User Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Birth Control

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Ortho Micronor, Heather, Incassia, Errin, Norlyda, Jolivette, Jencycla, Deblitane, Nora-Be, Sharobel, Lyleq, Norlyroc, Lyza Tulana …show all brand names

Norethindrone has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 925 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 34% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

Norethindrone Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 278 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Norethindrone

AP July 3, 2021

“I wanted to leave a review just to say EVERY. PERSON. IS. DIFFERENT! I was leary to start birth control again at 40 because of horrible experiences in the past with mood swings, etc. I started this bill because of very heavy periods. I almost didn't take it because of all of the bad reviews I read. That would have been a mistake because I've had NO side effects. My first month my period was very light. Second month, gone. I'm good with that! You will never know if this pill or any other will work for you unless you try it. If you don't like it, stop using and try something else.”

Sprbty · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2021

Jencycla (norethindrone): “I'd been taking the combo pill for about 16 years and a doctor finally told me they won't give me them anymore because of the migraines I was getting. She recommended I try this one. The first 2 months was rough, breasts pain, random bleeding, MAJOR BRAIN FOG. I see that confusion is a symptom on the side effects lists, fine, but I feel like a different person. I Can't focus, hard time remembering, can't find the words, have a hard time explaining things. Has anyone else had these brain fog symptoms?”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 3, 2021

Errin (norethindrone): “I have been on this due to not being able to take estrogen based bc. I will give this a pretty positive review with 1 downside. Positives: Extremely light periods (2-3 days tops of spotting and nothing more) when taken regularly. Lost 10lbs the first 2 months. No PMS what so ever. No headaches. It actually has helped them so much because prior my cycles were so short I was constantly PMSing. Negatives: I have noticed I am a bit more fatigued. I have always been go go go but occasionally now I seem to want to nap after work. Breast tenderness is a bit more some months but nothing terrible. If you miss a pill or late you will have breakthrough bleeding . Its not much but it can come at any time. My experience in general hadn't been so bad and I am pretty happy on it.”

Layla · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2020

Sharobel (norethindrone): “22 Y Female here and so far so good on Sharobel! I’ve been on all types of birth control since about 17 years old. I started out on ortho tri cyclen and then nexplanon to the IUD and then Vienva and now Sharobel!! So far I really like this birth control. I have some mental health issues so I needed a low dose hormone and this has hardly affected my moods in a negative way which is awesome because we all know about how certain birth controls can make us crazy lol. Also a plus is my boobs have gotten bigger. Like from a C to a D! The only negative thing I have to say so far is my boobs randomly get sore every so often and my periods aren’t completely regular but it could be my body still adjusting because it takes time! If you want something low dose that won’t have bad side effects this is the one! Also I have noticed my libido has gone up and I am glad this pill doesn’t affect my sex life except for the better. I very quickly become aroused and no dryness over here . Overall a great option.”

Emma · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

Errin (norethindrone): “I haven’t really had any side effect symptoms from Errin pill except my period dates being a bit skewed. No crazy bleeding or spotting and my boyfriend has probably came inside of me like 100 times since I started taking it 3 months ago and I’m not pregnant haha. Best!”

figaro123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2020

Camila (norethindrone): “Please keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to hormones and what I experienced may not be what you experience. I am writing this so the people that do experience these side effects do not feel like they are crazy. I started this birth control because I was no longer allowed to be on a combined pill. I took it for about four months and couldn’t take it anymore. My boobs hurt so bad I could barely put a bra on, my periods never regulated the way they were supposed to, I broke out like crazy and it made me so nauseous. every month I was taking a pregnancy test because all the symptoms I was experiencing were the same as if I was pregnant, the late or non existent period didn’t help either. I hope someone finds this useful.”

AC May 1, 2020

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): “I have tried every type of birth control, from implants to IUDS to rings to 5 different types of combined BCPs, but Ortho Micronor is my favorite. I take generic micronor and it has the least amount of side effects of any hormonal birth control method I have ever used. It’s the only pill that doesn’t cause me mood swings. I have not had any notable extra acne, no facial hair, no weight gain. All other combined pills made me emotional, weepy, agitated and irritable. I have PMDD and Yaz actually made it worse. I will take Norethindrone for as long as I can. It’s been the best yet for me. I know every body is different, but I wish I tried this sooner, I would have saved myself a lot of painful and emotional trial and error.”

Issa December 29, 2020

Nora-Be (norethindrone): “I was switched to Nora-Be from generic Beyaz. I have horrible issues with estrogen (mainly caused my PCOS and PMDD) and so I needed a progestin only option. Currently on pack one and will update again in a few months but it’s amazing how much my PMDD/intrusive thoughts have decreased since starting this. No issues with acne or weight so far. Birth control is so individual that it can be trial and error to see what works. There are so many different kinds of progestin that certain ones you swear by may be awful for other women. This is just my current experience with Nora-Be, will be back to update!”

Christine · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2019

Errin (norethindrone): “I started googling this before I went on and the majority of posts are negative - so I'm posting due to a positive experience . I started a month and a half ago after being on a combo pill for my entire life. So far- no issues, no weight gain, the only kinda weird thing is that I haven't gotten a period. Don't hate it but will probably think I'm pregnant constantly because I"m so paranoid that way .LOL No side effects so far aside from a bit of cramping!”

Abby January 23, 2021

Errin (norethindrone): “I have been taking Errin for 6 months and it has been great! I only have two side effects. One is that my periods are less frequent and only occur every 3 months, but I am not complaining! The other is that my period cramps on Errin are worse than when I had a regular period not on birth control. I love Errin because it is so much better than the combination pill for me. Estrogen made me terribly sick to my stomach, but on Errin I haven’t been nauseous at all since it only has progestin. One thing to note is that Errin is a time sensitive pill. You have to take it within 3 hours at the same time every day. If you forget, use protection for 7 days after, or you risk getting pregnant. I had a pregnancy scare on Errin and almost got abortion, but luckily it was a false positive! Therefore, I can confirm that Errin is effective if you are sexually active like me, as long as you take it on time. I recommend setting a daily alarm on your phone at the same time. Mine is set for 8pm.”

Neonsnow February 15, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): “I had a blood clot during my first pregnancy and this is the only thing they could prescribe. I have been taking it for 7 days and I'm moody, crampy, my face broke out (I have clear skin),no sex drive, spacey, I'm extremely tired and I'm so overly hungry. I'm very athletic so it's frustrating. Birth control is ridiculous. I have never found a good one. Even the IUD moved twice! Where the hell is male birth control?”

Lulu July 23, 2019

“I really don’t have anything negative to say about it. I take it at the SAME time every day My breast got very sensitive so it was uncomfortable to wear a bra at times. No hair falling out. No weight gain. This works very well as a birth control because I, again, take it very single day at the same time. Your window is only three hours. Ps. I waited a week so that my body could get used to this new thing before having unprotected sex. Please be wary when listening to some reviews. If you psych yourself out on weight gain. You will gain weight. If you psych yourself out on losing your hair (you will stress and guess what? Loss your freaking hair) Every woman’s body is DIFFERENT! I took the combo pill and it was horrible for me. I took nuvaring and again, horrible. My body can’t take both hormones. Please remember, most women that this pill works well for. They do not even think to leave a review!!”

Izzy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2021

Errin (norethindrone): “Errin has been an ABSOLUTE life saver for me. My periods used to make me miserable. I was depressed and anxious for the two weeks leading up to my period. Not to mention, I had migraines that were extremely painful. I decided it was time to regulate my period and got put on Errin. The first few months DID have side effects (tender boobs, irritability before my first period, and really huge migraines before each period) but those went away after a while. Now, my periods do not make my mental health spiral in the slightest. I feel so much better! My periods still come regularly, less cramps, less migraines, almost no PMS. The only downside to Errin, for me at least, is that I have to remember to take it at the SAME TIME everyday. Not only do I not want my mental health to spiral, but I also don't want a baby! So if you're bad at being punctual with meds, this pill isn't for you!”

Sunny11 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Errin (norethindrone): “First I'll say I was VERY worried about taking this after reading reviews. I'm on my second month into taking Errin and it's gone well so far. I have not taken any meds (before this) in over 15 years, I'm 31. But after getting married I needed birth control because we have enough fur children, and don't want human ones. I really haven't noticed any major side effects. I have had somewhat tender breasts, and I did break out my first week on this, but it may have been the stress of getting married, cleared up fine now. I don't notice any change in mood, weight, anxiety (I have had anxiety for a while). My period is normally 28 days on the dot, with very occasional one or two day differences. My period came 2 days early after taking this (I started the pill day 1 of my period). I do notice darker periods with more clots, but other than that it's about the same. Overall, I'm happy with this pill, especially after reading a lot of other reviews and felling so worried!”

GS · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

Errin (norethindrone): “I tried this pill 2 different times. First time I had brown spotting for over month so I stopped. I tried it again about a year later (currently on it) and I'm having a better experience. I spotted brown for only about a week when first starting and I haven't had any issues with it since unless I'm taking it late. You need to be SUPER consistent with it (which you probably already know); If you can do this then this is a great pill. I know it says within 3 hours but any later than 10 minutes (for me) and I start spotting for a couple of days. But I get NO nausea or other big side effects that I can notice. And hey, I'm not pregnant yet. So I'd say it's doing its job.”

Red · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 28, 2020

Heather (norethindrone): “I was put on Heather tablet for my migraines with aura and to prevent pregnancy. I was on it for well over 6 months. It did help with the migraines and ovarian cyst, but here I am.....pregnant. And before anyone asks, no, I did NOT miss or skip a pill.”

Not Haopy. January 14, 2021

Heather (norethindrone): “Read reviews, but thought.. hey everyone is different so it may help. YEA RIGHT. I’m on month 3, and my periods are horrible. I was put on Heather to regulate them, but it’s made my days longer. I was originally 6-7 days a month, now I’m 11-15 days. I’m already anemic, and was hoping this would be the answer. Not to mention acne. It’s awful. I’ve never had acne. Tender breast for 2 months, mood swings & depression. Crying for no reason. I’m discontinuing this.”

Amanda M. · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): “I love this birth control! I have struggled since I was 16 with finding a birth control that was right for me. I have had so many issues with abnormal bleeding, mood swings, weight gain etc, and have not liked the fact that the long term effects of birth control can lead to heart disease, blood clots and more. This birth control has changed my life. I have lost all of my mood swings, I feel so much better in general, I have lost weight and most of all ladies my sex drive is THROUGH THE ROOF. Not that me or my husband are complaining. It's been a very nice thing. All you have to do is take it every day at the same time. And no matter how busy your schedule you can set a simple alarm on your phone. Try this pill! You won't regret it!”

Jess · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 24, 2020

Errin (norethindrone): “If you’re trying not to get pregnant do not take this Errin brith control! I was out on this due to acute high blood pressure by my pcp after being on the combo pill for years. 6 months in I ended up having an ectopic pregnancy and having to have surgery to remove it along with my entire right Fallopian tube. I never missed a pill or was late. Took it by alarm every single day!! Be aware!!!”

Dora · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2021

Jencycla (norethindrone): “I literally just started taking this pill about a month and a half ago and so far my anxiety has been much worse, i missed my period, I've had bad bloating, I felt with feeling sick to my stomach for a week and to top everything all off i’ve gotten some sort of infection in my private area! I have NEVER in my life gotten an infection! i’m extremely unsatisfied with this pill but my doctor refuses to put me on another one!”

Senapati January 8, 2021

Errin (norethindrone): “I was prescribed Errin for BC as I cannot take estrogen. For the first month my only side effect was sore breasts. That went away. The second month my side effect was a racing heart. Also during this time I developed a recurring yeast infection problem. The racing heart went away the 3rd month, but the constipation started. Constipation & yeast infections from a dry V. I stopped halfway thru the 4th month because I couldn’t take the constipation anymore & any time I had sex I'd get a YI. Two other things this entire course of time on the pill. 1, it intensified my anxiety and made me paranoid and 2, it got rid of my sex drive. I think the only thing I liked about it was that it made my period lighter and shorter, but didn’t affect it at all otherwise. I’m writing this review because the side effects I experienced I hadn’t heard anyone else talk about. I never got pregnant tho, which is good so I would consider this effective hence the 9/10 but I will never take hormonal BC again.”

Tess · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 28, 2019

Errin (norethindrone): “Just finished my first pack and was nervous reading these reviews. I lost 4lbs this month through my regular diet and exercise and the pill did not seem to affect that. I do not have any acne and my hair is planted firmly in my head. I have not experienced so much as a spot or cramp. The only thing I did notice was a headache that lasted for about 30 minutes the first day and slightly decreased appetite in general. I much prefer this over my previous IUD.”

jx3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2019

Errin (norethindrone): “Just a disclaimer that everyone’s body reacts to medicine differently... but this birth control pill Errin has been PERFECT for me!! I have tried 2 other medicines before this and experienced horrible nausea and migraines plus it wasn’t helping or controlling my painful periods at all. My doctor said this was due to an estrogen sensitivity. As soon as I switched to Errin not only has my skin been nicer, I’ve had ZERO side effects, I haven’t had my period in like 4/5 months, I haven’t experienced any bleeding, spotting, or cramping since I started, and I’m happy. It is amazing it seems too good to be true!! It’s totally changed my life and amount of pain I had, and I look forward to continuing to use it. If you notice similar symptoms as me then definitely chat with your gyno about Errin!!”

TXbabe · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2019

Errin (norethindrone): “Just giving a positive review to break up all the negativity lol, I know hormones work different for everyone though. For me, this has been great, I switched to Errin after being on depo for years. I had zero issues with the depo and loved it too, the only issue was it gave me a lower sex drive, and my pharmacy never had it in stock. The Errin has restored my sex drive (woohoo!), intimacy feels better, and I've had no side effects. The only downside is I never got my period on depo, and now on Errin I sometimes get a light one lasting 2-4 days. Definitely manageable though. I'm loving this and I think the key for me is to stick with progesterone based BC.”

Jennie · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): “Hi. I’m reaching out because I’ve been experiencing a really weird side effect symptom when taking progesterone-only BC. Overall, side effects have been minimal... light cramping, nausea and headaches, but nothing I can’t handle. The issue is insomnia. I had the same problem when I tried a hormonal IUD. I don’t know why, and I can’t find any literature on the issue, but it seems an increase in progesterone blocks my ability to fall and stay asleep. I was taking different sleep meds to try to help, but after about a week and half, I had to go off of the Micronor. I just can’t function without adequate sleep. It’s very frustrating because otherwise, this pill would work. Has anyone else had this issue? Does it go away ?”