User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Incassia, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyda, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Endometriosis

"This pill is great, I've been on it for over a month and no really weird side effects. My boobs have gotten bigger and I put on a few pounds but probably from eating badly. I'm in no pain form my endometriosis and it doesn't interact with my antidepressants Zoloft and trazadone. I love this so much more than my old skyla that almost perforated my uterus. I recommend this pill to those in endometriosis pain and those who can't handle estrogen/combo pills due to other medications and illness."

Anonymousqwert August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the skyla IUD for a year with no problems, I've actually recommended it to a lot of people. Unfortunately after one year my skyla fell out of place and ended up somewhere it shouldn't have been, I almost needed surgery to get it removed. I've now been taking this pill for a few weeks and I feel no different than how I felt with my skyla. So far I like this pill. I was put on this pill due to endometriosis and I suffer from depression so I need no estrogen."

Anonny (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Errin (norethindrone): "Side effects, side effects, side effects!!!! Rapid weight gain, headaches, fainting, cholesterol raised to high levels, severe abdominal cramping"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this for endometriosis after 3 surgeries, went off last week to try for a baby, on the plus side it worked for me no pain at all (had pain everyday not just that time of the month before it),no bleeding/ periods. on the negative side now have cystic acne and have spent $100 with my derm. trying to get rid of it, hopefully it will clear now. I did gain about 30 lbs over 5 years but not 100% sure it was the pill, but not a big deal for me was under weight before it. Everyone is different but it worked for me, w/o it I would have had a hysterectomy at 23."

BellaDiesel May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this at age 47 for severely painful periods (suspected endometriosis) that had been escalating for about two years. I love this medication so far, no period for 75 days, no pain, wonderful. I did notice some gastrointestinal symptoms/constipation, weight gain and night sweats, all never really had before. The constipation was actually good for me as I think my hormones were actually causing diarrhea issues. The weight gain is due to appetite increase but am back on bandwagon and exercising. Bottom line I feel great and my outlook is happy, so not experiencing the blues others have mentioned. Highly recommend for abdominal pain associated with menstrual problems "

SeattleGirlinPain (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Errin (norethindrone): "Does a great job as both birth control and helping with my endo symptoms! My only complaint is the spotting and sometimes it makes my period still a bit irregular (i.e., longer) and odd."

ellee2 December 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I started Nora Be in April of 2016 because of severe cramping, vomiting, cysts that came especially burdensome with each menstrual cycle. It is now December of 2016 and I can say my pain and cramping has decreased to a much more livable situation. However, weight gain, laziness, anxiety and depression have all increased so much. I definitely do not want to go back to the pain but am thinking of trying to go without for a bit to see what happens."

SallyAnn86 December 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camila (norethindrone): "I just started taking this pill for heavy very crampy monthly periods. I am on my second pack and I've had my period for 12 days but no cramping which is great. It has made the bleeding a lot less but longer. Some days all I need is a panty liner which I could never do before this pill. Other than that, I have had no headache, acne or weight gain."

SuzyZimba November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Errin (norethindrone): "Due to blood clot and diagnosis of autoimmune clotting disorder (anti-phospholipid syndrome), I had to be put on a non-estrogen birth control to help with my endometriosis. The pill has caused me to spot just about every single day and I have been on it for over 6 months. It has not been able to control the cramps and I have to have 800mg ibuprofen on hand at all times. It has cut down on my 7-10 day very heavy period, but since I spot every day; not sure if its really helped with the blood loss and anemia. When I started, I had just about every symptom of pregnancy; but I was not pregnant. This went away after about 1 month of use. Unfortunately, this is my only option at the moment, so I'm kind of stuck with this."

greenprincess20 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible terrible depression ; discharge ; major mood swings. I was put on this medicine in January & I'm going to stop it after this week. Ever since I've been taking it I've been getting bad headaches & I'm always irritated. My stomach is always hurting & I've been late every month on my period bc of this pill. I was put on it to "prevent" cysts from growing & I'm more likely for a blood clot to happen."

Kanbcdefg May 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camila (norethindrone): "My Dr prescribed it for me for endometriosis. I took the first one today but after reading reviews from this site and others I will not take it anymore I would rather be in pain than have all the side effects."

* May 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "Ok almost 3 months into taking Nora Be and I'm back with an update... So I had break through bleeding first 2 months but slowly went away. You have to make sure to take pill exact same time every day. I've lost weight, typically looking at BC makes me gain weight. All the pain and bleeding I had for years with endo is gone. I haven't been taking week 4 pills and jumping to a new pack but I just read somewhere that pop don't have placebo pill so the 4th week is also hormone? I'm not 100% on that yet. Ok back to side effects... No more acne, bug skin feels dry. I'm dry everywhere unfortunately. Small price to pay for pain free, cyst free existence. No headaches, no nausea, no more break through bleeding. Will update in anklet month..."

Kitty1313 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I started this pill in November 2015 and now in April of '16 I am FED UP! I have horrible bloating, gas, constipation every day (worsening in the evenings.) I've gained over 10 pounds and my abdomen looks like I'm 3 months pregnant. I'm 45 and have no more plans for children. I can't exercise this weight off either! My back is covered in pimples and my chest area has them also. I've noticed a decrease in my appetite (mainly in the evenings) yet I'm gaining weight. I have fatigue and completely random periods. My doctor, for the record told me that these symptoms I was having were not related to my pill!! So, needless to say, I'm finding a new Dr. Peri-menopause stinks!!! You young ladies, exercise while you can and enjoy that body!"

DeeeeeNaaaaaa April 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "First 4 months I had a period every 2 weeks, extreme bloating (15lbs), very tender breasts but those all went away. After this my periods evened out to every 28 days. I had some mild acne and my PMS and cramps were very, very mild. About a year in I went off these pills because I was very depressed and suicidal. I had also developed severe insomnia, social anxiety and was constantly freezing. Within days of being off these pills my depression disappeared (I have never been depressed before), I'm warm at a temperature below 78degrees and I can sleep. I can't have estrogen so these pills were a god send for my severe PMS and cramps, but the mental side effects were horrible and developed slowly. Be careful."

Ablossom (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Norethindrone for probably 2 years. I never have periods unless I go *beyond* 3 hours after my usual time slot for taking it. You should take it within 1-2 hours same time every night. What I can say is I love having no periods. However, I have little to no desire for sex. If you want to be celibate, take this pill and you won't care about sex, haha. So, I can't say I take it to prevent pregnancy. Symptoms I seem to have often: Anxiety (though I've been on pill 24 years, all different brands, always had anxiety). I also have TMJ, depression and no interest in activities. I'm very lazy and a heavy smoker. Mood swings OFTEN. Quick temper. Wait? Maybe this is from the celibacy. "

BooChan (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a PCOS diagnoses camila was recommended to me to treat high blood pressure and regulate my cycle. It has dropped my blood pressure considerably but I either spot or have my cycle 80% of the time , I've gained roughly 20lbs in 6 months and am bloated beyond period bloating. I only had 6 cycles a year before so I was doing better without"

bluewife November 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication a month ago after finding strange cysts. It was supposed to stop my period. I had finally gotten my period down to 4 or 5 days, once a month, after my second surgery last year. But, now I'm bleeding pretty much everyday. I need to wear a pantyliner at all times, which is no fun. I still have endo pain. I've gained 6 lbs in one month. I keep snapping at people. When I'm not easily irritated, I'm extremely depressed.I've also been quite forgetful, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this medication since I haven't seen anyone else write about it. I tend to have breakouts, so I don't think that has changed. I hope that I won't be on this much longer."

AndreaW September 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I was on this medicine for about 7 weeks and I gained a lot of weight and on the start of my 3rd pack I got extreme migraines when I crouched down. I was in crazy pain so I stopped the birth control. After about 3 weeks my migraines stopped. I got MRI's and the doctor didn't see anything wrong with my brain."

desireesmiles May 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have endometriosis and fibroids and had a terrible time last year when I visited my sister in Colorado. I was having horrific cramps that radiated up my back, in my butt and down my legs. I ended up in the ER there and was told I may have had a cyst burst. I was told that higher elevations will make cramps alot worse if you are not used to the elevation. When we drove up in the mountains the cramps got significantly worse. They gave me some strong pain medication but it really only made me groggy and the pain was still there. When I came back home and visited my dr. she put me on these. So far, it has been over a year and I have had no periods, no cramps and no pain! It's like a miracle! Unfortunately I have gained weight though."

HLN (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Errin (norethindrone): "I've been on progestin-only birth control for about 3 years. I started on Ortho-Micronor, I had a period for about 3 months straight but then my period stopped entirely. Then I moved and I was given Camila (same thing, different brand), it kept in line with the "no-period" havingness. It was great. Moved again, I was given Errin. For about 2-3 months I was ok, but I noticed some changes in my mood and some bloating. Then about 3 months in (February 2014) I had spotting. I thought maybe it would be normal after having NO period for 2 years, but then 2 weeks later I had a full-on period. Since then I've had maybe 3-4 periods in 2 months, extremely painful tenderness in my breasts. "

nerak86 May 3, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Jolivette (norethindrone): "The longer I take it the more I bleed. I've had unexplained hair loss. I've been on it for several months now. The first two months were fine then the next two I had two full periods a month now I'm having three with no end in site of when I'll stop bleeding."

Anonymous October 11, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has significantly improved my life. I've had surgery for 'endometriosis' twice. The second surgery showed no sign of endometriosis yet I continued getting severely ill with my cycle and missing work for several days each month. Doctor always gave me oral contraceptives that included estrogen which caused constant illness and extreme bloating . Finally, I was prescribed norethindrone. My cycles have stopped and although I have mild night sweats, decreased sex drive and some weight gain my quality of life is so much better! It's been about 7 months; hopefully the side effects don't worsen and the benefit continues."

Anonymous October 3, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I just finished my first month of Jolivette and have no complaints whatsoever! I have been on several other pill forms and have had a lot of trouble with them due to breast tenderness mostly. With Jolivette I haven't had any breast tenderness (except during my period), but we are hoping that I won't have a period anymore after taking this for a while. Easy to take, although if I miss a pill it doesn't matter as I am not using it for birth control. I did have some bleeding to start with but my OB/GYN said that is normal. "

aj21allstar May 26, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camila (norethindrone): "I started this after my second lap surgery for my endometriosis. Had no problems the first month, but have now been bleeding nonstop for 6 weeks. I really liked the fact that I didn't suffer from the side effects that I feel with a typical combination pill (weight gain, nausea, etc), but I cannot take the bleeding and pain anymore. I have had to take 2-3 pills a day to control the bleeding and am still experiencing spotting and cramps. I'm sure that this is the right method for controlling endometriosis for some women, but it is definitely not right for me. "

Anonymous March 29, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was added to my therapy to help with the insomnia and moodiness, well the moodiness is a bit better. I still have the insomnia and really weird dreams!"

Anonymous December 14, 2009