User Reviews for Citalopram

Hot Flashes
4.2

Summary of Citalopram reviews 7.6 1,489 reviews

Reviews for Citalopram

For Depression: "I got prescribed this medication at the beginning of 2017 and have been using it since. At the beginning, I was so scared to even take the medication knowing all of the possible side effects and bad reviews people gave, but I decided the depression was getting worse and I needed help. After starting gradually at 5 mg, then to 10mg and with no help, I went to the higher dose at 20mg. This medication was a life saver and helped my generalized anxiety disorder, depression, OCD and panic disorder tremendously. I can honestly say this medication saved my life as I was extremely suicidal. A year and a half later, my body is used to the medication and I need to switch off of it temporarily and go to another medication. Overall, I had minimal side effects of weight gain decreased libido, but other than that it was great."

Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "Today is 2 weeks of being on Celexas (Citalopram). I started taking it for anxiety and panic attacks. The first 8 days I was tired, nauseated, a little out of it and withdrawn. On day 9 I woke up and hit a major sad wall. I was shaky, panicky, and too nervous to get out of bed. The next 5 days were bad. I was super sad and had no drive or motivation, like someone turned the volume down on my life. Today is the first day since I started that I’m starting to feel better. I am not noticing the effects yet but I’m not in pain or super sad. I’m still pretty yawny and sleepy though."

Sierra (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "You should wait at least 45 days to see any improvement. You will feel worse before feeling better. But definitely it's worth it. Citalopram is a life saving medicine that lots of people like me can never live without it at all because of serotonin imbalance."

Sobi (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2018

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I just got prescribed this med Thursday and took it Thursday night. Had me up all night. Next day had a never ending light headache and repeated bowel movements and nausea. But I will say I had a productive day at work with no anxiety. My symptoms prior were raced heart rate, over emotional, shortness of breath with stress and worry...still having the heart racing on day 3 and will see how this goes"

Pink (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "Been on citroplam now for little over 4 weeks, 10mgs... I can slowly begin to feel it working, I am sleeping fine now and take mine at 10.30am. After suffering before tablets I would have very sore muscles in my shoulders under armpits and back. I find my appetite slowly increasing, I suffer from health anxiety and have had all manner of tests done as I was convinced I was ill physically and couldn't comprehend this all being a mental issue. Morning anxiety is still a small issue but will bump up dosage if persists. I was petrified to take these and stared at the box for 5 weeks before I gave in. The start was bumpy heightened anxiety and I occasionally get ringing on my ears but only lasts a min or 2 and passes. I'm female and my want sexually has drastically reduced, I find a little hair loss too, overall they are doing there magic but very slowly."

Blueeyes (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2018

For Depression: "I have been taking citalopram for approximately 12 years and it really helps address my depression. If I stop taking it I find that I get very irritable after about 1 week without it. Throwing things, breaking things, swearing, etc, but after going back on it within about 3-4 days all is good again. So even though I do not get depressed much, I have realised that it is essential for me to take it to stop the irritability."

dexter (taken for 10 years or more) August 5, 2018

For Depression: "I had a severe depression once and lost 25 pounds so I had to take something else than benzos to fix this problem. Citalopram work fine and rather quickly, only a few weeks to feel the effects but I totally hate the side effects. Forget about sex it won't work. Also it cause some intense tinnitus which get on my nerves after a while. I was using 20mg at the time but now when I feel depressed I use only 10 mg and it works without the intense tinnitus , only a low volume tinnitus. I'm very sensitive to serotonin re-uptake inhibitors."

sirius1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "So I am on day 2 of celexa. I originally started four days ago at night thinking I would be drowsy but instead it kinda kept me up. So I switched to mornings. So yesterday was day 1, in the am. And my day I did feel like I was sad and lonely, chemically buzzed but I could still do things. I had anxiety about being alone with my two boys. But as the day progressed and I reached 5pm, I decided that maybe I should work out. Maybe it would help the side effects. It was the best workout ever!! I didn’t noticed my heart pounding, I didn’t have fast labored breathing and my legs didn’t feel wobbly after being on the treadmill. I woke up non drowsy and took my second pill. So here I am an hour in. I’ll post in a few days since I really can’t find a thread of the beginning days of this medication. I haven’t had a headache or nausea but sometimes I have to force my self to eat. And I do get like waves of brain lightheaded that lasts a second."

Michelle August 4, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was at my worst about 6 weeks ago when I walked into see my doctor with anxiety attack’s, I had aching arms, rapid heartbeat and blood pressure of 163/120 convinced I was having a heart attack, my doctor prescribed citalopram which I started that day, during the first couple of weeks I had major panic attacks ,lost weight because I didn’t fancy food and felt so low, thank goodness for these tablets. They take about 5 weeks to kick in and I am now back to my old self even the dizzy spells I’d been having for the last 2 years have gone stick with them and you will feel well again soon"

Bunnygir31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "If you're reading this its because your nervous to start this medication. If you are considering taking this pill, even though your scared, chances are you are in a bad spot and need some help and apparently your doctor agrees. I was like you and the bad reviews scared me enough to make me put off taking it. Until it became so bad I had no choice. I am very sensitive to medications so I started at a very small dose and worked my way up every two weeks or so. Side effects were tough sometimes- but taking clonazepin helped a ton! Now that I am up to 15mg and have levelled out I finally am starting to feel myself again. This medication saved my life and I am so glad I got the courage to take it. Hopefully it works for you too. Give it at least 30 days before you give up. The side effects will go away and if you can't tolerate them- try something else. People usually only take the time to vent about bad experiences so you can't go by everything you're reading- try it for yourself."

Danni July 23, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "Use this to stop panic attacks and anxiety it works perfectly for me with no side effects!"

Kizzy (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking this medication for anxiety/panic disorder. After two weeks of my body getting used to the medication, it had me feeling wonderful. I feel like I have my life back. Panic attacks have been greatly reduced and they are rare enough that I am able to work through them with my coping skills now. I am grateful that I tried this medication, as it has been very effective. I did try going off after about a year, (was off for 3 months) but the panic and anxiety returned with a vengeance, so I started taking the medication again and continue to feel better. Note: the first two weeks were a bit difficult. I struggled with sleep and concentration, and had brain fog. Additionally, getting off the medication has similar symptoms for about 2-3 weeks for me. In my opinion, it is worth those couple weeks for my years of relief on this medication. If you’re just starting, stick with it for a couple weeks and symptoms should start to improve if the medication is the right fit."

Sly1362 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 16, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Overall the 40mg tablet of Citalopram has been very helpful with GAD and related depression. I was originally on the 20mg and around 12 months ago had my dose increased to 40mg. My symptoms have decreased significantly from what I would call fairly strong GAD and my mood improved overall to a very stable level. I found in the first weeks and months adjusting to the medication there were episodes of anger unrelated to anything happening in my life, which can be unsettling but it does pass. There were also times when I had general lethargy, almost like the flu, which only lasted 4-5 days. I would also add there was a strangeness to some of my thoughts. If anyone goes through something like that, don't worry it will eventually settle down! The Citalopram also helps reduce the impact of certain negative thoughts. I find it easier to lessen their hold on me and as a result a cycle or episode of anxiety doesn't kick off. Good luck with it all!"

MatthewMclean July 16, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "My daughter has high functioning autism (ASD) and anxiety. Doctor put her on low dose at age 8. Now 17, she was still on only 1ml of liquid daily it seems like a low dose, but if we increased it she would get extremely agitated and this was only increasing by .5 ml. We decided to take her off because: Huge weight gain Acne Constipation ( which is/can be already an issue with people w ASD Hyperkeratosis She says she feels much better. Eats a lot less meaning gets full on less Lost weight Constipation and gas MUCH better Hyperkeratosis is going away Acne is almost gone No change in mood Switched to propranolol and LOVE it."

JP (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 15, 2018

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "For many years I suffered from really bad anxiety and panic disorder. I've tried every natural medication possible and I finally gave in and tried Celexa. It has been really amazing for me. It had a fairly mild side effects but nothing horrible like I was expecting. I can go out in public and my panic attacks have been almost non-existent since taking it for the last two and a half months. Please give it a try I wish I would have started sooner. I have also lost a lot of weight on it but it could be because I'm feeling better and I'm being more active and eating better"

Knighter July 13, 2018

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have been on 20 mg of citalopram for 2 years. Just recently increased to 40 mg 6 months ago. The medication does help tremendously but I am thinking of possibly adding Wellbutrin to get my sex drive back and more energy. Ever since increasing to 40 mg I am really hungry all of the time & blah. I still feel blue :( just my personal experience, maybe my brain has had enough of SSRI’s. Don’t be afraid of trying this medication though because it really does help when you’re in a dark place. Good luck please stay in close touch with your doctors through the process and if they aren’t helping then switch. Good luck xo"

Nicole (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "Following my first ever anxiety attack some 3 years ago, followed by additional attacks and depression and a general feeling of hopelessness, I consulted my GP and was soon prescribed citalopram. My 20mg dose was taken as prescribed and for 8 or 9 days I endured just about every possible side effect. As quick as the side effects arrived they waned. The only one remaining was my apparent inability to ejaculate. Over time I have overcome this and it has led to the best bedroom relationship ever. I have twice thought to cease using the drug due to my now happy existence, unfortunately my mood lowered and I decided to carry on. I imagine that they are with me for life."

Nijinsky (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "So I've been suffering with anxiety for around 3 years or more but although it was hard, most of it was just fearful thoughts and images my sub conscious mind was telling me. I learnt to deal with it in the most part. It was not until I had severe physical symptoms and ended up in accident and emergency on Sunday just gone as my body completely went into shock from a bad panic attack that I then began to seek help. Anyways I was prescribed citalopram, I asked for lowest dose just to take away the physical symptoms more than anything so I can could feel better and I also asked to have therapy. I think I have felt some side effects of the tablets but still too early to say if they are helping me yet or if I'm just feeling better in myself because the panic has worn off. Still getting the odd thoughts of anxiety but better than I was on Sunday and Monday so I pray that I will start to feel happier from here on. Nobody deserves to suffer with this condition."

Matt July 11, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Took this for three years and went up to the max dose. I was also taking Ativan for panic attacks. Celexa + Ativan = no panic and minimal anxiety. Don't recall any side effects except for feeling sleepy all the time. I would take that any day over feeling anxious! After three years, it pooped out on me and couldn't take 60 mg because of potential heart problems. I'm in trouble now cuz I went through all the SSRIs and none of them work as well or have too many side effects. Still experimenting with different types of antidepressants as we speak. Give this a try! Best SSRI out there! Made me feel "normal" for three years."

alimill03 July 11, 2018

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on 20mg of Celexa since 2012. Celexa works great for anxiety & stress. I have NOT lost my temper from being stressed out for 6 years. I like most people think I am feeling better and have tried to wean myself off Celexa 3 times in the past 6 years but I never make it past 2 weeks before I start having meltdowns. I realized each time I tried to quit taking it afterwards I could not handle all the kids being kids. So I have decided I will have to be on Celexa for the rest of my life. I have not had a moment where I lost my cool with my children in 6 years. I am not saying I harmed my children previously I was just horrible with my mouth towards my children. So if you are reading this and you have similar meltdowns from to much coming at you at once trust me you need Celexa I am proof it works!"

gnmandy (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 7, 2018

For Depression: "I;ve been on citalopram for 3 months. From 2,5 to 20mg a day. I finally started feeling some changes after they increased my dose at 20, but the side effects got worse. I was very tired all the time, even with the lower dose. I had to buy energy drinks all the time to stay awake. I have 1 year old son and it was so hard to take care of him. I was so tired all the time. My anxiety and depression did not improve, they worsened, especially my depression. I put on about 6-7 kilograms for 3 months, I can't fit in my clothes, and my depression got worse as I put on so much weight. I am 23 and I have never been 63 kg, when I was pregnant I was 61 in the 9th month, and now I am bigger! I am really shocked. I just couldn't stop eating. I was feeling dizzy, sick, couldn't travel to college as I was getting too dizzy. It was definitely not the med for me. I couldn't sleep during the night, even tho I was so tired all the time, I was like a zombie. I didn't like the pill at all."

Eva (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was on this drug for a year and a half. My doctor prescribed it because I had very severe insomnia and anger issues that she thought might be anxiety. She was correct, this drug started working very quickly and I started sleeping again and my husband said I was much calmer. I liked how I felt on this drug and I would have stayed on it for longer but I was gaining weight rapidly. I decided to get off it and I’m glad I did. What I learned: I NEEDED to go on this medication to help me with my insomnia and anxiety BUT I wish I would have gotten off of it sooner. Looking back I feel like I could have taken it for 6-9 months and then gotten off of it. I suggest keeping in touch with your doctor about alternative coping mechanisms and a plan for when you may eventually get off this medication."

auntyi (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I take Citalopram, but before I took it I had bad OCD, I'd make the bed as soon as I wake up even when people are in it. Washing hands for a long time. Doing everything 3 times in the shower. Brushing teeth twice in the morning and three times at night. And now I don’t do that anymore besides making my bed. I used to have anxiety and now it’s all away."

Gavin July 3, 2018

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "*UPDATE*December 19, 2017 I have now completely have gotten off of celexa after a year and feel great. I took 2 months to ween off of my 20mg dose. Celexa helped me with all of my issues: Extreme lack of focus, panic attacks, not being able to hold conversations, de-personalization, had to quit my job... But enough of that, ultimately this medication was the biggest roller coaster ride I've ever been on (for the first 6 weeks) but am so happy I decided to go on it. For me Celexa muted all of my anxious feelings and allowed me to regain who I was and gain all of my confidence back. So anyways I thought I would share my final review of this drug and for anyone trying to get through a bout of anxiety that is so bad it destroys their entire life, there is hope! It's hard as anything but I wouldn't of done anything different. Good luck everyone! BTW I was on it from June 16 2017 to June 27 2018. The "it gets worse before it gets better" part was over after about 4-6 weeks."

JoeTurner July 2, 2018

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Celexa for almost two months now. I was weary about starting this medication because of the reviews. The initial side affects are rough. I couldn’t sleep, eat or talk to anyone really. I had very bad twitching and heightened anxiety. About two weeks after starting it I finally noticed a difference. Two months later, (now) I am very happy and don’t have much anxiety. Keep in mind it has to get worse to get better (starting the medication)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2018