User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation

Hot Flashes
4.2

Summary of Citalopram reviews 7.2 1,379 reviews

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I take the genetic version, Citlopram, 20 mgs once a day and I FINALLY have relief from really bad anxiety and panic attacks! I used Buspar before I started Celexa and I hated it. I wasn't suffering from depression so I didn't understand why my doctor wanted to push an anti depressant on me when there are other things out there for anxiety. She put me on the Buspar and it made me feel awful and just crazy. I gave in and started the Celexa and sure enough my doc was right; it's worked wonders! I sleep better, hardly any anxiety at all, NO panic attacks and I feel myself always smiling and having such a great outlook on life. I just feel... Normal and happy. :)"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "After the side effects wore off (2-4 weeks of occasional insomnia heightened anxiety bathroom issues and no energy) my overall outlook on life was much more positive. I was laughing, taking on more work, taking care of myself and feeling good. I didn’t notice much weight gain but working in construction between a slowed metabolism and the hard work my weight remained within 2 pounds up or down. Unfortunately I had a rare side effect creep up after 3 months of use, it induced TMJ in me to the point I couldn’t eat. I switched to escitalopram and the TMJ subsided but found that escitalopram did not work for me and I actually gained weight very quickly. Mind you I’ve been on Wellbutrin in conjunction with these medications without issue with W."

Radia75 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Originally I was given citalopram for low-level anxiety of dealing with IBS symptoms while at work. I had absolutely no history of panic/anxiety attacks prior to taking this medication, just the nerves of having to run to the bathroom. I ended up thinking I was having a heart attack while (thankfully) at a dr's appointment and was rushed to the hospital via ambulance. Come to find out I had my first panic attack. After that, a week or so later, I spent over 24 hours in a panic cycle that had me incapacitated in bed. I ended up going to the ER again and they told me it was a rare side effect of citalopram and I was immediately taken off of it. I went from no panic ever to now dealing with Panic Disorder for the rest of my life. Miserable."

Levyn (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "It must work because if I accidentally miss a dose, I deal with a lot of depressing and anxious thoughts. The few times it happened I was very depressed and experienced panic attacks on every occasion. Obviously it is effective if it is keeping me from having those symptoms on the daily. One thing I don't enjoy about taking this medication are the constant night sweats and nightmares I get almost every night; requiring me to sleep extra long at night and need extra coffee through the day"

Emily f December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I take 20 mg and I have done so for the last year for depression. I tried to take it before I was going on a drive, actually a four hour drive and it really distorted the whole trip. I felt like I wasn't apart of the traveling experience...it was a really weird I will never take it again before long drive. I had to change my time of when I took it to later in the evening before I went to bed. As it got dark on the drive I noticed how blurry everything had become, I struggled so hard to read the road signs that I normally could more clearly. For me there is no way I could take it at the beginning of the day."

Sharon VA December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started with GAD after I gave birth to my first child. I'd have panic attacks daily. I wouldn't sleep because as I dropped off and wake up gagging for air. This went on for a year without help. I then got to the point I couldn't leave the house and decided to get a doctor out. He started me on 10mg citalopram. I was on these for a good 2 years. It helped with the sleeping and panic attacks but I still left useless and seeing all the bad in life. Doc upped my dose to 20mg and ever since I started on them 2 years ago life's been brilliant. I enjoy life , I see the good in living. Don't wait to call the doctor. And don't just stick to a does that's getting you by."

Riolouise204u2 November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on citalopram a couple of times. I have to say for me it has been a blessing. The first four weeks getting this drug into my system were HELL. I have never felt so terrible in all my life but I did know once I got through the initial ‘adjustment’ period I would see the rewards and that I am. See this drug through, it is hard work but you have to weather the storm to see the rainbow"

Jembec (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I take celexa 20 mg for Anxiety and Depression. The medicine helps greatly for alleviating daily anxiety/depression. Everyone I know however has side effects when taking it. For me, I only started getting PMS after I began celexa. For men it also very commonly causes sexual dysfunction."

Paigek (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Celexa is my miracle drug! I'm on the generic Citalopram. It is the only thing that has worked for my severe anxiety due to adjustment disorder. I was previously on Prozac which only made the anxiety worse but Celexa calms me and makes me easier to be around. My moods are much more balanced and I have a joyful outlook on life. I'm on 20mg and I am so thankful for Celexa!"

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Celexa is my miracle drug! I'm on the generic Citalopram. It is the only thing that has worked for my severe anxiety due to adjustment disorder. I was previously on Prozac which only made the anxiety worse but Celexa calms me and makes me easier to be around. My moods are much more balanced and I have a joyful outlook on life. I'm on 20mg and I am so thankful for Celexa!"

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Never taken antidepressants before my therapist encouraged me to try them. Her and the doc both suggested Celexa and 20 mg to start. Doc said I would probably experience headaches and nausea. Within 20 minutes of taking my first dose I had an extreme skull crushing headache and suddenly felt so tired (I had just woken up so I wasn’t) I laid down and felt stiff and unable to move. I felt so dizzy laying down and drugged. 2 hours later I was hit with trembling, hot flashes, vomiting , diarrhea, dizziness, confusion, seeing dark spots, slurred speech, pounding heart and trouble taking deep breathes. I felt like I was dying and almost called 911 because I couldn’t do anything to lessen the symptoms. It gave me serotonin syndrome. Never again."

Mrswilliams92 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I normally don't do reviews but I have to tell you what a difference this medication has made for me. I was on Paxil for years, regular and control release. I didn't understand why I felt so down when I was taking such a strong dose of SSRI. I hesitantly changed to Citalopram at the suggestion of my doctor and within days it had changed my life. I was no longer depressed, I felt my mood change drastically. My doctor and counsellor have suggested that the Paxil was actually doing me harm, because the new SSRI would not have normally worked that quickly. I have been on this medication for almost 3 months now and I feel great. I highly recommend it, and also for those who are still fighting to find the right med for you, keep fighting!!!"

MzKaye (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I had tried numerous anti depressants before settling on Citalopram. It had the least unpleasant side effects for me. I have taken a small dose daily for approx 5 years. It seems to help me to not feel so low. I'm not sure if some of it is possibly psychosomatic eg a placebo affect. But I'll keep using it as long as it seems to help. My type of depression has been long term since 18. I'm now 53."

P&D November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Don't let my rating scared you away from trying Celexa. It worked WONDERS for my anxiety! I could sleep again and go places and do things I couldn't have done without anxiety or panic attacks in over 2 years. Very little side effects and felt the affects immediately. However, 6 months in and I developed horrible stomach pains, swelling, acidity, etc. I've also developed horrible headaches. Stopped it a week and a half ago and all symptoms have vanished. Dr. said it was the Celexa and not a stomach bug that we had thought so we're switching it up. I hate that this happened since it really was a blessing and a relief to my life! Good luck!"

Socks245 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have always had anxiety my entire life my dad also suffers so guess that’s where it came from I suffered a lot in social situations always worried I was going to embarrass myself even though I know I have a lot to say for myself and am naturally quite funny but always held back it’s been four weeks on it at 20mg and I am only writing this review as I feel it may help someone that was in my position it has helped me so much. I just feel relaxed talking to people, all the silly situations I use to make up in my head that might happen I don’t do anymore. I just feel like the person I should of been my entire life felt more anxious first two weeks but stuck with it now just feel normal no worry and I can just be myself best thing I ever done"

Sparky2929 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I started taking Citalopram in liquid form from 1 drop to 10 and currently I am on month 5 taking 20 mg a day and yes it has worked, completely stopped my panic attacks. From side effects I thought I couldn't handle the fatique and yawning which were pretty much all the time, however what worked for me is taking this medicine before sleep, I still get heavy dreams but I am not so tired anymore."

BDAA (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I started on 20mg for major depression and anxiety. I did get bloating and nausea for about 3 weeks which was manageable and decreased appetite (good because I'm overweight). It helped but not as much as I'd liked so my doctor moved me to 40mg. Same side effects as before. Nausea went away after 3 weeks. I feel a lot better at this dose. My depression is like 1/10 now and my anxiety has gone down a lot! I'm going out and making friends, I was the kind of person who'd make plans and cancel and be very anxious in social situations. I also get less panic attacks (it takes more than it used to in order to trigger one) This drug saved my life. I don't want to be without it. Just get through the side effects and wait, this won't work overnight."

Sadgirl1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "This is the only antidepressant I have ever taken (and I've tried a lot of them) that has not given me anxiety and jitters. It is too bad the doses don't go up very high and it could work a little better with anxiety than it does but for an antidepressant it is the only one I can tolerate for extended periods of time. So thankful for it. Because I am an addict I can't take benzos and this keeps anxiety under control with a PRN hydroxyzine when it happens anyway."

noreshii October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Have been taking citilopram for about a year . Side effects same as most peeps. Sweating was the most uncomfortable. At some points had to change clothing throughout the day. Misjudged how many pills I had remaining this weekend and ran out. Found myself crying at " car sos" and some daft kiddies cartoon. And I mean in absolute tears. Maybe some may think they are of little help when taking them but this is what it may make you feel if you stop cold turkey. Also take diazepam when I'm really stressed "

Chazbhoyo☘️ October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I am on my second round of celexa. I took it many years ago for a few years, only 10mg a day. It definitely worked but after a few years I decided to get off it. You need to ween yourself off it very slowly if you’ve taken it for a long time. I experienced voices and hallucinations the first couple days going off it completely after I thought I had weened myself enough so I had to ween myself for another month. I had never had symptoms like that in my life. However, I got off of it. Now my depression and anxiety came back for quite a bit so I went back on celexa 20 mg and it is definitely helping. My recommendation is to avoid a lot of caffeine while on this drug or you will notice anxiety increases more so than when you’re not on celexa."

BBCC October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have Dysthymia so I have to take medication all the time. This one is terrible for me. While it kept me from becoming suicidal... well that was the only thing it did. I was so low energy I could barely do anything and couldn't concentrate on anything. I think it's good I don't drive. I took it whenever things were at their worst but had to stop when I became a bit better because it created a ceiling. Stopped it and used techniques given by therapists and I was able to be somewhat functional again."

Emilie B. October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I wanted to share my experience while being on celexa. Before celexa I was a wreck, having racing thoughts and felt like I couldn't get out of bed. I'm a mother of two and a happily married wife. I've suffered with anxiety for about 6 years and I was so scared to get on medication. It wasn't until I seen a constant pattern of me going to the emergency room with panic attacks and the hospital staff knew my name as soon as I walked in! Being on celexa has completely changed my life back to the woman I was. It literally gave my mind a clear focus and now I live in the present. Not worrying about a million and one things. Before I couldn't even communicate because my thoughts would just race and I would be stuck in my own head."

Lyssxoxo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I had forgotten that I had PMDD! I was prescribed citalopram for considerable anxiety and mild depression while I was going through a nasty divorce. I have been on citalopram for a few years now, since about January 2014. I forgot to pick up repeat prescription and I thought as divorce now finished (June 2015) and all good with my life (even accepting normal trial and tribulations of difficult hormonal teenager!) I would be fine and should just get on with it and not worry about taking it anymore. Wow, was I wrong, period overdue and PMDD back as it was at its worst. Needless to say will be back at docs to discuss and continue as there is no way I will come off this until I am post menopausal (soon but until then citalopram)."

KT66 September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Sure just take a pill and your life is going to be good. I went to the doctor for sleep and said I was stressed, so they give me an antidepressant. People don't realize this stuff changes your brain and is bad for you. You just need exercise and good nutrition and it will change your life (I think). I'm only going to try it for two weeks just to feel what people are saying they feel. The doctor should have given me xanax or something simaliar. I've seen some antidepressants do some bad nasty things to people. Not to mention these side effects they cause."

christru22 September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Works great for my general anxiety. I felt like I was trapped in my own body. Couldn't breathe regular, fidgety, brain racing nonstop, chest pain, couldn't sleep, had to run up and down stairs to relax. After 2 months I started to feel a difference. Takes the edge off is all. Doesn't change my mood, doesn't make me sleepy. Only side effect I have is sometimes an hour or so after taking stomach is a little upset....minor tradeoff for being anxiety free. Changed my life. If you are living under a constant cloud of anxiety, please consider this medication. It takes a while to really start working, but for me it has been a saviour."

AnxietyFree September 28, 2017