User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Incassia, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyda, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel …show all brand names

Norethindrone Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Birth Control

Sharobel (norethindrone): "They prescribed me this birth control because I've recently had a baby and I'm breast feeding. I've been on it for 3 months and yet no period! And I've gain a lot of weight!!!! Im going to my doctor and get my birth control pill changed"

Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2018

Camila (norethindrone): "I just switched to this pill from the combined one. I don’t do well with birthcontrol but condoms make me itchy after sex. I just wanted to input from any hypochondriacs like me who look at these threads for info that EVERYONE EXPERIENCES HORMONES DIFFERENT! What worked or didn’t work for someone won't always effect you the same! So keep that in mind before freaking out! I remind myself this every time I read bc reviews!"

Anonymous April 11, 2018

Sharobel (norethindrone): "I was prescribed this because I had my baby in December and was breastfeeding. It is the only birth control I've ever been on but I think I can safely say it is by far the worst one! Not only have I been bleeding 25 days out of the month, but I've gotten my period 3 times in just one month and it's even heavier than before! Add constant bleeding with awful mood swings and you get a living hell. That's been my life on these pills the past 3 months. I'm definitely switching!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

Lyza (norethindrone): "OK so I'm giving this birth control a 5 star because it didn't make me have any abnormal bleeding/periods, no nausea or vomiting which was an issue with my last bc BUT one side effect they didn't list that I had was becoming so very crazy. I was non stop crying everyday, picking fights with my boyfriend everyday (which was not the case a month ago), literally I have never felt so crazy in my life. If you are a very calm and collected person then this pill can definitely be for you, but if you are already a little cray do not take unless you want to be sent to a mental hospital."

Vanessa (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

"I hate this pill. I took it once before due to me having high blood pressure and it made me feel CRAZY! I already have mild depression and anxiety and this stupid pill just exacerbated my symptoms. My doctor told me I should try it one more time since my birth control options are limited and to just give my body time to adjust to it. I took it for 3 1/2 months and I couldn’t take it anymore so I stopped mid pack. Now I am waiting for my period to come back and my hormones to go back to normal. The torture this pill has caused and others is absolutely ridiculous!!!"

Mo (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

Sharobel (norethindrone): "I was on the Patch for 2 years and had almost no side effects, besides slight weight gain. I had no acne/cramping/mood swings/etc. my periods were super light and only lasted 3-4 days and were extremely regular. I had to switch though, because it didn't stick on very well. I can't take estrogen due to a certain kind of migraines, so my Dr. prescribed Sharobel. I was fine the first week or two, no real side effects except the my boobs got huge. But ever since then I have been bleeding HEAVILY like every other week. I'm moody and breaking out and the cramps are awful. I've been on it since January, and it has only gotten worse. Hoping that people are right and that my hormones level out and adjust to not having estrogen in another month or 2...."

LoriK (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

Camila (norethindrone): "I've been on camila for 2 years. I switched from the combination pills since they were giving me morning sickness every week after the placebo. On Camila, my periods are lighter and take the same amount of time (7 days). I usually get my period every 45 or so days on the pill. If I miss a pill, I can guarantee I'll have my period again within 2 weeks (sometimes I skip a pill on purpose if I'm planning a trip). As far as remembering when to take them, I just set an alarm on my phone and take it when it yells at me. I don't think I've had any weight gain as a result of camila, just simply me getting lazy and not exercising. The reason I've decided to stop taking the pills is I have little to no sex drive. It's driving my husband bonkers. Otherwise, I think all of these women with these horror stories should go see the doctor..."

Stablepsycho (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 23, 2018

Sharobel (norethindrone): "This is my first time on BC and specifically this one because I cannot take a combined pill due to clotting issues. This pill has been great! No prolonged bleeding, normal periods for the last four months. This is my fifth month on it and I am only spotting which I am happy about. No weight gain, no acne, nothing. I’m extremely active (workout 5-6x a week) and I haven’t noticed any weight gain, in fact I’ve lost weight. No increased hunger. This pill has worked great for me. Don’t blame pre-existing conditions on this pill. It’s a safe alternative."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2018

"I had a good experience. After gaining lots and lots of weight from Mirena I am trying Camila. So far so good. I don't know about the birth control part so far, but as far as periods and hormones go, I feel good. I did have problems with heavy bleeding (although after 9 years without periods it may have been "normal") in the beginning, and also with mood swings and irritability. Although this month I didn't experience any problems with PMS. It has been about 2 months. I started it in the middle of January 2018. My advice is to give it time."

Kt (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I had non-stop heavy bleeding for 3 months straight while taking Nora Be. We are talking soaking through a jumbo overnight pad AND a jumbo tampon within an hour. Also, I was passing massive clots the whole time. Talk about an effective means of birth control! There’s no way I wanted to have sex under those conditions. My doc kept telling me it would take a few months for my body to adjust, but I think 4 months is plenty to know that the uncontrollable bleeding isn’t going to stop any time soon. I stopped taking the pill and my bleeding stopped within 2 days."

Blanket (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018

Errin (norethindrone): "Went to the doc for horrific periods, fatigue and bleeding thru heaviest available pad within an hour days 2-3 of my seven days. I was a smoker, went w/ progestin due to risk of blood clots. I started pills 1 day after my period ended. So day 26 I started having brown/bloody discharge, not so much spotting, today is day 27 and I have started my period... I think. Again more of a heavy discharge. The first week I went absolutely nuts, very angry, sensitive, dizzy or disoriented first half of the day and afraid to drive, my depth perception was off. I cried the first two days no reason. Experimented with times and I’m not sure if it was just my body acclimating to it or if it was finally finding the right time to take, but it went away. I have since quit smoking & taking vitamins watching what I eat and indoor cycling for a half an hour a day. I have lost weight and mood has stabilized, I even did well during my nicotine withdrawals. It’s worth noting I suffer from anxiety already."

Angie March 18, 2018

Jencycla (norethindrone): "I've been in all different kinds of birth control since I was 14. They have all had horrible side effects. I started this BC after having my first daughter because I was breastfeeding. I have never experienced a single side effect. Due to insurance issues I wasn't able to get this specific one and they switched me to "the same formula just a different brand" it was a no go!! I had mood swings and severe depression instantly. I only took it for like a month. Anyways, got insurance all sorted out and was able to get jensycla again. No joke guys my depression has actually IMRPOVED since being back on this mini pill. And still no side effects. I've been taking it for about 1.5 years total with a small 3 month break. 10/10 would recommend."

Jahni (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2018

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "Pros: I never got periods or cramps. Cons: 1. Depression - Regardless of the new studies that came out stating progestin-only birth control isn't linked to depression... it still does mess up with your hormones. I've had the worst depression episode of my whole life. I didn't believe the people that blamed BC for causing fights between their partners. But now I believe it. Once I switched back to Estrogen-progestin BC, I am now back to my normal mood. 2. Acne - I've had the worst acne in my life on this BC. I had constant deep cystic acne. My skin cleared after I stopped taking this pill."

Julie March 7, 2018

Camila (norethindrone): "This birth control was horrible for me. I have NEVER had such a bad experience.. generally I respond just fine to any birth control (and I have been on quite a handful). The only potential factor here is that I am a few months postpartum so it is possible that my body still needs time to regulate, but I have gotten so much breakthrough bleeding on this pill and I really feel like things should be more normal by this point. If you have another option, I highly advise taking any pill other than this one."

ro (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"This was my first birth control experience and it's been a pretty good one. It's so interesting to me that I see so many reviews about periods being irregular. I never noticed any change in my menstrual cycle with this. It stayed very consistent like it always has been. Positives: - Consistent period - My mood felt more stable Negatives: - Decreased sex drive - Weight gain I also wonder if the negatives were actually caused by this, so take it with a grain of salt."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2018

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I'm on day 4 of Nora Be... I started the first day of my period. I am verrrry sensitive to all medicines. I thought this would be a good option. Since combination pills made my hair fall out. Day 4 and I've notice reoccurring headaches.... I know it's a side effect listed. Birth control makes me cry... It's 2018 why haven't we found a more natural form. The Copper IUD was horrible as well I don't recommend it at all I thought it was "natural" but it's not. Other than Nora Be I like it but the head aches suck. Maybe I just need to exercise...."

Spiritcon (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

Norlyda (norethindrone): "I've enjoyed the non estrogen birth control. I'm petite, active, healthy diet and the only thing I take is this pill and no other medications. I have had a small increase in acne outbreaks and weight gain, but I'm also in nursing school, working, and planning a wedding so I don't blame my birth control entirely on a little 3 lb weight gain or acne. I take a week off between each pack so my body can be natural and have a period, that is for my own health reasons. I overall am much happier with this bc than any other. I have tried and the risks are far less than the estrogen based options. Also it took time, as with all bc for my body to adjust to new hormones and monthly changes that are from my would be cycle. I recommend estrogen free bc to all females due to decreased risks."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2018

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I started taking this after my IUD came out and my doctor advised that this was a safe pill for me since I have a history of elevated BP. Upon starting taking the pill, my breasts became incredibly tender and none of my bras would fit. After about 3 months on this, I gained about 20 pounds even while following a healthy diet and exercising regularly. I would also bleed every other week and had constant mood swings. It did it’s job though, I didn’t get pregnant but the side effects, I felt, ended up being too much for me to deal with."

KayGan February 21, 2018

Heather (norethindrone): "I cannot use birth control with estrogen due to migraines. I have been on this pill just for just over a year. At first it was great. Mild or no periods at all. But about 8 months after I began taking it I started having a period every 2 weeks. It is just as heavy and painful as it was pre birth control. Not a fan of Heather any more."

Smallfry77 February 21, 2018

"This was (I thought) wonderful at first. I had the Nexplanon put in of April of last year and had it taken out 5 weeks later due to hormone overload making me an absolute monster. I then started Errin a few weeks later. I spotted for like 2 days the first month. Then the next month no period. Then, I got the period from hell. Cramps were ridiculous, bleeding nonstop for 10 days, it was absolutely horrible. I went to my gyn who said to give it more time so I did. Next month no period. After that, just a little. Then a little more the next month. Then December another period from hell. And then five days later ANOTHER period from hell. And then two weeks later ANOTHER ONE. It is February and I’ve already had 3 periods this year. I’m stopping this and getting an IUD and hoping for the best."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2018

Lyza (norethindrone): "Everyone's body is different when taking any contraceptives of course so not everyone will experience the same symptoms. It's good to try something out for good three months and let your body adjust to the synthetic hormones. I personally experienced spotting for the first two months on and off for couple weeks and it has gotten better since I allowed the pills to do their job. I don't spot anymore, my periods are light if not any at. I've been taking Lyza for 6 months and it works for me. If your someone who has family history of high blood pressure and experienced myself as well, I recommend this pill for people who will take it on time at the same time each day. Do your research first, educate yourself and know what's best for "you"."

Tatiana N (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2018

Camila (norethindrone): "I have high blood pressure, migraines, and my insurance wouldn't cover an IUD so I was put on this. I do notice my boobs are much more heavy, swollen, and sore when PMSing and the irregular periods are inconvenient and nerve-wracking. However, now that I've been on this pill for over a year, they have become a lot more regular (will still randomly show up when it's not supposed to but maybe only once every few months now rather than all the time - the periods I get are no lighter or heavier than what I'm used to). I had way worse issues with my weight, acne, bloating, sex drive, cramps, etc on other hormonal BC than I do on these. These reviews make it sound like this is the worst BC in the world, but personally, I'm not that bothered by it. It's worth it to not have migraines and a stroke risk anymore. It's not a bad option if it's your only option."

teebz (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2018

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I have gained weight and been spotting and very bloated, Mood swing are out of this world. I have only been on this pill for 2 months. I am getting off it now. I do not recommend this Pill."

wen88888 February 13, 2018

Jolivette (norethindrone): "This birth control is effective, I had no breakthrough bleeding, no mood swings, and no acne. Great for people who have migraines and cannot take estrogen BC. Highly recommend."

Madison88 February 10, 2018

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I was prescribed this because I was breastfeeding and didn’t want something too strong, I know everyone’s different and these are my side effects. Bloated, headaches numbness in my arm Mood swings but the worse is I’ve been on my period for almost 3 weeks since I started taking this. So if that was the goal keeping me on my period to have no intimacy which equals no baby then good job!!"

Sunny days (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018