User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 10 reviews 43 medications

Hot Flashes 4 reviews 19 medications

Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1135 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I am 33 years old and have been depressed for as long as I can remember. This year I took the leap and accepted the fact that I need medications to continue living a functional life. I was prescribed 20mg Celexa once a day. For the first two months things were getting better I did experience some insomnia but that subsided after two weeks. I eventually plateaued and was given a new dose of 40mg. Not sure how much it has helped, I constantly feel tired and lack motivation. I will looking at other meds when I see my doc next."

Kyle6440 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Not a hit with me, I'm afraid. Prescribed for my depression (doctor neglected to ask about any further symptoms and I was too embarrassed to share about my intrusive thoughts at the time). Caused some serious ticks including constant yawning, restless leg and twitching eye. I was twitching so badly I couldn't get to sleep, and I was exhausted constantly while on it (I was up for 3 days once!) The worst part was probably the severe sexual dysfunction, which, a year on, is still lingering around like a bad smell. I still struggle with physical pleasure, and to stay mentally and emotionally engaged in sex. It did dull my depression and intrusive thoughts to some extent, but it also dulled everything else. UK based, so prescribed by NHS GP"

SexuallyDysfunctionalinSeattle (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

For Depression: "I take Citalopram Hydrobromide 10mg for OCD, anxiety, and depression. I get really agitated when I skip or miss a dose so I really try not to do that. It doesn't seem to help much for my OCD, anxiety, and depression but it really helps keep me from snapping at someone on a bad day. When I don't take my medication, it just makes me cry out of nowhere. I was watching tv once and all of a sudden I started bawling my eyes out! I highly suggest this medication for keeping yourself calm even if it does not help with the rest!"

Alois September 20, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I took Celexa for a yr. It gave me energy an made me anxious . I gained 40 pds and it made me yawn alot. I went off of it."

Aderline gurl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking celexa over a year ago for anxiety and stress. I had some mild side effects the first week, but it has been great since then. I started on 10mg and switched to 20mg after a month and have been at that prescription since. It probably took at least a month before I started noticing a difference. I take it at night and don't have any troubles sleeping or any other side effects. This medicine has completely changed my perspective. I'm much more calm and just happier all around. I used to be very high strung and easily stressed, but not anymore! Highly recommend!"

LoveCelexa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was put on these for depression and anxiety. I didn't like them, everytime I stood up I felt dizzy. They gave me a terribly dry mouth especially at night. I also found to not have much energy with these and was hard to get out of bed in the morning. I now take sertraline and have noticed a big difference in my mood but I can't stop yawning."

Angelleo September 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered from anxiety and depression most of my life. I was just afraid to ask for help. Finally at age 37 I started on citalopram 20mg. What an amazing difference this has made in my life. I only wish I would have started sooner. I have no side effects other than the first 2 weeks."

Feeling-better (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 18, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am currently prescribed 20mg once daily. I still feel anxious at random times but it is much more controlled. The depression is what is concerning. I feel doom and gloom over what I rationally know is a trivial matter at least once a month. I feel like dying half the time."

Tiffaney M (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I'm 18 and on my third day of celexa, I've had depression 3+ years now and have gone unmedicated. I finally agreed to try celexa 30MG and .25MG of xanax. Changing my life and cannot wait for even more improvement. Only issues so far is some insomnia and CONSTANT yawning but it's a small price to pay!"

Em98 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

For Agitation: "I went to my Primary Care physician b/c I was constantly irritated with my boyfriend and wondered if there was anything that might help make me get less irritated less often. The doctors said he had had success with several patients improving irritability with Citalopram. I never really felt any big change, but within a few weeks, the irritability was drastically reduced. The anger was much more in check. Someone else described it this way...life just seemed smoother/easier to manage. My attitude became more positive. I became much more content with my life overall."

Girl in the Park September 15, 2016

For Depression: "I have been taking 50mg of Citalopram daily for about two years now for GAD and depression and have made a significant improvement in all aspects of my life. I have however experienced several side effects: Lethargy/Fatigue Loss of Concentration Memory Loss Yawning Nightmares Increased Sweating Insomnia Augmented Essential Tremor I think the overall efficacy of the drug outweighs the relatively minor side effects."

FrankieLilyPell September 13, 2016

For Depression: "I have been diagnosed as manic depressive, A.D.D. & suffer from high levels of stress & anxiety. I was on Zoloft from 2004 (13y.o.) to 2013 (22), with my highest mg being 150 or 175. Worked ok, but made me zobified. I still had panic attacks & my mood was off. I've been on Citalopram for a month now, just 20mg, & it's helped a LOT. After having my son in 2013, I decided to stay off meds (weaned myself at 22 weeks bc of risk of defects), figuring I might be able to do this on my own. I noticed irritability immediately after he was born. It took me a while to convince myself I needed meds again, when I had an awful panic attack & couldn't sleep. Being on Citalopram has decreased my irritability, & made me a lot less nervous. I'm even working!"

Kmen926 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

For Depression: "Had been taking citalopram for over a year for depression. I found i did have sleepless night and hot sweats and dizzy spells. but my mood was so much better that i felt it was worth taking them. I suffer constantly with pulsital tinnitus and suffer with labrinthytus which caused the depression, but i have got use to this now and it does not affect my life like it did at first. So stop taking it, have not had any for over a week so far and no side affect from stopping so far. I would recommend this medicine for anyone with depression and would not think twice about taking it again if ever i got as low as i was before taking it."

HJPHJP September 10, 2016

For Depression: "Have been on this many times in the past. Whenever I go back to it, it always works wonders. Each depression I have had is different - this time it has manifest itself with severe irritation, anger and uncontrollable worrying. Been back on them for nearly one week and all I can say is I feel like a new woman. More energy, no irritation, no angry thoughts, hardly any worrying and appetite appropriate (was out of control before)."

penelopecustard September 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I felt like a zombie on this medication, gained weight, had no sex drive, and basically walked around not knowing what was going on. Definitely wouldn't recommend based on my own experience."

Ang.S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking the off brand for over 2 weeks and I'm starting to feel the anxiety reducing effects. No nausea or GI problems thus far. For the first 3 days I felt a little out of it around an hour and a half after taking it, so I started taking it at night and that has completely resolved the issue. Started on 10mg for around 9 days to get accustomed to it and have been on the 20 mg for 2 days now. My anxiety wasn't severe (diagnosed w mild anxiety-stress related) & no panic attacks. I think the type of anxiety/severity will influence the way the drug acts on you, but it's been good for me so far :)"

Anon0000099 September 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I never write reviews but have read a thousand reviews about anxiety and depression. This drug Celexa saved me changed my life and I have been on everything under the sun this has been the only thing to stop my racing thoughts my anxiety and depression. Try this! My only issues is difficult reaching orgasm I fan just difficult but I can deal with that! I take 30mg a day."

EricB73 September 5, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started on 10mg after quitting drinking and starting AA and I had to increase my dose to 20. So I've been on 20 for a week and I was on 10 for about 3 weeks before. I feel great. My anxiety level is so low and manageable and so is my negative thinking and my anger towards everyone. I have the right perspectives just couldn't apply them before and now I find it easy to. I don't freak out, get mad, irritated and frustrated like I used to. Life is easier to handle but you still need tools. So far my sex drive is still there tho it might take a little more effort to orgasm but not bec I don't feel it as much but bec it's hard to reach a certain level fast enough. My cravings for alcohol and sweet foods is very low. I'm motivated."

EvaGurl (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been talking celexa for over a month and have noticed a big difference in anxiety and moods. I have also lost weight while taking it. I never feel hungry and when I do eat, I don't eat near as much. (I've heard this effects everyone differently) it did make me yawn continuously when first starting it, and I took it at bedtime due to afraid it would make me sleepy. That side effect did go away. I still have great energy during the day, doesn't make me want to sleep or feel draggy. Doesn't effect my sleep of a night. Only bad thing I have to say is I noticed a huge difference quickly with sex drive. Other than that, great drug and as I said before, every drug effects people differently so that may not be an issue with someone else. :)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Best. I started taking this and thought oh this isn't going to help me... It was maybe 2 months in and I didn't feel different. After about 4 months taking it I was a completely different person when it came to my anxiety and panic attacks. I completely stopped having them and I was just overall a more stress free person. By far one of my favorites.. I recommend this to anyone that has very bad anxiety and doesn't want to be on something addictive like benzodiazepines."

Suezi q August 29, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "This drug literally saved my life. I had bad anxiety and couldn't go out of the house. I didn't want to take it at first in fear of losing control and having this drug take over my thoughts. I decided to give it a shot at 10mg... Took a few nights of sleeplessness, tossing turning, body sweats. I didn't give up on it ... Then suddenly i got used to it and had to up my dose to 20mg. I began to feel normal again. I was able to go out without feeling like I was gonna have an anxiety attack. I was able to get a job as a paramedic. Going on 4 years as a medic! No anxiety attacks! My moods have been stable. I'm glad I stuck with it. I never miss a dose. Don't be ashamed or scared of your mental health. Take it seriously"

Cit-user August 29, 2016

For Agitation: "Good except for withdrawal going off of it"

Mix (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 29, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I want to say that before Celexa i was very depressed and my anxiety level was very high. I't been on 20mg of Celex, for the past 2 weeks now and i can tell you, its worked wonderfully. I don't feel depressed my anxiety is much better than i have felt in a long time I haven't even had a crying spells like i used to for the past two weeks now. I now actually do what i plan to do without changing my mind like i normally do. I recommend this med it has worked for me. I have more energetic and happy and I't might not work for you but I'ts worth trying!"

ccv August 28, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on these tablets now for about 2 an a half years, I hear all these stereo types of comments all the time, but different people suffer from different types of illnesses. I can honestly say that the intended dosage that I'm currently on is working and therefore my own experience is the drug is fine."

Damian1985sufc (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2016

For Depression: "I was severely depressed with huge mood swings, anxiety and really stressed. When I first started taking these, the initial side effects were overwhelming, so bad that I had to stay off work. They made me more anxious, sick and really dizzy. I also really struggled to sleep if I took them at around teatime. This made me take them every other day or twice a week because they made everything seem worse ( even though I knew deep down they would help) after about 3.5 week of beating around the bush with them I felt no side effects and then took them everyday. After about a week I felt uplifted, that shadow and helplessness gone and it gave me the courage to leave my house and go to the gym. I take them everyday now and I feel better everyday"

Sadmatty (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016