User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 250 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

"I was put on Nuvaring after trying several different pills that didn't work for me (weight gain, irritability, headaches) and the Nuvaring has been amazing! I did gain about 5-10 pounds and my boobs got bigger, but it was worth it because I didn't have many other side effects. The first month I cramped a bit, but it gets better! To insert the ring, I take out the cotton from a tampon and put the Nuvaring in the tampon applicator and insert it that way and it's so much easier than trying to manipulate the ring with your hands. I recommend the Nuvaring to all of my friends that are miserable on the pill"

olive12344 March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on this Birth Control for about 2 years, I just recently stopped it in the middle of my 3 week cycle of it (I got my period 2 days after I took it out so beware). When I first started this I felt anxious a lot and always moody, definitely didn't have any libido what so ever. Also I gained so much weight, and I exercise and ate pretty decent where I shouldn't gain 30lbs all together. When it was about a year into the ring I gained about 15lbs then I stopped it for 2 months lost a few pounds easy and then put myself back on it and gained 30lbs. I really don't like it and don't plan to go back on it....it's funny when I stopped I lost 5lbs the next day."

Nuva Ring (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was put on the Nuvaring for a dual purpose; birth control & ensuring I have a cycle since I normally don't (PCOS). The first few months were ok. I noticed a little lethargy and some mood swings, but not bad. However, by about month 6, I had two yeast infections that I couldn't cure. I also noticed that I was quicker to anger & mildly depressed. Started having Migraines and sharp pains in my abdomen. Complete loss of libido hit me about month 7, and that's when I decided to quit. Left it out for 2 months, decided to give it another try. Went into the deepest, darkest depression of my life. Went to see my therapist, upon finding out I was on the ring she said it's known to cause it. Took it out, in one day felt tons better. Never again!!"

Faith35 March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"In the past year, I've tried 7 different birth controls. Pills, patches...you name it, I've been on it. I've never had any true issues with any weight gain on BC, but I am very prone to yeast infections. I got them almost every other week. After switching to the ring, I haven't had any and it's been FANTASTIC! I'd definitely recommend this!"

WindyBee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Honestly, it is a pretty effective birth control but it does have some nasty side effects. I've been using it for over 6 months and have had no pregnancy scares. After reading reviews I asked my husband if thought I have been depressed since I started taking it and he said yes without hesitation. So that is definitely a downside to the Nuvaring. The biggest issue for me is that I've probably gained 40 lbs since I started and I've been the same weight for years. I have stretch marks all over my body. It is so awful. I knew weight gain was possible but this has been the worst side effect for me. As nice as it is to not have to think about birth control more than once a month, I am going to stop. I don't want to keep gaining weight like this"

Jenibeni March 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've tried the nuva ring before 5yrs ago before I had my daughter then after having her I got the implanon in my arm. I had so many complications with that so I switched back to the nuva ring after being off of it for a whole year. I didn't have any problem with the nuva ring when I used it before but... the second time is killing me! I have severe headaches, breast tenderness, and I'm tired all the time. My periods are heavy and my cramps are unbearable but my periods are shorter. I like it cause of the fact that you put it in and forget it , take it out and have your period, put it back in and repeat. I just can't take all the side effects I want to get rid of it but it's the only one that works for me as far a convince at this time."

Nena Vanee February 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Giving it two stars because it does serve its purpose- birth control. But it's so not worth the side effects I had for the first week after putting it in place. I had horrifying dreams on the 3rd night and woke up in terror. I was mostly depressed and hated people around me. I was easily irritated by small things. I was negative and wanted to be alone. After noticing the change in my mood I took it out five days later. Just in half a day, I have noticeable improvement in my mood. I wanted to be around my friends again. I'm happier. I wouldn't recommend this form of birth control to any of my friend."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I thought since I had such a horrible experience I would write a review. So I did give it a 2 out of ten just because I didn't get pregnant an entire year on this medicine, so it is technically effective and also is convenient. But the side effects were just not worth it. I literally turned into a crazy person. No libido. I was so unbelievably depressed for months and it came on slowly so I didn't really notice how bad it was until I hit rock bottom. I would cry for hours about nothing. I almost broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years because I was so depressed and I didn't understand why I was so unhappy. Bad experience for me. Not worth it, in my opinion but everyone is different !"

ab7094 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My doc prescribed Nuvaring because I would like to use something that does not give me a stomach ache and also simple to use. So at the 5 days, I felt the happiest woman ever. I consider myself a very happy person but after 10 days using it, It's been a daily conflict within myself. I feel sad, lonely, hopeless, worthless, and ugly. I also gain some weight. Yesterday I finally take of it. I hope I feel better very soon. I DO NOT RECOMMEND"

Superti (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started the Nuvaring about two weeks ago. And for the first couple of days I felt nothing. I loved it and thought it was going to be a smooth experience. Well I was wrong. I soon begin to once in a while feel headaches and lots of tiredness. Then I did not feel myself at all. I felt like I had no feelings whatsoever to anyone at all. It was making me not even want to have sex at all so what was the point of even getting on it?? Even my mom and boyfriend said I didn't seem myself. I was super moody and kind of depressed. I took the ring out last night and I already feel better and back to my happy self. Do not recommend"

anothergirl February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am on day 4 of using the Nuvaring and I am ready to take it out. It has caused me severe anxiety, mood swings, uncontrollable crying, severe panic attacks. It is awful! 10/10 DO NOT RECOMMEND"

Rachellynnnnnnnnn February 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I switched to nuvaring 4 yeas ago from orthotricyclen. I've had absolutely no side effects, and it's the easiest form of birth control I've ever taken. My periods are lighter is the only thing I've noticed. It's unfortunate that I'm seeing so many bad experiences on here - I honestly recommend it to all my girlfriends."

Magpie3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This is the best method for me! Regulates my period and I don't have severe menstrual cramps. It does come out sometimes during sex but you can leave it out up to 3 hours which is a plus. It's very effective!!!"

Anonymous February 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"At first, I was on Tri-Lo-Sprintec. I took those pills for a month but was advised by my gyn to switch bc because I started to get blurred vision and migraine headaches. I switched to the nuvaring and have been using it for a week and I am already noticing side effects. First, while I am not feeling depressed or anxious, I have noticed that I am a little more easily angered. The smallest things have been getting under my skin. The side effect I notice is lack of appetite. I have always LOVED food and this week even the thought of food is blah. I'll get hungry but after a few spoonfuls, I am unable to eat anymore. Its early to really know how I feel about the nuvaring but I will definitely give updates!"

Sirrah1 February 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"In was prescribed Nuvaring because I wasn't sure if I was ready for an IUD yet so my doctor thought Nuvaring would be a good alternative. The only positive experience I had was putting it in. Easy. Didn't have to think about it anymore. Until about 24 hours later. All of a sudden a ton of symptoms hit me at once. Complete loss of appetite. Nausea. Vomiting. Pain in my legs. Pain in my abdomen. Headaches. Dizziness. Vision changes. Turns out, I'm allergic to Nuvaring. I immediately took it out; over a month later and I'm still having some symptoms. Definitely make sure you read the possible side effects before using the ring, even if you've taken birth control before!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on Nuvaring for about 6 months now Pros: Convenient, easy to remember (hormones can last up to 5wks) not a lot of breast tenderness, breasts got bigger, no TERRIBLE mood swings (much less than when I was on Trinessa/Glidess.. but still a little more moody than usual), didn't get pregnant Cons: INSANE mood swings during PMS, I've gained about 15 pounds without any change in exercise/diet and I've stayed between 110-115 my entire life (I'm now 130??), was convinced I had an STD because I was getting UTIs after intercourse (I don't), sometimes its hard to put in, has fallen out a couple of times. I like it, but it's not great and I cannot stand the weight gain. Will be switching to the skyla IUD"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I used nearing for about 5 weeks. I loved it for the first 2 weeks then my guy started to notice a big change in my moods. I was very depressed , anxious and I cried all the time..not to mention the lack of libido sucks. My friends also noticed a big change in my moods.. I took stopped using it a few hours ago and I feel a bit calmer already...."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had an almost entirely positive experience. It regulated my periods and made them short and light, cleared up my acne, and has effectively prevented pregnancy. Only 2 drawbacks have been frequent headaches and daily discharge (inconvenient, but not a huge deal). The monthly schedule is super convenient and I've never had an issue with it falling out or my boyfriend feeling it. I'm trying out a new birth control to try and get the headaches under control, but if I don't respond well to it, I'm happy to go back to Nuvaring and Advil. I'd recommend it to anyone."

Ses1991 January 23, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"POSITIVE REVIEW - I have been on the Nuvaring for 2 months – the only side effect has been increase of breast size, I am trying to persevere with it and do a lot of exercise so I don’t increase weight and hopefully maintain my breast size and I will take St John Worts if I feel a bit moody. The Nuvaring is great – 3 weeks in, 1 week out for your period and then the next cycle begins. If your partner can feel the ring while intercourse you can take it out for maximum 3 hours and then insert straight after. I know everyone is different but the Nuvaring is a low dosage of hormones and it is really working for me. So if you don’t want to worry every month if you are pregnant I recommend Nuvaring. It has been great for me."

RoseAustralia91 January 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had a good experience on this birth control. Honestly I was terrible at taking a pill everyday. So I switched to this after a year on birth control pills. Its convent. Unnoticeable. You don't feel it, neither my partner noticed it, only of a few occasions. No mood issues. No unusual bleeding issues. No gain weight or anything honestly medically concerning. Would recommended it to my friends as it was to me. Only thing I would say is its tricky to insert but it loosens up. You can remove it during intercourse too. I tried that and honestly now I just leave it in."

Anonymous January 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am a 21 year old female and I used nuvaring for 2 months but it was affecting my moods (making me really depressed and unmotivated) and I couldn't take it anymore. I tried it again a few months later hoping it would be different but I spotted for the whole month, I got acne, and my moods took a dip again. I had it for a month but have since switched to Skyla"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I switched to the NR in September of 2014 because I was constantly bleeding with my pills. I loved it! I did have mood swings right before my period and possible drop in libido, but I'm not sure if it was from the NR or due to stress. I recently have to stop NR due to it falling out. I started a new ring a week ago & could not get it to stay in place, never has this happen before. I went to the doctor and they had not explaination, so they started me on some pills. They said I could possibly try again in a month & I will. NR is not cheap, but the company does have a coupon you can use. If I can use it again I would."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was on Nuvaring for just over a year. On September 15, 2016 I was admitted to the hospital for a blood clot in my leg. I do not smoke nor did I do anything to injure myself for this clot to appear. It went to my lung as well. My doctor immediately told me to discontinue the Nuvaring. And I can no longer take anything with hormones in it. Fast forward to the beginning of November, I discovered a lump in my breast. After ultrasounds and mammograms and surgical biopsy, On December 8, 2016, at 34 years old, I was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma, a type of breast cancer. Just saw my primary doctor today (01/18/2017). She believes the blood clots and the cancer are all related to the Nuvaring. Breast cancer does not run in my family."

Dream51782 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I originally started taking this years ago and couldn't make it through the first 2 months due to the side effects. Mood swings, depression, low sex drive, etc. I decided to try this again after 4 months of being married to my husband. The first month was terrible. I was sick to my stomach every single day. I didn't want to get out of bed and was almost in a state of depression. Month two has been better as far as nausea, but I have NO SEX DRIVE. It's already put a strain on my marriage. I'm emotional, anything can make me cry, and I continue to have frequent mood swings. I took it out a couple days ago because it was time and I doubt that I'll put it back in. I'm a newlywed and I'm supposed to be having lots of sex and be happy!"

Love4days (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've got one word that pains me to say...ACNE! I thought my acne subsided for good by senior year of high school but I'm now 21 and experiencing major cystic acne again. And the beginning of the flare ups were about 1 month in to starting the nuvaring. This alone makes me want to get off it, but I've also expirienced a definite emotional bump lately and I've been extremely lethargic. It's a shame too, because it was really convienient for me to use."

Deanna96 January 15, 2017