User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 2)

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 174 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 74% of those users who reviewed Citalopram reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram

zach · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 3, 2019

“I struggled with very bad episodes of anxiety and depression. I was never in a good mood, and always extremely impatient and irritable. I began citalopram, and I noticed an incredible difference within days. The doctor said there was no way this was possible and I could possibly just be experiencing placebo effect but It was such a significant difference that I am sure It was already working. The only downside of this drug was that the side effects began the very first day I started it. I never had much trouble sleeping before taking it but the first night I took the drug I did not sleep for a single minute. It took a couple of days to get any significant sleep at all. I also had no appetite for about a week and lost about 5 pounds that week. After that first week the side effects were non-existent and everything was well. I have been on citalopram for about 2 years and have had nothing to complain about after the first week. hope this is helpful”

blonddraider · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2013

“I'm one day into week seven and I caught myself smiling and singing on way to work. I wasn't anxious, or nervous. I truly feel like me today, I want to cry Thank you! I feel like a million bucks. The only real side effect I had was nausea. I would have it everyday if I knew I would be me again. So Happy me today! Yea”

Nikkisixx · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2021

“After suffering from generalized anxiety disorder, I took celexa. I had horrible side effects: didn’t want to leave bed, nausea, diarrhea, stomach pains, feeling like I’m losing control, anxiety attacks daily, dizziness, no energy, no appetite (lost 15 lbs). The most concerning side effect was that this medication made me depressed. Mind you, I’ve never had depression in my whole life and the purpose of me taking this drug was to combat my anxiety. I’ve been taking it for 2 months and my psychiatrist said it’s reached it’s “full potential”. I gave this a 3/10 because at the 7 week mark I had a couple average days. Average days really aren’t enough though to live a meaningful and happy life. A lot of doctors say that at the two month mark you’ll feel better, and that’s not always true. Things got worse for me on these meds. Wishing everyone who reads this all the love in the world and just know that things WILL get better, whether celexa or another pill helps!”

Full-life · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

“This is day nine of taking 10mg of citalopram for debilitating anxiety. I’m 59 and lived with different levels of anxiety most of my life. Three years ago my workplace became very toxic. I experienced shortness of breath, heart palpitations and a feeling of despair. I finally left the job, but the symptoms became worse and turned into what I would describe as PTSD. I take citalopram in the evening and within an hour feel a sense of calmness. I have no issues sleeping, but wake up and immediately feel anxious. Hopefully this will subside as the medication builds up in my system. I actually look forward to my next dose knowing that for a little while I’ll have a break from the doom and gloom, if only until the next morning. Because of my positive experience so far I really believe this may be the answer I’ve been praying for.”

Hope August 28, 2019

“Second time I have been on citalopram, a few years ago I had depression due to relationship issues, I was living with someone with narcissist personality disorder , anyway I finally got the courage up to divorce her but boy was I in for a shock. I ended up with anxiety and depression. How ever strong you are you are only human. I stated on 20mg and after 4 weeks things started to improve slightly, then I went to 30mg, it's my fifth week now and improving more, stick with it, initially symptoms can get worse but push through, you will get better, I can only say they saved me.”

Cam Cam · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 20, 2015

“I have been on Celexa (Citalopram) for a little over 3 years now. It is amazing how drastic it has changed my anxiety and depression. I have had severe anxiety and panic attacks right before I started on the medication. After receiving the medication, I didn't take it for about 6 months because I read the side affects about low sex drive LOL! During those six months I would have to take a klonopin (Xanax) almost every day because I would have bad anxiety or a panic attack. After the six months, I couldn't take it any longer and I gave in. It usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks to really kick in but when I tell you, that medication helped dramatically. I NEVER have anxiety anymore even for the things that would usually give me anxiety.”

Ted August 1, 2019

“Had very bad time wanted to end it all. I started on citalopam which took a good while to work - about 3 -4 months. You don't think it's working but you look back at how you were a month or two ago and realize you are a lot better. It takes time but you will get there. Every day gets a bit better ,you will have bad days but just know it will work and get better”

Georgia · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2018

“I started taking citalopram when I was 19 and have been on and off it most of my life - I am 42 now . Just recently have been having severe anxiety and panic attacks daily so I decided to go back on to it. My main advice when you start out is stick with it - you will feel worse before you feel better. I know it works as has worked for me in the past . My main side effects are yawning, dry mouth, passing urine more frequently and feeling spaced out, but I know they will pass . Please if you need reassurance they do work just stick with them !!!”

Tina · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 27, 2019

“I suffered unbearably for so many years with GAD before a new doctor changed my meds to citalopram. It had been the only drug to actually work and control my anxiety which was so severe it caused temporary psychosis during severe attacks. After 8 years now I’ve been great yet recently went through a very difficult time due to external events. After an increase in dose my anxiety is getting under control again. I am so thankful this medication exists.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2012

“Has been highly recommended as a true life saver, reading through these posts have confirmed this. I have been on 10mg for two weeks, and just upped to 20mg today, which is a more therapeutic dosage. People are quick to judge the medicine due to its side effects, which will completely subside after a few weeks. I had no side effects, and so far so good really, still a lot to go but my anxiety was crippling, and the depersonalization I had was so intense I didn't know who I was or what planet I was on for months. Wish there wasn't such a taboo with these types of medicines, and wish I had started earlier, basically I'll do whatever it takes to get my life back.”

Miahtay10 April 30, 2015

“I have been on this medication for 2 years now. This has helped me so much. It's been two years since I have had an anxiety attack and been severely depressed. I am so much happier and have so much more energy. I don't know where I would be without it. It has turned my life around 180.”

Finally relief June 25, 2015

“I've started this medication a week ago, and it works great! For someone who was always nervous over stupid stuff and worried about really nothing... This does help. I was to the point where I couldn't even sit in a car without flipping out or at least having a worry issue. Trust me, try this product. This has saved my life. I was down in the dumps for about a year or so dealing with this issue. This medication helped me a lot! I've watched some videos on YouTube about people and doctors saying "just get over it and get thru it". Yeah- easier said than done... I tried that method for 6 months! Never worked until my doctor prescribed me this! Hope this helped! I understand this med won't work for everyone.... But most of you it will.”

Angstigator October 22, 2011

“I was initially very hesitant to go on any SSRI for anxiety purposes, but when the constant "what if" and worst-case scenarios and occasional panic attacks at work were having a considerable impact on my daily life, I knew it was time. I started and stayed on 10mg citalopram for one year and within several weeks found that the worry was not GONE, but controllable. It just takes the edge off - lightens the anxiety and helps me rationalize and quit ruminating. I managed off them for a year and am now back on for extreme stress and am happy to have this option available to me. Don't psych yourself out reading all the bad reviews - have faith that this will help you, and if it doesn't, no big deal - speak with your doctor and try something else.”

khay · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 23, 2019

“First starting taking citalopram 3 years ago at the suggestion of my therapist. I was nervous to go on medication, but it was getting to the point that I was having intrusive suicidal thoughts at work and had panic attacks on the regular. My psychiatrist said it would take a few weeks to kick in, but within days I was starting to feel better. It was the first time in years I got through the day without chest pains! I can go months without a single panic attack now. I originally started on 10mg, but have been on a dose of 20mg for the past two years. The only real side effect I noticed was lack of sex drive for the first few months. Please listen to your doctor and your body, they know what is best for you. For me it was an absolute life changer! One warning: do NOT quit cold turkey. Briefly when I could not afford my medication I stopped for a month. I experienced agitation, panic attacks, dizziness, blurry vision, and nausea.”

Brian · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2019

“Taking Citalopram 10 mg for 6 weeks..main side effects have been excessive yawning which in my case leads to tension headaches. Feel a bit calmer most of the time but still suffer from anticipatory anxiety especially when driving and in other social settings. I’m hopeful it just needs more time to be more effective. I put off taking meds my whole life. I’m 68 and my son swears by this drug which is why I tried it. I’m hopeful all my anxieties disappear in the coming weeks..Not sure how long it takes to fully work or what to expect for final results..Debating on taking 20 mg...Any thoughts?”

MG May 5, 2021

“I have generalized anxiety. After 1.5 y of unsuccessful therapy, I was recommended to take citalopram. I tapered up slowly and at 15mg the side effects began (night sweat, increase in anxiety) but the worst one was severe insomnia that lasted for 3 weeks. I also had a bit of mood swings. However, at 4th week benchmark, the anxiety disappeared completely, the insomnia disappeared (I take it in the evening and I manage to sleep). I was slightly depressed for 7-10 days after, but my mood gradually improved. I’m now at 2 months in at 20mg and feel normal. I’m less interested in sex than when I was healthier (compared to 5 years ago), but I now enjoy sex better than when I was anxious. I’m extremely happy with the results. The only persisting side effect is a sight daytime drowsiness. If this continues at the third month, my dr will consider switching to escitalopram, a sister drug that is more antidepressant but less anxiolytic than citalopram, so it is supposed to be less sedative.”

Liz Adkins · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2014

“This medicine changed my life! I suffered from anorexia, anxiety and mild depression. For two plus years now I am free of these afflictions and live a happy well adjusted life! For me the results started immediately, maybe a little too much results at first. The biggest shock is that the day after I started taking the medication, I physically saw myself differently in the mirror. This was a huge step to overcoming my anorexia. I no longer dwelled on the motor mirror or cried all the time and my general anxiety was quelled. My mind was no longer racing and focusing on negatives. After 8 weeks I felt like a normal person.”

Claireyyyb · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2015

“I am taking this drug for several of the reasons to take it. This drug is amazing! Everyone worrying in the reviews please stick with this tablet! The leaflet that comes with the box states that the drug may initially make your problem worse but this will stop happening and your condition will improve. My pharmacist also told me that this drug can take 3 WEEKS to get into your system so PLEASE give it time. This drug has given me my life back and it could do the same for you!”

SofiaLondon · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2015

“I was a depressed with extreme generalized anxiety disorder. I was a total mess to the point I couldn't function properly on my daily life. I was put on valium (Diazepam) but it's a very temporary fix, plus it's extremely addictive. So my doctor change my medication and put me on 20 ml of Citalopram (celexa) a day. What a life saver it has been. Depression has disappeared 100% and my anxiety is gone 80%. Only side effects I'm noticing is my sex drive, it's almost gone. Also I feel slightly tired sometimes. But it's totally worth it. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.”

Sparkle · Taken for 10 years or more May 7, 2019

“Citalopram has saved my life . Eleven years ago I was suffering from severe anxiety and depression, my doctor started me on a 10 mg dose of citalopram which I must say for the first week I felt sick , headache and more anxious the doctor increased my dose to 20 mg and again later to 30 mg and after 4-5 weeks from the first 10 mg tablet I woke up one day feeling great , I could do everything I used to do I wasn’t crying I wasn’t anxious and over a period of a few months I was down to 20 mg , I stayed in them for ten years and eventually I got down to 10 mg every other day”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2021

“Was on citalopram 10mg for 2 weeks. Side effects was that I couldn't sleep. High anxiety a few times and nausea a few times . 3rd week and now starting 20mg. Nausea this morning. Just hope side effects are not too strong and don't last a long time. Want to feel normal again. Been a roller coaster trying to find right medication. Have high hopes for this one as depression and anxiety is slightly lower. I'm sure another couple weeks and I will feel great and I be able to sleep”

Nai1234 April 20, 2016

“I started on citalopram in September 2015 as I had extremely anxiety, causing me to feel depressed. I started on 10mg after 4 weeks I went to 20mg and after 4 months on 20mg I went to 30mg. It's been so fantastic. It did take longer than 4 weeks for optimal effect, I'd say for me I started feeling better around week 9-10, but it's helped no end. I worry less, process irrational thoughts better and anxiety has reduced 90%. Give it time, I truly believe if my gp had changed my medication on all my earlier visits where I was convinced it wasn't working, I would be worse off than I am now. Also engage with therapy.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2013

“In November 2012, After 4 years of unbearable symptoms (dizziness, headaches, facial neuralgia, sweats, spikes in blood pressure, ataxia, feeling like I was about to have a seizure) from about 5 times a week to 4 times a day and with medical investigations exhausted I decided it was time to try an SSRI. I had always insisted my symptoms caused my anxiety; not the other way round. Because of this, I put off taking the medication for about 2 years. I started on November 30th on 10mg. Felt slightly odd the next day but immediately noticed the anxiety was lessened. After 7 days I went onto 20mg/day. Things just got better and better. I'm still on the same dose now (Sept 2013). For me it has been fantastic. I'm pretty much 100% my old self.”

Feeling-better · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2016

“I suffered from anxiety and depression most of my life. I was just afraid to ask for help. Finally at age 37 I started on citalopram 20mg. What an amazing difference this has made in my life. I only wish I would have started sooner. I have no side effects other than the first 2 weeks.”

Ghost December 3, 2019

“One of the best decisions I've made. I was suicidal for the last year and reached the point where I would think about it for 6hrs each day paralysed in bed. I was always sceptical of pharmaceutical medication. I believed that doctors are just legal drug dealers (if you look into history doctors in the 1950's prescribed cocaine to house wife's and more recently the Xanax epidemic in the USA = an opioid. and lead me to the conclusion, that doctors have no idea what they're doing.) But the prescribed medication citalopram along with therapy helped me to stop my paranoid obsessive episodes of cynicism. The first couple weeks are horrific. But if you power through, the benefits are extraordinary. A new found appreciation for life. I noticed staying active during the trial stage (the first month) helped to reduce symptoms e.g. studies, work and gym. More specifically doing something you love. note: the medication is there to elevate mood, if you don't want to help yourself they won't work.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder