User Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control (Page 2)

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing

Jade February 5, 2020

“I LOVE my nuvaring. I have been on it for close to two years and I did not experience any side effects; my periods were shorter and lighter; and it’s effective.”

Active teen · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2020

“My periods used to be seven days and are now 2/3. I don't bleed nearly as much and I get It at the exact time and date every month. I use it perfectly and never worry about pregnancy. I'm so happy I switched from the pill to the RING! I am a little bit more emotional but it was good for me since I didn't feel a lot before.”

Concerned father · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“Horrible for my daughter. Went to the ER with shortness of breath, primary care was worried about blood cloting, had massive increase in anxiety & stress. Most miserable experience for all involved.”

sarah January 25, 2020

“I read A LOT of terrible reviews & was extremely hesitant to put my Nuvaring in; decided to try anyway & am super glad I did. The 1st 2 days I felt a little muted emotion-wise but after that totally normal. No weird feelings or anxiety or depression (which was my main fear/no go) no irritation, no loss of sex drive. Actually I feel like my hormones finally balanced out. My son was born 3 & 1/2 years ago and I still didn’t feel quite normal. I’m so happy that I ignored the bad reviews and tried it for myself. People usually post about their negative experiences, rarely their positive ones; so I have made it a point to post mine. I for real feel better and happier than I have since before my son was born; like the ring balanced my wild uncontrolled hormones and put them in check. Keep in mind my ring has only been in for 1 week so I will post later about the long term. FYI I cannot feel it during sex unless I’m on top (my mans very well endowed) and then very rarely. He says he can never feel it.”

D January 18, 2020

“I will say, the only good thing about the nuvaring is that is has effectively prevented pregnancy. My fiancé and I don’t have a hard time getting pregnant, so I tried the IUD and my body rejected it. My OBGYN recommended the nuvaring. I’ve been using it for 10 months and I am done. My depression has gotten worse, I had to start antidepressants. My anxiety is through the roof. I always have headaches and I’m so angry all of the time. It’s either I’m mad or crying. I don’t like this feeling. I do not like the nuvaring. I’m also sensitive to medications and it could be the hormones, but still. Not a great experience.”

Me January 15, 2020

“Day 1. Age 41. Nuvaring was easy to put in I must say I felt kinda high off it but I haven’t taken birth control in over 12 years. 1st the feeling was good after I got the ring adjusted so it didn’t hurt. Day 1 at night I couldn’t sleep tried kept waking up legs hurting and the discharge was more then expected. Day 2 I took a nap in the day for 2 hours & removed it. Best sleep I had yet. Put it back in went back to sleep for another 2 hours. Woke up with leg pain again & shortness of breath. I kept going & kept it in. Started to burn down there & I chalked it up to the amazing sex I had a day before I put this in & figured it was from the condom use. Wrong. Next night still couldn’t sleep leg pain. So I removed it while watching a 45 minute movie to see if the leg pain went away. The burning did not go away! I tried putting it back in and it started really burning and itching! Leg pain, burning and lack of sleep also felt depressed as well which I chalked up as lack of sleep but now not sure. I am done”

jazz January 10, 2020

“I've been on this birth control for several years and had no problem until this year. My body went crazy. I was bleeding randomly and sometimes I would bleed for 3 weeks straight. So I took a break from the Nueva Ring for 3 months and saw a gynecologist. She did a yearly exam on me and I expressed to her what was going on. She checked EVERYTHING and said I was completely healthy that I probably needed a break from the Nueva Ring. After she said that, I went back on it and now my depression is 10 times worse and I’m super emotional. My friends and family can tell the difference. At this point I’m done with birth control. I wish there was a birth control that didn’t have so much hormones but the only one is the IUD and you can’t have that unless you’ve had kids.”

Abby · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 7, 2020

“Like a lot of other people on here, I didn’t get any side effects until a long time (4 years) on Nuva Ring. I’ve taken this since high school through college, and for the first 3 years never had an issue with sex drive or weight. Without changing my environment or diet, I gained 30 lbs over the last year. I also had no interest in sex whatsoever during this time- would have sex once, MAYBE twice a month. Sometimes not at all. This is compared to my partner and my previous ~2 times a week. I’m not sure what happened last year, but the side effects sucked. I stopped using Nuva Ring on my last cycle. I’ve only been off it for a few weeks, but I’ve already lost some weight and have returned to a normal sex drive. I’m sad to conclude that these, while they may not have been caused by Nuva Ring, were worsened. This was my favorite birth control, but I’m now going to be looking into a copper iud.”

SallyS · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

“I am a 18 year old who was relatively healthy before starting the Nuvaring.( I had the Nexplanon before I started the ring) I kept the ring in literally for 2 weeks, and I will have to say that this experience has changed my whole view of birth control. I immediately experienced depression and anxiety both of which I’ve never had a history with. My legs would swell up, I felt dizzy and I had pains in my chest. I had been to the doctors three times in the past two weeks because of these things and I could quite put my finger on why it was happening until recently. I also never thought that vaginal dryness would ever be and issue with me but it was. My sex drive completely disappeared. My body immediately hated this birth control and I am still suffering from the effects of it a week later. Please look at all possible risk and side effects for this birth control before taking it because if I had known I would have steered clear of it.”

Lanie Beth · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

“This was one of my last options for managing my periods. I was so hopeful. Initially it was fine, but I took it out and threw it away after only 5 days. It itches like crazy and when I took it out to rinse it, there was disgusting discharge. I can’t sleep because it itches so much.”

Loveisart · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 14, 2019

“I've been on the nuvo ring for about 7yrs now! It's been great up until this last year I've experienced constant cramping outside of my period all day everyday. I suffer from constipation and credited my pain to constipation cramps until I realised there was times I'd have the pain with normal bowels. I recently took my nuva ring out to check and each time I felt better....finally I came to some extreme clarity when I had an intense day of pain and finally called my doctor told me to take out my nuvo ring and haven't put it back since. I've been pain free now 2 days and I'm still in shock at the level of relief. I gave this drug 5 stars because although I'm suffering now it has worked extremely well for my PCOS bleeding etc etc and I've maintained healthy haemoglobin levels since being on. Contraceptive pills made me nuts and the IUD kept falling out this was a life saver I'll sadly need to move on”

Katie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2019

“I have been on the nuvaring for about 7 months. I have had a good experience so far. My doctor told me to do three consecutive rings in a row for 4 weeks each time. So I go 12 weeks then have a period. This is because I have endometriosis and had too many side effects on the endo medication (visanne). The first 3 month block I had spotting the entire third month. Now I make it through all 3 rings without spotting and get my period on day 1-2 off the ring. I have depression and anxiety (which I’m on medication for) and haven’t noticed any increase in symptoms. I don’t feel sad or angry like a lot of people here mention. The only side effects I’ve really noticed are increased discharge (it’s thin/watery and doesn’t really bother me) and a slightly decreased sex drive. Nothing crazy or enough to make me want to switch birth control!”

Zil · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2019

“After one week of being on the nuvaring, I got into a deep depression. It all started with my temper becoming shorter and shorter. Then on the 7th day, I started to fall into a deep depression like never before. I would fall asleep crying and woke up crying. I took it out that same day and went to see my physician”

CRod December 7, 2019

“This is my last round of the ring after over 12 years of using Nuvaring. I can recall the first few months of using it having depression. After that subsided, I noticed my bad acne had completely gone away but also my sex drive as well. I was told by my doctor to continue to use it if it works well for me in other ways. Fast forward to now, I’ve had an insanely difficult time losing weight. And it’s now come down to the possibility that it’s the nuvaring. While it wasn’t the cause of my weight gain, I’m strongly wondering if it’s the cause of my weight loss resistance. I’ve been consistently working out plus diet only to lose a few pounds here and there. I’ve tried so many diet lifestyles and would stick with it for several months to no avail. So now after much contemplation, it is now time to do without the nuvaring. And it would be nice to have a sex drive again! And it will be interesting to see how much it affected me in other ways that I hadn’t noticed.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

“Today is my 5th and final day on Nuvaring. 5 days in and I already have been experiencing crazy anxiety, numbness and pain in legs at night, weird chest pains. No thanks. My body is sensitive to medicine but I figured it would adjust. But I honestly couldn’t continue because the anxiety was too much. I’ve had anxiety for years but have NEVER had a full blown panic attack until this medication. My legs feel fatigued and I have an overall feeling of uneasiness. Also sex drive is literally in the negative. Just took it out and I don’t intend to ever put one in my body again. Like everyone on this page has said - listen to your body!”

Rue 13 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 27, 2019

“I wanted this to work so so bad . Tried several times . Each time severe depression and soul crushing sadness with lots of UTI symptoms and kidney pain as well . Along with the higher blood clot risk I can’t recommend this to anyone other than I did not get pregnant with it”

Rhm · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

“I’ve been using the Nuvaring for 2 and a half weeks and I already had to take it out due to the extreme mood swings. I’ve cried every single day with it in. If you suffer from depression and anxiety please think twice because it worsens it. I’ve also experienced itchiness and feeling swollen. I was really hopeful that this could be the BC for me but it’s not.”

bananapie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 23, 2019

“(21 yr old) I've had the NuvaRing in for almost a year now and I'm taking it out. The first few months I loved it because I had minimal side-effects so I thought my body needed some time to adjust but it's gotten worse. I'm moodier, have low motivation, ZERO sex drive (I used to have such a high sex drive, now sex is repulsive). Constant debilitating cramps and bloating, headaches, chest pain, depression and anxiety. I've also gained about 10 lbs recently despite eating the same. The heavy discharge I can handle with some pantiliners but sometimes there's a strong, horrible scent. I've always had heavy periods and cramping (lasting 7-8 days) but now it lasts about 14 days. I've never been able to skip my period on this because I bleed when the ring is still in, it just gets heavier on the day I'm supposed to take it out. I liked the ease but it's taken a toll on my body, mental health, and life. I wish I had taken it out sooner.”

BB8 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 23, 2019

“I was interested in the NuvaRing as it is low hormone and you do not have to worry about taking a pill at the same time every day. I wanted something less permanent than an IUD as well. I do think it is effective in preventing pregnancy but the lack of sex drive makes it useless to use for me! I also felt so numb while using it, yet would have random bursts of anger and lash out at those around me. I do have a history of depression and anxiety so I am not sure if this decided to escalate that. Overall, everyone has different reactions to BC so it still wouldn’t hurt to try. Just know that if you feel like you are having insane emotional rage, then it is probably the NuvaRing and not you! You aren’t going crazy! Really wished this one worked for me as it is pretty convenient to use.”

Shae12 November 21, 2019

“I was 20 when I got on the Nuvaring. I wanted it because my periods were very intense and had a terrible time taking the pill because I was very busy and my schedule varied. The first 3 months I was so sick to my stomach and then after that I was fine! (So I felt.) My husband and I were thinking about having children when I was about 23 years old (2018) And I was doing research and learned the Nuva Ring actually stops ovulation. Most BC methods don’t even let you ovulate so that “fake little period” is not you being regulated. I immediately quit taking it in Feb of 2018. I did not get a period until July of that year and I bled into august. Then I started bleeding again in September and bled another 30 days before having to get progesterone pills to stop the bleeding. I would only have 3 more periods between December and May of 2019. I finally was able to conceive in July of 2019 after actively trying 8 months but we would have tried longer had I been getting my cycles!”

kb91294 November 19, 2019

“I’ve been on NuvaRing for around 10 months. At first, I loved the ring. It stopped my heavy periods and intense cramping, was easy to put in/take out, and easy to remember. But a couple of months ago I started having more extreme anxiety than I have ever experienced. I have always dealt with some anxiety when my life gets more stressful than usual, but not like this. I just haven’t been myself. I find myself on edge 90% of the time and anxious about everything and nothing at the same time. I’ve also started to get migraines and have no motivation to do anything, and I’m tired all the time. Nothing seemed to help any of my symptoms. Then I got a really bad yeast infection- it would not go away. I finally decided I would rather have heavy and painful periods once a month than feel like this all the time. I took it out around 14 hrs ago and can tell you that I already feel a difference. I’m not 100% back to being myself yet, but I definitely feel better than I had.”

A O November 12, 2019

“I was recommended the NuvaRing from a friend, and I have been on it since the beginning of August (so 4 months). At first it felt fine, no noticeable side effects. My skin looked really good, which was a huge plus for me. But then I started noticing a general malaise. A deep sadness and anxiety that would wake me up every single morning around 4/5 am, and a sadness that would linger throughout the day. I attributed this again to stress (job change, applying to grad school, long distance relationship). But I felt really different. I started to feel like my personality was shifting, like all my happiness and joy completely disappeared and I was becoming a shell of a former self). I've been extremely stressed and depressed before, but this is a whole new level of feeling anxious. Crying at the smallest things, feeling so sensitive to anything. Of course it could just be stress, but how can you differentiate between what is real and what is hormonal? You start to go crazy!”

Abcd November 9, 2019

“I have been on many different pills, 2 different IUD’s, the depo shot and then the ring. The ring by far was the worst. I had side effects with all forms of birth control, usually to do with unusual bleeding or inconsistent periods. The nuva ring was the only birth control I could find that controlled my periods. Unfortunately it also caused acne, weight gain despite feeling nauseous all the time and having no appetite. NO sex drive, and I was so anxious and emotional that I thought I was going crazy. I was on the ring for almost 2 years, with all of these side effects which I did not realized were being caused by it. When I finally realized this may be why this is happening I took it out, and I feel so much better now.”

Leigh November 5, 2019

“I have been on the Nuvaring for about 2.5 months at this point, the 1st month was fine but my boyfriend and I couldn't have sex because I was in so much pain even a slight touch to my vagina set me into shooting pain. Once I hit the 2 month mark the pain started to subside and we are able to have sex again but not often because if there is too much irritation to the area I will be in pain again. The side effects I have noticed is lack of sleep and overall exhaustion, decreased hunger, constant nausea, cramping most of the month, acne, weight gain, bloating and mood swings. I have also noticed that my discharge has become 3x more prominent and that it is a different odor from anything I have ever smelled before (gross). I have been very sad the last month and I am keeping track of all these side effects. However, if they do not subside or stop within another 2 months I will be going off of it.”

Ccg18 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2019

“I started to use Nuva ring in June, everything seemed fine nothing hurt it’s really low maintenance and my partner was ok with it during sex as well. I never took out my Nuva ring on the 3rd week just because I hated my period so I would keep it on for 4 weeks and then just change it. I did notice my mood swings get worse . Anyways fast forward into 3 month with having it and then all of a sudden I started to spot/ break through and I was like okay maybe this will last about a week. Well NOPE I’ve been spotting for almost 3 months straight and I’m so tired and overwhelmed already”