User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 12 reviews 44 medications

Hot Flashes 4 reviews 19 medications

Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1192 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Citalopram

For Anxiety and Stress: "If I could give this medicine a 0 rating I would. Back when I first was suffering from a lot of anxiety, we had tried this before I tried xanax, which helped a TON more (long off the xanax, on a longer lasting medication now). ANYWAYS, I tried this, took a pill before my 530am shift, went into work, and turned into a zombie. lost ALL feeling of emotions, was rude to the customers, literally turned into another person. called the doctor in 2 weeks and said get me in NOW. After 4 days i threw out the bottle, saw the doctor and tried the xanax instead. Celexa made my anxiety 2000000x worse. I'm someone with constant anxiety issues, but antidepressants like SSRI's and SNRI's make my brain freak out. I'd throw these out & let the trash enjoy it"

Anonymous January 16, 2017

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "After self medicating my anxiety for a couple of years with booze, I took initiative to regain control. Went to the ER, they gave me librium to detox at home. Helped tremendously. Walked away from my business (had to, that was my huge stressor, and it was going to kill me). Went through the roller coaster of emotions being sober. So here I am a year later. I asked my Dr for an anti depressant last month to help the lingering bouts of anxiety. She prescribed 20mgs of celexa. Starting with 10 for a week. First week, I seriously felt like I was on e. Euphoric, music sounded better, relaxed...but could not sleep "normal". My sex drive is back and in full swing. Still staying on 10mgs as it still feels strong. Sleeping better the past 10 days."

Quince (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I live in Scotland and have suffered clinical depression and anxiety for years I was not on any meds between 2009 to 20015 but finally I cracked in September 2015 and lost about 2 stone in weight and I was chain smoking after having quit years before I'm also asthmatic so that is never a good idea. Anyway I went to g.p and he put me on citalopram now months later I feel they are helping I'm on 40 mg split into morning and evenings."

Wee barra (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 11, 2017

For Panic Disorder: "I have tried a lot of different antidepressants in the past few would work but stop working for a while. I even took one where it just simply made me feel like I didn't want to be bothered with any one. The sound of someone's voice made me cringe and if someone touched me I just wanted to ripe their faces completely off. But since I have been on Celexa I feel absolutely excellent and I was taking Abilify with it. With those two combined I would pray with people and counsel with a youth group. Enjoyed the heck out of life much more. But unfortunately I can't afford abilify any more and I have been trying but no luck. I wish a miracle would come my way. But this is just wishful imagination on my part."

Kaos January 10, 2017

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I have been on those pills for years now after suffering from PMDD. This is THE VERY BEST. I have a history of depression, but , at the time it was prescribed to me, I was charming 27 days out of the month. 2 days prior my periods, I turned into a witch, a depressed one. It affected my relationship with my kids, my loving partner. I'm saying that now, because a week ago, I ran out of them, having missed my physical. Those mood swings came back like a freight train and I literally had to beg my doctor to give me enough before my next visit. I'll be more careful next time but I can't help wondering if the symptoms are worsened if you get off it... or maybe I just forgot how bad it was!"

Mrs Munchkin January 9, 2017

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I had severe anxiety when driving and just in general for the past 8 years. I would get so nervous while driving I would shake and my heart felt like it was going to explode, I would get really dizzy. I mostly stayed home and it turned into depression. I had taken Celexa before as a teenager when dealing with anxiety, at that time it worked well for me but I got pregnant and stopped taking it since, that was 8 years ago. My doctor prescribed me to Celexa again and after about a month I started noticing that I was feeling so much better. I could drive without much anxiety at all. I wasn't shaking or feeling I was on the verge of an attack. I never realized how much anxiety was taking over my life. The only side effect is pretty bad dry mouth"

BenTen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I suffered with anxiety my entire life, and I graduate school it became dehabilitating. I would have panic attacks randomly and my heart was always racing. My GP put me on 10 mg of Celexa, and after about a week I was feeling much better. I have been on it for about 2 months now and feel like an entirely new person! The only negative side effects I have experienced were a bit of drowsiness when I first started (my body has adjusted), and frequent, very vivid dreams."

Ronda3556 January 2, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I could barely sit in restaurants, I was constantly on edge feeling unsafe everywhere, obsessed with checking my pulse, I was in and out of derealisation feeling constantly floaty in a horrible way. Week 1-6 of citalopram - anxiety got worse, Hot flushes, or one part of my body was burning hot. Appetite was completely gone, and the nausea was quite bad. End of week 3 the physical symptoms started to pass and anxiety lifted. From week 3-6 my mood was all over the place, went from feeling normal to suicidal to desperately depressed and depression wasn't what I was being treated for. So beware of extreme mood changes because that is scary. But now week 8 and I feel 80% back to normal. I know is desperate but stick it out and it will be great!"

infra345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Postpartum Depression: "This is by far the worst antidepressant I have ever taken in my life. I took this pill for Severe post-partum anxiety/OCD. I stayed on it for 17 months. And it was truly the worst 17 months of my life. The worst intrusive thoughts I have ever experienced, felt like I was in a constant panic attack 24/7 where I literally felt like I was going insane, my thoughts were constant loops of irrational fears and I would do anything to try and make them stop, I thought I had something spiritually wrong with me or I was going insane, horrible derealization, lost connection with almost every person except my boyfriend, no connection with my baby, couldn't feel any of my body, lost all faith in God and hope."

aasldfhasdiovpasdifafasdfpaosd (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 30, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Celexa does get rid of anxiety, however, it also destroys the rest of your life. The should call it the boner killer, because you will never get an erection as long as you take celexa. And its tough to call yourself a man if your junk isn't working. That leads to depression. So right now I am in a tough spot. Go back to anxiety, or stay depressed? I don't feel like this throwing darts type treatment is good. Either something works or it doesn't. In my opinion, if the side effect are worse than the problem, drug doesn't work."

Rob1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I lived with anxiety/depression for years. Everyday felt like a struggle. I experienced a period of intense stress during grad school in my early 30's, and decided to seek help. If I only did this in my 20's I could have accomplished so much more. Celexa took away my anxiety and depression, but it took a couple months to work on 20mg. I felt like myself, I felt happy. I had no side effect, no weight gain, nothing. Since I felt so great I attempted to taper down and had bad withdrawal. I decided to stay on it. My 20mg stopped working after two years so I got up to 30mg...I think it "pooped out". I have bad depression now- sleeping all the time and anxious. I was switched to an SNRI, but celexa changed my life and I'm glad I tried it first."

Beachboxer (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "When I first started I was experiencing anxiety disorder and panic attacks. I was informed that it may get worse when I started taking the medication - hmm not really something you want to hear when you want to get better. I feel just as anxious now and I did before taking the medication, and even in those first weeks. I have gradually went from 10 - 30mg dosage per day, and this is nearly the end of my 9th month on the medication. I really don't think people can tell whether it does anything or not - there are far too many variables involved to get a confirmed truth on psychoactive medications. I think we are being sold on ' I believe ' in a pill."

Svissloki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started on 10mg, then after 2 months 20mg, then after 2 months 30mg. So all in all I have been taking Citalopram for 9 months for GAD. I don't notice any difference. The only thing that kept the anxiety and upset at bay all these months was benzodiazipines - saying that I even had a panic attack while on benzodiazipines too, so nothing works. I get the feeling that we are all been taken for fools."

Svissloki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I would just like to say that these reviews can seem scary to someone. I thought the same after reading them. I decided to go ahead anyway with the citalopram. Started on 10mg then 20mg and now 40mg. These do make a great difference. In terms of side effects it wasn't bad for me. I found I was tired during the day and always kept yawning loads. Had odd sensation in my head for first few days. Apart from those symptoms I was fine."

KAY87 December 17, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am on this medication for generalized anxiety and panic disorder. Even though it says it is an antidepressant, I have used this with great success in reducing my daily anxiety. I am currently on a 30mg dose and it seems to have levelled me out pretty well. The only side effect I would complain about is the insomnia BUT it gets better after about 6 weeks. I went many nights being able to fall asleep only to wake up a few hours later and be wide awake unable to return to sleep. I began using melatonin at night, and after about 6 weeks I have had a much easier time with sleep. I can make you a bit lethargic during the day, but nothing I am unable to handle. With minor side effects and help with the anxiety, I highly recommend."

J137B (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "THis is the third time I am on Cit. this time its 30 mg. The first time was 10 mg and then 20 mg and now 30 mg. I am very sensitive to the side effect. Anxiety increases (both mental and physical symptoms). Now after 7.5 weeks (5 weeks on 20 mg and 2.5 weeks on 30 mg) feeling a lot better. The physical symptoms are close to gone. The enthusiasm to do all the chores, office work is slowly (very slowly) coming back. Waiting to feel my old self again."

pdey (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

For Depression: "So far so good! I'm currently on 150mg Wellbutrin XL, and was just on 5mg of lexepro for the past 9 months. I could not tolerate the side effects at 10mg (extreme hunger all the time, burping all day, gaining weigh rapidly even when combined with the WB XL). 5mg was not enough serotonin for me and I've tried all the SSRIs (except Celexa bc my pDoc said its the same/dirtier version of lexepro) and can't do any of them b/c of the GI side effects. I was about to try another SNRI but then asked him to at least try celexa once to make sure I can't do it. Well, I'm on day 5 of 20mg and I'm not having the same hunger issues at all! Some burping on day 3 and 4 but none today. Hoping this is the ticket. :) So frustrated with years of med trials!"

allison_G (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I had severe anxiety and agoraphobia. Every time I would get in a car I would wonder if I was going to die that day. These symptoms all started when I had children. I started to wonder what would happen to my children if something happened to me. And I thought about how attached they are to me and how it would break their hearts. So I told my doctor about it. She prescribed Celexa. I've been on it for about 2 months now and the quality of my life has changed so drastically. I'm not always thinking about dying. I'm able to go out in crowds and not be worried. Yesterday I was dealing with something stressful and I was stressed about it, but I stayed calm and I moved on. It didn't consume me like stressful events used to do."

JLK87 December 13, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This is one of the worst drugs I have ever tried. I was on 60 mg and I don't recommend to go above 40 mg if you have bipolar it made me feel like a zombie and confused don't know whether I was happy or normal no emotions also gave me terrible vivid dreams every single day and thats bad and did nothing for my OCD but it may work for you I just gave my experience."

Heisenberg1100 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have been on celexa for a bit over a year to treat my clinical depression which I had for 5 years and general anxiety which I had for 3, and it has literally saved my life. I started with 5mg and worked up to 40mg, and I've never felt better than I do after being on celexa. It's helped me so much, I can finally live and enjoy my life again"

Jess_18 December 7, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "Only 10mg made me feel dead inside"

raquel26 December 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was on 20mg for about 9 months for severe panic disorder. I was having 2-3 panic attacks per day. Once I was on the med for two weeks I was so much better. Unfortunately about 9 months in the panic attacks came back worse than before. Only side effects were mild nausea and sore leg muscles during the first few days."

J1988 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "2nd time on Celexa. First was in 2011. I weaned myself of. Started 20mg daily this year due to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. No I'll side effects. It's a blessing to me."

GeckoBrak November 27, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "My doctor started me off with 10mg then two weeks after I went up to 20mg. I feel great and my depression is gone. However, ive been on it for a month and a half and find that I can't sleep. Before celexa I was sleeping too much and now I cant sleep unless I recreationally take xanax. Now my anxiety is high because I can't sleep and when I do sleep it's because of xanax which makes me sleep for 12 hours and then I wake up late and I'm unmotivated to do anything. Should I see my doctor for this? I love xanax cause it makes me feel better for my anxiety a night but I'm scared I'll start abusing it especially since I don't have a prescription."

Becca136 November 27, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I had been on Wellbutrin, which worked great for me but my insurance would not cover the cost and my insurance does cover Celexa so my Dr. switched me to Celexa to see if it would work for me. The first 2 weeks I felt great! I had tons of energy and just felt really good. I did have some mild nausea but not something that I couldn't handle. After 2 weeks I started feeling extremly tired and went from sleeping 6-7 hours per night (the most I have ever slept at night) to sleeping 10 hours a night. I also feel really tired and just blah all day. I got to the point that I just feel numb and stopped caring about anything. Dishes and laundry piled up, don't care. Family needs dinner, don't care. Needless to say I will be switching meds!"

DanniLeigh November 25, 2016