User Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Endometriosis

Also known as: Camila, Errin, Ortho Micronor, Aygestin, Tulana, Jencycla, Incassia, Norlyda, Jolivette, Lyza, Sharobel, Deblitane, Nora-Be, Norlyroc, Heather

Norethindrone Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Norethindrone

Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

Aygestin (norethindrone): “I have had excessive bleeding, blood clots and bad cramps since 2016. This medicine Aygestin is my last resort, I've been trying to avoid surgery. This medicine has helped with my symptoms, however, I have experienced some side effects from Aygestin, 1. Allergy symtoms: runny nose and sneezing (daily). 2. Acid reflex (daily). 3. nervousness (occasional). 4. Mood swings, feeling uptight (daily). 5. Feeling hot (daily). 6. Trouble sleeping (occasional). 7. Frequent urge to urinate. 8. Weight gain. Although I had these side effect symptoms it is still better than what I had previously experienced, I am considering surgery. I just want to feel somewhat normal again.”

J Bird · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 3, 2020

“Been on 5 mg once a day now for six months. Taking for endo pain. New doc put me on this higher dose as a last resort and it’s now working well. Initially had bloating, moodiness, some insomnia and mild cramps. Periods stopped after 3 mo. Have had spotting for long periods of time but recently stopped. I also had some migraines with aura about four times a week but it completely has stopped and they never caused pain which my doctor monitored. .I’m 50, but of late I have like hot flashes a lot Used to get maybe a few a week at night which caused insomnia. But of late, I get this wave of heat coming over me..all times of the day. With the Covid thing, I take my temps twice a day but nothing. I almost feel like I’m fighting a bug but no other symptoms. Overall I would take it again as it’s completely changed my quality of life for the better. Anyone else having hot flashes? lol”

Tinker24 April 2, 2020

“My obgyn started me on norethindrone following laparoscopic surgery to remove a 9cm endometrioma from my right ovary and a 5cm one from my left ovary. During the procedure I was also diagnosed with Stage 3/4 endometriosis. I do not want to have a full hysterectomy as I am only 34 years old. I also did not want to do Lupron shots or take Orlissa. Since being on the mini pill birth control my moods have changed for the better, I am less irritable and my anxiety/panic attacks aren’t soaring through the roof as much either. My first period on this medication was a life saver. I wasn’t reaching for the ibuprofen or acetaminophen like I normally would without being on anything. My period lasted 4 days (usually lasts 7 days). It has helped me become regular with bowel movements and I’m less bloated. I also don’t feel as fatigued and I have less migraines (when a migraine does come on it isn’t as bad as they usually are). I have no complaints thus far with this birth control.”

MLenore · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2020

“Have used it as Errin 4 months. Not sexually active but had an endometrioma removed about a year ago and was told this may help prevent it from happening again. The first month is pretty hard while my body adjusts to it. It makes me feel really tired and if I take it with just water and no food, I feel sick to my stomach. But after about the first 3-4 weeks I’m normal again. No mood swings or weight gain. 37 year old for the record.”

Danielle · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

“I was prescribed Norlutate in December 2019 for stage 4 colorectal endometriosis. For the first couple of weeks I experienced depression, crying, emotional instability, painful periods, and difficulty sleeping. My partner was able to convince me to give the medication time to work. I am very happy to say that by giving it time that the depression has subsided, I don't cry without reason, I am still moody but can feel it coming before I react to a situation unreasonably. I started meditating and stretching before bed which helps me be in a better state for sleeping. As for my diagnosis, its working - I no longer have bleeding rectally during menstruation and the constipation is gone. I am no longer in constant pain - but manageable pain. It kind of sucks having a bit of acne at age 31, and a small amount of weight gain, but its a small price to pay in order to have the quality of life back you desire.”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

Aygestin (norethindrone): “The doctor placed me on this when I came off the birth control patch and had magnified symptoms such as excruciating cramps and extended bleeding. While these were both suppressed by the norethindrone, this medicine brought on a whole host of new side effects: hot flashes, night sweats, oily skin and hair, acne, water retention, breast tenderness, and - holy heck - the MOOD SWINGS! I feel like I'm yelling at everyone! I have PMDD and this medicine has made it 10x worse where I cannot stand to be around anyone and vice versa. I decided to tell my doctor about it this week and he wanted to give me the Minivelle Dot to see if that would help, but I felt even worse after wearing it for 5 hours. I decided to go back on Xulane because at least that controls all the symptoms even if I do have spotting for most of the month. I'd rather deal with that than feeling like this!”

Diamond · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2020

Heather (norethindrone): “I have chronic endometriosis and adenomyosis. I was prescribed the mini pill and was given a 3 month supply of Heather birth control pill by my pharmacy. I continue to have extreme cramping even when not on my cycle. I have been bleeding for, so far as we speak, 12 days and counting. I'm 47, will be 48 in April and used to have clear skin and now I have itchy weird puffy skin, especially on my cheeks near eyes. Getting a lot of itchy hives on my face in random spots, especially around my upper cheek bones near and around eyes. Really tired all the time, emotionless and I've also noticed constipation. This pill is supposed to have regulated my period and help with the pain. I'm at the end of my second pack and am stopping the pill immediately!! Not taking it anymore. .. Everyone is different and that is my experience. Hope it helps TAKE AT YOUR OWN RISK.”

ARJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2019

Errin (norethindrone): “I’ve been taking Errin birth control pill for about a month now. Overall, it’s been really good! I haven’t had the spotting everyone complains about, and I have not had any cramping either. I normally have really terrible periods so I’m hoping this birth control can either stop them completely or lessen the pain. The first week or two, it gave me really bad headaches (not migraines just headaches), but those went away after about week two. I haven’t noticed any weight gain either. I feel like the medicine maybe gives me slight mood swings, but I can recognize them pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I’m not seeing any improvement in my skin.”

Anonymous September 19, 2019

“This pill is the absolute worst. I only took it for 3 weeks. It broke my skin out so bad. My cycle stayed in for 9 days or more had heavy clotting and spotted several days. I wouldn’t recommend taking this pill find other alternatives for heavy cycles. For some reasons doctors say it takes a while to work but it didn’t take long for it to have a negative affect on my body.”

Enomas · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

“I have stage 4 endometriosis. My doctor prescribed the norethindrone because of awful mood swings from the combo pill. I was highly skeptical and resistant birth control pills, I felt that any manipulation of my hormones would cause me mood swings. I only took this because I was desperate to get rid of period pain. I took this for six months and only got a light period with minimal pain in the first month. I’ve been physically pain free the entire time. I’m stopping now because like all hormonal birth control, the anxiety and mood swings are getting out of hand. As a lot of the reviewers have said, my thoughts have become very dark so it’s time to get off.”

Meka · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2019

“I have been on this pill for over a year. When I first started, my cycle stayed on for two weeks. My GYN increased my dose to three 5mg tablets. This did the trick! I do NOT have a cycle at all. I do cramp severely about 5 to 7 days out of the month. I don't mind this because prior to the pill I had PAINFUL and HEAVY cycles. I literally had to where pad and tampon and still had leaks sometimes. I have lost 30 pounds with diet and exercise so my 30 pound loss is in no relation to talking the pill. For those who are gaining then diet and exercise may head that up. Norethindrone made my life a little better when it comes to the nightmare of menstrual cycle.”

Madderz · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 14, 2019

Nora-Be (norethindrone): “I got on this Nora-Be pill maybe 3ish years ago. Thought it was helping my Endometriosis. But my Gyno and hormone doctor told me it wasn't great for helping Endo. I'm taking progesterone as a hormone pill. Nora B has made my life change for the worse. Horrible acne, weight gain and unwanted hair on my face. Also my mood has changed since I've been on it. I stopped taking Nora B today and I know once it gets out of my system I'll be way better. In the near future probably 2-3 months I do wanna get back on a better birth control that will help it better. I do not recommend this birth control to any women with Endo. Does not help and makes things worse for you. I am 26 years old and without insurance right now. Without it, the pill for 3 months is over $130. Again I do not recommend this birth control”

Anna · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2019

“I was prescribed norethidrone as form of birth control that would prevent my endometriosis from worsening. I’m on a separate medication for that. This has caused me to me more hungry between meals. However, increased snacking has not caused weight gain. I did have all-day headaches in the first month that were fairly intense, but those have subsided. I have far more acne now than before, and my breasts have gotten a bit smaller. However, I have not had a period or spotting since I began, which is what my OB intended. I actually increase my dose from 5 to 10 to alleviate negative symptoms caused by my endometriosis medication, and it’s while the hunger has worsened, everything seems to be going quite well. Compared to the half dozen I had to try in the last two years for Endo management, this is great!”

EH · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 28, 2019

“So, so glad reading the reviews here that I am not alone. I was actually given this pill before I was diagnosed with endo. I proceeded to have heavy, EXTREMELY painful periods that would last for weeks. The mini pill gave me the most severe pain I have ever experienced in my life, not just with my menstrual cycle. It was that bad. Other issues: I had pain when I was ovulating, I'm pretty sure it was giving me cysts, hair loss (though that did start to alleviate around month 6), acid reflux, nausea, severe acne (and I already had really bad skin to begin with). Besides that it gave me pretty bad anxiety all around. I stuck with this pill for 9 months before calling it quits. My cycle never became regular, and I couldn't take the severe pain anymore. And I never had any issues with taking it on-time every day either, so that wasn't a factor.”

Sky · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2019

Heather (norethindrone): “It's okay, but not the best. Without birth control my periods are extremely heavy and I cramp so badly I can't move. I also have migraines. This has improved them a little bit, but compared to my on the clock bleeding I am actually going to scream!! I have been having my period for three weeks!! Has never happened to me before!”

anon June 12, 2019

Jencycla (norethindrone): “I absolutely HATE this birth control. I started taking it maybe 9 months ago and, although I am not pregnant, the side effects are awful and unbearable. I take birth control due to my endometriosis. I used to extremely sick in high school, I've passed out from pain, and have vomited countless times. I am 21, 4'11", 105 lbs and my flow was super, I also had the most irregular periods. I suffer from migraines and my old birth control was exacerbating them, so my OBG/YN put me on progesterone only birth control. When I take this medicine, I do get a period. It is still irregular, my flow is not enough to fill a regular tampon so I use a diva cup. The reason why this pill does not work for me is because my flow is irregular, my cramps are AWFUL, and I am getting horrendous acne (which never happened before). Even as I write this now, it is 3am and I cannot sleep due to my cramps. Earlier today I got a heat flash and vomited because of my period.”

X · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2019

“Norethindrone is an absolute nightmare of a drug. Started at 5mg. and immmediately after starting dosage the insomnia started, and when I could sleep I would be woken up by extreme night sweats (think stepped out of the shower soaking)—I get daily hives, the most insane mood swings I think I have ever had, and extreme depression. Do not take this drug!”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 18, 2019

“This pill has done great for my endometriosis - a tubal pregnancy I had 20 years ago caused endometrial cells to escaped and reproduce outside of my uterus so I was getting internal bleeding during my periods. My periods were pretty horrible after a copper IUD removal - time in between periods was about 14 days, and would last up to 10 days. Menstrual hemorrhaging was making my commute horrible. I have been taking norethidrone for about 1.5 years, and gained a bit of weight, ~10 lbs. My periods are completely gone with no spotting and no cramps whatsoever, which took about 3 months. However, I think I have developed hives from the generic Norethindrone, so I am attempting the name brand Aygestin. Good luck to all!”

Sololoba April 14, 2019

“Been taking this medication for a month now. I'm 26 and have endometriosis. In the past month I have seen great results with my cystic and hormonal acne... But that's it. I am CONSTANTLY exhausted, I can't get out of bed. I'm literally crying 80% of my day. I am not an emotional person either. I haven't had ANY improvement in pain.. I have even been having very dark Thoughts.... Yesterday I literally felt like I wanted to die. Emotionally, mentally... It's not a good medication for me WHATSOEVER. I am forgetting to do basic things like feed the cats or pay the bills, I'm forgetting simple things that shouldn't be something to forget.. I feel like I'm extremely depressed and I can't get into a doctor for another 5 weeks. But I'm scared that if I stop taking it my pain is going to get even worse and my cystic pimples will come back and I'll be just as depressed.”

Hope March 16, 2019

Norlyda (norethindrone): “I was having awful periods & my side was always hurting even when I wasn’t on my period. I started taking Norlyda in October. I had adjustment bleeding mid-November that lasted a few weeks. Previously I’ve always had regular periods, but since starting Norlyda I haven’t. After the adjustment bleeding, I had my last real period in December. A week after, I had another “period” that lasted 3 days. I bled a little mid-January but since then none. Since starting the pill, I’ve had bad stomach problems & still had side pain. I stopped taking it the last week of February. It’s now March 16th & have started bleeding again. I don’t like that it stopped my periods all together. It didn’t help with my pain & I had almost constant diarrhea. I tried changing my diet, etc. & NOTHING made me feel better. Now that I’m off the pill, I haven’t had a stomach episode in about 3 weeks. My side still hurts some but it was no where like it was when I was on the pill.”

Allie January 13, 2019

“I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I had THE MOST painful cramps during my periods to the point where I would crawl into a ball on the floor screaming and wailing in pain. I absolutely dreaded my period and had to plan around my period because I knew that I would have to stay home and be in agonizing pain. Norethindrone has been a LIFE SAVER! My dr. recommended it to stop my periods so that I wouldn't feel the pain anymore. The first month I had spotting for 3 weeks. I was taking at night time but then I read the bottle and said to take it in the morning. As soon as I switched to taking it in the morning, the spotting stopped! I haven't had a period in 6 months! I'm pain free! Thank goodness. For years I thought my cramp pain was normal but it wasn't. I wish I'd found this medication sooner. Cons: - weight gain - my acne increased -I started giving off a scent. It's not bad smelling but it's weird. I'm not happy about the side effects but they're a small price to pay in exchange for being pain free!”

Rose · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2019

Errin (norethindrone): “I started this med only a couple of months ago for cysts and possible endometriosis. Not only have I had EXTREME weight gain in a very small amount of time, but i ended up with another cyst anyway. I’m also tired all the time and feel foggy. Never again.”

Wiggly · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2018

“I took this drug for THREE DAYS. I became extremely ill after the second pill. I had severe pelvic pain right underneath my pelvic bone that I've never even experience with endometriosis. My pain from endo is atrocious, but this was a different pain. I was too nauseous to even eat much, I was so exhausted I couldn't get out of bed, I was short of breath, I was crying at everything, very irritable and I had dark thoughts, I was weak, and shaky there's no way I could tolerate this medication for even a week. It's 100% not for me. I called my doctor and she told me to stop taking it.”

blondie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2018

Heather (norethindrone): “Taking this medicine is a severe mistake. This drug does not AT ALL reduce cramping, bleeding severity, or promote bodily menstrual regularity. Instead, after only 2 months of using it, my hair is falling out in the shower, my acne is severe, I've gained 11 pounds, and my anxiety is unbearable. This drug has caused me to have a period every 2 weeks since being on it, and with each period I am vomiting and swelling up. My breasts are so tender that I cannot even put a bra on. I am entirely exhausted all of the time - something I NEVER had an issue with until taking this medicine. I have an appointment first thing tomorrow to come off of this drug - what a nightmare.”

Scorpio Queen · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2018

“I started taking this pill and it made my stomach cramp . Nipples was so sore & it made my vagina so dry !!! And made my period last about 2 weeks longer . Then the next month didn’t have a period . So I stopped it after a month in a half and finally I’m on my period . Not knowing what to expects”

Learn more about Endometriosis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)