User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Incassia, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyda, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Birth Control

Lyza (norethindrone): "I posted earlier when I started and now it's been about 6 months so thought I'd update. After 3 months the non stop bleeding and spotting did stop. I have gained some weight but nothing that isn't manageable. Also the bleeding during sex. My period hasn't stopped tho, and I get it monthly usually with in the same week. Usually a few days later than the last. The biggest symptom I have had though is that my boobs two weeks after my period will hurt so bad. So bad and last till my period comes. Doc recommended small dose of evening primrose, of sodium tablets. Might give it a try. If you can stick out and your body isn't telling you to give up after 3 months it does get a little better. Least for me...."

Mlmlmlmlmlml December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camila (norethindrone): "I've been on this pill since February. It is now December. My periods are longer, heavier and irregular. I experience bad cramps nausea starting a full week before my period. I was prescribed it because I have high blood pressure. I also believe it has lowered my sex drive. I got on this pill instead of having my tubes tied and now I wish I had done that instead. I can have no bleeding BEFORE taking the pill and a hour after taking it I bleed. ;-( Hubby and I are unhappy because no sex isn't the BirthControl we were trying to have. I think I'm going to just stop taking it."

PoohBear828 December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camila (norethindrone): "I am 40 years old and was put on Camilla 7 months ago due to high blood pressure. My periods were spotty at first, and then they might last 7 -10 days. I even had 2 periods one month. (I think due to missing a dose, but I made it up the next day.) Today, I’m worried I’m pregnant because my period is 2 weeks late! I’m hoping it’s just part of the irregular cycle Camilla creates. I have experienced some hair loss, but I wouldn’t say in clumps. I just seem to see more strands of hair on my comb and hands after I wash my hair. I have lost weight on Camilla, but I have been actively trying to, counting calories and walking 2 miles a day. My mood on Camilla has been better or stayed the same. The weight loss has probably helped with that also."

Ballca (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on month 2 & can say that the current side effects I experience are acne, loss of appetite, striking pains/cramps, & DEFINITELY nausea. I'm not sure if heartburn has been caused by this pill, but I have extreme heartburn since being on it to the point that I get sick. The first month was a breeze! Second month not so much... I still plan on trooping through the third month to get full results.. We will see!"

MimiCita December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Jolivette (norethindrone): "Ooh my... what a nightmare the past 6 months have been!!! I relate with a lot of the comments here. I was nauseous and moody mostly but when I say moody I mean full on psychotic episodes... I'm surprised my boyfriend is still even with me.. I felt hopeless and unmotivated 24/7...stay away from this awful medication!!!"

Candy1230 November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lyza (norethindrone): "I was switched to this birth control from Yaz because I’ve experienced aural migraines in the past- even though the Yaz helped them go away and made my periods lighter. My doctor claimed she still couldn’t prescribe it to me and prescribed me Lyza instead. I’ve been on it for 2 months and decided that I would honestly rather just risk getting pregnant until I can find a different doctor (I’m married and we’re open to having more children). This is the worst birth control I have ever experienced. On top of the fact that I bleed heavily nonstop, I have zero control of my emotions. These past two months have been a nightmare. Although, everyone reacts differently to medication, I would certainly never recommend this birth control to anyone."

MaryMay88 November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camila (norethindrone): "Okay, let me start off by saying I wish I had read these reviews earlier. My hair has been falling out in clumps for a while now. Its seriously looks like I have have thinning hair issues. I had a baby almost 6 months ago so I attributed the hair loss to that because I had read things about postnatal hair loss. However, this is abnormal. There is hair everywhere! On the floor, on my clothes, on my vanity. It is depressing. I have 2 other kids and my hair never fell out like this. Also, I have no sex drive whatsoever. I am taking them for birth control, I guess they work because we barely have sex now. I am also experiencing vaginal dryness and itchiness. Never had that issue before EVER! I'd rather use condoms... stopping these today!"

Please Read - Hair Loss (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sharobel (norethindrone): "So far very happy with this medication"

MichW (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "Haven't been on a pill in 8 years... Since I started it 5 w ago I've gotten acne, stomach pains, cramps but most of all, I am angry, sad, all symptoms of PPD. I have history of depression and that makes it highly common to experience depression of signs of PPD as on the side effects list of Nora Be. I will never take this again, I have a cloud over my brain, I yell at my children, angry at my husband for having freedom to leave without 2 kids, anxiety, paranoid. My family doesn't deserve it and I don't deserve to feel this way just to prevent a 3rd child."

Lo Nicole (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I LOVE this pill. I've tried several and always ended up with decreased sex drive, depression, and anxiety. None with this. After 2 months of taking this at the exact same time everyday, my periods went away and stayed gone for years. Who the heck wants a period?? Yay! The only reason I have to stop is because I'm having trouble fighting an infection in my mouth and my dentist said progesterone can make that more difficult. It's very important to take this one at the same time everyday - set an alarm and keep your pills in your purse so they're always handy. Taking these at random times will cause random bleeding or periods."

TiffanyCC November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Errin (norethindrone): "In 42 years old. Omg this pill makes me feell like I'm on my cycle everyday. I'm assuming it's the pill. I've been on it for over two years now. It's been causing problems with my husband because sex is just not in the books for me. I'm moody, cramps all the time, headaches....it's makes me sick. I just want my tubes tide."

Feeling eewwwww November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I have been on this medication for almost 2 months and am ready to stop! I have had 3 periods since October 13th along with pain in my legs while walking and even laying down! The worst part is I am flipping out over every little thing, been fighting with my boyfriend since starting this pill because my emotions are way out of control. I am calling Dr tomorrow to find another option"

KAMR November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I started this medication a few months ago and mentally, this pill is perfect for me! I’m not moody, no depressive episodes, no anxiety, nothing. Physically, it’s awful for me. I’ve gained 10lbs in a couple of months, I’m insanely bloated, I always have pressure in my lower abdomen and my my hair is thinning out like crazy! My hair comes out with ease in the shower; more than usual."

EPeay November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Jolivette (norethindrone): "Although my experience with Lo Loestrin Fe was much worse, Jolivette made me feel terrible. Extreme stomach pain, bloating, fatigue, and low sex drive."

Ella.M November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I started taking Jolivette 5 months ago. First, to all you breastfeeding moms out there, I have had NO decrease in milk supply. And that from a woman who had to supplement with first 2 babies within their first 3 months because of low supply and low weight gain. My 3rd baby is now 5 1/2 months old and still exclusively breastfed and gaining weight beautifully. So it doesn't always affect milk supply. I've taken different BC pills before and always suffered severe anxiety and depression just before starting my period. I was worried about starting another pill but haven't had any problems yet. My first month on these pills I had a heavy period, but haven't had another one since. I'm pretty happy with these pills"

Justanotherwoman (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lyza (norethindrone): "Honestly, I haven't had any trouble with Lyza. I did get some slight nausea the first two week of taking it, and my boobs where sore for the first two months but they also grew to a nice handful - I had rather small boobs before, so it was a nice perk. Since then I haven't had any trouble in the last four months of taking it. I've tried to take other pills before, but I have chronic GI problems and the estrogen always made me super sick. I can't afford to not be able to tell if I'm vomiting due to my GI problems or my pill, seeing as one could be harmless while the other could potentially - in an extreme - kill me. So my doctor recommended I get on a progesterone only pill. Over all, my experience with Lyza has been good despite a bad rap"

Anon 1 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "You should be very attentive to your body and well-being when taking this medication. It can cause significant weight gain, it can cause overall body aches and pains (headaches, sciatica pain, ankle and knee pain, muscle pain, tingling sensations from your nerves), tiredness, dizziness and moodiness. If you start getting these symptoms, I would recommend that you stop this medication immediately. From my experience, I can tell you that your symptoms will only get worse the longer you take it. Ortho Micronor made me feel like my was spiraling out of control with health issues. I was unable to sleep at night due to the pain shooting down my leg, my ankles felt like they were going to break when walking, and I gained a good bit of weight. I was absolutely miserable and at my breaking point when I decided to stop this pill. Note that is was my choice, not my doctors choice, to stop this medication. They never worried about this medication causing issues and no questions were ever asked on what could be the cause of my problems. On the plus side, I did notice a significant difference within two days after being off of this pill. I had no more leg pain or ankle pain. I'm not gaining weight any longer. Overall, my health is improving and I'm working on losing the weight I put on from being on the pill. I would recommend you pay very close attention to your symptoms and not let them get out of hand as I did. You are the only one that knows your body. I truly feel this medication would have continued to cause issues (if not killed me) had I stayed on it."

Be Cautious (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the few people saying they haven't gained weight on this pill, all I can say is, GIVE IT TIME! Anyone who has only been taking it for a month or two has NO CLUE what is in store for them! I'm living proof of this!! I was absolutely FINE the first few months. According to the "medical professionals," your side effects will go away within the first few months. With this pill the OPPOSITE is true. If anything, the longer I stayed on it, the MORE side effects there were and the MORE weight I gained! 1 year in and the bloating and weight gain are out of control! To the point where I finally stopped the pill today! I literally couldn't take it anymore. It's a shame too, because this was the only pill I could tolerate... for a while at least!"

MJ0286_2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camila (norethindrone): "I got on this pill specifically from my doctor because I was still nursing. She insured me this is pill to get on so my milk supply would not dry up. WRONG. I took it for about 6 days -on the 6th day I started pumping and absolutely nothing came out. Just empty. I also started bleeding. Not heavy very light. I got off of it immediately."

Macy D. (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Deblitane (norethindrone): "I'm new to taking birth control. Had a very normal cycle before, regular as clockwork for 27 years. I decided on this pill BC its a "mini" & thought maybe a good way to ease in to BC . 5 weeks into taking Deblitane I noticed my breasts were always sore and full. My skin was more oily & I've gotten the worst case of breakouts (big, red pimples on my cheek and a series of breakouts along my jawline). I haven't had a period. However leading up to when my period is usually due (I tracked my cycles for years) I started having cramps feeling bloated & lasted for a few days (almost a week). My mood was fine. Sex drive has been low. Finally called my doc and switching off it to something with out hormones mainly to fight this bad case of acne."

VAgirl703 October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I began taking this BC Pill because I was breastfeeding. I am no longer breastfeeding. While on Nora-BE I had a lot of painful acne and breakthrough bleeding. I had to wear a pad every day and especially after intercourse. On a good note it definitely prevented pregnancy."

:) (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camila (norethindrone): "I’ve been on this pill for about 2 months, I wanted to try a low hormonal pill to hope for no or less weight gain. Camila by far is the worst birth control I have been on. My period is light but the duration is about 9-11 days SMH! I rather bleed heavy for 3-4! The cramps are deadly. I’ve always had bad cramps but this is different now. Oh, if you miss a pill by a few hours.. you start to cramp & bleed. I haven’t experienced any major breakouts. My mood is pretty normal, except for when I’m cramping & bloating. NOW the weight gain is no joke. I’m sure it’s all water weight & bloat.. but who wants that? I’ve gained 6lbs in one month! My appetite has definitely increased for the worst. I’m a normal healthy eater but all I want to do is snack."

SEG12 October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this pill for about three months now. I was prescribed this pill because I am unable to take estrogen due to family history of blood clots. I was nervous to start this pill due to all of the negative reviews of it. I am a 21 year old college student and take the pill at the same time everyday. I absolutely love this pill! I have absolutely no complaints, for the first month I had some slight, and random spotting but have not had a period since I started this pill! This is definitely a great option, and would recommend to a friend."

college girl 21 October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sharobel (norethindrone): "I currently delivered a baby boy September 4. Within that time I would bleed on a off. Some days darker than most. Around my 5th week the spotting had just about disappeared to very light pink, hardly noticeable. I was prescribed these pills because I am breastfeeding. I started in Sunday as told by my doctor. By Wednesday or Thursday. I was bleeding as If I just delivered a baby again. Along with that cramps came along. Reading these reviews I honestly don't think I can last with bleeding for months at a time. Already it's become stressful and unpleasant with all this bleeding. I'll be asking my doctor is there anything else that can be prescribed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I am discontinuing this pill TONIGHT! After starting this pill I got cramps and by the 3rd day I had a full period with large blood clots. My baby is 2 months and I noticed a lower milk supply and started fenugreek a week ago to try to build it back up. I have not had a period since I have been breastfeeding which my Dr says is common, then all of a sudden after starting this pill I get one that is heavy and I cramp terribly! Not only do I get cramps but a strong pain shoots through my left abdominal area. No acne, but I am looking pregnant and feeling bloated! My mood swings are drastic and I'm already emotional enough! I don't have the patience to wait this out so I quit! I don't see it getting better anytime soon!"

NoMoreKidsPlz (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017