User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 10 reviews 40 medications

Hot Flashes 4 reviews 19 medications

Dysthymia 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1111 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Citalopram

For Depression: "I was severely depressed with huge mood swings, anxiety and really stressed. When I first started taking these, the initial side effects were overwhelming, so bad that I had to stay off work. They made me more anxious, sick and really dizzy. I also really struggled to sleep if I took them at around teatime. This made me take them every other day or twice a week because they made everything seem worse ( even though I knew deep down they would help) after about 3.5 week of beating around the bush with them I felt no side effects and then took them everyday. After about a week I felt uplifted, that shadow and helplessness gone and it gave me the courage to leave my house and go to the gym. I take them everyday now and I feel better everyday"

Sadmatty (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Sweating that I could not stand clothes on. No sleep. Hallucinations B/P way over 250/ 135 crazy was hospitalized and test run doctors are stumped , I read on the drug but was not enough information as this has given me. not taking it tomorrow. and seeing my Cardiologist on Thurs. They did not prescribe it my GP did ,as I had lost my beloved husband of 57 /1/2 years and my children all are out of town,and have all new and busy neighbors, was put on Lexapro a couple of weeks before my husband passed away and had no problems."

Nafah August 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on Citalopram for just over two months now, I have noticed a HUGE difference. I went from being depressed and wishing my whole existence away every night to "going to bed with a smile on my face" basically. I spend a lot more time with my family, I get out a lot more, and I am much more motivated. I have not noticed a change in anxiety though..."

AluminumBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Hello everyone, I've been on Celexa for almost 5 months now. On my 5th month, my doc bumped me up to 60mg. I initially started taking Celexa for depression. At first it seemed like I had a ton of energy, and I felt better than ever. After the first month, I was not feeling better anymore. Although my dosage has increased, I still don't feel a sense of relief. I do however have no anxiety. I don't dwell on mistakes I make like I used to. I actually feel very relaxed. So relaxed to where, I'm very lazy. I think I've gained at least 7 lbs on Celexa, probably mainly due to my sedentary lifestyle. I really don't have much energy to do anything. I can function and go to work and all, I just feel blah."

vagabond16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have had diverticulitis for year's, have been in the hospital 3 times with it. Doctors told me it was the foods I ate, I tried to tell them I watch what I eat and don't eat anything that would bring a flare up. Then the last time I was in the hospital the ER doctor put me on Citalopram for anxisty, I had no side affects, things didn't upset me as much anymore. I have been on it for over a year and no flare ups of diverticulitis. I can eat anything now with no problem, this drug may not work for everyone. But for me it saved my life."

Bodieboy August 18, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was originally on Buspar but for some reason the anxiety started to come back. So I went to my PCP and after talking options it was decided 10mg of Celexa would help. So this is the 17th day on Cit and things seem to be starting to even out.Had stomach issues on days 1-3 but went away. Sexual effects also popped up but after checking with the wife things still work on request, but just takes a bit longer.One thing that's certainly still there is the increased anxiety. It's not as bad as it was but still there.If you decide to go with this this really can make the anxiety worse.So between the 60mg of Buspar, the occasional Propranolol for the days the anxiety is super bad cuz of Celexa (which is getting better) I think this drug will work."

Thunder111 (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've only been taking this medication for a week so I can't say whether or not it will work, but so far side effects have been anxiety heightened more than before, which is the primary reason for me taking it. I wake up in full blown panic, and it's happened throughout the day as well. I have a lack of appetite, and cannot sleep through the night. At one point I even had suicidal thoughts, which I have never had in my life. Keep in mind this medication affects everyone differently."

Alexa676 August 17, 2016

For Depression: "Taken this drug for 8 days , 10mg. Did suffer with some of the side affects and have swapped from taking it in the morning to at night which has made a big difference. Still early days to comment about my mood but do feel this tablet has improved things for me so far."

Swainey (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2016

For Depression: "Has been a god send without this medicine there is no way I would still have my family. I can now control my thoughts and my actions like never before. My depression manifested itself through anger no longer do I become angry for no reason. I now have control over my depression."

Revolcisum (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

For Depression: "Although cipram initially seemsd to help me over a bad patch ( divorce ) I lost my ability to enjoy sex , achieve orgasm Previously enjoyed a happy active fulfilling and pleasurable sex life. When I was ready to date again and have new boyfriends this was frustrating and caused deeper unhappiness and sadness .. I'm hoping my pleasure will return .. Wish I'd never taken it !"

Sadder (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started on Celexa 20mg for anxiety in hopes to stop my Xanax. 6 hours after my 2nd dose I felt VERY IRRITABLE my skin felt like it was burning, I was at work and in my bosses office and stripped of my clothes and I couldn't help it. I felt jittery and like I wasn't myself. I will never take this again"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have had panic attacks and anxiety for many years. This year, I found out that I had colon cancer, got referred to a surgeon and had surgery within 2 weeks. I found that the panic attacks and anxiety, sometimes sadness and crying bouts started as I began to recover and process this experience. My doctor recommended Celexa over Cymbalta because she said that with women in particular, this was better for anxiety as opposed to depression. So far, I've found that the drug makes me sleepy and a little muddled in thinking right after I take it. I did have some nausea, but that went away quickly. I'm switching to taking it at night since I feel pretty good about 12 hours after taking it. It does relieve anxiety and am panic attacks."

Osepha August 13, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "25 yr old, female. I've been taking 20 mg for 2 weeks now. Only side effect was insomnia so I started taking it in the morning. Maybe a loss in sex drive? No other side effects though. It hasn't kicked in yet."

Lexington40 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) I was previously on cipralex and felt like a zombie taking it. I didn't want to take it anymore so my doctor prescribed me celexa about a month ago. I have a bit of a hard time sleeping, tossing and turning but overall I do get my rest. I feel drowsy after the first few hours of taking it. Little bit irritable sometimes, short of patience. Over all I'm not overthinking at night anymore, not stressing nearly as much and actually have motivation to do the things I want to."

Jayme12345 August 8, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I took Celexa for 2 weeks and quit because the side effects are INSANE. I rolled for the first 3 days. I felt AMAZING... waves of euphoria, pretty dancing rainbows, everything sensory felt incredible BUT I had no emotion or empathy and only cared about feeling good and stopped caring about people in my life or work. Had no regard for consequences, yelled at people who "ruined my vibe", refused to help people at work. Day 3 I jumped from 6 cigarettes a day to a pack and a half because it felt so good to smoke. Treated my husband as a personal servant only there to make me feel good and yelled at him if I was slightly bothered. No anxiety at all, but turned me into a hedonistic jerk who cared about nothing but immediate sensory gratification."

CelexaWasLikeMDMAforMe (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Just got prescribed 10 milligrams, Thank God I decided to cut it in half just to see how I reacted to it, took it at night. Felt the effects in about a half hour, didn't sleep to well, felt wierd. Got in the morning to let the dog out and almost hit the floor, very dizzy. I do feel more relaxed today, and somewhat better. I was told most people don't even know they are taking it , starts to work in about 4 weeks. Not me must be very sensative to it. I think I will try 5 milligrams again tonight and see how it goes. I will keep you all informed."

Con 22250 August 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "First time ever trying any medication for anxiety which I have struggled with for years. I took Celexa for 6 days 10/mg once a day. Throughout taking it, I noticed that my feelings started to dull. Everything was very level and it was hard to be anxious - or excited, or happy, or really much of anything. I got sexual side effects starting on the 3rd day, which was the deal breaker for me. As much as I liked that it calmed my racing thoughts, the constant fog, feeling of not being myself/me, and the inability to orgasm made it no-go for me. Celexa WAS effective for my GAD / social anxiety, but the side effects were terrible."

sketchai (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

For Depression: "A couple of years ago I ended up with anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed Citalopram. I started at 20mg and after a couple of weeks increased my dosage to 40mg. There were side effects. Sweats, waking up at 3:00 and not able to get back to sleep. It took sbout 6 weeks before I felt great. Much happier, little to no anxiety and my wife notice the change for the better. I stayed on Citalopram for about 6 months and over a month kept reducing my dosage by 10mg weekly until I was off the meds. I had no withdrawal at all. Felt great as I went off the meds. Had some personal problem that sent me sideways and the doctor put me back on Citalopram. took about 6 weeks for it to work just like the first time. Feeling myself again"

G-Mann 1953 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am a 35 year old mom of 2. I've always tried to manage my anxiety on my own by always keeping active. The more I stayed focused on a task, the less I worried about something else. Losing my father, going through a separation, 5 deaths in my family in less then 3 years. I wasn't happy with my career and I had all of this on my mind being a single mom. I managed, I continued to smile, I didn't feel sad all the time. I just became a worry animal. I would lash out, get angry, scream and panic. Still through all of my anxiety I tried to do it on my own. Until my doctor prescripted Celexa. One day I noticed a difference. It's been 1 year and I am living a much fuller and happy life. The meds have helped me relax and breath for once in my life."

NATC July 27, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "My doctor prescribed this for my Menopausal mood swings and headaches. It worked for a while and then I started having profuse sweating, not that I needed any help in that department due to my hot flashes! I would be soaked at work and if I just did the smallest chore at home. I weaned off and am now trying Effexor."

JustANurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been taking this med for two weeks now. I am starting to feel a bit better. I take 10mg once a day. First 4 days I had insomnia, sweating and feeling tired. Now I can't tell I have any side effects. Everyday it seems to be better. Feeling more motivated and regained clear mind. My doctor told me I will be on this need at least 1 year. I am going through separation and med was given for stress and anxiety. I would recommend this med to everyone . It's helping me."

Umolown July 26, 2016

For Depression: "I'm on 40mg a day, did take sertraline, mirtazapine now on these, don't think they do anything to me, doctor says he don't know if I got bi polar or schizophrenia lol, that's what u get for being honest. did stop them once for week as thought doing nothing, never felt so ill in my life if that's a cold turkey. I'm 35 anyone else on 40mg? "

obviously depressed (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Ive had an amazing experience with this drug, I've been on it for close to over a year, because of my lifestyle and work I was always in high stress environments and I had anxiety to begin with. A lot of my personality traits before I started citalopram were similar to one's of borderline personality disorder (though I don't actually have bpd) I take 20 MG. After about a month I could feel my mood increase and work started to seem a lot less frustrating, my only side effect is I bruise easily but I already did before the drug so to me it's not a huge deal. It's amazing how helpful this drug has been for me, it's created me any positive things for me, I feel almost "normal". I recommend you take it DAILY. Don't give up on this pill"

StressedBartender (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2016

For Depression: "This medication did a generally good job of changing my depression from excruciating sadness to mindless zombie. I was tired all the time and had extreme brain fog, (couldn't think straight... or at all). I felt kind of good, but I couldn't actually feel pleasure from anything or focus. I was like a cat and just sort of lay around in a state of contented dissociation. Was on and off it a few times for up to several months. Found the majority of it's effects subsided after a few months and I was back to feeling empty and sad all the time. Good medication for having a break from misery, but wasn't very useful for actually recovering from my depression or getting my life back."

Kyle BC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Been on it for three years now after what seems a lifetime of swings into depression and out. This drug has stopped that and keeps me on a level that helps me to function. Previously 40mg now 20mg is good for me. The reduced dose also helps my libido as the higher stopped me being able to ejaculate. So alls good now. Though my gp thinks now I'm cured I should stop the medication altogether. I think if I do I will experience the return of my ups and horrid downs"

Ive171 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2016