User Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control (Page 6)

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing

Soccermom · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2019

“I have been on the NuvarRing for a little over 5 months. I started it to help my heavy periods but the longer I go the more I am wondering how much the side effects are bothering me and from the ring. I’ve read other comments and like a lot of others I have gained a ton of weight and can eat like a man as someone said. I’m always tired and definitely have mood swings. I don’t have much of a period anymore but I have spotting literally everyday so I still have to wear a tampon which my doctor keeps saying will stop but I don’t know. My headaches have definitely gotten worse as well. It’s a high price to pay to not have a period and I think I’m going to take it out and see if I feel better. My periods mess with my body as well but not like this!”

Svit · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

“I lost weight switching to NuvRring from Seasonale. With Seasonale, I gained 15lbs (no change in diet or exercise) & going off of it, I lost a good amount of it. I also had bad abdominal pain while on the pill, but with Nuvaring I do not. This may be because I wasn’t taking the pill at the same time every day & would frequently miss days. I have endometriosis and consistency is important with hormonal pills. Nuvaring is great for me because I don’t need to remember to take it. I downloaded the App and it reminds me of the exact date and time that I need to switch it. I haven’t had any side effects either. I am glad to have switched. It’s been around 4-5 months.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2019

“Hadn’t been on birth control since my IUD was removed 11 years ago. I’ve been on the NuvaRing for 3 months now, and already been to ER for chest pain, MRI for headaches, & waiting 3 months for a GI appointment. EKG results were fine so they suggested it was my esophagus. Never had so much abdominal discomfort in my life. I’ve gained over 20 lbs and no matter what or how much I eat, I feel like I’m going to explode and I burp like crazy. Can’t take a brisk walk much less run anymore. Coincidence or not, my body changed from one day to another, and it was around the same time I started on this.”

Sophie June 8, 2019

“NuvaRing caused anxiety and depression for me. After 3 years of the ring, I was experiencing severe anxiety and feelings of loneliness, restlessness, irritability, fatigue, sadness and I could not understand where it was coming from. After putting the two and two together, I removed the ring and within 24 hours that awful fog lifted and I'm back to myself again. I think NuvaRing is a super alternative to the conventional pill but please watch out for signs of anxiety and/or depression. The different after I took it out was shocking and I really wish that I had been told this could happen. I hate to think how many women are suffering from this debilitating mental health issue without realising that it is their contraception. In terms of application, wear and comfort, the NuvaRing is easy, convenient and overall great. It is easy to apply and causes no problems whatsoever, it has never dislodged or caused discomfort.”

Momof2 June 7, 2019

“So I’ve been nuvaring for about 2 months now after having my little girl in March. This birth control has given me so many symptoms, I’m going crazy! Nausea, Increased appetite, cramps, headaches, and mood swings! I have to apologize to my husband when he gets home from work tonight because I’ve been being SO mean to him and I know he’s wondering what the hell is going on! This is my first time being on birth control in 5 years & I absolutely hate it. Even growing up my body hated birth control & I always advocated against it. I let my dr. talk me into not getting my tubes tied because I have 2 kids and I’m only 27. But I KNOW we don’t want more kids, I’m content with my 2 and we plan to adopt a child when they’re older. I’m scheduled for a consultation in 2 weeks for tubal litigation and I’m going through with it. This experience with nuvaring has been the worst! I’m not compromising my well being for birth control when I know I’m physically done having babies.”

... · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2019

“Prevented pregnancy but I had to stop wearing it because my period, usually light before using nuvaring, were now very heavy, painful, and big clots with TISSUE in them. Actual, pink, internal tissue. Not my thing........”

Tiffany Wireman May 28, 2019

“I was on the nuvaring for four years and six months. No periods after two years of being on it. No break outs. No nothing. After the fourth year, I noticed my face was becoming extremely broken out. My blood pressure was getting worse, I am still on medication. I did not have blood pressure issues before the nuvaring. My blood pressure issues started during my fourth year of using it. I gained weight like crazy. My depression was horrible. I had awful nightmares. I could never sleep peacefully at night. My body always ached. Keep in mind, I never had bad migraines or headaches until being on the nuvaring for so long. They would be so bad, I would vomit profusely. I would stay so tired. My body was literally attacking itself and the nuvaring. My appetite was like a man's appetite. I could never stop eating. Let's talk about the sex. I never had sex. I hated looking at a man. Or even thought of sex. My libido was gone. So my OBGYN finally said enough is enough.”

Bri · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2019

“I started Nuvaring about 5-6 months ago. It started out great because I LOVED not having to remember it every single day. I didn't notice the subtle changes, which makes me disappointed. Side note: my medicine is delivered and nuvaring had to be refrigerated. The postal carrier kept refusing to deliver it if no one was home and would never try to redeliver. The last time my postal carrier refused to deliver, I came off of it completely - and I'm SO glad I did. I thought that I'd been moody due to recent life changes and all. I had no sex drive, I was angry all the time, I was constantly depressed, and my anxiety was through the roof. After the initial "ring free week", everything started getting clearer and clearer every day. It was INSANE. The part that sucked was not being told by anyone that I was becoming more irritable every month. Definitely not birth control for me...”

Shai · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 23, 2019

“I’ve been on Nuvaring for about a year and a half and I’ve had virtually no problems. Never had any side effects. No mood swings, weight gain, excessive breakouts, etc. My periods used to be heavy and about 5 days long when I first started using it but now they’re only about 2 1/2 days. The only issue I’ve had is more recently I’ve had a slight problem having the ring stay in place. For a while I never had an issue. Once inserted I never felt it or had a fear of it falling out but within the last 3 months or so I can feel it more and it’s been slipping out slightly which is a definite problem. I’m going to get an IUD placed because I’m over the feeling of insecurity with nuvaring and constantly remembering to take it out and put it in every month but that’s only because my memory sucks. If it wasn’t for that, I’d probably be on it until I decided to have a baby”

Sweethope123 May 20, 2019

“I originally had the nexplanon implant. I had been on this birth control for 6 years. After the second renewal expired I decided I wanted a birth control that was not long term. My doctor recommended the NuvaRing. The first week everything was fine. I was starting to like it. I couldn’t feel it and neither could my partner during sex. Week 2 the depression was through the roof. I couldn’t bring myself to get out of bed for work. I ended up missing 2 weeks of work because it had gotten so bad. All in that time I was in the darkest place in my mind. After the first month was up I came to the conclusion that this was not for me. I would not recommend this to anyone.”

Jillian May 13, 2019

“So I’ve been on the Nuvaring for 2 months now going on 3. I was on Junel Fe before this and was complaining of severe bloating, weight gain, erratic mood swings, almost complete loss of sex drive, and boy did I eat like a man! I was begging for something different and was nervous to try this but I finally did it and I feel like a new woman! I lost about 8 pounds almost immediately due to my back to normal appetite and my loss of water weight. My bloating has been consolidated to only my period week which I might add I did not get a normal period cycle until trying this. I was a little emotional to start off with it but it quickly subsided along with the very mild nausea. I didn’t get any vaginal infections or irritation, but I do prefer to take it out during sex because I feel it moving around. I also like that I don’t have to take a pill every day. My only complaint is that I am very sleepy all the time. I’m not sure if that’s a side effect of this or just me but I will look into it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2019

“This is my third month on the NuvaRing. And I have GI issues already, and I’m always feeling bloated. Once I had the ring inserted within the first week I have had TERRIBLE mood swings. I am depressed, anxious, irritable, you name it I feel it. While it’s in, I feel fine and my mood is better, but sometimes there just a switch that turn back on the mood swings and it’s awful. But I hope after the third month things will get better!”

It’s great! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 7, 2019

“So I started NuvaRing about 6 months ago now, no pregnancies (or scares). I do still get PMS symptoms and I gained a bit of weight - 7 pounds or so - but it’s a small price to pay for not getting pregnant. No mood swings (except for PMS) and my periods only last 3 days when it used to be 7! Overall I’ll stay on it for as long as I need to! Recommend for people who are too lazy to take a pill everyday (like myself)”

bcJourney May 2, 2019

“I was on NuvaRing for 3 months and I loved what it did for my mental clarity, but physical side effects were terrible. EXHAUSTION... needing multiple cups of coffee a day. Last straw, my boyfriend had to stop having sex with me because I was so dry! The pain during sex.. NOPE not ok. I have been on Nexplanon (dryness), Chateal for 2 years (amazing sex drive but I was crazy, cramps AND so fatigued I could faint during the day), Aubra for 1.5 years and had constant yeast infections. Then Junel which made me absolutely crazy. Finding what to pair with Ethylin Estrydiaol has been so hard, but I DID! My last attempt has been on Cryselle with norgestrel as the progestational and I feel great, have energy and good sex drive. Also - with NuvaRing I constantly felt like I was going to have a heart attack (twitchy legs, spasms, heart flutter) all this has stopped with the pill Cryselle. Don’t give up on your journey! Find what works”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2019

“WORST experience- would not recommend NuvaRing to anyone! I’m 31 y/o and haven’t been on BC for about 15 years. This seemed like a great option but it was the worst. I was SO extremely bloated it looked like I was 9 months pregnant. I was only on the ring for 7 days before I had to take it out. Made me incredibly emotional, moody, irritable, crampy and did I mention bloated!? After having it out for a few hours I started to mentally feel better but 15 hours later I still look crazy crazy bloated and my stomach is in a ton of pain. If you retain water or gain weight this will be a nightmare for you.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2019

“The nuvaring was the first form of birth control that I tried. It was great. I had it for about 4 months and no bad side affects! One night I got drunk and had sex and the next day my period started. I was really confused and realized that the ring had fell out!! It was a huge scare but I did not get pregnant thank goodness! After this I decided to switch to an IUD.”

Sophie · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2019

“I was taking the pill since I was 16 years old and didn't notice any problems until I was 22. I broke up with my boyfriend back then and I went off the pill. Until then I always thought that I was just naturally a sad, anxious, irritable person. But it was not true, the pill made me that way. After I went off I became a happier person and the smallest things would make me smile. I started a new relationship now. I'm 25. I didn't want to go on the pill again, so I opted for NUVARING and oh boy it was hell on Earth! It was like the pill... but 10 times worst. I would wake up crying before I had any thought that could make me sad. I had no energy or appetite. I felt nauseated and the worst part were the migraines. I have never had so many frequent migraines before. I don't know if everybody will have the same experience as me... but be mindful of the changes in your body and mind while on it.”

Hannah · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2019

“I was on the pill for 8 years and went off it for 2 years for a natural life style- holy cow I didn't realize while on that pill how depressed I was and had zero sex drive! Now being 25 and single, I thought I would be more responsible and try the Nuvaring to ease my mind. Being very in-tuned with my body, I knew after 1 month this was NOT for me. I’m very active and eat healthy, so within 1 month I gained 10lbs, got extremely bloated, always constipated and I began feeling extremely unmotivated. My appetite was through the ROOF!! The mood swings were severe too and after just a month I knew I couldn’t put myself through this. I took the Nuvaring out last night and already feel happier 24 hours later. I would rather rely on condoms/my cycle than jeopardize my happiness and health. This forum helped me so much knowing I’m not the only one that had these symptoms. Listen to your body ladies!<3”

Carissa · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2019

“I would not recommend this birth control. I was on the implant for 4 years never even one pregnancy scare. I get on the ring for 4 months and I’m pregnant. Look into something more permanent than this ..”

Nuvauser · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 5, 2019

“I was on the NuvaRing a year and a half and loved it. I then started noticing increased discharge and the week before I took out the NuvaRing every month I would have intense vaginal burning. I also started experiencing near panic attacks and not sleeping well. I also was having serious pain with sex and dreading having sex. I thought something was wrong with me until I took out the ring and left it out for a month. My mental health made a complete turn around. I was happy. No anxiety. Interested in sex again and no more burning. I decided to put the ring in again three days ago. I have had no energy and such bad anxiety I can’t get out of my bed. I have also been so nauseated I thought I was pregnant. I’m insanely bloated and have gained 3 pounds in 3 days despite eating healthy and working out. As soon as I realized what was causing it I took that ring out. I am not a fan of any birth control but also don’t want to get pregnant yet. Condoms it will be!”

Emily · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 4, 2019

“I was on the Nuvaring for about two years and I absolutely loved it the whole time I was on it! I found it extremely convenient and it was super easy to skip periods/plan my periods around any vacations. I did experience more discharge than usual, however no weight gain. The only downside, which is the reason I actually got off of it, was that I realized the Nuvaring was the source of my anxiety. I had really bad anxiety and was super emotional while I was on it but I honestly just didn’t connect the two until recently. I got off of it and within the month I felt my anxiety go away and in more control of my emotions. I’m trying out pills now, but I am sad due to how convenient the ring was, if it wasn’t for the anxiety I would still be using it! I know not everyone experiences this though so I would recommend to still try it out! Maybe it’ll work better for you!”

Niki · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2019

“I had a horrible experience with the nuvaring. I developed debilitating anxiety and OCD while on it. It took a mental breakdown for me to evaluate what could possibly be the cause of my mental instability. Once I took the ring out, I was my old self again in 2 weeks. I still struggle with OCD, just not as severely. Unfortunately, however, I believe the nuvaring did some permanent damage. What I hope for all of you reading, is to remember to listen to your body! You know when something is wrong. Don't ignore it like I did until you go into crisis.”

E~ · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2019

“Lord .....where do I start. I’ll preface by saying this my 2nd month of being on the Nuvaring. The anxiety; the insomnia; the stomach bloating and added love handles. The damn constipation and gas— OMG!!!! Emotions through the roof; paranoia and the CRAMPING and leg pain. WHAT IN THE WORLD????”

Tkzinn7 · Taken for 10 years or more March 24, 2019

“I started the NuvaRing about 10 years ago (I am 27) after the old OrthoEvra patch created a horrible adhesive allergy. I leave it in for 4 weeks then replace immediately to skip my periods, though I do take a break week about once a year. I've been on hormonal BC continuously for 13 years so I can't say whether it affects my weight/mood/sex drive/etc., because I have nothing to compare it to. At first I had issues with physically keeping the ring in place, but I think my vaginal muscles adapted. I have no complaints other than I am prone to yeast infections due to being on a daily maintenance antibiotic, and the ring can be a bit irritating when things are already inflamed. I forget to put it back in sometimes and it takes about two days for that to make my period try to start. No major side effects+I've never gotten pregnant so 10/10”

tmaes · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 19, 2019

“I loved Nuvaring as birth control at first, far easier to remember than the pill and super effective. HOWEVER it made me depressed, lazy, gave me a foggy brain, moody and this caused many hardships in my personal relationships. I closed myself off from the world and thought I might be suffering from depression. Once I had enough, I decided to see if it was my nuvaring so I took it out and switched to IUD. Within weeks I feel like myself again!! I am happy, super productive, love socializing again and no longer moody. Would not recommend the nuvaring to anyone. I suffered with the mood side effects and used nuva ring for two years and yet no doctor ever told me that it was an even a possibility thats why I was feeling so horrible. I'd also like to add it also caused a lot of inflammation and made sex very uncomfortable to me to the point I'd be crying.”