User Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control (Page 5)

NuvaRing Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing

Overiy August 1, 2019

“I been on the NR since January and since then I have had severe UTI that have turned into chronic kidney infections with excessive discharge. The discharge never cleared up so I went to an urgent care to see if I had that or another UTI but the STD panel, the BV test, and also the uti came back all negative. My discharge was so bad I could literally feel it coming out my vagina. I was treated for everything just incase. In June I started having severe pain in my lower abdomen and the right side of my back. They tested me for everything once again. Even had a ultrasound of my pelvic and uterus. Same results except I had a cyst on my right ovary. After all the antibiotics I took nothing worked now with discharge now I have this itching problem like a mosquito has bit my vagina. I do not recommend using this form of BC!”

Steph · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2019

“I did not last long on Nuvaring. It's not worth waiting the few months for your body to "adjust" to it. I couldn't even last a few weeks before taking it out for good. It made me terribly ill to the point of feeling like I was going to die. I've been on the pill (both forms) and would experience nausea in the morning since I took my pill right before bed. And I've also had the implant that goes in your arm which caused spotting everyday and weight gain. Out of all four birth control methods the Nuvaring is the worse (at least for me). It also made my vagina very irritated to the point of not wanting to have sex. I wouldn't recommend the Nuvaring but everyone is different so you may or may not have the same experience I've had.”

Han · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2019

“I lasted a total of four days with my nuva ring. Day 1: felt fine! I was a bit worried about the side effects but overall I easily inserted it and even used my menstrual cup at the same time- no issues falling out or interference with my cup like I had expected. Couldn’t feel it once inside and went about my life. Day 2: felt mostly fine, nothing crazy to report- a little extra emotional but that’s to be expected when adjusting to a new B.C. Day 3: crying, irrationally angry, anxious about everything, I started crying in the morning on the third day and didn’t really stop crying till I fell asleep that night. Day 4: I woke up and had about 30 min before I got so angry, I was worried for my safety and those around me because of how mad I was. I removed it so at least I know I won’t hurt myself or anyone else because of some piece of plastic inside me.”

Tk July 30, 2019

“I have been on the ring for about 2 weeks. I’ve had shortness of breath, vagina irritation and headaches. When having sex my vagina would be so irritated this has never happen to me. I took it out to see how I feel. The first day while the ring out my vagina already feels better”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 29, 2019

“I was on the BC for a couple of years and was really happy about how convenient it was and not having my period. Once I became regularly sexually active I got UTI symptoms regularly (urgency), I have several UTIs including a bladder infection. This was completely frustrating, I tried everything. I read that other people were having UTIs because of the nuva ring also. So I changed my BC and haven't had any symptoms of UTI's since.”

E · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2019

“I was on the Nuvaring for about 3 months and had horrible side effects. My doctor recommended the ring because of the low dose and how easy it is. For the first few weeks I had random sharp pain in my uterus and my cervix. I had put on weight (I was 5'3" and 110lbs) and my boobs went up 2 cup sizes in just 3 months on this medication. I had depression before the ring but my episodes been way less frequent than it used to be, and after going on the ring I was constantly depressed and had no motivation or energy to do anything. Along with the depression came the anger and mood swings. I'm not an angry person, but while I was on the ring I got so mad over the stupidest things and couldn't calm down for hours afterwards. I also spotted the entire second month of using the ring. The only benefit to the ring is that I could skip my periods, and it made my skin clear up. Overall, I would never recommend this bc to anyone.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

“I have never had bad cramping when I’m on my period. My period is just very heavy but only lasts 3 days. I tried the NuvaRing as the pill really effected my mental state. I loved the ring at first but after one month I realized the side effects are so intense. It started with my legs going numb/aching feeling, than I started crying over nothing and getting aggravated at the littlest things. The worst side effect for me was when I took it out the 4th week to have my period it was the worst pain in my life. I ended up being admitted to the hospital. I truly felt like I was dying. The pain woke me up in the middle of the night, it quickly worsened to the point it was unbearable, and I mean that. I was in so much pain I started sweating and passed out. After that I stopped using the ring and I’m completely back to myself! Please be aware”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

“I was put on NuvaRing because it was supposed to be a very low dose birth control and I was already on a pill that was making me super depressed. The first week I was okay and I wasn’t so depressed anymore but after exactly a week the migraines were nonstop and I believe I have colitis now. I also got heightened migraine symptoms that cause my legs to become numb and tingly I thought I had blood clots. After 24 hour of removal I already feel better. Birth control is poison”

G · Taken for 10 years or more July 18, 2019

“I initially googled NuvaRing side effects because I was concerned about its impact on childbearing and then came across this site. I’ve been on the ring, I realized just now, for over 10 years. I’ve never had any problems with it at all beside it falling out during sex a few times. However, for the last year I have been having some weird things happen to my body. Random passing out, very intense migraines, nausea, and random leg dumbness. Up until reading others’ stories, I assumed it was just getting older and my body changing into its mid-30s. Now I wonder if it’s due to the NuvaRing. I’m going to try going off it and see what happens. Thank you for sharing your stories.”

Gabi July 16, 2019

“I used to use NuvaRing years ago and never had an issue with it. I loved that I didn't have to take a daily pill. Unlike other birth control, Nuvaring didn't make me nauseous or break out. I recently started using it again after about a 4 year break. Huge mistake. I have been on it for 2 months and I had to take it out. I am normally just a happy person in general, I became so short tempered and irritable. My Fiance saw me so emotional and anxious. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my head and would snap at my son and fiance over nothing. I gained 5 lbs in less than 2 months, am always hungry and super tired. I also started getting short of breath and had leg cramps that were absolutely crippling. I would wake up screaming from the cramps and the next day my calves would feel bruised. I don't know if its changed since I last used it but I can't handle it. The effects were noticeable after just 2 days so if you notice anything abnormal after you start taking it, don't ignore it”

Mar · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2019

“I was prescribed the NuvaRing after talking with my doctor about different options. It was pretty easy to insert and I feel that was the only good thing about this birth control. You could feel the ring during sex and even caused bleeding afterwards ( which had never happened before on any kind of pill). Then came the emotional part. On day 5 of having the NuvaRing in, I became so emotional I cried for entire day about nothing and had no interest in eating or wanting to get out of bed. I took the ring out the following morning and within 30 minutes I felt so much better. I am normally a very outgoing and happy person, but this birth control really affected my emotions. While everyone is different and many probably will have better luck with the birth control than I did, I am just sharing my experience. I only used this birth control for 5 days, so maybe I would have had better success if I had tried it a bit longer, but I just couldn’t take the emotions it made me have.”

Me July 11, 2019

“I was on hormonal pills that caused anxiety and OCD tendencies. My now husband was a saint through that. After becoming pregnant due to a faulty IUD (arm did not fully deploy and luckily I did not need a surgery), NuvaRing was recommended. I almost made it through my 2nd ring. Over the last few weeks I noticed an increase in anxiety, being quick to anger, and intense depression. After having days of panic attacks (exacerbated by reviews and thinking I had blood clots) and feelings of complete misery, I decided I needed to remove it. It’s been over 12 hours and overall I feel better, just exhausted. Everyone reacts to medications differently and maybe I was more sensitive to it but I thought it was important to share my experience because I wonder how many people feel that way and think it’s them when it’s not. Even this time, it took my husband to point out there was something altering my system and snap me out of it because I was convinced my feelings were all my fault.”

meow95 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2019

“I have been on NuvaRing for the fourth month now. In this period I did not have any severe side effects. I never had problems with my period, no pains, cramps or anything, this is still the case. But my cycle was longer than 28 days, and I did have a heavy flow during my period. NuvaRing regulated it, for a bit. It's still heavy on the second day, but only than and it is a bit shorter. On the first and second month I did experience more vaginal discharge and also vaginal dryness, and my sex drive might have decreased a little bit (but only like 10 %), but now everything is back to normal. It's super easy to use and effective. I also had a oophorectomy (one of my ovaries were removed) right before I started using, but it hasn't caused any problems. I haven't been using it for long, but for now I am fully statisfied. I haven't used any other birth control before so I don't have anything to compare it to. - 24F”

E · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 10, 2019

“I am 23 yrs old. I started the NuvaRing 7 months ago and overall I love it. However, it has DEFINITELY increased my appetite. I never really could eat a lot but now....lol. I'm always hungry and I have gained 7-8 pounds which is not a big deal to me at this moment because I was so small when I started it. I actually like the weight but hope it will stop here. Your partners may be able to feel the ring during sex which is the only awkward part of having the ring in my opinion. I've never experienced blood clots, migraines, depression, or anything else. Sometimes my breast do swell/feel tender out of nowhere but that's about it.”

Samantha · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 4, 2019

“I had been on the NuvaRing for over 2 years now have just decided to stop using it. The convenience of it was great as well as it’s effectiveness. After 1 year on it, I completely lost my sex drive and sex became very painful. My periods became very light which was amazing. My headaches became unbearable. I never had acne before and during the last 6 months, I had terrible breakouts. I have now taken the ring out for 3 weeks and my sex drive is already back and my face is clearing up. If you’re using it to regulate your period, I definitely recommend it.”

PCOS · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2019

“I was on the Nuvaring for about 6 months. My OBGYN recommended it for PCOS. The same night I inserted it, I felt so dizzy and nauseous. The next day I felt fine. However the nausea would continue to come and go throughout the day for months. I gave it time for my body to adjust but I couldn’t take it anymore. Aside from the nausea, I was really emotional and depressed. I liked the convenience of not having to take a pill every day but I think I was just very sensitive to the hormones.”

qwerrty · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2019

“In general, I have found the NuvaRing to be an excellent alternative to taking a pill every day. It is super easy to put in once a month, and not have to think about it until it's time to put the next one in. I experienced no side effects on the NuvaRing other than a lighter period (with the added option of skipping my period all together if I want). The only issue I found with it is that it didn't always stay in place and this was sometimes uncomfortable- though this does not alter how well it works at protecting pregnancy. Overall, I would definitely recommend the it and many of my friends did not experience this issue with it coming out of place.”

Dia · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 26, 2019

“Very effective for avoiding pregnancy. No cramping. I had no side effects but after using it for a year I started developing blood clots on my arms and legs. Most probably I will stop using it. Not suitable for me . I recommend it because it’s easy to use and you get your periods on time.”

CHERN6064 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 24, 2019

“Age:30 I knew someone who had been on nuvaring for sometime and really liked it. Decided to try it and have been on it for about 9 months. Although the ring worked well at preventing pregnancy and slight discomfort here and there, it has turned out a horrible mistake. I did not know how serious the end result would be. I had no history of clots or anything and ended up with pulmonary embolism. "Significant" clots in both lungs and a 5 day hospital stay, including a day in the ICU. I had a couple episodes of shortness of breath within a couple days then on the third day I woke up and could not catch my breath. Breathing was very heavy and deep, heart was very erratic and accelerated. Had to have some eko thing done to break clots, and will have to do at least 6 months of blood thinners. I'm completely over this and I hope I have no more issues with my body due to this, cardiac or respiratory especially. NO MORE for me”

JL June 20, 2019

“After my first months removal almost immediately my mood coming down from this was very angry. I take birth control to help with cramps and a heavy cycle. The cramps were there with the ring. The second month which is currently my situation is I'm 11 days in and I haven't gotten out of bed in 2 days. I'm a happy person not angry never depressed. These past 2 days I'm angry sad depressed. I removed it today for fearing it getting worse. I do not recommend this to any woman. ”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 18, 2019

“Such an easy way. I have scheduled periods and shorter days. Less acne. No weight gain/loss. First 3 months, my mood swings were CRAZY, but it subsided. Still moody every month. Amazing method. Love it.”

Vgur June 18, 2019

“I started Nuvaring about two months ago as my acne usually gets really bad with other birth control methods. So far my acne is under control, but I have really bad vaginal irritation. I am going to have to take it out because having sex is very uncomfortable due to the irritation.”

Jas · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2019

“I just started the NuvaRing 6/12 and had to take it out 6/14. These side effects are no joke. I was very angry, I cried all night for absolutely nothing. I was strong enough to tell my boyfriend and sister that I didn’t feel like myself and I was positive that it was my birth control. I decided to keep it in, because I thought the mood swings were something I could handle. In the middle of the night I’m woken up with horrible stomach pain... I was barfing for 15 minutes, as well as having diarrhea. Ladies, please pay attention to your body and the signs. It’s not worth it”

Ad · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 13, 2019

“I was on the NuvaRing for 6 years. I loved the convenience of it and had minimal symptoms up until maybe a year ago. I did have mood swings on it but not much worse than the typical PMS ones. The last year or so I kept getting UTI's. My partner gets scraped by the ring every time and the pain during sex brought me almost to tears every time. We decided it needed to go. Talked to my DR who explained as we get older our bodies can react differently to hormones. So a birth control you start at 25 may have horrible side effects at 30. Weird I thought but oh well. I switched over to the pill and although I'll miss the ring. The anxiety I didn't have before, the pain during sex, the UTI's those I wont miss. Also randomly made my legs go numb and had some other issues the drs swear the NuvaRing didn't caused. My advice, try it it could be great for you it was great for many years but as our bodies change so does our tolerance of hormones and such.”

Emilie June 13, 2019

“Although the NuvaRing has kept me protected from getting pregnant my acne from this is unreal. It’s taken almost a year to recover from and I’m still breaking out. The entire lower half of my face was covered in cystic acne for the first 6 months of taking this. I didn’t want to change because I didn’t experience any other side effects. No weight gain, no mood swings, nothing. I had to couple it with another medication and two prescription gels to clear my skin. I’m most likely going to be going off this in the next month and try something else due to my skin still struggling.”