User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

Hot Flashes 6 reviews 19 medications

4.2
Summary of Citalopram reviews 1338 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Citalopram

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medication works for me. Have had generalised anxiety for many years, which I could just about deal with but it was very draining. As others have said, this med takes a few weeks to start having a positive effect, and I had to take Valium with it for the initial two weeks to alleviate the side effects. The insomnia got worse before it got better. So I didn't make any judgements until after one month. The effects are positive. I have a sense of calmness and perspective. I sleep much better. I am enjoying life much more. The downside was increased hunger and a little weight gain with it. But the positive effects mean I can make time to exercise and deal with that."

Bob F (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Okay I have been on celexa for about a week now. I'm currently working 6 days a week 9-10 hour shifts so I'm exhausted as it is. And I feel like I can't sleep and for the past two days I haven't been wanting to eat at all. Is this normal for this medicine. I'm on 20mg once a day?"

Aubie25 August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Citalopram for about 8 months. I was having severe migraines due to anxiety and had no prior diagnosis. It was all new to me but it made sense. My doctor started me on citalopram by prescribing 20 mg but cutting them and taking half for about a week. At first my head felt fuzzy but I can honestly say this medication has helped me return to my normal self. I'm usually skeptical of taking prescriptions but my husband even said that I was my normal self again. The only side effect I've outright experienced that I'm aware of, is if I forget to take it for a day or 2 I get terrible headaches. It makes me nervous that my body now relies on it and starts to go through withdrawal if I don't have it. However, it has truly helped!"

HHib August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Made me feel like a zombie, sexual side effects, no interest in doing anything. I would never take this drug again."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I suffered from extreme panic attacks, lack of concentration, constant worry, and restlessness which led to a stint of sleep deprivation. I am currently 2 and a half weeks in and have gone through the gamut of side effects: increased anxiety, night sweats, tiredness and loss of sexual desire. But I can gladly say that these side effects are already seemingly disappearing and I CAN FOCUS AGAIN!!! It's amazing, my sense of humor isn't back yet as I am generally sarcastic which I am struggling hard with right now, but ultimately I can feel the drug working. My girlfriend doesn't think I'm completely insane (which is nice) and I feel like I am on the better side of the Celexa now."

JoeTurner August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I menopausal with bad Anxiety in mornings, with shakes, hot flashes and depression. I started on the Generic Celexa 10mg first seven days at night, which helped me sleep, dry mouth and diarrhea, then took 20mg and on day three on that, anxiety gone, think clearly, depression lifted, energy again and no more hot flashes. No constant worry some thoughts that ruled my brain. I won't come off this again."

Cjene (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "With any psych med, always use the LOWEST EFFECTIVE DOSE. If your doctor starts you on 5 or 10mg and you already feel better, just stay there. Less is more. SSRIs mess with your sleep architecture and the long-term sleep deprivation will make you gradually more depressed and tired, and you might not realize it's the citalopram because it's making you too tired and stupid to figure it out. I gradually increased the dose until I was on 40mg for 2 years and my life feel apart. Most people do NOT do well on 40mg, and I'm angry that my doctor portrayed it as a moderate dose. Anything above 20mg made me too tired to function without loads of caffeine. Doctors please be more conservative in your dosing."

v.h. (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Persistent Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking Citalopram for 5 yrs and have had no side effects. My sister & niece take the same thing (& same dose) and swear it makes them sleepy. As for Yawning as another person mentioned, I start yawning every evening @ 8pm. Regardless whether I'm tired or not. I've done this long before I ever started taking Citalopram so can probably say for sure it's not because of the med. I have very little to no yawning during the day. 90% of the time, if I yawn during the day, it's because someone in the house has yawned or I see it on tv...and it makes me yawn. I also take an antidepressant at night, one which helps me sleep. so between the two, it pretty much keeps me stable."

pooky1962 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I have been suffering from PMDD for years. During the week before my period, during my period and the 2 days prior to ovulation. It's taken years to get this bad though. I have never got very far with doctors. I was offered hormonal contraception repeatedly and always refused, as I was frightened that it would be enough to tip me over the edge. I got to a point where I just couldn't cope with it anymore, and so I spoke to a different doctor, a female doctor who knew me well. I started the usual speech, I even had everything written down, and she stopped me halfway. She knew exactly what to do. So, I am now on half cycle 10mg citalopram. I take it when I need to (2 weeks a month). For the first time in years, I feel normal."

LongSufferer (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Mom was put on 10 mg. Then Dr. increased to 20 mg and her husband passed away and Dr. increased to 40 mg. She kept falling, blacking out, dizzy spells. I kept asking Dr. if it could be any of her medications and they said no. Then she started having signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's. On her first diagnosis she was diagnosed with advanced alz. We saw no signs or family history of Alz. You see that coming 4-5 years out. After fighting this for 4 months after diagnosis, I decided the only thing that was changed was adding Celexa, so I weened her off Celexa and in 3 weeks w had our Mom back from Alz, state that she was in."

Bet123 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medication has side affects just like all medications do. However, this was prescribed for Anxiety and Depression and does not work well for me. Doctor increased the dose, and it makes you so sleepy you must take it at night, but still does not relieve anxiety."

anxious and depressed August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Love this medication. Noticed a huge difference the first day I started taking it. It will make you drowsy for 3 to 4 days but thats normal because your body needs to get use to it. GREAT medication for Anxiety and Depression."

AppCandycrushgamer August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been suffering from GAD for several years now, with highs and lows. I first had Prozac which worked really well until this year, it made me nervous, I was being aggressive with my relatives and fed up about everything, probably because of health issues + my mother being ill + my son being video games addicted, that was too much, my anxiety was constant with some panic feelings sometimes. Sleepless nights is my main problem, I would wake up at 2 or 4 am and unable to get back to sleep. I tried Valdoxan but it did noting to med. So my doctor tried Citalopram. I started 10 mg per day almost 4 weeks ago and the fist 3 weeks were just HELL but finally it started to be effective and I am quite happy about it. 10 mg is enough for me."

Aliceparis (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Best SSRI ever. No side effects and it really works for my panic and anxiety. I think if this drug didn't do what it is doing I may have taken my life"

Ruby j August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I have been on citalopram for two years, I started on Vendor but took bad so I switched to citalopram 20's. I had a few side effects so I went to 10's. I worked my way up to 30's pretty ok but I recently got upped to 40's and 3 weeks in I am dropping to 20's as I've never felt so low, so lonely, so down and I even cried... sick and fuzzy heads, family pointed out I was not myself, horrible feeling, brought about bad morning anxiety which ruined the whole day but I'm now more determined than ever to best this myself, I have been trying and so far it is working, learning to love myself and think positive, it's all about believing in myself, good luck"

Bart69-er August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on a 10mg dosage of Citalopram for about 2 weeks now and after a few days I could already see the effects. I have a lot more energy and hardly feel tired (I didn't even realise how tired and groggy I must have felt) I wake up and feel like getting out of bed would be nice! In terms of my anxiety, I usually felt panicked and my stomach and breathing would be really intensely effected but now when I am put in an anxious situation I don't feel panicked. I'm really hoping that it stops my nausea which I get in the worst situations and I have faith that it will. Would highly recommend this drug to try out, I know it doesn't work for everyone but my boyfriend and his father are on it and have had amazing experiences. Give it a go!"

Graccey July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been taking this medication since I was 19 due to panic attacks, anxiety & dissociation that came from my brother being diagnosed with a terrible mental health disorder. Since taking it, It's worked like a charm, I'm now 25 and am still on the medication. This SSRI is so mild and gentle & I have 0 side effects. Please try this medication! My panic attacks are gone, my anxiety is minimal and my dissociation has disappeared. Please don't be ashamed to take something your brain may need. I'm now a Registered Nurse & I'm so calm and happy and have my life back from anxiety and panic. Please give this a try! Oh and I'm currently on 20mg. Also, remember there is always hope. Praying for everyone who reads this."

Thankfulforthis (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Postpartum Depression: "Horrible experience. Couldn't differ between dreams and actuality. Unfortunately lost custody of my child while on this medication because the paternal grandparents convinced me to sign "insurance papers" which were actually custody papers. They knew what my mental state was at the time due to Celexa. I was very easily agitated and very delusional. At one point I thought my daughter had turned into a puppy. Another point, I thought I took a trip that was about an hour away and got back home within 5 minutes with no recollection of the trip back. These were actually dreams that I thought was happening in reality. I was in such a horrible mental state that I couldn't even tell that I wasn't myself, that I was delusional, or irrational."

Medviewanon July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on a lot of psychotropic drugs through the years. I hated them all. This was the first drug that relieved my anxiety and my mind doesn't work as fast so I can actually focus on something and read without all the inner dialogue in my head. When I am trying to read something, my mind takes off on tangents and I am still reading but I am not comprehending. It's nice to be able to focus on something and really take in the information. I don't feel like I'm in such a hurry all the time. I personally didn't have ANY problem with my libido or with my orgasms. For men, it's good you can last longer when taking this medication;) My boyfriend takes it also."

gotskates (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am a 64 year old woman. I had suffered depression and anxiety for many years especially since early hysterectomy. I dealt with it and functioned. A smiling depressive. I needed to have a firm talk to myself to force me to socialise with colleagues who never knew the struggle. I could become an emotional wreck when alone over a TV advert. I started citalopram. In the beginning bizarre unpleasant dreams were disturbing. But they settled. Things have definitely improved. I still suffer from anxiety, fatigue & insomnia. However that overwhelming feeling of hopelessness of waiting for god as it were has left me. I can take pleasure out of things without wanting to cry. Life is certainly improved since commencing the drug."

Anonymously sent July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have been on Citalopram 20mg for exactly two weeks now. Side effects I have been experiencing are nausea, nausea when yawning, constant yawning, appetite decrease (down 13 pounds), fatigue, flat affect (numb personality, expressionless face) and intense, deep negativity. I am taking Citalopram for severe anxiety and major depressive disorder. I had some suicidal ideations before starting the medication, but now it feels like my depression is on steroids. I am working closely with my therapist who wants me to speak to my prescribing Doc about the dose. I am unsure of what to do at this point because I haven't been on it long enough to experience the benefits. Mostly I am terrified of being locked up."

Nicky89 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Completely changed my life. I was having severe anxiety accompanied with frequent panic attacks and was feeling hopeless about improvement. First two weeks on Celexa were terrible, but I can't necessary attribute all symptoms as side effects because my anxiety was so bad it could have been that. I was waking up with night terrors, had extreme fatigue, dizziness, and dissociation. But then at some point I forgot about my anxiety and was living a normal life again. I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg before coming back down to 10 mg due to improvement. After about 6 months I weaned off the drug completely and have only mild anxiety relapses currently."

BillBaggs99 July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "A month ago I started having really bad anxiety, to the point I would lie in bed all day feeling suicidal. I couldn't eat (I lost 1 stone in 2 weeks), I couldn't sleep without having a panic attack that woke me up every hour and I was terrified this was going to be my life from now on. I was signed off work sick but had bills to pay, which added to the stress and anxiety I had. I had thoughts of ending my own life because I felt that hopeless and down and was worried I would never snap out of it. The worse symptom was the derealization. After 3 awful weeks of adjusting to 20mg citalopram, I'm feeling SO much better already. Please stick with this medication, I feel like I've got my life back.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "A great lessening of anxiety after taking for a month. Calm feeling."

Redhead24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was prescribed Citalopram 10 mg by my doctor for depression and anxiety due to being laid off from my job. I have been taking for less than a week and it really has helped me quite a bit. Except for mild to moderate headaches and vivid dreams at night when I sleep I have no other complaints! I have very glad my doctor suggested this medication!"

Sunny1979 (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017