User Reviews for Citalopram systemic

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"Prescribed 20mg a day for moderate anxiety. Took the first at 10pm, just before I went to bed. After I got into bed I lay there....and lay there...and lay there. No sleep came, felt myself becoming increasingly anxious and my ears were ringing. After drifting into a semi sleep, I woke sharply at 3.30am to a bout of diarrhoea, before vomiting at 7am. Endured the most horrendous 24 hours of my life afterwards and took 3 days (obviously I didn't take another dose) to eat a proper meal again. Please make sure you challenge your Doctor about whether this is right for you. Whilst no doubt if you can manage the side effects it can work, be also wary about the long term effects and the withdrawal symptoms. If it's just moderate anxiety, CBT is probably better - some Doctors are too easy to prescribe without even explaining the side effects or understanding just how horrible they can be."

TWL (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2018

"I'm back! I originally commented on 1/17/17 on my early experience on citalopram. Almost 2 years later I have moved my rating from 9 to 10. This med has been godsend for me. It did wonders for my anxiety which I believe then ended my depression! I started at 20 mg a day and am down to 15mg. I also take about 25 mg of a anti-histimine (doxylamine)at bed. Combo of both I sleep great. Now that I sleep 8-9 hours soundly anxiety and depression gone! My experience too many positive to write all! Side effects for me are weight gain (because I'm happy and hungry lol) about 25 lbs. Not ideal but I'll take it. Also strangely I am emotionally flat. Never cry and really don't get sad. This is a mentioned side effect. I'll confirm it in my case. Weird, but beats crying everyday. Important to minimize alcohol intake. It neutralizes benefit. I try to minimize drinking to once or twice a week. Again, can't say enough about the med. Give it a month, God bless you!"

Njehealed (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2018

"I was put on the meds for depression. I have tried several types and had major issues with them all. Mr Dr tried these as a last resort and I never want to stop taking them! They are amazing. I have always been a serious worrier and since being on these it has all stopped. Like I literally don't care about anything. But not in a warped personality void type way. Just in a calm what is the point of stressing type of way. I literally don't care and it feels great. I started to feel well and considered coming off them but last week the Dr messed up my prescription and I didn't have any for 5 days and I was awake all night worrying about anything and everything and it was awful. I now have my new prescription and will never be without them again. I will certainly never come off them... ever. For anyone feeling worried about starting them after previous reactions or after reading the reviews please don't worry and give them a go. I was the same and I'm glad I took a chance."

Crazycat November 27, 2018

"I was like you, reading comments, being hesitant to start the tablets after many different meds, many failed ones. Well let me tell you; I’m 21 year old with a 1 year old. I have previous mental health problems but I was in remission. I had my child and boom came the anxiety over time it got worse and meds stopped working. So I gave citalopram a try after many meds made me depersonalised, depressed; suicidal thoughts etc. I'm on day 5 of this tablet. First few days were heightened anxiety, but my mood now is getting better, the anxiety is calming. Yes it is barely days and my dose will be going to 20mg. But it does have to get worse before better, accept that and give it time. I never gave meds enough time but this one seems to be doing something right!! Hang in, there will be help for anyone! I was hopeless thinking nothing would work. I will repost in 5 weeks when benefit should really kick in!"

ShanW97x (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2018

"I was put on citalpram for untreatable GAD, worse drug experience ever, I was prepared that it had lots of side effects, but when it kicked in after 6 weeks, all I can describe it as is being electrocuted with cold lightning from the inside out, but I stuck with it, every time I increased the dose my legs would stop functioning for a few hours so my girlfriend would have to drag me to the toilet. I gave up after 6 months. In the end I cured myself through exercise and diet. Worked out 5 times a week for 3 months and only ate fruit, vegetables, fish and nuts. Have been cured for 5 years now after 5 years of waking up every day thinking I was going to die."

GADrecovery (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2018

"I took this medication for 7 years. Started at 10 mg now on 40 mg. It really works but now I'm at the highest dose I think. Don't know what I'll do when it stops working. Tried taking myself off of it a month ago just trying to go more natural with my health. That did not work. Now I feel that I need to take meds as prescribed. Lesson learned. I am thankful for this medication."

Pris (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 19, 2018

"I had very bad panic attacks and anxiety after a bad time in my life. I couldn't get out of bed for weeks, felt panicked constantly, short of breath, chest pains, shakiness, aching shoulders and chest, eventually I went to the doctors. I was immediately put on 10mg of citalopram. I had side effects for several weeks but then eventually I felt ok, stable but not great, I got the odd relapse if I were in a shop /social environment and had to fight it somehow, so I upped the dosage to 20mg. I felt much better, but you're always aware that you may have a sudden turn. A year on and I've now upped it to 25mg as I still feel a its still a tiny bit there, some good and some not quite good days. Overall I can function pretty well in most situations, it seems to go away at its best if I keep busy, work etc. for now I'm keeping ok and managing it, a huge difference from a year ago, tell people you have this condition as it helps. I'll keep you all posted "

Gardener September 16, 2018

"I started taking citalopram when I was 19 and have been on and off it most of my life - I am 42 now . Just recently have been having severe anxiety and panic attacks daily so I decided to go back on to it. My main advice when you start out is stick with it - you will feel worse before you feel better. I know it works as has worked for me in the past . My main side effects are yawning, dry mouth, passing urine more frequently and feeling spaced out, but I know they will pass . Please if you need reassurance they do work just stick with them !!!"

Georgia (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

"Never again will I take this drug. Or anything like it. After 5 days of feeling so ill from this I ended up in hospital as my body reacted to it. Heart rate of 150 and high blood pressure. Whole body shaking. Chest pains. Headaches. The sweats. The anxiety and really depressed thoughts whilst taking it got so bad. Even though I only took for 5 days"

Michelle (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

"Overall the 40mg tablet of Citalopram has been very helpful with GAD and related depression. I was originally on the 20mg and around 12 months ago had my dose increased to 40mg. My symptoms have decreased significantly from what I would call fairly strong GAD and my mood improved overall to a very stable level. I found in the first weeks and months adjusting to the medication there were episodes of anger unrelated to anything happening in my life, which can be unsettling but it does pass. There were also times when I had general lethargy, almost like the flu, which only lasted 4-5 days. I would also add there was a strangeness to some of my thoughts. If anyone goes through something like that, don't worry it will eventually settle down! The Citalopram also helps reduce the impact of certain negative thoughts. I find it easier to lessen their hold on me and as a result a cycle or episode of anxiety doesn't kick off. Good luck with it all!"

MatthewMclean July 16, 2018

"Took this for three years and went up to the max dose. I was also taking Ativan for panic attacks. Celexa + Ativan = no panic and minimal anxiety. Don't recall any side effects except for feeling sleepy all the time. I would take that any day over feeling anxious! After three years, it pooped out on me and couldn't take 60 mg because of potential heart problems. I'm in trouble now cuz I went through all the SSRIs and none of them work as well or have too many side effects. Still experimenting with different types of antidepressants as we speak. Give this a try! Best SSRI out there! Made me feel "normal" for three years."

alimill03 July 11, 2018

"I was on 20 mg a day for 2 years. I didn’t suffer any side effects starting the medication. In the two years on the drug I was completely cured of my depression and anxiety’s. It really worked for me. The major side effect however was that I had massive difficulty in ejaculating during sexual intercourse. I stopped taking citalopram because I hated having to rely on a drug. Coming off the drug I experienced side effects for around two weeks. That was mainly dizziness and disturbed sleep."

Starman (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2018

"Been on this medication for about 7 weeks now have almost all the side effects headaches, sweaty palms, more anxiety and tremors in my legs and hands, tiredness and increased appetite. I'm on 20 mg in the morning and really wanna quit. I feel like this med is not working. But will stick it out for a few more weeks. Do feel a slight better but I'm still waiting to feel like my old self."

Chelz415 April 27, 2018

"Please do not give up on this med due to side effects. I felt really awful for the first 3 weeks, my anxiety got worse. Had a fuzzy head ache for 5 hours after taking med, I felt terrible. The Dr said it would take 3 months to really take effect. He was correct. As I remember after 5 weeks I could really feel the difference. You can’t evaluate the true benefit of the med for a long time. The side effects gradually go away. I can’t believe there is a med that could help me feel like my old self again. I did not take the full dose at first. I ramped up gradual with time. Stay the course, be patient! If after 5 weeks you don’t feel better you may have to change to another med. If you don’t give it a chance, you can quite and go back to feeling miserable."

Luvlif (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2018

"After 8 weeks side effects have reduced . Energy levels have increased weekly . Take 10 mg in the morning and it has made a big difference. My worry and anxiety have gone and I'm enjoying life. It’s great to enjoy the moment without constant anxiety I should of done it 35 years ago as I was trying to manage life without help . Bad mistake. I get mild effects like tiredness but it manageable as the advantages far outweigh any negatives"

Tony (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2018

"So after an incident on a night out after which I had a panic attack, I somehow ended up having panic attacks constantly and could never not feel my heart beating in my chest which was really put me off sleeping. Everything made me anxious and I became dissociated and couldn’t sleep. Five months down the line without any progress and I decided I needed intervention so was put on 10mg. First week I felt sick and even more hyper anxious. But three months in and I feel great. I’m more focussed, my heart has calmed down, I feel confident doing all the things I did before. All the side effects went within the first month :)"

Mj (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

"I have been on lots of anti depressants and this one is the best. I still feel like a human and my anger towards everything disappears. I always turn back to this medicine cause a lot of others ones I've tried in the past give me a blur in life. It's like feeling as if I'm just passing through life and not realizing the things that happens. One thing I will say is that this medicine doesn't let me get emotional much. I don't feel much emotions like sadness. Which is good for me cause I have anxiety and depression and I worry too much and this helps me out a lot. Hope this helps!!"

Anonymous March 22, 2018

"I’m 42, had GAD and mild depression since I was a teenager. Finally had enough of “just coping” and decided to get citrilopram. It’s only been a week but my anxiety went away as soon as I had the first tablet. I’m taking 10mg at night time. Side effects I’ve had so far are the sweats especially my feet, insomnia and loss of appetite. But oh my god, I can’t believe how fantastic I feel mentally. It’s surreal, it’s like I’m on a vacation from all the craziness that was in my mind. I feel fantastic, I can enjoy my loved ones so much more now, less anger, less worry. I feel energetic and like I can get on with things. I recommend this drug highly, the side effects are a bit annoying but it’s only early days so hopefully they’ll subside. I’d be happy to take this for the rest of my life, I really wish I’d done this sooner."

Chance (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018

"After suffering GAD for 35 years undiagnosed decided to see a specialist to work out why I worry so much all the time ... He prescribed 10 mg of citalopram and after 4 weeks the side effects of tiredness , sweating and headaches have reduced . I am preforming brilliantly at work without anxiety and at last can have a normal non anxious relationship with my new partner and 2 adult daughters . I found this drug helped enormously and super keen to stay on this low dosage because it seems to work for me without nasty side effects ... I have put on a few kilos but am increasing my cardio exercise to get lean again . Appetite has reduced as I am not overeating because of anxiety but sense that my metabolism may have dropped because of the medication"

Tony G (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

"I take 10 mg every morning and after 2 weeks of horrible side effects. Sweating , nausea and general lethargy the good effects are starting to kick in . Feel really good energy levels increasing , anxiety has reduced dramatically. Please please do not allow the initial side effects deter you. Pain does led to Gain "

Tony pepperoni (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

"I was prescribed Citalopram at the age of 17. I took the medication for about 5 years, and can’t recall it ever helping me with anxiety or depression. When I stopped taking Citalopram, the withdrawals were horrible. The intense withdrawals and side effects lasted about 3 months. Mild withdrawals and side effects lasted another 3 months. After the 6 months of uncomfortable withdrawals, I had occasional side effects that lasted another 6 months. Exercising often releases your body’s stored endorphins and seratonin. For me, working out and staying active boosts my mood and makes me feel good. At times, it is difficult to find a way to decrease my anxiety. One method that does help, is to recite positive affirmations about myself. It takes my mind off of the anxiety, and reminds myself I am a strong, loving, and kind person. I hope that my experience can help you, and prevent you from going through the horrible withdrawals that I suffered from."

Paul H. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2018

"Citalopram has absolutely changed my life. Two months ago I was an absolute mess, I could barely function due to very high anxiety and constant low moods. I meditated daily, exercised 5x a week and ate a very clean diet but all to no avail. My GP suggested I try 20mg of citalopram for 2 weeks. The first week was pretty hard, I slept constantly and felt nauseous and light headed often, but I already felt like a new person mentally. After two weeks the side effects ceased and I began CBT. 2 months on and I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, and even with extremely upsetting and traumatic things occurring in the past couple of weeks I’ve handled it amazingly and I’m still smiling and getting through each day. This drug has shown me that it’s okay to need a crutch, if you had a broken leg you wouldn’t think twice about additional support, and in my eyes anti depressants are no different. You don’t have to suffer and if you’re open to trying new ways to help try Citalopram!"

Docenom123 February 18, 2018

"After 3 days I am flying . Diagnosed about 1 month ago with GAD . Doctor prescribed 10 mg of Celepram , gave it ago 3 days ago. No side effects, wow did my anxiety reduce in a hurry . I am focused , my mind is not racy . I am attentive. Truly amazing have not been like this for 20 years . Running at 5.30 am daily again !"

Tony Pepperoni (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

"This is the first antidepressant that I used and it truly did save my life. I went from being so shy and not being social to being close to a social butterfly. However, it didn’t really help with my depression nor did it give me “energy” like people claim it does. It’s not bad and did help a lot but there are just better ones out there."

Sfau (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2018

"This medicine has been so very helpful! I have anxiety but I also get get IBS when I am anxious too. This medicine takes care of all of it. I don’t have any problems at all, unless I forget a dose"

AshCat (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2018