User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 13 reviews 44 medications

Hot Flashes 4 reviews 19 medications

Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1215 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Citalopram

For Anxiety and Stress: "This medication works so well for me. I was having spikes with my blood pressure but only at night. I couldn't sleep well at all, so much anxiety about my blood pressure, and heart rate. I am really strong minded but this got the best of me. I reported this to my family Doctor and she prescribed citalopram 20 mg... not asking much about this drug I started it and much to my surprise I sleep like a baby and no more spikes with Blood pressure. I wake feeling refreshed no hangover and ready to meet the day. I don't have a problem being depressed at all, it was situational but this drug is a Godsent !!"

Linda Carol T February 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Update from my post a few weeks ago: I have been on Celexa now for about a month and have increased my dosage of Celexa to 20 mg. I feel like I can concur the world again! The night sweats have passed and I am calm and collected now. My thoughts are not focused around worry anymore and I can rationalize every day challenges again. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking this for the past 9 days the first two days a had bad really bad diarrhea but after the first two days that went . I've read posts on here of men saying they just can't get an erection that's not been an problem with me at all it just takes a lot more effort to unload which can be tense but can also be a good thing. I've been drinking pretty heavy on it and it doesn't effect the drinking at all apart from some days you just don't want as much as normal which is a good thing. Even after the 9 days I've been on it I've been a lot happier in the day time and gone back to my funny sort of self . Don't take any notice of people's videos and thoughts on citalopram just try it your self . Sorry for spelling keep happy ."

Wales uk February 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Panic Disorder: "I was on a 40 mg dosage for about 6 months. All my attacks went away. I stopped taking it for months and they came back. I have been put back on 40 mg again. I have been on this for 12 days now."

Shocky gg February 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I took these for 3 days and felt completely out of it and utterly paranoid and much more depressed than before taking them. I had previously been on Sertraline which side effects only lasted a day for me and were pretty successfull long term. Citalopram did not agree with me at all and I feel I would have to go on sick from work to let them settle for which I have heard could be up to 5 weeks! Other symptoms I endured: not being able to eat for 3 days, diarhhea, buzzing in legs and arms, paranoia, zero interest in anything, being stuck in my thoughts (not where you want to be when depressed). I admit 3 days is not near enough time to allow it to settle but I would be jeapordizing my job by continuing this medication."

Lall2007 February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I got prescribed this medication for mild anxiety & minor depression. I usually get overwhelmed by things that should feel not so worrisome, & replay things that irritate or upset me over & over in my head. I've been on a light dose of Celexa for about a week now. I take it at night & don't have trouble sleeping. I will say right when it hits 645 - 7am I wake up & am immediately wide awake though. I have definitely noticed a positive change. Not a huge one, but just enough to make me feel more "normal". I can be a bit of a drag sometimes, & just not my peppy self that I know is hiding in me. This has made me feel much more of a positive peppy "good parts of myself" come out more & I can manage my stress better & lighter than I was before."

AEsp February 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I struggled with anxiety & depression for years and suffered silently. At 42 yrs of age I asked my GP for help and he put me on 20mg . My anxiety is a thing of the past with no panic attacks and now go shopping on my own with ease. It changed my life!"

Retired corrections officer (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I love Celexa. I have anxiety and it was really starting to effect my performance in college. I started Celexa (10mg) and the first 2 weeks were miserable! I was seriously depressed but after that two week adjustment phase it worked wonderfully! I could feel a tangible difference overnight! I love it but I would warn that the adjustment phase is brutal."

pacea February 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I'm on the generic version Citolopram. First 10mg for 7 days then up'd to 20mg. Now on that for little over 4 weeks. Still feel blah. I've been switching when I take it to see if it helps sleep. Well apparently you need to take at night! It's cousin to lexapro. I just took my 20mg at 9a.m.(to see) an its 2 hrs later an I'm very sleepy. I'm giving it 6 wks . I'm on med #7. I hope this works. Not many left for me to try. Not much side effects with Celexa. Occasional anxiety but I also have Klonapine when needed. So going back to take at night. I am having night sweats occasionally also but lethargy during day."

Zio10 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety and Stress: "WAS prescribed celexa for IBS,. Wasn't depressed until I started taking this for IBS. I'm irritated and don't understand why I can't take the librax which cured stomach cramps and acid reflux disease. Now I'm in pain, sad and depressed from the pain."

Dddddddddd (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medicine seemed to be helping with my anxiety somewhat, but I had to stop taking it because it was making me extremely forgetful! I would forget simple things, like my daughter had to go to school, what I had for lunch, just things you shouldn't forget. I felt in a fog..was very strange. I'm currently looking for another medication to help with my anxiety and depression, so far no luck :("

AmberLP February 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Completely effective. No side effects other than me being slightly more anxious after my first few doses, which was likely due to fear of possible side effects. Started to take effect after about three weeks. Been on it for three months and excessive anxiety has disappeared and I now wake up feeling great most mornings. Still go through normal cycle of emotions but it's like night and day compared to before i was taking it. Highly recommend it."

guy who took citalopram (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Coming onto this medication at first I didn't notice anything in particular. I was on the train and I just noticed that my disoriented thoughts and feeling super nervous calmed quite a bit. I did notice I didn't talk as much as I did before I started the medication. It helpsx with my depersonalization. But at the same time it adds fuel to my underlying depression that I had in the past. At the same time I believe that's a good thing. Because it's helping me heal hidden broken parts of myself. It especially helps when talking to my therapist about my past. I hate how tired I am, as I am typing this I think I yawned at least 8 times. Delayed orgasms suck as well...but sometimes I take a day off from taking one pill so it's okay."

brittneywins (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "this made me very weak and made my panic attacks worse. I had almost all side effects including weight loss as I'm already a thin person so I binned it after a few days. I went to my doctor and suggested zoloft instead and it had NO side effects and that helped my panic attacks go."

Blade Runner (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "Since 2007, I've taken Lexapro in varying doses from 10 - 40 mg. Now 2017, I believe it no longer worked as it once did. My Psychiatrist had mentioned Celexa to me, explaining it's basically the same compound construction but ONE Molecule. I have marked Depression, but also suffer from Stress, Anxiety, Post-traumatic Stress, some OCD tendencies, ADHD & sleep issues. I have been on 20 mg of this, Celexa, now for over a week and immediately, within 2-3 days, felt the difference, in a great way! My body is extremely sensitive to certain types of Psych meds. My body also metabolizes medications differently from season to season. I believe at the right dose of this, Celexa, I will be able to come off of the 2mg of Clonazepam. Give it time!"

FeFe Dev (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "My mother is 100 1/2 years old and has been living in a nursing home for the past 10 years. Last year she developed severe anxiety (not really depression), fearful of almost everything around her. Totally irrational. At the request of the family, the nursing home put her on 20 mg Celexa and her mood turned around almost immediately with no side effects. She was cheerful again and was willing to take life as it came her way. To see if she could function on a lower dose, about a month ago they dropped her dose to 10 mg and the anxiety returned. Today her dose was brought back up to 20 mg, and we are anticipating a return to her non-anxious self."

Dr BobR February 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have severe anxiety at work and suffer from OCD. It got to the point where I was having chest pains, shortness of breath, and panic attacks at work. I have taken Xanax occasionally and it seems to help, but only temporarily. I am not a "pill popper" and was very disagreeable when my DR suggested I take a SSRI. I reluctantly agreed to take Celexa as I was in fear of loosing my job. I have been taking 10 mg for two weeks now and I am already seeing a difference. I do not feel anxious or panicky as much and I am able to think with a clear head. I do not seem to worry either. The only side effect so far is hot flashes at night. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 February 2, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "I've been taking citalopram for 6 years, I come off it when I occasionally go backpacking for a few months. The last time I did this, after about 5 weeks started to feel very depressed. I cut my travels short due to severe anxiety and an inability to connect - I felt so low and not in control of my dark thoughts. I cried often and felt very lost, had terrible insomnia also. I have had some traumatic experiences in life and I've now started therapy for this and I realise this is probably where my issues come from, however citalopram allows me to function, my mood becomes more stable and my thoughts far more rational. every time I come off it, I eventually become highly anxious and depressed and sucked into a hole. started back on it today!"

d88 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "For the last 15 years I've changed I didn't know what was wrong never wanting to leave my tiny little bedroom not caring what was going on anywhere making excuses not to leave my little comfort zone the funny thing is that I was always an outside person hated being inside now I don't care if I live or die I think it would be better if I would die I think about the unthinkable all of the time I need serious help but don't want to go to a doctor don't like going out does anyone have any suggestions?? I was given this medicine by a doctor about 6 months ago does anyone think it will help I'm on my last hope!!"

Kayfant February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "20mg Citalipram was prescribed by my doctor for depression. A few things, one of them maybe odd, that I've noticed over the past two years of being on it. I felt queasy and had slight nausea the first couple of weeks but then that settled down to a nice sheen of calm over me or something. Very nice. But I began having difficulty getting an erection or ejaculating strongly. I figured a permanent side effect. The thing is that around 6 months later, I started having very strong erections and deep orgasms. Much stronger than I've historically had. When my doctor eventually decreased my dose to 15mg and now 10mg, orgasms are now much less intense. It seems my side effects differ from others sexually."

20mgCitalopram January 31, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "I had been experiencing severe depression and anxiety for 3 months due to a relationship break-up and unemployment. Crying at least every other day. Deep sadness. Despair. Really hurting. Also had bad free-floating anxiety. Could feel it come over my body. Horrible feeling. Had no appetite(lost about 9 lbs over 3 months). Sleep maintainence trouble. Would fall asleep but couldnt stay asleep. Libido was gone. Went to Dr. Was prescribed cit. 20 mg daily. Within 1 week, crying stopped and sadness was gone. I mean, gone! By end of second week anxiety was gone. By 3rd week my appetite was back. Over the 4th week my sleep has improved. Side effects mild. If you can relate to these symptoms try this med. I thank God I did"

njehealed (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Ok Please read this if starting out on citalopram and worried. I have bad OCD and anxiety. I started taking citalopram in October, started off on 10mg I won't lie and say side effects are easy but it DOES get easier and they DO go away but it does take time, stick with it ,queasiness , lucid dreams , no sleep ,hands burning up felt spaced out a bit. I was going to give up after a week but they did subside after couple weeks and your body gets used to them so stick in there. Eat before taking them, bananas I found easy to eat when side effects took my hunger , if you have to up dose I bought a pill cutter and went up 2.5 mg at a time so now on 20 mg and getting there , please keep at it and good luck to all x"

Please keep at it .... January 28, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I being on Celexa 20 mg for 2 weeks to treat premenstrual dysphoric disorder. I don't know if is going to work for me yet but the symptoms I have experience now is a lot of nausea yawning and I feel extremely tired. My sleep patterns also change I want to sleep during the day and at night am wide awake. I guess I will tell all this symptoms to my doctor on my 4 week visit which is in 2 weeks and see what she thinks about it."

kozmoz (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety and Stress: "If I could give this medicine a 0 rating I would. Back when I first was suffering from a lot of anxiety, we had tried this before I tried xanax, which helped a TON more (long off the xanax, on a longer lasting medication now). ANYWAYS, I tried this, took a pill before my 530am shift, went into work, and turned into a zombie. lost ALL feeling of emotions, was rude to the customers, literally turned into another person. called the doctor in 2 weeks and said get me in NOW. After 4 days i threw out the bottle, saw the doctor and tried the xanax instead. Celexa made my anxiety 2000000x worse. I'm someone with constant anxiety issues, but antidepressants like SSRI's and SNRI's make my brain freak out. I'd throw these out & let the trash enjoy it"

Anonymous January 16, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "After self medicating my anxiety for a couple of years with booze, I took initiative to regain control. Went to the ER, they gave me librium to detox at home. Helped tremendously. Walked away from my business (had to, that was my huge stressor, and it was going to kill me). Went through the roller coaster of emotions being sober. So here I am a year later. I asked my Dr for an anti depressant last month to help the lingering bouts of anxiety. She prescribed 20mgs of celexa. Starting with 10 for a week. First week, I seriously felt like I was on e. Euphoric, music sounded better, relaxed...but could not sleep "normal". My sex drive is back and in full swing. Still staying on 10mgs as it still feels strong. Sleeping better the past 10 days."

Quince (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017