop crying. I've been beyond depressed in weird stages. I've had a headache that has lasted over a week. And I have a handful of new cystic acne in weird places beyond my face. Placement was fine and I rarely felt it. Can't wear tampons with it. Not weird during sex either, except I haven't had an orgasm for two weeks! And this is my experience... Good luck, I know everyone is different...."

Wasn't for Me (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This method is great for those who forget or don't like to take pills. However, it may completely eliminate your sex drive. I don't think about it, I don't dream about it. My husband is hot and I just look at him like "what do you want for dinner?" I had a pretty high libido before Nuva ring. Anyway, these drugs effect people differently so just know This is a possibility."

Ali904 June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this birth control. I don't really have any issues with it except if I try to skip my period when I haven't done that in a while. Just be consistent with it. Fantastic."

SexyButterfly June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First couple days it worked out okay, I had a headache here or there and was pretty moody but other than that it was okay. I loved not having to remember a pill every day and I couldn't feel it at first. However around day 4 on it I got a yeast infection from hell. Before the Nuvaring I only had one yeast infection in my whole life and Monistat cleared it up without a problem. I used Monistat to treat the one I got from the Nuvaring and it itched like crazy and felt like I had pepper sprayed my own vagina.. needless to say I'm switching back to the pill."

lacy_22 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Nuvaring since I was 15, now I am 24 and I've only been on Nuvaring. I've enjoyed this product BUT I can say it has changed my mood and I have no sex drive. I've been with my boyfriend for 8 years and I just get angry at him for no reason. For years I thought I was mentally ill but I have finally realized it's my Nuvaring. Most people post on here have recently started using it, of almost 10 years of using this I can say it's a love/hate relationship. Pros: It does its job! Cons: Mood swings, headaches, and no sex drive. I am looking into nexplanon, but scared to turn out into a crazed fiend and put more strain on my relationship. I've been irregular all my life so I don't know with a new bc."

Almost 10 years on Nuvaring (taken for 10 years or more) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the pill before Nuva Ring and the pill made me moody and cry a lot. I'm definitely not one to be emotional. So I tried Nuva Ring now 8 months later I still love it. I really like that I can put it in and forget it for a month. I can skip periods if I want. Although I've found I can 2 months without a period but then I have to do the period thing so I don't get breakthrough bleeding. I'm also very much in control if I decided one day I didn't want it anymore I'd just take it out. I haven't had any weight gain. When I do get my period it's short and light. The only con I had was I lost sex drive for about 5 months. It's returned though so I'm happy. Everyone is different but I'd highly suggest giving Nuva Ring a try!"

Yup87 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Inserting and retrieving the nuva ring takes some getting used to but after a few tries, you'll get the hang of it. The side effects, however, were so overwhelming I stopped using the nuva ring after 2 months. The positives were I didn't have to think about it everyday and normally I have acne but on nuva ring I didn't experience break outs. The negatives were my mood. I was irritable, depressed and cranky after about a week on the ring. Generally I'm mild tempered, sweet and forgiving. Not on nuva ring. I was overly emotional; crying, yelling, grumpy, annoyed. It was affecting my quality of life so I removed it. I've been off of it for over a week now and feel like my goofy playful self again. I'll never go back. Its not worth it."

Not Worth It (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Some of you females here are so uneducated about the NuvaRing. It effects people differently. Don't fear another female from getting contraceptive just because you didn't know how to take care of yourself. - You take it out before having sex. That way it is not irritating you when you have sex. - you insert the ring so that it loops around your cervix. That way it doesn't fall out. -your mood swings can be managed with other medication. Learn to calm down & not respond. -Everyone has had acne. My review. I'm naturally a bitchy person who lacks emotion. I had no issue properly inserting the ring. I also downloaded an app reminder. I feel more happy & personable. I maybe losing weight also. I feel secure having an easy form of bc."

Annie G. (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having irregular periods when I started taking other medicine and sometimes I wouldn't have a period or I would bleed for 7-10 days. My doctor suggested I try birth control and after hearing all the options I chose the Nuvaring. I am glad that I did. Since starting, my cycle has been like clock work. I put the Nuvaring in for 3 weeks, remove and few days later my period starts. When I put it back in the next week my period stops. I love it and although I don't really need it for birth control it is a great way to make your irregular cycles regular again."

Monae Miller (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please keep in mind when reading these reviews that every person is different and every experience with medication is unique. I have been on Nuvaring for a little over 1 year. I loved it for the convenience of not needing to remember to take a pill daily. However, I did notice the "belly bloat" about 6-7 months into taking it. I was almost concerned I was pregnant. I have always been lean, and I'm in my mid 20s. My weight and size are fairly consistent. Now, I'm at 12 months in (definitely not pregnant by the way) and I finally am noticing an overall weight gain in addition to my belly bloat. Total, about 10-15 lbs. I loved this method but my self confidence is suffering, so I am stopping (and hoping I see a change, as I am very active!)."

Mel0913 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"To make this review easy I'll share a list of the Pros and Cons that I have experienced on the NuvaRing while being on it for 5 years. Pros: very light periods with minimal cramping (although I am lucky enough that my periods beforehand were already pretty light but my cramps were horrible), super easy to use, can skip your period if you want to, insurance covered it, you barely know it's in there, can take it out for up to 3 hours while having sex. Cons: ZERO sex drive, moodiness, constant bloating, constant tiredness, cravings, weight gain, my vagina has actual become swollen after sex, sometimes painful sex. Everyone is different but the cons are outweighing the pros for me at this point so I am looking for a different option immediately"

Anonymous May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bilateral Pulmonary Emboli directly due to Nuvaring use. Misdiagnosed by first couple physicians and sent directly to ER after another physician recognized the signs of a potential blood clot. I was extremely active, had a great career, and never thought something like this would happen to me. I really liked the Nuvaring for a variety of reasons, but nothing is worth dying for. This came very close to killing me and I had to make big changes to my life after my blood clots. Weigh Risks and Benefits with more than 1 physician, and look for alternatives!!!"

LiveRKW (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So far so good. It has been about three weeks. Only real symptoms have been a decrease libido and weight loss (I've been eating the same amounts/foods and haven't increased exercise but have lost 2-3 pounds)"

M138 May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I decided to take the nuvaring because I'm an insane freak on the pill. At first I did notice being moody, crying, along with some weird discharge or itching down there. But after a week the it subsided. My moods are now normal. I barely feel it inside. My boob size definitely has increased and my weight is still fine in fact the 5lbs I put on I definitely needed. It's only the first month of use so I definitely have to wait and see how it goes but overall I do love it. I absolutely hated the pill and how it made me feel and the Nuvaring is nothing like that."

GiGi6777 May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried all a few different birth controls that were available to me. I did not have many options being as I am anemic and bled alot during my menstrual cycle. I ended up pregnant on a few methods. My doctor recommended nuvaring. It was fairly new. I had a few mood swings, which was different than my regular monthly moodiness. I am doing pretty good on it since 2002. I had a few kids since then. All I did was leave it out and two months later we were expecting. Regulated my cycles, hormones.. Really feel in control of my body. And comfortable with myself. Recently recommended it to my adult daughter. Hope it helps her she has had problems with other methods also."

Just a momma May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on it four weeks. Like the option to skip a menstrual cycle. My experience so,far is good. I decided to skip my cycle last week just to see how it would feel. Didn't miss it one bit. Love that option. Didn't miss the maxi pads or the mess a cycle can leave in my underwear. I have an increased sex drive too. Think, I might even skip my cycle during the summer unless my GYN decides things need to come out after my ordeal three weeks ago."

Ohioteddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I stopped taking birth control pills because of the hassle of remembering to take them. My doctor recommended Nuvaring due to the convenience of using it and being a busy college student. However, two months after using it I had MAJOR abdominal cramps to the point where I couldn't walk. Turns out I had endometriosis and had to have surgery, it was not Nuvaring's fault. I was instructed to switch it out every 3 weeks instead of 4 to skip my periods; however, I have yet skipped a period and it has been 3 months since my surgery. I bleed for 2-3 weeks every time. I am switching birth controls to something more stronger since that is what my doctor recommended. Other than that, no other side effects at all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had severe cramping on my first day and Googled only to discover I wasn't alone. It felt like the worst period cramps ever & I'm no wimp...two healthy boys of my own. Some reviews said 9 months later!! One woman said it was a daily experience and had to take pain killers!! I didn't hestitate. Out it went and instant relief. I do not recommend this method at all."

Aeevjobb May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on nuvaring for about 2 years now and I recommend it to all my friends. I didn't experience any mood swings or weight gain. But my boobs went up a cup size. It's super easy to put in and take out and I never forget to take it because it's already there! 3 weeks and then out one week for a period and then repeat. It sometimes falls out from sex but you have 3 hours to put it back in. My boyfriend doesn't feel it at all. You should definitely try it. Nothing but great results for me."

Tinafey34 April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was so excited for this birth control and now I can't wait to get it out of my system. Only 2 weeks in and already have a yeast infection, major anxiety, feeling depressed and a loss of sex drive.... I'm miserable and can literally cry at any moment. I will never try this again."

ScrewNuvaRing (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First 2 weeks emotionally draining. Uncontrollable mood swings. Breast enlargement, up two cup sizes. Bloating. Weight gain. Nightmares. Cravings. Going on my third week, crazy mood swings have stopped, still up two cup sizes, bloating is going down, no weight gain. Nightmares rare. No cravings. I eat healthy and exercise daily. So the bloating is frustrating but I see it lessens as days pass. The mood swings were scary but it started the first week and it's over now. Thank God. I keep in mind it's a big hormonal change for my body and I'm hopeful the side effects completely stop when my body gets used to it. I'm giving it 2 mths."

Vreynolds (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Nuvaring for approximately 2 years now. I like that it regulates my menstrual cycle, it's comfortable once it's inserted. I occasionally have it slip it out but not a lot. It stays in tact during intercourse, my partner doesn't feel it and effective. There is also an app to use to help you keep up with when it is time to insert it and take it out. The app also helps me know when my period is coming."

Allykee April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is only my 3rd week with the Nuvaring, but I like it very much! I seem to have all of the good side-effects and none of the bad ones. I find it does not make me emotional, which was my major problem with the pill. It has made my skin very clear and acne free and my breasts are bigger. I did notice that my vagina smelled a bit odd the first 3 days, but I think my body just had to get used to something new. I had bad experiences with the pill, the Mirena IUD and the copper IUD so I am very happy to now have something that works."

LadyLady5678 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took the pill last year & stopped it because I was emotional all the time & felt like I had put on weight from it. I decided to try the nuvaring even tho I knew it had the same hormones. It was 10x worse than the pill. I was an emotional wreck, extremely tired all the time, & always hungry. Not to mention it was scary taking it out the first time. I tend to be nervous about doing something like that but it was just awful. I don't recommend this. & I'm never getting back on it."

Nicoles454 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on the NuvaRing for almost 4 years with very few issues. I've never had a pregnancy scare but have had a few issues with bleeding/spotting in between periods especially if I leave the ring in for 4 weeks and try to skip my period. Now I follow the 28 day cycle (leave it in for 3 weeks, take it out for 1 week then put a new one in) and have no issues. I have never had issues with mood swings, weight gain etc. If you pay attention and use the ring in the way that's best with your body (leaving it in and skipping your period or taking it out and having your period) you shouldn't have any issues."

MorgsJaee April 5, 2017