User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 239 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Birth Control

"I do not want kids and have tried various birth control w horrible side effects. This Nora BE mini pill was my last shot. Im on month 2. Headaches, weight gain, depression, panic attacks, super dry vag and cystic acne. Im done. Looking at getting the hormone-free copper IUD!!!"

Jennifer R. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I switched from Vestura (generic Yaz) to Jolivette about a month and a half ago - I thought perhaps the Vestura was causing me to have a lower-than-usual libido. At first I felt no different, which was to be expected as a switch can take time to kick in. Just after I started my second pack I began to feel constantly and uncomfortably bloated. I read around and found that this severe bloating had affected many other users of Jolivette. It's unbearable and makes me feel like I'm always pregnant! I did take a couple tests just to be sure I wasn't and I'm not, just feeling super uncomfortable 24/7. I asked my pharmacy to switch me back to Vestura - the constant discomfort is not worth the possibility of a slightly increased libido"

Mal814 September 19, 2016

Lyza (norethindrone): "Was put on this due to terrible migraines. Took it for 8 months and stopped recently. Yes, my migraine wasn't as bad as how it was before but my period was very irregular. At some point, I didn't get it for 2 months THEN 3 months and it would scared the heck out of me. I would get bad cramps and my breast would be so tender & painful for weeks!!! Also, I noticed that my eating habit has gotten worst, I became tired but sleepless and often get anxiety attacks. I just couldn't take it anymore so I decided to stop it before it gets worst."

NesC September 18, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I was prescribed Nora BE back in March of this year. Prior to taking this I never had an irregular monthly cycle. Every month before I knew my cycle like clockwork. I started taking Nora because I was recently married and my husband and I were not ready for a child of our own just yet. Within the first few months I hated it. I experienced acne, mood swings and my cycle would come on at weird times and stay on for 7-10 days as opposed to my usual 3 - 5 days. I told my doctor I didn't like it and she suggested I stick with it because it takes at least 3 months for my body to adjust. My cycle came on and I have bled everyday for 1 solid month. I trashed the pills and pray my body can eventually rid the horomone. rids birth by preventing sex."

Jess Nelson September 15, 2016

"I am actually surprised to read all the bad reviews on here, because I've never used a better pill. I still haven't gotten my period post-partum since I'm still breastfeeding. So, the reduced hormones may be why I'm having a good experience. Since being on this pill, my sex drive is through the roof (which my husband is so thrilled with), I don't have emotional highs/lows (and it may even be blunting my affect bc I don't really get sad at all anymore), and my skin looks great. I do have slight nausea about 2 hours after I take the pill each night. But that's totally worth it to me. My experience may change when my period finally comes back, but for now, I'm in love with the mini-pill."

Alexandria25291 September 14, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I was on Nora Be for 2.5 years. Previously had taken combination pill, then was off BC for a while. Started Nora Be to alleviate my heavy painful periods. At first I was pleased because it helped the physical side effects of my cycle. But I noticed less and less regular periods (expected) with tons of other physical symptoms. Weight gain, acne, anxiousness, depression, fatigue, and BLOATING. I was so bloated all the time. I would have these horrible emotional PMS symptoms for like 3 weeks, spot for 2-3 days, normal for a week, and then back to the horrible symptoms. I just couldn't deal with it anymore - it was affecting every area of my life. On the plus side, I didn't get pregnant. I stopped taking it 6 months ago and feel great."

pengwen333 September 13, 2016

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I had still been spotting a little when I went to my post partum appointment and my doctor assured me that once I started taking the jolivette I would stop bleeding. I've been taking it for about a week and then started cramping and bleeding very heavily, about as much if not more than I was bleeding immediately after giving birth to my son. Now I'm concerned about how it may be affecting my milk supply. I feel like I can't get this medicine out of my system fast enough. I would NOT recommend it."

elysiawonder September 8, 2016

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I had previously been on Errin for 1 year. After switching pharmacies, they gave me the generic version, Jolivette. I'm finishing up my first pack this week. While on Errin, I had two periods a month (aggravating, I know!) but it was just like clockwork. After starting Jolivette, I had my first period during my second week but did not start on my fourth week like I did with Errin. Called my doctor and she told me that even though they are essentially the same drug, they can affect you differently. She told me to give it a few months to work itself out. The only complaint I would have so far, is how ridiculously pregnant it makes you feel. I had very sore and tender breast for almost 2 weeks and irregular periods! Time will tell!"

Emily D. September 8, 2016

Errin (norethindrone): "I really was looking forward and trying this new birthcontrol. The first month was fine with little to no side effects. However about 3 months in, it started to have a negative effect on my mental health. I didn't feel like me and became very sensitive to the smallest problems. As well as it completely messed up my menstrual cycle. Would I recommend it? No. Never."

JE2000 September 4, 2016

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I've only been taking this pill a month. My son was 6weeks old when I started it. I'd just finished the bleeding process from my pregnancy. My Dr put me on that day. I've been bleeding ever since. My son is now 12 weeks so I've been bleeding for 6 weeks straight off and on. I was trying to figure out why I was producing less milk then usual. I figured it out the pill. I will not recommend this ("mini pill) to anyone. I lost weight after I had my son I was almost back on my pre pregnancy clothes. Today I went to get dressed and I couldn't fit anything. I'm completely bloated,irritable and I have constant migraines. I'm so done with this pill. We plan on getting pregnant on more time then I'm getting my tubes tied."

TerinLacrystal (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "first time to take borth control pills.. today was my first pill of micronor and after taking the pill by 6 hrs .. I started to get a lot of cramps but even more that I used to get with my period.. I don t know if this will continue or no ... I will take it for few more days and if this continued i will stop."

dodzz August 30, 2016

Errin (norethindrone): "I got on this birth control at 47 because I was tired of having bad cramps. I don't have any feminine problems so I really didn't need a cycle at all. I have been taking this pill for 3 years with no cycle at all. I did ask my doctor can I get off at year 2 but she said if I'm not in menopause my cycle could come down. It doesn't bother me to pop this pill daily along with my other meds. It did what I wanted who wants to deal with a cycle at my age."

Necber1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2016

Lyza (norethindrone): "I started taking Lyza because my doctor said it would be better to get on a birth control pill with only one hormone due to history of high blood pressure on my Dad's side of the family. I repeatedly said I did not want to switch as my body was perfectly adjusted to the Aubra...but my doctor insisted I try it. I am 1 month in and I stopped taking it last night. I refuse to take one more pill. I hoped this would work for me but all I had were negative side effects that I have NEVER had (and I have been on birth control pills for 10 years!) I spotted the whole month... Continuous spotting. I was extremely bloated and gained 5lbs since I started taking it. I had horrible cramps, broke out, was moody, and it killed my sex drive."

Mlosterhout (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

Lyza (norethindrone): "i had to switch bc (Tribessa) they said I was high risk for a stroke ,so I started using lyza. It works but I have had multiple periods in a month . I'll bleed for 4 weeks then be off for 2 days and start spotting again. That's turns into another full period I don't kno if my body isn't adjusting or what"

Ash Ash August 21, 2016

"I have to give it a 5 out of 10 because it did what I wanted it to do. No pregnancy and no more cramps. But the side effects of this pill are horrible. I was on the pill for 4 months and I started breaking out more than I ever had before. I had constant migraines and I’d wake up very dizzy and nauseous. The worst side effect of all was my sex drive, it was practically non existent. I was always very dry and itchy and super uncomfortable all the time. This just wasn’t worth it for me."

Tammmieee August 17, 2016

Errin (norethindrone): "I have been on Errin 3 weeks now. I'm a breastfeeding/pumping mother. I was unlucky and got my first period 5 weeks pp. :( My ob said a mini pill would be best for me. So I got put on Errin. I know I haven't been on it long at all, but I have continued to lose weight while taking this pill so far. (knock on wood) So I'm not to terribly worried about excessive weight gain. My biggest issue with it so far is, like I've said, I've only been on the pill 3 weeks and I have just started my second period this month. I was on my period when I started it. I stopped for 5 days, I started back for 5 days, I again stopped for 5 days, and I have just started again! If I continue to bleed every few days I will be looking into a diffent bc method."

New to motherhood (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"Can't use estrogen pills. This was my other option. Periods varied from 3 days to 3 weeks. After suffering from horrible depression, weight gain, fatigue, nausea, constant breast tenderness, unpredictabe periods and constant spotting, dizziness, trouble sleeping, and cramping. After a year of hoping this would get better, the side effects continued getting worse. I chose to quit using the pills. I will no longer be putting hormones into my body."

White pony 225234 August 14, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I have been on Nora for about 8 mos. It has been a positive experience. Everyone is different; the way hormones affect you will be different; I felt that on combo pills with estrogen (particularly the 2 years I spent on Microgestin, yikes), I experienced consistent depression, anxiety, weight gain. I just think the way estrogen affects MY body/brain is not good. So i tried a progestin only pill. Negatives: your period is (somewhat) inconsistent. mine has still been a normal period, 4-5 days, it's just not as easy to plan as combo pill. I do miss being able to skip periods like on the combo pills, but not feeling emotional all the time is worth it. Have to take pill at same time daily within an hour or so. Set an alarm, and it's easy!"

JTM12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I started taking Micronor pill after the Cerell pill didn't agree with me. I was on Micronor for 3 weeks and had to stop it, I was getting different side effects, my breasts were so sore I could barely touch them and I was getting cramp constantly (upto the point I was taking tablets every four hours) and then I started getting really weird cramps which I can only describe as contractions, I felt hot and sweaty with these pains and felt like I was going to pass out, I stopped taking it after I had 3 of these attacks as it was making me feel unwell. Has anyone else had this side effect on Micronor pill? I haven't had any since stopping this pill. The only good thing about it was it did actually stop the bleeding."

Hayley84 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

Sharobel (norethindrone): "I had severe preeclampsia st the end of my pregnancy that did not go away after birth. My dr prescribed this birth control because it doesn't raise your bp like combo pills do. So I waited 7 weeks postpartum to start the pills. As soon as I started them I started to bleed and I didn't stop bleeding for 8 straight weeks. Apparently, this happens to many people and it's the lack of estrogen in the pills that makes it happen.. I didn't have too many other side effects from these however. Most bc pills make me crazy.. these didn't so at least there is one good thing about them. But I did stop taking them. Now I'm going to start tri linyah.. wish me luck."

Jax211 August 10, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I'm 26 and I switched from a combination pill to Nora be and I hated it. I was on it for 7 months and at first it was ok for the first 2 months then I started having 2 or 3 periods in one month for 7 days At a time. I have had extreme mood swings,depression, and major weight gain. I don't use scales because they are discouraging but if I had to guess I would say I've gained 15 to 20 pounds if not more. I eat healthy and exercise at least 2 to 3 times a week. I have decided to try out a diaphragm. I'm done with hormones. Ladies these hormones are no good for us. Even though they are effective for birth control its not worth emotional and physical distress. My advice try a non-hormonal method."

Candace p August 6, 2016

"I've been on this pill for almost two years and it has been great. No weight change. My breasts got really sore at first and gained a cup size, but that normalized. I did feel like I lost a lot of hair and my acne flares up once in awhile, but drinking a lot of water helps the acne. My period was twice a month at first, but now it is every six weeks and it lasts seven or eight days. Kind of strange, but I've gotten used to it. My favorite part of this pill is that I haven't experienced pms that my husband nor I can remember. We used to get in monthly fights... I highly recommend this pill for someone that doesn't want to take estrogen. My mom has blood clotting issues, so this was one of the only options for me."

Still workin (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2016

Errin (norethindrone): "Wish I read the reviews before taking Errin. I have been on Errin for 15 months and stopped taking it a week ago due to severe migraines, weight gain, moodiness and decreased interest in things that I usually enjoy. My sex drive has decreased and I have little or no interest in my husband. I could not figure out why I was so upset over small things and he even asked me to look into alternative methods of birth control. PLEASE do your research. It's not for everyone."

Tammy F. July 15, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I mean I love the pill the only problem I seem to have with it is headaches and trying to remember to take it every day at the same time.... But I havnt had a problem with the other side effects at all sense being on it and have only been on it for two months."

I love it so far (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2016

Sharobel (norethindrone): "I was previously on Lo Loestrin for three years because I cannot be on a pill that has a lot of estrogen. My insurance covered very little of it (it was costing me $120 a month) so my doctor prescribed Sharobel. I spotted for about a month when I first started taking it, and then didn't get my period for about three to four months. For the past two months, I have been spotting almost everyday, some days actually seem like a full-blown period. It will stop for a day or two at most, and then I am spotting again. I haven't experienced any other negative effects, but with this birth control being less effective than others on top of the months of spotting, it is not the best option for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016