User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

4.2
Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1297 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Citalopram

For Depression: "Best thing I've had! The side effects where pretty bad in the first week (anxiety, low mood, fatigue but can't sleep, hot sweats) but 4 weeks later I feel great! Please don't let the side effects put you off, I was anxious to take them as I have really bad emetophobia and was worried about the nausea but once it passes it's great. So glad I stuck to it! The only negatives is that I've had such bizarre dreams since taking this medication but its fun to laugh at the next day! Stay strong everyone!"

SLJ1106 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am 47 yrs old and female. I have had issues with my mood around my periods since having my children. It's like a roller coaster every month. The closer to "That time" the more emotional I become! I had spoke to 3 different doctors, over the years, and got no help. One told me to go on birth control, another said to see an OB, the best told me it must just be my personality!!! Finally found a Dr who would listen! I had tension headaches and mood swings. He gave me citalopram 10mg and a muscle relaxer (as needed). After a year and a half, I have not had mood swings like I did before! I wish the others would have listened to me earlier. I would definitely suggest this medication! My only side effect is sleepiness, so I take it at night"

MamaSandD June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "For 8 years I have suffered from anxiety and depression, and this last year I began having debilitating panic attacks, most often while driving. I was very much against the idea of taking medicine as I thought I could heal myself. When things hit rock bottom I decided I had nothing left to lose. I started 10mg four days ago and it is the best decision I have ever made for myself. Day one was a bit strange and had one major panic attack, but since then have had zero anxiety or panic and zero side effects. I even went for a joy ride today in my car, because now I can drive without fear! Please please seek help if you're struggling, my only regret is not starting this medicine sooner."

Panicmachine (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started taking 20mg 2 months ago and I noticed a difference after the first week. My issues stemmed from overly panicking about everything and crying hysterically whenever anything small went wrong with my relationship. Soon as the medication started to work I developed more independence. I struggled to cry (I could cry... but after crying a bit, my body/brain stopped me from being able to cry hysterically like I used to). I also found that I cared more about myself and not silly arguments I was having with my partner. Since the medication has worked, if we argue, I'm calm and I realise my worth so much more. I would definitely recommend this medication to anyone who panics or cries unnecessarily. I've had no trouble sleeping ever either"

Zoe1051 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "In January I could feel a depressive episode I have been on 10mg before. I decided to go back on it. Last time I took it I had no side effects at all. so I thought it would be easy to get back on it I was wrong! Started on 10mg after a few weeks I was so ill I lost 7lbs vomited had the runs for 8 weeks, headaches, no sleep, cried each day could not get out of bed. Thought my life was over. The thing is I've been through this before I knew it must be the drug making me feel like the this. Went to 20 then 30 but felt worse so I tried coming off it .As I came down to 10mg it kicked in at week 11! I am so happy I persisted, I went through hell but it has transformed my life once again. I feel alive! Persist for at least 3 months before you give up!"

Sunshine_83 June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I left a review not so long ago on my 2nd day describing the horrendous side effects I was feeling and thought I would update. My side effects have passed thankfully (I'm on my 15th day), I still get hot flashes but I also have a cold so I'm not putting the whole blame on the medication! My anxiety hasn't fully passed yet but without the side effects I'm willing to keep going as I've seen it can take 4-6 weeks to fully kick in. I'm so glad I didn't let the side effects put me off taking anymore! Hopefully I will continue to improve :)."

SJ2101 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Please try!!!!! I was like you reading these reviews scared to death to start taking this drug. I am so glad I did. The first 2 weeks I felt Iike I was pregnant. Nauseous and sleepy. After that I just gradually started feeling better. Anxiety has gone and life is on the up and up. I should have taken this 20 years ago. All the worries sort of just fade away. Good luck and please give it a shot!"

Mag pie June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Posted nearly a year ago about how I was going which was good at the time. Having been on them for 12 months I thought I could do an update. Has been really good for me. I suffer all the severe physical symptoms that come with anxiety and citalopram keeps them in check. I do notice if I forget to take my dose (20mg) for more then 2-3 days my anxiety flares up again. I still have the occasional off day but its never been anywhere near my pre medication days. Happy with the low dose. I really recommend exercise and eating well if you suffer anxiety. You can't make a judgement on only a weeks worth or less of taking this drug. I see lots of people posting 1 star after a day on it. You need at least 4-6 weeks to see changes."

Lingling90 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was on citalopram a few years ago for a year. It helped my sadness, my mood swings, my anger and irritability I felt day in and day out. It was a great med. My only complaint is how numbing it was to the good feelings as much as the bad feelings. I stayed on it because it was still better than waking up and hating everyday before it even started. The gas was almost intolerable only because I have chronic idiopathic constipation. I weighed out the good and bad & feeling mentally good for me and especially for my my kids definitely won. I'm now on it again...3 days in and already feel more calm and less moody. It's a great feeling."

Sunshinehotmail.com (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started off on a really low dose. Which I felt made a slight difference to my mood, but none whatsoever on my anxiety. When I increased the dose... it still didn't make any difference, but made me very fatigued and gave me really intense stomach pains. So, not a good experience for me."

Kinsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Worked extremely quickly for me and had a strong effect on a low dose. Was on it for 8 months with bearable side effects. Transformed my life for the better; more energy, better focus, more positive thinking, more socially inclined. Saved my life when I needed it but had side effects for me including: constipation, bloating and gas (all day every day), and occasionally a jittery feeling or increased anxiety. I had to stop taking it because it caused high blood pressure for me. None of the doctors believed that citolopram was the cause of my unusual high blood pressure (I'm young, active, and thin) but I tapered off the medication and my blood pressure went from stage 2 high blood pressure (really really scary high) to completely normal."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am 42 yrs and have been on 40 mg celexa for years. It did help with my anxiety 100% however all I do is sleep and lay and watch TV when I am awake. I DO NOT WANT to do ANYTHING or go ANY WHERE!! I do the bare minimum of my house work when before I was OCD about my home. You could literally eat off the floor, my house did not even look lived in. Celexa has taking many years of my life!! I have decided to taper and been taking 30 mg for a week and already feel SO MUCH BETTER!! I have been doing things around my house that I have neglected before and have plans to do so much more. Also going somewhere does not sound horrible. I mean I did not even go to family functions!! I am on my way of taking my life back!"

Krystal74 June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was put on 20mg citalopram in October 2016. I have always had issues with depression but managed to get myself through by exercising. I lost my nan in the January and the grief was a bit too much. Anxiety depression and awful paranoia and panic attacks. I was promised it was for 3-6 months and then I would be off. No side effects nothing to worry about. But I feel hungover or foggy most mornings it takes a lot to motivate me. Where I used to get up and go to the gym or to a class I don't want to, I doubt myself all the time. I feel constantly tired and numb with no feeling whatsoever I have put on weight and feel so uncomfortable in my own skin"

Ktyfrl3 June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Saved my life."

msmarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I love Celexa. I was getting depressed after long hours of med school and studying and feeling like I had no time enjoyment. Celexa took about 3 weeks to work, but it worked and continues to work. I no longer feel depressed every day. Sometimes I sink into depression, but I am able to snap out of it much quicker. I feel less moody, and my boyfriend has noticed an improvement in my mood. The only side effect I experience is decreased sex drive/harder time climaxing, but I would prefer that over going off the deep end. I will continue to take this and consider weening myself from it once life is less stressful. Great medicine that can save your life."

I love Celexa (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Been on this medication for 10 years now. Not much to complain about here. Tried to up dose from 20mg to 40mg during a difficult time but went went back down due to hypotension when getting up to quickly while sitting or laying."

Jlclark June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Had my second dose today and so far not so good. Before starting citalopram I suffered from GAD alone but since starting them, I feel so much more anxious and depressed, I've spent my day trying to shut people off including my own mum, I just haven't been in the mood to talk to anyone or even get up to walk the dog. After seeing so many reviews saying how much better it'll get I've decided I'll try my hardest to stick to taking citalopram, I just hope it'll be as life changing as many people have said on here! I haven't had many other side effects other than a little bit of nausea and a loss of appetite and a lot of sweating."

Lynsey5670 June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I'm on my second day of Citalopram and on a 20mg dose, so far I've felt awful. I've had a little bit of nausea, hot sweats, my head feels spaced out, I'm tired but I can't sleep and I've lost motivation to do anything. I've also lost my appetite too. I'm on the verge of giving up after seeing a lot of reviews say side effects can last weeks because I'm not sure I can continue feeling this rubbish for a few weeks, the only thing keeping me going is people who say it does get better."

SJ2101 June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I took 10 mg for 10 days and then 20 mg per day. It was working well only few side effects in the first 10 days , like being tired and dizzy. I am able to sleep well and my heart is not giving me hard time with palpitations or chest pain. I found that after I take the medication in the morning , it is better to sleep or to lay down. At night it is easy to go to sleep. Sunlight is a good addition to the medication to help me to get better ( vitamin D). I found that drinking a lot of water and walking are helping me too. The medication started to help me from the first day. Good luck!"

MCgarden (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "When I was on Celexa years ago it worked wonderfully for me, night and day. I came off and tried natural treatments for a year and a half with no success so I went back on Celexa (again at 40 mg a day as I was on before.) It definitely helps me a lot but it isn't as helpful as before when I took it. I've added abilify 2 months ago (5mg) but it still isn't quite enough. I feel like my functionality is at about 60-70% now (compared to ~10% without Celexa) --My GP has referred me to a psychiatrist and I hope I can find something or a combo of things to help me get to 100% again soon. I don't have any bad side effects from Celexa and it helps me with anxiety within 24 hours and depression within 2 weeks of starting."

Cari73762518276 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I take my medication (40mgms) in the evening. It works great for me but I am so slow to get going in the morning and am a bit wound up (even though I am very tired ) in the evening. What time do other people find works best for them?"

Prairie girl May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Severe Mood Dysregulation: "I had extreme anxiety to the point I could not function in daily life. Started using Celexa 20mg. Totally changed my life."

extreme anxiety (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I never review anything, but this I had to review!! This stuff has basically given me my life back! Before I started taking this I had severe depression issues, high anxiety and stress, and a touch of PTSD. Since taking this stuff all of that has faded especially anxiety and stress. This stuff is a blessing! I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg in the evening. Took it about two weeks or so to kick in, but once it did my god it was incredible!! I still get depressed, but it's nowhere near as bad as it use to be. As far as side effects go, I haven't had any!! They must be very rare. Would recommend this to anyone! I am a riverboat pilot, so if any offshore or towboat pilots are looking into trying this---it IS a coast guard approved med. "

Beacon Beckman! May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "This drug used to do wonders. I went on it because one antidepressant wasn't enough to get me out of bed and moving. It lifted me up and gave me the motivation to be able to take care of my daily living needs and hold a stable job. The side effect that causes them to take me off of it was because it was making me manic (as I am bipolar) and it caused me to make quick, risky, and ill-advised life decisions. Taking me off the drug has effectively stopped the quick life decision side effect, and after getting off of it, I've been able to think more clearly, be more mindful of my movement and thought-processes, and gave me a general feeling of wellness. The negative of getting off of it, however, is that I lost my ability to sleep well."

Non-Professional Patient (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on generic celexa for about two weeks now. I was searching for something to help me with deteriorating anxiety. I had no idea it would also make me less irrational, and nicer. I don't get upset over everything now. I feel confident and myself again. Lots of side effects though. Currently have a hollow feeling at all times, very spaced out, memory loss, cannot orgasm, insomnia, unable to tell when I am hungry, and since I have upped my dose to 20mg I also clench my jaw often. For me the good out weighs the bad though. I am just happy to not be feeling so manic nonstop"

Air321 May 22, 2017