User Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control (Page 3)

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing

Jawbreaker · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 2, 2019

“I’m 29 and I’ve been on Nuva Ring for about 4 years, with a short break where I experimented with the pill again while I was between doctors but the pill made me a psychopath. I chose NuvaRing because it was near impossible to get an IUD without having given birth because of the way my cervix is tilted. I have nothing but positive things to say. I have bipolar disorder with adrenalized anxiety and noticed no increase in anxiety as a result of Nuva Ring which seems to be a major issue for many women on this forum. However, the change in hormones during the off week has a drastic effect on my anxiety. Another complaint someone had was “the worst yeast infection” of their life; I have had a yeast infection with the ring that felt like it would never go away. Turned out I just needed to take the ring out and rinse it more frequently in addition to the normal treatment. Overall, I was very satisfied with my experience.”

Bb · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 2, 2019

“I used to love NuvaRing because I have irregular periods and normal strength estrogen pills did not help to regulate them like the nuvaring. Been on it for about two years now. I’m only deciding to stop it now because I’ve noticed my moods have been super crazy and I’m normally not a very emotional person. My anxiety levels are up And even though my life is pretty great rIght now I still feel depressed. Possibly because this birth control lowers your sex drive like no other! I used to have such a high libido and now it’s like disappeared. I’m only 20! I’ve been with my SO for 3 years now and can definitely tell the difference from when we first started dating till now. I even did an experiment just taking it out for a week and then putting it back in for a few weeks and now taking it out again. My moods have calmed down and my sex drive is back! Never getting this medication again unless I’m single haha. A real relationship roller coaster with this.”

Rocky · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 2, 2019

“Reading these reviews seriously are making me wonder. I was basically forced by my mom to get on birth control when I was 14 and that’s when “the teenage years” come out and depression is a thing and such. I am now about to turn 20 and still taking the name birth control and I’ve been emotional, depressed and my sex drive is non existent. I always thought it was just me as a person. Never have I thought it was my birth control..... now I have to sit down and have a serious talk with my mother and my self.”

LivingLaVidaLoka · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2019

“Only used Nuvaring for 11 days. Breast were sooo painful, super tender, and I was cramping for 7 days. After period ended non-stop every 5 minutes, was craving sweets. I was kind of moody, got upset easily, sad, wanted to be alone, and felt super exhausted every day by 6pm. I was not looking forward to continue with the cramping for idk how long.”

Ali October 27, 2019

“I started Nuvaring 3/4 months ago and at first I loved it it’s extremely convenient since I would always forget to take my pill. The following month I bled for 3 weeks straight, not just spotting but consist heavy bleeding. My dr told me to keep the ring out for a few days and put it back in. The bleeding stopped but I noticed I had a decrease In my appetite, my boobs are always sore, and I’ve become extremely tired and emotional. I’ve lost 10 pounds in 4 months because I can’t seem to eat and I’m consistently nauseous. I do not recommend this birth control for everybody. Some people it seems to work for but for me personally it’s not worth the side effects. I wanted to add two months ago I had chest pain and numbness in my arm and hand I went to the ER and nothing was wrong. Occasionally I get the chest pains still. I also wake up with a sore jaw and ear pain. I noticed a few other people have these symptoms too. None of this started till after I started using nuvaring.”

wisconsingirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2019

“I’m 24 and have been on nuvaring for 3 years. Today will be my last day. I have always loved this form of birth control but I’m starting to notice the mental health issues it’s causing in me. I have never had such severe mood swings and depression in my life. I cry almost every day and every time I get close to removing the ring for period week, I get these emotional crashes. My mental health is being compromised and it’s not worth it. If you’re an emotional person like me I wouldn’t recommend this.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2019

“I was on Nuvaring for 6 months and overall did not like it. It seriously increased depression and anxiety for me. It was also very uncomfortable and painful to keep in during sex. You technically can take it out for up to 3 hours but let’s be real - how inconvenient is it to pause everything just so you can go take it out to have sex? Talk about a mood killer. The positive side was that it was nice not having to remember to take a pill every day and it effectively prevented pregnancy during the time I was on it.”

gorgyra · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 23, 2019

“I’ve been on the NuvaRing birth control for two years now, and officially had to take it out. When I first started this birth control it was amazing! I took the generic pill before and it made me crazy angry all the time. So it was nice to find a birth control with the generic symptoms but nothing extreme; until a few months ago. I’m not sure what has happened, but my legs are fatigued ALL THE TIME now even when I don’t do any workouts. For the past five months I have had a dull cramp around my stomach. If it wasn’t for my appendix already been removed I would swear it feels like appendicitis it hurts that bad. My mood swings are worse than ever now as well. I used to love this medicine, but I am done feeling like this all the time.”

NuvaNo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

“I started on NuvaRing after being on the DepoShot for 5 years (only supposed to be used for 3-4 needed to take a break). The first month was great. I didn’t notice any differences in mood and insertion was easy. I could feel it during sex but we would just take it out clean it and put it back in after. Second month I developed the worst yeast infection of my life. There would be times when my SO were trying to get intimate and I couldn’t feel anything at all like total numbness. Then month 3 came around. I lost any and all desire for sex. When I would force myself to have sex I couldn’t feel anything vaginally at all. Yeast infection was back with a vengeance and I noticed a lot of fatigue. After sitting on the toilet one night crying hysterically for no reason I decided to remove the ring and never look back. About 2 weeks have gone by, my sex drive is back and energy levels have returned to normal.”

Jessica Rabbit October 16, 2019

“Hi I’ve been on the ring since 0ct 4, 2019, and I am still bleeding . I was on Paraguard heavy period and cramping, tried Kyleena and I bled and spotting thru out the year I was on it. Maybe only one week out of the month I did not bleed or spot. Tried to get my tube tied , but my doctor told me no, because of my 6 Fibroids. He told me to try the ring. Since I have been on the ring , I have been hostile and aggressive . I also have been depressed and wanting to quit my studies . I just finished an episode of intense cramping like I am in labor. I also have brain fog. I have nothing good to say about this birth control ,once my third week is over , I will not ever put it back in. I wish I could tell my prof sorry I am screwing up , but it just my Nuvaring.”

Julesy · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

“I wouldn’t recommend NuvaRing for anyone with a history of depression. I chose this birth control after my non-hormonal IUD went though my uterus. I tried a few hormonal birth controls after this and they all mad me very irritable and sad. I ended up becoming pregnant during this time. Fast forward to now. I was looking for something easy post-partum I’m and chose this. After 3 full weeks I’ve been crying constantly, depressed, nauseous and completely dysfunctional sexually. I was so happy before starting this and am glad I’m aware enough to know this caused my issues. Skip this if any of those things apply to you.”

Concerned · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2019

“Nuvaring seemed amazing at first! No mood swings, no daily pill, no major side effects! Month 2 however went down hill, I started having burning and irritation down there and sex would burn so bad. My legs also started hurting so bad as if I had just worked out really hard when I had done no physical activity. It started to feel like a blood flow problem because my legs were heavy and would fall asleep way more often than normal. I called my doctor and I was advised to stop nuvaring immediately because it sounded like I was at risk for a blood clot. Everyday since I removed my nuvaring my burning and irritation has subsided and my legs are progressively feeling better too.”

Anonymous October 9, 2019

“Pros: Controlled my period, convenience Cons: cramping, acne first week, uncomfortable sex, anxiety every night, snappy at people, insomnia”

N · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2019

“I've just gone off it and holy moly I’ve never been so itchy down there before. During the month I had it in there were no problems aside from a little acne and a little bloating. My partner did feel it but just ignored it. It did mess with my sex drive a little.”

Periods suck · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

“Personally I have had extremely heavy and bad cramps on my period. I’ve been on birth control since I was 14. I started with the pill but forgot to take it all the time, then I went to the IUD but had extreme weight gain and headaches. My anxiety also worsened with the IUD. I switched to the NuvaRring around 5 months ago and it has been the best decision I’ve made for my reproductive health. My periods are a light spotting my cramps are tolerable and I haven’t gained any weight. Plus my boyfriend can’t feel it during sex. Don’t be afraid of the negative reviews everyone’s body is different and you just need to find what works for you!”

avocado October 1, 2019

“Been on it since April 2019 for birth control and I do have PCOS. Had spotting the first month but that was expected. No real side effects aside from decreased sex drive. My period comes during the week that you keep out although I have noticed that its started coming towards the end rather then the start of the off week. I've lost weight since I started even though I was concerned of gaining some.”

Sprinkz · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

“I'm convinced any positive reviews of this medication are fake. Long story short, this medication has made me bedridden. After using this product I developed vulvodynia. It's hard to treat and extremely expensive, not covered by insurance. I can not walk as my vagina hurts so bad. This medication needs to be taken off the market. If your thinking about trying it I hope you come across this. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!!”

Carri · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 28, 2019

“I've been on and off NuvaRing for about 9 years. Consistantly have had it in for the last 5. I've always loved nuvaring as I havent had any negative side effects. However this past year I've been spotting an incredible amount and my periods are no longer like they used to be (heavier, longer) so I'm going to be taking a break from it to see if that makes a difference.”

Yogabbarbie September 25, 2019

“After reading all of these reviews I feel like I was crazy for staying on the nuva ring for so long (3 years), but for at least the past year I have been wondering why I’m not myself. I started the Nuvaring when I was 18/19 and have gained an extra 15 pounds that I can’t seem to loose no matter how much I eat/exercise. I also have had LOTS of mood swings and went through a depression last year, I thought it was my schooling since I am an engineering major but now I’m not so sure. And the worst was that I lost my sex drive, my boyfriend and I have been together for at least 2 years before I started the Nuva ring but for the past year he always wants to and I just am not in the mood. I feel like these changes started slow but became more clear after the years went by. It wasn’t all bad though, I love it’s convenience and easy to use but for what it did to my mental health and weight is frustrating. Thanks girls for all your input, I thought I was going crazy!”

S September 25, 2019

“So I was on nuvaring for over 2 years and I’m still not sure how I felt about it. I always had really bad leg cramps as well as my arm would swell up, but no blood clot. During the whole time I was on it, I was always fearing a blood clot would hit me. I liked the ease of use and I did use it continuously. I did gain some weight. I did always have to plan trips around when I had to insert/ take out because it has to be refrigerated. Also I took a medication for an infection and during that time for over a month I experienced HEAVY bleeding, my doctor said it interacted with my nuvaring. I never got pregnant but I’m not sure all the stress was worth it. The day I took it out I experienced my first ever 4 hour panic attack. Looking into Skyla or Kyleena!”

Katania · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2019

“I have been on this Nuvaring since the beginning of July and I have had terrible itching, and lots of discharge. I even went to the ER thinking I had parasites because the itch had even gone around to my Anus was itching so much especially at night and it turned out to be yeast infection and due to all the discharge I was having it spread to my anus. I am month 3 and I have been using constantly to skip periods per my doctor's order but now I have been having breakthrough bleeding for two weeks. I will be changing to something else after this, I used to use Xulane almost 2 years ago but was taken off of it because I was having a lot of issues which turned out to be Hashimoto's.”

EmilyC September 20, 2019

“I’ve had the Nuvaring for about a week now and I haven't had any issues! It’s very low maintenance. I had was on the pill for about 6 months and I was horrible at taking pills. I went to and IUD and I was In constant pain. The Nuvaring has definitely been a friend so far. I have noticed I have been more emotional. I do get irritated with how it’s falling out sometimes and I can't get it back in the right place. I will be in the bathroom for like 30 min trying different ways to put it back in. They say when you can’t feel it, it’s in the right place. I can't feel it but when I go in to check it I can feel it immediately after putting my finger in. I’m so confused shouldn’t it be further in? My husband couldn’t feel it during sex but if he were to stick his finger in he could feel it. I’m hanging in there and giving myself more time to get use to it.”

S · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 20, 2019

“Bloating mood swings anxiety depression no sex drive made me dislike being intimate I want to but I can't make my self initiate sex with this birth control its so hard I've never had this problem with any other birth control. I get sad too out of no were no reason randomly. I like the ease of taking it but it's not right for me I gained weight I like myself even less now. Thanks a lot nuvaring . It is still not as bad as paragard tho”

Just say no to the ring September 19, 2019

“I have been on the Nuvaring for three weeks today. I have a history of seizures, depression and anxiety. I haven’t had a seizure in almost 12 years. My depression and anxiety were under control when I started. The last three weeks have been some of the lowest in my life. I ended up having a seizure a week ago and my anxiety and depression are back in full force. I literally cry over everything and anything, have had the worst mood swings and emotional outbursts and just feel overall awful about myself. I have experienced such heavy bleeding for the last three days with HORRIBLE blood clots (worse than I normally have each month). I have also had a feeling that I can only describe as “brain fog” since starting the ring. Today was my scheduled day to take the ring out and I did and I am NOT putting a new one in. I honestly feel so much better mentally and this thing has only been out for an hour. My experience has been awful.”

Jazzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2019

“I tried NuvaRing for 4 months. I really tried to make it work, like SERIOUSLY. 1st month, I had no spotting, no acne, no mood swings, just some bloating and weird feelings. BUT LET ME TELL YOU...month 2 started an incredible itch that would wake me from my sleep to pray to God to take it away. The discharge was excessive. The itch spread to my anus and between my cheeks, TMI but it caused scarring that has not gone away a few weeks later that I am highly disappointed about. My partner DID feel the ring, but we were able to take it out during intercourse and then put it back in. My vagina was swollen and crampy afterwards, probably due to the irritation and itching. My partner experienced rashes after every intercourse session. I know, crazy. I really wanted to make it work but my female anatomy was not having it to the point where my sex drive was reduced as well as my partners because he did not want his rash to return!”