User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 4)

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 174 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 74% of those users who reviewed Citalopram reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram

Mamb007 May 15, 2017

“I read hundreds of reviews when I was first prescribed this medication and so many of the were from people having taken it for 3-4 days which doesn't give you a clear indication of how the medication works. I was advised it would take up to 6 months to see positive results, the side effects were bad to start and lasted around a month but I'm so glad I stuck with it. I have now been on citalopram for 6 months so can confidently say it has been a miracle for me and has helped me get my life back on track.”

Happy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2018

“This drug is amazing for my anxiety I could not servive with out it So much better then benzodiazepines Starting is very hard with side affects but stick to it and they all go away I am happy now and I am my self after 5 year of fighting anxiety Great drug”

Matt446 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 14, 2019

“Extremely effective in reducing anxiety. I had very severe daily anxiety and Citalopram has improved this dramatically. It comes with the side-effect of diarrhea. The beneficial effects Citalopram has had on anxiety has been life-altering given the severity of daily anxiety so the benefits greatly outweighed the negatives for me.”

Scott · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

“I have anxiety and I am on my 5th day of taking citalopram and for the first time in about 3 years I don't feel dizzy my stomach cramps are gone I feel a sense of calm and the lump in throat sensation has decreased. I have had diarrhea and disrupted sleep but feeling good at the moment. I expect will have bad days too but the big difference is the sharp stomach pains that I used to get.”

KAY87 December 17, 2016

“I would just like to say that these reviews can seem scary to someone. I thought the same after reading them. I decided to go ahead anyway with the citalopram. Started on 10mg then 20mg and now 40mg. These do make a great difference. In terms of side effects it wasn't bad for me. I found I was tired during the day and always kept yawning loads. Had odd sensation in my head for first few days. Apart from those symptoms I was fine.”

hopeful28 May 25, 2015

“on Citalopram 3 weeks this time (was on it previously for GAD and panic for 3 years, stopped it as I felt better). Lot of issues recently, bereavement/stress, and the old GAD and panic returned - ably assisted by also going through the menopause! Given the option of HRT or Citalopram I opted for the later. First 2 weeks were shaky to say the least but now feeling so much better. Mood has stabilised, sex drive not too bad, but eating so much more. Need to watch weight gain as have only just lost the 2 and a half stone I gained when previously on Citalopram! This change has occurred with only being on 10 mg. Hope to stay on this low dose, for ever if I have to, feel so much better.”

Tyyrantgod · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2019

“After being prescribed and taking citalopram, my life has changed in 3 short days. It may take up to 4-6 weeks for some people to feel the effects but I felt them very quickly. I have serious panic attacks and stomach acid issues that have made my life excruciating due to drug use. The drug keeps my negative thoughts and feelings (anxiety and depression) at bay ; stopping the release of the very painful stomach acid which is ruining my life. It’s the only thing that has worked. Again, only 3 days in so still waiting any potentially side effects in future.”

Anonymous October 8, 2011

“Citalopram has proved extremely effective at helping me overcome severe anxiety. I am a 42 year old male on 20 mg a day in the morning. I am on week five, having come off a severe benzodiazepine addiction and prior to that Alcohol addiction, all to cope with anxiety. This SSRI really works. I have not suffered from anxiety in any but the slightest form since I started on the medicine. I recommend it very highly.”

Anonymous August 31, 2011

Celexa (citalopram): “I have been taking Celexa due to many stessful events that made my anxiety almost unbearable. Tough financial times, stress at work, 3 miscarriages, being away from family, etc. My list is huge. I was surprised I lasted this long without medicines. I always tried to convince myself that I could control the panic, fear, stress, sad feelings, etc. Exercise helped but I finally decided to get help. I hate the feeling of always being worried, always going to worst case scenarios, feeling out of place, fearful of even driving, unbearable anxiety of trying to conceive again after my traumatic experiences. Anyway, I was prescribed 20mg of Celexa. Going on week 2 and I hope this is my answer. Already feeling better, no side effects except yawning.”

youngvibrant · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2015

“I had been dealing with generalize anxiety disorder my entire life. I couldn't stay focused, no ambition, always thinking the negative of any situation, feeling everyone was out to get me and even crying alot and getting down on myself. Until I couldn't take it anymore and went to the doctor. I have been on celexa for 8 days started with 10 mg at night for the first 6 days then bumped up to 20 mg. I started feeling the a difference after about day three. I feel absolutely wonderful. No more thinking negative. No anxiety. No trouble falling asleep. My husband even says it a miracle. I am a happy camper and the drug hasn't even full come into full effect. I wish I would have known sooner about my disorder & Celexa in my early 20s.”

Pris · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 19, 2018

“I took this medication for 7 years. Started at 10 mg now on 40 mg. It really works but now I'm at the highest dose I think. Don't know what I'll do when it stops working. Tried taking myself off of it a month ago just trying to go more natural with my health. That did not work. Now I feel that I need to take meds as prescribed. Lesson learned. I am thankful for this medication.”

Ive171 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 24, 2016

“Been on it for three years now after what seems a lifetime of swings into depression and out. This drug has stopped that and keeps me on a level that helps me to function. Previously 40mg now 20mg is good for me. The reduced dose also helps my libido as the higher stopped me being able to ejaculate. So alls good now. Though my gp thinks now I'm cured I should stop the medication altogether. I think if I do I will experience the return of my ups and horrid downs”

Lingling90 June 10, 2017

“Posted nearly a year ago about how I was going which was good at the time. Having been on them for 12 months I thought I could do an update. Has been really good for me. I suffer all the severe physical symptoms that come with anxiety and citalopram keeps them in check. I do notice if I forget to take my dose (20mg) for more then 2-3 days my anxiety flares up again. I still have the occasional off day but its never been anywhere near my pre medication days. Happy with the low dose. I really recommend exercise and eating well if you suffer anxiety. You can't make a judgement on only a weeks worth or less of taking this drug. I see lots of people posting 1 star after a day on it. You need at least 4-6 weeks to see changes.”

Anonymous August 4, 2011

“The first day on this kept me awake all night and gave me a strange feeling. Two weeks in and I feel terrific. No anxiety episodes at all. Give this medicine a few days to kick in then you will really feel the benefits.”

Lawsdeterious · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2015

“I've been on this medication for only 5 days and although most side effects normally aren't experienced until about 2 weeks after starting a new medication, with me the effects are almost instant as my body reacts to pills differently then most people, with that said, the only side effect I've had has been inability to orgasm what so ever I don't have a need to fake anything with my wife so she knows but it's just very annoying!!! Other then that, anxiety has been pretty good past few days, I generally avoid crowded areas but went to a couple and didn't have any problems so it's been good for me so far this week.”

Jembec · Taken for 10 years or more November 28, 2017

“I have been on citalopram a couple of times. I have to say for me it has been a blessing. The first four weeks getting this drug into my system were HELL. I have never felt so terrible in all my life but I did know once I got through the initial ‘adjustment’ period I would see the rewards and that I am. See this drug through, it is hard work but you have to weather the storm to see the rainbow”

pdey · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2016

“THis is the third time I am on Cit. this time its 30 mg. The first time was 10 mg and then 20 mg and now 30 mg. I am very sensitive to the side effect. Anxiety increases (both mental and physical symptoms). Now after 7.5 weeks (5 weeks on 20 mg and 2.5 weeks on 30 mg) feeling a lot better. The physical symptoms are close to gone. The enthusiasm to do all the chores, office work is slowly (very slowly) coming back. Waiting to feel my old self again.”

Nightnurse59 February 28, 2017

“I ask my doc for citalopram last October as I had lost my partner and soulmate in the March. I was heartbroken and tried to cope with how I was feeling but felt I wasn't getting any better. Since doc put me on these tablets I feel a lot better. I don't sit and cry they way I used to and just generally feel I'm coping with life better than before. They definitely have helped me.”

Ulfet September 7, 2017

“I spent a lot of my life struggling with generalized anxiety disorder. After suffering what I think was an un diagnosed breakdown my doctor changed me from Amitriptyline (very low dose) to Citalopram. Life has not got easier it is in fact the hardest it has ever been. I am divorced, out of work and struggling financially. However the Citalopram has relieved my anxiety and depression and made me happy for being alive. The only downfall is that I sometimes wonder if the lack of anxiety is the reason why I am not achieving financial freedom at the moment and that the Citalopram is causing complacency and making me too choosy, Perhaps however it feels so good not to have a dark heavy cloud over my head which was a constant source of mental pain”

Anonymous April 21, 2011

Celexa (citalopram): “I had lost interest in most areas of my life, lived in a constant state of anxiety and fear, and had become underweight. I struggled to get the right dosage of Celexa, took about 2 months to get it right. But now, almost a year later, I am a different person. I have started having fun again, almost nothing sets me into panic mode, and have become a healthy weight again since I regained my appetite.”

ludlow49 August 23, 2011

“Have been on 40mg daily for almost 2 years after experiencing a traumatic illness that almost killed me. Citalopram has saved my life by allowing me to function with some degree of normality. I am a 63 year old male who will probably have to take this medicine for the rest of my life. And believe me, I will do so without complaint!”

HML · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2019

“To Brian I was debating whether to increase from 10 to 20mg as well but I did and had no side effects! Some believe that 10mg is not a therapeutic dose and that 20mg is more effective. Almost at 4 weeks on this medication (only about 2 weeks at my full dose). I’ve always considered myself a happy person, but just been dealing with a sudden onset of anxiety throughout the day. My mood improved very quickly as did my energy. The anxiety has definitely improved but I still get some when driving or at random times but it is manageable. Hoping that more time on the meds will improve these situations. Side effects for the first two days were brain fog and a ‘heavy’ feeling in my head. After those two days the only thing I experience still is some bowel issues (more prone to diarrhea) and a somewhat broken sleep.”

Darren(UK) · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2014

“I have lived with Generalized Anxiety Disorder for as long as I can remember, like being sick before going to school every morning (I'm now 40). Nearly a year ago, my doctor tried me on Citalopram, mainly to help with headaches and muscle tension, but he commented it might help my anxiety as well (have had counseling sessions and Prozac, none much use). A couple of months in, I was astonished at how something I had come to live with was ruling my life and began to think differently about day to day life and enjoy things I used to worry endlessly about. However, I can now not come off them. I have tried to stop, but the GAD just comes back, worse than it was before.”

smithy9886 April 1, 2015

“Helps a lot with anxiety and depression but made me emotionally numb with a low sex drive (27 male here). I've been on them for about four months and am going off them. Don't use citalopram unless you really need to. I'm finding myself less motivated about life and apathetic towards a lot after being on them all this time.”

ShanW97x · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2018

“I was like you, reading comments, being hesitant to start the tablets after many different meds, many failed ones. Well let me tell you; I’m 21 year old with a 1 year old. I have previous mental health problems but I was in remission. I had my child and boom came the anxiety over time it got worse and meds stopped working. So I gave citalopram a try after many meds made me depersonalised, depressed; suicidal thoughts etc. I'm on day 5 of this tablet. First few days were heightened anxiety, but my mood now is getting better, the anxiety is calming. Yes it is barely days and my dose will be going to 20mg. But it does have to get worse before better, accept that and give it time. I never gave meds enough time but this one seems to be doing something right!! Hang in, there will be help for anyone! I was hopeless thinking nothing would work. I will repost in 5 weeks when benefit should really kick in!”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder