User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I started taking citalopram when I was 19 and have been on and off it most of my life - I am 42 now . Just recently have been having severe anxiety and panic attacks daily so I decided to go back on to it. My main advice when you start out is stick with it - you will feel worse before you feel better. I know it works as has worked for me in the past . My main side effects are yawning, dry mouth, passing urine more frequently and feeling spaced out, but I know they will pass . Please if you need reassurance they do work just stick with them !!!"

Georgia (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

"Never again will I take this drug. Or anything like it. After 5 days of feeling so ill from this I ended up in hospital as my body reacted to it. Heart rate of 150 and high blood pressure. Whole body shaking. Chest pains. Headaches. The sweats. The anxiety and really depressed thoughts whilst taking it got so bad. Even though I only took for 5 days"

Michelle (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

"Overall the 40mg tablet of Citalopram has been very helpful with GAD and related depression. I was originally on the 20mg and around 12 months ago had my dose increased to 40mg. My symptoms have decreased significantly from what I would call fairly strong GAD and my mood improved overall to a very stable level. I found in the first weeks and months adjusting to the medication there were episodes of anger unrelated to anything happening in my life, which can be unsettling but it does pass. There were also times when I had general lethargy, almost like the flu, which only lasted 4-5 days. I would also add there was a strangeness to some of my thoughts. If anyone goes through something like that, don't worry it will eventually settle down! The Citalopram also helps reduce the impact of certain negative thoughts. I find it easier to lessen their hold on me and as a result a cycle or episode of anxiety doesn't kick off. Good luck with it all!"

MatthewMclean July 16, 2018

"Took this for three years and went up to the max dose. I was also taking Ativan for panic attacks. Celexa + Ativan = no panic and minimal anxiety. Don't recall any side effects except for feeling sleepy all the time. I would take that any day over feeling anxious! After three years, it pooped out on me and couldn't take 60 mg because of potential heart problems. I'm in trouble now cuz I went through all the SSRIs and none of them work as well or have too many side effects. Still experimenting with different types of antidepressants as we speak. Give this a try! Best SSRI out there! Made me feel "normal" for three years."

alimill03 July 11, 2018

"I was on 20 mg a day for 2 years. I didn’t suffer any side effects starting the medication. In the two years on the drug I was completely cured of my depression and anxiety’s. It really worked for me. The major side effect however was that I had massive difficulty in ejaculating during sexual intercourse. I stopped taking citalopram because I hated having to rely on a drug. Coming off the drug I experienced side effects for around two weeks. That was mainly dizziness and disturbed sleep."

Starman (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2018

"Been on this medication for about 7 weeks now have almost all the side effects headaches, sweaty palms, more anxiety and tremors in my legs and hands, tiredness and increased appetite. I'm on 20 mg in the morning and really wanna quit. I feel like this med is not working. But will stick it out for a few more weeks. Do feel a slight better but I'm still waiting to feel like my old self."

Chelz415 April 27, 2018

"Please do not give up on this med due to side effects. I felt really awful for the first 3 weeks, my anxiety got worse. Had a fuzzy head ache for 5 hours after taking med, I felt terrible. The Dr said it would take 3 months to really take effect. He was correct. As I remember after 5 weeks I could really feel the difference. You can’t evaluate the true benefit of the med for a long time. The side effects gradually go away. I can’t believe there is a med that could help me feel like my old self again. I did not take the full dose at first. I ramped up gradual with time. Stay the course, be patient! If after 5 weeks you don’t feel better you may have to change to another med. If you don’t give it a chance, you can quite and go back to feeling miserable."

Luvlif (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2018

"After 8 weeks side effects have reduced . Energy levels have increased weekly . Take 10 mg in the morning and it has made a big difference. My worry and anxiety have gone and I'm enjoying life. It’s great to enjoy the moment without constant anxiety I should of done it 35 years ago as I was trying to manage life without help . Bad mistake. I get mild effects like tiredness but it manageable as the advantages far outweigh any negatives"

Tony (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2018

"So after an incident on a night out after which I had a panic attack, I somehow ended up having panic attacks constantly and could never not feel my heart beating in my chest which was really put me off sleeping. Everything made me anxious and I became dissociated and couldn’t sleep. Five months down the line without any progress and I decided I needed intervention so was put on 10mg. First week I felt sick and even more hyper anxious. But three months in and I feel great. I’m more focussed, my heart has calmed down, I feel confident doing all the things I did before. All the side effects went within the first month :)"

Mj (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

"I have been on lots of anti depressants and this one is the best. I still feel like a human and my anger towards everything disappears. I always turn back to this medicine cause a lot of others ones I've tried in the past give me a blur in life. It's like feeling as if I'm just passing through life and not realizing the things that happens. One thing I will say is that this medicine doesn't let me get emotional much. I don't feel much emotions like sadness. Which is good for me cause I have anxiety and depression and I worry too much and this helps me out a lot. Hope this helps!!"

Anonymous March 22, 2018

"I’m 42, had GAD and mild depression since I was a teenager. Finally had enough of “just coping” and decided to get citrilopram. It’s only been a week but my anxiety went away as soon as I had the first tablet. I’m taking 10mg at night time. Side effects I’ve had so far are the sweats especially my feet, insomnia and loss of appetite. But oh my god, I can’t believe how fantastic I feel mentally. It’s surreal, it’s like I’m on a vacation from all the craziness that was in my mind. I feel fantastic, I can enjoy my loved ones so much more now, less anger, less worry. I feel energetic and like I can get on with things. I recommend this drug highly, the side effects are a bit annoying but it’s only early days so hopefully they’ll subside. I’d be happy to take this for the rest of my life, I really wish I’d done this sooner."

Chance (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018

"After suffering GAD for 35 years undiagnosed decided to see a specialist to work out why I worry so much all the time ... He prescribed 10 mg of citalopram and after 4 weeks the side effects of tiredness , sweating and headaches have reduced . I am preforming brilliantly at work without anxiety and at last can have a normal non anxious relationship with my new partner and 2 adult daughters . I found this drug helped enormously and super keen to stay on this low dosage because it seems to work for me without nasty side effects ... I have put on a few kilos but am increasing my cardio exercise to get lean again . Appetite has reduced as I am not overeating because of anxiety but sense that my metabolism may have dropped because of the medication"

Tony G (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

"I take 10 mg every morning and after 2 weeks of horrible side effects. Sweating , nausea and general lethargy the good effects are starting to kick in . Feel really good energy levels increasing , anxiety has reduced dramatically. Please please do not allow the initial side effects deter you. Pain does led to Gain "

Tony pepperoni (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

"I was prescribed Citalopram at the age of 17. I took the medication for about 5 years, and can’t recall it ever helping me with anxiety or depression. When I stopped taking Citalopram, the withdrawals were horrible. The intense withdrawals and side effects lasted about 3 months. Mild withdrawals and side effects lasted another 3 months. After the 6 months of uncomfortable withdrawals, I had occasional side effects that lasted another 6 months. Exercising often releases your body’s stored endorphins and seratonin. For me, working out and staying active boosts my mood and makes me feel good. At times, it is difficult to find a way to decrease my anxiety. One method that does help, is to recite positive affirmations about myself. It takes my mind off of the anxiety, and reminds myself I am a strong, loving, and kind person. I hope that my experience can help you, and prevent you from going through the horrible withdrawals that I suffered from."

Paul H. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2018

"Citalopram has absolutely changed my life. Two months ago I was an absolute mess, I could barely function due to very high anxiety and constant low moods. I meditated daily, exercised 5x a week and ate a very clean diet but all to no avail. My GP suggested I try 20mg of citalopram for 2 weeks. The first week was pretty hard, I slept constantly and felt nauseous and light headed often, but I already felt like a new person mentally. After two weeks the side effects ceased and I began CBT. 2 months on and I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, and even with extremely upsetting and traumatic things occurring in the past couple of weeks I’ve handled it amazingly and I’m still smiling and getting through each day. This drug has shown me that it’s okay to need a crutch, if you had a broken leg you wouldn’t think twice about additional support, and in my eyes anti depressants are no different. You don’t have to suffer and if you’re open to trying new ways to help try Citalopram!"

Docenom123 February 18, 2018

"After 3 days I am flying . Diagnosed about 1 month ago with GAD . Doctor prescribed 10 mg of Celepram , gave it ago 3 days ago. No side effects, wow did my anxiety reduce in a hurry . I am focused , my mind is not racy . I am attentive. Truly amazing have not been like this for 20 years . Running at 5.30 am daily again !"

Tony Pepperoni (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

"This is the first antidepressant that I used and it truly did save my life. I went from being so shy and not being social to being close to a social butterfly. However, it didn’t really help with my depression nor did it give me “energy” like people claim it does. It’s not bad and did help a lot but there are just better ones out there."

Sfau (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2018

"This medicine has been so very helpful! I have anxiety but I also get get IBS when I am anxious too. This medicine takes care of all of it. I don’t have any problems at all, unless I forget a dose"

AshCat (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2018

"It must work because if I accidentally miss a dose, I deal with a lot of depressing and anxious thoughts. The few times it happened I was very depressed and experienced panic attacks on every occasion. Obviously it is effective if it is keeping me from having those symptoms on the daily. One thing I don't enjoy about taking this medication are the constant night sweats and nightmares I get almost every night; requiring me to sleep extra long at night and need extra coffee through the day"

Emily f December 1, 2017

"I started with GAD after I gave birth to my first child. I'd have panic attacks daily. I wouldn't sleep because as I dropped off and wake up gagging for air. This went on for a year without help. I then got to the point I couldn't leave the house and decided to get a doctor out. He started me on 10mg citalopram. I was on these for a good 2 years. It helped with the sleeping and panic attacks but I still left useless and seeing all the bad in life. Doc upped my dose to 20mg and ever since I started on them 2 years ago life's been brilliant. I enjoy life , I see the good in living. Don't wait to call the doctor. And don't just stick to a does that's getting you by."

Riolouise204u2 November 29, 2017

"I have been on citalopram a couple of times. I have to say for me it has been a blessing. The first four weeks getting this drug into my system were HELL. I have never felt so terrible in all my life but I did know once I got through the initial ‘adjustment’ period I would see the rewards and that I am. See this drug through, it is hard work but you have to weather the storm to see the rainbow"

Jembec (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2017

"I take celexa 20 mg for Anxiety and Depression. The medicine helps greatly for alleviating daily anxiety/depression. Everyone I know however has side effects when taking it. For me, I only started getting PMS after I began celexa. For men it also very commonly causes sexual dysfunction."

Paigek (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2017

"I'm new to having uncontrolled anxiety [from an auto accident] and taking an SSRI. I spent 3 weeks trying natural/alternative methods but couldn't get the anxiety under control. Went to a GP and who let me start at 10mg [20mg side effects were too much] and stayed there. I noticed a huge improvement after the 1st week and felt normal [with blips of uncontrolled anxiety] up until the 6th week when the general anxiety became heightened. I increased my dose to 15mg for a week [no side effects] and then increase to 20mg and hope that dose works for me. Stick with the drug as it does work!"

Epitaxial (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

"I spent a lot of my life struggling with generalized anxiety disorder. After suffering what I think was an un diagnosed breakdown my doctor changed me from Amitriptyline (very low dose) to Citalopram. Life has not got easier it is in fact the hardest it has ever been. I am divorced, out of work and struggling financially. However the Citalopram has relieved my anxiety and depression and made me happy for being alive. The only downfall is that I sometimes wonder if the lack of anxiety is the reason why I am not achieving financial freedom at the moment and that the Citalopram is causing complacency and making me too choosy, Perhaps however it feels so good not to have a dark heavy cloud over my head which was a constant source of mental pain"

Ulfet September 7, 2017

"I take Citalopram for anxiety and depression. Before I started taking it, I had daily panic attacks and could not function very well. I've been on it now for four months. I highly recommend this medicine. My panic attacks have gone down to weekly. My dad starting taking it too and it helps him as well for bad depression. I started at 10mg. I took that for two months and now I'm doing great on 20mg. You may have some side effects at first, BUT everyone I know who had taken it has not had long lasting side effects. Two weeks or so is about it."

Basiaka August 24, 2017