User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 1,936 ratings on Drugs.com. 67% of those users who reviewed Citalopram reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety and Stress
9.5
Summary of Citalopram reviews 7.5 1,936 reviews

Reviews for Citalopram

Msmich · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I started on Citalopram January 2017 after having panic attacks, anxiety and delayed grief. I was scared of the side effects so only took half of a 20mg pill. I didn't notice any side effects really but felt so much better, about 5 weeks later I felt almost normal. I stayed on 10mg for 2 years never increasing it and decided I would try to wean off it. I was only off the drug for at most 6 weeks when my anxiety and panic came back really bad. I was also very emotional and felt like I had attachment anxiety. Back on Citalopram 20mg for a few weeks then down to 10mg for 2 and half years. Tried to come off again and low and behold panic and anxiety after about 6 weeks off. This is now and I've been back on 10mg for 4 weeks and I'm still getting anxious but no panic as yet.Think I might need a higher dose. Only long term effects are sometimes I don't feel much, hard to get that excited about anything and it effects my libido but its better than the god awful panic.”

Judy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “It took just over 5 weeks for 20mg dose to work to calm my anxiety. During those weeks I was in a terrible state so frightened and unable to sleep I really thought I was losing my mind. So many times I thought of stopping but decided I would give it 6 weeks and I'm glad I did. The strange thing is at 3 weeks I had 2 or 3 good days and thought I was making good progress but then I went backwards. I decided to score each day out of 10 and hovered around 2 for a long time but I gradually started to improve and the score increased. I'm writing this to give hope to anyone struggling in the early weeks. I now feel like the old me, my mood is good, I don't dwell on negative thoughts and I sleep much better.”

Murph92 April 28, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “First time writing something like this I have struggled with anxiety and racing thoughts mixed with depression for a long time to the point where I couldn’t even leave my own house scared of my own thoughts. I refused to take antidepressants for so long thinking I could handle it but sometimes it’s a bit too much as you need balance in your own mind. So it’s now the 2nd day on citalopram 10mg I have noticed I have been yawning a lot, don’t feel nausea as of yet anxiety hasn’t changed a little more tired than usual but that’s probably due to the stress but it’s only early days. I will keep you guys posted for the people who want to take it. Trust me when I say this I get scared each time I take a tablet but I tell myself that I want my life back and I don’t want to struggle so much anymore. If this tablet can help me in some way then let’s do it you’ve got this!”

Nb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 4, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “This medication brought me out of such a dark place. I have struggled with severe anxiety which had manifested into severe depression so I started 20mg of celexa at night. At first I took 10mg for one week and let me tell you, my side effects were AWFUL. I couldn’t sleep, my anxiety was horrific, I had brain fog all day, and my brain was going a mile a minute. However, after 2 or 3 weeks the side effects went away almost completely, and now I have none. I am so much less anxious of a person, and just overall way more happy and outgoing! I used to be so anxious about everything but now I feel like I can handle whatever is thrown my way! So yes while the first couple weeks can be horrific, for me it was all worth it as this medication truely does work!”

Lee Lee · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 24, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I started this medication in 2009 and started with 20mg. Last summer I went down to 10 mg. I started off ok and was still having some anxiety. Fast forward to March 28, 2020 and I had a full blown panic attack and thought I was dying. This happened at 3:00 am. I had my husband call 911. Thought I was having a heart attack. I started the next day on 20 mg. It’s. Now been over 7 weeks and I’m not 100 % but I’m doing so much better. You have to bare with the some symptoms, headache, A little off. Hold on it will get better, I promise. This anxiety and panic attacks, I wouldn’t wish on anyone! Take care of yourself. Also use an app to help you stay calm.”

Edog February 2, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “Just wanna know I’ve taken Celexa 2 years ago for 3 to 4 months and after I felt like I was fixed! Fast forward to now and my anxiety has never been as bad as it is now... so I’m back on celexa day 5 and I get this crazy heart beat feeling in my chest and crazy hot flashes feels like my skin is burning.. I just wanna know if it gets any better because I didn’t have this the first time. Can anyone relate to the side effects I’m having”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I’m on day 6. I’m experiencing really uneasy feeling in head, nausea, worse anxiety. Hoping this goes away as I’m at my wits end! Has anyone else experienced like I say this weird uncomfortable feeling in there head/ eyes”

Anonymous January 29, 2021

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I'd taken celexa 10mg in my teens. I got off celexa when I reached my 20s. At 26 years old that's when panic attacks started. It was so bad I couldn't leave house as I was afraid I would get dizzy and faint if I went any where. I started back on celexa, not sure if I was 20mg or 10mg. Because DR. prescribed 20mg but I think I cut them in half to 10mg. Celexa worked great, the attacks had went away. From what I remember I had no side effects from taking Celexa before. I took it for 2 years and got off. I'm now 32 years old and the panic attacks started again. Today is my 2nd day on celexa 20mg. Side effects are horrible. I feel weird and having panic attacks. Hands, feet sweat, trembling, heart racing, numbness. I've been reading reviews of others are going through the same and they are saying to stick through it as it's great outcome. I called Dr and suggested I half pill to 10mg and take at night instead of morning. I pray for all those facing this battle. We'll get through this in Jesus name.”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2021

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “Week 5 & I feel human again. I had all of the side effects, increased anxiety, panic attacks, no appetite, diarrhoea, headache, nausea & just not feeling connected to my brain (really spacey) but today is week 5 & I actually laughed & felt a lot better! I prayed that I would feel some light & it’s here. I’m glad I didn’t give up, I thought I’d feel awful forever but they’re definitely working & I feel like my old self again.”

Man11 January 3, 2021

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I had a few bad anxiety attacks and my doctor put me on Zoloft which was the worse experience with a medication I’ve ever had. I had ton of side effects and despised the drug. The doctor urged me to try celexa and I’m so glad I did. I’ve had zero side effects while on this anxiety medicine and never felt better. I’ve had one episode since I’ve been on this I felt that I was getting stressed but that was short lived. I have completely stopped worrying about little things I shouldn’t be worrying about and my anxiety levels are almost zero. It’s amazing things that I use to stress about doesn’t even bother me anymore. So glad I tried this medication.”

BubbaSpartan October 12, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I started Celexa during COVID-19. I always had high anxiety but COVID pushed me over the edge. My anxiety got to the point that I ended up in the hospital with a panic attack. My doctor started me on 20 mg of Celexa. The side effects were a little rough at first and included nausea, some random spasms, trouble sleeping and a feeling of falling shortly after sleep. However, after about 2 weeks they subsided. The positive far out weigh the negatives. My anxiety is under control now. I'm able to live my life without constant worry. Things that used to be major stressors are now tolerable. I sometimes have to be a little careful because I feel like I'm too comfortable and don't worry enough. The one major long term side effect has been the lack of sex drive. Everything functions fine but my drive has been greatly reduced. I also feel like my emotions are slightly muted whereas before I was felt emotions very deeply, now they are slightly less intense.”

Thankfulforthis · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 29, 2017

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I have been taking this medication since I was 19 due to panic attacks, anxiety & dissociation that came from my brother being diagnosed with a terrible mental health disorder. Since taking it, It's worked like a charm, I'm now 25 and am still on the medication. This SSRI is so mild and gentle & I have 0 side effects. Please try this medication! My panic attacks are gone, my anxiety is minimal and my dissociation has disappeared. Please don't be ashamed to take something your brain may need. I'm now a Registered Nurse & I'm so calm and happy and have my life back from anxiety and panic. Please give this a try! Oh and I'm currently on 20mg. Also, remember there is always hope. Praying for everyone who reads this.”

Ruk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 21, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “Started on citalopram after my IBS symptoms would not settle. Tried 10mg as a last resort. My IBS is completely gone but I also feel so much less stressed. Things that would have upset me are now like water on a ducks back. My job is stressful and last year I found it very hard. This year with citalopram I feel like I can cope with pretty much anything. I feel great mentally and physically and I haven’t noticed any side effects. I tell everyone that I’m on a miracle drug!”

JessTheMess February 26, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “To update from my last review: I've been taking it for a month now. I did only take half (the 5 MG) for a week and now I'm on the 10. I'm finding my moods to be SO much better already and I can describe my feeling as being "lighter"... like a grey cloud that was over me for whatever reason is just lighter and I'm more excited to do social things again. A relationship made my anxiety worse, then I would be moody, that would cause issues and it was a cycle so this has really helped my home life and work life too as things don't bother me. I will say ... I do feel less motivated at work - I guess just a side affect. My highs are still high tho, my lows just aren't as low. I'm friendlier and more positive at work (I just don't feel like doing that much of the boring monotony). Lastly, I can't tell a difference in my sex drive which is good. If you're anxious or moody, or just feel some heavy unexplained cloud, I definitely recommend trying this!”

Anonymous March 25, 2008

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: “I responded after one week. The side effects (lethargy, some bowel problems) are the only reason i didnt rate this medicine a 10. After 44 years of excessive anxiety and depression I finally feel like I can be "myself" instead enslaved to unreasonable thoughts and frustrations. Ironically, I avoided these types of meds for years, instead "self medicating" with alcohol and cynicism. Had I switched to this years ago maybe I would still be married to a wonderful woman. Sad, but true.”

Anonymous August 31, 2009

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I work for a large Fire Department. I was having a tough time with some bad calls. No sleep, always feeling like I'm in trouble, like I'm drowning and no one can help me. My doctor put me on Celexa and life came back. I worry about the things I need to be worried about and don't stress about the things that shouldn't stress me. I feel "normal" again. I believe it saved my career.”

nellie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 18, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: “I want to write this review to anyone struggling with OCD. I have been struggling with OCD for years, and was put on Celexa. Let me tell you, it helps immensely. It did not work right away, and there are some initial side effects (nausea yuck!). I take it in the morning 40 mg. My OCD doctor is wonderful (highly recommend seeing a specialist in OCD). And she stated that for OCD this drug is safe to even go up even higher dose if necessary. I want to write this to give people HOPE. I was in a very very dark place with my OCD, I felt I would never escape the pain and discomfort of OCD. It did not work right away (which is normal), but once I got up to 30mg after a month or so I started to see improvement. This medication SAVED ME!! Truly Thank you to whoever created this medication, it is life saving for those of us who struggle with OCD and depression. Please anyone out there who has OCD starting this, be patient with yourself, find a good doctor, and know that there IS HOPE!!!”

Celexa User · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: “Yes, yes, and yes....Celexa has let me live again. I've tried all other medications for depression with no results at all. My energy level has improved and I am now doing more activities now. My concentration and memory has improved a lot. No more waking up in the morning not wanting to live, and no more ocd, or constantly checking things over and over again. I am sharing my experience with this medicine because there might be someone else like myself that has major depression that is struggling...”

Anonymous November 26, 2019

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I have been using celexa for a few weeks and I have seen a dramatic change in my anxiety and stress levels. Before taking this I would wake up every single morning in a state of panic and anxiety and since taking celexa I feel calm and alive again I can function I feel like I finally have my life back I feel like myself again. I feel soo wonderful!!!!!!!”

Tony · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 3, 2020

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “I take 10 mg daily for about 18 months, it has helped enormously . It’s the only medication I have. I exercise daily which helps. Overall I am pleased with the results but suggest you do not drink alcohol, reduce coffee intake, exercise, sleep over 7 hours and ensure you are self aware not to put oneself in stressful situations. Life is too short not to enjoy the journey . It can and it does get better but educate yourself on what you have and the triggers and your responses to life events”

Keighlar · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2019

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I started taking Citalopram about about 3 weeks ago for high blood pressure, increasing panic attacks, and generalized inability to keep my adrenaline down to healthy levels. I've been fighting my doctor about taking mood altering medication because I've been on the slew of Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, etc. a couple of decades ago. They didn't help and withdrawal was horrific. I am so glad that he talked me into trying Citalopram. The first day was really rough - gastrointestinal issues that rivalled my IBS, but ALL day. However, by the second and third day, that went away and a feeling of general well-being started to replace the panic. It's only been a few weeks, and I know many of the guides say you won't notice a difference right away, but I was lucky. I did start to notice a change after 1 week. So far, it's just this side of miraculous for me. I think I'd forgotten what hope and happiness felt like.”

Anonymous January 29, 2010

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: “I've been taking Celexa for about 2 months now and my life is completely different. I have been struggling with depression on and off for about 14 years now. It was getting really bad for me, I was at the point where I couldn't control my emotions at all. It made me very drowsy at first, but that subsided after a couple of weeks. I feel so much better inside and people around me can tell a distinct difference too. I like the fact that it doesn't make me emotionless, just that my emotions aren't so strong and out of control. I still get sad, but that is a normal human emotion. I am so thankful that there are ways to make people like me feel better. Depression is a disease, not a choice.”

bill71 September 23, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “I have been on Celexa since January of this year and the medicine has been awesome. Stress, anxiety and panic attack free. Celexa gave me my life back. I was scared to take it at first because of all the stuff I read on the Internet. My advice to anyone starting any SSRI is not to read all the horror stories on the internet. It will just make it worse, believe me. All I can say is I never want to go back to the way it was. That being said if I have to take Celexa the rest of my life so be it.”

INdigo · Taken for 10 years or more February 29, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “So, I was first on Celexa from 2001 till 2016 I felt it wasn't working so my dr prescribed Venlafaxine/Effexor XR. I ended up in the emergency room with a heart rate of 185bpm. Anyway.....I should have just stuck with Celexa. I am back on it after trying Prozac which made me nauseous for a year and gave me more anxiety. Celexa works for me. It takes away my anxiety. Its safe for me and I'll never go off of it or try another again. These past two years have been so bad. Getting off of Effexor brought me to my knees.”

Shaunna · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “Okay so this is my first day taking it and it’s crazy I already feel a difference in my group today I was talking like crazy and wasn’t nervous at all and I feel like I have sooo much energy but I’m also tied bc I haven’t been sleeping bc of how much stress I’ve been under so I’ll update Next Wednesday to see how it is! I’m so excited to not feel so nervous all the time and depressed I’m so happy!”

Ray · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 21, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have been taking this citalopram medication since last year summer 2019. Each time I have taken it, it has really helped me calm down for my anxiety. This year I have been taking it since February as I started feeling anxious and weird again. Like I feel like I don't know where I am and what room I'm in and overthink any little unwell feeling I get. Particularly with my nose throat and chest. It has been so much better these last 6 months however these last few days I feel anxious again and I do not know why. Does this mean I need to increase my dose or just carry on with the 20mg I have been taking these past few months?”

Mat March 9, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I spent 6 months deciding whether or not to start taking medication. I had a range of concerns (especially as the forum tell a wide range of experiences). I am happy that I have started taking Citalopram and although it has only been 3-4 weeks I have noticed an on-going change. At first I had bouts of feeling VERY tired (lasted an hour plus) and then felt confused and hazy. Still able to function but a little removed. I did find that my anxiety was raised from time to time, but things have leveled off and I find that I feel the same without the same amount of stress/anxiety. I feel more like my younger self. I still care about things, but can be more relaxed. I used to be a little compulsive/anxious and now have a more balanced perspective. I don't feel as stressed or upset about things that would (and shouldn't) stress/upset me. I would recommend Citalopram and would suggest that if you start taking it that you need to prepare for sticking with it for at least 4 weeks.”

Suzie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2020

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: “Celexa didn’t work for me and my anxiety and depression. I bore with the side effects for four weeks (splitting headaches, inability to sleep or stay asleep, night sweats, cold symptoms, a feeling of dis-reality I hadn’t previously had, loss of all libido, skin numbness and feeling drained of all energy) but they did not begin to alleviate. I thought nothing could be worse than the depression and anxiety but I was wrong. The treatment in this case was worse than the condition. Now tapering off and trying something different.”