User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram

Ann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

“Awful drug! Made me more anxious and nervous!”

Tony · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 3, 2020

“I take 10 mg daily for about 18 months, it has helped enormously . It’s the only medication I have. I exercise daily which helps. Overall I am pleased with the results but suggest you do not drink alcohol, reduce coffee intake, exercise, sleep over 7 hours and ensure you are self aware not to put oneself in stressful situations. Life is too short not to enjoy the journey . It can and it does get better but educate yourself on what you have and the triggers and your responses to life events”

Pdunky · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 11, 2020

“Tried Prozac, paxil, etc... Was given celexa as another option for a little depression but mostly anxiety. Started off great... Sex drive was back... Felt positive. Then j started doing reckless things like spending money and partying. I thought I was in control but I felt like I was on autopilot but couldn't take control and I'd watch myself turn into an addict. Took 6 months before I finally had enough and stopped taking it. Things are returned to normal but it's been 2 years. I'm so much better without. It works, but say goodbye to impulse control.”

Luke · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

“Started taking 20mg of Citalopram in June of 2019. I felt “odd” for almost a month before the side affects lessened. My mind raced all the time, so my doctor upped the dose to 40mg after being on 20mg for a few months. I stayed on it from June 2019 until January 2020. During this period I never once felt any relief from anxiety or stress. Actually, I was more on the edge than ever. February 1st I stopped cold turkey without any withdrawal symptoms...I mean NONE! After a few weeks off this stuff my mind started to settle down and I could concentrate again. While on Citalopram I could not absorb and retain information. I consider this “experiment” a complete waste, and wish I had never been talked into starting it...total disaster.”

James · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

“Had what a believe is generalised anxiety disorder for 7 years. I struggled to even sit in a car for a 5 minute drive at times it was so bad. Didn’t go on holiday for 6 years as couldn’t pull myself to get on a plane. Anxiety attacks were common and happened about 4-5 times a week. Finally I thought enough was enough and went to the doctors. Was prescribed 20mg citalopram for 6 weeks. Nothing happened so the doctor increased to 30mg. After 8 weeks the anxiety stopped. I didn’t feel any different day to day, only the anxiety attacks would not start. Been on for 3 months now and still not had an anxiety attack. It has completely changed my life, and was even able to fly to Germany to go abroad for the first time since the anxiety started. I feel so free, can’t believe I didn’t get sorted sooner.”

Sues · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 21, 2019

“I have been taking Citalopram for years, mostly 20mg. When I first took it I felt so ill for about a month, mostly nausea, tiredness and more panicked than usual. Then it was as though a cloud had lifted. I didn’t constantly overthink or worry and could start to enjoy life. A couple of times I’ve increased to 30mg to get through bad stuff in my life but I’m coping. I suffer from emitophobia, social phobias and anxiety and depression. The best thing that’s ever happened to me. Don’t give up if you feel worse to start with.”

amg433 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2019

“By far the worst medication I've ever taken. I started it while on paroxetine because I wanted to try a newer SSRI. Once I was weaned off the paroxetine and on 40 mg of citalopram, things got bad. I developed extreme anxiety, panic, and depression (I'm not regularly depressed) and I wanted to die just so it would all stop. I'm going to be transitioning to sertraline, which will hopefully be a great improvement.”

Froggie December 6, 2019

“been taking citalopram for 8 weeks now, feel worse not better, Doc says carry on, whats the point?”

Scott · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

“I have anxiety and I am on my 5th day of taking citalopram and for the first time in about 3 years I don't feel dizzy my stomach cramps are gone I feel a sense of calm and the lump in throat sensation has decreased. I have had diarrhea and disrupted sleep but feeling good at the moment. I expect will have bad days too but the big difference is the sharp stomach pains that I used to get.”

Ghost December 3, 2019

“One of the best decisions I've made. I was suicidal for the last year and reached the point where I would think about it for 6hrs each day paralysed in bed. I was always sceptical of pharmaceutical medication. I believed that doctors are just legal drug dealers (if you look into history doctors in the 1950's prescribed cocaine to house wife's and more recently the Xanax epidemic in the USA = an opioid. and lead me to the conclusion, that doctors have no idea what they're doing.) But the prescribed medication citalopram along with therapy helped me to stop my paranoid obsessive episodes of cynicism. The first couple weeks are horrific. But if you power through, the benefits are extraordinary. A new found appreciation for life. I noticed staying active during the trial stage (the first month) helped to reduce symptoms e.g. studies, work and gym. More specifically doing something you love. note: the medication is there to elevate mood, if you don't want to help yourself they won't work.”

CatLady85 · Taken for 10 years or more December 1, 2019

“I have been on this drug for YEARS. I am currently on 20mg daily. From what I remember when I first started taking it my only symptom was feeling tired, but I got uses to it pretty quickly. I don't have any side effects from it now. It does help with my anxiety and irritability. The only downfall it has is that if I forget a pill (I take it in the morning) I get sick as a dog with nausea and vomiting. Other than that I totally recommend it, I feel like its one of the less intense mood meds out there.”

Be patient · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2019

“I was prescribed Citalopram for severe anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I have been taking them for 5 weeks, 1 week on 10mg and now 20mg. I am now starting to feel like myself again. The first 3 weeks were the hardest with increased anxiety, insomnia and night sweats. These have improved and my anxiety is 80% improved. I did what most people do and read all the reviews hoping that the positives were true. It’s important to give it time it definitely wasn’t an overnight fix but for me it has worked.”

Dz · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 28, 2019

“So, I've had GAD, panic disorder, and depression for most of my 47 years. I've been on citalopram for about 2 years. Before I went on it I had to many phobias to name, social anxiety, health anxiety, anxiety about anxiety, church was so hard, tremors, brain fog, couldn't walk down the street without having anxiety cause of people, cars, traffic, it was awful. I had muscle aches, depression I would bawl all the time for no reason. Then I went on citalipram started at 10 mg currently on 40 mg. I barely have tremors. I do have insomnia pretty bad still. My health anxiety is great as long as I stay away from looking things up. My depression and most everything are so much better. I still deal with muscle aches but it's much better than before and when I exercise. I can work now workout trying to pass out. Give it a shot.”

khay · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 23, 2019

“First starting taking citalopram 3 years ago at the suggestion of my therapist. I was nervous to go on medication, but it was getting to the point that I was having intrusive suicidal thoughts at work and had panic attacks on the regular. My psychiatrist said it would take a few weeks to kick in, but within days I was starting to feel better. It was the first time in years I got through the day without chest pains! I can go months without a single panic attack now. I originally started on 10mg, but have been on a dose of 20mg for the past two years. The only real side effect I noticed was lack of sex drive for the first few months. Please listen to your doctor and your body, they know what is best for you. For me it was an absolute life changer! One warning: do NOT quit cold turkey. Briefly when I could not afford my medication I stopped for a month. I experienced agitation, panic attacks, dizziness, blurry vision, and nausea.”

HML · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2019

“To Brian I was debating whether to increase from 10 to 20mg as well but I did and had no side effects! Some believe that 10mg is not a therapeutic dose and that 20mg is more effective. Almost at 4 weeks on this medication (only about 2 weeks at my full dose). I’ve always considered myself a happy person, but just been dealing with a sudden onset of anxiety throughout the day. My mood improved very quickly as did my energy. The anxiety has definitely improved but I still get some when driving or at random times but it is manageable. Hoping that more time on the meds will improve these situations. Side effects for the first two days were brain fog and a ‘heavy’ feeling in my head. After those two days the only thing I experience still is some bowel issues (more prone to diarrhea) and a somewhat broken sleep.”

Lozza · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2019

“My GAD was so bad that I had to leave my job. My day to day life was awful. This drug has honestly saved my life, as my condition is hereditary and not something that I could avoid unfortunately. I really recommend trying this drug along with a healthy lifestyle and counselling! Good luck all”

Boaby1986 October 11, 2019

“Hang in there! It's tough adjusting to this stuff. I am now on week 7/8. I did 5 and a bit weeks at 20mg then 2 weeks now at 30mg. Trust me when I say this. Hang in there! I know it's a rollercoaster but I'm giving myself 6 months on this to see fully as I know it can take time for GAD especially. My anxiety was unbearable! It's still there and the intrusive thoughts come but they go quicker and I'm not scared of them. I now understand what I'm going through so it doesn't bother me as much. I was having suicidal thoughts and really scared of them. They still come but I'm not worried by them, I'm not worried as much by life, I understand that the anxious passing thoughts aren't mine and they come and go. They're just thoughts. Stay strong people. I know it's been the hardest thing I've ever done. All the best”

Tina · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 27, 2019

“I suffered unbearably for so many years with GAD before a new doctor changed my meds to citalopram. It had been the only drug to actually work and control my anxiety which was so severe it caused temporary psychosis during severe attacks. After 8 years now I’ve been great yet recently went through a very difficult time due to external events. After an increase in dose my anxiety is getting under control again. I am so thankful this medication exists.”

Brian · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2019

“Taking Citalopram 10 mg for 6 weeks..main side effects have been excessive yawning which in my case leads to tension headaches. Feel a bit calmer most of the time but still suffer from anticipatory anxiety especially when driving and in other social settings. I’m hopeful it just needs more time to be more effective. I put off taking meds my whole life. I’m 68 and my son swears by this drug which is why I tried it. I’m hopeful all my anxieties disappear in the coming weeks..Not sure how long it takes to fully work or what to expect for final results..Debating on taking 20 mg...Any thoughts?”

Jr · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2019

“I am on day 9 of Celexa and I can say it has knocked down my anxiety just a bit, but has made my depression a lot worst. I don't know if its because I haven't gave it enough time to work or what but yeah. Also had a lot of the runs in the beginning but that's gone. Also I feel like my memory is a little cloudy. As if the things I did this morning were something I did yesterday.”

ButterflyBee14 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

“I started having panic attacks in March of 2019. I started Celexa in April. The first couple of weeks consisted of insomnia, nausea, burning of my arms, anxiety and I lost about 20 lbs. I was scared to leave my house. After about a month or so I became better. I was able to leave the house, my appetite was better and also my mood. I've been taking 20 mg. I increased to 30 mg and then I went back to 20mg. I'm now breaking the pill in half and taking half in the morning and half at night along with Atarax 10 mg for anxiety. Overall, I'm 80% better. Give the medicine a shot. Everyone's body is different. It will definitely stop the panic attacks. Good Luck and God Bless!”

RIG September 17, 2019

“Firstly I would like to say that this drug has saved my career and relationship. Constant negative thoughts? Depression with passing suicidal thoughts? Panic attacks? Me too. All due to stress! This stuff citalopram works (for me) It takes time! Be patient! Only read good reviews as it prolongs it working with reading negative stuff. I'm on my 5th week and I'm managing to go to the supermarket for the first time in months. I can drop my boy off at nursery with having a panic attack. I can do my gigs now without thinking everybody hates me and packing up mid gig. The benefits out weigh the side effects for me. I had big pupils, sweaty nights, crazy dreams and heightened anxiety for a few weeks. Honestly this stuff is a miracle. I tried to go the natural way for months before with no joy and sometimes meds are needed. You are not weak! You are taking the right steps by asking for medical help. The stigma around these drugs is nonsense as everyone is different and these meds saves lives. Simple!”

zach · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 3, 2019

“I struggled with very bad episodes of anxiety and depression. I was never in a good mood, and always extremely impatient and irritable. I began citalopram, and I noticed an incredible difference within days. The doctor said there was no way this was possible and I could possibly just be experiencing placebo effect but It was such a significant difference that I am sure It was already working. The only downside of this drug was that the side effects began the very first day I started it. I never had much trouble sleeping before taking it but the first night I took the drug I did not sleep for a single minute. It took a couple of days to get any significant sleep at all. I also had no appetite for about a week and lost about 5 pounds that week. After that first week the side effects were non-existent and everything was well. I have been on citalopram for about 2 years and have had nothing to complain about after the first week. hope this is helpful”

ItsYaBoi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2019

“Been on Citalopram for over a month now I was given 20mg but I took it in halves so technically I was taking 10mg I took it at night cause if I took it in the morning I felt really sedated and weird so I wanted to sleep during it. I’ve now been on it for over a month and I started a new college in the city and I wanted to be at and I’m just down and depressed for weeks now I definitely want to come off them and try more natural remedies.”

Hope August 28, 2019

“Second time I have been on citalopram, a few years ago I had depression due to relationship issues, I was living with someone with narcissist personality disorder , anyway I finally got the courage up to divorce her but boy was I in for a shock. I ended up with anxiety and depression. How ever strong you are you are only human. I stated on 20mg and after 4 weeks things started to improve slightly, then I went to 30mg, it's my fifth week now and improving more, stick with it, initially symptoms can get worse but push through, you will get better, I can only say they saved me.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)