User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

"I originally started taking this years ago and couldn't make it through the first 2 months due to the side effects. Mood swings, depression, low sex drive, etc. I decided to try this again after 4 months of being married to my husband. The first month was terrible. I was sick to my stomach every single day. I didn't want to get out of bed and was almost in a state of depression. Month two has been better as far as nausea, but I have NO SEX DRIVE. It's already put a strain on my marriage. I'm emotional, anything can make me cry, and I continue to have frequent mood swings. I took it out a couple days ago because it was time and I doubt that I'll put it back in. I'm a newlywed and I'm supposed to be having lots of sex and be happy!"

Love4days (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

"I've got one word that pains me to say...ACNE! I thought my acne subsided for good by senior year of high school but I'm now 21 and experiencing major cystic acne again. And the beginning of the flare ups were about 1 month in to starting the nuvaring. This alone makes me want to get off it, but I've also expirienced a definite emotional bump lately and I've been extremely lethargic. It's a shame too, because it was really convienient for me to use."

Deanna96 January 15, 2017

"So a lot of people only write about their poor experiences but let me tell you about my good experience. First if all, I got put on Nuvaring after I got pregnant while ON the pill (Saffryl- probably spelled it wrong) despite me taking it for two years at the same time daily, and taking OTHER measures to prevent me getting pregnant. It was with twins, too. I went to planned parenthood for an obgyn appointment because the local obgyn was booked out for over 6 months when it came time for me to start birth control again. They gave me THREE Nuvarings for FREE. I didn't even ask for them for free, I was willing to pay for the script at my pharmacy. And ever since, they've been a wonderful alternative to the pill. Don't let cost deter you."

Brijayne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2017

"Pros: pop it in, wait three weeks, pop it out. replace right away to skip a period (this never really worked for me, but I could stretch it out some if there was a date I wanted to skip. I could never convince my body to skip a whole month. My periods were much lighter and shorter on NR which was nice. 3-4 days usually, medium to light flow. Cons: NO Libido.. which I guess is what really makes this work, I did not want sex from my husband. I could do the deed, but there was no passion like before. Sex became completely irrelevant for me. I basically formed an indifferent opinion of my husband. I took a break for a month or two to see if I felt more like myself, and I did, but I also ended up pregnant with baby number 3, whoops."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

"I was on the Nuvaring for 6 years. When I first started it, I had the typical headaches and nauseous feeling that's normal when starting BC. Over the course of those 6 years, I began having mild depression, and lost my enthusiasm for life or anything really. I would have sharp and intense pains in my lower abdomen area (uterus/ovaries) which at some points had my bent over in pain. On 2 ocasions that I can recall, I had very irregular and very heavy bleeding, which is very unusual for myself, especially because both times the bleeding lasted nearly a month. When I finally got fed up enough with Nuvaring and took it out for good I was bleeding extremely heavily for 2-3 weeks straight after my regular period. Within 2 days bleeding was done."

TabJ January 2, 2017

"After being on Depo Provera for five years, I decided to try the Nuvaring. After having my second and last child, I went back to the Nuvaring. I love not remembering taking a pill daily and the ability to skip periods (there is still a chance of breakthrough bleeding, but it is light). I am diabetic, so the amount of estrogen in contraceptives is a concern; the Nuvaring has 15 micrograms which is lower than many OC's (besides Lo Loestrin Fe which has 10). Unlike OC and POP, weight is not a factor with effectiveness. At first, the side effects I experienced were breast tenderness and vaginal irritation. The side effects went away after the second month. I had to get used to the insertion, but now it is no problem."

Mbpeaceful12 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2016

"I have been on the combo type of birth control since I was 16. I started with the ortho lo (the basic one in movies in the round case), Yaz came out and I switched to that, I was so tired of remembering to take a pill everyday, during my yearly pap my OBGYN told me about the patch I used it for a few years and I never gained weight on the pill or ring but for some reason the patch did make me gain some weight, I was always worried I put in the wrong spot and it wasn't going to work, taking it off weekly hurt like an extra strong bandaid and left purple gluey sticky stuff I had to scrub off with alcohol. After those years I was put on the ring. My weight went back to normal, I have no pain, Insert 3 weeks, period, insert again. So easy! Love it!"

Fresy (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2016

"I began Nuvaring in July and omg I wish I haven't. I've been depressed ever since I started, nausea every once in a while but literally crying my eyes out every single day. I've thought to seek help, I've never experienced depression this bad or these thoughts before... thought I was just unhappy and idk what told me to check these reviews but I'm glad I did and I can't relate more. Took out my nuvaring last night... I'm done, "

Julia p m December 26, 2016

"I started using the Nuva Ring in Apr. 2016. My doctor recommended it because I randomly began to have a very abnormal menstural cycle and the cramps became excruciating. Almost as soon as I started NR, I began to have spurts of VERY sharp pains all throughout the day. They were so bad that sometimes I would find myself hunched over. My doctor and I assumed my body was just adjusting to the NR. These pains went on for about a month and then everything ceased. From that point on everything as far as pain, and the regulation of my menstural cycle was fine. I really loved the convenience of NR. I stopped using NR in Dec 2016. I stopped using it because I noticed that during the months of usage, I experienced extreme depression,& mood swings."

Majorkierra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2016

"After hearing a lot of good things about Nuvaring I've decided to give it a try. At first I have to say I absolutely loved it. No side effects, easy to use and helped with period pain. Now I am 4 months in and I lost appetite (which all in all is not a bad thing), I have terrible mood swings and got extremely teary and depressed. I cry approx 70% of the day. I constantly feel very sad and poorly, lost my enthusiasm for life and feel worthless, hopeless. Last time I felt this way was 16 years ago when I was on the pill, I stopped it immediately after I have realised I was capable of harming myself. I've only today stopped NR and hopefully will start feeling better soon."

kksx (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

"Was on Nuvaring twice. Long story but I don't remember the first time and it was also a short period of time. The last time I was on it for about a week when my hands started breaking out in a weird rash and I felt odd. My doc thinks I was allergic to something in it so I took it out and my hands went back to normal right away. Odd reaction."

nckhella (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

"The only good thing about Nuvaring was it's ease of use. Everything else about it was a nightmare! I had horrible mood swings, and it made my anxiety and depression so much worse. I would lash out at people for no reason, and I had one night where I was so emotionally distraught that I physically could not stop crying! It also made me very nauseous and throw up quite a lot. Needless to say, I'm back on the pill now and I have no side effects."

Sid226 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

"I'm four days days in, and the mood swings are terrible. I have no history of depression or mood swings. Two days after starting I began feeling anxious and depressed. Ease of use is great, I have had no cramps, bloating, or break outs. I can't feel the ring when it's in and it doesn't fall out. I recommend if you want to try the ring, it may work well for some, but keep an eye on your emotions and call your doctor if something feels out of place. Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed that your mood changes! BC messes with your hormone levels and it is better to let a doctor know than to suffer unnecessarily. May be great for some, but this BC is not for me."

lconv (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

"I loved this birth control at first. My insurance covered it at zero dollars out of pocket, I only had to think about it twice a month, and I never had a problem with intercourse or vaginal irritation. After four months however, I don't know why, but I changed. It started when I cried after sex and freaked my significant other out. It was the first time I had ever cried in front of him, but for the next three or four weeks all I would do was cry and sleep when I was around him. I got more depressed than I ever had in my life (I've struggled for years, but this was different) and I was nauseous after every time I ate, so I just stopped eating. The depression and decreased libido were the main things I couldn't stand, so I got off it after six months."

Brookie123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2016

"I had it in for 2 months. Got hot flashes panic attacks and insomnia. Took it out, got migraines, hot flashes anxiety and irregular periods. My advice take the pill. It's annoying but it's a better method."

Onomatopoeia (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2016

"Tried it for about 9 months, easy in use but I don't think the amount of hormones that ends up in your body is any less than on the pill, not symptom wise at least. It works fine in general but if you have a sensitivity to hormonal bc don't expect it to be much better than other methods! I experienced a dramatic drop in libido and this was ultimately the main reason for me to stop but there were other side effects as nausea, some weight gain and it really irritated my urinary tract in the beginning too. I have switched to non hormonal bc now."

zsoph (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

"I started using NR because oral contraceptives made me extremely nauseous so my dr suggested skipping the GI tract all together. I'm on birth control and also take metformin to help manage the symptoms of my PCOS. I had chronic sharp pains in my abdomen for years and the NR has been the first thing to help. I can't explain how thankful I am to not feel like I'm being stabbed from the inside everyday. That being said, NR has given me extreme mood swings and depression and also very low libido. I find myself not being able to feel any emotion but anger. I took the ring out because I would rather deal with the physical pain than the psychology pain. Back to the drawing board for me."

Ashely Karin December 10, 2016

"The first day I put the ring in, I had extremely bad cramps. I thought it was normal due to the fact that it was new. These cramps were followed by such severe abdominal pain I was not able to walk or drive for a period of time. Shortly after, I began having pain in my leg that would not go away. I have been on the ring a month now and my LEG PAIN is still there. I have serious feelings of depression, no appetite, nausea after eating, and NO ENERGY! I can barely make it 6 hours into the day before I need to lie down. After reading about the life threatening blood clots the leg pain may lead to, I decided to take it out. Although it works, it is not worth the pain."

case1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

"Has anyone on here tried Nuvaring and had an extremely poor experience? I was looking for new BC and my doctor recommended Nuvaring. NEVER AGAIN. EVER. I have only had it in for two days and have felt very nauseous, extremely tired, dizzy, angry, depressed, and have had a terrible headache and cramping. I've been so dizzy and my stomach has hurt so bad I couldn't even get out of bed. As soon as I put it in I immediately felt different and in the most awful way. I just took it out and I'm throwing the rest away. Like I said, never again. I've heard some people have great experiences with it, but that certainly wasn't mine. I just want to feel normal again and hopefully will soon. Anyone else experience symptoms like this while using it?"

E$ December 1, 2016

"So I switched from the pill which was great aside from having to remember to take it. The NR isn't terrible but I will be switching back cause out how broken out its caused my face to be (i never, aside from the day my period starts, get breakouts) I don't like how much it has increased my discharge or the feel of it rubbing during intercouse. I was hoping this would help with decreasing the emotional effects that I was having with the pill but only a month in and it's the same. Also it wraps around my cervix making it very aggravating to remove or check its position."

Wahwah (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

"Terrible mood swings, cramps all month long, constantly bloated, made my periods way worse, and there was an irritating discharge. Never again. I'd rather have to remember to use the pill every day. Plus, doctors have told my friends that haven't had kids yet they can't use it, and I can't find any information as to why."

Jessde November 25, 2016

"I started NuvaRing at 13 to regulate my heavy periods. I'm 23 now, still on it and love it. Here's the basics: -Never falls out, can't feel it at all (unless it's not put in right or if you have a wider/tilted uterus) -Husband is large and can't stand it, so I put it back in after intimacy. -If I forget/lose it, I just put a new one in for 3 more weeks (skip a period, whoop!) -I have never refridgerated mine, the teens don't need to see that in there lol -no cramps, bloating, acne, weight gain, etc. (I eat a lot so i'm not gonna blame my anti-baby meds for my own bad habits) -no mood swings, sex drive hasn't changed, periods are lighter/are over quicker than before. -no insurance? Forget it. These freaking things are $150 a pop."

CarolineLove15 November 22, 2016

"So I read alot of bad reviews on it, knowing that people only write reviews if they have bad experiences. Well I decided to take a shot at it. I am a week since first putting it in. I am having a lot of discharge, and my vagina is really raw. My boyfriend can feel it during sex, and it burns his penis. I am not having any depression, but I am super irritable, and have mood swings. I wouldn't say don't try it, but it isn't for everyone."

Dhjdbsjdbsifbdj November 22, 2016

"MAKE SURE YOU ARE AWARE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE NUVARING IF USING FOR THE 1ST TIME. My Dr didn't give me much info other than the brochure and I wasn't prepared for the roller coaster 5 days I had (yep that's all I lasted). Nauseous, sweaty, extremely tired, lethargic, unhappy, starving then not hungry at all, cramps, itchiness, headaches, dehydrated, fuzzy head, cough, teary EXTREMELY teary, anxious, nervous, irritable.. you name it I had it! After a very scary panic attack driving home from work I ripped it out and will not try it again. two days later I feel myself again after using the pill for 14 years I'm not new to hormonal BC and I would not recommend this to anyone I know. it was extremely scary becoming a crazy person!"

ashhhhau (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

"I started using the NuvaRing right after my wedding about two months ago. I was looking for a better alternative than the pill. But since then, my moods have drastically changed. I feel like I'm always angry and I can't even stand my husband sometimes. My husband and friends tell me they've notice a huge change in my mood. I have very little tolerance and will go 0 to 100 real quick!! I'll cry over anything and I just can't stand myself sometimes. I have not gained any weight and it has not affected intercourse but it may cost me my relationship. Definitely switching back to the pill. My friends are also on the Ring and have no complaints...so it may depend."

anonymous0104 November 17, 2016