User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Birth Control

Lyza (norethindrone): "I started taking Lyza because my doctor said it would be better to get on a birth control pill with only one hormone due to history of high blood pressure on my Dad's side of the family. I repeatedly said I did not want to switch as my body was perfectly adjusted to the Aubra...but my doctor insisted I try it. I am 1 month in and I stopped taking it last night. I refuse to take one more pill. I hoped this would work for me but all I had were negative side effects that I have NEVER had (and I have been on birth control pills for 10 years!) I spotted the whole month... Continuous spotting. I was extremely bloated and gained 5lbs since I started taking it. I had horrible cramps, broke out, was moody, and it killed my sex drive."

Mlosterhout (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

Lyza (norethindrone): "i had to switch bc (Tribessa) they said I was high risk for a stroke ,so I started using lyza. It works but I have had multiple periods in a month . I'll bleed for 4 weeks then be off for 2 days and start spotting again. That's turns into another full period I don't kno if my body isn't adjusting or what"

Ash Ash August 21, 2016

"I have to give it a 5 out of 10 because it did what I wanted it to do. No pregnancy and no more cramps. But the side effects of this pill are horrible. I was on the pill for 4 months and I started breaking out more than I ever had before. I had constant migraines and I’d wake up very dizzy and nauseous. The worst side effect of all was my sex drive, it was practically non existent. I was always very dry and itchy and super uncomfortable all the time. This just wasn’t worth it for me."

Tammmieee August 17, 2016

Errin (norethindrone): "I have been on Errin 3 weeks now. I'm a breastfeeding/pumping mother. I was unlucky and got my first period 5 weeks pp. :( My ob said a mini pill would be best for me. So I got put on Errin. I know I haven't been on it long at all, but I have continued to lose weight while taking this pill so far. (knock on wood) So I'm not to terribly worried about excessive weight gain. My biggest issue with it so far is, like I've said, I've only been on the pill 3 weeks and I have just started my second period this month. I was on my period when I started it. I stopped for 5 days, I started back for 5 days, I again stopped for 5 days, and I have just started again! If I continue to bleed every few days I will be looking into a diffent bc method."

New to motherhood (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"Can't use estrogen pills. This was my other option. Periods varied from 3 days to 3 weeks. After suffering from horrible depression, weight gain, fatigue, nausea, constant breast tenderness, unpredictabe periods and constant spotting, dizziness, trouble sleeping, and cramping. After a year of hoping this would get better, the side effects continued getting worse. I chose to quit using the pills. I will no longer be putting hormones into my body."

White pony 225234 August 14, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I have been on Nora for about 8 mos. It has been a positive experience. Everyone is different; the way hormones affect you will be different; I felt that on combo pills with estrogen (particularly the 2 years I spent on Microgestin, yikes), I experienced consistent depression, anxiety, weight gain. I just think the way estrogen affects MY body/brain is not good. So i tried a progestin only pill. Negatives: your period is (somewhat) inconsistent. mine has still been a normal period, 4-5 days, it's just not as easy to plan as combo pill. I do miss being able to skip periods like on the combo pills, but not feeling emotional all the time is worth it. Have to take pill at same time daily within an hour or so. Set an alarm, and it's easy!"

JTM12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I started taking Micronor pill after the Cerell pill didn't agree with me. I was on Micronor for 3 weeks and had to stop it, I was getting different side effects, my breasts were so sore I could barely touch them and I was getting cramp constantly (upto the point I was taking tablets every four hours) and then I started getting really weird cramps which I can only describe as contractions, I felt hot and sweaty with these pains and felt like I was going to pass out, I stopped taking it after I had 3 of these attacks as it was making me feel unwell. Has anyone else had this side effect on Micronor pill? I haven't had any since stopping this pill. The only good thing about it was it did actually stop the bleeding."

Hayley84 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

Sharobel (norethindrone): "I had severe preeclampsia st the end of my pregnancy that did not go away after birth. My dr prescribed this birth control because it doesn't raise your bp like combo pills do. So I waited 7 weeks postpartum to start the pills. As soon as I started them I started to bleed and I didn't stop bleeding for 8 straight weeks. Apparently, this happens to many people and it's the lack of estrogen in the pills that makes it happen.. I didn't have too many other side effects from these however. Most bc pills make me crazy.. these didn't so at least there is one good thing about them. But I did stop taking them. Now I'm going to start tri linyah.. wish me luck."

Jax211 August 10, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I'm 26 and I switched from a combination pill to Nora be and I hated it. I was on it for 7 months and at first it was ok for the first 2 months then I started having 2 or 3 periods in one month for 7 days At a time. I have had extreme mood swings,depression, and major weight gain. I don't use scales because they are discouraging but if I had to guess I would say I've gained 15 to 20 pounds if not more. I eat healthy and exercise at least 2 to 3 times a week. I have decided to try out a diaphragm. I'm done with hormones. Ladies these hormones are no good for us. Even though they are effective for birth control its not worth emotional and physical distress. My advice try a non-hormonal method."

Candace p August 6, 2016

"I've been on this pill for almost two years and it has been great. No weight change. My breasts got really sore at first and gained a cup size, but that normalized. I did feel like I lost a lot of hair and my acne flares up once in awhile, but drinking a lot of water helps the acne. My period was twice a month at first, but now it is every six weeks and it lasts seven or eight days. Kind of strange, but I've gotten used to it. My favorite part of this pill is that I haven't experienced pms that my husband nor I can remember. We used to get in monthly fights... I highly recommend this pill for someone that doesn't want to take estrogen. My mom has blood clotting issues, so this was one of the only options for me."

Still workin (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2016

Errin (norethindrone): "Wish I read the reviews before taking Errin. I have been on Errin for 15 months and stopped taking it a week ago due to severe migraines, weight gain, moodiness and decreased interest in things that I usually enjoy. My sex drive has decreased and I have little or no interest in my husband. I could not figure out why I was so upset over small things and he even asked me to look into alternative methods of birth control. PLEASE do your research. It's not for everyone."

Tammy F. July 15, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I mean I love the pill the only problem I seem to have with it is headaches and trying to remember to take it every day at the same time.... But I havnt had a problem with the other side effects at all sense being on it and have only been on it for two months."

I love it so far (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2016

Sharobel (norethindrone): "I was previously on Lo Loestrin for three years because I cannot be on a pill that has a lot of estrogen. My insurance covered very little of it (it was costing me $120 a month) so my doctor prescribed Sharobel. I spotted for about a month when I first started taking it, and then didn't get my period for about three to four months. For the past two months, I have been spotting almost everyday, some days actually seem like a full-blown period. It will stop for a day or two at most, and then I am spotting again. I haven't experienced any other negative effects, but with this birth control being less effective than others on top of the months of spotting, it is not the best option for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "Took this for the better part of 10 years as I can't take estrogen (19-29) and had zero major issues. I got my period consistently every month except one. Had some of the more mild side effects like moodiness and nausea around my period. I still ovulated almost every month. I do think there are some other side effects I may notice as I'm coming off of it now to try to get pregnant, but nothing has been severe enough to interfere with my quality of life or comfort."

AndiPark87 July 6, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "Horrible birth control. I can't take regular birth control due to having breast cancer in my 20s. So they gave me this...severe cramps from the beginning and horrible back pain. It made me miserable, some say to wait it out but I stopped it in the first week. I would rather run my risk with regular birth control than to ever take Nora be again."

CarolineN13 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2016

"I have only been on for a month but I had the tender breasts as well. I didn't know why until I read it here. My menstrual cycle lasted much longer than usual and would get lighter and think I was almost done just to have it get heavier again.. usually lasts no more than 4 days this time has been 6 days so far... wtf! Lol not happy with that at all.. time will tell if I continue or not."

JennieKay (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "After having my first son I went on the mini pill because I was nursing him. I was on it for about two years and the side effects were minimal. However, I'm on it again now while breastfeeding and I've noticed a lot more side effects. The facial hair growth is ridiculous. I have to pluck my chin like once a week. I suspect it's also causing my moods to change. I feel manic depressive. I go from feeling great to feeling suicidal within the same two hour period. Overall, it's doing what it's supposed to do. I haven't gotten pregnant. But maybe it's not worth it. Tracking my period and avoiding not ovulation really isn't that hard."

ClaraOswin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2016

"I just recently got off of this birth control after 9 months because I was almost constantly bleeding. My doctor told me I was "free bleeding" because of this birth control. It may be effective, but I do not want to be on my period more than I'm not,"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2016

"I got put on movisse a month ago, since then I am AMAZED !! This is the best birth control I have ever used my skin is pretty much clear now , I don't really get a period just some break through bleeding and I don't have to many side effects. I am so happy with this pill unlike others I have tried I highly recommended it!! Not to mention its 13.00 for three packs !!!! Love love love it"

Lililo44 June 16, 2016

Camila (norethindrone): "After having awful hemiplegic migraines with aura (which mimics a stroke and is really scary) on the combined pill, my OB prescribed this instead. I have not had one of these debilitating migraines since. I do notice some hair loss but it's not noticeable to anyone else but me. I rarely get breakthrough bleeding (but I never had heavy periods to begin with, just really painful). The tradeoff is so worth it. This pill has made my life so much better."

Happy User June 16, 2016

Jolivette (norethindrone): "The first month I took this pill I had extremely tender and sore breasts. I also had spotting and got my period 4 times in two months. I finally stopped taking it the second week into the 3rd month because I got terrible acne like I've never had in my life and my period, again. Worst pill I've been on."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

Errin (norethindrone): "Errin was great for me for 9 months until I stopped breastfeeding my son. He just turned 10 months and I just found out I'm pregnant! I've always taken it at exactly the same time of day and haven't missed a pill without using a backup method of protection. Surprise!"

Surprise! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "Before this I tried one mini pill and had mood swings/break outs. Then tried combined pill (lucette) and gained weight rapidly-even went up a cup size in a week. As a result, I felt depressed because of my weight gain. I then tried the IUD, intercourse felt like being stabbed internally and I had bleeding everyday for four months with flesh clots. Although my gp claimed this wasn't because of the IUD, they eventually removed it due to an ovarian cyst. Within days all side effects stopped, but my gp put me on Cerelle, which made me have insane mood swings and depression. This is the first pill with no side effects other than light breakthrough bleeding every few months."

Cammychestnut June 8, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I got switched to this because I get auras with my migraines. It gave me menstrual migraines, and periods every other week. My periods were heavier, longer and a lot more painful. I don't really have PMS, but on this drug, I get mood swings, painful constipation, acne and a sore genital tract. The menstrual migraines went away after three months, the first month the period pain went away. Over the course of 18 months, my vaginal discharge disappeared. It made sex so painful that it's impossible. It also cause stress incontinence. I've been off it for six months and the lack of discharge still a problem because I'm apparently not allowed to have any type of estrogen."

Tired Lady (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 4, 2016

Jolivette (norethindrone): "Tried for 3 months because all other types of pills were causing me ovulation cyst problems. Jolvette made me gain weight bloat break out on my face feel depressed have low libido and very swollen soar breasts. This pill is not worth the issues. I'm stopping immediately. I have never gain weight on a pill like this. I work out and am pretty fit. Hopefully I can loose it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2016