User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

Hot Flashes 6 reviews 19 medications

4.2
Summary of Citalopram reviews 1362 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "This is the only antidepressant I have ever taken (and I've tried a lot of them) that has not given me anxiety and jitters. It is too bad the doses don't go up very high and it could work a little better with anxiety than it does but for an antidepressant it is the only one I can tolerate for extended periods of time. So thankful for it. Because I am an addict I can't take benzos and this keeps anxiety under control with a PRN hydroxyzine when it happens anyway."

noreshii October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Have been taking citilopram for about a year . Side effects same as most peeps. Sweating was the most uncomfortable. At some points had to change clothing throughout the day. Misjudged how many pills I had remaining this weekend and ran out. Found myself crying at " car sos" and some daft kiddies cartoon. And I mean in absolute tears. Maybe some may think they are of little help when taking them but this is what it may make you feel if you stop cold turkey. Also take diazepam when I'm really stressed "

Chazbhoyo☘️ October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I am on my second round of celexa. I took it many years ago for a few years, only 10mg a day. It definitely worked but after a few years I decided to get off it. You need to ween yourself off it very slowly if you’ve taken it for a long time. I experienced voices and hallucinations the first couple days going off it completely after I thought I had weened myself enough so I had to ween myself for another month. I had never had symptoms like that in my life. However, I got off of it. Now my depression and anxiety came back for quite a bit so I went back on celexa 20 mg and it is definitely helping. My recommendation is to avoid a lot of caffeine while on this drug or you will notice anxiety increases more so than when you’re not on celexa."

BBCC October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have Dysthymia so I have to take medication all the time. This one is terrible for me. While it kept me from becoming suicidal... well that was the only thing it did. I was so low energy I could barely do anything and couldn't concentrate on anything. I think it's good I don't drive. I took it whenever things were at their worst but had to stop when I became a bit better because it created a ceiling. Stopped it and used techniques given by therapists and I was able to be somewhat functional again."

Emilie B. October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I wanted to share my experience while being on celexa. Before celexa I was a wreck, having racing thoughts and felt like I couldn't get out of bed. I'm a mother of two and a happily married wife. I've suffered with anxiety for about 6 years and I was so scared to get on medication. It wasn't until I seen a constant pattern of me going to the emergency room with panic attacks and the hospital staff knew my name as soon as I walked in! Being on celexa has completely changed my life back to the woman I was. It literally gave my mind a clear focus and now I live in the present. Not worrying about a million and one things. Before I couldn't even communicate because my thoughts would just race and I would be stuck in my own head."

Lyssxoxo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I had forgotten that I had PMDD! I was prescribed citalopram for considerable anxiety and mild depression while I was going through a nasty divorce. I have been on citalopram for a few years now, since about January 2014. I forgot to pick up repeat prescription and I thought as divorce now finished (June 2015) and all good with my life (even accepting normal trial and tribulations of difficult hormonal teenager!) I would be fine and should just get on with it and not worry about taking it anymore. Wow, was I wrong, period overdue and PMDD back as it was at its worst. Needless to say will be back at docs to discuss and continue as there is no way I will come off this until I am post menopausal (soon but until then citalopram)."

KT66 September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Sure just take a pill and your life is going to be good. I went to the doctor for sleep and said I was stressed, so they give me an antidepressant. People don't realize this stuff changes your brain and is bad for you. You just need exercise and good nutrition and it will change your life (I think). I'm only going to try it for two weeks just to feel what people are saying they feel. The doctor should have given me xanax or something simaliar. I've seen some antidepressants do some bad nasty things to people. Not to mention these side effects they cause."

christru22 September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Works great for my general anxiety. I felt like I was trapped in my own body. Couldn't breathe regular, fidgety, brain racing nonstop, chest pain, couldn't sleep, had to run up and down stairs to relax. After 2 months I started to feel a difference. Takes the edge off is all. Doesn't change my mood, doesn't make me sleepy. Only side effect I have is sometimes an hour or so after taking stomach is a little upset....minor tradeoff for being anxiety free. Changed my life. If you are living under a constant cloud of anxiety, please consider this medication. It takes a while to really start working, but for me it has been a saviour."

AnxietyFree September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I was prescribed this a few week's ago but had to stop taking it. I currently take Seroquel (Quetiapine) 100 mg, and was not sure why the Psychiatrist would prescribe the Celexa (Citalopram) as I had been informed by a pharmacist that combining Seroquel and Celexa is dangerous and could possibly cause heart problems. There is a MAJOR drug interaction between those two meds, as that would explain why my chest was hurting and my depression actually got way worse, I also didn't have an appetite at ALL while on the Celexa so I had to just stop taking it. Horrible drug."

Jennifer0121 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Worst experience of my life on this drug. Extreme insomnia, even taking an Ambien would not get me to sleep. If I did get a little sleep it was not restful, felt awake. Could not remember what happened 5 minutes ago. Short term memory gone. Could not eat, I would try but could barely swallow and food would fall out of my mouth, especially carbs like bread. Major muscle twitching, extreme sweating especially in inappropriate places like my groin so then I had even more anxiety feeling like I looked like I wet my pants. Headaches. This happened on a low dose taking it 3-4 weeks. Once stopping Celexa It took me 3-4 months to feel normal again, however I also feel this drug did some permanent damage to my brain."

Not ever again September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I'm new to having uncontrolled anxiety [from an auto accident] and taking an SSRI. I spent 3 weeks trying natural/alternative methods but couldn't get the anxiety under control. Went to a GP and who let me start at 10mg [20mg side effects were too much] and stayed there. I noticed a huge improvement after the 1st week and felt normal [with blips of uncontrolled anxiety] up until the 6th week when the general anxiety became heightened. I increased my dose to 15mg for a week [no side effects] and then increase to 20mg and hope that dose works for me. Stick with the drug as it does work!"

Epitaxial (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Had severe depression and anxiety for years. 20 mg was good for depression 40 mg was good for depression and anxiety. Been on 40mg a year now and am amazed at how much better I feel. I wish I had started something years ago."

Dave87538 September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This drug made me have side effects instead of panic attacks. Like the best way I can describe it is when I would begin to have a panic attack, it would replace it with some of the side effects. I got very 'psychedelic' side effects, but i'm not saying that's a good thing. I constantly had out of body experiences, felt like my arms were missing or weightless, felt like I had sensations of two pairs of legs. Stuff like that would always happen as soon as I would start having a panic episode or depressive episode. I give it something above a 0 because it actually did get rid of my anxiety, but the side effects it replaced it with was not worth staying on."

Kerma (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This seems to be working well for me. I've been on it for three months now, at 10mg a day. As far as my depression goes, the fog has lifted, I find myself being able to keep up with my life again, things that I used to let like up because I was to tired aren't an issue any more. I've had energy for the first time in years and it's amazing! As far as treating my OCD, this medication at this dosage is not helping with repetitive thoughts or anxiety unfortunately. Hopefully increasing the dose will help!"

Mewty (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "TOOK 8 weeks for 20mg to finally work. I had every side effect there was and was about to give up. Heightened Anxiety, Insomnia, nervous and anxious. Dry mouth, tremors in my hands. I was so ready to just check myself in a mental ward. But I hung in there and right at week 8. BOOM all of it gone. Feeling great"

Cjene September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on and off of citalopram for the past 5 years (mostly on). I deal with GAD, depression, and PTSD. The therapeutic dose of 20 mg was what I was on initially, bumped to 40 as stress increased. This drug really helped me deal with my mixed bag of symptoms effectively. However, it caused anorgasma. Also caused a chronically stuffed nose as the dose increased."

BJ1097 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm 49 years old and I started having panic attacks and anxiety again. It first started when I had a surgery to extract my thyroid many years ago. I tried other medications but Citalopram was the only one that made me feel good again. I have been taking 20 mg for more than 2 years and the only side effect I have is dry mouth. Actually I do not even realize it. I can't imagine flying or staying in closed places without taking it."

LuciaM September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I spent a lot of my life struggling with generalized anxiety disorder. After suffering what I think was an un diagnosed breakdown my doctor changed me from Amitriptyline (very low dose) to Citalopram. Life has not got easier it is in fact the hardest it has ever been. I am divorced, out of work and struggling financially. However the Citalopram has relieved my anxiety and depression and made me happy for being alive. The only downfall is that I sometimes wonder if the lack of anxiety is the reason why I am not achieving financial freedom at the moment and that the Citalopram is causing complacency and making me too choosy, Perhaps however it feels so good not to have a dark heavy cloud over my head which was a constant source of mental pain"

Ulfet September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Living with a depressed husband and my parents passing within 16 months of each other threw me into two years of depression. When I finally sought help, my doctor put me on generic Celexa. Within a month, I felt a lot better; however, I was nauseous and woke up at 3am for the first 3 months. I'm glad I stuck it out because after that, I was fine for about 2 years when it stopped working. Over the past 3 years I have tried 3 other anti depressants but nothing has worked or they increased my blood pressure so my doctor suggested trying Celexa again. I'm hoping I won't have the side effects this time but feel they are worth it for two years of normal living."

Lee In Pinetop (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I suffer from anxiety/depression decided to go to the doctor after sometime being that I just couldn't handle it anymore without some kind of meds. They started me on 20 mg which seemed to help but not quite to 100% yet! She then had me take 30 mg for a week and bumped it up to 40 mg but honestly it's to much I literally feel like I'm just "there" I feel physically exhausted it's a bad feeling and I'm still dealing with day to day anxiety but definitely not as bad as it was. I'm going to go back to 20 mg till I see my doctor again. Hate this awful feeling I have almost like a zombie it's like my brain is in a fog or something. I'm hoping she can add something to it I definitely can't go any higher then 20 mg"

Kaylily September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Just started Citalopram today! Doc has me on 10mg for the first 4 days, then being bumped up to 20mg. She said "it has to get worse, before it can get better" and from reading most of the reviews, I have a feeling I'm in for a few rough weeks. I have only tried one other medicine and I reacted very sensitively to it, doc pulled me off asap. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for the past year (runs in the family unfortunately, anxiety from my mum, depression from my dad). Will keep y'all posted! Not going to give up on this!"

Rosie Bowler September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Vivid dreams/nightmares alternating with insomnia. Jaw clenching, teeth grinding at night. IBS like symptoms. Short term memory loss was the most disturbing. I would be right in the middle of a sentence and everything would drop, I would stop and have to try to remember what I was talking about or what I had wanted to say which was both embarrassing and upsetting. By the year end on this medication, the side effects completely overtook the benefits of this medication and I stopped."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I took celexa many years ago and when I stopped taking it I developed brain zaps a common side effect of withdrawal. After one month of quitting celexa I started hearing voices telling me to harm others. It got so bad that I started attacking people with a knife. I was arrested by the police. During trial I was found not criminally responsible (NCR). I was suffering from psychosis. I was sent to a secure hospital. I spent a year in there I saw the review board and they said I was a significant threat to the safety of the public because I told my doctor I felt like killing more people. "

Matthew GGG August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I take Citalopram for anxiety and depression. Before I started taking it, I had daily panic attacks and could not function very well. I've been on it now for four months. I highly recommend this medicine. My panic attacks have gone down to weekly. My dad starting taking it too and it helps him as well for bad depression. I started at 10mg. I took that for two months and now I'm doing great on 20mg. You may have some side effects at first, BUT everyone I know who had taken it has not had long lasting side effects. Two weeks or so is about it."

Basiaka August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medication works for me. Have had generalised anxiety for many years, which I could just about deal with but it was very draining. As others have said, this med takes a few weeks to start having a positive effect, and I had to take Valium with it for the initial two weeks to alleviate the side effects. The insomnia got worse before it got better. So I didn't make any judgements until after one month. The effects are positive. I have a sense of calmness and perspective. I sleep much better. I am enjoying life much more. The downside was increased hunger and a little weight gain with it. But the positive effects mean I can make time to exercise and deal with that."

Bob F (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017