User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 3)

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 174 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 74% of those users who reviewed Citalopram reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram

_tiffany January 14, 2016

“I have generalized anxiety and I've been on this medication for about 3 months now. I saw a psychologist then a therapist for 6 months during my senior year.(I'm a freshmen in college right now.) I stopped seeing a therapist and tried to manage the anxiety on my own. However, it started getting worse the first semester of college. I would always leave the classroom because I felt really anxious. I would cry after class and I decided I needed to do something about it. My doctor prescribed me citalopram 10 mg. I felt jittery and had a dry mouth the first week but my anxiety lessened by a lot. I'm a lot happier now and I'm so glad I decided to start taking citalopram. Hope it helps you too! :)”

Dz · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 28, 2019

“So, I've had GAD, panic disorder, and depression for most of my 47 years. I've been on citalopram for about 2 years. Before I went on it I had to many phobias to name, social anxiety, health anxiety, anxiety about anxiety, church was so hard, tremors, brain fog, couldn't walk down the street without having anxiety cause of people, cars, traffic, it was awful. I had muscle aches, depression I would bawl all the time for no reason. Then I went on citalipram started at 10 mg currently on 40 mg. I barely have tremors. I do have insomnia pretty bad still. My health anxiety is great as long as I stay away from looking things up. My depression and most everything are so much better. I still deal with muscle aches but it's much better than before and when I exercise. I can work now workout trying to pass out. Give it a shot.”

Luke · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

“Started taking 20mg of Citalopram in June of 2019. I felt “odd” for almost a month before the side affects lessened. My mind raced all the time, so my doctor upped the dose to 40mg after being on 20mg for a few months. I stayed on it from June 2019 until January 2020. During this period I never once felt any relief from anxiety or stress. Actually, I was more on the edge than ever. February 1st I stopped cold turkey without any withdrawal symptoms...I mean NONE! After a few weeks off this stuff my mind started to settle down and I could concentrate again. While on Citalopram I could not absorb and retain information. I consider this “experiment” a complete waste, and wish I had never been talked into starting it...total disaster.”

londonfever June 24, 2014

“This medicine changed our lives for a couple of bucks a month! My husband had suffered with generalized anxiety disorder for years but until I was at the end of my rope and googled his symptoms we had no idea. We went to our doc, explained his symptoms, he prescribed Citalopram and oh my goodness life is as it should be. My joke is, my husband doesn't like me when he's not taking his Citalopram!”

Kell · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 24, 2019

“Was on Ciatlopram for 9 years and it truly saved my life. I went through years of terrible health anxiety which turned into depression and when I went on it, it was like my life turned around completely. I don't remembered any side effects other than just needing to be patient for them to really kick in. I went off of them this passed January. Weaning off wasn't that bad other than brain zaps and a little bit of nausea. I went from 20mg for about 7 years, 10mg for the last 2 and then 5mg for the last month. Then unfortunately life through some traumas at me one right after the next and I decided to go back on them. About 2 weeks in on 10mg and no physical side effects. I do feel the anxiety sort of on a little bit of a roller coaster but I plan to go back up to 20 in a week. I know these work and I'm excited to get back to being stable and living my best life!”

Crazycat November 27, 2018

“I was put on the meds for depression. I have tried several types and had major issues with them all. Mr Dr tried these as a last resort and I never want to stop taking them! They are amazing. I have always been a serious worrier and since being on these it has all stopped. Like I literally don't care about anything. But not in a warped personality void type way. Just in a calm what is the point of stressing type of way. I literally don't care and it feels great. I started to feel well and considered coming off them but last week the Dr messed up my prescription and I didn't have any for 5 days and I was awake all night worrying about anything and everything and it was awful. I now have my new prescription and will never be without them again. I will certainly never come off them... ever. For anyone feeling worried about starting them after previous reactions or after reading the reviews please don't worry and give them a go. I was the same and I'm glad I took a chance.”

Kee · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

“Been on citalopram approx 3 months. Dr started me on 20mg dose. I had every side effect for the first 4 weeks. Headaches, nausea, tired, stomach cramps and increased anxiety. Dr eventually increased me to 30 and then 40mg due to continued anxiety. Was sooooo tired every day. Constantly yawning when people were speaking to me. Now have cut down slowly to 10mg and feel fantastic. My anxiety is gone and my social anxiety is greatly reduced. My advice is to start slowly and expect things to get worse before they get better. I highly recommend this drug but keep reading the positive reviews to get you through the start.”

Nikovar December 17, 2020

“Citalopram is a rough start up and though informed of side fx, wasn’t ready. I am on 20’s and take them around 10:30pm. Days 1 & 2 I was unable to do more than lay around sweating, feeling heart palpitations and the most tired I’ve ever been. Shaky from pressure changes, a little dizzy and some gas. Slept around 12 hours. Very little to no hunger and a very dry mouth. Soup, ramen, popsicles and ice cream. Days 3 & 4 Was the first time I felt a lift of side effects though only shortly. Still a little dizzy, gassy and the hands and feet were really tingling. Yawning almost constantly. Slept 14 sweaty hours each day. Very little to no hunger, same diet. Constipation set in. Day 5 45 minutes after taking the pill, felt great for 5 hours and got hungry. Woke up after 8 hours and felt ok. 3 hours of feeling a little weird and a successful BM, my brain turned back on all the way and hunger came back again. Balance much better. Yawning still and cautiously using energy.”

Tasha August 26, 2019

“I was having outbursts of crying, shaking, anger everyday for two weeks and my stepdad said we've gotta get you some medicine, I was in a very bad place. I didn't know if I wanted to die or if I just wanted to hurt myself... but any little thing would set me off... I finally got on medicine and it was supposed to take 28 days to get in my system and work properly, But to my surprise things got better!!! The next Doctors appointment went very well, I was doing much better, smiling, laughing... this saved my life... I do still have bad days, don't get me wrong, but they are much easier than before... with Citalopram I've got this!!!!”

Dave Boy April 15, 2021

“I tried Sertraline but it had very negative effects. Then I tried citalopram at 20mg per day for 7 weeks and made me feel much worse. Titrated down to 10mg for a couple of months and have found that though it may not be the silver bullet for GAD it certainly does take the edge from it. Overthinking and having too much time on my hands are also factors which make my GAD worse. Citalopram helps me a lot while I slowly adjust my thinking processes and challenge negative core values about myself which took many years to build up.”

Retired corrections officer · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2017

“I struggled with anxiety & depression for years and suffered silently. At 42 yrs of age I asked my GP for help and he put me on 20mg . My anxiety is a thing of the past with no panic attacks and now go shopping on my own with ease. It changed my life!”

Shanwales97x · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2018

“So I posted on the 11th November onto 5th day. It’s been a crazy ride. It’s now 6 weeks since I started 10mg for horrific anxiety and panic. I was the worst patient medication in the first two weeks that I was taking it but I’m glad I have stuck this out. First two weeks was heightened anxiety (prepare yourself for it) and sickness. Moods were up and down I felt numb. But now they have all worn off and I have never felt as calm as I do. I had suicidal thoughts and everything before citalopram. It’s an amazing drug for me anyway. I have a 1 year old and I’m a only parent. Things get tough but my agitation has calmed down, I’m more patient and can get on with day to day life again!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2017

“A month ago I started having really bad anxiety, to the point I would lie in bed all day feeling suicidal. I couldn't eat (I lost 1 stone in 2 weeks), I couldn't sleep without having a panic attack that woke me up every hour and I was terrified this was going to be my life from now on. I was signed off work sick but had bills to pay, which added to the stress and anxiety I had. I had thoughts of ending my own life because I felt that hopeless and down and was worried I would never snap out of it. The worse symptom was the derealization. After 3 awful weeks of adjusting to 20mg citalopram, I'm feeling SO much better already. Please stick with this medication, I feel like I've got my life back..”

Docenom123 February 18, 2018

“Citalopram has absolutely changed my life. Two months ago I was an absolute mess, I could barely function due to very high anxiety and constant low moods. I meditated daily, exercised 5x a week and ate a very clean diet but all to no avail. My GP suggested I try 20mg of citalopram for 2 weeks. The first week was pretty hard, I slept constantly and felt nauseous and light headed often, but I already felt like a new person mentally. After two weeks the side effects ceased and I began CBT. 2 months on and I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, and even with extremely upsetting and traumatic things occurring in the past couple of weeks I’ve handled it amazingly and I’m still smiling and getting through each day. This drug has shown me that it’s okay to need a crutch, if you had a broken leg you wouldn’t think twice about additional support, and in my eyes anti depressants are no different. You don’t have to suffer and if you’re open to trying new ways to help try Citalopram!”

Carissa1991 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 26, 2015

“I had severe generalized anxiety disorder when my doctor prescribed Celexa to me. I had awful symptoms including, severe nausea and stomach turning, headaches, restlessness, drowsiness, tired during the day, oversleeping, lack of focus, and the list goes on! Celexa has really leveled me out. I can focus and I'm not making myself sick over minor everyday stress. I'm happier and more balanced. I couldn't have asked for a better result. I'm currently on a 40mg dose and it has worked consistently for nearly a year.”

Njehealed · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 28, 2018

“I'm back! I originally commented on 1/17/17 on my early experience on citalopram. Almost 2 years later I have moved my rating from 9 to 10. This med has been godsend for me. It did wonders for my anxiety which I believe then ended my depression! I started at 20 mg a day and am down to 15mg. I also take about 25 mg of a anti-histimine (doxylamine)at bed. Combo of both I sleep great. Now that I sleep 8-9 hours soundly anxiety and depression gone! My experience too many positive to write all! Side effects for me are weight gain (because I'm happy and hungry lol) about 25 lbs. Not ideal but I'll take it. Also strangely I am emotionally flat. Never cry and really don't get sad. This is a mentioned side effect. I'll confirm it in my case. Weird, but beats crying everyday. Important to minimize alcohol intake. It neutralizes benefit. I try to minimize drinking to once or twice a week. Again, can't say enough about the med. Give it a month, God bless you!”

CatLady85 · Taken for 10 years or more December 1, 2019

“I have been on this drug for YEARS. I am currently on 20mg daily. From what I remember when I first started taking it my only symptom was feeling tired, but I got uses to it pretty quickly. I don't have any side effects from it now. It does help with my anxiety and irritability. The only downfall it has is that if I forget a pill (I take it in the morning) I get sick as a dog with nausea and vomiting. Other than that I totally recommend it, I feel like its one of the less intense mood meds out there.”

Mia Mia April 17, 2017

“I started on taking citalopram 4 weeks ago for anxiety. I felt rubbish with symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, nausea for 9 days then I started to feel so much better. This is the best pick up I have had in ages. My husband said why didn't you start them sooner. I feel so much better. Give them a go.....”

RichA02 March 7, 2017

“This med has been extremely effective at keeping my anxiety down for close to 20 yrs. 5-10mg has been my ideal dosage, currently at 5mg. I'm commenting here so as to share my thoughts on side effects. For me, going on or off of this med, or changing dosage, results in feeling horrible for a period of time measured in days. If you feel similarly, make sure you tell your doc and perhaps lean on a med (e.g. a benzo) if need be while you're transitioning. But always try to remember (I know it's difficult!) that the bad feeling is temporary, and that you will feel better. Give it time to work for you.”

David N · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2021

“I tried 20 mg per day for anxiety and it made no difference whatsoever after 3 months even after upping the dose. It is my opinion that there is no drug available to humanity can cure mental health issues. I am now coming off this drug slowly.”

ButterflyBee14 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

“I started having panic attacks in March of 2019. I started Celexa in April. The first couple of weeks consisted of insomnia, nausea, burning of my arms, anxiety and I lost about 20 lbs. I was scared to leave my house. After about a month or so I became better. I was able to leave the house, my appetite was better and also my mood. I've been taking 20 mg. I increased to 30 mg and then I went back to 20mg. I'm now breaking the pill in half and taking half in the morning and half at night along with Atarax 10 mg for anxiety. Overall, I'm 80% better. Give the medicine a shot. Everyone's body is different. It will definitely stop the panic attacks. Good Luck and God Bless!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2012

“After two years of constant anxiety regarding my son (who is addicted to pain killers and incarcerated) I finally sought the help of my doctor. She prescribed this medication and it saved me! I am still ME , but can calmly deal with his situation with love and hope instead of complete sadness.”

Chance · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2018

“I’m 42, had GAD and mild depression since I was a teenager. Finally had enough of “just coping” and decided to get citrilopram. It’s only been a week but my anxiety went away as soon as I had the first tablet. I’m taking 10mg at night time. Side effects I’ve had so far are the sweats especially my feet, insomnia and loss of appetite. But oh my god, I can’t believe how fantastic I feel mentally. It’s surreal, it’s like I’m on a vacation from all the craziness that was in my mind. I feel fantastic, I can enjoy my loved ones so much more now, less anger, less worry. I feel energetic and like I can get on with things. I recommend this drug highly, the side effects are a bit annoying but it’s only early days so hopefully they’ll subside. I’d be happy to take this for the rest of my life, I really wish I’d done this sooner.”

Cedez · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2017

“I was started on citalopram at 20mg. The first one I took made me feel like I was "high", but that was pretty much the only side effect I felt that first week, besides a lot of yawning. I was prescribed 30mg after a month of being on 20mg, to help deal with my social anxiety. I've been on 30mg for about 3 months now and I feel amazing. I've felt anxiety all my life and its only until now my anxiety has lessened to almost the point of non-existence. I feel "normal", I can talk to anyone, I smile at everyone I meet. Everything is amazing! I hope your journey is as great as well! ♡♡♡”

meag April 2, 2017

“Citalopram changed my life. I started taking the drug 10 years ago, and I've been on 20-40mg on and off since then. I'm currently 24 years old, I started having intense panic attacks and anxiety when I was 14. Every other SSRI drug that I've tried has given me that zombie-feeling or bad headaches, but on Citalopram I feel like myself. I am currently taking 20mg. There have been times in my life where I've had to up the dose to 40mg, and times where I've weaned off the drug, but typically 20mg is where I need to be. I have no side effects on Citalopram, and if I do then I don't even notice them. I'm so thankful for this drug and the difference it has made in my life.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder