User Reviews for Citalopram systemic

Persistent Depressive Disorder
4.5

Summary of Citalopram reviews 7.6 1,551 reviews

Reviews for Citalopram

For Bipolar Disorder: "Went off this med pre Christmas under Drs orders. Went quite crazy over Christmas. Reintroduced 2 days ago and finally I'm coming down. I'm on lithium and pristiq but even as much 20mg daily has made a huge difference so far. I have a new Dr. now."

Chief Bromden (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I posted twice now day 5 and week 6. I am now hitting onto 3 month and I have never felt better. No more suicidal thoughts. No more depression. No more overthinking or thinking worse scenarios. It’s always helped my OCD which was checking and re reading things. Amazing drug highly recommend do not read the negatives. Go off your own experience. I am now 22 my daughter is coming up 2 and life has never been better. Also after getting out of a relationship and having a miscarriage it didn’t affect my mental health. Amazing life changer!❤️"

Shanwales97x (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescibed citalopram because my anxiety was taking over my life. Really pleased with the results. First few days I had a nasty headache and slept for a few hours after I took it, but by the 5th day they were gone. I have started to do things I was severely scared of, and am already building confidence. I have always felt my moods were really erratic, but I feel so much more stable. Even on a low dose of 10mg it has changed me completely. I do have cognitive behavioural therapy as well. I don't feel as it's cured my anxiety but lowered it to a point where I can start managing it. Really wish I'd tried it sooner as I was too frightened to touch medication."

Nicknak (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "This drug helped me a lot. My panic disorder came through mainly from my own abuse of substances etc. Words can’t describe how bad they were - my head was totally gone! Give this drug a chance! I’m talking months don’t expect it to happen overnight. Felt bad for first month taking them but whether that was the drug or like I say I was in a permanent state of panic anyway. Give it time. I still get odd blip but persevere with it! Been on them 6 months and plan to try come off them soon. Can’t imagine it’s going be easy, but there you go!"

Northener (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I never write reviews. I had to for this..I was in a severely abusive relationship for 3 years & when I finally got out of it I had the most horrible anxiety/panic disorder. I couldn’t even leave my house without being terrified. I have PTSD as well from that event. I have to say, ever since taking citalopram (20mg once a day) I haven’t felt anxiety since (except situations where anxiety is normal) I don’t panic anymore. I do still have PTSD symptoms, it didn’t take away my depression, that is something I need to work on myself. But citalopram completely 100% took away my irrational anxiety. I am so grateful for it."

Samantha (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2019

For Depression: "I have been taking Citalopram (10mg) for a few months now after being diagnosed with depression and anxiety by my doctor. It never occurred to me that I was depressed as I have a wonderful life but after extensive research on depression I have learned so much! Depression is so much more than being sad. I have struggled with anxiety ever since I was a child. I just always masked it and learned to deal with it. Citalopram has changed my life. I’m no longer feeling fatigued, my PMS/ periods are much more manageable, less anxious, and I just generally feel good. It’s a strange feeling coming from someone who has apparently struggled with depression for years. I feel normal. Give it a try. I hope it helps you like it has helped me."

MLPH (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2019

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Celexa since 2002. The only side effect I have had is weight gain. I have tried the generic to reduce cost, but it did not work the same as the Brand. I had my anxiety and panic attacks back. Went back on Celexa Brand. I am taking 10mg daily. I have tried going off completely but approximately 1 month in the anxiety and panic attacks come back. Celexa is a life-saver for me and am afraid to try anything else. Before Celexa I was put on several other medications ( I don't remember what they were) but they either did nothing to help my situation or they made the panic attacks more frequent; all had side effects."

P.A. (taken for 10 years or more) January 14, 2019

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I'm a 57 year old male who has suffered from generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) on and off during my life. It was only three years ago I started taking medication for it. I started out with buspirone and it worked great for 1.5 years and it then its affect just started tapering off and not really working for me. I tried without for about 6 months and was feeling good but had another bout of anxiety. My Dr. Recommended celexa 40mg in morning once a day. First few days were horrible, felt spaced out and tired and could not function at all. Talked with nurse family member and said dose was too high and cut down to 20mg (half pill) for two weeks. I did that and then bumped it back to 40mg. It worked! My side effects slowly went away. I have been on celexa for over three months and feel much better now. Buspirone had more of a calming sedation feel, celexa puts me in a better frame of mind. That is the best way to describe the difference between them. Anxiety symptoms have gone away. Might be a rough start but stick with it."

Eli10 January 12, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "Have been on 10mg Citolopram for a year now. Was prescribed it by my Doctor after I'd had 3 months of interrupted sleep due to nightly hot flushes accompanied with overwhelming anxiety at the same time. The first few days on it were weird, felt out of it, nauseous but so glad I persevered because I rarely have a hot flush now and sleep like a baby!! The anxiety disappeared overnight as well."

InvertedTriangle (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Literally saved my life. I have horrible anxiety. I can’t get a job whilst not on medication. Citalopram is great, I don’t have any side effects from it that I’ve noticed. I don’t know what I would do without it. Probably stay in the house all day"

Aish (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 11, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "After being prescribed and taking citalopram, my life has changed in 3 short days. It may take up to 4-6 weeks for some people to feel the effects but I felt them very quickly. I have serious panic attacks and stomach acid issues that have made my life excruciating due to drug use. The drug keeps my negative thoughts and feelings (anxiety and depression) at bay ; stopping the release of the very painful stomach acid which is ruining my life. It’s the only thing that has worked. Again, only 3 days in so still waiting any potentially side effects in future."

Tyyrantgod (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I took 20 mg of Celexa during college for anxiety and depression and it helped tremendously. I quit taking it for a couple of year after college, but began it again after I got married. I noticed that this time around it affected my sex drive (lower) and made me more tired, but nothing super terrible. After my 2nd child was born my Dr upped me to 40mg because of anxiety, and the side affects were awful. Super tired- asleep by 6-7pm every night- super low sex drive and inability to climax. It was very frustrating. I guess my body chemicals changed over the years and especially after pregnancies. On Wellbutrin now in stead of Celexa, so we'll see how that goes,"

bew3912 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Celexa has been great ! I got hit with extreme depression/anxiety out of nowhere , and let me tell you I felt like I was dying . Day 1-5 I wanted to give up, but everyone said stick with it you’ll see a difference ! I’m now on day 14 and I no longer cry all day everyday , and I can see my mood getting better ! Although it doesn’t help my anxiety, it really helps with depression! I can only hope it goes up from here! If you’re scared to try it because of the reviews (as I was ) don’t ! Just do it ! It’ll change your life ! Good luck !"

Stressedgirl (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had a breakdown after the birth of my daughter and partner leaving me about 4 years ago. However I think I had been a silent sufferer for long before. Anxiety became all consuming and I was experiencing panic attack’s and suicidal thoughts. I was lucky to receive fantastic support from the NHS and family/ friends. My doctor was truly amazing and even though I was sceptical about taking antidepressants I gave this medicine a try. It saved my life. I took the medicine for 6 months, when I started to forget to take it, I gradually weaned myself off. Thankfully I have not needed to take it again since- knowing that it’s there if I ever needed to, is a real comfort for me. If this medicine has been suggested to you give it a try. And stick at it through the first couple of months before you write it off completely. Treatment is a very individual thing and what will work for one will not necessarily work for another. But this medicine has truly changed my life."

RachE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "A couple months before summer started last year I started experiencing anxiety attacks. I would feel like my throat was closing or my heart would start pounding at an irrational thought. I cried and I cried at the thought of starting not only another medication but an anti-depressant. I waited months until I had an unprovoked anxiety attack in my therapists office, then I knew that I had to do something. My doctor started me on half a 10mg pill, the lowest dose. I was so afraid of the side effects starting but I really only had a headache and some dizziness the first couple days. I honestly can’t complain about this pill. I have not had one panic attack since. Maybe it might not work for you and the search for the right pill will continue but maybe it will work. Best of luck to anyone trying to get better for their mental health."

Oldshoes (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was dealing with Anxiety for about a month and went to see my doctor when it started to really take over my day to day life. She prescribed be a very low dosage of 5mg. When starting the medication my anxiety sky rocketed, which on day 3 of the medication turned into panic attacks (had 5 in one day) which made me go to emerg. I thought this medication was not for me. When I called my doctor she told me to bump to 10mg and after 2 weeks get myself to 20mg. I have now been on this medication for over a month and it has been wonderful. If you are reading this, remember that it WILL get better. Please give this medication time. Get as much sleep as you can and talk to someone. Remember that if you feel worse, it is likely due to your body adjusting to the medication, and DO NOT read the negative reviews. I did and it does not help especially in the anxious mindset."

October92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "It’s daunting when your anxious about taking meds isn’t it... a million thoughts of thinking “what if”. You know I’m right because that was me for many years, scared to take that one tablet a day in fear of what might happen! But I did and I stuck with it and I’ve had the BEST 6 years of my life! So please please try it, if your scared make sure you have company with you as I found this helped me, try meditation- do everything you can to help relax whilst starting your meds. You will be ok, it’s just side effects and they will not last ❤️ Light and love! YOU CAN DO THIS!"

Emzy (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 26, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This drug is amazing for my anxiety I could not servive with out it So much better then benzodiazepines Starting is very hard with side affects but stick to it and they all go away I am happy now and I am my self after 5 year of fighting anxiety Great drug"

Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I never realised I was ill. I thought my moods were just part of what my parents called my character. I have always had severe up and downs, an inability to make decisions and my PMS cost me two weeks every month. During that time I started fights, cried as if the world was ending and felt utterly useless. During the worst days of my PMS I thought about ways to kill myself. I have struggled with depression and anxiety my entire adult life. I blamed my ‘weak character’ for this. I have been on Citalopram 20mg for almost two months and I feel like a normal human again. I never thought life could feel this good. This drug saved my life. I have no side effects."

Becks (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "So I posted on the 11th November onto 5th day. It’s been a crazy ride. It’s now 6 weeks since I started 10mg for horrific anxiety and panic. I was the worst patient medication in the first two weeks that I was taking it but I’m glad I have stuck this out. First two weeks was heightened anxiety (prepare yourself for it) and sickness. Moods were up and down I felt numb. But now they have all worn off and I have never felt as calm as I do. I had suicidal thoughts and everything before citalopram. It’s an amazing drug for me anyway. I have a 1 year old and I’m a only parent. Things get tough but my agitation has calmed down, I’m more patient and can get on with day to day life again!!"

Shanwales97x (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "THIS MEDICATION HAS CHANGED MY LIFE. Honestly, I've suffered with panic disorder for years and I've always had general anxiety too. At the start of the year my panic attacks were happening several times a day and I was very suicidal. My mum and Nan are both on citalopram (celexa) and recommended it to me. Not gonna lie, the first and second week was hard (started on 20mg) as my anxiety was heightened and my panic attacks were worse and I felt shattered all the time. But I'm now on week 4 and *touch wood* I haven't had a panic attack in almost 2 weeks, I no longer feel anxious and if I do start to feel anxious I can quickly get myself out of it. Highly recommend for anyone that is a sufferer. This medication is my freedom."

SAM (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "Was scared to start meds, and debated for a month. Was crying every day from anxiety which was leading to depression. The first month was awful, tired, panic attacks and feeling like I wouldn’t get better. I am now 6 months in and feel almost back to my old self."

Jlfrost (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Prescribed 20mg a day for moderate anxiety. Took the first at 10pm, just before I went to bed. After I got into bed I lay there....and lay there...and lay there. No sleep came, felt myself becoming increasingly anxious and my ears were ringing. After drifting into a semi sleep, I woke sharply at 3.30am to a bout of diarrhoea, before vomiting at 7am. Endured the most horrendous 24 hours of my life afterwards and took 3 days (obviously I didn't take another dose) to eat a proper meal again. Please make sure you challenge your Doctor about whether this is right for you. Whilst no doubt if you can manage the side effects it can work, be also wary about the long term effects and the withdrawal symptoms. If it's just moderate anxiety, CBT is probably better - some Doctors are too easy to prescribe without even explaining the side effects or understanding just how horrible they can be."

TWL (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I have been on citalopram 10mg for nearly 2 weeks for anxiety and panic and the first week the side effects were pretty bad. Nausea/ lack of appetite and weight loss, drowsiness, general lethargy and lack of motivation to do anything/ not wanting to go out were my main side effects. However, after exactly a week these subsided and I am feeling much better in myself and my appetite has returned and I am putting the weight back on and anxiety has certainly decreased. The other day at work I experienced a panic attack which was worse than I have ever had before, tingling in the hands and feet, severe sweating, feeling like I was going to pass out and heart rate of 140bmp. However, after a few minutes and deep breaths I returned to normal and haven't experienced this since. Does anyone have similar experiences to this with starting citalopram and the panic attack? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I'm back! I originally commented on 1/17/17 on my early experience on citalopram. Almost 2 years later I have moved my rating from 9 to 10. This med has been godsend for me. It did wonders for my anxiety which I believe then ended my depression! I started at 20 mg a day and am down to 15mg. I also take about 25 mg of a anti-histimine (doxylamine)at bed. Combo of both I sleep great. Now that I sleep 8-9 hours soundly anxiety and depression gone! My experience too many positive to write all! Side effects for me are weight gain (because I'm happy and hungry lol) about 25 lbs. Not ideal but I'll take it. Also strangely I am emotionally flat. Never cry and really don't get sad. This is a mentioned side effect. I'll confirm it in my case. Weird, but beats crying everyday. Important to minimize alcohol intake. It neutralizes benefit. I try to minimize drinking to once or twice a week. Again, can't say enough about the med. Give it a month, God bless you!"

Njehealed (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2018