User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 13 reviews 44 medications

4.5
Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1251 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Citalopram

For Anxiety and Stress: "I suffered my first panick attack in 2015 after finding out I still needed two more classes to graduate college. I'll never forget laying on the floor, not being able to breath, and feeling like the room was closing in around me. At the request of my immediate family, I went to talk to a doctor and realized I had been living with anxiety for quite awhile. My doctor prescribed 10mg of Celexa. I was a little tired the first week or two, but that was the only side effect I experienced. While the 10mg helped some, I still felt a little edgy at times when I really shouldn't have. My doctor upped my dose to 20mg and again, a little tired the first week or so, but I've been golden ever since. I'm me now without the anxiety, thanks to Celexa."

Stressless94 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Terrible experience with this drug. Made mood swings hell of alot worse after only a few weeks. This put me off treatment for a while."

Speed292 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Citalopram has been a life saver for me. I've gone on and off of it over the past 5-6 years, but I've currently been on it for a year straight and it's seriously helped me so much. I have awful, debilitating anxiety. Citalopram has really helped. I still have anxiety, but it is so much more manageable and I'm able to get through the anxiety attacks so much easier and faster than when I'm not on the medication. The only issue is that it has caused severe TMJ for me. It causes me to grind and clench my teeth really bad. I'd honestly rather have TMJ than crippling anxiety, though. I've been on 20 mg for the past year, but was on 40 mg 5 years ago."

CarolynW662255555 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "Just wanted to post an update.....I've been on Citalopram 10mg for 2 weeks now. Panic attacks and anxiety are starting to ease up. Started to feel better by about the 12th day. I hope it keeps getting better. But I'm super happy with how much better I feel already. I didn't have any side effects. I take it in evening after dinner. Usually 6:30pm. I was so scared to start this medicine. But had to because things were getting so bad. So relieved. Good luck. Remember start at low dose if you have anxiety/panic attacks."

Azmom89 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started on taking citalopram 4 weeks ago for anxiety. I felt rubbish with symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, nausea for 9 days then I started to feel so much better. This is the best pick up I have had in ages. My husband said why didn't you start them sooner. I feel so much better. Give them a go....."

Mia Mia April 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I don't understand, I'm new to medicine and 18 years old and taking citalopram. I've done some research, but nothing says anything about being sad. I don't know whats wrong with me. Is this normal for citalopram?"

Cruzzindts April 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I went on Celexa after three years of getting more and more depressed and my anxiety beginning to make it difficult to be at social events or function from day to day. I gave in to Celexa after hitting a low that I cannot explain. I couldn't get out of bed and I determined my life was worthless. I started on 10mg. The first two weeks were bizarre. Headaches, nausea and diarrhea. The anxiety seemed worse. But after 3-4 weeks it's like an ugly cloud lifted and I feel like I have my life back. I upped it to 20mg and I'm staying at 20mg. I never worry about anything - which seems nuts. How can I not worry? I'm unemployed, single, no kids, (I'm 48) yet I feel like everything is okay, and I can move forward on achieving my goals."

Zigzag55 April 13, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking citalopram around 18 months ago, my husband had an affair and I got to the point where I was having a breakdown so Dr started me on 10mg a day, side effects were just tiredness\spaced out really,only lasted a few days After a couple weeks felt better, could control panic attacks, felt calmer, after around 4/5 months it felt like it was wearing off so Dr increased to 20 mg, this dose made me feel terrible for about 10 days was like a zombie Then I felt great so much better, doubling the dose probably wasn't a great idea at the time but was worth it, anyway they work really well for me they just take a while to work. I now take 40 mg a day after falling In a deep depression my husband had another affair but now feeling great x"

?!.,cab bio (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "I developed an awful choking phobia and the citalopram really helped me deal with my anxiety/ phobia and even improve things . I haven't fully recovered yet but so happy with my recovery regardless. I am sure part of this was the drug which seemed to suppress my anxiety subconsciously The first 2 weeks of starting on citalopram were pretty rough. Constant nausea and heightened anxiety. I had a few panic attacks which is a side effects initially ( the irony ) and also teeth clenching was pretty noticeable at first which calmed down I still get night sweats regularly which is definitely this medication. It's annoying but a common side effect noted amongst users. Definitely worthy trade off for its effects though. Overall very happy with it"

mcfcgaz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "After taking this medicine on a few occasions over the years I realised its not for me, anyone I know seems to have the same negative experience I had, it done nothing for my wellbeing, as matter of fact I was sectioned after a few months on it!!! I now completely refuse to take it. I see some other reviews of people on it years saying it's working? How so if you are on it years? It is not supposed to be a brain numbing lifetime drug..there are better ones out there...there is an element of being able to live drug free in this too...I feel like maybe the pharmaceutical companies are getting their pockets lined. People become too dependent on this drug...in my opinion it should be off the market! I am able to live antidepressant free now.."

Julieam April 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I tried this drug for the first time last night and had to discontinue making dinner for my children as I felt so spaced out and my jaw and body would not stop shaking. My doctor put me on 20mg tabs and it seems like what I have heard is similar to an acid trip it's now more than 24 hours later and I still don't feel right maybe it's just not for me ? Any one had an experience like this ?"

Bradg1982 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I take this for depression and generalised anxiety; I do suffer from social anxiety as well, have done for 12 years. Had pretty much no side effects, started on 10mg, up to 20mg, then up to 40mg for 10 days before my period due to suspected PMDD. Then 40mg daily. Have recently dropped back to 20mg, without discussing with doctor, as my depression is still going strong, anxiety is better but still visits and socially? The last few weeks have noticed a big change in my head, for the worse; everyone is 'out to get me / hates me' type thinking, plus I'm starting to depress-eat after finally losing 10kg (yes it was anxiety related stress, but silver lining, I lost 10kg!)."

Sasha liz April 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I finally was brave enough to start this medication for bad anxiety, panic attacks. I have become limited on where I go. Finally so exhausted from pushing myself just to go to the grocery store......I gave in and took 10mg Saturday night. Took just half of a .25 mg xanax with it. Just in case of side effects. Surprisingly nothing bad has happened yet. I know it will take time for then to take effect. And hoping they will soon help. Tonight will be my 4th pill. I will keep you posted. Wish me luck "

Azmom89 April 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Citalopram changed my life. I started taking the drug 10 years ago, and I've been on 20-40mg on and off since then. I'm currently 24 years old, I started having intense panic attacks and anxiety when I was 14. Every other SSRI drug that I've tried has given me that zombie-feeling or bad headaches, but on Citalopram I feel like myself. I am currently taking 20mg. There have been times in my life where I've had to up the dose to 40mg, and times where I've weaned off the drug, but typically 20mg is where I need to be. I have no side effects on Citalopram, and if I do then I don't even notice them. I'm so thankful for this drug and the difference it has made in my life."

meag April 2, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Been on various anxiety meds but celexa is the best. Reluctantly went on the celexa because I have anxiety and not depression. Celexa is a miracle pill. My anxiety is totally gone unlike taking Ativan or Xanax which was just a temporary fix. I no longer have anxiety, my stomach feels better, no built up of anger, I participate in functions. Only draw back, you can kiss your sex life good bye."

Weather the storm April 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "After reading the reviews a month ago I decided to wait before taking this drug. I used natural supplements to boost my Seratonin level, I think that was working. I still was feeling depressed though, mostly due to family and marital problems, fix those issue and everything else would fall into place, I have been praying for that. So I decided to take this citalopram 10mg. that my Dr. felt I needed, as he said I'm depressed. Which I am. I took it for four days and feel like a zombie, very tired, confused, not thinking clearly, weak, and can't sleep. I know it is supposed to take a few weeks, but no thank you. Most people who have reported here have been on one or more depression drugs on and off for a longtime.. never been on any drugs,"

G G H April 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Citalopram works great for me. I've been on and off of it for about 5 years. When I was on it several years ago it was like night and day. I have major depression and general anxiety. When going back on it most recently (4 months ago), I started at 20mg for the first month. The first dose helped my anxiety immensely. Within a few weeks my depression lifted some. I'm now on 40mg again and it is definitely helping, but I feel like in the past it worked better for the depression. So Today I've started 5mg Abilify in addition; hoping it will help some more."

Cariabcd (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "This has saved my life. I wasn't able to go to work or out because of intense panic attacks. I was hopeless. The medicine started working for me in a few days. The beginning side affects were bad though. Prepare to take it easy the first few days. I haven't had a panic attack in along time now ( compared to at least one a day). I am able to do things daily now without anxiety. I have nothing bad to say about this pill. I want to thank the creators of this medicine because it has improved my life tremendously!!"

Alycat97 March 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started Citalopram 5 weeks ago hoping it would help with my anxiety and depression. I also have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). At first I was terrified of the idea of going on medication, (I'm a nursing student and I would only take pills if it's absolutely necessary) mostly because of the side effects and the experience of other people. I tried everything to "cure" myself and I finally had the courage to talk to my doctor and we made the decision. I can honestly say that Citalopram saved my life. I now feel relieved, more relaxed and simply enjoying life. No side effects beside a little nausea the first week starting it (I didn't eat while taking it). I am on 10mg and I love it. I know it is not easy, you're not alone. Take care ❤"

Caatherine March 27, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started treatment for depression and anxiety in 2001 - Zoloft, which helped somewhat, and I continued for years until Cymbalta came along. I tried it and it was better than Zoloft. After a year on Cymbalta I started to find it to be too expensive. I'm a writer, a starving writer, and $5 a dose was too dear. I asked my doctor if he could recommend something similar but cheaper. He put me on Celexa. Wow - what a difference - Celexa was far more effective than either of the two meds I had previously used- and dirt cheap!"

Nick-writer March 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Celexa since 2000 for 17 years. It worked well for me. It doesn't work anymore. I have been having lots of break through panic attacks. So I am switching to effexor xr Hopefully it works for me. Good Luck."

JeniB March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I tried this medication for anxiety held in there for 5 months at 20mg/day. I went into a full depression, was a zombie with no motivation to do anything at all. The exhaustion was terrible, sleeping 12hrs at night with needing naps during the day. I did notice I wasn't shaky when dealing with people but my view on the world was so bleak and I didn't want to do anything. I'd rather be shaky from my anxiety and have energy and want to be part of the world then what I went through on this medication. Just awful...within 5 days of weening myself off of it, I had my energy back, and felt positive again"

Ladybird6 March 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Best medicine ever taken! Amazing results!!"

Bosoxy March 21, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Have been on the Sandoz Citalopram for three months and it has been a Godsend. Virtually immediate effect on depression and reducing anxiety to almost zero after two months. My doctor has encouraged me increase my dose from 20mg up to a max of 40mg per day if I feel like I need the extra cover. My ideal dose at the moment is 30mgs. Was taking it at night but switched to morning due to some sleeping issues. This drug has given me back my peace of mind and I am so grateful to my doctor for prescribing it."

ScaredNoMore (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Does not take away anxiety as it is the social situation which causes my anxiety, social support far better and talking to counsellor really helps . CBT abject nonsense. Causes faecal urgency and on occasions faecal incontinence. I am worried that even when I stop the drug this may continue. As I am in UK the drug is free as I am over 60 as have been the talking therapies because we pay out of our taxes for health care for all, although the rich don't like paying for the poor's health care"

The Clay Man (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017